Baker McKenzie's reputation as a market-leader in the TMT space is underpinned by its strength in handling matters of the utmost complexity and significance for well-known global businesses. Its team in Vietnam is seen as go-to counsel on a wide range of mandates, such as those involving big-ticket M&A and investment transactions, corporate structurings, data privacy and cybersecurity, regulatory advice and employment law matters. Corporate partner Yee Chung Seck has over 20 years of experience advising clients on M&A and investment transactions in Vietnam, and he is also noted for his focus on Vietnam's fast-growing digital economic sector. Seck co-heads the group with Manh Hung Tran, whose recent work included providing regulatory assistance to clients, particularly in relation to Vietnam’s new cinema law.
TMT in Vietnam
‘Yee Chung Seck is definitely a leading counsel in the fintech sector with profound knowledge and deep understanding about the market.’
Frasers Law Company is noted for its broad coverage of the TMT space, with particular strengths in areas such as fintech, e-commerce, healthtech and gaming. Mark Fraser's recent work included advice to global clients on strategic acquisitions. Also notable is that he is well-versed in Vietnam’s IT and telecoms regulations. Fraser co-heads the practice with Justin Gisz, who has made a name for himself in the country’s fast-growing fintech sector. In 2020, he led the advice to Timo Plus Digital Bank on its legal and commercial transition from one banking partner to another.
‘Patient, thorough, articulate, strategic.’
‘Frasers Law Company provides high quality legal services which help my company to achieve our goals in M&A transactions. This firm provides a comprehensive legal strategy and can lead legal negotiations to meet the expectation of all parties.’
‘I worked with Justin Gisz, the partner of Frasers Law Company. He has extensive knowledge in legal matters. He provides a high quality legal advices which not only can identify the risk to our company and also protect the best interest of our company.’
‘One of the best law firms in Vietnam. Great support in navigating the complex regulatory framework. Highly recommended.’
‘Justin Gisz is extremely reliable and professional. He has a deep knowledge of the financial services regulatory framework, and of the key players and market trends in Vietnam. This enables him to provide very practical structuring advice to international companies entering the Vietnamese market.’
Timo Plus Digital Bank
- Advised Timo Plus Digital Bank on its transition from one cornerstone licensed banking partner to another.
- Advised Aspire on conducting a detailed Vietnam law review and verification of its Vietnam business model.
Reflective of its presence in the technology industry, Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers acts for global technology companies, start-ups and rising players. Led by Vu Thi Que, its team advises clients on issues concerning software, hardware and the Internet of Things. Logan Leung is experienced in handling tech-related M&A and venture capital transactions. Elsewhere, the firm is a major player in the fintech arena; its work in this area covers securities trading platforms, bitcoin, cryptocurrency, P2P lending and payments. Trinh Minh Duc was recently promoted to partner.
‘The team is experienced in local law peculiarities. They have also been flexible in terms of fee proposals and billing requirements.’
‘Logan Leung provides timely responses and demonstrates a practical approach to issues, which we appreciate. He is a trusted adviser for Vietnam-related matters.’
Illustrative of Tilleke & Gibbins' excellent reputation, it regularly works with other leading law firms for TMT globally. In addition, it generates mandates in its own right from cutting-edge multinational high-tech companies, as well as high-profile names in the multimedia and telecoms industries. The team advises clients on exploring new market opportunities, strategic acquisitions and commercial contracts. Also notable is that the TMT group works closely with the IP department on IP clearance and licensing in relation to film, TV, radio and internet content. Dispute resolution is another driver of activity, including matters concerning domain names. Thomas Treutler works with senior associates Waewpen Piemwichai and Tu Ngoc Trinh.
Other key lawyers:
‘The TMT team at Tilleke is responsive and substantive when it comes to tech regulatory matters. Its work product is concise, focused and practical, and the team delivers high value.’
‘T&G Vietnam is an agile practice that is able to work according to client requirements and expectations.’
‘Waewpen Piemwichai has gone from strength to strength and continues to be my go-to counsel for all things TMT or data-related in Vietnam.’
- Assisted a U.S.-traded company with numerous legal issues concerning the company’s social network operations.
- Advising a US telecoms company on regulatory requirements involving mobile satellite services and relevant communication devices in Vietnam.
- Advised three major U.S.-based providers of premium video streaming services on content and regulatory issues for Vietnam market entry.
Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C.
Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C. often works on corporate, commercial and regulatory matters in the TMT sphere, counting Uber and Canal Plus as key clients. It is particularly known for its work in relation to communications technologies, including new technologies, broadcasting and telecoms. Etienne Laumonier and Nicolas Picard are names to note.
Canal + (Groupe Vivendi)
- Advised Uber on the sale of its Vietnam business to rival Grab in exchange for a minority stake in Grab Southeast Asian holding.
- Advising Central Group on e-commerce regulations.
Lexcomm Vietnam LLC has a strong pedigree in the TMT arena, which is evidenced by the fact that its client roster includes names such as Microsoft, Xiaomi and the BBC. The practice captures a significant portion of transactional, commercial, regulatory and contentious work across multiple subsets of TMT; areas of activity include satellite, terrestrial broadcasting, online, mobile and VPN. The main contact at the firm is Hanoi-based partner Nguyen Viet Ha, who has 20 years of experience in the IT, media and telecoms spheres. His private practice expertise is complemented by his previous experience of working as in-house counsel at Vietnam Post and Telecommunications Group. In addition, Ha was also the head counsel at Vietnamobile. In one ongoing mandate, he is acting as the lead Vietnamese counsel to Uber Vietnam and Uber BV on the first economic concentration case that made it to a trial in Vietnam.
British Broadcasting Corporation
Robert Bosch (SEA) Pte Ltd (Bosch)
- Advised Xiaomi on data protection and privacy regulations in relation to its new smart vacuum product.
- Advised several multinationals regarding electronic payments in relation to the establishment of their networks in Vietnam.
- Assisted Uber Vietnam Limited and Uber B.V. in the economic concentration case before The Vietnam Competition Council (VCC).
YKVN’s TMT offering is drawn from the firm's strengths in corporate and M&A, as well as dispute resolution. On the non-contentious side, the team has experience of acting on transactions connected with areas such as IT, media, advertising, e-commerce and telecoms. Truong Nhat Quang heads up the practice, working with Vu Dzung, Luu Tien Dzung and Pham Minh Thang.
Transcendental Human Resources Joint Stock Company
- Advised Transcendental Human Resources Joint Stock Company on the issuance of redeemable dividend preference shares to the investor.
- Advised Caldera on its acquisition of equity stake in and convertible bonds issued by Anova Corporation.
Reflective of the breadth of ZICO Law's client base, it acts for cloud service providers, healthcare tech companies, gaming platforms and media platforms, among various others. The practice is led by Tay Zi Li, who is proficient in Mandarin, and has expertise in acting for Chinese clients operating in the TMT sector. Li works with Gam Le, who has experience of advising on M&A and foreign investments in the tech sector, as well as data privacy issues. In addition, Le is knowledgeable about legal issues specific to fintech, e-payments and cloud payments.
Other key lawyers:
Chai Pay SG Pte. Ltd.
Credify Pte. Ltd.
Digital Software Technology Vietnam Limited Liability Company
Redefine Capital Management Company Limited
MyDoc Health Company Limited
Broad & Bright Shanghai Office
Strategic Year Holdings Limited
Time dotCom Berhad
- Advising Chai Pay SG Pte. Ltd. on its proposed investment into Vietnam for the provision of both software services for merchants and referral services for payment providers in Vietnam.
- Advised Credify Pte. Ltd. on its proposed project to develop a software/platform named ServiceX which allows data providers and data consumers to sell and purchase data on such platform.
- Advising a mulitnational company in relation to its proposed business plan of providing video on demand services in Vietnam.