Intellectual property in Serbia
Mikijelj Jankovic & Bogdanovic
Mikijelj Jankovic & Bogdanovic has extensive expertise in copyright, trade marks, patents and designs. Additional areas of focus are geographical indications, plant varieties and domain names. The team also regularly acts in IP litigation, opposition procedures and customs measures and other counterfeiting actions. Dejan Bogdanovic focuses on trade marks and patents, and is also a highly respected IP litigator; and Mara Jankovic currently serves on the INTA Famous and Well-Known Marks Committee, which deals with genericness issues. Katarina Radovic is a copyright infringement specialist and senior associate Lena Petrovic focuses on social networks.
Dejan Bogdanovic; Mara Jankovic
‘This is a special type of law firm that has knowledge of several laws of various countries, international documents and conventions and contracts. It is highly expert and dedicated to IP.‘
‘The team stands out for its professionalism, knowledge and value for money. The advisers answer all questions and concerns, and guide clients through processes painlessly. They also protect companies from fraudsters in the market.‘
‘This office is capable of coping with any case and solves all issues during litigation.‘
‘Dejan Bogdanovic is a great lawyer who solves problems that other law offices cannot. He is a real professional.‘
‘Dejan Bogdanovic is a great IP expert who has an excellent understanding of clients.‘
‘Dejan Bogdanovic is a specialist in the field of patent litigation. Just when clients think there is no solution, he finds a way to get the best result. His work is based on personal engagement in each case (with no additional costs), he is precise in his communication, responds quickly to any question, and always tries to minimises the cost of proceedings.‘
Procter & Gamble Company
STAR FRUITS DIFFUSION
Brevillier Urban & Sachs
Soko Stark doo Beograd
Sony Computer Entertainment
Kraft Foods Group
FLUX DESIGN PRODUCTS
- Advised Silbo doo, and its member company Paracinka Paracin, on the acquisition of the CIPIRIPI trade marks.
- Advised Brevillier Urban & Sachs on the assignment of the AERO trade mark and subsequent division of goods.
- Represents Soko Stark doo Beograd, a company member of the Atlantic Group, in a dispute involving infringement of the Cokoladna bananica trade mark.
Petoševic's Mihajlo Zatezalo is well known for its co-ordinating of cases involving multiple jurisdictions. The practice is widely respected for its representation in patent and trade mark prosecutions, enforcements and customs enforcements. It also fields non-contentious specialists. Mihajlo Zatezalo has over 20 years' IP experience; chief operations officer Predrag Anokić focuses on clearance, maintenance and enforcement issues for international trade mark portfolios; and office head Mirjana Živković oversees IP portfolios and enforcement programmes for large multinationals. Senior associate Ivan Matić is noted for his advice on the surveillance, seizure and destruction of counterfeit goods.
BDK Advokati AOD is particularly noted for IP law issues involving multinational companies from the international software, internet, and telecoms markets. It also has a leading data protection practice and is experienced in copyright, trade secrets and confidential information, and image rights. Bogdan Ivanišević is an IP specialist, and senior associate Milica Basta is a key data protection and privacy team member.
‘BDK Advokati has a longstanding data protection practice. It knows European data protection law inside out, which helps the team to draw from comparative experience in order to find creative solutions to challenging issues under Serbian data protection law.‘
‘The BDK team is professional, knowledgable and holds no information back -the experience is perfect.‘
‘Bogdan Ivanišević and Milica Basta are good at explaining complicated legal issues in simple terms and laying down the available options. Also, in their practical proposals, they make every effort to reconcile structures imposed by the law with the business priorities of companies.’
‘Bogdan Ivanišević leaves the highest impression – both from a professional and personal perspective.‘
Ivković group of companies
- Advised Google on a number of IP and data protection matters.
- Assisted BC Partners with the IP aspects of the €2.6bn acquisition of United Group.
- Advised Coca-Cola HBC on the IP issues surrounding its €263m acquisition of confectionery company, Bambi ad.
BOPA Bojanovic & Partners' breadth of practice covers copyright, advertisements, trade marks, patents, designs and representation before the regulatory authorities. Vladimir Bojanović's sector experience includes media and film.
‘BOPA Bojanovic and Partners fields a team of highly knowledgeable advisers.‘
‘The group advises on a number of amazing projects and has film industry expertise. It is capable of handling any IP matter.‘
‘The team provides clients with precise, direct and clear legal advice and directions. The lawyers in the firm are always instructive and their responsiveness is unmatchable.‘
‘They do lots of IP work. The industry specialists in the team make it the best there is – a premium law firm in all aspects.‘
‘It has an exceptional IP department, with industry experts that have considerable experience – they come highly recommended.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is a reliable and co-operative adviser, who has gathered around himself an excellent team of lawyers.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is a top adviser in this area.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is truly a top-level lawyer, who is highly responsive and client friendly.‘
Work in Progress
- Assisted Paramount Pictures with an agreement with a production company in Serbia, which included advising on copyright protection.
- Advised AMC Networks, a global television broadcasting company, on various IP issues, including the transfer and registration of trade marks.
- Advised Balkaneum on drafting and negotiating copyright agreements.
Karanovic & Partners assists with the obtaining of IP rights, as well as their maintenance, development, protection and exploitation. Dragomir Kojić handles IP-related data protection, labelling and advertising issues, and pharmaceutical-related IP matters. Senior associate Relja Mirkov is experienced in the protection of IP rights.
‘The main strength of this practice is its highly motivated team of experienced IP professionals.‘
‘Senior associate Relja Milkov co-ordinates cases in multiple jurisdictions very well. He has great knowledge of laws, practices and languages in the regional countries that the firm covers.‘
‘Senior associate Relja Mirkov stands out for his competence and motivation.‘
Philip Morris International Management
Diners Club International
Foreign Investors Counsel
Piquante Brands International (Pty)
Dutch Environment Corporation
- Advises Microsoft on the protection of its copyrights.
- Managing Philip Morris’ trade mark registration and maintenance proceedings, including filing requests before the Serbian Intellectual Property Office for trade mark search and trade mark availability search reports.
- Advised Colgate Palmolive on the protection of trade marks.
Law Office Miroslav Stojanovic, in cooperation with Wolf Theiss is increasingly active in IP work involving trade mark assignments and copyright software issues. Other areas are trade mark and patent filings, as well as competition, commercial, litigation and regulatory considerations. Nataša Lalović Marić recently advised on the acquisition of IP rights in relation to the setting-up of a crypto exchange. Senior associate Iskra Lazić is an IP and data protection specialist.
Natasa Lalovic Maric; Miroslav Stojanovic
Naftna Industrija Srbije ad NIS
McArthurGlen Europe Holdings
- Advised Cineplexx on data protection law.
- Acted for McArthurGlen Europe Holdings on the registration of trade marks.
- Advised Drilling Info on the transfer of IP rights, including trade mark portfolios.
Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr has a strong media sector-related track record. The team assists with trade mark registrations as well as technically highly complex matters, such as software infringements and IP litigation. Andrea Radonjanin is an IP, IT and life sciences expert.
‘The practice has an exceptional track record, ranging from advising local start-ups to multinational corporates. It is very easy to work with and highly efficient – highly recommended to anyone seeking IP advice.‘
‘Schoenherr’s IP team meets the highest standards. All of their lawyers are professional and competent in their work. The thing that impresses the most is their flexibility and openness to new ideas. Their IP practice is second to none.‘
‘One of its main strengths is the fact that it is a full-service law firm. It is important to corporate clients to have general corporate, employment, financial and IP advice from the same law firm. It is also an international law firm that has certain work quality and communications standards that are, unfortunately, not easy to find among local law firms.‘
‘The team is very reliable. With Schoenherr, clients feel confident that all their legal matters will be taken care of.‘
‘Clients are impressed by the lawyers’ responsiveness. They provide quite complex legal advice very quickly and clients gladly recommend them to anyone looking for a capable international law firm covering the entire region.‘
‘This practice is unique because of the high quality of the advice it provides and its abilities, which are hard to match on the market. The key strengths are expertise and matter management skills.‘
‘Andrea Radonjanin is an experienced IP lawyer who has worked for some of the most eminent companies present in the region. She is very knowledgeable and what clients appreciate about working with her the most is her strategic approach.‘
‘Andrea Radonjanin always thinks strategically, taking into consideration things other lawyers would most probably neglect – this firm is the right choice.‘
‘Andrea Radonjanin is able to translate technical issues into easy-to- understand language and she is a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Andrea Radonjanin takes the initiative and solves problems in a highly professional manner, and she is always available and very easy to work with.‘
Maggie Sottero Designs
Taiyaki factory doo Beograd
Coca Cola Srdja
Altria Client Services
- Advised a group of companies, including United Group and SBB (a cable television and broadband internet service provider in Serbia) on illegal streaming of copyright content.
- Assisted Gallup International Association with non-use cancellation actions against several national trade marks and international registrations of Gallup Inc.
- Acted for GoodMills in potential trade mark infringement disputes with local Serbian competitors.
Joksovic, Stojanovic & Partners advises on traditional IP rights, such as trade marks, patents, industrial design and copyright. The team is also noted for digital IP and IT-related matters. Alex Petrović assists with licensing, digital asset transfers and domain protection issues. Dragan Psodorov's practice includes IP infringement cases.
Alex Petrović; Dragan Psodorov
‘The advice received is to the point and clear, and clients appreciate the firm’s responsiveness when dealing with these matters.‘
‘It is a very professional and devoted team. Clients have good experiences when working with it. The attorneys provide a very fast and professional service.‘
‘Dragan Psodorov is a key reference point for IP matters.‘
‘From his legal advice, it is clear that Dragan Psodorov is knowledgeable about this area of law and his advice is useful and comprehensive, helping clients to resolve their concerns in an efficient and timely manner.‘
‘Dragan Psodorov is an IP expert. Clients can always rely on him and he has good knowledge and understanding of tiny details in this area of law. He is also exceptionally experienced and hardworking.‘
Sam Ash Music Corp
State Lottery of Serbia
Farmina Pet Foods
Skopska pivara ad
Kefalo doo Novi Sad
DENSO-Holding GmbH & Co
- Advised Kefalo doo Novi Sad, an education company, on several matters, including the the registration of trade marks.
- Managing the trade mark portfolio of beer producer, Skopska pivara ad Skopje.
- Represented the State Lottery of Serbia in its dispute against Croatian company, Nirvana, which related to an alleged breach of Nirvana’s IP rights.
JPM Jankovic Popovic & Mitic's practice handles the filing of trade mark, patent and design applications; it also acts in infringement proceedings. Bojan Šunderić is a registered Serbian Intellectual Property Office and European Patent Office representative.
‘The team is experienced, well mannered and very professional.‘
‘Bojan Šunderić is exceptional – a wonderful lawyer with all the right answers and advice.‘
BASF Srbija doo
adp Gauselmann GmbH
H&M HENNES & MAURITZ
Electrical Engineering Institute Nikola Tesla
- Acted for NLO Shieldmark in relation to the refusal of protection of its trade mark Nutridrink in Serbia.
- Assisted adp Gauselmann with the management of a trade mark portfolio in Serbia.
- Advised Knorr-Bremse on the validation of European patents and trade mark protection in Serbia.
Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) advises on major portfolio management and IP protection strategies, as well as cross-border data protection and advertising and marketing issues. Nenad Stankovic's international business law practice includes IP matters.
Innovation Fund of the Republic of Serbia
Apatinska pivara, member of Molson Coors group
Nevena & Allme cosmetics
- Advised Apatinska pivara, a Molson Coors Group member, on the protection of trade marks and logos used for marketing.
- Advised Monster Energy, a US-based international soft drinks company, on various IP matters.
- Assisted Takeda Pharmaceuticals with complex data protection issues.