Christopher & Lee Ong is a member firm of Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP, which has a network that allows the shipping and international trade department to be involved in disputes throughout the region. The four-partner team handles the full range of services extending to cargo and allied marine insurance. Notable recent matters include Clive Selvapandian’s successful representation of Marine and General Berhad and Jasa Merin (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd in obtaining a judgment in favour of the clients in the Admiralty Court. Jainil Bhandari leads the team which also advises on oil shipment and trading matters.
Shipping in Malaysia
Other key lawyers:
‘One quality that clients value, maybe above all else, is for lawyers to be commercially savvy. It is always helpful that our lawyers can advise us about, or even to anticipate, the real-world implications that follow each decision we make. In this regard, the shipping team at CLO excels at offering sound legal advice that is grounded in reality.’
‘Clive is always sharp in his analysis, and very approachable.’
‘The firm also advises on oil shipment and trading matters. He and his team are very responsive and trustworthy.’
Marine & General Berhad
Rajah and Tann Singapore LLP
WK Webster (International) Pte Ltd
Emas Victoria (L) Berhad
Spica Services (M) Sdn Bhd
- Successfully represented Marine and General Berhad and Jasa Merin (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd in obtaining a judgment in favour of the clients in the Admiralty Court.
- Representing WK Webster (International) Pte Ltd, Global Marine Surveying Sdn Bhd & EG i-solution Sdn Bhd in a ship collision dispute involving three vessels.
Shearn Delamore & Co's shipping practice, led by Rajasingam Gothandapani, handles contentious and transactional matters for a wide range of Malaysian and international clients including banks, cargo owners, charterers, freight forwarders, logistics companies, P&I clubs, port and terminal operators, ship owners, and shipyards. Gothandapani is also experienced in compliance, environmental audits, and liability issues.
‘They have a large pool of lawyers. So it’s easy to get quick response.’
‘Rajasingam is very meticulous in his work.’
‘Rajasingam provides prompt, clear and commercial legal advice.’
‘Flexible and willingly working odd hours to meet the client’s schedule for discussion and gathering comprehensive information in order to ensure the success of the cases/matters they are dealing with.’
‘Very knowledgeable, accommodative and easy to work with.’
‘Rajasingam and his team are prompt and provide good legal advice with good outcomes in court. The team is also diverse.’
The HongKong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd of Singapore
Chem-Specialties Sdn Bhd
Citigroup Global Markets Ltd London, U.K.
CMS Cement Industries Sdn Bhd.
Heliconia Capital Management Pte Ltd
BASF PETRONAS Chemicals Sdn Bhd.
Quest Marine Consultant Co.,Ltd
New Orient Marine Pte Ltd
Johor Port Berhad
Bintulu Port Holdings Berhad
Dialog Group of Companies
Pelabuhan Tanjung Pelepas Sdn Bhd
Sativale Mathew Arun
Shaikh David & Co
Shaikh David & Co, an associate firm of Clyde & Co LLP, ‘specialises in shipping litigation and insurance and insolvency-related work in the maritime sector‘. It handles a range of matters from casualties to bill of lading and charterparty disputes including acting for port operators, clubs, ship owners and other marine support service providers. It also advises on ship sale and purchase and shipbuilding contracts. James P David leads the team.
‘Shaikh David & Co specialises in shipping litigation and insurance and insolvency-related work in the maritime sector. It is rare to find such a specialist law firm in Malaysia.’
‘James David – very experienced senior member of the shipping bar in Malaysia. Someone we could count on for pragmatic and commercial advice’.
‘Our company has worked with Shaikh David & Co. for many years. James David and his team are talented, honest and experienced lawyers. They are always a phone call away and responded directly to my questions professionally and promptly. They showed their best at all times.’
‘James David and his team, Foo Siew Yin provide us legal advice pertaining to insurance matters which occasionally involves shipping claims. They do an exceptional job in breaking down complex shipping matters and the law surrounding it and providing us answers in words that we understand. They are efficient in both time and cost. James is someone that we know who will go the extra mile and was always there for us above and beyond our client/lawyer relationship. ’
Skrine’s shipping practice is jointly led by Siva Kumar Kanagasabai who handles contentious matters and enforcement of ship mortgages under conventional and Islamic facilities; and Fariz Abdul Aziz who advises on the full range of non-contentious matters from ship registration to structuring. The team has seen an increase in cases involving the use of securities against cargo and vessels, and matters arising from the insolvency of shipping and oil trading businesses.
‘All Staff in Skrine, especially Mr Siva Kumar Kanagasabai, always aim to maximise their performance levels and strive consistently to improve their clients’ satisfaction. They go above and beyond the call of the duty to produce stellar quality in their work.’
Icon Ship Management Sdn Bhd
Incisive Law LLC (Singapore)
Watson Farley & Williams (London)
Penguin International Limited
- Representing ICON Ship Management in an approximately RM13m claim arising out of a shipbuilding dispute initiated by Labuan Shipyard & Engineering Sdn Bhd in the High Court.
T S Oon & Partners
T S Oon & Partners has developed a specialism for China-based enterprises in complex and large-scale shipping and trading disputes, marine joint ventures and corporate restructuring matters. The firm also acts for marine underwriters, shipowners, shipyards, port operators, P&I Clubs, and financial institutions, and also works closely with the Singapore associate office Oon & Bazul LLP. Oon Thian Seng heads the team which also includes Jessica Teng who specialises in shipping disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is a specialised shipping and maritime law firm, with a very experienced partner and competent lawyers.’
‘TS Oon is a very experienced shipping and maritime law practitioner, who is able to provide sound advice.’
COSCO Shipping Heavy Industry (Dalian) Co. Ltd
Dalian Developer Drilling Co. Limited.
Johor Port Berhad
Jiang Xin Shipping Company
Dan-Bunkering (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Macsteel International Far East Limited
Gard HK Ltd
Etiqa General Takaful Berhad
Malaysia Marine and Heavy Engineering Sdn Bhd
- Representing COSCO Shipping Heavy Industry (Dalian) Co. Ltd and Dalian Developer Drilling Co. Limited. in a dispute against Osta Fleet Sdn Bhd pertaining to the de-registration of the vessel following the termination of the joint venture.
- Acted for MMC Corporation Berhad and Johor Port Berhad on the recovery of claim against the owners of the vessel “APL Denver” for the oil spill clean up costs.
- Acting for jiang Xin Shipping Company in commencing an indemnity action against FGV Trading Sdn Bhd.
Led by Philip Teoh, Azmi & Associates' shipping team is regularly instructed on contentious and non-contentious matters across admiralty, insurance and reinsurance, transport, and logistics sectors. Teoh also acts as an arbitrator in major shipping disputes.
‘Mr Teoh is an experienced practitioner.’
‘Philip Teoh and his team are extremely effective lawyers, responsive, pro-active and technically superior.’
‘Philip Teoh is an exceptional admiralty and shipping lawyer. To me, he is the leading authority in this area and a highly likeable personality as well.’
- Handling Claims in Malaysia relating to fallout of the collapse of the Singapore Oil Trading Company Hin Leong.
Rahayu Partnership excels in wet and dry shipping, admiralty proceedings including arrest and release of vessels, crisis management, and transactional work. The firm counts ship owners and charterers, P&I Clubs, banks, international agencies, shipyards, marine insurance underwriters, governments and brokers as its main clients. Practice head Rahayu Binti Abd Ghani recently acted in disputes and arbitration proceedings concerning shipbuilding and pursued claims regarding breaches of charterparty terms.
Rahmat Lim & Partners advises on the sale, registration and de-registration of vessels, and the preparation and registration of ship mortgages. It also handles contentious matters including domestic and international maritime litigation, the enforcement and repossession of vessels, and arbitration relating to insurance and casualties, which the shipping team is able to draw from across the firm’s financial services, litigation, and projects and international arbitration departments.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is very responsive to queries and comprehensive and practical in its advice.’
‘Soh Yin Chuin has a sound knowledge of maritime and shipping law; he gives advice that is relevant and practical; and his familiarity with practicalities arising from interaction between different legal jurisdictions for cross-border or international transactions.’
- Acted as Malaysian counsel to a syndicate of lenders in relation to the accession of Seadrill Offshore Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. and Seadrill Labuan Ltd. to a US$950m senior secured credit facilities agreement with Seadrill Rig Holding Company Limited as the borrower.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited as facility and security agent, on the refinancing of a US$575m revolving credit facility granted to a wholly-owned subsidiary of AET Tanker Holdings Sdn. Bhd.
- Advised a consortium of lenders (Credit Suisse AG, Singapore Branch, Taichung Commercial Bank Co., Ltd., Labuan Branch, Taishin International Bank Co. Ltd., Taipei Fubon Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. Singapore Branch and Banco do Brasil S.A., Singapore Branch) on their US$200m facilities to Yinson International Pte. Ltd. for the purposes of financing, among other things, the deployment of floating production storage and offloading systems in Brazil, Ghana and Nigeria.