Environment and planning in Netherlands
AKD has a sizeable environment and planning practice and regularly represents municipalities, water boards and corporate clients including KFC and Aldi. The team is 'very experienced and has a very good in-depth knowledge of the laws and regulations of the practice area'. Practice head Jos Van Der Velden is lead counsel to Uniper and is advising on the transition from coal to biomass. Gerrit van der Veen is advising alongside. Henk Breeman and Hugo Doornhoff are also recommended.
‘The team is very experienced and has a very good in-depth knowledge of the laws and regulations of the practice area.‘
‘Erik Dans is very hands-on, is clever, quick and knows exactly the challenges firms like ours are facing.‘
Brabantse Delta waterboard
De Dommel waterboard
Uniper Benelux N.V.
Urenco Netherlands B.V.
Wacker Chemie AG
WDP – Warehouses De Pauw
Hunter Douglas Europe
- Represented the Municipality of Oosterhout in several appeal cases against zoning plans regarding large urban developments.
- Advised Boskalis Nederland on compliance and permitting in several infrastructure projects.
- Advising Aldi on obtaining planning permission from various municipalities to establish new branches.
'The best environmental and planning team out there' - De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek is hailed for its mastery of all aspects of this practice area, including climate change and energy issues and for always providing an element of added value. It provides a multidisciplinary approach to complex cases which cuts across administrative law and litigation. Nicolien van den Biggelaar and Arjan Kleinhout are highly rated for their 'leading edge competence in administrative and environmental/spatial planning (court) law' and senior associate Claire van der Hoeven is also a key team member.
‘De Brauw is an excellent law firm that has been highly regarded in the market for decades. The lawyers of the Planning and Environment practice area combine high legal quality with a practical approach.’
‘They are very approachable and very pleasant to work with.’
‘I have very good experiences with Nicolien van den Biggelaar. She always knows how to outline the legal framework in a modest way. She is always solution oriented. There is no lawyer with such in-depth and broad knowledge in this area of law. It seems almost be scientific.’
‘Nicolien is creative, has humour, is easily accessible and is always on time. Her documents are accessible and good to understand. Working with her on a project is a real pleasure.‘
‘Nicolien van den Biggelaar is pragmatic, fast, to the point. High quality at high speed.’
‘Arjan Kleinhout is quick to understand underlying interests and knows where he can add value.’
‘De Brauw’s environmental law team actively participates in creating added value for its clients’ projects. The team has leading edge competence in this area and communicates proactively with it’s customers in a very effective way.’
‘In my view this is the best environmental and planning team out there. We worked with the team on various different matters and their expertise and ability to translate complex and not very accessible legal issues into very practical advice is to us very important.’
‘Arjan Kleinhout is also a valued resource. He knows a lot about economic regulation and is also broadening his expertise more towards the environmental and planning side.’
‘For both Nicolien and Arjan I have to say that they also very much invest in really understanding our business Oversight, good technical knowledge and ability to structure and solve complex matters.’
Port of Rotterdam
AkzoNobel / Nouryon
Royal Dutch Shell (RDS)
Voorbereiding PALLAS/Foundation Preparation PALLAS
- Represented TenneT in many of its national and international projects related to the energy transition. Handled public law, planning and environmental and financing issues, and extensive litigation relating to multi-billion renewable energy and other projects.
- Acts as lead counsel to the Port of Rotterdam in relation to various planning and environment matters, most of which relate to energy transition, including the development of an onshore wind farm located on Maasvlakte 2.
- Acting for Royal Dutch Shell in a large climate change litigation claim.
Houthoff is valued by clients for being able to mobilise a well-coordinated team that can bring the required specialism to a case and for its fees being 'money well spent'. Practice head Jan Frans de Groot's extensive experience includes handling Supreme Court cases and Marloes Brans is also well rated for permitting and enforcement matters. Its clients are made up of long-standing industrial and corporate clients, project developers and governmental bodies in a broad range of sectors including energy, real estate and healthcare.
Other key lawyers:
‘There is one central contact person who coordinates quotations, order confirmation, billing, etc. The team who advises on different aspects of our projects make sure that other colleagues within the firm (including the ones in other locations.) are well aware of the total scope and recent activities.’
‘In particular Marloes Brans and Jan Frans de Groot are very nice to work with. They understand the business we are working in, are easy to contact and quick to reply. They have a firm hourly rate, but it’s money well spent. They deliver clear advice that can be applied instantly.’
Alco Energy Rotterdam
Snippe Project B.V.
Ministry of Environment & Infrastructure
Municipality of Amersfoort Municipality of Utrecht
Municipality of Den Helder
Royal Flora Holland
Sonate (cooperation between Delta Projectontwikkeling and
Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
World Food Center Development
- Advised GEM Spiegelhout in the Windpark Zeewolde case in which the State Councillor Advocate General rendered advice to the highest Dutch administrative Court on the new and essential issue of the formal distribution of scarce (environmental law) rights.
- Advising Gemeente Bergen on a number of long-running zoning issues concerning the decision of the zoning plan with regard to the development of the town centre.
- Lead counsel to the private owner of the vast Duchess Hedwige polder – advising the owner and litigating against the Dutch government regarding the planned project of the Dutch government to submerge the polder (more than 300 hectares of cultivated land) and turn it into estuarine nature.
At Norton Rose Fulbright, Daphne Broerse specialises in infrastructure and real estate, combined with administrative, environmental and public procurement law. The team, which includes senior associate Bart Vis, has deep experience of spatial planning law and environmental regulations. It has a particular focus on the renewable energy sectors where it advises on complex permitting/planning issues, environmental impact reports and health and safety.
Other key lawyers:
Ostara Nutrient Recovery Technologies
Municipality of Hilversum
DNV GL Business Assurance
- Continues to advise RWE Eemshaven Holding II B.V. on all permits and licences required for the installation of a 1600 MW coal fired power plant in the Eemshaven, Groningen.
- Advising Total Solar regarding the development of a large solar project in the port of Vlissingen. The advice covers all permits and licences, the implications of the renewable subsidy scheme, and the conclusion of all related project agreements.
- Continuing to advise Emerald Kalama Chemical on the operation of its chemical production site in the Port of Rotterdam. the advice includes public law matters and the implications of complex environmental regulations.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV has an experienced environment and planning practice with strong expertise in public law. The firm regularly represents the Dutch state, municipalities, and provincial authorities. Key clients include the Municipality of Maastricht and The Hague, and the Minister of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy. Liesbeth Schippers heads the practice and Daniëlle Roelands-Fransen is also noted. A firm highlight includes advising the Municipality of The Hague on a development of Binckhorst.
‘Pelsrijcken has a unique position in advising government on public law. As the fixed law firm for the national government they acquire a broad experience in assisting government in public law related cases. The team therefore has a broad experience. The people are competent lawyers. Their knowledge is complemental to the in-house knowledge of government lawyers‘.
‘Liesbeh Schippers and Roelof Reinders are very dedicated, accessible and easy to get along with. They are real team players and are able to make the team work in a very pleasant way‘.
‘Danielle Roelands is the guru in the field of environmental law (and actually all other administrative law matters). She always answers my questions quickly and in a pragmatic way. She does not have to do any research or write a memo before she is presenting me with the correct conclusion.’
‘Jim Zweers also responds very quickly to several ad hoc questions. We are also very pleased with their work when we need a complete due diligence research about the administrative aspects of an acquisition. The lawyers of the planning and environmental team of Pels Rijcken are very pragmatic without losing sight of the legal framework‘.
‘Liesbeth Schippers is a very enthusiastic and hard working attorney. She works very fast without compromising the impressive quality of her legal advice. With her inspiring personality, her knowledge covers a wide range of subjects and her effective and accurate way of thinking makes a difference in court‘.
Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment
Ministry of Economic Affairs
Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality
Netherlands Enterprise Agency
Dutch Land Registry
Municipality of The Hague
Municipality of Rotterdam
Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority
Jumbo Supermarkten BV
- Advised the Municipality of Maastricht on the zoning plans and during appeal proceedings concerning the launch of a tram service between Maastricht and Hasselt.
- Advising the Municipality of the Hague on a development project transforming industrial estate Binckhorst into a combined residential and business area with 5,000 homes being built.
- Representing the Minister of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy in the appeal proceedings concering the extraction of gas from the Groningen gas field.
Stibbe handles litigation and advisory work in relation to infrastructure projects which involve extensive planning advice. Key individuals in the firm's environment and planning team include Jan Reinier van Angeren, Tom Barkhuysen, and Anna Collignon. The firm's client roster includes the Municipality of Almere, Schiphol Airport, and RWE. The team is assisting the Municipality of Purmerend with a case concerning the distance requirements around LPG filling stations and compatibility with EU legal requirements.
‘Legal work has very high quality. Highest quality you can find in The Netherlands. The team is very dedicated and always accessible. Day and night‘.
‘Their legal knowledge stands out and all individuals are really great to work with. Besides that, they give confidence in complex legal projects‘.
Ernst & Young Accountants LLP
Municipality of Purmerend
Municipality of Leeuwarden
Municipality of Almere
- Advise DVM on real estate matters such as construction and expansion of real estate.
- Assisting Municipality of Purmerend with a case concerning the distance requirements around LPG filling stations and compatibility with EU legal requirements.
- Assisting Albemarle with the revision of permits.
Boutique law firm Van der Feltz Advocaten, based in The Hague, has expertise in sectors ranging from construction and real estate, to energy and water. It advises on sustainable energy projects, zoning and planning matters and includes developers, investors, and local and regional authorities among its clients. Willem Bosma, Jacques Sluysmans and Willem van der Werf lead the team. Clients praise Sluysmans for being 'very knowledgeable in his field of expertise'.
‘Firm’s partner Jacques Sluysmans advised us on 2 regulation of ownership cases. He is very knowledgeable in his field of expertise‘.
Municipality of Rijswijk
Municipality of Pijnacker-Nootdorp
VORM Ontwikkeling B.V.
N.V. Nederlandse Gasunie
Eastman Chemical Middelburg B.V.
Vermilion Energy Netherlands B.V.
Tata Steel IJmuiden B.V.
Province of South Holland (DCMR/OZHZ)
ENGIE Services Nederland B.V.
Dutch Railways (NS)
- Advising the Municipality of Voorschoten on the redevelopment of 330,000 square metres of glasshouses in the ‘Duivenvoorde Corridor’.
- Assisting Vermilion with environmental permits for exploratory drilling.
- Representing Tata Steel in proceedings regarding graphite emissions.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP's regulatory and environment team stands out for its multi-jurisdictional work in litigation, stand-alone advisory work as well as project financing. The firm's client roster includes ING bank and European Metal Recycling. Werner Runge leads the practice and is acting as Rabobank’s counsel on the financing of six onshore wind farm projects with Dutch-based wind energy project developer Yard Energy. Clients praise the team's experience and 'high level of know how'.
‘High level of know how. Smooth alignment between different departments‘.
‘Very senior and experienced‘.
European Metal Recycling
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
N. V. Slibverwerking Noord-Brabant
Sloe Centrale B.V.
Uniper Benelux N.V. /E.ON Benelux
- Advising ABC Vastgoed and its subsidiary Hembrug Zaandam on administrative proceedings concerning the redevelopment of the Zaandstad Hembrug area, including all zoning and permitting aspects.
- Advising Uniper on the permitting and environmental aspects of a forced shut-down of their coal-fired power plant as part of the Dutch government’s attempts to meet their climate change policy ambitions.
- Representing Sloe Centrale in proceedings before the Dutch Council of State in a matter concerning the Nature Protection Act and its approach to fight nitrogen deposition (PAS).
Boutique firm ENVIR Advocaten is a known specialist in environmental law particularly on nature conservation, zoning and planning issues. The firm also assists with environmental and regulatory aspects of M&A transactions. Key individuals on the team include Marieke Kaajan, Fleur Onrust, and Iris Kieft. Onrust advised Chidda Vastgoed on permit and protected species requirement proceedings for the redevelopment of land in the port of Amsterdam. Clients praise the team's ability to understand the 'business needs of the client'.
‘At ENVIR they combine the quality services of a top tier firm with the personal attention of the partners of a boutique firm‘.
‘The team is very experienced, hands on and understands the business needs of the client and translate that into practical advice‘.
‘Iris Kieft is very knowlegdeable on sustainability; speaks the language of the client and understand the client’s business‘.
‘Very specialized firm in evironmental law. Highly professional and very up to date‘.
‘Both Marieke Kaajan and Fleur Onrust stand-out, whereby Fleur Onrust is known for her speed and pragmatic advice where such is required‘.
Chidda Vastgoed B.V.
Province of South Holland
Buren Legal N.V.
Le Garage B.V.
Windpark Zeewolde B.V.
Raedthuys Windenergie B.V
Windpark Kroningswind B.V
Province of Fryslân
YARD Energy and innogy
- Advised Chidda Vastgoed permit and protected species requirement proceedings for the redevelopment of land in the port of Amsterdam.
- Advises Buren Legal on permits and environmental law issues in M&A transactions, for example the sale of a logistics business park in the agriculture and food industry (ABC Westland).
- Assisting top Amsterdam restaurant Le Garage with permits and consents including securing a new permit for an air extractor system in the kitchen.
Lexence handles a wide range of environment and zoning issues in combination with its real estate work. Key clients include Kroonenberg Groep, Slokker Vastgoed, and De Realisatie. Practice head Michael Klijnstra is praised for his exceptional client service and ability to simplify complex situations. Klijnstra is assisting Cementbouw B.V. with permits and zoning issues concerning cement plants.
‘In depth knowledge of the relevant legal matters combined with the ability to maintain a comprehensive overview of the total situation‘.
‘Michael always pick up his phone and takes the time to understand the issue. The key succes of Michael is that even how big or difficult the situation is. Michael can explain it in simple words so everybody can understand it‘.
‘To the point, in depth knowledge, accessible and open minded, explore alternatives. Ability to really argue and reason from the perspective of the client‘.
CBRE global investors
Cementbouw (part of CRH; Ireland)
De Hoge Dennen
- Advising Midvast on several new developments, including Amsterdam-North (transformation of former business park) and project Gedempt Hamerkanaal.
- Assisting Cementbouw B.V. with permits and zoning issues concerning cement plants.
- Advising De Realisatie on several new developments in Almere (De Binderij), Zwolle (Voorsterweg) and De Rijp (De Pauw).
NautaDutilh's substantial public law practice is home to specialists in administrative, planning and zoning and environmental laws. It handles a broad range of work that extends to regulated markets such as telecoms, food and commodities and proceedings with governmental bodies regarding matters such as licences and subsidies. Team members also advise government departments on legislative matters and are represented on a number of advisory committees to Municipalities, Provinces and the State. Jolize Lautenbach heads the team. Anne-Marie Klijn has left the practice to join NewGround Law. Jochem Spaans joined from Allen & Overy LLP.
- Advising the Municipality of Amsterdam on all aspect of the €4.2bn project development of Zuidas consists of the construction of new infrastructure (including the expansion of road, rail and metro links and the construction of a tunnelled section of the A10 motorway. Assistance includes project management on all environmental and planning aspects of the development.
- Assisted tour operator TUI and its integrated airline TUI fly in proceedings against the Airport Coordination Netherlands under the EU Slot Regulation for wrongful allocation of its historical night slots at Schiphol Airport – the so-called ‘scarce rights’.
- Assist ChemCom Industries B.V. with advice and represented ChemCom in legal proceedings regarding a substantial amount of enforcement measures from different regulatory authorities related to several alleged violation of Major Accidents (Risks) Decree 2015, the Environmental Management Act and the Working Conditions Act.
- Represents the Allard Pierson Museum (University of Amsterdam) in all civil law and public law proceedings regarding the ancient Crimean treasures
Ploum has in-depth expertise in environment and planning law, especially issues concerning refineries and tank storage. Key clients include petroleum companies BP and Shell, as well as tank storage companies Vopak and Maasvlakte Olie Terminal. Maayke Maas-Cooymans and Alexandra Danopoulos lead the practice. Maas-Cooymans is assisting HKZ Devex with the tender procedure for the development of Hollandse Kust. Stephan F.J. Sluiter also advised on this matter.
‘Good connection and engagement to the position of the company. Excellent knowledge of applicable law, experienced in high exposure cases and know how dealing with authorities‘.
‘Stephan Sluiter is a pleasure to deal with. He has a lot of expertise and is able to translate the input of the business quickly and correctly in legal documents. He is sensitive in relationships of the business with competent authorities and always looking for more permanent solutions than going to court. Furthermore, he has a good sense of humour and he is modest‘.
‘The team is headed by Maayke Maas and Stephan Sluyter. Both are very capable and have extended knowledge of the relevant case law concerning environmental issues, especially in harbor related cases‘.
‘Alexandra Danopoulos – Very practical, good listener and knows how the business thinks‘.
Wintershall Noordzee B.V.
The Chemours Company
Koole Botlek Terminals
Zeeland Refinery N.V.
- Assisting HKZ Devex B.V. with the tender procedure for the development of Hollandse Kust (Zuid) Wind Farm Zone Sites III and IV.
- Representing the consortia Almere Hout and Zeewolde in proceedings against the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate that is planning to facilitate one of the largest windmill farms in the ‘Oosterwold’ area.
- Advising Boskalis on environmental and spatial planning aspects of project “Brouwerseiland” in Grevelingen lake and represented Boskalis in objection and appeal proceedings.
Six Advocaten is a boutique firm with significant expertise in real estate matters and also handles a substantial amount of zoning issues for its clients. The firm regularly advises Municipality of Diemen, Bouwfonds Property Development (BPD), and Den Helder Airport. Practice head Irma Van den Berg advised Amrâth Hotels on building permit procedures for a 28 floor-building located in Utrecht. Hanneke Ellerman is also noted, and praised for her experience and 'eye for commercial interest'.
‘Six advocaten is a no nonsense boutique firm specialised in Real Estate and connected fields of interest. The partners and employees are knowledgeable, they are easily accessible and respond quickly‘.
‘The interest of the client is well understood and the solution of problems is considered more important than the strict legal approach without going beyond their own competences (good sparring partners)’.
‘Hanneke Ellerman, very good in her field, experienced and with an eye for commercial interests‘.
‘Irma is very capable and has far-reaching legal and strategic ideas and advice. Wouter is a very reliable consultant with a broad perspective on his profession‘.
Municipality of Diemen
Den Helder Airport
Bouwfonds Property Development (BPD)
AM Real Estate Development
A&O Hotels and Hostels
HSB Ontwikkeling B.V.
NWO-I / Astron
- Assisted BPD with zoning plan proceedings of a housing development of 2,750 residences.
- Advised Amrâth Hotels on building permit procedure for a 28 floor-building located in Utrecht.
- Represented HSB Bouw in zoning plan proceedings regarding the development of 116 residences in Purmerend.
Straatman Koster Advocaten has an established record for handling matters in the real estate and construction markets. The firm regularly represents a number of municipalities, including the municipalities of Rotterdam, Leiden, Gouda. A matter highlight includes advising PolanenPark on various environmental and planning issues regarding a business park near Haarlem/Schiphol. Marinda de Smidt and Joost Hoekstra lead the practice. Clients praise the team's 'dedicated approach' and 'down to earth' nature. Anne Marie Ferwerda is also noted.
‘This practice is unique for me because of it’s dedicated approach. They deliver sharp written advice in time; high knowledge of our business; good personal approach‘.
‘The individuals (A. Ferwerda, F. van Nouhuys, S. Tichelaar) I worked with are all dedicated to the case, always deliver in time, are (very) sharp in mind and are normal and down to earth. All of these aspects that for me are what makes them different to their competitors‘.
Schiphol Area Development Company
Municipality of Rotterdam
Municipality of Leiden
Municipality of Gouda
Municipality of Almere
Municipality of Gooise Meren
Municipality of The Hague
- Advising Green Park Gebiedsontwikkeling on various environmental and planning issues for a business park “Green Park Aalsmeer” near Amsterdam Schiphol.
- Advising PolanenPark on various environmental and planning issues regarding a business park near Haarlem / Schiphol.
- Advised Klépierre in legal proceedings regarding several zoning plans and permits for the expansion and refurbishment of Hoog Catharijne Mall.
Van Doorne advises local and provincial authorities as well as private developers on a range of environment and zoning issues and clients praise the team's 'expertise and creativity'. Cees Kniestedt leads the practice and is experienced in real estate law, from project development to construction. Key clients include Loro Parque Fundacion, Municipality of Gooise Meren, and Hornbach Nederland. Key highlights include senior team member Annet Blokhuis representing Loro Parque in court in relation to the relocation of orca Morgan.
‘Specialists in multiple fields‘.
‘Expertise and creativity‘.
Loro Parque Fundacion
Hornbach Nederland B.V.
Struik Quality Foods N.V.
Municipality of Gooise Meren
Municipality of Amstelveen
Shi Hotel Group
Rederij Kooij B.V.
Jaba Pot B.V.
DNB (De Nederlandse Bank)
Dusness Onroerend Goed B.V.
- Long-term advisors to Hornback on planning and zoning issues for the establishment of new stores.
- Represented Loro Parque in court proceedings concerning the approval of the relocation of orca Morgan issued by the State Secretary for Economic Affairs.
- Acts as legal counsel of Rederij Kooij for zoning and permit issues, as well as representing Rederij Kooij in a compensation for loss case due to the construction of the “Noord/Zuid lijn” metro in Amsterdam.
Loyens & Loeff is home to a stand-alone practice which offers the full range of planning and environment expertise. Headed by Guido Koop and Kim Lucassen, it often works in concert with its M&A, real estate, and energy departments for clients as varied as Cargill, Shell, Blackstone and Dutch port authorities. Senior associate Victor van Ahee has broad experience in environment and health and safety matters including those relating to soil contamination, product safety, and occupational hazards.
Port of Amsterdam
CBRE Global Investors
Municipality of Rotterdam
Real.I.S Real Estate
Municipality of Utrecht
- Represents market-leading logistics developer DHG in various administrative (court) proceedings, including amongst others a successful defense of a building permit issued to DHG for construction of a logistical business park in Venray. Also assisted DHG in the soil remediation scheme for this logistical business park.
- Represented Alliander NV, one of the Netherland’s biggest energy/utilities companies, in concluded a long lasting court dispute against the Province of North-Holland where the Province accused Alliander of violating soil protection legislation and imposing fines up to EUR 120.000 (which is extraordinarily high in the Netherlands). Successfully contested both fines up to the Council of State.
- Acted for the Port Authority and several companies in the Amsterdam port area (inter alia companies belonging to the Renewi-, Vattenfal- and VTTI-groups). Filed appeals against an experimental zoning plan of the Municipality of Zaanstad for the development of over 1.000 houses and office- and commercial space in the port area.
CMS handles administrative proceedings, zoning and environmental law and regularly advises local waterboards, municipalities and provincial authorities. Key clients include the Municipality of Waalwijk, and water board Drents Overijsselse Delta. Practice head Luurt Wildeboer assisted McDonald's Nederland with objection and appeal proceedings in relation to the opening of a new restaurant in Deventer. Petra Heemskerk co-heads the practice.
McDonald’s Nederland B.V.
PLUS Retail B.V.
Van der Bijl Mengvoeders B.V.
Waterboard Hoogheemraadschap De Stichtse Rijnlanden
Water board Drents Overijsselse Delta
Medtronic Trading NL B.V.
The municipality of Waalwijk
- Assisted McDonald’s Nederland with objection and appeal proceedings in relation to the opening of a new restaurant in Deventer.
- Advising national supermarket chain PLUS on the application for an environmental permit to build a high-end, automated distribution center in Oss (Netherlands).
- Advised Van der Bijl in multi-party negotiations with regard to a revision of the environmental permit.
The Dentons public law practice has a strong focus on energy, infrastructure and real estate development. The firm's renewable energy work has grown considerably and it advises energy companies RWE, Eurus, BECC, and Total. Practice head Jan Jakob Peelen is advising Eurus Energy Group on its acquisition of six Wind farms from Yard. Clients praise Peelen's 'responsive' and 'pragmatic' approach. Valentijn Leijh is also noted and is advising HKS Scrap Metals on environmental law and waste water regulations, alongside Peelen.
‘We work with Jan Jakob Peelen and really appreciate working with him. We are quite selective when working with lawyers. In these busy times we need lawyers that act as an extension of our team. Lawyers that are responsive, knowledgeable, hands-on, pragmatic, deliver easy to understand advice and that can take us by the hand if needed. He definitely qualifies as such. We look forward to working with him in the many years to come!‘
‘They are well aware of the latest developments. They can analyze our questions well and ask the right questions. They are reliable in quality, comply with agreements and are involved. They are cost-conscious and there is sufficient time to discuss matters‘.
‘Dentons is able to develop a planning strategy in a very early stage together with us and thus based on our desired real estate development strategy, which allows us to develop a project based on our strategy, but ensuring that we are able to get zoning/building approval in time‘.
‘Valentijn Leijh is a real sparring partner for us in our strategic decisions. Because we involve Dentons in an early stage, Dentons is able to develop a planning strategy advise and combined with our development efforts the advice has to date been 100% successful: it has led to 2 irrevocable zoning plans, 4 irrevocable building permits and 2 water permits for over 1,000 dwellings in the last 5 years. The costs invested in the planning advice in the pre-phase are easily returned, since it also leads to the outcome that we hardly have to fight appeals against zoning plans/permits‘.
HKS Scrap Metals
Susquehanna International Securities
PLUS Vastgoed BV/ PLUSRetail BV
- Advised RWE on the conversion of coal-fired Amer power plant into a biomass plant.
- Advising Eurus Energy Group on its acquisition of 6 Wind farms from Yard.
- Advising CTF Amsterdam on the development of a luxury hotel in the former Palace of Justice in thecity center of Amsterdam.
DLA Piper's environment and planning team falls within the firm's litigation and regulatory practice. Its public law expertise includes environment and planning skills which are applied to the real estate, energy, manufacturing, transport and infrastructure sectors. The firm has particular experience in real estate and advises on project development and transactional matters. Ewald Netten heads the litigation and regulatory practice, while Arjen de Snoo is head of environment and planning; Snoo is advising the Municipality of Urk on a new housing area, business park and harbour.
BG Retail / Bricorama
John Swire & Sons, Argent Energy Netherlands
- Advised Segro plc on the development of a logistic centre near Schiphol Amsterdam Airport.
- Assisting Bricorama with the (re)development of several DIY stores and related projects.
- Advising the Municipality of Urk in relation to a new housing area, business park and harbour.
Hemwood has a team of environment and planning specialists with a niche focus on inner-city (re)developments of residential, hotels and other types of properties. Key clients include AM Real Estate Developments, Royal Bijenkorf, and Amrath. Eefje van Bommel heads the practice and clients praise her 'excellent legal skills' and 'solution driven' approach. The team is known for its 'up-to-date' legal knowledge and 'business sense'. Gijs Heutink is a seasoned practitioner in this area.
‘The team has acurate up-to-date knowledge of all legal matters concerning real estate and adjacent legislation. They come up with creative practical solutions. We have worked with them for years and will continue to do so‘.
‘Eefje van Bommel MRE MRICS is the go-to name for complex inner city (re)developments, having handled many significant permit and planning procedures, for domestic clients. Eefje is solution driven, has a good technical knowledge and provides practical and focused advise‘.
‘Eefje van Bommel at Hemwood is an extremely intelligent and practical lawyer. She has excellent legal skills and does what it takes to reach her client’s goals. She has shown to be responsive, proactive and attentive to her client’s needs. Moreover she is pleasant to work with and a true professional‘.
‘Hemwood is highly specialized but also broad; I can call them for any matter in relation to any type of legal issue regarding property so Hemwood for me is a one-stop shop. I have built relationships with different partners of the firm. They are all leaders in their field, highly knowledgeable but also efficient and pragmatic in their approach because they are able to take my business perspective into account in their advice. I have worked with other firms but have not found this unique combination of knowledge and business sense‘.
AM Real Estate Developments
De Hoge Dennen B.V.
- Advising Doniger Urban Developments on the redevelopment of four former office buildings into residential apartments.
- Advising KNSF Vastgoed on the development of a former gun powder plan in Muiden into residential homes.
- Advising Hotels van Oranje on the development of a 5 star hotel and 120 residential apartments in the center of Noordwijk.
Kennedy Van der Laan
The Kennedy Van der Laan environment and planning team cover spatial administrative, environmental, and nature conservation law. The firm advises Dutch municipalities on areas such as the construction of wind farms and the realization of business parks. Key clients include the Port of Amsterdam, Avandis (Lucas Bols), and Urban Interest. Practice head Anita Nijboer is particularly active in environment and permitting law and is assisting the municipalities of Duiven and Montferland with the development of business parks.
Port of Amsterdam
Avandis (Lucas Bols)
Municipality of Duiven
Municipality of Montferland
Nederlands Auschwitz Comité
- Advises Avandis (Lucas Bols) on permit issues.
- Advises Urban Interest regarding all inner-city redevelopment projects, assisting with obtaining permits and changing zone plans.
- Assisting the municipalities of Duiven and Montferland with business parks and the development of an additional XXL business park for logistics.
Real estate boutique, Stijl Advocaten provides its real estate clients with a full range of related planning and environment expertise. Two of the founding partners - Taco Hovius and Truke den Uyl-Slagter, together with Michiel van Driel, advise developers, municipalities and investors on spatial planning and environmental permit matters, cultural heritage and nature protection issues.