TMT in Philippines
At leading tech and IT firm Disini & Disini Law Office, 'tasks are well delegated and communication is efficient', and the team is 'professional, courteous and knowledgeable'. The firm is held in particularly high regard for data privacy; in this space, it advises on compliance, risk assessment, process mapping, gap analysis and data breach and security incident management. Other strengths include fintech, e-commerce and cybercrime. Mark Parcia 'is transparent to his client and values integrity'. Senior associate Aiken Larisa Serzo advises media and tech companies on the rules, regulations and commercial issues relevant to their products and services. Managing partner JJ Disini and senior partner Rowena Disini are also key contacts.
JJ Disini; Rowena Disini; Mark Parcia
Other key lawyers:
Aiken Larisa Serzo; Marian Salanguit; Roberto Miguel Rañeses; Paolo Sumilong
‘Disini & Disini Law Office is very polite and very professional. The team responds to every email, and always takes the time to explain in detail the procedures and information we need‘.
‘The team is very responsive and gives comprehensive and practical advice‘.
‘JJ Disini is experienced in many fields; he gives precise and straight to the point answers and advice‘.
‘Aiken Larisa Serzo conducts thorough research on any topic and gives extensive and relevant answers in a timely manner‘.
‘Paolo Sumilong provides timely answers and gives appropriate follow ups‘.
‘Mark Parcia is highly commendable because of his professionalism, integrity, good character and competence. He has the best advice on data privacy-related issues‘.
QBO Innovation Hub
Philippine Life Insurance Association
Social Light Inc.
- Acts as defense counsel for Rappler’s writer-journalists who are facing a cyber-libel complaint with the Department of Justice under the Cybercrime Prevention Act.
- Provides ongoing legal support to QBO Innovation Hub, a public private partnership that helps incubate and promote startups in the Philippines.
- Advised Go-Jek on several data privacy issues relating to its operations, including a review of the company’s internal and external privacy polices.
Quisumbing Torres stands apart in the market for its industry-aligned approach. Its tech, media and telecoms (TMT) industry group is co-led by Gil Roberto Zerrudo and Bienvenido Marquez III and includes a multi-disciplinary team of IP, employment, finance and corporate and M&A lawyers, allowing it to provide a wide-ranging service to its TMT clients. The depth of the firm's data privacy knowledge is another distinguishing feature, and Divina Ilas-Panganiban is a name to note in this space. The team is also well versed in business process outsourcing (BPO), fintech, cloud services and the internet of things, among other areas.
Gil Roberto Zerrudo; Bienvenido Marquez III
Other key lawyers:
Divina Ilas-Panganiban; Christina Macasaet-Acaban; Kenneth Chua; Reena Mitra-Ventanilla; Neonette Pascual; Frederick Jose
SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan's experienced TMT team advises on regulatory matters, commercial projects and corporate transactions. It has broad expertise in the TMT and IT aspects of numerous sectors, including fintech, online retail, logistics, IT services, banking, gaming, advertising and life sciences. Data privacy is a significant area at the firm, where clients often seek advice. Highlights on the transactional side include Rose Marie King-Dominguez and a team's advice to certain investors in the investment in PLDT’s financial technology unit Voyager Innovations. John Paul De Leon and senior associate Ruben Acebedo II are also key names in the department.
Rocky Alejandro Reyes; Rose Marie King-Dominguez
Metro Pacific Group
Dentsu Aegis Network
San Miguel Corporation
- Acted as Philippine counsel to certain investors in their investment in PLDT’s financial technology unit Voyager Innovations. Voyager Innovations is a Singapore-based company.
- Advised a telecoms company on the licensing, regulatory issues, and commercial structures for providing connectivity services to support telematics services in the region, including the Philippines.
- Assisted the affiliate of a global media company in the registration of media company’s representative office in the Philippines.
Belo Gozon Elma Parel Asuncion & Lucila
Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra has quickly established itself as a key firm for tech companies doing business in the Philippines. It is well versed in new technologies, and many of its lawyers are expert speakers on subjects ranging from artificial intelligence (AI) to blockchain to cryptocurrency. Transactional highlights included advising healthcare tech company AIDE on the PHP30m investment in it by AC Health (an Ayala company); Mark Gorriceta led the advice, with support from associate Liane Stella Candelario and others.
Mark Gorriceta; Anthony Edsel Tupaz
Other key lawyers:
‘We’ve worked with multiple firms in PH and SG over the years, including some of the large internationally branded firms. Gorrcieta’s teams stands out both in the level of service and attention they have given us as a client, and, in their deep, specific expertise of dealing with tech companies and navigating the regulatory environment we are operating in. I would rate them at the very top of firms that we have worked with.’
‘Atty Mark stands out as one of the most knowledge and proactive individuals in the local tech ecosystem. He is actively engaged in the community, has built strong relationships with regulators based on years of proactive legal compliance work and representing some of the more interesting and technically challenging cases. He has deep understanding of the legal aspects of our business, but also the commercial context and implications of the legal decisions being made.’
ODX Pte. Ltd.
Bloom Solutions, Inc.
Bloom Technologies Pte. Ltd.
Alpha Omega Capital
Apppps Partners, Inc.
My Solid Tech. & Devices Corp.
- Acted as domestic counsel for ODX Pte. Ltd., which offered up to $100m worth of ODX tokens in Singapore. The proceeds will be used to establish Open Data Exchange, which will allow consumers in emerging markets to access the internet for free through sponsored data packages.
- Acts as domestic counsel for BloomSolutions in its PHP1bn blockchain project; the company launched its initial coin offering in 2018.
- Represented AIDE, a leading healthcare technology company in the Philippines, in the acquisition by AC Health (an Ayala Company) of at least a 29% stake.
Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law) advises tech, financial services, logistics and telecoms companies on a range of corporate, commercial and regulatory matters, and the firm is particularly active in the start-ups segment. It often assists clients looking to enter the Philippine market; recently, Sylvette Tankiang and Kristin Charisse Siao advised Lalamove on its move into the Philippines and provided regulatory advice on compliance with government regulations on application-based mobile delivery services. Franchette Acosta is a key contact.
Raoul Angangco; Sylvette Tankiang; Franchette Acosta
Other key lawyers:
Lalamove Philippines, Inc.
Ninja Express Tech Philippines, Inc.
- Advised Stripe, Inc. on its planned entry as on online merchant acquirer in the Philippines, particularly with respect to Philippine laws on money laundering and terrorism financing rules.
- Advised Lalamove on transportation, online commerce and tax regulations imposed by the Philippine government, as well as the necessary compliance requirements of the relevant local government units.
- Provides advice to Ninja Express Tech Philippines on regulatory and corporate structuring matters, including tax and e-commerce.
The highly regarded TMT team at Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) acts for clients in the tech, telecoms, financial services, construction and manufacturing sectors. A large portion of its workload involves data privacy advice, and the group also advises on cloud services, online platforms, media regulation and cybersecurity. Recommended partner Mary Thel Mundin heads the TMT department, which she established in 2016.
Mary Thel Mundin; Vladi Miguel Lazaro
Other key lawyers:
Deborah Miriam Sobrepeña-Lacson
‘Very active TMT team in all aspects of data protection, media and ICT regulatory work‘.
‘Mary Thel Mundin is a go-to partner in the Philippines for all TMT matters; she is always reliable and responsive‘.
Holcim Philippines, Inc.
Avaya (through Rajah & Tann)
Singapore Telecommunications Limited (through Rajah & Tann)
Comcast Corporation (through Rajah & Tann)
Green Cross, Incorporated
Gulapa & Quicho (Gulapa Law) provides data advisory and compliance services to domestic and multinational corporations, and it also advises private companies on their bids for government projects with significant tech aspects. The firm continues to advise online education platform Quipper on its operations in the Philippines; recently, this included advising the company on the revision of its data privacy policies. Aris Gulapa heads the team, and Aileen Sanguir is a key contact at the associate level.
Other key lawyers:
Quipper United Kingdom
APO-UGEC Security Printing Joint Venture (APO Production Unit, Inc. and United Graphic Expression Corporation)
Prime Asset Ventures Incorporated
Europe Emirates Group
- Assisted Prime Asset Ventures Incorporated in its bid for the new major telecommunications selection by the Philippine National Telecommunications Commission.
- Advised Quipper in the revision of its data privacy policies to comply with the Data Privacy Act of the Philippines.
- Assisted in the incorporation of Day1Tech and is on retainer in advising the company in its activities as a software company in the Philippines.
Picazo Buyco Tan Fider & Santos
Picazo Buyco Tan Fider & Santos advises on telecoms, mass media, information and communications technology and business process outsourcing. Clients include major telecoms companies PLDT and SMART.
Poblador Bautista & Reyes
Quiason Makalintal Barot Torres Ibarra Sison & Damaso focuses on securing and maintaining franchises to operate telecoms and mass media companies. Clients include television and radio broadcasting networks, telecoms companies, cable television companies and internet service providers.
Romulo Mabanta Buenaventura Sayoc & De Los Angeles advises on regulatory matters and a range of technology issues, including telecoms, mass media and gaming.