Dispute resolution in Spain
Allen & Overy
The 'well-balanced team of very skilled professionals' at Allen & Overy specialises in international disputes and arbitration. In addition to these two key areas, the firm is known for commercial litigation, financial litigation and special situations, including insolvencies and enforcement of securities. Javier Castresana focuses on financial litigation, notably restructuring and insolvency litigation. He co-leads the practice with Javier Mendieta, who advises on civil, contractual and corporate disputes, as well as real estate and construction issues and liability claims related to investments in the financial sector, and Antonio Vázquez-Guillén, who has expertise in the commercial, banking and finance fields, specifically matters relating to breaches of contract, enforcement of guarantees, insolvencies and claims for damages. Also notable are senior associate José Luis Terron, who advises financial institutions in mis-selling cases, and counsel Emma Morales, who joined from Linklaters in 2019 and brings expertise in commercial and civil litigation.
‘They work together well and act as a real team where each and every person has their own role and expertise, but they are very respectful to each other and to the client’
‘Very knowledgeable on the subject matter’
‘Without exception very responsive to all questions and concerns’
‘Very high quality legal documentation’
‘Marie Stoyanov is a very well-versed litigator – she is quick and sharp, combining strong analytical skills with profound knowledge of the subject matter and the ability to speak clearly on very complex matters. She has a sharp eye and ear for weaknesses in the opponent’s arguments and the ability to process and respond rapidly’
‘David Ingle is a very talented attorney with rock-solid communication skills, in writing and speaking. He has great delivery of legal arguments, which are well prepared and well structured and therefore very convincing’
‘Antonio Vazquez Guillen is a very knowledgeable attorney and pleasant in his communication with us: reassuring, comforting, dedicated and clear’
Sevilla Beheer, B.V.
Bridgepoint Advisers Limited
Innogy SE and Innogy Spain, S.A.U.
EBL (Genossenschaft Elektra Baselland) and Tubo Sol PE2, S.L.
Canepa Green Energy Opportunities I, S.À R.L. and Canepa Green Energy Opportunities II, S.À R.L.
- Representing the claimants, RWE Innogy Aersa (now Innogy Spain) and RWE Innogy (now Innogy), in an arbitration under the ICSID Convention pursuant to the 1994 Energy Charter Treaty against the Kingdom of Spain.
- Representing the claimants, Stadtwerke München, RWE Innogy (now Innogy), RheinEnergie, Andasol Fonds, AS 3 Beteiligungs, Andasol 3 Kraftwerks, Ferranda, Ferrostaal Industrial Projects and Marquesado Solar, in an arbitration under the ICSID Convention pursuant to the 1994 Energy Charter Treaty against the Kingdom of Spain.
- Representing the claimants, Sevilla Beheer, Cordoba Beheer, Cross Retail and 56 other Spanish project companies, in an arbitration under the ICSID Convention pursuant to the 1994 Energy Charter Treaty against the Kingdom of Spain.
Clifford Chance ‘knows the market, the system, the law and the legal structures perfectly', specialising in cross-border litigation, international arbitration and investigations. The practice is co-led by the well-regarded Jose Antonio Cainzos, who ‘makes overwhelmingly complicated disputes easy to manage’; Iñigo Villoria, who focuses on defending clients in clawback actions and matters related to the classification of insolvency; Ignacio Díaz de la Cruz, who was promoted to partner in 2019 and is known for international disputes, cross-border litigation and complex damages claims; IP litigation expert Miquel Montañá; and Josep Montefusco, whose expertise includes IP, unfair competition issues and damages claims. The team was further strengthened in 2018 by the arrival of state lawyer Fernando Irurzun as counsel; he has experience acting in a number of jurisdictions as well as in commercial and investment arbitration.
‘The team has a great ability to identify and define the damage in cases of non-contractual liability, as well as excellent communication regarding how they approach the needs of the client’
‘They anticipate any movement from the tribunal, court and counterparty’
‘They work very hard and they are more concerned and worried about the customer’s interests than their own’
‘José Antonio Caínzos controls all courses of actions, identifies all the relevant legal and business decisions and helps you navigate the process from the first to the last step of your dispute. It is like having an incredibly skilled litigator as part of your own in-house counsel’
‘Borja Perez-Puente is impressively efficient and detail-oriented. He quickly learns all the technical details of both your business and the case and then he is able to explain them in plain language with an amazing ease. He understands you and the court and makes sure that nothing is lost in-between’
‘José Antonio Caínzos has a really huge amount of legal knowledge and he always knows exactly which is the right thing to do. He is really polite, hard working and always worried about his customers’
‘Eduardo Hernandez can manage many important issues and cases at the same time. He is young but really well experienced, works really hard and has skill enough to understand any problem and topic easily, realising what is the best thing to do from a legal perspective’
‘The professionals that have worked with us have exceptional training and they take their job very seriously. They have worked in perfect harmony and co-odination with us and the experts that have collaborated in the matters in which the team has participated’
‘José Antonio Caínzos and Borja Perez-Puente clearly explain at all times the different alternatives that they propose for the planning of the matter. They are close to the client at all times and they have an exceptional knowledge about the matters in which they participate. They inspire trust’
Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Madrid
Red Eléctrica de España
- Acted for ACS Servicios, Comunicaciones y Energía in a major dispute related to the biggest gas storage system in Spain.
- Advising HSBC Bank plc in two court actions filed by Inversión Corporativa, Finarpisa and Ardanchón, vehicles controlled by Felipe Benjumea (the former chairman of Abengoa), against Banco Santander and HSBC.
- Acting for Manuel Jove, the former chairman and controlling chairholder of Martinsa-Fadesa, in three separate director’s liability claims.
Particularly active across Europe and Latin America, Cuatrecasas is known for advising Iberian companies with foreign interests and international companies seeking advice on international arbitration. The firm specialises in the areas of infrastructure, engineering and construction, as well as banking and insurance litigation. Alfonso Iglesia has experience in national and international arbitration and court proceedings. He co-leads the practice with bankruptcy and business restructuring expert Antonio Carreño. They can call on the expertise of Álvaro Mendiola, who focuses on arbitration and commercial litigation, notably in disputes arising from M&A transactions. Alfonso Gómez-Acebo joined the team in 2018 from Baker McKenzie and brings experience in international arbitration.
Sociedad Concesionario Metro De Lima
Consortium Cosapi JJC SC
El Corte Ingles
- Representing the international consortium granted the project to design, finance, build, operate and maintain a new line of the Lima and Callao subway in international arbitration brought against the Republic of Peru before the ICSID.
- Representing FCC-Astaldi in a €22m ICC arbitration, in Paris, related to a FIDIC contract to design and build a major road infrastructure in Romania.
- Defending El Corte Inglés in a dispute initiated by Dimas Gimeno over the board of directors’ decision to remove him as president as part of the group’s refinancing.
Garrigues has particular expertise in the field of civil, contractual and commercial litigation and arbitration. The firm specialises in multi-jurisdictional disputes arising from the construction, energy, banking, insurance and finance sectors. In addition, the practice is known for acting in distribution and joint venture disputes. Carlos de los Santos has experience acting in court and arbitration proceedings related to contractual and corporate matters. He co-leads the team with arbitration and alternative dispute resolution expert Joe Tirado, who is based in London. Also notable are Alberto Pimenta, who focuses on banking, insurance and corporate disputes, and Eduardo Santamaría Moral, who is known for acting in the industrial sectors. In a recent highlight, the group represented NH Hotel Group in a challenge by its main shareholder, HNA Group, to the resolutions adopted at the general shareholders' meeting that declared the existence of a conflict of interest between the two.
‘Alberto Pimenta and his team break the case down to the smallest detail and analyse it from all points of view, looking for strengths but also weaknesses’
‘They stand out in all aspects’
‘They are exhaustive, and as for examinations in court, they are the best’
‘Alberto Pimenta and Alejandro Huertas stand out’
‘Great litigation team, high quality, good responsiveness’
‘Francisco Manuel Serrano is outstanding in all respects’
APM Terminals (Maersk)
Kia Motors Iberia
NH Hotel Group
- Represented LafargeHolcim in a claim brought against it by an external consultant claiming payment of fees in relation to alleged services provided to the client group in Colombia.
- Successfully represented Zurich in a claim against the Abengoa Group for reimbursement of a substantial amount due to the enforcement of a performance bond related to the construction in Poland of a combined cycle power plant.
- Representing Televisa in a complex contractual dispute regarding the creation, development and production of formats and audiovisual products worldwide.
Pérez-Llorca is particularly strong in cross-border litigation and arbitration matters, specialising in advising clients before the European Court of Justice. The firm’s expertise covers construction and energy disputes, banking and insurance litigation, unfair competition and asset-recovery issues. Félix J. Montero leads the practice and advises on civil and commercial litigation and domestic and international arbitration. His team includes Juan Manuel Rodríguez Cárcamo, who specialises in the regulated sectors, notably energy, telecoms, media, banking and pharmaceuticals, and García Marrero, who was promoted to partner in 2020. The department was further strengthened in 2018 by the arrival of litigation, arbitration and insolvency expert Javier Izquierdo, who joined from Gómez-Acebo & Pombo.
Gas Natural (Naturgy)
Gibraltar Residential Properties Limited
- Advised one of the largest truck manufacturing groups belonging to the Volkswagen Group on all the proceedings currently being initiated by several truck owners claiming damages arising from anti-competitive practice.
- Representing and advising GRP in relation to the recognition and enforcement of a judgement rendered by the High Court of England and Wales.
Uría Menéndez is known for its expertise in civil and commercial proceedings, international and domestic arbitration, administrative law, constitutional law and criminal law. The firm is increasingly active in the Latin American market and brings broad sector expertise to its disputes practice, including corporate law, financial transactions, infrastructure projects, IT and commercial contracts. Jesús Remón Peñalver leads the team and is experienced in a range of judicial and arbitration proceedings. Also notable are Álvaro López de Argumedo, who specialises in civil litigation and international arbitration; Alex Ferreres Comellas, who focuses on contractual liability and torts; and international arbitration expert Miguel Virgós. The department is representing Banco Santander in a damages claim brought against it by former shareholders of Abengoa.
‘The skills and strategic vision of the litigation team are exceptional’
‘Uria’s deep knowledge of subjects and capacity to set up different strategies makes the difference’
‘José Miguel Fatás and Julio Iglesias have great knowledge of legal background and technical skills, combined with strategic vision, involvement in the transaction and availability’
The BP Group
Riu Hotels, S.A.
Adidas España, S.A.U.
Unicaja Banco, S.A.
- Representing Banco Santander in a claim for damages brought against it by former shareholders of Abengoa.
- Representing DAF Trucks in numerous claims for damages brought against it regarding the European trucks cartel case.
- Representing Duro Felguera in a debt recovery matter.
Active in domestic and international arbitration, Baker McKenzie also provides expertise in civil, commercial, financial and insolvency litigation. The firm has pareticular experience acting in the automotive, infrastructure and technology sectors. José Ramón Casado specialises in commercial and civil litigation, as well as national and international arbitration proceedings. He co-leads the practice with Victor Mercedes, who focuses on civil, commercial and economic crime litigation. Recent highlights include representing Barcelona Football Club in various civil proceedings filed by more than 500 members of the club who were fined for ticket forgery.
‘It has always been a pleasure to work with them. Their professional accuracy, their knowledge and their full dedication are distinguishing marks of the team’
‘They are qualified people with a strong commitment to the cases they work on’
‘They know in-depth the context from which the dispute arose, understand the behaviour of the opponent and are able to persuade the court’
‘José Ramón Casado has personally immersed himself in the case down to the smallest detail to understand it first hand and to defend our interests in an outstanding way’
Atos Spain, S.A.
TMF Spain, S.A.
Grupo Antolín, S.A.
Twitter Spain, S.A.
Capgemini España, S.A.
- Represented a group of shareholders in an ad hoc arbitration entered into by two different groups of shareholders in a company in the real estate business.
- Representing a leading Spanish group of international freight carriers in judicial proceedings filed in Madrid by a minority shareholder claiming the nullity of a previous sale of part of the group and a compensation for damages.
- Advising a leading chemical group in an appeal in a major tax controversy case before the Spanish Constitutional Court alleging breach of the client’s right of defence which regulates due process.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo is known for commercial litigation, investment litigation, competition infringements and arbitration. The firm particularly specialises in disputes arising from the energy sector. Gonzalo Ardila leads the practice and has significant experience before the domestic courts and arbitration tribunals. His team includes counsel Irene Arévalo, who arrived in 2018 from White & Case LLP and combines expertise in restructuring, insolvency and commercial litigation. In a recent highlight, the department represented WiZink Bank in a dispute regarding revolving credits and the regulation of unfair terms in commercial legislation. Borja de Obeso left to join DLA Piper in 2018.
‘Very professional and well-prepared team’
‘Inés Vázquez is a great litigator’
Burford Capital Limited
Taconic Capital Advisors
- Advising certain lenders of the AP41 toll road concessionaire (under insolvency proceedings in Spain) in judicial proceedings against some of the sponsors of the concessionaire.
- Advising Sareb on various contentious issues relating to its holding and disposal of various real estate assets and investment funds.
- Represented Foresight Luxembourg Solar, Greentech Energy Systems and others in an Energy Charter Treaty arbitration against the Kingdom of Spain.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP provides an international capacity and cross-border expertise, with a particular focus on Latin America, the US, the Middle East, Australia and Africa. Eduardo Soler-Tappa leads the practice and specialises in energy litigation and arbitration, as well as public law and regulation. His team includes counsel Manuel Rivero, who is former Deputy Director General of the litigation department at the Spanish General State Attorney's Office. The department was further strengthened by the arrivals from Arias SLP in 2019 of the ‘outstanding’ David Arias, who is known for his arbitration expertise, and counsel Luis Capiel, who focuses on commercial and construction disputes.
‘Manuel Rivero has excellent expertise and strong attention to detail’
‘David Arias is excellent, the best of his generation’
‘One of the great disputes teams. They are great jurists and at the same time practical and decisive’
‘They have the strategic vision to seek the best for the client’
‘David Arias is undoubtedly one of the two best experts in international arbitration that we have in Spain’
Air Europa Líneas Aéreas
Autopistas de Navarra
Constructora San José
Liga Nacional de Fútbol Profesional
- Representing a client in international investment arbitration filed under the Energy Charter Treaty by 14 investment funds from Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Germany and Spain, subject to the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules.
- Advising Nueva Pescanova on litigation against one of its shareholders regarding the nullity of a facility agreement granted to companies belonging to Grupo Nueva Pescanova by certain financial entities.
- Advising one of Oaktree Capital Management’s branch companies on the management of a debt portfolio, including advising on potential settlements with debtors and representing the company in the judicial proceedings related to the enforcement of guarantees securing its credits.
Cross-border specialist Linklaters is 'absolutely top-notch' and has experience in a range of disputes issues, including pre-litigation advice, civil and criminal litigation, and arbitration. As well as being active in international and domestic arbitration, the firm has notable expertise in the areas of banking, real estate, civil liability, industrial conflicts and insolvency. The 'outstanding' Francisco Málaga advises corporates and financial institutions on litigation matters. He co-leads the practice with Borja Fernandez de Troconiz, who focuses on bank litigation, commercial disputes and insolvencies.
‘The Linklaters litigation team is recommended, not only because of the results they achieve (impressive on almost every occasion), but also, and more importantly, because of their savoir faire, expertise and commitment to their clients, and the peace and tranquillity they transmit to clients even in difficult legal circumstances’
‘Their knowledge of the law, not only procedural but also substantive, makes them an unparalleled team in the Spanish market’
‘Francisco Malaga is a leading figure. He not only knows his way around the courtroom, but also knows how to navigate each circumstance and can adapt to the specific needs of each occasion, putting the needs of the client first at all times’
‘The ability to deal with a wide variety of financial markets litigation matters and to give clear and commercial advice’
‘Francisco Málaga has excellent judgement and gives clear and concise advice. He is immensely hardworking and very responsive’
- Advising Iberdrola on a claim filed by Petronor for damages caused by interruptions to the electricity service.
- Advising three BNP employees in charge of the compliance department in a money laundering investigation.
- Advising a minority shareholder of Liberbank on arbitration proceedings filed by the major shareholders, who claim the termination of the shareholders’ agreement.
Known for its 'technical knowledge and availability’, Ashurst LLP has particular experience advising financial institutions and insurance companies in disputes arising from distressed assets transactions, investments in special situations, insolvency and real estate matters. José Antonio Rodríguez leads the practice and specialises in civil, commercial and administrative litigation, as well as arbitration and insolvency. Also notable in the team are María José Menéndez, who focuses on arbitration related to M&A, joint venture and insurance matters, and Pablo García Manzano, who joined from the Spanish Ministry of Energy, Tourism and Digital Agenda in 2018 and has expertise in the public law and administrative aspects of the regulated sectors.
‘Comprehensive approach and balanced team’
‘Understand the client’s needs’
‘Raquel Mendieta is very flexible and a fantastic litigator’
‘José Antonio Rodriguez is known for his argumentative skills, his ability to persuade and the clarity of his approach, in addition to strength and legal rigour’
‘The Ashurst team is characterised by being very thorough and fully available’
‘In the insurance sector it is a reference point’
‘Administration experience, capacity for and complete vision from different points of view of the problems that arise’
- Representing Gateway (as the defendant) in arbitration proceedings before the Madrid Chamber of Commerce, brought by minority shareholders of Grupo Itinere (Abanca, Kutxabank and Sacyr) against the client, Citi, Pear and Liberbank.
- Advising Barclays Bank plc and CaixaBank on the insolvency proceedings of one of the largest property development companies in Spain, Reyal Urbis.
- Advising Cerberus in connection with the management of foreclosures and insolvency procedures related to the acquisition of portfolios of non-performing loans from Sareb.
CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo specialises in advising financial institutions on litigation and arbitration proceedings, particularly in relation to breaches of SPAs and director liability, as well as acting in corporate disputes and matters arising from distribution and agency contracts. Notable in the area are Luis Javier Vidal, who has experience in the areas of civil litigation, corporate, banking law and insolvency, as well as domestic and international arbitration, and Juan Ignacio Fernández Aguado, who specialises in civil and commercial litigation, insolvency, financial crime and contentious administrative issues.
‘I think they are a great team who are able to deal with everything we need’
‘The team is very efficient and everybody knows what they have to do’
‘Jorge Sánchez is one of the greatest lawyers in Spain. He is clever and his ideas are always interesting’
Iberdrola/Endesa/ Kutxabank/Corporación Mondragó
Adveo España & Adveo Group International
- Advised Iberdrola, Endesa, Corporación Mondragón and Kutxabank in the earn-out claim against International Cable for the sale of shares in Euskaltel.
- Advised Deutsche Bank in relation to the defence against lawsuits related to investment products or derivatives.
- Advised Adveo España (formerly Unipapel) and Adveo Group International in relation to more than 12 civil proceedings claiming damages due to an administrative resolution declaring the existence of a cartel.
The 'excellent' DLA Piper team has experience in national and international arbitration, as well as notable expertise in financial sector disputes and insolvency litigation. Practice head Borja de Obeso joined from Gómez-Acebo & Pombo in 2018 and specialises in litigation, arbitration and insolvency, particularly in relation to the construction, energy and infrastructure sectors. Álvaro Lobato retired in 2019 and Óscar Franco left to join Latham & Watkins LLP, also in 2019.
‘The DLA team stand out for their appreciation of the commercial aspects of the situation, how these impact on their clients’ objectives, ways in which these concerns can be mitigated, and current advances in jurisprudence’
Administrador de Infraestructuras Ferroviarias (ADIF)
Apollo Global Management LLC
Bain Capital Credit, Ltd.
CBRE Global Investors
Cerberus European Servicing Advisors Iberia, S.L.U.
DS Smith Plc
El Corte Inglés
Electronic Arts Software
Hogan Lovells International LLP is experienced in corporate disputes arising from shareholders' agreements, SPAs and M&A, as well as civil liability actions against corporate directors. The firm has particular specialisms in the areas of financial services litigation, private enforcement actions derived from antitrust violations, and arbitration before national and international institutions. Luis Alfonso Fernández is known for acting in a range of matters, from insurance and reinsurance disputes to matters related to finance and cyber risks. He co-leads the practice with José Luis Huerta, who focuses on commercial litigation, arbitration and corporate disputes. Also notable in the team is counsel Jon Aurrecoechea, who ‘has strong technical skills and whose strategical steer of the litigation process is top of the market'.
‘Hogan Lovells is a very well-known firm, with broad experience in many sectors, including the automotive one’
‘José Luis Huerta and Jon Aurrecoechea get very good results and are used to work in an international environment’
‘Jon Aurrecoechea is a great lawyer who knows how to organise a defense strategy and knows how to explain it in simple words to the client’
‘José Luis Huerta knows how to find practical solutions for serious issues. He is very accessible’
‘I have been very satisfied with the standards, the preparation of every single procedural step, and the easy and direct communication with lawyer leading the case’
‘Jon Aurrecoechea has a very direct, to-the-point approach, as well as a clear vision of the client’s interests, which translates to an easy workflow in the preparation of the litigation’
ArcelorMittal Spain Holding, S.L.
Ford Credit Europe
- Acting for ArcelorMittal in a claim against the former owner and current minority shareholder, José María Aristrain, concerning a purchase option over the company’s headquarters in Madrid.
- Representing Spanish investor Lidercón in an ICSID international investment arbitration against the Republic of Peru.
Known for its global reach and expertise, Jones Day’s disputes practice works closely with the firm’s antitrust, government regulation, M&A, energy, environment, banking and finance teams. The department has a strong international commercial arbitration practice, as well as particular experience in the construction, infrastructure, real estate and energy sectors. Mercedes Fernández, a specialist in civil law procedure, leads the group and focuses on disputes relating to construction and energy projects, as well as large-scale distribution, investment arbitration and M&A transactions.
Cooperativas Agroalimentarias de España (CAE)
- Representing Cooperativas Agro-alimentarias de España (CAE), the principal owner of unmanned petrol stations in Spain, in several proceedings before the Spanish Supreme Court and other courts.
Specialising in civil and commercial disputes, Ramón y Cajal Abogados has particular experience advising on disputes in the telecoms, banking, infrastructure, energy and real estate sectors. Ramón Fernández-Aceytuno is active in litigation, arbitration and insolvency matters. He co-leads the practice with Barcelona-based Luis Briones, who has expertise in civil and commercial law disputes. In a recent highlight, the team acted for Redexis Gas before the Civil Court of Palma de Mallorca, in a matter arising from the carrying out of supply network construction work.
‘Always available for quick answers when needed’
‘The attention and carefulness to their clients is really what makes the difference’
‘Ramón Fernández-Aceytuno has the ability to negotiate, which is sometimes needed over the aggressive approach usually connected to litigation. He is able to explain complicated things in a simple way and is fair.’
Banco Santander, S.A.
Redexis Gas, S.A
Instalaciones Inabensa, S.A. (Grupo Abengoa, S.A.)
Abentel, S.A. (Grupo Abengoa, S.A.)
Unicaja Banco, S.A.
Mutua Madrileña, S.A.
Ortiz Construcciones Y Proyectos, S.A.
- Advised Banco Santander, as defendant, in a lawsuit resulting from the different interpretation of the terms agreed during the negotiation of the sale of a property.
- Defending Inabensa in arbitration brought by a consortium of Spanish companies that carried out the construction of the high-speed train line between the cities of Medina and Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for Unicaja Banco in litigation relating to mortgage loans.
Andersen has 'an excellent team’ known for being ‘extremely responsive and efficient in complex cases with very high stakes'. The firm covers a broad range of disputes, including matters related to commercial law, real estate, finance, commercial contracts and extra-contractual civil liability, as well as providing an experienced international arbitration practice. The practice also has a criminal law offering that advises companies and individuals. The team is co-led by Íñigo Rodríguez-Sastre, who specialises in civil and corporate law as well as domestic and international litigation and arbitration; Benjamin Prieto, who is an expert in civil and criminal procedural law; Barcelona office litigation head José María Rebollo; and director Carlos Soto, who is responsible for the litigation department in Seville.
‘Elena Sevila Sanchez has been extremely rigorous, responsive and precise in her work’
‘Andersen Tax and Legal give us total confidence and trust’
‘They have incredible experience in litigation and for them the client is first’
‘Elena Sevila and Iñigo Rodríguez–Sastre are, in my opinion, the best litigation lawyers in Madrid, because of their effort, their experience and their attitude – they are very smart and very dedicated to the client’
‘Great, quick and personal advice’
‘Perfect expertise and knowledge of the law and its application’
‘Attention to the specific needs of the customer’
‘The team covered all parts of our case properly and deeply’
Tokyo Marine Insurance
Compagnie Saliniere De Madagascar
Franchisee of Yves Rocher Spain
- Defending several US funds in relation to their €850m investment in Banco Popular.
- Defending a group of truck acquirers in a claim against truck manufacturers for taking part in a cartel throughout the whole European Economic Area for a period longer than 14 years.
- Defending Suzuki Motor in product liability actions.
Traditionally known as an M&A boutique, Araoz & Rueda has particular experience in the energy sector, as well as in post-acquisition disputes and shareholder or joint venture conflicts. In addition, the firm acts in a range of corporate and commercial litigation, as well as international arbitration. Eduardo de León advises in disputes before the Spanish courts and in domestic arbitrations, specialising in matters involving administrative law.
‘Deep knowledge of energy law in Spain, especially renewable energy’
‘Best price and quality in the energy sector’
‘Reputed law firm recognised by public administrations, utlities, developers and banks’
‘High success ratio in the disputes managed by this law firm’
‘Eduardo de León is a key person for dispute resolution’
- Advised a real estate company on enforcement proceedings against a local administration.
- Advised a real estate company on bankruptcy proceedings against a public company owned by a municipality.
- Advised a leading company in the renewable sector regarding different “Knot Conflicts”, relating to the denial of access to the electrical grid.
Specialist arbitration practice B. Cremades & Asociados is known for its expertise in international commercial and investment arbitration. In addition to acting as arbitrators and counsel, the firm advises third-party funders in relation to potential investments in international arbitrations, as well as representing clients in judicial and administrative tax and tax fraud proceedings. Founding partner Bernardo M. Cremades leads the team and focuses on commercial law, construction and infrastructure, energy, finance and investment arbitration.
Compañía de Inversiones Mercantiles, S.A. (CIMSA)
Inversiones Continental (Panamá), S.A.
Blue Bank International &Trust/A Barbadian trust manager
Ibercaja Banco, S.A.
Comunidad Judía de Madrid & Federación de Comunidades Judías de España
CAM (Court of Arbitration of Madrid)
- Represented Cimsa regarding the breach of a shareholders’ agreement.
- Acted as arbitrator in a NAFTA arbitration commenced by a Canadian investor against Mexico pursuant to the ICSID Additional Facility Rules.
- Advising and representing Ibercaja Banco before the Spanish courts in about 300 proceedings derived from mortgage loans and other general banking contracts, as well as managing and seeking out-of-court settlements of proceedings directly with the defendants.
Known for its cross-border and multi-disciplinary expertise, Bird & Bird is also active in domestic and international arbitrations. In addition, the practice is increasingly experienced in Latam-related disputes. The team provides broad sector specialisms and is co-led by Antonio Cueto, Coral Yáñez, Hermenegildo Altozano, Manuel Lobato and counsel Pablo Berenguer. Raquel Ballesteros, Raúl Bercovitz and Alexander Benalal left the firm in 2020.
Administrador De Infraestructuras Ferroviarias (Adif)
Informa Dun & Bradstreet, S.A
Enagás Transporte S.A.U.
Madrid Court Of Arbitration
Sanofi Aventis S.A
Vipp Lavori Speciali,S.R.L.
Musaat, Mutua De Seguros A Prima Fija
Puleva Food S.L.
- Acted as legal counsel to Adif in an international arbitration proceeding.
- Representing Informa D&B in an action against another group relating to infringement of database rights.
- Representing Mediaproducción as the plaintiff in civil and criminal litigation against pirating websites.
BROSETA Abogados is known for its ‘good negotiating and leadership', as well as its ‘timely responses'. The firm specialises in disputes related to the real estate and insurance sectors. Practice head Patricia Gualde has expertise in litigation and arbitration, including cross-border issues, construction matters and unfair competition. Her team was boosted by the 2018 arrival from Squire Patton Boggs of Jesús Carrasco, who acts for local and international companies across a range of disputes.
‘Very competitive pricing while providing a high-quality service’
‘The team is highly involved, making an intensive study of the issue at hand, always up to date’
‘Diversity and adaptability to their customers’
‘They are able to face different issues and their answers are always interesting and reasonable’
‘Fernando Cacho is very experienced but open and practical in his approach to the matter’
‘Nuria Arenas has an outstanding knowledge of our company and knows how to make us feel well attended’
‘Alfonso Carrillo Cano is wise, expert, involved, kind and tough’
‘Patricia Gualde is one of the best partners I know. She is dynamic and always finds a solution to our problems’
Haya Real Estate
B.E.R. Real Estate
- Acting for Bankinter in over 1,200 proceedings relating to nullity of multi-currency mortgages.
- Acting for Haya Real Estate in mortgage foreclosure proceedings.
- Representing Cimenta2 Gestión E Inversiones in procedures related to real estate and debt recovery.
Dentons focuses on advising multinational corporations, notably international companies, banks and investment funds. The firm has a niche specialisation in litigation arising from distressed investment situations and related to the workout of large debt portfolios. The department also provides broad sector expertise, working particularly closely with the tax and real estate teams. José María Buxeda has expertise in dispute resolution, corporate and commercial law, and M&A. He co-leads the practice with Juan Ignacio Alonso, who is known for disputes related to the automotive, retail, real estate financing, TMT and e-commerce sectors, and Julio Parrilla, whose experience covers litigation, arbitration and insolvency proceedings.
‘They are a team of pure winners’
‘Arantza Barandian and Adrien Coispel provide the most efficient advice, combining prudence and effectiveness’
- Representing TV production company Otelum in a contractual dispute with a global production and distribution company.
- Advising a bank on complex litigation in the context of the workout of the loan portfolio hold by the bank in Spain.
- Advising a pension fund on complex litigation in the context of the workout of a newly acquired commercial loan portfolio.
Specialising in TMT, ECIJA acts for national and international clients in a range of sectors, including retail, media, tourism, public sector, professional services and the arts. Notable in the team is litigation expert Javier López, who has experience representing clients in breach of contract, employment, unfair competition and real estate-related disputes, as well as business tort and white-collar crime cases. The practice was strengthened by the arrivals of Arturo del Burgo, who joined from Cremades & Calvo-Sotelo Abogados in 2018; José María Abella, who joined from Jiménez de Parga in 2019; and Alfredo Solana, who arrived from Colon de Carvajal Abogados, also in 2019.
‘They are very flexible’
‘Availability, professionalism and level of technical ability’
‘The team has great knowledge on defamation and free speech and media law.’
‘They know the industry, are fast and very approachable’
‘They give a clear advice, react fast and communicate well’
M&C Saachi Group
Teatro Príncipe Pio
Atletico De Madrid
- Representing ING in judicial proceedings against Multiasistencia Gestion Y Ayuda relating to alleged contractual liability amounting to €1.3m.
- Representing BT in judicial proceedings against Telefónica over liability for damages to telecoms infrastructure.
- Defending H&M in judicial proceedings against the owner of one of the flagship stores of the company.
The 'client-oriented, reliable and dedicated' Eversheds Sutherland Nicea is known for handling complex international disputes for national and multinational clients, particularly in the life science and construction sectors. The team is co-led by Antonio Bravo, who focuses on financial services, construction and energy matters; Francisco J. (Kiko) Carrión García de Parada, who acts in a range of international and domestic commercial litigation; José Mariano Cruz, who specialises in contractual disputes and IP; and Luis Francisco Bermejo Reales, who has expertise in litigation related to real estate, insurance, bankruptcy and restructuring.
‘Good negotiators, flexible, and include clients’
‘Obtain good results’
‘Flexibility of teamwork with clients’
‘Technical excellence and market knowledge’
‘In-house experience of members of the team’
‘Kiko Carrión has knowledge and experience in pharma-related disputes and an excellent approach to the judge and court’
‘Number one for oral hearing performance’
‘Alberto Dorrego has the deepest and best knowledge within the country in access, pricing and public contracting’
‘Great professionals, good teamwork and communication’
‘Practical proposals and very good implementation’
Merck & CO (and affiliate Merck Sharp & Dohme De España, S.A.)
John Sisk & Sons
DAF Trucks NV
- Acting for Athlon Car Lease Spain in civil and criminal proceedings enforcing its contractual rights.
- Acting for Tyco Integrated Fire & Security in various litigation matters in Spain, including a product liability case, breach of contract and damages cases, and unfair competition cases.
- Acting for Yokohama in various litigation matters in Spain, including product liability and debt recovery cases.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
GTA Villamagna Abogados provides public law expertise combined with specialisms in construction and corporate matters. Industry and energy expert Ernesto García-Trevijano co-leads the practice with Marta Plaza, who advises on public, civil and commercial disputes, including corporate litigation, contractual liability, competition actions, and protection of industrial and IP rights.
Tranvía De Parla, S.A.
Smart Hospital Cantabria,S.A.
Ence Energía Y Celulosa, S.A.
Insolvency Administration Of Autopista Madridlevante, Concesionaria Española, S.A.
Insolvency Administration Of Autopista Del Henares, Concesionaria Del Estado,S.A.
Insolvency Administration of Autopista Madrid Sur, Concesionaria Española, S.A.
Azierta Ingenia, S.L.
Eólica Valle De Peraleda, S.L.
Tema Concesionaria, S.A.
- Advising Tranvía de Parla in a case related to the contractor’s remuneration in the contract for the construction and exploitation of the tramway of the city of Parla.
- Advising Smart Hospital Cantabria in judicial proceedings against the Cantabrian Health Service regarding the interpretation of the contract of collaboration between the public sector and the private sector to carry out an integrated global action at the Marqués de Valdecilla University Hospital.
- Advising Ence Energía y Celulosa in separate legal proceedings against two of the regular fuel suppliers of the industrial plants that Ence has in Navia and Pontevedra.
A ‘true specialist in dispute resolution', Ius + Aequitas Abogados is known for international litigation, corporate investigations and its white-collar crime expertise. The firm acts in a range of disputes, including bankruptcy proceedings in the mercantile courts, criminal litigation and international arbitrations, with particular experience in the insolvency, IP and public law areas. ‘Outstanding’ managing partner Eliseo M. Martínez leads the team and provides 'deep knowledge and creativity’ in international litigation. Also notable is the ‘amazing’ Tomás Villatoro González, who specialises in litigation and alternative dispute resolution, as well as being ‘really good in administrative law'.
‘This practice is unique because it is composed of highly knowledgeable and experienced lawyers, in dispute resolution as well as in arbitration, who are always available’
‘They form an extraordinary multilingual and multicultural team (between them they speak perfect Spanish, English, French and Arabic)’
‘Eliseo Martínez and Tomás Villatoro have excellent abilities and professional experience’
‘ You get top-tier law firm quality work for a fraction of the cost charged by the big Spanish law firms’
‘Eliseo Martínez is a brilliant arbitrator and speaker. He can arbitrate in Spanish, English and French’
‘Tomás Villatoro is an exceptional arbitrator who always goes the extra mile for his clients and always knows his cases down to the smallest detail. It’s always a pleasure to work with him’
‘Farah Betelmal is specialised in arbitration and has marvellous experience. She speaks Spanish, Arabic, French and English perfectly and is a great asset to the team’
‘The firm has a capable team working in a dynamic, innovative and international environment, where excellence is the only way to achieve their client’s goals’
‘They focus completely on the client and give you everything you need’
‘Our customer experience was perfect’
D.I.S. – Esportes e Organizaçao de Eventos, Ltda and Federaçao das Associaçoes dos Atletas Profissionais
Ms Mariló Montero
Mr Miguel Cesteros Fernandez
Organización de Consumidores y Usuarios (OCU)
Asociación de Perjudicados por Abengoa
Mr. Vicente Ferro
EROSKI Sociedad Cooperativa (Grupo Mondragón).
- Representing DIS and the Brazilian Federation of Professional Athletes in its €39m criminal complaint against Barcelona Football Club player Neymar Jr for private corruption and fraud by contract simulation.
- Representing Fevitur in a claim against the Mayor of Palma de Mallorca, Antoni Noguera, for prevarication stemming from the drastic prohibition on marketing tourist accommodation in the city of Palma.
- Acting for Plataforma de Perjudicados por Abengoa (Association of People Affected by Abengoa) in claim relating to an alleged false accounting and investor scam carried out by Abengoa.
King & Wood Mallesons
Multi-jurisdictional specialist King & Wood Mallesons has experience in civil and commercial disputes, criminal litigation, arbitration and contentious administrative matters. Alfredo Guerrero leads the practice and is known for acting in commercial and financial disputes, as well as domestic and international arbitration.
‘When I work with KWM these word come to mind: “amat victoria curam”’
‘The main difference with other firms, in my personal experience, is that KWM team almost becomes you, as if the problem to resolve is theirs and theirs only’
‘They are passionate, skilful, elegant and eloquent in their arguments but most of all they do the right things and they do them right’
Valencia Fútbol Club S.A.D.
Worldwide Flight Services Servicios Aeroportuarios, S.A.
Whitepeak Advisors, S.A.
Inapa España Distribución de Papel, S.A.
Litoral del Este, S.L.
Investec Bank Plc
La Seda de Barcelona, S.A.
Shanghai Canaan Asset Management Co., Ltd.
Hillside España Leisure, S.A. (Bet 365)
Canal de Isabel II, S.A.
- Represented Valencia Football Club in court proceedings whereby the share capital increase of the company was challenged. The accrued disputed amount is €100m.
- Advising WFS on three different administrative litigation proceedings before the National High Court (Audiencia Nacional) relating to the awarding of 25 handling contracts by Aena for more than €33m.
- Represented Whitepeak Advisors in court proceedings against a North American and British real estate global leader.
The 'great, dedicated and available' ONTIER focuses on commercial disputes, including matters related to transactions, contracts, services and financial agreements. Pedro Rodero Rodríguez is an expert in litigation, national and international arbitration, and commercial law. He co-leads the practice with Cristina Camarero Espinosa, who works on a range of litigation and arbitration matters and is known as ‘very capable, client oriented and efficient’.
‘Cristina Camarero has excellent work and skills’
‘They are hard workers and enthusiastic’
‘They have a lot of experience in complex matters’
‘They make it easy for the client to deal with conflicts’
‘Cristina Camarero has vast knowledge and in court she is exceptional’
Vodafone España, S.A.U.
Vetra Energy Group, LLC
- Representing a multinational energy company in a claim of breach of contract against a multinational company.
- Acting in multiple civil litigation proceedings on behalf of an international energy group in order to recover the ownership of a Mexican petroleum company.
- Acting for a real estate group in a claim over an M&A transaction for a total amount of €400m, in which the claimants alleged that the transaction should be declared null and void because of financial assistance.
PwC Tax & Legal Services
PwC Tax & Legal Services specialises in the financial sector, particularly banking litigation and disputes related to insolvency and administrative cases. The firm’s geographical reach means that it can offer multi-jurisdictional expertise. Former state attorney Ernesto Benito leads the practice and has experience in civil, tax, telecoms, energy and financial sector litigation.
‘They anticipate the needs of the client’
‘The can solve any problem you have’
‘They have very good professionals in all areas’
‘David Mellado and Ernesto Benito are really good lawyers and they always have a solution for my company’
Gedesco Services Spain S.A.U.
JZ Gedhold, B.V.
- Acted for Llaollao in a conflict with its franchisor.
- Defended Hogar Útil, Cadbe and Constructora de Viviendas Unifamiliares in a lengthy dispute with one of the biggest property developers in Spain.
- Acted for Bankia as the defendant in a dispute with real estate company Linea Inicial.
DWF-RCD is known for handling pre-litigation and litigation procedures relating to IP and IT. The firm also specialises in commercial and corporate disputes, as well as handling domestic and international arbitration before the ICC and the Madrid and Barcelona courts of arbitration. The team is co-led by Ignacio Benejam, who focuses on corporate, financial, contractual and personal liability matters; Jordi Sanchez, who acts in commercial litigation, as well as national and international arbitration and corporate crime matters; Alfonso Maristany, whose experience ranges from commercial and civil litigation to arbitration and insolvency law; Felipe Cabredo, who has expertise in civil, corporate, banking, real estate and construction law; and Salvio Codes, who was promoted to partner in 2019 and is active in civil procedural law matters.
‘The thing that makes them unique is that they have a really strong knowledge of the economy’
‘Really accessible and adapted to the way insurance companies work’
‘Conflicts are analysed with a practical approach, in a short time, and advice is given in a clear and concise manner’
‘Communication skills are very good, involvement of staff at all levels, availability is also high’
Active in litigation and arbitration matters, Roca Junyent has experience in financial disputes, breaches of SPAs and directors' liability, as well as litigation arising from distribution and agency contracts. The firm is particularly strong in finance-related claims, representing national and international investors. Gonzalo Serrano Fenollosa is known for his civil and corporate law expertise, with a focus on disputes concerning unfair competition and economic matters. He co-leads the practice with international arbitration specialist Marlen Estévez, who acts in disputes across a range of sectors.
‘Skilled professionals, fully focused on a positive resolution’
‘360 degree approach, excellent competence’
‘Very aligned with the client’s interests’
‘Marlen Estévez is an outstanding negotiator for several reasons: her deep knowledge of the process, in-depth study of the case, very strong interpersonal and oral skills’
‘Strong and coordinated team’
‘Gonzalo Serrano Fonollosa is a highly skilled lawyer’
‘The team goes beyond simple knowledge of the law and case analysis to take on a strategic approach, showing engagement in the negotiation, and being very proactive in the decision-making process’
‘Marlen Estévez stands out in both her proximity to the client and proactive approach to better understanding the client’s needs in order to achieve a better final result’
Aeris Invest Sarl
Monsora, S.L. / Modern Villas Costa Blanca, S.L.
Several members of the Gancedo Family
Gévora Construcciones, S.A.
VV Autogroup OY
NBC Universal Global Networks España, S.L.U.
Goodyear Dunlop Tires España, S.A.
NH Hotel Group, S.A.
- Successfully represented Monsora in a €12m claim against the City Hall of Cuevas de Almanzora.
- Acted for Gévora in proceedings before the National Court requesting the annulment of a competition authority resolution in which a large fine was imposed for participation in a cartel in public road tenders.
- Acted for Sportingbet plc in a claim for unfair competition filed by Spanish gambling company Codere against the client and five of its subsidiaries, asking for compensation of €23m.
Simmons & Simmons has expertise in acting for domestic and international banks, notably in litigation matters related to European law. Andrés Mochales is active in the financial institutions sector, with a particular focus on financial litigation. He co-leads the practice with the ‘rigorous and prudent’ Fernando Aizpún, who has experience in civil and criminal procedures and specialises in arbitration law related to business issues.
‘Dedication to each case’
‘100% reliability of the advice provided and 24/7 availability’
‘They will always provide me with the most reasonable and convenient solution for any disputes’
‘Fernando Aizpun has extensive legal knowledge in civil and commercial matters’
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria S.A.
Fondo de Garantía de Depósitos en Entidades de Crédito
Sociedad de Gestión de Activos Procedentes de la Reestructuración Bancaria (SAREB)