Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40 in South East
BDB Pitmans advises individual and corporate clients from a wide variety of sectors but has a particular focus on IT disputes, including supply and software licensing. Tim Clark leads the team and is 'extremely knowledgeable in his field', specialising in company law related claims, partnership, shareholder and unfair prejudice disputes. Phil Smith specialises in commercial litigation, acting on a wide range of contractual and tortious claims. David Gwillim leads the contentious construction and engineering practice.
‘Tim Clark is an excellent litigator- calm under fire and extremely knowledgeable in his field, which includes franchising related matters.’
‘I have found working with the BDB Pitmans team to be a consistent, great pleasure. They are an excellent, responsive team that provides a City of London service.’
‘Very hands on and excellent attention to detail.‘
‘They really care about the lay client.’
XMA Limited No
Karali Group Limited
Clarify Solution Selling Ltd
30 Global Net Limited
Ultima Business Solutions Limited
Global Wealth Management Solutions LLP
- Acted for Symantec in a large Commercial Court dispute between McAfee and DSG Retail Limited.
- Acted for the minority shareholder in AMT Coffee Ltd in an unfair prejudice claim.
- Acted for MTD Contractors Ltd in relation to the construction of the Nobu Hotel in Shoreditch.
Blake Morgan LLP's large team uses its diverse range of specialisms to act for national and international business clients on a full range of commercial disputes, including professional negligence, contentious probate and trust disputes and Privy Council agency for foreign law firms. Sector specialisms include construction and the firm also advises on insolvency-related disputes. 'Highly experienced' Chris Potts leads the practice and has particular expertise in shareholder disputes, company disputes and fraud. Nicola Diggle, recently appointed legal director, advises on IT and software disputes. Property litigation partner Zoe Wright joined from Shoosmiths LLP in 2019.
‘Great strength in giving commercial advice to clients on their options and a practical hands-on approach to resolving their disputes.’
Investec Asset Finance
CAP HPI and Audatex group of companies
Miele Company Limited
Hitachi Capital UK Plc
- Acted for a shareholder and director of AMT Coffee Limited, in a long-running shareholder dispute/unfair prejudice claim.
- Advised an NHS clinical commissioning group in a £7.6m claim to enforce a parent company guarantee against a Hong Kong entity.
- Advised a UK liquidator in respect to various court proceedings in the UK, Curacao and Bermuda, relating to multi-million pound claims.
One of the leading dispute resolution teams in the region, Clarkslegal LLP advises high-profile clients from the automotive, education and technology sectors on a complete range of contentious matters. Practice head Antony Morris is a 'very good commercial litigator'; he frequently engages in cross-border work and focuses his practice on professional negligence, commercial contract disputes and international trade issues. Christopher Tayton advises on IT, intellectual property and product liability matters. Stephen James and associate Emma Butcher are other key figures.
‘Chris Tayton is very good, thorough and professional at his job.’
‘Personal attention and good professional service.’
‘I have been instructed by Antony Morris in professional liability cases. He has great intelligence, a fine judgement of the realities of litigation, good judgement, he is efficient and very easy to work with.’
CenturyLink (formerly Level 3 Communications)
Elements Materials Technology
Coffey International Development
JDM Technology Group
University of Reading
CAB Automotive Limited
Crown Packaging UK plc
- Advised a client in relation to a claim being made against him by SKAT, the Danish tax authority.
- Advised on a multi-party professional negligence and breach of escrow agreement claim.
- Acted for Axis Fleet Management Limited in High Court Proceedings.
Osborne Clarke acts for large multinational corporations from the technology, telecoms, automotive, and life science sectors on a variety of contentious issues. Particular specialisms include director or shareholder disputes, warranty and misrepresentation claims and corruption issues. Peter Sheppard leads the practice and frequently handles cross-border work. Jane Park-Weir joined from Norton Rose Fulbright in 2019 and brings expertise in joint ventures and limited liability partnerships. Dawn Troman acts for a range of clients in complex technology disputes. Kristian Assirati and Scott Butler are recommended.
Oracle Corporation UK Limited
LDC (Lloyds Development Corporation)
Wireless Logic Group
Content Guru/Redwood Technologies Group
Hyundai Motor UK Limited
Epicor Software (UK) Limited
James Walker Group
BETC London Limited/Havas SA
Mascolo Group/Toni & Guy
Online Auto Sales
West End Leisure Management (shareholder)
Born London Limited
Lemongrass Marketing Limited
Ridgeway Marketing Limited
SynApps Solutions Limited
Private Label Marketing
Black Swan Limited
G3 Communications Limited
James Walker Townson
Strategic Selection International
- Acted for Rovi in a breach of contract and licence dispute with ST Microelectronics.
- Acted for Wireless Logic Limited in relation to a multi-million agency claim by Red Squirrel.
- Acted for Redwood Technologies Limited and Content Guru Limited in relation to various matters including a dispute with Verita in relation to inaccurate reporting of an investigation report.
Shoosmiths LLP uses the diverse specialisms in its team to advise national and multi-national clients on a complete spectrum of contentious issues. Fleur Turrington leads the practice and focuses on contentious public procurement and judicial review . Stuart Little has expertise in the automotive, corporate and IT sectors and now heads the business advisory department nationally. Peter Eccles is noted for his abilities with commercial insurance issues - a particular specialism is policy cover disputes including breach of warranty, misrepresentation, non-disclosure and fraud.
‘Fleur Turrington is very commercial, responsive to her client’s needs and committed to finding a solution to her client’s problems. The team that she works within/manages is very professional.‘
Chubb European Group Limited
PSA Group (Vauxhall)
Federation of Sports and Play Providers
EagleBurgmann UK Limited
Calor Gas Limited
Hewlett Packard Limited
- Acted for a variety of international retail clients in relation to disputes with suppliers, partners and franchise holders across Europe.
- Acted for Chubb in a 5 day trial and subsequent appeal arising from the construction of a residential property in London.
- Advised a variety of suppliers to the public sector on procurement challenges and associated litigation.
Boyes Turner provides a 'good quality service' to corporate clients from a range of sectors on varied matters including intellectual property , professional negligence and partnership disputes. The team also assist individuals in trusts disputes involving fraud. Jonathan Grigg, who became managing partner in 2020, leads the practice and acts for large companies from the technology sector on matters with an international element. 'Outstanding' director Stephen Baker oversees many key client relationships and handles product liability and technology disputes. Adrian Griffiths departed in 2019.
‘Boyes Turner, particularly Stephen Baker, are great at understanding your business, your commercial needs and providing practical advice at reasonable rates. They often quote fixed fees for specific work. They’re of a sufficient size that they have expertise available in multiple areas and provide great quality advice and support.’
‘ Its solicitors are very dedicated and hard-working, adept at dealing with demanding clients and good at working in a team with counsel.‘
‘As a practice, they build a relationship with you, understand your business, and give practical advice: they’ll do the usual “here’s what the law says’ but they’re also very good at saying, “but in practice, we recommend…”. They’re great value for money – City quality advice, without the crazy fees.‘
‘Stephen Baker is the outstanding solicitor I have worked with at this firm. He is industrious, communicative, able to deal with demanding and difficult clients, and a real team player.‘
Auto Trader Ltd
Colt Group Ltd
Francis Construction Ltd
Gresham Technologies plc
Technology One UK Ltd
Viavi Solutions UK Ltd
Harrison Catering Services Ltd
Zimmer GmbH & Zimmer Biomet UK Ltd
Infor (United Kingdom) Limited
- Acted for Viavi (a US Based Global Tech Company) in defending a Part 8 claim in the High Court.
- Acted for a Global ERP company in a claim/counterclaim with a combined value of £6 million involving a distressed global fashion business.
- Acted for Zimmer Biomet in the defence of product liability claims concerning metal in metal hip devices.
The disputes team at Field Seymour Parkes LLP advises significant commercial clients from a variety of sectors. Tom Maple leads the practice and has expertise in the automotive and food sectors, managing relationships with key clients Volvo and Honda. Maple also handles complex professional indemnity claims and issues relating to sustainable fisheries. Bill Dixon is recommended for his work in cross-border disputes. The team also handles international arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
‘Professional, very good communication, very transparent.‘
‘Very dedicated. Very knowledgeable.‘
Whistl (formerly TNT)
Business Moves Group
- Advised various investors in film finance on claims against professional advisers in relation to failed film finance or tax schemes.
- Advised World Wise Foods Limited in relation to the Marine Stewardship Council’s standards and licencing of its sustainable eco-label.
- Advised a large automotive client on a dispute in relation to matters of comparative advertising, unfair trading regulations and malicious falsehood.
Freeths LLP advises SMEs, large multinational companies and insurance companies on contractual and commercial disputes in sectors including technology, retail, construction, logistics and education. Its client base spans Oxfordshire and beyond. The team also acts for individuals involved in shareholder or partnership disputes. The practice is led by Duncan Crine, who became an accredited civil and commercial mediator in 2019 and has vast experience in professional negligence and warranty disputes. Will Richmond-Coggan, who joined the firm in 2019, provides expertise in data protection and related issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Andrew Dashwood-Begg was very professional and efficient.‘
Virtual Alliance UK
Gardner Leader LLP provides 'legal expertise far above its station', advising a mix of private and corporate clients in corporate and commercial disputes as well as civil fraud. 'No-nonsense litigator' Chris Felton focuses on complex, multi jurisdiction litigation and international arbitration at a commercial and interstate level. Michelle Di Gioia advises on shareholder and director disputes. Alastair Goggins leads the disputes team, while Maidenhead-based senior associate Michael Axe is recommended. Noor Kadhim joined the firm in 2019 and brings rare expertise in contentious art law.
‘The personal touch of having a small practice which is transparent and quick to respond.‘
‘Chris Felton is a match for any City litigator.’
‘The team is very committed to the cases in which they are instructed. Somehow they always find the time to fully deal with and concentrate on the matters at hand. Cases are dealt with in a cost-conscious manner, regardless of the quantum involved.’
‘Michelle Di Gioia – great communicator and tactician with excellent clients‘
‘Chris Felton is an inventive and knowledgeable partner, who at all times is on top of his case.’
‘They punch above their weight in terms of the quality of work they undertake and their responsiveness is second to none.’
‘Michael Axe has an excellent knowledge of franchising, he also has a very commercial outlook and can match the legal aspects of the case with the requirements of the business.’
Managed Legal Solutions Limited
- Acted for a litigation funder in relation to a security for costs application.
- Acted in relation to an alleged breach of directors’ duties regarding the withdrawal of a patent application.
- Acted for a successful defendant in lifting an automatic suspension on the award of a contract for the rollout and delivery of a national perinatal mortality project.
White & Black Limited
Specialising in the technology sector, White & Black Limited's disputes team has a strong track record representing commercial clients and private individuals in licensing, data protection and intellectual property disputes, often with a major cross-border element. Victoria Wright leads the team and focuses on the most complex cases, notably major contractual and shareholder disputes.
‘Victoria Wright is extremely approachable and always on hand to provide sound legal advice that is always balanced against the commercial situation.’
‘A very responsive and approachable team, always taking a pragmatic approach.’
- Acted for the former owner of a prominent criminal legal aid firm in relation to proceedings arising from claims made by the purchasers.
- Acted for an individual in a dispute with the National House Building Council in respect of the breach of a settlement agreement.
Blandy & Blandy LLP handles a variety of disputes work for regional and national clients from both the public and private sector. Its work ranges from shareholder and director disputes through to contractual disputes and insolvency work. Philip D’Arcy heads the overall disputes practice. He has particular experience of disputes in the trust, probate and inheritance field as well as handling property-related disputes. Other key members of the practice include David Murray , who heads the commercial litigation and insolvency team, and Debbie Brett.
Perfetti Van Melle UK Limited
BEN – Motor & Allied Trades Benevolent Fund
Certikin International Limited
Englefield Estate Trust Corporation Ltd
University of Oxford
Cirrus Containments Limited
The Abbey School
Reading Blue Coat School
Bell Cornwell LLP
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP conducts large-scale complex litigation for business clients from industries including energy, retail and financial . The Oxford team is part of a wider national commercial dispute resolution practice led by Rustam Dubash from London. Former Oxford practice head Julie Bond, who is now a consultant, has particular expertise in regulatory compliance and corporate governance issues. Emma Davies advises on financial litigation including derivatives claims and data protection matters. Senior associate Ed Weightman specialises in energy regulatory matters.
‘The team at Pennington Manches Cooper LLP understood my issues swiftly and provided advice and backup promptly.‘
‘Emma Davies and James Groves were experienced and very helpful whilst being pragmatic.’
‘Knowledgeable and organised in their approach to the legal research.’
‘Ed Weightman was very responsive.’
Munroe K Ltd and Munroe K Luxembourg SA
- Advised Citizens Advice on consumer protection law and regulation for consumers engaging with the energy market.
- Advised on a complex fraud claim against Bank of Scotland Plc.
Brethertons LLP acts for clients in commercial contract litigation, defamation and malicious falsehood claims, injunction proceeding and data protection disputes. Shaun Jardine, Sioban Calcott and David Richards, both promoted to partner in 2019, are the main practitioners. The team also frequently collaborates with the firm's residential leasehold property specialists to advise on property litigation.
‘Very high level of specialist knowledge in probate, very active on social media with appropriate topical and relevant posts for lay people and other professionals. Very good customer service and attention to detail.’
Ivor Court Freehold Limited
- Acted for a defendant in a claim for damages for disrepair under the terms of lease.
Maier Blackburn LLP's boutique practice specialises in the contentious issues surrounding intellectual property, libel, media and entertainment law. Practice head Steven Maier is the key practitioner, and handles a range of commercial disputes including breach of commercial agreements, warranty claims and negligence.
The Tolkien Estate
Agatha Christie Limited
Simon & Schuster, Inc
Watership Down Enterprises
Oxford University Press
John Davies T/A ‘Jigletoes’
Wills & Trusts Chartered Financial Planners
Hive Cleaning Limited
The Cabling Company
- Acted for a well-known literary estate in a copyright dispute.
- Advised a toys supplier in the recovery of a domain name
- Acted for a financial planning consultancy in a dispute with a competitor concerning the copyright in marketing and seminar material.
- Acted for the Tolkien estate in a claim against an international pro-life organisation concerning the misuse of J R R Tolkien’s image and quotations from his works.
Spratt Endicott's disputes team works alongside other departments to advise large regional businesses and local private clients in insolvency, contentious probate, and banking and finance disputes. John Spratt leads the company commercial department, while associates Anis Waiz and Petra van Dijk are key practitioners. Former practice head David Whiting departed in 2019.
‘Petra van Dijk is my contact for a case we are dealing with. I found Petra to be efficient, knowledgeable and very supportive. This is our first big case which is likely to go to trial so we are going into the process blind. Petra has guided us through this process at every stage, which has been a huge help.’
‘The team have taken the time to understand our business and the legal requirements which are associated with the services we offer. The team are extremely approachable and willing to go above and beyond.‘
‘Anis Wais was highly adept at handling a fast developing commercial asset finance dispute and and associated injunctive relief; he draws on technical expertise in this area and good judgment in taking the right steps for clients to achieve the right commercial outcome.’