Full-service firm Baker McKenzie Abogados, S.C. fields a six-strong environmental department led by Tijuana-based partner Federico Ruanova (environment and climate change law with an emphasis on environmental impact and risk). Praised for its work ‘related to the development of energy projects’, the group also handles environment and climate change law, regulatory compliance, clean-ups, audits, corporate policies and management systems, contentious administrative proceedings and environmental litigation. Recent mandates include advising Real Alloy on securing a waste management and disposal permits; and Ledvance Manufacturing obtain the environmental permits for a new industrial facility. On the construction industry front, the team (which includes Mexico City-based senior associate Mario Facio Salazar) is advising Caterpillar in an administrative litigation against Mexico's National Water Commission in a case involving lapsed water rights. Associates Ninna Rippa-Solorzano and Alejandra Muriel-Vizcaino, in Mexico and Guadalajara respectively, are also noted.
Environment in Mexico
Baker McKenzie Abogados, S.C.
‘This team has extensive experience in environmental issues related to the development of energy projects, specifically with respect to national waters. Good attitude and quick responses from Mario Facio are always valued and appreciated.‘
Black & Decker
- Advising Ledvance Manufacturing on securing the environmental permits required for a new industrial facility that the company purchased from Osram de Mexico.
- Advising manufacturer Real Alloy on securing a waste management and disposal permit (for aluminium smelting slag), from the state environmental agency of Coahuila, Mexico.
- Advising for construction group CAT on initiating administrative litigation against Mexico’s National Water Commission in a case concerning the lapsing of water rights.
- On-going legal advice to Gas Natural Fenosa regarding compliance with environmental and occupational health and safety requirements throughout Mexico.
- Advising Iron Horse on preparing a proposal for a PPP for the construction of a container port in Punta Colonet, Baja California, as well as a railroad link to the United States’ border.
Carvajal Machado Abogados
Following the December 2020 dissolution of SOLCARGO into three separate firms, the firm's former administrative and environmental units have opened a specialist boutique, Carvajal Machado Abogados. The four-strong envoironmental practice has an impressive track record on project development-related issues, permitting and audits, and litigation, and is praised for ‘knowing the sector perfectly’. The team is co-led by seasoned environmental expert Gustavo Carvajal, who handles both contentious and non-contentious issues; and environmental regulatory specialist Carlos Del Razo - appointed partner in January 2020 - who is ‘always seeking to understand the development of the project from the point of view of the client’. Recent highlights include advising ENI regarding its health, security and environmental obligations at municipal, state and federal levels of government. Administrative litigation expert Juan Pedro Machado is active in contentious environmental matters, with key associate support provided by Jorge Gómez DeSilva, who also focuses on administrative and environmental matters, along with anti-corruption and AML.
‘They are an office with extensive experience with great social commitment. They have been able to adapt to a new way of working and hiring, in addition to giving us pro bono legal advice.‘
‘Their strength is that despite being a large office they have an area led by a founding partner focused exclusively on environmental matters. Also, in project development, they approach things with an optic to shield all projects against the possibility of any future litigation, thereby providing security to clients. I have worked with different lawyers in my career as an environmental consultant and it certainly equals other highly-regarded law firms and their environmental work. Carlos del Razo, a partner in the environmental area, despite his young age, has extensive experience and knowledge of environmental issues; always seeks to understand the development of the project from the point of view of the client and together, it adds value by complying with environmental regulations in the projects on which they are consulted, never neglecting the protection of the environment to ensure sustainable development and feasibility of future projects.‘
‘Yes, they know the energy sector perfectly, which allows them to provide environmental advice tailored to the needs of the company considering the sector. Juan Pedro Machado: it is very difficult for external lawyers to know the operation of our company, but Juan knows the energy sector and its operations perfectly, which allows him to develop preventive advice for compliance with the environmental regulations applicable specifically to the project.‘
Sistemas de Tratamiento Ambiental
Nautilus Explorer México (Icarus Aviation)
Atlas Renewable Energy
- Advised Nautilus Explorer México on the environmental permitting required for, and other issues related to, its operation of baiting for sharks as part of a tourist diving cage experience.
- Advised ENI Mexico regarding its health, security and environmental obligations with regard to municpal, state and federal requirements.
- Advising engineering group Novo Control on the development of an Industrial Safety, Operational Security and Environmental Protection administration system (SASISOPA).
- Advised steel manufacturer Aceros Camesa on environmental impact authorizations from the Ministry of the Environment (SEMARNAT).
Celis Aguilar Álvarez y Asociados, SC
Leading environmental boutique Celis Aguilar Álvarez, Guzmán Sarti y Asociados, SC handles the full range of environmental matters, both contentious (administrative procedures, revisions, nullity cases, amparos, collective actions and civil, state and criminal responsibility), and non-contentious, including regulatory advisory; compliance, audits and concessions, licenses and permitting. The compact team is led by ‘industry pioneer’, 25-year environment-law veteran Humberto Celis; Cancún office-head Cristina Sánchez, who leads the firm’s engagement with the tourist industry; and Roberto Antonio Guzmán Sartí who directs the consulting and litigation areas related to environmental impact, residues, emissions, remediation, citizen participation, indigenous consultations and climate change, among others. Recent matters saw the firm advise the seller of a pair of storage facilities, properties with considerable potential environmental liabilities. Experienced associates Gabriela Espir (administrative, civil constitutional and environmental litigation), and David Salgado López, who brings knowledge of the mining sector (where, additionally, the firm operates an alliance with specialist boutique Vázquez, Sierra & García). Further to its Mexico and Cancún offices, the firm also maintains representation in Glendale, California.
National full-service powerhouse, Creel, García-Cuéllar, Aiza y Enríquez, S.C., is a regular advisor on major real estate, energy and infrastructure development projects, as well as corporate M&A and administrative litigation. Praised for its ‘expertise and agility’, the practice -led by highly-regarded partner Carlos De Icaza (environment and real estate)- frequently advises clients from sectors including hospitality, retail, manufacturing and energy in the full range of environmental matters, including regulatory matters compliance and administrative litigation. Recent mandates saw the firm advise Macquarie Infrastructure on the acquisition of the Eólica de Arriaga and Eólica Los Altos wind-farms, including all environmental aspects and advising Asterion Industrial Partners on the environmental aspects concerning electricity supply, emergency systems, adequate conditions and server temperatures, related to its acquisition of a data centre. A strong associate group includes highly-experienced senior associates Jessica Villaverde, Alejandro Castelló and Mariana Westendarp.
‘Expertize and agility. Carlos Icaza and Mariana Westendarp.‘
Terminal KMS de GNL
Calizas Industriales del Carmen (CALICA)
Macquarie Infrastructure Partners IV
Live Nation Entertainment
BIP Mercury I / Blackstone Infrastructure Partners.
White Summit Capital
Korea Electric Power Corporation / Sprott Global Renewable Private Equity Fund III
Asterion Industrial Partners
- Counsel to Macquarie Infrastructure Partners on various environmental aspects related to the acquisition of wind projects Eólica de Arriaga and Eólica Los Altos.
- Advised Grupo Celanese on the environmental legal obligations applicable to the stoppage and ceasing of all manufacturing operations at its ‘Complejo Ocotlan’ industrial plant in the Municipality of Poncitlan, Jalisco.
- Mexican counsel to Asterion Industrial Partners on its acquisition of a Mexican data center, requiring advice on the environmental aspects of electricity supply, including electricity emergency systems, adequate conditions and temperature for servers’ operations and environmental impact matters.
- Mexican counsel to White Summit Capital and Riverstone on the acquisition of two Mexican photovoltaic projects – Viborillas and San Ignacio – each of which holds a Power Purchase Agreement; the environmental advice focused particularly on federal environmental impact issues and forestry matters.
- Counsel to Live Nation Entertainment in the acquisition of 51% of OCESA Entretenimiento, requiring analysis of its compliance with applicable environmental laws and regulations concerning several live-entertainment venues.
González Calvillo, SC has developed a strong practice group that is notable for the varied and complimentary practice-focus of its members, many of whom have been working together for over a decade. It handles the full range of preventative and advisory environmental work, as well as all associated litigation, including before environmental ministry SEMARNAT, water agency CONAGUA, and the Federal Environmental Protection Prosecutor (PROFEPA). With particular expertise in energy, water management and hazardous waste control, department-head Leopoldo Burguete-Stanek is a pioneer in the sector with over 30 years' experience across the full range of environmental matters (particularly regulatory, due diligence and project development in relation to cross border transactions). He and the ten-strong team recently advised Saavi Energía regarding on obtaining SEMARNAT environmental impact authorization to increase the output of the La Rosita combined-cycle thermoelectric plant. Highly experienced support comes from Enrique Muñoz Guízar (environmental law and regulatory matters, particularly regarding national waters, public bids and administrative procedures), and Carlos Castilla (contentious administrative environmental matters; administrative and criminal case management), both of whom were promoted to counsel in July 2020. Associates Georgina Zavala and Julia González Romero are also noted.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (a development agency dependant of the German Ministry of Environment)
M3 Resources Mexico
Gas y Petroquímica de Occidente (GPO)
Qualtia Alimentos Operaciones
- Advised Saavi Energía on SEMARNAT authorization to increase the electric power generation capacity of the La Rosita combined cycle thermoelectric plant in Mexicali, Baja California, by 79.5MW.
- Advised Dow Química Mexicana on gaining SEMARNAT authorisation for the importation, storage and distribution of diverse chemical substances.
- Represented Gas y Petroquímica de Occidente -as an interested third party- in multiple amparo trials filed by several indigenous communities against the environmental impact authorizations granted the company for the development of an ammonia plant in Topolobampo, Sinaloa.
- Represented Qualtia Alimentos Operaciones in a a Federal Administrative Court annulment trial seeking the nullity of a resolution issued by national water commission CONGAUA, not recognizing the company’s previously acquired water exploitation rights.
Vera y Asociados
Established environmental boutique Vera y Asociados advises clients across key industries such as energy, tourism, manufacturing and mining on the full range of environmental matters, from energy, forestry and water law, to land contamination atmospheric pollution and social impact, as well as auditing, administrative and regulatory matters and litigation, among other sub-specialities. Of the practice group's three partners: Alejandro Aldana focuses on water law, environmental impact assessments, energy project development-related environmental matters; and administrative, environmental and tax litigation. Cancún office-head Gerardo Freyre’s practice centres on environmental, tourism, urban and real estate law, along with environmental management (for tourism developments) and environmental litigation. Gabriel Bustamante, in turn, directs the environmental consultancy department, which leads advice on energy, infrastructure and tourism developments, as well as handling toxic residues and legislative matters. Further to the firm’s Mexico City and Cancún offices, it also has representation in Guadalajara (Jalisco) and León (Guanajuato). Senior associates Daniel Gómez Ramírez (environmental advisory, litigation and arbitration), and María de Lourdes Bello Sánchez, who coordinates the eight-strong social and indigenous consultation group, are also both noted. The firm also counts on a 16 strong technical team including engineers, biologists and industrial, foresty and renewable-resource engineers.
Iberostar Hotels and Resorts
Housing a nine-strong environmental team, Galicia Abogados S.C. handles a wide range of issues, from support on major corporate transactions and infrastructure projects, to more specific contamination, water, hazardous waste management and litigation issues. Highly experienced 20-year environmental law veteran Mariana Herrero has broad experience on the environmental aspects of transactional and project development, corporate and liability management, and administrative permitting, among other matters. With over 15 years' experience in environmental matters (notably in complex regulatory issues concerning oil, gas and renewables; environmental impact and risk assessments, remediation and permitting), Carlos Escoto was appointed counsel as of Janaury 2021; he is undoubtedly one to watch. Senior associate Lucía Manzo (environmental law and regulation) is also noted.
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Banco Nacional de Comercio Exterior (Bancomext)
Sociedad Nacional de Crédito
Korean Export Import Bank
New Fortress Energy
- Advised ContourGlobal on the acquisition of two energy cogeneration plants from of Alpek, including all relevant environmental and permitting matters of the project.
- Advised Ex-Im Bank of Korea on the envronmental legal due diligence and permitting of a 433MW thermoelectric plant.
- Advised Ariston Thermo on the acquisition water heating business Calores an all attendate environmental aspects.
Jones Day offers a first-class environmental practice in Mexico, renowned for its comprehensive experience in all areas of environmental and health and safety legislation, and with a particular focus on compliance, environmental damage liability, climate change, and energy projects. Lead partner Mauricio Llamas is an environment-focused administrative and regulatory law specialist; identified as ‘extraordinary, very knowledgeable and efficient’, he heads a ‘committed’ team that recently advised Newmont Goldcorp on local community consultancy matters related to a new mine development, and construction group Elementia in relation to remediation procedures and ongoing environmental litigation. Environment and health and safety focused associate Mauricio Villegas brings key associate support, and tax and administrative litigator Andrés Lieja also acts on contentious environmental cases.
‘It is a great team, committed and qualified. Mauricio Llamas is an extraordinary lawyer. Very knowledgeable and efficient.‘
‘Very capable, skillful staff with sufficient technical knowledge to solve problems efficiently and very quickly. High technical knowledge and very good contacts at a professional level.’
‘Good response capacity, follow-up of issues, approach to various strategies that are tailored to the needs of the company. Mauricio Llamas (partner) and Mauricio Villegas (associate) excellent service.’
Procter & Gamble
The Green Organic Dutchman Holdings
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Toyota Motor Corp
Environmental Resources and Management (ERM)
- Adised Grupo Lesaffre on its greenhouse-gas emissions reporting obligations in Mexico, as well as representation in federal environmental administrative proceedings.
- Advising construction group Elementia on remediation procedures and environmental litigation related to new and existing cement plants.
- Assisted Newmont Goldcorp in negotiations with members of a local community blocking the development of a mine; including advice on the new environmental requirements for consulting indigenous communities living adjacent to a project’s construction and operation.
- Advised Grupo Lala on the execution of a comprehensive regulatory audit of its food and beverages manufacturing facilities and distribution centers.
Pontones & Ledesma
The well-regarded Pontones & Ledesma focuses on environmental law and litigation and covers a broad range of sectoral-matters ranging from impact assessment, risk and auditing; air, water and noise pollution, soil remediation and waste, among others. Dedicated environmental specialist Luigi Pontones has 'vast experience across environmental law and regulation’; he focuses on environmental audits; licensing, authorisations and permitting; land-use change, air emissions and waste management. Administrative specialist Arturo Ledesma, in turn, has particular expertise in amparo cases (as well as criminal law) and focuses his environmental practice on issues related to audits, waters, hazardous waste, soil remediation and defence against administrative and/or criminal charges of environmental liability. Key associate-level support comes from Pablo Martínez Santuario and Valeria Bustamante on the environmental and administrative fronts, respectively.
The sturdy, multi-disciplinary environmental and social impact practice at Ritch, Mueller y Nicolau, S.C. comprises practice head Héctor A Garza (particularly noted for his social impact and indigenous consultation capabilities), along with a six-strong team of experienced associates - notably seniors Estuardo Anaya and Christian Rosales. The department, which is frequently praised for its ‘great knowledge’, particularly regarding ‘social issues related to the development of energy projects’, provides key support to its energy, infrastructure, real estate and corporate teams, particularly in transactional matters. Recent mandates include primarily the environmental aspects of refinancings, along with environmental and regulatory due diligence and impact assessment matters. matters. Associates José Enrique Cruz Lozano and mid-2019 hire, Colombia-qualified María Fernandez Martínez Triviño (who has environmental experience in various jurisdictions), are both noted.
‘Ritch, Mueller, Heather and Nicolau always answer calls immediately and give their opinions based on their own experiences. They work well with other legal teams, are cooperative, and always seek to add value; Hector Garza has been a key part in the development of our project and is always ready to support.’
‘The team from the environmental area of Ritch, Mueller, Heather and Nicolau, seems almost exclusive to me, since almost no firm in Mexico has a team like this. Through this area, the client can be sure that the transaction or business he wants to do will be legally analysed from all legal and regulatory angles, and not just the specific analysis about the subject of the business.’
‘This team has great knowledge specifically in social issues related to the development of energy projects. Also, this team has very good relationships with authorities and Hector Garza is very knowledgeable and always provides sound advice.‘
Ainda, Energía e Infraestructura
- PAdvised Trina Solar on the potential acquisition of an energy portafolio of four photovoltaic wind-farm projects, including all environmental aspects.
- Represented La Bufa Wind and its sponsors on environmental legal advice in relation to the refinancing of a 130MW wind facility in Zacatecas, Mexico.
- Represented BBVA Bancomer in environmental legal advice concerning the refinancing of the construction loans made to Estación de Compresión Soto la Marina, a special purpose company owned by Enagas and Fermaca.
The seven-strong team led by partner Edmond Grieger at Von Wobeser y Sierra, SC provides contentious and non-contentious environmental support to numerous major international corporations, including BMW, BHP Biliton, Amgen and Grupo Modelo. Demonstrating 'real industry knowledge', the team also has solid experience in compliance issues (particularly regarding water supply and waste water discharges), environmental impact assessments, and the relevant municipal, state and federal environmental and social permits required for project development - particularly in the energy sector. The team is currently advising Invenergy on the environmental and social permitting of its multiple renewables' projects across the country. Senior associate Ariel Garfio, and associates Rebeca Márquez and Marco Polo Sánchez provide key environmental support, particularly in regard to the energy, infrastrucutre and real estate sectors. Since publication, Garfio has been appointed counsel, effective as of January 2021.
‘Excellent expertise in various subjects, focus on the industry in particular of our company. Commitment and expertise in providing the best service in a timely manner.’
‘Great knowledge of the industry in which our particular company operates, trust, integrity and reasonable fees.‘
Benteler de México
BMW / BMW de México
Anheuser Bush InBev / Grupo Modelo
Enersys de México
Faurecia Sistemas Automotrices
- Advising Invenergy on environmental and social authorizations and permits for the development, construction, and operation of its energy renewable generation projects throughout Mexico.
- Advised IEnova / Tag Pipelines del Norte on compliance with environmental and regulatory requirements for the operation of Los Ramones II-North natural gas pipeline.
- Advised TK Holding on the termination of all its environmental and regulatory obligations related to the winding-down of certain entities of Takata Corporation in Mexico.
Basham, Ringe y Correa, S.C. houses a four-strong "environment and sustainability consulting" practice which offers integrated consultancy but probably remains best known for its expertise in administrative litigation. The group recently represented Volkswagen de México before the Federal Administrative Court regarding an $8.5m fine imposed by the Federal Attorney for the Environmental Protection, a penalty resulting from the commercialisation of certain 2016-models without the corresponding environmental compliance certificates. Specialist senior associate Ricardo Evangelista, who formerly worked at Mexico's Environmental Protection Agency, is the key practice contact. Partner-level input comes from Juan Carlos Serra and Daniel Del Rio (who formerly co-led the practice). Up-coming associate Mariana Arrieta Maza is also noted.
PPG AP Resinas
World Bank Group
Volkswagen de México
Grupo Pozo Blanco / Grupo Prestige Worldwide
- Represented PPG AP Resinas in a Federal District Court case asserting the violation of diverse rights resulting from the impossibility of obtaining a concession title despite a transfer of rights by the former concessionaire to the company.
- The environmental law practice participated with the World Bank Group in the 2019 Enabling the Business of Agriculture Report by preparing a questionnaire concerning the legal framework applicable in Mexico to water resources.
- Advising ExxonMobil on the environmental requirements attendant to its plan to open 50 service stations in Mexico’s Bajío region.
Recognized environmental, regulatory and public law specialist Roberto Torres, heads the practice at Garrigues, which is primarily active across the renewable energy and hospitality sectors. The wind and solar segments, in particular, are a steady source of environmental due diligence instructions; other ongoing mandates includes permanent advice to Fibra Prologis on all environmental issues related to its real estate portfolio in Mexico. Associate Paulina Beck is noted.
ENEL Green Power México
Talesun Solar Switzerland
Grupo El Fuerte
Aldesa Energía Renovable México
AMC Fresh Group
- Advising Fuerte Group regarding the environmental issues related to the development of a 470-room luxury hotel in Cancún.
- Assisted ENEL Green Power Mexico with environmental due diligence concerning a 250MW wind farm.
- Assisting Veolia Mexico with environmental administrative disputes and litigation related to the operation of water and waste disposal assets in Mexico.
- Advised Talesun Solar Switzerland on the environmental and regulatory aspects of a 300MW photovoltaic plant, along with the environmental due diligence of a further four solar generation projects.
Ibarra, del Paso y Gallego's standalone practice has built a solid reputation in the environmental arena, primarily due the expertise of practice head and name partner Adrián del Paso, an ‘excellent attorney with a creative and entrepreneurial approach’. He is supported by a five-lawyer team, which includes senior associate Mauricio Sandoval, who is experienced in administrative, constitutional and environmental litigation. The team's recent caseload involves primarily environmental due diligence mandates (both internal and transaction related); along with issues ranging from hazardous-waste disposal and environmental impact assessments, statements and authorisations to nullity trials and administrative litigation against PROFEPA, CONAGUA and SEMARNAT resolutions.
‘The office has a solid team and great knowledge in environmental matters. The follow-up of the cases is exhaustive and they know the regulation very well. Great historical management of affairs and good relationship with the internal client who are not only lawyers but also manufacturing areas.‘
‘Adrian del Paso is an excellent attorney whose area of expertise is certainly the environmental area. Adrian is a legal professional with a creative and entrepreneurial approach, as well as a deep vocation in law to solve problems in an innovative and efficient way, giving a positive vision and support to his clients.‘
‘Proactivity and response speed; balancing regulatory requirements with best practices. Personalized attention by Adrian del Paso and Mauricio Sandoval.‘
Akazia Capital Partners
Sandvik Machining Solutions
Gergonne Plásticos Industriales
- Advised Akazia Capital Partners on an exhaustive legal environmental due diligence process related to its purchase of seven, operative “maquila” industry facilities in Matamoros, Mexico.
- Advised Swedish multinational, Sandvik on all legal-environmental aspects of its acquisition of a business/industrial division of Mexican industrial conglomerate Quimmco/QCT, assuming control of two primary operative industrial facilities in Querétaro, Querétaro and Saltillo, Coahuila.
- Advised Gergonne Plásticos Industriales on environmental matters in the context of the potential acquisition of an industrial facility and large plot of land from GE.
- Initiated amparo proceedings on behalf of Barlovento Consultores in response to SEMARNAT’s denial of a Federal environmental impact authorization exemption (due to the alleged presence of a spring zone) for the Urban Development Program of Valle de Bravo.
The Mexico office of the international heavyweight, White & Case S.C., is necessarily involved in the firm's flow of global deals, involving highly-experienced practice head, counsel Pedro Morales in the environmental and regulatory aspects of significant transactional matters. In terms of depth, however, the practice remains a work in progress, following the May 2020 departure of key associate Eduardo Mendez, who has left practice. Additional partner-level assistance comes from project finance-focused Roberto Rios; energy regulatory partner Francisco de Rosenzweig; administrative litigator Antonio Cardenas and M&A-focused Henri Capin.
La Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
Kansas City Southern Mexico
Climate Action Reserve of California
- Advised Newmont Mining on the local aspects of its review of environment-related issues regarding its global $10bn acquisition of Goldcorp.
- Ongoing advice to Grupo Barramar on a range of general environmental law matters and proceedings, particularly as regards the construction and operation of a 500-hectare tourist complex.
- Permanent environmental advice to rail group Kansas City Southern Mexico on the development of its activities and infrastructure, and regarding the rail-transportation of various materials, including oil products.
- Advised La Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) on a $500m financing extended to Mexican pharmaceutical company, Sanfer, including due diligence regarding environmental and health related matters.
The five-strong practice at international full-service firm, Greenberg Traurig, S.C., has an ever-growing presence in the environmental arena, particularly in relation to the energy sector and associated project development. The department is led by partner Erick Hernández Gallego, who has over 15 years' experience advising on the environmental aspects of project matters, along with land use, urban development, corporate environmental regularization, environmental impact and risk matters, soil contamination, emissions reductions, climate change, green project finance and the management of hazardous materials. Senior associate Luis Jorge Akle provides key specialist support; and associate Nancy Guillén Espinosa is also noted.
Banco Santander (México)
Morgan Rio Capital Management
BP México (formerly known as British Petroleum)
Taylor Farms de Mexico
Alignmex Capital USA
Envision Energy International
- Advised Morgan Rio Capital Management on environmental due diligence with regard to various acquisitions.
- Advising joint venture Tonalli Energía on environmental and regulatory matters related to its exploration and extraction license contract awarded in NHC round 1.3.
- Advised A Fish-N-Sea in environmental and regulatory due diligence for the purchase of several properties located in the “Reserva de la Biósfera Sian Ka’an” in Tulum, Quintana Roo.
The environmental practice at Hogan Lovells has particular expertise in water-related litigation, soil and sub-surface contamination (and associated remediation strategies), air emissions, hazardous substances and chemicals (handling, labelling and transportation), facilities expansion and new project development, and transactional support, as well as issues related to Mexico's energy reform. Co-led by partner Brenda Rogel Salgado and counsel Jeanett Trad, its recent mandates have involved issues concerning water-extraction rights; environmental impact; compliance, regulations and technical environmental and energy efficiency standards, enforcement procedures in relation to new air emission standards, and general environmental advisory.
Procter & Gamble
Ford Motor Company
IDEAS Iniciativa para el Desarollo Ambiental y Sustentable, SC
IDEAS Iniciativa para el Desarollo Ambiental y Sustentable, SC is a well-regarded boutique comprises both lawyers and environmental technicians, that offers a range of sophisticated legal and technical advice, covering sustainability programs, environmental impact studies, risk, regulations, waste management, water and air pollution, among other sub-specialties. Founding partner Daniel Basurto González leads the practice with key support from experienced associates Gilberto Fabela Ramírez and Gabriela Palacios Mejorada.
Seasoned partner, Aarón Levet, heads the practice at Santamarina y Steta. With over 35 years' experience and specialisation in environmental, natural resources, and real estate law, he regularly advises domestic and international clients on the environment aspects of transactional matters, particularly in the hospitality and industrial real estate sectors. Recent mandates have involved environmental and regulatory due diligence, hazardous waste management, compliance audits and the regularization of environmental obligations. Key support comes from seniors Isaac Zatarain (environment and natural resources, renewable and clean energy and real estate, along with anti-corruption matters), and October-2019 hire, Juan Carlos Aguirre, who has a significant track record in the sector.
Innophos Fosfatados de Mexico (Innophos)
Graftech Mexico (Graftech)
- Advised Bartlett on an environmental compliance due diligence process concerning in relation to the potenial acquisition of a grain facility in the State of San Luis Potosí.
- Advised Innophos on a review of its level of compliance with state environmental obligationsparticulary with regard to gypsum waste generated by its activities, as well as with the implementation of a strategy to comply with certain findings that may represent a risk to its day-to- day operations.