Debt recovery in West Midlands
Debt recovery boutique Coltman Warner Cranston LLP has a first-rate reputation among clients ranging in size from SMEs to multinational companies. With the firm being notably strong in the business-to-business space, it acts for entities from a wide range of sectors. Larry Coltman's expertise includes insolvency-related proceedings (including freezing orders against directors and partners of insolvent businesses), retention of title claims and policy disputes in the credit insurance industry. Debt recovery manager Darren Davoile is another key figure. Senior associate Helen Yeaman was a notable arrival at the firm.
‘The best legal firm I have used since we began trading 10 years ago. Very informative, finger on the pulse of the market and so far all cases have been won. They are so much more communicative and approachable than most other firms. Also very pragmatic, they don’t jump straight in with two feet, more of a measured approach than most companies would take‘
‘Stuart Cranston has been my main point of contact. He is always approachable and has always got time to bring me up to date with the status of any legal case we are working with. He provides a balanced overview of the situation, provides advice and guidance throughout the process and is genuine throughout‘
Shakespeare Martineau LLP covers the full spectrum of debt recovery work on a regulated and unregulated basis. Led by practice head Jayne Gardner, the team advises on matters governed by the Consumer Credit Act and Financial Conduct Authority, as well as credit management and property-related work. Gardner works with Alan Hamblett and Eddie Flanagan; the three partners collectively have more than 73 years of debt recovery experience. The team acts for clients operating in sectors such as food, financial services, energy and automotive.
‘I have worked with the debt recovery team at Shakespeare Martineau now for three years, they have always gained great results in all our cases and always given us great advice. They are extremely professional and I would recommend them to anyone looking for this service.‘
‘Alan Hamblett: Very prompt support and consultation to finding a pragmatic cost effective solution. Martin Noble: Always available (even out of hours) and has handled complex contract amendments in a very timely manner. Commercially-minded and sound advice.‘
‘The team reacts quickly to any matter presented, responding with sound advice and analysis. Always happy to go the extra mile. Demonstrates a sound knowledge of insolvency, realisation of security, and court process. Costs are very reasonable compared to other firms.‘
‘Eddie Flanagan leads the team from the front, yet remains permanently available for calls and discussion. He has broad experience in asset finance and commercial finance. Grace Strawford is very competent in consumer credit and dispute resolution, and provides clear and comprehensive explanations of her reasoning.‘
Hook Norton Brewery
Newriver Retail Ltd
University of Warwick
Institute of Chartered Accountants for England and Wales
- Ongoing assistance to the University of Warwick with the recovery of former student debts. These are primarily related to tuition and accommodation fees, but also include sundry debits, such as nursery and library expenses.
- Ongoing assistance to Edgbaston High School for Girls with the recovery of unpaid school fees from parents after the school’s own internal credit control processes have not resulted in their payment.
- Ongoing assistance to a client with the recovery of goods.
Gateley Plc handles a significant amount of work for banks, building societies and other finance providers; the practice is highlighted for its combined strengths in litigation and related financial services regulatory issues. Team head James Baird has over 20 years of experience advising funders on the cross-border recovery of debt and assets, where there is a fraud-related component. Senior associate John Williams handles a wide range of cases for financial institutions, such as security enforcement (including mortgage possession proceedings) and asset recovery.
Other key lawyers:
‘Industry experts and easy/fun to work with.‘
‘James Baird is technically an extremely good litigator.‘
Macquarie Corporate and Asset Finance 1 Limited
Propel Finance Plc
Scania Finance Great Britain Limited
Arkle Finance Limited
Tower Leasing Limited
Grenke Leasing Limited
Kennet Equipment Leasing Limited
CIAC Corporation Inc
Cambridge & Counties Bank Limited
CUA Finance Ltd
- Represented a debt purchaser in a claim against a major UK clearing bank.
- Represented a client in a claim over a breach of warranty of authority.
- Assisted a client with the collection of unsecured regulated loan debt.
Shoosmiths LLP's Birmingham team is a core part of the firm’s highly regarded UK-wide operation, which advises on asset-based lending litigation and recoveries, consumer finance litigation and recoveries and commercial recoveries, among other areas. The main contact in Birmingham is Roger Potgieter, who leads a team handling high-value, complex and disputed cases for asset finance, motor finance, marine finance, banking and leasing clients. Potgieter is particularly experienced in recoveries involving a fraud component, as well as particularly technical matters connected with the Consumer Credit Act.
Roger Potgieter (asset-based lending: complex recoveries and disputes, Birmingham and UK-wide); Mel Chell (asset-based lending litigation and recoveries, Northampton and UK-wide); Jim Taylor (consumer finance litigation and recoveries, Northampton and UK-wide); Paula Swain (commercial recoveries, Southampton and UK-wide)
‘Thorough and detailed advice‘
‘Personable and efficient. Always happy to take calls and deal with matters urgently‘
‘Shoosmiths LLP are different to the rest because they manage cases promptly from the beginning to end, you aren’t having to chase for a resolution because you are provided with a time frame for resolution and given frequent updates where necessary to give you confidence that the case is progressing‘
‘Charlotte Healey has managed all of our return of goods, letter of claims, storage liens and many other asset finance disputes for a number of years. Charlotte acts with the utmost professionalism when handling our cases and takes prompt action which, in turn, has produced very satisfactory outcomes‘
JBR Capital Limited
Hampshire Trust Bank Plc
MAN Financial Services
Volvo Financial Services
Oodle Car Finance
Propel Finance Plc
Arkle Finance Limited
LeasePlan UK Limited
Societe Generale Equipment Finance
Aldermore Invoice Finance
Azzuro Associates Limited
Paragon Car Finance
- Represented a client in recovery of a debt resulting from a multi-party dispute relating to the introduction and supply of goods under finance agreements.
- Represented client in a dispute involving goods supplied under a finance agreement.
- Provides an outsourced portfolio management service to Oodle Car Finance, which includes late stage collections, recoveries, litigation and enforcement, and also manages all voluntary terminations and assists with vulnerable customers.
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP assists clients with pre-legal debt collections, mediation, arbitration and court litigation. Practice head Phil Wilding has expertise in asset finance recoveries, residential mortgage shortfalls, payday loans and consumer and commercial debt.
Band Hatton Button LLP
At Band Hatton Button LLP, practice head Jonathan Wilby has over 30 years of debt recovery and enforcement experience, with notable expertise in property and insolvency-related matters. Wilby acts for commercial clients in a wide range of industries, including charities, healthcare, leisure and retail. He also advises SIPP landlords and private investors.
- Assisted a commercial landlord with recovering in excess of £100,000 from personal guarantors following tenant insolvency.
- Assisted a motor trade company with a fixed-fee debt recovery, which resulted in a winding up petition being presented for over £25,000.
- Acted for a residential landlord in a claim against a tenant for dilapidations and successfully obtained default judgment for £5,500, which is now secured by way of a charging order over property.
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP provides debt recovery solutions to a varied client roster, which includes private individuals, insolvency practitioners and businesses. Gareth Ruddock heads up the team, which excels in secured and unsecured consumer and corporate lending recoveries, trade debt commercial recoveries, and asset-based and invoice finance recoveries. It also handles matters for estate agents.
Savills (UK) Ltd
Muras baker Jones Limited
BCRS Business Loans Limited
- Advising Savills (UK) Limited on pursuing various claims for commission following the sale of residential and commercial properties in the UK.
- Advising BCRS Business Loans Limited on pursuing unsecured and secured corporate lending recoveries to include claims against a director under guarantees.
- Acting for various insolvency practitioners in the collection of book debts for companies that are either in administration or liquidation.
Lanyon Bowdler's debt recovery practice gained momentum in 2019, with the firm seeing an uptick in mandates, particularly those with a nexus to the agricultural sector. Debt recovery manager Lauren Weale acts for private individuals, local businesses and multinational companies. Andrew Pegg is another key figure in the group. Sian Samuel left the firm in December 2019.
‘Always helpful and knowledgeable. Have always given us good advice on the cases we have asked them to handle‘
‘Both Lauren and Debbie are very helpful and send us a clear weekly report and follow email every week. If we are not sure about anything we can just pick up the phone and ask‘
Wynnstay (Agricultural Supplies) Limited
Wynnstay Fuels Limited
TRG Building Limited
TWC Parcel Collection Services Ltd
Fowler & Gilbert Limited
Woodheads Seads Limited
- Advised TWC Parcel Collection Services Ltd on the commerciality of pursuing a claim that was likely to be defended, and negotiated a settlement that was agreeable to the client.
- Advised Fowler & Gilbert Limited on the governing law and jurisdiction of the client’s contract.
- Advised Wynnstay (Agricultural Supplies) Limited on service issues in respect of an evasive debtor.
Leanne Schneider-Rose leads Sydney Mitchell LLP's team, whose expertise includes defended debt cases, return of goods claims, repossession claims, winding up petitions and statutory demands. The firm's strong credentials in the debt recovery arena sees it act for clients such as insolvency practitioners, small businesses and professional services firms, among others. Kamal Majevadia is another notable individual.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sydney Mitchell have excellent knowledge and experience on all aspects of secured loan recovery. If our regular contact, Gemma Parker, is not immediately sure of the action required then she correctly uses external relationships and the ability available in-house to ensure a quick and correct answer is found with minimal delay.‘
‘Gemma Parker keeps us updated very efficiently at all times.‘
West Bromwich Commercial Limited
Goldhill Finance Limited Bridging Finance
- Assisted Goldhill Finance Limited with recovering a shortfall in the sum of £130,000 (including interest) on a loan following repossession and sale of a property over which the client held a legal charge against the secured property.
- Assisted a client with recovering the sum of circa £93,000 paid for a vehicle which the vendor had no title to sell, and which was subsequently stolen from the client and then confiscated by the police; it turned out that the vehicle was already a stolen, cloned vehicle from Germany.
- Assisted a client with recovering sums owed under a loan agreement; it was argued that the signature on the loan agreement had been fraudulently endorsed on the agreement.
VWV's debt recovery team acts as an affinity partner to The Bar Council, and offers its services to all barristers and chambers throughout England and Wales. Also notable is that the firm has provided support to clients in the energy and utilities sector for over 30 years. Elsewhere, other areas of activity include healthcare, education and recruitment. The firm, which is particularly known for its capabilities in bulk volume mandates, recently revamped its offering to make its services more cost-effective.
‘The key USP of VWV’s practice in West Midlands is that they come on the journey with you as part of your extended team and not just as a law firm. You feel confident that matters are sticking to timelines and there is real follow up. VWV become part of the project team and that, for me, is their USP‘
Corona Energy Retail 4 Limited
Doughty Street Chambers
Ego By Design.Com Limited
Gryphon Property Partners Limited
Handicare Accessibility Limited
Miss Bronia Elisabeth Hartley
Mr Azeem Ali
Mr Charles Robertshaw
Mr David John Carter
Mr David White
Mr Gordon Exall
Mr James Berry
Mr James Sullivan
Mr John Boumphrey
Mr Joshua Dubin
Mr Matthew Mason
Mr Michael Collins
Mr Nick Stanage
Mr Thomas O’Donohoe
Mr William Ronald Rees
Ms Louise O’Neill
National Lift and Construction Industry Limited
PDP Companies Limited
Phoenix Commercial Catering Equipment Limited
Porcelanosa Yorkshire Limited
Porter Dodson LLP
Ripe LLP t/a Ripe Chartered Accountants
S K Property Recruitment
Sigma Pharmaceuticals Plc
Slawomir Bilik Limited
Sport Fashion Distribution U.K. Limited
St Edward’s School
Stephen Harvey QC
The Fuel Store Limited
United Gas & Power Limited
Versatile Therapists Limited
YES Energy Solutions Limited
Yorkshire Energy Services CIC
Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospital NHS Trust
- Assisted EDF Energy with recovering £38,295.39 in relation to unpaid invoices for the supply of electricity to commercial premises.
- Assisted property recruitment agent Stephen King t/a SK Property Recruitment with negotiating a full and final settlement with a debtor. This matter arose from the successful introduction and placement of a candidate as an associate director.
- Assisted an individual barrister with recovering circa £10,000 in unpaid fees from different debtors for legal services provided.