Banking, finance and capital markets in Qatar
Allen & Overy LLP
Al Tamimi & Company In Association with Adv. Mohammed Al Marri advises some of the country's leading financial institutions on Qatar-based work, as well as cross-border matters. Advising clients on matters relating to sukuk, such as the issuance of sukuk certificates, is a key area of strength. Practice head and head of office Matthew Heaton has particular expertise in acquisition and leveraged finance, corporate lending and real estate finance. Rafiq Jaffer is also noted; Jaffer advises financial institutions on lending deals involving both conventional and Islamic structures.
Other key lawyers:
Masraf Al Rayan
Qatar Islamic Bank
Societe Generale Corporate and Investment Bank
- Advised Masraf Al Rayan on its issuance of sukuk under its sukuk issuance programme.
- Advised Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, QInvest and Standard Chartered Bank, as arrangers and dealers, on the update of the $4bn trust certificate programme established by Qatar Islamic Bank, and on the issuance of sukuk certificates for public trades and private placements.
- Advised Al Khalij Commercial Bank, Arab Banking Corporation, Barclays Bank, Mizuho, QNB Capital and Standard Chartered Bank, as dealers, on the update of a $1.5bn euro medium term note programme, and on the issuance of notes under the programme.
Baker & McKenzie Limited
Baker & McKenzie Limited has expertise in a range of banking and finance matters, including project and development finance, contractor finance, aviation finance, acquisition finance, Islamic finance and debt capital markets (including sukuk). The practice has a broad client base of private equity funds, banks and other financial institutions. Ian Siddell heads the practice and has a strong focus on Islamic finance and project and development finance. Mohsin Iqbal and Basel Barakat are also noted; both are experienced in project finance.
Other key lawyers:
Mohsin Iqbal; Basel Barakat
Saudi Binladin Group Company Limited
The Commercial Bank (P.S.Q.C.)
Qatar National Bank Q.P.S.C.
DBS Bank Ltd (DIFC Branch)
- Acting as legal adviser to DBS Bank Ltd (DIFC Branch) in connection with a proposed revolving credit facility for Ooredoo Q.P.S.C (as the borrower) of up to $300m.
- Advising a major Middle Eastern conglomerate in connection with a divestment of its assets in Qatar, including the transfer of its shares in multiple Qatari companies and the assignment of its interests in several major projects in Qatar.
Simmons & Simmons Middle East
Simmons & Simmons Middle East advises a number of the leading banks and financial institutions in Qatar, including Al Khalij Commercial Bank, Commercial Bank and Qatar National Bank. The practice advises on matters ranging from general financing and note issuances to regulatory compliance and reform. Practice head Andrew Wingfield regularly advises international and domestic financial institutions on cross-border financings and regulatory issues.
‘Simmons & Simmons is very reliable and is available for assistance 24/7. It is very knowledgeable in finance and corporate governance. One of the most respected international law firms in Doha, which has kept its reputation as a first-class legal services provider.’
Umm Al Houl Power P.Q.S.C.
Qatar Financial Centre Authority
Al Khalij Commercial Bank (al khaliji)
Qatar National Bank (Q.P.S.C.)
The Commercial Bank
Qatar Investment Authority / Qatar Holding LLC
Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development
Mandarin Oriental Group
Qatar Free Zones Authority
Bank of China Limited
- Advised and negotiated on behalf of Umm Al Houl Power Q.S.C. in relation to the transaction documents and finance documents for the expansion of a major power and water plant in Qatar.
- Advised and assisted the Qatar Financial Centre Authority with promoting the netting regulations and standard ISDA documentation in the QFC jurisdiction to be utilised by financial institutions in the State of Qatar.
- Advised Qatar National Bank QPSC on the update of its $17.5bn EMTN programme and advised on a number of note issuance.
Arab Law Bureau
Arab Law Bureau advises a range of Qatar-based banks on local lending, debt restructurings and insolvencies. The practice has considerable experience in the energy sector and in project finance. Managing partner Alaa Hamad is a key point of contact and has a strong background in banking and finance.
Sharq Law Firm advises on a range of matters relating to banking and finance, as well as capital markets, including bond issuances, restructurings and IPOs. The practice advises clients ranging from Qatar-based banks to government bodies in Qatar. Founding and senior partner Rashid Al Saad Al Kuwari heads the team and displays experience advising on cross-border transactions and foreign direct investment.
Rashid Al Saad
Qatar Development Bank
Pinsent Masons LLP
Qatar First Bank
College of the North Atlantic
Sidra Medical & Research Center
Milaha Qatar Navigation QSC
Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy
White & Case
Al Majed Group
University Foundation College
Commercial Bank of Qatar
Al Rabban Oil and Gas
Al Rayyan Gold Refinery
LLC Consortium Energoresurs
Assets Real Estate Development Co. WLL
Al Adwani Law Firm
Alshaya Co. WLL
Financial Associates International
Qatar Stars League Management
Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc.
Al Hitmi Property Development Co – Gulf Biotec
PSC Group Engineering Procurement & Construction
- Assisted Qatar’s Ministry of Finance with completing a series of bond issuances carrying values of $2bn, $4bn and $6bn, respectively.