Shipping: local firms in Singapore
Allen & Gledhill LLP impresses with its strong bench strength and 'exceptional' full-service capabilities ranging from ship sale and purchases, fund raising, secured and unsecured vessel lending and leasing, domestic and international litigation and arbitration, carriage of goods and ship arrests, to restructuring and insolvency. Gina Lee-Wan and Kenny Yap jointly lead the team, acting on contentious and non-contentious shipping and offshore matters; Vivian Ang, Corina Song and Yap Yin Soon are the key figures for contentious claims concerning wet and dry shipping work, international sale of goods, charterparty disputes, ship repair and construction disputes.
Gina Lee-Wan, Kenny Yap
‘Allen & Gledhill is very practically oriented and gives advice very specific on the case. Furthermore, with the exceptional width of the firm it is able to give specific advice in all legal matters required. Also, through involvement in developing the laws in Singapore, A&G has in-depth knowledge regarding this aspect.‘
‘Gina Lee-Wan, is the most experienced and engaged lawyer in Singapore when it comes to maritime and shipping-related matters, especially finance. She always renders quick and in-depth practical advice.’
- Advised a specialist construction company on the sale of two drilling rigs, totalling $177.5m.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP has 'excellent breadth of expertise' in corporate shipping and finance, advising local and international ship financing banks, on bilateral and syndicated shipping loans. The sizeable team is also involved in major shipping insolvencies, ship arrests, charterparties and cargo claims and maritime casualties. Key figures include Toh Kian Sing, SC, who chairs the shipping and international trade practice, and Chua Choon King and Winston Kwek, who are key names for ship finance. Leong Kah Wah and Jainil Bhandari have extensive courtroom experience as counsel in maritime and trade arbitrations.
Toh Kian Sing, SC
‘They have excellent breadth of expertise across all sectors within the practice group. They are very responsive, and commercially minded in pursuing outcomes. Where the issues encroach into other practice areas, they are able to call upon expertise within the firm to assist, leading to cost- and time-efficiency.’
‘Toh Kian Sing impresses with his outstanding legal expertise and intimate industry knowledge. With the lead of this calibre, his chosen team are also of equal firepower.’
‘Toh Kian Sing, SC provides personal attention to detail, on every file, despite his seniority. Exceptional litigator with an ability to spot key issues / points / evidence that will turn a case.’
‘Leong Kah Wah is a very experienced wet specialist who is able to handle complex cases. Able to digest complicated circumstances and issue commercial and digestible advice.‘
DBS Bank Ltd
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited
PSA Corp Ltd
Itochu Singapore Pte Ltd
Marubeni International Petroleum (Singapore) Pte Ltd
UK P&I Club
Trafigura Pte Ltd
- Represented Dongbu Insurance Co Ltd, owners and/or demise charterers of Hanjin in a dispute arising out of a collision between the clients’ LNG carrier, and a bulk carrier in the westbound lane of the Singapore traffic separation scheme.
- Advising various financial institutions on the collapse of a Singapore-based bunker trader / supplier and its related companies with indebtedness in excess of $354m.
- Acting for Maersk Line A/S and its related companies in the Maersk group in claims totalling more than $16m arising from a significant oil spill at Tanjung Pelepas Port from the vessel Double Joy which impacted 20 vessels owned and/or operated by Maersk entities at berth and in the surrounding waters, resulting in significant loss and damage.
- Acting for the National Bank of Fujairah in pursuing multi-jurisdictional and multimillion-dollar recourse claims, following the collapse of a substantial commodities player.
- Acting for Link Harvest Enterprise Limited on its financing and strategic purchase of a 305,000 dwt VLCC to support the group’s bunkering operations in Singapore.
Asia Practice LLC
At Asia Practice LLC, Lee Chien Herr and Jonathan Tan frequently advise on all aspects of cross-border ship financing, restructuring transactions, work-outs as well as enforcement scenarios. Senior director Leon Low is the other figure to note for trade and commodities finance, ship sales and restructuring transactions.
Lee Chien Herr, Jonathan Tan
Other key lawyers:
- Advising a Chinese bank-affiliated leasing company on a $58.5m acquisition of six vessels.
- Assisting a Swiss bank with the restructuring of a $50m facility in relation to two Singapore-flagged vessels.
- Acting for a syndicate of banks in debt restructuring proceedings implemented by the borrower group in Singapore and the effect on its ship arrest proceedings taking place in another jurisdiction relating to defaults under a $40m ship financing facility.
- Advising a major international bank on vessel financing facilities extended to insolvent shipowning firms.
Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP's shipping team, which is led by Lawrence Teh and Janice Ngeow, handles a wide range of matters ranging from ship arrest, cargo claims, ship registration, ship financing and restructuring to international trade and commodities.
Lawrence Teh, Janice Ngeow
Navios Maritime Partners L.P.
Jacobus Johannes Roomans and Mariah Binte Mahat
Global Maritime Group AS and the ex-directors of Marine Contracting
Vinmar Overseas (Singapore) Pte Ltd
- Represented Skaugen against German engine manufacturers Man Diesel and Turbo (Germany) in a claim for c.$20m arising out of the fraud and deceit perpetuated by Man Diesel and Turbo against Skaugen.
- Acted as Singapore counsel for Navios on the acquisition of Rickmers Maritime Trust’s fleet of 14 container vessels.
- Advised a Singapore shipping company on the procurement of frigate vessels designed in Denmark and assembled in Singapore for the state navy.
- Advised Global Maritime Group AS and the ex-directors of Marine Contracting Pte Ltd on its placing into a creditors’ voluntary liquidation.
- Advising on the procurement of frigate vessels designed in Denmark and assembled locally for a state navy.
Joseph Tan Jude Benny LLP has an 'excellent grasp of wet and dry shipping issues', including trade finance, marine insurance, sale and purchase and casualty matters, and frequently handles advocacy before domestic and international arbitration forums concerning maritime-related matters. The practice retains a strong client base comprising of P&I Clubs, marine insurers, shipyards and shipowners, charterers and brokers. K. Murali Pany, John Sze and practice head Danny Chua are the key names.
‘The team have outstanding knowledge of their market, as well as an excellent grasp of the wet and dry shipping issues at play.’
‘Danny Chua understands how to run a case effectively.‘
Bank of Piraeus A.E.
Owners of Napa I vessel
Owners of the Atika vessel
Owners of the GS Spring vessel
Denko Trading Co., Ltd
Moratel International Pte. Ltd.
Fuk Hing Steamship Co., Ltd. PICC Property & Casualty Company Limited
Mackenzie Shipping Pte Ltd
- Acted for the owners of the Napa I vessel following a collision.
- Acted for Fuk Hing Steamship Co. Ltd. PICC Property & Casualty Company, a Chinese state-company, in a Singapore High Court action against Pacnet Network Ltd and Telstra Global Limited in a claim arising out of an incident concerning a cut cable.
Best known for its strong track record in international trade, maritime and commodities disputes, Morgan Lewis Stamford LLC represents shipowners, charterers, trading houses and P&I Clubs, among others, in high-value litigation before the Singapore courts and international arbitration forums. On the transactional side, key partner Wendy Tan also advises on supply chain agreements, oil and gas transactions, ship sales and purchases, and employment and insolvency issues.
Sinfeng Marine Services Pte Ltd
Viking & Offshore Marine Limited
ASL Marine Holdings Ltd.
First Ship Lease Trust, FSL Trust Management
- Advising Sinfeng Marine Services on issues arising out of the liquidation of Coastal Oil Singapore Pte Ltd.
- Successfully acted for Viking & Offshore Marine Limited in consolidated SIAC arbitrations arising out of land rigs bareboat charter agreements that were entered into as part of two related sale-and-leaseback transactions.
- Represented the owners of the vessel MV Patriot, which was arrested by Piraeus Bank in Singapore as security for claims on the financial agreement.
Oon & Bazul LLP
Oon & Bazul LLP counts major shipowners, shipping lines, operators, P&I Clubs, shipyards and builders, commodities houses and banks among its impressive roster of clients. The practice has a good balance of dry and wet shipping mandates, covering arrests and security guarantees, ship finance, trade, and marine insurance. Managing partner Bazul Ashhab and Kelly Yap are the lead partners.
Bazul Ashhab, Kelly Yap
Innovek Pte Ltd
Great Lakes Maritime Ltd
Jiang Xin Shipping Co Ltd
Shanghai Dingheng Shipping Co Ltd
North of England and Antoine Navigation
Gard and Tarrant Shipping Inc
- Acting for the demise charterers and operators of the bunker barge Luna, which was arrested by bunker suppliers in the wake of the insolvency of O.W. Bunker A/S and its subsidiaries.
- Advising the Great Lake Maritime as the purchasers of a vessel under a shipbuilding agreement.
- Represented the owners of the MV Gazi following a collision while the vessel was conducting discharging operations at a berth at the Chittagong port.
Virtus Law LLP - Stephenson Harwood (Singapore) Alliance houses 'a responsive team that offers quality advice with good value for money' and is able to leverage complementary expertise from its alliance with Stephenson Harwood. Colin Jarraw is experienced in high-value ship finance and leasing transactions, and also advises owners on ship sale and purchase transactions, charterparties, shipbuilding contracts and vessel registrations and de-registrations. Daryll Ng is the key partner for maritime disputes.
Daryll Ng, Colin Jarraw
‘A responsive team that offers quality advice with good value for money.’
‘Daryll Ng – stands out for his speed of response, commercial acumen and willingness to go the extra mile, while providing very good value for money.‘
ABN Amro Bank N.V.
Bank of China Limited
Bank of Communications Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
China Development Bank
Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
DVB Bank SE
DNB Bank ASA
- Assisting DNB Bank ASA, Singapore Branch and DNB Asia Ltd with the transfer of a loan portfolio back to the head office in Norway.
- Represented Viking Offshore & Marine Limited, a Singapore-listed company, and Viking Gold Pte Ltd in two High Court lawsuits concerning back-to-back charterparty disputes.
- Advising Danske Bank A/S on its $200m secured term-loan facility agreement to Stolt Tankers Limited.