bpv Grigorescu Stefanica offers a comprehensive TMT practice with ‘great expertise and valuable team of lawyers’. The cradle-to-grave service covers all corners of the market, from the start-up sector where it represents emerging companies and venture capital funds, through to established global IT giants such as Google and Tencent Group, on their Romanian operations. The lawyers are also noted for their cross-border expertise, where ‘their knowledge of matters specific to high-growth technology companies was clear‘. Managing partner Catalin Grigorescu is ‘very responsive and was able to provide clear technical advice very swiftly‘. Clients also rate the ‘very proactive and reliable‘ Daniel Stefanica and the ‘smart and deep‘ managing associate Cezara Constantinescu.
Firms in the Spotlight TMT
Mihai, Lucian si Asociatii
The employment practice is coordinated by Ileana Lucian who has over 16 years of experience in the employment field, being a well-known lawyer in this area. Her professional activity started in 2003 within a Romanian top tier law firm, where she held the position of partner in the employment department for more than 4 years.View Profile...
TMT in Romania
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Stefanica; Cezara Constantinescu
‘The team at bpv GRIGORESCU STEFANICA continually provides us with expert, tailor-made legal advice. We especially value the high level of professionalism and engagement they show in their work, irregardless of the complexity of the task. They work efficiently as a team and make use of their exceptional local law expertise to support us in a wide variety of legal issues. Over the past 6 years of working with the law firm, we’ve never received anything less than outstanding.’
‘All members of the bpv GRIGORESCU STEFANICA team are highly skilled, legal professionals, who are able to work both independently and as part of a team. Each team member has a great knowledge of Romanian and EU law regulations and is ready to provide support even under pressure of tight deadlines.’
‘We are working with bpv Grigorescu Stefanica for many years due to their knowledge of the market context and of the competitive environment in which we operate. They are well known for their great expertise and valuable team of lawyers, experts in many practice areas, that helped us have the desired results.’
‘The services that Partner Daniel Stefanica and Cezara Constantinescu, Managing associate, have provided were excellent indeed. Daniel has great expertise, he is very proactive and reliable. He is always there when you need advice. I have appreciated Cezara’s highly understanding and handling of multidisciplinary projects, her involvement and responsiveness. She’s smart and deep, she looks at a problem from multiple angles. A great lawyer.’
‘I was impressed with the firm’s venture capital and technology practice. We worked with them on a complex international transaction and their knowledge of matters specific to high-growth technology companies was clear.’
‘We worked primarily with Catalin Grigorescu, who was very responsive and was able to provide clear technical advice very swiftly. Catalin is the firm’s managing partner but always seemed to be available.’
Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual)
- Legal adviser to Google in Romania, on all matters relating to product compliance and regulatory, commercial advice, intellectual property, privacy and data protection, employment and taxation, as well as all types of litigation.
- Advised the Chinese multinational conglomerate holding company Tencent Holdings, whose subsidiaries specialize in various Internet-related services and products, regarding the launch of its platform in Romania.
- Advised Fitbit Inc. regarding the mandatory registration and notification requirements for medical device manufacturers in Romania, considering both the national and EU legal framework.
Filip & Company‘s lawyers are recommended for their ‘technical knowledge and their flexibility and pragmatic approach‘. The practice is hugely experienced on the telecoms side, where it represents the Romanian telecoms provider and broadcaster RCS&RDS on the full range of corporate, IP, regulatory and litigation issues. Coupled with this is a strong following on the IT side where it is acting for several of the country’s largest emerging companies, including UiPath, as well as established global software and hardware providers. Corporate partner Alexandru Birsan leads the highly-rated team, which includes recently promoted partner Monica Statescu . Competition head Cătălin Suliman is also recommended for his ‘industry knowledge and practical way of dealing with complex aspects’.
‘Their team is incredible good because they have TMT practice in almost all the areas – competition, M&A, taxes.’
‘Filip & Company is one of the reputable firms in the media and technology areas. We appreciated them for both their technical knowledge and their flexibility and pragmatic approach. Also, they manage to deliver timely responses in a very user-friendly manner – this trait being highly appreciated by the business team. Both their TMT team, as well as the firm have a unique business approach, similar to a partnership with the client rather than a pure service provider. Their entrepreneurial way of dealing with things helps a lot especially in complex cases where brief strategic advice is needed.’
‘We are working with Catalin Suliman on TMT matters. We appreciated his industry knowledge and practical way of dealing with complex aspects. He manages to deliver a clear message even in complex cases and he is constantly trying to offer solutions or alternatives to the business. We appreciate his direct and diplomatic approach and his work ethic (the advice is always provided timely even if this means working extra hours). Another key point is his flexibility and business oriented approach combined with industry and legal knowledge.’
Romanian Business Consult
Octavian Radu and Vicentiu Zorzolan
- Assisting UiPath, a leading robotic process automation company in relation to various corporate and commercial matters, including the extension of its business to several jurisdictions worldwide and competition assessments.
- Assisted Digi Communications, the leading regional telecommunications and media group and its Romanian subsidiary, RCS & RDS, in issuing two series of senior secured bonds totaling €850 million.
- Defending RCS & RDS against a claim raised by a broadcaster based concerning an alleged infringement of its copyrights in relation to the retransmission of its TV programmes.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen has top-level credentials across several strands of TMT-related issues. The firm’s corporate and commercial practice attracts a strong flow of work from an impressive range of household name telecoms and technology clients, including advice on M&A, divestitures, business launches and reorganisations. This is built on an impressive foundation of support in key areas such as regulatory, litigation and data privacy. Client commend the ‘expert level of knowledge and creative thinking wrapped up in a down to earth approach which includes local regulatory trends‘. Partner Adina Chilim-Dumitriu leads the TMT side of the practice, while fellow partner Roxana Ionescu manages the data protection front. Clients also rate experienced associate Alina Vizitiu.
Adina Chilim-Dumitriu; Roxana Ionescu
‘Excellent knowledge of the local market and provides solid practical advice. Responsive to client needs and timings. Good relationships with local regulator.’
‘Alina Vizitiu is our primary contact and is responsive and gets the job done. She has handled general regulatory compliance advice, assistance with registrations and responding to information requests.’
‘Expert level of knowledge and creative thinking wrapped up in a down to earth approach which includes local regulatory trends/interpretations in every advice provided.’
‘Approachable, well prepared professionals which deliver concrete, applicable and well explained advice.’
‘The team is very prompt, very reliable, attentive to the way in which the legal advice requested can be useful for the business.’
A3 Biometric Connections
ING Bank N.V. Amsterdam – Bucharest Branch
Zoom – ZVC Netherlands
NTT Data Communications
- Assisting Vodafone on the transfer of a business division belonging to a worldwide telecommunication supplier, which was carrying out managed/maintenance services on our client’s fixed and mobile telecom network.
- Drafting ING Bank’s challenge against the Data Protection Authority’s imposition of an €80,000 sanction for non-compliance with data protection requirements.
- Advising Zoom on its launch in Romania and its authorisation with the regulator ANCOM.
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has ‘an outstanding reputation for all areas of TMT, including new technologies such as fintech, cloud services and AI‘. The practice is also noted for its strong expertise in data privacy and GDPR where partner Ciprian Timofte ‘has a wealth of practical experience in this sector and his advice is always well-informed and thorough‘. The firm acts for a broad clientbase including internet service providers, TV, media and telecoms companies, and IT hardware and software giants. In addition to corporate M&A and restructuring projects, the practice is also noted for its IP, litigation, outsourcing, compliance and regulatory advice. The team also has experience advising tech startups. Other key partners include the ‘terrific‘ Catalin Baiculescu , who is ‘an excellent negotiator‘, and Vlad Cercel . Clients also rate the ‘thoughtful, pragmatic and reliable‘ senior associate Florentina Petrisor.
Vlad Cercel; Catalin Baiculescu; Ciprian Timofte
‘Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii’s TMT team is perhaps the most knowledgeable team with respect to data privacy issues in Romania. Their lawyers are highly experienced with the entire spectrum of data privacy legal concerns, from regulatory compliance, advice on GDPR, cross-border data transfers, data breach management to implementing customized information and data management policies and procedures within companies. They have a complete knowledge of global privacy, cybersecurity and data protection laws and are quick and effective in assessing the implications and any related risks.’
‘Ciprian Timofte heads the data privacy team. He has a wealth of practical experience in this sector and his advice is always well-informed and thorough, sensitive to our business needs as well as to the applicable legal requirements. Ciprian easily navigates through a growing body of privacy laws and is always up to date with any new developments in this field. I really enjoy working with him and his team. Also of note is Florentina Petrisor, who is thoughtful, pragmatic and reliable.’
‘I’ve had a very good working experience with the TMT team from Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii, the main reason for which I chose them as our legal advisor being this firm’s extensive credentials in the TMT sector and especially in the media/audiovisual sector.’
‘Catalin Baiculescu: he is collaborative in his approach to working with clients and very focused on helping the client achieve their objectives. Where I think Catalin is different than other lawyers in the market is his can-do attitude and his multidisciplinary background. On the TMT front, he is a terrific lawyer: excellent knowledge of the law, extremely well-prepared and ready to tackle any challenge.’
‘There is nothing bad one can say about this team, all lawyers display strong commitment, speed of delivering high-quality advice and flexibility. They have an outstanding reputation for all areas of TMT, including new technologies such as fintech, cloud services and AI.’
‘Catalin Baiculescu is the lawyer I’ve mostly entered into contact with. He is a smooth negotiator and excellent drafts person. He is diligent, reliable and smart, overall a great TMT lawyer.’
‘Very experienced and competent as regards all legal aspects arising in the media sector. They are all knowledgeable in how to address matters and find the right solutions. I strongly recommend this firm as regards TMT.’
‘Catalin Baiculescu is the first name that crosses my mind. Very good at relationship building and going above and beyond to meet the needs of clients in a timely fashion. He has a passion for technology and has a unique understanding of the TMT industry meaning he is capable to provide well rounded and sound advice in this area. Excellent negotiator as well, he is very detail-oriented but at the same time he never loses sight of the big picture.’
‘TZA has one of the most noteworthy data privacy teams in Romania. I would rank them above their competitors in terms of theoretical knowledge, proactivity, business acumen and client service.’
‘Ciprian Timofte is the right person to work with on any data privacy project. I appreciate him for his solid advice, availability, service orientation and pragmatism.’
‘1. Innovative / out of the box solutions for client`s needs; 2. Commitment to customer`s needs; 3. Good knowledge and understanding of client`s business activity; 4. Flexibility in organizing meetings according to client`s request.’
‘Ciprian Timofte – the partner of Data Protection team from Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii – is one of the best GDPR experts from Romanian market. In providing assistance to its clients, he combines the legal knowledge with IT and Technology expertise. Also, he takes into consideration the business interest of client.’
Telekom Romania and Telekom Romania Mobile
Clever Media Network Group
Ericsson Telecommunications Romania
Creative Media Development
AIK Energy Londra – Sucursala Bucuresti
- Advising Clever Media Network Group in its bid to acquire Prima TV, one of the largest TV stations in Romania.
- Advising ATTP Telecommunications, part of Clever Media Network Group, in relation to the acquisition of Digital Cable Systems and AKTA Telecom.
- Advising the owners of Comarket, a B2B digital platform for the HoReCa industry, on an initial €350,000 investment, and in relation to raising €187,500 as seed investment further to Comarket’s listing on the SeedBlink platform.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA offers a wide-ranging practice with strong experience of the IT, media, and life sciences sectors. In addition to advising advising high-profile media, IT and internet service providers on corporate, regulatory, IP and data privacy issues, the firm has a good track record of representing end-users from across a broad spectrum of industries. This includes advice to clients in the energy sector on the implementation of high-end IT and software programs, as demonstrated by the firm’s advice to Restart Energy. Key partners include Monica Iancu, who is highly regarded for corporate and regulatory matters, and managing partner Lucian Bondoc.
Monica Iancu; Lucian Bondoc
AFI EUROPE GROUP
APTIV TECHNOLOGY SERVICES & SOLUTIONS
BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO (BAT)
BFS Molecular (currently part of the CareDX group)
CLARIANT PRODUCTS ROMANIA
DANTE INTERNATIONAL (owner of EMAG, largest online retailer in Romania and CEE)
DELPHI DIESEL SYSTEMS
DOGAN MEDIA INTERNATIONAL
ELENA MARTIN AESTHETICS
FINEXPERT – BOSCOLO (member of Crowe Global)
FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE
INTERVET ROMANIA (member of MSD Group)
MERCK SHARP & DOHME ROMANIA (MSD)
ONEY FINANCES / ONEY BANK
ORGANON BIOSCIENCES (member of MSD Group)
PROFI ROM FOOD
RADIO FREE EUROPE
- Advised Restart (one of the largest Romanian independent electricity and natural gas suppliers) in connection with e-electricity related matters including various IT issues linked to the implementation and operation of a decentralized energy platform that rewards green energy certificates to consumers of renewable energy.
- Advising one of the largest social platforms on all Romanian law matters concerning its activity in Romania.
- Advises PPF in connection with all regulatory issues concerning its acquisition of CME media group, one of the largest broadcasters in the country, in a €1.2. billion transaction covering several European jurisdictions.
CMS is praised for its ‘consistent quality across all geographies‘ and its ‘reliable, quick, responsive‘ service. Clients included major global names operating in the IT, media and telecoms sectors, and the firm assists on a broad range of high end corporate, regulatory and procurement mandates. In addition to the firm’s strong cross-border offering, start-up clients also benefit from its equIP legal support programme, which offers a discounted service and aims to assist companies grow internationally. Managing partner Horea Popescu leads the team, which also includes experienced counsel Cristina Popescu and Mircea Moraru .
Other key lawyers:
Cristina Popescu; Mircea Moraru
‘International organisation with consistent quality across all geographies. Good teaming/collaboration across countries.’
‘Reliable, quick, responsive.’
Romanian Business Consult (RBC)
Tech Data Advanced Solutions
Tech Data Distribution Sro Praga – Sucursala Bucuresti
- Advising Neurolaboratories Limited, an Artificial Intelligence software start-up company registered in the CMS equIP programme, with respect to day-to-day legal issues.
- Advised Finqware, a financial API aggregation platform which is a member of the CMS equIP programme, with respect to day-to-day legal issues.
- Advised Alten group in restructuring its Romanian operations.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA has a ‘very knowledgeable and very comprehensive‘ TMT group, that is especially experienced in advising venture capital and start-up companies. Key members include Ana-Maria Andronic, a counsel who also heads the well-regarded IP practice, and competition head Livia Zamfiropol who is especially strong on regulatory, contractual and data privacy issues. The firm’s international network gives it a strong edge on cross-border matters, while the domestic practice has built up a strong reputation representing clients from across the start-up spectrum, with the crowdfunding platform, Seedblink, being a notable example. Established telecoms companies, such as Vodafone, also regularly instruct the firm.
Ana-Maria Andronic; Livia Zamfiropol
‘They are very professional and very knowledgeable. I have worked with them for multiple years now and every time the issues were solved on time, and especially on budget. I really appreciated them being very knowledgeable and very comprehensive in their approach. I highly recommend them.’
‘Lidia Dutu – very knowledgeable; provided a very detailed report on the matter from a tax perspective, really taking into account all implications.’
VODAFONE ROMANIA SA
GREEN HORSE GAMES
INTERNATIONAL PERSONAL FINANCE
- Assisted Green Horse Games, a Romanian mobile gaming studio, on intellectual property and data protection related questions arising from a due diligence exercise.
- Assisted Vodafone in connection with its GDPR roles and responsibilities in relation to its vendors and business customers, as well as advice on its recent merger with UPC.
- Ongoing advice to Seedblink Crowdfunding on the development of its online crowdfunding platform, as well as setting-up its data privacy compliance framework.
Kinstellar has a ‘very hard working and result oriented team of lawyers’ with good experience of the TMT sector. The team is especially active on the transactional and corporate front, and has provided local and regional support on several high profile M&As. The practice also advises technology and telecoms clients on day-to-day commercial and regulatory issues, including business launches in Romania. Corporate partner Zsuzsa Csiki, praised for her ability to ‘drive a deal towards the finish line with very efficient transaction coordination and streamlining of complex deal structures‘, currently leads the team following the retirement of former practice head Razvan Popa.
‘Their energy and responsiveness are unique. A very hard working and result oriented team of lawyers.’
‘Zsuzsa Csiki can drive a deal towards the finish line with very efficient transaction coordination and streamlining of complex deal structures. Zsuzsa is very knowledgeable and can tackle any complex matters, with efficient negotiations and unique contract drafting skills. She is driven by ambition and a unique energy, proactive and a problem solver.’
Court Square Capital Partners
J2 Global Inc.
Wayfair Stores Limited
Modis Competence Center
Key Way Group Limited
- Advised the private equity firm, Court Square Capital Partners, on the due diligence process and Romanian law implications of the acquisition of Connatix Holding – a company operating next-generation video platforms for publishers.
- Advising Mobileum, a designer and developer of data analytics solutions, on the Romanian law implications of its planned acquisition of Niometrics – a network analytics company.
- Advised GTT Communications, a global provider of internet network and cloud networking services, on the divestiture of its infrastructure assets and sale to a third-party buyer.
Musat & Asociatii is recommended for its full service TMT offering. The firm represents several high profile clients operating in the telecoms and technology markets, including Facebook and Verizon. The practice is especially active on the regulatory front for its telecoms clients, and also provides good support on transactional and contentious issues. Deputy managing partner Iulian Popescu leads the team, which is noted for its ‘total availability and ease of communication‘. Corporate partner Razvan Stoicescu is also singled out for praise, while associate Ana Maria Abrudan has a broad understanding of technology-related matters, including e-commerce and software development and licensing.
‘As there are multi specialised teams dealing with the issues, it is possible to have a full view and discussions about different topics.’
‘An extreme commitment to legal aspects and practice in the country. Total availability and ease of communication.’
‘Musat’s TMT team is well seasoned and time standing. Working with them I come to realize the value added holistic advice they provide whilst handling complex technical and regulatory mandates.’
‘The capability to answer to all the parameters required by our company.’
‘Availability, flexibility and good reactions.’
‘Razvan Stoicescu has a great team of young and inspired lawyers. He manages them well and also is able to allocate associate resources adequately to client’s needs.’
‘Ana Maria Abrudan is our point of contact. She has a solid understanding of the Romanian telecoms market. Combining legal skills with a solid understanding of the client’s business model is key to success.’
TELECOM ITALIA SPARKLE
OVIDIUS CLINICAL HOSPITAL
FUTURE HEALTHCARE ROMANIA
MAGNETI MARELLI AUTOMOTIVE CLUJ
- Advising Verizon on various telecom matters, including representing the client before the National Authority for Management and Regulation in Communications (ANCOM).
- Advising Telekom Italia Sparkle, a global telecommunications company, on various telecom matters.
- Advising Facebook on EU and regulatory matters.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii has a good track record advising major telecoms and IT companies on a wide range of issues. The firm is especially strong on the transactional front and has been involved in several high profile M&As within the sector in the past year. This is in addition to strategic corporate advice on business and product launches, as well as support on procurement contracts, both to suppliers and customers. Partners such as Ernest-Virgil Popovici , Silviu Stoica and Mihaela Ion are active on corporate matters. Florian Nițu and Alexandru Ambrozie are the two main contacts on the public procurement front.
Ernest-Virgil Popovici; Bogdan Stoica; Silviu Stoica; Mihaela Ion
GTS Telecom, a company owned by Deutsche Telekom
- Advised Orange Romania on the acquisition of a 54% controlling stake in Telekom Romania Communication, one of Romania’s leading fixed telecom operators; and the development of its premium TV service.
- Advised Yandex Taxi on its entry into Romania.
- Advised S&T on the implementation of a contract for the Integrated Informatic System for the control of road traffic in Romania.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has an active transactional practice that represents investors, entrepreneurs and start-ups operating within the technology and telecoms sectors. In addition to equity and debt investments, the firm also has a good track record on IP, licensing, technology transfer, joint ventures and distribution agreements, as well as broader regulatory issues. The past year saw the firm advise several target companies subject to high profile venture capital investments. Key contacts include corporate partners Costin Tărăcilă , who regularly acts for private equity funds on their investments into the sector, and Mihai Ristici , who handles M&A and day-to-day commercial matters.
Costin Taracila; Mihai Ristici
AROBS Transilvania Software
- Advised 123FormBuilder and its shareholders, Catalyst Romania, Florin Cornianu and Adrian Gheara, on the investment of 212, a venture capital fund specialised in tech companies.
- Advised the founders of Keez on the sale of the majority stake to Visma Group, one of the largest software development companies in Romania.
- Advised IV Future on its transaction with THE HUT.COM, concerning a unique platform designed to generate online stores.
Wolf Theiss is praised for its strong regional presence and ‘their highly efficient cooperation between their headquarters in Vienna and their local offices’. This integration has proved particularly useful to TMT companies operating throughout CEE, and the firm has been involved in several significant cross-border transactions in the past year. Major telecoms and IT providers use the firm for regulatory and day-to-day commercial matters, and the firm’s lawyers are often involved in major IT outsourcing, cloud computing, data protection and e-commerce projects. Practice head Ileana Glodeanu is singled out for ‘her ability to bring to the table complex points in an easy to understand manner‘.
‘I have discovered in WT Romania a great team willing to go the extra-mile to provide opportunities for clients even beyond immediate billable time. While our work in the TMT space did not result in an immediate transaction as we decided to pursue a different approach and raised debt on the local market. They were very supportive in providing access to the partner network in the region, a good process understanding and availability to invest in a very early opportunity. Similarly, despite being the market leader in TMT large transactions they were willing to allocate time for due diligance support for early stage startups, with helpful connection to larger industry players.’
‘Ileana Glodeanu – despite being involved in most of the large local transaction we benefited for great support and access to her network. Always available to look at the bigger picture.’
‘We have been working with Wolf Theiss for over four years now, in various jurisdictions. What stands out is their highly efficient cooperation between their headquarters (Vienna) and their local offices. This gives us outstanding local expertise coupled with swift partner availability whenever overarching topics arise.’
‘Our local experts are indeed experts in their field. They were ready to support us from day one and helped us navigate even when the waters got rough (due to circumstances beyond our reach).’
‘The vast experience of the team, adapting complex solutions designed in other deals to issues at the table. Close to local entrepreneurs. Advantage of CEE presence, meaning access to best practice and resources from other offices.’
‘Creativity to find solution to make the deal happen is a strong point of Ileana Glodeanu. Also, her ability to bring to the table complex points in an easy to understand manner. Meeting tight deadlines is also worth mentioned. Close to her clients, pushing the deals ahead meaning also putting effort to educate entrepreneurs on deal issues, on other consultants that could be an asset for the deal. Luciana Tache is extremely hardworking.’
‘The team has excellent knowledge about the industry, scalable to any project and the collaboration with both the client and counterparty makes for a really good process.’
‘Ileana Glodeanu is highly commercial and an excellent negotiator. Sarah Wared has good industry knowledge, is commercial and available on short notice also with new drafts.’
Elvaston Capital Management
MHC Software LLC
Oracle Romania SRL
Total Specific Solution (TSS) B.V.
Electronic Alarms Systems S.R.L.
- Asisting Glovoapp23 in the multijurisdictional acquisition of the operations of another food delivery platform operating in Romania, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina through a complex share and asset acquisition.
- Assisting VISMA in the recent acquisition of a 51% stake in the Romanian company Digital Keez, an IT company offering complete accounting services through an app designed especially for entrepreneurs.
- Assisting AT&T Services on pandemic-related issues including legislative changes and their operational and employment implications, as well as travel restrictions and subsidies implemented in Romania.
Boanta, Gidei & Asociatii SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys)
Boanta, Gidei & Asociatii SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys) has an active TMT practice with a particularly strong focus on Romania’s burgeoning start-up sector, where it represents both start-up companies and corporate and fund investors. The firm had a busy 2021 and was involved in over 15 transactions for businesses with an aggregate value of over €45 million. Clients and target companies work across a range of sectors including fintech, agri-tech, gaming and digital marketing. Sergiu Gîdei has almost 20 years’ experience in the market, regularly advising on corporate, IP and tax issues. Krisztina Voicu is another key partner with particularly good expertise in data privacy, regulatory and competition matters.
Sergiu Gidei; Krisztina Voicu
Vertical Seven Group
Sparking Capital Venture Fund
Pragmatic Play Group
Silo Software Consulting
Ingram Micro Distribution
- Advising the Romanian start-up SMARTIT GLOBAL, which operates ING Romania’s DealWise discount platform, launched last year, and its 2021 fundraising campaign via the SeedBlink equity platform.
- Assisting Holde Agri on its strategic investment into AgroCity, a Romanian agro-tech start-up.
- Advising the investment fund Sparking Capital on financings to various Romanian start-ups, in fields such as: Questo (gaming), K Factory (manufacturing), Eco Tree (waste management), Product Lead (digital marketing).
Buzescu Ca is praised for being ‘very easy to deal with‘ and providing ‘good practical advice‘. The firm offers a full service to its clients who come from across a range of sectors, with good support in key areas such as employment, IP and tax. The team has a good track record on IT-related corporate transactions, such as its advice to Algolia on its acquisition of MorphL AI. End-users also use the firm on contractual matters with IT suppliers, as well as broader data privacy and GDPR issues. The ‘extremely efficient‘ associate Corina Papuzu heads the team, with founder Peter Buzescu often acting as lead partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have always been very impressed with the firm. They are transparent and reasonable with their fees. The work is turned around quickly and to a high standard. They are knowledgeable and understanding of the fact we don’t know the Romanian legal system to the extent we do the UK system. They are very easy to deal with and provide good practical advice that is easy to implement.’
‘Although Peter Buzescu is the lead Partner in respect to our services. Corina Papuzu carries out the day to day legal work. Corina is extremely efficient, her advice is precise and practical.’
The Procter & Gamble Company
- Advised Algolia with regard to its recent acquisition of MorphL AI, an AI technology company.
- Advised Blackstone on employee-related data protection matters, including the collection and processing of personal data and explicit consent requirements.
- Advised LC Waikiki on the transfer of the personal data of its employees outside the EU.
Eversheds Sutherland Romania had a busy year advising on several high-profile corporate transactions within the telecoms sector. A highlight was advising Greece’s OTE Group on the sale of its stake in Telekom Romania Communications to Orange. The firm’s international network makes it a favoured choice for cross-border mandates, including regional company reorganisations. Key team members include co-managing partner Mihai Guia who regularly represents investors and companies in Romania’s burgeoning start-up sector. Fellow managing partner Cristian Lina is extremely active on the corporate and M&A side. Alexandra Sulea is the main contact for data privacy issues.
Mihai Guia; Alexandra Sulea
Other key lawyers:
ZF TRW Group
- Advising OTE Group with the sale of its stake in Telekom Romania Communications to Orange Romania.
- Advising Vodafone Romania in its restructuring process.
- Assisted eMAG on its reorganization of processes and activities across CEE.
Reff & Associates SCA has recently provided considerable support to several banks and financial institutions on digitization projects. This has included regulatory advice and assistance on e-commerce, compliance and data privacy. Clients particularly appreciate the broader offering that goes beyond legal and comes with being part of the Deloitte network. Corporate partner Georgiana Singurel leads the team, which also advises several high profile retailers, telecoms and energy companies on related issues. Senior associate Silvia Axinescu is singled out for ‘her calm, her proactive attitude and ability to interact and transmit the key legal messages‘.
‘ I was impressed by their excellent knowledge and expertise on IT & IP matters and their support. As Reff & Associates is part of Deloitte Group, we were also happy to receive a combined approach of solutions, not just legal expertise. The team proved to be very talented, dedicated and focused to provide us the best solution in our case. Our overall impression was a very good one. We were impressed by their knowledge, their professional approach, their continuous feedback and support.’
‘I worked with Silvia Axinescu (Senior Managing Associate) and I was very pleased by her calm, her proactive attitude and ability to interact and transmit the key legal messages. Highly regulated or digitalized industries, as is the case for banking industry specialized assistance. Her expertise on niche domains (such as IP & privacy matters) was very important for the overall project.’
‘Our overall impression was a very good one. We were impressed by their knowledge, their professional approach, their continuous feedback and support.’
‘The entire Reff & Associates team provided us the necessary support in order for us to complete our project, but we had a great collaboration especially with Maria-Silvia Axinescu. We can only appreciate their strengths (the prompt response, very well prepared answers to our questions, full legal assistance, a good distribution of their human resources for the project) because we could not find any weaknesses in our collaboration.’
Apa Nova Bucuresti – Veolia Group
B2Kapital part of B2 holding
- Advised ING on the establishment of a new application developed as part of a technology innovation initiative.
- Advised TechVentures Bank on the establishment of a new online client onboarding stream.
- Advised CEC Bank on the digital transformation of the bank and related systems, including assistance on the privacy and data protection aspects.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law has a ‘highly responsive team‘ that is praised for being ‘very knowledgeable and detail oriented‘. The firm has a good reputation for advising start-ups and emerging tech companies on issues ranging from M&A, IP and financings through to data privacy and employment. The practice also has clients in the life sciences, entertainment and advertising sectors. Through its advice to GapMinder Venture Partners, it also represents one of the more active venture capital funds in the Romanian market. The practice is led by the highly-rated Ana Maria Kusak , with well-regarded managing associate Elena Stan in support.
Ana Maria Kusak
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly responsive team.’
‘Silviu Stratulat is amazing. Very friendly and personal.’
‘In few words, highly qualified specialists. The whole team is very knowledgeable and detail oriented.’
‘Over the past several years I worked closely with Ana Kusak and Elena Stan. As already stated in my previous answers, I really appreciate both Ana and Elena for all their exceptional professional qualities.’
‘The best legal team in Romania.’
‘Everyone from the Stratulat Albulescu team with whom we interacted showed professionalism and managed to help us with the most suitable solutions every time.’
World Class Romania
Dinescu Constantin Bogdan “Macanache”
Rogalski Damaschin Public Relations
Agenţia de vise
Hervis Sports S.R.L.
- Advised SelfD ID in various intellectual property and data privacy matters.
- Advising the start-up Sport Upgrade in various IP matters, including legal support on the development of the Fity App (Sport Upgrade).
- Advising Titluri Quality on the evaluation and licensing of several trademark portfolios, as well as associated domain names and online publication platforms.
Voicu & Filipescu SCA has a broad ranging TMT practice that offers support across several related areas. The firm’s lawyers have good experience of regulatory matters, contract negotiations, M&A, IP, and employment law, and regularly advises sector and non-sector clients on data privacy issues. The team is especially popular with large consultancy and outsourcing companies, and has longstanding relationships with Accenture and Capgemini. Partners Marta Elena Popa and Raluca Mihai jointly lead the team.
Marta Popa; Raluca Mihai
- Advising Capgemini Services, which has a major IT outsourcing centre in Romania, on the full range of day-to-day corporate, regulatory and data privacy issues.