Dispute resolution in Saudi Arabia
Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni In association with Dechert LLP has expertise in litigation and arbitration and typically acts in disputes involving intellectual property, commercial contracts and project development. Legal advisers Yousef Al Husiki , Emad Zahrani and Atif Mulla lead the practice. Managing partner Hassan Mahassni is another key figure.
Yousef Al Husiki; Emad Zahrani; Atif Mulla
For some, Hatem Abbas Ghazzawi & Co. has 'a greater understanding of the legal process in the country' than other firms according to one client, and particularly stands out for its work in the areas of banking, securities and capital markets. Practice head Andreas Haberbeck provides advice that is 'always clear and concise' and 'leaves you in no doubt as to his experience and knowledge of the Saudi Arabian legal process'. He is acting as an expert witness in English High Court proceedings brought by the liquidators of Saad Investments Company. He is supported by Amr Kady, who is an expert in sukuk litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Andreas Haberbeck is always prompt in his responses whatever day of the week you make contact and wherever in the world he may be.’
‘Hatem Abbas Ghazzawi & Co always provide prompt clear and concise advice and seem to have a greater understanding of the legal process in the country.’
‘Andreas Haberbeck’s advice is always clear and concise and leaves you in no doubt of his experience and knowledge of the Saudi Arabian legal process.’
- Acting for Citicorp Trustee Company and Golden Belt 1 Sukuk Company in a dispute with Saad Trading and Maan Al Sanea concerning a default under a sukuk for $650m.
- Acting as independent experts providing expert evidence on Saudi law for Samba Financial Group in a dispute concerning its ownership in shares of the bankrupt Saad Investments Company brought by its liquidators.
Khoshaim & Associates in cooperation with Allen & Overy LLP is consistently involved in high-profile disputes and is able to draw on team members' involvement in drafting and implementing Saudi law. The group particularly stands out for its experience representing clients before courts and judicial committees, including acting for clients before the Banking Disputes Committee and the Committee for the Resolution of Securities Disputes. The team has a varied caseload but has been kept especially busy recently handling oil and gas disputes. Arbitration is a core strength: managing partner Zeyad Khoshaim is a key name for international and domestic arbitration, while counsel Nasser Alrubayyi previously trained at the International Court of Arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
Saudi Aramco Total Refining and Petrochemical Co
Volvo Truck Corporation
Zahid Tractor and Heavy Machinery Co. Ltd
Standard Chartered Bank
Etihad Etisalat Company Saudi Arabia
The General Organization for Social Insurance
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Emaar Economic City
- Acting for The General Organization for Social Insurance at the Committee for the Resolution of Securities Disputes in a securities dispute involving general assemblies in Mouwasat Medical Services Co.
AlDhabaan & Partners in association with Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP draws upon its experience advising government bodies and entities on regulations and is very prominent in acting for clients in disputes against government authorities. In one particular highlight, managing partner Fahad AlDehais AlMalki represented AlMal Investment Company in a dispute against the Saudi Economic Cities Authority concerning the unlawful termination of a contract involving the construction of an economic city. Saud Al Romi acted for Artar in its claim against the Saudi Ministry for Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources regarding license revocation. Firm founder Mohammed Aldhabaan leads the practice and has acted in commercial and administrative courts on real estate, inheritance and restructuring disputes.
- Represented Artar in its claim before the Saudi Administrative Court against the Saudi Ministry for Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources concerning a licence refusal.
- Acted for AlMal Investment in a dispute against Saudi Economic Cities Authority concerning the termination of a contract relating to the development of a city.
Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm in association with Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Commercial and labour disputes are particular strengths of Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm in association with Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP's practice. Name partner Mohammed Al-Ghamdi leads the team and is highly experienced in commercial litigation and arbitration. Also recommended is Dubai-based Orlando Vidal, who is very active in the healthcare sector.
Other key lawyers:
Zamakhchary & Co. in agreement with Linklaters
Zamakhchary & Co. in agreement with Linklaters's team is jointly led by Sarah Gonem, who is 'excellent' and has 'a particular talent for facilitating progress in cross-border cases', and Abdulatif AlHarthi. The duo acted for Grant Thornton in the enforcement in Saudi Arabia of foreign judgments from the Cayman Islands against Maan AlSanea with a total value of over $2.2bn. They also represented Deloitte in the first class action claim brought in the KSA before the Committee for Resolution of Securities Disputes pursuant to new regulations issued by the Capital Market Authority.
Sarah Gonem; Abdulatif AlHarthi
- Acting for Zain Group and Zain KSA in two separate disputes with founding shareholders in Zain KSA, including a high-profile action involving former Zain KSA chairman HRH Prince Hussam Bin Saud Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
- Acting for Gulf Oil Marine in bringing claims against two of its local commercial agents for unpaid amounts, and achieving final judgment (following an appeal) against both parties.
- Represented Grant Thornton in the enforcement in Saudi Arabia of foreign judgments from the Cayman Islands against Maan AlSanea with a total value of over $2.2bn.
Legal Advisors, Abdulaziz I. Al-Ajlan & Partners in association with Baker & McKenzie Limited predominantly represents multinational companies in cases concerning the oil and gas, pharmaceutical, construction and telecoms industries. The team also has experience acting before a number of courts, including shari'ah courts and the Committee for Negotiable Instruments. Abdulrahman AlAjlan leads the team and is skilled in both litigation and arbitration, with key strengths in contract breaches, compensation claims and shareholder disputes. Also leading the team is George Sayen, who is notably strong in construction and infrastructure-related cases. Ajlan Alajlan is another key figure and is very active in shareholder disputes and health and safety investigations. Anton Mikel, who is an expert in contract breaches and restructurings, is also noted.
Al Tamimi & Company has seen an uptick in high-level disputes work across a number of industries, including financial services, consultancy, healthcare and technology. In one highlight, Abdullah Al Tamimi successfully represented Sanad Hospital in defending an employment claim brought by the hospital’s former PRO-Director in a case that was heard before the Higher Labour Commission. Ahmed Basrawi is a key name for litigation and handles a range of disputes across a number of areas. Emad Salameh has experience in commercial and construction litigation.
Abdullah Al Tamimi; Ahmed Basrawi
Other key lawyers:
- Acted for Danube Saudi Trading Company in a number of disputes relating to credit agreements entered into with SBG to provide supplies for projects across Saudi Arabia.
- Defended Sanad Hospital in a claim by Al Adwan Real Estate stating that the hospital owed Al Adwan a substantial sum under the terms of a prior agreement.
- Acted for Arasoft following the filing of several cases by Mobily in the Appeal Court challenging arbitration proceedings launched against Mobily by the client in August 2015.
Al-Jadaan & Partners Law Firm
Al-Jadaan & Partners Law Firm has represented corporate clients and public bodies in litigation and ADR, with a strong emphasis on banking, corporate, commercial and civil cases. Managing partner Abdullah Al-Hashim leads the practice and primarily handles contentious issues concerning shareholding, construction, land ownership and competition. Another key figure is litigator Yousef Al-Jadaan, who is very experienced in the local judicial courts.
Clyde & Co LLP
The Law Firm of Salah Al-Hejailan in association with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
An ‘excellent‘ team known for its ‘depth‘, ‘attention to detail‘ and ‘client-focused‘ approach, The Law Office of Megren M. Al-Shaalan in cooperation with White & Case has a strong track record in construction and infrastructure-related disputes. Adam Pierson is a key figure and focuses on contentious issues involving the oil and gas sector. Other key names of note include Luka Kristovic Blazevic, who is especially notable fr construction-related international arbitration, and Yazeed Al-Toaimi, who is an expert in infrastructure disputes. Michael Turrini handles disputes across a number of GCC countries.
Michael Turrini; Adam Pierson; Luka Kristovic Blazevic; Yazeed Al-Toaimi
The Law Firm of Wael A. Alissa in association with Dentons
The Law Firm of Wael A. Alissa in association with Dentons has handled a number of cases before the shari'ah courts, the Board of Grievances and labour courts. Name partner Wael A. Alissa is able to draw on past experience as a deputy prosecutor with the Saudi Arabian Department of Prosecution & Investigation.
Wael A. Alissa
Al-Enezee Legal Counsel in association with EKP is recognised for its strength handling cross-border and domestic disputes involving the telecoms, energy, shipping, aviation, insurance and healthcare industries. Practice heads Khulaif Al-Enezee and Wissam Hachem acted for Saudi Arabia Airlines in a claim against a ground-handling service provider in relation to a damaged aircraft. The duo also represented the Chinese petroleum company Sinopec in a dispute against China Eleventh Chemical Construction involving a contractual matter concerning a major construction project in KSA.
Khulaif Al-Enezee; Wissam Hachem
Saudi Arabian Airlines
United Cooperative Assurance Company
Sinopec – Branch of Sinopec International Petroleum Service Corporation
China National Chemical Engineering
Nalco Saudi Company Limited
Erste Bank derOesterreichische Sparkassen
Branch of Solar Global Enterprise Inc
- Represented Posh Semco in its claim against Makamin Offshore for dues in connection with unpaid charter hires in Saudi Arabia.
- Representing Nalco in relation to a customs claim involving the export of goods which are qualified as fuel oil-based goods.
- Acted for Saudi Arabia Airlines in a claim against a ground-handling service provider in relation to a damaged aircraft.
Al-Ghazzawi Professional Association
Faisal Adnan Baassiri Law Firm in association with Ashurst LLP
Faisal Adnan Baassiri Law Firm in association with Ashurst LLP is heavily involved in construction disputes, most notably in international arbitration. Managing partner Faisal Adnan Baassiri primarily handles cases involving the construction of energy and infrastructure projects. Dubai-based Dyfan Owen also handles construction disputes, with additional expertise in defending fraud and corporate crime matters.
Faisal Baassiri; Dyfan Owen
Hammad Al-Mehdar & Co in alliance with Simmons & Simmons LLP's team is led by founding partner Mohammad Al Mehdar. He has acted before local judicial bodies including The Negotiable Instruments Office at the Ministry of Commerce, The SAMA Banking Disputes Committee and the CMA Committee for the Resolution of Securities Disputes.
Saud Al-Ammari (Dr.) Law Firm
BSA in collaboration with ALF Alanezi Law Firm
BSA in collaboration with ALF Alanezi Law Firm is very active in media disputes, and also handles banking, engineering and pharmaceutical cases. Practice head Abdallah Alanez is acting for Middle East News in copyright infringement litigation.
Schnadig International Corporation
Oman Oil Marketing LLC
Conurma Ingenieros Consultores
Rakha Al KhaleejInternational LLC
- Acted for Middle East News in a copyright infringement claim filed by a Saudi individual who claimed that the client misused one of his copyrighted videos in one of its published articles.
- Acted for Middle East News in a defamation case brought by well-known Saudi Islamic scholar, Ayed Al Qarni, in relation to an article published on its website.
- Represented Middle East News in a copyright infringement claim brought by individuals who claimed that the client misused copyrighted photos in one of the articles published online.
DLA Piper in collaboration with Amer Al Amr Law Firm's dispute resolution practice is led by Dubai-based Henry Quinlan, who stands out for his 'ability to manage commercial disputes with commercial empathy to key stakeholders'. In Riyadh, managing partner Amer Al Amr is the key figure; he recently acted for a telecoms company in enforcing its London ICC arbitration award before the Enforcement Court in Saudi Arabia.
Henry Quinlan; Amer Al Amr
‘The DR practice led by Henry Quinlan is almost unique in the region with his ability to manage commercial disputes with commercial empathy to key stakeholders and legal precision in a complex changing market.’
‘Henry Quinlan is amongst the most responsive and respected in the GCC and in particular Henry delivers pragmatic legal advice carefully balancing law, regulation, administrative practice and commercial objectives in a market where governmental regulation is evolving quickly.’
- Acted for a telecoms company in enforcing its London ICC arbitration award before the Enforcement Court in Saudi Arabia.
Feras Al Shawaf Law Firm in Association with CMS
Energy and infrastructure disputes are the core area of focus for Feras Al Shawaf Law Firm in Association with CMS, which has strengths in handling litigation and arbitration. Feras Al Shawaf is particularly active in disputes involving commercial contracts and agreements. The team also draws upon Dubai-based Randall Walker, who specialises in energy disputes.
Feras Al Shawaf
Lukoil Mid-East Limited
Dragon Oil Limited
Al Asila Solutions
- Acting for Sulzer Chemtech Middle East SPC in multiple disputes concerning a petrochemical plant project in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia.
- Represented Ericsson in disputes arising from lease and subcontracting agreements.
- Represented Al Asila Solutions against the General Authority of Civil Aviation in connection with the repudiation by Al Asila Solutions of a contract for the provision of services.
Jones Day in association with Ebrahim Alhabardi Law Office's team has particular strengths handling contentious contractual issues surrounding major industrial and infrastructure projects. Alkhobar-based Javade Chaudhri represents clients in litigation and arbitration relating to infrastructure projects. Dubai-based Pierre R. Heitzmann is another key figure for construction arbitration.
Javade Chaudhri; Pierre R. Heitzmann
Shearman & Sterling LLP in association with Dr Sultan Almasoud & Partners represents international and domestic clients drawn from sectors incluing real estate, retail and financial services. Name partner Sultan Almasoud is the key name to note and is highly experienced in commercial litigation.
Alsalam Aircraft Company
SETE Saudia Company
Jabal Omar Company
Ibrahim Al Jomaih Group
Al Fouzan Group
Advanced Electronics Company