Allen & Overy LLP is highly regarded for its broad restructuring expertise, which includes pre-pack arrangements, divestment and distressed loan portfolio sales. The Dutch team is able to draw on the strength of the firm's pan-European team as well as experts in the banking, corporate, tax and litigation practices. Key practitioner Sigrid Jansen counts companies, including private equity investors and financial institutions among her client base. Aroen Kuitenbrouwer focuses on restructuring and also handles asset finance, leveraged finance and general lending matters. Other names to note include Andrew Thomas, Brechje van der Velden, Charles Honée and Richard de Haan.
Restructuring and insolvency in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Sigrid Jansen; Aroen Kuitenbrouwer; Andrew Thomas; Brechje van der Velden; Charles Honée; Richard de Haan
‘In-depth banking and restructuring knowledge’.
‘They appreciate that there’s more to it than just legal knowledge and are keen in working together with other financial advisors’.
‘Very client focused but the A&O team can also explain clearly why certain client demands could not work or will not result in to the desired effect’.
‘Excellent quality, pleasant and likeable people to work with, and they keep up to their promises’.
‘High-level of professionalism, evidenced by on point advice and a solid understanding of the restructuring process and its key dynamics’.
‘Result-orientated and also willing to lead, for the benefit of challenging inter-lender dynamics’.
‘Well-balanced approach between being an advisor and efforts to come to a deal’.
‘Can connect easily with the different stakeholders involved, helping bringing to process forward, without losing duties towards their formal contract party’
AEB Holding N.V
Attestor Capital LLP
Blokker Holding B.V
BNP Paribas (Suisse S.A)
Citicorp Trustee Company Ltd
Cooperative Rabobank UA
De Poli Tanker
DSM Finance B.V
DTG Holding B.V
Dutch Ministry of Finance
Dutch Seafood Holding
IHC Merwede Holding B.V
KBC Bank N.V
- Advised Royal IHC in relation to the restructuring of its syndicated facilities agreement.
- Advised the RCF lender consortium on the negotiations with the company and several classes of creditors leading to a balance sheet restructuring of the Dutch retail group HEMA.
- Advised KLM on its negotiations with the Dutch state and a number of domestic and foreign banks to secure €3.4bn in financing.
Clifford Chance advises lenders, funds, alternative investors, sponsors and companies on complex domestic and international restructurings. Its multi-disciplinary and multi-jurisdictional team leverages the strength of the firm's banking, capital markets and corporate practices. Jelle Hofland is experienced in leveraged finance transactions, syndicated lending and complex restructurings. Ilse van Gasteren jointly heads the team with Hofland.
Ilse van Gasteren; Jelle Hofland
ING Bank N.V.
- Assisting a large shipbuilding company with its financial and operational restructuring.
- Represented the lenders in the restructuring and emergency financing of AEB, the Amsterdam Waste and Energy Company.
- Advised a syndicate of national and international banks led by ABN AMRO, Rabobank and ING on negotiations with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and the Dutch state in relation to the €3.4bn financial support package for KLM.
With several international offices De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek is well placed to handle international mandates. It handles high-end transactions, disputes and regulatory enforcement matters for large multinational clients, including corporates and private equity investors. The practice also provides recommendations for legislative proposals submitted by the Dutch government. Reinout Vriesendorp is a professor and influential figure in insolvency law and security rights. Ferdinand Hengst is a fellow of Insol International, an international federation of national associations of accountants and lawyers who specialise in turnaround and insolvency.
Reinout Vriesendorp; Ferdinand Hengst
‘Very thorough, knowledgeable, great experience and clarity of how to run the process and the way forward.‘
‘Ferdinand Hengst knows how to manage the various stakeholders and has brought the whole process to a great end.’
‘Excellent team, in particular impressed by Ferdinand Hengst’.
‘Unique, in that it combines insolvency advice with deep knowledge of specialised industry fields’.
‘Ferdinand Hengst is recommended for his responsiveness, intelligence and helicopter view’.
‘Reinout Vriesendorp is recommended for his academic insights and international knowledge’.
Central Bank of Curacao and St Maarten
Royal Ahold Delhaize
ABN AMRO Bank
Waterland Private Equity
Family office of Blokker
- Advised HEMA, a leading retailer in the Netherlands, as lead counsel in a large financial restructuring mandate.
- Advised Beter Bed Holding, a leading European retailer listed on the Stock Exchange in Amsterdam, on its financial restructuring, rescue financing, distressed M&A and sub-10 equity issuance in capital markets.
- Advised Central Bank of Curacao and St Maarten and ENNIA Caribe on a large cross-border restructuring.
Houthoff’s team has an ‘impressive track record’ and is led by Christiaan Zijderveld, who has considerable experience in the insolvency space. Key practitioner Frédéric Verhoeven focuses on cross-border insolvency and restructuring cases. Newly promoted partner David Heems is also noted for insolvency matters; he also serves as vice-chair of the International Bar Association. The group also handles distressed acquisitions, litigation and represents clients in court as bankruptcy trustees; team members have also appeared before the Dutch Supreme Court.
Other key lawyers:
Frédéric Verhoeven; Barbara van Gangelen; David Heems
‘Christiaan Zijderveld doesn’t need much information to analyse the situation and knows how to solve the issue’.
‘Great team, great people, high quality, very reliable and always good’.
‘David Heems is very good, solid and reliable’.
‘Christiaan Zijderveld and Frédéric Verhoeven are both very knowledgeable, creative and a pleasure to work with’.
‘The lawyers have experience from all angles of restructuring cases and are not afraid to give clear advice’.
‘Christiaan Zijderveld is a top class lawyer and very practical’.
‘Houthoff is a boutique style law firm with very competent lawyers and a great restructuring practice’.
‘David Heems has an eye for detail and is verbally very strong.’
Lehman Brothers Treasury
NPM Capital N.V.
GGN Mastering Credit
Vion food group
NPM Capital N.V.
Imtech N.V. supervisory board directors
Independent Derivatives Committee
- Advising the Independent Derivatives Committee on the framework for compensation by the Dutch banking sector of SME clients that bought interest rate derivatives from Dutch banks.
- Acted as Dutch counsel for Agrokor on a debt-for-equity restructuring.
- Acting as bankruptcy trustee of Sissy Boy, a well-known Dutch high street retailer with 49 shops in Belgium and the Netherlands, all situated at premium locations.
The restructuring and insolvency team at NautaDutilh handles national and international distressed M&A. It also handles matters concerning out-of-court restructurings, transactions and litigation before courts, including the Dutch Supreme Court and European Court of Justice. Its broad client base includes banks, debtors, directors, suppliers, insolvency trustees, sponsors and alternative debt providers. Robert Van Galen has considerable experience of Supreme Court litigation. Teun Struycken and Barbara Rumora-Scheltema are other key names.
Robert van Galen; Barbara Rumora-Scheltema; Teun Struycken
‘Excellent team, result-driven and pragmatic’.
‘They are extremely knowledgeable and definitely one of the market-leading practices’.
‘Robert van Galen – the figurehead of the practice for many years, is a very strong technical insolvency lawyer and litigator who is a clear market leader’.
‘Teun van Struycken is very likeable and knowledgeable’.
‘Distinguishes from others due to the high quality of its legal professionals’.
‘A common characteristic that they all share is keeping a cool-headed approach under great pressure whilst driving for creative solutions in complex situations’.
‘Most of the Nauta professionals that I worked with have substantial gravitas and excellent client management skills’.
‘Provided a very good impression and top quality work’.
Crestline Investors, Inc.
McDermott International Inc.
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
- Advised a syndicate of banks on the implementation of a highly complex restructuring and refinancing through enforcement of share security before the NCC.
- Advised the Dutch Forever 21 companies on their orderly wind down, following the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of the US parent company.
- Advised the Ad Hoc Committee of holders of bonds issued by Vieo B.V., which is the parent company of Lebara, a mobile phone services provider, on the enforcement of a share pledge by way of a court sanctioned private enforcement sale in the Netherlands.
The restructuring and insolvency team at AKD is experienced leading cross-border insolvencies, as evidenced by noted practitioner Paul Peter’s appointment as the trustee of Royal Imtech. Barend de Roy van Zuidewijn heads the team; he is regularly appointed as a trustee by the Dutch courts. The group acts for leading corporate entities in financial distress, with a focus on reorganisation and recapitalisation, and winding up.
Barend de Roy van Zuidewijn
Other key lawyers:
‘Paul Peters is a real expert in his field’.
‘Open for discussion and very available’.
‘In-depth technical know-how on specific loan portfolios’.
‘Able to explain complicated matters and make them simple to understand’.
‘Pragmatic and understand the specific needs of the client’.
Bankruptcy trustee of Royal Imtech N.V. and its group companies
Bankruptcy trustee of Atlantic Marine Services B.V.
Cerberus Capital Management LP
Bankruptcy trustee of E.P. Trade Support (affiliated with the Eneco group)
Svenska Handelsbanken AS
Bankruptcy trustee of Fortress group companies
Bankruptcy trustee of De Donge group companies
Centraal Beheer Achmea
Bankruptcy trustee of CEG Group
Bankruptcy of Veldhoven Group
Bankruptcy of Silver Lining
Ortolan Nederland Credit Oplossingen GmbH
- Serving as the trustee in the high-profile insolvency of Royal Imtech N.V. and several of its subsidiaries.
- Advising Braden Europe on insolvency matters.
- Advising Cerberus on its investment vehicle Promontoria Holding 107 in relation to the run-off of the loan portfolio it has acquired from Van Lanschot Bank
The ‘reputable’ and ‘very professional’ restructuring and insolvency team at CMS handles high-profile international insolvency procedures. Team members are often appointed by the Dutch courts as administrators and bankruptcy trustees in various industries. The corporate recovery team utilises restructuring specialists to advise banks, financial institutions and businesses on a range of restructuring matters. Jan Willem Bouman, Marcel Groenewegen and Marc van Zanten head the team. Groenewegen focuses on bankruptcy proceedings of real estate investment funds and financial investment entities. Bouman has acted as a court-appointed litigation for over 25 years.
Jan Willem Bouman; Marcel Groenewegen; Marc van Zanten
‘Outstanding knowledge of applicable law and very practical’.
‘Very professional team with a long track record of successful recoveries’.
‘Jan Willem Bouman has a deep understanding of the issues; in some cases pragmatic solutions; and is well known in the recovery business’.
‘The team brings a full range of capacities that are required for complex instructions’.
‘Jan Willem Bouman explains, interprets and supports the entrepreneur’.
‘They provide short and direct lines of communication and a no-nonsense and personal way of communicating’.
‘Pick a fight and they will put up a defence to be reckoned with’.
Slotervaartziekenhuis B.V. (trade name MC Slotervaart)
Swets & Zeitlinger Group
McGregor Fashion Group
Cool Cat Fashion Group
Portugal Telecom International Finance B.V.
- Acted as trustees in the bankruptcy of Slotervaartziekenhuis B.V., which successfully has been terminated by the end of May 2020.
- Acting as trustee in the bankruptcy of Swets & Zeitlinger Group B.V. and its 30 domestic and foreign subsidiaries.
- Acting as trustee in the bankruptcy of McGregor Fashion Group, dealing with many cross-border insolvency law issues and complex shareholders’ concerns.
Dentons has a strong track record advising multinational companies on international restructurings and financing arrangements. Team members are often called upon to act as court-appointed receivers in high-profile matters. Krijn Hoogenboezem is a member of the Insolad insolvency specialists association and focuses on restructuring and associated litigation; he jointly heads the team Wouter Jongepier, who acts for domestic and international clients on reorganisations and company restarts.
Krijn Hoogenboezem; Wouter Jongepier,
‘Very out-of-the-box, informal, approachable team that gets things done’.
‘The team are abreast of technical developments and do not shy away from providing access to their tech network’.
‘The team is very “flat”, meaning associates have a say in how things are done and can freely express their ideas and strategies’.
‘Krijn Hoogenboezem is probably the coolest lawyer you will find in Amsterdam; he is very composed and admired by his peers both nationally and internationally’.
‘Krijn Hoogenboezem is clever, always finds a way and yet he is very down to earth and also funny’.
Gibson Brands LLC
Digital Media Centre B.V.
Pluripharm Groep B.V.
Estro Kinderopvang B.V.
OSX Leasing Group B.V.
Herman Jansen Beverage Group
Colorado Bankers Life Insurance Company
Unseen Amsterdam B.V.
Prien Holding B.V.
- Handling the bankruptcy proceedings of Gibson Brands’ subsidiary Gibson Innovations Netherlands B.V. which produced consumer electronics products (headsets, blue tooth speakers, cables etc) under the Philips brand.
- Appointed as the bankruptcy trustee of Digital Media Centre.
- Acting as bankruptcy trustee for Estro Kinderopvang B.V.
Florent has a multi-disciplinary approach to restructuring and insolvency, leveraging the strength of the wider firm's M&A, litigation and banking and finance experts. It has a substantial asset recovery practice, which makes it well placed to handle bankruptcy proceedings, fraud litigation and financial fraud investigations. Team members often act as court-appointed trustees and administrators in bankruptcy and suspension of payment cases. Hanneke De Coninck heads the practice alongside Kees van de Meent. Pieter van Uchelen joined as partner from Simmons & Simmons.
Hanneke De Coninck; Kees van de Meent
Other key lawyers:
Pieter van Uchelen
‘Pragmatic, involved, constructive lawyers that have a good feel for business needs’.
‘Made a very well-constructed and written contribution in negotiating with our bank’.
‘Hanneke De Coninck provides personal and pragmatic expertise’.
‘Pieter van Uchelen is committed and thinks ahead and with the client’.
‘Florent distinguishes itself with its personal contact, fast feedback and human touch’.
‘Good mix of expertise, experience, customer focus and speed’.
Bankruptcy of V&D
Bankruptcy of La Place
Bankruptcy of Leapp
Bankruptcy of the Doniger group of companies
Boemer Beheer B.V.
Suspension of payment of the FNG group of companies
Bankruptcy of Thomas Cook Nederland B.V.
Insolvency of Level Europe GmbH
Liquidation of Van der Moolen group of companies
Bankruptcy of Polare group of companies
Bankruptcy of Hillen & Roosen group of companies
- Appointed in December 2015 by the Amsterdam District Court as trustees in the bankruptcy proceedings for V&D.
- Appointed in December 2015 by the Amsterdam District Court as trustees in the bankruptcy proceedings for La Place.
- Appointed as bankruptcy trustee for Thomas Cook Nederland B.V.
With its international focus and offices in the large financial centres of London, New York and Hong Kong, Loyens & Loeff is well placed to handle cross-border mandates. Key clients include banks, private equity funds and borrowers, and the group has a focus on the financial services, healthcare, energy and retail sectors. Practice head Vincent Vroom specialises in restructuring and insolvency matters. Counsel Loek Kerstens is an experienced litigator in the field of bankruptcy law and restructurings.
Other key lawyers:
‘Clear, practical commercial advice’.
‘Focused on delivering for the client and solving problems rather than wasting time on academic points’.
‘Vincent Vroom is highly knowledgeably, a trusted partner, who gets straight to the heart of an issue, always with options to solve’.
Toys R Us
Syncreon Group B.V.
Zurich Insurance Company
- Assisting the ad hoc group of certain holders of senior secured notes in continuous and intensive negotiations with inter HEMA, its shareholders and its other financiers with a view to agreeing upon a deleveraging plan that would result in a sustainable capital structure for HEMA.
- Assisted the ad hoc group of certain lenders in continuous and intensive negotiations with (the bankruptcy trustee of) Getronics, its shareholders and its other financiers with a view to agreeing upon a deleveraging plan that would result in a sustainable capital structure for Getronics.
- Advising Global Loan Agency Services on restructuring and refinancing matters.
Norton Rose Fulbright handles contentious and non-contentious restructuring and insolvency matters for financial institutions, distressed companies, secured creditors, and managing directors. The group acts on the restructuring of asset finance transactions in tandem with its international network of offices. Wouter Hertzberger is a banking practitioner, with a focus on restructuring matters and Yke Lennartz handles dispute resolution and litigation; the duo head the team. Anthony Pallett joined as partner from Hogan Lovells International LLP.
Wouter Hertzberger; Yke Lennartz
Other key lawyers:
‘Multi-jurisdictional experience, with a rich international network for the jurisdiction not covered first hand’.
‘Very seasoned partners with well-coached senior and junior counsel in the teams’.
‘Perfect multidisciplinary team players’.
‘Well-developed IT infrastructure, creative thinking and good business sense’.
‘Perfect project management in delicate and complicated situations’.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
AEB (Afval Energie Bedrijf Amsterdam)
Banco Santander S.A.
Bank of America, N.A.
Danish Ship Finance
DNB Bank ASA
DVB Group Merchant Bank (Asia) Ltd.
ING Bank N.V.
Intertrust Nederland B.V.
MS Mode Group B.V.
Nordic Trustee AS
Pareto Bank ASA
Trustee of Lehman Brothers Inc.
- Advised Nordic Trustee A/S, as bond trustee and security agent for several bondholders, on accelerating a €350m senior secured bond loan issued by VIEO B.V. and subsequently obtaining court approval for the private enforcement sale of the shares in VIEO in the context of the enforcement of the share pledge.
- Advising a coordinating committee of banks funding a Dutch shipping company on a complex restructuring of a large amount of bilateral loans provided to various group entities.
- Advising a syndicate of Dutch and international banks in relation to the restructuring of the biggest Atradius-backed shipping deal in the Netherlands in 2018 as a result of one of the guarantors entering into bankruptcy proceedings in the US.
Stibbe’s expertise spans restructuring, insolvency and litigation. The group handles national and international matters and is regularly appointed by the courts to act as bankruptcy trustee or administrator in suspension of payments proceedings. Practice co-head Toni van Hees focuses on property law and civil procedures, with notable experience of financing, liability and insolvency issues, and is an active member of Insolad, the Dutch Association of Insolvency Lawyers. Fellow co-head Job van Hooff is a key name for cross-border restructurings, distressed transactions and bankruptcy and insolvency litigation.
Toni van Hees; Job van Hooff
Other key lawyers:
Gertjan Boekraad; Rein van Helden
‘The team have shown to greatly understand that their clients typically will have limited experience in dealing with restructuring and insolvency’.
‘They are able to quickly determine their client’s level of knowledge and experience, and tailor their communication and advice accordingly’.
‘They understand what the client needs, as well as the internal information sharing and decision making dynamics an in-house counsel has to deal with’.
‘Always available, and high quality and provide realistic advice, reflecting sound business sense and experience’.
‘The team composition is quite diverse’.
‘The manner in which they present their advice is very practical, such as decision tables, heat-maps, graphs, and other practical visuals they know will be useful for the client’.
‘Job van Hooff plays a key role in the day-to-day handling of matters’.
‘Job van Hooff is very knowledgeable’.
DTEK (Ad Hoc group of Noteholders)
Dutch State (Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy)
Ernst & Young LLP (EY)
North Sea Ports (former Zeeland Seaports)
Unlimited Sports Group
- Advised the management board of HEMA B.V. on the high-profile debt restructuring of Netherlands-based retailer HEMA.
- Appointed as bankruptcy trustee of IIG TOF B.V., a finance vehicle of a US investment group headed by IIG, LLC based in New York.
- Appointed as silent administrator and subsequently as bankruptcy trustee of the holding company of the Getronics Group in the context of its worldwide circa €300m restructuring.
With the support of its global network, DLA Piper's team is well positioned to handle cross-border mandates. The group handles contentious and non-contentious matters, including financial restructurings and foreclosure sales. Practice head Marc Molhuysen has significant experience of acting for companies in distress, the purchasers of companies in distress and large banks on the restructuring of debtors' businesses.
Other key lawyers:
Lex Oosterling; Ewald Netten
ABN AMRO Bank
HEMA works council
- Advising the Hema works council on the proposed restructuring of its debt structure and an anticipated change in shareholding via a UK scheme of arrangement.
- Advising DEME on the restructuring of IHC.
- Advising Sykes Seafood on its distressed acquisition of Klaas Puul, involving complex and time-critical corporate and financial restructuring, distressed M&A and (re-)financing processes.
Jones Day’s team of ‘very talented lawyers’ is well established in the Dutch market and focuses on formal insolvencies, corporate restructurings and financial restructurings. It handles contentious and non-contentious matters, domestically and internationally and works closely with the firm's international offices, particularly those in the US. Practice head Jasper Berkenbosch acts for stakeholders in distressed situations.
Other key lawyers:
Gerjanne te Winkel; Anna Zwalve; Ben Fox
‘Strong team of insolvency professionals, especially in the field of complex financing structures’.
‘The team works easily together with specialised firms in the field of corporate finance to get a 360 degree view on the situation’.
‘Jasper Berkenbosch has an excellent overview of the case and controls all aspects very adequately’.
‘Very smart guys, accessible and fun to work with’.
‘They work together with top-notch local financial investigation firms in Amsterdam’.
‘Jasper Berkenbosch is extremely talented, very driven and client-friendly’.
‘They are always updated and well trained about the new trends of the law’.
‘Despite their level of excellence they are not complacent and are very nice to work with’.
- Appointed as administrator over Oi Brasil Holdings Coöperatief U.A.
- Representing an ad hoc group of term loan and revolver lenders under Syncreon Group B.V.’s primary secured credit facility, involving a potential restructuring of approximately $1bn in funded debt.
- Appointed as trustee over Intertoys.
Van Doorne’s restructuring and insolvency team is made up of debt restructuring specialists, litigation specialists and tax lawyers. It handles high-profile transactions, litigation, debt restructurings and cross-border insolvencies. Stefan van Rossum heads the practice and focuses on financial restructuring on the lender side, as well as leveraged financing and property financing.
Stefan van Rossum
Other key lawyers:
‘Flexible, creative and able to think in the interests of all involved stakeholders’.
‘Always looking for an innovative solution based on the last legal insights’.
‘They are positively surprising us with legal constructions and suggestions that improve our position’.
‘Stefan van Rossum is smart and very pragmatic, and is able to think in solutions instead of only mentioning what kind of risks are involved’.
Aluminium Delfzijl (Aldel)
Argentem Creek Partners
Innsworth Advisors Limited
Waarborgfonds Sociale Woningbouw
- Advised Green Swan and Intertoys on the restructuring of Intertoys following its relaunch out of bankruptcy and the subsequent sale of Intertoys to Mirage Holding (Blokker).
- Advised Innsworth Advisors Limited (the litigation funding arm of Elliott) on legal proceedings against Steinhoff Holdings N.V.
- Advised York Capital and Aluminium Delfzijl (Aldel) on the financial restructuring of Aldel.
Wijn & Stael Advocaten N.V. handles national and international restructuring and insolvency matters. Its practitioners often act as court-appointed trustees in bankruptcy cases. Noor Zetteler focuses on finance, security and insolvency law; Willem Jan van Andel acts for companies in distressed situations; and Remco Vermaire specialises in pre-bankruptcy and bankruptcy matters, and restructuring.
Noor Zetteler; Willem Jan van Andel; Remco Vermaire
‘A wide range of skills are incorporated in the team.’
‘Noor Zetteler is quick, accurate and great in communication.’
‘Excellent and in-depth knowledge of bankruptcy law and its application in practice.’
‘Very extensive practical experience with bankruptcy and insolvency, especially in the retail sector.’
‘Niche firm, known for its top level bankruptcy practice.’
‘Remco Vermaire and Willem Jan Van Andel and Noor Zettler are top lawyers in their field.’
‘The firm has a strong restructuring and insolvency practice.’
‘Noor Zetteler is highly regarded as an insolvency practitioner and managed to keep control and oversight over the situation.’
De Lage Landen (DLL)
Trustee of Boer & Croon Holding B.V. and its subsidiaries
The Phone House
Bankruptcy trustees Ruwaard van Puttenziekenhuis
Directors of Coolcat
- Appointed as trustee in the bankruptcy of The Phone House Netherlands B.V.
- Appointed as trustee in the bankruptcy of Psytrec.
- Appointed as trustee of Montagny B.V. and three of its subsidiaries (‘Sissy-Boy’).
Baker McKenzie specialises in distressed real estate assets, where it acts for banks and other financial institutions on refinancing, winding down and liquidation. It also handles corporate recovery and restructuring matters, international arbitration and crisis management. Robert van Agteren heads the team and has a focus on contentious restructurings and litigation.
Robert van Agteren
Other key lawyers:
Fedor Tanke; Valérie van den Berg
VolkerWessels (KWS Infra division)
Piraeus Bank SA
Colony Capital LLC
Deutsche Pfandbriefbank AG
APM Holding GmbH and IES Immobilien-Projektentwicklung GmbH
- Representing Warner Bros. with respect to the (in)solvency of one of its productions in the Netherlands.
- Representing the India-based company Jain (debtor representation) in its global restructuring.
- Representing Marriott with respect to the (in)solvency of the Luxury Amsterdam W Hotel operated by Marriott for and on behalf of the owner.
Boels Zanders Advocaten acts for clients active in sectors such as industrials and construction. The team is experienced in administration and trustee work and is frequently appointed by the Dutch courts as trustee in insolvency procedures. Peter Brouns and Jeroen Bakkers head the practice.
Jeroen Bakkers; Peter Brouns
Other key lawyers:
Flip Schreurs; Remco Rosbeek
‘Thorough expertise and the ability to understand our business, an excellent service’.
‘Quarterly meetings with key stakeholders, easy accessible, and transparent in rates and billing’.
‘Willingness to deliver the perfect service with a helicopter view’.
‘Very nice to work with, very professional’.
‘Peter Brouns has broad experience’.
‘They have a good understanding how proceedings will go and what a bankruptcy judge will decide in a matter’.
‘When you talk with Peter Brouns you realise that he has deep experience in the field of insolvency law’.
‘Business-minded and flexible approach’.
Componenta BV (bankruptcy case)
Brabant Alucast The Netherlands site Heijen BV (bankruptcy case)
D-Group (bankruptcy case)
- Appointed as insolvency trustee of this Componenta BV.
- Appointed as one of the insolvency trustees of the Lips Real Estate Group.
- Appointed by the district court as a court appointed administrator of Brabant Alucast Site Heijen BV.
Martijn Vermeeren; Pieter van den Berg
‘Buren has provided an outstanding service by suggesting the best course of action in light of the situation we were facing’.
‘They have the flexibility and proactive approach that normally you don’t see in other firms’.
‘They often go beyond their scope of work’.
‘The team has good insolvency expertise’.
‘Martijn Vermeeren is hands-on, easy to reach and gets things done’.
‘The insolvency team of Buren has specific knowledge regarding pre-pack of hospitals’.
‘They are experienced, very pleasant to work with and meet a high standard of quality’.
‘Martijn Vermeeren is a very knowledgeable insolvency lawyer’.
Greenco Holding B.V.
Healthcare institution Pluryn
Mooy Beheer B.V.
De Roo Taxi B.V.
Ruwaard van Puttenziekenhuis
- Advised Greenco on two separate important divestment transactions.
- Advised Vacansoleil on the sale of certain European campsites.
- Advised Milos on the acquisition through an asset deal of the assets and business of Prolyte.
HVG Law LLP’s broad expertise includes corporate restructurings and insolvency administrations, where team members are often appointed as trustees. Its client base includes shareholders, banks, investors and creditors, and the practice is active in the retail, healthcare, energy and real estate sectors. Robin de Wit, Jan Padberg and Johan Westerhof head the team.
Robin de Wit; Jan Padberg; Johan Westerhof
‘Both employees and partners are accessible.’
‘Because their experience in bankruptcies as trustees, they act in a practical way, without losing the sharp legal knowledge.’
‘The team has experience both as acting as a liquidator and as advisor for companies in financial distress.’
‘Both Jan Padberg and Robin de Wit are very pleasant to work with.’
‘Robin de Wit is a strong and pragmatic insolvency advisor who wants to come to the best deal possible for all stakeholders involved.’
‘Jan Padberg is persuasive, knowledgeable, responsive and pragmatic in his approach.’
‘Johan Westerhof is very experienced and practical in his approach.’
Johan Westerhof is very capable of leading a team and is fun to work with.’
Joost Zorgt (administration)
Legal advisor to the administrators of Nortel Networks
TCN UROP SE (administration)
M.J. Weerman Bloemengroothandel (administration)
Daan Auctions (administration)
Court appointed liquidation of GFH Paraplufonds / Dutch Authority of Financial Markets
Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance
NV Rendo Holding
JenS Beenhakker / Hulpmiddelencentrum
ArcelorMittal Projects Europe B.V.
Charles Vögele (administration)
Show Theatre Equipment (administration)
Stichting Victas (administration)
- Acted as bankruptcy trustee of the Travelbird.
- Assisted JenS Beenhakker / Hulpmiddelencentrum with a possible turnaround scenario, and advised on refinancing and securities.
- Assisting the UK administrators of Nortel Networks B.V with the winding up of the Dutch activities and assets.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons team is now headed by Robert Verburg and Marieke Driessen. The group handles high-profile global mandates as well as domestic insolvencies, restructurings and distressed debt deals. It is also active in liquidations, and works closely with the firm's M&A and finance departments.
Robert Verburg; Marieke Driessen
NN Investment partners
Windt Le Grand Leeuwenburgh is active in general restructuring matters and its practitioners are often appointed as administrators. The group handles major restructuring cases for creditors and debtors, and is active in the areas of energy, retail, healthcare, transport, shipping and education. Marcel Windt, Ruben Leeuwenburgh and Richard le Grand are the practice heads.
Marcel Windt; Ruben Leeuwenburgh; Richard Le Grand
‘As a restructuring/corporate finance consultancy firm we like to work with them because of their client and solution-oriented attitude’.
‘They have a good relation with a lot of business and juridical people’.
‘They’re pro-active with new developments’.
‘Marcel Windt and Ruben Leeuwenburgh are outstanding in insolvency and restructuring, they are always thinking about the next steps, very capable, flexible and easy to contact’.
‘Highly professional, in-depth knowledge, excellent communication and swift responses’.
‘Strong partnership attitude in any challenge’.
‘They walk the path along with you and hold your hand professionally’.
‘They really try with great effort to understand you and to stand by you’.
Lenders of Hemisphere International
Varova Fashion Group B.V.
Municipality of Enschede
De Hoop Terneuzen
Court of Haarlem – KPNQwest N.V.
District Court of Rotterdam – Enron Power B.V.
District Court of Rotterdam: VLM Airlines
Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam High Court – Leaderland TTM entities
- Acting for a group of lenders on a large ongoing restructuring.
- Acting as administrator for KPNQwest N.V in a large insolvency matter.
- Acting as liquidator for the Dutch part of Enron Power B.V.