Health in South West
Bevan Brittan LLP’s ‘excellent’ market-leading health practice stands out for its assistance to an impressive number of NHS providers and commissioners, as well as other clients, such as independent health sector organisations and community health partnerships. The team advises on regulation, commissioning, integrated care systems and accountable care organisation, partnering arrangements, PFI variations and disputes, and business development strategies abroad. As head of the commercial health practice, Sharon Renouf handles procurements of outsourced services, and assists trusts with establishing internal subsidiaries and shared service arrangements. Rosemary Jago’s practice focuses on public private partnership (PPP) procurements. Vincent Buscemi advises on primary, community and secondary care, as well as pharmaceutical services.
2gether NHS Foundation Trust
Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust
Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust
University College London NHS Foundation Trust
- Advising 2gether NHS Foundation Trust/ Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust on their proposed statutory merger by way of acquisition.
- Acting for Barts Health NHS Trust on all of its property and the majority of its commercial matters.
- Advising Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust on its options regarding procurement, finance and solutions in terms of refurbishment or relocation of its main site.
- Advising Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust on its acquisition of a primary care practice in order to help achieve its vertical integration aspirations.
- Acted for University College London NHS Foundation Trust on the terms for the outsourcing of its outpatient pharmacy services, by tender, to Lloyds Pharmacy.
DAC Beachcroft LLP assists clients with all types of sector-specific issues, such as clinical risk and negligence, healthcare regulation and social care. In addition, it offers additional expertise in corporate and commercial, data protection and employment matters. Nigel Montgomery, who heads up the health sector practice nationally, has more than 25 years of clinical negligence experience; he is a particular expert in group actions and catastrophic injuries. Corinne Slingo leads the advice on healthcare regulation. Legal director Alison Martin is knowledgeable about issues associated with the procurement of health services. At the end of 2018, Jonny Landau departed to pursue a career as a barrister.
‘A first-class health team which provides healthcare advice of unsurpassed quality, which is also at a very reasonable price’
‘The teams working on clinical risk and healthcare regulation are very approachable and always available for advice when needed’
‘The team truly understands the specifics in its clients’ service and the difficulties that they face on the market’
‘The firm retains great solicitors, which fosters a great team spirit which the client can feel’
Marie Stopes International
NHS Foundation Trust
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
- Successfully defended NHS Resolution in a mental health case before the Master of the Rolls at the Court of Appeal.
- Represented Marie Stopes International during a high-profile inquest into the death of an Irish patient who had travelled to England for medical services.
- Assisting a NHS Foundation Trust with matters regarding a key inspection by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
- Successfully defended a NHS Foundation Trust against an employment claim alleging unfair constructive dismissal.
- Advised a mental health service provider on its acquisition of a provider of services for people with learning disabilities and complex illnesses.
Active across the whole healthcare sector, Lester Aldridge LLP's team stands out nationally for its notable expertise in health and social care regulation. Its varied client base includes NHS organisations, care homes and agencies, supported living services, children’s homes and specialist learning disability and mental health providers. The health team is regularly instructed by equity funds and lenders on high-value transactions. Another pillar of the practice involves representing clients during regulatory investigations, as well as professional misconduct and criminal proceedings; Laura Guntrip is a key contact in this space. Peter Grose heads up the team, which also includes Susan Cowan.
‘Highly regarded on the local market‘
Lifeways Community Care
National Fostering Agency
Registered Nursing Home Association
Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
The Kent Autistic Trust
National Care Association
Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Medical Health NHS Trust
- Defending a care home operator against an enforcement decision by the Care Quality Commission to cancel the provider’s registration due to non-compliance with the with the relevant regulations.
- Representing a nurse during ongoing proceedings before the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) questioning her fitness to practice.
- Advising a national care provider on a situation in which a resident has gained a placement in a care home based on fraudulent information provided to the provider.
- Assisting a national care provider with regulatory due diligence in respect of the proposed sale of a large national corporate provider.
- Defended a company director in the course of a CQC criminal investigation seeking to prosecute the company and the director.
The healthcare group at VWV focuses on acting for GP practices, for whom it advises on all types of partnership arrangements, acquisitions and disposals, leases, employment and health and safety issues, and partnership disputes. It also generates work from other clients, including dentists, vets and pharmacists. Ben Willis specialises in healthcare development work and funding. Willis jointly heads up the practice with the 'very knowledgeable and pleasant' Oliver Pool, who focuses on GP partnerships and mergers.
Ben Willis; Oliver Pool
‘Highly competent experts in the healthcare sector‘
‘The team is very good in handling NHS matters for clients‘
‘Each partner makes a client feel like a priority‘
Trowbridge Health Centre Partnership
32 GP practices across Bristol, South Gloucestershire and Gloucestershire
The Lewisham Care Partnership
Mendip Vale Medical Group/ Mendip Batch Medical
Clark Avenue Surgery
East Norfolk Medical Practice
- Acting for two GP practices in their development of a new purpose-built surgery.
- Acting for 32 GP practices in Bristol, South Gloucestershire and Gloucestershire on new leases with NHS Property Services Ltd.
- Acting for Platinum Health on the large merger of nine GP practices in Cheshunt.
- Acted on the merger of five GP practices to form one super-partnership called The Lewisham Care Partnership.
- Assisting Clark Avenue Surgery with the drawing up of a new partnership agreement.
Browne Jacobson LLP's fast-growing healthcare offering encompasses health and social care work. Its practice notably stands out in relation to regulatory matters, as well as litigation and investigations, where matters often involve issues such as abuse and negligence, obligations arising from the duty of care, and confidentiality/data protection breaches. The ‘extremely knowledgeable’ Mark Barnett handles clinical negligence claims for the NHS, including cases brought against mental health providers.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very approachable as well as very efficient in responding to queries and concerns in an extremely timely manner’
‘Every team member is extremely helpful and lovely to work with’
‘The team has great expertise in clinical negligence matters’
‘Although the team is relatively new in the region, it is one of the best in the sector’
‘Mark Barnett provides invaluable legal advice and always completes a task to an excellent standard’
‘Associate Becky Wyld is always helpful and communicates in a way that is easy to understand’
NHS Kernow Clinical Commissioning Group
South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Dorset Clinical Commissioning Group
Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Devon Partnership NHS Trust
- Advised NHS Kernow Clinical Commissioning Group on the possibility of judicial review proceedings in respect of the care package provided to a disabled boy.
- Representing Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust in a complex Court of Protection matter.
- Advising Dorset CCG and ICS on its new constitution with the aim of aligning it with the new model constitution adopted nationwide.
- Acted for NHS Kernow Clinical Commissioning Group on an application to Court of Protection concerning a service user who had entered a suicide pact with his wife.
Deighton Pierce Glynn
At Deighton Pierce Glynn, health-related work is handled by its public law team, which regularly acts for claimants such as private individuals, non-governmental organisations and community organisations. Adam Hundt is a standout litigator, who focuses on handling judicial reviews, discrimination challenges and strategic public law cases. He has developed a niche specialism in access to healthcare for migrants. Another notable individual is Frances Lipman, who also represents migrants in health-related matters.
Adam Hundt; Daniel Carey; Frances Lipman
Hope for Justice
All Party Parliamentary Group on Drones
Big Brother Watch
Bahrain Institute for Rights a Democracy
Asylum Support Appeals Project
Doctors of the World
Bristol Refugee Rights
- Acted for the claimant on a test case challenging the legality of certain NHS regulations.
- Acted for the claimant on a case challenging the legality of the NHS Blood and Transplant Directions 2005.
- Handled an inquest concerning a catastrophic injury suffered by a vulnerable individual whilst detained in a care home for people with learning difficulties.
Osborne Clarke’s life sciences and healthcare team mostly acts for private and third sector organisations, as well as NHS trusts. Its expertise spans a wide range of matters, such as healthcare PPP and PFI projects, NHS energy efficiency projects, social care accommodation and general work for lenders in the healthcare sector. Simon Hancock utilises ‘his very sensible and realistic approach’ in advising on projects, infrastructure and outsourcing procurements. Likewise, procurement work in the healthcare sector is a field of specialisation for ‘top-class, well respected lawyer’ Catherine Wolfenden.
Simon Hancock; Janita Good
Other key lawyers:
Universal Health Services
Imtech Low Carbon Solutions
- Advising Gama Healthcare on numerous NHS tenders, including successfully challenging award decisions, as well as acting on tenders in certain EU markets.
- Acting for EE on a £1.2bn project to provide a next-generation communication system for the ambulance service and other emergency services.
- Advised Imtech Low Carbon Solutions on three energy services agreements with Sheffield Children’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.
- Advising Grifols on its responses to NHS procurements for blood-testing technology.
- Advising PegasusLife on all aspects of the client’s retirement living property portfolio.