Dispute resolution in Romania
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii stands out for its impressive record in high value and complex civil and administrative litigation, as well as being also strong on the international arbitration front, having represented claimants in high profile ICSID claims against the Romanian state. Clients come from across the private and public sector, and benefit from the team's deep bench of specialist lawyers, former prosecutors and judges. Key figures include Robert Rosu and Ioana Hrisafi, who co-head the litigation and domestic arbitration practice group, and international arbitration head Levana Zigmund and Cornel Popa. Ionut Serban and Christina Vladescu are also building good names.
Robert Rosu; Florentin Tuca; Cornel Popa; Ioana Hrisafi; Levana Zigmund; Ionut Serban; Christina Vladescu; Ioana Gelepu; Anca Puscasu; Dan Cristea
‘The team I worked with, headed by Cornel Popa, were exceptional in attention to detail and coupled that with with excellent awareness and understanding of legal strengths and weaknesses of their client’s case. They ensured that the client’s case was well presented, both in writing and at the hearing.’
‘The team is very capable, friendly and diverse, it is a pleasure to work with them.’
‘Florentin Tuca is a star in the Romanian legal market — he is well connected and provides excellent guidance and reliable, on point legal analysis. Levana Zigmund is a true legal scholar and a superior advocate. She is excellent.’
‘Cornel Popa: very experienced, calm, flexible.’
Gabriel Resources LTD (Canada) and Gabriel Resources (Jersey) Ltd
First Bank (former Piraeus Bank)
Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR)/ Erste Bank and BCR – Banca pentru Locuinte (BCR Housing Bank)
Romanian Football Federation (FRF)
Astra Vagoane Calatori
Energy Financing Team Switzerland AG (“EFT”)
DAF Trucks NV
Retim Ecologic Service
- Representation Gabriel Resources LTD (Canada) and Gabriel Resources (Jersey) Ltd in a $4.4bn ICSID arbitration, seated in Washington, initiated by the clients against the Romanian State concerning their investments in the Rosia Montana mining project in Romania.
- Successful representation of Astra Vagoane Calatori in a public procurement litigation worth €176m related to the acquisition of 100 trams by the Bucharest Municipality.
- Represented the Romanian Football Federation in complex civil disputes, concerning damage claims of over €300m.
Dragne & Asociatii SCA
Dragne & Asociatii SCA has an excellent reputation for commercial arbitration, litigation and investment treaty disputes. The multi-faceted litigation practice covers a range of areas, including administrative, civil and criminal disputes. The firm's standing on the arbitration front was demonstrated by its successful role representing the claimant in a major dispute with the Romanian state. Managing partners Ion Dragne and Stelian Garofil respectively handle arbitration and litigation matters. Daniel Cirstea regularly acts on commercial, administrative and employment disputes, while Delia Bosman is experienced in tax and real estate claims. Ioana Oprea and Andreia Dumitrescu have experience in arbitration and litigation.
Ion Dragne; Stelian Garofil; Delia Bosman; Andreia Dumitrescu; Daniel Cirstea; Ioana Oprea
Alpha Bank SA
Sind Tour Trading SRL
Deutsche Bahn Cargo Romania SRL
Iridex Group Import Export S.R.L
Raimondo de Rubeis
Servicii Salubritate Bucuresti S.A
- Representing Synevo Romania in several multi-million Euro public procurement claims.
- Representing Adeplast in several contractual and unfair competition claims.
- Assisting Banca Transilvania in several high value debt recovery, insurance and insolvency disputes.
Musat & Asociatii has an excellent reputation across most forms of dispute resolution. Public and private sector clients regularly use the firm on their most high profile and high value disputes, be they in the local civil and administrative courts, or before an international arbitration tribunal. Practice head Gheorghe Buta is a leading figure in the international arbitration community, while Paul Buta is highly experienced in antitrust, IP and civil claims. Other key individuals include Angela Porumb, particularly for administrative disputes, Cosmin Libotean and Gheorghe Musat. Managing associate Ramona Cîrlig also attracts praise.
Gheorghe Buta; Paul Buta; Angela Porumb; Cosmin Libotean
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is very well organized in specialized teams, which ensures a full coverage of the legal issues our business is facing. Even in the same dispute sometimes various aspects arise which involve very specialized knowledge, and they always had the perfect man to deal with the specific legal niche. They have excellent capabilities in international trade law, helping out with some disputes arising from complex international trade contracts. We were also impressed by their negotiation skills, helping us to reach satisfactory settlement in some cases before going to court. This saved time and costs and was much appreciated.’
‘Musat & Asociatii’s team is one of the largest and one of the best in the country, and they have an extensive experience in complex litigations and dispute resolution proceedings. I appreciate their in-depth knowledge of highly regulated sectors, including the pharma industry, which enables them to recommend winning litigation strategies and successful settlements that help the business in the long run.’
‘Gheorghe Buta has an extraordinary strategic mind, and once combined with the amount of legal knowledge he acquired, he is a legal force. He is the partner you want on a highly complex case. He goes into the nitty-gritty of the civil procedure, but he also keeps the wide vision over the dispute.’
‘Cosmin Libotean is an experienced litigator with excellent pleading skills before the courts. He is calm and collected in all circumstances irrespective of how aggressive the opponent is.’
‘Ramona Cirlig impressed us with her excellent knowledge of international trade law, by finding solutions where none seems to exist. She moves easily through various legal systems, civil law and common law, always considers the EU law impact, and provides clear and effective legal advice on cross-boundary disputes.’
‘Paul George Buta is a very talented litigator with a sharp mind and an in-depth knowledge of competition law. His drafting style and oratorical skills are absolutely impressive. In court hearings he constantly maintains the judges’ attention, which is difficult, and takes them through the story of the case.’
‘Angela Porumb is a very experienced litigator, with great advocacy skills and a solid knowledge of the Romanian procedural law. She has the ability to surprise our opponents with innovative procedural tactics.’
The Government of Romania and the Ministry of Finance
KMG International NV
Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding B.V.
The Romanian National Railway Company (Compania Nationala De Cai Ferate Romania (CFR))
Toshiba Transmission & Distribution Europe SA
Delta ACM 93
Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR), Banca Transilvania, Alpha Bank, Leumi Bank, Piraeus Bank Romania (now First Bank)
Damen Shipyards Gorinchem B.V.
Romanian Centre for Radio Communication Services
Nuclearelectrica (the national nuclear energy producer)
- Representing KMG international NV and its affiliated companies in relation to €1.6bn in civil liabilities and commercial claims following an investigation performed by the Romanian authorities (the Public Prosecutor’s Office attached to the High Court of Cassation and Justice).
- Assisting and representing the Romanian National Railway Company in two complex ICC arbitrations.
- Successfully representing Toshiba in various court cases, regarding the enforcement proceedings for recovering a debt of €35m+.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen is typically one of the first destinations for high profile administrative and civil disputes. The firm regularly represents contractors in public procurement and projects related claims against public sector bodies and municipalities. The highly respected Ana Diculescu-Sova leads the practice, which also includes Sorina Olaru, who is especially strong in international arbitration. Other key individuals include tax disputes expert Emil Bivolaru, and versatile partners Radu Damaschin and Peggy Suica-Neagu. Clients also rate up-and-coming partners Marius Ezer and Valeriu Mina. Associates Cristiana Chelu-Prodescu and Daniela Savin are also well regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Sorina Olaru; Emil Bivolaru; Radu Damaschin; Peggy Suica-Neagu; Marius Ezer; Valeriu Mina; Cristiana Chelu-Prodescu; Daniela Savin
‘They are extremely clear when giving us legal advice. For us it is crucial as it let us take decisions considering all factors. Apart from that, NNDKP’s deep knowledge of Romanian law and the case law related to the local jurisdiction is also an asset we do appreciate.’
‘The team holds a very pragmatic view, based on an extensive expertise in a myriad of domains, encompassing also a very good understanding of technical complex matters. They are able to provide structured advice covering a variety of intertwined matters, making complicated aspects look simple and proposing the most appropriate approach form all perspectives.’
‘Excellent firm for local law advice and litigation.’
‘NNDKP lawyers have managed not only to provide our company with innovative legal solutions, but also to successfully implement our opinions and ideas in order to obtain good results in the issues we have been involved. The combination between internal sectorial approach with NNDKP´s legal knowledge is quite important. The process of implementing such synergies when it comes to take care of our legal issues in front of a judge is what makes NNDKP a different (and, therefore, innovative) law firm. Apart from that, in respect of billing, we do appreciate NNDKP transparency and detailed report of their job from the beginning of any issue.’
‘Radu Damaschin is a smart lawyer and a wise man, whose advice is always very appreciated. Other important member of this team is Cristiana Chelu-Prodescu, a prominent and bright lawyer who has been successful when giving legal advice in complex issues in Romanian jurisdiction.’
‘Emil Bivolaru has the ability to pin point exactly the implications and relevance of the legal matters in a business context. His pleadings are very convincing and well grounded, as his skills are both technically and strategically very strong. He is a great communicator, both during and outside the court sessions, which greatly enhances the success of a litigation.’
‘Marius Ezer has a firm grasp of the legal provisions and is therefore able to convincingly translate the business matters into a legal language.’
‘Sorina Olaru remains a key asset for NNDKP. Working with her and with Daniela (Ghervas) Savin gave us the comfort that we made the best choice when we selected this law firm.’
BRD – Groupe Societe Generale SA
Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR)
Devagold SA, part of Eldorado Group
Selgross Cash & Cary
ROCHE ROMANIA SRL
Voith Hydro Holding GmbH & Co. KG
Wizzair KFT Hungary
- Assistance and representation provided to a FCC-Astaldi-Activ Joint Venture in all administrative and judicial proceedings concerning the awarding of the contract for the rehabilitation of the Brasov–Simeria railway.
- Representing a construction joint venture against Bucharest Municipality regarding contract price adjustments to the public procurement contract for the rehabilitation of the Glina water treatment plant.
- Representing Siemens in a successful challenge against intermediary decisions issued by the Railway Reform Authority concerning the tender for the purchase of the first batch of 40 Electrical Multiple Units.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii is a leading firm, both for domestic litigation and international arbitration. The team has a strong track record in complex corporate disputes, including shareholder claims and issues with the Securities Commission. Cases involving public procurement contracts and concession agreements also feature prominently. Its expertise in specialised areas such as antitrust, real estate litigation, labour, tax and IP is also strong. The team is jointly led by highly rated litigators Ciprian Donțu, Ilinca Ștefănescu-Goangă and Florian Niţu, who is especially active on the international arbitration front. Partners Raluca Petrescu and Vlad Neacșu are also recommended.
Ciprian Dontu; Ilinca Stefanescu-Goanga; Florian Nitu
Other key lawyers:
Raluca Petrescu; Vlad Neacsu
‘A very professional team with huge juridical knowledge and capacity for effort. The team was very collaborative and explanatory in relation to the client, and introduced a very constructive approach in solving the dispute. Florian Nitu is a specialist and know all the aspects that are relevant and important to the cause. Also Alexandru Stan was very involved in the discussions and explained all the details necessary in the matter.’
‘A friendly team. Has the ability to understand the case and avoid getting in conflicts without trying all resources. The approach to the case was by logical and commercial thinking first.’
Fondul Proprietatea/ Franklin Templeton
Rabo Farm (Rabobank Group)
- Representing Fondul Proprietatea – as a minority shareholder in the national postal services company, Poşta Română SA – in a litigation related to the annulment of the Romanian state’s decision to increase the company’s share capital by €40m on the grounds that the measure is state aid.
- Representing all of Enel Group’s three Romanian energy distribution subsidiaries – Enel Distributie Muntenia, Enel Distributie Banat, Enel Distributie Dobrogea – in six litigations against the National Regulatory Authority for Energy concerning fixed return rates and the methodology for calculating distribution tariffs.
- Successfully represented Swietelsky, one of the largest railway construction companies, in a dispute over the implementation of the public procurement contract “Performance of construction and installation works: Segment I: Curtici-Arad Border – 614km”.
STOICA & Asociatii – Attorneys at Law stands out as one of the premier firms for disputes work, with litigation and international arbitration forming an integral part of its overall offering. Clients range from major multinationals to political parties and public sector bodies. Recently the team has seen considerable activity in the telecoms sectors and also been involved in significant environmental claims. Founding partners Valeriu Stoica and Cristiana Stoica remain key figures in the market, while Dragos Bogdan is especially experienced in IP and administrative litigation disputes. The versatile Cătălina Dicu is also recommended.
Valeriu Stoica; Cristiana Stoica
Other key lawyers:
Dragos Bogdan; Cătălina Dicu
‘Stoica & Asociatii is stellar on litigation matters being the dispute resolution law firm in Romania. They are always innovative, finding new ways in resolving a matter even on cases when other lawyers will see this impossible. They also have an impressing experience in dealing with all kind of litigation matters and this makes them almost invincible. Stoica’s team knows the game and deliver exactly what is expected form them with efficiency.’
Romanian political party
Orange Romania SA
BRD – Societe Generale
Telekom Romania Communications SA
BCR – Banca Comerciala Romana SA
RCS & RDS SA
- Assisting the Romanian telecoms regulatory authority in a litigation regarding claims filed as a result of the issue of an alleged illegal decision.
- Drafting a legal opinion for a Romanian political party in the appeal phase to support the arguments of illegality invoked by one of the parliamentary political parties against the municipality of Bucharest.
- Representing and assisting RCS & RDS in a case initiated by the Consumer Protection Authority regarding alleged abusive clauses.
Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners is the favoured choice for many of the largest clients seeking representation both in the courts and in arbitration. The firm covers all of the key sectors and has recently been involved in several major energy and infrastructure disputes. The firm is currently involved in a significant number of international arbitrations, including some against the Romanian state. The deep bench includes several top names, including Calin-Andrei Zamfirescu , Cosmin Vasile, Stan Tirnoveanu, Alina Tugearu, and Monica Strimbei. Clients also rate senior associates Cosmin Cojocaru and Violeta Saranciuc.
Calin-Andrei Zamfirescu; Stan Tirnoveanu; Cosmin Vasile; Alina Tugearu; Monica Strimbei; Andrei Dumitrescu
‘The firm’s dispute resolution team confirms its reputation as among the finest in the market. The team is highly efficient in delivering the end-result in effort-intensive projects and has strong international arbitration expertise. The lawyers are dedicated and focused on the client’s objectives.’
‘A team which is perfectly dimensioned – it has the perfect number of partners, seniors and juniors for the job and the right mix of experience. A good value for money and a good relation with the client. Much more available than other firms, much more billing friendly than others.’
‘Cosmin Vasile is my top-choice for international arbitration in Romania. His vast experience in the field is an extremely valuable resource for building an arbitration case with confidence. Most importantly, he is easy to work with and ready to define a strategy for the case in line with the client’s wider commercial objectives.’
‘Monica Strimbei is a young partner, very ambitious, very thorough with very good results.’
‘Violeta Saranciuc – always trying to find solutions in customer’s interest giving prompt reports and in-depth analysis of the case.’
Aktor SA Greece
National Agency for Mineral Resources
- Advised OMV Petrom in recovering its investments of approximately €100m following the construction of the Brazi Combined Cycle Power Plant, the first greenfield, privately owned power project ever constructed in Romania.
- Advised Aktor Greece in a controversial public procurement dispute, with a value of over €650m, concerning a tender initiated in 2016 by the Romanian state railway carrier, CFR S.A., for what is considered to be Romania’s highest value contract tender.
- Advised Banca Transilvania in a high-profile €300m consumer protection dispute regarding the assignment of a loan portfolio from another European company.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA has a versatile disputes team which is noted for its expertise across a wide range of areas. Recently the firm was involved in several major public procurement claims and shareholder disputes, and it has good experience in regulated areas such as employment, tax, life sciences, data privacy and agriculture. Practice head Viorel Dinu has over 20 years experience representing clients in civil and administrative disputes. Managing partner Lucian Bondoc and Mihaela Bondoc also have good experience in this area. Clients also rate managing counsel Ioana Katona.
Other key lawyers:
Lucian Bondoc; Mihaela Bondoc; Ioana Katona
‘Deep legal analysis, dedicated, focus on obtaining good results, good understanding of the business impact of the matters analyzed and appropriate adaptation of the legal opinion to respond to business needs and minimize any negative impact.’
‘They have a solid, senior multidisciplinary team. They have a lot of experience in fighting public authorities. They have very good professionals who work well together, as well as with other departments that need to be involved and promote pragmatic approaches. Are not afraid of late hours and interventions in weekends if needed. Attentive to detail. The core senior team of relevance for this area with whom we have interacted includes partners Viorel Dinu and Lucian Bondoc and Managing Counsel Ioana Katona.’
‘Bondoc si Asociatii SCA’s dispute resolution team has experience, understands the client well and has a simple and efficient way of working with the client. In terms of billing and collaboration they are one of the best in the sense that the client receives a high quality expertise at a reasonable cost and this is very important for internal Legal departments during budget constraints times. Lucian Bondoc is a pluri-disciplinary lawyer who coordinates the activity of the law firm in an efficient manner.’
Dante International (eMag – Romania’s largest online retailer)
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Profi Rom Food (Mid Europa Partners)
Registry of Urbanists of Romania
- Successfully represented Rosenbauer AG, the largest European producer of vehicles and devices for the fire protection industry, in consortium with a Romanian entity, Deltalift SRL, in challenging a €72m public procurement contract for hydraulic platforms with the Romanian State Inspectorate for Emergency Situations.
- Representing Ioan Tecar, a Romanian businessman, in a multi-jurisdictional dispute with Fertero Limited, owned by the Abris fund, concerning share purchases in two businesses involved in the paper products industry, developed by Tecar.
- Representing Profi Rom Food, the operator of a supermarket chain in Romania, in several sensitive commercial disputes regarding the activity of its supermarkets.
Clifford Chance Badea clients benefit from the firm's impressive global network, which gives it a serious edge on cross border disputes. International arbitrations and investment treaty disputes are clear areas of strength, particularly in the infrastructure and energy space, with Bucharest practice head Simona Neagu working closely with colleagues elsewhere. At home, the team has good civil and administrative litigation experience, recently advising several high profile antitrust, public procurement and white-collar crime related claims. Managing partner Daniel Badea and senior associate Sabina Crangasu are other noteworthy names.
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Badea; Sabina Crangasu
‘A very well-established firm.’
- Representing a global power generation and water technologies company in an ICC arbitration related to a power infrastructure project in Romania.
- Advising and representing companies in the telecom an energy sector challenging antitrust fines applied by the Romanian Competition Council following investigations for abuse of dominant position.
- Advising a European bank in a cross-border investigation relating to allegations of money laundering and AML compliance deficiencies, one the most complex investigations in recent years.
CMS has had a strong presence in the market for some time. The departure of recent managing partner and disputes expert, Gabriel Sidere, has been offset somewhat by arrivals elsewhere, such as senior counsel and white collar crime expert, Mihai Jiganie-Serban from Serban & Asociatii, who provides expertise in areas such as fraud and compliance. The versatile commercial disputes team that is led by Horia Draghici. Clients also rate the firm's strong team of counsel and associates, including Cristina Popescu, Andrei Cristescu and Tatiana Casapciuc.
Other key lawyers:
Mihai Jiganie-Serban; Cristina Popescu; Andrei Cristescu; Tatiana Casapsiuc
‘They are very proactive in their approach and it is a pleasure to work with the CMS team.’
‘Outstanding lawyers with a lot of litigation experience and a profound knowledge of the Romanian legal system. Very good responsiveness, capable of delivering on (very) short notice.’
‘Horia Draghici and Andrei Cristescu are both very skilled lawyers and are both very experienced in representing clients in front of Romanian courts. Solutions are well-founded and practical.’
‘Cristina Popescu is an extremely meticulous attorney. Her memorandums are always detailed, yet concise. Tatiana Casapciuc is a young and talented associate. She is a rising star in Romania.’
DLA Piper Dinu SCA has established itself as a trusted and popular destination for international clients seeking contentious support in Romania. The firm's international network lends itself to high-stakes cross border disputes, while Bucharest-based partners such as practice head Radu Balas, ensure an equally high level of expertise and service for domestic civil and administrative litigations. This is especially the case for clients in the life sciences, energy, infrastructure, transport and manufacturing industries. In Daniela Bistrae and Alexandru Arjoca, the firm also fields two highly experienced counsel.
Other key lawyers:
Daniela Bistrae; Alexandru Arjoca
‘My experience with DLA Piper is excellent. Because our company has very complex legal issues and ongoing litigations overseas, it is crucial that we hire an international law firm with global connections. DLA Piper is a very experienced, diversified team that puts a focus on customer needs. Everyone at DLA Piper is very dedicated and provided a very client-oriented service, allowing us to receive quick responses and straightforward outcomes. They also provide regular updates on the state of matters. Carina Vermesan and Radu Balas provide us a quick response and provide our case all the time and attention in order to meet our needs that is needed to be successful.’
‘Very professional, very prompt answers, very smart solutions and strong theoretical knowledge. The regular newsletter is well structured, concise, timely and online. Easy to access. The invoicing process is smooth and accurate.’
‘The local DLA Piper team is stellar on legal matters specific to pharmaceutical industry, starting from competition & regulatory law up to tax law.’
‘We have a long standing collaboration with DLA and they are always reinventing themselves in order to be able to deliver outstanding services. This has been again demonstrated during these exceptional times generated by the worldwide pandemic situation, where they were able to continue delivering their services in all our pending legal cases.’
Citadela Project S.A.
Hillside (Bet365 Group)
AstraZeneca UK Limited and AstraZeneca AB
WHG (International) Limited
- Advising Hyosung in a renewable energy dispute.
- Representing KT Engcore engineering company in the recovery of approximately €45m related to the construction and operation of photovoltaic plants in Romania.
- Representing Media Bit Software in a criminal case concerning the cloning of its website and DDoS attacks against its servers.
Filip & Company offers a comprehensive disputes service, encompassing most forms of civil and administrative litigation. The firm is also highly experienced in commercial arbitration and investment treaty disputes, as demonstrated by its role defending the Romanian state against an ICSID claim brought by an Austrian investor. Practice head Catalin Alexandru's strong experience in this area has led to numerous roles working alongside global law firms on international disputes. Ongoing advice to leading local companies, such as RCS & RDS, ensures a regular flow of TMT-related claims. Clients also single out senior associates Adrian Cristea and Liliana Dranca.
Other key lawyers:
Liliana Dranca; Adrian Cristea
‘Always available and provided constructive solutions. The team is full of energy and with good spirit. Adrian Cristea is a great lawyer to work with. He is calm and has very good listening and public speaking skills.’
‘The dispute resolution team is very diligent, detail-oriented, client-focused and professional. In every instance, their advice is on point,helpful and timely and provides significant value to projects. They have a very good understanding of the needs and interests of their clients and are able to put in place the best court strategies to sustain such needs. The team has an amazing ability to also adapt to any changes that are inherent to the dispute resolution area without compromising the principle of best defending and affirming their clients’ rights and interests, which stands at the core of their work. ‘
‘Liliana Dranca and Catalin Alexandru had a great approach and orientation to client needs. They responded in due time and in a comprehensive and professional way, offering solutions, and had a proactive approach towards business needs.’
‘What I most admire about Filip & Company, besides the high quality of legal services delivered, is the openness and availability to discuss with their clients. We are not a big client from budget perspective but we get the same time and attention like the big ones.’
Romania / Ministry of Finance
RCS & RDS
Next Energy Partners SRL
Electrica Serv SA
Comtel Focus S.A.
First Bank SA (former Piraeus Bank Romania SA)
Citibank Plc Dublin
Mr Ilie Năstase and Mr Ioan Țiriac, acting as tennis professionals; Super Slam Ltd
The Romanian Financial Supervisory Authority
ZENTIVA INTERNATIONAL AS HLOHOVEC SUCURSALA BUCUREȘTI (part of Zentiva Group)
Auchan Romania S.A.
Bricostore Romania (Kingfisher Group)
Inform Lykos S.A.
PKP Cargo S.A.
British American Tobacco Trading Romania
Wild Boar Club S.R.L. (part of the Țiriac Group)
- Representing Romania in a recent ICSID arbitration. The claimant in this case is an Austrian investor who claims its planned investments were allegedly frustrated by actions of the Romanian State.
- Assisted RCS & RDS in settling a lawsuit initiated by eight of the largest film studios aimed at blocking the access of internet users to several websites allegedly containing unauthorized content.
- Defended RCS & RDS against a £4.2m claim made by a creative design company for the alleged unauthorised use of a particular font in the client’s activity. This resulted in a successful settlement agreement.
Kinstellar is well regarded for cross-border and domestic disputes, and clients benefit from the firm's strong regional presence. The Bucharest team will miss former co-head Bogdan Bibicu who retired in 2020, but Remus Codreanu remains a well respected figure in the market with good expertise across a range of industries and disciplines. The team regularly appears in high-profile civil and administrative litigation claims. Senior associate Vlad Simion is also experienced.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very experienced and structured team, with client friendly approach and advice. They use cutting edge technology (software) and offer alternative and flexible billing arrangements.’
‘Strong team, knowledge of the local situation and specifics. Remus Codreanu is an excellent lawyer, very good in client relationships, and a reliable partner.’
CMC Electronics Aurora LLC
Dow Europe GmbH
FBR Forest One SA
APM Terminals Romania SRL
WTA Tour Inc.
IKEA Romania SA
Colakoglu Metalurji AS
- Advising Inteva Products, a major global automotive supplier, in separate supplier and employment related disputes.
- Successfully represented WTA Tour Inc. in a high-value, complex and sensitive court case involving cross border issues, and tort, regulatory and sports’ law matters.
- Advised IKEA Romania SA on two complex white-collar crime cases involving both criminal and civil law angles related to certain property ownership matters.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has recently been very active on the administrative litigation front, scoring some notable successes in high-profile antitrust matters and disputes with the energy and telecoms regulators. Sector-specific expertise also extends to key industries such as technology, financial services and commercial real estate. Valentin Berea and of counsel Lucian Mihai jointly lead the versatile team, and both lawyers are also noted for their strong track record in major international arbitrations and cross-border litigation.
Valentin Berea; Professor Lucian Mihai
Sumiriko AVS Romania – member of Anvis Group
Rio Bucovina S.A. (part of the Maspex Group)
Paramount Pictures Corporation
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
Universal City Studios Productions
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment
Bayer Animal Health GmbH
Bookster (Development Consulting)
- Representing Electrica in an antitrust litigation, the first “facilitator” case in Romania to date, in which the client was fined €2.3m for allegedly facilitating a cartel between its meter suppliers.
- Successfully represented Rio Bucovina (part of the Maspex Group) in a high profile unfair advertising dispute against a close competitor in relation to the latter’s aggressive marketing campaign.
- Representing Bayer in a patent infringement litigation to protect its European patent for a pharmaceutical formula.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA is an extremely reliable choice for a wide variety of disputes, including public procurement claims, antitrust, insurance, tax, consumer and contractual disputes. The team also has good experience of international arbitration and investment treaty claims. Managing partner Sebastian Gutiu has established a strong reputation for high-stakes disputes. Managing attorney Iustin Armașu is now the main contact for regulatory disputes, following Adina Jivan's departure to Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners.
Sebastian Guțiu; Iustin Armașu
‘Very good capabilities in dispute resolution, well-prepared lawyers and very good representation.’
‘Very solid team, with many senior lawyers who are perfectly capable to coordinate complex cases. Sebastian Gutiu is a fantastic leader. He is very practical and focused in his approach, willing to explore out of the box solutions in order to achieve results.’
Asirom (Vienna Insurance Group)
Banca Comerciala Romana
- Successfully assisted a major bank in winning a series of litigation cases for the annulment of sanctions imposed by the Romanian consumer protection agency.
- Assisting a multinational automotive company in €100m worth of public procurement disputes concerning public tenders organised for the acquisition of transport.
- Assisting several clients active in manufacturing, energy, waste management in a series of tax disputes handled by the firm’s litigators together with the specialised tax advisory team.
Suciu Popa has established itself as a significant player in domestic and cross-border dispute resolution. The team, which includes highly respected managing partner Luminița Popa, Roxana Fercală, and Daciana Popa, is especially strong in disputes concerning the energy and infrastructure sectors, including privatisation and public procurement related claims. The group has also been involved in high-profile international arbitrations. Insolvency, antitrust and public law related claims also feature prominently.
Luminița Popa, Daciana Popa; Roxana Fercală
‘Professional, efficient and solutions oriented. Their communication ability and openness differentiate them from other lawyers I have worked with. A good focus on using new technology and solutions to get the work done. Excellent collaboration with the experts.’
‘Miruna Suciu and Dan Ciobanu – great client service, great communication skills and ability to find the right solution.’
Enel Investment Holding BV
Rompetrol Rafinare SA
Hunt Oil Company of Romania
Bolt (former Taxify)
GFR – Grup Feroviar Roman SA and Grampet
Enel Energie Muntenia
Enel Green Power
- Representing Enel Investment Holding BV, as lead counsel, in a complex ICC arbitration with claims exceeding €130m arisen from a privatization agreement.
- Successfully representing Hidroelectrica SA, the state-owned power company, in several complex disputes for the recovery of over €2m in receivables.
- Defending Bolt, one of the leading international ride-sharing services providers, in a dispute with the regular taxi drivers’ associations based on antitrust and unfair competition claims.
Wolf Theiss boasts several seasoned litigators, including popular practice head Ligia Popescu, who offer a strong combination of domestic and cross-border expertise. Popescu is backed by an experienced team that includes the up-and-coming Andreea Zvâc. International clients also appreciate the input of Bryan Jardine, particularly when explaining the intricacies of the local market. The firm is regularly involved in significant fiscal and post-privatisation claims, and is also experienced in international arbitration, white collar crime, employment and IP matters.
Ligia Cecilia Popescu
Other key lawyers:
Bryan Jardine; Andreea Zvâc
‘We are extremely satisfied with Wolf Theiss’ dispute resolution practice. They are dedicated to client relationships, the lawyers will always make you feel valued and in safe hands, the communication with them being persistently clear and to the point, without any unnecessarily long statements or missing information. The advice we received was tailor-made which always took our individual and specific needs into account. Another key competence of the dispute resolution team is their sector-specific knowledge.’
‘Partner Ligia Cecilia Popescu and Counsel Andreea Zvac have a vast experience and are dedicated to provide valuable results to the client. They are extremely professional and experience in matters like commercial disputes and arbitration. Andreea Zvac is our main point of contact and she is extremely quick in grasping the essential points of any given matter and never loses sight of details.’
‘A very solid team of talented and well-trained lawyers with the local knowledge essential for sensibly managing litigation in Romania but also very user-friendly for US clients, especially as the office is headed by a US lawyer who has lived and Romania for decades.’
‘Ligia Popescu is superb – knowledgeable on arbitration, excellent on strategy.’
‘Bryan Jardine – Dual-qualified US and Romanian lawyer (from Los Angeles) who leads the office and is a valuable resource in translating local issues for easy understanding by a US client.’
Al-Arrab Contracting Company Ltd.
Aberdeen Immobilien Kapitalanlagegesellschaft MBH
BIOWORKS Verfahrenstechnik GmbH
Burlington Capital International
Degi Millennium Tower SRL
Energreen Investment Europe S.A.
Fundatia Conservation Carpathia (FCC)
GE Jenbacher GmbH & Co OG
International Automotive Components (IAC)
Elinoil Hellenic Petroleum Company S.A
- Representing the Saudi-Arabian company Al-Arrab Contracting Co., an affiliate of the Investment Fund Al Rajhi the majority shareholder of Electroputere Craiova, in a €180m appeal claim.
- Successfully representing Aberdeen Immobilien Kapitalanlagegesellschaft MBH, and its local subsidiary Degi Millenium, in several complex and long-term court cases.
- Advising Energreen and its Romanian subsidiaries, in relation to the enforcement procedures and other related aspects arising from a €32m claim held by a third party against the client.
Berechet Rusu Hirit is a relatively new disputes boutique that is making an increasingly strong impression on the market. Recently the firm achieved several notable successes on behalf of clients, with cases reaching Romania's highest courts. Civil and administrative claims feature high on the agenda, including cases involving medical malpractice, tax, and allegations of fraud. Lead partners Madalina Berechet and Valentin Hirit come highly recommended by clients.
Mădălina Berechet; Valentin Hiriț
‘The boutique law firm has vast experience in dispute resolution with numerous successes. They always try to adapt to the client’s needs in order to obtain the results. Negotiations in disputes are very balanced towards the client and the one in dispute, trying to build bridges and avoid any further litigations. The services offered are transparent with no surprises in further billing compared to what was agreed. Since they are a boutique law firm they are flexible in adapting. BRH Law are innovative in creating solutions for their clients.’
‘Madalina Berechet is an astonishing lawyer who has vast experience in litigation of different civil practices, ranging from employment to real estate. She is very detailed in her work and thus always gives excellent results.’
‘Valentin Hirit is a reliable advocate, a very thorough professional, with extensive experience in the litigation area, doubled by a sound knowledge in the corporate area (also based on this background of lawyer, most useful is an array of litigation cases).’
CURTEA VECHE PUBLISHING and nine other book publishers, together with the Association of Romanian Publishers
AYAN NGO – a non-governmental organisation
Camelia Voiculescu, Corina Voiculescu (presidents of Antena Group – a leading media group in Romania), GRIVCO and CCAI
- Successfully represented Monsson Group in a €100m dispute before the High Court of Justice against the Romanian State and the Ministry of Finance rendering null and void a fiscal decision concerning the taxation of individual turbines within Romanian wind farms.
- Represented Monsson Group & others in administrative and tax litigation against The National Energy for Energy Regulation (ANRE).
- Defended Karoly Borbely (a former State Secretary in the Ministry of Economy and board member of Hidroelectrica) against two liability claims brought by Fondul Proprietatea, on behalf of Hidroelectrica, against current and former members of the company’s Supervisory and Managers’ Boards, based on several alleged irregularities.
Buzescu Ca has good experience representing clients in civil and administrative litigations in heavily-regulated industries such as aviation, energy and life sciences. The firm has been involved in several significant state aid claims and is also strong in IP and IT related disputes. Adrian Tomescu leads the well regarded team, which benefits from the experience of Peter Buzescu. Clients also rate senior associate Alex Cretu.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Buzescu; Alex Cretu
‘The team is always available and responsive. They have business mindset and their advice is focusing on the solutions. Peter Buzescu and Alex Cretu are excellent lawyers, easy to work with them. They provide us the service we need and deliver it on time.’
Viking Oilfield Services
- Advised the leading CEE low-cost airline, Wizz Air, on a claim for damages resulting from alleged state aid and from alleged abuse of dominant position.
- Advised Alvogen IPCO, an international generic drugs company and its Romanian subsidiary on multiple patent disputes with multinational drug companies.
- Advised Synthon B.V., a Dutch producer of generic and hybrid drugs, with regard to multiple allegations of patent infringements made by Teva in relation to a drug for multiple sclerosis, the treatment of which is fully reimbursed by the state.
D&B David si Baias SCA fields a strong team of litigation experts with experience across a range of disciplines. Tax disputes feature high on the agenda, but the firm also handles claims linked to heavily-regulated industries such as telecoms, as well as broader commercial, real estate, employment, banking and insolvency related disputes. The versatile Dan Dascălu leads the team, which includes tax and administrative litigation expert Ana-Maria Iordache and Mihail Boian. Managing partner Sorin David is also highly experienced in this area.
Other key lawyers:
Sorin David; Ana-Maria Iordache; Mihail Boian
‘We have been collaborating with D&B for many years within a sensitive and complex case; have a relationship based on trust, given the quality of legal opinions, the promptness of their submission, and considering our needs as clients. ’
‘The capability of the team to handle difficult and complex litigations puts them to the top of practitioners in the dispute resolution area. They hold impressive skills in managing tax, competition, and administrative proceedings. ’
‘I totally recommend Sorin David and Ovidiu Bold as very professional, rigorous, innovative lawyers.’
‘Sorin David is a really prestigious professional who can be trusted with the most sensitive competition cases, as he holds great experience and extensive knowledge in competition matters. Dan Dascalu is widely known for managing tax and administrative disputes on the highest possible standard, combining a very strong know how with the eloquence of a brilliant barrister.’
Touring Europabus Romania SRL
OMV Petrom SA
Orange Romania SA
Transcarpat Sportours International SRL
Paralela 45 Turism SRL
Kronochem Sebes SRL
Unilever South Central Europe
Cargill Agricultura SRL, Cargill Nutritie Animala SRL & Provimi Romania SRL
B.Braun Avitum SRL
Petrotel Lukoil SA
MEDICARE TECHNICS SA
ARGO PROFESSIONAL TRAINING SRL-D
Tody Laboratories INT. SRL
- Successfully assisted Touring Europabus Romania SRL in obtaining a final decision regarding the suspension of the enforcement of a penalty imposed by the Competition Council.
- Successfully represented OMV Petrom in appealing fines issued by the Romanian Energy Regulatory Authority.
- Assisted Orange Romania in its appeal of a fine issued by the National Supervisory Authority for Personal Data Processing.
Dentons has an extensive disputes practice with good experience handling litigation and international arbitration. Clients benefit from the firm's strong international network on major cross-border disputes. The team is also regularly instructed on significant claims in the banking, retail and real estate sectors, and has good experience of antitrust and insolvency related disputes. Practice head Tiberiu Csaki has over thirty years years experience in the market. Real estate head Bogdan Papandopol is also an experienced litigator.
Other key lawyers:
Unirea Shopping Center
- Represented Autoliv Romania on multiple fiscal disputes and fiscal-administrative procedures, including litigations before the Romanian courts.
- Advising and representing Avatar Security as a defendant in connection with alleged unfair competition claims filed by the largest player on the electronic surveillance market.
- Representing Prosegur – a major worldwide security services provider – in connection with the dissolution of two of its Romanian subsidiaries.
Leroy si Asociatii represents a wide range of domestic and international clients in civil and administrative disputes. The team, led by Bruno Leroy, has had success taking on the regulators and is also experienced in shareholder, public procurement, infrastructure, real estate, energy and banking related claims. Senior associate Edgar Jakab also has an active practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very good team, quite stable, with very good knowledge and experience. Bruno Leroy is one of the most experienced business lawyer in the Romanian market with excellent knowledge about business in Romania.’
Albalact SA (Lactalis Group)
ENGIE Romania SA (member of ENGIE Group)
Engie Romania SA
Expert Petroleum SRL (Romania)
SUEZ International SAS
GSE Romania SRL
CRH Ciment (Romania) S.A.
ENGIE Romania SA.
ETi European Food Industries S.A.
Vitalia Servicii Pentru Mediu SA
AIC Land Development SA
Safege S.A. Nanterre France
CEVA Logistics SRL
Kosam Kozmetic Pazarlama Ve Ticaret Anonim Sirketi
Debitare Indoire Sudura SRL
- Representing waste management company, Vitalia, in a high-value dispute over its provision of sanitation services in the Bistrita-Nisaud county.
- Successfully assisted ENGIE Romania S.A. in a bid to overturn a fine applied by the Romanian Energy Regulatory Authority.
- Representing Albalact, one of Romania’s largest dairy producers, in a dispute with a former minority shareholder following the company’s takeover by Lactalis.
MPR Partners has a multi-disciplinary disputes practice that is especially experienced in international arbitration and investment treaty disputes. The lawyers also regularly represent clients on domestic civil and administrative disputes. Gelu Maravela, Alina Popescu and Alexandra Rîmbu are the main contacts.
Noerr regularly represents domestic and international clients in administrative and civil litigation as well as arbitration. The team also has a good track record for white-collar crime and compliance investigations, as well as restructuring and insolvency related disputes. Clients include companies in the manufacturing, life sciences, technology, financial services, and retail industries. Versatile practice head Alexandru Ene is a key contact.
Harman International Industries
Grawe Romania Insurance
Kellogg European Services
- Representation of an international insurance company in several multimillion Euro insurance disputes before the Romanian courts.
- Representing an IT company on major tax issues amounting to several million euro.
- Representing a taxi app services company in a litigation contesting certain legal provisions.
Popescu & Asociatii is a new firm with a strong pedigree in dispute resolution, thanks in part to the experience of founding partner Octavian Popescu. The team's expertise covers a range of disciplines, from civil and administrative claims to white collar crime issues. Clients include major multinationals, banks, energy companies and public bodies. Dana Bivol has good experience in administrative and financial services disputes, while Adrian Chirvase is strong on business crime matters, and Loredana Popescu is active in insolvency, real estate and infrastructure related disputes.
Octavian Popescu; Dana Bivol; Adrian Chirvase; Loredana Popescu
Leumi Bank Romania
ING Bank Romania
Mega Image/Ahold Delhaize Group
Bucharest Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Debt Collection Agency
Ultimo Portfolio Investment
UTI Netcity Investments
IT Performance & Technology
- Representing Banca Transilvania on several regulatory disputes concerning anti money laundering procedures and other legal obligations.
- Assisting the Israeli bank, Leumi Bank Romania, in a $325m damages claim over the settlement of receivables linked to Dacia Felix Bank (the former Leumi Bank Romania).
- Representing the Romanian cultural institution, Academia Romania, in a dispute regarding the Carol Davila – University Medical City PPP project.
VASS Lawyers is undoubtedly a top choice for public procurement-related disputes. The firm's expertise goes also encompasses broader contractual, employment and debt recovery claims across a wide variety of sectors, including hospitality, tourism, healthcare, mining, infrastructure and IT. The team also has a good track record in European Union funding-related disputes. Managing partner Iulia Vass, Alexandra Mititelu and Bianca Bello are highly rated.
Iulia Vass; Alexandra Mititelu
Other key lawyers:
‘The great professionalism of VASS Lawyers is worth being given as an example to many others. We have never been disappointed by the legal services provided by the team. They always present us the reality as it is, without giving us false hopes on our success chances in the courts of law. VASS Lawyers functions as an honorable institution in a random Romanian justice system in which the lack of predictability and consistency reigns upon us. Because they have always been by our side and have never disappointed us, we are truly grateful to VASS Lawyers.’
‘Iulia Vass and her team are outstanding lawyers, trustworthy, dedicated and extremely passionate about their work. Their talent, attention to details and knowledge of laws are unsurpassed. They are all a delight to work with and I was very fortunate to have them on my side.’
‘Iulia Vass, Alexandra Mititelu and Bianca Bello are great litigation lawyers and I trust them 100%. Their business insight and strategic advice helped us avoid costly disputes with Google and other business partners.’
- Represented a Romanian tourism company in a cross-border dispute regarding the reimbursement of the costs incurred by Romania’s participation in an international event that was cancelled due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represented several Romanian companies in complex public procurement disputes regarding municipal services for sanitation, waste, snow removal and urban landscaping, with a total estimated value of over €320m.
- Represented a Polish mining equipment company in complex disputes against several state owned national companies on the interpretation and performance of contracts, as well as in €2m worth of debt recovery procedures.
Vernon | David has a strong track record advising international companies, including many in the banking and financial services sector, on cutting edge contentious issues. The team, led by the highly regarded Daniela David, has a strong success rate across multiple areas, including employment, insurance, environmental, tax, and commercial disputes. Associates Irina Parvulescu and Laura Irizea are also very well regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Irina Parvulescu; Laura Irizea
‘The firm has an outstanding, experienced litigation team with a remarkable ability to handle complex litigation matters due to their rigorous approach and resourcefulness. The lawyers are talented litigators with exquisite knowledge and an excellent understanding of their client’
‘Daniela David is a brilliant litigator demonstrating, at the same time, an outstanding substantial experience. She is a problem solver and an excellent strategist with a deep understanding of the business matters. Laura Irizea is a very talented and convincing lawyer with wonderful drafting skills displaying in writing the same persuasive approach as she has rhetorically. ’
‘The entire team is focused on the clients business. They truly understand our business and our problems and gave us the perfect legal options. Due to today’
‘Vernon David is a professional practice; they treat everyone with focus and dedication. They can present and foresee specific situations and are transparent every step on the way. Strong management and core values they stand their ground when things are challenging. ’
‘Laura Irizea and Irina Parvulescu are simply the best. When you trust your lawyers and you know they will give their best regardless of how difficult and time consuming the task is, it is the best feeling a client can have. We are in this together and we are stronger and sharper that way.
‘They did an outstanding and wonderful job. I cannot speak highly enough about their work, knowledge and, of course, their success. ’
‘The Vernon David team has been incredibly successful this year with regards to litigation. Their level of professionalism is very high and their work on complex matters (environmental, property claims, taxes, labour and green certificates) is superb. They make it look easy, but it’s not.’
‘We work mainly with Daniela David. She is an outstanding litigator and leads an excellent team. Irina Parvulescu works on corporate/environmental matters and is excellent. Laura Irizea is their labour litigation expert and is also excellent. Both Irina and Laura deserve recognition and praise. Simple put: they win. ’
TMK (TMK-Artrom and TMK-Resita)
SBR (subsidiary of Solentache Bachy)
National Bank of Greece
Elite Insurance Company
Intesa San Paolo
Lakeside Food Group
- Successfully advised Ecosmart Union in a €4m plus environmental tax dispute, which the client won the first round of proceedings against the state.
- Successful advice to Elite on several disputes and claims related to fraudulent insurance policies and attempts to claim against them, including one case involving Romania’s largest electricity distributor.
- Successfully represented TMK in the Supreme Court in a groundbreaking and complex dispute with the Romanian Energy Regulatory Authority (ANRE) and the Romanian Government over green certificates.
Beatrice Onica- Jarka & Asociații
Beatrice Onica- Jarka & Asociații has a versatile practice with expertise on a wide range of commercial disputes, as well as more specialised areas such as public procurement, employment and IP. Beatrice Onica Jarka is also noted for her expertise in international arbitration, and her team is especially active in major construction and infrastructure claims.
Beatrice Onica Jarka
Impresa Pizzarotti & C.S.p.A
Getica OOH S.R.L.
Metaltrade International SRL
PBN Logistic SA
Park Land SA
Marinescu Constantin Cosmin
LC WAIKIKI RETAIL RO
Romania; RADEF Romania Film
Wabag Water Services SRL
Z Design GMBH
- Successfully represented Impressa Pizzaroti SPA in a litigation concerning the termination of a public procurement contract by the contracting authorities.
- Successfully represented Getica in various cases with different city halls and contracting authorities.
- Defended the harbour operator Docuri against claims brought by the National Administration of Forests.
Biris Goran SPARL is especially well regarded for its strong administrative litigation expertise, particularly in contentious antitrust and tax matters. The litigation team is led by Mihai Nușcă and also includes highly experienced founding partner Gabriel Biriş.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica's experienced disputes team is recommended for its expertise in civil and administrative disputes. The firm regularly represents public and private sector clients on their key cases, and is especially strong on the technology and IT sectors. Recent mandates have included public procurement challenges, IP claims, and tax, antitrust and debt recovery cases. Daniel Stefanica leads the team, which also has input from Alexandru Rusu. Senior associate Cezara Constantinescu is also well regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Alexandru Rusu; Cezara Constantinescu
‘When it comes to dispute resolution, I consider essential the capability to keep things simple and clear. This is what the team at bpv Grigorescu Stefanica does very well. They never enter into too many details, which might create confusion. This is, I believe, the key to success in case of a dispute: knowing to emphasize the important aspects, while keeping it simple. They are always keen in using technology and this was noticed especially during the pandemic lock-down, when technology was the main factor that kept us operational.’
‘Alexandru Rusu understood the importance to prioritise our position (as a client) to protect our commercial interest. This is a quality that is mostly appreciated.’
‘Cezara Constantinescu has the ability to extract the most relevant information, which proves to be decisive in winning a complex case.’
Google LLC & Google Bucharest
Iveco Defence Vehicles
Tiriac Imobiliare Group
Bucharest National School of Public Health, Management and Improvement in Health (SNSPMPDSB)
- Successfully represented the Municipality of Bucharest in a €5m real estate dispute with two private companies concerning the council’s alleged failure to approve a Zonal Urban Plan.
- Successfully advised Iveco Defence Vehicles (IDV), part of the CNH Industrial group of companies, throughout a challenge to the Romanian Ministry of National Defence’s public procurement procedure for the €700m acquisition of more than 2,900 high mobility trucks.
- Successfully represented Mondialacqua, whose majority shareholder is the American group Culligan Water, before the court of the first instance in Romania in a dispute over a utility model for a public water fountain technically similar to a Mondialacqua product.
Eversheds Sutherland Romania has a solid track record representing a wide range of domestic and international clients. The firm has good experience challenging administrative decisions, and is also good for broader commercial disputes, including contractual and distributorship claims. Sorin Susnea heads the team.
Compania de Utilitati Publice «Dunarea» Braila
Egyptian International Pharmaceutical Company
The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc. Edinburgh
- Assisting Multiprod Energo in a damages dispute for alleged contractual breach.
- Assisting Markus Blechner, The Honorary Consul of the Republic of Poland, on a variety of challenges against the national authorities’ decisions awarding compensatory measures as a result of abusive land confiscations under the Communist regime.
Ionescu si Sava, SCA represents a wide mix of corporate and private clients as well as public sector institutions and municipalities. The firm is especially strong in the public law space, and has a good track record representing manufacturers on dealership and product liability claims. Team head George Ionescu is also strong on real estate and construction disputes, while Alina Nica also handles aviation and IP matters. Clients also rate partner Alina Neagu, and associates Traian Pasca and Mihai Rad.
George Ionescu; Alina Nica
Other key lawyers:
Alina Neagu; Traian Pasca; Mihai Rad
‘Working with the lawyers from Ionescu & Sava is very conformable, considering that they understand our business so well, which always is a good thing, especially when you deal with all sorts of claims from providers or lessees. In addition, they are extremely experienced in their field, always up to date will all legal changes, which, especially this year, turned out to be vital.’
‘The people we have worked closely with are Traian Pasca, senior associate, and Alina Neagu, senior partner. Both have considerable experience in providing advice on a full range of dispute issues and are very knowledgeable litigators. Alina is very involved in all the legal disputes and coordinates from up close the activity of her team, while Traian always provides practical advice and good solutions on time-sensitive matters.’
‘The lawyers of Ionescu and Sava are very good litigators, characterized by strong legal knowledge, excellent at drafting pleadings and motions to be filed with the court. Likewise, the team of Ionescu and Sava brings a high level of involvement and understanding to each project they are part of, and seriously and professionally manages every legal case they have and provide legal assistance at a high level. ’
‘Regarding dispute resolution, we usually work with Alina Neagu. Alina is a sharp minded lawyer, oriented to the client’s business and careful with all details of a court case, who always provides us founded solutions to our needs.
‘Alina Nica has excellent leadership capabilities, a vast experience in several areas of law as well as great understanding of the legal needs of our business. During the last three years, our main contact has been Traian Pasca and Mihai Rad, who have been very prompt with all our requests, kept us permanently informed and had very good results in litigation.
‘Alina Nica is a lawyer very well prepared in matters related to disputes and provided us, within the agreed conditions and deadlines, professional and grounded legal services. We appreciate that her approach is also business-oriented and not limited to legal aspects, understanding the challenges of the industry we are acting in. Also, we have worked closely with Traian Pasca, a senior associate who is a very responsive, diligent and well-prepared lawyer, keen to obtain for his clients the best results. ’
Municipality of 4th Bucharest District
Mercedes-Benz Romania S.R.L.
Mercedes-Benz Leasing IFN S.A.
Mercedes-Benz Service Leasing S.R.L.
Department for Administration of Education Units – Municipality of 4th Bucharest District
Torrent Pharma S.R.L.
Star Assembly S.R.L.
Institutul pentru Parteneriat Social Bucovina
Mercedes-Benz AG (Daimler AG)
- Representing the Municipality of 4th Bucharest District in a dispute regarding the annulment of a building’s authorization, issued by the Mayor of the 4th Bucharest District, in which the client is facing the risk of paying over €19m to the plaintiff.
- Representing EEC INVEST IMOBILIARE S.R.L. during the second appeal after retrial, regarding the annulment of a building permit for one of its buildings in Bucharest.
- Representing the Municipality of 4th Bucharest District in a dispute regarding the annulment of a €1.25m public utility project and the cancellation of the expropriation procedure.
KPMG Legal - Toncescu & Partners SPRL has a versatile disputes practice with a good grounding in commercial contract litigations and arbitrations. The firm's KPMG links give it a strong foothold in the tax litigation sphere, and it is also recommended in insolvency-related claims. Practice head Vlad Peligrad has settled in well following his arrival from Clifford Chance Badea in 2019. Nicoleta Mihai is also active in this area, both on civil and administrative claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are unique in the prompt way in which they act and by the values on the basis of which they carry out their activity. It is indeed a team that demonstrates integrity and courage, offering excellent services.’
‘Vlad Peligrad is the best dispute resolution professional on the local market. He has great expertise and his approach to any issue a client may have is unrivaled.’
Cerealcom Dolj S.R.L.
General Mobilier Store S.R.L.
Rockwool Romania S.R.L.
Toros-Agroport Romania S.A.
NM Construction Zone S.R.L.
Heidi Chocolat S.A.
Monster Energy Europe Limited
- Assisting Intrarom in an arbitration case and in several litigation cases.
- Assisting Ceralcom Dolj in several litigation cases against two major railway transporters in relation to damages for non-fulfilment of contractual obligations and in several tax litigation cases.
- Representing CON-A, a major construction company, in a dispute before the Vienna Arbitration Court arising from a contractual partner’s failure to fully meet its payment obligations.
Reff & Associates SCA has a growing reputation for disputes work, particularly following the arrival of well-regarded practice head Mihnea Galgoţiu-Săraru. The versatile group was involved in several high value disputes in the past year, on behalf of domestic and multinational companies. As well as commercial civil claims (real estate and construction litigation being significant areas of activity), the firm's Deloitte link gives it an edge in tax and administrative disputes.
‘Exceptionally well experienced and open minded lawyers, which enables them to have quick and valuable legal input even on very short notice. Excellent knowledge of the legislation and of the similar case-law.’
‘It is a multidisciplinary team, very passionate, with a professional approach of an subject that it is split on different area of competencies and the result is spectacular, an exhaustive analysis that give to the client the answers even to unforeseeable questions.’
‘Very experienced in litigation field, with an out of the box approach.’
‘Mihnea Galgoțiu-Săraru is sharp, responds and delivers swiftly and has very good technical skills.’
IKEA Romania SA
Pirelli Tyres Romania SRL
Like IT Solution SRL
Damen Holding B.V.
Viales Y Obras Publicas SA
SSIF Tradeville S.A.
Bog’Art Holding BV and Mr Raul Doicescu
Banca Transilvania and BT Leasing Transilvania IFN SA
Transport Urban Sinaia SRL
Fujikura Automotive România SRL
HS Timber Productions SRL
Estrada Management SRL
Forte Partners Group
Prime Kapital Group
Nepi Rockcastle Group PLC
Take Project SRL (part of Mulberry Group)
Lidl Discount SRL
Kim Johansen Transport SRL
H&M Hennes & Mauritz SRL
adidas Romania SRL
Caterpillar Financial Services Poland Sp. Z.o.o. – Sucursala Romania IFN
GREEN TREE MARKETING S.R.L.
- Successfully represented a consortium of construction companies, led by Viales Y Obras Publicas SA Cuenca (one of the largest Spanish constructors), in an international commercial arbitration regarding a road construction project.
- Representing Gránit Polus in a series of lawsuits concerning the performance and termination of a joint-venture agreement with the local authorities from Cluj-Napoca for the construction of a 203 hectare residential project.
STALFORT Legal. Tax. Audit. is especially popular with German clients who appreciate the firm's language skills and ability to navigate them through Romania's court system. Experience includes major shareholder, insolvency and tax related claims. Mihai Macovei leads the team, which includes senior associates Mihail Lantos and Barna Bölönyi.
Other key lawyers:
Mihail Lantos; Barna Bölönyi
‘The team has very good experience in litigation, treating it with responsibility and professionalism.’
‘The multilingual and internationally experienced lawyers are a great help, because besides a profound knowledge of Romanian law, they are also familiar with the German legal system and thus know our expectations and can explain any differences that unfortunately exist. Of course, this also helps us, together with the lawyers, to achieve the best possible results for our group.’
‘The team is outstanding in many disciplines. The representation is always excellent and the communication, detailed, transparent and understandable. The advice is in line with our interests.’
‘Barna Bölönyi represented our company in delicate matters related to both commercial and employment law. I was impressed by his practical-oriented approach. He offered effective solutions on both material and procedural aspects of the cases, which led to satisfactory court decisions for our company.’
‘Mihail Macovei and Christian Weident have been with us for years. They know us and our needs and of course the challenges and cases. Moreover, both speak and write perfect German, which makes working together much easier.’
‘Mihai Lanțoş gives excellent advice in our mother tongues. Super reassuring and transparent advice. Excellent tone and very polite and courteous as well as practice-oriented and interest-oriented advice.
Dr. Oetker RO SRL
Sunflower (Luxembourg) Light Energy Science & Technology Co. Ltd., S.A.R.L./ Sunowe (Luxembourg) 1 Ltd.
PCO Group Romania SRL
Marquardt Schaltsysteme SCS
STEINEL Solutions AG
REETEC Regenerative Energie- und Elektrotechnik GmbH
Swoboda Sibiu SRL
Leipa Pack SRL
Continental Automotive Products SRL
DALLI Werke GmbH & Co. KG
CG Cargarantie Versicherungs AG
- Represented Sunflower in several parallel court actions and complex negotiations to help regain control over the Romanian company operating a 23MW photovoltaic park.
- Representing REETEC Regenerative Energie- und Elektrotechnik GmbH in a long-lasting litigation against a decision of the Romanian fiscal authority regarding supplemental VAT payments.
- Successfully represented STEINEL Solutions AG in a five year case against an unlawful interpretation of the legal status of a “permanent fiscal office” made by the fiscal authorities.
Stratula & Asociatii
Stratula & Asociatii represents a wide mix of domestic and international clients who value the attention that the partners bring to their disputes. The firm has a good track record on cross-border disputes, including claims in the infrastructure and real estate sectors. Oana Stratula and Sorin Stratula both attract high praise.
Sorin Stratula; Oana Stratula
‘These people know their craft and walk the extra mile for you. We consulted with them on many different occasions and each case was handled with utmost care and professionalism. I also appreciated working with people that care for you on a personal level instead of just handling you as a “case“. Highly recommended.’
‘Masterful in their negotiations, compromises, and legal skills. We are very satisfied with the results they fought hard for. We received straight-forward, clear communication from start to finish. Sound legal advice, no over-promising. Attorneys and staff were very responsive, returning calls in a prompt manner. Paperwork and communication always arrived when promised.’
‘Perhaps the thing that impressed me most about Oana Stratula and Sorin Stratula was nothing was sugar coated. They were very straight forward and told me what to expect each step of the way. Going through different situations from start to finish, Oana and Sorin kept me informed of each step and what the options were and what the risks were. There were no empty promises made just to keep the client happy which I know sometimes occurs when seeking counsel.’
- Advised Roche Romania in connection to a litigation against an association of patients, deriving from a breach of obligations under a sponsorship agreement concluded with the client.
- Advised Trameco with regard to a series of interconnected cases involving reciprocal monetary claims linked to a national road construction works contract.
- Defended Selina SRL against a claim filed by a County Council, whereby the plaintiff (a local public authority) is claiming the annulment of two sales agreements regarding a series of plots of land sold to our client.