Bevan Brittan LLP covers the full spectrum of healthcare work, with expertise in commercial contracts, mental health law and infrastructure projects. The firm also has experience advising on multi-disciplinary legal, regulatory and consultancy issues, as well as patient-related matters including inquests and criminal proceedings. Sharon Renouf leads the practice and specialises in procurements for NHS clients. Also notable in the team are Rosemary Jago, who focuses on funding health and social facilities through contracting with the private sector; David Owens, who advises NHS trusts and clinical commissioning groups on a range of governance and power issues; Vincent Buscemi, who is head of the firm’s independent health and social care practice; and associate Anna Davies, who has particular strength in mental health commissioning, NHS continuing health care and personal health budgets.
Health in South West
North Bristol NHS Trust
NHS Devon CCG
Yeovil Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Taunton & Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Royal United Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Norfolk and Norwick University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Barnet Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust
Royal Papworth NHS Foundation Trust
Leeds Teaching NHS Trust
Barts Health NHS Trust
- Advising Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust on the redevelopment of the Leeds General Infirmary.
- Advising Barts Health NHS Trust on the £500m redevelopment of Whipps Cross Hospital and the associated work to deal with Barts’ surplus land.
- Assisting Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust with the contract management of its PFI scheme.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
Experienced in providing legal advice to the health and social care sector, DAC Beachcroft LLP’s broad practice covers a range of services, including corporate, commercial, regulatory, clinical negligence and medical malpractice matters, as well as healthcare matters related to employment, real estate and tax. The firm also acts for independent sector clients and independent mental health providers. The team is co-led by Nigel Montgomery, Matthew McGrath, Corinne Slingo, Udara Ranasinghe, Stephen Hocking and Stan Campbell. Also notable are clinical negligence expert Hannah Volpe and Rachel Roberts-Jenkins, who acts for the NHS, MDU and a number of insurers.
‘This a great health team with a wealth of experience.’
‘Hannah Volpe is an excellent lawyer who goes the extra mile for the NHS Trusts which she represents.’
The Medical Defence Union
United Hospitals Bristol Trust
Gloucester Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
North Bristol NHS Trust
Zurich Global Corporate
Bermuda Hospital Board
Northern Devon NHS Trust
- Successfully defended South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust against multiple claims for unlawful deductions from wages.
- Successfully defended a claim for Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust before the Master of the Rolls at the Court of Appeal.
- Advised University Hospitals Bristol on its proposed acquisition of Weston Area Health NHS Trust.
Specialising in care home-related work, Lester Aldridge LLP also advises charities, GPs and GP practices on a range of healthcare matters. The firm’s expertise includes due diligence, professional disciplinary matters and the regulation governing charities, as well as acquisitions and sales in the sector. Laura Guntrip leads the team and focuses on healthcare regulatory matters, safeguarding issues and criminal matters affecting care providers.
Registered Nursing Homes Association
Hampshire Care Association
- Represented the Graham Care Group in a lengthy, protracted inquest.
VWV acts for a range of healthcare providers including dentists, vets, care homes and pharmacists, with a particular focus on GP practices. The firm has experience in partnership agreements, mergers and the formation of GP super-partnerships. In addition, the practice advises on employment, regulatory, and health and safety matters, as well as disputes. Property expert Ben Willis is known for GP surgery development work, and assisting with funding, freehold and leasehold matters. He co-leads the practice with Oliver Pool, who specialises in partnerships.
‘They are experts and very flexible’
‘Ben Willis, Rebecca Beardsley and Gemma Pouncy are excellent and a pleasure to deal with’
‘The VWV medical team comprises a number of individuals that between them provide all the specialist expertise required to advise GP practices in a time of great change’
‘It is rare to find such a comprehensive set of skills within one team’
‘Oliver Pool has a very direct approach to getting the most from CCGs when practices are working with them to take over practices in difficulty. He also has a very effective approach to dealing with practice mergers’
‘Mark Jarvis probably has the most detailed knowledge of the technical details of the various NHS styles of contract’
Pier Health Group
Chiddenbrook and New Valley Surgery
Warwick Gates Family Health Centre
Bournemouth East Collaborative PCN
Bethesda Healthcare Limited
Mendip Vale Medical practice
Tyntesfield Medical Practice
Pioneer Medical Practice
Bridge View Medical Practice
- Acted for Pier Health Group in relation to six practices in Weston-super-Mare that merged to form a single super-partnership.
- Acted for Chiddenbrook & New Valley Surgery in a matter related to the joint acquisition of development land from Tesco by two GP practices and the development, by way of a joint venture between the two practices, of a major new GP surgery in Devon.
- Representing Warwick Gates Family Health Centre in a matter related to its development and substantial extension.
Ashfords LLP has a ‘first-class healthcare offering', acting for NHS and independent sector clients. The 'knowledgeable’ practice focuses on healthcare services providers, advising social and affordable housing landlords and local authorities on social care provision, as well as acting for early-stage digital health companies. The team is co-led by Jocelyn Ormond, who joined from Simmons & Simmons in 2019 and brings an ‘in-depth knowledge of healthcare from all angles’, and legal director Ben Tarrant, who joined from Thrings LLP in 2019 and provides ‘first-class service’.
‘What makes Ashfords unique is their ability to quickly understand our business and the challenges that we face on a daily basis’
‘Vanessa James and Jenny Marley understand our business and the challenges that we have. Vanessa, in particular, has been very helpful in understanding the requirements of our senior management team’
‘Jocelyn Ormond has that great combination of being legally rigorous without being overly complicated. He also gets things done expediently and is a real pleasure to work with’
‘Ben Tarrant has always been thorough in his advice and very approachable’
‘Ashfords has provided an effective service, especially in terms of understanding some of the more tricky issues that we have been confronted with in terms of land registration’
‘Ben Tarrant was a pleasure to work with, very knowledgeable and responsive’
‘What I’ve really appreciated is the attention to detail and hands-on approach’
Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
Devon Partnership NHS Trust
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Developing Health and Independence
- Advising The Medical, a multi-disciplinary health clinic in 20 locations nationwide, in connection with its property acquisition and management work.
- Advising the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters.
- Advising Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust on its specialist supply contractors and minor works framework agreement covering a range of planned and reactive works across the Trust’s three main hospitals.
Full-service firm Browne Jacobson LLP specialises in clinical commissioning group (CCG) mergers, integrated care systems and fit-for-purpose-facilities matters. The practice also provides expertise in digital technology and judicial review work, particularly in relation to disputes between local authorities and the NHS. Simon Tait co-leads the team with Mark Barnett, who focuses on health and social care, as well as being an experienced litigator.
‘This team delivers a prompt, attentive and accurate service to the client from beginning to end’
‘They deliver practical solutions for our organisation with an individual personal service and I would recommend them highly to other healthcare organisations’
‘Mark Barnett, Neil Ward, Ben Bentley, Luke Berry and Claire Bridgman are all outstanding in their fields for their skill, knowledge and overall supportiveness’
Dorset County Hospital NHS FT
South Western Ambulance Service NHS FT
NHS Somerset CCG
NHS Dorset CCG
NHS Devon CCG
Torbay & South Devon NHS FT
Devon Partnership NHS Trust
NHS Kernow CCG
- Represented Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in a two-day inquest relating to the death of a patient.
- Advising Dorset County Hospital on guidance for providers where a mother may lack capacity in respect of obstetric care.
- Represented South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust in a three-week Article 2 inquest.
The ‘knowledgeable and approachable’ multi-disciplinary practice at Burges Salmon LLP advises on M&A, finance and dispute resolution in the healthcare sector, with particular expertise in healthcare procurement and social care real estate matters. Legal director Patrick Parkin leads the team and is a commercial contracts and regulatory lawyer specialising in the healthcare industry.
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the firm’s key strengths is their ability to work as a team, amongst themselves and with you as a client’
‘Burges Salmon are the best firm I’ve worked with for genuinely acting like they are an extension of the in-house team’
‘Their approach is commercial and pragmatic’
‘Patrick Parkin makes a huge amount of effort to keep his finger on the pulse of what is happening in the healthcare sector’
‘The team are cohesive in their approach with good communication between the respective departments’
‘A very responsive, professional and experienced team, giving up-to-date and relevant advice on a number of topics’
‘Patrick Parkin and Sam Charkham were extremely knowledgeable, responsive and up-to-date with current NHS issues’
Department of Health and Social Care
Optegra Eye Healthcare
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Synergy Health (UK) Limited (a subsidiary of STERIS plc)
University of Oxford and Vaccine Manufacturing Innovation Centre
- Advised the Department of Health and Social Care on the procurement of three contracts to allow for the continued supply of medicines and medical devices to the NHS and other healthcare providers from mainland Europe post-Brexit.
- Advised US-based Steris, a provider of infection prevention and other procedural products and services, on its acquisition of UK-based Diagmed Healthcare Limited.
- Advised Somerset Care Limited on completing the refinance of the company’s banking facility from Lloyds Bank plc to Barclays Bank plc.
The ‘competent and responsive’ Osborne Clarke acts primarily for private and third sector clients who provide a range of services to healthcare providers. The firm gives ‘exceptionally good advice’ on healthcare PPP/PFIs, NHS outsourcing and procurement, social care accommodation projects and M&A in the sector. The team is co-led by Will James, who joined from Marks & Clerk LLP in 2019, and Simon Hancock, who advises on healthcare-related projects, infrastructure and outsourcing procurements. Also notable is the ‘highly respected’ Catherine Wolfenden, who is head of the firm's regulatory group and ‘one of the top people in her field’.
‘The OC team work very closely with us’
‘They have a clear understanding of our concerns, priorities and vision’
‘Catherine Wolfenden has provided robust and considered advice, support and training when required. She works very long hours and has been known to contact us just before boarding a plane to make sure we are up to speed’
‘Catherine Wolfenden makes you feel comfortable navigating your way through the highly complex legal jungle’
‘It doesn’t matter if it’s a major issue like a claim form or a small piece of advice, I find I get the same professional, friendly support’
‘Kate Davies is always on hand, talks through matters in a language that is easy to understand, and provides us with full and timely support. She has drafted many letters on our behalf and secured favourable outcomes, finding the balance between making the legal points but allowing room for sensible negotiation’
‘The team understand our business and are essentially part of our bid team’
GAMA Healthcare Limited
Universal Health Services Inc
Imtech Low Carbon Solutions Limited
Colony Capital REIT
- Acting for EE on the £900m Home Office Emergency Services Network project to provide a next generation communication system for the ambulance service and other emergency services.
- Assisting GAMA Healthcare Limited with bidding for high-value NHS framework agreements across the UK.
- Advised the management team of a property holding company backed by a portfolio of investors led by Centerbridge Partners LP on the $2bn sale of its real estate assets to US-based Medical Properties Trust, Inc.
Stephens Scown LLP
Acting primarily for healthcare providers, Stephens Scown LLP’s clients include GP practices, primary care networks and care home groups. The firm has an increasing focus on integrated health and social care, as well as healthtech work. Helen Wallwork leads the team and acts for a range of healthcare sector businesses.
‘They have been very responsive when we had an issue which needed a timely response. They clearly understand the sector we are involved in and the rules and regulations which apply. The advice given was clear, understandable and timely. Clear heads were kept, where we were under pressure due to the circumstances, which was extremely helpful.’
‘Helen Wallwork and Laura Britton helped support us through some serious concerns, keeping level headed and focused on the areas raised. They had a very good understanding of the regulations involved and the legal aspects.’
Phoenix Learning & Care Holdings Limited
Kernow Health CIC
Cornwall Air Ambulance Trust
Cornwall Animal Hospital
Kernow Health Solutions Limited
Tre’ Care Group
- Assisting Kernow Health with a variety of commercial and governance matters, including its contractual arrangements with a digital platform provider and support with the delivery arrangements for GPs following the introduction of the new primary care networks.
- Advised vendor shareholders on the share sale of a multi-site veterinary practice business.
- Acted for Project Francis in the sale of a family-owned pharmacy business to a larger provider.