Dispute resolution in Poland
Clifford Chance's team is integrated into the firm's global offering, advising on Polish litigation and arbitrations across the CEE region, for a range of PE houses, financial institutions, professional services firms and corporates. The group is also instructed in criminal and regulatory business investigations, as well as regulatory enforcements, insolvency and professional negligence litigation. Public procurement disputes are another area of expertise that the team is able to draw on significant experience in. Jointly heading the department, Bartosz Krużewski leads the continental Europe litigation and dispute resolution department at the firm, while Marcin Ciemiński leads on regulatory, healthcare and white-collar criminal law disputes. Counsel and advocate Michał Drwal specialises in construction and infrastructure disputes.
Bartosz Krużewski; Marcin Ciemiński
‘Willingness to learn the details of the client’s industry specifics, offering tailored advice for individual needs; Ability to offer “out-of-the box” thinking and solutions. Legal expertise is supported by a very practical approach and understanding of the procedures, court and arbitration habits.‘
Invenergy Renewables LLC
Raiffeisen Bank International
HSBC Bank Polska
Manchester Securities Corporation
- Represented Raiffeisen Bank International in proceedings before the Polish Financial Supervision Authority, challenging the decision to impose a PLN50m fine relating to its role as a depository for closed-end funds previously managed by Fincrea Investment Funds Society.
- Represented three investors operating wind farms, including Wiatrowa Baltica, Megawatt Baltica and C&C Wind, in arbitration proceedings with Energa Obrót, after the company ceased performing long-term agreements for the purchase of green certificates.
- Represented Pfizer in the tender proceedings for the supply of the pneumococcal vaccine to the Ministry of Health and in the proceedings before the National Chamber of Appeal against the Ministry of Health.
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k.
CMS utilities the expertise of the entire Warsaw office to handle disputes in the financial sectors, as well as the construction industry (representing contractors and employers. It is also instructed in disputes involving energy, aviation, life sciences, automotives and TMT. Department head Małgorzata Surdek has a strong track-record in arbitration, acting as counsel and arbitrator; and she is a member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration. Anna Cudna-Wagner is another key name, and specialises in acting for financial institutions and corporates involved in banking-sector litigation. Senior associate Adam Jodkowski is developing a practice in a variety of civil and commercial disputes.
‘Katarzyna Kucharczyk is always prepared: great litigation skills, strategic view, great interpersonal skills.‘
‘They always work together and always are informed by each other about our cases.‘
‘Malgorzata Surdek and Julia Dyras are excellent partners for handling a complicated case. Not only with regard to purely legal matters but especially technical topics, where they have excellent access to the the core of the dispute.‘
Bank Handlowy w Warszawie
Bank Ochrony Środowiska
Schuler Pressen and Schuler Poland
The sizeable team at Dentons handles litigation and arbitration for a range of Polish and international clients. It is divided into sub-groups, the most notable of which include construction and infrastructure; real estate litigation; white-collar criminal defence and investigations; regulatory disputes; and corporate disputes. An expert in litigation and arbitration involving financial institutions, Anna Maria Pukszto jointly heads the team alongside commercial litigator Wojciech Kozłowski. Katarzyna Bilewska is the go-to lawyer for corporate disputes. In February 2019, senior associate Łucja Nowak joined from Hogan Lovells (Warszawa) LLP.
Anna Maria Pukszto; Wojciech Kozłowski
‘They are reliable and business-oriented, capable of acting on a broad range of matters. Their commitment and quality of work is undoubtedly their strongest point.’
‘We entrusted Dentons’ dispute resolution team with one of our most important matters and that speaks for itself. I value their experience, professionalism, alongside out of the box thinking and problem-solving approach.‘
‘The team is very much dedicated to their work and cooperate very efficiently, so that you always can talk to somebody who has a clear picture of the actual situation.‘
Raiffeisen, mBank, Bank of China
Tarantoga Capital / Creative Development LCC
- Representing Enea in a dispute with shareholders, ClientEarth and Synergia, over the decision to invest in a new, major power plant in Poland.
- Secured several victories both for financing banks and farm investors (WPD Europe) in a series of disputes with Energa-Obrót, one of Poland’s largest wind energy providers, which is state-owned.
- Acting for the international consortium of Saipem, Techint and PBG in a high-profile ICC arbitration against Polskie LNG, a state-owned company, concerning the construction of Poland’s first LNG regasification terminal.
Key areas of expertise for the dispute resolution department at Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka are construction and infrastructure; transport; communications; media; trade finance; insurance; real estate; and state administration. The group has substantial experience in litigation, as well as arbitration before tribunals across Europe, including Zurich, Brussels and Paris. Corporate litigator and arbitration expert Józef Palinka jointly heads the team with Paweł Lewandowski, whose dispute resolution expertise spans the construction, energy, media and advertising sectors. Paweł Paradowski handles business disputes and white-collar criminal defence matters and Łukasz Wojdalski has experience of arbitrations.
Józef Palinka; Paweł Lewandowski
‘They are very hardworking, and with a lot of experience in the construction sector.‘
‘They are always proposing ideas and presenting possible scenarios and risks in order to find the best solution and take the best decision for our interests‘
‘The dispute resolution practice consists of a group of efficiently working professionals with extensive experience and a practical approach, able to deliver even on a very short notice.‘
Polish Tennis Association
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna / PGE Górnictwo i Energetyka
Opel Manufacturing Poland
Obrascon Huarte Lain
City of Wrocław
Porr Polska Construction
ING Bank Śląski
Mota-Engil Central Europe
Sando Budownictwo Polska
Bauer Media Group
- Represented Przewozy Regionalne in a dispute with the State Treasury over remuneration for services and whether state aid taken by the government for the provision of transport services complied with EU and national law.
- Represented Opel Manufacturing Poland in its claim for damages against a contractor, after maintenance work was halted.
- Acted for the City of Wrocław in arbitration proceedings brought against Hydrobiel regarding a contract.
Linklaters is noted for cross-border and domestic dispute resolution, with particular acumen for white-collar criminal defence and international arbitration. The group also handles corporate and commercial disputes across a number of sectors, including real estate, TMT and fast-moving consumer goods. Practice head Cezary Wiśniewski represents clients in arbitration proceedings, with a niche in bilateral investment treaty disputes, as well as advising clients on strategy for commercial disputes. Counsel Zbigniew Kruczkowski has experience in arbitrations and litigation, particularly involving commercial matters and property disputes, while of counsel Tomasz Manicki specialises in cases concerning the liability of directors and managers, compliance, asset tracing and recovery proceedings.
‘Their support and preparation work prior to court is excellent and thorough.’
‘Zbigniew Kruczkowski has excelled at analysing the case, digging into the minute details and presenting the client with the best possible advice.‘
‘The team was very diligent in their analysis and structuring of the claim and has an eye for detail.‘
Abris Capital Partners
Santander Bank Polska
DnB Nord Polska
Bank BGŻ BNP Paribas
- Represented PL Holdings, a subsidiary of Abris Capital Partners, in investment arbitration proceedings against the Republic of Poland concerning the uncompensated expropriation of our client’s equity investment in FM Bank PBP, leading to a partial award of PLN760m.
- Represented maintenance company PKP PLK in a series of compensation claims brought by DB Cargo, Koleje Mazowieckie and Rail Polska, in relation to access to rail infrastructure.
- Acted for Orange Polska in a dispute with PGE Obrót over the price due for electrical energy after the defendant terminated a supply contract with the client.
Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak's litigation team is instructed in disputes relating to the construction, financial, retail and manufacturing sectors. The group is most noted for matters including infrastructural and construction disputes, shareholder disputes, and bankruptcy and restructuring proceedings, in addition to IP and industrial property protection and unfair competition. International arbitration is another strength, and lawyers have experience in arbitrations in Poland and abroad, particularly concerning investment treaties. Since January 2019, when he took over from Dariusz Skuza, Rafał Waszkiewicz is the practice head, and focuses on construction disputes. Founding partner Stanisław Sołtysiński regularly appears in arbitrations, as does Andrzej Szlęzak.
‘The dispute resolution and litigation team understands the needs of the client and aligns with the goals to be achieved in litigation.‘
‘The individuals I have worked with have an extraordinary knowledge of the industry (construction) and of the applicable laws and procedures‘
‘They work very closely with the client and provide accurate and timely notice of the procedure status.‘
ELTEL Networks Telecom
Pfeifer & Langen Poland
Polimex – Mostostal
- Represented Etel Networks Telecom as the claimant in a case involving a charge of unfair competition, following the takeover of a business by a competitor.
- Represented Budimex in a dispute resulting from several cases against PKP following an agreement regarding the client’s acquisition of 100% shares in one of PKP’s companies
- Acted for Pfeifer & Langen Poland in a dispute with minority shareholders, following a partial squeeze-out.
Wardynski & Partners
Wardynski & Partners' group works closely with the firm's other departments, giving it the ability to provide tailored advice with respect to disputes involving intellectual property, M&A, banking and finance, sport and media. It also handles cases involving title restitution, public procurement, white-collar crime and employment, as well as insolvency and restructuring. Founding partner Tomasz Wardyński often acts as an arbitrator for the Vienna International Arbitration Centre and the Lewiatan Court of Arbitration in Poland; Jan Ciećwierz specialises in construction- and real estate-related disputes; Monika Hartung focuses on commercial litigation and international arbitration; while Krakow-based Paweł Mazur is noted for infrastructure and transport disputes.
Tomasz Wardyński; Monika Hartung; Jan Ciećwierz; Paweł Mazur
‘The team is distinguished by great professionalism and experience.‘
‘Its lawyers are characterized by a great commitment to cases and strategic thinking about ongoing proceedings.‘
‘The lawyers really care about their clients’ problems and do their best to make the clients feel secure and protected.‘
Ghelamco Poland Group
Makro Cash & Carry
Marsulex Environmental Technologies Corporation
Społeczna Inicjatywa Narkopolityki
- Representing a local NGO, S połeczna Inicjatywa Narkopolityki, in a case against Facebook regarding corporate policies on content moderation, following accusations of Facebook’s censorship.
- Representing a provider of IT systems for the Polish penitentiary system and the Ministry of Justice, in a remuneration claim against the Polish government after the scale of the contract was reduced.
Financial services litigation is a key area of expertise for Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa's team, which is led by Łukasz Hejmej and includes Sebastian Pabian, who handles regulatory and corporate disputes for financial institutions, as well as white-collar criminal investigations and defence. The group is also well versed in infrastructure and construction disputes involving civil and criminal proceedings, and has developed a practice in disputes relating to the oil and gas industry; a capability bolstered by the arrival of Paweł Samborski from White & Case M. Studniarek i Wspólnicy - Kancelaria Prawna sp.k. in July 2019.
‘High-level specialists with profound understanding of the insurance business.‘
‘Sebastian Pabian is a top specialist. He knows business and the law. He is very professional and trustworthy.’
Getin Noble Bank
Chubb European Group SE Branch in Poland
TUiR Allianz Polska
Aegon Towarzystwo Ubezpieczeń na Życie
Vienna Life TU na Życie
Deutsche Bank Polska
Raiffeisen Bank Polska
- Representing Nokia across a range of civil and criminal proceedings relating to two PPP projects, co-financed from EU development funds, for the provision of broadband Internet in Eastern Poland.
- Represented Vienna Life TU na Życie Vienna Insurance Group in proceedings before the Supreme Court regarding the limitation period that should be applicable to claims resulting from unit-linked insurance polices.
The team at DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k was formed following the acquisition of K&L Gates LLP's Warsaw offices. The group is developing a practice in international litigation and arbitration proceedings, including representing clients before EU institutions and courts. Areas of particular note include white-collar criminal defence, construction, public procurement and financial litigation (an area headed by Maciej Antoniak). Litigator and arbitration specialist Maciej Jamka jointly leads the department with Rafał Morek, who has broad experience of domestic and international disputes. Counsel Ewelina Wętrys is also noted.
Maciej Jamka; Rafał Morek
‘The team has an outstanding arbitration and litigation practice with many dedicated members with different industry-specific expertise.‘
‘It distinguishes itself by offering practical, innovative and out of the box solutions to complex matters. They’re sharp and provide very good quality legal and business advice.‘
‘I highly value the team of business-oriented lawyers who can efficiently handle complex matters. Their analysis and judgement has always been of the highest quality.‘
Polski Koncern Naftowy Orlen
Scheidt & Bachmann
China Overseas Engineering Group
Grupa Azoty Police
- Acting for PKN Orlen in a dispute regarding the construction of a new power plant by a consortium consisting of General Electric and SNC Lavalin Polska. Part of the dispute was already covered by a settlement, while the other – regarding breakdown of the plant – is still subject to negotiations between the parties.
- Represented China Overseas Engineering Group in a PLN119m court dispute with a subcontractor related to the construction sections A and C of the A2 motorway.
- Representing Orlen Koltrans in proceedings against the largest rail infrastructure administrator in Poland and another rail carrier related to damages stemming from a train crash in Białystok.
Paweł Pietkiewicz leads the team at Greenberg Traurig Grzesiak sp. k., which works closely with the firm's global office network, to handle the Polish aspects of global litigation and arbitration. Team members are also highly specialised, with experience in other departments, giving them an advantage in disputes involving, for instance, the banking sector, real estate, corporate transactions, private equity and employment. A particularly strong area for the group is financial regulatory proceedings launched by the Polish Financial Supervision Commission, where it represents clients before the commission and administrative courts. Andrzej Wysokiński leads on commercial and securities litigation and Paweł Tatarczak specialises in disputes arising from M&A, real estate and corporate transactions.
‘Pro-active approach and out-of-the-box thinking combined with unique legal expertise.‘
Spinnaker Capital Limited
Assa Abbloy Mercor Doors
Imperial Tobacco Polska
Abris Capital Partners
Property Finance Sweden
Rockcastle Global Real Estate Holdings and Serenada Property
Integer.pl and Advent International
Laszczuk i Wspólnicy sp.k. is a dispute resolution boutique that handles contentious matters arising from infrastructure and construction, M&A, commercial contracts and IP. The group has a highly developed arbitration practice, handling international arbitration, as well as the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards in Poland. In addition, team members have substantial experience handling investment treaty arbitration against the Polish government. Justyna Szpara jointly leads the team alongside founding partner Maciej Łaszczuk, who also often serves as an arbitrator in ICC proceedings. Marek Korcz's practice spans judicial and administrative proceedings, in addition to telecoms law.
Justyna Szpara; Maciej Łaszczuk
‘We have been working with Lazczcuk & Partners for several years. As a consequence, they are very much familiar with our business and values, which enable the company to render spot on advice of the highest quality.’
‘I would definitely go back to them if I need an attorney in Poland for litigation.‘
VKR Holding / VELUX
Warsaw’s Holy Trinity Lutheran Parish
- Represented FoodCare in a proceeding concerning the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards held against Cargill
RöHRENSCHEF is a specialist dispute resolution firm with expertise in arbitration and litigation proceedings, including bilateral investment treaty disputes. Construction disputes are a major area for the group, but it also has strengths in disputes involving infrastructure, telecoms, media and insurance. Public procurement disputes, competition disputes and judicial reviews are other areas of strength. Marcin Radwan-Röhrenschef successfully defended Volkswagen in a group action brought before the Polish courts by car owners seeking compensation following the emissions scandal, leading to a rejection of the claim at the first instance on jurisdictional grounds. Bartosz Piechota handles financial disputes; Katarzyna Petruczenko is noted for cross-border commercial disputes; and Justyna Tokarzewska specialises in contractual and shareholder disputes.
‘A strong team, good quality, excellent cooperation.‘
‘Justyna Tokarzewska is a very good lawyer, and understands the business’ needs.‘
‘Marcin Radwan-Röhrenschef is an excellent lawyer, highly dedicated, client focused and passionate about what he does.‘
‘The firm is well known and sought out for dispute resolution matters, also cross border. Pragmatic hands on approach, communicative.’
Bank BGŻ BNP Paribas
Dual Corporate Risks
Ampal, East Meditterean Gas Corporation
- Represented Volkswagen in a group action brought before the Polish courts arising out of the diesel emissions scandal, successfully leading to a rejection of the claims at the first instance on jurisdictional grounds.
- Acted for BGŻ BNP Paribas in several disputes with self-employed commercial agents over the payment of indemnification, following the termination of cooperation agreements.
- Represented Polimex Mosotostal in its claims against the General Director for National Roads and Motorways in relation to the early termination of a contract.
The team at WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr stands out for construction and infrastructure disputes, many of which involve EU financing and public procurement issues. In addition to Polish energy companies, the group's client list includes major airlines and Polish financial institutions, which it represents in a variety of financial, corporate and commercial disputes. Frequently sought out for disputes in the regulated industries, Tomasz Kwieciński jointly leads the team with contentious construction and infrastructure specialist Bartłomiej Jankowski.
Bartłomiej Jankowski; Tomasz Kwieciński
‘It has a very strong, long bench of highly qualified lawyers with vast court and arbitration experience.‘
‘The team listens carefully to customers and advice on the best approach to tackle problems. Outstanding capacity to analyse the problem and give customers different solutions to reach the goal.’
‘Jordan Zafirov has deep knowledge of Polish public procurement law. he is fast in understanding the case and gives appropriate answers.‘
DNB Bank Polska
PKO Bank Polski
Bank Pekao S.A.
Tube City IMS Poland
XL Energy Marketing
TOTO Costruzioni Generalli
- Represents Salini Polska / Salini Impregilo in a number of ongoing disputes with the General Directorate for National Roads and Highways arising out of and related to the performance of several contracts for construction of motorways and expressways in Poland.
- Representing leading banks and wind farms in Poland including, among others, DNB Bank Polska and Livingstone in proceedings initiated by Energa-Obrót relating to the sale of green certificates.
- Acting for PGE GiEK as the claimant in a dispute with the State Treasury, concerning losses suffered by the client following the late implementation of the EU Energy Directive.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.'s litigation and arbitration group handles a variety of dispute resolution, including finance litigation, corporate and commercial litigation, product liability cases, restructuring and insolvency. The group is also regularly instructed in arbitrations, as well as white-collar criminal defence and investigations. A particular area of expertise of practice head Krystyna Szczepanowska-Kozłowska is intellectual property disputes, with a focus on trade mark and patent infringement issues, unfair competition and consumer protection. Bartosz Merczyński leads on insolvency and banking litigation, while senior associate Justyna Ostrowska has experience of IP litigation.
Krystyna Szczepanowska-Kozłowska; Bartosz Merczyński
Samsung Electronics Polska
BNP Paribas Bank Polska
- Represented Orange Poland before the Court of Justice of the European Union in an unfair competition dispute for an alleged breach of good market practices.
- Represented Cemex Polska before the Polish Supreme Court in submitting a cassation appeal in the proceedings originally deriving from the cartel decision of the Polish Competition Authority in which five cement producers, including Cemex Polska received the highest-ever fine imposed by the authority.
- Acting for a major oil and gas company in a declaratory action to establish that the client is entitled to a patent that was wrongly granted to the defendant and to determine the right to this patent.
Bird & Bird Szepietowski i wspólnicy sp. k.'s dispute resolution team is instructed by the Polish state in a number of bilateral investment arbitrations. Other areas of expertise include representing corporates operating in Poland before the regulators, as well as handling the spectrum of corporate and commercial litigation. Adam Kowalczyk, who joined in September 2018 after serving as department head at PwC Legal Pawlowski Zelaznicki Sp. K and specialises in contentious commercial and regulatory issues, jointly leads the team with arbitration expert Bartłomiej Niewczas.
Adam Kowalczyk; Bartłomiej Niewczas
Schumacher Packaging Zakład Grudziądz
Polski Koncern Naftowy ORLEN
- Representing Frisco in proceedings before the Supreme Administrative Court, challenging a decision by the alcohol regulator to deprive the client of an alcohol licence.
- Acting for Schumacher Packaging Zakład Grudziądz in a dispute with the environmental authorities regarding a ban on its use of a paper-making machine.
- Representing handball team Orlen Wisla Plock before the Court of Arbitration at the European Handball Federation in proceedings resulting from the Club’s complaints against three decisions of the Federation, imposing penalties on the Club for alleged breach of the Champions League’s regulation.
DLA Piper's team is instructed in litigation, arbitration and criminal proceedings, but it also has strength in internal investigations. The group includes regulatory experts, and many of its cases involve regulated industries, including defence, telecoms and energy. Construction disputes also keep the group occupied. Arbitration work is linked to the firm's global platform, and the Warsaw office is able to work alongside offices in other jurisdictions in international arbitration, including ICC, in London, Stockholm and Vienna. Krzysztof Kycia heads the litigation team, the regulatory group is led by Andrzej Balicki and Tomasz Rudyk leads on corporate crime, investigations and compliance.
Krzysztof Kycia; Andrzej Balicki; Tomasz Rudyk
‘Team led by Krzysztof Kycia is a group of enthusiastic litigators with well-balanced approach and risk assessment.‘
‘Szymon Sakowski is a young talented attorney, dedicated, focused, hardworking and bright.‘
‘Excellent communication and joint planning of the next steps in the process.’
Bank Ochrony Środowiska
Wento (Enterprise Investors)
Pomorskie Przedsiębiorstwo Mechaniczno-Torowe
Qubus Hotel Management
- Representing Wento, a portfolio company of an investment fund, in a dispute relating to M&A in the energy sector with Enea.
- Represented Trakcja PRKiI in a court dispute initiated against the client and its consortium partner (both acting as contractors) by a subcontractor of construction works for an expressway awarded by the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways.
- Acting for a leading Polish hotel chain in a precedential dispute with the City of Warsaw related to a planned hotel investment.
Eversheds Sutherland Wierzbowski is especially noted for handling disputes in the real estate, infrastructure, TMT and aviation sectors. The groups has substantial experience of bankruptcy proceedings, particularly with cross-border aspects. Department head Maciej Jóźwiak has also developed a strong alternative dispute resolution practice, and is regularly instructed in arbitration, as well as appearing as an arbitrator in Poland. Litigator Krzysztof Wierzbowski has experience of representing foreign investors in investment, regulatory and commercial disputes.
‘Always keep deadlines, keep in mind possible risks, suggest the most economic solution but also in line with our financial possibilities.‘
General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways
IKO Sportartikel Handels
Avis Budget Group
Master Management Group
Polskie Sieci Energetyczne
- Represents Ryanair and Turkish Airlines in over 1,000 cases arising from passenger claims based on the Flight Compensation Regulation.
- Acted for Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne in two administrative disputes brought by the state forestry agency regarding the removal of trees on a plot of land used for electricity infrastructure.
- Provided Brembo Poland with an early case assessment regarding a potential dispute with Hochtief that might arise due to construction work on Brembo’s site in Ruda Śląska, and, separately, acting for the client in a dispute against Sita Starol regarding a damage in transport matters.
Gide Loyrette Nouel's team handles domestic and international litigation (including before the Polish Supreme Court) and arbitration, as well as administrative proceedings. It is instructed across areas including commercial law, real estate, intellectual and industrial property and unfair competition. It also has experience of white-collar criminal defence and representing employers in employment litigation. Advocate Piotr Sadownik leads the department and has substantial experience in cross-border litigation for Polish companies and international investors concerning infrastructure and energy projects.
‘Gide is always professional and has excellent specialists.‘
‘Strong team, good understanding of business needs.‘
‘The Warsaw litigation team is formed by high qualified professionals with strong international approach, high value skills and prompt cooperation.‘
General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways
Elektrociepłownia Stalowa Wola
KGHM Polska Miedź
Bouygues Immobilier Polska
Parfums Christian Dior
INSO Sistemi per le Infrastrutture Sociali
Groupe PSA (Citroën Polska / Peugeot Polska
- Represents General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways in complex proceedings against contractors concerning the construction of certain sections of the A1 and A4 motorways
- Represented mBank before the Court of Competition and Consumer Protection in two proceedings concerning the allegedly abusive nature of clauses from various contract templates used in relations with consumers.
- Acted for PGNIG in a series of disputes instituted by or against the client relating to the construction of an underground storage facility.
Jara Drapała & Partners
JDP Drapała & Partners is noted for handling domestic construction disputes, representing construction companies, architects, and contractors in a variety of litigation. In terms of arbitration, lawyers are regularly instructed as counsel, as well as assisting clients with the local enforcement of foreign awards. Co-founding partner Przemysław Drapała heads the department alongside arbitration specialist Andrzej Sokołowski.
Przemysław Drapała; Andrzej Sokołowski
Eiffage Polska Budownictwo
Pojazdy Szynowe PESA Bydgoszcz
Mota-Engil Central Europe
- Representing Mostostal Warszawa in a dispute against Zaklad Unieszkodliwiania Odpadow regarding a contract for the construction of a waste incineration plant in Szczecin.
- Representing Mosty Łódź. against the city of Łódź in a dispute concerning additional payment for a change in the construction technology of a railway bridge in the course of its design.
- Successfully acted for Exorigo-Upos in a claim for damages against a shareholder connected with stock exchange trading.
The disputes team at Kochanski & Partners handles litigation, with experience before Polish courts at all levels including the Supreme Court. The group also handles administrative court proceedings. Arbitration is another area of expertise, and practice head Marek Jeżewski has built a strong practice in commercial and investment arbitration, particularly in relation to investment treaties for private investors and government agencies. Michal König, Mateusz Ostrowski and Agnieszka Chajewska were promoted to the partnership.
‘The arbitration practice is absolutely market-leading in Poland.‘
‘Marek Jeżewski has a unique combination of scholarly accomplishment and highly efficient case management.‘
‘A very knowledgeable Polish disputes resolution team led by the very impressive Marek Jeżewski.‘
Bank PKO BP
Bögl a Krysl
- Representing Muszynianka in a multimillion-euro investment arbitration with the Slovak Republic under a bilateral investment treaty.
- Representing Betomax in settlement negotiations and court actions launched against the majority shareholder and members of the company’s government bodies appointed by the shareholder.
- Acting for Bögl a Krysl in an investment dispute with the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways relating to the construction of the A1 and A2 motorways and the S69 road.
Areas of focus for Radzikowski, Szubielska i Wspólnicy sp.k.'s litigation team include cases concerning the energy industry, anti-monopoly, privatisation and re-privatisation, as well as white-collar criminal defence and investigatory matters. Commercial arbitration and mediation is another strong area for the team and practice leader Marcin Boruc is often called upon as an arbitrator at the Court of Arbitration at the Polish Confederation of Lewiatan. Adam Zwierzyński was promoted to the partnership in 2019.
‘Pure professionals with knowledge of what is behind the scenes – therefore it makes it easier to evaluate the possible outcome of legal actions.‘
‘I think what makes the team unique is their creativity and ability to look at the problem from a different perspective.’
‘Adam Zwierzynski has all the traits of a great attorney. He is quick, driven and highly competent.‘
innogy Stoen Operator
PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna
Elektrownia Pątnów II.
Fabryka Samochodów Osobowych
- Represent innogy Stoen Operator as a defendant in a case brought by the City of Warsaw regarding reimbursement of the costs of energy infrastructure reconstruction.
- Represented Herbapol Lublin in cassation appeals to the Supreme Court filed by the defendants in a criminal case in which the client suffered losses due to decisions taken by the president of its management board and other company officers.
- Acted for Agrifarm in a case brought by the State Treasury in relation to the execution of a tax mortgage.
Rymarz Zdort represents clients before common courts and in arbitrations. The group, which is led by Andrzej Miklas, is particularly noted for commercial litigation and regulatory issues. It also has extensive experience in shareholder disputes that result in litigation. The financial sector is a key area of expertise, as are real estate and construction, telecoms, energy and pharmaceuticals. Karina Aust-Niewiadomska is noted for criminal defence and Łukasz Zak is an expert in breach of contract cases.
PGE Gornictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna
- Representing PGE Gornictwo i Energetyka Konwencjonalna in a construction dispute brought against Bilfinger Engineering & Technologies and Porr, in relation to the delayed delivery of a contract.
- Acted for Erbud in claims for damages brought by Mazowiecki Port Lotniczy Warszawa-Modlin, for issues with the construction of a runway.
- Representing Sopharma in a commercial dispute concerning the liability of the former managers of Service-Pharma.
The team at White & Case M. Studniarek i Wspólnicy - Kancelaria Prawna sp.k. is led by Michał Subocz and handles a range of civil and administrative matters before the courts, in relation to construction, M&A, real estate, competition and commercial matters. The group works closely with the firm's international offering, providing a one-stop-shop for cross-border disputes. It also includes experienced arbitration counsel, instructed before international and domestic arbitration institutions. Criminal litigation is another area of competence, and the team is able to handle white-collar criminal investigations, as well as criminal proceedings in Poland. Associate Jakub Wołkowicz has expertise in cases arising from infrastructure projects.
‘Extraordinary experience in solving international legal issues.‘
‘Fantastic engagement with the case and ideas on how to solve it.‘
Mostostal Power Development
Polska Akcja Humanitarna
Polska Grupa Energetyczna
PUBLICIS Groupe Holdings
- Represented Mostostal Power development in two disputes with Sarens – a claim and counter-claim – relating to the construction of two power plants in Brzezie.
- Acted for charitable organisation Polska Akcja Humanitarna in a claim brought by the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs in relation to a donation for a humanitarian mission in northern Iraq that was paused due to a ban imposed on all bank activity in Kurdistan.
- Represented Publicis Groupe in employment disputes against a former board member and other key employees, relating to dismissals.
BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sroka Nilsson Sp. k.
BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sp. k.'s department head Krzysztof Kowalczyk is an experienced litigator and arbitration counsel, with a particular focus on real estate, construction and infrastructure project disputes, as well as succession issues. Banking disputes are another area of strength for the firm, and it is often called upon to defend banks in derivative instrument cases.
‘I would highlight the great preparation they make of the cases (they develop a great knowledge of the issues, even when they are mostly technical and complicated issues) and how easy it is to cooperate with them.‘
‘Krzysztof Kowalczyk’s timely practical and commercial advice has been instrumental in achieving a number of very good resolutions of a range of disputes.‘
Vias y Construcciones
Fadesa Polnord Polska
Leonhard Weiss International
Capespan Fruit International
- Defending Polaqua, the contractor in the Szczecin – Świnoujście gas pipeline project, against a claim brought by the investor, OGP Gaz-System regarding the promptness and quality of the works carried out and remuneration for the additional works, not accepted by the investor,
- Acting for Dragados in €166m-worth of construction disputes against the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways.
- Representing Dragados in arbitration proceedings against the local authority concerning the implementation of the dry flood protection reservoir in Racibórz Dolny.
Chajec, Don-Siemion & Zyto Legal Advisors' department has experience representing clients before Polish courts at all levels. Expertise encompasses litigation, negotiation, mediation and alternative dispute resolution. The group's banking litigation practice has developed rapidly, and it often represents consumers pursuing claims against banks in relation to Swiss Franc-backed loans. The department is led by Krzysztof Żyto, an expert in insolvency proceedings. Marcin Bącal left the firm.
‘The team is very responsive to any queries a client may have and proactively provides creative solutions for the clients’ specific issue.‘
- Represented GetBack in five court proceedings concerning the dismissal of former members of the board and management staff, including the former CEO.
- Represented a group of heirs of former property owners in Warsaw in proceedings brought against the Treasury and the City of Warsaw, for damages, following the unlawful nationalisation of the property.
- Represented an SPV of private investors in a dispute with a general contractor concerning the failure to fulfil a contract to construct a shopping centre.
GESSEL Attorneys at Law
GESSEL Attorneys at Law's founding partner Beata Gessel-Kalinowska vel Kalisz is a noted expert in arbitration, representing clients in Geneva, the Hague, London, Paris, Warsaw and Vienna. The group also include Piotr Schramm, who leads on litigation and risk support, representing corporates and individuals. Schramm is currently defending former anti-communist activist Władysław Frasyniuk, after he was charged with assaulting two police officers at an anti-government protest in 2017.
Beata Gessel-Kalinowska vel Kalisz; Piotr Schramm
‘The department is comprised of lawyers renowned in the Polish market, among clients and adversaries alike.‘
‘They do not shrink from even the most challenging cases, offering incisive solutions and innovative strategies which go to the heart of the issue.‘
‘The net effect is that, thanks to our counsel at the firm, our clients won precedent-setting judgments and were spared the (significant) cost of enforcement proceedings.’
- Representing Władysław Frasyniuk – a prominent figure in the anti-communist opposition in the People’s Republic of Poland – in a series of criminal proceedings initiated against him consequent to his participation in anti-government street protests in 2017.
- Represented Arcus in a series of cases against Energa Operator concerning the implementation of a metering system.
- Acted for IT distributor Action in a dispute with a bank, after it withheld financing.
The team at Hogan Lovells (Warszawa) LLP focuses on corporate and commercial disputes, particularly in relation to infrastructure and product liability. It is also regularly instructed in investigations, as well as white-collar criminal defence and fraud matters. Arbitration is another area of focus, and lawyers have experience in post-arbitration and arbitral enforcement proceedings. Department co-head Marek Wroniak is a specialist in financial disputes, and often represents Polish and international financial institutions on disputes in Poland. Counsel Wojciech Marchwicki, who jointly leads the practice, is admitted to practise in New York and Poland, and focuses on disputes in the infrastructure and construction sectors.
Marek Wroniak; Wojciech Marchwicki
‘Complete expert knowledge provided by the team and individual team members to reach the final goal.‘
‘Wojciech Marchwicki is very professional and has expert knowledge of court proceedings.‘
‘Clear and actionable advice.‘
CACI Life and CACI Non-Life
- Representing Fundacja Malta in a claim brought against the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, for breach of contractual obligations in relation to subsidy payments.
SSW Pragmatic Solutions
SSW Pragmatic Solutions handles the spectrum of disputes work, including negotiations, mediation, court litigation, arbitration, and enforcement proceedings. The firm has been quick to adopt technological solutions, and often draws on this knowledge in relation to contentious matters, for instance, in relation to evidence gathering. Janusz Mazurek heads the team.
‘The team is competent and always address issues at the proper time in the proper manner. They have a very reasonable approach to the strategy taking into account all the relevant factors, both factual and legal.‘
‘Janusz Mazurek is a competent litigator, flexible and efficient.‘
‘The team understands the importance of furnishing legal support in a swift and efficient manner. They aim to solve problems and think in and outside the legal box.‘
EFC European Foundation
International Package Shipping
Willis Towers Watson
- Represented various Polish franchises of Subway International in arbitration proceedings against the franchisor concerning alleged violations of franchise agreements.
- Represented Edward Kręglewski, a company established before the Second World War that was nationalised during the Communist period in various cases, including restitution claims, proceedings to annul shareholders’ resolutions unlawfully adopted by state representatives, criminal proceedings against the nationalised company’s management board and administrative proceedings to recover the client’s nationalised properties.
- Represented Erbud in a dispute brought against Bank Millennium related to losses incurred by the client resulting from foreign currency options transactions.
FKA Furtek Komosa Aleksandrowicz
Accomplished arbitrator and arbitration counsel Marek Furtek leads the team at FKA Furtek Komosa Aleksandrowicz and is regularly instructed in disputes before the arbitration court at the Polish Chamber of Commerce. The group is also able to represent clients at all levels of the Polish court system, as well as in administrative proceedings, in and out of court. The group has developed a strong practice defending banks against claims related to Swiss Franc-backed mortgages.
Marek Furtek; Leszek Rydzewski
BNP Paribas Bank Polska
- Representing Makrowet in a court proceeding against a tenant in connection with a default in rent payments, termination of the agreement and related issues.
- Representing Bank Pocztowy in litigation connected to claims related to settlements of proceeds of sale of Visa Europe against Santander Bank Polska.
- Represents BNP Paribas Bank Polska in several court disputes relating to Swiss Franc-denominated mortgage loan facilities.
BSJP Brockhuis Jurczak Prusak Sroka Nilsson Sp. k.
KKLW Kurzynski Lyszyk Wierzbicki sp.k's team is most noted for handling litigation arising from infrastructure projects, M&A and business operations. Jointly heading the department,Krzysztof Lyszyk and Przemyslaw Wierzbicki have experience of civil and commercial litigation cases, arbitration and administrative proceedings.
Krzysztof Lyszyk; Przemyslaw Wierzbicki
‘Except for high competence, the thing I like the most is size of the company – it is not a huge corporation, but it’s big enough to have resources for complex issues, with experienced partners and counsel to handle litigation, negotiations and advice.‘
‘I can trust Krzysztof Lyszyk and Przemyslaw Wierzbicki in their judgements.‘
InterRisk Towarszystwo Ubezpieczeń
Gothaer Towarzystwo Ubezpieczeń
- Represent Bank Millennium in more than 350 cases concerning claims related to agreements of credits indexed to Swiss Francs.
- Represented PKP Cargo in an appeal against a decision by the President of the Office for Competition and Consumer Protection.
- Defended Wiener Towarzystwo Ubezpieczeń Spółka Akcyjna Vienna Insurance Group in a case brought by Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Gospodarki Komunalnej seeking PLN4.4m under an insurance guarantee securing claims related to the performance of construction works.
Prof. Marek Wierzbowski and Partners Advocates and Legal Counsellors is instructed in a variety of litigation and arbitration, with a particular niche in unfair competition cases, as well as shareholder disputes. The group also handles commercial disputes relating to the delivery of goods, and where problems with jurisdiction, seizure and a conflict of laws occur. Anna Krysiak, who takes the lead, is an experienced litigator and arbitration counsel.
Wyższa Szkoła Techniczna
- Represented private university Wyższa Szłoła Techniczna w Katowicach in an administrative case against the education authorities to obtain a licence to conduct medical studies, which are normally run by state universities.
Led by Wojciech Jarosiński, Maruta Wachta sp. j.‘s team stands out for technology disputes involving IT contracts and the defence of clients against software audits by major vendors. The group also represents clients in construction disputes, as well as in financial private enforcement litigation. In April 2019, the department was strengthened by IT contracts expert Marta Mackiewicz and construction litigator Ewa Podogrodzka joining from Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP.
‘Well-recognised in the market, strong teams that cover all aspects of law, share their knowledge, exceptional ethical standards‘
‘Available 24/7, exceptional partners engagement, excellent long-time cooperation and very good understanding of customers point of view‘
‘Michał Grodziewicz – Involved in case, always well-informed about last court decisions. Strong negotiation skills‘
The Agency for Restructuring and Modernization of Agriculture (Agencja Restrukturyzacji i Modernizacji Rolnictwa)
The Social Insurance Institution (Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych)
- Provided pre-trial assistance to The Social Insurance Institution in relation to its IT contract with Comarch.
- Represents ZPUE in a case regarding its exit from a contract with Itelligence.
- Represents PBG in several proceedings against subcontractors relating to the construction of roads and stadiums built for EURO 2012.
Noerr handles litigation, mediation and arbitration proceedings, with a strength in cross-border matters around the CEE region, drawing on its regional office network. Sector-wise, it has expertise in retail and logistics, automotives, manufacturing, services and construction. Other areas of note include handling post-litigation and -arbitration cases relating to the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign court judgments. Wojciech Wąsowicz leads the department.
Gain Capital UK
Blycolin Textile Services Polska
NN Investment Partners TFI
Pradera Management Poland
EDS and T&T
- Represented Gain Capital in an employment dispute regarding contractual bonuses, raised by a former director in Poland.
- Represented NN Investment Partners TFI in an appeal proceedings regarding a dispute against a leading investment fund corporation regarding the succession of rights and obligations.
- Represented Berger Bau in a series of litigious cases relating to key investments for Polish infrastructure and economy.
In addition to their dispute resolution expertise, lawyers in the department at Penteris draw on knowledge of restructuring, corporate, construction, real estate, tax, employment and banking and finance, allowing them to act in a wide range of litigation and arbitration. Daniel Klementewicz joint;y heads the team with Marzanna Sobaniec, who was promoted to partner in 2019.
Daniel Klementewicz; Marzanna Sobaniec
Aviva Life & Pensions
Unimo Real Estate Group
Wojdyła Business Park
- Representing Pameni Polska, a group of companies controlled by a German investor in complex, interrelated disputes relating to the legal title to a shopping centre located in the centre of one of the largest Polish cities.
- Represents Aviva Life & Pensions UK in connection with the enforcement of its claims in the bankruptcy proceedings of its Polish debtor.
- Acting for Unimo Real Estate Group which, after having acquired a bank’s claims arising out of an international bank loan, acts as the enforcing creditor in enforcement proceedings from real property (shopping mall in one of the largest cities in Poland) collateralised by the mortgage.
Dispute resolution lawyers at SMM Legal have expertise in various areas of law, including energy, civil and public procurement law. The group is led by Przemysław Maciak, who advises on risk management issues, as well as representing clients before the courts. Senior associate Patrycja Starczewska is another name to note, with a specialism in disputes arising from the energy sector.
‘The law firm presents a professional attitude in ongoing negotiations with our opponents, especially in situations requiring immediate decisions and creative search of alternative solutions.‘
‘Patrycja Starczewska provides comprehensive and clear answers to our questions.‘
‘Under strong time pressure they do not lose sight of our business goals.‘
Międzynarorowe Targi Poznańskie
City of Warsaw
- Represented Międzynarodowe Targi Poznańskie in two court procedures concerning the misleading advertising of fashion and motor fairs.
- Representing Energa Kogeneracja in a price-related claim against a contractor constructing a biomass power-generating unit.
- Representing a railway carrier in a dispute with a producer of rolling stock, following the defendant’s failure to deliver on schedule.