Projects and energy in Saudi Arabia
Legal Advisors, Abdulaziz I. Al-Ajlan & Partners in association with Baker & McKenzie Limited advises sponsors and lenders on major infrastructure projects in the region. Practice co-head Ian Siddell advised Ma'aden Wa'ad Al Shamal Phosphate Company and its sponsors on the development of a $7.9bn phosphate fertilizer production project. Fellow co-head George Sayen assisted Spanish government-owned shipbuilder Navantia with its construction of naval vessels for the Saudi Ministry of Defence. Basel Barakat is another key figure; he advised Saudi Binladin Group Company Limited on the construction of the King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh. Julie Alexander and Gavin Witcombe are also highly recommended.
Saudi Arabian Mining Company
Banque Saudi Fransi
Samba Financial Group / Samba Capital
Saudi Binladin Group Company Limited
The National Commercial Bank
Arab National Bank
ACWA Power International
Al Rajhi Banking and Investment Corporation
HSBC Saudi Arabia / The Saudi British Bank
The Saudi Investment Bank Circa
Gulf International Bank / GIB Capital
Arab Petroleum Investments Corporation
Mohammed I. Alsubeaei & Sons Investment Company
- Advising HSBC Saudi Arabia and Arab National Bank on the Sakaka PV IPP, which is a greenfield 300MWac solar photovoltaic project designed as a standalone facility, based in the northern region of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for a syndicate of banks on multi-option trade finance facilities provided to Saudi Binladin Group intended for the development of the King Abdulaziz International Airport Project in Jeddah.
- Assisted Spanish government-owned shipbuilder Navantia with its construction of naval vessels for the Saudi Ministry of Defence.
For some, Adam Pierson at The Law Office of Megren M. Al-Shaalan in cooperation with White & Case is the 'go-to lawyer for Saudi projects' and recently advised Saudi Aramco on its $1.1bn financing of a residential camp. He leads the team alongside Doug Peel, who has extensive experience in energy and infrastructure projects, particularly in the oil and gas sector.
‘Adam Pierson is the go to lawyer for Saudi projects.’
‘The team is unique in the depth of knowledge they possess and their ability to work as a single-unit.’
‘While being detail oriented, its attorneys do not miss the bigger picture of the transaction.’
Saudi Arabian Oil Company
Saudi Arabian Mining Company
National Water Company
Water & Electricity Company
King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre
National Commercial Bank
- Advised the arrangers on the SAR2.15bn Islamic project financing for the construction of a new petrochemicals complex in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia.
- Advising Water & Electricity Company on three greenfield water and wastewater treatment plant PPPs.
- Assisting Saudi National Commercial Bank with the expected financing of the concession for the construction and operation of Taif International Airport under a PPP structure to the preferred bidder consortium (consisting of Asyad Group, Consolidated Contractors Company and Munich Airport).
The 'excellent' and 'highly professional' DLA Piper in collaboration with Amer Al Amr Law Firm has 'state of the art knowledge of the energy field' and is 'always up to date regarding crucial developments'. Dubai-based Trevor Butcher leads the team; he advised Saudi Water Partnership Company on a number of water desalination projects. Keith Bullen, who is also based in Dubai, is '100% aware of trends in the region and important developments' and 'willing to adapt to new requests by the client'. He assisted Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources with a $400m solar power project.
Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources
Saudi Water Partnership Company
Saudi Airlines Cargo Company
- Advised Saudi Airlines Cargo Company on the development of a new cargo terminal at King Abdulaziz International Airport, Jeddah.
- Assisted Saudi Water Partnership Company with the development of independent sewage treatment plants.
- Advised Saudi Water Partnership Company on the procurement of six water storage projects in Jeddah.
Faisal Adnan Baassiri Law Firm in association with Ashurst LLP
Faisal Adnan Baassiri Law Firm in association with Ashurst LLP advises lenders and sponsors on infrastructure, water, energy, healthcare, education and transport projects, among others. Project finance specialist Bilal Rana leads the practice and is an expert in advising on PPP projects. Managing partner Faisal Adnan Baassiri regularly assists global companies and institutions with ensuring that energy and infrastructure transactions are shari'ah compliant. Dubai-based David Charlier is another name of note and is particularly experienced in water and sewage projects.
ArRiyadh Development Authority
FCC Aqualia S.A
- Advised RDA on all aspects of the procurement of O&M contractors for the Riyadh Metro.
- Acted for the commercial lenders supporting the Marubeni- led consortium on the development and financing of the Shuqaiq 3 independent water project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised the FCC Aqualia / Nesma / Abdul Latif Jameel consortium on its bid for the Jeddah Airport independent sewage treatment project.
Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni In association with Dechert LLP has a track record handling major projects relating to renewable energy, transport infrastructure and supply systems. Practice head Emad Zahrani advised a sponsor on the Madinah Hajj City Project. He also assisted Sepco3 with its role as engineering, procurement and construction contractor on the Yanbu water and power project.
- Advising Sete Energy Saudia For Industrial Projects on the construction of nine desalination plants across Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea coastline.
- Acting for Jafto, a consortium of national and international companies, on matters related to the provision of refuelling services to the new King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah.
- Assisted Posco E&C Saudi Arabia with its construction of three housing buildings at Sulaiman Al Rajhi University City Project at Bakireyya, Saudi Arabia.
Hatem Abbas Ghazzawi & Co. frequently acts as local counsel on major project finance mandates involving international law firms without an affiliate office in Riyadh. In recent work, practice head Ali Abedi, alongside Covington & Burling LLP, assisted Acwa Power with the development and financing of Saudi Arabia’s first renewable energy project . Associate Dana Halwani, who regularly works alongside Abedi, is also noted.
The Dow Chemical Company and Sadara Chemical Company
- Advising Acwa Power on its financing and hedging agreements for the SR2.625bn independent water project.
- Assisting Dow and Sadara Chemical Company with its joint venture with Saudi Aramco for the development, financing and construction of a petrochemicals complex in Jubail.
- Assisting the Swiss industrial technologies provider ABB with the formation of a joint venture with Canadian engineering major SNC-Lavalin to handle engineering, procurement and construction projects in the power sector.
King & Spalding in affiliation with the Law Office of Mohammad Al-Ammar is a popular choice for big-ticket energy and infrastructure projects within the region. Testament to this was Abu-Dhabi-based Tim Burbury's advice to Jeddah Economic Company on the procurement and development of district cooling services, power supply and potable water for Jeddah Economic City development, a project which includes the construction of planned skyscraper, Jeddah Tower, which is set to be the world's first 1km building. The team has been strengthened by the addition of power project specialist Robin Bayley, who joined from Shearman & Sterling LLP and is also based in Abu Dhabi.
Advance Water Technology
Compañía Española de Petróleos
Power and Water Utility Company for Jubail and Yanbu – Marafiq
Sharjah Asset Management Holding
Jeddah Economic Company
Mubadala Investment Company
Shuaa Energy 2 PSC
ALDAR Properties PJSC
Jeddah Development & Urban Regeneration
Booz Allen Hamilton
Dhahran Techno Valley Company
Arabian Company for Water and Power Development
Dubai World Trade Centre
Electricity de France
Emirates District Cooling
Jeddah Urban Development and Regeneration Company
Jabal Omar Development Company
Sadara Chemical Company
Tourism Development & Investment Company
United Eastern Medical Services
Oman Investment Corporation
The Media Zone Authority
Blue Apple Partners
Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company
- Advised Dar-Al-Handasah on the procurement and development of district cooling services and a potable water plant at the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals.
- Acted for Momra on the implementation of several PPP projects in the waste and environment sectors in Saudi Arabia.
- Assisted Jeddah Economic Company with the procurement and development of district cooling services, power supply and potable water for the Jeddah Economic City development.
Law Office of Mohanned bin Saud Al-Rasheed in association with Baker Botts L.L.P.
Law Office of Mohanned bin Saud Al-Rasheed in association with Baker Botts L.L.P. has historically been associated with the oil and gas sector but is also seeing an uptick in work relating to renewable energy. Shadi Haroon leads the team and is highly experienced in oil and gas projects. The group also draws on the firm's international network with Dubai-based Stephen Matthews frequently involved in Saudi-related mandates. A key development in the Riyadh office has been the arrival of energy project expert Euan Pinkerton, who joined from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP.
RAK Gas LLC
Azerbaijan Gas Supply Company
Law Office of Salman M. Al-Sudairi in association with Latham & Watkins LLP
Law Office of Salman M. Al-Sudairi in association with Latham & Watkins LLP primarily advises on the sponsor side of major project deals, with a number of local and international banks among its client roster. Salman Al-Sudairi leads the practice and is supported by counsel Amar N Meher. The team also draws upon its international network, working particularly closely with the Dubai and London offices.
Abuhimed Alsheikh Alhagbani Law Firm (AS&H) in co-operation with Clifford Chance
Abuhimed Alsheikh Alhagbani Law Firm (AS&H) in co-operation with Clifford Chance's team is headed by Yasser Al-Hussain, who has worked on major project finance mandates in the region. He recently advised a financial consortium on its sponsorship of the Shuqaiq-3 independent water project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised a consortium led by Marubeni on the limited recourse financing for the construction, operation and maintenance of the Shuqaiq 3 Independent Water Project in Saudi Arabia.
Al Tamimi & Company has seen an uptick in instructions to handle high-profile projects in the areas of real estate and tourism but also has a strong background in projects involving oil and gas, infrastructure, healthcare, water and waste. Practice head Grahame Nelson is highly skilled in project finance, particularly regarding public-private-partnerships. Bahrain-based Rafiq Jaffer also specialises in project finance.
Other key lawyers:
Public Investment Fund
The Red Sea Development Company
- Advised Al Akaria on a new $10bn mixed-use development in Riyadh.
- Assisted Public Investment Fund with the development and financing of Amaala, a major luxury resort along the Red Sea.
Jones Day in association with Ebrahim Alhabardi Law Office advises on oil and gas, renewable energy and water treatment projects in the region. Javade Chaudhri leads the practice and has extensive experience of the oil and gas sector. Other notable names include Yusuf Giansiracusa and of counsel Edward Rose, who are both experienced in infrastructure projects. The team also draws upon its international network, with Dubai-based Nadim Khan, who focuses on project finance, another key name.
- Advised a major utility company on the project financing and development of a new wastewater treatment plant.
- Advised a petrochemicals company on the structuring of the development and financing of a major expansion project.
Khoshaim & Associates in cooperation with Allen & Overy LLP's practice is led by Karim Wali, who has a strong track record in advising on project finance mandates, particularly in the oil and gas sector. The team draws upon its international network with Dubai-based Julian Johansen another notable name.
The Law Office of Looaye M. Al-Akkas in Association with Vinson & Elkins LLP has a strong track record handling oil and gas projects. Looaye Al-Akkas is the key name to note; he frequently advises public bodies on major energy projects in the region.
Saud Al-Ammari (Dr.) Law Firm
Energy projects are a core area of expertise for Saud Al-Ammari (Dr.) Law Firm, which has expertise in handling corporate, commercial and financing matters in the space. Saud Al-Ammari leads the team and has a very strong background in the oil and gas sector having formerly worked as general counsel at the Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources for the Saudi government.