Boutique firm Ada Alegre Consultores is led by pre-eminent Peruvian environmental lawyer Ada Alegre Chang, who is widely acknowledged for her experience and capability in the field. The firm is particularly favoured by public sector clients, such as local and national government bodies, but also has a large following among private companies from a range of sectors, especially the extractive industries. The firm is consulted on the environmental aspects of corporate transactions and infrastructure projects, as well as handling administrative and judicial proceedings, environmental management and impact reports, among other matters. Also worthy of mention is senior associate Rasul Camborda, who is known for his work in the environmental aspects of mining.
Environment in Peru
Ada Alegre Consultores
Miranda & Amado is a market-leader for all aspects of environmental advice, from complex advisory issues, permits and licensing to corporate support, major infrastructure projects and sanctioning proceedings. It's specialist team is consistently praised by clients for being proactive, responsive, knowledgeable and able to 'develop the best strategies’. Practice head Alberto Delgado has over 20 years' experience and leads three focused associates, including senior Alberto Ventura, who is 'attentive and immediately available’. The practice also benefits from the overlap expertise of top projects partner Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis and disputes leading light Mauricio Raffo. A stellar client list includes: Engie Energía Perú (GDF Suez Group), Repsol Exploración Perú and Transportadora de Gas del Perú.
‘Always available, they consider the client’s suggestions and business experience and combine it with the team’s legal knowledge to develop the best strategies.’
‘They give personalised advice, they always send the information well in advance and follow up. It is not necessary that the client is requesting information since they are very responsible. It is easy to coordinate meetings, calls, etc. They build trust.’
‘They have a lot of experience in environmental matters, they attend to us without delay and it is easy to manage work meetings with them outside or within the company. In these aspects the service is better than with other firms.’
‘They give us permanent attention and control of the procedures, so we do not need to call them to remind them of compliance with deadlines and procedures. They deliver the resources and documents on the date they offer, avoiding having to act at the last minute.’
‘The team is quite proactive to our needs which are of an environmental nature.’
‘Responsive, and conduct safe procedures to obtain favourable results. Alberto Ventura is attentive and immediately availabile.’
Engie Energía Perú (GDF Suez Group)
Repsol Exploración Perú
Refinería La Pampilla
Transportadora de Gas del Perú
Great Panther Coricancha
Corporación de Ingeniería de Refrigeración – COINREFRI
- Advises Engie Energía Perú on all its environmental management instruments and permits, as well as water rights’ matters related to its water supply systems, discharge of liquid effluents and obtaining and managing other environmental government approvals required for the execution and operation of its hydroelectric and thermoelectric generation plants.
- Acting for Transportadora de Gas del Perú (TGP) on its compliance with environmental commitments and legal provisions during the operation of its hydrocarbon transportation system pipeline, Sistema de Transporte de Hidrocarburos por Ductos (STD), as well as advising the company on sanctioning administrative proceedings initiated by OEFA (Agency for Environmental Assessment and Enforcement).
- Acted for Great Panther on the due diligence on all environmental and regulatory matters related to its execution of a mining option agreement to acquire a 100% interest in the Coricancha mining project; and continuing to advise on environmental commitments, including sanctioning administrative procedures, as the new title holder.
- Representing Repsol Exploración Perú on all matters related to compliance with environmental commitments and legal provisions during operations within Block 57, as well as advising on several sanctioning administrative proceedings initiated by OEFA.
A long-term pacesetter in this discipline, Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados continues to be a dominant force, serving its extensive energy and mining client base with all their environmental law needs, contentious and advisory. A specialist environment subgroup, led by leading practitioner Francisco Tong, sits within the firm's top-tier energy and natural resources team, which is steered by the pre-eminent Luis Carlos Rodrigo Prado, providing clients with a streamlined offering. The in-demand team has expanded at associate level with two new recruits, while other lead advisors to mention include: Jenny Caldas, who is client partner to Repsol, CNPC and Perú LNG; and counsel Úrsula Zavala, a specialist in environmental and natural resources law.
‘They have a lot of knowledge and total efficiency, in addition to full availability for answering questions and especially solutions in the face of difficulties.’
‘The highights are their knowledge of the matter, availability and comprehensive solutions; they present us with alternatives with a risk and mitigating matrix.’
Anglo American Peru
Southern Peru Copper
Minera Barrick Misquichilca
Pan American Silver
Shell Operaciones Perú
China National Petroleum Company (CNPC)
- Acting for Anglo American Quellaveco / Anglo American Peru on the environmental aspects of the development and construction of its $4bn Project Quellavec mine,; as well as the approval of an environmental impact statement for its Almira mining exploration project by the Ministry of Energy and Mines.
- Representing China National Petroleum Company (CNPC) in sanctioning administrative proceedings initiated by the Environmental Control Agency (OEFA) regarding CNPC’s activities in Block X.
- Providing environmental counselling to the Peruvian Exportation Association (ADEX) on forestry policies and exportation activities, as part of ADEX’s consultations with the State government. To date, the work has resulted in the approval of new regulations by the Forestry Authority regarding the traceability of forestry timber products from felling through to their commercialisation so as to verify legal origin.
- Representing Terminales del Peru (TDP) in several sanctioning administrative proceedings initiated by the Environmental Control Agency (OEFA) and advising on ongoing environmental compliance in relation to its hydrocarbon activities.
CMS Grau stands out in the market for its dedicated environmental practice, servicing the firm's large mining and energy client list as well as major players from across a broader industrial spread, including Kimberly-Clark and Arca Continental Lindley (bottler of The Coca-Cola Company). It offers a pioneering software solution for environmental and multidisciplinary compliance - 'GEORGE' - which is being used by clients such as AB InBev and Pan American Silver. The team is led by environmental law specialist, Vito Verna who is prased for his 'high management capacity, good availability and attention to requirements'.
‘The versatility of its members and their disposition at all times are strong points. Also, their knowledge of field issues in industrial, mining and hydrocarbon operations is not limited to what is stated as the norm.’
‘They have a meticulous knowledge of the regulations and are always up to date. Not only do they inform about the new regulations, they anticipate the client and, knowing their reality, they give their opinion regarding the issue. Probably the best team in environmental matters and have extensive experience in the mining sector.’
‘Demonstrate empathy with the client: they have a deep understanding of the reality and functioning of the mining industry and they seek to gain an in-depth understanding of the client’s operations and practices.’
‘With CMS Grau we have a contractual link that allows us to use regulatory updates and legal information, in addition to serving as support for queries. I think the CMS Grau team compares favourably with other law firms.’
‘Vito Verna is the lawyer with whom we maintain direct and continuous contact. He is an attentive professionals who responds promptly to our requirements and promptly follows-up on assignments until their completion.’
‘They know our operations at an adequate level and the environmental legislation in great detail, which allows them to make precise recommendations about our legal obligations and their compliance. The lawyers with whom I have had most contact are: Vito Verna – high management capacity, good availability and attention to requirements; Mauricio Black – has a good level of technical knowledge, which allows him to relate legal obligations to what is observed in the field; Víctor La Madrid – has good knowledge of environmental legislation and is very didactic in his explanations.’
Compañía De Minas Buenaventura
Arca Continental Lindley
Pan American Silver
Sociedad Nacional De Minería, Petróleo y Energía
Minera Las Bambas
TERPEL (Empresa De Distribución De Hidrocarburos)
COGA (Camisea Pipeline Operator (TGP))
Anglo American (Mina Quellaveco)
Compañía Minera Antamina
AB Inbev (Backus Perú Y Bavaria En Colombia)
Minera Bateas (Fortuna Silver Mines)
Hudbay Minerals (Mina Constancia)
- Advising clients AB InBev and Pan American Silver on the integration of the CMS Grau ‘GEORGE’ compliance legaltech system, encompassing environmental, health and safety and other regulations into one monitoring system.
- Acting for Arca Continental Lindley on all its environmental advisory needs and its defence in disciplinary administrative procedures initiated by Environmental Enforcement Agency, OEFA.
- Advising Kimberly-Clark on the environmental aspects of its two large-scale production plants, including a corrective action plan to optimise its environmental compliance system.
Delapuente is a boutique well known for its substantial experience in environmental law and practice. Much of its stand-out reputation centres around founding partner Lorenzo De La Puente, who has been splitting his time between the firm and a role as director of corporate, social and environmental matters at Minera Zafranal for the last few years, but returned to full-time private practice in June 2020. The firm is a favoured choice for companies with both contentious and advisory environmental needs. Additional key advisers are Luzmila Zegarra, who specialises in environmental and health and safety law, and Nicole Freire, who acts for companies in the mining, energy, manufacturing and agro-industry sectors.
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International draws together its strong energy, mining and public law teams to provide a robust and knowledgeable environmental law offering. In particular, the firm has expertise in climate change, forestry, agriculture and energy, and is assisting the Ministry of Environment and the Environmental Peruvian Law Society on the promotion of biodiversity conservation. Mining partner Valentin Paniagua Jara and high-profile public law specialist Jorge Danós provide partner leadership, but 'outstanding’ associate Alexandra Carranza Bendezu is the specialist, 'highlighted for her technical knowledge and skills.'
‘They have real knowledge of environmental issues, useful not only for managing our operations and environmental management licences or instruments, but also facilitating relationships with international and local financial entities to obtain loans or lines of credit and the legal proceedings with the other legal firms of the banks.’
‘They are proactive attorneys who provide solutions that are not based on saying the things that one cannot do. They always propose solutions and lines of work action that are achievable and with a certain prognosis. The outstanding advisers are Alexandra Carranza Bendezu and Jorge Danós.’
‘Solid basis of the environmental legal concepts and laws. Compares favourably with other teams.’
‘Alexandra Carranza Bendezu is highlighted for her technical knowledge and skills.’
Ministry of the Environment
Anglo American Quellaveco
Volcán Compañía Minera
Metro de Lima Linea 2
BHP Billiton Group
Pollination Capital Partners
Green Gold Forestry Peru
Organismo de Evaluacion y Fiscalización Ambiental – OEFA
Compañia Minera Santa Ines y Morococha
Compañía Minera Katanga
- Acting for Anglo American Quellaveco in judicial proceedings initiated by the Water Users Board of Tambo, challenging the the validity of the resolution issued by the National Water Authority that certified water availability for the Quellaveco mining project.
- Advising Volcán Compañía Minera on the water and environmental management matter related to Huacracocha Lake and the effluents derived from the Huacracocha pithead.
- Advising the Ministry of Environment and the Environmental Peruvian Law Society on the preparation of guidelines and administrative procedures for the implementation of financial mechanisms to promote biodiversity conservation.
Fielding a strong, specialist team in this arena, Hernández & Cía. Abogados has an extensive caseload of compliance, regulatory, transactional and enforcement matters. It has earned a particularly strong following among mining companies, such as Rio Tinto Mining and Exploration, Compañía Minera San Valentín and Compañía Minera Antamina, but also acts for a broader range of industrial producers and manufacturers, including plum client Procter & Gamble Perú. Deep expertise at the firm is provided by three experienced partners in Luis Felipe Huertas del Pino, Miyanou Dufour and Luis Rodríguez-Mariátegui . Support comes from a large team of associates, among whom senior associates Juan Pablo Macassi (who specialises in mining and environmental matters); and Lorena Tanji (who handles environmental matters as part of a broader corporate practice), are both noted.
Nexa Resources Peru
Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation/World Wildlife Fund
Clarios Andina (Peru)
Compañía Minera San Valentín
Compañía Minera Antamina
Rio Tinto Mining and Exploration
Gold Fields La Cima
Procter & Gamble Perú
Terminal Internacional del Sur
- Acting for Nexa Resources Peru, Nexa Resources El Porvenir, Minera Pampa de Cobre and Nexa Resources Atacocha, on an environmental compliance mandate -awarded via competitive pitch- and involving the audit of five mines and a refinery located in Peru.
- Advised Compañía Minera San Valentin on the legal and regulatory implications of its Mine Closure Plan for the Minera San Antonio de Silver minerals beneficiation plant.
- Advising Procter & Gamble Peru on ongoing environmental issues relating to its operations, including the management of solid and hazardous waste.
Launched in November 2019, environmental law boutique Li & Pazos Abogados is a spin-off incorporated by the highly praised team formerly at Lazo & De Romaña. The new firm has hit the ground running, with an extensive client list including heavyweight companies in the natural resources and energy sectors, as well as a healthy array from other industries, and a busy caseload of advisory and administrative defence proceedings. Indeed, the team also assists full-service law firms that need additional resources and capability, particularly in matters related to water regulation, where the team has particular niche expertise. 'Outstanding and trustworthy’, Julián Li is an 'expert in water law’; '100% assertive and committed to the client's case', fellow partner Juan Manuel Pazos handles all aspects of advisory and regulatory environmental matters. Their four associates include Ernesto Soto and Sandra Bravo, who are singled out for praise by clients; and the team can call on white-collar crime and compliance partner Fernando Ikehara Véliz, as required, for contentious issues.
‘Although it is a somewhat young independent firm, we know the professionalism of the team, which compares in a superior way with other firms within its specialty. For some years we have had the advice of Juan Manuel Pazos , Julián Li and Ernesto Soto, who have successfully advised our company in procedures involving regulatory bodies. We are satisfied with its performance. The qualities that we highlight are the close attention of our matters, their proven knowledge of the subject and the efficiency and proactivity in their work.’
‘It is a legal boutique with a very personalised and efficient service. Their work is results oriented. Juan Manuel Pazos and Julián Li are expert lawyers and highly trained in their respective disciplines. They offer the quality of large law firms but with better rates.’
‘Julián Li‘s team is pro-active and knowledgeable in their area, especially in water and environmental issues. Julián Li and Juan Manuel Pazos stand out; for the work we have commissioned we have always achieved the objectives set.’
‘What makes this practice unique is the fact that they are very focused on water issues and they have hands-on experience. The diference with competitors is that they are a boutique law firm specialised in water issues, and provide a very personalised service. The key person who provides us with services is Julián Li.’
‘The environmental team of Li & Pazos Abogados, led by the outstanding and trustworthy Julián Li, is characterised by the personalised treatment we receive. They spare no effort to know in detail the problem, and liaise with the client before proposing an effective solution in the applicable legal framework and in accordance with corporate policies. We recommend Julián Li, team leader, for making the maximum effort personally and professionally, bringing commitment to the client team, so that the legal result offered meets our expectations. In his team, Sandra Bravo is a young lawyer with good environmental knowledge and with potential in water resources issues.’
‘The work they did for us was unique because we required the opinion of an environmental lawyer (in matters of water) who meets two conditions: (i) that he is a recognised specialist and (ii) that he has the special recognition of the officials of the National Water Authority. Julián Li meets both conditions (like no one else in the market) and that is why his opinion was of great value to our client. Julián Li is an expert in water law and that was the reason why I recommended the hiring of Li & Pazos Abogados.’
‘They suggest successful strategies to deal with the issues and the firm coordinates properly with the client to go in the same direction towards the final objective. Juan Manuel Pazos is 100% assertive and committed to the client’s case; Julián Li is very knowledgeable on the subject; Ernesto Soto is fully committed to the client.’
Refinería La Pampilla (subsidiary of REPSOL)
Unión de Cervecerías Peruanas Backus y Johnston (InBev)
Hunt Oil Company of Peru
Lima Airport Partners
Compañía Minera Hampton
Compañía Minera Zafranal
Inland Energy (Luz del Sur)
Empresa Minera Los Quenuales
Minera Argentum (Subsidiary of Pan American Silver)
Agrícola Santa Azul
- Advised Lima Airport Partners, the concessionaire for the capital’s Jorge Chavez International Airport, on the approval of the first technical report (ITS) regarding the airport’s expansion.
- Assisted Compañía Minera Zafranal obtain the environmental and water permits required for the baseline of its Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the development of the $1.1bn Zafranal mining project.
- Successfully defended oil and gas company Refinería La Pampilla, a subsidiary of Repsol, in two cases before the Environmental Enforcement Agency (OEFA), concerning water quality standards, the management of hazardous waste and other issues.
The environmental practice at Rubio Leguía Normand is differentiated by a diverse client base which demonstrates the firm's versatility in this field. Clients range from the energy, mining, construction, manufacturing and hotel and leisure sectors, and - impressively - includes the Amancae consortium, awarded the concession for the expansion of Lima Jorge Chavez International Airport, which the firm is advising on all environmental impact issues. The team boasts considerable depth and includes mining partners Xennia Forno and Diego Grisolle, stand-out senior associate Miguel Angel Soto and fellow experienced associate Nancy Ogata.
‘I consider it to be a highly qualified team, due to the fact that they have extensive experience in advising a variety of clients on environmental matters.’
‘Experience and readiness to meet the needs of their customers are the characteristics that we appreciate, especially the work of Miguel Angel Soto.’
FCC and Salini Impregilo
Cerámica San Lorenzo
Energy Development Corporation
Hoteles Costa del Sol
Anglo American/Anglo American Quellaveco/Anglo American Perú
- Advised the Amancae consortium, comprising FCC Construccion and Salini Impregilo, on the environmental, regulatory and social aspects of its expansion of Lima’s Jorge Chavez International Airport.
- Performing a 2019 internal audit on environmental and regulatory matters on behalf of Anglo American Quellaveco, for its Quellaveco project.
- Defending Frontera Energy, operator of crude oil production concession Block 192, on over 20 administrative and judicial proceedings relating to environmental and technical issues.
Fabiola Capurro Abogados
The March 2020 departure of former practice head Fabiola Capurro from Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uria to establish eponymous boutique Fabiola Capurro Abogados has brought a new player to the market. While it remains to be seen how the nacent firm develops, Capurro herself is a key practitioner in the sector, with over 20 years dedicated to environmental matters, including extensive public-sector experience at entities such as the national environmental council, CONAM, and the Ministries of Health, and Energy and Mining, as well as over a decade in private practice. While much of the firm's initial work has related to the agricultural sector, Capurro's environmental expertise also ranges across the mining, energy, manufacturing industry and petrochemical sectors, along with real estate and infrastrucutre project development matters. Typical mandates include audits, licensing and compliance, environmental strategy and representation in environmental enforcement proceedings.
‘I consider the environmental law area, led by Fabioa Capurroto be very good, it has good professionals who know the matter and above all, know how to provide legal solutions efficiently.‘
‘I recommend Fabiola Capurro.’
Inversiones Santa Regina
Agrícola San Jose
Aeropuertos del Perú
Grupo Klaus Brass
- Ongoing advice to agricultural group Inversiones Santa Regina regarding environmental compliance, impact assessment approvals, the company’s global strategy for license regularisation regarding water usage, and procedures related to water and forestry/fauna agencies ANA and SERFOR.
- Ongoing advice to domestic airport operator Aeropuertos del Perú regarding environmental compliance -particularly water usage and disposal, and solid-waste storage and management- as well as on the modfication of its environmental adaptation and management plan (PAMA), before the Ministry of Transport and Communications, among other matters
García Sayán Abogados
García Sayán Abogados’ traditional strength in mining and energy has ensured its development of a credible environmental law offering over the years, as evidenced by its extensive client list. The firm advises on all aspects of environmental issues, from audits and corporate support through to sanctioning administrative proceedings and judicial litigation. Practice co-head Alberto Varillas is a specialist in oil-and-gas and environment law, while fellow co-head Edgardo Portaro, who joined from mining company Nyrstar in April 2019, leads on the corporate-support side. The team also expanded at associate level during 2019, hiring Jose Castillo from Environmental Enforcement Agency, OEFA.
‘García Sayán Abogados has accompanied us throughout an environmental inspection process, in which we have been able to demonstrate that we operate responsibly and in accordance with current environmental legislation. One of its main advantages is that lawyers there have been part of the Peruvian State government, and know about internal management.’
‘They are committed professionals with experience in the public sector, which I consider a plus when intervening on issues with the environmental inspector.’
Volcán Compañía Minera
Compañía de Minas Buenaventura
Minera Aurífera Retamas
Sociedad Minera El Brocal
Procesadora de Gas Pariñas
Graña y Montero Petrolera
Compañía Aceros Arequipa
Schlumberger del Perú
Gate Gourmet Perú
Frontera Energy del Perú (formerly Pacific Stratus Energy del Perú)
Consorcio Energético de Huancavelica
- Acting for Minera Aurífera Retamas, owner of the Cerro El Gigante mining site, on its environmental matrix – a review and update of all its environmental obligations and commitments for the operation of its mining units.
- Successfully represented Industrias Cachimayo in three out of four administrative sanctioning procedures before the Environmental Enforcement Agency, OEFA, which followed a monitoring visit in 2018, thereby reducing the company’s fine by 98%.
A spin-off from leading energy firm Santiváñez Abogados, new natural resources and environmental boutique Kahatt Abogados has a strong pedigree. Founding partner Karim Kahatt is a leading professional in the environmental law arena, and took four associates with him on departure, including the experienced Cecilia Azerrad who becomes a partner at the new firm. The team is well-versed in environmental due diligence, compliance, projects (permits strategy design, determination of competent jurisdiction, environmental clearance) and has traditionally handled a heavy load of environmental administrative litigation.
Centro de investigación y Tecnología del Agua – UTEC
Auryn Mining Exploration Group
El Dorado Resources
Battery One Royalties
- Acting for national construction steel manufacturer Sider Perú on all its environmental, and health and safety compliance, matters and the defence of environmental enforcement proceedings
- Advising Invicta Mining Corporation on all its environmental matters, including amendments and implementation of its final closure plan for one of its mining projects.
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados advises clients from sectors of high environmental impact, such as energy, mining, hydrocarbons, manufacturing and fishing. Its comprehensive offering includes compliance, sanctioning proceedings, licensing and permits, and corporate support, where practice head Renato De Vettori has deep expertise. He is supported by a team of associates among whom Milagros Mejía stands out for her experience.
Estudio Olaechea specialises in the environmental aspects of corporate transactions and infrastructure projects, particularly in the mining, port and energy sectors, as well as general advisory and compliance. Experienced and versatile partner José Antonio Honda heads a team of associates that was boosted by the arrival of energy regulatory specialist Licy Benzaquén from Santiváñez Abogados in January 2020. APM Terminals Callao is a key client of the practice, while client gains during the past year include: CAT Rail / Bucyrus, China Gezhouba Group Company and S&L Andes Export.
American Bankers Insurance Company
CAT Rail / Bucyrus
APM Terminals Callao
TDM Geosinteticos y TDM
S&L Andes Export
China Gezhouba Group Company
- Advising APM Terminals Callao, the concessionaire and operator of Terminal Norte Multipropósito (TNM) located in the Callao Port Terminal, on the environmental authorisations required to refurbish Pier 7.
- Advising American Bankers Insurance Company on a review of regulatory and environmental matters applicable to the management and disposal of electronic devices in relation to a re-insurance service.
A comprehensive offering at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados includes environment audits, compliance strategies, transactional support and defence of administrative, civil and criminal complaints. It is also strong in representing banks and financial institutions on the assessment of environmental and social risks related to finance transactions and has niche expertise in sustainable banking topics. Lead adviser and practice co-head, counsel Vanessa Chávarry, has broad expertise and manages the day-to-day advisory work, assisted by three associates. Corporate and mining lawyer José Cúneo provides partner support if needed.
‘They have a very well structured team which will converse with other areas of the firm and they are well organised.’
Vale Exploration Perú
Tecnológica de Alimentos
RP Global Perú and group companies
LATAM Airlines Peru
Corporación Peruana de Productos Químicos
Banco de Crédito del Perú/Credicorp Capital Financial Services
- Advising Vale Exploration Perú on environmental and social issues regarding the required permits and compliance for their exploratory mining projects throughout Peru.
- Acting for LATAM Airlines Peru with regard to an environmental audit of its facilities; as well as ongoing advice on the environmental impact of its development of activities.