International firm De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek acts as lead counsel in high-end transactions, disputes and regulatory enforcement matters, and is well placed to handle cross-border mandates. It often acts alongside other independent firms internationally, as demonstrated through its membership of the Best Friends network in Europe. Its multi-disciplinary team has expertise in M&A, fraud and white-collar criminal law, dispute resolution, and restructuring and insolvency. Practice head Dennis Horeman is well regarded for litigation and arbitration, with a focus on the financial sector. Eelco Meerdink advises clients in the insurance, technology, energy, construction, pharmaceutical and manufacturing industries. Mariken van Loopik is also noted.
Insurance in Netherlands
Other key lawyers:
Mariken van Loopik; Eelco Meerdink; Eva Schram
‘International team with resources and knowledge regarding every aspect in high-value litigation’
‘The practice is unique given its ability to solve complex and complicated matters, notably class actions regarding alleged misselling’.
‘Having excellent Supreme Court barristers available in all stages of proceedings gives a great advantage’.
‘Their D&O policies practice is excellent. ’
Onderlinge Waarborgmaatschappij Centrale
Zorgverzekeraars groep, Zorgverzekeraar U.A. (CZ)
Koninklijke BAM Groep N.V.
- Represented Ageas in insurance coverage management for events that occurred at Fortis in 2007-2008.
- Representing Achmea, a large Dutch insurance group, and Union, its Slovak subsidiary, in proceedings before the EU Court of Justice in relation to a state aid case regarding measures by the Slovak Republic in favour of the state-owned health insurers and to the detriment of privately owned health insurers in the Slovak market.
- Representing CZ in litigation against an intermediary that is claiming tens of millions of euros for alleged breach of contract.
The insurance practice at Houthoff focuses on large and high-end insurance claims and transactions. It has further expanded its expertise in financial regulatory work, with a focus on insurance prudential and conduct of business advice. On the contentious side, the firm handles international multiparty disputes, professional indemnity and directors and officers (D&O) liability matters, among others. Hans Londonck Sluijk has considerable experience and sits on the board of the Dutch association for insurance law. Berry van Wijk focuses on corporate and regulatory issues. Counsel Roel Theissen is a key name for prudential supervision matters.
Berry van Wijk; Hans Londonck Sluijk
Other key lawyers:
Huib Lebbing; Roel Theissen
Atradius Credit Insurance
NN Group (Nationale Nederlanden)
- Representing Nationale Nederlanden, a major international insurance company, in the ongoing Dutch class actions with respect to the unit-linked insurances it sold in the Netherlands in which the insureds seek compensation for alleged mis-selling.
- Representing Mourik Construction Company, Mourik Groot-Ammers and its insurers Allianz and AXA XL after two cranes and their bridge load fell off their pontoons destroying many houses and businesses in Alphen aan den Rijn.
- Acting as offence counsel for the companies represented by OnderhoudNL to recover tens of millions in damages in a collective claims settlement and potential class action for damages caused by the supply of asbestos contaminated blasting grit by Eurogrit BV, part of the Sibelco group, globally active with 10,000+ employees in the mining industry.
NautaDutilh’s practice covers a broad range of insurance law issues and related commercial litigation. Multi-party litigation, including consumer-led claims, is a core pillar of the practice; and it also handles large commercial risks, such as D&O liability, professional liability and product liability. A further area of focus is transactional insurance and corporate transactions. Stijn Franken focuses on insurance and reinsurance matters, and regulatory law. Sjoerd Meijer specialises in insurance and liability law.
Stijn Franken; Sjoerd Meijer
Other key lawyers:
Bianca van der Goes
‘Excellent knowledge of Insurance- and product liability law’.
‘High level of expertise by Stijn Franken’.
‘Sjoerd Meijer is knowledgeable, has strong communication skills and has in-depth knowledge of the market ’.
Dutch Association of Insurers
UK P&I Club
VvAA (Dutch Association of Doctors Motorists)
- Acting for insurers (both major and smaller) of unit-linked life insurance products in mass claim proceedings pertaining to these products.
- Assisting Rheinland Versicherung with the implementation of GDPR and the Insurance Distribution Directive in company policies and collaboration agreements with intermediaries and underwriting agents.
- Defending GSK, a global pharmaceutical company, in appeal proceedings regarding a product liability claim.
The insurance team at Norton Rose Fulbright acts for domestic and international insurers on contentious, corporate, regulatory and transactional matters. On the non-contentious side, it handles cross-border M&A, joint ventures, warranty and indemnity (W&I) underwriting and compliance matters. Its contentious work includes cross-border litigation for brokers and corporates, as well as insurers. The team is headed by Jan Duyvensz, who advises on matters involving financial risks, such as D&O liability, professional liability, technical damage and product liability.
Allied World Assurance Company
Tokio Marine Kiln
Dutch Aviation Pool
- Acting as defence counsel on behalf of a liability insurer and a well-known lawyer in relation to complex court proceedings regarding a professional liability dispute.
- Regularly advising insurance companies such as AmTrust, Domestic & General in relation to the offerings of their products and services in the Netherlands.
Van Doorne’s integrated insurance group sits within its dispute resolution practice. It is well regarded for its expertise in financial insurance products, including professional indemnity, D&O, W&I, and for its strength in cyber insurance. In the professional negligence space, it acts for civil law notaries, attorneys at law and tax lawyers in malpractice claims on behalf of insurers. Annemieke Hendrikse handles national and international disputes, acting for insurers, and directors of companies and non-profits, including housing corporations and healthcare institutions. Walter Hendriksen is another key name.
Annemieke Hendrikse; Walter Hendriksen
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the top firms for D&O insurance claims with strong capabilities for both insurance coverage work and defence of directors and officers. ’
‘Annemieke Hendrikse has excellent negotiation skills and is a good strategist.’
‘Annemieke Hendrikse has gained deep knowledge of D&O insurance claims.’
Dirkzwager legal & tax is able to handle international mandates through its international desk and its affiliation with the Trans European Law Firm Alliance and its US counterpart USLAW. The practice covers a broad range of insurance and liability matters, including corporate and professional liability, government liability, product liability, and construction industry liability. Harry Kruitwagen is adept at handling insurance policy disputes and insurance terms and conditions. Daan Baas, René Wildenburg and Joost Bindels are the other names to note.
Harry Kruitwagen; Daan Baas; Joost Bindels; René Wildenburg
‘They provide specific knowledge of technical and construction issues and they have a German desk’.
‘Multi-disciplinary team, with in-house knowledge in multiple areas, both in regard to liability and insurance law’.
‘Daan Baas is really pragmatic, pro-active and knowledgeable. Tries to reach the best possible solution in the most cost-effective way’.
‘Practical but without losing sight of important details, and they know the market’.
‘Daan Baas is very hands on with great in-depth knowledge about insurance and liability’.
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty SE
Amlin Insurance SE (MS Amlin)
Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe SE
Allianz Benelux N.V.
Royal Sun Alliance
AIG Europe SA
Achmea Schadeverzekeringen (Avéro)
Zurich Insurance plc
QBE Insurance (Europe) ltd
The corporate insurance and reinsurance (transactional and derivatives) team at Hogan Lovells International LLP is headed up by Victor de Vlaam, who is well regarded for advising large international blue-chip clients on high-end transactions. With a focus on corporate work, the firm handles multi-jurisdictional insurance M&A, restructurings and related insurance regulatory advice, and collateral arrangements. It also advises on portfolio transfers, capital raisings, and financial regulatory and tax matters. As part of a global network, the team is well placed to handle international mandates and works closely with the firm's London practice on reinsurance matters.
Victor de Vlaam
Other key lawyers:
Aafke Pronk; Janelle de Ruiter
‘They clearly have a lot experience in longevity risk transfer transactions throughout Europe’.
‘Hogan Lovells has an integrated team of insurance, pensions and collateral specialists and have a strong market position in the development of longevity transfer structures’.
‘They offer sound legal knowledge, deliver on promises and manage expectations’.
Leidsche Verzekering Maatschappij
Reinsurance Group of America (RGA)
- Advising NN Group and NN Life on three transactions to transfer the full longevity risk associated with in total approximately €13.5bn of pension liabilities in the Netherlands.
- Advised NN Group on a scheme secured €820m insurance deal with a chemical company.
- Providing Dutch legal expert advice to the Swiss Re Group in relation to various reinsurance treaties entered into between Swiss Re as the reinsurer, and a Dutch cedant.
Kennedy Van der Laan
Kennedy Van der Laan provides comprehensive advice around insurance regulatory issues, drawing on expertise from its IT, IP, employment and corporate experts. It is experienced in Dutch and European financial services regulation, as well as claims relating to casualty, personal injury, D&O, property and engineering. The team is headed by Erik van Orsouw, Chris van Dijk, Frits van der Woude, Peter van den Broek, Jan Broekhuizen and Petra Oskam. Van den Broek handles insurance and liability law, and policy drafting and coverage disputes.
Erik van Orsouw; Chris van Dijk; Frits van der Woude; Peter van den Broek; Jan Broekhuizen; Petra Oskam
‘Easy accessible and they have a specialised team for bodily Injury claims’
The team at Loyens & Loeff has expertise in various facets of insurance law, including regulatory advice, litigation and arbitration. It is a popular choice for corporate insureds, intermediaries and leading insurance companies. The team focuses on insurance litigation and civil liability litigation, and often litigates internationally regarding policy disputes and duty of care of insurers and insurance intermediaries. Practice head Kitty Lieverse focuses on financial services regulation and is a member of the Dutch Bar Advisory Committee on insurance law. Senior associate Merel van Asch focuses on liability and insurance law.
Kitty Lieverse; Merel van Asch
‘Loyens Loeff has a growing insurance practice’.
‘Merel van Asch is intelligent, hard working and does a very good job’.
‘Mainly acts against insurers/brokers (on behalf of corporates) as opposed to most of the other firms which only act on behalf of insurers/brokers’.
BNP Paribas Cardif
NN Group N.V.
- Successfully represented Aon in several legal proceedings concerning mostly the duty of care in relation to a large variety of insurance policies.
- Representing Zilveren Kruis and all other healthcare insurance companies in the Netherlands in relation to the bankruptcy of two Dutch hospitals.
- Advised Bilfinger Industrial Services in relation to blasting grit that the company purchased that was contaminated with asbestos.
The insurance and liability team at Van Traa Advocaten acts for insurers and brokers in insurance, liability and personal injury cases. It is particularly experienced in high-profile accidents that have occurred in the Netherlands in recent years. It has also recently handled claims relating to natural disasters, personal and corporate fault, professional indemnity, and other contractual and tort law issues. The team is headed by Robert Pessers, who is an appointed mediator at the British Centre for Dispute Resolution (CEDR).
Other key lawyers:
Robert de Haan; Peter Drion; Derk-Jan van der Kolk
‘Thanks to their excellent analyses and procedural documents, we are able to set the right course’.
‘Their long-term vision gives us more control over our business’.
‘Derk-Jan van der Kolk has excellent legal expertise and is convincing when acting in court.
‘A special quality of Derk-Jan is his strategic and tactical thinking’.
‘Ambitious team with a leading position in the insurance business’
‘Open-minded on matters and easily accessible for advice’
‘They make a balance between the case and the political environment’.
‘They are able to give brief and concise advice without superfluous general considerations’.
Football Club Ajax Amsterdam
Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment
Charterers and underwriters of the inland barge “Fox”
Malaysia Airlines and their insurers
- Advised the charterers and their underwriters of the inland barge “Fox” in relation to an incorrectly gassed barge.
- Advising several insurance companies in relation to a flood at the VU Medical Centre (VUmc) in Amsterdam in 2015.
- Advised an insurance company in relation to policy coverage and liability around the delivery of jet grit that was contaminated asbestos.
Evelyn Tjon-En-Fa leads the liability and insurance group at Bird & Bird, which acts for underwriters and insured on liability and insurance law matters. Areas of focus include mass claims, private enforcement and policy coverage disputes. On the non-contentious side, the firm handles the drafting of insurance policies and conducts localisation exercises.
Bazan Oil Group
Shiloh Industries, Inc.
Koninklijke VolkerWessels Group
Royal BAM Group
Visser & Smit Hanab
Torghatten ASA (Norway)
- Dealing with major coverage disputes in the Netherlands and London insurance market for errors in construction, energy and infrastructure projects.
- Advising one of the former advisory supervisory board members of a Transport/Shipping company in a corporate fraud and liability case.
- Representing Ducor – a major player in the oil and polypropylene industry – and its machinery breakdown insurer in proceedings against Nalco, a water treatment company.
CMS is well known in the market for its experience in professional negligence, construction, reinsurance and other complex coverage disputes. It acts for brokers, insurers and reinsurers, and also insured clients in the real estate, construction, financial lines, retail and life sciences area. Leonard Böhmer and Bas Baks head the practice.
Leonard Böhmer; Bas Baks
‘With CMS we only need one point of contact for all jurisdictions’.
‘They have a permanent team and an extensive network’.
‘They are very aware of the different interests of the insurer and the insured’.
‘They are very focussed on pragmatic solutions’.
‘They have a good international network what really works. ’
‘Bas Baks is pragmatic, has an eye for commercial issues and can bring the right people for a team together‘.
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
Chubb European Group Limited
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance
- Advised Unicorn InsurTech Lemonade on its successful launch in The Netherlands.
- Advised the liquidators of the Slotervaart hospital on all insurance-related items, among which strategical issues such as the negotiations with the health insurer and the Ministry of Health on the professional indemnity cover.
Cox Ten Bruggencate Advocaten
Cox Ten Bruggencate Advocaten handles high-value disputes both domestically and globally. It has considerable experienced of court proceedings, arbitration, mediation and other forms of ADR. Policy disputes are a key area of focus, where the firm handles claims relating to D&O, professional indemnity, property, goods-in-transit, heavy machinery and fine arts insurance contracts. Jacco van de Meent is a board member of the Dutch Association for Insurance Science; he jointly heads the team with Carlijn ten Bruggencate and Joeri Cox.
Jacco van de Meent; Joeri Cox; Carlijn ten Bruggencate
Other key lawyers:
Jan ter Meer
- Acting for insurers regarding the insurance and liability aspects of two cranes collapsing.
- Assisting liability underwriters of a company organising a large dance event where an accident occurred.
- Assisting the manufacturer of a tower crane that collapsed on buildings of the University of Utrecht, in product liability litigation pursuant to a multimillion-euro claim of allegedly jeopardised parties.
Ekelmans & Meijer Advocaten has a key focus on the healthcare sector and is highly regarded for insurance and general liability matters. The group has expertise in professional liability, D&O, fraud, personal injury and privacy matters. It has recently been advising on a number of Covid-19-related matters and counts the Dutch Association of Insurers among its clients. Hanco Arnold heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Jan Ekelmans; Astrid van Noort
‘Their approach is thorough, with a good sense of humour. ’
‘Jan Ekelmans is very convincing in court – a very tough opponent to litigate against.’.
‘Highly professional and knowledgeable in all aspects of the industry’.
‘Hanco Arnold is a specialist in insurance fraud’.
‘Hanco Arnold is very professional and knows a lot of the business of insurance law and fraud investigation in particular.’.
‘This is the firm for health insurance legal expertise’.
‘Jan Ekelmans is a quick strategic thinker’.
‘Astrid Van Noort is very precise and an excellent lawyer, especially in legal cases with privacy and healthcare aspects.’
Zorg & Zekerheid
Verbond van Verzekeraars
- Defended a large Dutch law firm against a professional malpractice claim before the court of first instance, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and ethics board.
- Advising three large Dutch healthcare insurers in relation to a €22m fraud claim.
- Advised Nationale-Nederlanden, a carrier with a large market share, on contingency policies on coverage and liability issues.
Ploum acts for insured companies and insurers and has particular expertise in health and safety matters, and matters involving hazardous or toxic substances. Its multi-disciplinary team draws on strength from its regulatory, environmental, corporate and criminal law practices. Other areas of focus include professional indemnity and construction-related insurance matters. Natalie Vloemans and Vincent Terlouw head the team.
Natalie Vloemans; Vincent Terlouw
Koole Terminals Botlek / Odfjell Terminals
HDI Global Specialty
NPO (Nederlandse Publieke Omroep)
Klap No Risk B.V.
- Acting for Koole (formerly Odfjell) in an insurance claim against several co-insurers following the shutdown of the Odfjell terminal in 2012.
- Represented SAAone in litigation regarding an insurance claim under PI insurance.
- At the request of PI insurer Markel, assisting an insurance broker who faces multiple claims in relation to the corona pandemic.
Boutique VanNiekerkCieremans B.V. focuses on civil liability and insurance. It has strong experience of insurance litigation and often handles multi-party disputes. The practice stands out for its recourse expertise, where it advises on fire and machinery breakdown, regulatory issues, disaster planning and litigation risk management. Eric van Niekerk, Tjitske Cieremans and Patrick van der Vorst are the practice heads.
Eric van Niekerk; Tjitske Cieremans; Patrick van der Vorst
‘High-level service, outstanding insurance practice, very pragmatic with a market-leading reputation for liability cases and insurance coverage cases.’
‘Firm performed perfectly and is one of the most respected firms in the Netherlands’
‘Eric van Niekerk is well respected, service-oriented and has a pragmatic approach’.
‘Tjitske Cieremans provides excellent technical and industry knowledge, and handles complex liability cases’.
‘Patrick van de Vorst has good analytical skills and a capacity to go rapidly to the heart of the issues, providing excellent legal advice.’
‘Stable, reliable, with profound knowledge and experience.’
- Representing BubbleDeck in the highly publicised collapse of the parking garage at Eindhoven Airport in May 2017 in proceedings against construction company BAM.
- Representing Chubb with respect to its recourse claim pertaining to damage sustained by C&A as a result of the highly publicised occurrence of a sinkhole in a parking garage in Heerlen, which caused the forced demolition of part of a shopping mall.
- Advised various insurers regarding the scope of policy wording to be used to regulate potential coverage for Covid-19 related claims.