Intellectual property in North
The 'extremely knowledgeable and professional' DWF advises on the full spectrum of intellectual property rights, with notable experience in the development, commercialisation and protection of brands and technology. Ed Meikle leads the team and is known for providing ‘the highest quality and quickly delivered advice' for national and multinational businesses. His team includes associate Alison Evans, who has particular expertise in the retail and consumer products sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm’s reaction time is always fantastic’
‘The team is quick to respond to issues and questions as and when they arise and understands that business moves fast paced’
‘They do not just offer legal advice but also offer a commercial perspective which is really useful’
‘Ed Meikle is very knowledgeable, professional and always willing to be of help. His response times for queries put his way are first class’
‘Ed Meikle is a stand out professional. Nothing is too much trouble and he provides excellent customer service’
‘Paul Attwood and Melanie Kay are also very competent lawyers whose advice has been invaluable to us’
- Provides strategic advice to Newcastle United on all its intellectual property, brand protection and brand management issues, helping the Club to protect its history and heritage for future generations of fans, advising on numerous issues including anti-counterfeiting, trade mark disputes, copyright claims, domain name disputes and IP licensing.
- Provides strategic advice to Village Hotels on all its intellectual property, brand protection and brand management issues, advising on numerous issues including trade mark disputes, copyright issues and domain name disputes.
- Provides Swizzels Matlow with strategic brand protection advice to defend and protect its valuable portfolio of brands.
- Provides strategic brand protection advice to Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc, protecting the Morrisons brands, as well as defending the company against any claims of infringement and passing off.
- Provided strategic brand protection advice to Panasonic.
Niche intellectual property practice McDaniel & Co. focuses on advising businesses that have intellectual property as their core asset. The team advises clients on a range of issues from the protection of ideas through to enforcement, including the securing of rights, their protection and ownership and the contractual arrangements for licensing, distribution, franchising and sale. IP specialist Niall Head-Rapson leads the practice and his team includes Kelly Hudson, who is a qualified trade mark attorney experienced in contentious and non-contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Kelly Hudson is a pragmatic lawyer with a strong client service ethos’
The ‘user-friendly and responsive’ Muckle LLP IP practice specialises in tech, media, sport and charity, in contentious and non-contentious matters. Alex Craig leads the team and has experience advising on a range of non-contentious IP matters. He can call on the expertise of George Festing, who focuses on contentious IP, and associate Jill Dovey, who has a particular specialism in the technology area.
‘City quality lawyers based in the North East’
‘The approach taken by the team is very commercial and provides a good cross-team mix across the different aspects of the sector’
‘Strong individuals that work together well as a team and provide a pro-active rather than reactive service wherever possible’
‘Alex Craig is an excellent commercial lawyer. Clear, concise and a true expert’
‘Associate Jill Dovey is an excellent data lawyer who is all any company needs’
‘Anthony Evans provides a knowledgeable focus to the corporate aspects of any transaction, displaying a no-nonsense approach to document negotiation’
‘George Festing is commercial, smooth and analytical’
‘Giles McCourt is proactive and advises on relevant changes, and their implications for the client when required’
Andy Taylor (Duran Duran)
Robert Barton (re Iron Maiden)
Caribbean Premier League
Zytronic Displays Limited
QPR in the Community Trust
Liverpool FC Foundation
- Acted for Zytronic Displays Limited in defending a complex claim in the Patents Court.
- Acts for Andy Taylor on matters arising from the litigation between the members of Duran Duran and Gloucester Place Music Limited, part of Sony/ATV.
- Acted for Robert Barton in a claim brought by Barry McKay against him and members of the band Iron Maiden for copyright infringement in relation to the Iron Maiden songs ‘Hallowed Be Thy Name’ and ‘The Nomad’.
- Advises the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious intellectual property rights issues.
- Represents England Athletics in relation to a wide range of contentious and non-contentious intellectual property rights issues.
Mincoffs Solicitors LLP
Franchising and licensing expert Mincoffs Solicitors LLP is known for ‘integrity, expertise and innovation’ as well as a particular expertise in technology, gaming, digital media and manufacturing industries. The firm acquired niche technology practice Particular Legal to consolidate its position in the sector. ‘Stand out partner’ Antony Hall leads the team and specialises in advising on the intellectual property rights that exist in software. Also notable is Matthew Rippon, founder of Particular Legal, who joined the team as a consultant.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice understands small business’
‘The team offers affordable and effective services’
‘The team is very responsive. They are happy to be involved in offering new businesses straightforward information and guidance about IP matters’
‘The partners really take the time to help and understand what pains the business is going through and put together a bespoke offering for this’
‘Peter Robinson and Antony Hall have gone above and beyond’
‘Antony Hall is exceptionally helpful and responsive’
Danieli Holdings Limited
- The licensing of intellectual property in the context of franchising for Lingotot Limited.
- Intellectual property rights in new product ranges developed by Nolii Limited.
- Advising on the intellectual property assets of a marketing joint promotion agreement between Daniele Holdings Limited and Global Radio Services Limited.
- Advising Lixir Ltd on the management and exploitation of their intellectual property portfolio.
- Advising the client on the licensing of video game entertainment property.
Best known for supporting high-growth technology start-ups, entrepreneurs and creative people, Ward Hadaway has experience advising businesses from the early stages through to establishment and the development and exploitation of their IP. The firm specialises in acting for universities, notably in trade marks and contentious IP cases. Alex Shiel works with clients who supply or purchase IT systems, develop or license software and work in the creative industries. He leads the team with Judy Baker in Newcastle and registered trade mark attorney Bill Goodwin, based out of Leeds.
Alex Shiel; Judy Baker; Bill Goodwin
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
The Brooke Hospital for Animals
Newcastle Building Society
PCCA Limited (formerly The Specials Laboratory)
Tech Nation (previously Tech City UK)
Northumberland National Park Authority
Immunodiagnostic Systems (IDS) plc
- Acts for Tech Nation Group through carrying out a wide range of intellectual property work, including handling trade mark registrations, sponsorship agreements, publishing agreements and contracts relating to the various products which Tech City has developed, including Digital Business Academy, the Tech Nation report and Tech Immersion.
- Acts for PCCA Limited, a major manufacturer and supplier of pharmaceutical products, including specials and generics.
- Provides legal support to start-up businesses being supported by Teesside University’s Launchpad Programme.
- Acted for the management teams of AMLo Biosciences and Apix Nutrition, two companies that have successfully spun out from Newcastle University. In each case the spin-out company has been licensed patented technology by the university.
- Provides advice on a range of IP-related matters for The Brooke Hospital for Animals, including campaign creation media contracts, sponsorship agreements, merchandising and social media development.
Hay & Kilner
Hay & Kilner has particular IP expertise in the fashion, automotive and food industries. The firm has experience in software development, use and protection issues, including complex arrangements relating to background and foreground IP. Martin Soloman specialises in claims relating to trade marks, copyright and designs. He leads the team with Lucy Gray, who focuses on IP licences, assignments and development agreements.
Martin Soloman; Lucy Gray
Indigo Software Limited
Hyperdrive Innovation Limited
- Advised a software developer throughout the development of a highly innovative new platform and prepared documents to exploit that platform once complete.
- Advice to a supplier of branded fashion accessories relating to an intimated claim for trade mark and copyright infringement.
- Advising the owners of a new restaurant whose launch was threatened by an intimated claim for infringement of copyright and trade marks.
- Represented the authors of a national publication in negotiations with publishers, regarding ownership and exploitation of copyright and trade marks.
- Advising client regarding intellectual property rights in a new and innovative medical implant.