Addleshaw Goddard’s commercial IT practice handles high-value technology and outsourcing deals for pedigree UK and overseas clients. Practice head Michael Lowry and Simon Lofthouse handle the negotiations for the procurement of fintech platforms to facilitate the business-expansion projects of global players in the financial services sector. On the supplier side, the group advises on licensing arrangements for innovative CRM platforms and geospatial technologies. The expansive team features stand-out associates James Mort, Charlotte Marshall and Priscilla Hetherton; all assist with global IT transformation projects for retail clients.
IT and telecoms in Yorkshire And The Humber
‘There is excellent knowledge about the interlinks and connections between different topics that are discussed in parallel. As a result, a very open way of discussion, giving the client room to present their thoughts with the law firm supporting by showing the links mentioned above. In other words: the client’s ideas are tested in a kind of legal Virtual Reality system.‘
The Tenet Group
Skipton Building Society
Belmont Green Finance Limited
Venator Materials Plc
High Speed 1
- Advising HSBC Global Private Bank and HSBC Retail Banking and Wealth Management on the procurement of the Aladdin electronic system for investment managers’ analysis of investment risks from BlackRock Financial Management.
- Advising Skipton Building Society on EBA compliance for its outsourcing projects.
- Advising Belmont Green Finance on multiple software service and telecoms agreements enabling the client to move into the retail lending sector.
DLA Piper’s IPT practice handles expansive technology rollouts across the UK and Europe for high-profile global IT vendors. The extensive partnership includes team co-heads Amanda Pilkington and Mark Vipan (in Sheffield and Leeds respectively); both are go-to names for complex IT outsourcing and licensing negotiations for private and public sector clients. Leeds-based co-head Simon Kenyon and fellow co-head Richard Norman in Sheffield act in IT-related outsourcing disputes and litigation, with support from senior associate James Watson. The team also has a unique cyber and data privacy offering under Andrew Dyson, which benefits from a suite of digital tools which assist clients with regulatory compliance issues.
‘Exceptionally well managed, committed, and professional team who go above and beyond to deliver the best possible outcomes for the client. In-depth and detailed understanding of the technical complexities of TMT cases.‘
‘The DLA Piper team is very knowledgeable about IT and telecoms. We rely upon their expertise about these industries and the applicable law and are confident in their analysis and recommendations. Their network of attorneys throughout Europe is of particular help to us as a global company.‘
‘Deep sector and subject matter expertise with access to resources around the world as required.‘
‘Simon Kenyon is exceptionally good- he has unrivalled experience of running enormous technical cases and managing challenging trials. He is incredibly hard working and committed, he has excellent judgement, and is a joy to work with. His understanding of the technical issues thrown up by TMT cases is exceptional.‘
‘Both Richard Norman and James Watson understand IT and telecoms. Their experience and expertise is just what we need. We know that we can rely on their advice without doubt.‘
‘Amanda Pilkington brings a pragmatic approach that is focused on getting the deal done while making sure that corners are not cut.‘
CommVault Systems International BV
Atos IT Services Ltd
Department for Work and Pensions
Telenor Global Services AS
- Assisted NHS Digital with an innovative assurance, procurement and contracting model known as GP IT Futures to govern the delivery and interoperability of clinical IT products and services across England.
- Advised Leeds Building Society on the critical long-term outsourcing of a software platform aimed at providing greater automation and efficiency of mortgage applications.
- Assisting Royal Cornwall NHS Hospitals Trust with a complex exit from the Department of Health’s current national contract with BT for voice and data services across England.
Corporate clients and public bodies across the UK instruct Clarion’s commercial and IT practice to handle the full breadth of non-contentious matters. Practice head Matthew Hattersley advises on IT outsourcing arrangements, transformation programmes, software service agreements and franchising negotiations. David Cunningham has notable expertise in handling IT projects in the public sector. Commercial disputes arising from IT and outsourcing projects are handled by Dominic Higham.
Other key lawyers:
Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies UK
Virtual College Limited
Hemingways Marketing Services
Data Shed Limited
- Advised Data Shed on the commercial and data protection terms for its cloud and on-premise products.
- Supporting Redcentric – a provider of IT managed services including data centres – on the breadth of its IT contracts, including for the provision of telecoms services to public sector purchasers.
- Advising healthcare IT company InterSystems Corporation on contract renewals with NHS bodies across the UK.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
The TMT team at DAC Beachcroft LLP is particularly active in the insurance, financial services, local government and healthcare spheres; domestic and international buyers instruct Richard Watkinson and practice head Michael Peeters on large-scale IT outsourcing and procurement negotiations. Numerous NHS bodies feature on the group's client list; the team advises on the procurement of cloud-based data and IT help desk platforms. Watkinson has particular expertise in IT transformation projects, while, on the supplier side, Peeters advises on the rollout of innovative healthtech, insurtech and proptech platforms.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Leeds DAC Beechcroft team go the extra mile to support on some complex healthcare ICT matters. Their knowledge is excellent, but they are also extremely patient. It’s not often said of lawyers, but should be more widely valued in a strategic supporting partner, particularly in the on-boarding new client / supplier phase where there is some considerable investment in understanding the business. The team obviously have a thorough understanding of clinical and healthcare risk in ICT issues, but I think they are not recognised enough for their grasp of some of the broader challenging issues around pure ICT topics eg developing AI issues. We’ve been delighted with the support.’
‘Michael Peters has extensive experience and manages to make it look effortless. He works well with the in-house legal teams to achieve the best outcome. We have been particularly impressed with how he directs his team to tailor the delivery approach and be responsive to workloads and issues, considering the burden on the in-house legal as well as the programme teams.’
British Business Bank plc
International Personal Finance plc
Leeds Teaching Hospitals
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO)
Transport for Greater Manchester
Yorkshire Building Society
Ardonagh Group (Global Insurance Broker)
Esure Insurance plc
Government Legal Department
- Advised Ageas Insurance on the provision of IT operations and IT infrastructure services.
- Advised the British Business Bank on the delivery of its Enterprise Finance Guarantee product.
- Advised International Personal Finance on the renegotiation and extension of its data centre outsourcing agreement with Fujitsu.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP’s Yorkshire technology team is led by Nick Stubbs and specialises in commercial outsourcing agreements, IT licensing work and strategic IT procurement projects with an international scope. The team acts for a client roster of global retail, financial services and manufacturing companies. Co-head James Hyde leads on contentious matters with assistance from principal associate Edward Williams; disputes relate to systems procurements, outsourcing work, software licensing issues, technology joint ventures and data breaches. Principle associate James Ruane regularly advises on data privacy compliance issues in relation to cloud computing and data warehousing.
‘Principal associate Edward Williams is good for IT litigation.‘
Rugby League World Cup 2021
Go Plant Fleet Services Limited
- Represented DXC Technology in obtaining an injunction for EntServ, preserving the client’s sensitive and critical data against threats of deletion by the providers of EntServ’s expenses solution.
- Advising Rugby League World Cup 2021 on all contracting arrangements – including crucial IT elements in relation to ticketing and broadcasting rights – for the delivery of the tournament.
Walker Morris LLP’ technology practice recently had a significant lateral hire with Sally Mewies, who joined from Gowling WLG to head up the technology practice. Mewies and James Crayton handle the breadth of commercial IT matters, including outsourcing contracts, licensing deals, cloud and SaaS contracts and M&A activity. IT-related disputes are handled by Malcolm Simpson, and Jeanette Burgess applies her regulatory knowledge to cross-border data processing and data sharing agreements. The client roster comprises both IT customers and suppliers.
Betsson Services Limited
Equifinance Finance Limited
Crystal Palace Football Club
Everton Football Club
Aimia Foods Limited
- Acted for Equifinance during the course of its discussions to purchase a mortgage servicing platform (with a number of bespoke elements) from Phoebus Software Limited.
- Advised Ceridian on a range of matters, including partnering agreements for the support and promotion of Ceridian’s Dayforce software in UK markets.
- Advised Servelec Group on three business transformation deals including on the sale of Servelec Technologies and its subsidiaries, a market-leading provider of remote monitoring systems, secure SCADA systems, and business optimisation software, to Laurel Solutions, a holding company which works with leading businesses to grow the smart use and development of industrial technology.
Knights plc's cross-disciplinary IT practice is notably strong on the supplier side of matters, exemplified by co-head Mark Lumley, Andrew Bradley and associate Helen Goldthorpe’s diverse roster of fintech, traveltech, insurtech and personnel technology clients. Recent client wins increased the firm’s presence in the medtech space; highlights include advising providers on the delivery of technology systems to pharmacies. Michael Watson leads on telecoms issues and recently advised his client base of providers on regulatory compliance measures.
Advent Insurance Management Limited
London and Zurich Limited
Audio Technica Limited
Prinsix Technologies Limited
Evolution Risk Assurance Limited
Payment Technology Limited
Roxor Group Limited
Curo Group Holdings Inc
Driver Hire Group Services Limited
- Advised Advent Insurance Management on the implementation and conclusion for the supply of its Gemini Expert Claims Management Software Platform to Lloyds Global Insurance Market.
- Advised Journeo – an AIM-listed supplier of IT systems and transit technical services – on technology integration and service provision contracts.
- Advising logistics and personnel technology business Driver Hire Group Services on the ongoing digitalisation of its customer on-boarding process.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Leading Pinsent Masons LLP’s commercial IT team, director Lisa Harley acts for national purchasers and suppliers on software and cloud-based procurements, master services agreements, transformation projects and technology collaboration agreements. Andrew Masterson leads on contentious mandates, with recent work including acting in software and licensing disputes for multinational clients.
‘Very flexible in terms of ways of working and the way they work with each other. Particularly good interaction between the commercial and disputes team.‘
The National Employment Savings Trust (Nest)
- Advising the National Employment Savings Trust on the outsourcing of its pension scheme administration services; a public procurement with a potential contract value of £500m.
Shoosmiths LLP’s IT and telecoms department advises on IT outsourcings, software deployment projects and SaaS agreements for UK and international buyers and suppliers. Practice head Alex Kirkhope is advising on the delivery of innovative smart cities technology to public bodies. Further work includes the delivery of mobile telecoms networks. The junior team includes associate Lauren Midgley, who regularly advises on international data-transfer operations.
Other key lawyers:
‘A team which engages with the wider city on the tech agenda. Alex Kirkhope is available to support wider programmes with local tech start-ups.‘
Honda Motor Europe
Twenty7Tec Group Limited
Associated Newspapers Limited
DeTrafford Telecoms Limited
Leeds Herd Ltd
- Advising Spanish telecoms provider Cellnex on its bid to Transport for London to provide mobile telephony, fibre and WiFi across the London Underground network.
- Advising Connexin on the delivery of the landmark Smart City Operating Platform to Hull City Council.
- Advising Honda Motor Europe on numerous IT matters relating to European operations, including licensing arrangements with Microsoft.
At Ward Hadaway , commercial IT matters are handled by Gareth Yates and Bill Goodwin, with an emphasis on advising supplier-side businesses on complex software licensing negotiations. The team also has expertise in dealing with platforms involving sensitive patient data and other data privacy obligations, and provides due diligence advice relating to transactions involving tech-forward businesses. Yates also handles IT disputes including matters relating to historic software licenses.
Other key lawyers:
Technology Services Group
Manheim / Cox Automotive
Mercia Technologies plc
- Negotiated a suite of software licensing agreements for Netpremacy (one of Google’s leading UK partners).
- Providing commercial contract and data protection advice to Allstar Media.
3volution Limited provides commercial IT advice to buyers and suppliers in the technology sector. Practice head Louise Handley is engaged on IT implementation and development projects and negotiations for the supply and outsourcing of digital platforms including cloud-based systems.
Berwins’ digital unit advises IT suppliers at the local and national level. Key mandates for practice head Paul Berwin include advising on software licensing agreements, commercial IT negotiations, business expansion projects and internal terms and conditions audits. The group also recently negotiated the supply of software platforms to government departments.
Continuity Logic LLC
Anthony Hodges Consulting Limited
Human Computer Interaction (York) Limited
Key Systems Out Of Home Software
Trimble UK Limited
Mechanical Consultancy Limited
- Assisted Continuity Logic with creating the terms and conditions for it UK expansion.
- Advised Human Computer Interaction on the provision of software to a major housing association.
- Assisting Trimble UK with updating and developing its contracts with government bodies and major corporates.
Irwin Mitchell’s commercial team advises on GDPR compliance matters, buy and sell-side IT system transactions, IT procurements and software licensing arrangements. Recent work for key contact Joanne Bone included assisting with the supply of knowledge-based software platforms, issues relating to cloud storage and data licensing matters. Dispute resolution partners are the key names for IT-related disputes.
Mamas & Papas (Holdings) Limited
RPC UK Limited
Strata Homes Limited
- Prepared a master services agreement, training and notes for RPC UK’s multi-service business to be administered by the internal contracts team.
- Providing adhoc GDPR advice to baby equipment retailer Mamas & Papas.
- Assisted Strata Homes with its GDPR implementation and also drafted terms and conditions for a new online configuration system.
Alongside its core roster of sports, media and entertainment clients, Harrogate-based firm McCormicks acts for domestic clients in the IT sector on a range of instructions. Key mandates for practice head James Towler include handling the procurement of E-Tourism products. On the supplier side, Towler advises on licensing agreements for social media marketing platforms and WiFi services.
Welcome to Harrogate Limited (T/A Visit Harrogate)
National Pharmacy Association
The Rookery Project Limited (trading as Azzuu)
Eden Telecom Limited
Gareth Harris Limited
Love Layla Designs Limited
The Premier League
The Premier League Charitable Fund
InTechnology WiFi Limited
The Isthmian Football League Ltd (trading as the Bostik League)
Leeds United FC
Harrogate Town FC
Eden Telecom Ltd
Frontier Enterprises Limited
- Advised Welcome to Harrogate – the region’s leisure and business tourism body – on the procurement of specialist software development services for the development of an E-tourism platform.
- Prepared a license agreement for the Rookery Project’s ‘Azzuzu’ social media marketing product aimed at the sports and publishing industries.
- Retained by telecoms client InTechnology to handle numerous IT disputes.
Mills & Reeve LLP’s commercial, IT and IP practice is highly active in the public sector; practice head Martin Priestley handles unique instructions including advising on the national procurement of radio network infrastructure for government bodies and assisting with IT projects for a substantial list of NHS bodies. The team also recently advised on data-sharing agreements for educational institutions.
‘No fuss – built trusted relationship with the programme team quickly.’
Maritime & Coastguard Agency
Premia Solutions Limited
University of York
University of Leeds
University of Surrey
WH Ireland Limited
- Advising the Maritime & Coastguard Agency on the sourcing of radio network infrastructure.
Percy Crow Davis & Co
Percy Crow Davis & Co’s sole partner Dai Davis has a notable reputation in the market for advising owner-managed IT suppliers on complex transactions and software licensing arrangements, regularly involving overseas buyers. The firm is also instructed by a range of buyers to handle procurements and outsourcing negotiations. Davis leverages his engineering and regulatory knowledge to advise on product safety laws relating to high-tech products.
Lead Advisory Company
Inbox Insight Limited
Retail Express Limited
TÜV SÜD Limited
Grove Information Systems Limited
- Advising Discount-Licensing Limited on the purchase and sale of previously licensed software in numerous transactions.
- Assisting Retail Express Limited with drafting and negotiating an SaaS supply contract with an overseas buyer.
Hull-based firm Rollits LLP advises a client roster of software and cloud-based service providers in the healthcare, education and charity sectors. Commercial and IP practice head Keith Benton assists with software licenses, procurement contracts, data protection issues and the related disputes.
Family Fund Trading Limited
J. R. Rix & Sons
The Retreat, York
The Consortium Academy Trust
Hallite Seals International LImited
Northern Lincolnshire & Goole NHS Trust
Giacom World Networks
Hull City Tigers
Leeds City College
The Skills Network
- Advised Giacom World Networks on the use and resale of several third-party software services.
- Advised Orovia Group on the delivery of its BPS and Edupay software to customers.
- Advised the Consortium Academy Trust on numerous third-party software licence agreements for the utilisation of cloud-based software tools for its schools.
Schofield Sweeney handles IT procurement and outsourcing mandates including software licensing negotiations in the transport, leisure and retail sectors. Clients include suppliers in the IT sector; recent matters include assisting with the appointment of resellers for suppliers in the US market.
‘Responsive and thorough focus. Competent at providing layman explanations to complex issues. Skilled in creating considered and extensively comprehensive contracts.‘
‘Amiable and down to earth.‘
Claritas Solutions Limited
Sanderson Group Plc
Optima Energy Systems Limited
Emis Group Plc
NDL Software Limited
Specialist Leisure Group (Shearings)
- Acted for Sanderson on a commercial agreement for the protection of one of its core software products.
- Produced a full suite of new IT contract documentation on behalf of NDL Software for use across the breadth of its business.
- Assisted Optima Energy Systems (a provider of software systems to the utilities sector) with the negotiation of a contract for the appointment of a reseller in North America.