Advokatfirmaet Schjødt is distinguished in the market by its client portfolio of leading multinational technology companies, including Facebook and Apple. The digital innovation, TMT and privacy team covers the full spectrum of mandates, and is known in particular for its work for media clients, and handling transactional and funding matters, and IP litigation. Corporate advisory work is also a mainstay of the practice. The practice is led jointly by the highly experienced Halvor Manshaus and Kaare Risung. Other key names include Tord Fondevik, whose clients include major technology companies, and media sector specialist Halvard Helle. Eva Jarbekk is the primary contact for privacy and data protection issues.
Firms in the Spotlight TMT
TMT in Norway
Halvor Manshaus; Kaare Risung
Other key lawyers:
Sigurd Holter Torp; Tord Fondevik; Eva Jarbekk; Hugo Berg Otterlei; Halvard Helle; Vidar Strømme
‘My experience is of one of their exceptional individual, Kaare Risung. He is highly professional, extremely intelligent, a remarkable team leader and team player.’
‘There is a wide range of competencies in the team. We are always directed to the one who is an expert on the topic we are asking for support in.’
‘Our main contact is Kaare Risung. He is easy to speak with, understands our topics easily, and has a positive attitude.’
Egmont, Including TV2
Aker BioMarine AS
The Norwegian Association of Editors
Verdens Gang AS (VG)
Strawberry Publishing AS
- Representing Apple in the Supreme Court in a trade mark case.
- Representing TV 2 and its editors in a comprehensive and high-profile libel action against a medical professional who claimed liability for damages and non-economic loss due to TV 2’s coverage of a medical research project he conducted at the University Hospital in Oslo.
- Representing Håkon Wium Lie in the Supreme Court in a freedom of speech and exchange of ideas case.
Advokatfirmaet Føyen Torkildsen AS has a strong profile nationally, acting for top clients in the fields of IT, privacy, telecoms and technology, with specialist knowledge in cloud services work. Recognised for its impressive roster of IT clients, the department regularly advises on bid processes and negotiations, and is increasingly involved in public sector procurements of IT services; data privacy work is another area of strength. Practice head Lars Folkvard Giske is highly active in drafting and negotiating IT contracts, while Arve Føyen specialises in outsourcing and software development contracts.
Lars Folkvard Giske
Other key lawyers:
Arve Føyen; Knut Glad; Jostein Ramse; Knut Fiane; Øyvind Eidissen Ransedokken
‘We needed a firm with strong legal skills, but an impeccable diplomatic approach to resolve our matter. We found it in Føyen Torkildsen. In addition, the Føyen Torkildsen team was also very responsive and quick with its turnaround time which was much appreciated. Further, although this was the first time we used this firm, they still treated us with complete respect as though we were a long-time client. It was a pleasure working with them.’
‘Jostein Ramse oversaw our matter in Norway and we could not have gotten through without him. He was highly knowledgeable, professional, appropriately aggressive, when needed and he spoke perfect English. As we would say in the US, Jostein was a complete “Pro”. I will use him in the future and highly recommend him to others.’
‘Our present engagements are within the fields of IT-contracts and privacy. The teams are highly skilled on both legal areas. I have been impressed about their knowledge of IT contract structures in general, and also with the practical sides of the engagements (negotiations in particular). The lawyers are very pleasant to work with, and fully understand the assignments they have been given.’
‘Lars Giske: I have been impressed by his work in relation to several engagements. He has considerable skill in drafting and negotiating IT-contracts and I find him as a very pleasant person who is liked by both client and counterparty. Very attentive and always delivering on time and with great skill. I am extremely happy to have Lars as our contact.’
‘Jostein Ramse is very thorough and skilful within the IT area and always makes himself available for his clients. Always delivers as agreed. Lars Folkvard Giske is very skilful within the SSA-contracts (government contracts) and has unique negotiation skills.’
Google LLC and Alphabet LLC
Statens Vegvesen, Vegdirektoratet (the Norwegian Roads Administration)
Fremtind Forsikring AS
Aera Payment & Identification AS
Itera Norge AS
Chili Mobil AS
Bouvet Norge AS
OneCo Telecom AS and OneCo Network AS
- Assisting Google with a broad spectrum of various TMT matters in Norway, as well as the establishment of a possible hyperscale data centre in Norway.
- Advising a top service provider on several large and complex IT services and BPO services agreements within and outside of Norway with contract value above NOK13bn.
- Supported KLP with procuring accounting software which is IFRS 17 compliant.
Regularly involved in market-leading work in the TMT space, Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS fields specialist practitioners with expertise across technology M&A, large-scale IT projects, digital media and telecoms issues, privacy and data protection work, new digital ventures and litigation. Department head Leif Eirik Thrane specialises in complex IT projects and M&A. Other key team members include Kari Gimmingsrud, who is an expert in data privacy, data protection and information security matters; and Andreas Bernt, whose practice focuses on IP and commercial issues related to media, telecoms and digitalisation projects. Technology specialist Arne Byberg and associate Isak Mendoza are other names to note.
Leif Eirik Thrane
Other key lawyers:
Kari Gimmingsrud; Andreas Bernt; Arne Byberg; Isak Mendoza; Magnus Melsom
‘We have had the pleasure of working with partner Arne Byberg from Haavind. He has provided great advice and guidance on IT-contracts and various general contractual matters. He stands out as a highly intelligent, competent, strategic lawyer who is also very pleasant to work with. Most certainly the best Norwegian IT lawyer we have met or engaged so far.’
‘The features that come to our mind in relation to Haavind are their extraordinary industry knowledge, their responsiveness and their problem-solving approach. Also that they are very useful and really skilful in negotiations.’
‘The partner we are working with mostly is Mr. Leif Thrane who is an excellent lawyer with deep industry knowledge. He is attentive, a problem solver and great fun to work with. All in all a true professional! The associate we are working with mostly is Magnus Melsom who is really a star in waiting. Great knowledge of the industry and his responsiveness is fantastic.’
‘The value and work from Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS has been outstanding in all matters. They have in-depth knowledge, understanding and experience in the industry and technology – and apply this is in an extraordinarily diligent manner. Their spirit and drive are highly positive, solution oriented and energetic – and they act with the highest degree of loyalty and trust. The team structure and leading partners (eg. Leif Thrane and Arne Byberg) are of true international calibre – carrying the new and in-depth understanding of the future technology, way of working and business logics – and transform this into true value-added services.’
‘I am extremely satisfied with the services and collaboration we get from our partner, Arne Byberg. Compared to all other law firms in my experience, Arne really stands out due to: his true international experience, in-depth domain knowledge and personal experience from the industry incl. technology through actively working in the industry, true market orientation, strategic thinking and proactivity in utilising his experience to give strategic advice.’
‘The team is composed of employees with different strengths and knowledge that overall means that the deliveries have a very high quality. The deliveries arrive at the agreed time and at the agreed price.’
‘Employees have a very high level of competence within their fields. They are always available and flexible.’
‘I especially appreciate their business and IT industry acumen having an in-depth understanding of the industry and trends.’
‘Leif Thrane combines strong business understanding with great legal skills, straightforward attitude and extensive in-house experience. He is always quickly on top of any new assignments. ’
Statens Vegvesen (Norwegian Public Road Administration)
Sporveien (Transport for Oslo)
- Advising Telenor on the merger between Canal Digital and Viasat Consumer to establish Allente, a company with a total turnover of NOK7.5bn.
- Representing the Dutch software company Uniface in a complex dispute with CGI regarding licensing agreements and copyright of software.
- Advising Ferd on its acquisition of the majority of shares in leading HR technology company Infotjenster (Simployer).
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig stands out for its work across a number of areas, including IT, media, telecoms, emerging technology and data protection mandates. Espen Tøndel is a leading lawyer in the IT and telecoms arenas, notably handling the negotiation of procurement projects and transactions in the technology space; his broad client portfolio includes a number of industry leaders and multinational corporations. Team head Tor Stokke is singled out for his high-profile work on public technology procurements. Junior partners with notable practices are IT procurement and contract law specialists Nicolai Halbo and Trine Vabog.
Other key lawyers:
Espen Tøndel; Nicolai Halbo; Trine Vabog
‘They have an unique approach in understanding how legal questions and legal matters are interlinked with the realities of running ERP projects. Thus they are able to really understand and connect with the project management and process/solution resources. They work very well with all levels in the organisation, from board room to subject matter experts both in business areas and technical areas.’
‘Trine Vaborg is an outstanding lawyer. She makes sure she understands the client needs properly and what results they want. She has an extreme ability to achieve the requested results based on superior legal knowledge and ability to connect with all involved parties.’
‘The way Trine Vabog combines her juridical expertise with a profound technological knowledge impressed me. I felt very comfortable during the process when she led the work in a way that was understandable and inclusive for everyone so everyone could relate to the content of the work.’
‘SVW has deep knowledge about business, commercial and tech. They are very supportive and dynamic. They follow the needs and agility of my business. Strong on disruptive technology, innovation and venture.’
‘Deep knowledge. Great on services. Very flexible and agile. Give good advice. Integrity.’
‘Comprehensive insight into SaaS related legal issues and contracts, including DPA matters. Always available and able to reply on short notice, to meet the requirements from our customers.’
‘Very good understanding of our business. Important contributor to our business development. Broad competence. For us they are a one-stop shop.’
‘Espen Tøndel has long experience within IT/telecom and deep understanding of the business.’
‘The team has exceptional competence in public procurement and the use of contract standards for agile development. In addition, the team is at the moment probably the practice with best competence on legal questions in the context of cloud computing, at least in Norway. They also have a very good understanding of technology for the health sector and the possibilities in use of health data. This also means that they stand out in the areas of information security and privacy.’
‘Trine Vabog has been operationally responsive for both developing a detailed, specific and efficient contract, and both initial and ongoing contract adjustments and negotiations. She is friendly, efficient and exceptionally hard working.’
Telia Norge AS/Telia Company AB
Akers Solutions ASA
Reitan Convenience Norway AS
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA
Tomra Systems ASA
BI Norwegian Business School
The Norwegian Athletes Association
- Assisting the Central Norway Health Region (85 municipalities and over 350 general practitioners) with the procurement of a new, cutting-edge EHR and administrative solution (the ‘Helseplattformen’ project).
- Acting for Yara International ASA on its collaboration with IBM to create an Open Data Exchange platform.
- Advising Telia Norge AS, the largest Nordic telecoms provider, on a range of matters, including the negotiation of a framework agreement with the Norwegian premier league soccer club Brann and the Norwegian Football Association on behalf of Telia.
With one of the strongest TMT practices in the market, Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS is recognised for handling high-profile IT sourcing projects, especially for major private sector companies - a key area of work for Espen Werring. Other notable areas of strength include GDPR and data protection mandates, fintech and insuretech issues, transactional work, major M&A deals and disputes. The department is also experienced in acting for major clients in the media and telecoms industries. Team head Christopher Sparre-Enger Clausen combines his IT expertise with regular work in M&A transactions for TMT clients.
Christopher Sparre-Enger Clausen
Other key lawyers:
Espen Werring; Camilla Vislie
‘Strategic partner, always delivers quality, on time, highly competent lawyers.’
‘Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS delivers high standard and timely TMT advice. The team’s strengths are inter alia working in small teams with cost-effective deliveries.’
‘Christopher Sparre-Enger Clausen – commercially oriented in his advice and approach to the legal questions.’
‘I find Christopher Sparre-Enger Clausen and his team to provide a truly outstanding service. Always very responsive and providing business-oriented advice with innovative solutions. They have a deep understanding of the tech industry and current developments in the sectors.’
‘I want to call out Christopher Sparre-Enger Clausen specifically – though the entire team I work with is great. He is always responsive and a good discussion partner on a range of topics, and is good at organising his team to ensure the right competencies and timely responses. The advice is business-oriented and provided in a digestible and actionable manner to the business.’
‘Easy to work with. Knowledgeable. Solution oriented. Able to defend a position.’
‘Espen Werring is outstanding.’
‘Good people skills. Able to discuss business without escalating issues. Brings discussions forward.’
‘The team combines strong legal expertise with excellent technical and commercial understanding. This allows them to provide legal advice that is practical and business-oriented. The team members are curious, creative and eager to expand their capabilities beyond the classic lawyer role. They understand that legal advisers need to be cross-functional team players and are good at developing new professional networks in the industries they advise.’
‘Partner Christopher Sparre-Enger Clausen: Personable, committed, creative and curious, not afraid to speak his mind and able to break complex problems into resolvable tasks. Excellent technical understanding (data, cyber).’
‘Exceptional competency in IT, technology and outsourcing deals and contracts.’
Microsoft Corporation (including its Norwegian subsidiary, Microsoft Norge AS)
Samsung Electronics AB
Wilh. Wilhelmsen ASA
Lyse Energi AS including its subsidiaries Altibox and Smartly
NHST Media Group AS (Dagens Næringsliv)
Circle K Norge
- Advising eBay on its $9.2bn sale of its global online classifieds business to Adevinta, creating the world’s largest online classified business.
- Advising Storebrand on its sourcing of development, implementation and SaaS services regarding its group-wide customer engagement platform.
- Advising Kahoot! ion its collaboration with Marvel Entertainment.
Wiersholm acts for an impressive and growing client base including leading Norwegian and international TMT companies. The group is singled out for its expertise in M&A deals in the TMT sector, major IT and technology projects, GDPR issues and TV distribution work; IT developments including digitalisation projects, big data work and AI matters are also areas of strength. The team is jointly led by the highly experienced Hans Erik Johnsen, leading data protection specialist Rune Opdahl and corporate expert Kai Thøgersen. Senior associate Theresa Schumacher Walberg is a name to note for her expertise in technology contracts.
Hans Erik Johnsen; Rune Opdahl; Kai Thøgersen
Other key lawyers:
Magnus Hellesylt; Theresa Schumacher Walberg
‘Highly skilled – very professional and very nice to work with.’
‘What makes this practice unique is their practical approach. They find solutions you can actually use and benefit from, not solutions you have to “translate” to your colleagues in order to apply it internally. They are also top performers in terms of availability, professionalism, and legal expertise.’
‘Rune Opdahl is intuitive, always available, has an excellent legal mind and is solution-oriented and pragmatic. He’s also tech savvy and is great at managing complicated contracts and issues.’
‘They have a very good TV/Media and content practice.’
‘Hans Erik Johnsen is exceptional with his experience.’
Schibsted Schibsted Media Group
Discovery Networks Norway
Monster / A Nice Company
1881 Group (Digitale Medier 1881 / Opplysningen 1881)
- Advising Telia Norge on comprehensive and complex negotiations regarding a new distribution agreement with TV2.
- Representing Discovery Communications Europe Limited (Discovery) in litigation against the Norwegian State, relating to whether section 4-7 of the Norwegian Broadcasting Act is contrary to EEA law.
- Representing Telenor in litigation before the Supreme Court regarding a claim from a movie distributor for disclosure of IP data due to alleged illegal file-sharing of movies.
BAHR provides specialist advice across advertising and marketing law, transactional work, regulatory issues, TMT disputes and technology agreements. It attracts a diverse client base of domestic and international companies which includes media groups, telecoms companies, technology suppliers and private equity funds. The department is jointly led by IP specialist Are Stenvik and Lars Kristian Sande, who combines expertise in M&A transactions and the telecoms sector. Other notable names include Lars G. Norheim, whose specialisms include licensing and franchising work, and transactional expert Svein Gerhard Simonnæs.
Are Stenvik; Lars Kristian Sande
Other key lawyers:
Lars G. Norheim; Svein Gerhard Simonnæs; Beret Sundet; Eirik Basmo Ellingsen
Bristol Myers Squibb
Eisai & Co
Eli Lilly & Co
Merck & Co
Reitangruppen (REMA 1000, 7-Eleven)
Nordic Entertainment Group – NENT (TV3, Viaplay, Viasat, etc.)
- Acting for Aukruststiftelsen in a Court of Appeal/Supreme Court case concerning the IP rights relating to the fictional ‘Flåklypa’ universe, which amongst other things, formed the basis for the famous Norwegian animated feature film, ‘Pinchcliffe Grand Prix’.
- Acting for NENT in infringement proceedings against major commercial broadcaster TV2, alleging that TV2 infringed MTG’s broadcasting rights by showing excessive excerpts from the match between the boxing champion Floyd Mayweather and the MMA champion Conor McGregor during its morning news programme.
- Assisting REMA 1000 with its implementation of Workplace by Facebook as a communication platform internally and in relation to its 650 stores, including negotiating and drafting agreements with Facebook, Inc.
The TMT team at Bull & Co Advokatfirma AS is recognised for its specialist experience assisting media and entertainment sector clients, while also attracting complex mandates from significant technology and telecoms clients. The practice's expertise in TV and film was significantly strengthened by the arrival of Jan Morten Evertsen and Lisa Digernes from Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS in early 2020. Rune Nordengen is head of the group, which also includes IT specialist Kristian Foss, IP expert Tom G Eilertsen and telecoms contracts specialist Christopher W Husebye.
Rune Nordengen; Jenny Sveen Hovda
Other key lawyers:
Kristian Foss; Tom G Eilertsen; Christopher W Husebye; Kristin Haram Førde; Stian Sørensen Schilvold; Jan Morten Evertsen; Lisa Digernes
‘I have had a close and satisfying collaboration with Lisa Digernes. She has been efficient and very helpful.’
‘Lisa Digernes has a unique experience from both the US and Norway which makes her able to provide legal counsel that spans across borders.’
Monday Productions, Teddy TV, Feelgood
The Norwegian Humanist Association
- Advising ATB-Nett on its entry into a long-term framework agreement with Telia Norge, one of the largest telecoms companies in the Nordic Region.
- Advising The Norwegian Humanist Association on data protection work in relation to its extensive GDPR project.
- Advising Monday Media on all legal work needed for its TV productions.
Kvale Advokatfirma DA provides specialist advice to major Nordic clients in the telecoms industry, including Telia, TDC/Get and Broadnet, and has recently been involved in a number of complex digitalisation and data privacy projects. Practice head Per-Kaare Svendsen acts for leading telecoms and technology companies. Other key practitioners include Lars Trygve Jenssen, who specialises in the technology sector, transactional lawyer Thomas S Farhang and Ingvild Hanssen-Bauer, whose areas of focus include data privacy issues, IP work and IT contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Lars Trygve Jenssen; Thomas S Farhang; Ingvild Hanssen-Bauer; Jens Christian Gjesti
Municipality of Oslo
- Representing Globalconnect in a number of matters, including acting in disputes and advising on the regulatory framework concerning the decommissioning of the copper network; handling a number of disputes with the Norwegian incumbent, Telenor; assisting with the enforcement of commercial agreements with suppliers and customers such as the armed forces and power companies; and providing assistance with complying with the general data protection regulations (GDPR) as well as legislation concerning national security.
- Representing Telia Norge AS and TDC A/S in proceedings brought by Telenor which sought to annul a decision by the Norwegian Communications Authority and the Ministry of Transport & Communications which ordered Telenor to reimburse NOK16m relating to discriminatory pricing practices.
- Advising OneCo Networks on the sale of shares in the company and its recent renegotiation for a renewal of the company’s outsourcing arrangement with Telenor Norge, which is OneCo Networks’ largest customer.
The technology department at Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS provides the full range of advice to clients across the TMT sector. Particularly strong in technology mandates, the practice assists with large transactions, software development and contracting projects, procurement issues and disputes. Practice head Ståle L. Hagen is regularly involved in significant technology sector deals and contracts. Also noted in the team is Nils Kristian Einstabland, who has expertise in transactional and regulatory matters, and also advises on the related political frameworks.
Ståle L. Hagen
Other key lawyers:
Nils Kristian Einstabland
Wilhelmsen IT Services
Wallenius Wilhelmsen Ocean
Auto Transport Service
Den Norske Opera & Ballett
Bertel O. Steen
Apotekforeningen / Difa
- Advising Felleskjøpet on the digital transformation processes being implemented in its business, including the contract for the delivery of a new ERP system.
- Advising Itelligence on its comprehensive ERP solution project for its customer, Nortura, Norway’s primary meat and poultry farming co-operative.
- Acting for the Norwegian National Opera & Ballet on its re-negotiation and termination of a failed ERP implementation project delivered by Experis Ciber.
Wikborg Rein's technology and digitalisation team is best known for its work on IT contracts for clients in the public sector. Other key areas of work include data protection issues, digital business matters, marketing law and IP highlights. Department head Line Coll stands out for her expertise in privacy and digitalisation projects. Other notable names in the team include Rolf Riisnæs, who is a leading name in IT contracts, eGovernment issues and IT public procurement mandates; IP and marketing law specialist Hanna Beyer Olaussen; and specialist counsel Gry Hvidsten, whose practice centres on data protection work.
Other key lawyers:
Rolf Riisnæs; Hanna Beyer Olaussen; Gry Hvidsten
‘Competence, great work capacity and credibility. Dedicated individuals with valuable experience.’
‘This practice has a broad knowledge base and covers many of the legal disciplines. They are able to tailor their assistance and guidance specifically to our concrete needs and use their resources to best accommodate us as a client. They are extremely professional and we feel secure in that fact that we are always given advice that is based on up to date practice and experience. We know that when we have used their services for quality assurance that because of their name and standing, the users of our services feel secure and safe knowing that Wikborg Rein have been involved.’
‘There is a lot of knowledge among the team members in WR. They are always available and give advice on small and larger issues, often on a short term notice. WR understands our business strategy and processes.’
‘The team provides complete capacity within TMT Law. It provides expert advice in TMT and related areas of law with a high standard of accuracy, efficiency and value for money.’
‘The team consists of experts that are efficient, provides practical and constructive advice, and has a great understanding of the needs of an in-house department (many of the team members have backgrounds as in-house lawyers).’
‘Gry Hvidtsten is our main contact in regards to privacy law. She is very attentive, efficient and highly knowledgeable/capable.’
‘Gry Hvidsten and the team at Wikborg Rein deliver excellent support and legal advice that is tailored to the complex nature of our international corporation. They are quick to get a very good understanding of the client’s needs and deliver work of great quality, especially in the field of data protection. The composition of the team is very strong with a great mix of experienced legal professionals, many of whom have solid backgrounds from years of working in-house across different industries. This makes the team at WR stand out from their competitors in the market.’
‘Gry Hvidsten is an excellent lawyer with a solid background from years of practical data protection compliance and her support is expertly tailored to our needs every time. Gry is always available on short notice to discuss urgent matters big or small and her support and guidance in difficult matters of law has been invaluable.’
Norgesgruppen ASA /Norgesgruppen Data AS
ASKO Norge AS
Orkla IT AS
Vygruppen AS (former Norges Statsbaner)
Norsk Hydro ASA
Aker Solutions ASA
- Assisting the Central Bank of Norway with the outsourcing of its IT infrastructure including new platforms and operational services for systems of national importance as well as for business critical systems.
- Assisting Norsk Hydro ASA with the development and implementation of data protection compliance documentation to ensure compliance in the Hydro group of companies, and also with day-to-day data protection legal advice e.g. related to the handling of incidents.
- Assisting Elkem with data protection advice related to its daily business, e.g. in relation to external service providers, and with a GDPR-compliance audit for the Elkem group.
Arntzen de Besche provides TMT advice on a broad range of areas, including IP law, telecoms issues, IT work, marketing law, e-commerce mandates, media work and data privacy issues. Also notable is the practice's broad industry focus. Department head Andreas Nordby specialises in dispute resolution, while Tommy Dahlen is the key name for transactional work. M&A specialist Knut Martinsen joined from an in-house role at the EVRY Group in early 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Tommy Dahlen; Knut Martinsen
‘Young and light footed team. Very easy to work with.’
‘Knut Martinsen shows a unique combination of legal, commercial and technical sense, and paired with an extremely hands-on approach. He is ideally suited to advise on all types of TMT matters, including transactions. Having worked from the inside of the business, he understands the line of communication well and gives great value for money.’
Baxter International, Inc
The SINTEF Foundation (including all divisions and subsidiaries)
Helse Midt-Norge RHF
Bilfinger Industrier AS
- Advising Framsikt AS on Visma AS’ agreement to acquire a 50.1% stake in Framsikt AS, a Norway-based company that operates a tool for analysis, planning, budgeting, reporting and business management.
- Assisting Shearwater with the creation (by Shearwater and CGG) of a new streamer technology joint venture under the Sercel brand name and CGG’s majority ownership, for the development, manufacturing, commercialisation and support of marine streamer seismic acquisition systems.
- Assisting fintech company Huddlestock Capital with the merger with mutual fund Dovre Forvaltning AS, forming the new fintech group of companies called Huddlestock Fintech.
The technology and IP department at Advokatfirmaet CLP DA acts for a number of cutting-edge software and internet companies, providing a wide range of advice spanning licensing issues, dispute resolution and litigation, and contract drafting and negotiation support. Further strengths include privacy and competition law and technology transfer issues. The team is led jointly by Stephan Brodschöll and Hanne Heltne, who joined from an in-house role in 2020.
Stephan Brodschöll; Hanne Heltne
‘The CLP team has demonstrated unique strengths, skills and capabilities within international contracting knowledge in general, contractual fencing related to liability, indemnity and other issues, software IPR fencing and transfer and more. We use CLP as our in-house lawyers for all legal advice and contract work.’
‘When it comes to individuals it is still the unique agility that really differentiates them from competitors. They work very well as a team, introducing individuals with special strengths, skills and relevant experience for different issues.’
‘International expertise, specifically with IT SaaS contracts and complex data integrity and confidentiality clauses, and working across different country requirements including UK and Brexit challenges.’
‘Very senior team that takes charge in the projects. Super business minded and pragmatic.’
‘We have been working with CLP for many years and their lawyers go straight to the point and resolve the matters we need assistance on. We work with them in the technology field but also on the financing and equity side. We find that the CLP lawyers’ approach is solid and similar although the areas of law are different. They provide to-the-point advice and assistance in a time and cost efficient manner.’
‘We work with Stephan Brodschöll in the technology space. He is an experienced lawyer, has good overview of intellectual property rights and sector regulations and is a good and clever negotiator. He has assisted us with cooperation agreements with Japanese and German companies and understands the international aspects of doing business in the technology space.’
‘CLP manages to deliver the specialisation of a boutique and the quality and speed of a larger firm. CLP is extremely strong within the software space and has been of great support during contract negotiations as well as formulation of legal documents.’
‘Very responsive, quick to understand customer business model and underlaying requirements, efficient delivery – on time.’
Agder Energi AS
EU Supply AB
Vivaldi Technologies AS
Boost Communications AS
Symetri Collaboration AS
House of Control AS
Mobile Software AS
Memory AI AS
- Assisting a major Nordic IT company with the negotiations of a multi-year contract with an international laptop manufacturer for its software platform that will be used and distributed to partners and distributors worldwide.
- Advising WindSim on the negotiations and completion of a technology transfer deal with Shanghai Electric Power Energy.
- Advising VGTV on negotiations for the licensing of photo, video and other rights for use in a Netflix documentary.
Advokatfirmaet Hjort focuses its practice on key telecoms and media clients, in addition to work in the energy and public sectors. It also demonstrates strong capabilities in litigation and data protection. The team is jointly led by telecoms expert Kristin Veierød and media specialist Monica Syrdal. Technology and contracts expert Eivind G. Moe was promoted to the partnership in early 2020.
Kristin Veierød; Monica Syrdal
Other key lawyers:
Claude A. Lenth; Eivind G. Moe
Epidemic Sound AB
Agder Energi Nett
Norges Televisjon AS
Salten Kraftsamband AS
Avinor AS/Avinor Flysikring AS
- Advising Kabel Norge on a new legislative proposal whereby the Government wants TV- distributors and internet access providers to block gambling advertisements from broadcasters based in the UK and other foreign countries.
- Advising Avinor Flysikring on contractual and procurement matters, as well as providing ongoing advice on contentious matters during project execution.
- Advising Difa AS on regulatory and contractual issues in relation to its procurement of a new industry IT-solution for pharmacies in Norway.
Since its establishment in 2019, IP and technology boutique ADVOKATFIRMAET GJESSINGREIMERS AS has gained a number of significant domestic and international technology clients. Areas of strength for the team include IT contracts, disputes and data protection mandates. The department is jointly headed up by Øystein Flagstad and Simen Blaker Strand.
Øystein Flagstad; Simen Blaker Strand
‘The team consists of seasoned and efficient individuals with a good sense of business friendly advice.‘
‘I’ve had the pleasure of working with Øystein Flagstad somewhat regularly for about three years. He is always consistent in delivering timely and helpful advice.‘
‘The combination of high competence and good availability.‘
‘Consistent high level of service and availability. Proactive and creative with focus on matters of substance. Ability to respond swiftly with useful context advice ready for immediate implementation or action.‘
‘The team’s major strength for us is their knowledge and experience with public procurement.’
‘We have a long-term relationship with the attorney we use. He knows us, our business, our customers and the agreements we have with our customers. Availability is important for us and we always get the appropriate assistance and service when we need it.‘
Norsk Hydro ASA
Beaufort Norge AS
Stiftelsen Norges Geotekniske Institutt – NGI (Norwegian Geotechnical Institute)
Rettighetsalliansen (The Rights Holders Alliance of Norway)
- Advising IBM on the renegotiation of its outsourcing agreement with TietoEVRY.
- Acting for TINE on IT outsourcing processes including contract negotiations with several suppliers of IT services.
- Assisting Buypass with the public procurement of ID and payment services by Norsk Tipping, the Norwegian gaming monopoly.
The TMT team at Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS is noted for its expertise in marketing law, while also maintaining an active practice in e-commerce, data protection and privacy matters. Department head Vebjørn Søndersrød is singled out for his work on GDPR mandates. Media specialist Jan Morten Evertsen departed for Bull & Co Advokatfirma AS in early 2020.
‘Two decades of continuous cooperation means we have a well-established working relationship.’
‘Vebjørn Søndersrød is very competent in the fields of law and technology, which is important within privacy.’
Nordic Choice Hotels
Power Norge AS
IDEX Biometrics ASA
Thin Film Electronics ASA
180.no Nummeropplysningen AS
XXL Sport & Villmark AS
McDonald’s (Food Folk Norge AS)
Xplora Mobile AS
Xplora Mobile AS
- Advising Nordic Choice Hotels on GDPR compliance, digital marketing and sales issues including loyalty programs and internet/app sales.
- Advising Vipps AS, the leading eWallet, eID and national payment card system provider, on agreements, negotiations, licensing issues and GDPR mandates.
- Represented Power Norge, a significant electronic equipment retailer, in an important case against the Consumer Protection Authority.
Brækhus Advokatfirma DA has strength in negotiating complex IT contracts, specialist public procurement issues (especially relating to cloud services) and change management work. Team head Christian Bendiksen is an expert in issues relating to artificial intelligence; Stein E Hove is an IT contracts and litigation specialist, and Brede A Haglund specialises in commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Stein E Hove; Brede A Haglund
Capgemini Norge AS
Flytoget – the Oslo Airport Express Train
Volvo Maskin AS
Yamaha Motor Europe N.V.
Idemitsu Petroleum Norge AS
SATS ASA with subsidiaries
Mohawk Analytics AS
Eie Franchise AS
Focus Software AS
Ringeriks-Kraft AS / SMARTliv AS
INELO Polska sp. z.o.o.
Health Tech AS / now Touchpoint Norway AS
Rubin Medical AS
Hunton Fiber AS
R8 Property AS
GiG Norge AS
EML Payments Ltd.
Den norske forleggerforening – the Norwegian Publishers’ Association
The Study Association (AOF)
The Norwegian Union of Leadership and Technology (HK)
The Norwegian Union of Commerce and Office Employees
- Providing SATS ASA with contract advice, advice in disputes with suppliers and customers and advising on legal proceedings.
- Advising Simplifai AS on the optimisation of current SaaS-templates for international distribution as well as concluding distributorship/sub-licensing agreements with US and UK companies.
- Assisting R8 Property AS with all due diligence and procurement processes.
DLA Piper's Oslo-based TMT team leverages the firm's global network to attract complex, cross-border mandates, acting for major multinational clients. A particular strength of the team is in data protection, GDPR and cybersecurity mandates. Petter Bjerke heads up the team, and has specialist experience advising clients in the media, telecoms, and advertising sectors.
‘As an in-house lawyer I need an external partner within privacy issues who is available to provide advice not only in bigger transactions/engagements but who also is always available to discuss and advise on ad hoc questions and be a discussion partner. DLA provides that. Also the firm has a wide range of services and can draw in other expertise if needed.’
‘Petter Bjerke is a knowledgeable lawyer who provides practical advice in a timely manner.’
‘DLA Piper has been assisting us on various projects and legal topics, specifically on GDPR-related topics. They have a broad range of expertise and have been very useful both as a discussion partner on various difficult topics and as a legal resource on contract issues.’
‘Petter Bjerke at the Norwegian DLA Piper office has shown great support and provided professional assistance in both IPR and GDPR-related requests whenever we needed this within short timeframes. His capacity to take on projects at short notice and quick turnarounds has been very valuable to enable our business to stand out as a professional provider within a competitive market.’
Digitale Gardermoen IS
Møller Mobility Group
- Advising MMG on GDPR related matters as well as contract negotiations and strategies in connection with the outsourcing of complex IT systems.
- Advising Vodafone on a wide range of electronic communications and data protection law issues which are linked to its services in Norway.
- Advising MSD on several data privacy matters related to patient confidentiality and data privacy in general.
EY Norway delivers specialist advice on data privacy and GDPR issues to a broad range of clients, including blockchain and crypto-technology companies, as well as providing expert tax and business structuring advice. Joakim Marstrander maintains a roster of media, technology and online entertainment clients, while Gjert Melsom specialises in tax law, acting for TMT clients.
Joakim Marstrander; Gjert Melsom
Mavi App AS
A K Jensen Limited (AKJ)
EY Skye Consulting AS
Travel Retail Norway AS
Eyepoc AS / By Norwegian AS
Proteam Trading Ltd
Norwegian Fashion Hub
Katrine URI Design AS
Mishcon de Reya
Patentstyret (Norwegian Industrial Property Office)
- Assisting Telenor ASA, including all its domestic and foreign subsidiaries, with advice on quality assurance of transactions, internal pricing set-ups and other business tax issues.
- Providing advice to Miris AS on tax and legal issues related to company structure and financial regulations by issuing an STO at a company and shareholder level.
- Supporting Iagon AS with legal and tax issues, such as GDPR compliance, financial regulations on the issuance of a token (as payment and reward mechanism), IPR matters, terms and conditions concerning the platform, and tax related questions on IP, cross-border matters and sale of / gains from tokens.
The TMT department at SANDS is distinguished by its notable involvement with top Norwegian technology start-up incubators, as well as experience advising media and telecoms clients. Practice head Stig Nordal has substantial expertise in handling US-partnered cross-border matters. Another key area of strength for the group includes advising private equity investors in the TMT space.
Other key lawyers:
Gisle Edvard Årnes; Ketil Sellæg Ramberg
Founders Fund I, II and III
Aleris Medical Group
Basic Internet Foundation
Oslo Cancer Cluster
- Assisting CardioMech AS with its $18.5m Series A funding, with a syndicate of Investors from the US, as well as Norwegian-based Hadean Ventures and the Norwegian governmental fund Investinor.
- Developed all of ICT Norway’s new standard agreements.
- Acting for Retriever Norge AS in legal proceedings versus the Norwegian newspaper Dagens Næringsliv concerning news summaries, linking and the legality of media monitoring services.