TMT: local firms in South Korea
Bae, Kim & Lee LLC's team have a 'deep understanding in the technology-based industry, such as fintech and blockchain services', with additional expertise in the regulatory side of telecoms, broadcaster, data privacy and IT networks. Prominent lawyers include Ji Yeon Park for telecom and broadcast regulation, as well as e-commerce and online media issues; Joon Yong Park, Sang Jik Lee and Yangho OH for data security regulation and Jong-Baek Park for fintech, cryptocurrency and software licensing. Kwang Hyun Ryoo leads the practice.
Kwang Hyun Ryoo
‘The team have a deep understanding of the technology-based industry, such as fintech and blockchain services.’
KT Corp. (Korea Telecom)
Uber Technologies Inc.
- Advised Hancom in its efforts to remain in compliance with licensing or copyright regulations in its provision of open source software to the public.
- Advising Bytedance Ltd., the Korean subsidiary of Tik Tok Pte. Ltd., in relation to its one-on-one English online video lecturing service in Korea for children aged between 4 and 12.
Kim & Chang acts for a diverse range of clients, ranging from broadcasting and telecommunications companies, hardware and software, online service providers to online game developers and e-commerce businesses. Its team 'has insights into the relevant industry areas and government practice, allowing them to provide guidance that is not just based on the law but also practice'. Key figures in the sizeable team include practice head Dong Shik Choi, Min Chul Park, Brian Oh and Seong-Hyeon Bang.
Dong Shik Choi
Softbank Vision Fund
TMT is a core area of practice for Lee & Ko, where the team continue to be involved in the regulatory side; advising on the establishment of legislation and regulatory guidelines aimed at promoting data economy, artificial intelligence, and big data. The practice also has notable expertise across a range of IT, telecom, media, fintech, data privacy and litigation. Department head Soon-Yub Samuel Kwon advises on various corporate, investment and commercial transaction, while Kwang Bae Park has a particular focus on issues arising in the telecom services, media, Internal portal services, open-market platforms, and online advertising. Hwan Kyoung Ko, Ju Bong Jang and Hyunjun Kim are also of note.
Soon-Yub Samuel Kwon
‘Lee & Ko offers the best value for money in Korea.’
Hyundai Motor Company and Kia Motors Corporation
Shinhan Financial Group
- Assisted Audi Volkswagen Korea in the launch Audi’s Connected Car service
- Assisted with the upgrading of Korean Air’s IT system using AWS.
- Advised on the transfer of SIEK’s PlayStation Network service business to Sony Interactive Entertainment in Japan.
- Advised ZEST CNT in the introduction of trade-mining structure in cryptocurrency market.
Yulchon's cross-practice TMT offering comprises practitioners from the firm's broader corporate and finance, administrative, IP, antitrust and regulatory departments. The group is known for working on mandates involving particularly innovative technologies such as big data, artificial intelligence (AI), fin-tech and alternative payment methods. Major names in the telecommunications and media spaces, such as SK Telecom and SBS Media, also feature on the firm's enviable roster. Practice head Doil Son regularly represents these entities. Regulatory specialist Sun Hee Kim is also recommended, as is administrative law expert Seung-Min Lee.
Electronic Arts Korea
Oculus VR LLC
Korea Cable TV Association (KCTA)
Hennes & Mauritz AB (“H&M”)
Ant Financial (affiliate of Alibaba)
SBS Media Holdings
- Represented SK Broadband on its acquisition of t-broad.
- Advised Electronic Arts Korea on legal issues involved in distributing FIFA 19, Apex Legends, Battlefield and Sims 4 in Korea.
- Represented KCTA in persuading the KCC to issue a public notice on the limitations to promotional gifts provided with bundled TV-telecommunication product.
- Advised CMB on its restructuring and merger transaction.
- Advised Oculus on self-rating operator designation by Korea’s Game Rating and Administration Committee.
The TMT team at Shin & Kim is 'unique because it provides truly comprehensive advice based on individuals' technical understanding of the industry'. Major Korean players across all three strands of TMT regularly instruct the firm, including Kakao, KT Corporation and NS Homeshopping. The group has a particularly notable expertise in telecommunications, with practice head Sinook Kang boasting a historical track record of involvement in some of the most significant M&A transactions in this sector. Kang's current practice also compasses contentious work. Deep regulatory insight is another hallmark of the group; key practitioner June Young Jang is the name to note on this front. Also recommended are associates Kyu Hong Park and Jung-Hyun Hwang. Hwang has 'an impressive degree of experience in mergers of broadcasting and telecommunications operators'. The firm continued to develop its practice with multiple recent hires.
‘The team not only provides a competent interpretation of the law, but also provides a solution that balances regulatory requirements with what would be most commercially viable for the client‘.
‘Shin & Kim has an excellent understanding of the TMT industry. In addition to the exceptionally high-quality service, its legal fees are not excessive compared to some other leading firms. The team comprises former experts from the government, the National Assembly and government-funded research institutions so they are able to provide accurate analysis and answers to issues based on their prior experience‘.
‘The advice of Sinook Kang was highly pragmatic and just what we needed‘.
‘The firm has a lot of leading experts in the field and is a reliable source for advice on key policy issues with regard to broadcasting and telecommunications especially‘.
‘Sinook Kang, June Young Jang, Kyu Hong Park and associate Jung-Hyun Hwang all possess a deep understanding of the regulatory landscape and give highly practical advice‘.
Personal Information Protection Commission
NS Homeshopping (Harim Group)
BMW Financial Service Korea
Volkswagen Financial Service Korea
National IT Promotion Agency
- Represented SK Broadband on its response to the Korea Communications Commission’s fact-finding investigations regarding the corrective order to improve the company’s service cancellation process.
- Spin off of Kakao Commerce on its spin-off from Kakaotalk.
- Provided legal advice to the Personal Information Protection Commission regarding whether the Ministry of Employment and Labor’s Youth Job-Searching Activities Support Fund Project violated laws and regulations regarding personal information.
- Advised SkyLife TV on the sale of three channels.
- Representing Tbroad in an administrative investigation regarding an alleged violation of the Broadcasting Act.
Focusing largely on TMT- related litigation, Jipyong represents clients on product liability issues, intellectual property rights, including copyright, trade mark rights, unfair competition prevention and trade secret protection. The team are also able to advise on regulatory issues, M&A and investment transactions. Key partners include practice head Soyoung Lee, Chang Ik Sung, and Mun Hui Kim.
So Young Lee
GoodChoice (O2O lodging service provider)
Yong Film, Inc.
- Advised the Korean Fair Trade Commission in a lawsuit initiated by Qualcomm, defeating Qualcomm’s request for revocation of the penalties of about KRW 273.1bn the KFTC imposed for Qualcomm’s abusing of market dominance.
- Advised BH Entertainment on its equity investment with Kakao M.
- Advised Yong Film on production of movies scheduled to be released by NEW in 2019, “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee” and “Call”.
- Advising on Monster Union’s production of dramas, including ‘School Nurse Ahn Eun-Young’ to be released through Netflix, and KBS dramas ‘Are You Human’ and ‘Best Divorce’.
Key areas of expertise for Yoon & Yang LLC's TMT group include e-commerce, online gaming, IT regulatory and compliance, data privacy, media and advertisement. Keun Woo Lee and Bo Hyun Lee are the lead partners.
Keun Woo Lee
Other key lawyers:
‘Y&Y has strength in corporate matters for Korean companies. They provide prompt and precise information related to corporate matters in Korea and they are available to provide English translation at the same time.’
‘Lawyer Lee Gwangwook is a specialist in Korean corporate matters.’
Korea Broadcasting System (KBS)
Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC)
Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS)
- Advising on privacy laws related advice for Heineken Korea.
- Advising on privacy laws related advice for Galderma Korea.
- Advising on privacy law compliance for Nestle Korea.
- Representing SK Broadband in a lawsuit in which the SO (System Operator) in the region of Busan filed against SK Broadband claiming for the payment of the Internet Private Network.