TMT in Vietnam
Baker McKenzie's reputable TMT practice is sought out for its market-leading expertise across complex cross-border transactions and data protection work. Led by Yee Chung Seck, the group handles technology investments, cyber-risk and content regulation for service providers. Manh Hung Tran is the co-head in Hanoi and brings a blend of expertise in both intellectual property and telecoms regulation. The team also advises multinational corporations on AI, blockchain and other emerging technologies.
‘Very good team to work with that understands the Vietnamese market from regulatory landscape to practical standpoint. The advice given has always considered the recent changes within the market.’
‘The team is responsive and has a strong international network to rely upon for multi-jurisdictional matters.’
‘Chung is very responsive and a pleasure to work with.’
UOB Venture Management Pte. Ltd.
Jirnexu Pte. Ltd.
Grab Holdings Ltd.
Warburg Pincus / MoMo
- Advised UOB Venture Management Pte. Ltd. on its investment in Dat Viet VAC Group Holdings, a leading Vietnamese media investment agency.
- Advised VinaCapital Ventures on leading a $4m investment round for social e-commerce platform Ecomobi.
- Advised Jirnexu Ltd. Pte., a fintehc company headquartered in Malaysia. on various agreements including a reseller agreement for financial service products in Vietnam.
Frasers Law Company has a 'leading practice' in the TMT arena, with strength across the transactional and regulatory space. Led by Mark Fraser, the team advises a number of blue-chip companies and undertakes heavyweight advisory work related to the M&A work and due diligence matters. Other co-head Justin Gisz advises foreign clients on market entry advice whilst senior associate Pham Thanh Mai supports on cross-border projects.
Other key lawyers:
Leading practice in Vietnam. Commercial. Responsive. Dedicated. Clear advice. Works to an international standard.
Mark Fraser provides excellent client service.
Phyung Thi Thanh Thao works hard and is technically strong.
PRGX Global, Inc.
- Advised Vinacapital on detailed legal due diligence on six start-up companies, based in Hanoi, operating in the media technology, advertising technology, and education technology sectors.
- Advised Kimball Electronics Inc on its acquisition of a robotic equipment manufacturer located in Vietnam.
Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers advises a number of established tech giants and start-ups on cybersecurity, regulatory work, and market entry into Vietnam. Vu Thi Que leads the team and handles both contentious and non-contentious work with Logan Leung being a key name for Chinese investors. The group also handles cross-border transactional work, able to leverage the firm's headquarters in Singapore.
Tilleke & Gibbins has developed a niche in data protection needs for international technology giants. Jointly led by Thomas Treutler in Ho Chi Minh City and cyber-security specialist Waewpen Piemwichai in Hanoi, the group handles complex domain name disputes, online IP enforcement matters as well as vast advisory work for global TMT clients operating in Southeast Asia. Nam Ngoc Trinh, who joined from YKVN, advises key American companies on compliance matters, whilst Tu Ngoc Trinh advises a number of international clients.
Merck, Sharp & Dohme
- Provided regulatory due diligence and related advice on two separate projects by American internet giants to potentially offer free public Wi-Fi service in Vietnam.
- Assisted an American company with numerous legal issues concerning the company’s social network operation and new initiatives in Vietnam, including telecom licenses, defamation regulations, and online gaming.
- Advised on the regulations in Vietnam in relation to a high-profile streaming TV service scheduled to launch in many countries in late 2019 and offering original content via on mobile and desktop platforms.
Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C.
Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C.'s TMT practice handles high-value work transactions for global clients on Vietnamese compliance and competition law, as well as advising on e-commerce matters. Etienne Laumonier is the key name in the group and is closely supported by firm name partner Nicolas Audier.
YKVN handles high-value transactions across the media, e-commerce, telecoms and IT spaces. Led by managing partner Truong Nhat Quang, the multidisciplinary team offers corporate and dispute resolution expertise to clients which include state-owned enterprises and other investors. Cross-border work is facilitated by K. Minh Dang in Singapore.
SoftBank Investment Advisers (UK) Limited
Central Pattana Public Company Limited
Grab Company Limited
Chailease International Financial Services Co., Ltd
Mirae Asset-Naver Asia Growth Fund, and Eastbridge Partners
- Advised the SoftBank Vision Fund on its investment in VN Pay Joint Stock Company – one of the leading cashless payment service providers in Vietnam.
- Advised Mirae Asset-Naver Asia Growth Fund on a subscription for shares in POPS Worldwide, a top kids’ media and entertainment platform in Vietnam.
- Representing Grab Company Limited, the largest e-hailing service company in Southeast Asia in a non-contractual damage case brought by Vietnam Sun Corporation.
The TMT team at ZICO Law advises local and foreign clients on IT, e-commerce and communications issues. Practice Tay Zi Li, who also heads the China desk, is skilled in acting for large Chinese tech clients and companies operating in Vietnam on establishing subsidiaries and investments.