Altum Abogados, S.C.'s tax practice showcases an impressive client portfolio, which includes various international companies. Its offering includes providing advice on tax structures, compliance, transfer pricing, and the design and execution of corporate and estate reorganisations. Key practitioner Jorge Jraige is experienced in tax planning, wealth management and tax litigation. Associate Ximena Dugarte is also an important part of the team.
Tax in Venezuela
Altum Abogados, S.C.
‘The practitioners understand the environment and are up to date, practical and efficient.’
‘Highly empathetic legal advisers. Super fast, clear answers that cover what is desired and the risks involved. The competitive rates, friendliness and direct business support stand out.’
‘Jorje Jraige has an outstanding technical level in the Venezuelan market.’
The team at Araquereyna is well versed in tax planning and disputes, as well as providing transactional support. The practice is led by Gabriel Ruan Santos, who has longstanding experience in the field. María Carolina Cano and Ingrid García Pacheco, who advise on structuring mandates and wealth and heritage tax planning, respectively, are also noted.
Baker & McKenzie, S.C.
Baker & McKenzie, S.C.'s team is highly experienced in advising clients, in particular from the healthcare, energy and telecoms industries, on the full gamut of tax matters. Under the leadership of the highly regarded Ronald Evans, the group is active in assisting with corporate taxation, wealth management and taxation strategies. Other areas of expertise include tax disputes. Among the names to note are Oscar Morean, José Barnola and associate David Mongiovi.
The team at D'Empaire is highly regarded for its capabilities in the tax arena, particularly in corporate tax and international taxation. The team also represents clients in administrative and judicial proceedings. Its client portfolio consists of international companies, financial institutions and private equity funds, and the group also impresses with a strong wealth management practice. The experienced Alberto Benshimol and Humberto Romero-Muci jointly lead the group, in which José Valecillos is also highlighted.
Bristol Myers Squibb
The Kraft Heinz Company
- Advised Bristol Myers Squibb in connection with the Venezuelan tax implications of its Venezuelan operations, such as the settlement of certain intercompany debts owed by BMS Venezuela to other BMS entities in several jurisdictions.
- Represented Weatherford in tax litigation against a Venezuelan municipality which has been trying to tax oil services companies with a disproportionately high tax rate.
- Assisted American Airlines with the implications of the new wealth tax on its Venezuelan branch.
Dentons is noted for its skill in direct and indirect, local and international taxation matters, and also handles tax audits and disputes. The team frequently collaborates with the firm's corporate practice, which it assists with the tax aspects of a variety of matters, such as business restructuring, the opening of new companies and the liquidation of existing companies. Practice head Luis Fraga Pittaluga has more than 30 years of experience in the field.
‘Professional advisers with great resilience and empathy for the environment and their clients. They respond quickly and with quality, satisfying clients’ requirements and analysing the inherent risks.’
‘Excellent availability to meet the needs of the client. Excellent knowledge of the legal framework, which is reflected in the team’s advice. A wide and intelligent perspective when evaluating risks, actions and business alternatives. Very professional, willing and creative with the available options.’
China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC)
West Construcciones (Wesca)
- Reviewed and analysed all the tax aspects of the reorganisation of a manufacturing company’s business in Venezuela, to address the challenges posed by the current economic situation and the sanctions imposed on the country.
- Analysed the impact of the new tax law on large patrimonies on financial institutions operating in the country.
- Advised an international financial institution on all the tax aspects of an important project to structure credit facilities for individuals and companies, through the granting of loans and other credit facilities using cryptocurrencies.
InterJuris Abogados' team has notable experience in advising on the tax implications of corporate transactions such as restructurings; transfer pricing rules; and international tax treaties. It also regularly handles investigations by authorities and other tax disputes. The client roster includes international companies, in particular from the oil and gas sector, financial institutions and individuals. Anadaniella Sucre de Pró-Rísquez is experienced in tax planning and litigation mandates, while Maria Leticia Perera focuses on international tax and estate planning; together, they lead the practice. Associate Fernando Ríos Morillo is also noted.
Axalta Coating Systems de Venezuela
Hewlett Packard Company
Caja Caracas Casa de Bolsa
HES Real Estate
Maria Margarita Machado
Leĝa Abogados has considerable expertise in all areas of tax law, be it planning, consulting, disputes or transactions; the team is also instructed to advise on tax structures, complex foreign investment and foreign exchange-related matters, as well as on currency issues and tax on large assets. The client portfolio includes prominent names in the banking and finance, pharmaceutical and services sectors. Practice head Jesús Sol-Gil is an expert in tax planning. Other key practitioners are Elina Pou and Nathalie Rodríguez-París, as well as associate Rosa Caballero.
American Bureau of Shipping (ABS)
Premium de Venezuela
EKA (Nouryon subsidiary)
Agencias Generales Conaven
Banco Nacional de Crédito (BNC)
Corporación Grupo Químico
Rolex de Venezuela
CA Química Integrada (Intequim)
- Conducted a review of an agency agreement and analysis of its tax impact, and assisted in the income tax and VAT tax assessment procedure on behalf of Agencias Generales Conaven.
- Acted for the American Bureau of Shipping in seeking a judicial remedy of the tax authorities’ refusal to acknowledge the client’s right to income tax exemption.
- Representing CA Química Integrada in litigation against the tax authorities over its 2009 and 2010 income tax assessments.
Mendoza, Palacios, Acedo, Borjas, Paez Pumar & Cia.
Mendoza, Palacios, Acedo, Borjas, Paez Pumar & Cia. focuses its practice on general tax assistance, audits, litigation and estate tax matters. The client portfolio includes various subsidiaries of large international corporations, and the team also works closely with the firm's corporate group to advise on the tax aspects of transactions. The key contacts at the firm are Manuel Acedo Sucre, María Genoveva Páez Pumar and Oswaldo Páez Pumar.
The Coca-Cola Company and Coca-Cola Servicios de Venezuela
Corporación Grupo Químico, Venezolana de Pinturas, Química Industrial and other subsidiaries of Grupo Orbis
Miranda Capital Partners
Inversiones Velicomen (Hotel Paseo las Mercedes)
- Assisted Miranda Capital Partners with the design of an efficient international master structure for the acquisition of companies in Venezuela.
- Conducted a tax audit for Venezolana de Pinturas regarding income tax returns.
PALACIOS, TORRES & KORODY
Palacios, Torres & Korody's tax team is made up of practitioners specialising in corporate, regulatory and tax matters. The team is well versed in advising companies from the finance, food and beverage, construction, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, e-commerce, telecoms, media and franchising sectors on tax planning and disputes. It also assists private clients. The key practitioners are Leonardo Palacios, José Gregorio Torres and Juan Korody.
Bayer de Venezuela
- Advised Diageo on the implications of the new Venezuelan wealth tax and designed a strategy for handling exposure.
- Designed and implemented a defence strategy for Banesco Seguros regarding alleged tax infractions for non-compliance during widespread blackouts.
- Represented and defended Banco Provincial regarding the assessment and collection procedure initiated by local authorities over alleged municipal tax violations.
Raffalli de Lemos Halvorssen Ortega y Ortiz
The team at Raffalli de Lemos Halvorssen Ortega y Ortiz covers a wide range of tax matters, which includes assisting clients with estate planning, trusts and customs law, and providing support with the tax aspects of transactions. Andrés Luis Halvorssen is the key contact; he is notably active in tax disputes.
Rodríguez & Mendoza
The team at Rodríguez & Mendoza is led by the experienced Oswaldo Anzola and assists clients with the tax implications of transactions, optimisations, the implementation of business structures and contentious matters. Elvira Dupouy Mendoza is another key contact.
Tinoco, Travieso, Planchart & Núñez
Tinoco, Travieso, Planchart & Núñez is noted for handling tax consultations and planning, as well as representing clients in administrative and judicial proceedings. Practice head Alfredo Travieso and Juan Carlos Castillo Carvajal are the key practitioners in the team.
Torres, Plaz & Araujo
Torres, Plaz & Araujo has a strong reputation in the tax space; the team handles the full spectrum of related matters, including advising on financial optimisations, audits, the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion, as well as tax disputes. Rodolfo Plaz Abreu is also an able adviser on the tax aspects of corporate transactions. Other highlighted practitioners are Valentina Cabrera Medina and Juan Carlos Garantón-Blanco.
Travieso Evans Arria Rengel & Paz
The team at Travieso Evans Arria Rengel & Paz covers tax planning, litigation and the transfer of tax credits, as well as the negotiation, documentation and structuring aspects of transactions. Practitioners with considerable experience in this field are Eduardo Travieso Uribe, Manuel Iturbe Alarcón and associate Andreína Lusinchi Martínez.
Vallenilla, Escalante & Asociados
Boutique firm Vallenilla, Escalante & Asociados is experienced in corporate and tax planning mandates, advising companies from a variety of industries, such as banking, energy, oil, telecoms, agriculture, tourism and hotels. The firm's offering also includes the handling of administrative matters, and advice on federal, state and municipal taxes, tax exchange control and the implementation of double taxation treaties. Moisés Vallenilla Tolosa and Oscar Cunto André jointly lead the practice and are the key contacts.
Galaxy Entertainment de Venezuela
CP Group Latam
Expertos Integrales Expertia
Iberoamericana de Seguros
Gran Cacique II
Ascensores Schindler de Venezuela
Synergy Consultoría Integral SCI
- Representing GEV in judicial and administrative proceedings against Conatel over unlawful economic sanctions.
- Assisted Expertos Integrales Expertia with an administrative proceeding which turned into a judicial process.