Dispute resolution in Romania
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has an excellent reputation for complex civil and administrative litigations, and is also one of the market's most experienced firms in international arbitration. The firm regularly represents private sector clients in disputes with the regulatory authorities and has also taken on the government in high profile investment treaty claims. Robert Roşu and Ioana Hrisafi come highly recommended for commercial litigation, while Cornel Popa and Levana Zigmund are highly active on the arbitration front. Ionut Serban is also well regarded for litigation work.
Robert Rosu; Ioana Hrisafi; Levana Zigmund
‘Very good litigators, excellent at drafting pleadings and motions to be filed with the court. They are also very good at analysing hard facts and presenting a strategy on how to handle a case. The team comprises well educated lawyers, very client-oriented and good strategists.’
‘As a litigator, Robert Rosu is tough and persuasive, 100% committed to his cases. He heads the entire litigation department with professionalism and integrity. On the arbitration side, there is Cornel Popa, a fantastic arbitration lawyer, detail-oriented, with a down-to-earth approach and in-depth knowledge of ad-hoc and institutional arbitration proceedings. Ana Popa is extremely dedicated and responsive to our concerns. She is very structured and rhetorically very good.’
Gabriel Resources LTD (Canada) and Gabriel Resources (Jersey) Ltd
First Bank (former Piraeus Bank)
Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR)/ Erste Bank
GBI Serveis S.A.U., a Spanish company
Zoppas Industries Romania
Romanian Football Federation (FRF)
- Represented the Canadian mining company, Gabriel Resources, in a $4.4bn ICSID arbitration against the Romanian state seeking compensation over the company’s investments in the Rosia Montana mining project.
- Advising Alstom Transport on several railway infrastructure disputes, with an aggregate value of €1.83bn, against Romania’s National Railway Operator regarding several public contracts.
- Acting for the Romanian Football Federation on a civil and criminal case worth over €250m concerning the exclusion of the Premier Division club, Fotbal Club U Craiova, in 2011.
Dragne & Asociatii SCA has a strong pedigree representing clients in international arbitration, investment treaty disputes, and complex litigation. The firm's litigation expertise covers most areas, including criminal, administrative and civil law. Managing partners Ion Dragne and Stelian Garofil are respectively very strong on the arbitration and litigation front. Delia Bosman has good experience in tax and real estate disputes, while Daniel Cirstea is well versed in commercial, administrative and employment litigation. Andreia Dumitrescu and Ioana Oprea also have versatile commercial disputes practices.
Ion Dragne; Stelian Garofil
‘Brings a high level of involvement and understanding to each project it is part of, and seriously and professional manages every legal case it has and provides proper legal assistance to its clients‘.
Banca Comerciala Romania
- Representing construction materials manufacturer, Adeplast, in several contractual and unfair competition claims.
- Succesfully represented Viorel Micula in the enforcement of a $250m ICSID award against the Romanian government.
- Acting for Alpha Bank in several disputes, including the recovery of €63m worth of debt, and the defence of a €30m damages claim brought by another company.
Filip & Company is a popular choice for complex domestic and cross-border disputes. The firm's experience covers international arbitration, as well as major banking, shareholder, construction, media and sports disputes. The team is led by Catalin Alexandru, who is highly experienced in civil and administrative litigation. Senior associate Liliana Dranca is also recommended.
‘The firm has a high business understanding of the case as well as local and international (UK) legal expertise, and a fast reply and ownership of the process and coordination of third party lawyers in the UK.’
‘The team is very responsive and gives very practice legal advice and meets the required deadlines. The team offers attractive financial conditions.’
‘Catalin Alexandru made good assessment and provided practical advice, which helped to resolve the issue. ‘
Piraeus Bank Romania
British American Tobacco
- Representing the Ministry of Finance in a €477m ICSID claim brought by an Austrian investor.
- Representing the cable and satellite TV company RCS & RDS in numerous high-value claims, including contractual, IP and defamation suits.
- Acting for Hidroelectrica in challenging a fine imposed by the National Energy Regulatory Authority concerning the direct sale of electricity on the Hungarian market.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen's disputes team forms a core part of its overall offering, and the team has strong litigation experience. Senior partner Ana Diculescu-Sova leads the practice and alongside Sorina Olaru has strong expertise in international arbitration. Other experienced litigators include Emil Bivolaru, who is noted for his contentious administrative and tax law expertise; Radu Damaschin, who regularly handles public procurement disputes; Peggy Suica-Neagu; and up-and-coming partner Valeriu Mina.
‘The dispute resolution team is specialized in all areas of dispute resolution in Romania. Their unrivalled experience on litigation related to permitting was very valuable for us.’
‘Sorina Olaru is sharp minded, always careful with all details of a case. Sorina is a very strong leader who has the ability to handle complex matters, with her in charge of our litigation we always had the comfort we are in good hands’.
BRD – Groupe Societe Generale
Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR)
Wizzair KFT Hungary
ENGIE Romania SA
Souther Harvest/Multiagra SRL
Fri-El Green Power
- Representing Engie in a €5.5m dispute concerning the exemption of direct tax duties for the supply of natural gas.
- Representing agribusiness investment fund Southern Harvest/Multiagra in a dispute with the Agency for Payments and Intervention relating to the award of subsidies.
- Acting for renewables company, Gruppo Fri-El, in litigation concerning the extension of concession agreements for 13,000 hectares of land in the Danube Delta.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii is a market leader for business critical litigation and international arbitration. On the litigation front, the team has good expertise in commercial, civil and administrative disputes, and Ciprian Donțu, Ilinca Ștefănescu-Goangă and Mihaela Ion are all experienced litigators. Florian Nițu and Raluca Petrescu are the main contacts for international arbitration.
STOICA & Asociatii – Attorneys at Law has a top-notch reputation for civil and administrative litigation as well as international arbitration. The firm's varied client base, including public and private sector clients of all sizes, means its lawyers have strong expertise across a range of dispute types and sectors. More recently, the firm has been involved in several significant telecoms and environmental claims. Valeriu Stoica and Cristiana Stoica lead the well-regarded team, which includes highly rated administrative litigator Dragos Bogdan.
Valeriu Stoica; Cristiana Stoica
Romanian Commercial Bank – Construction Bank
Orange Romania SA
BRD – Societe Generale
Telekom Romania Communications SA
BCR – Banca Comerciala Romana
Kaufland Romania SCS
- Acting for Romanian telecoms regulatory authority, ANCOM, in litigation concerning an alleged illegal decision.
- Representing Orange Romania in a contractual dispute with an intermediary which had made a claim for damages over alleged debts.
- Representing steel producer, ArcelorMittal, in its challenge of environmental taxes established by local authorities.
Dispute resolution is a core area for Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners, which has a deep bench of partners and associates with strong track records in litigation and arbitration. The firm regularly represents public and private sector clients in administrative and contractual claims, and has been very active in the energy and infrastructure space. Lawyers also have excellent expertise in ancillary areas such as insolvency, antitrust, IP, and white-collar criminal law. Calin-Andrei Zamfirescu, Cosmin Vasile, Alina Tugearu and Stan Tirnoveanu are all highly experienced disputes lawyers. Cosmin Cojocaru is a key name at associate level.
Călin-Andrei Zamfirescu; Cosmin Vasile
‘Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners has a superb, experienced and reliable dispute resolution team, with high-level expertise in construction disputes. The team members have demonstrated an unlimited proactive approach, attention to client’s objectives and understanding of the commercial terms.’
‘Incredible performance for an affordable price, partners with huge experience in all kind of disputes, and a client friendly approach.’
‘Calin Zamfirescu – a legend of the Romanian bar, one of the most respected litigators in Romania and a lawyer with a deep understanding of business matters.’
‘Cosmin Vasile is the most talented litigator from the young generation, with astonishing results both in courts and in arbitration, with solid international experience.’
‘Cosmin Cojocaru is a young talented litigator, easy to work with, very effective, very promising.’
‘Managing associate Violeta Saranciuc is a resourceful problem solver with great case management skills. She is a rising star in arbitration.’
Pirelli Tyres Romania
Raiffeisen Bank International AG
UNIQA Asigurări (UNIQA Insurance Group)
- Successfully defended Romania against Alpiq’s €400m+ investment treaty claim over the insolvency of Hidroelectrica and the decision by its judicial administrator to terminate two long-term electricity supply contracts.
- Acting for Aris Capital in several disputes with the Financial Supervisory Authority concerning fines imposed over the sale of shares in SIF Banat Crisna.
- Representing the Romanian Gas and Electricity Market Operator, Opcom, in over 20 disputes before the courts concerning the functioning of the electricity market.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA has an active team led by Viorel Dinu, who has over 20 years of experience in the market. The group works closely with other departments within the firm and also has strong experience of highly regulated sectors such as life sciences, tax, employment, data privacy and public procurement. As part of the White & Case LLP network, lawyers handle a regular flow of major cross-border disputes.
‘They provide deep analysis combined with clear practical guidance. Always very prompt, flexible and reliable.’
‘A very good team. Always involved, with pertinent opinions.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Representing Sanofi in a succesful challenge against a fine imposed by Romania’s pharmaceuticals regulator, ANMDM, for allegedly selling products above the permitted regulated price.
- Acting for GlaxoSmithKline in a high-value dispute with the fiscal authorities concerning claw-back and profit taxes specific to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Representing supermarket chain Profi Rom Food in a dispute with InStore Media over a contested commercial advertising agreement on supermarket premises.
Clifford Chance Badea's practice is fully integrated into the firm's wider international network, ensuring that clients are well represented in major cross-border disputes. Team head Simona Neagu is an experienced litigator with a strong background in international arbitration, as well as major infrastructure, telecoms, energy and procurement-related disputes.
- Representing a major power generation and water company in an ICC claim linked to a Romanian power infrastructure project.
- Acting for a leading telecoms company in contesting a fine brought by the Romanian Competition Council.
- Representing an international real estate developer in a land ownership dispute linked to a planned shopping centre development.
CMS has a strong standing in the market, particularly for disputes involving public authorities, be they administrative, compliance, regulatory, or white collar crime-related. These are areas where practice head and managing partner Gabriel Sidere is extremely well regarded, especially when handling enforcement proceedings. The team is also experienced in major international arbitration and investment treaty disputes, where co-head Horia Draghici also has a good track record.
Gabriel Sidere; Horia Draghici
‘Tremendous experience, exceptional legal abilities, prompt action, clear vision, attention to details but keeping in view the big picture, impressive communication skills, very good team coordination.’
‘A very knowledgeable and responsive team.’
‘Gabriel Sidere stands out. He is a motivational powerhouse in the arena of incident response, government enforcement and reputation management. Gabriel is extremely tenacious, thoughtful and pragmatic’.
‘Horia Draghici is very flexible and an excellent litigator’.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA has a versatile practice where lawyers have a strong grounding in major cross-border commercial disputes, as well as major administrative and employment cases. The team, which is led by the highly experienced Radu Bălaș, has been involved in several high-profile disputes in the online gambling, fintech, energy, and pharmaceutical industries.
‘A very competent and results-oriented team, available and able to explain in detail the issues to understand the risks and best approach for the business.’
Citadela Project S.A.
Hillside (bet365 group)
AstraZeneca UK Limited and AstraZeneca AB
WHG (International) Limited
- Represented real estate developer, Citadela, in a dispute with two NGOs concerning the suspension and annulment of building permits for some residential development projects.
- Representing 270 customers of bet365 in challenging administrative fines applied by National Office for Gambling.
- Representing Wizz Air in several complex employment disputes and discrimination claims.
Kinstellar is a popular choice for domestic and cross-border disputes, and practice heads Bogdan Bibicu and Remus Codreanu attract praise from clients. The team has a good background in most administrative and civil claims, including employment, public procurement and insolvency disputes, and is also experienced in white-collar criminal defence.
Bogdan Bibicu; Remus Codreanu
‘Experienced lawyers with strong technical background, providing balanced and client-friendly advice.’
CMC Electronics Aurora
Laboratoires Madaus -Rottapharm – Mylan
Bancpost SA and ERB New Europe Funding II
Air Liquide Vitalaire Romania
FBR Forest One
APM Terminals Romania
Siemens Mobility and Siemens Rail Automation
- Representing CMC Electronics Aurora in a court challenge against Avioane Craiova’s move to modernise the IAR 99 aircraft into a Super Soim configuration.
- Successfully defended pharmaceutical company, Laboratoires Madaus-Rottapharm-Mylan, against a claim made by a Romanian distributor over a terminated distribution agreement.
- Acting for Dow Europe in a case involving an IT fraud/cybercrime in which the client had made significant payments into the bank account of fraudsters.
Musat & Asociatii is a popular choice for high-value litigation and arbitration. The team includes several highly experienced litigators, including former judges, among its ranks. Senior lawyers such as Gheorghe Buta are also regularly instructed to act in ICC arbitrations and ICSID cases. Energy, infrastructure, and fiscal and administrative claims have featured prominently in the caseload, both for public and private sector clients. Other key individuals include Gheorghe Musat, Paul Buta and former judge Nela Petrișor.
‘The legal team offers a well-rounded and very dynamic dispute resolution practice, with regional and multinational coverage. A firm with international standards and an important local player.’
‘Highly respected team with excellent knowledge of the field, they offer good solutions and they are able to understand the most complex legal cases. Their firm provides exceptional quality of work with a great team of lawyers displaying depth of knowledge.’
‘Gheorghe Buta is one of the most well-known and respected experts in commercial, civil and criminal disputes in Romania. An exceptional lawyer with experience, dedicated to the profession.’
‘Paul Buta is an experienced litigator with an extraordinary capacity to provide analysis and innovative solutions.’
‘Gheorghe Musat is a great lawyer, one of the builders of the practice of business law in Romania, he is a real team leader, a strong personality and highly respected in the market.’
Compania Nationala De Cai Ferate Romania
Copisa Constructora Pirenaica
Toshiba Transmission & Distribution
- Represented KMG International in €1.6bn worth of civil and commercial claims following an investigation by the Public Prosecutors’ Office.
- Acting for the Romanian National Railway Company in an €828m ICC arbitration concerning a major railway infrastructure project.
- Representing Electrica Furnizare, an electricity supplier, in several administrative and fiscal disputes linked to audit reports carried out by the Romanian Court of Auditors, as well as in the insolvency proceedings against Oltchim.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has built up an extremely strong track record in business critical disputes. As well as handling major civil litigation and arbitration, the team is especially strong in heavily regulated sectors such as energy. It is highly experienced in administrative litigation, including antitrust and tax claims, as well as cross-border IP disputes. Valentin Berea and of counsel Lucian Mihai are two of the firm's top practitioners in the disputes space
Valentin Berea; Lucian Mihai
Paramount Pictures Corporation
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
Universal City Studios Productions
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment
Sumiriko AVS Romania – member of Anvis Group
Arctic (Arcelik group)
- Successfully represented Romanian electrical company, Electrica, as co-counsel in its €800m litigation against SAPE (the Management Company for Ownership in Energy) relating to alleged breaches of the post-privatisation monitoring obligations for Electrica’s former distribution subsidiaries.
- Successfully acted for Hollywood studios, including Paramount Pictures, Walt Disney Studio Motion Pictures, and Sony Pictures Entertainment, in the first site-blocking case in Central and Eastern Europe, which involved bringing claims against internet service providers that host pirate movie websites.
- Representing automotive company, Sumiriko, in a complex tax dispute relating to the company’s intra-group relations and commercial transactions.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA is a key name for high-stakes litigation and international arbitration, having been involved in approximately €2.5bn worth of disputes in the past year. These includes major administrative and tax disputes with various regulatory bodies, as well as insurance, shareholder, public procurement and contractual claims. Managing partner Sebastian Gutiu is very active in this area, as is Emeric Domokos-Hancu, for insolvency-related disputes, and Adina Jivan for regulatory litigation.
Sebastian Guțiu; Emeric Domokos-Hancu; Adina Jivan
Asirom (Vienna Insurance Group)
Member companies of Alpiq Group
Eurobank Ergasias SA
- Represented Eurobank Ergasias in a high-stakes dispute concerning the annulment of sanctions imposed by the Romanian consumer protection agency concerning alleged unfair commercial practices following the transfer of a portfolio of performing loans.
- Representing electricity distribution and supply company, Electrica, as co-counsel in a €800m dispute with the Romanian Management Company for Ownership in Energy concerning post-privatisation obligations.
- Acting for Alpiq Energy in a €175m tax dispute with the Romanian tax authorities over alleged unpaid taxes between 2010 and 2014.
Suciu Popa has a growing disputes practice with three partners and a further ten lawyers experienced in cross-border litigation and arbitration. The firm is especially noted for its excellent track record representing energy and infrastructure clients in a variety of issues, including complex construction, regulatory, contractual and environmental claims. Luminița Popa is a leading figure in the market.
Enel Investment Holding
Hunt Oil Company of Romania
Bolt (former Taxify)
GFR – Grupul Feroviar Roman
Enel Energie Muntenia
Enel Green Power
- Successfully represented Enel Investment Holding in a €130m ICC arbitration arising from a privatisation agreement.
- Acting for Rompetrol Rafinarie, one of Romania’s largest oil exporters, in a complex environmental dispute related to its Vega refinery.
- Acting for Strabag, a construction company, in several ICC arbitration claims relating to Romanian road infrastructure projects.
Wolf Theiss is recommended for its strong expertise in domestic litigation and international arbitration. The firm's international client base ensures a steady flow of cross-border matters, and the team is regularly involved in major administrative, tax, insolvency, IP and employment-related disputes. Ligia Popescu has over 20 years of experience in the market.
‘The overall vision and the connection to the market makes the practice unique. They provide good involvement and attention to detail, and in-depth knowledge of the legislation.’
‘The disputes resolution team provides a significant added value in complex proceedings involving both civil and regulatory issues. It is the right choice also in cases where the client intends to reach a profitable settlement following multiple disputes.’
‘Ligia Popescu is very clear and helpful in her advice.’
Al-Arrab Contracting Company
Agrium Agroport Romania
Blue Air – Airline Management System
Burlington Capital International
Degi Millennium Tower
Energreen Investment Europe
International Automotive Components
- Represented Al Arrab Investment Fund Saudi Arabia in an €180m appeal claim following success at the first instance in a dispute with the Romanian Authority for the Administration of State Assets.
- Acting for Energreen Investment Europe and its Romanian subsidiaries in the enforcement of a claim against the client by a third party.
- Representing Agrium Europe in insolvency proceedings against a former client for the recovery of €16m.
Buzescu Ca has a versatile disputes practice that has a strong track record in civil and administrative law matters. Recently, the firm has been involved in several significant state aid claims, as well as broader commercial, employment, tax and IP disputes. Peter Buzescu leads the practice, which includes well-regarded senior associate Alex Cretu.
‘A reliable and trustworthy partner. The firm is fast in response and flexible to address legal matters efficiently on a wide range of legal fields. They are our valued partners in Romania.’
‘The lawyers and partners have a thorough knowledge of pertinent energy law and are also very quick to understand the actual business practice.’
Viking Oilfield Services
- Representing Wizz Air in damages claims totalling €91.5m relating to alleged state aid and anti-competitive behaviour by Timisoara Airport.
- Successfully representing the generic pharmaceutical manufacturer, Alvogen Ipco, in a €20m patent infringement dispute with Teva.
- Acting for Viking Oilfield Services in a VAT-related dispute with the Romanian tax authority.
Dentons has been very active in major administrative litigation, often with a competition or tax element. The team, which is led by the experienced litigator and arbitration lawyer, Tiberiu Csaki has also handled several high-profile employment, construction, banking and real estate disputes.
Unirea Shopping Center
Shanghai Sensheng Assets Management Center
Rizhao Jinfukang International Trade CO LTD
The Nova Group B.V.
Rostok Wreck Removal Consortium – Muller Maritime
Tomis Team (part of CEZ Group)
- Acting for retailer Auchan in the annulment of a €5m fine imposed by the Romanian Competition Council over alleged price fixing.
- Representing automotive company, Autoliv, in several fiscal-administrative disputes in the Romanian courts.
- Defending Avatar Security against an unfair competition claim filed by a rival electronic surveillance company.
Leroy si Asociatii handles civil and administrative disputes for clients from across a broad range of business sectors. Recently, the group has handled significant claims in heavily regulated industries such as energy, waste management and defence, as well as broader commercial contract litigation. Bruno Leroy is an experienced litigator with over 20 years of experience.
VITALIA GROUP (ROMANIA)
Albalact SA (Lactalis Group) / IBT
ENGIE Romania SA (member of ENGIE GROUP)
- Representing waste management company, Vitalia, in a high-value dispute over its provision of sanitation services in the Bistrita-Nisaud county.
- Acting for dairy company, Albalact, in a complex damages claim arising from a breakdown in negotiations concerning the sale of its logistics company.
- Representing Engie Romania in a claim against the Romanian Energy Regulatory Authority over adjustments to the country’s regulated gas prices.
MPR Partners | Maravela, Popescu & Roman fields a 'very agile and experienced team' with strong experience in high-profile international arbitration and ICSID claims, as well as administrative and civil litigation. Ioan Roman, Gelu Maravela and Alina Popescu are all very active in this area.
Ioan Roman; Alexandra Rimbu
‘Excellent expertise, competent, reliable, fast, and friendly.’
‘Founding Partners Gelu Maravela, Alina Popescu and Ioan Roman are excellent team leaders, very skilled and with ahands-on approach.’
‘Ioan Roman is our key contact. He is always available and always cares for us as a client.’
‘Very agile and experienced team.‘
Bacău City Hall
Romania Ministry of Public Finance
- Representing Romania’s Ministry of Public Finance in a €300m ICSID dispute against ten claimants over changes to green energy legislation.
- Acting for a major client in the automotive sector in a dispute concerning a public contract in the defence sector.
Noerr's Bucharest office has 'a good team' of disputes and compliance lawyers led by Alexandru Ene. The group is well equipped to handle major administrative and commercial disputes, including employment, insolvency, public procurement, insurance, and white-collar criminal law cases.
Harman International Industries
Grawe Romania Insurance
- Represented a taxi app services operator in a dispute concerning the suspension of its authorisation to dispatch taxis.
Popescu & Asociatii is a recently established firm that is led by Octavian Popescu, a former litigation partner at Musat & Asociatii. The practice has grown quickly and has four partners with a strong and varied background in dispute resolution, including administrative, civil and white-collar criminal defence matters.
‘Popescu & Asociatii has terrific experienced people and very bright and enthusiastic young lawyers. They are prominent lawyers in disputes, and they do everything in an exceptional way. The level of service we receive is excellent, as is the calibre of people engaged in our work. They provide outstanding legal advice, especially in view of the challenges of a cross-border litigation environment.’
‘Octavian Popescu is the only Romanian lawyer that I trust completely. He continues to have a special esteem on the Romanian market, based on his experience as lawyer and Vice-president of the Bucharest Arbitration Commercial Court. He is very thorough, intelligent and very easy to work with. I consider him to be a committed business partner, who is laser focused on solving both the legal and business issues at hand. Best of the best in Romania.’
Toshiba Transmission & Distribution Europe Sa
Chamber Of Commerce And Industry Bucharest
- Represented Leumi Bank, an Israeli bank, in a $325m damages claim over the settlement of receivables linked to Dacia Felix Bank (the former Leumi Bank Romania).
- Representing power supplier, Electrica Furnizara, in several high-value disputes, including one linked to the insolvency of Oltchim.
- Acting for Mytilineos Holding and Sometra Copsa Mica, in a claim related to a disputed environmental permit related to a slag landfill.
VASS Lawyers excels in public procurement-related disputes. The group represents clients from across a range of sectors, including healthcare, automotive, infrastructure, IT, non-profit, and energy in their disputes with bidders and public authorities. Iulia Vass and recently promoted partner Alexandra Mititelu are highly regarded.
‘We have worked with Vass Lawyers for many years and have been very impressed with their expertise and professionalism, as well as their high level of integrity. Iulia Vass and her team have always offered a fantastic legal representation to our company. They are extremely prompt, creative and have a genuine desire to achieve the best outcome for their customers.’
‘The firm represented us in a dispute with two other bidders in a public procurement procedure. The negotiation and trial had unexpected complications, and the team managed it with great professionalism and expeditiously, given the time constraints. Iulia Vass was very organized and efficient. She conducted herself in an utmost professional manner, and clearly explained the final steps of the process.’
‘Alexandra Mititelu was faultless.’
Berechet Rusu Hirit is a well regarded disputes boutique and lead partners Madalina Berechet and Valentin Hirit have a strong background in litigation and international arbitration. The firm handles the full range of civil and administrative disputes, and also has expertise in white-collar criminal defence.
Madalina Berechet; Valentin Hirit
‘Berechet Rusu Hirit has a very good reputation in terms of commitment and capacity to understand the matters received from the clients.’
‘Anca Rusu and Valentin Hirit are real professionals, and rigorous and pragmatic thinkers in term of defence strategy.’
Intact Media Group
Connect 44 Network Services
Curtea Veche Publishing
- Representing Monsson Group and six other renewable power investors in a €17m tax-related class action against the National Energy Regulatory Authority
- Representing Intact Media Group before the European Court of Human Rights in a claim concerning breach of property rights, seized assets, and the right to a fair trial.
Biris Goran SPARL is best known for its tax litigation expertise but also has strong experience of other forms of administrative disputes, including antitrust matters. Mihai Nușcă leads the team, which also includes founding partner Gabriel Biriş.
‘The firm offers high knowledge, high practical experience, prompt answers, easy understanding of the topics, very good communication, and fast access to all members of the team.’
‘Good understanding of complex cases and excellent communication.’
Banca Comercială Română
Electrica Muntenia Nord
Unicredit Leasing Corporation
- Representing Banca Comercială Română in a multimillion-euro dispute with the Romanian Tax Authorities.
- Acting for Pubicis Groupe in a high-profile dispute with the Romanian Competition Council.
- Succesfully representing Farmec in a €15m tax dispute with the tax authorities.
Daniel Stefanica leads the team at bpv Grigorescu Stefanica, which has experience representing clients across a variety of disputes. Given the firm's strong IT client base, it has good expertise in the contentious aspects of technology and data protection. Procurement, infrastructure, IP, employment, debt recovery, and tax disputes also feature prominently in its workload.
Bucharest City Hall
Magyar Suzuki Corporation
National Foundation for Science and Art (FNSA)
- Representing Bucharest City Hall in a dispute with a contractor over alleged failure to make payments in a large-scale traffic infrastructure project.
- Counsel to the industrial chemicals distributor Biesterfeld International in a damages claim against Elton Corporation over its alleged failure to meet contractual obligations.
- Representing Natura Management in a claim against Romanian Waters National Administration over its alleged failure to pay for services.
Cunescu, Balaciu & Asociatii
Cunescu, Balaciu & Asociatii is a solid choice for infrastructure, contractual, employment and IP-related disputes. The team, which is led by Beatrice Onica Jarka, and also includes managing partner Dinu Petre and Monica Badescu, has also represented clients in administrative disputes with various public bodies.
Marinescu Constantin Cosmin
GCI Global Capital Investments
Mirus Consultanta Salariare
LC Waikiki Retail
- Representing Mirus Consultanta Salarizare in an employment dispute with a former employee involving a range of issues including breach of confidentiality.
- Representing joint venture company Pizzarotti-Tirrena Scavi in a €7.4m claim against the National Company for Road Infrastructure Administration over its decision to terminate a motorway construction contract.
- Acting for LC Waikiki Retail in a €100,000 claim to obtain damages from a distributor over branded merchandise it sold.
D&B David si Baias SCA has an excellent reputation for tax-related litigation, where partners such as Dan Dascălu and Ana-Maria Iordache are active. The team's lawyers regularly appear before the courts challenging high-value tax liability assessments handed down by the authorities. The group is also strong in other areas of administrative litigation, such as competition and antitrust cases, where Sorin David is a key name.
‘The team is able to handle really complex tax and competition litigations, rapidly delivering the best possible strategy with maximum efficiency.’
‘Sorin David is a reputable, leading competition lawyer, with immense experience in competition matters, who promptly delivers the best possible advice. Dan Dascalu is a truly prestigious tax lawyer, with extremely extensive knowledge in this field, combined with the skills of a coherent and efficient barrister which makes him a top choice as a lawyer in any tax dispute. Ana-Maria Iordache is a fully experienced litigator in a variety of areas law, such as tax and administrative litigations, who always undertakes the most thorough approach.’
Grup Servicii Petroliere
Cofco Romania (formerly Nidera)
Centrul International CDG
Quadrant Amroq (Pepsi Group)
Prysmian Cabluri si Sisteme
- Representing PepsiCo subsidiary, Quadrant Amroq Beverages, in a tax dispute concerning the recovery of over €1.5m worth of excise duties.
- Acting for mechanical engineering company, Voith Hydro, before the Romanian courts for the annulment of a tax assessment decision imposing €14.2m of additional liabilities.
- Representing construction company, Asconti, in its bid to challenge an assessment of €4.5m worth of tax liabilities based on social security contributions for foreign-based employees.
Eversheds Sutherland Romania acts for a healthy mix of banks, corporates and public bodies in a range of civil and administrative disputes. Practice head Sorin Susnea and his team regularly advise on employment, tax, consumer protection, insolvency and debt recovery claims.
Telekom Romania Communications
Autoritatea de Supraveghere Financiara (The Financial Supervisory Authority)
Alpha Omega Confexim
Samsic Facility Maintenance
The Royal Bank of Scotland
- Representing Romania’s Financial Supervisory Authority in contentious claims linked to the bankruptcy of major insurer, Carpatica Asig.
- Acting for Multiprod Energo in a damages claim initiated by a former business partner.
- Representing agricultural company, Agrocov, in challenging an administrative decision by a public authority.
Dispute resolution is a core practice for Ionescu si Sava, SCA, which represents a mix of public and private sector clients, as well as NGOs. The team has a good track record for administrative disputes in the pharmaceutical sector. George Ionescu, Alina Nica and Alina Neagu are all experienced litigators.
George Ionescu; Alina Nica; Alina Neagu
Institute For Social Partnership Bucovina
TAROM Romanian Air Transport
Municipality of 4th District
General Council of Bucharest
- Acting for the General Council of Bucharest in a dispute over an environmental action plan for the prevention and reduction of ambient noise near the city’s airport.
- Acting for the NGO, the Institute for Social Partnership Bucovina, in a €260,000 funding dispute.
- Representing Tarom Romanian Air Transport in a dispute with a Romanian travel agency over the alleged non-fulfillment of its contractual obligations.
STALFORT Legal. Tax. Audit. is well known for its strong focus on German and German-speaking clients. Mihai Macovei's team has good experience in a range of administrative disputes, and has also been involved in several significant contractual and debt recovery claims for foreign clients.
‘The lawyers of Stalfort with whom we deal, speak and write almost all excellent German. This of course makes our cooperation much easier, especially since we are not legal experts and there could be misunderstandings if we had to communicate in English or even in Romanian. Furthermore, we think it is very convenient that Stalfort has a sufficiently large team of lawyers, so that we have not only been able to clarify our concerns competently but also without delay.’
‘Mihail Macovei is well informed in all construction law and arbitration matters.’
Continental Automotive Products
REETEC Regenerative Energie & Elektrotechnik
Liebherr International Austria
Continental Automotive Systems
Continental Powertrain Romania
Steinel Gruppe Romania
CG Cargarantie Versicherungs
Almos Alfons Mosel Verwaltungs
Porsche Leasing EOOD Bulgaria
IMAM Sole e Vento
Pressburg Imobiliare/ Pressburg Partners
- Representing Dr. Oetker in a consumer protection dispute involving a ban on certain products in a specific hypermarket chain due to a failure to provide full translations on the products’ packaging.
- Acting for tire manufacturer, Continental Automotive Products, in a dispute concerning its alleged failure to uphold environmental standards.
- Representing steel manufacturer, Belmet Handelsgesellschaft, in a €1m+ debt recovery claim against Dan Steel Group Beclean.
Stratula & Asociatii
Stratula & Asociatii has developed an excellent reputation for EU funds litigation. The team has also been active in several major real estate and infrastructure disputes, and regularly represents major international companies operating in Romania. Sorin Stratula and Oana Stratula are highly regarded.
Sorin Stratula; Oana Stratula
‘They are a reliable and meticulous team of lawyers, who pay attention to particulars and to each possible argument.’
‘Stratula & Asociatii has a unique dispute resolution practice in EU funds litigation, with a heavy expertise in this area. They have extensive knowledge of the specific domain and its particularities.’
‘Sorin Stratula is a sharp and logical legal thinker. He collects all data and puts them in the correct order to build our case.’
- Acting for construction company Trameco in a series of interconnected cases connected to a disputed road construction project.
- Representing construction company, Selina, in a real estate dispute with Bihor County over the annulment of two land purchase contracts.
Vernon | David is popular with domestic and international clients, ranging from major financial services providers, to construction companies, consumer goods producers, and manufacturers. The team, led by Daniela David, covers all civil, fiscal and administrative disputes, and has a particularly strong reputation for employment litigation.
‘Vernon David is very client oriented, intelligent and hard working. They strive to understand our business in order to provide best solutions for our legal issues. And this is how they became trusted advisors. This is the difference that is important to us.’
‘The entire team is very good. Daniela David was our main contact for our major projects. As the team/project leader, she did a great job. The team delivered when needed, even when under tight time frames and deal pressure. Litigation is always an issue in Romania and they do a good job handling and managing our cases. We have also used Diana Neagu and Laura Irizea and find them excellent. The team has a very high success rate in labour litigation.’
TMK (TMK-Artrom and TMK-Resita)
SBR (subsidiary of Solentache Bachy)
National Bank of Greece
Elite Insurance Company
Intesa San Paolo
Lakeside Food Group
- Representing Lakeside in a claim against Romania’s largest chicken producer for damages caused by a product recall.
- Representing construction company, Abengoa, in over 25 litigation cases linked to a Romanian water project.
- Acting for insurance company, Elite, in a dispute with a major electricity distributor over fraudulent insurance policies.