Fielding ‘competition law specialists with strong commercial understanding’, BOKWALL RISLUND is well known in the market for handling high-end competition matters for large multinational corporations. Its broad expertise includes handling antitrust litigation involving cartel, abuse of dominance and damages elements, and EU and international merger control work; clients include names in the manufacturing, food and beverage, technology, energy and telecoms sectors. Olle Rislund heads up the team with over 25 years’ experience, Amir Mohseni is a key practitioner with experience working for the Swedish Competition Authority, and Emil Fahlén Godö is a key name for transactional issues.
EU and competition in Sweden
Other key lawyers:
Emil Fahlén Godö; Amir Mohseni; Omar El Khatib
‘Outstanding practice – competition law specialists with strong commercial understanding.’
‘Olle Rislund is our go-to for all matters relating to competition law, and I consider him one of my key legal partners. He is attentive with a great business understanding and has a great capability to break down legal requirements to practical and useful advice.’
‘Amir Mohseni is second to none in Sweden.’
Procter & Gamble
Nordic Growth Market NGM
Robert Bosch/Bosch Rexroth
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
- Representing Nordic Growth Market NGM in relation to the Swedish Competition Authority’s abuse of dominance investigation of Nasdaq and the authority’s interim decision to prohibit Nasdaq from secondary listing of NGM listed shares.
- Represented investment company Mellby Gård in relation to the Swedish Competition Authority’s in-depth phase II merger investigation of GrandVision’s acquisition of Mellby Gård’s portfolio company Smarteyes.
- Representing Arla Foods against the Swedish Competition Authority in an ongoing case in the Patent and Market Court of Appeals in the first ever court case regarding a denied leniency application.
Mannheimer Swartling has ‘broad and in-depth experience, and outstanding legal skills’, and stands out in the market by providing cross-border support on EU and competition matters through its Brussels office, as well as leveraging additional international support through its New York and Singapore bases. Johan Carle leads the team and is a noteworthy name for high-profile merger control mandates and antitrust investigations. Fredrik Sjövall is a key contact for disputes and leads on competition litigation cases, while Stefan Perván Lindeborg splits his time between Brussels and Stockholm and focuses on merger control work, and Andreas Johansson is the key practitioner on the ground in Brussels.
Other key lawyers:
Stefan Perván Lindeborg; Fredrik Sjövall; Andreas Johansson
‘It’s easy to work with the team. Communication is clear, digital and professional.’
‘All of the team has a very clear and straightforward way of delivering quite complex matters.’
‘The MSA team have very good competence in competition practices, working with them is a pleasure. The engagement and teamwork together with the customer is unique.’
‘Broad and in-depth experience, outstanding legal skills.’
‘Fredrik Sjövall is really strong and has exceptional legal skills.’
‘Knowledgeable team with a broad knowledge of the issues.’
‘Hardworking, pragmatic, interested in our business.’
Scandinavian Airlines (SAS)
The Swedish Installation Federation
Total Produce Nordic
Söderberg & Partners
Accent Equity Partners
- Acting as lead counsel for Swedish Match, a global market leader in smoke-free tobacco products, in relation to Philip Morris’ public bid for an acquisition of $16bn.
- Representing LKAB before the General Court in its appeal of the EC’s decision on national implementation plans for emissions allowances.
- Representing Lantmännen during the EC investigation into suspected anti-competitive behaviour relating to ethanol pricing, including settlement negotiations, as well as related proceedings before the European Courts on disclosure of settlement negotiation documents.
The team at Advokatfirman Vinge is ‘knowledgeable, efficient and has great availability’; with a strong corporate practice, the firm handles the competition law aspects of large M&A deals with ease and also acts in competition litigation with cross-border support stemming from its Brussels office. The group is jointly led by Johan Karlsson, Anna Palmérus, Pär Remnelid, and the Brussels-based Martin Johansson. Karlsson is a notable name for compliance work and investigations and is active in the energy, infrastructure, telecoms and retail sectors, while Marcus Glader is a key name for transactional work and abuse of dominance matters. Helena Rosén Andersson joined as counsel from the Supreme Administrative Court.
Johan Karlsson; Anna Palmérus; Pär Remnelid; Martin Johansson
Other key lawyers:
Marcus Glader; Helena Rosén Andersson
‘The Vinge team is knowledgeable, efficient and has great availability.’
‘Marcus Glader always delivers high-quality advice and is very reliable in complex transactions.’
‘The team has extensive and deep knowledge about the legal regime, both in Sweden and internationally.’
‘They have a good understanding of our situation and provide useful and proactive advice.’
‘Partner Johan Karlsson is one of the most (probably the most) experienced lawyer within this field. He is very proactive and has a commercial mindset in his advisory role.’
‘Excellent knowledge of Swedish and EU competition law and process, agile and client minded.’
‘Marcus Glader is friendly, commercial and has deep insight into all fields of antitrust.’
‘Marcus Glader has the ability to swiftly understand the commercial area in scope, and give user friendly advice.’
HMD and Opera
- Represented private equity company EQT in connection with several acquisitions and investments worldwide.
- Represented HMD Global (a Finnish original equipment manufacturer and exclusive licensee of Nokia phones) and Opera (a Norwegian web browser developer), respectively, in proceedings before the General Court in Luxembourg, regarding the European Commission’s infringement decision against Google Android.
- Advised KKR’s portfolio company GeneraLife on its acquisition of Livio, a Swedish group of companies that provides assisted reproduction services at nine clinics in Sweden, Norway and Iceland.
Advokatfirman Cederquist KB acts for foreign and domestic clients on a broad range of competition mandates, including antitrust investigations, state aid issues, merger control work, abuse of dominance matters and competition litigation. Fredrik Lindblom heads up the practice and is well versed in M&A-related competition matters, with a focus on industrial and private equity clients. Elsa Arbrandt is a key name for litigation and arbitration proceedings with considerable experience in cross-border matters, and associate Sanna Widén is recommended for EU regulatory matters and large investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Elsa Arbrandt; Annika Blomqvist; Sanna Widén
‘Competent and available.’
‘Fredrik Lindblom has extensive experience of EU and competition law and is always up to date. He is great at providing advice on complex EU and competition law aspects.’
‘I was very impressed by Fredrik Lindblom who’s heading CQ’s competition practice group. Quick, diligent, proactive and also very strong on the business side. Fredrik is a keeper.’
‘The team understands its clients and not just the complex legal matters we sometimes face.’
‘Having spent time on a matter a long time ago, the partner recently proactively reached out to me as he understood that a recent change in the applicable legal framework would now allow us to conduct our business in a way we wanted to in the past, but were previously not able to.’
‘Fredrik Lindblom is our main point of contact and he has proved to be very responsive, proactive and knowledgeable within his area of expertise. The fact that he is also fun to work with is an added bonus!’
Stockholm Skavsta Airport
Apollo Global Management
- Advised Euroapotheca, a multinational pharmacy group, on the combination of its Swedish subsidiary Apoteksgruppen with its competitor Kronans Apotek to create Sweden’s third largest pharmacy chain.
- Advising Stockholm Skavsta Airport on submitting its complaint to the European Commission regarding the Swedish State’s multibillion aid to public airport operator Swedavia and to argue its merits in the ongoing investigation.
- Advising an FMCG supplier in relation to the Swedish Competition Authority’s lengthy investigation of alleged vertical restrictions in the supplier’s commercial terms and conditions.
Advokatfirman Delphi fields a team which is ‘very competent and also very helpful’ and advises on some of the top contentious matters in the market, including acting for Google against Pricerunner in an abuse of dominance case. The group also handles merger control issues, cartel probes, distribution matters and antitrust compliance programmes, among other areas. Practice head Elisabeth Eklund regularly coordinates multijurisdictional merger filings and represents clients before the competition authorities, while counsel Karin Roberts advises on a broad range of competition and regulatory matters, including dawn raids.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team feels coordinated and joined up. Always professional.’
‘Karin Roberts – highly knowledgeable and professional. Great communicator. Open and friendly. Elisabeth Eklund – Great knowledge about competition and the energy industry.’
‘Incredibly easy to work with. Always easy to get in touch with, always factual and looks at the issues from several angles and supports with recommendations. We are very satisfied with Delphi.’
‘They are professionals and experts in their fields. Always helpful and good at describing legal issues or processes in an educational way. They are very concerned about the result and that we as customers should really be satisfied. On top of everything, also very nice and easy to get in touch with!’
‘Very competent team and also very helpful.’
‘The company covers a large amount of different expertise.’
‘I have worked mostly with Elisabeth Eklund. The collaboration with Elisabeth is flawless. She is very service minded and goes the extra mile for her clients.’
Google LLC/Google Sweden AB/Alphabet Inc.
Huawei Technologies Sweden AB
DLF Service AB
GS1 Sweden AB
Polestar Automotive Holding UK PLC AB
Seafood Business for Ocean Stewardship (SeaBOS)
A Flygbränslehantering AB
- Defending Google et al against the Swedish price comparison company Pricerunner.
- Represented Huawei in an administrative court case against the Swedish Post and Telecommunications Authority regarding a ban of Huawei’s 5G equipment and services.
- Successfully assisted AFAB in a cartel investigation before the Swedish Competition Authority concerning access to ground handling facilities at Arlanda airport.
Hammarskiöld is well regarded in the market for its knowledge of antitrust issues, cartel investigations, state aid matters, merger control work and litigation. Claes Langenius leads the team with over 25 years’ experience acting for Swedish and international companies before the European Commission and the Swedish Competition Authority. Malin Albert is a key name for EU law and public procurement work and has particular experience of the life sciences sector, and Sofia Falkner, who was recently promoted to associate partner, is a key name for cartel investigations and dominance issues.
Other key lawyers:
Malin Albert; Sofia Falkner
‘Sofia Falkner is very competent and engaged.’
‘Excellent knowledge of competition law combined with practical business-minded advice.’
Trusted Connectivity Alliance
Utopia Music AG
LBC Borås AB
- Representing Scania in all stages of the so called Trucks case, from the on-site inspections by the Commission to appeal of the General Court judgment to the European Court of Justice.
- Assisted Utopia Music AG in setting up a multijurisdictional antitrust/competition compliance program for its business.
- Regularly conducting multi-jurisdictional merger filing assessments for a large Swedish private equity fund.
Kastell Advokatbyrå AB
Kastell Advokatbyrå AB’s team is led by Erik Söderlind and Pamela Hansson and handles merger control work, as well as representing clients before the Swedish Competition Authority, the European Commission, Swedish courts and the European Court of Justice. Söderlind has over 30 years’ experience in competition law and is also a key name for regulatory work, with particular experience in the telecoms, pharmaceuticals and energy sectors. Hansson and Christina Mailund both handle transactional work, state aid mandates and competition litigation.
Erik Söderlind; Pamela Hansson
Other key lawyers:
Christina Mailund; Malin Persson
‘The Kastell team showed great knowledge about how EU organisations works and how they think.’
‘The advice we have got in different parts of this process has been very important for the positive outcome of the case.’
‘A high level of knowledge, structured, very good in writing and with a strategic mind.’
Roschier’s EU and competition group acts for high-profile domestic and international clients on M&A-related competition law, and also handles cartel and dominance investigations and competition litigation. Kristian Hugmark leads the team and has considerable experience in investigations and state aid matters, particularly in the media, retail, food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, telecoms and energy sectors. Emma Johansson, who recently joined as principal associate from Advokatfirman Vinge, is a noteworthy name for merger and foreign direct investment (FDI) control advice, antitrust investigations and litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Emma Johansson assisted on the merger control aspects of one the largest transactions in the online gambling sector. Emma demonstrated an excellent knowledge in international merger control and ability to coordinate large projects seamlessly and efficiently.’
Anders Hedin Group
Bonnier, including Bonnier News/ Mariebergs Tidnings AB, SF, Bonnier Growth, Bonnier Books (including BookBeat, Bonnierförlagen, and Adlibris) and other Bonnier owned companies
Brunswick Real Estate
Coca-Cola European-Pacific Partners
CVC Capital Partners
ETG (E-Traveli Group)
IK Investment Partners
PMI (Philip Morris International)
Rights & Brands
Stark Group (including subsidiary Beijer Byggmaterial)
- Advising Philip Morris International on merger control approvals of its bid for Swedish Match.
- Assisting CVC and E-traveli Group with the sale of E-Traveli to industry leader Booking.com.
- Advising Ahlsell on the European Commission approval of industrial takeover of Sanistål.
The EU and competition team at Cirio Advokatbyrå AB is ‘skilled, tight and works well together’; its broad offering encompasses expertise in merger control issues, abuse of dominance claims, cartels, competition litigation and investigations brought by national authorities and the European Commission. Ulrica Salomon leads the team and is a key name for state aid and international merger control issues.
Other key lawyers:
Miranda Hermansson Varli
‘The competition team at Cirio is very skilled, tight and work well together. Something that sets them apart is their tight integration with the other practices such as M&A, Financing and Dispute Resolution. This enables them to identify and handle potential competition issues early on.’
‘Ulrica Salomon: Ulrica is a very strong competition lawyer with a large diversified portfolio. She has significant experience from large and complex pan-Nordic mergers where she has achieved amazing results. She is very approachable and pleasant to work with.’
‘Miranda Hermansson Varli: Miranda is a very strong Senior Associate at Cirio. She is smart, fast and has a good understanding of EC competition law.’
‘We worked with Cirio on a merger control notification. Ulrica Salomon leads a competent and responsive team; they were able to handle notifications in several jurisdictions and large volumes of data.’
‘Ulrica Salomon handled the case in an efficient and timely manner.’
‘In our cases, Cirio has had broad competence, very good collaboration and quick feedback on their thoroughly completed work.’
‘Responsive, service-oriented, good communication skills, ability to present complex material. Ulrica Salomon is a specific stand-out partner with associate Miranda Hermansson.’
Nalka Invest AB
Clear Channel Sverige AB
Yamaha Motor Europe N.V. (Swedish branch)
Kalmar Öland Airport AB
- Advised BEWI ASA on its acquisition of Jackon Holding AS.
- Advised ICA Gruppen in connection with a public takeover offer.
Hannes Snellman advises foreign and domestic clients on the competition aspects of large M&A transactions, as well as cartel and abuse of dominance investigations, follow-on damages claims, and regulatory proceedings. Peter Forsberg and Joakim Lavér co-head the team, with Forsberg recommended for international merger control issues and Lavér a key name for public procurement mandates.
Peter Forsberg; Joakim Lavér
‘I have worked together with Peter Forsberg in relation to a buy-out process as well as specific competition related matters. He’s attentive, pragmatic, understands the business and has a very nice approach in general.’
‘Peter Forsberg is pragmatic, finding suitable solutions that always comply with the legislation.’
‘Great knowledge and experience.’
‘Peter Forsberg, excellent knowledge of competition law.’
Kingdom of Sweden
One Equity Partners
AURELIUS Equity Opportunities
Conaxess Trade Sweden
- Acting as merger control counsel to Konecranes on its merger with Cargotec.
- Advising Oriola on a JV combining its pharmacy retail operations in Sweden with that of rival Europapotheca, acting before the European Commission, and upon a voluntary referral, the Swedish Competition Authority.
- Representing Altia on its merger with Arcus, including a lengthy phase II matter before the competition authorities in Sweden, Finland, and Norway including structural remedies.
Advokatfirman Schjødt’s EU and competition team is led in Stockholm by Mats Johnsson and Oslo by Olav Kolstad, and advises on a range of competition matters, including cartels, restrictive agreements, merger control work and state aid issues. The group also represents clients before the European Commission, and the national competition authorities and courts.
Mats Johnsson; Olav Kolstad
‘Well organised, responsive.’
‘Available, experts in their field.’
‘Mats Johnsson is a dedicated and knowledgeable lawyer. Very responsive and easy to work with.’
‘Schjødt is the first law firm that can offer local competition work in both Sweden and Norway – and that facilitates matters in pan-Nordic mergers. The line up consists of very experienced lawyers in both countries.’
‘Mats Johnsson is a very experienced competition lawyer. He brings to the Swedish scene unparalleled experience in EC competition work and in dealing with the Commission.’
Jackon Holding ASA
- Advised Jackon Holding in the context of Bewi’s acquisition of the company.
At Setterwalls, clients benefit from the team's ‘experience, strategic tactics and always good advice’. Rolf Larsson and Erik Gadman recently joined from Gernandt & Danielsson Advokatbyrå and Larsson now heads up the practice, while Ulf Djurberg left for Magnusson Sweden. Key areas of focus for the department include state aid issues, antitrust matters, trade and merger control work, and competition litigation, and Larsson has considerable experience in contentious matters, representing clients before various authorities.
Other key lawyers:
Martin Levinsohn; Bo Berndtsson; Angelica Ström; Mattias Wiklund; Erik Gadman
‘Knowledgeable team working quickly and efficiently. Good subject matter experts and large network.’
‘Experience, strategic tactics, great listeners and always good advice.’
‘Great knowledge, always on the ball, nice to work with.’
‘Always ready to go the extra mile.’
‘We have worked with Rolf Larsson and Erik Gadman with senior associate Angelica Ström. The team, led by Rolf, is very good and easy and pleasant to work with.’
‘Rolf Larsson, lead partner within competition, is one of the best competition lawyers I have come across and also very likable and easy going. Also Erik Gadman is very technical skilled (mostly in procurement matters).’
‘Great communication during the process which is very important. Easy to work with and understands the client needs.’
‘Diverse team with a very competent head with a wide spectra of knowledge within competition/compliance matters.’
Green Landscaping Group AB
Wallenius Lines AB
Nordisk Bergteknik AB
Wästbygg Gruppen AB
- Successfully represented long-standing client KLS Ugglarps in a merger control matter before the Swedish Competition Authority.
- Successfully represented long-standing client Wallenius Lines AB in a merger control matter before the Swedish Competition Authority and other national competition authorities inside and outside the EU, concerning the client’s establishment of a full-function Joint Venture (50-50) together with Alfa Laval Corporate AB.
- Successfully represented the Wästbygg Group with a merger control filing before the Swedish Competition Authority, concerning the acquisition of Rekab Entreprenad AB, one of the leading construction companies in northern Sweden.
Advokatfirma DLA Piper Sweden KB acts for top domestic and international clients on M&A-related competition issues as well as strategic matters. The practice is well versed in handling competition investigations conducted by the Swedish Competition Authority and provides abuse of dominance advice and general assistance in relation to competition matters. Erik Brändt Öfverholm heads up the team and is experienced in cross-border merger control issues.
Erik Brändt Öfverholm
Amazon Web Services
- Represented Porsche in proceedings before the European Commission and the Swedish Competition Authority regarding its joint acquisition with Scania of Bilmetro.
- Advised a consortium of leading Swedish banks on the antitrust aspects to the establishment of a payment system cooperation.
MAQS Advokatbyrå’s competition offering is led by Mikael Åström and advises a wide range of clients on merger controls matters, cartel defence and investigations, and competition litigation. Åström has over 20 years’ experience in competition and regulatory matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has in-depth knowledge of the relevant competition law regulations as well as relevant industries and markets.’
‘They provide an excellent service, in a fast and efficient manner and are available 24/7.’
‘Partner Mikael Åström is a leading competition lawyer providing high quality legal advice. He stands out not only for the high quality of his legal services, but also for his industry knowledge and commercial approach. He is very service-minded and always available.’
Infrastructure Logistics (ILAB)
Essity Hygiene and Health
Perrigo Company Plc
- Formally appointed as lead outside counsel for Essity Hygiene and Health on a continuous basis on all legal matters, including substantial and complex competition law advice.
- Advising Perrigo Company Plc on competition law.