Shipping in Malaysia
The shipping and international trade Christopher & Lee Ong combines wet and dry expertise, as well as experience in ship registration and ship financing. Backed by the Rajah & Tann Asia network, the group has experience acting on disputes throughout the region, with practice head Jainil Bhandari, who is qualified to practice in both Malaysia and Singapore, handling a range of shipping-related disputes. Other names to note include Clive Selvapandian for litigation, and transactional partner Por Chuei Ying, who is highlighted particularly for corporate finance and capital markets transactions. Ong Chee Kwan was appointed as the Judicial Commissioner of the High Court of Malaysia.
‘They offer great advice on complicated matters.‘
‘Clive Selvapandian delivered a timely, professional and personal service to our valued client.‘
‘Singapore presence and Singapore style service levels are helpful and unusual for Malaysian firms.’
‘The team as a whole are very professional and reliable advisers. In addition to this, they are also extremely good in explaining the core issues to Board members/management with little or no legal background.‘
‘Christopher & Lee Ong’s accessibility is also one particular strength that needs to be mentioned.‘
Marine & General Berhad
Rajah and Tann Singapore LLP
WK Webster (International) Pte Ltd
Joseph & Partners
Shipping and maritime boutique Joseph & Partners has the expertise to handle a full range of contentious and non-contentious matters and is frequently instructed in shipping, maritime offshore and insurance matters, as well as arbitration. Jeremy M Joseph has a breadth of experience and counts shipowners and P&I clubs, insurers, banks and charterers among his clients. Melanie Joseph is a key name for transactional instructions, while Vinodhini Samuel advises on both corporate issues and in disputes.
Jeremy M Joseph
Sativale Mathew Arun
Maritime boutique Sativale Mathew Arun handles a range of contentious and non-contentious shipping matters. Its client roster includes ship owners, P&I clubs, insurers and ports, which the team advises on a range of issues from ship arrests, transactions and national cabotage policy to maritime pollution, ship registration and enforcement of foreign judgments. The three-partner team includes managing partner Raj Sativale, who has particular arbitration experience, Mathew Kurien and litigator Arun Krishnalingam.
The shipping and maritime practice at Shearn Delamore & Co handles a range contentious and non-contentious matters for its client roster which includes banks, charterers, P&I clubs, ship owners and offshore and marine companies. Rajasingam Gothandapani is instructed across both wet and dry shipping matters, including arrest and release of vessels and cargo, ship sales and acquisitions, marine insurance and financing.
Port of Tanjung Pelepas Sdn Bhd
Grand Ocean Williams Pte Ltd
Bintulu Port Holdings Bhd
Samalaju Industrial Port Sdn Bhd
Pengerang Independent Terminal Sdn Bhd
Pengerang Terminal Sdn Bhd
Dialog Group Bhd
CMA CGM SA (France)
CMA CGM Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Maersk Malaysia Sdn Bhd
New Orient Marine Pte Ltd
- Assisting Grand Ocean Williams with the purchase of of the accommodation barge, SIMGOOD1, including negotiating the memorandum of agreement for the sale and the purchase of the accommodation barge and advising client on the discharge of the mortgage.
- Acted for Cooperative Rabobank in a claim against are MISC Berhad and AET Product Tankers for the mis-delivery of a cargo of palm oil.
- Acting for Port Authority of Port of Tanjung Pelepas in investigations and any resulting proceeding resulting from the death of an employee of a subcontractor killed on port premises in February 2019.
- Advised Holman Fenwick Willan on the proposed acquisition of super-luxury yacht Equanimity including in relation to the legal implication of the judicial sale process.
- Acted for New Orient Marine, which charters ships, barges and boats with a crew, in a dispute relating to a time charter party agreement.
Skrine has a strong shipping and maritime sector practice, with experience across a range of transactional, contractual and contentious matters. The group benefits from being able to leverage its full-service offering in shipping matters; corporate partner Fariz Abdul Aziz has experience in ship registrations and sales, while Tan Shi Wen advises on ship financing. Siva Kumar Kanagasabai heads up the team and focuses on contentious maritime matters.
Siva Kumar Kanagasabai
HESS Exploration and Production Malaysia
Watson Farley & Williams (London)
- Advised HESS Exploration and Production Malaysia on its sale and bareboat charter-back arrangement with MISC Berhad in respect of the floating, storage and offloading facility (FSO) known as FSO Mekar Bergading.
- Successfully assisted Portigon AG with the arrest of the vessel Newlead Victoria for unpaid sums under a loan agreement between the vessel’s owners and Portigon.
T S Oon & Partners
T S Oon & Partners, which benefits from being an associate firm of Oon & Bazul LLP, handles both wet and dry shipping work, with particular expertise in contentious matters, such as arrests and maritime claims and charter party and insurance disputes. The group also handles transactional and advisory issues including ship finance and shipbuilding contracts. Practice head Oon Thian Seng and Jessica Teng are names to note for transactional and contentious matters respectively.
Oon Thian Seng
Other key lawyers:
Tommy Thomas acts for shipowners, insurers, charterers, and companies with cargo interests on a range of maritime and international trade matters. Sitpah Selvaratnam, who focuses on disputes, is the name to note.
The admiralty and shipping practice at Azmi & Associates advises clients on a range of issues from ship registration, vessel finance and marine insurance to ship arrest, collisions, cargo claims and other shipping-associated disputes. Practice head Philip Teoh is a name to note for contentious and non-contentious shipping, insurance and international trade matters.
Shipping and admiralty specialists, Rahayu Partnership handle wet and dry shipping, admiralty proceedings including arrest and release of vessels and transactional work. With experience advising ship owners, charterers P&I clubs, insurers and oil and gas sector clients, key clients include Triton Container International, Haoyuan Shipping and Alam Maritim. Practice head Rahayu Abd Ghani is particularly active in contentious wet shipping work.
Rahayu Abd Ghani
Alam Maritim (M) Sdn Bhd
Harbor Star Shipping & Services, Inc
Haoyuan Shipping (Hong Kong) Co. Ltd
Johor Shipcare Sdn Bhd
Negoship Line Ltd
Contract Fountain Sdn Bhd
Triton Container International Ltd
Pt Global Marine Shipping
Executive Offshore Shipping
Hong Lam Marine
The Swedish Club Hong Kong Ltd
Lianyungang Dali Underwater Engineering Co. Ltd
New World P&I Service Co. Ltd
- Represented the insurer for the shipper in an action in rem against the carrier/owner of the vessel CSC Rui Hai.
- Acted for the international lubricant supplier company in an action in rem against the owner of the vessel SHABGOUN for the non-payment of bunker supplied by arresting the vessel.
- Assisting the operator for the vessel MT Flourish in a claim for damage caused by an oil spill discharged from the tanker MT Trident Star at Port of Tanjung Pelepas.
Shaikh David & Co
Shaikh David & Co, an associate firm of Clyde & Co LLP, has experience across a range of contentious and non-contentious shipping matters and counts insurers, ports, offshore operators, contractors, and freight forwarders among its clients. Managing partner James P David advises on a range of shipping, international trade and insurance issues and boasts arbitration expertise, while Cahaya Narimas Faad handles wet and dry shipping disputes.
James P David
The maritime practice at Rahmat Lim & Partners assists both local and international clients with corporate, commercial and contentious matters. The group works closely with the firm's banking team in restructuring and financing transactions. Soh Yin Chuin and Daphne Koo are key names to note for finance mandates and litigation, respectively.
‘Singapore presence and Singapore-style service levels are helpful and unusual for Malaysian firms.’
‘Soh Yin Chuin is responsive and knowledgeable.‘
- Advised a syndicate of lenders on Malaysian aspects of the global US$9.7bn global debt restructuring of the Seadrill group of companies.
- Assisted Standard Chartered Bank, Singapore Branch with a revolving credit facility granted to a wholly-owned subsidiary of AET Tanker Holdings to finance new build tankers and vessel acquisition programme.
- Advised Malayan Banking Berhad, Maybank Islamic Berhad, RHB Bank Berhad and RHB Bank on MYR1.84bn debt restructuring of Nam Cheong group.
- Acted for United Overseas Bank US$215m loan facility to a leading Singapore liftboat operator listed in the Singapore Exchange secured by mortgages over a fleet of 12 vessels.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for DBS Bank and Malayan Banking Berhad on the debt restructuring of Vallianz Holdings Limited and its subsidiaries.