Firms in the Spotlight TMT
TMT in Norway
Advokatfirmaet Schjødt’s digital innovation, TMT and privacy department is jointly led by Kaare Risung and Halvor Manshaus, and handles the full spectrum of issues across the TMT arena. The practice receives notable praise for its media work and is instructed by the Norwegian Association of Editors, Schibsted and Egmont. Other areas of expertise include transactional and funding work, contentious issues, data protection advisory matters and contractual mandates. Halvard Helle and Vidar Strømme are the key names for media and freedom of expression disputes respectively, Tord Fondevik focuses on the technology sector, Eva Jarbekk specialises in privacy work, and Hugo Berg Otterlei handles large IT projects.
‘Halvor Manshaus is in a separate league. He combines the interest in tech and law in a way that ensures good solutions. Strategically very strong, and the favourite for any CEO or COO. It is always interesting and inspiring to work with Halvor.’
‘Kaare Risung is the go-to person for drafting and crafting highly complex agreements.’
Egmont, Including TV2
Aker BioMarine AS
Finance Industry Authorisation schemes (FinAut)
The Norwegian Association of Editors
Verdens Gang AS
Dagens Næringsliv AS
Aller Media AS
- Advised Finance Industry Authorisation schemes on the development of a framework for the authorisation of robotic financial advice.
- Assisted Evry with its merger with Tieto.
- Represented newspaper Dagens Næringsliv during its exposure of the Tidal ‘fake streams’ scandal. The group also advises the newspaper on other defamation and ethical issues.
As a key firm in the market for technology, telecoms and privacy work, Advokatfirmaet Føyen Torkildsen AS acts for a client roster of technology companies and public sector clients including Google, Statens Vegvesen Vegdirektoratet and Strex. The group regularly handles transactional work, contractual issues, disputes and IT procurements. Arve Føyen is also singled out for his data privacy expertise and assists clients with data flow issues, binding corporate rules, offshoring work and GDPR mandates. Contractual expert Lars Folkvard Giske heads up the TMT practice, which also fields Knut Glad, newly promoted partner Øyvind Eidissen Ransedokken and Knut Fiane, who handles IT projects and outsourcing contracts, and cloud agreements.
‘The practice has a very high knowledge of the business models in the IT industry in Norway. They spend the time to understand the needs of the different actors in a market where cloud services are significantly changing how business is done.‘
‘Top knowledge – always easy to get in touch with and 100% professional.‘
‘Lars Folkvard Giske has spent a significant amount of time to try to adjust the standard agreements used in the market place to make sure they are adaptable to cloud. He has also been on different stages to explain this message.‘
Google LLC and Alphabet LLC
Statens Vegvesen, Vegdirektoratet (the Norwegian Roads Administration)
Chili Mobil AS
Bouvet Norge AS
- Assisting Google with all IT, IP, compliance and telecoms related work including updating terms and conditions to various products and services from Google and regulatory compliance issues.
- Advised Nortura on the implementation of its new IT strategy including a new ERP system and new outsourcing strategies.
- Acting for Statens Vegvesen on its acquisition of a new cloud-based system for financial control over its road projects.
Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS stands out for its technology expertise and is regularly involved in the market’s high-profile matters; the team recently advised Tieto on its merger with Evry to create the largest IT company in the Nordics, and represented Statens Vegvesen against IBM in a dispute relating to the termination of a contract for the development of customised road toll software. The group handles the full spectrum of technology issues including IT projects, technology M&A, digital media and telecoms issues, data protection and privacy work and mandates relating to new digital ventures. Leif Eirik Thrane leads the department and regularly handles outsourcings and M&A work, data protection leader Kari Gimmingsrud is ‘cool, calm and collected’ and ‘great to have on your side in a crisis situation’; Arne Byberg is singled out for his transactional expertise, and Andreas Bernt regularly acts for media sector clients.
‘Haavind’s TMT team is not the biggest TMT team in Norway but they are able to provide great support due to their strong industry knowledge and passion to serve customers whenever needed.‘
‘The firm consists of many strong teams with a high legal quality within different fields of law. They always have an updated knowledge of the law, and are always able to give clear legal advice within the time limits set. They are decent and polite, and have a very service-minded attitude that always makes it easy to call them for legal discussions and more heavy legal assessments and assistance.‘
‘The main features of the Haavind TMT team members is that they combine excellent legal skills with a thorough understanding of the IT/tech industry. Accordingly, it makes them superb legal advisors in complex IT projects and M&A activities in the tech industry.‘
‘Leif Thrane is the real professional combining strong IT and M&A backgrounds, therefore providing practical and straightforward solutions.‘
‘Kari Gimmingsrud has an excellent knowledge within the area of privacy law, and is always capable of delivering on-time feedback and other kinds of assistance that helps us the way we need in our day-to-day business. A great advantage with her, besides her high level of expertise within the field and her politeness, is that she knows our business so well that her answers and legal assistance are not only high quality, but also have the necessary practical touch.’
‘The group stands out for its very deep knowledge of the IT Industry as well as IT itself. It also has enormous commitment to deliver exceptional quality work in a timely manner.‘
‘The person that really stands out is Leif Thrane who is one of the great IT lawyers that we have worked with in recent times. Brilliant attention and commitment, deep knowledge of the industry and very practical and solution-oriented. Second to none.‘
‘Kari Gimmingsrud is “cool, calm and collected”; she’s very steadfast and professional, and she is great to have on your side in a crisis situation.‘
‘Isak Mendoza is a star and I would hire him any day of the week. He is very knowledgeable and service-minded, and he understands the projects he is involved in and works to find compliant solutions that work for the project but at the same time ensuring sound data protection principles.‘
Helse Sør-Øst (Regional Health Entity for South East of Norway)
Sporveien Oslo (Transport for Oslo)
Statens Vegvesen (Norwegian Public Road Administration (NPRA))
Oslo University Hospital
Santander Consumer Bank
Broadnet / Global Connect
- Advised Tieto on its merger with Evry to create the largest IT company in the Nordics, TietoEVRY.
- Acted for Helse Sør-Øst on the termination of its high-value outsourcing and transformation agreement with DXC.
- Represented Statens Vegvesen in a dispute against IBM relating to the development of customised road toll software, which would replace Norway’s current nationwide system.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig has ‘in-depth knowledge of the telecoms industry’ and excels in the technology and digitalisation arena acting for a client roster which includes Telia, Hewlett Packard and RiksTV. The practice is also active in the fintech space, media transactions and data protection work. Tor Stokke heads up the group and regularly handles technology transactions and media work. Other key practitioners include technology and telecoms leader Espen Tøndel, contractual expert Nicolai Halbo, IT procurement specialist Trine Vabog and Torstein Losnedahl, who focuses on regulatory issues.
‘The team can quickly adapt to new challenges and situations and bring value to our company.’
‘Tor Stokke understands our company and business very well. He knows what we are looking for, can counsel us both formally and informally and is a great discussion partner and adviser.‘
‘Espen Tøndel and Torstein Losnedahl are both extremely valuable.‘
Telia Norge AS/Telia Company AB (mobile services)
Akers Solutions ASA
Reitan Convenience Norway AS
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA
Tomra Systems ASA
BI Norwegian Business School
The Norwegian Athletes Association
- Assisting the Norwegian Communications Authority (Nkom) with the state funding of the communications sector to close the funding gap of participants for the provision of wholesale international connectivity access on open and non-discriminatory terms. The group is also handling the implementation of state aid regulation in the rolling out of publicly financed broadband.
- Advised Telia on its acquisition of Get and TDC Norway from TDC for NOK21bn.
- Assisted the Central Norway Health Region with the procurement of a new EHR and administrative solution, Helseplattformen.
Christopher Sparre-Enger Clausen, who ‘has a talent for finding commercial solutions’, leads the department at Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS, which is singled out for its expertise handling IT and digital transformation projects. The practice is also highly active in the fintech, insurtech and medtech sectors, and is increasingly involved in GDPR and data protection matters alongside its work in the telecoms and media industries at a domestic and international level. Technology specialist Espen Werring receives praise for his ‘outstanding experience and track record’, associate partner Haakon Opperud focuses on IT projects, and Eirik W Raanes handles contentious mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Always solid and well-considered advice, highly responsive, full-service firm with ability to pull in the right resources when needed.‘
‘Thommessen’s TMT team offers very practical and hands-on advice, fields excellent teams with combined expertise, and shows outstanding business acumen.‘
‘Christopher Clausen is a strong partner, with a talent for finding commercial solutions to legal issues in a very regulated environment.‘
‘Espen Werring is highly professional, proactive and has deep knowledge of the areas of transformation, transition and outsourcing work.‘
‘I want to call out Christopher Sparre-Enger Clausen in particular, but the entire team is excellent from my experience working with them for many years. Christopher is very agile and business-oriented, has a wealth of knowledge, provides practical advice that’s easily digestible to the business client and is highly responsive.‘
Microsoft Corporation (including its Norwegian subsidiary, Microsoft Norge AS)
Hafslund Nett AS
Wilh. Wilhelmsen ASA
The Council on Ethics for the Norwegian Government Pension Fund Global
The Association of the Pharmaceutical industry in Norway (LMI)/NomVec AS
Lyse Energi AS including its subsidiaries Altibox and Smartly
NHST Media Group AS (Dagens Næringsliv)
- Advising Microsoft on a range of issues including data protection and cybersecurity work, litigation, regulatory compliance and procurement processes.
- Acted for Kongsberg Gruppen on its acquisition of Rolls-Royce Commercial Marine from Rolls-Royce.
- Assisted DNK with its efforts to leverage big data and internet of things technology to automate insurance compliance routines relating to positioning requirements.
Wiersholm is a key name in the market for technology transactions with notable experience in innovative areas encompassing digitalisation projects, big data work, artificial intelligence matters and internet of things issues. The group has also handled numerous GDPR projects and cybersecurity responses, and assists multiple media houses with ePrivacy and adtech mandates. Hans Erik Johnsen counts service providers, developers, licensees, media companies and distributors as clients; Rune Opdahl specialises in privacy, media, digitalisation and e-commerce work; Kai Thøgersen handles transactional work and Magnus Hellesylt focuses on TMT litigation. Senior associate Theresa Schumacher Walberg is also recommended for IT contract work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Knowledgeable about the field we work in and contracts used. Know the law and give business-related thoughts on how to use the law.‘
‘Rune Opdahl is an excellent professional with in-depth knowledge of data protection, cookies and technology. One other positive aspect of the team is that they are very good at lifting the younger individuals up, enabling them to become really good lawyers and also saving costs for the client. All in all, this is the best data protection team in Norway due to the high quality of the deliverables, the practical knowledge and the understanding of the business environments.‘
‘Curious, creative and knowledgeable.‘
‘Rune Opdahl is tech-savvy, knowledgeable, professional, pleasant to work with and generally the full package.‘
Discovery Networks Norway
Monster/A Nice Company
Orkla 1881 Group (Digitale Medier 1881/Opplysningen 1881)
- Acting for IBM in an IT contract dispute against the Norwegian Public Roads Administration relating to the delivery of a new common IT solution for toll road payment in Norway and the subsequent termination of the contract.
- Advised the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries on its investment in Space Norway’s Arctic satellite broadband mission.
- Representing Telenor in a high-profile case relating to illegal file sharing and the internet service provider’s disclosure of the identity of its subscribers.
Bull & Co Advokatfirma AS fields highly regarded practitioners in the technology and media sectors; Kristian Foss focuses on data privacy and technology start-up issues, Kristin Haram Førde handles IT and technology supply work, Stian Sørensen Schilvold is an expert in privacy law, and Tom G Eilertsen is a go-to name in the market for media companies. Clients include DXC Technology, Get TDC, Opera Software and Posten Norge. Jenny Sveen Hovda heads up the department and has been active in GDPR implementation projects, and Christopher W Husebye leads the group’s telecoms expertise.
‘Our contacts at the firm are always available and always give us priority when we need them. They make us feel important and almost like a friend or partner more than a client.‘
‘Bull & Co have a very pragmatic and no-nonsense way of providing legal advice.‘
‘Bull & Co is very capable, responsive and solution-oriented. I feel that we get value for money. Stian Schilvold and the other lawyers in the firm have extensive in-house experience. I think this provides an edge to their practice as they are used to providing to-the-point advice and they understand an in-house lawyer’s dilemmas and mentality. Their technology team is among the strongest in Norway.‘
‘Stian Sørensen Schilvold is our closest contact and is impeccable in satisfying our company and its needs. He has followed our company for almost 10 years and knows us so well that he has the best understanding for our way of business.‘
‘Kristian Foss is an knowledgeable, engaged and easy going attorney.‘
‘Stian Schilvold is an excellent adviser that provides to-the-point practical advice and is always available.‘
‘Stian Schilvold is well-rounded within tech law, and provides clear and pragmatic advice.’
Kantega (open source)
The Norwegian Humanist Association
- Advised DXC Technology Norway on its negotiations with Sykehuspartner and Health South East regarding a modernisation and outsourcing contract and the related compliance issues.
- Assisting the Norwegian Humanist Association with its GDPR project.
Per-Kaare Svendsen leads the group at Kvale Advokatfirma DA, which is a key contact for telecoms clients including Telia, TDC/Get and Broadnet. Other areas of expertise for the team include data protection and GDPR mandates, digitalisation projects, big data issues and e-commerce work. Svendsen focuses on telecoms work, Lars Trygve Jenssen handles technology mandates including contracts, e-commerce issues, marketing work and data protection matters; Thomas Farhang specialises in transactional work, and Ingvild Hanssen-Bauer and Jens Christian Gjesti are active in the privacy space.
- Advising Broadnet on the high-profile investigation of a suspected security incident relating to the Norwegian emergency communication network.
- Acting for Get and TDC in Telenor’s proceedings against TDC and the Kingdom of Norway seeking an annulment of a decision by the Norwegian Communications Authority and the Ministry of Transport and Communications which ordered Telenor to reimburse NOK16m relating to discriminatory pricing practices.
- Assisting Pfizer with several privacy issues including GDPR work, data processing agreements and internal system reviews.
Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS’ standalone technology department advises on the full spectrum of issues including transactions, software development and contracting projects, technology procurement mandates, technology implementation projects and litigation. Ståle Hagen leads the practice, which also counts transactional and regulatory specialist Nils Kristian Einstabland as a key practitioner. In a recent highlight, the group advised EQT Infrastructure on its acquisition of Broadnet; other clients include Itelligence, Canon, Statnett and Felleskøpet Agri.
‘Pragmatic and result-oriented deliverables. Good knowledge from previous projects.‘
‘We primarily work with Ståle Hagen. Very good insights and provides valuable input of similar and relevant situations that we encounter. Very structured approach to all challenges we present him with.‘
Wilhelmsen IT Services
Bertel O. Steen
Auto Transport Service
Den Norske Opera & Ballett
- Advised EQT Infrastructure on its acquisition of all shares in Broadnet.
- Assisted Itelligence with its provision of an ERP solution project to Nortura.
- Acted for Felleskjøpet Agri on its reorganisation including a contract for the delivery of a new ERP system and the subsequent litigation following the termination of the contract.
The team at Wikborg Rein, which is ‘highly professional and service minded’, specialises in technology mandates and is regularly active in IT contract work, data protection and privacy projects, digital business issues and marketing law. Line Coll heads up the technology and digitalisation group and is praised by clients as ‘the most credible heavyweight data protection professional in Norway’; other key individuals include Rolf Riisnæs, who has ‘in-depth knowledge of IT contracts’; specialist counsel Gry Hvidsten, who focuses on privacy and data protection mandates; and specialist counsel Hanna Beyer Olaussen, who handles technology transfer contracts and online marketing work.
‘WR is always available to discuss and give advice on small and larger issues, often at short notice. Always reliable. The team combines in-depth competence from different sectors and areas in order to give advice which is of practical use during the procurement process. The team’s competence is of a very high standard, and consists of both senior and more junior personnel, which makes the team more flexible and expedient.‘
‘Quick in understanding the needs of the client, deep knowledge, creative when there are challenges in finding a common path between the contracting parties.‘
‘Wikborg Rein’s team excels in delivering exceptional quality, on time and as agreed; is highly professional with a focus on clients’ interests first. They strive to exceed expectations and possess the capability to deliver expert assistance in a wide variety of industries in the global setting. What makes them unique, however, is their ability to truly listen, understand and think like their client in order to deliver top-notch legal assistance and advisory services. This is ultimately WR’s strength in comparison to other firms.‘
‘Rolf Riisnæs has in-depth knowledge of various ICT-contracts and a unique understanding of the various challenges which may arise during a public procurement process.‘
‘In my opinion, Rolf Riisnæs stands out from competitors because he has a unique ability to negotiate and write well balanced, large IT strategic sourcing contracts enabling the contractual partners to build trust, motivation and to share common goals. He also has top-notch expertise in IT global agreements and technologies.‘
‘Line Coll is most likely the most credible heavyweight data protection professional in Norway.‘
‘Gry Hvidsten is truly engaged in her area of expertise (data protection) and has a terrific understanding of the issues at hand.‘
‘Gry Hvidsten has a deep knowledge of privacy law. This combined with practical experience makes for a very potent combination when it comes to giving legal advice that is to the core of what the client needs.‘
Transocean Offshore (North Sea) Ltd. NUF
Aker Solutions ASA
Yara International ASA
Toppindustrisenteret AS (Digital Norway)
DIFI-Direktoratet for Forvaltning og IKT
VY Norge AS (former Norges Statsbaner (NSB))
Orkla ASA / Orkla IT AS
Huawei Technologies Norway AS
- Advised Asko on its GDPR compliance project.
- Advised Jotun on the exploitation of a new technology and a cooperation agreement with a major industrial player.
- Acted for Nordic Capital on its purchase of Signicat.
At Arntzen de Besche, the technology and innovation group’s expertise encompasses telecoms and IT work, marketing law, e-commerce issues, media mandates and data privacy matters. The practice is notably active in the oil services and offshore, IT, automotive, retail, telecoms, life sciences and media sectors; clients include Petroleum Geo-Services, Merck, Shell and Baxter International. Litigator Andreas Nordby leads the department, which also includes Tommy Dahlen in Trondheim, who rejoined the firm in mid-2019 from an in-house role. Espen Sandvik is now a judge.
Baxter International, Inc
Petroleum Geo-Services ASA
Helse Midt-Norge RHF
Bilfinger Industrier AS
The SINTEF Foundation (including all divisions and subsidiaries)
- Advised Shearwater GeoServices on its acquisition of the marine seismic assets and operations of WesternGeco.
- Acting for Videxio on its merger with Pexip.
- Assisting Corvus Energy Holding with its acquisition of all shares in Grenland Energy.
BAHR’s TMT expertise is focused on advertising and marketing law including handling advertising campaigns and online marketing issues; the team also has experience in transactional work, licensing and franchising matters, fintech issues and TMT disputes. Key contacts include Are Stenvik and Lars Kristian Sande; Lars Norheim, who handles issues in the retail and media sectors; transactional expert Svein Gerhard Simonnæs, and regulatory specialist Beret Sundet.
Bristol Myers Squibb
Eisai & Co
Eli Lilly & Co
Merck & Co
Reitangruppen (REMA 1000, 7-Eleven)
Modern Times Group MTG (TV3, Viasat)
- Advised the Reitan Group on the structuring and drafting of its master license and licensing agreements.
- Assisting Rema 1000 i Norge with the development of an app-based customer loyalty programme and discount scheme.
- Acted for Ice.net on the renegotiation of its National Roaming Agreement with Telia.
The TMT practice at Advokatfirmaet CLP DA is noted for its expertise acting for software and internet companies at a global level, regularly handling licensing issues, litigation, contract drafting and regulatory matters. The team is also increasing its focus on technology transfer work in digital payment solutions technology and energy-related software applications. Stephan Brodschöll leads the technology law department and is a key contact for contractual and regulatory advice.
Agder Energi Kraftforvaltning AS
View Software AS
Vivaldi Technologies AS
Boost Communications AS
Bakken & Bækk AS
Made for Movement AS
Norigin Media AS
Symetri Collaboration AS
House of Control AS
- Advising Agder Energi on a software development project for the energy sector.
- Acted for Hafslund Marked on its implementation of GDPR.
- Assisting Kommunalbanken with a digitalisation project.
Advokatfirmaet Hjort leverages its strong litigation expertise to handle TMT disputes with notable expertise in the telecoms and media sectors; the practice also handles technology projects in the energy and telecoms sector and has in-depth knowledge of privacy regulations and personal data protection issues. Department head Kristin Veierød has notable knowledge of telecoms regulation and counts Telenor as a key client; and Monica Syrdal focuses on the media sector and acts for broadcasters and content distributors involved in traditional media platforms and online content distribution. Claude Lenth is recommended for data protection mandates.
‘We work with Monica Syrdal, who is a very skilled lawyer in competition law and IP law. She has in depth knowledge within the TV and media business and is a very proactive and service-minded lawyer.‘
‘The company has a broad spectrum of competencies, thus they can put together a team or direct us to the “right” partner.‘
‘Fast, willing and able. All the partners we have worked with have met our expectations when it comes to quality and time. We are also pleased with their ability to communicate progress and track costs.‘
M-Brain (previously Opoint)
Agder Energi Nett
Norges televisjon AS
Avinor AS/Avinor Flysikring AS
Espira Gruppen AS
Nasjonalt utviklingssenter for barn og unge (NUBU) “Norwegian Center for Child and Youth Behaviour”
Ringnes AS (part of Carlsberg Group)
- Advised Kabel Norge on a proposal for new legislation requiring ISPs to block gambling-related content from the web.
- Represented M-Brain Norge in a civil dispute relating to the right to digitally monitor all newspaper articles published by the Norwegian press including articles protected by a digital pay wall.
- Advised Amnesty International on its GDPR compliance.
Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS
Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS’ areas of focus span e-commerce issues, data protection and privacy work, marketing law and the technology, media and entertainment sectors. Practice head Vebjørn Søndersrød is experienced in the retail, internet sales and software sectors and handles issues relating to marketing and advertising work, GDPR, consumer law and domain name matters. Jan Morten Evertsen is also a key name to note for media-related work; he counts film and TV production companies as clients.
‘Unlike other companies we have tried in this area, Advokatfirmaet Ræder provide complementary professional advice that gives us better insight into all the necessary reviews. They also have several highly competent people who assist when needed.‘
‘Solid legal knowledge, and very good information about commercial changes in the market.‘
‘Vebjørn Søndersrød is an outstanding professional. He is proactive in matters of vital importance to our company and has very high engagement and availability. His advice stands as No. 1 in the industry.‘
Nordic Choice Hotels
BankID Norge AS
IDEX Biometrics ASA
ANFO (Norwegian association of advertisers)
Thin Film Electronics ASA
180.no Nummeropplysningen AS
XXL Sport & Villmark AS
McDonald’s (Food Folk Norge AS)
Specsavers Norway AS
Xplora Mobile AS
- Advised Nordic Choice Hotels Group on its GDPR compliance.
- Assisting Power Norge with a decision by the Norwegian Consumer Authority relating to misleading marketing.
- Acting for IDEX Biometrics on its negotiations for several partner agreements.
Brækhus Advokatfirma DA specialises in IT contracts including bid assessments, negotiations, public procurement issues and change management work. The team counts Capgemini Norge as a key client and also includes TeliaSonera Norge, Flytoget and Volvo Maskin on its client roster. Practice head Christian Bendiksen is highly regarded for his artificial intelligence expertise and is also experienced in procurement matters; Stein E Hove handles IT litigation and Brede A Haglund focuses on commercial contracts.
Capgemini Norge AS
TeliaSonera Norge AS
Flytoget – the Oslo Airport Express Train
Volvo Maskin AS
Den norske forleggerforening – the Norwegian Publishers’ Association
Mohawk Analytics AS
Ringeriks-Kraft AS / SMARTliv AS
Health Tech AS / now Touchpoint Norway AS
GiG Norge AS
Yamaha Motor Europe N.V.
Idemitsu Petroleum Norge AS
Focus Software AS
Rubin Medical AS
INELO Polska sp. z.o.o.
Hunton Fiber AS
The Study Association (AOF)
The Norwegian Union of Leadership and Technology (HK)
The Norwegian Union of Commerce and Office Employees
Eie Franchise AS
- Appointed as trustee by the Competition Authority to oversee Telia’s behavioural commitments following its acquisition of Tele2.
- Advised the Publishers’ Association and the Association of Bookstores on a draft regulation exempting the distribution of books from the Competition Act.
- Acting for Flytoget on a range of issues including the implementation of GDPR and a potential dispute with an IT service provider relating to service levels.
DLA Piper assists clients at a domestic and international level and utilises the global network to handle cross-border GDPR, data protection and cyber-crime mandates. Petter Bjerke leads the group and has notable expertise in media, broadcasting and advertising matters across print and digital platforms, and also advises regulatory bodies and technology clients on commercial agreements.
European Gaming & Betting Association
XXL Sport & Villmark
- Advised a number of medium and large sized companies on their GDPR projects.
- Acting for the European Gaming and Betting Association on personal data and constitutional issues relating to payment-blocking obligations.
- Assisting Vodafone with electronic communications and data protection law issues relating to the introduction of new services in Norway.
Joakim Marstrander leads the department at EY Norway, which is a key name in the market for blockchain and cryptocurrency work; it recently advised clients on initial coin offering and security token offering issues. The group is also active in data protection and privacy mandates and leverages the firm’s global network to assist with cross-border matters. Other key individuals include Gjert Melsom, who is experienced in tax-related work; and IP specialist Andreas Bjørnebye.
Friend Software Corporation AS
Mavi App AS
A K Jensen Limited (AKJ)
EY Skye Consulting AS
Travel Retail Norway AS
Eyepoc AS / By Norwegian AS
Proteam Trading Ltd
Norwegian Fashion Hub
Katrine URI Design AS
Mishcon de Reya
- Advising JsGenesis on the issuance of tokens for ownership and governance over its new ‘decentralised youtube’ platform.
- Assisting Miris with a potential share token offering that will serve as a digitised share of a real estate development.
- Acting for Iagon on issues relating to its decentralised cloud-based platform linked to the Ethereum blockchain.
SANDS handles the full range of TMT issues including transactions, investment issues, regulatory advice and litigation. The group is particularly noted for its technology research and development expertise and is a go-to name for domestic technology incubators; it also regularly acts for investors including private equity firms, funds and venture capital providers investing in the TMT sector. Transactional specialist Stig Nordal heads up the department, which also fields Gisle Edvard Årnes, who handles technology contracts, and media and entertainment sector expert Ketil Sellæg Ramberg.
‘They have gone above and beyond what can be expected from them on the job they have done for us. They took a much more strategic approach to the job than just writing new contracts.‘
‘Best IT lawyers in Norway. Know their way around the domain and have enough experience to be helpful quickly and with the best solutions.‘
‘Work primarily with Stig Nordal and Martin Brox. They are both experts in their field and very friendly at the same time. They know their clients and their needs very well, and have tailored their approach to helping these clients – which is different depending on the client’s urgency, company size, severity of issue and so on.‘
Aleris Medical Group
Basic Internet Foundation
Oslo Cancer Cluster
- Acting for StartupLab, a technology incubator, on a range of issues including funding processes, privacy matters and programme establishments.
- Assisting ICT Norway with the development of its new standard agreements.
- Advising No Isolation, a technology company which has developed a robot to target loneliness in school children, on issues relating to the collection of personal data and its terms and conditions.