Competition/antitrust in Poland
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.'s competition lawyers are praised for their ‘top-class understanding of the client's needs and highly practical approach'; the group is well equipped to advise on Polish and EU antitrust law. The team sits within the firm's wider US-European antitrust group, allowing it to handle complex, multijurisdictional cases. Marta Sendrowicz leads the department, and has vast experience before the Polish and European competition authorities, in relation to cartel investigations, leniency cases and concentration proceedings. Senior associate Olga Wiśniewska-Łukasiuk is well-versed in merger and antitrust proceedings, and also advises clients on their compliance issues. Senior associate Agnieszka Kolasińska-Czerwińska has a developing practice in antimonopoly, consumer and merger control matters.
Other key lawyers:
Olga Wiśniewska-Łukasiuk; Agnieszka Kolasińska-Czerwińska
‘Top-class understanding of the client’s needs and highly practical approach (which is rare for this field of practitioners) result in solving the client’s problem not extending it. Very fast and responsive team.’
‘Marta Sendrowicz is extremally clever, thoughtful and has a gift of simplifying complex problems to which she always manages to find finds a practical solution. She is a top performer and a pleasure to work with. She combines wisdom with down to earth practicability and does it in an elegant way.’
Keppel Infrastructure Holdings Pte Ltd
Toyota Motor Corporation, Beijing SinoHytec Co., Ltd., China FAW Corporation Limited, Dongfeng Motor Corporation, Guangzhou Automobile Group Co., Ltd. and Beijing Automotive Group Co., Ltd.
BYD Company Limited and Toyota Motor Corporation
Polish Development Fund S.A.
- Advised Tesco PLC on the merger law aspects regarding the sale of its Polish business to Salling Group for £181m.
- Represented Cemex Polska before the Polish Supreme Court in submitting a cassation appeal in the proceedings originally deriving from the cartel decision of the Polish Competition Authority in which five cement producers, including the client, received the highest ever fine imposed by the authority.
- Advised Tokai Carbon, listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, on the acquisition of Cobex, a leading manufacturer and supplier of carbon and graphite products (cathodes, furnace linings and carbon electrodes) and secured the clearance from the Polish Competition Authority.
Clifford Chance's 'top of the market' team handles the gamut of competition law issues, with experience across cartel and antitrust law, litigation and compliance. Merger proceedings and state aid cases are core to the practice, and matters where Piotr Bogdanowicz takes the lead. The group is led by Iwona Terlecka, whom clients rate for her representations before the competition and consumer protection authorities, as 'a highly qualified antitrust lawyer with deep knowledge and experience'. Adelina Prokop, who was promoted to counsel in November 2019, handles competition-related disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Piotr Bogdanowicz; Adelina Prokop
‘Clifford Chance’s antitrust practice continues to be top of the market in Poland. Led by Iwona Terlecka, Clifford Chance remains for us the go-to place for merger control and general antitrust matters. ’
‘Iwona Terlecka – excellent expertise, excellent contacts in the UoKiK, well respected by the authorities. Marta Matynia – very knowledgeable associate, excellent client communication, smart and pragmatic’
‘Competent, quality, punctual, experienced ’
‘The Team is unique due to excellent approach and support received each time. Their replies are prompt and high level quality. ’
‘Iwona Terlecka – high qualified antitrust lawyer with deep knowledge and experience.’
‘Very good quality, in particular given efficient and sensible prioritization of tasks. Overall, attractive price-performance ratio. We would definitely instruct them again.’
‘We worked with Iwona Terlecka and Marta Matynia. We were very satisfied with their work. Iwona showed great knowledge of the Polish legal system and the practical implications. She also provided very good strategic advice. Marta is very dedicated and understands the business implications of particular questions. She was very much in the details of the case and was very well prepared for meetings. Over the course of the project, Iwona and Marta developed a very good understanding of the business and the business needs, so that the final advice was very practical.’
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k.'s team is well-integrated into the firm's global competition and EU law practice group. It advises on the spectrum of competition law issues, handling state aid and public procurement matters on top of its traditional merger control, antitrust compliance and competition authority investigations work. Leading the department is Małgorzata Urbańska, who is 'one of the best' competition lawyers in Poland according to one client. Senior associates Agnieszka Starzyńska and Izabela Biernat-Sadlak are noted for their experience in merger control proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Agnieszka Starzyńska; Izabela Biernat-Sadlak; Krzysztof Sikora
‘Very skilled lawyers with an in-depth knowledge of Polish competition/antitrust law and also with knowledge of other legal systems and insights in how competition authorities in Poland and other countries work. ’
‘Izabela Biernat-Sadlak is a very competent and skilled lawyer with profound knowledge of the Polish legal system and especially competition/antitrust law. Her support is very valuable, she delivers always timely and efficiently.’
‘High responsiveness of the team, very good sector knowledge, practical solutions’
‘Krzysztof Sikora is up and coming. Małgorzata Urbańska is one of the best in Poland.’
Grupa Azoty Polyolefins
P4 (Play mobile operator)
Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW)
Japan Tobacco International (JTI)
- Advised PZ Cussons on both antitrust and merger control aspects of the sale of its brand Luksja to a Greek competitor, Sarantis Group.
- Provided extensive merger control and competition advice to Grupa Azoty Polyolefins in respect of the $1.8bn Police Polimery project.
- Advising the rail equipment division of Canadian firm Bombardier Inc. on a high-profile antitrust case – its fierce battle against a Polish Competition Authority decision regarding alleged anti-competitive conduct in a public tender by the Polish Rail Company.
The department at Dentons takes a sectoral focus to the spectrum of competition and antitrust matters. 'Practical and professional' counsel Anna Gulińska takes the lead on TMT and real estate; senior associate Maciej Marek is noted for chemicals and heavy industry, also handling big data issues; power, utilities, banking and insurance are the responsibility of senior associate Tomasz Kordala; while food, retail and life sciences are handled by senior associate Adrian Bielecki. The overall group is co-ordinated by Agnieszka Stefanowicz-Barańska, who also leads the CEE practice group, and has extensive experience representing clients before EU and Polish competition authorities and the Polish courts.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Gulińska; Maciej Marek; Tomasz Kordala
‘High-level lawyers with a very wide knowledge of every new case/law/judgment’
‘Agnieszka Stefanowicz-Barańska always has a broad look over the topic, calm and always proposing solutions tailored for the client’
‘Anna Gulińska works very closely with the client, always up-to-date with the authorities’ approach, practical and professional at the same time. ’
‘Agnieszka Stefanowicz-Baranska is a great lawyer who provides excellent advice. Maciej Marek is a highly skilled associate who can be fully trusted with managing a matter.’
CPI Property Group
Epsilon Bidco Pte. Ltd.
- Represented Airbus in antitrust proceedings before the Polish competition authority (UOKiK) related to a tender for rabies vaccine airdrops.
- Obtained an unconditional merger clearance from the Polish competition authority for the acquisition by a Hungarian private equity fund owned and managed by Optima Investment from Lone Star Funds of a Dutch holding company that owns a 61,49% stake in Globe Trade Centre.
- Obtained in record time an unconditional merger clearance from the Polish competition authority for the creation of a joint venture by ENEA and Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, which will develop, build and operate an integrated coal gasification combined cycle power plant in Poland.
For competition law, Linklaters is commended for its 'vast knowledge of the issues and regulations'. The group has a comprehensive practice that spans merger control, behavioural investigations, state aid issues, consumer protection, foreign investment and contentious work. In recognition of the firm's strengths, in 2020 practice head Małgorzata Szwaj advised the Polish state and its sovereign fund PFR, on the state aid issues arising from the establishment of business support schemes to mitigate the affects of the Covid-19 pandemic. Szwaj is ably supported by of counsel Agata Zawłocka-Turno, who draws on prior experience at the Polish competition authority. Managing associate Wojciech Podlasin is building a strong merger control practice.
Other key lawyers:
Agata Zawłocka-Turno; Wojciech Podlasin; Anna Laszczyk; Barbara Wanat
‘Exceptional approach, vast knowledge of the issues and regulations, strategic thinking and advice, language skills and seniority necessary to present matters to top-level in-house stakeholders.’
‘Can do attitude, great responsiveness, availability and advice that you can trust. Specific call-out for Wojciech Podlasin for delivering results and exceptional availability for assistance and to Małgorzata Szwaj for her experience and calm approach to complicated matters.’
‘Big experience in handling both domestic and EU matters, long lasting reputation. Attention to detail matched with business orientation. Credibility.’
‘Malgorzata Szwaj – well recognised competition lawyer for many years. Clearly she is at the top of the market. Great attention to detail, not leaving difficult items unsolved. Very credible. Wojciech Podlasin – very hard working, committed, focused on clients’ needs, learning very fast. Anna Laszczyk – great expert in particular as regards consumer regulations.’
BP Europa SE
Brother Central & Eastern Europe GmbH/Brother International Europe
ING Bank Śląski S.A.
Polski Fundusz Rozwoju S.A.
- Representing Kronospan Mielec and Kronospan Szczecinek, international producers of wood-based products, in appeal proceedings before the Court for the Protection of Competition and Consumers (SOKiK) against a decision by the PCA finding a cartel agreement allegedly concluded between Kronospan companies and its two competitors.
- Represented Brother Central & Eastern Europe, a Japanese manufacturer of printers and scanners, in antitrust proceedings conducted by the PCA pertaining to the alleged resale price maintenance in the context, in particular, of online sales. The instigation of the proceedings was preceded by a dawn raid conducted by the authority.
- Advised the Polish state and represented PFR on the state aid aspects of establishing support schemes aimed at helping companies combat the negative effects of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus epidemic by protecting the labour market and providing companies with financial liquidity, compensation of losses resulting from the epidemic and equity investments.
WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr
WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr's 'excellent' team is noted for its broad competition law practice, covering cartel cases, leniency programmes, distribution agreements, as well as abuse of dominance proceedings, merger control issues and consumer protection. The group is also regularly instructed in private enforcement cases and follow-on litigation. The group is jointly led by Aleksander Stawicki ('excellent at advising on navigating' complex competition law issues); and Bartosz Turno, whom clients rate for his state aid practice. Counsel Dorota Karczewska, who is 'not afraid to present courageous positions' in relation to competition and consumer protection proceedings, and draws on the expertise gained in her previous role as vice-president of the Polish competition authority.
Aleksander Stawicki; Bartosz Turno
Other key lawyers:
Dorota Karczewska; Wojciech Kulczyk; Aleksandra Dziurkowska
‘The WKB team is excellent. They provide succinct legal advice, often to very tight deadlines, and are always available to discuss the advice in detail. They have in-depth knowledge that in our experience is hard to find elsewhere.’
‘Aleksander Stawicki is fantastic. There are certain aspects of the Polish regime that are somewhat unusual and not business friendly, however, he is excellent at advising on navigating these in a commercial way.’
‘WKB has a very nice and strong team of competition lawyers. The leaders are well known in the industry and highly regarded, and their expertise is recognised across the international competition law community. They deliver good and relevant advice, just to the point.’
‘I work with Aleksander Stawicki since many years, the clients and I are very happy with the quality and speed of his advise. He really is an expert in Polish competition law, and he is also very responsive. The same is true for Bartosz Turno, he is a great state aid expert and knows the law very well.’
‘The team consists of high-level professionals who are very often not only theoreticians but also practitioners in a given legal field. In the case of a complex legal problem, the case is dealt with by many people, and each staff member is dedicated to the analysis of a specific issue. A particular strength is the holistic approach to the problem, where an in-depth analysis of the problem is carried out, addressing all its aspects, indicating the risks and potential benefits of the specific approach.’
‘High-level professionals who are very often not only theoreticians but also practitioners in a given legal field’
‘Strongest team in Poland. International experience.’
‘Alexander Stawicki in no 1 in Poland. Internationally experienced with exceptional practical experience.’
‘The greatest impression for me was made by attorney Dorota Karczewska. She uses her vast experience in the field of consumer law to assess the specificity of the company’s operations. On the one hand, it clearly defines the boundaries of risk, on the other hand, it can be flexible when factual argumentation is presented. She empathizes with the problems arising on the client’s side when adapting to new deregulations, which allows for joint development of positive solutions. She is not afraid to present courageous positions, which results from her deep understanding and the real purpose of consumer regulation.’
Centrum Rozliczeń Elektronicznych Polskie ePłatności
PKO Bank Polski
Abu Dhabi National Oil Company
Pfeifer & Langen
Santander Bank Polska
The Employers’ Union of Innovative Pharmaceutical Companies INFARMA
InterRisk Towarzystwo Ubezpieczeń S
- Represented PZU during proceedings before the Supreme Court on the appeal against a decision of the Polish competition authority imposing one of the largest fines in Polish history for an alleged cartel on the insurance market.
- Represents Cemex Polska in court proceedings regarding damages claims which are of paramount importance for the future of private enforcement in Poland as they are probably the second competition damages action based on a new Polish law implementing the EU Competition Damages Directive.
- Represented two of the largest banks on the Polish market in the proceedings carried out by the European Commission concerning an alleged agreement restricting competition.
Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa
Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa's competition department advises Polish and international corporates on antitrust proceedings, compliance and state aid matters, drawing on the team's 'excellent commercial acumen'. The group also handles a variety of cutting-edge matters, including the new rules on combatting excessive delays in commercial transactions and cases pertaining to contractual advantage. Mikołaj Piaskowski, who is 'always full of energy and good ideas', focuses on the spectrum of competition issues as well as consumer law; he jointly heads the team with Marcin Trepka, who joined the firm in November 2020. Counsel Elżbieta Buczkowska and senior associate Martyna Wurm are the latest arrivals, both joined from DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k. Associate Michał Derdak is experienced in structuring distributions systems.
Mikołaj Piaskowski; Marcin Trepka
Other key lawyers:
Michał Derdak; Marta Banaś
‘Excellent commercial acumen. Reasonable and realistic approach to problems. Willing to take into account many possible scenarios.’
‘Mikołaj Piaskowski is an excellent legal professional with deep legal knowledge and market expertise’
‘This is very well structured and experienced team under the leadership of Mikołaj Piaskowski. I value a lot his business approach and focus on finding business oriented solutions. My only partners in this area of law, very good relation between quality of work and level of fees. ’
‘Mikołaj Piaskowski is the leader of the competition law practice and our cooperation is very smooth. What I value most about him is his approach to build solutions, not creating problems and obstacles. Always full of energy and good ideas, reacting very swiftly, even if engaged in many time consuming projects, always finds a time to discuss. Never let me down.’
Joy Global (Poland) Sp. z o.o.
Berlin Chemie / Menarini Polska Sp. z o.o.
LG Electronics Polska
Weber-Stephen Products, LLC
Passat-Stal S.A. (Bowim S.A. group)
Toppan Printing Co., Ltd.
PineBridge New European Partners II-A
Platinum Equity Group
GI INTERNATIONAL S.R.L.
Grupa Lotos S.A.
Stokrotka sp. z o.o. (Maxime Grupe)
SeaChange International, Inc.
- Advised Weber-Stephen Products, LLC with a comprehensive state aid assistance, including assessment under the governmental Grant provided on the basis of a programme for supporting investments of major importance to the Polish economy for the years 2011-2030.
- Represented Platinum Equity Group in merger control proceedings regarding the acquisition of the control over Wesco Aircraft Holdings, Inc.
- Advised GI International on the merger control aspects of the acquisition of control of Work Service, Poland’s largest HR company providing services throughout Central and Eastern Europe.
DLA Piper's competition law practice is part of the firm's wider regulatory and public affairs department. The overall group is headed by 'passionate lawyer' Andrzej Balicki, who has substantial knowledge of the life sciences, food and energy sectors. Leading on much of the office's competition law work, Michał Orzechowski handles cartel and vertical agreement cases, merger control proceedings and state aid issues, often alongside the firm's offices in Brussels. Associate Agnieszka Staszek is increasingly active in proceedings before the Polish competition authority.
Andrzej Balicki; Michał Orzechowski
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is a market leader as regards distribution of medical devices’
‘Andrzej Balicki is my first advisor when it comes to distribution of medical devices.’
‘They have great knowledge of both pharma industry and pharma regulations. The team is composed of lawyers having experience at leading international law firms, in-house legal departments as well as public authorities.’
‘Andrzej Balicki is a passionate lawyer who knows the pharmaceutical industry inside-out. He has a terrific expertise across the entire ecosystem for pharmaceutical producers, distributors and regulatory bodies. ’
‘Respectful, warm and direct approach in relation to the client and the subject matter under analysis. ’
‘Excellent knowledge of the applicable legislation. Fast responses and easy to understand answers to our inquiries.
‘Stand out partner – Michal Orzechowski; stand out associate – Agnieszka Staszek.’
‘What makes this practice unique is the capacity to simplify the rules of law and explain them even to people that are not familiar with the Poland law system.’
‘The team and their leader were equally and highly involved in the case we cooperated upon. Their feedback was fast, comprehensive, simple and took into consideration all the information provided. ’
‘Very professional approach, high skills and competences, multi tasking, understanding of business and customer objectives.’
‘Michał Orzechowski has the ability to listen, understand, to learn, and provides advice based on a holistic approach, risk identification, ’
‘The practice is very responsive and provides very good understating of business.’
Concordia Versicherung Holding
GS Engineering & Construction
Smith & Nephew
Trek Bicycle Corporation
TUZ Towarzystwo Ubezpieczeń Wzajemnych
Greenberg Traurig Grzesiak sp. k.'s competition group 'covers all areas of law at the highest level of expertise', with a practice spanning merger control proceedings and antitrust issues. The team, led by Robert Gago, handle the spectrum of investigations and proceedings initiated by the Polish and EU competition authorities, for a client base that includes major Polish corporates and multinationals. Senior associate Ewa Tabor-Maciejewska is an expert in Polish competition and consumer protection law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very well-established network of relations facilitates getting in touch with the right people and obtaining reliable information, which is crucial for the company to take business steps/decisions.’
‘Practice covers all areas of law at the highest level of expertise. Team members are not only reliable risk spotters, but also general advisors in numerous business fields.’
Cyfrowy Polsat S.A.
Polsat Group (Telewizja Polsat S.A.)
REINO Capital and RF Corval
Madison International Realty
Black Red White S.A.
- Represented Cyfrowy Polsat in the merger control proceedings before the European Commission concerning the joint venture with Discovery Communications Europe Limited and TVN S.A. regarding the establishment of a new OTT streaming platform.
- Represented Telewizja Polsat in the merger control proceedings before the Polish Competition authority in relation to the acquisition of the Interia Group.
- Represented Agora in the proceedings before the President of the Polish Antimonopoly Authority (UOKiK) with the intention to acquire the controlling stake in Eurozet sp. z o.o.
‘High-quality specialists in the field of antitrust law', lawyers at competition boutique Hansberry Tomkiel have broad experience, gained in the Polish competition authority and as general counsels. The group has particular expertise in niche areas of competition law, including in relation to energy distribution and the financial services industry. Co-heading the team are founding partners Dorothy Hansberry-Biegunska ('a leader in her field and extremely knowledgeable') and Małgorzata Krasnodębska-Tomkiel, whose experience as a former president of the Polish antitrust governing body is recognised in the market. Grzegorz Materna is another key name for government investigations and enforcement matters.
Dorothy Hansberry-Bieguńska; Małgorzata Krasnodębska-Tomkiel
Other key lawyers:
Grzegorz Materna; Dorota Podsiedzik-Malec
‘High-quality specialists in the field of antitrust law.’
‘Partners available and engaged.’
‘Unique experience and knowledge concerning the antitrust/antimonopoly practice of the supervisory bodies across the world’
‘Małgorzata Krasnodębska-Tomkiel presents unique in-depth experience as a former President of the Polish antitrust government body and broad market understanding.’
‘The entire team is experienced and well versed in antitrust. They are also nice people to deal with.’
‘The founding partner Dorothy Hansberry-Bieguńska is a leader in her field and extremely knowledgeable. She thinks out of the box and comes up with creative solutions. We have been successful to date with this matter as a result of the way that she has handled it. Her associates are also excellent. She also is mindful of the billing and invoices appropriately.’
Essity (formerly known as SCA Hygiene)
Lidl supermarkets Poland
Nowa Era (textbook publisher)
Morvan Le Berre sprl
CEE Equity Partners Ltd
- Represents JSW, a Polish government-owned mining company, in connection with a private enforcement case against some of JSW’s suppliers.
Having spun out from Weil, Gotshal & Manges following that firm's departure from Poland in 2019, Rymarz Zdort has retained its strong competition team, under the leadership of Iwona Her. The group advises on competition law issues arising from domestic and cross-border transactions, and has broad expertise in merger control, cartel, abuse of dominance and state aid issues. Demonstrating the team's competence, it advised the Polish Development Fund on the antitrust and state aid aspects of its business aid programme aimed at mitigating the economic consequences of the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic. Counsel Irmina Watly is another antitrust and consumer law specialist who is increasingly instructed in proceedings before the Polish competition authority.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very efficient, and process oriented. Minimum involvement from company side. Very good knowledge and experience in real estate sector.’
‘Strong knowledge of competition related issues and procedures.‘
‘Holistic approach to the clients.’
‘The team is very helpful.’
‘Iwona Her has very good knowledge and experience in real estate sector.’
Ares Management Limited
Cordia International Zrt.
Grupa Lotos S.A.
Lone Star Funds
Northland Power Inc.
Redefine Properties Limited, Griffin Real Estate Sp. z o.o. and European Logistics Investments
Polski Fundusz Rozwoju S.A.
Polski Standard Platnosci sp. z o.o.
Virgin Mobile Polska sp. z o.o.
- Providing antitrust advice and legal support to Grupa Lotos on the acquisition of a controlling stake therein by PKN Orlen and representing Grupa Lotos in the II-phase merger control proceedings before the European Commission.
- Provided antitrust advice to Vectra with regard to a complicated II-phase merger control proceeding and obtaining merger clearance for the acquisition of control over Multimedia.
- Providing antitrust and state aid advice to the Polish Development Fund in connection with an aid programme aimed at mitigating the economic consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The group at Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak has substantial experience representing clients before the Polish competition authorities, handling cases involving price fixing, appeals, as well as merger control proceedings for an impressive roster of clients in the fast-moving consumer goods sector. Krzysztof Kanton heads the department. Senior counsel Marta Kupczak-Strzelecka focuses on advising clients on antitrust and consumer protection issues. In 2019, the group was joined by of counsel Marek Kolasiński, who had been practising as a judge in the court of appeals, where he handled competition and consumer protection cases.
Other key lawyers:
Marek Kolasiński; Marta Kupczak-Strzelecka
ENGIE Energy Management Holding Switzerland AG
Shell, Engie, Wintershall, OMV, Uniper
Jeronimo Martins Polska SA
Kaufland Polska Markety sp. z o.o. sp. k.
Benefit Systems S.A.
Eurozet Sp. z o.o.
Swiss Krono Sp. z o.o.
- Represented Kaufland Polska Markety in a series of merger proceedings before the PCA pertaining to the acquisition of selected assets of Tesco Polska (commercial premises to operate retail activity); all transactions have been unconditionally cleared by the PCA.
- Representing Swiss Krono (a manufacturer of wood boards) in appeal proceedings against the PCA’s decision concerning collusion on the Polish market for wood boards.
- Represented Engie Energy Management Holding Switzerland Aktiengesellschaft (EMSH) in appeal proceedings against the decision of the Polish Competition Authority (“PCA”) which imposed a fine for the alleged obstruction of the Nord Stream 2 probe (the refusal to provide information in the course of the authority’s investigation).
Traple Konarski Podrecki & Partners
Traple Konarski Podrecki & Partners' team advises clients on all competition law issues, representing them in antitrust and merger control proceedings and advising on compliance issues involving distribution networks, pricing policies and antitrust risk mitigation. The team is co-led by Paweł Podrecki, whom clients rate for his expertise in competition and intellectual property, and Tomasz Targosz. Counsel Katarzyna Menszig-Wiese is developing a solid antitrust practice.
Paweł Podrecki; Tomasz Targosz
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm combines practice advisory with academic background and this makes it unique.’
‘Prof. Pawel Podrecki provides exceptional advisory due to its extensive knowledge in the area of competition and IP law. I admire his understanding of the client’s needs, time of response and reaction in urgent matters. Last but not least his international contacts are very useful in foreign matters.’
‘Dr. Tomasz Targosz presents flexible approach when it is necessary to find the legal solution that would be appropriate for the client’s business. ’
Fabryka Farb i Lakierów Śnieżka S.A.
Lotte Wedel Sp. z o.o.
Auchan Polska Sp. z o.o.
Polska Organizacja Handlu i Dystrybucji (POHiD)/ Polish Trade and Distribution Organisation (POHiD)
Stowarzyszenie Producentów Cementu / Polish Cement Association
Stowarzyszenie Producentów Betonu Towarowego / Polish Association of Ready Mixed Concrete Producers
Związek Pracodawców Branży Internetowej IAB Polska/ Union of Employers in the Internet Sector (IAB Polska)
Grupa Maspex Sp. z o.o.
OTCF Sp. z o.o (marka 4F)
Samsung Electronics Polska sp. z o.o.
Siemens Sp. z o.o.
Siemens Healthcare Sp. z o.o.
Brawo sp. z o.o.
Diasorin Poland sp. z o.o.
Ringier Axel Springer Polska sp. z o.o.
TDLM MARS sp. z o.o. sp k.
- Representing the Polish Trade and Distribution Organisation in an antitrust case triggered by a complaint of the client concerning a prohibited anti-competitive agreement between certain banks with regard to the so-called interchange fees. The court proceedings are still pending.
- Provided competition law advice to Ringier Axel Springer Polska concerning its strategy for a new service, which is intended to benefit users and provide effective advertising opportunities for legitimate undertakings.
- At the request of the Polish Cement Association, the team developed and implemented a comprehensive compliance management system designed especially for the purpose of the trade association. The team also act as compliance officers during the meetings of the members of the Association as well as its governing body, making sure that the highest standards of compliance are met.
Wardynski & Partners
Wardynski & Partners has an active merger control practice, which represents clients before Polish and EU competition authorities. Other areas of expertise include consumer protection and contractual advantage issues. On the contentious side, the group has experience of high-stakes cartel cases; currently representing the ex-CEO of Veolia in proceedings before the Polish competition authority. Having re-joined the team from Hansberry Tomkiel in September 2019, Antoni Bolecki leads the department, specialising in contentious and non-contentious competition and consumer protection law. Marcin Kulesza is noted for competition compliance work.
Other key lawyers:
Marcin Kulesza; Andrzej Madała
‘”Tailor made” personal approach to each case focusing on safe and quick (as possible) process.’
‘Focus on mutual understanding and quick responses, bringing the right solutions.’
CRCC International Investment Group Limited
Urban & Co
Sun Capital Partners
Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego
Multinational truck producer
Cement Ożarów (CRH Group)
- Representing Castorama before the Competition Court, the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court in four proceedings concerning vertical price fixing on the market for paints and varnishes.
- Advised Salling Group on one of the largest transactions on the Polish retail market, concerning the purchase of 300 Tesco stores which was notified to the EC.
- Represented Honeywell in merger control proceedings arising from a joint venture in China with ZPC.
White & Case M. Studniarek i Wspólnicy - Kancelaria Prawna sp.k. has an active practice advising domestic and foreign corporates on antimonopoly filings arising from their M&A projects, with expertise in antitrust, merger filings and state aid. The group is jointly led by Katarzyna Czapracka, who splits her time between Warsaw and Brussels and specialises in EU-related antimonopoly issues, and counsel Jakub Gubański, who has substantial experience of cross-border merger filings.
Jakub Gubański; Katarzyna Czapracka
Other key lawyers:
Hellman & Friedman
Brookfield Infrastructure Partner
Polska Grupa Lotnicza
- Advising Deutsche Telekom’s (DT) subsidiary – T-Mobile Netherlands (TMNL) on a complex four-to-three merger in the telecoms sector concerning the acquisition of Tele 2 NL by TMNL.
- Advising the Polish Aviation Group (PGL), owner of LOT Polish Airlines (LOT), in connection with the acquisition of Condor Flugdienst, a popular German holiday airline operator with a fleet of over 50 aircraft.
- Advising Nets Denmark, a market leader in the payments industry, on the process of acquisition of Poland-based Centrum Rozliczeń Elektronicznych Polskie ePłatności S.A. (PeP), a leading Polish merchant acquirer which provides merchant acquiring services, and has acquired a number of payment businesses since its incorporation in 2010.
DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k's competition team is valued by one client for its 'personal dedication to each case, fresh approach, great attention to detail, and most of all, ability to deliver pragmatic-tailored solutions'. In addition to advisory work, the group has a strong contentious practice, representing clients in cartel cases, antitrust private enforcements and merger control proceedings before the Polish and EU authorities. The team is now led by counsel Lech Najbauer following the departure of Elżbieta Buczkowska who joined Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa in December 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘I believe DWF’s Warsaw office is one of the biggest legal teams in Poland. That gives me confidence they can deal with any kind of project that comes their way. Further, being part of DWF gives them the ability to provide a single point of contact for several jurisdictions. This is of special interest to me, a competition lawyer, as multi-jurisdictional merger filings are exactly the kind of work that DWF’s competition team is able to handle.’
Sonoco Products Company
Polish Bicycle Assosiation (Polskie Stowarzyszenie Rowerowe)
Tauron Polska Energia S.A.
Wydawnictwa Szkolne i Pedagogiczne SA
Astrazeneca Pharma Poland
DNB Nord Polska S.A.
Polskie Górnictwo Naftowe Igazownictwo S.A. (PGNIG)
Minova Ekochem SA
LOFT37 sp. z o.o.
Polskie Zakłady Lotnicze sp. z o.o. / A Sikorsky Corporation
Sport Project sp. z o.o.
PORTA KMI POLAND sp. z o.o. Sp.K.
Batlis Investment S.A.
ITI Neovision S.A. (CANAL+)
Polpharma Capital Group (Zakłady Farmaceutyczne Polpharma SA, Polfa Warszawa SA, Medana Pharma SA, Biuro Handlowe Polpharma sp. z o.o.)
Polish Wind Energy Association
TVN S.A. / Discovery Group
PZU SA (Powszechny Zakład Ubezpieczeń SA) / PZU Życie SA
- Advising H.I.G. Capital on multi-jurisdictional antitrust proceedings in Poland, Germany, Norway and Austria, successfully obtaining consents to take over a leading producer and distributor of rehabilitation equipment – the Meyra Group and Alu Rehab.
- Advising Sonoco Packaging on a $187m acquisition of leading manufacturers of thermoformed packaging Thermoform Engineered Quality LLC (USA) and Plastique Holdings Ltd. (UK) from ESCO Technologies Inc.
- Representing PGNiG in a precedent-setting cartel investigation into the heat energy market in Warsaw against PGNiG Group and Veolia Group in which the Competition Office used a parental liability concept for the first time in the Polish competition law history.
Gide Loyrette Nouel handles Polish and European issues arising from competition and consumer protection law and commercial agreements, advising clients on their business operations and before the competition authorities and courts. The department is led by Dariusz Tokarczuk and includes competition and distribution law expert Szymon Chwaliński, who is instructed on the implementation and modification of distribution systems and compliance audits.
Other key lawyers:
Polskie Porty Lotnicze
Polska Izba Ubezpieczeń
- Counsel to PKN Orlen, in cooperation with the firm’s office in Brussels, on the acquisition of Grupa Lotos, which involved a clearance process before the European Commission and involved negotiating a set of commitments bringing the transaction to a successful end.
- Advised Naval Group on the Polish aspects of its global cooperation agreement with Fincantieri Group and assisting with the merger clearance of the scheme.
- Assisting Auchan with the review of its purchasing policy and cooperation projects on the procurement markets.
At Hogan Lovells (Warszawa) LLP, the antitrust and competition team advises domestic and international clients on competition law and state aid issues in Poland. The group is particularly known for cartel, abuse of dominance and merger control proceedings, as well as consumer-related cases. Counsel Piotr Skurzyński leads the group, with experience representing clients before the Polish competition authority and European Commission, in addition to courts at all levels.
Other key lawyers:
‘Mr. Skurzyński is extraordinary, very helpful and provides in-depth knowledge of the competition law.’
‘We were extremely satisfied with the support and performance of the entire HL team. ’
‘The competition law team was headed by Piotr Skurzyński who was very solution-oriented and had an excellent economic understanding.’
Makro Cash and Carry Polska S.A.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
mBank (Commerzbank Group)
Nationale Nederlanden Insurance
PKO BP (the largest Polish retail bank)
City of Olsztyn/Miejskie Przedsiębiorstwo Energetyki Cieplnej
City of Wroclaw/Wroclawskie Przedsiębiorstwo Hala Ludowa
- Representing Veolia Energia Warszawa – a Warsaw district heating system operator, and its parent company Veolia Energia Polska in on-going complex cartel proceedings before the Polish Competition Authority concerning the alleged division of the district heating market in Warsaw, as well as price and tender collusion.
- Representing two leading Polish banks: mBank SA (the Commerzbank Group), and BNP Paribas Bank Polska SA (the Paribas Group) in their appellate proceedings against the Polish Competition Authority’s decision concerning the alleged infringement of EC and Polish law in relation to the interchange fees in payment card transactions.
- Advising the City of Wrocław and Wrocławskie Przedsiębiorstwo Hala Ludowa on state aid issues related to the potential aid granted by the City of Wrocław for the construction of a parking lot in Wrocław, which includes representation before the Polish Competition Authority.
Kieszkowska Rutkowska Kolasinski Kancelaria Prawna sp. j.
Kieszkowska Rutkowska Kolasinski Kancelaria Prawna sp. j.'s competition and antitrust practice is well-placed to handle matters arising from the life sciences sector, which is the focus of the wider firm. The main contact is former deputy director of the competition protection department at the Polish competition authority Marcin Kolasiński, whose expertise spans competition, consumer protection and public procurement law and is praised for his 'ability to clearly define what is the key legal issue and also to explain it to members of business organisations.’
‘Practical approach, solutions oriented, very deep understanding of pharmaceutical sector, advice based on analysis of legal risks resulting from practice of National Competition Authority ’
‘Marcin Kolasiński is responsive, with the ability to clearly define what is the key legal issue and also to explain it to members of business organisations.’
‘Advice is very practical, which is possible only because team members know the pharmaceutical market and competition law concerns that are discussed inside and out.’
‘I have worked for many years with Marcin Kolasiński. What makes this cooperation special is that Marcin from the very beginning uses common language with business colleagues but is partnering as well with in-house counsel for discussion. ’
‘The lawyers have outstanding in-depth knowledge about the law and are able to provide excellent support in various complex issues arising out of the competition aspects of our company. They are very dedicated and supportive.’
‘Pure pleasure to work with.’
‘High competences of the team. Helpful and highly experienced partner, who personally provides me with professional advise.’
‘Extensive experience, solution oriented, availability’
‘Marcin Kolasiński has extensive experience, solution oriented, availability’
‘KRK presents in-depth knowledge of anti-trust law and the practices of Polish and European antimonopoly offices. Due to speciality of KRK in life science, its general antitrust practice (already at the top level) is enriched by the knowledge of health care issues and legal environment what makes this law firm special for the companies operating within broadly understood pharma. The legal opinions coming from KRK are always easy to read and understand, KRK always offers its service at the level meeting the clients’ needs also in terms of remuneration and delivery in time.’
‘Marcin Kolasiński in terms of his professional skills is on top of his expertise presents the legal opinions in a very clear and customer friendly manner. He is also a very good negotiator representing effectively the clients against the authorities, never in confrontation mood but always focused on reaching win-win.’
- Represented one of the Polish private publishing houses in a dispute with its distributor regarding abuse of a dominant position by the distributor.
- Advising a Polish cinema chain on distribution issues, concerning a dispute with a movie distributor.
- Representing a client in a dispute with its competitor (negotiations, preparation of the strategy for raising allegations against its competitor, settlement negotiations) before the Polish Competition Authority.
Modzelewska&Pasnik is a competition law boutique that handles antitrust, merger clearances, distribution agreements and competition litigation. The group is also known for consumer law issues. The team is jointly led by co-founding partners antitrust expert Małgorzata Modzelewska de Raad and litigator Piotr Paśnik.