Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii covers the full gamut of TMT-related corporate, regulatory and litigation matters. Clients note the huge expertise of lead partner Vlad Cercel, a former head legal counsel with the Romanian National Regulatory Authority for Communications. His track record is complemented by Cătălin Băiculescu, who has over 20 years' experience in the market. Broader support on data protection and privacy issues comes from the recently promoted Ciprian Timofte, the firm's lead partner on data privacy matters. Recently the firm advised on several high profile, high value deals in the telecoms and media space.
Firms in the Spotlight TMT
Mihai, Lucian si Asociatii
The employment practice is coordinated by Ileana Lucian who has over 16 years of experience in the employment field, being a well-known lawyer in this area. Her professional activity started in 2003 within a Romanian top tier law firm, where she held the position of partner in the employment department for more than 4 years.View Profile...
TMT in Romania
Vlad Cercel; Catalin Baiculescu; Ciprian Timofte
‘Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii is a big and very well respected firm. I like their breadth of specialisations which makes you feel that they will always cover all corners of the legal problems at hand. With reference to TMT, the firm is well versed in telecom and media law, backed-up by a strong offering in other areas, such as competition, corporate and commercial, M&A etc. ’
‘Tuca Zbarcea law office is definitely delivering to the highest standards and this, combined with their exceptional business approach, makes them market leaders.’
‘Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii has a well-rounded team with strong background in data privacy and commercially minded lawyers. As far as we are concerned, Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii are the best possible choice for this type of service. There are not so many data privacy experts in the Romanian market possessing a solid client portfolio and significant level of relevant expertise. ’
‘The TMT practice group is one of the most established and capable groups in the country. ’
‘Their service is irreproachable, up to the point and tailored to meet our needs. It really shows they have extensive expertise in media & audiovisual and are able to cover multi-faceted matters.’
‘Ciprian Timofte is a brilliant lawyer, with a wealth of expertise in data protection matters. He is very thorough in his advice, and equally reliable. He has overseen the key steps of the GDPR compliance process for us and kept us informed of every roadblock along the way.’
‘Catalin Baiculescu is a guru when it comes to specific telecom, media and advertising regulations. He has got knowledge at his fingertips while at the same time providing seamless management of the matters at hand. He is always on top of any developments and is passionate about what he does. Excellent hard skills and soft skills too.’
‘Catalin Baiculescu is what any TMT lawyer should be. And I mean well-prepared and experienced, knowledgeable of telecom regulations, concerned about potential regulatory threats for our company and, of course, readily available.’
‘Vlad Cercel, Catalin Baiculescu and Silvana Ivan: very well professionally educated lawyers who are genuinely preoccupied to understand client’s market and business to a superior level.’
Telekom Romania and Telekom Romania Mobile
Clever Media Network Group
Ericsson Telecommunications Romania
Tarsago Romania S.R.L.
LIBERTY GALATI S.A.
Creative Media Development SRL
Wings of Strength LLC
Edenred Romania S.R.L.
- Advised Vodafone Romania on the acquisition of UPC Romania, as part of Vodafone Group Plc’s €18.4bn acquisition of Liberty Global’s operations in several European countries, including Romania.
- Advising Clever Media Network Group in its bid to acquire Prima TV, one of Romania’s main TV stations.
- Assisting Ringier Romania on all aspects of its GDPR compliance review, from assessment to implementation.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica made its name in TMT, and while the firm has broadened its reach, the sector remains a key area of focus. This is demonstrated in the breadth and range of its client base, from technology and telecoms giants, major banks and funds, through to local start-ups. This is supported by strong expertise, not just in corporate law and commercial litigation, but also in key areas such as employment, IP, competition and data protection. Managing partner Cătălin Grigorescu remains an important figure the market. Anca Grigorescu is active on the employment and tax side.
Other key lawyers:
‘Being a young technology company, it was particularly important for us to find the best business and legal advice for our seed financing round. With their no-nonsense approach, Catalin Grigorescu and his team were able to turn an otherwise fairly complex process into a smooth journey for us’
‘The professionalism of the individuals is exceptional. ’
Orange Business Services
Footprints for Retail
Banca Comercială Română (BCR)
German – Romanian Chamber of Industry and Commerce (AHK)
- Ongoing legal advice to Google on obligations and requirements under Romanian law, including commercial, data protection, consumer protection and IP advice, as well as the launch of YouTube Kids in Romania.
- Assisted Huawei on the necessary privacy and regulatory compliance needed for its Cloud Services business in Romania.
- Advised on Orange Business Services’ launch of IoT Connect Services (M2M connectivity) in Romania.
CMS is a popular choice for big ticket transactions, having been involved in some of the largest recent deals to hit Romania's TMT market. Managing partner Horea Popescu has a strong track record leading on cross-border mandates for major multinationals, often working closely with colleagues in London and the CEE region. The corporate side is supported by strong teams in other key area, including regulatory, employment and IP. Senior associate Mircea Moraru is well-regarded. Gabriel Sidere, who contributed disputes expertise, has left private practice.
Other key lawyers:
Radio Max Romania
- Advised Liberty Global on the Romanian aspects of the €18.4bn sale of its European assets to Vodafone.
- Advised a multinational professional services company on a complex outsourcing project.
- Advised Cosmo Consult in acquiring a group of IT companies operating in Hungary and Romania.
Filip & Company's multi-disciplinary team offers the full range of contentious and non-contentious support to its TMT clients. The team's reputation in telecoms and media, is reflected in its representation of major corporations such as RCS&RDS on matters ranging from copyright claims to multi-million Eurobond issues. Technology and robotics are other areas of expertise, as is advice to entrepreneurs and investors. The corporate side is handled by practice head Alexandru Birsan and partner Eliza Baias, with disputes head Catalin Alexandru leading on contentious matters. Associate Monica Statescu is a name to note.
‘As individuals they are open and transparent, giving you the feeling that you are listened. They have a solution focused attitude when looking to understand the case.’
‘Our company only works with selected lawyers in Romania and abroad, so when we need local legal assistance, we can only consider one of the best in the market. We had excellent references in relation to Filip & Company and this was confirmed by their immediate support and involvement. They were exactly what we knew and needed: swift but thorough in their work, very experienced and resourceful in finding the right legal solutions to employ for us, highly professional and, most of all, extremely efficient.’
‘The collaboration with Filip & Company is coordinated by Catalin Suliman. Also, Monica Statescu is part of the team and someone who needs to be mentioned. Both Catalin and Monica have huge know-how in the TMT, Competition and Corporate fields. Catalin was extremely resourceful in finding the right legal avenue for us in everything that we worked. He is fast and extremely effective. He knows how to handle a matter from all perspectives and he is doing it in a flawless manner, reason for which we will continue working with him and his team at Filip & Company.’
Digi Communications N.V.
- Assisting UiPath, a leading robotic process automation company, on various corporate, commercial matters, including the global expansion of its business to several jurisdictions worldwide and local competition assessments.
- Assisted the digital telecoms and media group Digi Communications N.V., and its Romanian subsidiary ,RCS & RDS S.A., on two bond issues totalling €850m.
- Defending RCS & RDS against a copyright infringement claim raised by another broadcaster concerning the retransmission of certain TV programmes.
Kinstellar's impressive stable of telecoms, IT and media clients, including Google, Microsoft and Canal+, is some clue to firm's reputation for TMT. The firm was recently involved in several major corporate takeovers in the media and IT space, representing a mix of strategic and private equity buyers. The team's advice goes beyond the transactional, with strong support on day-to-day issues, IP, and sector-specific regulatory matters. Non-TMT sector clients also regularly use the firm for data protection and IT procurement issues. Corporate partner Razvan Popa has is a key contact for this line of work.
- Advised CANAL+ Group on the multi-jurisdictional (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania) acquisition of M7 Group, one of the largest independent pay-TV operators in Europe, from Astorg, a European private equity firm.
- Advising Google on a cross-border matters, together with offices in Bratislava, Istanbul, Kyiv and Prague, regarding employees and third parties taking coronavirus tests as a condition of entering the workplace.
- Advising Microsoft on the local implementation, and related fee obligations, linked to the provisions of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive, the Batteries and Accumulators Directive, and the Packaging Waste Directive.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen has a deep bench of specialised TMT lawyers. This includes a dedicated data protection team led by partner Roxana Ionescu, which assists clients from across a wide range of industries. The overall telecoms and media team is led by the highly-rated Adina Chilim-Dumitriu, who brings a vast amount of corporate and regulatory experience to the table. The lawyers regularly handle major outsourcing and procurement projects, both for sponsors and bidders. On the telecoms and broadcasting side, the team often advises on licensing issues, and provides contentious support before regulators such as ANCOM.
Adina Chilim-Dumitriu; Roxana Ionescu
A3 Biometric Connections SRL
BCR Leasing IFN SA
Biroul Roman de Audit Transmedia
Brainly sp z.o.o.
- Assisting a global telecoms company on the acquisition of a 300-employee maintenance division from a telecoms equipment supplier.
- Assisting an online communications technology company on its authorisation in Romania.
- Assisting a major social media site on the regulatory implications of a cross-border acquisition.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA covers the full range of client needs in this industry. Clients operating outside of the sector, particularly those operating in heavily regulated industries such as life sciences, energy and financial services, regularly use the firm for IT procurement, data protection and cyber fraud issues. The group also has a good track record representing technology, telecoms and internet-based service providers on the full range of commercial, regulatory and litigation issues. The versatile Monica Iancu comes highly recommended, while managing partner Lucian Bondoc also brings a wide range of relevant experience for contract negotiations.
Monica Iancu; Lucian Bondoc
‘The TMT practice of Bondoc & Asociatii is very knowledgeable and their expertise in data privacy is premium. They are quick to deliver and thorough in their advice.’
‘Very pro-business approach, reacting quickly, with a thorough legal analysis behind. The lawyers understand our business and are able to integrate this into their advice. They are always very prompt, flexible and reliable.’
‘The team has very good knowledge of the law and an understanding of the clients’ needs. The lawyers are experienced, know the market, give sophisticated advice and have resources to advise on the most complex issues that may occur. The partner, Monica Iancu, finds the best legal solutions and is willing to accommodate our needs. Also, Andra Gheorghe, is a good professional who is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Lucian Bondoc and Monica Iancu have exceptional knowledge and dedication, a transparent and collaborative approach with just the right touch of discretion and appropriate communication skills.’
‘Cosmin Stavaru (partner) and Andra Turtoi (senior associate) are thorough, very knowledgeable and particularly responsive. The whole team delivers excellent advice overall.’
AFI EUROPE GROUP
APTIV TECHNOLOGY SERVICES & SOLUTIONS.
DANTE INTERNATIONAL SA (owner of EMAG retail online platform)
DELPHI DIESEL SYSTEMS ROMANIA
DOGAN MEDIA INTERNATIONAL
EGIS PHARMACEUTICALS PLC
FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE
INTERVET ROMANIA SRL (member of MSD Group)
MERCK SHARP & DOHME ROMANIA
ONEY FINANCES / ONEY BANK
PROFI ROM FOOD (owned by Mid Europa Partners)
RADIO FREE EUROPE
- Advising a major social media platform on all of its Romanian legal matters.
- Advising on all regulatory matters concerning PPF’s intended acquisition of one of the largest television broadcasters on the market.
- Advising an international investment group on all regulatory matters concerning the client’s planned acquisition of one of Romania’s largest telecoms companies.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA is a good choice of legal support for technology start-ups and venture capital firms. The firm offers a soup-to-nuts service that encompasses seed funding, business launches, employment, regulatory, IP and related tax issues. The firm also represents larger, more established telecoms, robotics, fintech and IT companies, who benefit from its global network and ability to handle complex cross-border issues. Ana-Maria Andronic heads the popular team, with strong support from competition head Livia Zamfiropol.
Other key lawyers:
NETOPIA INVESTMENTS SRL
SEEDBLINK CROWDFUNDING SRL
ROAD GRAND TOURS INC.
GEMINI SOLUTIONS SRL
WIPRO TECHNOLOGIES S.R.L.
VIAVI SOLUTIONS INC.
ADOBE SYSTEMS INC.
BRIGHT SPACES SRL
SIMARTIS TELECOM SRL
- Advising Wipro on TMT and employment issues.
- AdvisedRoad Grand Tours Inc. on the international restructuring of the client’s cross-border operations, including assignment agreements securing IP rights over the main asset of the group, as the company prepared for a venture capital round of investment.
- Assisted Simartis Telecom SRL in connection with the expansion of its software development activities with external partners.
Musat & Asociatii offers a good blend of regulatory, transactional and contentious expertise. Deputy managing partner Iulian Popescu leads the team, and is especially strong on regulatory and corporate matters. The firm boasts a selection of household names among its client base, including major telecoms operators, social media platforms and broadcasters, and works closely with international firms on cross-border transactions. In addition, the practice offers a solid foundation of support to smaller local companies and start ups. Associates Ana Maria Abrudan and Bianca Iorga are especially active on data protection and compliance issues.
Other key lawyers:
Ana Maria Abrudan; Bianca Iorga
VERIZON ROMANIA S.R.L.
SERVIER PHARMA S.R.L.
OVIDIUS CLINICAL HOSPITAL
- Advising Facebook on the EU law covering fixed and wireless telecoms, internet, and broadcasting and transmission services.
- Advising Verizon on various telecom matters, including representation before the National Authority for Management and Regulation in Communications (ANCOM).
- Advising Telekom Italia Sparkle on various telecoms matters.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii has an excellent reputation for transactional matters, but is also highly experienced on broader regulatory and commercial issues. The team has long-standing experience of telecoms and IT and represents a mix of cloud and mobile network service providers. This is complemented by good expertise in connected areas such as public procurement, data protection and dispute resolution. Ernest-Virgil Popovici has a good track record advising telecoms companies, while corporate partner Silviu Stoica regularly advises strategic and private equity investors on related transactions. Managing partner Florian Niţu is also active in this area.
Ernest-Virgil Popovici; Florian Nițu; Silviu Stoica
GTS Telecom, a company owned by Deutsche Telekom
VIA SMS Group
SAP Romania and SAP America
- Advised Orange Romania on the development of its premium TV service.
- Assisting Yandex Taxi with its entry into the Romanian market.
- Advised S&T on the implementation of a contract for the Integrated Informatic System to control of road traffic in Romania.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has an experienced cross-practice TMT offering that incorporates corporate finance, dispute resolution, competition and IP. The team has a good track record on cross-border deals, having advised on transactions across the entire sphere, including software, telecoms and media. Negotiating broadcasting rights is another area of strength. Managing partner Costin Tărăcilă and Mihai Ristici are both very active on the corporate and private equity front. Lucian Mihai is a key counsel on IP issues.
Costin Taracila; Mihai Ristici
Other key lawyers:
AROBS Transilvania Software
- Advised the shareholders of Intelligent IT, the company behind the billing software SmartBill, on the sale of the business to Norway’s Visma group.
- Advised Focus Sat, a satellite television company, on the broadcasting and IP rights for the broadcast of UEFA Champions League, Europa League, Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Romanian League 1 football, and other sports events.
- Representing communications agency, Zenith Media, in an antitrust litigation contesting a decision by the Romanian Competition Council for allegedly agreeing to exclude a competitor from the market.
Voicu & Filipescu SCA has developed a good niche representing clients in the IT, electronics and management services sectors. The team is especially experienced advising on IT outsourcing contracts and related day-to-day support such as employment, regulatory and data protection. More specialised expertise includes network reviews and interconnection and access charges. Practice head Marta Popa is noted for her work in the telecoms space.
Boanta, Gidei & Asociatii SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys)
Boanta, Gidei & Asociatii SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys) is has particular expertise in advising a diverse range of tech start-ups. The firm offers a comprehensive service, including commercial, procurement, IP and employment law, to new businesses. Recently it advised start-ups in the fintech, cloud infrastructure, consumer services and IT security spaces. The team, which includes partners Sergiu Gîdei and Krisztina Voicu, also has a good track record advising venture capital funds on their related investments.
Sergiu Gidei; Krisztina Voicu; Nicolae Ursu
‘We recommend with confidence Sergiu Gidei and Elena Sopotean – two experienced consultants, dedicated and focused on projects. Both have experience in TMT projects and have proof of understanding of our projects in which we have chosen them as partners.’
Benefit 7 Group
Vertical Seven Group
Sparking Capital Venture Fund
Pragmatic Play Group
- Represented Sparking Capital VC Fund in connection with its seed capital funding for several Romanian start-ups, including Bright Spaces, Questo, EcoTree, and KFactory.
- Advised Bunnyshell, a Romanian start-up that develops technologies for cloud infrastructure management, on a €750,000 funding from the Early Game Ventures investment fund and an angel investor.
- Advised the Romanian fintech start-up Moonlet on launching a cryptocurrency wallet product.
Buzescu Ca has a multi-faceted TMT practice which is well-versed on commercial, regulatory and litigation issues. An impressive client list includes Facebook and Google, as well as several online retailers and fintech companies. Major corporates also use the firm for related data protection issues, including support on data breaches. Experienced associate Corina Papuzu is one of the firm's lead lawyers in this area, with founding partner Peter Buzescu often getting involved on major corporate deals.
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsive, efficient service and good industry knowledge.’
‘The team are extremely practical and offer ‘hands on’ advice. They are very efficient and turn around the work very quickly. Their advice is easily understood and simple for us to implement. Given that we are a UK company they ensure that we have considered all implications of our actions so that we have a full picture of the legal options. ’
‘Corina Papuzu’s advice is to the point and she provides it with great efficiency.’
The Procter & Gamble Company
- Advising Google on the local Romanian requirements regarding call recording and compliance with the EU and Romanian data protection legislation.
- Advising Hotspots on the local legislation for hotspot products to companies and individuals, and the administration of data for billing and VPNs.
- Advised the cosmetics manufacturer Estee Lauder, on the notification of a data breach affecting its employees in Romania.
Eversheds Sutherland Romania has made strong in-roads into the telecoms market, representing a mix of domestic and international clients. The team, which is led by Cristian Lina, offers the full mix of transactional, regulatory and day-to-day advice. The firm has good experience of high-end bespoke projects, including business restructurings, cross-border M&A, and nationwide business and product launches.
E-Value International – member of the OTE – Cosmote Group
- Advising Telekom Romania on all corporate and commercial issues related to its day-to-day activity.
- Advising E-Value International on a range of legal issues, including data protection, privacy, electronic communication and other regulatory and compliance matters.
- Advice to Vodafone on various corporate, commercial and employment matters.
Reff & Associates SCA makes a compelling choice for TMT advice, particularly when working alongside Deloitte on major IT projects. This has included advice on app launches, digitalization projects and IT-related business ventures. The lawyers offer strong support on data protection and privacy matters, which was of increased relevance when employees were forced to work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. Corporate partner Georgiana Singurel leads the team and is also active in IP. Managing associate Silvia Axinescu and associate Cristina Iacobescu are both well regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Silvia Axinescu; Cristina Iacobescu
‘The practice is unique because they have staff always up to date with so many changes taking place in GDPR. We think that it’s the best practice we’ve worked with. ’
‘Their strengths are an extension of their talent and combined with very good knowledge and business minded approach, as a result the team provides us near-perfect solutions to our specific needs.’
‘We have used Deloitte and Reff & Associates in assisting with the gap assessment and monitoring our data processing activities. The combined approach of technical, risk consultants and lawyers specialized on data protection was a perfect mix which helped during our project.’
‘Unlike other law firms, considering also their affiliation to Deloitte and the multidisciplinary privacy team, the lawyers in Reff & Associates have the vision to look beyond purely legal aspects and identify key findings on privacy & data protection matters. ’
‘Andreea Bira and Silvia Axinescu have been always with us whenever we encounter issues of GDPR and compliance. They kept track of all our changes and transformation throughout our development.’
‘Silvia Axinescu is the lawyer we are working closing in this area. She’s always pleasant, flexible and determined to find out the best solution for us.’
‘Cristina Iacobescu stands out as an excellent professional, delivering high quality and well-rounded legal assistance with a primary focus in accommodating legal restrictions to business needs. She has been extremely responsive, intuitive in understanding and easily adaptive to the agile working environment. She constantly offered clear and inventive legal solutions to our complex requests, while also having the capacity to anticipate and prevent future potential obstacles. Her strong data privacy expertise was instrumental for the development of our application, and her customer-centric view enabled us to establish a friendly governance framework both internally and externally.’
‘Georgiana Singurel and Simina Mut (acting as partners) and Silvia Axinescu (acting as senior managing associate), all have a proactive attitude and constantly managing a swift cooperation in all matters – regarding not only Reff & Associates, but also the management of the relation between our company and the whole Deloitte structure in Romania and abroad.’
ING Bank Romania
RBC (Romanian Business Consult)
NEPI Rockcastle PLC
Lendrise Marketplace INC.
- Advising ING Bank Romania on the set up of a new application developed as part of an ING innovation initiative to be launched in several EU countries.
- Advising IKEA on various ongoing matters including the use of e-signature in documents, contractual arrangements with Glovo, (as part of its expansion of selling avenues in Romania), and employee related data protection matters associated with remote working on personal devices.
- Advising Clever Tech on a range of issues, including the legal nature of the vouchers and bonuses offered by the client during its marketing and promotional campaigns to its app users in Romania.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law is a good choice for IT start-ups, app launches, digitalisation projects, and related data protection issues. On the start-up side, the firm provides a full service, including advice on developer software agreements and IP protection. The firm also represents a selection of established companies on technology procurement projects. Venture capital funds also use the firm for due diligence and investment advice. Ana Maria Kusak leads the team, with strong support from Elena Stan.
Ana Maria Kusak
Other key lawyers:
‘ Partner Ana Kusak and her Senior Associate Elena Stan are very responsive and well-prepared. I was positively impressed by Elena Stan.’
‘Roxana Catea offers clear communication, is to the point, with high knowledge, supportive, and available.’
‘Ana Kusak has deep knowledge in the field of competition.
‘Madalina Spataru is supportive, knowledgeable, communicative, and available.’
World Class Romania S.A.
Drop & Go S.R.L.
BRAIN UP COLLECTIVE S.R.L.
GapMinder Venture Partners
- Advising World Class Romania S.A., on complex data protection matters, as well as the launch of World Class Online, a service to help members work out from home.
- Assisting Drop & Go, the creators of Romania’s first laundry app, on its software development service agreement, as well as drafting a franchise agreement.
- Assisting venture capital fund GapMinder with its investment into Romanian tech start-ups.
Wolf Theiss is extremely popular with clients, and is noted for its strong regional approach for cross-border matters. The team is strong on the corporate front, where practice head Ileana Glodeanu is especially active. The practice has good expertise in several sub-sectors such as fintech, while also offering support on industry-wide issues such as data protection and regulatory law. Senior associate Luciana Tache is recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘We came to Wolf Theiss in Romania with an urgent matter relating to an arcane and emerging area of the law. The practice worked together to provide a comprehensive and effective set of advice that was both useful and comprehensive.’
‘Strong support at all level of business development from start ups to large corporate. Hands on and involved partner time irrespective of deal size.’
‘Very responsive and excellent industry knowledge.’
‘Luciana Tache assisted us with regulatory advice. She was highly responsive in a short timeframe and her advice on difficult topics was clear and targeted with good industry knowledge.’
‘Partner Ileana Glodeanu stands out. Her advice was business-focused, comprehensive and timely, even under severe time constraints. It was a pleasure working with her.’
‘Ileana Glodeanu is very business oriented, open minded and willing to find mutually acceptable solutions.’