Hailed as ‘simply unparalleled in sector’, Brodies LLP is home to a ‘broad range of oil and gas knowledge and experience’. Clare Munro, ‘an industry leader’, heads the practice and is especially accomplished in terms of upstream M&A, and project development endeavours; her team is also home to drilling, well engineering and offshore construction expert, Greg May, as well as Sonia Love whose core strengths lie in transactional due diligence, field development agreements and field development contracts. At the more junior end of the partnership spectrum, Rhona McFarlane is forging a prominent reputation for her work on asset acquisitions, decommissioning liabilities and operational agreements.
Oil and gas in Scotland
Other key lawyers:
Greg May; Sonia Love; Rhona McFarlane; Bryan Wilson
‘The Brodies LLP oil and gas team are simply unparalleled in the oil and gas sector.’
‘Part of what distinguishes Brodies LLP from other law firms with capabilities in this sector, is a suite of practitioners under the experienced stewardship of Clare Munro.’
‘Greg May is without challenge the best-in-class private practice counsel globally, for upstream oil and gas service sector mandates.’
‘The team is focused on the oil and gas sector and everything that involves. They have access to very experienced individuals in other sectors as required, but do not make attempts to bolster their oil and gas offering by holding out personnel who work in other sectors as being oil and gas lawyers simply by virtue of them having carried out a transaction in which an oil and gas company was involved.’
‘Greg May and Sonia Love are valued for their depth of both technical legal and wider industry knowledge, extensive networks and attention to detail. They are friendly and approachable whilst also giving the client the confidence that the matter is being dealt with by experts.’
‘Full service commercial firm but with a strong Scottish and local market/sector perspective.’
‘Sonia Love has a straightforward approach and is enthusiastic and delivery-oriented.’
‘Clare Munro is an industry leader in the provision of oil and gas advice.’
North Sea Midstream Partners
CMS operates across a wealth of M&A, project, supply chain contract negotiation and disputes mandates, leveraging its ‘exceptional industry knowledge’ in the process; its practice is headed by Norman Wisely whose expertise encompasses offshore and onshore oil and gas asset and share transactions, licensing and production sharing matters.Elsewhere, Judith Aldersey-Williams is a go-to for regulatory, antitrust and commercial contract matters meanwhile Graeme Clubley hones his focus on upstream asset deals, farm-outs and decommissioning security arrangements. Paula Kidd is also a figure of prominence, owing to her track record in emerging energy transition projects and joint venture contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Judith Aldersey-Williams; Graeme Clubley; Paula Kidd; Frank Fowlie; Valerie Allan
‘CMS is completely unique in this space. They understand the O&G sector deeply, with many of their key partners and associates having gained experience working on a secondment basis in O&G companies’ legal teams. They are a creative, solution-driven, hard-working, approachable and personable team of lawyers.’
‘Graeme Clubley is has the ability to understand and translate complex legal matters into something clients can quickly understand. He is a no-nonsense, straightforward and trustworthy advisor of choice.’
‘Deep industry knowledge allied with an excellent understanding of the client’.
‘Really deep experience across a wide range of oil and gas topics ranging from M&A, litigation, projects, property, competition law. Involved in so many key transactions in the sector they are really dialled-in to the market practice and current norms.’
‘Graeme Clubley – absolutely superb lawyer and invaluable on M&A deals in 2021/2022 for us. On the mark all the time, super responsive and delivers high quality and client friendly advice.’
‘The team provide high-quality advice which cuts to the heart of the issue. The team are available and receptive.’
‘Paula Kidd is a phenomenal partner in the firm. Her can-do attitude is a credit which makes CMS’ capabilities endless.’
‘Norman Wisely – Norman is always available and provides commercially astute, pragmatic advice as required. Always showing a calm demeanour within an M&A context; Norman is easy to work with and brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the table.’
Oil Spill Response
Antelopus Energy Pvt Limited
Korea National Oil Corporation
Stadtwerke München GmbH
- Advising NEO Energy on the acquisition of over 15 oil and gas fields from Exxon, including Gannet, Penguins, Shearwater, Elgin/Franklin, ETAP (Mirren, Madoes), Kingfisher, Strathspey, Nelson, Starling, Fram and interests in the SEAL, GAEL and Brent pipeline systems and the Sullom Voe terminal, via a hive-down and sale of ExxonMobil CNNS Limited.
- Advising on the acquisition of JX Nippon Exploration and Production UK, holding interests in the Culzean, Mariner and Brae fields.
- Advising key client SSE, on the disposal of its entire offshore UK gas business through sale of SSE E&P UK Limited to RockRose Energy, including interests in over 15 gas fields including Inde, Bessemer, Beaufort, Bell, Brown, Leman, Davy, Boyle, Sean, Wollaston, Whittle, Minerva, Apollo, Mercury, Laggan, Tormore, Edradour and Glenlivet fields, Bacton terminal and Shetland gas plant and various other infrastructure, involving retention of decommissioning liability, vendor loan and security.
Burness Paull LLP is geared to support on a broad breadth of oil and gas affairs, including regulatory, disputes, technology, health and safety, employment, IP and environmental mandates. Practice head Bob Ruddiman demonstrates a track record which spans matters in the UK, North America, Europe, the Middle East and South-East Asia; he is supported by consultant Brian Hemming, a lawyer active on field interest transactions, projects and upstream joint venture agreements. Director David Smith is also an integral member of the team, steering clients through asset transactions, joint venture and decommissioning security agreements, and project and infrastructure negotiations.
Other key lawyers:
Brian Hemming; David Smith; Laura Fraser
‘Very experienced in all types of Oil and Gas transactions and very customer focused.’
‘Brian Hemming and David Smith provide excellent service. They are both very personable and aligned with their customer requirements. Legal drafting is provided to a high standard and in a timely fashion.’
‘Strong across upstream oil and gas and corporate matters – know the local market well.’
‘Bob Ruddiman is a fantastic leader and well respected expert. Very valuable counsel and strategic guidance.’
‘David Smith – quality senior associate. Very sharp, commercial and helpful.’
‘The team’s knowledge and understanding of our business is second to none – the midstream oil and gas sector is a limited market that is not universally well understood by the UK legal market. The Burness Paull team uses its extensive upstream experience and is able to apply that to provide efficient and effective advice and relevant direction to us as a midstream player.’
‘David Smith stands out for his ability to build strong relationships with key client contacts which builds a high level of trust. We know when we ask David to handle something for us it will be done efficiently and to a high standard.’
‘Bob Ruddiman has an exceptional knowledge of the UK energy market and uses that knowledge to identify possible opportunities for us and to discuss existing work on an informed basis. His knowledge and level of understanding instils great confidence that his team will get the job done to a high standard.’
National Oilwell Varco
NZTC (Net Zero Technology Centre)
- Advising Savannah Energy PLC on it’s $65m equity fundraising, and the capital markets aspects of its up to $700m reverse takeover acquisitions of ExxonMobil and Petronas’s oil businesses in Chad and Cameroon.
- Advising i3 Energy plc on its secondary placing of new shares to raise £40m if capital in order to fund i3’s acquisition of petroleum and infrastructure assets in Alberta, Canada.
- Acting for EnQuest in a high value, complex English law-governed dispute arising out one of the largest oil and gas processing plants in Europe.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP was bolstered by the arrival of Bruce McLeod, formerly of Burness Paull LLP, in August 2021, a move which significantly strengthened its M&A, infrastructure and joint venture negotiation capabilities. Rosalie Chadwick leads the practice, dispersing ‘in-depth capital market and regulatory knowledge’, meanwhile Shirley Allen operates across a variety of transactional, licensing, project and finance affairs. At the up-and-coming level, legal director Neil Hehir routinely deploys his knowhow across supply chain and energy transition projects while Elizabeth Whitaker actively supports on oilfield service and offshore contracting matters.
Other key lawyers:
Bruce McLeod; Shirley Allen; Neil Hehir; Elizabeth Whitaker; Rachel Warner
‘In-depth knowledge and experience with oil & gas transactions has hepled us with the sale of 50% equity in a North Sea licence. Definitive experience with this type of transaction gives a leading position in the presentation of a draft SPA and the follow-up transactions.’
‘Rachel Warner was exemplary in preparing the draft SPA then in negotiations (which were difficult at times) with the counter party. Always calm, but firm in explaining the position on points.’
‘Bruce McLeod – super experienced upstream oil and gas lawyer with strong UK and International experience. Deep knowledge in Egyptian oil and gas – very helpful on recent M&A deals in Egypt with really strong commercial and legal advice.’
‘Shirley Allen – very good upstream lawyer. Very reliable and always working hard to deliver for clients.’
‘Experienced UK upstream and infrastructure team with extensive knowledge to bring to negotiation / drafting of transaction agreements and navigation of regulatory framework for capital market access.’
‘Bruce McLeod is highly experienced in O&G transactions and infrastructure agreements – with a useful perspective on UK regulatory considerations. He is well supported by an excellent team which includes Rachel Warner.’
‘Rosalie Chadwick brings in-depth knowledge of capital market documentation and navigation of the regulatory pathways.’
‘Highly competent team with commercial, pragmatic approach to solutions.’
TotalEnergies (we are also on the UK panel)
Pharos Energy plc
Sound Energy plc
Capricorn Egypt plc
Siccar Point Energy
Jersey Oil & Gas Plc
- Advised NEO Energy Upstream UK Limited – backed by Norwegian private equity firm HitecVision – on its acquisition of independent oil and gas company Zennor Petroleum Limited for a total consideration of up to $625m.
- Advising TotalEnergies E&P UK Limited on the $165m+ sale to Kistos Energy Plc of a significant package of gas fields in the UKCS, together with interests in Shetland Gas Plant and exploration acreage West of Shetland.
- Advised Pharos Energy plc on the sale of a majority interest and operatorship in various Egyptian oil and gas concessions to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Texas-based IPR Energy for $53m (plus up to $20m contingent consideration).
Stronachs LLP is home to a ‘comprehensive knowledge’ of upstream acquisitions and disposals, field developments, decommissioning issues, technology-related deals, debt refinancing and energy transition mandates. Practice head Ewan Neilson has overseen energy matters in Africa, North America, Australasia and the Far-East; he is supported by James Downie, a specialist in M&A, development and operation contract endeavours.
Other key lawyers:
James Downie; Malcolm Donald; James Muir
‘All support provided by James Muir is always provided promptly and is to a very high professional standard. A high level of flexibility is also demonstrated in provision of the support. We are highly satisfied by the quality of the support provided.’
‘We primarily work with James Muir (partner). Excellent support provided at all times. James demonstrates a complete understanding of the contractual issues faced and works extremely well with out project management and technical personnel to develop contractual solutions that protect our interests to the fullest extent possible.’
‘Really good value for money and really strong, helpful and pragmatic advisors. Punch well above their weight against larger international firms operating in Scotland.’
‘Malcolm Donald – really deep experience across oil and gas sector. Reliable, easy to communicate with and client friendly.’
‘The team at Stronachs has a sound and comprehensive knowledge of oil and gas law. They are proactive and responsive when dealing with work. They can be relied upon to provide sensible, pragmatic advice with a very quick turnaround time.’
‘James Downie is a stand out partner in the oil and gas team. His knowledge of oil and gas law is second to none. His experience of the industry means that he knows where clients’ concerns will lie. His attention to detail is exceptional but more importantly he provides pragmatic advice focusing on the real issues whilst avoiding becoming stuck in minutiae.’
Harbour Energy plc
Dana Petroleum Limited
Black Sea Oil & Gas
Ithaca Energy (UK) Limited
RPS Energy Limited
Seplat Petroleum Development plc
Intervention Group Limited
Well-Safe Solutions Limited
TOTSA OIL Trading SA
- Providing support to Black Sea in terms of its ongoing Midia Gas Development on various contractual matters. In September 2021, BSOG completed the installation of the Ana production platform, the first offshore platform built and installed in Romania in the past 30 years.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP’s activities in the oil and gas sector are spread across dispute, corporate support, contractual, M&A, finance and advisory affairs. Richard Cockburn, a lawyer with a wealth of project exposure, fronts the offering, receiving support from property specialist Paul Mason.
Other key lawyers:
National Tube Stockholders (NTS)
Tekmar Energy Limited
- Acting as outside counsel to Tekmar Energy, an international oilfield service supplier. The team provided advice on and review of a spectrum of supply contracts worldwide for cable protection equipment to be supplied to major new onshore and offshore high-value development sites.
- Acting for ENI on the acquisition of 100% of the participating interests in the Conwy operating upstream oilfield in the Irish Sea from private equity backed Tailwind Mistral. Conwy is a sole owned and operated asset.