Specialist environmental law boutique Ada Alegre Consultores is well known and respected in the market for advising on both contentious and non-contentious environmental matters. Ada Alegre Chang is the key contact and founding partner of the firm; she specialises in the mining, hydrocarbons and agriculture sectors, and also advises on issues relating to major infrastructure projects. Betty Suasnabar is a key associate.
Environment in Peru
Ada Alegre Consultores
Ada Alegre Chang
Hernández & Cía is noted for its ‘specialised knowledge of mining environmental legislation’. Beyond the mining industry, the team is also active in the oil and gas, electricity, real estate, and food and drink sectors. On the non-contentious side, it handles a range of regulatory work, including compliance, permitting, licensing and assistance with audits, and the practice is also well versed in M&A and financing-related environmental matters, as well as sanctioning procedures brought by administrative bodies. Luis Rodríguez-Mariátegui, Luis Felipe Huertas Del Pino and Miyanou Dufour head the practice, with Huertas bringing considerable experience in regulatory and environmental compliance matters to the team, with a focus on mining projects, and Dufour specialising in permitting, operational matters, environmental obligations and administrative procedures, with a particular focus on the mining sector. Senior associate Juan Pablo Macassi advises on administrative, mining and environmental law.
Luis Rodríguez-Mariátegui; Luis Felipe Huertas del Pino; Miyanou Dufour
‘Specialised knowledge of mining environmental legislation.’
‘They are kept up to date with the precedents of previous cases resolved by the authorities and apply it to our cases.’
‘Their opinions and recommendations are timely and within the required timeframes.’
‘The firm has specialised professionals to evaluate the case in its entire context in order to have a comprehensive opinion.’
Compañía Minera Antamina
Compañía Minera Antapaccay
Rio Tinto Mining and Exploration
Rio Tinto Minera Minera Perú Limitada
Compañía Minera Raura
Gold Fields La Cima
Celeo Redes (via Santa Barbara Consultants)
Depósitos Químicos Mineros
- Alongside Santa Barbara Consultants, performed a technical and legal gap analysis between the IFC Performance Standards and the Peruvian EHS regulations applicable to transmission lines for Celeo Redes, a Spanish energy company.
- Advised Compañía Minera Antamina during the socio-environmental audit conducted by OEFA in relation to operations conducted during the period 2019-2021.
- Advised Hudbay Peru on the approval procedure of an environmental license (the third modification to the EIA).
Miranda & Amado handles the gamut of environmental work, including due diligence in M&A, and financing, regulatory matters and litigation. The department is particularly active in the projects space, where it advises clients on land management issues, including water rights, permitting, natural reserves and zoning. The team is led by Alberto Delgado, who is an expert in corporate matters in the oil and gas, mining and infrastructure sectors. Alberto Ventura was promoted to partner in January 2023 and acts for on mining, energy, agriculture and infrastructure clients in the acquisition of environmental licenses, authorisations and permits from state entities. Luzmila Zegarra joined as counsel from a freelance role in March 2022 and acts for foreign and domestic clients in permitting, sanctioning and judicial administrative procedures.
‘We have full confidence in the performance and knowledge of Luzmila Zegarra. She provides very fast and quality work that is normally not that easy to get compared to other firms.’
‘They have Luzmila Zegarra on their team, a lawyer with extensive knowledge of regulations and mining companies. She always has a very complete vision of environmental regulations and always provides solutions.’
‘They have shown to be more analytical and in-depth in their analysis, which has allowed them to provide greater alternatives and solution approaches to their clients. I can name Alberto Ventura.’
‘The team led by Alberto Ventura knows well the operations of the company and the sectoral regulation that applies to it. Their knowledge and willingness to provide legal advice make them important points of support and consultation for us both in matters of daily operations and in complex events and situations. The team is young and with a good disposition and preparation for legal advice.’
‘Alberto Ventura and Sandra Lock have an empathetic personality with lawyers and non-lawyers in the assignments we work with, this stands out. They also have the ability to respond to inquiries promptly.’
Engie Energía Perú
Repsol Exploración Perú, Sucursal del Perú
Ambipar Environment (former Gestión de Servicios Ambientales)
Refinería La Pampilla
Transportadora de Gas del Perú
Great Panther Coricancha
Operadora Ecológica del Titicaca
Minera Las Bambas
Grupo Compañía de Minas Buenaventura
Enel Distribución Perú
Inversiones Peruanas Ñaña en Liquidación
Compañía Nacional de Chocolates de Perú
- Advised Refinería La Pampilla on several administrative sanctioning proceedings initiated by OEFA and other government agencies alleging non-compliance with environmental regulations while operating the oil refinery La Pampilla.
- Advising Navisan Perú on its Pucusana Port Terminal Project involving compliance with the current environmental legal framework in force.
- Advising Proyecto Ventanilla on environmental matters related to the future implementation of an industrial and logistics project requiring compliance with the environmental provisions of the legal framework.
Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano Abogados offers broad environmental expertise in relation to litigation, transactional and regulatory matters under the leadership of Francisco Tong. It is particularly well versed in matters relating to water, sewage, solid wastes, plastic use, natural protected areas and environmental quality standards. Tong has notable experience in permitting, licensing and matters relating to climate change and recycling, and counts on strong support from Jenny Caldas, who advises on regulatory and environmental issues in the hydrocarbons sector and represents clients before regulatory bodies, such as the Agency for Environmental Assessment and Enforcement (OEFA). Counsel Úrsula Zavala is a key name for water resources and sanitation matters, and issues relating to the carbon market, while Diego Pachas, who was recently promoted to partner, is recommended for health and safety and environmental matters relating to the mining industry.
Compañía Minera Antamina
Minera Barrick Peru
Repsol Exploración Perú, Sucursal del Perú (REPSOL)
China National Petroleum Company (CNPC)
Minera Forrester Peru
Compañía Minera Raura
Panamerican Silver Corp
Anglo American Quellaveco
Sociedad Agrícola Drokasa
Minera Barrick Peru
- Advising Compañía Minera Antamina on the approval of the second amendment of the Environmental Impact Statement (MEIA) of the Antamina Mining Unit to extend its mining operations in Peru.
- Advising Repsol Exploración Perú (REPSOL) on several sanctioning administrative proceedings and some administrative measures initiated or issued by OEFA regarding oil activities in Block 57 and Block 101.
- Advising CBC Peruana Food on environmental and water matters relating to the purchase of an industrial plant for the bottling of beverages.
The environmental law team at CMS Grau is particularly strong in non-contentious matters, including compliance, regulatory matters and permitting, and acts for an array of high-profile multinational clients, with a focus on the energy, aviation, mining, hydrocarbons, chemical, industrial and fishing sectors. First developed 19 years ago, the firm’s GEORGE software facility advises clients on compliance and risk management and many of the firm’s key clients subscribe to the product. Practice head Vito Verna is experienced in environmental regulations and social conflicts relating to environmental matters, while associate Víctor La Madrid has over 10 years’ experience in environmental and administrative law. Senior associate Nicole Freire left the firm in February 2023.
‘They provide personalised attention.’
‘Immediate and direct attention.’
‘Solid and detailed knowledge of environmental and regulatory legislation.’
‘Excellent team, extensive experience in environmental issues.’
‘The attorneys have full command of the environmental issues of the oil and gas industry.’
Compañía De Minas Buenaventura
Arca Continental Lindley
Kimberly & Clark
Pan American Silver
Minera Las Bambas (MMG Limited)
Compañía Minera Antamina
Lima Airport Partners (LAP)
Tecnológica De Alimentos (TASA)
Weir Minerals Perú
Compañía Minera Kollpa
Compañía Minera Zafranal
Empresa Generadora Huallaga
Gases Del Pacífico
Terminales Del Perú
Owens Illinois (O-I Glass)
- Developed GEORGE, a management system for compliance and identification in real time, of the legal requirements that productive economic activities must comply with.
- Advising Corporación Lindley on water resources, environmental responsibility, sanctioning procedures, execution of closure plans for industrial plants, and other matters.
- Advising Kimberly & Clark on the identification of legal requirements to systematise and update the client on a monthly basis, both in terms of environment and health and safety in the workplace.
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
The environment and climate change practice at Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International is part of the firm’s wider natural resources department, which also encompasses mining, hydrocarbons, fishing and agriculture. In addition to corporate and financing-related environment work, the firm also advises on risk management, the circular economy, water use, waste management and chemicals. The group is jointly led by Valentín Paniagua, Jorge Danós and Ina María Drago, with Paniagua a key name for environment-related commercial, regulatory, corporate and litigation matters and Danós bringing 30 years of experience in administrative and judicial processes to the team. Drago, meanwhile, is recommended for corporate matters pertaining to the natural resources sector, as well as permitting, licensing and water issues. Nicole Freire joined as senior associate from CMS Grau in February 2023, while in March of the same year, Alexandra Carranza Bendezu left for an in-house role at Verra.
Valentín Paniagua; Jorge Danos; Ina María Drago
Corporación Peruana de Productos Químicos – QROMA
Pollination Law Pty
Total Nature Based Solutions
Anglo American Quellaveco
Volcan Compañía Minera
Nexa Resources Atacocha
Shell International Exploration and Production
Olympic Perú Inc. Sucursal del Perú
Samsung Electronics Peru
A.P. Møller – Mærsk
Metro de Lima Linea 2
Parque Fotovoltaico Iquitos
Infraestructuras y Energias del Peru
Banco Internacional del Perú – Interbank
Banco BBVA Perú
Corporación Interamericana de Inversiones (BID Invest)
Amec Foster Wheeler Perú
Fundacion Sustentabilidad Sin Fronteras
Fortescue Metals Group
- Advised Bregal Investments, an international private equity firm, in connection with a majority investment and strategic partnership with PUR Projet, a certified B Corp.
- Prepared a legal opinion for Shell in connection with the feasibility of funding a REDD+ project located in the Peruvian Amazon.
- Advised Innova in connection with a sanctioning procedure initiated by OEFA on the grounds of potential infringements to the environmental obligations established in the Environmental Impact Assessment approved for the El Zapallal landfill.
Natural resources and environmental regulation boutique Kahatt Abogados is well known in the market for its advice on environmental and corporate risks, including occupational health and safety matters, and corporate, labour and commercial issues. It is active in a broad range of sectors, including agriculture, forestry, electricity, hydrocarbons, mining and construction, to name a few, and the team is jointly led by Karim Kahatt and Cecilia Azerrad. On the regulatory side, the practice is known for legal environmental due diligence reviews, compliance and permitting, and on the contentious side, it is experienced in environmental administrative litigation. Kahatt is a veteran practitioner with 25 years of experience in civil, administrative and corporate law both domestically and internationally. Azerrad also has international experience and has been working in the environmental field for 15 years. Senior associates José Vergara and Boris Pacheco are also noted.
Karim Kahatt; Cecilia Azerrad
University of Engineering and Technology – UTEC
- Advised Perupetro on regulatory matters.
- Advised DAI Global on its participation in the PREVENIR Project, which included analysis of the legal framework that regulates the environmental compensation and other investment mechanisms in Peru.
- Advised the University of Engineering and Technology – UTEC on the required environmental permits needed to begin construction and the steps to follow to comply with the amendment of the environmental management instrument.
Pazos Ikehara is a boutique firm whose practitioners have a strong track record in the environmental arena, with some drawing on former in-house experience at Peruvian regulatory agencies such as the Ministry of Mines, the National Water Authority and OEFA. The practice is active in the mining, energy, transportation, agriculture and consumer manufacturing sectors and advises clients on permitting, environmental impact assessments, regulatory inspections, sanctioning procedures, permitting, and commercial and criminal litigation. Juan Manuel Pazos heads the practice and is a key name for compliance and environmental matters relating to corporate and finance transactions, as well as sanctioning procedures brought by OEFA, while Álvaro Palao Carrera is a notable practitioner for disputes, including arbitration and judicial proceedings pertaining to civil, commercial, administrative and constitutional matters. Strong associate support is provided by Ernesto Soto, who is experienced in investment-related environment work and litigation. Julian Li left in August 2022.
Juan Manuel Pazos
‘Juan Manuel Pazos has shown great knowledge, experience and speed in giving us an accurate response in relation to the queries made.’
‘They have advised us with a broad, practical and executive vision.’
‘Good analysis of the cases and accurate assessments.’
Lima Airport Partners
Compañía Minera Santa Luisa
Unión De Cervecerías Peruanas Backus Y Johnston
Compania Minera Zafranal
Agrícola Santa Azul
American Quality Aquaculture
Quipu Alternative Investment
American Quality Aquaculture
Savar Corporación Logística
- Advised Lima Airport Partners on the approval of the second amendment to the environmental impact statement of the Jorge Chavez International Airport expansion project.
- Successfully defended Minera Santa Luisa in environmental sanctioning procedures before OEFA.
- Advised Hypermaercados Tottus on the defence of an administrative sanctioning procedure before OEFA.
Rubio Leguía Normand handles both contentious and non-contentious environmental issues for a broad range of clients, including those in the manufacturing, energy and natural resources sectors. It is adept at advising on the environmental risks relating to M&A, as well as project finance, permits and licenses for various projects, with a focus on air quality control, water rights, nature protection and hazardous waste management. Other areas of focus include commercial and legal support regarding Clean Development Mechanisms (CDM) and offset projects, as well as carbon finance structuring. Xennia Forno leads the practice and is well known for project development work, environmental litigation and compliance, while key practitioner Miguel Angel Soto is recommended for environmental issues pertaining to the renewable energy sector. Former practice co-head Diego Grisolle left in March 2023.
Energy Development Corporation
Cerámica San Lorenzo
Logistica Quimicos del Sur
Association of Cement Producers – ASOCEM
- Engaged by Sercosta to provide ongoing legal advice to ensure that its fishing processing activities are performed in compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
- Engaged by Olympic to provide ongoing legal advice services in relation to contentious issues, such as the defence of administrative complaints regarding environmental and technical issues in more than 10 proceedings.
- Advising Nexa Resources on more than 30 administrative sanctioning procedures before the Agency of Environmental Assessment and Enforcement Agency, relating to alleged non-compliance with environmental and social regulations.
Fabiola Capurro Abogados
Environmental and natural resources boutique Fabiola Capurro Abogados has a strong track record in environmental issues pertaining to the agriculture sector and is one of the first boutique law firms to measure and offset its greenhouse gas emissions. The team, which is led by Fabiola Capurro, has recently been advising on permitting, water issues and a number of administrative sanctioning procedures before OEFA; drawing on over 25 years of experience in the sector, Capurro is also recommended for environmental risk management and social responsibility issues. Other key sectors for the firm include mining, hydrocarbons, energy, commerce and aviation.
‘They provide a very agile and efficient service.’
‘They are cordial and willing to listen to the client’s position in order to understand the details, what worries us and what we want to achieve.’
‘They have an excellent response time and you could say that they are available 24/7.’
Pura Fruit Company
Desarrollo Fruticola Sudamericana
Aeropuertos del Perú
- Advised Alicorp on environmental and natural resources issues which arise as part of its operations in various facilities of the company.
- Advised Aeropuertos del Perú on compliance matters.
The environmental law practice at Estudio Olaechea is led by senior partner Jose Antonio Honda and has recently been advising several high-profile clients on water rights issues, an area of increasing importance in the country. It also offers notable expertise in permitting, regulatory and compliance matters, negotiations with indigenous communities and administrative procedures brought by regulators. Honda has a strong track record in environmental work relating to the infrastructure, mining, aquaculture, agriculture, and food and beverage sectors, while senior associate Ricardo Barrantes is a name to note for regulatory and government procurement matters.
José Antonio Honda
‘They were attentive to our requirements for information and analysis on certain Peruvian standards, in a timely and efficient manner.’
‘They have the knowledge of any large firm, but their service is special, they adapt to the client’s needs and have a quick and efficient response.’
‘Good distribution of their resources, accurate evidence to respond to sanctioning procedures, good communication with the company, probity, professionalism, punctuality and responsibility.’
‘Ursula Wismann: responsibility, professionalism, punctuality, empathy, kindness, transparency, proactivity, objectivity. Jose Antonio Honda: responsibility, professionalism, punctuality, leadership, transparency, objectivity. Ricardo Barrantes: responsibility, professionalism, kindness.’
Mar Andino Peru
- Advised APM Terminals Callao on environmental regulatory matters relating to its port infrastructure and operations in Callao.
- Advised Maersk Logistics on an environmental compliance audit.
- Advised La Grama on compliance issues relating to residual treatment.
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados‘ environmental practice is led by Vanessa Chávarry, who was promoted to partner in December 2022, and advises on both contentious and non-contentious environmental matters. The team is well versed in environmental compliance and has recently advised a number of high-profile clients on environmental audits, and provided representation to companies in administrative and criminal procedures. Chávarry is recommended for identifying social and environmental risks in financing transactions and for the management of social-environmental conflicts, particularly in the extractive industries.
‘Personalised attention and fast responses. Knowledge of the business.’
Credicorp Capital Financial Services
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Corporación Azucarera del Perú
Nexa Resources Perú
RP Global Peru
Compañía Minera Chungar
Flesan Gestión del Perú
Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice
- Advised Bosques Amazonicos on obtaining the Environmental Declaration of Ongoing Activities (DAAC) for its forestry plantations.
- Advised Banco de Crédito del Perú and Credicorp Capital Financial Services on the development and update of the environmental clauses of their loan agreements in compliance with Equator Principles 4 (EP4).
- Advised Casagrande on the development of a criminal, antitrust and environmental compliance programme to prevent risks of corruption, money laundering, financing of terrorism, antitrust and environmental offences.