Disini & Disini Law Office has a stellar reputation for its work in the technology and cyberspace sectors, acting for an impressive client roster of digital banks, software developers, systems integrators, data centres, online retailers and other e-commerce platforms. The practice is led by JJ Disini, who is one of the leading information and technology lawyers in the country, while Aiken Larisa Serzo, an important contact in the firm’s technology practice, routinely helps clients involved in the banking, fintech and emerging media spaces on various projects and regulatory, transactional and corporate restructuring issues. The group also frequently advises many traditional companies, conglomerates and multinational companies on their digitalisation initiatives.
TMT in Philippines
Other key lawyers:
Aiken Larisa Serzo
‘Their adept knowledge of crucial and recent laws, policies and regulations affecting the e-commerce and even the telco industry makes Disini’s practice unique’.
‘Aiken Larisa Serzo is always proactive and very helpful, always extending help beyond what is asked for on any given topic’.
Unionbank of the Philippines
PJ Lhuillier Group of Companies
Ideaspace Foundation Inc.
QBO Innovation Hub
PLDT Global Corporation
Eastern Securities Development Corporation
Nissan Philippines Inc.
Trusting Social AI Philippines, Inc
Content and Influencer Council of the Philippines
Senti Techlabs, Inc.
B.zaar Collective Pte. Ltd.
Sukiplus Money Lending Corp.
Social Light Inc.
DataOne Asia (Philippines) Inc.
Pro Tek Telecoms Support Inc.
- Advising PDAX on its business activities in the cryptocurrency space and applicable regulations.
- Advising PJL Group of Companies on various technology projects, including payment systems and software procurements.
- Advised, negotiated and represented several clients on multi-million dollar large-scale IT procurement projects (including a regional bank and a large financing company).
The first-rate group at Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra has a vast array of experience in technology and innovation matters as well as fintech and data privacy work. Under the leadership of Mark Gorriceta, Kristine Torres and Micaela Kristina V. Galvez, it also garners praise for its expertise in the blockchain and cryptocurrency, artificial intelligence, e-commerce and cybersecurity arenas. In the online and financing industries, the group advises some of the top lending and financing platforms. Anthony Edsel Tupaz is another key name, recognised for his work with various technology companies and numerous start-ups in the Philippines.
Mark Gorriceta; Kristine Torres; Micaela Kristina V. Galvez
Other key lawyers:
Anthony Edsel Tupaz
UnionBank of the Philippines
UBX Philippines Corporation (a UnionBank subsidiary)
Binance Capital Management Co. Ltd
Investree Philippines, Inc
Plentina Lending, Inc.
F(Dev) Digital Innovations and Ventures, Inc.
Binance Investments Co. Ltd.
Headed up by Gil Zerrudo and Divina Ilas-Panganiban, the team at Quisumbing Torres excels in a number of key areas across the technology, media, telecoms and smart technologies sectors, frequently assisting multinational companies with various TMT-related transactions in the Philippines and beyond. The skilled group covers the full range of issues for its technology clients from cybersecurity and technology disputes to advising on fintech and regulatory matters. The practice is also sought out for its expertise in handling digital commerce and trade secret matters and data privacy work. Bienvenido Marquez III is another key contact in the team.
Gil Zerrudo; Divina Ilas-Panganiban
Other key lawyers:
Bienvenido Marquez III
‘The team’s expertise on the matter and vast experience in the industry makes them valuable legal resources for TMT. They are always up-to-date in providing insights on new and recent industry developments’.
‘I work with Divina Ilas-Panganiban. Her clear and concise legal advice shows her understanding of our business. She also provides simple solutions to seemingly complex legal issues. Further, she always provides us with legal materials which she believes are helpful to us, even if we do not request those’.
‘Divina Ilas-Panganiban’s active participation in various legal organisations also make her support and advice more relevant and on-point to our business requirements. I am fortunate that she is the one primarily handling our portfolio and to be working with her directly’.
Alphabet (Google Inc.),
PruLife Insurance Corporation of U.K. (PLUK) / Prudential Corporation Asia (Prudential Asia)
SBA Communications Corporation
Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX)
- Advising Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX) on regulatory issues and policy work in the Philippines.
- Assisted and advised a next-generation business and technology services provider on its acquisition of a US-based company, which has a subsidiary in the Philippines.
- Assisting a multinational technology company with ensuring full compliance with Philippine data privacy requirements for its various products and service offerings.
At SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan, Rocky Alejandro Reyes leads the team, which is recommended for its work on the full spectrum of TMT matters from advising on e-commerce platforms and streaming services to telematics, data centres, gaming issues and telecoms towers. The group also has a wealth of experience in fintech matters and often advises clients on money remittance, e-money and online financial transactions and payments. In addition, the group excels in cryptocurrency and blockchain technology work and has niche expertise in advising on satellite services and submarine cable networks. John Paul De Leon is renowned for his work on fintech matters, and Rose Marie King-Dominguez advises some of the most prominent global entities in the technology and media sectors.
Rocky Alejandro Reyes
Other key lawyers:
Rose Marie King-Dominguez; John Paul De Leon
Metro Pacific Group
Dentsu Aegis Network
San Miguel Corporation
Mary Thel Mundin heads up the department at Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law), which has particular strength in advising on all aspects of compliance with data privacy laws. It is also well-placed to advise on many other issues relating to the provision of telecoms services and network infrastructure. Deborah Sobrepena-Lacson is another key member of the firm’s TMT and fintech sector group, while Vladi Miguel S. Lazaro is adept at advising on data protection matters. Associate Dwight Tan has sector expertise in the technology, media and telecoms industries as well as experience in financial technology and data privacy matters.
Mary Thel Mundin
Other key lawyers:
Vladi Miguel S. Lazaro; Dwight Tan; Deborah Sobrepena-Lacson
‘Assigned partners and team are responsive to queries and are able to provide timely responses and advice. Assessments are not limited to legal points but include practical/operational inputs when available’.
‘Direct experience in handling the matter referred including close work with relevant regulators’.
‘They are experts in data privacy and cybersecurity in the Philippines, and a trusted partner of ours. We rely on them heavily and trust their judgment’.
‘They are very quick to respond and very knowledgeable. They are strong experts and can provide very easy to understand advice that takes into account the risk tolerances of clients. We regularly work with Vladi Miguel Lazaro and Dwight Tan – both of whom are excellent’.
TikTok Pte Ltd
Under the able leadership of Raoul R Angangco, Sylvette Y Tankiang and Franchette Acosta, the group at Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law) continues to advise multinationals and key business players both locally and internationally on a whole host of technology and communication matters. It is also adept at advising industry leading start-ups and foreign telecoms companies that are based in Southeast Asia. Other significant work highlights include advising data companies on telecoms infrastructure investments in the Philippines. Kristin Charisse Siao is another primary contact.
Raoul R Angangco; Sylvette Y Tankiang; Franchette Acosta
Other key lawyers:
Richard Henrick Beltran; Raymond John Cheng; Kristin Charisse Siao
‘The team has been very responsive and able to assist us with very complex fintech work with superb market knowledge’.
‘Raymond John Cheng and Richard Henrick Beltran have helped us considerably and are very knowledgeable in technology and finance’.
Globe Telecom, Inc./GTI Business Holdings, Inc.
DITO Telecommunity Corporation
China Telecommunications Corporation
Lalamove Philippines, Inc.
Ninja Express Tech Philippines, Inc.
Tata Consultancy Services Philippines, Inc.
Nissan Philippines, Inc.
Volopay Philippines, Inc.
GPay Network PH Inc.
- Representing ISOC in its joint venture with EGSB worth PHP500m for the creation of a telecoms tower company in the Philippines, which in turn shall be engaged in the construction of cellular towers for leasing to the major telecoms players in the country.
- Engaged as legal counsel to assist with the conduct of due diligence examination on Payment Innovations, Inc., a corporate engaged in processing payments of any persons or the government.
- Provided comprehensive advice to GPay Network PH Inc. on the regulatory requirements for the application for a Virtual Asset Service Provider license before the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
The team at Gulapa & Lim (Gulapa Law) has been notably active advising various public and private clients on the establishment, development and operation of smart cities and the provision of e-government services. Other areas of expertise include assisting web platform and mobile app developers with various matters including drafting e-commerce agreements and advising on technology transfer agreements. Aris Gulapa leads the department, which also fields Dan Kevin Mandocdoc.
Other key lawyers:
Dan Kevin Mandocdoc
Asian Development Bank
APO-UGEC Security Printing Joint Venture (APO Production Unit, Inc. and United Graphic Expression Corporation)
Ayala Land, Inc.
International Finance Corporation
AC Infrastructure Holdings Corporation
- Currently advising ADB and Bases Conversion and Development Authority in relation to the proposed Information, Communications & Technology Infrastructure Project for New Clark City under a potential public-private partnership.
- Advises APO Production Unit, Inc. (a State printer) and United Graphic Expression Corporation (a private company) on the implementation of their joint venture agreement to upgrade APO’s printing facility to become a world-class printer to enable APO to print the Philippine ePassport.
- Assisting the International Finance Corporation in conducting a study on the feasibility of implementing the Department of Information and Communications Technology’s national broadband infrastructure investment plan through all available modes of procurement including public-private partnership.
Insights Philippines Legal Advisors (a member firm of the KPMG Law network)
The team at Insights Philippines Legal Advisors (a member firm of the KPMG Law network) has been advising new market entrants and start-ups in cryptocurrency and AI, and has been substantially busy in the fintech space. Under the direction of Felix T. Sy, the practice has also been advising digital banks on various regulatory matters. At associate level, Mary Aubrey Leigh Lim and Reeneth Santos are well-regarded.
Felix T. Sy
Other key lawyers:
Mary Aubrey Leigh Lim; Reeneth Santos
‘Insights are very responsive and easy to get hold of. They have a good knowledge of Philippines data privacy law and have assisted us on a number of matters’.
‘Felix Sy is the main partner we use for his expertise in Philippines data privacy law’.
The team at Zambrano Gruba Caganda & Advincula is active in advising on securing the necessary permits and registrations to operate electronic payment systems, and is also assisting clients with various cybersecurity issues. Recent work also includes helping a telecoms company with providing internet connectivity to various cities and municipalities in the Philippines. The practice heads are Antero Jose Caganda, Angelo Patrick Advincula and Juan Miguel Victor Dela Fuente.
Antero Jose Caganda; Angelo Patrick Advincula; Juan Miguel Victor Dela Fuente
‘People Collaboration. Juan Miguel Dela Fuente – Passion for the job. Compassion for the client. Perseverance’.
Lulu Financial Services (Phils.), Inc.
Next Generation Technologies Global, Inc.
Doconchain PH, Inc.
- Assisted Lulu Financial Services (Phils.), Inc. with securing its electronic money issuance license and registration for EMI-Others and electronic payment and financial services with the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas.
- Advising Next Generation Technologies, Inc. on data privacy, technological contracts concerns, and day-to-day business operations.