BonelliErede > Milan, Italy > Firm Profile
VIA BAROZZI 1
BonelliErede > The Legal 500 RankingsBonelliErede stand out on the market, most prominently in environmental regulation, public services and utilities, financial markets, banking and insurance regulation. A task force entirely dedicated to golden power legislation is a distinctive characteristic of the firm. Public law expert Luca Perfetti leads the administrative and public law team in assisting public and private clients in non-contentious issues, as well as representing them before regional administrative courts and high courts. Raffaele Cassano is another key contact with particular expertise in judicial defence, regulatory and independent authorities, as well as urban development projects.
Other key lawyers:
SACBO – Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport
- Assistance to TIM in the appeal of the awarding decision of the tender procedure for the so-called “Italia a 1 Giga” project, one of the most relevant tender procedures launched in the context of the implementation of the Italian Recovery and Resilience Plan.
- Assistance to Società di Progetto Concessioni del Tirreno in the procedure whereby it succeeded Società Autostrada dei Fiori S.p.A. in the concession of the A10 Savona-Ventimiglia A12.
- Assistance to CDP Immobiliare in the administrative law and urban planning profiles related to the sale of a buildable area located in the municipality of Segrate (Milan area) to Vastint Italy.
‘The highly skilled team covers a wide range of financial and banking regulations, as it has professionals specifically dedicated to different areas.‘
‘The lawyers are very responsive and problem-solving oriented.‘
‘Federico Vezzani is really outstanding in this field, both for the knowledge and experience he has obtained over the years, and for his ability to manage the team and different practices involved efficiently.‘
Banca Popolare di Bari
- Assisted Generalfinance on the listing of its ordinary shares on the Euronext Star Milan Market (managed by Borsa Italiana).
- Advised Banca Ifis (and parent company La Scogliera) on the regulatory aspects of a long-term project that involved the transfer of the registered office of La Scogliera from Italy to Switzerland.
- Assisted Casavo Management with the incorporation of Casavo Mutui and its registration as a credit broker.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is characterised by high levels of professionalism and reliability.’
‘The practice has a high profile within both the industry and the legal market – deep knowledge and long-time experience.’
‘The team is able to anticipate potential problems, and provides remedies and solutions to investors.’
‘The team is flexible and has a strong client-centred approach – reliability and deliverability of results characterise the team’s qualities.’
The team has a strong reputation among law firms and a long track record, which means that nothing is new to it and the group always has a solution for the client.’
‘Catia Tomasetti is nominated for her legal acumen, and ability to combine both legal and business aspects. It is imperative to have an advisor who understands the needs of business, and interprets them to protect the interests of entrepreneurs and companies.’
‘Catia Tomasetti and Giorgio Frasca make this practice unique. Availability, flexibility and fast responses characterise the approach.’
‘Giorgio Frasca has great professionalism and reliability – he is always available, even for the most complex situations.’
Alia Servizi Ambientali
Autostrada Pedemontana Lombarda
- Advised Fabbrica Italiana Lapis ed Affini on the signing of a contractual agreement governing a medium/long-term financing transaction.
- Advised Alia Servizi Ambientali (as borrower and issuer) on the financing of its business plan and the refinancing of financial indebtedness.
- Advised Autostrada Pedemontana Lombarda on the financing for the engineering, construction, and maintenance of toll road Pedemontana Lombarda.
‘An absolutely reliable player‘, BonelliErede‘s multidisciplinary equity capital markets (ECM) practice covers IPOs, capital increases, public tender offers and stake-building processes. Vittoria Giustiniani heads up the ECM focus group, which also features Alessandra Piersimoni, a specialist in extraordinary transactions, capital market transactions and company law. Silvia Romanelli, Carlo Montagna, Gianfranco Veneziano and Federico Vermicelli are also active in ECM matters. Federica Munno is a recently promoted partner, while managing associate Alessandro Capogrosso is ‘a future star of this sector‘. Former partner Barbara Napolitano departed for Gatti Pavesi Bianchi Ludovici.
Other key lawyers:
‘Knows the industry well, and its lawyers are efficient and extremely knowledgeable. Its track record proves this.‘
‘BonelliErede is an absolutely reliable player. However, its real strength lies in the preparation of its associates, especially Alessandro Capogrosso, who is a truly outstanding professional and able to make a real difference to a deal.‘
‘Clients can really rely on managing associate Alessandro Capogrosso, who has deep expertise in legal and regulatory issues, including international ones.‘
‘Alessandro Capogrosso – strong ability to manage and coordinate the different multi-disciplinary profiles of financial transactions and complex projects, with a clear understanding of financial profiles and the functioning of capital markets.‘
‘Alessandro Capogrosso has the ability to understand the financial needs and economic desires of clients, and propose innovative solutions and structures (thinking outside the box), as well as new financial funding structures and instruments, which have since became market standards – Alessandro is a future star of this sector.‘
B F SpA
MFE Media for Europe
- Assisted Generalfinance in relation to its admission by Borsa Italiana to listing on the Euronext Star Milan market.
- Assisted Investindustrial with structuring and executing a transaction aimed at completing a takeover of Guala Closures (listed on the Italian Stock Exchange).
- Advised Bialetti Industrie on the implementation of a new financial transaction envisaging the issuance of two classes of financial equity instruments (among others).
A domestic heavyweight with overseas offices in Brussels, London, Cairo, Dubai and Addis Ababa, BonelliErede fields a sizeable corporate department; the group caters to leading public and private companies on the full array of transactional, business and commercial law matters and is home to Umberto Nicodano whose transactional prowess spans the luxury, automotive, banking and manufacturing industries. Genoa-based Gianpiero Succi has close ties with the sub-Saharan African market while Enrico Vaccaro, a star name in Rome, is highly acclaimed for his know-how within the real estate, leisure, sport and retail spheres. Mario Roli and Elena Busson left the firm in 2023.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team, which includes Eliana Catalano, provides us with highest-quality, reliable and actionable legal advice for Italy; very responsive and client focused.’
‘With Eliana Catalano on your side you feel very well-equipped and safe for every situation that may evolve in any M&A-transaction.’
‘The team was very skilled and responsive throughout the transaction. Their work has been precise and to the point. Their knowledge of the relevant matters during the transaction (including corporate/M&A, capital markets and state-aid) was remarkable and the support has been valuable overall. The team has also offered very interesting seminars on corporate law matters.’
‘A great team which is capable of assisting you in all kinds of difficult negotiations. Always capable of finding good solutions.’
‘Complete coverage of different legal matters/fields – Reliability in performing tasks to agreed deadlines – Collaboration and case management among different lawyers.’
‘We’ve been assisted by a team of lawyers with an extensive experience, fully involved in all the legal and negotiation aspects of a big transaction, a big plus compared to other firms. A well diversified team both in terms of people and expertise.’
‘On top of the extensive experience they have demonstrated on the field, we’ve been able to build a solid team, able to work very well side-by-side for so many months and different situations. Always available to our needs and requests, I would mention in particular Mr. Gianpiero Succi who led the team and the negotiations with great professionalism and charisma.’
‘Enrico Vaccaro is outstanding, great support, available and competent.’
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Crédit Agricole Italia
- Assisted Edizione, as majority shareholder of Autogrill S.p.A., in relation to the signing of an agreement between Autogrill and Dufry AG, aimed at creating a global company in the food & beverage and retail services for travellers through a strategic business combination between the two entities.
- Assistance to Silver Lake – US-based private equity firm investing in technology-related businesses – in entering into a definitive agreement to acquire a majority stake in Facile.it from EQT VIII fund and Oakley Capital.
- Assistance to the Australian fund IFM in the operation by which San Quirico and IFM Investors formed a strategic, long-term partnership in respect of ERG S.p.A.
Italy > Compliance Tier 1‘The best team for compliance matters in Italy‘, BonelliErede‘s multidisciplinary corporate compliance and investigations-focused team handles both anti-corruption and corporate criminal liability issues. The firm owns beLab, an alternative legal service provider with a compliance management and investigations business unit, which is led by former associate Michela Maccarini. Genoa-based practice head and ‘very committed expert‘ Alessandro Musella focuses on corporate fraud, directors’ liability, internal controls, and compliance. At managing associate level in Milan, Vincenzo Dell’Osso specialises in corporate compliance, while Valentina Frignati is a corporate internal investigations expert.
‘The BE compliance team is really focused on this practice area and is able to suggest the best solutions to clients, demonstrating the best knowledge of matters from a practical point of view.‘
‘The team is exceptional. It has excellent knowledge of the Italian courts and system, as well as the US system, so it is able to work seamlessly on those issues too.‘
‘Very responsive, and always available to clients and co-counsels.‘
‘Very helpful in terms of technology and the review of documents in multiple languages.‘
‘Deep knowledge of the legal compliance environment and a business- oriented approach.‘
‘Alessandro Musella is a very committed expert.‘
‘Giuseppe Manzo and Valentina Frignati provided excellent advice and guidance.‘
‘Alessandro Musella and Vincenzo Dell’Osso represent the best team for compliance matters in Italy.‘
Caronte & Tourist
- Assisting several companies from different industry sectors in relation to compliance with sanctions issued by the European Union against Russia.
- Assisting several companies from different industry sectors on an ongoing basis, as an outsourcer, in relation to a third-party anti-corruption due diligence service.
- Assisted Autogrill with the design and implementation of internal anti-corruption due diligence processes.
Italy > Dispute resolution Tier 1BonelliErede is home to a powerhouse litigation team. Giuseppe Lombardi oversees the practice, which covers all levels of domestic and international complex high-profile dispute resolution cases, representing clients before all instances of Italian courts. Of counsel Laurence Shore leads the international arbitration team, whereas Enrico Chieppa, who specialises in corporate, civil and bankruptcy litigation and arbitration, was promoted to partner in January 2022. The department combines highly sophisticated litigation skills with expertise in individual practice areas and market knowledge.
Giuseppe Lombardi; Laurence Shore
Other key lawyers:
Vittorio Allavena; Renato Bocca; Monica Iacoviello; Laura Salvaneschi; Antonio Crivellaro; Paolo Daino; Paolo Di Giovanni; Riccardo Bordi
‘Proactivity and integrity . You feel you are in very good hands and partners will always go the extra mile for their clients.’
‘BonelliErede ranks among the top tier law firms in Italy, thanks to the unique capacity to handle high-stake litigation cases, technical skills, organisation, reputation in the industry.’
‘Giuseppe Lombardi and his team set the standard in the industry of legal services in terms of excellency. Lazare Vittone deserves a special mention for his outstanding technical skills, both with regard to litigation and non-judicial matters, and for his impressive analytical skills.’
‘Complete availability, the professional competence, the continuous attention you receive in any moment, in any day, always.’
‘BonelliErede is a fantastic, aggressive, and creative firm. They think outside the box, run develop strong and persuasive litigation theories, and go above and beyond when it comes to client service.’
‘Riccardo Bordi is a top notch litigator and strategic thinker. The lawyers at Bonelli really live their cases and care deeply about their client’s causes– and will keep digging and thinking until they identify solutions.’
‘We’re in contact with Avv. Monica Iacoviello (partner) who is very attentive to our timing (often very strict) and she is proactive versus our needs. They have taken in charge 2 litigation files with a very stirct deadline with very good results. They often suggest us the best way to settle too.’
Acciai Speciali Terni
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Bastogi (Gruppo Cabassi)
- Represented Andes Petroleum in an ICDR arbitration in which the firm acted as co-counsel for Claimant, a Barbados corporation owned by a China National Petroleum Corporation, in a complex dispute regarding hydrocarbon exploration and exploitation of a defined area in Ecuador.
- Represented Solvay Speciality Polymers SpA in an ICC arbitration in which the firm acted as counsel for Claimant, a leading international chemical group, in a complex dispute concerning the breach of representations and warranties provided for in a share purchase agreement by the seller in connection with health, safety and environmental law and a claim for incidental fraud.
Italy > Employment Tier 1With an established position in the employment legal landscape, BonelliErede‘s team offers practical advice on the complex and frequently changing laws and regulations in employment and industrial relations; it is routinely involved in drafting collective and general conditions of employment agreements, compliance matters and handles directors’ employment relationships. Well-reputed Marcello Giustiniani leads the group and frequently leads on matters in connection to senior management remuneration, reorganisations and mass redundancies. The team includes Marco Maniscalco with expertise in trade union matters and Antonella Negri who specialises in social security litigation. Further core strengths include M&A transactions, international employment law issues including expatriation, cross-border issues, downsizing, collective dismissal procedures and consultations with labour unions and the Ministry of Labour.
Other key lawyers:
Marco Maniscalo; Antonella Negri; Vittorio Pomarici; Giovanni Muzina
‘I work with Marco Maniscalco and I really appreciate that he understand very well how to support the company in managing particular situations never forgetting the strategy of the company.’
‘The staff is highly trained professionally and attentive to clients’ needs.’
‘Great availability and attention to detail.’
‘Efficient, effective and available.’
CA Consumer Finance
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro
Ernst & Young
FIAMM Energy Technology
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Unilever Italia Mkt. Operations
Facile.it Broker di Assicurazioni
- Assisted Telecom Italia with obtaining the annulment of a decision by the Italian Competition Authority to impose a fine of approximately €114m on the client for an agreement allegedly restricting competition.
- Acted for Telecom Italia (and its subsidiary Telecom Italia Sparkle) in obtaining the annulment of a decision of the Italian Competition Authority to sanction companies for abuse of dominant position in the A2P SMS market.
- Assisted CercAssicurazioni.it (Mol Group), Genertel (Generali Group), Verti Assicurazioni and Facile.it Broker di Assicurazioni with Italian Competition Authority proceedings to ascertain whether the parties had implemented an anti-competitive agreement.
Italy > Genoa: leading firms Tier 1BonelliErede‘s Genoa-based team specialises in corporate and bankruptcy law, dispute resolution, administrative law and shipping and transport. Clients include local, Italian, and international companies, especially in the shipping and transport, insurance and banking sectors. The practice houses notable experts including practice head Marco Arato who leads the restructuring and insolvency team and excels in extraordinary financial operations and Elisabetta Varni who specialises in corporate and bankruptcy law, with a focus on insolvency and extraordinary receivership proceedings. Gianpiero Succi specialises in domestic and international corporate law, with particular focus on cross-border matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very easy to contact and demonstrates speed in understanding customer needs.’
‘Reliability, professionalism, accuracy.’
Piaggio Aero Industries
- Provided general assistance to Piaggio Aero Industries S.p.A. under extraordinary receivership proceedings (“amministrazione straordinaria”) including, inter alia, assistance in the sale of the business complexes of the company and in the assessment of the bankruptcy liabilities.
- Assisting Intermarine in the negotiation and signing of military ships’ shipbuilding contracts with Italian and Foreign Navies. In the first half of 2022, assistance included the negotiation and signing of an agreement with Marinvest and SNAV (MSC Group) for the design and construction of a single-hull hybrid high speed craft implementing latest-generation technology.
- Assisting Pietra SRL (company fully owned by IMMSI, Italian holding company) in relation to the sale of Pietra Ligure SRL (corporate vehicle dedicated to the redevelopment project of the former Rodriguez shipyards in Pietra Ligure, Savona) to Chorus Life Pietra Ligure (Polifin group).
‘BonelliErede continues to offer a best-in-class service, anticipating issues and helping banks to analyse potential risks.‘
‘Very professional, great skills, and extremely dedicated to clients – the team is outstanding.’
‘Very deep knowledge of the industry and direct contact with policy makers, which helps a lot in anticipating trends.’
‘Catia Tomasetti’s team is at the very top level for sector financings – the team is dedicated, effective, fast to react and competent, and Catia has a unique comprehension and penetration of the sector’s deep dynamics.’
‘Catia Tomasetti is a true energy sector market leader.’
‘Catia Tomasetti is a leading figure who knows everything about the financing sector, and ensures successful transactions from strategic points of view.’
‘Catia Tomasetti, Gabriele Malgeri and Daniela De Palma have top-notch capabilities as lawyers and advisers, and are always up to date with respect to new laws/decrees.’
‘Catia Tomasetti, Gabriele Malgeri and Daniela De Palma always balance an understanding of economic issues with the legal requirements, and they are not shy about raising matters, meaning that their support includes real advice.’
Terna – Rete Elettrica Nazionale
- Advised Terna – Rete Elettrica Nazionale on the construction and operation of the interconnector infrastructure between Italy and Austria.
- Assisted Snam with the acquisition from Eni of a 49.9% stake in a newly incorporated company that will own stakes (currently owned by Eni) in companies that operate two groups of international gas pipelines (connecting Algeria to Italy).
- Advised European Investment Bank, Cassa Depositi e Prestiti and UniCredit (as lenders) on a complex financing and refinancing transaction involving two wind portfolios.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team comprises high-level professionals with in-depth expertise in the pharmaceutical field.‘
‘Vincenzo Salvatore is the most experienced lawyer in Italy for pharmaceuticals work – he is always very flexible, available and pragmatic.‘
- Provided regulatory assistance to Pikdare, a manufacturer of medical devices and materials.
- Successfully assisted Italian biopharmaceutical company Kedrion with an action before the General Court of the European Union.
- Assisted PharmaMar in relation to administrative proceedings before the European Medicines Agency.
‘Its strengths include different areas of expertise within the same firm, flexibility in its assistance, and its client focus.‘
‘Great ability to listen, synthesise ideas, act speedily, and prepare clear and comprehensive documentation.‘
‘Giovanni Guglielmetti has enormous experience in IP.‘
‘Francesca Secondari is business oriented and has broad knowledge of the luxury goods sector.‘
- Assisted LVMH with an agreement reached with Marcolin on LVMH’s purchase of the 49% stake held by Marcolin in their eyewear joint venture Thélios.
- Assisted Herno with the acquisition of outdoor apparel brand Montura.
Italy > Private equity Tier 1BonelliErede delivers a comprehensive private equity offering, operating at the forefront of high-end fund formation, regulatory advice, acquisition, leveraged finance transaction reorganisation, exit, due diligence and cross-border incentive scheme matters. Eliana Catalano, who is highly revered for both domestic and multi-jurisdictional deals, leads the practice which acts for traditional, infrastructure, special situation, investment and mezzanine funds in addition to portfolio companies and investment banks; she is supported by Giulia Bianchi Frangipane, a retail, energy, insurance, transport and financial services sector specialist, as well as Umberto Nicodano, who has strong ties to the US market and is especially accomplished in the fashion, luxury, automotive and manufacturing industries. Augusto Praloran is a key port of call for private equity players involved in the food and catering, equipment and industrial machinery fields. At associate level, Francesca Ricceri provides valuable input on cross-border deals, leveraging her prior experience of practising in London. The firm has a presence in Brussels, Cairo, London, Dubai and Addis Abada, in addition to Milan and Rome.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very responsive and attentive.’
‘Carlo Montagna has a very clear and pragmatic view of risk.’
Space Capital Club
Corsair Capital LLC
- Assisted the Australian fund IFM in the operation by which San Quirico and IFM Investors formed a strategic, long-term partnership in respect of ERG S.p.A
- Assistence to Advent International in the acquisition of Irca SpA, Italian provider of bakery and pastry services, from Carlyle Group.
- Assistance to the client, a US-based private equity firm investing in technology-related businesses, in entering into a definitive agreement to acquire a majority stake in Facile.it from EQT VIII fund and Oakley Capital.
Emanuela Da Rin; Paolo Daino
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a 360-degree perspective on issues and advises on the best strategy for the management of problems. The client always receives a realistic picture of what it is possible.’
‘Very solid professional skills in this sector – commitment, strong negotiation abilities, and great availability and engagement.’
‘Ability to understand business topics, in-depth analyses, and solid preparation.’
‘A very professional team that is fully involved and has strong real estate knowledge.‘
‘The team at BE has a special ability to understand clients’ challenges and requirements, particularly companies operating in international environments and conducting specific work in Italy’s regulated environment.’
‘Giuseppe Manzo’s ability and willingness to work with an initially small amount of information and expand it into something that is useful for clients is highly appreciated. His contact network also allows clients to get connected to the relevant third parties.’
‘Giuseppe Manzo is very competent, even on complex technical matters, as well as being experienced in handling negotiations with counterparties.’
‘Giuseppe Manzo is an exceptional lawyer, who is always able to understand the technical issues and find the best solutions.’
Amundi Real Estate Italia SGR
- Assisted Azora (a Spanish real estate investment firm) with the acquisition from Carlo Maresca of Bluserena, an operator of holiday resorts in Italy.
- Assisted Lendlease with several mandates relating to the development of the MIND Milano Innovation District, a regeneration project that opened in Milan in 2022.
- Assisted Coima with the purchase of the iconic Smeraldo building in Milan from Eataly Real Estate.
Other key lawyers:
‘Vittorio is a very strong professional, nice to work with and available.’
‘The knowledge of the law / the ability to find an angle.’
‘I very much appreciated their fine knowledge of the Italian insolvency law on. Out-of-court settlements and their ability to manage many banks each with different interests and point of view. Also in the final part I must report the courtesy and availability of Giampaolo Ciervo to reach a conclusion useful for all contenders.’
‘The Restructuring and insolvency practice in BonelliErede is the best I have so far experienced in my life. I strongly advise any other potential client to contact this firm. It is by far the best law firm in Italy nowadays.’
‘I work with Gianpaolo Ciervo. I must say he is the best attorney I ever worked with, he has extensive knowledge, and I must say he really stands out as a lawyer of extraordinary skills.’
Piaggio Aero Industries in amministrazione straordinaria
Salumificio Toscano Piacenti
- Assisted Piaggio Aero Industries under extraordinary receivership proceedings including, inter alia, assistance in the sale of the business complexes of the company and in the assessment of the bankruptcy liabilities.
- Assisted Pessina Costruzioni in relation to the restructuring of its indebtedness, through a composition with creditors procedure aimed at preserving the going concern of the company.
- Assisted Bialetti in executing the closing of the restructuring of company’s debt and the relaunch of its business.
Italy > Tax Tier 1BonelliErede‘s sizeable tax department is sought out for both advisory matters and heavyweight tax disputes. Its expertise covers international taxation, income tax, transfer pricing, VAT, M&A, and financial taxation. Stefano Simontacchi is also director of the Leiden Transfer Pricing Research Centre; Riccardo Ubaldini specialises in national and international tax law; and Marco Adda focuses on international taxation, transfer pricing, bilateral procedures, and international standard rulings. Other specialists are Stefano Brunello and Francesco Scandone, along with senior counsel Giampaolo Genta. Andrea Silvestri, Matteo Fanni and Giulio Mazzotti left for Legance - Avvocati Associati in June 2023.
Other key lawyers:
‘Outstanding skills and commitment.‘
‘The ability to understand and anticipate clients’ needs, and an extended knowledge of the market and many different sectors.‘
‘The team is always able to identify problems and deal breakers, and to propose to clients the most feasible alternatives in order to manage them.‘
‘BE remains the top law firm in Italy, providing tax and legal services for substantial, and not ordinary, issues.‘
‘The tax team is very strong, both in terms of technical knowledge and its network.‘
‘Professionals who are very skilled and business oriented, and provide very specific and tailored assistance.‘
‘The team are reliable advisers, who understand clients’ needs immediately, and have good relationships with Italy’s central tax authorities.‘
‘Francesco Scandone is a highly appreciated tax lawyer.‘
CDP – Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
- Assisted Engineering Ingegneria Informatica with the tax aspects of the purchase of approximately 43% of Be Shaping the Future.
- Assisted Crédit Agricole Consumer Finance and Crédit Agricole with the execution of an agreement with Stellantis and FCA Italy.
- Advised Webuild on the integration with its subsidiary Astaldi.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a strong track record and is always up to date on the latest regulations.’
‘Strong sector focus and a high level of know-how from the whole team (also at junior levels).’
‘Catia Tomasetti is by far one of the most brilliant lawyers in Italy’s energy and infrastructure sectors.’
‘Catia Tomasetti has a strong track record in financing – she also has strong relationships with institutions that allow her to be up to date on the sector’s regulatory developments.’
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Crédit Agricole Italia
- Assisted a pool of banks with the signing of a three-year, €410m sustainability-linked revolving credit facility for Italian multi-utility company A2A.
- Assisted European Investment Bank, Cassa Depositi e Prestiti and UniCredit with a complex financing and refinancing transaction involving two wind farm portfolios.
- Assisted the lenders (a pool of banks comprising BNL Gruppo BNP Paribas, Banco Bpm and Intesa Sanpaolo) with a €500m loan granted to Lavazza.
Bank of America
Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane
JP Morgan Asset Management
- Assisted Eurofima with the global issuance of Ferrovie dello Stato’s green bond in various tranches.
- Assisted Banca Ifis in relation to the Iccrea Banking Group’s fifth securitisation.
- Assists Deutsche Bank (and other Italian and international banks) with complex derivative transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fantastic and available people, they answer very fast, and have fantastic skills.’
‘They work with an holistic approach and follow the client in any kind of concerns. They propose innovative solutions in the management of issues.’
‘Tommaso Faelli has an outstanding style of work, he is able to anticipate your needs, and demonstrates a deep knowledge of the matter. He is efficient and responsive.’
‘The team of Bonelli Erede has been very helpful in a wide range of matters.’
‘Giulia Tenaglia’s approach to privacy matters is remarkable.’
- Represented the Italian energy company Enel Energia before the Court in the appeal against a fine imposed by the Italian Data Protection Authority.
Italy > Industry focus: TMT Tier 2BonelliErede’s digital innovation focus team routinely supports companies on start-up, acquisition, development and protection of digital innovation issues. The department is also often engaged in fintech matters, including blockchain technology, crowdfunding and digital payment work, as well as virtual currency mandates in the regtech sector. Tommaso Faelli leads the practice and is proficient in IP issues, particularly trade marks, patents and e-commerce issues, as well as IT and data protection matters.
- Assisted TIM with a submission of a proposal to the Italian Ministry for Technological Innovation and Digital Transition aimed at creating a National Strategic Hub, collecting data manged by public administration.
- Assisted RML Comunicazione and Lux Vide in relation to the negotiation of the agreements for the acquisition of a 70% stake in Lux Vide (Italy’s leading independent television production company, launched in 1992) made by Fremantle.
Other key lawyers:
Giovanni Guglielmetti; Giulia Pasqualetto; Pasquale Tammaro
‘The team is very capable in all areas of IP and related matters, from the most traditional to the newest topics. They are up to speed with case law and the most recent innovations in terms of laws and regulations. They can provide advise also for other jurisdictions, not only with the help of best friends network.’
‘Fast, accurate and immediately applicable opinions: Giovanni Guglielmetti and Pasquale Tammaro.’
Milano Cortina 2026
H&H Health and Happiness
- Assisted the Milano Cortina 2026 Foundation – the national committee organising the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in Italy in 2026- regarding the IP/IT and Digital profiles.
- Represented and defended Piaggio & C. successfully in the first patent infringement proceedings brought by Piaggio against Peugeot and other dealers before the Court of Milano.
- Assisted Mario Schifano’s heirs in the Supreme Court case against the M.S. Multistudio Foundation for having published a “catalogue” containing 24 thousand works by the artist.
BonelliErede > Firm Profile
Founded in 1999 from the merger of three Italian law firms, BonelliErede is one of the largest independent law firms in Italy, with offices in Milan, Rome, Genoa, Brussels, London, Cairo (in cooperation with Bahaa-Eldin Law Office), Addis Ababa (in cooperation with Tameru Wondm Agegnehu Law Office) and Dubai. The firm is a true international player that offers a full range of commercial legal and tax services, combining business acumen with academic excellence.
To better respond to clients’ needs, BonelliErede offers support through a number of specialised Focus Teams, which bring together the legal expertise of its professionals from various practice areas. The Focus Teams are organised by sector and practice area and pool their individual legal expertise and in-depth sector knowledge to offer clients assistance with all aspects of their businesses.
BonelliErede has also launched its first alternative legal services provider: beLab S.p.A.. This company exploits legal digital technologies to provide services and solutions in collaboration with select partners based on a co-evolution approach.
BonelliErede comprises 91 partners, 6 local partners, 26 of counsels, more than 400 associates – bringing the total, including staff, to over 800 people. Among its lawyers, it boasts 20 university professors.
BonelliErede currently has three strategic outposts in Africa and the Middle East: Cairo, Addis Ababa, and Dubai. The Cairo and Addis Ababa offices were established in 2016 and are the hub for the firm’s development plans in Africa — the Dubai office opened in 2017. In addition, thanks to a cooperation agreement with Zahaf & Partners, we are also present in Tripoli.BonelliErede also works with the Best Friends network, which is made up of leading firms from around the world, including: Bredin Prat in France, De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek in the Netherlands, Hengeler Mueller in Germany, Slaughter and May in the UK and Uría Menéndez in Spain.
|Marco Adda||Partner, Marco Adda specialises in tax law with a particular focus on…||View Profile|
|Angelino Alfano||Partner, Angelino Alfano specialises in civil law and international relations with particular…||View Profile|
|Alessandro Balp||Partner, Alessandro Balp specialises in corporate law with particular focus on extraordinary…||View Profile|
|Massimo Baroni||Partner, Massimo Baroni specialises in litigation with particular focus on real estate,…||View Profile|
|Giovanni Battaglia||Managing Associate, Giovanni Battaglia specialises banking and finance with particular focus on…||View Profile|
|Giulia Bianchi Frangipane||Partner, Giulia Bianchi Frangipane specialises in corporate law with particular expertise in…||View Profile|
|Giorgio Bitonto||Managing Associate, Giorgio Bitonto specialises in competition/antitrust, with particular focus on proceedings…||View Profile|
|Matteo Bonelli||Partner, Matteo Bonelli specialises in corporate law and commercial contracts with particular…||View Profile|
|Stefano Brunello||Partner, Stefano Brunello specialises in tax law with particular expertise in mergers…||View Profile|
|Stefano Calabria||Senior Associate, Stefano Calabria specialises in employment law with particular expertise in…||View Profile|
|Alessandro Capogrosso||Managing Associate, Alessandro Capogrosso specialises in corporate law and extraordinary transactions with…||View Profile|
|Eliana Catalano||Partner, Eliana Catalano specialises in Corporate and M&A (both domestic and cross-border),…||View Profile|
|Enrico Chieppa||Partner, Enrico Chieppa specialises corporate, civil and bankruptcy litigation and arbitration, with…||View Profile|
|Gianpaolo Ciervo||Partner, Gianpaolo Ciervo specailises in Corporate law, banking and bankruptcy law with…||View Profile|
|Federico Cocito||Managing Associate, Federico Cocito specialises in banking and finance and he is…||View Profile|
|Emanuela Da Rin||Partner, Emanuela Da Rin specialises in banking and finance with particular focus…||View Profile|
|Paolo Daino||Partner, Paolo Daino specialises in corporate M&A, commercial contracts, litigation and international…||View Profile|
|Daniela De Palma||Managing Associate, Daniela De Palma specialises in banking and finance, with particular…||View Profile|
|Vincenzo Dell’Osso||Managing Associate, Vincenzo Dell’Osso specialises in corporate compliance, with particular focus on…||View Profile|
|Tommaso Faelli||Partner, Tommaso Faelli specialises in intellectual property (trademarks, patents, copyright, design, unfair…||View Profile|
|Matteo Fanni||Partner, Matteo Fanni specialises in tax law with particular expertise in dealing…||View Profile|
|Monica Fantino||Senior Counsel, Monica Fantino specialises in commercial and corporate law expert in…||View Profile|
|Valentina Frignati||Managing Associate, Valentina Frignati specialises corporate internal investigations, corporate compliance and corporate…||View Profile|
|Elettra Gaspari||Junior Associate, Elettra Gaspari specialises in corporate and European Union law, with…||View Profile|
|Giampaolo Genta||Senior Counsel, Giampaolo Genta specialises in tax law with particular focus on…||View Profile|
|Samuel Ghizzardi||Senior Associate, Samuel Ghizzardi secialises in corporate law with a particular focus…||View Profile|
|Vittoria Giustiniani||Partner, Vittoria Giustiniani specialises in corporate law, M&A, capital markets, corporate restructuring…||View Profile|
|Marcello Giustiniani||Partner, Marcello Giustiniani specialises in employment law with particular focus on management…||View Profile|
|Giovanni Guglielmetti||Partner, Giovanni Guglielmetti specialises in intellectual property with particular focus on patents,…||View Profile|
|Elena Guizzetti||Managing Associate, Elena Guizzetti specialises in private equity, corporate law and restructuring.||View Profile|
|Monica Iacoviello||Partner, Monica Iacoviello specialises in litigation, both judicial and arbitral, in civil,…||View Profile|
|Antonio La Porta||Banking & Finance lawyer expert in structured finance, securitisation operations, covered bonds,…||View Profile|
|Giuseppe Sacchi Lodispoto||Partner, Giuseppe Sacchi Lodispoto specialises in banking and finance with particular focus…||View Profile|
|Giuseppe Lombardi||Partner, Giuseppe Lombardi specialises in litigation and arbitration with particular focus on…||View Profile|
|Gabriele Malgeri||Partner, Gabriele Malgeri specialises in banking and finance, project finance, financial and…||View Profile|
|Chiara Mancini||Partner, Chiara Mancini specialises in domestic and cross-border commercial litigation and arbitration.…||View Profile|
|Marco Maniscalco||Partner, Marco Maniscalco specialises in Employment law and provides in and out-of-court…||View Profile|
|Andrea Carta Mantiglia||Partner, Andrea Carta Mantiglia specialises in corporate law with particular focus on…||View Profile|
|Andrea Manzitti||Of counsel, Andrea Manzitti specialises in tax law and tax litigation, in…||View Profile|
|Giuseppe Manzo||Partner, Giuseppe Manzo specialises in corporate M&A, commercial contracts and international procurement…||View Profile|
|Nicola Marchioro||Partner, Nicola Marchioro specialises in corporate law with particualr focus on M&A,…||View Profile|
|Carlo Montagna||Partner, Carlo Montagna specialises in corporate law, M&A and capital markets including…||View Profile|
|Federica Munno||Partner, Federica Munno specialises in corporate law, with particular focus on capital…||View Profile|
|Antonella Negri||Partner, Antonella Negri specalises in employment law and industrial relations with particular…||View Profile|
|Umberto Nicodano||Partner, Umberto Nicodano specialises in corporate governance, M&A (public and private) with…||View Profile|
|Paolo Oliviero||Partner, Paolo Oliverio specialises in corporate and restructuring and insolvency with particular…||View Profile|
|Giulia Pasqualetto||Junior Associate, Giulia Pasqualetto specialises in IP law with particular expertise in…||View Profile|
|Luca Perfetti||Partner, Luca Perfetti specialises in administrative law and economic regulation, with particular…||View Profile|
|Alessandra Piersimoni||Partner, Alessandra Piersimoni specialises extraordinary transactions, capital market transactions and company law…||View Profile|
|Augusto Praloran||He specialises in corporate law, M&A and business contracts in particular in…||View Profile|
|Giuseppe Ragucci||Junior Associate, Giuseppe Ragucci specialises in corporate and European Union Law, with…||View Profile|
|Francesca Ricceri||Senior Associate, Francesca Ricceri specialises in M&A, private equity and commercial agreements.||View Profile|
|Alessandro Rosi||Senior Counsel, Alessandro Rosi specialises in administrative law with particular focus on…||View Profile|
|Giuseppe Rumi||Partner, Giuseppe Rumi specialises in banking and insurance regulation, with particular focus…||View Profile|
|Vincenzo Salvatore||Of counsel, Vincenzo Salvatore specialises in EU life sciences regulatory and compliance…||View Profile|
|Andrea Savigliano||Senior Counsel, Andrea Savigliano specialises in M&A transactions, Investigations on supervised entities,…||View Profile|
|Francesco Scandone||Partner, Francesco Saverio Scandone specialises in tax law with particular focus on…||View Profile|
|Laurence Shore||Of counsel, Laurence Shore specialises in international arbitration, as counsel and arbitrator,…||View Profile|
|Andrea Silvestri||Partner, Andrea Silvestri specialises in tax law, providing national and international tax…||View Profile|
|Stefano Simontacchi||Partner, Stefano Simontacchi specialises in tax law, with particular focus on international…||View Profile|
|Pasquale Tammaro||Senior Associate, Pasquale Tammaro specialises in IP, with particular focus on trademarks…||View Profile|
|Giulia Tenaglia||Senior Associate, Giulia Tenaglia specialises in IP Privacy and IT law.||View Profile|
|Catia Tomasetti||Partner, Catia Tomasetti specialises in banking & finance, project finance, project bonds,…||View Profile|
|Riccardo Ubaldini||Partner, Riccardo Ubaldini specialises in tax law both on a national and…||View Profile|
|Giulio Vece||Managing Associate, Giulio Vece specialises in banking and financial regulation, with particular…||View Profile|
|Gianfranco Veneziano||Partner, Gianfranco Veneziano specialises in corporate M&A with particular focus on corporate…||View Profile|
|Federico Vezzani||Partner, Federico Vezzani specialises in banking and insurance regulations, with particular focus…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of professionals : over 500
LanguagesAmharic Arabic Chinese English French German Italian Spanish
MembershipsBest Friends network
OtherInternational offices : Addis Ababa, Brussels, Cairo, Dubai, Genoa, London, Milan, Rome
Thanks to its offices in Europe, Africa and the Middle East and to the partnerships with independent law firms around the world, BonelliErede is a true international player.
BonelliErede currently has three strategic outposts: Cairo (Egypt), in cooperation with Bahaa-Eldin Law Office; Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), in cooperation with Tameru Wondm Agegnehu Law Office; and Dubai (UAE).
Cairo and Addis Ababa were the first outposts established, back in 2016, and are the hub for the firm’s development in Africa. The Dubai office was opened in 2017 to serve the entire Gulf area and support international investment in Africa.
Beyond Egypt, Ethiopia and the UAE, the firm continues to strengthen its network of highly reputed African and Middle Eastern law firms to respond to its clients’ needs across the regions.
In addition, thanks to a cooperation agreement with Zahaf & Partners, the firm is also present in Tripoli.
BonelliErede also works with the Best Friends network, which is made up of leading firms from around the world, including: Bredin Prat in France, De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek in the Netherlands, Hengeler Mueller in Germany, Slaughter and May in the UK and Uría Menéndez in Spain.
- Administrative and public law
- Banking and finance: Bank regulatory
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Capital markets: Equity
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- EU and competition law
- Genoa: leading firms
- Industry focus: Energy
- Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Luxury goods
- Private equity
- Real estate and construction
- Restructuring and insolvency