IP and technology boutique ADVOKATFIRMAET GJESSINGREIMERS AS specialises in all matters related to IP, acting on both contentious and non-contentious patent, trade mark and copyright matters as well as transactional IP issues, with a particular focus on acting for international clients in cross-border patent and trade mark disputes. The team has expertise in the life sciences sector, including the pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, consumer goods and food and beverages, media and entertainment sectors as well as the aquaculture, agro-industry and energy industries. Felix Reimers leads the team, Amund Brede Svendsen focuses on trade secret and unfair competition litigation and Ida Gjessing and Yngve Øyehaug Opsvik specialise in patent and trade mark disputes. Julius Berg Kaasin joined Brækhus Advokatfirma DA in 2021.
Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Intellectual property in Norway
Other key lawyers:
Amund Brede Svendsen; Ida Gjessing; Yngve Øyehaug Opsvik
‘The first true IP boutique law firm in Norway.’
‘Ida Gjessing was excellent and clearly very knowledgeable in the area of artwork commissioning.’
Norsk Hydro ASA
Aker Solutions ASA
Glaxo Smith Kline
Stiftelsen Norges Geotekniske Institutt – NGI
The Y-block activist group
- Represented Aker Solutions AS in a patent infringement and revocation case in the Oslo District Court relating to a patent for a well head system for application in sub sea oil well exploration.
- Initiated preliminary and ordinary proceedings to preserve the Y-block in the Norwegian governmental quarter as well as to prevent the current plans for relocation of Picasso and Nesjar murals in the new quarter as contrary to the authors’ moral rights.
BAHR handles full array of intellectual property mandates, advising on contentious and non-contentious patent, trade mark and copyright issues as well as national advertising campaigns. The team is ‘one of the best for patent litigation’, representing various multinational corporations in cross-border disputes, particularly in the life sciences and pharmaceuticals sector; it also acts for various domestic retail, oil and gas and media and entertainment clients. The ‘meticulous’ Are Stenvik has particular expertise in patent matters and jointly leads the team with deputy head Eirik Basmo Ellingsen. Gunnar Sørlie specialises in pharmaceuticals patent disputes, and Lars Norheim and Beret Sundet focus on the retail and TMT sectors respectively.
Are Stenvik; Eirik Basmo Ellingsen
Other key lawyers:
Gunnar Sørlie; Lars Norheim; Beret Sundet
‘BAHR is one of the best with patent litigation. They are very thorough, thoughtful, ethical, responsive, and knowledgeable. The interaction was fluent and efficient, before presenting a case with the utmost clarity.’
‘Are Stenvik is a highly professional litigator, meticulous, thoughtful and knowledgeable in science and patent law perspectives. Eirik Basmo Ellingsen is very communicative and responsive, thorough, thoughtful and knowledgeable.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
- Assisted REMA 1000 AS and Reitan Convenience AS with structuring and drafting its master license and licensing arrangements, relating to its substantial portfolio of trade marks, as well as on its implementation of Workplace by Facebook as a communications platform internally and in its 650 stores.
- Acted for Aker Biomarine in a dispute over the rights to a fisheries patent, and particularly whether the rights had been purchased by Aker Biomarine when acquiring a bankruptcy estate.
- Represented Baker Hughes/GE Oil & Gas in a patent invalidation case over the alleged infringement of a patent for subsea scale squeezing and well killing technology brought by Subsea Smart Solutions, which raise important questions on the scope of protection and validity of patents in the subsea technology area.
The intellectual property practice at Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS advises on contentious and non-contentious copyright, patent and trade mark matters as well as unfair competition issues, trade secrets mandates and contracts for research and development work. The team, headed up by Leif Eirik Thrane and Vebjørn Krag Iversen, fields ‘heavy-hitters in patent litigation’ and regularly acts for clients in the media, life sciences and technology sectors in cross-border litigation. Andreas Bernt specialises in matters encompassing digitalisation and copyright issues, while Håkon Bleken, who is praised as ‘pre-eminent in his field’, is experienced in patent litigation in the pharmaceuticals sector, and Håkon Austdal focuses on regulatory mandates.
Vebjørn Krag Iversen; Leif Eirik Thrane
Other key lawyers:
Andreas Bernt; Håkon Bleken; Håkon Austdal; Arne Byberg; Andreas Gard Meyer
‘Haavind have a great team in the field of IP litigation. They are heavy-hitters in patent litigation.’
‘Håkon Bleken is pre-eminent in his field. He is a forceful advocate that seems to have a telepathic understanding of the court. His advice is practical and realistic. An excellent choice.’
‘Well-balanced mixture of careful and exhaustive counselling and straightforward and tough litigation skills. Extremely good in trial situations.’
‘Ability to turn around fast and provide precise advice in a complex environment.’
‘In addition to always being on top of the law aspects of the matters at hand, they have a particularly friendly approach making them a real pleasure to work with.’
‘The team is composed of employees with different strengths and knowledge that overall means their delivery is of a very high quality.’
‘Employees have a very high level of competence within their fields. One experiences that they are always available and flexible.’
‘Very professional people. Extremely knowledgeable and very approachable.’
‘Arne Byberg is very eloquent, knowledgeable and an excellent writer. Andreas Bernt is smart, creative and innovative. Andreas Gard Meyer is consistent, supportive and stable.’
Æra Strategic Innovation AS
Broadnet / Global Connect
- Acted for STIM AS in a major patent litigation concerning patents within the aquaculture sector.
- Represented RiksTV in a dispute with TONO regarding copyright clearance within TV distribution.
- Representing Heraeus in an appeal case regarding trade secrets and unfair competition in the medtech sector.
Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS covers all aspects of IP matters, including trade marks, patents, copyrights, unfair competition issues, domain names and trade secrets disputes, as well as providing non-contentious advice on strategic matters. The team is experienced in matters pertaining to international patents and trade secrets, particularly in the life sciences and pharmaceuticals sectors, and has considerable experience in complex copyright disputes in the news, media and entertainment fields. Practice head Camilla Vislie is an experienced IP litigator, while Eirik W Raanes and Magnus Hauge Greaker provide ‘invaluable knowledge and analysis’ and specialise in litigation, pre-litigation and non-contentious work as well as transactional matters and issues relating to trade secrets.
Other key lawyers:
Eirik W Raanes; Magnus Hauge Greaker; Charlotte Hognes
‘Camilla Vislie provides good, clear and practical advice in patent litigation.’
‘Thommessen’s team provides excellent support on complicated cases.’
‘Charlotte Hognes, associate, and Magnus Hauge Greaker, managing associate, have demonstrated a strategic mindset, excellent customer focus, and the desire and ability to drive results.’
‘Having worked with Eirik Raanes and Magnus Greaker for many years, their knowledge and clear analysis has been invaluable. Their no-nonsense approach is a very good basis upon which to build a case.’
‘Eirik Raanes and Magnus Greaker have a good and thorough understanding of cases and technology behind them. They have a real good sense of what the core issues are and do not shy away from a discussion if they believe it is beneficial for the case.’
‘Camilla Vislie is highly-qualified and well-experienced within her field. She is a pleasure to work with.’
TEVA and Yeda
Lilleborg AS (an Orkla ASA company)
Zimmer Biomet Norway AS
Video Communications Services AS
Enhanced Drilling AS
Dagens Næringsliv AS
Intervet International BV
Manimal Energy A
Rolex (Gros & Waltenspühl)
GW Pharma AS
- Acted for TEVA and YEDA in patent litigation against Mylan.
- Acted for Lilleborg AS in a trade mark and unfair competition dispute with Unilever. The case concerns the largest cleaning brand in Norway, JIF.
- Acted for BioMar in a complex patent infringement and validity dispute against STIM AS and MariCal Inc.
The intellectual property practice at Wiersholm provides advisory and litigation advice across the full range of IP matters, including patents, trade marks and copyrights. The team, which is headed up by the ‘highly skilled’ and ‘very valuable’ Hans Erik Johnsen and Rune Opdahl, acts for clients from various industries with particular experience in the media and IT sectors, acting at the interface of content creation and the exploitation of content, as well as the fishery, retail and oil and gas sectors. Magnus Hellesylt and Kai Thøgersen are experienced in acting in litigation and handling negotiations for large multinational corporations from the IT, TMT and retail sectors. Anne Marie Sejersted joined the firm from Kvale Advokatfirma DA in mid-2021.
Hans Erik Johnsen; Rune Opdahl
Other key lawyers:
Magnus Hellesylt; Kai Thøgersen; Anne Marie Sejersted
‘Hans Erik Johnsen is really nice to work with; he is so friendly and also highly-skilled. He knows business and the market really well.’
‘Very in-depth knowledge regarding TV, media and content.’
‘Hans Erik Johnsen has over 20 years of experience in TV/media. It makes him very valuable in the market shift that is going on.’
‘‘Anne Marie Sejersted is a very experienced litigator in Norway, with vast experience from many cases. Very knowledgeable in legal and patent matters, with a strategic focus and is always thorough in her work. An excellent litigator in court hearings. Easy to work together with in litigation teams too.’
Telenor Norge AS and Telenor ASA
Rimfrost AS and Rimfrost Technologies AS
Nordic Nanovector ASA
Ino Drift AS
Aller Media Group
Novamedia Norsk Postkodelotteri AS
Helly Hansen AS
Discovery Networks Norway AS
- Represented Telenor in a dispute before the Supreme Court regarding a claim from a movie distributor for disclosure of IP data due to the alleged illegal file-sharing of movies.
- Represented Augmenti in a patent dispute of principle and commercial importance before the Norwegian courts regarding an inventor’s duty of loyalty, i.e. the obligation to contribute to the granting of a US patent by signing a declaration necessary for the application procedure.
- Acted as legal counsel for Rimfrost in a major patent dispute against Aker BioMarine before the Appeal Court and the Supreme Court.
Wikborg Rein handles the full range of issues in the intellectual property field, including trade marks, patents and licenses and acts in domain name disputes as well as counterfeiting investigations. In addition, the team has a strong track record in assisting with the intellectual property aspects of transactions in the financial services and insurance sectors. The group's client roster also includes companies in the life sciences and pharmaceuticals, oil and gas, retail and public sectors. Line Coll and Hanna Beyer Olaussen head up the team, while Gunnar Meyer acts in intellectual property litigation at all court levels.
Line Coll; Hanna Beyer Olaussen
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is sincere, competent, thorough and precise. They are clear in communication and proactive in may ways.’
‘Fantastic team of IP lawyers operating at the top of the market in Norway.’
‘Gunnar Meyer is a go-to partner. He provides timely strategic advice, without losing sight of the commercial imperatives. An overall excellent patent litigator.’
‘The team is competent and responsive.’
‘These individuals are professional, cordial and responsive. They treat matters with the urgency deserved.’
‘Hanne Beyer Olaussen has a solution-oriented approach. She is service-minded and has an enormous knowledge of IP law. Hanna Beyer is very efficient, always extremely well-prepared and ready to help out.’
Ikano Bank AB
Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Kavli Holding AS
Vygruppen AS (former Norges Statsbaner)
Digital Norway AS
Norsk Medisinsk Syklotronsenter AS
Archer Oiltools AS
- Acted for Vygruppen AS in a number of trade mark and marketing disputes related to the change of name from NSB to VY.
- Acted for Ikano Bank in a matter relating to Bank Norwegian’s use of its company names/trade marks as Adwords.
- Represented Teva Europe B.V. in a dispute with Novartis relating to its blockbuster drug Ritalin.
Advokatfirmaet Schjødt acts for clients from various sectors, including large multi-national corporations and domestic companies in the IT, automotive, technology and oil and gas industries, on the full range of IP matters, including patents, trade marks, licenses and anti-counterfeiting mandates. The team, led by ‘top IP litigator’ Halvor Manshaus and experienced negotiator Kaare M Risung, is also experienced in IP transactions. Thomas Hagen focuses on trade secrets and marketing law and Sigurd Holter Torp is experienced in handling large, complex IP disputes. Knut Sverre Skurdal Andresen joined from BAHR in late 2019 and focuses on technology patent disputes.
Halvor Manshaus; Kaare M Risung
Other key lawyers:
Knut Sverre Skurdal Andresen; Thomas Hagen; Sigurd Holter Torp
‘Halvor Manshaus is a diligent and experienced IP lawyer able to cover the various aspects of a case with grace. He is the top IP litigator in Norway. Thomas Hagen is an experienced IP lawyer with a commercial mindset and practical approach to any situation. He has the ability to evaluate difficult situations and provide clear, well-founded and precise advice suitable for our needs.’
‘The team from Schjodt, with Thomas Hagen and Halvor Manshaus, are experts with experience, and they win!’
‘A large Norwegian firm with a good IP section.’
‘Knut Andresen is a rising star in Norwegian IP. He is already remarkably experienced, careful and precise, he produces excellent legal work and has a tremendous court presence. He will be a defining lawyer in his generation.’
‘Halvor Manshaus is outstanding; he’s great at reshaping legal problems as strategic opportunities.’
Webmegling Technology AS
Norsk Medisinaldepot AS
Leve Hytter AS
Subsea Smart Solutions AS and Subsea Solutions AS
Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Represented Merck Sharp & Dohme in significant injunction proceedings, spanning multiple jurisdictions.
- Acted for IKM Cleandrill in a series of patent and IP court cases related to new and innovative technology for offshore operations.
- Successfully acted in a trade mark case for Apple before the Supreme Court of Norway.
Bull & Co Advokatfirma AS provides ‘intelligent, thorough and creative legal advice on unfair competition, trade mark, design and copyright matters’ as well as marketing law and fair use issues. The practice is focused on the TMT sector and, in particular, the media and entertainment fields, with large domestic film production companies on the client roster as well international players from the music industry. Rune Nordengen currently heads up the practice. Bente Holmvang focuses on anti-counterfeiting issues, and Tom Eilertsen specialises in the music and film industries. Jan Morten Evertsen and Lisa Digernes joined from Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS in early 2020.
Jenny Sveen Hovda; Rune Nordengen
Other key lawyers:
Lisa Digernes; Tom Eilertsen; Jan Morten Evertsen; Bente Holmvang
‘Lawyers have a broad knowledge base.’
‘The flexibility and working capacity they show is really important for international working (in different time zones), particularly when needing answers at any time of the day. Their communication skills are a big advantage compared to others.’
‘Passionate lawyers, prompt service, intelligent, thorough and creative legal advice on unfair competition, trade mark, design and copyright matters. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Jan Morten Evertsen knows the industry and issues to deal with.’
‘Bull & Co offers support in all activities related to brand enforcement. They maintain close contact with all authorities and offer a seamless transfer of all information. The entire firm is a highly esteemed partner.’
‘Rune Nordengen shines with great commitment and support in every respect. Further, he maintains excellent relations with all authorities, so that the handling of the cases goes smoothly.’
‘Lisa Digernes has a profound understanding of the art market and industry players. Digernes has, with her personal interest and engagement in the arts, built up a strong and rare set of capabilities as a particularly skilled legal adviser. She delivers purposeful and thorough work at all levels, having mastered managing the balance between discretion and information in her extensive network. She is fast, tidy and reliable, as well as a very positive, pleasant and exciting member of the team. No other legal advisers can offer similar expertise.’
Amer Sports Corporation
International Sámi Film Institute
Monday Media, including Monday Production, Teddy TV & Feelgood
Nobel Peace Centre
Subway International BV
The Norwegian Film School
Virke – The Enterprise Federation of Norway
- Advised TRY as counsel on all legal issues it encountered in relation to copyright, trade marks, and marketing law.
- Advised Subway on a range of intellectual property issues relating to trade mark, marketing, franchising and other contract matters.
- Advised Qvisten on all IP issues and agreements related to film production, including animation films.
Kvale Advokatfirma DA advises clients, which include large multinational corporations from the life sciences, offshore, media, retail and food and beverage sectors, on the full range of matters, including patents, trade marks and unfair marketing work. Headed up by Marie Vaale-Hallberg, who also specialises in corporate and M&A matters, the practice further advises on the IP aspects of contractual and transactional matters. Ingvild Hanssen-Bauer is recognised for her ‘outstanding work as a litigator’, particularly in the pharmaceuticals sector, and Lars Trygve Jenssen focuses on trade marks and unfair competition cases as well as licensing issues. Former practice co-head Anne Marie Sejersted joined Wiersholm in mid-2021.
Other key lawyers:
Ingvild Hanssen-Bauer; Lars Trygve Jenssen
‘The IP litigation team at Kvale is highly knowledgeable within the field in Norway, being very dedicated to, and thorough in, all work. From my experience when working with them they are outstanding in strategy also for complex litigation matters. They always consider and focus on what is best for the client and taking the right measures. They are very good team players and easy to work with in larger litigation teams with a high degree of flexibility, competence and dedication.’
‘Ingvild Hanssen-Bauer is highly knowledgeable and has many years of experience in litigation in Norway, particularly in the pharmaceuticals field, but also in other sectors. She is very easy to work together with, also as part of a larger team, and is highly dedicated to maintaining client focus. She has done outstanding work as a litigator and really dug into the technical and legal aspects of various complex patent cases which paid out with the obtained positive results. She is also open-minded for new solutions and strategies.’
‘The team has experience with patent cases and also litigation process knowledge. The combination is valuable.’
‘The team is always polite, to-the-point and bases statements and pleadings on facts.’
‘The qualities the individuals in the team possess are politeness, the ability to understand technology, the development of sound strategies for the defence, communication and involvement, being well on time and planning ahead.’
‘We are very impressed by the highly-skilled team at Kvale. What makes them stand out is the combination of legal expertise, business understanding and pragmatism. Also how they delivered as a strong team.’
‘Marie Vaale-Hallberg is a highly-skilled and analytical lawyer/litigator. A great team leader who leverages the expertise and strength of her team members.’
Jaguar Land Rover
The Norwegian National Museum
Ranheim Paper & Board
- Acting for Mylan and Synthon in patent disputes.
- Representing Unilever in a high-profile legal dispute with Orkla/Lilleborg, one of the biggest FMCG-companies in Norway, involving trade marks.
- Advised Sandoz on a patent matter relating to the pharmaceutical compound, rituximab.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig’s IP practice has a notable presence in the media sector, acting for film and television clients, and regularly assists with copyright issues. The team is also experienced in patent litigation, acting for major pharmaceuticals companies, and handles trade mark matters and the IP aspects of transactions. Cecilia Orheim heads up the team, which includes Rune Ljostad, who is ‘exceptional in his knowledge’ of IP matters, particularly copyright and patent issues relating to bio-technology. Nicholas Foss Barbantonis and Hedda Baumann Heier specialise in the technology and media sectors respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Hedda Baumann Heier; Nicholas Foss Barbantonis; Rune Ljostad
‘My contact with SVW has been associate partner Cecilia Orheim. I am very pleased with her assistance in all kinds of cases related to IP and marketing etc. She responds quickly, is always available and provides very good and practical legal advice. She is very experienced in the field of IP and marketing, and as a former in-house lawyer she knows what kind of assistance an in-house lawyer needs.’
‘High professional level, good communication skills and fast delivery.’
‘Rune Ljostad is exceptional in his knowledge about IP legislation, both regarding Norwegian law but also many other countries’ legislations. He is always happy to help, an excellent lawyer and a joy to work with.’
Motion Pictures Association
Bank Norwegian AS
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA
Coop Norge SA
Louis Poulsen A/S
Telia Norge AS
Katapult Accelerator AS / Katapult Ocean AS
- Defended Bank Norwegian AS against three competing banks, Komplett Bank, Ikano Bank and Monobank, which alleged that Bank Norwegian’s use of their trade marks as search terms represented a breach of the Marketing Act’s provision on good business practice between traders.
- Acted as strategic legal adviser on all IP matters globally for Huddly, including the negotiation of major license and development agreements with some of the largest multinational technology companies in the world.
- Acted for Amedia AS, in connection with a trade mark dispute related to it’s new major online newspaper Nidaros.
Arntzen de Besche is experienced in handling a variety of IP matters, including copyright, patent and trade mark issues as well as the IP aspects of transactions. Practice head Andreas Nordby focuses on IP litigation and arbitration proceedings, particularly in the technology, life sciences and bio-technology sectors. Tommy Dahlen focuses on non-contentious advice and regularly acts for large domestic and international companies on the implementation of IP protection strategies.
Other key lawyers:
Tommy Dahlen; Christopher Hestnes
‘Always respond in a friendly, professional and timely manner.’
‘Christopher Hestnes is professional, efficient and sticks to timelines. Responds faster than anticipated. High quality!’
‘The IP team in Arntzen de Besche, Trondheim has first-hand experience as in-house IP lawyers in IP companies. This experience is used in their daily work, which enhances their understanding of both legal and practical issues and challenges their clients may experience.’
‘Diverse experience with different technologies and IP segments held by Tommy Dahlen enables him to understand and also provide focus on often the most difficult aspects in any IP licence agreement.’
‘High professional quality on IP, and excellent customer responsiveness.’
Baxter International, Inc
Petroleum Geo-Services ASA
Helse Midt-Norge RHF
Bilfinger Industrier AS
- Representing two individuals in relation to a motion for seizure of evidence brought by Cisco Systems Norway AS and Cisco Systems, Inc. against the company Neatframe AS, its chairman of the board, one of the investors in Neatframe, and the clients.
- Successfully acted for Nortura SA in a procedural matter before the Norwegian Committee for Control of Unfair Competition, an ADR tribunal, regarding a product infringement issue.
- Assisting Shearwater with the creation of a new streamer technology joint venture under the Sercel brand name and CGG’s majority ownership, for the development, manufacturing, commercialisation and support of marine streamer seismic acquisition systems.
Many of the clients of Advokatfirmaet CLP DA stem from the technology and IT sectors, which is one of the firm's focus areas, and include software companies, start-ups, media houses and technology companies. With regard to IP work, the team frequently advises on transactions, assists with licensing and trade secret issues, and acts in intellectual property disputes. Hanne Heltne, who was previously senior legal counsel at a media company, jointly heads up the practice with Stephan Brodschöll.
Hanne Heltne; Stephan Brodschöll
‘CLP brings rare world-class IP competence that is hard to find in our region. They are particularly experienced in how to help Norwegian companies protect software IP internationally. They offer an excellent service and invest in understanding client needs and goals.’
‘CLP comes across as solution-oriented, and uses its experience to not simply solve a task, but to also think about how the challenge they are working on fits with other commitments and company goals. They challenge client thinking and listen to needs in order to provide the best solution, being always available for, and responsive to, all tasks.’
‘To-the-point, cooperative and no hassle whatsoever.’
‘Always ready to advise.’
‘Strong knowledge and a fast, pragmatic assessment of matters.’
‘Stephan Brodschöll has extremely good control, he is calm and efficient. An excellent adviser who is pragmatic and helps deal with issues that should have highest priority.’
‘Hanne Heltne is recommended on intellectual property matters. She utilises her extensive in-house experience to provide pragmatic and value-for-money advice.’
‘Great service, great advice. They make difficult law accessible.’
‘The CLP team are well-versed in IP subject matter, and made themselves available. This included working over summer holiday period, and accompanying our team for final negotiations. It is knowledgeable and has a company culture dedicated to enhancing customer satisfaction and building strong customer relationships.’
Tellu IoT AS
Interwell P&A AS
Agder Energi AS
- Acted for Nedermann Holding AB in a cease and desist process towards a third party, for breach of non-compete and IP license agreement.
- Assisted a small Norwegian technology company with assessing, securing and protecting its IP and trade secrets.
- Advised VGTV, the television part of Norwegian leading newspaper VG, on the negotiations for licensing of photo, video and other rights for use in a Netflix documentary.
Advokatfirmaet Hjort has a strong presence in the media and telecoms sectors, frequently acting on copyright matters, and is recognised for its litigation expertise. The team is experienced in issues concerning block chain technology and IP management work as well as contracts relating to patent, copyright and marketing law. Practice head Monica Syrdal specialises in collective licensing mandates and online transmissions of audio-visual content, while Rolf Trolle Andersen and Nils Christian Langtvedt are focused on patent rights and IP disputes respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Rolf Trolle Andersen; Nils Christian Langtvedt
VKR Holding A/S
Augusto International AS
Asian Food Import AS
Infomedia Norge AS
Oil States International, Inc and Oil States Industries (UK) Limited
Samlerhuset Norge AS
- Represented Ruter in a piracy case involving the illegal sale and distribution of digital tickets to Ruter’s public transport system. The matter also involves trade mark infringements and product copying.
- Represented Belgian entity Barco in a major dispute against Norxe AS and ten former Barco employees, regarding illegal acquisition and use of Barco’s technical and commercial business secrets to develop a competing video projector.
- Represented Infomedia in a dispute before Oslo District Court. The case involved allegations of copyright infringements and the interpretation of copyright licensing agreements.
Kluge Advokatfirma AS acts for corporate clients from the technology, media and IT industries, as well as public entities including ministries, on the full range of IP matters. The team, which is headed up by Thomas Rieber-Mohn, advises on matters pertaining to employee inventions, due diligence processes, transactions, product imitations and the negotiation and drafting of contracts. Kyrre Tangen Andersen specialises in technology related IP rights. Steffen Asmundsson and Stian Oddbjørnsen are further key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Kyrre Tangen Andersen; Steffen Asmundsson; Stian Oddbjørnsen
‘They are very professional and conduct their duty in a highly ethical manner. They challenge you as a customer to achieve the best possible objectives for your case.’
‘Know their trade and focus area.’
‘Kluge’s IP team is young, ambitious and highly competent.’
‘Kyrre Tangen Andersen is an exceptional attorney and litigator in all aspects of IP, including highly complex patent litigation cases, where he is able to understand any technology in detail and apply this in a legal setting.’
‘A proactive ability to understand highly technical issues. Solution-oriented.’
‘They work together as a firm, so we always get the correct lawyer for what our subject concerns.’
‘They work together to fulfil client needs, and always prefer to give advice, instead of pushing cases and trials.’
Norsk Tipping AS
Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation
The University of Oslo
The University of Tromsø
BI Business School (Handelshøyskolen BI)
ORG Geophysical AS
The Norwegian Library of Talking Books and Braille
Bolig Partner AS
Government Agency for Public Management and eGovernment (DIFI)
GCE Ocean Technology AS
Norwegian National Rail Administration (Jernbanedirektoratet)
The Brønnøysund Register Centre
- Acted for Norsk Tipping in a highly principled court case regarding the registered trade mark LOTTO.
- Represented ORG Geophysical in a large NOK70m dispute concerning patent rights, software rights, unfair business practices and non-compete contractual provisions.
SANDS advises clients from the media, arts, music and entertainment industries, and the aquaculture and fisheries, technology and IT sectors on various contentious and non-contentious IP matters, including copyrights, trade marks and patents. The team, which is headed up by Katrine Malmer-Høvik, is experienced in design law, marketing issues and rules on fair business practices; it also advises on global trade mark protection work. Vidar Johnsen and Ketil Sellæg Ramberg are experienced in IP litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Vidar Johnsen; Ketil Sellæg Ramberg; Aase Gundersen
‘They have skilled attorneys who also know the industries of their clients well and are therefore able to provide good and relevant advice.’
‘Vidar Johnsen always seems to find good solutions that often provide out-of-court settlements that the client is satisfied with.’
‘A unique team with extensive in-depth life sciences experience.’
‘Aase Gundersen has in-depth experience and a comprehensive understanding of the healthcare sector and pharmaceuticals industry.’
The Life Science Cluster
She Community AS
Noma Norge AS
- Advised Nofima on a broad spectrum of issues relating to the protection of its IP in various research projects.
- Advised Bohus on ensuring that its imported designs comply with Norwegian copyright law, design law, marketing law and rules on fair business practices.
- Defending Retriever in a claim brought by Dagens Næringsliv involving allegations of copyright infringement and breach of the Norwegian Marketing Act.
Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS provides IP advice to clients from all sectors, and is particularly experienced in the technology, e-commerce, entertainment and culture and banking industries. The team registers and manages trade mark portfolios, assists with research and development collaboration projects, negotiates license agreements and contracts, and acts in contentious patent and copyright disputes. Vebjørn Søndersrød leads the team and is experienced in software licensing agreements, trade mark rights and rights clearance work.
DLA Piper acts for many large international corporations on trade mark work including filing and prosecuting trade mark applications, as well as licensing and distribution matters. The team, which is led by Petter Bjerke, is also experienced in theIP aspects of transactions and contracts and provides advice on marketing law. Kjetil Haare Johansen handles research and development agreements as well as unfair competition and market abuse matters.
Other key lawyers:
Kjetil Haare Johansen
‘DLA Piper are an effective partner in enforcement strategy. They are available and reactive to enquiries. They are commercial in their approach and illustrate good knowledge of a client’s company and industry.’
‘The team are always attentive and available to support on enforcement work in Norway relating to large brand portfolios.’
Møller Mobility Group
Voi Technology AB
The Norwegian Seafood Council (Sjømatrådet)
XXL Sport & Villmark
- Advised Mondelez on its full trade mark portfolio in Norway.
- Advised Baker Hughes on various matters relating to IP ownership issues and employee inventions.
- Advised Møller Mobility Group on its marketing strategy and marketing terms for electric vehicles in order to comply with consumer protection laws.
Led by Lars Folkvard Giske, the IP team at Advokatfirmaet Føyen Torkildsen AS advises clients on the registration and protection of trade marks, acts on matters concerning trade secrets, assists with licensing issues and advises on marketing law. Knut Glad specialises in issues pertaining to the use and clearance of IP protected content including films, music, photos and software. Øyvind Eidissen Ransedokken regularly assists large multinational technology companies with IP matters, including trade mark enforcement mandates.
Lars Folkvard Giske
Other key lawyers:
Knut Glad; Øyvind Eidissen Ransedokken
‘The firm can be relied upon to carry out instructions promptly and accurately.’
‘Outstanding competence related to intellectual property based on knowledge and experience. Open minded and curious on the topic.’
‘They are dedicated, knowledgeable and very service minded. Especially I will mention Partner Øyvind Ransedokken. He has high integrity, and is dedicated, experienced and a critical contributor to solving complex intellectual property challenges.’
‘Føyen Torkildsen’s team has vast experience both in national and international IP matters, which reflects in their advice. In our experience, the firm maintains a hands-on and swift approach in interactions with clients, where thorough assessments result in practical and no-nonsense legal advice. Føyen Torkildsen offers exceptional bang for the buck compared to many other firms.’
‘Øyvind Eidissen Ransedokken stands out with impressive experience and knowledge. He combines sharp intelligence and a great theoretical understanding with a practical take on intellectual property, resulting in straightforward solutions to complex problems. Øyvind has a great understanding of what is ‘trademarkable’ and not, making him also a trusted strategical sparring partner in early phase product development where the long-term protection of IP rights is crucial.’
‘Knut Glad is a veteran specialist within the field, with an impressive track record advising on complex national and cross-border matters.’
Google LLC and Google Norway AS
Baker & McKenzie LLP
United Bakeries Norway AS
The National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design
The Norwegian National Opera & Ballet
Aera Payment & Identification AS
Anzyz Technologies AS
Bluebit Digital AS
- Assisted Google LLC and Google Norway AS with all IP (including copyright and trade mark), IT and telecom related matters.
- Assisted the entire United Bakeries company group in connection with the respective companies’ business both in Norway and internationally. The assistance included strategic IP advice, protecting and managing the different companies’ IP rights.
- Acting for the Norwegian National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design across a range of legal areas including copyright matters relevant to the museum.
Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS has a strong focus on IP litigation, trade mark protection and enforcement issues, distribution rights, unfair competition work and marketing disputes. The team has expertise in the media, fintech, technology, software, energy and retail sectors and provides advice on the IP aspects of digitalisation and artificial intelligence projects, big data mandates and trade secrets. Practice head Nils Kristian Einstabland specialises in the media, technology and fintech sectors and transactions with an IP focus.