Firms in the Spotlight TMT
Mihai, Lucian ?i Asocia?ii
The employment practice is coordinated by Ileana Lucian who has over 16 years of experience in the employment field, being a well-known lawyer in this area. Her professional activity started in 2003 within a Romanian top tier law firm, where she held the position of partner in the employment department for more than 4 years.View Profile...
TMT in Romania
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has a comprehensive TMT practice that acts for some of the largest telecoms and media groups in the country. The practice has been very active on the transactional front in the past year, advising on several cross-border deals, and is also noted for its procurement and outsourcing expertise. The team also provides strong regulatory and litigation support, having appeared before authorities such as the National Authority for Consumer Protection. Cătălin Băiculescu and Vlad Cercel are leading figures in the market.
‘They have the capacity to plan, organize and manage resources very well. I got very well organised plans for action to our problems, presenting the risks and recommending the best legal approach, but also giving the option to our management to choose the best suitable solution for our business.’
‘The team delivers very high quality professional advice, demonstrating in depth knowledge of the industry and client’s business and needs.’
‘Vlad Cercel is a true high profile TMT specialist.’
‘Stefan Damian is astute and pragmatic. I expect outside counsel to engage on reasoning on strategic issues and he does this very well. He is an excellent partner for discussing practically anything that our business is confronted with.’
Telekom Romania and Telekom Romania Mobile
Clever Media Network Group
Ericsson Telecommunications Romania
Homerun Ciero, the local subsidiary of Playtika
- Advised Vodafone on the Romanian aspects of its acquisition of Liberty Global’s European assets, including domestic subsidiary, UPC Romania.
- Assisted Telekom Romania and Telekom Romania Mobile with the concession for the construction and operation of the backhaul elements of a Romanian communications network covering areas with no existing coverage.
- Acting for Ringier Sportal, a joint venture between Ringier Romania and Bulgaria’s Sportal Media Goup, on its acquisition of Gazeta Sporturilor the country’s main sports newspaper and its associated website.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica's standing in the market is confirmed by the calibre of its technology and media clients, and the variety of its work. From international IT giants such as Google, to local technology start-ups, Cătălin Grigorescu's team provides a comprehensive service. The firm has also set up BAC Grigorescu Capital Advisors, a joint venture with the regional investment bank BAC Investment Banking, which supports IT and technology start-ups with listing on Romania's alternative trading system, AeRO.
Deutsch – Rumänische Industrie- und Handelskammer AHK
- Advising Google on all of its Romanian legal matters, including, GDPR and right to be forgotten issues.
- Acting for Evonomix on various issues linked to its development of a flagship marketing influencer solution, Product Lead, including investment rounds with venture capital firms.
- Assisting Radio Smart with restructuring and financing involving a significant investment from local media company, Aleph Media.
CMS has an excellent track record representing major TMT companies on their most important matters. In recent work, the firm advised on some of the market's largest M&A and outsourcings, and the team is extremely experienced in related regulatory, competition and public procurement issues. The firm's integrated CEE network and close links to the UK makes it a top choice for multinationals. Horea Popescu has a very active presence in this sector.
Radio Max Romania
- Advising Liberty Global, including its Romanian subsidiary UPC, on the sale of its domestic assets to Vodafone, as part of a broader €18.4bn European asset sale.
- Advising cybersecurity company, BitDefender, and its majority shareholders, the Talpes Family, on the sale of a 30% stake to private equity firm Vitruvian Partners which valued the company at over $600m.
- Acting for Eurobank Group on a multi-jurisdictional IT outsourcing agreement with Accenture, which will provide the bank’s main data centre and disaster recovery data centres and associated infrastructure.
Filip & Company acts for some of the largest telecoms and media companies in the country. The cross-departmental team's has been particularly busy handling numerous matters for RCS & RDS, including corporate, financing, regulatory, and copyright issues. The practice also has a strong IT component, acting for leading developers in areas such as robotic automation and e-commerce. Alexandru Birsan leads he team, which also includes litigation head Catalin Alexandru and corporate partner Eliza Baias.
‘Good availability and customer centricity throughout entire project.’
RCS & RDS
Digi Communications N.V
Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB
- Advising RCS&RDS on the €140m acquisition by its Hungarian subsidiary of Invitel Távközlési, one of the leading satellite and cable operators in Hungary.
- Advising a major software developer on export control procedures for the software products it develops and licenses.
- Assisting software solutions company, Architected Business Solutions, with establishing a joint venture with Logo, a Turkish IT company.
Musat & Asociatii has strong transactional, regulatory and litigation expertise and acts for an impressive range of multinational IT and telecoms clients. The team regularly provides strategic advice on data protection and cybersecurity issues, and often represents clients before regulatory bodies such as the National Authority for Management and Regulation in Communications (ANCOM). Practice head Iulian Popescu has a formidable reputation for regulatory matters, while Razvan Stoicescu has good transactional expertise.
Telecom Italia Sparkle
Promedica 24 Central Europe
Magneti Marelli Automotive Cluj
ASSA Abloy Entrance Systems Production Romania
- Advising Facebook on privacy issues, and the EU law covering fixed and wireless telecoms, internet and broadcasting and transmission services.
- Acting for telecoms company Verizon on various regulatory issues before ANCOM.
- Advising Telekom Italia Sparkle on regulatory matters before ANCOM, including several challenging reporting procedures.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen has a top-notch standalone TMT practice, which acts for some of the largest telecoms companies in the market. Advice covers a wide range of areas including regulatory, litigation, transactional, and assistance with obtaining relevant authorisations. The team also has a good standing the technology market, where it is well equipped to handle major outsourcing and procurement projects. Adina Chilim-Dumitriu has an excellent reputation.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA acts for a mix of major clients in the media, technology and telecoms space. The work includes data privacy advice, particularly to media and IT clients, as well as corporate support. The team has particularly good experience advising non-technology clients, including those in the life sciences sector, on the evolution of technology within their industries, and how to apply it to new projects and ventures. Monica Iancu and Lucian Bondoc lead the team.
‘They have a very pro-business approach, reacting quickly, with a thorough legal analysis behind. The lawyers understand our business and are able to integrate these into their advice.’
‘Provide deep analysis combined with clear practical guidance. Always very prompt, flexible and reliable.’
Profi Rom Food
Dogan Media International
Aptiv Technology Services & Solutions
- Advising online retailer, Emag, on various IT projects, including a joint venture to create a virtual marketplace.
- Acting for Oney Finances, the financial arm of Auchan, on the development of a front-end payment solutions application.
- Assisting Dogan Media International with all issues, including the intersection between data privacy and free speech and journalistic independence.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA is an increasingly popular destination for technology start-ups and venture capital firms seeking legal advice. The firm has good experience advising clients in the AI, e-commerce, software development, fintech and telecoms sectors. This includes guidance on M&A, seed funding, regulatory and compliance, and related IP, tax and employment issues. Ana-Maria Andronic is the key name.
‘DLA Piper’s unique approach combines a very agile and skilled team with a serious know-how regarding all the legal aspects. That’s because they have a lot of expertise in areas such as Intellectual Property, due diligence procedures, Patents and company set-up. Also our communication with DLA Piper’s team is quite straightforward and focused on solving the problems.’
‘Ana Maria Andronic is extremely responsive and is fast in providing an answer, is proactive and very practical and client-oriented.’
Early Game Partners
Knowledge Investment Group
DCS Fast Link
- Assisted Early Game Partners with a €650,000 seed round of investment in SymphoPay, a Romanian company that adds marketing capabilities and analytics to points of sale devices.
- Assisting TMF Group with the sale of one of its software development subsidiaries to Arobs Transilvania Software.
- Advising artificial intelligence data analytics start-up, Knowledge Investment Group, on its AI contractual framework including licensing and re-seller agreements specific to the legal regime covering machine learning data.
Kinstellar is a popular choice with IT, media and telecoms clients, particularly when it comes to the implementation of multi-jurisdictional projects. Bogdan Bibicu has good expertise in the full range of regulatory, data protection, cybersecurity, and advertising issues, and also provides strong support on M&A and outsourcing deals. The firm is also praised for its related pro bono advice to NGOs.
‘The team led by Bogdan Bibicu was friendly and human, and they find the right balance between being perfectly professional and being genuinely interested to help beyond what was expected from them.’
De Brauw Blackstone Westbrock
The Walt Disney Company
Russing Med Holdings
Osborne Clarke LLP
Idea Bank S.A.
- Advising British Telecom on the Romanian legal framework relating to the retention and disclosure of data.
- Acting for IT security company, Eset, on its expansion into the Romanian market as well as day-to-day issues.
- Assisting De Brauw Blackstone Westbrock with the implementation of an integrated cybersecurity plan in multiple jurisdictions.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii provides a comprehensive service to its broad client base. The team has recently acted for several major international IT companies on their entry into the Romanian market. It provides strong contentious and non-contentious support on major public procurement contracts and is highly experienced in negotiating broadcast transmission agreements. Ernest-Virgil Popovici, Silviu Stoica and Florian Niţu are all jey names in this area.
GTS Telecom, a company owned by Deutsche Telekom
EBS, a company owned by NTT Data
VIA SMS Group
SAP Romania and SAP America
- Assisting Orange Romania with the development of its premium TV service, including the negotiation and review of retransmission and distribution agreements with content providers and broadcasting rights holders for major sports.
- Assisting online ride-hailing app, Yandex, with its high-profile entry into the Romanian market.
- Representing S&T in a dispute related to the public procurement contract for the implementation of an Integrated Informatic System for the control of road traffic in Romania.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA acts for a broad cross-section of domestic and international clients, and offers comprehensive support on transactional, litigation and related regulatory matters. The firm is especially strong on cross-border matters and IP protection. Mihai Ristici and managing partner Costin Tărăcilă are highly experienced in this area.
Paramount Pictures Corporation
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
Universal City Studios Productions
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment
Zenith Media (Publicis group)
- Acting for major Hollywood studios, including Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Walt Disney Studios, in their successful site blocking case, which was achieved by suing internet service providers to block pirate movie websites.
- Acting for software developer, Arobs Transilvania on the acquisition of SAS Grup, one of the main Romanian companies operating in the fleet-monitoring solutions field.
- Acting for communications agency, Zenith Media, in an antitrust case contesting a decision by the Romanian Competition Council concerning alleged abuse of dominant position.
Voicu & Filipescu SCA is a popular choice for strong support on outsourcing, management services, regulatory compliance, and specialised areas such as network reviews, and interconnection and access charges. The firm acts for several major IT, telecoms and management consultants. Marta Popa has a good reputation.
Corina Papuzu leads the team at Buzescu Ca, which is highly regarded by clients. The firm is particularly strong on related regulatory and corporate issues, acting for clients from within and outside the sector on their technology and data issues. Recently, the group has advised several household names on the notification of data breaches and data transfer procedures.
‘The team provides focused advice that is directly catered for us and unique for us. They turnaround work fast and efficiently. They will go above and beyond to provide guidance that they think is relevant to us.‘
‘They always provide quick feedback and proper solutions. The team handled issues of both local and international coverage with efficiency, promptitude and professionalism. They are in contact with people in our company from different countries and offices and always were available for any questions or clarifications we needed.‘
‘Corina Papuzu is very efficient in the provision of her advice and will break down steps that we need to follow in simplistic ways to make things easy for us.‘
- Advising cosmetics company Estée Lauder on the notification of a data breach affecting its Romanian employees.
- Acting for oilfield services company, Schlumberger, on a joint venture to create an oilfield automation solutions provider.
- Assisting social networking and blogging website, Tumblr, with the notification of a data breach concerning the personal data of its users.
Eversheds Sutherland Romania's client list includes several high-profile telecoms companies, which it advises on a range of day-to-day, regulatory, restructuring and commercial issues. Cristian Lina has a long track record representing major clients in the market.
‘The TMT practice of Eversheds Sutherland in Romania is well established. The firm has one of the few teams on the market which understands the sector very well from all points of view. In fact, this is the added value they bring: an intimate knowledge of the sector, from commercial aspects to business restructuring.’
‘Cristian Lina, Managing Partner, has been working on transactions in the TMT sector for more than 10 years. He is a true business person in addition to being a lawyer with extraordinary skills when it comes to finding solutions for passing a camel through the eye of a needle.’
‘Cristian Guia is a safe pair of hands, extremely reliable and with excellent knowledge of the sector.’
‘Carolina Pletniuc is a senior associate who is very fast, personable and who keeps her wits about her even in most unpredictable circumstances.’
E-Value International – member of the OTE – Cosmote Group
- Advising Telekom Romania on all corporate and day-to-day issues.
- Assisting E-Value International, a member of the OTE-Cosmote Group, with all issues including regulatory and contractual matters.
- Acting for Vodafone Romania on various corporate, commercial and employment issues.
Reff & Associates SCA has been kept busy recently advising clients on their GDPR compliance issues. The team also has solid expertise assisting with electronic signatures, IP, outsourcing, e-commerce and digital media matters. The group, which is led by corporate head Georgiana Singurel, also advises TMT clients on transactional issues.
‘I especially appreciate the promptness and availability of the team, the way they give that feeling of comfort that they are in the same boat with you and that a proper solution is to be found, even where there does not seem to be one.’
‘All members of the team are true professionals and stand out in the crowd.’
The Romanian Ministry of Communications and Information Society
Lendrise Marketplace Inc.
Intesa San Paolo Bank
UP Romania (former Cheque Dejeuner Romania)
Nepi Rockcastle PLC
- Advising Ipso on a gap assessment in relation to its marketing activities and their compliance with GDPR.
- Handling a gap assessment for ING Bank in relation to its data processing activities and how they comply with GDPR.
- Advising Avon Cosmetics on its online marketing activities and the validity of new technology to be used by the client as an electronic signature.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law has a good track record advising technology start-ups and venture capital funds on the full range of transactional, regulatory and day-to-day issues. Managing partner Silviu Stratulat handles the transactional side, while Ana Maria Kusak is strong on IP, media, and advertising issues.
‘They have continued to provide valuable, thoughtful insight over the two years we have been working with them. They are problem-solving oriented, and do not simply give ‘no’ answers when we are exploring a new possibility, instead seeking to provide genuine practical answers whenever possible.’
‘Elena Stan, Madalina Spataru, and Ana Maria Kusak are all excellent, timely and considered contacts who have made working with the firm an absolute pleasure. They are friendly and informed, able to respond to queries quickly with information readily rather than having to go away and research the topics. Communications skills are superior to many other firms worked with and they are all credits to the firm.’
World Class Romania
Edward Neuk Company (creator and developer of the Kuende social platform)
Gap Minder Venture Partners
- Advising health club chain, World Class Romania, on the implementation of new technology to help with access to the clubs.
- Acting for Edward Neuk Company, the creator and developer of the Kuende social platform, on various technology law, data protection and IP matters.
- Assisting venture capital fund, GapMinder, with its investment into Romanian tech start-up, SmartDreamers.
Wolf Theiss has good expertise advising clients from a variety of sectors on major IT projects and their network requirements. The team also acts for several significant telecoms operators on a wide range of regulatory, transactional and litigation issues, and has been very active on the GDPR front. Maria Maxim leads the team.
‘The TMT team is a very strong one due to the level of expertise and the experience achieved in various connected technical domains.’
‘Always fast, articulate and ready to implement legal solutions along with an outstanding capacity to deliver in tense situations.’
‘Maria Maxim is a complete consultant who combines skills achieved in different areas of practice, such as data protection, antitrust, compliance and telecoms. She is a very dedicated professional and offers efficient and flexible solutions for the clients based also on a very strong legal background.’
‘Ligia Berbecar provides outstanding coverage of legal topics in this practice (along with competition and regulatory issues).’
Electronic Alarms Systems
Romanian Payments Association (APERO)
KMG International N.V.
Romanian Banking Institute
Romanian Competition Council
- Advising the Romanian Payments Association on the integration of an online public platform with a banking platform for online payment purposes.
- Assisting First Bank with its anti-money laundering compliance and the integration of a new AML application into its IT system.
- Acting for investment management company, WorldQuant Research on a range of data privacy and related IP issues.