One of the largest full-service firms in the Philippines, Angara Abello Concepcion Regala & Cruz Law Offices (ACCRALaw) provides 'detailed, clear advice' to high-profile, international clients on the registration and protection of their intellectual property. The firm is a popular choice for high-profile brands, and frequently engages in trade mark enforcement, including conducting raids to seize counterfeit goods. Alex Ferdinand Fider leads the department and assists clients from the pharmaceutical, broadcasting, food and engineering industries with the protection of their rights; in 2019, Fider, alongside Richmond Lee, represented Monde Nissin in filing an opposition against the registration of a mark that is similar to its “NAMNAM” mark used on a food seasoning product. John Paul M Gaba handles intellectual property matters in the context of technology.
Intellectual property in Philippines
‘They are knowledgeable and prompt. They give you a sense that your matters are being handled very professionally‘
‘Detailed, clear advice, consistent, timely.‘
Energizer Holdings, Inc.
Asian Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
The Estee Lauder Group of Companies
Jardine Matheson Group of Companies
San Miguel Group of Companies
Hershey’s Chocolate & Confectionery Corporation
CoStar Group, Inc.
Monde Nissin Corporation
- Acted for Pharm-A-Care Laboratories in an opposition case against Nature’s Way Products that led to the assignment of Nature’s Way’s “Nature’s Way” mark to Pharma-A-Care.
- Represented Asics in an enforcement action for unfair competition that resulted in the criminal conviction of the accused.
- Represented Payless and Collective Brands in having the registrations of the “AMERICAN EAGLE” and “AMERICAN BEAGLE” trade marks in the name of third parties cancelled.
Baranda & Associates
Baranda & Associates advises on the full range of intellectual property matters, frequently working with both local and domestic companies to ensure the continued protection of their brands. Enforcement is an area of particular specialism, and the firm has represented clients in the Supreme Court in addition to conducting raids in order to obtain counterfeit goods. Part of the Rouse network, the group also assists local clients with patents; practice head Edmund Jason Baranda advises on the patentability of various technological innovations, especially within the context of life sciences. Claire Corral is the firm's trade mark expert; having previously worked as a trade mark examiner, Corral is able to handle contentious and non-contentious matters, and has experience of using alternative dispute resolution to resolve issues.
Other key lawyers:
Kraft Foods Group Brands LLC
The H.D. Lee Company
Wrangler Apparel Corp
Ace Hardware Corporation
Dalian Wanda Group Co., Ltd.
The Singer Company Limited S.A.R.L.
Prada S.A. (Luxembourg)
LRC Products Limited / Reckitt Benckiser
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of The Singer Company Limited S.A.R.L. of distributors of counterfeit sewing machines bearing the client’s Bird in Flight design.
- Conducted an investigation of the distributor of Dipzy Corn Pop lollipop, which was reported to have manufactured candy products with unauthorised use of LRC Products Limited / Reckitt Benckiser’s product packaging.
- Assisted Mars Inc. with negotiating the withdrawal of trade marks similar to those owned by the client.
Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia's wide-ranging practice includes advising on all aspects of trade marks and patents registration and enforcement, as well as licencing, audit and policy advice. Trade mark disputes is an area of particular activity and the firm is regularly engaged by well-known brands to represent them in litigation or mediation relating to instances of fraud or counterfeit goods. Susan Villanueva heads the department and leads on most contentious work, while Patricia Bunye specialises in licensing and franchising agreements in addition to registering food and pharmaceutical products with the Food & Drug Administration. Rowanie Nakan leads the patent team, many of whom , including Nakan, have scientific qualifications, allowing them to quickly understand innovative new products.
Other key lawyers:
‘We work closely with Atty. Rowanie Nakan. She and her team made us feel very at ease with our current IP case. They are very engaging and would make it a point to provide us update on whatever is going on.‘
Department Of Science And Technology – Technology Application And Promotions Institute
Filinvest, Land, Inc.
Green Cross, Inc
Max’s Group, Inc.
Novex Science Pte Limited
San Miguel Food And Beverage, Inc.
Technological Institute Of The Philippines
Ul Skin Sciences Inc.
United Laboratories, Inc.
- Advised San Miguel Food and Beverage, Inc. on a complaint for Trademark Infringement and Unfair Competition.
- Advised Ayala Corporation on an opposition case against the opponent’s trade mark application for the confusingly similar “Ayala Business Center” mark
- Advised Technology Application and Promotion Institute on drafting patent/utility model/industrial design specifications, claims for numerous inventions/designs and in successfully prosecuting these until registration.
Ortega Bacorro Odulio Calma & Carbonell, the oldest law firm in continuous existence in the Philippines, has a long history of advising major brands on the establishment and protection of intellectual property rights, in particular patents and trade marks. Many of the firm's clients are household names in their sectors; for example, the group registers and maintains the names of all the teams in the NBA and implements anti-counterfeiting measures to guard against unauthorised distributors. Renato Calma, Roane Lopez and Virna Emeline Caringal-Divino are the key practitioners and all handle non-contentious and disputes work.
The Harris Group
NBA Properties, Inc.
President and Fellows of Harvard College
- Advised Lincoln Electric and The Harris Group on implementing anti-counterfeiting measures involving surveillance and serving of search and seizure orders.
- Registered and maintained all of the NBA team names and trade marks and implemented anti-counterfeiting measures against unauthorised distributors.
- Acted for Emperador Distillers in obtaining a favourable decision from the Intellectual Property Office in an opposition case regarding the registration of one of its trade marks.
Quisumbing Torres, a Baker McKenzie member firm, has expertise both in trade marks and patents, advising on applications licensing and franchising, technology transfer, prosecution, and enforcement. Managing large portfolios is an area of expertise; clients have access to a global IP support centre to assist with portfolio transfer, filings and due diligence. Bienvenido Marquez III leads the intellectual property, data and technology group and works closely with enforcement agencies on investigations into counterfeit goods. Divina Ilas-Panganiban focuses on data privacy matters. Reena Mitra-Ventanilla is also noted. Ann Edillon departed in 2019 to join the Intellectual Property Office.
Business Software Alliance
Potbelly Sandwich Shop
WD-40 Manufacturing Company
Brit-Phil Enterprise Limited / Sarapino Global Foods Limited
Novartis Social Business, Sandoz International GmBH
Alphabet (Google Inc)
SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan has expertise in trade marks, patents and copyrights, advising on registration, enforcement, licensing and technology transfer issues. The team is frequently engaged to manage all aspects of clients' intellectual property portfolios, handling everything from registration of trade marks and patents through to enforcement through litigation. The firm also stands out for its copyright infringement work, and advises multinational clothing brands on enforcing their rights in the online space. Vida Panganiban-Alindogan leads the practice and is the key client contact for various household-name brands from the technology, fashion and pharmaceutical sectors.
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
Tupperware Brands Corporation
- Advised Colgate-Palmolive Company on all aspects of intellectual property for consumer products.
- Represented Dart Industries Inc. in an opposition proceeding against the application for the registration of the trade mark TUPPER CABINET mark filed by applicant Tupper Cabinet SDN. BHD.
- Represented H&M Hennes & Mauritz AB in an opposition proceeding against the application for the registration of the trade mark filed by Liangyue Zhang.
Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law)'s 'very responsive and capable' group has expertise on the full range of intellectual property matters, advising on all aspects of trade marks and patents in addition to border control measures and regulatory advice. Disputes are an area of particular activity, and the firm acts on behalf of, as well as opposite, high-profile international companies; in 2019, the team represented ABS-CBN Corporation in a trade mark opposition case against Apple Inc relating to ABS-CBN’s “Three-Circle Device' mark. 'Extremely knowledgeable' Bienvenido Somera Jr leads the team and has vast expertise in trade marks and patents. Qualified patent agent Sophia Editha Cruz-Abrenica is able to draw on her background in biochemistry and molecular biology to advise on the patentability of innovate new products. Katrina Doble is noted for contentious issues.
‘The team is very responsive and capable. They are very knowledgeable in corporate matters as well as in healthcare and life sciences regulatory and transactional matters.‘
‘Senior lawyer Bienvenido Somera Jnr stands out as being experienced and extremely knowledgeable. The team is always reliable and dependable and will always deliver.‘
‘What makes the V&A IP practice unique is the personalized and high level of service that they provide. V&A has a vast knowledge base and connections when it comes to dealing with IP issues. Further, V&A’s dedicated IP team has always been able to provide practical resolutions to the various queries spanning inter-related items concerning IP rights and has always welcomed further dialogues and/or clarifications on contentious topics.‘
‘Atty. Bienvenido I. Somera, Jr. and Katrina V. Doble: vast experience in the field of IP practice. They have always provided practical and timely advice. Finally, their personal attention to detail sets them apart from other competitors as they not only provide legal solutions, but ensure that they take into consideration the business realities and implications of that advice.‘
Innogen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Getz Pharma (Phils.), Inc.
AIMA Technology Group Co.
BDO Unibank, Inc.
F&CO Co., Ltd.
UCC Holdings Co., Ltd.
Penguin Books Limited
Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd.
LKK Health Products Group Limited
Hugo Boss AG
Opus One Winery LLC
Wavee Group Inc.
BigHit Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Paris Croissant Co., Ltd.
Tencent Holdings Limited
Franck Muller Group
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
- Acted as lead external counsel for Petron Corporation’s brand protection programme for its Liquefied Petroleum Gas products.
- Assisted Getz Pharma (Phils.), Inc. with the release in the Philippine market of a generic form of Esomeprazole, a known effective drug for reducing the production of gastric acid in the stomach.
- Advised HBO Asia on the legal viability of direct-to-consumer launch of the video streaming service, HBO Go, in the Philippines.
Betita Cabilao Casuela Sarmiento
A specialist intellectual property firm, Betita Cabilao Casuela Sarmiento advises Fortune 500 companies from the sports, food, entertainment and clothing industries on the maintenance and enforcement of their rights. The group is particularly active in trade marks, having been engaged to file numerous international registrations via the Madrid System. Andre Betita specialises in disputes, representing rights owners in criminal, civil and administrative litigation against trade mark and copyright infringers. Pericles Casuela is active in licensing matters, assisting with the drafting and negotiation of franchise and trade mark licensing agreements.
Federis & Associates
A firm that exclusively handles intellectual property matters, Federis & Associates' team is frequently instructed by companies from numerous industries to advise on patents, trade marks and copyrights, in addition to licensing and franchise agreements. Managing partner Mila Federis is a specialist litigator who has experience of representing clients in trade mark disputes in the supreme court; as a recent example, Federis co-led a team that obtained a favourable decision for Asia Pacific Resources International Holdings, Ltd. in an unfair competition and trade mark infringement matter. Montini Felicilda leads the enforcement side of the practice, which assists international companies with investigations into counterfeit goods. Amanda Carlota is the key contact at associate level and assists with many of the group's biggest cases.
Yahoo! (Oath Inc./Verizon)
Universal Music Group
- Represented and obtained a favourable decision for Asia Pacific Resources International Holdings, Ltd. in an unfair competition and trade mark infringement case in the Supreme Court.
- Represented and obtained several favourable decisions for Chanel SARL in various opposition cases in the IPOPHL
- Represented and obtained several favourable decisions for Bridgestone in various opposition cases in the IPOPHL.
Hechanova Bugay Vilchez & Andaya-Racadio provides a 'one-stop service' to clients from a variety of sectors, advising on all contentious and non-contentious aspects of trade marks, copyright and patents The firm's offering is further strengthened by its sister company, consulting group Hechanova & Co. Inc, which provides technical expertise by employing engineers, chemists and computer science professionals to assist with non-contentious patent and trade mark work. Founding partner Editha Hechanova is 'the heart and soul of the firm' and focuses on disputes, overseeing investigations into potential counterfeit goods and the eventual petition for cancellation before the court. Brenda Rivera leads the patent division and covers patent prosecution registration of plant varieties, searches and also oversees renewals for international and domestic companies. Noemi Rivera directs the trade mark department.
‘I work mostly with their trade mark prosecution team which responds fast, precise and with good results.‘
‘Editha Hechanova stands out with her deep knowledge of trade mark rules and practices from prosecution to enforcement and anticipates possible issues that I may encounter without my asking, and gives practical advice on complex issues.‘
‘Noemi Rivera is meticulous.‘
‘The team is responsive and effective. The explanations of the procedures in Philippines and the indications on what should be done and which are the documents to be issued are clear and thorough.‘
‘Editha Hechanova is the heart and soul of the firm.‘
‘Good value for the fees charged, in terms of the experience, expertise and overall quality of services rendered.‘
‘Editha Hechanova is an experienced IP practitioner who is approachable and easy to work with.‘
‘The Hechanova firm consistently provides substantively strong intellectual property advice. In addition, the Hechanova firm has a keen commercial sensitivity, which adds value to their advice and representation. The firm is especially strong on trade mark portfolio strategy and prosecution.‘
‘Editha Hechanova is a star in the Philippines intellectual property community. Her advice is always at the highest levels of sophistication and presented in a clear understandable matter. Editha also has an engaging and friendly personality that makes working with her fun and rewarding.‘
Bausch & Lomb Inc.
Cluett Peabody & Co.
Department of Science & Technology (technology Application and Promotion Institute)
Vitasoy International Holdings Inc.
Yngen Holdings Inc.
- Advised Alpargatas S.A. (Brazil) on the investigation into potential counterfeit goods and the raid of 10 retail outlets.
- Acted for Shine TV Limited in opposition to the registration of the trade mark MASTER CHEF on the grounds that it was confusingly similar to the client’s MASTERCHEF trade mark.
- Advisedthe Technology Application and Promotion Institute of the Department of Science and Technology on the drafting of patent specifications and applications for 35 chemical technologies from State Universities and Colleges, and the continued prosecution of the patent applications.
Martinez Vergara Gonzalez & Serrano 'is up-to-date with IP laws not just in the Philippines but in various countries worldwide' and primarily focuses on trade marks, handling application and enforcement work for a number of notable companies, in addition to advising on the negotiation and review of assignment, licensing and franchising agreements between foreign multinationals and local, domestic companies. Advising on copyright matters is another area of expertise and the team assists publishing companies with drafting template agreements. Practice head Shirley Alinea is an accredited arbitrator in intellectual property matters, and has a broad contentious practice that includes various types of commercial litigation. At associate level, Kristine Bongcaron assists with the preparation of patent and trade mark applications.
Other key lawyers:
‘The MVGS team is up to date with IP laws not just in the Philippines but in various countries worldwide, either directly or through its liaisons, associations and contacts. It provides IP series and advice not just relevant to the Philippines but throughout countries of interest to the client.‘
‘Manuel Gonzalez and Gwyneth S Ong provide up to date and relevant legal advise that are important to the client’s IP interests and decision-making, as well as in charting the course of the company’s business.‘
Armscor Global Defense, Inc.
Flexi Finance Asia Inc.
Kriska Assenmacher/ Ingrid L. Calubaquib
Spoiled Mummy Corporation (Ph)
Tepoj Co. (PH)
Torre Lorenzo Development Corporation
Torre Lorenzo Holdings Corp.
Institute For Inner Studies Publishing Foundation, Inc.
ISOC Holdings, Inc.
AO247 Fitness Management Consultancy, Inc
- Acted as registered representative for Flexi Finance’s registered trade marks with the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines.
- Assisted a publishing company with the drafting of various template agreements in relation to copyright and other intellectual property rights.
- Handled the registration of Michael Cacnio’s trade mark, which figures prominently in his artworks.
Platon Martinez Flores San Pedro & Leaño has an extensive intellectual property practice which primarily advises large domestic and international clients on all aspects of patent and trade mark registration and infringement. Beyond this, the group assists with copyright protection and unfair competition. Augusto Pedro leads the team, which has a client list featuring well-known names from the clothing, furniture, computer software, healthcare, electronics, construction and pharmaceutical industries.
A full-service firm, Romulo Mabanta Buenaventura Sayoc & De Los Angeles' intellectual property team advises on the application, enforcement and licensing of trade marks, patents and copyrights. The team is particularly active in technology matters, advising on domain names, electronic commerce, cyberspace, and software issues.
Agcaoili & Associates
Agcaoili & Associates advises on a range of intellectual property issues. Senior partner Evener Villasanta has decades of experience in the sector, and is supported by Enrique Parungo, who operates a broad practice that also includes banking and finance work.
Other key lawyers:
Belo Gozon Elma Parel Asuncion & Lucila
Belo Gozon Elma Parel Asuncion & Lucila assists national and international companies with the registration of trade marks and patents, in addition to various issues relating to copyrights. Roberto Parel and Maria Mesa are the key practitioners; both are familiar with the various registration requirements of the Intellectual Property Office.
Castillo Laman Tan Pantaleon & San Jose
Castillo Laman Tan Pantaleon & San Jose advises clients from a number of industries on a full range of intellectual property matters. On the trade mark side, the group advises on both registration and opposition, while also handling licensing and copyright and patent infringement.
The intellectual property department at Del Rosario & Del Rosario, led by Arturo Del Rosario Jr., advises a number of multinational technology companies on trade mark and design registrations. The team also handles enforcement issues.
Fortun Narvasa & Salazar
Fortun Narvasa & Salazar is particularly active in patents work, assisting technology companies throughout the entire process of drafting and registering their applications. The group also advises on trade mark issues, handling licensing and registration matters. Bayani Loste and Walter Robin C Go are the key contacts.
Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra assists clients from a number of sectors with trade mark application and enforcement issues. Building on its strong corporate and TMT practices, the firm frequently services clients from the IT, electric and electronic engineering sectors. Lucas Niccolo Cauton III leads the department and advises companies from the consumer goods sector on trade mark applications, while litigator Ramon Andre Cedro represents clients in contentious matters as part of his broad practice which spans both civil and criminal disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Sunnies by Charlie, Inc.
Regent Food Corporation
- Advised Sunnies by Charlie Inc. on a petition for cancellation of the trade mark “Metrosunnies”.
- Acted for Sunnies by Charlie Inc. on the registration of its “Sunnies Specs Kids” trade mark.
Gulapa & Quicho (Gulapa Law)'s intellectual property practice developed out of a need to service its corporate software clients, and it now advises a variety of companies from the technology, media and telecoms sectors on registering trade mark and patent applications. In addition, the group handles licensing, franchising and technology transfer agreements. Oliver Baclay, Jr, who practices both in the Philippines and New York, leads the team and works with companies to register and maintain their trade mark portfolios. Ray Maynard Bacus is the key contact at associate level.
Other key lawyers:
Phar Philippines, Inc.
Machuca Baldozas Inc.
APO-UGEC Security Printing Joint Venture (APO Production Unit, Inc. and United Graphic Expression Corporation)
Maria Francesca Tan (MFT) Group of Companies, Inc.
and Mondial Medical Technologies, Inc.
Phil Jacobe Ventures, Inc.
United Graphic Expression Corporation
- Advised APO Production Unit, Inc. (a state printer) and United Graphic Expression Corporation (a private company) on the implementation of their joint venture agreement to upgrade APO’s printing facility.
- Assisted Francorp with the preparation of franchise agreements for the latter’s clients.
- Assisted Phar Philippines, Inc. with the preparation of licensing agreements.
Poblador Bautista & Reyes
Poblador Bautista & Reyes handles the full range of intellectual property issues, advising national and international clients on trade mark, patent and copyright applications, maintenance and prosecution issues. The team, all of whom are litigation specialists, is particularly active in enforcement disputes, frequently assisting with investigations and raids of counterfeit goods. Gilbert Reyes leads the practice; his litigation expertise extends beyond intellectual property to construction, real estate and infrastructure. Brigitte da Costa Villaluz is also noted for prosecution work.
Other key lawyers:
Gaztransport et Technigaz
Nutri Asia, Inc.
Aviemore Holdings LLC
San Miguel Corporation
Ginebra San Miguel Inc.
Levi Strauss and Co.
Aboitiz Equity Ventures
Aboitiz Power Corporation
Aboitiz Land, Inc.
Pilmico Foods Corporation
Pilmico Animal Nutrition Corporation
Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation
NLEX Ventures Corp.
Lazada e-Services Philippines, Inc
- Advised Intel Corporation on the filing prosecution and maintenance of trade marks.
- Advised San Miguel Corporation and subsidiaries, particularly Ginebra San Miguel Inc on the enforcement of its trade marks.
- Advised Nutri-Asia, Inc. and its affiliate Aviemore Holdings LLC on the filing, prosecution and maintenance of trade marks in the Philippines and other countries.
Quiason Makalintal Barot Torres Ibarra Sison & Damaso
Quiason Makalintal Barot Torres Ibarra Sison & Damaso represents clients in all aspects of intellectual property, most notably patentability and infringement investigations; registration of property protection and patent and trade mark infringement litigation. Joel Espinueva leads the practice, which acts for companies from the clothing, entertainment, food and pharmaceutical industries.
Other key lawyers:
Although best known for its expertise in the shipping industry, VeraLaw (Del Rosario Raboca Gonzales Grasparil) also advises on trade mark and copyright protection and registration. Its diverse range of clients includes companies from the pharmaceutical, software, banking and fashion industries. Maria Theresa Gonzales and Daphne Ruby Grasparil are names to note.