Shipping in Malaysia
Christopher & Lee Ong acts on a range of issues including marine casualty management, investigations of regulatory issues and marine pollution liability for ship owners, charterers, cargo owners and insurers. Jainil Bhandari leads the team and is present on shipping disputes alongside Clive Selvapandian, an expert on dispute resolution, who is active on litigation and arbitration, including insurance claims and dry shipping and maritime disputes. The firm also advises on oil shipment and trading matters.
Other key lawyers:
Marine & General Berhad
Rajah and Tann Singapore LLP
WK Webster (International) Pte Ltd
Emas Victoria (L) Berhad
- Acted for Emas Victoria (L) Berhad, the second Defendant shipowners, whose vessel was arrested by the Plaintiff. The dispute involves issues relating to the court’s jurisdiction.
Joseph & Partners
Joseph & Partners advises clients on transactional and contentious shipping matters. The firm is active locally and internationally on the registration and licensing of ships, inspection of ships’ safety and flag state, and regulatory shipping issues. Jeremy M Joseph is leading the team and handles marine claims.
Sativale Mathew Arun
Sativale Mathew Arun is present on a range of shipping work, both contentious and non-contentious matters. This includes ship registrations, offshore marine issues and marine arbitration. Managing partner Raj Sativale heads up the team and is a specialist on all aspects of shipping law.
Shearn Delamore & Co acts for freight forwarders, logistics companies, ship owners, offshore and marine companies. The firm advises on the full range of shipping matters with expertise and experience in transactional and contentious issues. Rajasingam Gothandapani is leading the team and has assisted clients on salvage and collision claims, regulatory issues and shipbuilding. His clients include banks, shipyards and shipowners.
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited of Singapore
Shook Lin & Bok LLP, Singapore
Bintulu Port Holdings Berhad
Samalaju Industrial Port Sdn. Bhd.
Legal Solutions LLC
Johor Port Berhad
Skrine's practice offers contentious and non-contentious shipping expertise. The group is headed up by Siva Kumar Kanagasabai and Fariz Abdul Aziz. On the contentious side Kanagasabai advises clients in the local and international sphere, on ship arrests, charterparty disputes and oil pollution claims. On the non-contentious side Aziz handles ship registrations, ship sales and other advisory aspects dealing with shipping and maritime law.
Cosco Shipping Lines (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Credit Suisse AG. Instructing solicitors: Watson Farley & Williams (London)
Icon Ship Management Sdn Bhd
Penguin International Limited
- Acting for Icon Ship Management Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Icon Offshore Berhad, in a claim arising out of a shipbuilding dispute filed by Labuan Shipyard Engineering for damages in the sum of RM13,940,558.85, plus interests and costs.
- Represented Credit Suisse AG in respect of their enforcement of a ship mortgage against a vessel “Pomer” for sums outstanding of US$24,437,313.34 (excluding interests and costs) under a loan agreement, secured by the ship mortgage.
- Acted for Penguin International Limited in respect of its purchase (via its subsidiary Pelican Offshore Malaysia Corporation) of 2 Malaysian flagged offshore support vessels from Alkahfi Lestari Oil & Gas Sdn Bhd, in a deal worth approximately SGD 7 million.
T S Oon & Partners
T S Oon & Partners has expertise across shipbuilding, dry and wet shipping, marine insurance and admiralty disputes. Managing partner Oon Thian Seng heads up the team and is noted for his experience in marine insurance matters as well as maritime and shipping law expertise. Jessica Teng is a key partner in the practice and also provides a specialism in shipping disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Rahayu Partnership is noted for wet and dry shipping, admiralty proceedings, crisis management and transactional work. Rahayu binti Abd Ghani is head of the practice and represents her clients in shipping, admiralty and insurance cases. She has defended arbitration claims in shipbuilding disputes and pursued claims over breaches of charterparty terms. The firm has also acted in debt recovery actions in the High Court of Kuala Lumpur.
- Assisted the client, who was the initial salvor for MV Amanda which sank on 26.12.2018, to claim for the salvage services provided to MV Amanda. Applied to the Admiralty Court to arrest the wreck underwater and divers were appointed by the Admiralty Court to serve the arrest warrant on MV Amanda.
- Acting on behalf of the shipowner in a ship collision matter.
Shaikh David & Co
Shaikh David & Co 'is unique in that it acts for a wide spectrum of shipping clients.' These include marine insurers, shipyards and offshore energy companies. The team is being led by the 'razor-sharp' James P. David who acts on shipping and international trade matters, representing liability insurers as well as port authorities. His work includes disputes such as collisions and casualties and insurance matters for shipowners.
‘SDC’s shipping practice is unique in that it acts for a wide spectrum of shipping clients from P&I Clubs, shipyards, offshore energy companies to marine insurers. They have the necessary bench strength to handle the most complex shipping disputes as well as run of the mill bread and butter shipping work.’
‘James David is the lead partner and is certainly one of the best shipping lawyers I have worked with in Malaysia. He balances acute business acumen and razor-sharp legal knowledge when providing advice and recommendation to clients.’
FGV Holdings Berhad
Tokio Marine Insurans (Malaysia) Berhad
Chubb Insurance Malaysia Berhad
QBE Insurance (M) Berhad
MSIG Insurance (Malaysia) Bhd
Deloitte Corporate Solutions
Shipowners P&I Club
Cockett Marine Oil
Marsh / JLT Insurance Brokers
Gard P&I Club
Spica Services (M)
State Insurance Brokers
Sea Asia Claim Services
Port of Tanjung Pelepas
Lockton Insurance Brokers
Pacific & Orient Insurance
Berkley Insurance Asia
Louis Dreyfus Commodities Asia
Eureko Sigorta Insurance
China Taiping Insurance
- Representing FGV Holdings Berhad in a claim against receivers and owners of vessels Arbitrations in Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong. Orchestrated the claims against 3 separate parties in several jurisdictions including the US, Panama, Macau and China in respect of supporting actions.
- Advising FGV Holdings Berhad in relation to petition by Grant & Eisenhofer ESG Institute to blacklist clients under the US Tariff Acts at all US ports and points of entry.
Tommy Thomas acts on ship arrests, ship collisions and charterparty litigation. Clients include maritime agencies and government ministries. Sitpah Selvaratnam is leading the team. She is highly experienced in cargo disputes and marine insurance issues, with over twenty years of experience.
Azmi & Associates has long-standing experience in all facets of contentious and non-contentious shipping and maritime matters including marine insurance. It assists its clients are areas such as ship arrests, collisions, cargo and P&I claims and arbitrations. Practice head Philip Teoh has some decades of experience in shipping, logistics and international trade matters.
Rahmat Lim & Partners' shipping practice undertakes work on sale, registration and de-registration of vessels. On the contentious side, litigators deal with the repossession of vessels and arbitration relating to casualties. Daphne Koo is a specialist on admiralty and maritime law while Chong Boon Leong appears in the Singaporean and Malaysian courts on international arbitration matters. Soh Yin Chuin focuses on maritime matters, advising lenders and trusts.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised a syndicate of lenders as Malaysian counsel in relation to the accession of Seadrill Offshore Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. and Seadrill Labuan Ltd. to a US$950,000,000 senior secured credit facilities agreement with Seadrill Rig Holding Company Limited as borrower, and the provision of security including, among other things, account charges and assignment of earnings relating to the charter of an ultra deepwater drilling unit by these Malaysian subsidiaries.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank (Singapore) Limited, BNP Paribas, DBS Bank Ltd., ING Bank, a Branch of ING-DiBa AG, Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited, SG Asset Finance (Hong Kong) Limited and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, Labuan Branch on refinancing of a US$575 million revolving credit facility granted to a wholly-owned subsidiary of AET Tanker Holdings Sdn. Bhd Advised as Malaysian counsel to Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited as facility and security agent on behalf of a syndicate of banks in relation to the refinancing of a US$575 million revolving credit facility granted to a wholly-owned subsidiary of AET Tanker Holdings Sdn. Bhd. for the financing of AET’s newbuild tankers and vessel acquisition programme.
- Advising Credit Suisse AG, Singapore Branch, Taichung Commercial Bank Co., Ltd., Labuan Branch, Taishin International Bank Co. Ltd., Taipei Fubon Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. Singapore Branch and Banco do Brasil S.A., Singapore Branch on facilities of up to an aggregate amount of US$200 million to Yinson International Pte. Ltd. for the purposes of financing, among other things, the deployment of Floating Production Storage and Offloading systems in Brazil, Ghana and Nigeria.