Demonstrating an ‘unparalleled expertise in technology’, Disini & Disini Law Office has extensive experience advising market-leading companies on technology and cybersecurity laws. The boutique firm was founded in 2000 in order to focus its expertise on this practice area and assists technology companies, software developers, banks and other financial institutions and on-line retailers with a comprehensive service. Practice heads JJ Disini and Aiken Larisa Serzo are noted for being ‘up-to-date on all the latest trends’, adding value to even the most knowledgeable of technology clients. The firm has proven itself to be particularly adept at advising on data privacy compliance, helping clients to understand the risks and regulations involved with the introduction of new technologies. Serzo was promoted to partner in January 2021 and more junior lawyers include Paolo Sumilong whose expertise is in data protection and privacy rights.
TMT in Philippines
Other key lawyers:
‘Hands down – this is the best law firm we have worked with, and we have worked with many in the Philippine market. Disini Law demonstrates unparalleled expertise in technology, which is readily apparent our dealings with them. The team is very professional, dedicated and highly competent, which enables them to be insightful and creative. They have always provided our company with great advice.’
‘Aiken Larisa Serzo and JJ Disini: both these lawyers are very committed to their clients. They are both very knowledgeable in the technology sector – they keep themselves up-to-date on all the latest trends – and even as a client who’s deeply involved in the sector, we find ourselves gaining valuable insights, every time, from JJ and Larisa.’
‘Disini team offers quite an extensive knowledge on the technology law practice that not many law firms provide nowadays. The team offers a great grasp of the newest trends in this specialized field and makes the topic more relevant to emerging businesses and industries that wish to innovate.’
‘JJ and his team know their clients and their specific needs which make them credible and effective in what they do. ’
‘Very personal engagement to make clients feel comfortable. Billing and negotiations as to retainers are very flexible.’
‘Lars Serzo, a reliable counsel for us in the e-commerce and other business activities which have a regulatory impact.’
‘Disini & Disini Law has been a big help in helping us better address data privacy compliance in terms of new technologies that we introduce in our business operations.’
Unionbank of the Philippines
PJ Lhuillier Group of Companies
QBO Innovation Hub
PLDT Global Corporation
Eastern Securities Development Corporation
Content and Influencer Council of the Philippines
Trusting Social AI Philippines
Sukiplus Money Lending
Pro Tek Telecoms Support
Philippine Wacoal Corporation
- Advises PJ Lhuillier Group of Companies on its various software procurement transactions, complex arrangements with a major telecommunications company, and virtual assets projects.
- Assisted Eastern Securities Development Corporation with the preparation of documentation necessary to launch the crowdfunding platform, including the terms of service, privacy policies, and agreements with investors, issuers, brokers, agents, and consultants.
- Advised Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation on their digital transformation projects which takes into account the regulatory implications of supervising government authorities.
Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra stands out for its first rate fintech, blockchain, and e-commerce work and is the trusted advisor of many major names such as Binance and DragonPay and is lauded as a 'tech-savvy innovative firm'. Advising one of the largest tech projects in the Philippines to date, the firm is assisting China Design Group with the establishment of the Urban Traffic Brain, providing comprehensive smart-city traffic solutions in metro Cebu and Cebu province. Mark Gorriceta and Kristine Torres are key individuals in the practice and are the go-to lawyers for many of their clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is composed of lawyers from diverse backgrounds and specialties, making them well equipped to deal with any legal issue; they are also very responsive to our needs and respond in a very short period when assistance is required.’
‘They’ve been voted the #1 Fintech firm in the Philippines by many rating agencies so—needless to say—they are a tech-savvy innovative firm.’
‘They are very personable and address a broad range of legal issues.’
‘The team has deep knowledge of various Technology related disciplines and has worked with many tech companies/ startups in the past. They are also very much involved in TMT industry associations and networks which helps them gain more knowledge about various areas in the space. ’
‘Individuals are not only knowledgeable in their field but also very responsive, engaged in the various topics and discussions, as well as being good and kind people. Atty Mark Gorriceta and Atty Kristine Torres are the partners who we rely on most of the time for any legal or regulatory-related matter. ’
‘Adding to their great expertise in the local market, Gorriceta’s team is very engaged and very supportive. We’ve been very satisfied with the level of service that they have given.’
‘Mark Gorriceta and Kristine Torres have been very great. It’s a combination of regulatory expertise, commitment and speed, as well as knowing the right stakeholder to move things along.’
UnionBank of the Philippines
UBX Philippines Corporation
Binance Capital Management / Binance Holdings
Multysis Technologies Corporation
Asialink Finance Group
Medifi Medtech Solutions
F(Dev) Digital Innovations and Ventures
Filinvest Development Corporation
- Assisting Stacktrek Limited & Mobigator Technologies Group in structuring and setting up an I.T. company in the Philippines
- Acting as counsel for China Design Group in Setting Up the Urban Traffic Brain and Providing Comprehensive Smart City-Traffic Solutions in Metro Cebu and Cebu Province.
A leader in the TMT sector, Quisumbing Torres provides a full range of services to clients in all tech-related fields. The firm has been advising Prudential Asia on the establishment of a branch office of Pulse Ecosystems in the Philippines which will operate the Pulse App; one of the first health-related mobile applications available in the Philippines. Its unique position as a Baker McKenzie member firm allows it to ‘integrate and maximize its resources from the global network, and share its learnings with clients’ – an attribute that is highly valued by clients. Divina Ilas-Panganiban is co-head of the practice alongside Gil Zerrudo; she stands out for her ‘clear and concise legal advice’ and her ability to provide ‘simple solutions to seemingly complex legal issues’. Bienvenido Marquez III and Neonette Pascual also stand out in the wider team.
‘The firm provides various complimentary webinars on different TMT topics which are relevant to our business – digital transformation, privacy, content regulation, and cybersecurity. The firm is able to integrate and maximize its resources from the global network, and share its learnings with clients. ’
‘ I work with Divina Ilas-Panganiban. Her clear and concise legal advice shows his understanding of our business. She also provides simple solutions to seemingly complex legal issues. On the administrative side, Divina ensures that all our needs are well taken care of and are addressed at the earliest time possible. I am fortunate that she is the one primarily handling our portfolio and to be working with her directly. ’
‘Quisumbing Torres has always been very easy to work with as they are very accessible and warm to talk to. I felt the sincerity of the team that I have worked with when answering our requests for advice and opinions. They will go the extra mile to help.’
PruLife Insurance Corporation of U.K.
Prudential Corporation Asia
SBA Communications Corporation
- Assisted and advised PruLife Insurance Corporation of U.K. and Prudential Corporation Asia on various Philippine regulatory matters in relation to medical devices and business issues on the operation of PulseApp.
- Assisted a pioneer in Philippine call center industry in the preparation and review of its memorandum of agreement with the Philippines’ central statistical authority to ensure compliance with the local law requirements.
- Advised an Australian gaming portal and pioneer of social sweepstake gaming on its direct engagement with several individual contractors in the Philippines.
SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan provides comprehensive legal services to companies operating in the technology, media and telecommunications sector. The firm’s client list ranges from cloud services to e-commerce platforms. Rose King-Dominguez is a TMT specialist, particularly in the area of data privacy, and lead the practice with Rocky Reyes. Dominguez has acted for a leading social media platform on various matters including the roll-out in the Philippines of a ground-breaking multijurisdictional project, which involved the handling of content issues raised by users, and the establishment of a local representative office. The firm is also particularly active in advising fintech companies where John Paul de Leon is a key individual.
Metro Pacific Group
Dentsu Aegis Network
San Miguel Corporation
- Advised Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. on a variety of Philippine regulatory matters, including compliance with the various regulations issued by the Philippine Department of Information and Communications Technology for the conduct of a common tower business in the Philippines.
- Providing general structuring, regulatory and employment law advice to the client, a global communication as a service, as well as due diligence, risk assessments, and advice on doing business.
Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) is known for its expertise in advising technology clients on compliance and regulatory issues. The firm counts an impressive number of leading social media platforms and fintech companies in its client list. Having recently separated the TMT and fintech practice from its general corporate practice group, the firm now offers highly focused services to its clients. Partner Mary Thel T. Mundin now leads the practice group and Deborah Miriam Sobrepeña-Lacson is another notable name.
Other key lawyers:
‘Mary Thel Mundin gives much attention to detail and writes thorough and practical opinions.’
‘The team was very responsive and knowledgeable. They provide great value, especially when compared to other top-tier firms. ’
‘Mary Thel Mundin was responsive and provided value-adding commercially savvy advice. She was accommodating with budgets and still provided top service. ’
Focusing on telecommunications, Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law) advises some of the largest telecoms companies in the Philippines. The firm is legal counsel to China Telecommunications Corporation in connection with its investment in Mindanao Islamic Telephone Company, a consortium comprising Udenna Corporation, Chelsea Holdings, and China Telecom. Franchette Acosta is a key individual at the firm in the field of telecommunications and is lead counsel on most cases. Sylvette Tankiang and Raoul Angangco head the practice alongside Acosta.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have practical experience in the market.’
‘Ernesto Herrera and Francine Acosta are both great people to work with.’
Ninja Express Tech Philippines
Tata Consultancy Services Philippines
China Telecommunications Corporation
GTI Business Holdings/ Globe Telecom
- Acting as legal counsel of China Telecommunications Corporation in connection with its participation and investment in Mindanao Islamic Telephone Company, a consortium comprised of Udenna Corporation, Chelsea Holdings, and China Telecom.
- Advising ISOC in its Joint Venture with EGSB for the creation of a telecommunications tower company in the Philippines, which in turn will be engaged in the construction of cellular towers for leasing to the major telecommunications players in the country.
- Engaged as counsel by Globe Telecom one of the major telecommunications companies in the Philippines, in its acquisition, through its subsidiary GTI Business Holdings, of two digital companies, Third Pillar Business Applications and Third Pillar Global Delivery Center, TBPAI’s outsourcing affiliate.
Gulapa & Lim (Gulapa Law) is best known for its work advising mobile app and web platform developers such as Zomato Media. The firm also advises public and private clients on the establishment, development, and operation of smart cities and e-government services, notably advising the Asian Development Bank regarding the Bases Conversion Development Administration on the New Clark City Information and Communication Technology project which aims to turn the NCC into a smart city. The practice is lead by the managing partner and founder of the firm Aris Gulapa.
Other key lawyers:
Asian Development Bank
Zomato Media Private Limited
APO-UGEC Security Printing Joint Venture
AC Infrastructure Holdings Corporation
Foremost CagayanDevelopment Leisure Corporation
- Advising Asian Development Bank and Bases Conversion and Development Authority in relation to the proposed Information, Communications & Technology Infrastructure Project for New Clark City under a potential public-private partnership.
- Acting as counsel for APO Production Unit and United Graphic Expression Corporation on the implementation of their joint venture agreement to upgrade APO’s printing facility to become a world-class printer to enable APO to print the Philippine ePassport.
- Advising Zomato in the licensing of Zomato’s new information technology features and the implementation thereof to cope with the fast-paced FinTech industry.
Insights Philippines Legal Advisors (IPLA), Member Firm of ZICO Law Network
Insights Philippines Legal Advisors (IPLA), Member Firm of ZICO Law Network is especially active in advising international fintech companies on both the sale and acquisition of local tech companies. It also handles regulatory queries from e-commerce platforms. As the former head of the banking, finance, and insurance practice group at Quisumbing Torres, Felix Sy‘s expertise ranges from mergers & acquisitions to project finance. He is also recognised for his expertise in advising cryptocurrency platforms, peer-to-peer financing start-ups, and digital banks. Mary Aubbrey Leigh Lim and Reeneth Santos stand out at associate level.
- Acting as lead legal counsel for the sellers in the sale and purchase of 100% shareholding in an information technology company providing technology services to a government agency.
- Advised and assisted in the due diligence on and acquisition of a Philippine healthcare data analysis software company subsidiary of the target company in Singapore, whose business is providing data about healthcare professionals and patients and analyzing such data for the benefit of businesses in the healthcare industry such as pharmacies and hospitals.
- Advising on various legal and regulatory requirements surrounding the client’s use of electronic signatures and electronic documents in its transactions.
Subido Pagente Certeza Mendoza & Binay (SPCMB Law Offices) DELETE
Subido Pagente Certeza Mendoza & Binay (SPCMB Law Offices) provides valued solutions to its clients relating to digital media advertising, social media, e-commerce, online gaming and outsourcing arrangements. In line with new trends in the industry, the practice has evolved to provide a full service to start-ups, consultants, and venture capital groups on initial coin offerings and developments in financial technology and regulatory issues. The firm also advises on data protection including data sharing agreements, outsourcing agreements, and IT service agreements. Martin Subido leads the TMT practice.
IBAYAD Online Ventures Incorporated
TBWA\Santiago Mangada Puno Advertising
AHD-Advance Communication System
Huawei Technologies Phils
- Advised Agrinurture on the organization of the 1ANI e-commerce platform, a financial technology ecosystem, allows local farm input requirements and output to be traded using virtual currencies.
- Advised IBAYAD Online Ventures Incorporated on its application with the Banko Sentral ng Pilipinas for a Type-D Remittance License.
- Advised TBWA\Santiago Mangada Puno Advertising on cross-border data privacy and protection and legal impact of data privacy laws both within and outside of the organization.
A member of the Wong Partnership Group, Zambrano Gruba Caganda & Advincula has earned a strong reputation for advising digital banking and fintech companies such as Jazzypay and Railspay. The firm is experienced in assisting companies in securing the necessary registrations, permits, and licenses to operate electronic payment systems and as electronic money issuers. It also provides services relating to cybersecurity, including reviews of vulnerability assessments, the establishment of cybersecurity operations centers, and technology service agreements. Angelo Patrick Advincula leads the practice and serves as corporate secretary to several fintech companies in the Philippines
Other key lawyers:
‘ZGLaw is professional and efficient in terms of securing bank licenses and giving legal advice to local companies related to finance/fintech.’
‘I value their efficient and professional work ethic.’
‘Having experienced working with other law firms, ZGLaw is above the others in terms of promptness and appropriateness in responding to legal issues brought before them. Knowledge of the industry sector where our company belongs is another capability of the firm which augurs well in the light of changing economic environment brought about by the pandemic.’
‘Our company has been working well with the team of Angelo Advincula and John Godinez.’
Lulu Financial Services
Next Generation Technologies Global
- Assisted Lulu Financial Services in securing its electronic money issuance license and registration for EMI-Others and electronic payment and financial services with the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
- Acted as counsel for Jazzypay in securing its registration for operator of payment system before the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
- Advised Railspay in securing its registration for electronic money issuer, electronic payment and financial services, and operator of payment system with the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.