The 'tenacious and thorough' team at Clifford Chance is well-established on the Polish market, handling high-value litigation in Poland, and acting as a base for cross-border disputes across the CEE region. The group is well-versed in arbitration and commercial litigation before courts at all levels, and in public procurement cases and matters involving criminal and regulatory liability. Co-heading the department are Bartosz Krużewski, who also jointly leads the firm's European dispute resolution practice, and is an experience commercial litigator and international arbitration counsel; and Marcin Ciemiński who leads on regulatory disputes and white-collar criminal defence. Counsel Michał Drwal is noted for his construction and infrastructure dispute practice, while fellow counsel Robert Moj has developed a strong construction and engineering disputes practice.
Dispute resolution in Poland
Bartosz Krużewski; Marcin Ciemiński
Other key lawyers:
Michał Drwal; Robert Moj; Paweł Pogorzelski; Adelina Prokop; Monika Diehl
‘ Clifford Chance Team in Poland is one of the most professional and qualified litigation teams I have worked with in many different jurisdiction and countries. They have work for us successfully in two super arbitration proceeding related to construction of power plants with high-value claims. They work very closely with the client and they adapt the work to client’
‘Tenacious, thorough and encyclopaedic knowledge of arbitral procedure and Polish securities law. ’
‘Bartosz Kruzewski is a smart, strategic, tenacious litigator.’
‘Adelina Prokop is a highly intelligent, thoughtful associate – and an excellent advocate.’
‘The team stands out in two ways. They are generally super-professional, pro-actively following up every relevant thread, and also suggesting clear priorities and what lanes we need to close. I’ve never felt the need to remind the team of anything, they keep the ball rolling and make sure we’ve covered the necessary legal angles. Obviously they also actively solicit our input where needed. It accumulates in the 2nd observation; they show a great deal of ownership to our case, genuinely acting as if it was their ‘own’ case and recommending actions with that perspective.’
‘Our case has been handled by Michal Drwal from the get-go. His involvement and ownership of the case has been fantastic. He very well oversees the legal and procedural framework and manages our expectations well. More importantly, he has drafted and run a clear legal strategy. He very clearly communicates and is super pro-active in following-up every relevant thread. He’s personally prepped me and others for testimony.
‘Good communication with client and willingness to try various methods to end litigation. Understanding of business. Proactiveness.’
‘Robert Moj – litigator with strategic approach’
Invenergy Renewables LLC
Royal Unibrew A/S
Mondelez Polska sp. z o.o.
Raiffeisen Bank International AG
HSBC Bank Polska S.A.
Polskie LNG S.A.
Manchester Securities Corporation
Abener Energia S.A.
Nova-Inwestycje sp. z o.o. SKA
- Representing Bank BPH in proceedings before the Court of Justice of the European Union in a case for a preliminary ruling referred by a Polish court concerning consumer mortgage loans indexed to CHF (C-19/20). This is the second Polish case before the Court of Justice of the European Union concerning foreign currency loans.
- Representing Raiffeisen in proceedings before the Polish Financial Supervision Authority (KNF) concerning the record high penalty of PLN 50 million (EUR 12 million) imposed in mid-September 2018 on Raiffeisen in its capacity as the depositary of four closed-end investment funds previously managed by the FinCrea Investment Fund Manager (FinCrea had its licence revoked by the KNF in November 2017) and then by W Investments.
- Representing Invenergy in widely publicised BIT arbitration against Poland, concerning Invenergy’s multi-million dollar investments in the Polish wind energy sector. Invenergy’s investment includes, among other things, over 10 wind farms and long-term contracts with State-controlled companies for the sale of electricity and green certificates (an instrument serving to support renewable energy sources).
The dispute resolution group at CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k. has a strong financial institution focus, as well as an active construction disputes practice. Other areas of expertise include contentious energy, aviation, life sciences, automotive and TMT issues. The team is often called on in arbitrations, where department head Małgorzata Surdek, who is a member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris, is a key name. Anna Cudna-Wagner is the name to note for banking disputes, while Arkadiusz Korzeniewski is a key name for white-collar criminal defence.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Cudna-Wagner; Arkadiusz Korzeniewski; Katarzyna Kucharczyk; Joanna Młot; Marcin Zbytniewski
‘Deeply involved and dedicated to the cases. Excellent procedural and infrastructural experts and very good negotiators. Very good value for money. Unique approach as for the feedback to the client.’
‘Marcin Zbytniewski, Adam Jodkowski – all are experts in the area of the civil procedure, very good contact with the client and focused on the client’s objectives.’
‘Apart from the strong knowledge and legal experience which is obvious, CMS’ team has strong communication skills enabling them to clearly explain the developments in the case and next planned steps as well as possible outcomes and chances.’
‘Mrs. Katarzyna Kucharczyk – excellent friendly cooperation backed up by professionalism, hard work and legal knowledge Mr. Mariusz Minkiewicz – diligent, meticulous and hard working as it seems almost 24/7’
‘The highest quality in Poland’
‘Malgorzata Surdek is a luminary, Katarzyna Kucharczyk is up and coming, very reliable.’
‘A well-oiled machine, superbly headed-up by the outstanding Malgosia Surdek. Their ability to crunch through masses of technical detail and from that to develop superb legal argument with flawless attention to detail is world class. ’
‘Malgosia Surdek is a superstar – both a brilliant lawyer and a fantastic strategist. She inspires and deserves the utmost confidence, delivering a superb game plan and is always on top of the issues, whatever they may be. She is a tough litigator and pursues her clients’ interests relentlessly whilst managing expectations wisely and sensibly. Malgosia is very ably assisted by a great team of associates – Aleksander Woźniak in particular is one to watch as an up-and-coming top litigator. Complementary to their clinical precision, fantastic productivity and drive to succeed, both Malgosia and Alex are tremendously personable. ’
‘The CMS team is every time focussed on the right strategy for the company. The team got quickly into the cases and acquired also an in-depth knowledge of the technical background of the cases to defend the company best. Every time with a hands-on mentality that fits the company.’
‘Malgorzata Surdek is an extremely professional and strategic business partner. Well connected in the legal industry and every time convincing in her standing towards clients, courts and other litigation parties.
‘Each team member is very professional and always well prepared in details even if those details are very unique and in most cases very technical and complicated. Team is also very oriented on deadlines prepares all requested documents on time, even if there are obstacles on client’s side.’
‘Malgorzata Surdek – very professional, thinking out of box, reads opponents’ positions and points, always brings good ideas and looks for efficient solutions‘
ALE Heavylift B.V. (Mammoet)
Arcadis Sp. z o.o.
AXA Life and AXA Non-Life
Bank Handlowy w Warszawie S.A. (Citibank Group)
Bank Ochrony Środowiska
BPH Bank (GE Group)
Eiffage Polska Budownictwo S.A.
mBank (Commerzbank Group)
Millennium Bank (BCP Group)
Mostostal Warszawa S.A. (Acciona Group)
PKO Bank (the biggest retailer’s bank in Poland)
Polskie Koleje Linowe (PKL)
Schuler Pressen and Schuler Poland (Schuler / Andritz Group)
Wallstein Rothemühle Sp. z o.o.
- Represents mBank in four cartel-related cases initiated by four different claimants which allege that banks and card organisations allegedly established a cartel setting the amount of fees charged for settlements with payment cards.
- Representing Schuler Poland and advising Schuler Pressen in a €30m cross-border multi-disciplinary litigation in the automotive industry regarding liability for damage resulting from the breakdown of a car press line installed in the Opel car manufacturing plant in south-western Poland.
- Representing Mostostal Warszawa in two proceedings related to the construction of a bio-mass energy plant in Elbląg and in two court disputes related to the construction of a waste incineration plant in Szczecin.
Dentons splits its team into distinct practice groups, with lawyers specialising in construction, infrastructure and real estate litigation; white-collar criminal defence; regulatory disputes; corporate disputes and; administrative disputes. The Warsaw office is also able to work closely with the firm's offices across the CEE region, and often coordinates cross-border litigation and arbitration matters. The practice group is led by Anna Maria Pukszto, who focuses on banking disputes and contentious insolvencies. Katarzyna Bilewska leads on corporate disputes, while Michał Jochemczak is in charge of the arbitration practice.
Anna Maria Pukszto
Other key lawyers:
Katarzyna Bilewska; Michał Jochemczak; Wojciech Kozłowski; Patrick Radzimierski; Agnieszka Wojciechowska
‘The most important thing is the business sense and the flexibility in cooperation with the client’
‘Good manners, competence, experience, expertise’
‘The key feature that makes Dentons team unique is an extremely pro client approach. Communication between a client and the team is a number 1 priority for Dentons.’
‘I have known the team since 2015. Their people combine legal expertise with exceptional understanding of business. I admire their strong expertise, quality of work and focus on finding unconventional, but efficient solutions. They are very responsive, which makes them stand out from the other law firms I know. I also appreciate their positive communication process, clear advice and ability to explain complex issues in a comprehensible manner. ’
‘Prof. Katarzyna Bilewska, the head of Corporate Disputes and the leader of the team, is a top expert in the disputes relating to shareholding. I also appreciate her responsiveness and proactive, client-centric approach.’
‘The Dentons team, which deals with our court case, does it very efficiently, using a great deal of legal knowledge and experience. The team is also very committed and the contact with them is at the highest ethical level. The team is headed by Katarzyna Bilewska, who, among others, due to her knowledge and professional experience, provides legal services at the highest level. All of the above circumstances make Dentons stand out from other law firms.’
‘The entire Dentons team with whom we work is distinguished from other lawyers by their professionalism, knowledge and professional experience. I especially distinguish Ms Katarzyna Bilewska, who is a partner at Dentons, is a very outstanding attorney, both in terms of content and form. Not only is she very involved in conducting the case, but also has extensive knowledge of substantive and procedural law and significant analytical skills. She is a person with a very high personal culture and interpersonal skills, which also makes her a great leader. Also, Mr. Wojciech Lysek, an attorney in the team dedicated to us, is a person with great interpersonal skills and extensive legal knowledge.’
Bank of America
Bank of China
Europol Meble Polska
Griffin Real Estate
Jiangsu Lantian Aerospace (Aero AT)
Marie Brizard Wine & Spirits Polska
Philips Medical Systems Nederland
Raiffeisen Bank International
Tarantoga Capital / Creative Development
White Star Real Estate
- Representing Saipem and Techint, forming the international consortium together with PBG, in a high-profile ICC arbitration against Polskie LNG, a state-owned company, concerning the construction of Poland’s first LNG regasification terminal.
- Representing financing banks and farm investors in a series of complex and precedential disputes with Energa-Obrót, concerning the validity of green certificates.
- Representing Raiffeisen Bank International AG as a defendant in two class-action lawsuits initiated by participants in two investment funds in respect of which the legal predecessor of Raiffeisen Bank International AG acted as the custodian and then as the liquidator, which is continued by Raiffeisen Bank International AG.
Clients praise lawyers at Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka for their 'comprehensive approach to disputes', with a practice encompassing contentious matters arising from the construction and infrastructure sector, TMT, trade, finance and real estate. The team also has significant investment arbitration experience, appearing before tribunals in Zurich, Brussels and Paris, as well as in domestic proceedings. The department is jointly led by Józef Palinka, who is active in construction and banking disputes; and litigator Paweł Lewandowski. Paweł Paradowski has a varied practice that includes business disputes, white-collar criminal defence and contentious company law issues.
Józef Palinka; Paweł Lewandowski
Other key lawyers:
Paweł Paradowski; Łukasz Wojdalski; Maciej Orkusz; Krzysztof Stecyk; Rafał Karbowniczek
‘Solid litigators. Comprehensive approach to disputes.’
Gulermak Agir Sanayi Instaat Ve Taahhut Anonim Sirketi A.S.
City of Wrocław
Polregio sp. z o.o. (formerly: Przewozy Regionalne sp. z o.o.)
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna S.A. / PGE Górnictwo i Energetyka S.A. (the biggest Polish energy supplier)
Opel Manufacturing Poland sp. z o.o. (part of PSA)
Thomas Beton sp. z o.o.
Mota-Engil Central Europe S.A.
ING Bank Śląski S.A.
- Representing an international construction company in a court dispute with the State Treasury – General Directorate of National Roads and Motorways over an extension to the deadline for completion of an expressway and payments for additional works.
- Representing one of the leading banks in Poland in a number of court disputes over currency options, derivatives and bank loans.
- Representing a leading construction company in a court dispute against the State Treasury – General Directorate of National Roads and Motorways over claims related to the construction of an expressway.
Linklaters has a strong pedigree in dispute resolution, utilising the firm's other practices to provide representation across a wide range of disputes. The firm specialises in high-stakes cases, representing corporates in bilateral investment treaty arbitrations, and bet-the-company corporate and commercial litigation. Leading the team is Cezary Wiśniewski, who is an experienced arbitration counsel. Zbigniew Kruczkowski is a commercial litigation expert, and is also regularly instructed in property and shareholder disputes, and unfair competition cases. Of counsel Tomasz Manicki focuses on issues relating to the liability of directors and managers, compliance projects, asset tracing and the recovery of the proceeds of crime.
Other key lawyers:
Zbigniew Kruczkowski; Tomasz Manicki; Marta Szrajer; Paweł Wysocki
Abris Capital Partners
Santander Bank Polska
DnB Nord Polska
Bank BGŻ BNP Paribas
- Represented Abris Capital Partners and PL Holdings in investment arbitration proceedings against the Republic of Poland, at the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce in a claim concerning the uncompensated expropriation of the client’s equity investment in FM Bank PBP, a Polish bank, in violation of the Luxembourg-Poland BIT.
- Represented PKP PLK, a subsidiary of the PKP Group responsible for the maintenance of Polish rail tracks, in a series of disputes relating to access to rail infrastructure in Poland, in particular in relation to compensatory claims against PKP PLK and the Polish State Treasury
- Obtained a favourable ruling for Orange Polska, the leading Polish telecoms company, in a precedent case against one of its main competitors – P4, before the Regional Court in Warsaw as the court of first instance.
Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak has a diverse dispute resolution department of 'enthusiastic lawyers' handling both litigation and arbitrations arising from industries including telecoms, construction, banking and retail. Team members are often instructed before the Supreme Court and the Polish regulators. Rafał Waszkiewicz leads the group, focusing on civil law proceedings and commercial arbitration. Dariusz Skuza, former department head, retains an active commercial litigation practice. Co-founding partner Stanisław Sołtysiński is a specialist in international arbitration; while Andrzej Szlęzak is another seasoned arbitration counsel.
Other key lawyers:
Dariusz Skuza; Stanisław Sołtysiński; Andrzej Szlęzak; Jacek Siński; Marcin Olechowski; Katarzyna Paczuska-Tokarska; Maciej Zwoliński; Anna Grzywczak-Kubiak
‘The preparation of the cases is of an amazing quality, when we collaborate with them on some legal issue, I always have the feeling that it could not have been done better.’
‘The team is very responsive and provides tailor-made advice on Polish law and the Polish law court system. They are very efficient and also cost-sensitive. ’
‘Enthusiastic lawyers, great industry knowledge, responsive, easy to work with, quality advice, innovative thinking and approach’
‘Strength in numbers.’
Polimex – Mostostal S.A.
Juvel Ltd and Bithell Holdings Ltd
Johann Bunte Bauunternehmung GmbH & Co. KG
Ventana Serra SpA
Salini Polska Sp. z o.o.
MasterCard Europe S.A.
Strabag Sp. z o.o.
Acciona/Mostostal Warszawa S.A.
Worley Nuclear Services JSC (jednoosobowa spółka akcyjna) Oddział w Polsce
Bouygues Travaux Publics
Corner Banca S.A.
Eurocash S.A. and subsidiaries
JMP S.A. and subsidiaries
Bank Millennium S.A.
Cyfrowy Polsat S.A.
Telewizja Polsat Sp. z o.o.
First Property Group plc
EPP Sp. z o.o.
Echo Investment S.A.
BSH Sprzęt Gospodarstwa Domowego sp. z o.o.
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Mobilis sp. zo.o.
- Represented MasterCard Europe in a number of follow on claims related to interchange fees, including a dispute with PKN Orlen.
- Representing Comarch in a dispute with the Polish Social Insurance Institution (ZUS) related to a large IT system in Poland; the case successfully settled.
- Representing WeBuild/Salini In large construction disputes related to the construction of express roads.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.
Commercial litigation and arbitration are core to the practice at Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k., which represents corporate and financial institutional clients in civil liability, unfair competition and consumer protection proceedings, as well as intellectual property disputes, areas where practice co-head Krystyna Szczepanowska-Kozłowska takes the lead. Bartosz Merczyński leads the insolvency and banking litigation practice, acting for the firm's high-profile banking clients. Intellectual property disputes are handled by Justyna Ostrowska, who has extensive expertise in unfair competition cases.
Krystyna Szczepanowska-Kozłowska; Bartosz Merczyński
Other key lawyers:
Justyna Ostrowska; Monika Murawska
Cemex Polska sp. z o.o.
- Defending a life insurance company in two high-stakes class actions involving more than 700 consumers.
- Representing BNP Paribas in a civil dispute against public entities.
- Representing Cemex Polska sp. z o.o. against claims for damages based on an infringement of competition law.
Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Sp.k.
Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa's team has a significant focus on litigation, acting in banking, insurance and infrastructure disputes, and handling white-collar criminal defence matters. The financial markets are a core area for the group, which represents major Polish and foreign banks in regulatory and corporate disputes, as well as group actions and government investigations. Practice head Łukasz Hejmej is a commercial disputes expert regularly instructed on litigation and arbitration. Sebastian Pabian is the key name for financial services sector litigation, particularly where there are regulatory issues. Paweł Samborski focuses on construction and infrastructure disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Sebastian Pabian; Paweł Samborski; Sylwia Piotrowska
‘The partners I worked with (Lukasz Hejmej, Paweł Samborski) seem to be very hands-on to me and stand out in putting themselves in their clients shoes.’
‘What I value the most in Baker McKenzie is a very good cooperation and atmosphere during the projects, honesty in communication, respect with regard to our work, and that there is a “one team” experience while working with them, i.e. seamless integration with the firm’s lawyers while working towards the goal.’
‘Strong experience and practice at court matching at the same time broad and perfect knowledge of law.’
‘In depth understanding of customers’ needs supported by strong experience and outstanding performance at court.’
CSC Computer Sciences Polska
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Polska sp. zo.o.
Berlin Chemie AG
Tecnimont SpA and TCM FR
GD Gradezno Drustvo
- Representing five major Polish banks in a series of disputes regarding mortgage loans indexed to Swiss Franc or other foreign currencies (currently in over 3300 proceedings). Also advising the banks on macro-level strategy regarding management of those disputes and their aftermath.
- Representing Berlin-Chemie AG, a German pharmaceutical company from the Menarini Group, before the Polish Supreme Court in a case against Forfarm, a Polish company, concerning the parallel import of medicine within the EU.
- Representing a leading global EPC contractor, Tecnimont Sp.A and its subsidiary, TCM FR SA, in a court proceeding against PGNiG SA, a Polish incumbent gas company.
DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k's dispute resolution department is most known for representing clients in international litigation and arbitration proceedings. The core practice spans white-collar criminal defence, construction, public procurement and financial litigation, but the group also has experience in EU and human rights litigation. Jointly leading the team are Maciej Jamka, who has experience in investment treaty arbitration and construction disputes, and infrastructure dispute expert Rafał Morek. Counsel Ewelina Wętrys is developing a strong reputation for commercial disputes and international treaty arbitrations.
Maciej Jamka; Rafał Morek
Other key lawyers:
Piotr Kunicki; Ewelina Wętrys; Maciej Antoniak; Elżbieta Buczkowska
‘From DWF’s Dispute Resolution team I have worked in one of ICC international arbitration cases with their counsel, Ewelina Wetrys who I strongly recommend.’
‘Ewelina Wetrys is a talented attorney whose legal advice is of excellent quality. You can absolutely trust her expertise and judgment. She is a top specialist in arbitration cases and a perfect choice for any cross-jurisdictional matters. When dealing with complex cases she has a practical approach, is dedicated, creative and efficient. I am impressed by her profound understanding and expertise in commercial arbitration.’
‘Really professional team with a lot of knowledge in the field of litigation, infrastructure, construction, and company law They provide efficient solutions and strong alternatives to every tough situation a company might face during the whole dispute proceedings stage. Besides, I appreciate that they provide brilliant strategy suggestions during pre-litigation stage and help to reinforce legal grounds of client both prior and during litigation stage.’
‘It is no doubt that Ewelina Wetrys is a savvy and smart lawyer – a top-notch choice for international arbitration and litigation cases. She has an excellent legal judgement and great analytical skills. Her business-wise perspective, attention to detail, ability to see the big picture and industry knowledge is also among her strongest features. I value how quickly she grasps complex technical issues and the forceful arguments and creative strategies she comes up with. Her pleadings are clear, persuading, concise and effective. You can see heart and passion for what she does professionally.’
‘Ewelina’s organisational, management and inter-personal skills are also exceptional. She perfectly coordinates work with external international barristers, advisers and experts.’
‘The listening and understanding capabilities of the team, as well as its consistency in terms of organization, strategy and advice are particularly noticeable. The team demonstrates complete humility and through this attitude is able to obtain total trust from the client, which is key to work hand in hand. This adds to full professionalism and expertise in what they do (dispute resolution).’
‘Maciej Jamka is particularly and personally involved in all aspects of the works, while having total trust, respect and share of works with its team. He is the kind of person, who you want to work with, as he manages to be at the same time excellent in its general practice and very humble and sincerely attentive to your situation and concerns while remaining persuasive and firm when need be.’
‘The team with a very big experience on several fields of legal activity, especially in construction contracts litigation. A very good knowledge of the current changes in conditions of construction contracts, a very good interpretation of FIDIC and application to current problems in executed contracts. Capability to structure the process and describe the targets as well as way of accesses. Able to build several scenarios and describe a critical path for the problem. In comparison to other firms they have capability to work on day to day basis with the teams of their clients and to focus on the most important issues in a short time. Very good communication skills and clear structure of recommendation.’
‘The team is very hardworking, and with a lot of experience in the construction sector. They are always proposing ideas and presenting possible scenarios and risks in order to find the best solution and take the best decision for our interests.’
‘Elzbieta Buczkowska is a very reliable person, always with a good and reassuring attitude. She is very professional, she listens to you very carefully by paying close attention to every detail. She gives you a lot of recommendations and she is always willing to help and find the best outcome. Also Mr. Rafal Morek, he is also very professional and resourceful.’
‘Extensive knowledge and solid experience, professional approach to clients.’
‘Extensive knowledge and experience, the ability to flexibly approach the matter and deal with a crisis situation.’
‘High level of quality in providing legal advice, high engagement in client’s cases, availability, taking care of all details relevant for the case, business approach.’
Polski Koncern Naftowy Orlen S.A.
Enter Air Sp. z o.o.
Orange Polska S.A.
Orlen Koltrans S.A.
Grupa Azoty Police S.A.
Huta Zabrze S.A.
MSF Engenharia S.A.
Construcciones Rubau S.A., Rubau Polska sp. z o.o.
- Represented Przedsiębiorstwo Usług Technicznych Intercor Sp. z o.o. in PLN4.5 million litigation against PKP PLK S.A., a state-owned company responsible for railway development, regarding the construction of part of the Rail Baltica railway.
- Represented Orange Polska S.A. with respect to the multi-fold contractual arrangements with two public employers.
- Represented Orlen Koltrans, a leading Polish rail carrier, in court proceedings against the biggest rail infrastructure administrator in Poland and another rail carrier related to damages stemming from the train crash in Białystok.
Greenberg Traurig Grzesiak sp. k.'s litigation and arbitration team is able to leverage the firm's impressive M&A and real estate teams, to handle a wide variety of disputes. International arbitration is a core competency for the team, and individuals have participated in proceedings across Europe and in the US. The team itself has developed a number of specialisms, with advocates focusing on banking, corporate, private equity, bankruptcy, labour law and tax disputes. Paweł Pietkeiwicz heads the department and has acted both as an arbitrator in Polish and international arbitration courts, and as counsel. Andrzej Wysokiński is an expert in commercial and securities cases; Robert Lis is a key name for contentious corporate and IP matters; and Paweł Tatarczak is highly experienced in international corporate litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Andrzej Wysokiński; Robert Lis; Paweł Tatarczak; Antoni Libiszowski
Rockcastle Global Real Estate Holdings B.V. and Serenada Property Sp. z o.o.
Stocznia Cesarska Development Sp. z o.o.
Imperial Tobacco Polska S.A.
Property Finance Sweden A.B.
CEDC International sp. z o.o.
CI Games S.A.
- Representing mBank S.A. in one of the very first consumer class actions in Poland arising out of foreign currency denominated mortgage loans.
- Representing one of the leading Polish banks in a series of court proceedings against both the General Director for National Roads and Motorways (GDDKiA) and a former consortium (PBG, SIAC, Hydrobudowa and Aprivia) created to construct the A-4 motorway in Poland.
- Representing PZU, the largest Polish insurance company, in proceedings related to the claims of minority shareholders – Manchester Securities and Wspólna Reprezentacja S.A. – in connection with the 2007 and 2012 shareholders AGM resolutions relating to compensation for the alleged non-payment of a dividend in 2007.
Although construction and real estate disputes are the mainstay of the team at JDP Drapała & Partners, the group is increasingly instructed on financial and shareholder disputes. In practice co-head and founding partner Przemysław Drapała ('able to create unconventional solutions that perfectly fit to the case'), the group has a veteran arbitrator who has a strong track record in construction and infrastructure-related cases. Litigator Andrzej Sokołowski leads the team alongside Drapała, with experience in white-collar criminal defence. Promoted to counsel in 2020, Jakub Majewski has been responsible for building the corporate disputes practice, receiving praise from clients as 'always well prepared for talks and very involved in his work'.
Przemysław Drapała; Andrzej Sokołowski
Other key lawyers:
Wojciech Bazan; Jakub Majewski
‘Professor Przemysław Drapała has experience in leading big-ticket commercial litigation. Thanks to his experience and broad knowledge, he is able to craft legal strategies adjusted to a given problem. International companies need such tough litigators from Polish market in order to conduct court proceedings against state entities.’
‘Wojciech Bazan: During the 3 years we have worked together he proved to be a go-to-guy for me, my colleagues and even management of my firm. Always on the first front line, ready to help us with namely everything needing legal assistance, even if JDP are not in charge of a given case. ’
‘JDP Drapala & Partners is a law firm with extensive experience in litigation, especially in the field of interest to our company. The firm has a very well-organised work process, which allows them to quickly analyse even extensive evidence and react quickly.’
‘We appreciate the cooperation with Jakub Majewski. Mr. Majewski is always well prepared for talks and very involved in his work. We believe he is a lawyer who likes the profession very much.’
‘The firm has a very in-depth knowledge of the relevant legislation ’
‘JDP is a law firm that is able to establish and recommend unconventional solutions. The team managed to coordinate multiple independent court proceedings including enforcement ones and the ones that cover white collar crimes issues. They also provided strategic advice and negotiated on our behalf with the debtor. Finally JDP team prepared the settlement, on the basis of which the debtor satisfied our claims without the risk of withdrawal. During all these actions JDP Team presented incredible business approach.’
‘Przemysław Drapała was a team leader and head of the whole operation. Definitely he is able to create unconventional solutions that perfectly fit to the case. His experience, knowledge of the various areas of law, bright ideas, legal skills and business approach led us to the desired outcome of the case. Fully deserves his opinion as one of the best on the market. ’
‘The team is always super organized, professional, helping, solving problems, flexible, the one every company would imagine to cooperate, with success.’
‘Mr Professor Przemysław Drapała is a person with exceptional charisma, a very valuable feature in the legal environment; he builds his authority not only on comprehensive knowledge; he has the ability to interest the listener in the content of his speech but also has the ability to listen in depth. The unique personal culture and erudition combined with substantive knowledge make your professor a person who gives the client a sense and guarantee of security in complex legal disputes.’
‘Knowledge, experience, quick accurate and honest advice and guidance is always provided’
‘JDP are always available regardless of the issue, its significance or whether it is just a simple issue. Mr Bazan in particular is extremely knowledgeable, dedicated and always professional’
Przedsiębiorstwo Usług Technicznych Intercor sp. z o.o.
Impressa Pizzarotti & C. S.p.A.
Bilfinger Engineering & Technologies GmbH
Babcock Borsig Steinmuller GmbH
Bilfinger Piping Technologies GmbH
Bilfinger MCE Berlin GmbH
Babcock Noell GmbH
Astaldi S.p.A. (Italy)
Mostostal Warszawa S.A.
Eiffage Polska Budownictwo S.A.
Pojazdy Szynowe PESA Bydgoszcz S.A.
- Acting for Impresa Pizzarotti & C in a dispute regarding terminated contracts.
- Acting for an international automotive manufacturer in a case concerning the recovery of damages from ex-members of the management board for “VAT carousel” fraud.
- Acting for Mosty Łódź in a case concerning a formula to assert claims for additional payments in excess of the contractual fixed remuneration if the methodology of the works performance specified in the bid must be changed.
Clients feel they 'are in the best of hands' with the team at Laszczuk & Partners; a firm entirely dedicated to dispute resolution. Arbitration is a core areas of expertise, given the focus of founding partner Maciej Łaszczuk ('much respected in the Polish arbitration community'), who is a veteran of domestic and international proceedings. 'Hands-on, steady and has a good practical sense', Justyna Szpara is the other practice head and has experience of arbitration, commercial litigation and post-arbitration litigation. Marek Korcz is the key contact for judicial and administrative proceedings, while Jan Rysiński's practice extends to criminal law.
Justyna Szpara; Maciej Łaszczuk
Other key lawyers:
Marek Korcz; Jan Rysiński; Andrzej Maciejewski; Krzysztof Riedl
‘They respond promptly and provide a thorough advice. Moreover, they are experienced in international arbitration and provide a valuable insight in that respect. ’
‘Justyna Szpara and Jan Rysiński are very experienced lawyers, open to discussion, always ready to help and provide a creative solution.‘
‘Experience in conflict resolution’
‘Justyna Szpara and Jan Rysinski: Rich experience and creativity. Good overall advice and personal involvement in solving the problem.’
‘Maciej Lasczczuk is much respected in the Polish arbitration community and knows everyone. Justyna Szpara is hands-on, steady and has a good practical sense, which makes her very reassuring to work with. ’
‘Absolutely dedicated to the case at hand. Were capable of allocating considerable resources at a very short notice at the same time as we – as clients – felt that everything was under control. Of course it helped that the team has been working for us in a number of other cases and have spent the time necessary to get to know our business. We are in the best of hands with these people!’
Safran Vectronix AG
Deutsche Lufthansa AG
VKR Holding / VELUX
Warsaw’s Holy Trinity Lutheran Parish
Mostostal Puławy S.A.
Bank Ochrony Środowiska S.A
- Represented FoodCare in a proceeding on recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards against Cargill and obtained an annulment of the enforcement decision by the Supreme Court.
- Representing Deutsche Lufthansa on a regular basis in cases concerning passenger rights.
- Representing the sellers in a high-value dispute concerning post-closing settlements of a major M&A transaction.
RöHRENSCHEF is a specialist disputes firm, with a strong offering across the contentious construction, restructuring, IP and insurance areas. In a key victory for the firm, co-founding partner and practice head Marcin Radwan-Röhrenschef successfully defended Volkswagen against a group action brought in the Polish courts claiming compensation following the client's involvement in the emissions scandal. Co-founder Katarzyna Petruczenko specialises in commercial disputes, representing foreign insurance firms in claims brought by Polish insured parties. Justyna Tokarzewska focuses on contractual disputes and white-collar criminal defence in the banking sector.
Other key lawyers:
Katarzyna Petruczenko; Justyna Tokarzewska; Marina Skarbek-Kozietulska; Anna Leszczyńska-Filipowicz
‘Katarzyna Petruczenko is an excellent lawyer in the field of dispute resolution and cross-border matters.’
Dual Corporate Risks Limited
BHM Group a.s.
Amada Weld Tech
- Represented VW AG against a group action brought in the Polish courts by Diesel car owners requesting compensation for the software modifying the NOx emission tests.
- Representing Dual Corporate Risks in D&O policy cases concerning the issue of coverage confirmation and assessment of potential liability of the members of the management boards of Polish companies.
- Representing Erbud in a dispute over payment for work performed during the construction of the domExpo centre in Opole and the fraudulent transfer of assets to avoid recovery of any award in the client’s favour.
Wardynski & Partners
Wardynski & Partners' team is spread across the firm's Warsaw, Kraków and Poznań offices, bringing together expertise in private client, tax, administrative and criminal law, as well as expertise in banking and securities disputes, competition law issues and IP. The mainstay of the practice is infrastructure and construction disputes, but lawyers also handle disputes involving human rights issues. In the Warsaw office, key practitioners are founding partner Tomasz Wardyński, Jan Ciećwierz, Monika Hartung and Stanisław Drozd; Paweł Mazur leads in Kraków; and Marcin Lemkowski is the department head in Poznań.
Other key lawyers:
Tomasz Wardyński; Jan Ciećwierz; Monika Hartung; Paweł Mazur; Marcin Lemkowski; Stanisław Drozd; Łukasz Lasek
‘The lawyers of the law firm attach great importance to quick understanding of our expectations, which allows us to work together to develop the best strategy in individual cases, combining our knowledge about the specificity of our bank’s business as well as the experience and substantive knowledge of the law firm team.’
‘We work mainly with Monika Hartung, partner and Sabina Famirska, senior associate. We appreciate their knowledge, many years of experience and the unambiguity of the submitted conclusions. Monika Hartung’s experience means that she assesses the situation quickly and accurately, which allows for the efficient preparation of the strategy. Monika and Sabina are undoubtedly distinguished by their knowledge, experience and business approach to the client.’
‘Wardynski’s Dispute Resolution team is well known for its capability to handle different matters in various litigation areas.’
‘I know Pawel Mazur – an excellent lawyer with a deep expertise in project finance, corporate and civil disputes.’
‘The team makes effort to work out the best solution for client, even if it is not obvious from the legal perspective. They understand client’s needs and work hard to meet them. They are ready to suggest and take innovative approaches.’
‘Excellence in understanding of the local law. Quick response. In almost all cases, just one day or couple of days for waiting. Proactive in handling negotiations by protecting the client’s key interest. Always available.’
‘A well-coordinated team, divided according to competence, while ensuring a complete, consistent final product of the work.’
‘Knowledge, experience. Balanced judgement.’
‘Great legal skills and a good commercial approach makes the team professional and efficient on cases.’
Wyborowa (Pernod Ricard Group)
Systra S.A., Systra-Sotecni S.p.A.
Ghelamco Poland (Ghelamco group)
AV Hallera sp. z o.o.
Marsulex Environmental Technology
Karmar (Bouygues Immobilier Group)
Mostostal (Acciona Group)
Społeczna Inicjatywa Narkopolityki (NGO, Social Drug Policy Initiative)
ELAVON FINANCIAL SERVICES
Arcelor Mittal Poland
CRH – cement ożarów s.a.
- Represented Arcelor-Mittal-Poland & Arcelor-Mittal-Ringmillin in a dispute with a Cypriot company managing a company producing components.
- Represented Mostostalin in proceedings against a Polish city for payment of general and indirect costs incurred by the clients because of delays in construction.
- Represent Karmar in one matter in which claims exceeding €18m have been raised against Karmar in connection with ongoing construction projects.
WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr is most active in the field of construction- and infrastructure-related disputes. Other areas of expertise include commercial, corporate, competition and banking disputes, as well as contentious matters relating to IP, insurance and employment. The group is led by Bartłomiej Jankowski, who has experience before the Polish courts at all levels and in international arbitration proceedings. Tomasz Kwieciński is core to the team, representing a variety of construction and insurance companies.
Other key lawyers:
Tomasz Kwieciński; Jordan Zafirow; Natalia Kabacińska
‘They were able to analyse our cases, identify potential strengths and weaknesses and craft legal strategies in a short time.’
‘Counsel Jordan Zafirow is a person I directly worked with. He impressed me with his ability to draw correct conclusions, -flexibility, openness, individually tailored approach to each matter/case, -professional attitude creating trustworthiness, -kind person and a good listener, -instant response.’
Raiffeisen Bank Polska
DNB Bank Polska
BNP Paribas Bank Polska
Polska Grupa Energetyczna
Bilfinger Tebodin Poland
Miejskie Wodociągi i Kanalizacja w Bydgoszczy sp. z o.o.
Bank Polska Kasa Opieki S.A.
Solari di Udine
Zakład Unieszkodliwiania Odpadów
PKO Bank Polski S.A.
Gmina Miasto Szczecin
CEMEX Polska Sp. z o.o.
GE Power Sp. z o.o.
- Successfully representing defendants (wind farms and banks) in five proceedings which are key for the future of the renewable energy market in Poland.
- Representing the defendants (major financial and construction companies) in four high-value proceedings being among the first competition damages actions based on a new Polish law implementing the EU Competition Damages Directive (so-called private enforcement proceedings).
- Acting for PORR S.A. and Salini Polska (WeBuild Grup), major construction companies, in three disputes concerning price adjustment claims of total amount ca. EUR 20 mln and further proceedings with regard to claims exceeding EUR 50 mln;
Bird & Bird Szepietowski i wspólnicy sp. k.'s 'strong pro-active and pro-client attitude, business-orientated thinking, prioritisation of tasks, understanding of business needs and negotiation skills' are all valued by clients of the dispute resolution team. The group is most known for commercial and regulatory disputes, areas that practice co-head Adam Kowalczyk and counsel Bartłomiej Niewczas excel in. Senior associate Grzegorz Kostrzewa is also noted for regulatory disputes with the Polish authorities and has vast experience in administrative proceedings.
Adam Kowalczyk; Bartłomiej Niewczas
Other key lawyers:
Grzegorz Kostrzewa; Dominik Hincz; Katarzyna Czech
‘Bartlomiej Niewczas is reliable and attentive to detail. He stands out for his experience in construction matters.’
‘Strong pro-active and pro-client attitude, business orientated thinking, prioritisation of tasks, understanding of business needs, negotiation skills.’
‘Mix of experience and energy. Excellent availability and very good and clear communication. Very good cooperation with our team. ’
‘Very good and communicative team , excellent writing skills. Documents prepared by the team are very good and clear. ’
‘Working with this particular dispute resolution team is always a positive experience. They are constantly well prepared, and have clearly set objectives in every case I come to them with. They search for the most effective ways to secure our interests, either by winning or settling the case. I also want to recommend the team for their availability ’
‘Dominik Hincz is a lawyer I know I can always depend on. His legal knowledge, professionalism and drive are what make him the outstanding lawyer that he is. Dominik is always quick to identify the best solutions and react accordingly. His answers to my questions and requests are swift, clear and well-thought through, and the quality of legal products he delivers is impressively high.’
‘Bartłomiej Niewczas provides us with remarkable experience in the field of commercial litigation and arbitration. His extensive knowledge allows him to develop the most effective strategies, carry out accurate assessments of chances and risks, as well as propose proper recommendations on relevant issues, such as appointment of arbitrators or settlement negotiations.‘
Banque Internationale De Commerce SA
De Agostini Polska Sp. z o.o.
- Representing Banque Internationale De Commerce in pre-trial injunction proceedings (towards a Polish debtor) which is part of a multi-jurisdictional multiparty commercial dispute.
- Representing De Agostini Polska regarding business in the Czech Republic and the termination of a contract with a local distributor.
- Acted for Skanska in the assessment of a claim against the architect of a highway project in Poland.
DLA Piper's disputes practice spans court litigation, arbitration and criminal proceedings, where the firm particularly benefits from expertise in the energy, infrastructure and real estate industries. The team is led by co-managing partner Krzysztof Kycia, whose regulatory practice sits alongside his litigation and arbitration specialisms. Counsel Piotr Olkowski is another name to note and has a strong grounding in commercial litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Piotr Olkowski; Mikołaj Strojnowski; Piotr Witecki; Monika Leszko; Anna Kopania
‘The team is very knowledgeable and thinks strategically – they don’t just tell us what the law is, they consider the commercial impacts of decisions. ’
‘Piotr Olkowski is excellent – he is assisting us in relation to a dispute. His advice is always prompt and strategic.’
‘Very experienced team, working smoothly hand in hand across all divisions’
‘Anna Kopania (extremely diligent litigator, nothing will get lost if you have her on board)’
‘The team is impressively experienced in dispute resolution and public affairs matters especially in the healthcare and life sciences sector. They navigate with ease in the public policy environment. I really like to work with them.’
Bank Ochrony Środowiska
Enterprise Investors (Wento)
Pomorskie Przedsiębiorstwo Mechaniczno-Torowe
Stanley Black & Decker
Qubus Hotel Management
- Representing Trakcja in a dispute initiated against it and its consortium partner by a subcontractor, relating to the design and build of an expressway.
- Represented METRO Properties in litigation regarding the eviction of nine DIY stores operated by an entity undergoing restructuring.
- Successfully represented Qubus Hotel Management in a case regarding loss caused by an unlawful administrative decision by the City of Warsaw.
Eversheds Sutherland Poland has particular experience in disputes arising from the aviation, real estate, infrastructure, energy and technology sectors, in addition to handling unfair competition litigation. The disputes team is also regularly called on for its insolvency and bankruptcy law expertise. Heading the department is Maciej Jóźwiak, who has experience in litigation up to the Polish Supreme Court, as well as in arbitration. Krzysztof Wierzbowski is an experienced litigator, often acting for foreign investors in disputes with local entities. Anna Kasnowska-Lisowska has developed a solid unfair competition practice.
Other key lawyers:
Krzysztof Wierzbowski; Anna Kasnowska-Lisowska; Michał Miąskiewicz
‘The team combines extensive experience with very practical advice and top quality service. I have worked with the team for a few years now and have always valued their counselling, in particular as regards responsiveness and pro-active approach. The team works very good under pressure which is absolutely essential when it comes to choosing court practitioners.’
State Treasury of the Republic of Poland – General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways
IKO Sportartikel Handels GmbH
Railtrans Wagons s.r.
International Air Transport Association
MOL Group (Slovnaft a.s)
Avis Budget Group
Master Management Group (HBK)
Polskie Sieci Energetyczne (PSE)
IPOPEMA TFI S.A.
Parker Hannifin Sales CEE
Allport Cargo Services Poland
- Represent low-cost airline Ryanair in over 2,000 ongoing cases arising from passenger claims based on the Flight Compensation Regulation (EC 261/2004).
- Acting for PSE, operator of the power transmission system in Poland, in two administrative disputes regarding the removal of trees on a plot of land used for infrastructure of high-voltage power lines.
- Representing Parker Hannifin in several debt collection cases, several of which are also connected to restructuring aspects as well as debt collection on the basis of third-party insolvency.
GESSEL Attorneys at Law
GESSEL Attorneys at Law has two dispute resolution teams handling litigation and arbitration respectively. The arbitration group is led by founding partner Beata Gessel-Kalinowska vel Kalisz, who is well known for her experience and expertise in the area. Piotr Schramm leads the litigation team, with additional expertise in wider risk management. The firm is often involved in pro bono litigation, with Schramm successfully representing campaigner Władysław Frasyniuk in criminal proceedings following his participation in anti-government protests in 2017.
Piotr Schramm; Beata Gessel-Kalinowska vel Kalisz
Other key lawyers:
Marcin Robenek; Paweł Kwiatkowski; Joanna Kisielińska-Garncarek; Marcin Macieszczak
‘The first time in my whole career I had a possibility to cooperate with such a strong team of extremely good people that are perfectly connected as one team.’
‘Its not only a standard law firm. It’s a team of great advisors, who are thinking much beyond than competitors.’
‘In addition to being an impressive all-round commercial lawyer who has founded and built one of Poland’s leading law firms, Beata Gessel is one of Europe’s most outstanding arbitration specialists. She has an impressive practice as counsel in complex cross-border arbitrations and also regularly sits as arbitrator.’
‘Reputation and exceptional experience of the firm in M&A dispute resolution, civil proceedings and commercial negotiations. Exceptional understanding of both economic and legal aspects of the case. High-quality deliverables always provided on time. ’
‘Paweł Kwiatkowski is a brilliant litigation lawyer and a skilled negotiator. He has an excellent understanding of business needs of the client and communicates clearly even in a very complex matters, both in terms of legal and commercial issues. He is very detail-oriented, however it does not inhibit his ability to see the big picture. Always on time, always tactful and always perfectly prepared.‘
‘Marcin Macieszczak – vast experience, superb strategist and brilliant problem-solver.’
‘The lawyers managing disputes on behalf of the company propose creative solutions to the legal problems ’
‘Gessel have unique experience in international arbitration and M&A transactions on the Polish market.’
‘Beata Gessel is one of the most experienced litigation lawyers in Poland, with extensive knowledge of arbitration.’
TM.E. S.p.A – Termomeccanica Ecologia
Csenki Company Limited
the Millennium Group company
BNP Paribas Bank Polska S.A.
Resource Partners Sp. z o.o.
Pivovary Lobkowicz Group
Lotte Wedel Sp. z o.o.
RESOURCE PARTNERS HOLDINGS III S.À R.L.
- Represented Władysław Frasyniuk in a series of criminal proceedings initiated against him consequent to his participation in anti-government street protests in 2017.
- Represented Arcus in four cases against Energa Operator.
Gide Loyrette Nouel's litigation and arbitration practice represents clients, including state-owned companies and government entities, in domestic and international matters, in addition to Polish administrative proceedings. Lawyers have experience before the Supreme Court and Supreme Administrative Court. Areas of focus span commercial law, real estate, intellectual and industrial property, unfair competition, employment litigation and criminal proceedings. The team is led by Piotr Sadownik, who is known for his energy and infrastructure disputes work. Counsel Krzysztof Ciepliński is a commercial disputes expert.
Other key lawyers:
Krzysztof Ciepliński; Michał Kacperczyk
W.P.C. sp. z o.o.
Mr Rafał Sonik
Telewizja Polska S.A.
Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego
Alior Bank S.A.
Alior Leasing sp. z o.o.
BNP Paribas Bank Polska S.A.
Bank Polska Kasa Opieki S.A.
- Representing the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways in connection with the Italian and Bulgarian law issues of the client’s contractual relationships with Toto and Vianni following delays in the construction of the S-5 expressway.
- Successfully represented mBank before the Competition and Consumer Protection authorities in two proceedings concerning the allegedly abusive nature of clauses in certain contract templates used in relation to customers.
- Represented PGNiG in a series of disputes brought by and against the client in relation to the PMG Wierzchowice gas storage facility.
At Hogan Lovells (Warszawa) LLP, the disputes practice handles the spectrum of corporate and commercial litigation and arbitration, predominantly for the firm's international clients. Particular areas of focus are infrastructure disputes, product liability cases, as well as criminal litigation. Lawyers also spend a substantial amount of time on contractual and shareholders' disputes. Counsel Wojciech Marchwicki heads the department together with experienced litigator Marek Wroniak. Senior associate Przemysław Tacij has increasing experience in arguing cases before the Supreme Court.
Marek Wroniak; Wojciech Marchwicki
Other key lawyers:
‘The assigned lawyers understood very well and in a very short time the complexity of the case.’
‘Their performance as well as their engagement were outstanding. The documentation were always ready and delivered in time according to the agreed time schedule.’
‘Very professional and experienced team, specially in litigation procedures.’
‘Wojciech Marchwicki is a very professional, experienced lawyer in litigation procedures.’
‘Very strong and powerful team, having your back, always.’
‘Wojciech Marchwicki is probably one of the best for high-end and complex litigation in Poland’
‘Worked on a complex dispute with the team which was handled well.’
‘Wojciech Marchwicki worked hard and communicated clearly and most importantly got a positive outcome for us.’
‘Hogan Lovells is a market leader on Polish market for dispute resolution. Their staff are highly skilled, billing is always on time and estimated correctly. We highly appreciate that the associates remind us of any necessary course of action to be taken in a timely manner.’
‘High quality service, expertise of many teams from different fields, understanding of the client’s work and organization. Customer-oriented attitude. ’
‘The strength we notice as a client is their ability to respond quickly on complex international, multi-country issues. In our case there were claims and counter claims involving 4 companies in 4 different countries each with its own contractual difficulties. All were related and simultaneously disputed. This is not always the case even with large legal entities.’
CACI Life and CACI Non-Life
- Successfully represented Fundacja Malta in a dispute regarding financial support from the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage for the organisation of a theatre festival, ensuring the ministry fulfilled its contractual obligations.
- Representing Guivisa in a dispute arising from a construction contract for a sports infrastructure project.
- Representing mBank and BNP Paribas in appellate proceedings against a decision by the Competition and Consumer Protection authorities concerning alleged infringements of EU and Polish law.
The team at Kochanski & Partners takes a sectoral approach to litigation and arbitration that spans energy, infrastructure, real estate, media, technology and finance. The overall practice is led by Marek Jezewski, who specialises in international disputes, including investment and commercial arbitration. Commercial disputes are the forte of Michal König; Mateusz Ostrowski is the name to note for civil litigation; and Agnieszka Chajewska takes the lead on media-related disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Michał König; Mateusz Ostrowski; Agnieszka Chajewska; Magdalena Papiernik; Dominika Durchowska
‘Practical, open to ideas, available, building strong personal relations with clients.’
‘Great contact, very proactive, great personal relation, no formal “corporate” style, rather direct personal and very natural cooperation.’
‘Marek Jezewski gives timely and strategic advice.’
‘The Kochanski team brings a depth of understanding and experience in BIT disputes which is unusual outside the biggest arbitration centres. They are smart, focused, and hard-working as well, and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Marek Jezewski is the lead partner on BIT disputes and is very strong.’
Forteam Investment Ltd.
Honwood Services Ltd.
Ringier Axel Springer Polska
LOT Polish Airlines
Bank Millennium S.A.
Bank PKO BP
Zotobi Management Limited
Polish Agricultural Publishing Company
- Representing Muszynianka in a landmark investment dispute with the Slovak Republic under the Bilateral Investment Treaty between Poland and Slovakia of 1994.
- Representing Forteam Investment in a dispute concerning an investment made in a leading retail-chain company, as well as advising on obtaining third-party funding from an American fund.
- Representing Ringier Axel Springer Poland in numerous litigation cases, including trade mark and domain name disputes, and landmark cases.
With a team that carried over from Weil Gotshall & Manges after it left the Warsaw market in January 2020, Rymarz Zdort's dispute resolution department is experienced in domestic and cross-border commercial litigation, as well as administrative and regulatory cases. The group is active in construction disputes, as well as disputes arising from post M&A issues and civil agreements. The team is led by Andrzej Miklas and includes criminal defence lawyer Karina Aust-Niewiadomska, arbitration specialist Krzysztof Sajchta and the 'outstanding' Lukasz Zak, who is a litigation generalist.
Other key lawyers:
Karina Aust-Niewiadomska; Krzysztof Sajchta; Lukasz Zak; Kamil Kozlowski
‘Very professional, detailed analysis of all (not only pure legal) aspects of the case.’
‘Lukasz Zak is outstanding, flexible availability, “global” case understanding and personal approach’
‘Kamil Kozlowski has shown a unique pro-client approach during the time he assisted us with an investment process. He has shown a deep understanding of our business and impressed the board with problem solving skills.’
Bank Millennium S.A.
Casus Finance Limited
Mediafinancial sp. z o.o.
PGE Gornictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna S.A.
Polenergia Obrot S.A., Polenergia Uslugi sp. z o.o., Certyfikaty sp. z o.o.
Polskie Gornictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo S.A.
- Representend PGNiG S.A. in proceedings before an ad hoc arbitral tribunal under UNICTRAL Arbitration Rules of 1976 regarding the revision of the contract price for gas supplied to Poland under the Yamal Contract.
- Representing three companies from the Polenergia group (the largest private energy group in Poland) in court proceedings regarding a claim for payment of over PLN27m filed by Eolos Polska.
- Advising and representing PGE Gornictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna in connection with a construction dispute with Bilfinger Engineering & Technologies GmbH and PORR S.A.
White & Case M. Studniarek i Wspólnicy - Kancelaria Prawna sp.k.'s commercial litigation, international arbitration and white-collar department is well integrated into the firm's international office network, allowing it to handle the Polish aspects of cross-border litigation. The group is notable for its experience before domestic and international arbitration institutions. Heading the group is Michał Subocz, whose specialities are construction and post-M&A disputes. Jakub Wołkowicz is a member of the firm's international arbitration group and has a solid cross-border disputes practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Professional team of experienced lawyers in the field of domestic and international dispute resolution. Flexible and innovative team, pro-active in proposing solutions for the client. ’
‘Comprehensive solutions combining different fields of law.’
‘Depth of knowledge of construction disputes.’
AASA Polska S.A..
Acciona Construcción S.A.
Inpex Operations Australia Pty Ltd
Mostostal Power Development sp. z o.o.
Mostostal Warszawa S.A.
PGE Górnictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna S.A.
Polska Grupa Energetyczna S.A.
PUBLICIS Groupe Holdings B.V.
Waterland Private Equity Investments
- Representing Inpex in respect of numerous arbitrations and project completion issues arising out of the construction of an onshore LNG processing facility.
- Acting for a consortium consisting of Sacyr, S.A. (Spain), Salini Impregilo S.p.A. (Italy) and Jan De Nul N.V. (Belgium) in a dispute with the Panama Canal Authority in connection with the expansion of the Panama Canal at a cost of $5.5bn
- Representing PGE GiEK in an unprecedented dispute initiated by ClientEarth, an NGO specialising in environmental protection.
RKKW – Kwasnicki, Wrobel & Partners
At RKKW – Kwasnicki, Wrobel & Partners, lawyers specialise in corporate and capital markets-related disputes on behalf of companies and minority shareholders. The group has experience in court proceedings, as well as in alternative dispute resolution and arbitration. Areas of expertise include hostile takeover situations and corporate blackmail. Radosław Kwaśnicki regularly sits as an arbitrator in Poland and internationally. Dariusz Kulgawczuk has experience as a civil and commercial litigator, particularly in relation to corporate and contractual disputes. Damian Dworek, a certified mediator, has experience in court and in alternative dispute resolution arising from contentious contractual and corporate issues. Aneta Pankowska is noted for intellectual property disputes.
Radoslaw Kwasnicki; Damian Dworek; Dariusz Kulgawczuk; Aneta Pankowska
‘RKKW’s Dispute resolution practice is highly regarded in the market. Their lawyers are recognized for commitment to their clients’ interests. They specialize in matters that require careful attention, wide experience and high degree of expertise.’
‘Professionalism, attention to detail, creativity and deep experience. RKKW’s lawyers bring these virtues to all our cases. Their aptitude to constructive solutions, combined with hard work and energy, ensures that RKKW is for us consistently a top-choice for the highest-quality legal services. Teamwork is a hallmark of RKKW. RKKW’s lawyers thrive amid the challenge of intricate and complex situations.‘
Zakłady Magnezytowe Ropczyce
Murapol Real Estate Spółka Akcyjna, previously: Abadon Real Estate Spółka Akcyjna
SATURN Towarzystwo Funduszy Inwestycyjnych
- Represented Luma Holding in a dispute with one of the sellers of Xaklady Metalowe Postep over the acquisition of shares in the company.
- Represented Fiten Spółka Akcyjna as the claimant in a civil dispute against Energetyka Spółka Akcyjna over the payment of a contractual penalty due to non-performance by the defendant of obligations related to the sale of electricity.
- Represented two investment funds run by Saturn TFI in a dispute brought against Enhanced Property and Equity Fund seeking the payment of bonds issued by seven special purpose vehicles.
BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sroka Nilsson Sp. k.
BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sroka Nilsson Sp. k.'s dispute resolution lawyers have strong arbitration and mediation practices, but are most known for construction and public procurement litigation. The group is led by experienced arbitrator Krzysztof Kowalczyk, who focuses on disputes arising from FIDIC contracts, real estate and infrastructure.
‘Total availability. They are integrated into the needs of our company and cooperate so smoothly that they seem to be part of our company.’
‘We are working with Mr. Krzysztof Kowalczyk for about a decade now and are and were very satisfied with his work all these years.’
Akuna Polska Sp. z o.o
Apcoa Parking Polska Sp. z o.o
Berger Bau Polska Sp. z o.o.
BNP Paribas Bank Polska S.A.
DHV Polska Sp. z o.o
Dyckerhoff Polska Sp. z o.o.
Metsa Tissue Poland Sp. z o.o
Polaqua Sp. z o.o.
- Representing Dragados in arbitration proceedings regarding the construction of a dry polder in Poland, where the claim is valued at €220m.
- Defending Dyckerhoff Polska in a dispute held before the Supreme Court and pertaining to the largest cartel decision in the country, with €100m of fines imposed initially.
- Represents Dragados in a €55m dispute with Poland’s State Treasury regarding the construction of three sections of the S8 express road.
Maruta Wachta sp. j.
Offering 'a first-rate litigation and dispute resolution service', Maruta Wachta sp. j.'s team is well placed to assist clients with technology-related disputes, drawing on substantial knowledge in contractual relations. Areas of expertise include cases involving outsourcing, telecoms and interchange fee litigation. The department is jointly led by Wojciech Jarosinski, praised for 'broad experience, as well as in-depth market knowledge'; and 'very prolific and driven attorney' Damian Gudel. Senior associate Ewa Podogrodzka-Maruszkin is developing a strong reputation for construction and infrastructure disputes, and Michał Grodziewicz has experience of IT sector contractual disputes.
Wojciech Jarosiński; Damian Gudel
Other key lawyers:
Ewa Podogrodzka-Maruszkin; Michał Grodziewicz; Marta Mackiewicz
‘Maruta Wachta offers a first-rate litigation and dispute resolution service. What makes them really stand out is their amazing ability to think outside the box and come up with solutions that nobody else thought about. Additionally they are very active in handling our cases, which gives us an edge throughout the whole process.’
‘The team has outstanding communications skills and is able to provide tailored solutions even in very complicated cases.’
‘Lawyers from the firm are professionals who are not afraid of complicated legal issues. In particular, I appreciate their knowledge of the law of new technologies, which is extremely crucial in view of technological progress.’
‘Maruta Wachta is a well recognised law firm on the Polish market, especially in dispute resolution. The firm has never failed to achieve a result, which was expected from us as client.’
‘We have worked with Damian Gudel and Michał Grodziewicz. Damian has always proven to be a very prolific and driven attorney, that will not rest until he sees the goal accomplished. Michał is a senior associate. He shows tremendous insight and attention to detail, that allows him to control the case one hundred percent and navigate it to a desirable end.’
‘Wojciech Jarosiński stands out because of his broad experience, as well as in-depth market knowledge. He is approachable and always responds in a quick and efficient way, even to complex and complicated questions regarding the case.’
The Agency for Restructuring and Modernization of Agriculture (Agencja Restrukturyzacji i Modernizacji Rolnictwa)
The Social Insurance Institution (Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych)
PKN Orlen S.A.
Muticonsult Polska sp. z o.o.
NTT Poland sp. z o.o.
Morele.net sp. z o.o.
Główny Geodeta Kraju (The Surveyor General of Poland)
Andrzej Wróblewski Foundation
Industrial and Financial Systems Central and Eastern Europe sp. z o.o., Industrial and Financial Systems Poland sp. z o.o.
Bank Pocztowy S.A.
Ciech Sarzyna S.A.
AGC Consulting sp. z o.o.
Fabiana Filippi S.p.A.
Genesys Telecommunications Laboratories sp. z o.o.
- Represent PKN Orlen in a multimillion-euro legal battle with multinational financial services corporations – Visa and MasterCard – for overcharging on interchange fees.
- Representing an e-commerce company, Morele.net, in administrative litigation against the imposition of a high-value GDPR penalty in Poland, resulting from a cyberattack.
- Acted for Polkomtel, the operator of one of the biggest cellular networks in Poland, “Plus”, on the amicable resolution of a multimillion-euro dispute with business transformation provider – Huawei.
Radzikowski, Szubielska i Wspólnicy sp.j.
Radzikowski, Szubielska i Wspólnicy sp.k.'s litigation department has expertise in energy-sector disputes, antimonopoly cases, as well as contentious issues stemming from privatisations and re-privatisations. The group also has a strong commercial arbitration and mediation practice. Marcin Boruc heads the group.
SSW Pragmatic Solutions
SSW Pragmatic Solutions' team handles negotiations, court and arbitration proceedings, representing Polish and international corporates. Client's praise the firm for its 'truly innovative method of managing court cases at each stage, from the moment of securing a claim to filing a claim and the execution of a judgment.' Janusz Mazurek heads the litigation team in Warsaw alongside Wojciech Jaworski, while Łukasz Wołk is the key disputes name in Krakow.
Janusz Mazurek; Wojciech Jaworski; Łukasz Wołk
Other key lawyers:
Łukasz Cudny; Filip Balcerzak; Helena Czechowska
‘First, they work very efficiently and quickly. Secondly, they very well manage complicated cases requiring knowledge of a number of different fields. Thirdly, they are very effective.‘
‘SSW applies a number of innovative methods of communication and preparation of documents. Nevertheless, what distinguishes SSW’s work is their truly innovative method of managing court cases at each stage, from the moment of securing a claim to filing a claim and the execution of a judgment.’
‘Responsible, providing advice always on time, competent.’
‘Filip Balcerzak is very diligent, self confident, responsive.’
‘Janusz Mazurek combines extensive knowledge with experience in civil and criminal cases.’
‘Łukasz Cudny is an open-minded and efficient lawyer with impressive skills.’
Poczta Polska S.A.
Various Polish franchisees of Subway International
International Package Shipping
Willis Towers Watson
- Represented various Polish franchisees of Subway International in arbitral proceedings seated in New York and administered by the International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) / American Arbitration Academy (AAA).
- Representing Cinkciarz.pl/Conotoxia, as the claimant, in a tort case against its competitor in online exchange services for loss suffered due to the competitor’s use of Google AdWords.
- Representing Immofinanz’s subsidiary before the Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce in a multi-party arbitration.
CDZ Chajec, Don-Siemion & Partners' team is highly experienced in construction-related disputes, representing investors in disputes with general contractors, as well as the contractors themselves. The group regularly provides day-to-day disputes services for the bankruptcy trustees of entrepreneurs, and individuals pursuing claims against banks concerning Swiss-franc denominated mortgages. Aleksandra Hulewicz heads the team, specialising in court and administrative proceedings. Marcin Lizurek focuses on construction disputes, with expertise in FIDIC contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Piotr Kryczek; Marcin Lizurek
‘Chajec, Don-Siemion & Zyto Legal Advisors is very responsive to any queries a client may have and proactively provides creative solutions for the clients’ specific issue.’
- Representing clients in individual proceedings (not a class action) and relations with banks in connection with Swiss franc mortgage loans.
- Representing the heirs of former owners of a property situated in the very centre of Warsaw (at the intersection of Marszalkowska Street and Jerozolimskie Avenue) in proceedings against the Treasury and the Capital City of Warsaw for payment of damages for an unlawful nationalisation of that property.
- Representing an heir in a dispute with another heir concerning the distribution of a sizeable and complicated estate.
DeBenedetti Majewski Szczesniak Kancelaria Prawnicza Sp. K.'s lawyers have expertise in corporate, insurance and financial litigation, often representing clients in minority shareholder disputes. The group also has a strong commercial litigation practice. Of the practice co-heads, Jarosław Majewski takes the lead on criminal litigation and white-collar criminal defence; 'pragmatic' Dariusz Szczesniak handles corporate and administrative disputes; and Wojciech Baranski focuses on civil disputes involving restructuring, bankruptcy and banking law.
Jarosław Majewski; Dariusz Szcześniak; Wojciech Barański
Other key lawyers:
‘Good knowledge of the local landscape (Regulatory Authorities), good understanding of their clients’ business needs, pragmatic solutions; excellent understanding of the financials. Top availability, strong service ethos.’
‘Dariusz Szcześniak clearly understands his clients and comes up with pragmatic solutions.’
‘Reliable, experienced, well-educated, brilliant people. Advising in a number of fields of law – insurance, commercial, civil, etc. Timely and properly delivered.’
‘The firm is mid-sized, and has a great cost-benefit ratio and great partners.’
‘Dariusz Szcześniak is a great professional with a calm manner but also with the necessary strength in his statements to serve his client best.’
Elliott Management Corp.
Nationale Nederlanden Life and Pensions Poland
Vienna Insurance Group
Long Victory Incorporation (Hong Kong)
Kewpie Corp. (Japan)
KB DOM Sp. z o.o
- Representing an American hedge fund in a procedure for compensation filed by approx. 70 individuals.
- Representing a shareholder of a limited liability company in a case concerning invalidation of the agreement on the sale of real property by the very company plus representing a shareholder in an actio Pauliana case against the purchaser of the real estate.
- Representing KB DOM in all stages of bankruptcy litigation and its restructuring.
FKA Furtek Komosa Aleksandrowicz
FKA Furtek Komosa Aleksandrowicz's litigation and arbitration team has a strong presence in the banking sector, often representing financial institutions before civil courts, administrative courts and in arbitration proceedings. Practice head and co-founding partner Marek Furtek is well established as an arbitrator, both in domestic and international arbitrations, and has a strong track record in banking and finance disputes. Counsel Agnieszka Skrok leads the competition and antitrust department and is gaining a reputation for litigation involving derivatives and Swiss franc-denominated mortgages.
Other key lawyers:
Agnieszka Skrok; Milena Wieczorek-Waszewska; Paulina Smulska; Katarzyna de Rosset
‘The team is very well integrated and professional. They strive for the same goal for a client which is to provide them with practical solutions that best suit their needs. They are also very effective in what they undertake and they execute their clients’ strategies successfully.’
‘Agnieszka Skrok is a very experienced practitioner in the field. She has great knowledge about the market and provides the clients with the best advice from the practical and legal point of view.’
BNP Paribas Bank Polska S.A.
mBank S.A. (Commerzbank group)
Bank Millennium S.A. (Banco Comercial Portugues group)
- Representing mBank in court proceedings concerning derivates before common courts and the Arbitration Court at the Polish Bank Association (ZBP).
- Representing Makrowet in a court proceeding against a tenant in connection with a default in rent payments, termination of the agreement and related issues.
- Representing Bank Pocztowy S.A. (Polish Post Bank) in the litigation process connected to the pursuing claims related to settlements of proceeds of the sale of Visa Europe against Santander Bank Polska (previously Bank Zachodni WBK S.A.).
Kieszkowska Rutkowska Kolasinski Kancelaria Prawna sp. j.
Kieszkowska Rutkowska Kolasinski Kancelaria Prawna sp. j. is a healthcare and life sciences boutique, and its dispute resolution department reflects this specialism; representing clients in disputes involving unfair competition and advertising, consumer protection, as well as regulatory disputes before the administrative authorities. The group also has substantial experience representing pharmaceutical clients in reimbursement disputes regarding decisions of the ministry of health and the national health fund. Co-founding partner Ewa Rutkowska heads the team and is particularly adept in product liability cases. Senior associate Ewa Auleytner focuses on contractual disputes, often arising from the performance of civil contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Ewa Auleytner; Julia Łokaj; Mateusz Winczura
‘This team is agile, in addition to being highly skilled and motivated.’
‘Ewa Rutkowska is a great lawyer and leader of her team.’
- Representing a Swiss manufacturer of medical devices in a product liability case relating to an alleged malfunctioning of an implanted infusion pump.
At Prof. Marek Wierzbowski and Partners Advocates and Legal Counsel, lawyers have broad expertise in commercial disputes using litigation and arbitration. For litigation, the team has experience before Polish courts of all levels, as well as substantial expertise in administrative proceedings and cases before the competition and consumer protection authority. Areas of focus include unfair competition cases and shareholder disputes. Heading the department is Anna Krysiak, who is experienced in unfair competition cases. Mariusz Rypina is building a strong administrative disputes practice.
Other key lawyers:
Mariusz Rypina; Stanisław Radowicki; Jakub Żelazek; Mateusz Olewiński
‘A well-cooperating, professional team.’
‘ Hardworking, intelligent, knowledgeable.’
‘Very good research base capabilities and experience in dispute resolution. Timely availability for clients. Very good administrative performance including issues regarding environment protection, access to public information, and administrative procedures.’
Wyższa Szkoła Techniczna
Uczelnia Medyczna im. Marii Skłodowskiej-Curie
- Represented Wyższa Szkoła Techniczna w Katowicach in an administrative case concerning the granting of rights to conduct private medicinal studies.
- Represented Uczelnia Medyczna in an administrative case concerning the granting of rights to conduct private medical studies.
Noerr is well placed to advise German clients on their disputes in Poland. The group is particularly active in construction and infrastructure disputes, with experience in litigation up to the Polish Supreme Court. Lawyers are also regularly instructed in arbitrations in Poland and abroad. Wojciech Wąsowicz heads the group.
NN Investment Partners TFI
Allmiz / Allfood Lebensmittel Handels
EDS and T&T Holding AS (formerly AGR Subsea Ltd.)
Kuźnia Ostrów Wielkopolski
Stocznia Szczecińska Porta Holding
Antenna Audio Limited
- Representing NN Investment Partners TFI in a dispute regarding the succession of rights and obligations in the case of the change of the management fund.
- Representing Berger Bau in various disputes including a construction dispute concerning the application of FIDIC rules to a contract.
- Representing Stocznia Szczecińska Porta Holding in a class action brought by the shareholders of the shipyard against the Polish state treasury seeking damages following the bankruptcy of the client.
Penteris was formed following the exit of Magnusson from the Polish market in 2020. Its dispute resolution department remained intact and continues to represent clients in a variety of corporate, commercial and financial disputes. Co-leading the department are Marzanna Sobaniec 'a very quick thinker who understands the issue at stake promptly and drives to solutions', who stands out for litigation and arbitration matters, as well as restructuring and bankruptcy cases; and Daniel Klementewicz, who is noted for investment, post-M&A and shareholders' disputes. Senior associate Piotr Bobrowski has a growing employment disputes practice.
Marzanna Sobaniec; Daniel Klementewicz
Other key lawyers:
‘Penteris handles a full scope of dispute resolution matters, including litigation, arbitration, and commercial mediation. The practice offers a great level of partner attention in combination with excellence at the associate level. The team is well known for its particular experience in complicated cases, often involving multiple parties and jurisdictions.‘
‘Promptness and dedication to solutions. Very good advice.‘
‘Marzanna Sobaniec is a very quick thinker who understands the issue at stake promptly and drives to solutions.‘
‘Marzanna Sobaniec is a shrewd attorney and strategist with a wealth of experience in litigation, arbitration, and commercial mediation. She combines technical excellence with an ability to see the big picture and find solutions in even the most challenging situations.’
Aviva Life & Pensions
Unimo Real Estate Group
Bel-Invest AG ZUG
- Representing a multinational insurance company Aviva Life & Pensions UK in connection with the enforcement of its claims in the bankruptcy proceedings of its Polish debtor.
- Representing Ghelamco Group in two disputes with the Polish State Farm Land Agency.
- Representing a Swiss corporation Bel-Invest AG ZUG in a set of complex and co-related disputes concerning an investment in a Polish company operating an industrial site in northern Poland.
SMM Legal's team has a varied practice that includes clinical negligence and product liability, intellectual property disputes and contentious issues arising from business and financial transactions. The group is jointly led by co-managing partners Przemysław Maciak, who has experience representing banks in disputes related to Swiss franc-denominated mortgages; and commercial disputes specialist Maciej Mataczyński. Senior associate Patrycja Starczewska takes the lead on public procurement and energy sector-related disputes.
Maciej Mataczyński; Przemysław Maciak; Patrycja Starczewska
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm has proved to be very good. They are not only efficiently and comprehensively solved the entrusted tasks, but they were able to think outside the box, providing solutions.‘
Energa – Obrót S.A.
Energa OZE S.A.
Santander Bank Polska S.A.
Capital city of Warsaw
Międzynarodowe Targi Poznańskie
- Advising Międzynarodowe Targi Poznańskie on a strategy to streamline its intellectual property disputes.
- Represented Energa-Obrot in litigation and arbitration concerning its wind farms.
- Represented Santander Bank Polska in a dispute regarding Swiss franc-denominated mortgages.
At Wolf Theiss, lawyers are well versed in litigation and arbitration proceedings, acting for clients in the energy, financial services and healthcare sectors, in addition to handling a steady stream of construction disputes. The practice is led by co-managing partner Peter Daszkowski, who alongside his litigation work is often appointed as an arbitrator. Counsel Joanna Gąsowski is known for contentious real estate matters. In January 2020, the team was joined at counsel level by Arkadiusz Matusiak, who adds expertise in criminal commercial law.
Other key lawyers:
Joanna Gąsowski; Arkadiusz Matusiak; Marcin Rudnik; Damian Majda
SIAC Construction Ltd
- Representing SIAC Construction in post-restructuring litigation with creditors in Poland following Siac’s Irish scheme of arrangement caused by the bankruptcy of Siac’s Polish joint venture partners in 2012 with whom the construction of part of the A4 highway was pursued, as commissioned by the Polish State Treasury – General Directorate of National Roads and Motorways (“GDDKiA”).
act BSWW's team specialises in disputes related to business transactions, including in relation to commercial agreements, debt recovery enforcement and in settlement negotiations. In Giuseppe La Rosa, the firm has a dual Polish- and Italian-qualified lawyer with expertise in public procurement disputes, regularly representing Polish companies in court proceedings in Italy. Marek Miszkiel has a growing practice in bankruptcy disputes. Managing partner Jacek Bieniak heads the department.
Other key lawyers:
Giuseppe La Rosa; Marek Miszkiel
‘Long term experience with an attentive approach to changes in the legal environment.’
- Representing Impexmetal in an international dispute that involves pursuit of claims (€1m) against the guarantor, a Cayman Islands-based company that provided a guarantee for the transaction between the client and its German business partner.
Drzewiecki, Tomaszek i Wspólnicy Sp.k.
Drzewiecki, Tomaszek i Wspólnicy Sp.k.'s team has experience in arbitrations and litigation proceedings for domestic companies, as well as representing groups of individuals in class-action lawsuits. The team is led by managing partner Zbigniew Drzewiecki, an experienced practitioner in corporate litigation. Marcin Szymański is the name to note for class actions.
Doktór Jerszyński Pietras Adwokaci i Radcowie Prawni Spółka Partnerska
Doktór Jerszynski Pietras Adwokaci i Radcowie Prawni Spólka has particular experience in representing banks in disputes concerning foreign exchange options. Other areas where the firm is active are asset recovery disputes and cases involving fraudulent conveyancing. Co-founding partner Łukasz Doktór, whose litigation clients include a number of Polish financial institutions, and Gracjan Pietras, who leads the TMT department and specialises in disputes involving intellectual property, competition and media law, are the key names. Agata Durczyńska is increasingly active in insolvency disputes.
Łukasz Doktór; Gracjan Pietras
Other key lawyers:
Agata Durczyńska; Jacek Tuśnio
Bank Handlowy w Warszawie S.A.
Haitong Bank, S.A. Spółka Akcyjna Oddział w Polsce
Aromeda Sp. z o.o.
Ortiz Contrucciones y Proyectos S.A.
- Representing one of the leading Polish banks in a number of cases against the bank’s agents concerning (1) the commission for transactions concluded with a client previously acquired by the agent for transactions of the same kind (‘cross-selling’) and (2) the agent’s statutory compensation (‘tail commission’) due in case of the agency agreement’s termination.
- Representing one of the leading Polish banks against the Polish manufacturer in a high-value dispute relating to various types of FXO transactions.
- Representing Ortiz Contrucciones y Proyectos in a dispute with a stated-owned company concerning formal conditions of a bank guarantee.
Kacprzak, based in Gdańsk, is most noted for handling disputes in the healthcare and new technology sectors, but it also represents clients in construction disputes. Founding partner Sylwia Kacprzak has substantial experience in cases involving medical negligence.
Flexopack Polska Sp. z o.o.
Helvetia Compaigne Suisse d’Assurances
COPERNICUS Podmiot Leczniczy Sp. z o. o.
Europrojekt Gdańsk S.A.
HDI Global SE
Wielobranżowe Przedsiębiorstwa WPT Sp. z o.o.
Dold Holzwerke GmbH
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty SE
BigLift Shipping B.V.
ZOLLNER Verwaltung GmbH
Felbermayr Deutschland GmbH
Technowa Im- Und Export GmbH
- Represented Europrojekt Gdańsk in a construction dispute with the Polish state, defending a claim that alleges the state is entitled to liquidation damages.
- Representing BigLift Shipping in pursuing claims against Vistal Gdynia resulting from the breach of a charter party.
KKLW Legal Kurzyński Wierzbicki sp.k.
Kocur & Partners
Kocur & Partners is most known for the arbitration expertise of its founding partner Michał Kocur, who according to one client is 'one of the most dynamic, committed and innovative arbitration lawyers in Poland'. The team is also noted for financial services litigation, with recent experience representing Santander Bank in a class action regarding Swiss franc-backed mortgages. Agata Liput has an active construction disputes practice.
Other key lawyers:
Tomasz Waszewski; Agata Liput
‘Michał Kocur is one of the most dynamic, committed and innovative arbitration lawyers in Poland. His skills as an arbitrator are exceptional.’
‘Michał Kocur and his team present deep and unique experience in litigation/arbitration matters. Business-oriented, complex and useful services.’
‘Michał Kocur has unique experience as an arbitrator and advisor in litigation matters. Agata Liput presents very useful advice, quick and professional’
‘The team is led by Michał Kocur, who has a renowned reputation as an arbitrator. Michal is a very thorough lawyer with a lot of experience in handling arbitrations and he is one of the most-natural go-to practitioners when one is looking for a chair in the tribunal.’
Michał Kocur has a solid background from international law firms, but his independence from larger organisations position him very well for arbitrator’s work’
Santander Bank Polska S.A
Abbott Medical Sp. z o.o.
Abbott Laboratories Sp. z o.o.
Kaeser Kompressoren Sp. z o.o.
Michael Page International (Poland) Sp. z o.o.
Santander Faktoring Sp. z o.o.
- Represent Santander Bank Polska in large class action proceedings brought against the bank by a group of over 1,000 of the bank’s clients concerning allegedly unfair terms of mortgage credit agreements that were indexed to the value of the Swiss franc.
- Successfully represented Santander Factoring, a factoring subsidiary of Santander Bank Polska, in a court dispute against another well-known factoring company of one of the largest banks in Poland.
- Represent LPP S.A., the largest Polish fashion retailer in a case regarding its rights to the property on which it has constructed a building intended to house its new headquarters. The case is brought by a company claiming it had pre-emptive rights to the property.
PwC Legal Żelaźnicki sp.k.'s group is able to draw on the wider firm's expertise in regulatory issues; a capability that is particularly useful in cases involving the sale of shares and complex share purchase agreements. Contractual disputes are another specialism of the team, as are bankruptcy and restructuring proceedings. Counsel Stanisław Żemojtel leads the department and has experience in litigation arising from the telecoms, construction and banking sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Sebastian Wieczorek; Maria Strojna
‘Unique experience in public and local government administration. International benchmark. ’
‘Flexibility and individual approach. The ability to react to changing conditions. Individual monitoring system.’
ORLEN Projekt S.A.
Orange Polska S.A.
Polski Koncern Naftowy ORLEN S.A.
Trakcja PKRiI S.A.
Dori Development Sp. z o.o.
Firma Handlowo – Usługowa INSTBUD Stanisław Boguta Sp.j.
Marian Baraniuk – Plantacja Matcze
TK REM Remigiusz Remboch
- Representing ORLEN Projekt S.A. in five court proceedings regarding a construction agreement for the petrochemical installation with a total value of the disputes of approx. PLN194m.
- Representing Orange Polska S.A. in two disputes concerning liquidated damages due to alleged improper provision of telecoms services, with a total nominal value of approx. PLN21.6m.
- Representing Górnośląsko-Zagłębiowska Metropolia in administrative court proceedings against the Silesian voivode; the court will determine the scope of competences of Górnośląsko-Zagłębiowska Metropolia.
The civil law and litigation department at Sadkowski I Wspólnicy focuses on capital markets disputes, with substantial experience representing shareholders. The group is jointly led by Mariusz Kowolik, who is a specialist in contractual disputes and commercial litigator Damian Wasik.
Mariusz Kowolik; Damian Wasik
Other key lawyers:
‘Individual approach to the client’s needs and expectations. One contact person who collects inquiries and returns with coherent and comprehensive advice (even if it requires consultation with various specialists). ’
‘Extremely professional, competent lawyers. Advice of the highest quality, provided always on time. Very good contact and understanding of the client’s needs. ’
‘Skilled, energising team with great leadership, handling complicated cases’
‘A lot of specialists from different law branches’
‘A very well-coordinated team, distinguished by: reliable knowledge supported by experience, fast and effective communication between team members, mutual support and respect, quick feedback, effective operation. Compared to other companies, the firm is distinguished by an exemplary attitude to providing legal assistance to the client in the spirit of actual understanding of its client.’
‘The people we work with are characterized by: a) competence – in every field of law, we always receive content from a specialist in this area, legal solutions, effects of applying these solutions b) sense of security of the cases being handled – involvement, reliable and quick feedback, enables effective monitoring of the issues being handled c) keeping agreed deadlines d) openness and effective communication’
‘They provide extremely committed, innovative and imaginative advice. They see a matter through the client’s eyes and demonstrate fantastic commitment to the client’s case.’
‘The are always up to date and deliver on time’
‘Perfect solutions every time, they are focussing on clients’ needs!’
CWS-boco Polska Sp. z o.o.
Klimas Sp. z o.o
LS Airport Services S.A.
LS Technics Sp. z o.o.
Górnośląskie Przedsiębiorstwo Wodociągów S.A.
Zarząd Transportu Metropolitarnego
Solvachem Sp. z o.o.
Paramedica Mil-Sys Sp. z o.o. Sp.K.
Quercus TFI S.A.
ESBANK Bank Spółdzieldzy
Copernicus Capital TFI S.A.
Agmet Sp. z o.o.
Badian Sp. z o.o.
ESAB Sp. z o.o.
IPAK Dariusz Niklas
MAHA Polska Sp. z o.o.
PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe S.A.
Stoelzle Częstochowa Sp. z o.o.
WKRĘT-MET Sp. z o.o.
Warszawskie Towarzystwo Wioślarskie
Linea Corporis Chirurgia Plastyczna Sp. z o.o.
Mercur Trade Sp. z o.o. S.K.A.
MPGKIM Sp. z o.o.
Optima Prosperity Sp. z o.o.
- Representing KANWOD Wieslaw Tarczynski in a claim brought by a tendering party in relation to delays in the performance of the client’s construction work.
- Representing Origin Otwock 1 in a dispute regarding the contractual penalties imposed by the claimant.
Taylor Wessing Poland's dispute resolution department handles high-value commercial disputes, with extensive experience in litigation and arbitration. The group is best known for professional negligence and product liability cases, but it is also noted for shareholder disputes. Heading the team is Ewelina Stobiecka, who is also the leader of the firm's CEE-region retail industry group. Sylwester Zydowicz is building a solid real estate and construction disputes practice.
Other key lawyers:
Sylwester Żydowicz; Krystian Stanasiuk; Olga Gerlich
Euro-Funding Innovation Unit S.L.U.
Bystronic Polska sp. z o.o.
CNE National Gottesman Europe
Uno Uniqa A/S
- Acted for Euro-Funding Innovation Unit in a dispute with a public entity represented by the State Treasury Attorney’s Office.
- Representing Helm AG in payment proceedings and in previous negotiations related to an out-of-court settlement in a dispute.
- Representing Broadway Malyan, an international architectural services provider, against a Polish contractor who failed to make payment for services rendered.