At Aequo, the team is 'highly professional and dedicated to the client's goals'. The firm is frequently involved in high-value cross-border disputes, including landmark international arbitration cases and high-profile energy disputes. The firm has one of the largest disputes practices in Ukraine, and acts for major clients in key industry sectors such as agribusiness, energy and natural resources, pharmaceuticals and financial services. 'Highly professional and dedicated' practice heads Denis Lysenko and Pavlo Byelousov 'truly take ownership of the case'. Counsels Myroslava Savchuk and Yevgen Levitskyi are also recommended.
Dispute resolution in Ukraine
Denis Lysenko; Pavlo Byelousov
Other key lawyers:
Myroslava Savchuk; Yevgen Levitskyi
‘The team is highly professional and dedicated to the client’s goals. They have great subject matter knowledge, attention to the details and ability to consider multiple circumstances at the same time.’
‘Pavlo Belousov and Denis Lysenko are highly professional and dedicated lawyers. They truly take ownership of the case.’
‘The lawyers have deep educational background and extensive expertise, experience in Ukrainian courts. The deliver client service, confidentiality, and an understanding of our industry. They are proactive.’
‘Our key contact in dispute resolution was Yevgen Levitskyi, who has a brilliant educational background and is a strong professional and an experienced and absolutely reliable attorney.’
Naftogaz of Ukraine
Olympic Entertainment Group
- Advised Naftogaz on settlement negotiations with Gazprom (Russian Federation) over the gas supply and transit disputes as well as over new gas transportation agreement for 2020-2024 which resulted in December 2019 in signing of the settlement agreement, payment of $3bn to the client and signing of the new 5-year gas transportation agreement between Gazprom and Naftogaz with a total value of more than $7bn.
- Successfully represented Arcelor Mittal and its Ukrainian division, ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih, in a dispute with Ukrainian tax authorities in the courts of all instances. Since the dispute arose out of recent legislative amendments, and a lack of jurisprudence in this specific area a Supreme Court ruling, confirmed the client’s victory, became a precedent-setting one.
- Successfully protected interests of UMG Investments before Supreme Court in a positive precedent-setting case which is to change the judicial practice through implementation of the special expropriation law adopted back in 2009 and underutilized until recently.
ARBITRADE has an 'efficient, professional, result-oriented' arbitration practice and 'takes on the hardest cases and builds win-win position before the court’. The firm may be best known for international arbitration, but it is equally strong in domestic litigation and handles a growing number of complex commercial cases and administrative disputes with state authorities in the local courts. Pavlo Trytenichenko (who is 'trustworthy, reliable and deeply engaged) and Ivan Vashchynets are names to note. Of counsel Yuliya Chernykh is 'an incredible lawyer, one of the greatest arbitration lawyers of her generation.’
Pavlo Trytenichenko; Ivan Vashchynets
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm provides a non-standard approach to solving standard and non-standard situations. It provides prompt responses to requests, full understanding of the company’s business processes and, as a result, the selection of those approaches to address issues that are most effective in a particular situation.’
‘It has the ability to solve complex cases for the benefit of the client.’
‘Yuliya Chernykh is an incredible lawyer, one of the greatest arbitration lawyers of her generation.’
‘The team has very capable and experienced practitioners in international arbitration, like Yuliya Chernykh), who combines a rich experience of an arbitrator and a counsel and is good in elaborating and implementing a proper strategy for a case. This is what we appreciate a lot.’
‘We are a longstanding client of Arbitade. They are great lawyers, whom I would certainly recommend to colleagues. They take up the hardest cases and build win-win position before the court. ’
‘I would mention Yuliya Chernykh and Pavlo Trytenichenko as excellent professionals who are pleasant to deal with. Trustworthy, reliable and deeply engaged in every detail of the case they are handling.’
‘ The team is highly efficient. They understand our expectation for practical and result-oriented approaches and deliver well in this regard.’
‘Arbitrade showed high professionalism and true dedication to what they are doing. Nice people and great professionals at the same time, with profound knowledge of legislation.’
Winston & Strawn
EFKO group of companies
VFORM Technopack Pvt Ltd
State Enterprise for Foreign Trade and Investment “Promoboronexport” (Ukraine)
Grainfor Trade Ltd.
Shearman & Sterling
State Enterprise “Konotop Aviation Repair Plant “AVIAKON” (Ukraine)
- Secured a settlement for OJSC Mobile Mechanical Department Soyuzparfyumerprom in an SCC arbitration on terms beneficial for client.
- Representing VFORM Technopack Pvt Ltd in an arbitral proceeding under the ICAC at the UCCI arbitral rules in a matter relating to a failure to deliver equipment, existent impediments for delivery and associated losses.
- Representing Adama Ukraine in insolvency proceedings initiated against its Ukrainian debtors.
Asters' group has 'deep knowledge of Ukrainian law and Ukrainian issues, along with an international standard of quality'. The firm has the largest dispute resolution practice in Kiev, and it has a 20-year track record in complex domestic and cross-border disputes. In that time, it has frequently acted for the state of Ukraine, as well as major and investors and corporations, in investment arbitration matters and commercial disputes. Markiyan Kliuchkovskyi (who is 'a gem') leads on international arbitration and cross-border litigation, with Gleb Bialyi and Andriy Pozhidayev active in domestic litigation. Among the firm's other standout practitioners are 'outstanding strategic thinker' Oleksiy Didkovskiy and co-managing partner Serhii Sviriba.
Markiyan Kliuchkovskyi; Gleb Bialyi; Andriy Pozhidayev
Other key lawyers:
Oleksiy Didkovskiy; Dmytro Shemelin; Anton Sintsov
‘100% individual and client-oriented approach, with consultations at any time.’
‘The firm has deep knowledge and understanding of markets and their principles. Extensive experience in trade issues and a detailed meticulous approach to position formation. Gleb Byalyi provides excellent communication and feedback, the ability to combine all aspects of processes to form a common position. Counsel Anton Sintsov has an excellent approach to preparation and does an excellent job in filing a position at hearings and other processes.’
‘Counsel Dmytro Shemelin is smart and very good to cooperate with.’
‘All the employees of the firm demonstrate high proficiency. This is peculiar for many of the top Ukrainian firms, however, this one has ultimate zero tolerance to corruption.’
‘We have been collaborating with Asters for several years. In recent years, Asters has progressed a lot: the team grew in size becoming one of the largest in Ukraine, but it also gained a lot of unparalleled experience. Their strength lies in strong technical acumen coupled with the ability to provide business-savvy advice. In comparison with others, Asters as a firm does have enough manpower and capabilities to deal with the most sophisticated and complex projects.’
‘In arbitration proceedings and litigations abroad Oleksiy Didkovskiy is a lead partner. Oleksiy Didkovskiy is an outstanding and very experienced lawyer, highly qualified in regard to negotiation skills. He is a strategic thinker. In domestic litigation, Asters is coordinated by Andriy Pozhidayev who is responsive and pragmatic. Andriy has a good sense for sound strategies. The representation in the court proceedings by him and his team was impeccable.’
‘The firm has deep knowledge of Ukrainian law and Ukrainian issues, along with an international standard of quality.’
‘Markiyan Kliuchkovskyi is a gem!’
ASK Technology Group Limited
Atlanta Building, LLC
Bentec GmbH Drilling & Oilfield Systems
Hansa Reinsurance Brokers AG
JSC CB “Privatbank”
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan UK LLP
- Acting as local Ukrainian legal counsel for Ukraine in a landmark $3bn Eurobond dispute with Russia before the English courts.
- Successfully represented ASK Technology Limited, a leading Hong Kong manufacturer of multi-GPU systems for mining, rendering and AI, in a dispute with a Finnish company that was resolved in Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
- Successfully defended JSC CB “Privatbank” in a defamation dispute with a former chairman of the bank’s board before the Civil Court of Cassation of the Supreme Court.
EnGarde Attorneys at Law
The dispute resolution practice at EnGarde Attorneys at Law is 'very focused and engaged to deliver results, and is not afraid to act against the economic giants or political powers in the country'. Irina Nazarova (who is 'very engaged, pleasant and loyal'), Andriy Vyshnevsky and Dmytro Donenko are all highly regarded practitioners. The firm recently acted for the State of Ukraine in a $1.2bn ICSID arbitration initiated by Emergofin B.V. and Velbay Holdings Ltd. under the Ukraine-Netherlands bilateral investment treaty.
Irina Nazarova; Andriy Vyshnevsky; Dmytro Donenko
‘Engarde protects its independent status and is not afraid to act against the economic giants or political powers in the country. The litigation team in very focused and engaged to deliver results, which is often difficult in a sometimes unequal legal system.’
‘Irina Nazarova is a very engaged, pleasant and loyal lawyer, with a great strategic mind, who is concerned about the client’s needs. ’
‘The team is very responsive and efficient with high level of professionalism. They offer very good value for money. Due to, inter alia, the extensive experience and expertise of the managing partner of the firm Irina Nazarova, the team is in a position to handle complex cross-border disputes.’
‘The managing partner Irina Nazarova is a very experienced and skilled litigator and arbitrator and is involved in many complex and cross-border disputes. She is also very innovative, flexible, accessible and has a high level of professionalism.’
State of Ukraine
- Represented a group of clients in Pechersk District Court of Kyiv in a case initiated by the state-owned and managed Deposit Guarantee Fund of Ukraine in respect of responsibility of the former bank’s senior officers regarding the bank’s (Bank Forum PJSC) liquidation.
- Acting on behalf of Ukraine as Respondent in ICSID arbitration initiated by Emergofin B.V. and Velbay Holdings Ltd. under the Ukraine-Netherlands bilateral investment treaty (ICSID Case No. ARB/16/35). The dispute relates to an aluminium and alumina production company.
Ilyashev & Partners is known for 'a result-oriented approach, proactiveness, creativity'. Roman Marchenko and Mikhail Ilyashev lead a four-partner group that excels in all areas of dispute resolution, not least shareholder disputes, contentious real estate matters, insurance disputes and international arbitration. Counsels Oleg Trokhimchuk and Andrey Bychkov (who has 'a result-oriented approach and an ability to see the crux of the factual and legal issues’) are among the firm's emerging talents.
Roman Marchenko; Mikhail Ilyashev
Other key lawyers:
Oleg Trokhimchuk; Andrey Bychkov
‘Andrey Bychkov is an excellent lawyer with great expertise in shipping. His professionalism and transparency are always appreciated.’
‘This is a top-notch law firm with excellent staff and partners, very knowledgeable and effective. We worked with them on a number of occasions and continue working on various issues.’
‘The firm has an exceptionally efficient dispute resolution practice covering a broad range of areas. The team’s work is always of a high quality, the lawyers are very persuasive and take care of every little detail. The strengths I would highlight are: level of service and deep industry and legal knowledge, a very business-oriented and tailored approach to our issues, responsiveness, and smooth communication with all the team members. I especially like that they are very quick to get a good overview of legal problems in very specialist fields.’
‘Mikhail Ilyashev is the person I trust more than myself. He has wonderful insights; it’s a pleasure to work with him. You can get tactical advice from him, as well as deep knowhow. Mikhail’s strategy is very sound and he always knows what outcome would be better for our business. I highly recommend him.’
‘It has a result-oriented approach, proactiveness, creativity.’
‘Andrey Bychkov stands out for his result-oriented approach and an ability to see the crux of the factual and legal issues.’
‘The strengths of this practice are a high level of professionalism, and a creative and flexible approach to solving problems. The key capabilities of the team are also due to the significant experience of key employees in complex issues, the availability of an effective strategy and a sufficient number of quality performers of this practice. This company has a consistently professional and efficient team.’
‘The firm has the willingness and ability to provide comprehensive support and comfortable conditions for solving the problem and readiness for further cooperation. These positive qualities of this practice are most vividly embodied, in particular, the company’s partner – Roman Marchenko and counsel Andrei Bychkov.’
ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Dyckerhoff Cement Ukraine
JKX Oil & Gas Plc
JV Poltava Petroleum Company
PLANT 410 CA
- Coordination of litigations in Ukraine and abroad on $10bn compensation for losses caused as a result of fraud committed in a number of countries by the former Chairman of the Board of BTA Bank Mukhtar Ablyazov.
- Representing State Enterprise Antonov in a dispute over the contract with NATO Support and Procurement Agency for 2019-2021.
- Representing VEB.RF in multiple disputes over the shares of Prominvestbank in Ukraine.
Integrites exhibits '‘professionalism with a human touch' and it is 'an exceptionally good law firm providing excellent legal and strategic advice'. The firm predominantly acts for international and domestic private enterprises in both litigation and arbitration. In 2020, it handled arbitration matters with a combined value of more than $3.5bn. It also has niche expertise in litigation in the chemicals, energy, fintech and e-payments industries. Dmytro Marchukov leads on cross-border litigation, while Oleksandr Onishchenko represents clients in domestic litigation and Olena Perepelynska handles international arbitration cases. Serhii Uvarov and Krystyna Khripkova, who were promoted to partner and counsel respectively in April 2021, play increasingly important roles in the practice.
Dmytro Marchukov; Oleksandr Onishchenko; Olena Perepelynska
Other key lawyers:
Serhii Uvarov; Krystyna Khripkova
‘Professionalism with a human touch.’
‘I am always happy to talk to them. They always solve my problems and promptly answer my questions in a professional way.’
‘It has a result-oriented approach, not just legal comments – they do the job to get the things done’
‘Serhii Uvarov is recommended for his availability, responsiveness and quality of service.’
‘They are an exceptionally good law firm. They provide excellent legal and strategic advice. They are very well connected, both in business and political circles. Comfortably the best of the many law firms I have worked with in Ukraine. Also their written and spoken English is fluent, which is critically important from our perspective.’
‘Dmytro Marchukov is always available, heavily involved in all of the work, very clever and strategic Oleksandr Onishchenko provided excellent advice on privacy and defamation. He is very bright and a good strategist. Krystyna Khripkova is an excellent senior associate.’
‘Olexander Onishenko has great experience and leads his team on the way to achieving the best result for the client.’
‘It is quite challenging to find a law firm with a strong focus on international trade law issues here in Ukraine. We were lucky to start working with Integrites, which impressed us with its track record and deep knowledge in this field. I am very positive about our cooperation since they deliver not only legal consultations but business-oriented advice. They also understand our industry and the challenges we face as if they were working in it.’
PJSC NPC Ukrenergo
State Enterprise Ukrkhimtransamiak
- Acting as Ukrainian law counsel for SE NPC Ukrenergo in the investment arbitration against Russia regarding the expropriation of the power grid, recreational facilities and other property of the Client by the Russian authorities following the annexation of the Crimea in 2014.
- Successfully represented the interests of the Ukrainian State Enterprise Ukrkhimtransamiak, one of the world major operators of ammonia pipeline, in arbitral proceedings against a Russian chemical giant Togliattiazot with over $190m at stake.
LCF Law Group further enhanced its litigation capability in 2020 through its merger with Evris, which brought new head of cross-border litigation Ihor Kravtsov into the practice. Managing partner Anna Ogrenchuk is 'a market leader in dispute resolution'. Senior partner Artem Stoyanov and newly promoted partner Yulia Atamanova are among the firm's outstanding practitioners. Dispute resolution is its flagship practice, and the firm frequently handles complex, multijurisdictional, high-value and high-risk judicial and arbitration disputes. Ogrenchuk recently acted for VR Global Partners in cases concerning $250m in loans and debts.
Anna Ogrenchuk; Artem Stoyanov
Other key lawyers:
‘Anna Ogrenchuk is a market leader in dispute resolution.’
MRIYA Agro Holding
VR Global Partners
Ministry of Justice of Ukraine
First Ukrainian International Bank
TNT Express Worldwide
- Representing VR Global Partners’ interests in loan agreement disputes.
- Representing Bunge Ukraine in the courts of all instances, including the Supreme Court.
- Representing First Ukrainian International Bank in its dispute with state-owned company Ukrainian Railways that had attempted to recover funds as those that were unreasonably received by the client.
Lexwell & Partners provides 'top quality and ensures the best results, with strong expertise and a client-oriented approach'. The dispute resolution practice works exclusively on high-profile cases, whether they are complex commercial, civil and administrative cases in Ukraine. The varied workload covers international litigation, as well as investment treaty and commercial arbitration cases. Practice head Andrei Kolupaev is known for his 'strong expertise, hardworking nature and practical approach'. Igor Nagai is another key figure. Recent highlights included advising the Government of Ukraine on a $5bn investment arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have used this firm for many years for various projects as they are our strategic legal partner in Ukraine. We assigned to Lexwell & Partners a number of sophisticated and high-profile legal matters which are critical for our smooth operations in Ukraine. They provide top quality and ensure the best results. So, high quality, strong expertise and client-oriented approach are the strengths of the firm.’
‘My main contact is Andrei Kolupaev. His key strengths are strong expertise, a hardworking nature and a practical approach.’
‘I have been working with the firm for over 10 years. Premium legal quality and client-oriented approach is the key strength of the team. I like their tailored approach to each specific case. I am really impressed by the high-end quality, in-depth legal analysis and top level of professionalism.’
‘My key contact is Andrei Kolupaev, a partner of the firm. I believe he is a remarkable lawyer, who perfectly knows his clients.’
‘The firm provides: deep study of the case, very grounded legal advice and clarification of options and risks.’
‘The individuals are highly involved in the case and in the related details of the business processes. They are punctual and precise.’
‘I am sure they really have a unique DR practice. We have been cooperating for more than 20 years and assigned them all our disputes. At all times they ensure top quality, top efficiency, and top results. They are extremely skilled.’
‘I primarily work with Andrei Kolupaev and Igor Nagai. This tandem work smoothly and perfectly. They complement each other. Both are available 24/7, produce top quality and give best possible result.’
State Property Fund of Ukraine
- Acting as the local co-counsel representing Government of Ukraine in $5bn investment arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Acting as the local co-counsel representing the interests of Naftogaz in $5bn dispute before the LCIA.
- Acts as the local counsel representing interests of the Government of Ukraine in $150m investment arbitration.
Sayenko Kharenko ‘shows a professional and flexible approach to cases' and its team has 'a readiness to act quickly and responsively to changing circumstances'. Olexander Droug and Sergey Pogrebnoy work with the newly-hired head of litigation Olena Sukmanova, who was previously Deputy Minister of Justice of Ukraine. The firm, which now has one of the country's largest disputes practices, has a stellar track record in domestic and cross-border litigation, as well as international arbitration. It is representing The State of Ukraine in a $5bn Energy Charter Treaty matter.
Olexander Droug; Sergey Pogrebnoy; Olena Sukmanova
‘The firm shows a professional and flexible approach to cases. It has a readiness to act quickly and responsively to changing circumstances.’
‘The firm shows professionalism and an open-minded approach.’
Group of Companies Fazor
Henkell Freixenet Group
Japan Tobacco International Ukraine
The State of Ukraine
- Representing the State of Ukraine in an Energy Charter investment arbitration.
- Representing Auchan Ukraine in real estate disputes.
- Representing Henkell Freixenet Group in a number of corporate disputes.
Vasil Kisil & Partners has a large and well-established dispute resolution practice that handles high-profile and complex commercial, civil and administrative cases. It successfully represented Sandypool Ltd in a dispute concerning a $21m debt in commercial court. Managing partner Andriy Stelmashchuk, head of domestic litigation Oleg Kachmar and international arbitration head Oleg Alyoshin are the main contacts. Also recommended is associate Vsevolod Mazurenko, whose 'ability to analyse difficult legal issues and think on his feet is impressive'.
Andriy Stelmashchuk; Oleg Kachmar; Oleg Alyoshin
Other key lawyers:
‘We have worked with the team at VKP headed by Mr Oleg Alyoshin. We have been impressed by this team’s ability to answer difficult questions of law directly, clearly and succinctly. When challenged, the team is prepared to stand by their advice and explain it further.’
‘VKP has specialists in many areas of Ukrainian law, which allows the disputes team to draw on their expertise. The VKP team is also capable of complying with very short deadlines when necessary, and their knowledge of the English language is outstanding.’
‘Mr Oleg Alyoshin is one of the best disputes practitioners in Ukraine. At the same time, unlike some other people at his level, he remains directly involved in the day-to-day work, participates in calls and meeting and is always familiar with the detail. Drawing on his experience, Mr Alyoshin frequently suggests elegant solutions to difficult legal issues.’
‘We have also dealt directly with associate Vsevolod Mazurenko. Despite his youth, Mr Mazurenko’s ability to analyse difficult legal issues and think on his feet is impressive. Mr Mazurenko is also familiar with the realities of English legal practice, and takes them into account in his Ukrainian law advice.’
Socar Energy Ukraine
Gloria Jeans JSC
Oksana Markarova, a Minister of Finance of Ukraine
Miniso Ukraine LLC
European Business Association
Prandicle Limited (Cyprus)
Sebgaf Incorporated and Denziart Incorporated (Panama)
New Alternative Oak (France)
Palma Group SA
- Representing European Business Association as a third party on the side of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine in the administrative dispute challenging the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine which introduces the obligatory use of payment transaction registrars for the consumer electronics.
- Successfully represented the interests of Sandypool Ltd (Cyprus) in a dispute over a $21m debt against Specialised Seaport Nika-Tera LLC, one of the biggest ports in Ukraine, in a commercial court.
- Represented Prandicle Limited (Cyprus) in English proceedings involving a set of inter-related claims arising from disputes between Ukrainian well-known businessmen Mr Vitaly Gaiduk, Mr Sergiy Taruta and Mr Oleg Mkrtchan, and their respective corporate vehicles, about the division of their previously jointly-held assets.
At Arzinger, the team is 'always available and has in-depth knowledge of the individual cases'. The practice has three partners - Sergii Shkliar, Kateryna Gupalo and Markian Malskyy - who handle commercial, investment, administrative and banking disputes. Counsel Oksana Karel is 'a class act and particularly adept at international litigation'. The firm recently represented hedge fund Promeritum Fund in a $45m insolvency dispute involving borrowers with assets in the conflict zone in Eastern Ukraine.
Sergii Shkliar; Kateryna Gupalo; Markian Malskyy
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is always available and has in-depth-knowledge of the individual cases.’
‘Oksana Karel is especially active in the market and a good choice to work with when you need assistance in complex litigation matters in Ukraine.’
‘They are really commercial and easy to deal with.’
‘Oksana Karel is a class act and particularly adept at international litigation.’
Promeritum Fund SPC
Shell Lubricants Supply Company B.V.
CNBM International Corporation
Springer Maschinenfabrik GmbH
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Santa Ukraine (member of Santa Group)
Alliance Holding LLC (Shell group)
Imperial Tobacco Ukraine
Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine
- Represented а Fortune-500 Chinese client and its Ukrainian subsidiary in a series of commercial litigation disputes against Ukrainian financial company worth over €117m.
- Representing two Ukrainian subsidiaries of Imperial Tobacco group in court proceedings related to cancellation of the decision of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine imposing the largest fine in the history of anti-competitive concerted actions.
- Representing Promeritum Fund SPC (a major international hedge fund) in complex insolvency proceedings of a member of a prominent Ukrainian metallurgy group, with the client’s $45m claims being governed by English law and complicated by several assignments and multiple foreign and Ukrainian borrowers with assets partially located in the conflict zone in Eastern Ukraine.
Avellum maintains an active litigation practice, despite the demerger with AGA Partners. Vadim Medvedev, who is known for both commercial and tax litigation, leads a practice that advises leading Ukrainian companies on complex disputes arising from financial restructurings and M&A. Counsel Lyudmyla Volkova and senior associate Andriy Fortunenko are emerging talents in the group, which was strengthened by the arrival of counsel Mykyta Nota from Kinstellar, The team has 'a creative way of thinking'. In early 2021, Kostiantyn Likarchuk joined from Kinstellar as head of international arbitration.
Vadim Medvedev; Kostiantyn Likarchuk
Other key lawyers:
Lyudmyla Volkova; Mykyta Nota; Andriy Fortunenko
‘The firm shows commercial awareness, good negotiation and project management skills, and involvement in legislative processes.’
‘The team has strong communication skills, the ability to adapt to clients’ circumstances, promptness, a creative way of thinking and offering of extraordinary decisions.’
Noteholders’ Committee of Mriya Agro Holding Plc
Jacobs Douwe Egberts Ukraina
Norman Intertrade Ltd
Caterpillar Financial Ukraine
- Represented Sembol Construction in a significant dispute against Ukrainian tax authorities.
- Representing the world’s leading investment funds as owners of the majority of notes issued by Mriya Agro Holding Plc in the insolvency proceedings of Mriya group companies.
- Acting for Uber Ukraine in litigation launched by a victim of a road accident seeking to recover damages both from driver and from Uber. The case is significant for Ukrainian litigation market as this is the first occasion where the court is to consider if an intermediary platform may be held liable before the customer for the damages caused by the contractor.
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office is recommended by clients for its 'top-notch legal expertise and strategic vision'. It is strong in domestic and cross-border litigation and arbitration. The varied portfolio of work includes matters concerning antitrust law, privatisations, investments, raider attacks and bankruptcies. Practice head Ihor Siusel is 'a great lawyer with strategic vision and the utmost knowledge and expertise'. Senior associate Kseniia Pogruzhalska and associate Ievgen Bidnyi are also key members of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Kseniia Pogruzhalska; Ievgen Bidnyi
‘The dispute resolution team of Baker McKenzie Kyiv Office embarked on a highly sophisticated litigation matter in the Supreme Court after we lost this matter in the two lower courts. They brought to this matter their top-notch legal expertise and strategic vision, altering the negative trend and reversing the lower courts’ judgments in the Supreme Court.’
‘Ihor Siusel led our case to success. Ihor is a great lawyer with strategic vision, utmost knowledge and expertise, capable of resolving complex and difficult matters. I would also like to mention associate Ievgen Bidnyi, who greatly contributed to our success as a smart and experienced lawyer.’
At Dentons, the dispute resolution group in Kiev handles litigation and arbitration proceedings in the local market, as well as cross-border matters involving Ukrainian law. The 'exceptionally smart and business-oriented' Oleg Batyuk leads the seven-lawyer team, which includes 'efficient and diligent' counsel Oleg Kuchanskyy. Among its many areas of expertise are commercial litigation, real estate and product liability disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Oleg Kuchanskyy; Volodymr Monastyrsky
‘A really good sense of practical solutions, good legal knowledge combined with great business sense and political savviness is a great combination for Ukraine!’
‘Volodymr Monastyrsky is an outstanding lawyer – always calm, even in periods of crisis, with a viable solution and explanation as to the up and downside of any solution. You feel that you are in good hands!’
‘The firm shows efficiency, solid knowledge or various matters in relation to litigation, and the ability to adapt international best practices to national matters.’
‘Oleg Batyuk is an exceptionally smart and business-oriented person. He understands clients’ needs very well and is always ready to help. Oleg Kuchanskyy is exceptionally experienced in litigation. He provides efficient and diligent assistance.’
- Successfully represented a European creditor in a multi-party arbitration in the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) against a Ukrainian company, which operates in the world steel market.
- Advised a multinational pharmaceutical company on debt recovery litigation with regard to supplied products.
- Advised TA Ventures on the unblocking funds and related restructuring and insolvency matters.
Eterna Law is 'pragmatic, commercially minded and easy to work with’. The firm has a stellar reputation for representing the Ukrainian state and private interests in arbitration matters both in Ukraine and abroad (including GAFTA and FOSFA cases), as well as in domestic and international litigation. In late 2020, the firm hired Nataliia Koroviakovska, who previously ran her own independent practice, as its new head of dispute resolution. Partners Andrey Astapov, Oleh Beketov and Eugene Blinov are also key individuals in the group.
Nataliia Koroviakovska; Andrey Astapov; Oleh Beketov; Eugene Blinov
Other key lawyers:
Olena Shumalo; Igor Mulyarchuk
‘Eterna Law Firm is a highly professional team that demonstrated full devotion to the set tasks. The professional approach highlights this firm among others.’
‘We highly appreciate all of the engaged lawyers which handled their legal services.’
‘Pragmatic, commercially minded and easy to work with.’
‘Eugene Blinov is excellent to work with.’
‘Eterna Law has a wide range of partner law firms in foreign jurisdictions, that allows it to be flexible and prompt in resolving any issues related to foreign substantive and procedural law. Lawyers of Eterna Law proved to be excellent specialists at handling complex disputes, providing full-cycle assistance starting with developing an effective and well-founded case strategy, preparing legal documents, and ending with representing and pursuing clients’ cases.’
‘During our deep cooperation, the team of lawyers – Andrey Astapov, counsel Igor Mulyarchuk and associate Olena Shumalo proved their professionalism and loyalty to clients.’
‘Eugene Blinov is always tenacious in pursuit of his client’s case. He has a very good grasp of English law and practice.’
‘I have worked with Oleh Beketov on a number of cases. He is very responsive and researches issues thoroughly. He is very industrious and looks for solutions to meet the clients’ needs.’
National Bank of Ukraine
Joint Stock Company “Ukrainian Railways”
LLC Cub Market
Soufflet Negoce SA
Nescare Group LP
Mr Gilfanov, Mr Tokarev
- Acted as an expert on Ukrainian law issues for Dargamo Holdings Limited and Sergey Taruta in legal proceedings in the High Court of Great Britain. The initial claim arose as a result of a corporate dispute over the sale of assets in the Industrial Union of Donbass (ISD), one of the largest industrial groups in Ukraine, which is present in multidisciplinary industries, focusing on metallurgy between co-owners, prominent Ukrainian businessmen, gentlemen. The total cumulative value of the dispute exceeded $3bn.
- Acting as expert on Ukrainian law issues for PJSC CB Privat Bank in litigation proceedings before the High Court of Justice in the UK against former owners of the bank – Mr. Kolomoyskyi and Mr. Bogoluybov.
- Representation of Ukrenergy Trade’s interests in arbitration proceedings at the Vienna International Arbitration Center (VIAC), initiated as a result of violation by the defendants of export contracts for the supply of electricity from the so-called Burshtyn TPP (Ukraine) island to Slovakia, Romania and/or Hungary.
Hillmont Partners LLC is relatively new to the market but is increasingly involved in high-value and high-profile cross-border matters. The firm is 'uniquely well-placed to manage complex disputes involving Ukrainian and other Eastern European parties, and has particular expertise in complex bilateral investment treaty arbitration'. Serhii Nyzhnyi and James Hart jointly lead the team, which includes Taras Tertychnyi, senior associate Ivan Kovalenko and counsel Andrii Chornous.
Serhii Nyzhnyi; James Hart
Other key lawyers:
Ivan Kovalenko; Andrii Chornous; Sergii Regeliuk; Taras Tertychnyi; Igor Pugaiko; Serhii Kryzhov
‘Hillmont Partners is uniquely well-placed to manage complex disputes involving Ukrainian and other Eastern European parties, and has particular expertise in complex bilateral investment treaty arbitration. The team has an enviable and loyal client following and contacts in various jurisdictions to leverage expertise as and where required, particularly in arbitral proceedings with an international or political flavour.’
‘James Hart is an outstanding operator, with an exceptional intellect and natural sensitivity for navigating complex and evolving client demands. He is a go-to individual whenever a situation needs a careful and experienced hand.’
‘Sergii Regeliuk and Andrii Chornous are both very dependable and hardworking, and key names to watch for the future.’
‘The team is particularly competent and very knowledgeable. Work is performed in various levels from junior lawyers, reviewed by more senior counsels whilst partners are always on hand and actively involved. We recommended clients to Hillmont and they were extremely satisfied with the handling of the lawyers involved. the team is capable of handling any type of transaction. They have the necessary characteristics to find solutions for any problem, no matter how substantial.’
‘James Hart and Taras Tertychnyi are exceptional lawyers and persons, very knowledgeable and ethical, who have significant expertise and can handle and overcome any issue which may arise in the context of any transaction. Both are also very flexible and above all, responsive. With this kind of lawyer each client feels in very safe hands.’
‘This is a team that specialises in dispute resolution with a number of good successes to show for their efforts. I have found their team to excellent, pragmatic and effective.’
‘Taras Tertychnyi provides high-quality advice and pays rigorous attention to detail. He focuses on the issues that truly matter in a transaction and provides pragmatic solutions.’
‘Hillmont’s dispute resolution team is comprised of seasoned individuals experienced both in national and international litigation. The scale and skill set of their practice puts them in top-10 of Ukrainian law firms. Hillmont is one of few Ukrainian law firms that have a representative office in London, which allows for close cooperation and access to the best English lawyers.’
Komaksavia Airport Invest Ltd
Glovoapp Ukraine LLC
Argentem Creek Partners LP
Gas of Ukraine
Nuclear Energy Systems Ukraine (NESU)
Zasyadko Coal Mine
Marie Brizard Wine & Spirits SA
Delta Wilmar CIS LLC
Coveris Rigid Polska
Zhezheliv Granite Quarry
- Represented Komaksavia Airport Invest Ltd in an investment arbitration case against a sovereign state (Republic of Moldova) with approximately €900m claim demands. The firm supported by two English lawyers obtained an arbitral award for interim measures in the client’s favour, which obliged the state to refrain from any actions aimed at terminating the Concession Agreement over Chisinau Airport.
- Advising a foreign investor on sophisticated and high-stakes multi-jurisdictional commercial litigations arising from a trade centre with an approximate value of $200m, as well as on the option of pursuing an investment arbitration at ICSID.
- Representing NPC Ukrenergo, the national grid operator, in the $10m dispute with the Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry regarding the latter’s inaction in approving individual documents for financing the construction of the individual energy infrastructure facilities as part of the implementation of the Energy Strategy of Ukraine.
Kinstellar hired Olexander Martinenko from CMS as its new head of dispute resolution, following the departure of Kostiantyn Likarchuk to Avellum. The firm remains active in cross-border litigation, including shareholders' disputes, investment and insolvency litigation. It successfully represented a former shareholder of one of Ukraine’s largest agribusiness groups in a London-seated arbitration conducted under the ICC Arbitration Rules. Senior associate Danylo Volkovetskyi is an emerging talent in international litigation. Like Likarchuk, Mykyta Nota also moved to Avellum. The firm acquired DLA Piper in 2021, welcoming Olga Vorozhbyt and senior associate Oleksii Gerasymchuk to the team.
Olexander Martinenko; Olga Vorozhbyt
Other key lawyers:
Danylo Volkovetskyi; Oleksii Gerasymchuk
‘The dispute resolution team truly works as a team representing all locations and offices. Next to that, they offer true hands-on advice. They have been more than capable of getting boots on the ground fast to assist the client whenever and where ever needed. Quite impressive.’
‘The dispute resolution practice of Kinstellar is always to the point and focused on pragmatic solutions.’
‘Kinstellar has a very qualitative client base which has serious and complex cases to bring before the courts. It has a knack for approaching multi-jurisdictional cases from a strategic viewpoint. Kinstellar knows how each jurisdiction’s legal system operates and this allows them to approach the complex cases they work on with a clear roadmap of what they want to achieve for their client. Together, we are always able to develop a legal roadmap of actions to be taken in concert in different jurisdictions. This is impossible to achieve without deep knowledge of different legal systems and Kinstellar has this knowledge in abundance.’
‘Danylo Volkovetskyi is an able advocate who knows the cases he works on very well. He is quick to reply to requests for information and documents and is not merely ornamental as one might find to be the case with younger members of teams from other offices.’
‘The team is efficient in handling the cases, simply by following-up clearly the file and easy to cooperate with, for the benefit of the client.’
‘I wish to underline the qualities of Danylo Volkovetskyi, who is very efficient in handling the cases, from the beginning and the first questions to the follow-up and contacts for the benefit of the client. He is also humanly a nice person to work with and seems an experienced lawyer by all means.’
‘A very substantial broad-based international dispute resolution and international arbitration practice with many closely inter-connected offices. A very high standard of case preparation, analysis and presentation. The firm understands well how to work in different jurisdictions, including in England and with the English bar.’
‘The team has unparalleled depth of experience and expertise in cross border litigation.’
Galicia Distillery PJSC
Mr Oleg Mkrtchan
British American Tobacco
Ms. Anna Tigipko
Galicia Distillery PJSC
- Successfully represented a former shareholder of one of Ukraine’s largest agribusiness groups in a London-seated arbitration conducted under the ICC Arbitration Rules. The claims against the client, totalling $40m for alleged conspiracy, fraud and breach of various contractual obligations were dismissed entirely.
- Representing the interests of British American Tobacco (its Ukrainian affiliates) in court proceedings to challenge the Ukrainian antitrust authority decision alleging that the company was allegedly involved in anticompetitive concerted action with the other tobacco companies in Ukraine as well as a local distributor, Tedis Ukraine LLC, to create and maintain the monopolistic position of Tedis within the Ukrainian market for the distribution of tobacco products.
- Representing Galicia Distillery PJSC in the set of proceedings before Ukrainian courts in relation to Ukrainian tax authorities that belatedly wrote off the client’s tax debt, which resulted in increase of tax liabilities of the client.
Marchenko Partners is one of the leading firms in Kiev for public international law matters and investor-state disputes; it has a success rate of resolving cases in favour of clients that exceeds 95%. It competes strongly with international law firms to handle international treaty disputes. Oleh Marchenko leads a small dispute resolution group, whose recent work included a $50m investor-state case for Philip Morris International.
Philip Morris International Inc. (USA), Philip Morris Global Brands Inc. (USA), Philip Morris Brands Sarl (Switzerland), and Philip Morris Ukraine Private JSC
Lorraine McMahon (France), Franklin McMahon (USA and Canada), Home Group S.A. (Luxembourg), and Morgan Furniture LLC (Ukraine)
LafargeHolcim (Switzerland) and Lafarge Ciment Moldova
U.S. Export-Import Bank
- Successfully acted as a public international law counsel for Philip Morris International (USA) and affiliated companies in the investor-state dispute and negotiations with Ukraine concerning the unfair and expropriatory tax claims and penalties imposed on Philip Morris Ukraine in connection with inward processing operations.
- Acting for Franklin McMahon and Lorraine McMahon (the US, Canadian and French investors) and their affiliated companies in the ongoing investor-state dispute and negotiations with Ukraine and in related domestic court proceedings.
- Acted for Lafarge Ciment Moldova in an anti-dumping (AD) investigation initiated by the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine concerning imports into Ukraine of Portland cement manufactured by Lafarge Ciment Moldova.
Moris Group, which mainly focuses on litigation, has offices in both Kiev and the western Ukrainian city of Ivano-Frankivsk. It specialises in cases arising from bank failures, and distressed or toxic financial assets. The firm is currently acting for Imexbank JSCB, a large Ukrainian commercial bank, in cases with a value in excess of $470m resulting from its bankruptcy. Andriy Savchuk leads the ten-lawyer practice.
Allrise Capital USA
Khreshatyk Commercial Bank JSC
Kyiv National Linguistic University
The Orthodox Church of Ukraine
- Imexbank JSCB was declared as bankrupt and as the result numerous court cases were launched. The firm provided complex legal support for the client. The total value of Imexbank cases is now more than $470m. The case is of high importance for Ukraine, because Imexbank was one of the largest commercial banks in Ukraine.
- Complex legal support for Ukrteplo LLC in case concerning leasing for 30 years from the national company NJSC “Naftogaz of Ukraine” 4 thermal power plants and restructuring the debt of Ukrteplo to NJSC “Naftogaz of Ukraine”. Ukrteplo LLC wants to invest €160m – €200m in construction of new generating equipment based on 4 thermal power plants, general power 200MW.
Pragnum's dispute resolution team is actively involved in domestic and international business litigation, which includes protecting companies from raider attacks for corporate and real estate assets. Lead partner Vitaly Bobrynev (who 'can find a solution to legal problems that other lawyers refuse to deal with') and counsel Oleksii Nekrasov are among the recommended practitioners.
Other key lawyers:
‘We worked with Vitaliy Bobrynev and Oleksii Nekrasov. Their skills and knowledge are top.’
‘Oleksii Nekrasov and Vitaliy Bobrynev show the highest competitiveness and involvement in our issue, as well as perfect communication.’
‘The guys listen to our problems and resolve them in terms we need. They find a way to help us in any situation. Pragnum helps us with problems in all areas of activity so we don’t need to find another lawyer.’
‘Oleksii Nekrasov, the head of tax and white-collar crimes practice, is the man we speak to almost every day. He and his staff can make the best result in a short time.’
‘The Pragnum team has established itself in our projects as a well-coordinated mechanism, and each team member is an integral part of it.’
‘I would like to mention Vitaly Bobrynev, who can find a solution to legal problems that other lawyers refuse to deal with.’
‘The are creative problem-solvers who always meet deadlines and behave professionally. They show careful attention to detail, follow tasks through to completion, and fulfil our requirements admirably. The firm is innovative and creative, as well as punctual, reliable and hardworking.’
Titan Machinery Ukraine
KM Core Holding
Anglo Austrian AAB Bank AG
DSV Global Transport and Logistic
SVEL Group JSC (Russia)
Castrol Ukraine / BP (UK)
Unitek Energy AG
- Acting for DSV Global Transport and Logistic on the acquisition of the largest logistics operator Panalpina Welttransport Holding AG in relation to €14.5m commercial and tax disputes.
- Representing Siemens Ukraine in debt recovery business litigation under Medical Equipment Delivery Agreement.
- Representing Anglo Austrian AAB Bank AG in bankruptcy procedure including €147.7m business litigation.
Redcliffe Partners has been involved in increasingly high-profile matters, which recently included handling a multijurisdictional case for EBRD in connection with the enforcement of a $44.5m non-performing loan. Practice head Sergiy Gryshko is 'an amazing character and an amazing lawyer' who handles investment arbitration cases, joint venture and M&A disputes. In addition, he is experienced in international commercial arbitration cases in key sectors such as energy, infrastructure, pharmaceuticals and banking.
‘The lawyers are professionals, they are multidisciplinary in many areas of law. Disputes are stressful, but competitors are more narrowly targeted by specialists who, in stressful situations, do not know what to do.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
RHI Glas GmbH
Raiffeisen Bank International AG
Mr Vlad Tsilytsky
Company with a foreign investment “LG Electronics Ukraine”, as entirely owned by the corporation “LG Electronics Inc.”
- Advised EBRD on the enforcement of a non-performing loan.
- Assisted RHI Glas GmbH (a global leading supplier of high-grade refractory materials) with securing leave to enforce a Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC) award in Ukraine and having it actually enforced in three parallel enforcement proceedings.
- Advised LG Electronics Ukraine on a series of ICAC arbitrations against a Turkish guarantor under the complex equipment supply contract.
ADER HABER has expanded the scope of its work for international and domestic companies, with it handling disputes involving banking and finance, energy and natural resources, and general commercial matters. Yuriy Petrenko and counsel Andrii Hvozdetskyi lead 'an experienced team that provides top-notch advice, and remains 100% responsive and reliable'. Senior associates Dmitrii Shahirmanov and Ivan Zalizniak are further names to note, as is Artem Vitsenko who is recommended as a 'very experienced and skilled practitioner'.
Yuriy Petrenko; Andrii Hvozdetskyi
Other key lawyers:
Dmitrii Shahirmanov; Ivan Zalizniak; Artem Vitsenko; Dmitrii Makiyan
‘Andrii Hvozdetskyi precisely organised the work process.’
‘During our long-term cooperation with the ADER HABER, we have pointed out their understanding the way of our company business being, what is extremely important for our sustainable development and allows us to build the effective business solutions and come over the most challenging issues. No matter the level of the challenges, the ADER HABER lawyers always guide our company through the issues, assist us in dealing with problems settled afterwards and prevent the issues to arise in future. As far as we are concerned, such incredible results are borne of the sharp-minded lawyers of ADER HABER.’
‘Comparing to the other law firms the ADER HABER lawyers stand out with their fast reaction for our requests, the possibilities to provide us with fast solutions and fully assisting during implementation of the different projects in miscellaneous legal areas. ADER HABER’s dispute resolution team demonstrates their ability to adapt to new situations as they change from moment to moment. At the same time, we greatly appreciate the commitment to the results, which is provided by the ADER HABER lawyers in the projects, that they implement fully outsourced.’
‘ADER HABER is fully deal-oriented, has a highly professional and extremely experienced team that provides top-notch advice, and remains for us 100% responsive and reliable.’
During our cooperation, we have been working with Yuriy Petrenko and Andrii Hvozdetskyi on different challenging issues. Yuriy Petrenko traditionally provides us with extremely good services. Yuriy is always available and helpful. He has seen many things in his career and is able to share his experience, which always can come in handy. He is extremely efficient and aware of the needs of his clients for sure. We appreciate valuable opinions and strategic advice provided by Yuriy Petrenko.’
‘We also work with Andrii Hvozdetskyi for many years and we had the opportunity to observe his fantastic career in ADER HABER. He has amazing managing skills mixed with perfect understanding of our needs. Andrii Hvozdetskyi is extremely intelligent and able to handle complex issues with a careful attention to the big picture and minor details as well. Our long cooperation let us to finish each other’s thoughts, what is extremely helpful to come over absolutely different challenges.’
‘Senior associate Artem Vitsenko and associate Dmitrii Makiyan have provided us with excellent legal advice during 2020 and helped us to come over some challenging internal issues. Artem is very experienced and skilled practitioner. On the other hand, Dmytro, being a young lawyer, has the useful opportunity to give a non-conventional view on the situation.’
‘They appear to have a highly qualified team in various different areas of legal practice. I have mainly worked with Andrii Hvozdetskyi and the case he is working on is still ongoing. However, the communication and results so far have been very solid.’
STOLLER INTERNATIONAL, INC
PJSC Bank UKOOPSPILKA
SWISS TIMBER INTERNATIONAL
Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC)
Members of Parliament of Ukraine Vadym Novynskyi and Oleksandr Dolzhenkov
JIANGSU ELITE PETROLEUM TECHNOLOGY CO. LTD
Obninsk chemical and pharmaceutical company PJSC
- Represented the SWISS TIMBER INTERNATIONAL’s interests in proceedings on recovery from WOOD INDUSTRY UKRAINE LLC, a Ukrainian timber supplier to the EU countries, of prepayment for undelivered goods.
- Represented the Ukrainian Orthodox Church interests in more than 40 cases over appeal state authorities’ unlawful actions on the score of adoption of the amendments to the Law of Ukraine “On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organisations”.
- Representing the interests of Kyivhaz, JSC in the legal disputes with the Operator of the gas transmission system of Ukraine regarding the recognition of a natural gas transportation agreement as concluded.
AGA Partners, which merged with Avellum in 2018, separated from the firm in 2020 (although both firms continue the relationship as an alliance). The firm is acknowledged as 'the best' in international commodities arbitration, and its dispute resolution practice is mainly focused on matters of international trade. Nevertheless, its arbitration group (which is led by Aminat Suleymanova, Iryna Moroz and Ivan Kasynyuk) continues to extend its scope to investment and general commercial matters.
Aminat Suleymanova; Iryna Moroz; Ivan Kasynyuk
‘AGA Partners is à law firm of exceptional lawyers that provide legal services of international level.’
‘Iryna Moroz is a high-calibre litigator and arbitration practitioner. Her business awareness and commitment to the client are remarkable.’
GST Central Farming Limited
Grain Service LLC
King & Spalding LLC
AGS Trading GMBH
Millcorp Geneve SA
ADAMA UKRAINE LLC
Agro Metal FZCO
Alvari Rus LLC
Miloubar Agriculture Cooperative LTD
NCH Capital Inc. (UK)
Harvest Group S.A.
State Food Grain Corporation of Ukraine, PJSC
ADM Company GmbH
Posco Daewoo Corporation
COFCO Agri Resourses LLC
Astarta Holding LLC
Myronivsky Hliboproduct (MHP)
Olam International Limited
Shyntomer Speciality Addictives
Marcopolo Commodities SA
GAFTA Kyiv Office
Granum, part of Globex Inernational
Ronly Holdings Ltd (UK)
Smart Trade Overseas SA
Fergus Kazakhstan LLP
Iliotropion Trade & Services LTD
Kolo Agrarhandel GmbH
Mimier Trade SA
Kazansky Oil Extraction Plant (Russia)
Ligo General Trading FZE
Ambar Export/Bizon Tech
Top Grain LTD
AK Commodities S.A
- Represented Ukrlandfarming group in the High Court of England and Wales in long- lasting dispute for the total amount of over $60m with one of the major manufacturers and exporters in Ukraine.
- Successfully represented Agroprosperis Trading Limited (part of NCH Capital) in ICAC in a dispute with one of the major international trading company.
- Successfully represented State Food and Grain Corporation of Ukraine, PJSC in the GAFTA arbitration in a dispute concerning the recovery of the price for the delivered goods.
Alekseev, Boyarchukov & Partners
Alekseev, Boyarchukov & Partners has 'a qualified and professional legal team in debt collection and procedures of bankruptcy'. It acts for Ukrainian and international banks in bankruptcy procedures of debtors, debt recovery, and management and restructuring of debtors’ asset portfolios. Noted for their 'in-depth expertise in litigation' practice heads Sergey Boyarchukov, Maksim Boyarchukov and Oleksandr Tkachuk deliver an 'excellent level of client-oriented services'.
Sergey Boyarchukov; Maksm Boyarchukov; Oleksandr Tkachuk
‘A qualified and professional legal team in debt collection and procedures of bankruptcy.’
‘The firm shows a high level of quality and responsibility.’
‘I am a long-time client of the firm. The dispute resolution practice provides an excellent level of client-oriented services. The feedback is always quick and accurate. The team is highly professional and always well-aimed. So far the dispute resolution practice is one of the strongest judicial teams in Ukraine in questions of litigation. I would definitely recommend them.’
‘I would highlight three partners – Sergey Boyarchukov, Maksim Boyarchukov and Mr Oleksandr Tkachuk. Each of them has a strong individuality combined with in-depth expertise in litigation, which is an absolute must for a lawyer.’
Alpha Bank PJSC
Investohills Vesta LLC
Discover Drilling Equipment LLC
- Representing Sberbank PJSC in $118m debt recovery disputes with a number of legal entities, including Kyiv Jewellery Plant.
- Representing Discover Drilling Equipment LLC’s interests in $6.5m debt recovery dispute with Financial Company Factor Plus and Zlatobank LLC through entering into Settlement Agreement.
- Representing Alpha Bank PJSCs’ interests as a creditor in $72m debt recovery dispute and bankruptcy procedure.
Counsel Olga Shenk now leads CMS' dispute resolution practice, following the departure of Olexander Martinenko to Kinstellar. Shenk has extensive experience in complex litigation and arbitration proceedings in Ukraine and abroad, notably in international investment and commercial arbitrations. Maria Orlyk and Anna Pogrebna also play key roles in the practice. The firm provides 'effective and practical solutions to complex and sensitive matters'.
Olga Shenk; Maria Orlyk; Anna Pogrebna
‘The team showed itself to be uniquely positioned to pick up the case on short notice prior to the appellate court hearing. I was impressed by how effectively the partner was able to pull together a small number of key resources with the right skill set, and how each of these people gained an intricate understanding of the case complexities.’
‘Olga Shenk was brilliant at presenting our position in court, fighting for us with guts and determination.’
‘In the case CMS worked on for us, the team demonstrated knowledge of sophisticated legal matters in combination with a very pragmatic risk assessment approach, what allowed to secure for us the victory in a very sensitive dispute. ’
‘In a jurisdiction which is not the most “ethical”, CMS Ukraine provides reliable litigation assistance. They will always stay straight and efficiently assist foreign clients while complying with Western standards.’
‘Maria Orlyk is my go-to partner there. I trust her and she provides tremendous assistance in a very difficult legal environment.’
- Represented Ukrainian Sugar Company LLC in litigation with Ukrainian tax authorities related to challenge of a number of tax notifications-decisions which altogether resulted in alleged tax assessment of $13m.
- Acting as a local counsel to an international steel trader and expert witness on the Ukrainian law matters within the scope of the court dispute in the Netherlands between the client and Ukrainian vertically integrated group of steel and mining companies.
EQUITY Law Firm
EQUITY Law Firm has expanded its domestic litigation and international arbitration practice, and plays a prominent role in high-value disputes. The firm recently acted for engineering company Azovmash Group in litigation to recover $850m from ten banks. The practice is led by the 'intelligent and cool-headed' Viktor Barsuk, Oleg Malinevsky and Sergey Chuyev. The firm recently launched a new arbitration department with the hire of counsel Oksana Varakina from Winston & Strawn LLP in Paris.
Viktor Barsuk; Oleg Malinevskiy; Serhiy Chuyev
Other key lawyers:
‘In EQUITY, there is a highly efficient, commercially savvy team, that is focused on achieving the best results. A high level of partners engagement is another key feature that makes this company renowned in dispute resolution practice.’
‘Viktor is intelligent and cool-headed. Oleg’s creative approach and out-of-the-box thinking makes him an extremely valued professional and strong opponent in the court.’
‘They are timely and detailed in their responses and work. The team combines top-quality technical skills with efficiency, cost management and commercial practicality.’
‘Oleg Malinevskiy is at the top in dispute resolution in Ukraine. His strong litigation team is really unique and insuperable.’
‘EQUITY team’s experience is large and covers many areas of expertise. They provide efficient solutions to the most challenging matters and build lasting relationship with clients.’
‘Oleg Malinevskiy and Viktor Barsuk are the strongest and client-oriented lawyers. They are knowledgeable on litigation procedures and Ukrainian legislation. Viktor is a leader at EQUITY and always proposes and finds new ways to solve all problems.’
Helen Marlen Group
United Cardboard Company Ukraine LLC
Corporate Non-Governmental Pension Fund of the National Bank of Ukraine
Porsche Finance Group Ukraine
- Advised Azovmash Group on the restructuring of $850m debt towards ten banks.
- Advised PJSC UkrInCom on insolvency proceedings.
- Represented Helen Marlen Group in over 30 cases related to the enforcement of the loan and mortgage agreements against Delta Bank for the total amount of $41m.
Esquires Law Firm
At Esquires Law Firm, 'the client-oriented, accurate and proficient lawyers always give well-reasoned legal support'. Lead partner Oleksandr Shkelebey is a 'committed, persuasive negotiator with great leadership skills and strategical way of thinking'. The firm's dispute resolution and business protection practice is recommended for commercial and administrative disputes, including cases against the State Fiscal Service and the State Emergency Service, as well as civil matters such as the declaration of property rights.
‘The firm takes real care of the cases they take on. They are very diligent in details, very thoughtful to the case background, practically thinking and innovating in finding solutions. Very methodical approach on case strategy preparation.’
‘Oleksandr Shkelebey is a highly experienced lawyer. He always goes deep into the problem and takes a comprehensive strategy on the case, which finally converts into success.’
‘The key capability of ESQUIRES’ attorneys is the ability to manage complex matters at a high level, and to provide excellent client support. The team gives practical advice and understands the possible course of events. The whole team is highly trustworthy, client-oriented and attentive to details.’
‘Head of practice Oleksandr Shkelebey has exceptional competency and knowledge of the relevant law and how to apply it to achieve the necessary result. Oleksandr is a committed, persuasive negotiator with great leadership skills and strategical way of thinking.’
‘The team performs high-standard services. Client-oriented, accurate and proficient lawyers always give well-reasoned legal support and find the most beneficial advice. The confidential policy and responsiveness are at a high level. ’
‘Leading partner Oleksandr Shkelebey gained great credibility due to his deep knowledge and understanding of the client.’
Skytrans LLC (Ukraine)
Translogist Sistem LLC (Moldova)
Limagrain Ukraine LLC
- Acting for Limagrain Ukraine LLC in a dispute arising from imperfect legislative regulation of the issue of registration of tax invoices for value-added tax. The decision in this case will facilitate the establishment of the rule of law in matters of registration of tax invoices.
- Represented “Keralit” LLC as a creditor with monetary claims in the amount of $311,000 relating to bankruptcy cases.
- Represented “Arctica” LLC in a dispute over the recognition of a purchase and sale agreement of 9 apartments (valued at more than $1.5m), located in the city of Kiev, concluded by a former manager with a legal entity.
EVERLEGAL's clients highlight the firm's 'attention to details, focus on the main issues and excellent risk assessment skills'. The firm is primarily focused on banking, tax and corporate matters, as well as commercial and employment disputes. It also has an active debt collection practice that acts for the likes of UkrsotsBank, Alfa-Bank and Ukrsibbank. Andriy Porayko is the lead partner. Senior associate Oleksandr Pashynin is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The EVERLEGAL team is incredibly responsive. They always provide flexible and unique advice or service we need, which often exceed our expectations. Their legal expertise is based on a combination of legal acumen with advanced technology and management skills. Moreover, they can also provide billing flexibility and alignment of financial interests based on our needs of each project. We consider that in-house lawyers should know about EVERLEGAL practitioners’ main strengths: attention to details, a focus on the main issues and excellent risk assessment skills.’
‘The key difference from competitors is the firm’s approach to any kind of service, such as the ability to work to extremely tough time limits, deep analysis of the cases, and clear understanding of the challenges that have occurred. The leading practitioners involved in our matters – Andriy Porayko and senior associate Oleksandr Pashynin. Andriy and Oleksandr are very highly experienced practitioners in dispute resolution, which get the root of the matter. Their legal instruments are unconventional and very impactful.’
The National Bank of Ukraine
UkrSibbank (BNP Paribas Group)
A group of the depositors of Eurogasbank
Investment Company Concorde Capital
Resilient a.s. (Czech agricultural holding)
Agromino (Danish agroholding)
Thirdwave Ukraine, Kivshovata-Agro
Farmak (the largest pharmaceutical company in Ukraine)
Lyuvada (Mining of iron and ore)
First Ukrainian Expert Center (leading housing and utility service in Kyiv)
Sports complex “Energym”
Louis Dreyfus Company Ukraine (a Ukrainian subsidiary of a global commodities’ trader)
Onur Air (Turkish airlines)
- Acted for Onur Air (Turkish airlines) in a dispute over the recovery of losses incurred to the client by a Ukrainian company which failed to fulfil its contractual obligations to pay for delivered aircraft.
- Acted for OTP BANK (Hungarian bank) in a dispute over the cancellation of a tax notification decision of the Large Taxpayers Office of the State Tax Service, which imposed a fine in the amount of $330,000 for the violation of tax legislation concerning VAT statements and additional $330,000 in case of non-registration of the respective VAT statements.
- Representing Agromino in complex dispute (over 350 court cases) over the restoration of lease rights on 800 hectares of land illegally taken from the client.
Attorneys’ Association Gestors
Attorneys’ Association Gestors acts for clients in corporate and financial services litigation, M&A-related disputes and contentious matters related to insolvency and commercial contracts. It is also active in international arbitration proceedings both in Ukraine and abroad. The practice is jointly led by managing partner Andriy Tsvyetkov, Vitalii Makhinchuk and Yevgen Zarudnyev. The firm successfully represented Skvyrskyi grain processing factory in a debt collection case in Kazakhstan.
Andriy Tsvyetkov; Vitalii Makhinchuk; Yevgen Zarudnyev
PJSC “SJSC “Chernomornaftogaz”
“Skvyrskyi grain processing factory” Ltd
- Successful representation of PJSC of Gas Supplying and Gasification “Donetskoblgaz” in court proceedings against Mayor of Kramatorsk of Donetsk region. The Mayor appealed against the order of PJSC “Donetskoblgaz” and demanded from PJSC “Donetskoblgaz” to carry out the recalculation of current debt for natural gas consumed by the population of Donetsk region in the amount approximately UAH80m.
- Acted as legal adviser to Public Joint-Stock Company “State Joint-Stock Company “Chernomornaftogaz” on controversial issues of return of “Titan-2” crane vessel to its owner.
- Successful representation of “Skvyrskyi grain processing factory” Ltd in Pavlodar District Specialized Economic Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan regarding collection of debt and penalties from the clients’ counterparty of the sale and purchase agreement.
GOLAW has a multifaceted litigation practice that is known for tax and bankruptcy disputes, contentious contractual matters and debt collection. Valentyn Gvozdiy, who is vice president of the Ukrainian National Bar Association, is recognised for his complex commercial litigation and white-collar crime cases. He co-heads the practice with Kateryna Manoylenko, who specialises in civil, commercial and administrative disputes. They recently represented Export Guarantee and Insurance Corporation in an €18m bankruptcy case.
Valentyn Gvozdiy; Kateryna Manoylenko
Export Guarantee and Insurance Corporation (EGAP)
Inditex Group (Ukraine)
- Represented Export Guarantee and Insurance Corporation (EGAP) in a bankruptcy case. The total project value – €18m.
- Representation of the interests of the ex-rector of Bogomolets National Medical University in several court disputes regarding illegal dismissal.
- Representation of the interests of the judges in several lawsuits to appeal decisions of the High qualification commission of judges in Ukraine.
GORO legal focuses mainly on construction and development disputes, frequently acting for developers in disputes with government authorities. It is also active in debt restructurings, debt recovery and insolvency matters. Oleksandr Goroshynskyi is a leading advocate in complex public cases connected with Euromaydan and the demonstrations in Kiev in 2013-2014. He jointly leads the practice with Dmytro Ovsiy, whose practice covers corporate disputes, debt recovery and debt collection, as well as contentious real estate matters.
Oleksandr Goroshynskyi; Dmytro Ovsiy
TERRA and Production and Technical Agency LLC
City Gold LLC
Credit Union Volodar
Smart Group LLC
Premium Universal LP
KPD Consulting Law Firm
KPD Consulting Law Firm is 'a high-quality law firm that specialises in protecting the interests of creditors'. The firm frequently acts for leading international and Ukrainian banks, lessors and other financial companies. Igor Kalitventsev has 'assembled a team of excellent attorneys and lawyers who perfectly handled our court cases'. Yevhen Litvinov specialises in commercial, civil and administrative disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘KPD Consulting is a high-quality law firm. The firm specialises in protecting the interests of creditors for a long time. KPD Consulting handles court cases in the courts on debt collection, foreclosure on the pledge subject, disputes regarding notary writ of execution, bankruptcy procedures and more.’
‘Key communication is conducted through Igor Kalitventsev, the managing partner. He has assembled a team of excellent attorneys and lawyers who perfectly handled our court cases. We solve strategic and tactical issues with Yevhen Litvinov. I feel his personal attention and interest in each case, as well as control over the situation. His team showed exceptional experience and expertise in our lawsuits. In addition, KPD Consulting regularly hold events on changes in legislation on litigation and bankruptcy, where we can exchange experiences and discuss further options for work.’
ING Bank Ukraine JSC
Inter RAO Group
Porsche Mobility LLC
Porsche Leasing Ukraine LLC
Steiner Ukraine LLC
Complex Libidskiy JSC
Ukraine Industrial Project LLC
- Represented Inter RAO Group in a dispute with another energy company. Representing the interests of Inter RAO in Ukrainian courts in the recognition and enforcement of decision of international commercial arbitration in Ukraine.
KPMG Law in Ukraine
KPMG Law in Ukraine may be best known for its work on contentious tax matters, but its litigation practice has a much broader focus. The firm was recently engaged by the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine to review the law related to the alleged breach of Energy Charter obligations and the recovery of damages of circa $5.5bn. Sergey Popov works with Yuriy Katser and Larysa Antoshchuk.
Sergey Popov; Yuriy Katser; Larysa Antoshchuk
‘I have worked with Yuriy Katser and his team as an expert in a very large and complex international arbitration. Yuriy testified on various matters of Ukraine corporate and commercial law. The team was incredibly well prepared and effective. They came up with a number of very useful arguments which they were able to explain and deploy very effectively.’
‘I think Yuriy Katser is an excellent expert on Ukrainian corporate and commercial law. He is always well-prepared, has terrific judgment in developing arguments and withstands cross-examination like a rock.’
‘We have retained Yuriy Katser as an expert in Ukrainian corporate law to prepare a legal opinion and present it at the hearing in a large arbitration case. Yuriy worked closely with his team to prepare the report. Everything was done on time, even though there was a time pressure to submit the report together with a pleading in a case.’
‘Yuriy Katser proved to be an outstanding expert. He was helpful throughout the entire proceedings and was willing to discuss with the counsel team not only the issues he addressed in his expert report, but also any additional Ukrainian law points. At the hearing, Yuriy was excellent and did very well at cross-examination. We would definitely recommend Yuriy both for his expert work and general corporate work in Ukraine.’
Ministry of Justice of Ukraine
Bank “Kyivska Rus”JSC
Buhler Service LLC
Herbovital 2 S.R.L.
China National Complete Engineering Corporation Ukraine (CCEC Ukraine)
CTPark Lviv LLC, a leading developer of industrial parks
“Air Products Ukraine” LLC
“Ferrexpo Poltava Mining” PJSC
Representative Office of UCB Pharma GmbH
- Representing Bank “Kyivska Rus”JSC, which is administered by the Deposit Guarantee Fund of Ukraine, and which is being liquidated, before the Ukrainian courts with regard to litigation proceedings on the confirmation of the legality of its liquidation.
- Engaged by Ministry of Justice of Ukraine in order to prepare an expert report on matters of Ukrainian corporate law related to the alleged breach of Energy Charter obligations and the recovery of damages of circa $5.5bn.
Lamwell was established in early 2020 by Andriy Shulga, who was previously a partner at ARBITRADE. The firm has 'an incredibly versatile dispute resolution practice that can deal with all types of dispute from domestic litigation to international arbitration and ECHR proceedings'. It successfully represented Bunge in an arbitration concerning the supply of commodities. Counsel Anastasiya Grenyuk, who joined the firm with Shulga, is highly recommended.
Legal Alliance Company
Legal Alliance Company 'demonstrates both a high degree of skill and ethical standards, and focuses on resolving disputes quickly and effectively'. The firm focuses on disputes in the pharmaceuticals and life sciences sectors, handling criminal, civil, commercial, administrative and employment cases. Practice heads Illya Kostin and Vitalii Savchuk provide 'deep analysis of legislation and court practice'. They recently handled a complex case concerning the collection of loans concluded in Crimea before the occupation.
Illya Kostin; Vitalii Savchuk
‘Through understanding the legal landscape and the specifics of a matter the team advises on the method most appropriate to achieving objectives. Attorneys of Legal Alliance demonstrate both a high degree of skill and ethical standards, and focus on resolving disputes quickly and effectively.’
‘Illya Kostin presents clients’ interests in ways that foster the resolution of problems and works from facts and a strong knowledge base. He identifies resources and potential solutions that are practical and effective.’
‘The strong dispute resolution team has successfully supported the company in settlement for large damages and provided consistent direction on the case. The team nurtured a performance-based approach and provided effective representation resolving the dispute in favour of the company.’
‘Illya Kostin, as a partner and our key contact person at Legal Alliance, and the company’s professional team show dedication in completing the work that must be done and goes the extra mile to ensure the goal is met. The team, enhanced by counsel Vitali Savchuk, maintains composure in highly stressful situations and remains committed to helping long after initial solutions have been applied.’
‘We get deep analysis of the legislation and court practice from Iliya Kostin and Vitalii Savchuk.’
EU Pharmacia Sp. z. o. o.
Boris Medical Clinic
Jadran Galenski laboratorij d.d.
Swen Ingemar Hedestam
Eureca Medical Foundation LLC
State Enterprise “USIE IZOTOP”
Unify Tracking LLC
Movi Health GmbH
BELUPO Lijekovi i kozmetika, d.d.
- Successfully represented the interests of a national pharmaceutical company in the cross-border case on cancellation of the competitor’s trade mark.
- Successfully defended a private client’s interests in all court instances against the bank on collecting the amount of the deposit and its percentages totalling over $1.5m. The main complexity was that the deposit agreements were concluded in the territory of Crimea before the occupation.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in Ukraine in a tax lawsuit to cancel fines in a value of at least $420,000.
Oleksandr Peremezhko & Partners handles a broad range of commercial, tax, IP, civil and family disputes. Some of its most significant recent cases have focused on construction, real estate and land issues. An example is its work for Building Company "Knyazhichi" LLC in a bid to protect ownership of real estate and lands located in the Boryspil district of Kiev. Oleksandr Peremezhko and Evgeniy Usik are the key names to note.
Oleksandr Peremezhko; Evgeniy Usik
Bershka Ukraine LLC
Oysho Ukraine LLC
Arricano Real Estate LLC
Novus Ukraine LLC
Trade House “KAMAZ” LLC
Intellectual Systems LLC
Bridge Mastic Asphalt Engineering LLC
National Dovzhenko Film Studio
Kinovyrobnychyi Komplex LLC
IPR Group, Patent And Trademark Attorneys Bureau
SVIT Agrotechnologiy LLC
Profi Lab LLC
Company Inex Ukr Parket
Le Doyen LLC
Sharp Electronics Ukraine LLC
Kaiser Partner Trust Services Anstalt
Carlton Trading Ukraine LLC
Carlton Trading Ltd.
Myslyvske Gospodarstvo “KYIVSKE” LLC
Rybalskiy Club “ROMANIVSKIY” LLC
Ukrainian Film Distribution
BILDEX Ukraine LLC
Tital Company, Ltd
Lego Ukraine LLC
- Acting as a legal counsel to Building Company “Knyazhichi” LLC in a case concerning the protection of ownership to the real estate and lands located in the Boryspil district of Kyiv region.
- Filed 7 writs of execution on behalf of Carlton Trading Ukraine LLC and Carlton Trading Ltd. Hotel “Kozatskiy”, the state enterprise of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, made numerous attempts to stop the enforcement proceedings, inter alia, by filing a number of lawsuits and complaints against the actions of state enforcement officers.
- Acting as legal counsel to Detali-Service LLC in negotiations with one of the largest supermarket chains “Varus” about reconstructions of non-residential premises with total area over 2,400.00 square meters.
At VB PARTNERS, the dispute resolution team has 'tough and resourceful litigators’. The firm focuses on debt collection, banking, tax and customs, regulatory and shareholder disputes. The firm is currently representing a foreign investor in the dispute with the State of Ukraine regarding the payment of fair compensation for assets that have been privatised by the state. Vladimir Vashchenko, Denys Bugay and 'hardworking and diligent' counsel Denys Shkarovsky are the firm's most prominent practitioners.
Vladimir Vashchenko; Denys Bugay
Other key lawyers:
‘Denys Shkarovsky – I appreciate the high level of his skills to quickly respond to force majeure circumstances and make the right decisions in critical situations.’
‘Vladimir Vashchenko is a class practitioner. He represents our interests in court at the highest level. Vladimir Vashchenko is always available for clients. He has deep industry knowledge.’
‘Denys Shkarovsky thinks outside the box. He is very analytical in his job. Overall, it is a pleasure to work with him. High-quality feedback is always accompanied by valuable comments on the work done, as well as a list of next steps and up-to-date recommendations for preventing perceived risks.’
‘A strong boutique firm for white-collar crime and dispute resolution. They are very experienced but small enough to provide a real sense of involvement and client care, which is often lost in a larger firm.’
‘Denys Shkarovsky provides a unique combination of the highest quality case preparation.’
‘Denys Bugay is one of the very best. Deep expertise in white-collar crime matters and large-scale disputes. Efficient preparation of procedural documents.’
‘Vladimir Vashchenko provides excellent client service and is fully devoted to the work’
‘Denys Shkarovsky is very active, professional and prompt, and he is a really great strategist.’
KIT Yekaterinburg, shopping mall that belongs to Mallino Development Group
Nykolaevsky Alumina Plant
Glukhov Quartzite Quarr
Continental Farmers Group
Shareholders of Premium Commercial Bank PJSC
Delta Bank Ukraine
Delta Bank Belarus
Commercial Bank “Khreschatyk” PJSC
Industrial group VIOIL
Avellana Gold Company
- Representing the interests of a foreign investor (European Union) in the Supreme Court in a lawsuit to appeal against the sanctions application by the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine.
- Representing a foreign investor in a dispute with the State of Ukraine regarding the payment of fair compensation for assets that have been privatised by Ukraine. The amount of the claims is $834m.
Wolf Theiss has a small litigation group but it handles high-value cases for international companies with interests in Ukraine. The firm is acting for manufacturing company ThyssenKrupp in numerous disputes, including a $4m claim concerning default on payment for steel production. Practice head Taras Dumych handles both litigation and arbitration, and he is supported by Sergii Zheka and associate Olena Kravtsova.
Other key lawyers:
Sergii Zheka; Olena Kravtsova
- Representing ThyssenKrupp, an international company manufacturing and trading in various industrial machines and other products of the technical business sector, in a dispute against a local customer who defaulted on payment for the supplied thread-rolling machines.
- Representing ThyssenKrupp in a dispute against a local customer who defaulted on payment for the supplied steel production.
- Advising RMD Group and a Canadian investor in Ukraine in connection with fraud committed against him by his Ukrainian partners.
Andriy Kravets & Partners
At Andriy Kravets & Partners, dispute resolution is a core area of focus and it handles a large volume of domestic litigation, as well as representing clients in cross-border matters. It acts for clients in the International Court of Commercial Arbitration at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Ukraine, as well as in other international arbitration institutions, such as ICC and the Stockholm Arbitration Institute. Andriy Kravets and Vladyslav Lyaskovskiy are the lead partners.
Andriy Kravets; Vladyslav Lyaskovskiy
Arrata Invest Company
- Advised and represented Ukrainski Kovbasy in its UAH1.2m dispute against Ukrainian tax authorities.
- Advised and represented Arrata Invest Company in its court dispute regarding the title to real estate.
- Advised and represented private individual in the court dispute on a corporate matter.
Ante Law Firm
Ante Law Firm has a specialist focus on the aviation, pharmaceuticals and medical devices industries. It has recently won cases for high-profile clients, such as Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine and Lufthansa Group. Practice head Andriy Guck is 'experienced and highly professional in litigation procedures of Ukrainian courts' and clients praise his 'exceptional engagement and a level of communication and support that is beyond expectations'.
‘Partner Andriy Guck is experienced and highly professional in litigation procedures of Ukrainian courts; his level of engagement to the matters of the client is exceptional and he ensures the level of communication and support above the level of expectation.’
Beko Ukraine LLC
Aeroclub LLC (flydubai agent in Ukraine)
Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C.
British Airways PLC
DFU Agro LLC
Air France – KLM
Mr. Zurab Alasania, the Head of the National Public Broadcasting Company of Ukraine
- Successfully defended Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine at the appeal stage in a court case regarding not existing €1.6m debt and won a case on damages from the state of Ukraine connected with this case.
- Defended a big agricultural company in a series of cases concerning an attack on a harvest for $300,000 that was illegally blocked by local competitors.
- Acted for Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C. (Representative Office in Ukraine) in a precedent-setting case against the State Aviation Service of Ukraine, where it was proved in court that Ukrainian rules of air carriage are not applicable to foreign carriers due to the specifics of bilateral air service agreement between the states.
Antika Law Firm
Antika Law Firm provides 'individual and non-standard approaches for dispute resolution'. Partners Alexey Kot, Andrey Kuznetsov, Maxim Korchagin and counsel Alexandra Fedorenko together make an 'efficient, practical and client-focused team'. The firm has a broad litigation practice, but it is particularly noted for its role in disputes in oil and gas extraction industry. The firm acted for Usenco Nadra in a case challenging the non-issuance of a permit for subsoil use.
Alexey Kot; Andrey Kuznetsov
Other key lawyers:
Maxim Korchagin; Alexandra Fedorenko
‘The firm provides individual and non-standard approaches for dispute resolution. I would like to emphasize the partners: Andrey Kuznetsov, Maxim Korchagin, Alexey Kot, and counsel Mrs. Alexandra Fedorenko as the persons with an exceptional background in the dispute resolution sphere. ’
‘I think that Antika has an efficient, practical and client-focused team.’
‘Alexey Kot and Maxim Korchagin have notable expertise in Ukrainian law and local regulatory matters. We can recommend them as excellent legal advisors who deliver a lot of value to the client.’
Aliance Holding, LLC (Ukrainian subsidiary of Shell Group)
USENCO NADRA, LLC (Ukrainian subsidiary of Cadogan Group)
Pinsent Masons, LLP
Henkel Bautechnik (Ukraine)
NASOSENERGOMASH Pump & Power Engineering Works Sumy PJC
AWT Bavaria LLC
AWT Bavaria-Kyiv LLC
AWT Bavaria Ukraine LLC
Insurance Company Persha PJSC
Public organization “Kupol”
DC Ukraine LLC
ALLIANCE HOLDING LLC
Zoo 12 Months LLC
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sulliva n UK LLP (represent the State of Ukraine in the dispute)
Shell Brands International AG
- Acted for Usenco Nadra on a project challenging the unlawful inactivity of State Service of Geology and Mineral Resources of Ukraine in the form of non-issuance to the client the requested special permit for subsoil use and obligation the latter to grant the aforesaid special permit.
- Advised Aliance Holding, LLC (Ukrainian subsidiary of Shell Group) on a project challenging the decision of Regional Ecology inspection to rectify formal irregularities on documents confirming the quality of petroleum products were offered for sale to the consumers in the client’s fuel station.
Ario Law Firm
Ario Law Firm is known for its work in high-profile debt recovery matters, notably for industrial manufacturers, banks, agricultural companies and clients in the IT sector. The practice, which is jointly led by Julian Khorunzhyi and Andriy Fylyk, acts for both borrowers and lenders, often representing their interests in matters of bankruptcy, pre-judicial recovery, restructuring and liquidation. Oleksii Voronko has 'deep knowledge of legislation and is great at strategic thinking'.
Julian Khorunzhyi; Andriy Fylyk
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong communicative skills, creative ideas, deep knowledge, and expertise, deep connection with a client.’
‘Flexible and creative. They have a really great experience and deep knowledge in their area. Managing partner Oleksii Voronko has great communicative skills. He is also the idea generator. Partner Andriy Fylyk has deep expertise, the great practice of representing clients in court. He is very responsible.’
‘They have lateral thinking and perfect oratorical skills. We have a long term collaboration and during this time the team of this company has demonstrated incredible professionalism.’
‘Oleksii Voronko, managing partner has great experience in such cases. All of the team have deep knowledge of legislation and are great at strategic thinking. And they are very responsible.’
Political Party Samopomich
Lybid Hotel Complex
Mr. Yuriy Andreyev and Mr. Bohdan Andreyev
State Enterprise Pishchanskiy quarry
- Representing the owners of Hotel Complex Lybid in corporate dispute in connection with raider attack.
- Representing WOG in dispute with DF Group companies over the collection of unreasonable debts.
- Representing Concord Bank in dispute over bank guarantees.
Bargen Law Firm
Bargen Law Firm's work has seen it handle significant disputes in key sectors such as energy and agriculture. The firm is a litigation boutique focused on the needs of mid-sized businesses in administrative cases, debt and asset recovery, and general commercial disputes. Andrii Hevko, Sviatoslav Bartosh and Dmytro Nykyforov lead the team, which is 'easy to communicate with, available at any time, and always flexible when discussing options'.
Business Partners Group attracts praise from clients for 'the attention, experience, and sophistication of the whole dedicated team'. It focuses purely on disputes involving the state, state agencies and state-owned enterprises. Lead partners Tatyana Proskurnya and Svitlana Skosar provide 'seamless coverage, flawless execution and exceptional service'. They recently represented the first state-licensed miner of amber in Ukraine in a dispute with the government.
ECOVIS Bondar & Bondar Law Bureau
ECOVIS Bondar & Bondar Law Bureau is primarily focused on Ukraine's aviation sector, which was the source of many disputes in 2020. Lead partner Oleg Bondar frequently acts for aviation companies, handling operators, airports and industry regulators in both contentious and corporate matters. He represented Ukraine International Airlines in disputes with the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and Aviation Service of Ukraine over the illegal recovery of state aviation charges.
Ukraine International Airlines
- Represented Ukraine International Airlines in a number of long-lasting disputes with the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and Aviation Service of Ukraine in connection with illegal recovery of state aviation charges.
Gramatskiy&Partners handles numerous cases against banks and financial institutions, tax authorities, as well as land, labour, credit and mortgage disputes, and debt recovery. The firm recently City Capital Group (Garden Bay Resort LLC) in a dispute over legal ownership of Garden Bay Resort, a land plot of 30 hectares on the shore of the Dnipro River, following a claim by the Prosecutor’s Office of Kiev Region that it should return to state ownership. Andriy Trembich and Oleksandr Koval are the main partners.
Andriy Trembich; Oleksandr Koval
IT Enterprise LLC
ULMA OPALUBKA UKRAINE, LLC
Seven Hills Group
City Capital Group
MGT Black Sea LLC
NVP Ukrpolistirol LLC
Mrs Olga Kubalova
- Represented City Capital Group (Garden Bay Resort LLC) in litigation over the return of a land plot to state possession. Case value $30m.
- Represented Ditrans LLC in litigation over the return of a land plot to state possession. Case value – $1.9m.
- Represented Seven Hills Group (PE Vector) in its dispute against the State Service of Ukraine for Geodesy and Cartography, the Boryspil RSA and individuals over the restoration of lease rights of land plot. Case value – $1.2m.
ILF Law Firm
ILF Law Firm's litigation department focuses on debt recovery and protecting the assets of its clients; the scope of its work includes cases concerning real estate, corporate rights and business reputation. The firm also has a strong track record in cases before the European Court of Human Rights. In recent years, it has also developed significant expertise in shareholders disputes. Olexiy Kharytonov in Kharkiv leads the practice.
‘The firm has a good understanding of Ukrainian judicial system.’
Nuctech Company Limited
Tourist and Health Center New World
MUNICIPAL COMPANY “KHARKIVODODOKANAL”
VOLYN REGION ALLIANCE OF CONSUMER SOCIETIES
Limited Liability Company “DIADEM BUTTERFLY”
Evangelical Lutheran religious community of Kharkov
- Represented in court the interests of one of excluded communities – the Evangelical-Lutheran religious community “St. Catherine” in Kharkiv in the case of invalidating the decisions of the Synod that violate their rights to participate in the management of the activities of the German Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Ukraine.
- Represented Turinsky Victor in court litigation against the owner of Galpodshipnik company over the protection of honour, dignity and business reputation. The client made a decision to initiate a legal dispute since no one voluntarily deleted the inaccurate and negative information.
- Represented Alexander Sviridov in a claim to establish the fact of the dissemination of false information. The reason for the litigation was the publication on the Internet of negative information about the client’s involvement in terrorist financing. This information appeared on the Internet a day before the appointment of Alexander Sviridov to the post of head of the company “Kharkovoblenergo”.
KM Partners' team includes Alexander Minin, Maxim Oleksiyuk, Alexander Shemiatkin and Ivan Shynkarenko, who are well-known for contentious tax matters. In addition, they are also increasingly involved in disputes related to supply, lease and service relations, as well as real estate and corporate issues.
Law Firm Legal Guarantees
At Law Firm Legal Guarantees, many members of the dispute resolution practice have in-house experience with state bodies such as the State Fiscal Service, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine. The firm specialises in protecting the interests of business entities from government actions. Oleksii Kominarets acted for OTP Bank in a dispute with a major producer and exporter of dairy products over a $35m debt.
- Advised OTP Bank on the issue of applying an alternative strategy for debt collection from a group of commercial companies.
- Represented a foreign investor in a case concerning the protection of the property rights.
LEGRANT LAW COMPANY in Odessa handles disputes related to maritime law and international trade, including international arbitration under GAFTA and FOSFA rules. 'Outstanding legal adviser' Tatyana Titarenko heads up the practice, which is 'highly experienced in protecting clients from the anti-competitive actions of state-controlled bodies'. The firm recently obtained a world freezing order for a large grain trader. Associate Liudmila Sizonenko has 'outstanding experience and strong legal knowledge'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Tatyana Titarenko is one of the most outstanding legal advisers we have ever worked with. Her legal and managing skills let us to find the required solution for every issue arising out of our activity.’
‘We draw the special attention on the excellent knowledge level and deep legal expertise of Liudmila Sizonenko. She knows every peculiarity of disputes in the antitrust sphere and could handle even the most comprehensive cases related to the relevant issues.’
‘The case was successfully considered due to the thorough expertise of Liudmila Sizonenko. Due to the outstanding experience of disputes against state bodies and enterprises, she was able to collect the required arguments and prove the groundless of the state enterprise’s position.’
‘We want to mark the professional level of Liudmila Sizonenko and Tatyana Titarenko separately. They managed all our requests and have always offered the most suitable and reliable way to protect our interests and obtained the required results.’
‘Our company is provided with the qualified legal services by the Legrant Law Company. Its lawyers have sufficient level of competence to support our activity related to the maritime sphere, in particular, port and terminals exploitation.’
‘We have been in close business relations with the Legrant law company during the last few years. Due to the high level of professional legal skills, lawyers are able both to represent our interests in the court proceedings and provide us with the complex legal consultation. Legrant expertise covers the port and terminals, dispute resolution in national and international courts and arbitrations, tax and business protection.’
‘We would like to highlight the advanced managing skills of Tatyana Titarenko, managing partner of the Legrant law company. Her professional attitude to the working process let us to be fully confident in the fruitful results of our cooperation. At the same time, the deep expertise and advanced working experience of Liudmila Sizonenko should be noted too. During our cooperation she has shown the ability to prepare strong legal position even in the most difficult cases.’
‘Our company has applied to Legrant law company for the legal support and obtained a complex and deep expertise made by the high qualified lawyers, specialised in the international trade, port infrastructure, tax and business protection. Legrant’s lawyers can offer a successful solution for the issues related to the aforementioned spheres of business activity. At the same time, they are highly experienced in protecting clients from the anti-competitive actions of state-controlled bodies.’
‘Legrant law company is a team of experienced lawyers with strong knowledge in the port and terminal, business protection and international trade. Its specialists also could successfully support activity connected with stevedoring operations and port agency.’
Black Sea Commodities
Smart Trade Overseas SA
- Advised large international grain trader on obtaining WFO (World freezing order) to ensure the possibility of damages reimbursement from the contractor.
- Advised a trading company on protection and confirmation of the disputed ownership over a large amount of wheat.
- Gained the amicable settlement of the dispute between international grain trader and its contractor concerning non-execution of the payment terms more than $3m.
Marushko Law Office is 'a great firm in the market', according to one of its clients. Led by Iryna Marushko, the team focuses on high-value debt collection, investment arbitration cases against foreign states and financial institutions, and cross-border lending matters. The firm frequently acts for major banks, as well as other creditors.
‘It is a great firm in the market and Iryna Marushko stands out from the team.’
JSC CB “Privatbank”
Private Joint-Stock Company “Colliery Group “Pokrovske”
Donetsksteel Iron and Steel Works PJSC
JSC “State Food and Grain Corporation of Ukraine”
Pavlenko Legal Group
Pavlenko Legal Group has an eight-lawyer practice that handles a wide range of business protection cases, including matters arising from government relations, corporate transactions and competition law. The firm is currently handling a $100m economic dispute between PJSC Mironovsky Plant for the Production of Groats and Combined Feed and a counterparty. Vitaliy Burdak and Oleksandra Pavlenko are the lead partners.
Vitaliy Burdak; Oleksandra Pavlenko
‘This company is one of the best in court disputes with the tax office. They always give us the expected result.’
Asset Management Company and Pension Funds Administration
Niko Finance LLC
LLC Financial Company «Central Capital
PJSC Myronivsky Plant of Greets and Feed Stuff
Uni Cert LLC
Rodina Energy Group LLC
- Acted for PJSC Myronivsky Plant of Greets and Feed Stuff in an economic dispute and a counterparty over the recognition of a transaction to be invalid.
- Acted for FC Sokur LLC in an administrative dispute concerning the recognition of illegal actions of the state executor on the seizure of shares of PJSC “Ukrtelecom”, owned by LLC “ESU”.
- Acted for PJSC “OTP Bank” in an administrative dispute with the tax authorities over the refund of overpaid tax.
PwC Legal is best known for tax disputes but has expanded its workload to cover a broader range of contentious commercial litigation and arbitration. Based mainly in Kiev, the practice is also active in the Lviv office. Partner Dmytro Donets leads the dispute resolution practice, while counsel Zhanna Brazhnyk leads on tax disputes. Donets represented a private farmer in a lawsuit where he sought to protect his property rights under an existing moratorium on the sale of agricultural land.
Dmytro Donets; Zhanna Brazhnyk
‘I would like to note Dmytro Donets as one of the most prominent litigators in Ukraine, combining legal knowledge, experience and the essence of dispute assistance with state bodies. Zhanna Brazhnyk is also a lawyer of confidence who knows how to deal with complicated cases. Overall, the PWC team is an example of how to deal with complicated cases in a simple way for clients. Legal, economic and tax competence are combined, which is a rare case for Ukraine.’
‘The PwC team is one of the most prominent teams. The competence and client care are among the best in the market. Truly enjoyable.’
Council of Europe
Joint-stock Bank “PRAVEXBANK”
TYCO Electronics Ukraine Limited
UKRAINIAN ELEVATOR COMPANY (part of Louis Dreyfus Group)
Anvitrade (a part of Wexler Group)
Aptiv Technology Services & Solutions
British American Tobacco
- Represented a Ukrainian landowner in a lawsuit where he sought to protect his property rights had been breached as a result of the existing “moratorium on sale of agricultural land” in Ukraine.
- Advising Chemonics on structural reform of the State Customs Service in cooperation with USAID.
- Advising Council of Europe on a review of the structure and working process of the Prosecutor General’s Office to align it to the best international standards.
Selepey, Volkovetsky & Partners
Selepey, Volkovetsky & Partners is 'a very experienced law firm in complicated litigation matters'; 'they study all the details of the project carefully and react to all challenging circumstances rapidly'. The firm specialises in the revitalisation of legally distressed assets, which frequently involves complex litigation. Lead partners Andriy Selepey and Orest Dozhdzhaniuk are currently assisting renewable electricity producers with debt recovery matters.
Andriy Selepey; Orest Dozhdzhaniuk
Other key lawyers:
Bogdan Savchenko; Oleksandra Sierova; Yuriy Selepey
‘Bogdan Savchenko leads my case. He is highly competent, reliable, intelligent and pragmatic. He is always in control of all aspects of the project. He devotes enough time and attention to the client. Associate Oleksandra Sierova is a talented lawyer. She is smart, responsible and very pleasant to work with. Oleksandra has a high level of services and communication.’
‘I really like that the professionalism of SVP’s team is combined with the search for non-standard solutions. They are always full of good ideas. I’ve had the opportunity to communicate closely with the entire team of the company. I am impressed by their persistence, attention to the smallest details, as well as positivity and friendliness in communication.’
‘Senior Associate Yuriy Selepey is diligent, responsible and consistent in his approach to my matter. He is professional, pleasant and friendly in communication.’
‘I have discovered a lot of strengths of Selepey, Volkovetsky & Partners. The SVP team is highly professional and experienced. The lawyers of SVP are very client-oriented. They are always in touch if needed. They understand the peculiarities of my business, this firm is looking into the essence of facts and behaviour of market players. SVP dig deep into the industry and business peculiarities and help entrepreneurs to revitalise their business. What is more, they always take up really complicated cases and manage them as business projects. For example, my cases are quite involved. Selepey, Volkovetsky & Partners is a unique law firm that successfully deals with projects that are seemingly impossible to be realised. That impresses me most. And they are truly reliable partners.’
‘As my direct contact is Andriy Selepey, I know his individual strengths best of all. He has a holistic vision on projects, that’s why he personally elaborates legal strategies for cases. Andriy is very pro-innovation. He is always looking for fresh solutions, that are indeed impressive. Mr. Selepey is eager to deal with very challenging, complicated cases, enabling him to show his best.’
‘Orest Dozhdzhaniuk impressed me with always knowing every minor detail of the case. He is competent, well-organised and has big experience in solving issues like mine.’
‘We have been working with SVP for more than five years. They have extensive experience in dealing with bad debts. We are very pleased with the work of this company.’
‘While working with SVP, we saw that the company has a very unusual and effective approach to legal work. They are very deep in all the details of the project, create detailed legal strategies to achieve the client’s goals. This approach is very valuable for our company. SVP is a reliable partner who can be trusted with the most difficult cases.’
Majority shareholders of Idaliya LLC
Kryvyi Rih Mining Machinery Plant
Private investor, successor of PJSC Active Bank and National Bank of Ukraine
ART-Capital, investment and finance company, a shareholder of Ukrnafta
Spike Trade AG
Green Energy Invest
Pool of private creditors of Olga LLC and Tamira LLC
- Assisted ART Capital with protecting its rights for receiving dividends from their shareholding in “Ukrnafta” oil company in the Constitutional Court of Ukraine.
- Representing majority shareholders of Idaliya LLC in disputes over real estate property in Kharkiv value $10m.
- Protected the owner of a regional Oscar Retail Chain from collection and sale of its 80,000 square meters real estate object and restructured its $75m debt.
Skliarenko, Sydorenko and Partners
Skliarenko, Sydorenko and Partners' team is 'very focused on dispute resolution and has a profound understanding of corporate law, which makes it very well positioned to act on cases involving corporate raiding'. Oleksandr Skliarenko (who is 'a stellar lawyer for sophisticated litigation strategy'), Andriy Trygub and Andriy Sydorenko are the key practitioners. Their work encompasses commercial litigation, administrative disputes and criminal proceedings. Its recent highlights included representing a client in debt collection litigation concerning assets in the occupied territory of Crimea.
Oleksandr Skliarenko; Andriy Trygub
Other key lawyers:
‘Skliarenko, Sydorenko and Partners has a very strong dispute resolution team. The firm is very focused on dispute resolution and has a profound understanding of corporate law. This makes them very well positioned to act on cases involving corporate raiding.’
‘Most importantly, Skliarenko, Sydorenko and Partners develop strategies that are 100% compliant with the local and international anti-corruption and anti-bribery laws.’
‘Oleksandr Skliarenko is a stellar lawyer for sophisticated corporate law matters and litigation strategy. Andriy Trigub and Andriy Sydorenko were also actively involved in the matter. The procedural documents produced by the firm are excellent. Their efficiency in the courtroom is also very high.’
‘We have worked with Skliarenko, Sydorenko and Partners for over five years. We are using the firm for corporate law and litigation advice on several high-end multimillion projects involving public sector authorities. The firm provides strategic vision and highly effective tactics to address sophisticated legal matters in a transparent and compliant way.’
‘Oleksandr Skliarenko leads the firm’s work. He excels in developing and evaluating litigation strategies and works out solutions that are not only right but also enforceable. He is very well informed about the legislative and policy insights, which helps lead the project in the right way.’
‘Its network of “best friends” law firms provides solid international outreach. Whenever our matter of interest is international, Skliarenko, Sydorenko and Partners would typically act as the lead counsel, managing and coordinating foreign law firms engaged.’
‘Oleksandr Skliarenko is our key point of reference for IP and litigation matters. He is very experienced and realistic when it comes to evaluating litigation prospects or dispute resolution strategies. He understands exactly what a win is in each individual case.’
‘It provides clear billing, availability of partners and experienced lawyers.’
Andriy Danylko (stage name – Verka Serdiuchka)
GRAWE UKRAINE Life Insurance, PrJSC
the beneficial owner of real estate and energy businesses in Ukraine
the importer of Versatile agricultural equipment
the First Deputy Chief of the State Enterprise “Information Court Systems”
- Representing “Goldman”, as the buyer, in a dispute with the National Anticorruption Bureau on the arrest of a $1.5m shareholding in a gas transit company.
- Representing the official of the State Enterprise “Information Court Systems” in a complex labour law dispute relating to illegal dismissal of a state official.
- Representing a large importer of agricultural vehicles in a dispute with the Ukrainian Customs Office relating to the origin of goods.
SLA Attorneys is predominantly a litigation firm that handles disputes in key sectors such as agriculture, automotive, banking and finance, energy, food and IT. The 'young and talented team' provides 'very fast and effective solutions'. Vadym Ivanov, Oleksii Volokhov and Roman Mykhailovskyi are the main partners handling domestic and international disputes.
Vadym Ivanov; Oleksii Volokhov; Roman Mykhailovskyi
‘It has a good dispute resolution practice. Vadym Ivanov provides well structured legal opinions.’
‘It has a young and talented team, known for objectivity and impartiality.’
‘It provides very fast and effective solutions.’
‘I really recommend Oleksii Volokhov as trusted and experienced advisor.’
‘The team demonstrates high professionalism, deep knowledge and understanding of the legislation, and an ability to treat your case with respect and care.’
‘First, they all are very nice and modern people. I have a very pleasant experience of working with Roman Mykhailovskyi. He is a very professional and dedicated attorney who values human rights and freedoms. He always suggests several options of a particular dispute resolution clearly explaining pros and cons of each so you can make a grounded decision.’
‘We have closely work with Roman Mykhailovskyi and Vadym Ivanov. Roman demonstrates professionalism and practice experience in his industry. He makes difficult thinks easier. As for Vadym, he is active and a decision-maker, which makes SLA different from competitors.’
‘I am glad to cooperate with the SLA Attorneys, since the services were provided in a short time and with very high quality, as well as in the middle segment of the pricing. The attorneys-at-law and the managing partner himself are constantly in touch.’
Sky Trade Ukraine
Transcargo Services Ltd
Strube Ukraine GmbH LLC
Real Estate Company
- Protected Corteva Argiscience group of companies against unscrupulous customers in debt collection cases.
- Advised and protected GalZhytloBud building company against illegal actions of public authorities.
- Advised and protected Sky Trade Ukraine company interests in CIS and EU market.