Education: schools in London
Bates Wells' 'highly responsive, knowledgeable and solution-orientated' education team is led by Caraline Johnson, who has over two decades of experience in the sector. The team's main strengths lie in the restructuring of the state school landscape into academies, the development of multi-academy trusts and contentious matters such as discrimination claims. The firm also offers cross-departmental expertise in areas such as charity law and commercial law to national and international clients. Key names to note include employment lawyer William Garnett, public law specialist Emma Dowden-Teale and Paul Jennings, who is recommended for his expertise in discrimination law.
Other key lawyers:
‘William Garnett provides superb support and service, which is highly practical and solution orientated. He always goes the extra mile to ensure that his customers get the desired outcome.’
Mulberry Schools Trust
Abbots Bromley School
The city of London Corporation and the City of London Academies Trust
Bellevue Place Education Trust
Catch22 Multi-Academy Trust
The Urdang Academy
Core Education Trust, Birmingham (formerly Park View Educational Trust, one of the ‘Trojan Horse’ schools)
Cobham Free School
- Provided advice and assistance to Sky School, an educational organisation, on its successful registration with the Charity Commission for England and Wales.
Browne Jacobson LLP 'epitomises the saying "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" and is simply exceptional' in its delivery of a diverse range of education expertise to its large client base. Led by Nottingham-based Mark Blois, the team is skilled in handling complex merger and restructuring matters, offering tailored and strategic advice to schools and academies, and representing clients in litigation proceedings. Core members of the team include the 'amazing' Julia Green; Nick MacKenzie, who is recommended for corporate and governance matters; Richard Freeth; and Adrian Shardlow.
Other key lawyers:
‘The level of service at Browne Jacobson at every level is impeccable. They are both efficient in their response and professional in their service.’
‘Nick McKenzie is simply brilliant. Nothing is ever too much for him. He is professional yet personable, and ensures the very best outcomes.’
‘All the individuals we work with at Browne Jacobson deserve recognition. However, Julia Green is the linchpin and has been instrumental in developing a positive working relationship.’
‘Lydia Michaelson-Yeates has been fantastic throughout. She is always contactable and always responds in a very timely manner, which is invaluable. Lydia also makes the complex subject matter easy to understand by communicating in a way that is relatable, without wrapping it up in legal jargon.’
Greenwood Academy Trust
Academy Transformation Trust
Community Inclusive Trust
Chorus Education Trust
Dronfield Junior School
The Elliot Foundation Academies Trust
Brooke Weston MAT
Thomas Deacon Educational Trust
Atlantic Centre of Excellence MAT
Lighthouse Schools Partnership
Arthur Terry Learning Partnership
Bright Futures Educational Trust
Challenge Academy Trust
Forward as One
Camborne Science & International MAT
Confederation of School Trusts
Central Learning Partnership Trust
Loxford School Trust Ltd
Outwood Grange Academy Trust
- Advising various education sector clients on academy transfer and rebrokerage projects.
- Providing employment and HR advice to schools, academies and multi-academy trusts.
- Supporting schools, academies and multi-academy trusts with special educational needs legal obligations.
- Providing a comprehensive range of property law advice to schools, academies and multi-academy trusts.
- Representing the Teaching Regulation Agency in relation to conduct and competency cases brought against teachers.
Farrer & Co's 'high-quality and fully engaged' education team continues to be at the forefront of acting for national schools on issues such as safeguarding, child protection, data protection and immigration. The team is led by Jonathan Eley and Sam Macdonald, and has a strong reputation for handling high-value, complex and sensitive work for clients. Recent highlights include several cross-border matters led by David Copping and David Smellie relating to the establishment of overseas institutions. Other core members of the group include contracts lawyer Paul Jones; newly made-up partner Maria Strauss, who has experience advising faith-based schools; and Ben Longworth.
Jonathan Eley; Sam Macdonald
‘The team has a real in-depth experience of all the issues faced by schools with a particularly strong focus on safeguarding. They have a great understanding of independent schools and charity governance.’
‘Farrers provide an exceptional level of responsiveness with advice that is second to none. They have strength and depth across the team, with a clear sense of a sophisticated, nuanced house style.’
‘David Smellie is a very good tactical thinker, has oodles of experience and is very pragmatic, which is very reassuring.’
‘Jonathan Eley is excellent – he’s not afraid to challenge the client.’
Alpha Plus Group
Grey Coat Hospital
Independent Schools’ Bursars Association
- Working closely with the Council of International Schools’ International Taskforce on Child Protection to devise an international protocol for managing allegations of child abuse by educators and other adults.
- Assisting the Department for Education with the drafting of new guidance relating to sexual violence and harassment between children in schools and colleges.
- Advising St Paul’s Girls School on its handling of multiple allegations of historic abuse by former pupils.
- Advised Winchester College on an incident involving a pupil convicted of a petrol bombing on the M3 motorway.
- Continued to advise a number of leading independent schools on overseas collaborations for the launch of new schools with international partners.
Stone King LLP is renowned for its education work and is described as a 'go-to' firm for schools and higher education bodies. The team is skilled in advising state-funded schools on governance matters, high-profile transfers, mergers and establishing separate entities. Graham Burns has particular expertise is recommended for his ability to handle high-value and high-profile M&A in the academy sector, while Stephen Ravenscroft is experienced in advising on education projects and is knowledgeable in the NGO field. The team also provides specialist advice to faith schools, with Lee Coley heading up Church of England schools matters.
Graham Burns; Roger Inman; Tom Morrison; Helen Tucker
United Church Schools Trust
The Collaborative Academies Trust
Oasis Community Learning
Learning in Harmony Multi Academy Trust
Community Schools Trust
Hasmonean High School
Greenshaw Learning Trust (previously Greenshaw High School)
Enfield Learning Trust
NAS Academies Trust
The Baker Dearing Trust
Peterborough Diocesan Board of Education
The Diocese of Worcester Multi Academy Trust
Leicester Diocesan Board of Education
Coventry Diocesan Board of Education
Greenshaw Learning Trust
David Ross Education Trust (DRET)
- Handling the establishment of a seven-school multi-academy trust in Leicestershire, involving both academy conversions and transfers.
- Advising on the establishment of a new seven-school church majority multi-academy trust in Kent.
- Successfully prevented the issue of judicial review proceedings for a large alternative provision multi-academy trust.
- Successfully defended a client against a complex disability discrimination claim relating to the exclusion of a child from a school trip.
- Handled the negotiation of a settlement leading to the withdrawal of a claim relating to the permanent exclusion of a child with obsessive-compulsive disorder.
At VWV, the education practice group has an impressive client roster spanning leading independent schools, academies and colleges. Jointly overseen by Barney Northover and Yvonne Spencer who is recommended for her insight on complex matters such as serious disciplinary cases, the team combines employment and education law expertise to offer a broad service, which includes sector strengths in corporate and commercial, real estate, immigration and litigation matters. Employment lawyer Simon Bevan remains the key name to note. Other team members include Bettina Rigg, Emma-Jane Dalley and Naseem Nabi.
Yvonne Spencer; Barney Northover
Barlow Robbins LLP acts for an impressive roster of clients which includes several high-profile schools. Led by the 'exceptional' Joanna Lada-Walicki, the team combines charity and education law expertise to cover a wide range of education matters, including employment issues, mergers, commercial contracts and governance. Ben Collingwood has a focus on safeguarding and pastoral care issues.
Other key lawyers:
Ben Collingwood; Gordon Reid
‘Ben Collingwood is outstanding in his measured advice, wise counsel and ability to analyse situations with great clarity and perception at great speed.‘
‘Barlow Robbins’ education and charities department is exceptional due to key partners such as Joanna Lada Walicki, who is exceptional and outstanding in her advice, experience, professionalism, and value for money.’
‘Joanna Lada-Walicki is an expert in employment law and has worked for a long time in this sector. She understands the sector very well from all angles and gives excellent advice.’
‘Joanna Lada-Walicki is very diligent, very supportive and provides much-valued help and advice.’
‘Gordon Reid is very helpful and provided very tailored advice when needed.’
West Buckland School
Boarding Schools’ Association
Independent Schools Examinations Board
Lewes Old Grammar School
Prior’s Field School
- Advised a leading independent day and boarding school for pupils on complex staff disciplinary and pastoral/safeguarding issues, involving parent complaints and an emergency inspection.
- Advised a co-educational preparatory school in London in connection with allegations of bullying from the parent of a former pupil, including threatened litigation.
- Advised a leading co-educational senior boarding and day school regarding concerns about the head of nursing following convictions for drug-driving, disclosure of alcohol dependency, and incapacity due to drug/alcohol at work.
- Audited a large co-educational boarding and day school’s historic records of allegations of sexual abuse and conducted a safeguarding audit.
- Advised a girls’ boarding and day school in relation to allegations of malpractice in GCSE coursework assessments.
The education practice at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has considerable experience in the academies sector and is renowned for acting as a 'one-stop-shop' for all of the legal needs of schools. Jointly overseen by Ben Wood and Diane Gilhooley, the team has sector strengths in commercial property (where Charlotte Tanikal is particularly active), corporate law and regulatory matters, enabling it to handle complex restructurings, mergers and conversions. The team also handles judicial review proceedings and the management of social media issues such as defamation. Other team members include Glynne Stanfield, who leads the international education practice area; employment lawyer Nicola Bennison, who leads the national student team; and Helen Cairns. The corporate education practice has been strengthened with the appointment of Jon Baskerville to the partnership.
Diane Gilhooley; Ben Wood
‘Helen Cairns is an outstanding legal professional. Her support and advice is always incredibly measured. Helen’s calm demeanor immediately enables one to relax providing assurance as nothing is too much trouble’.
‘High level of expertise gained through substantial experience working in the field of education’.
‘A personal approach is gained through developing relationships which are supported by regular update/keep in touch meetings’.
‘Not a group of personnel who are office-bound as they are keen to visit schools conducting face to face meetings resulting in positive, effective communication’.
L.E.A.D. Multi Academy Trust
Twyford Church of England Academy Trust
Nova Education Trust
ACS International Schools
Beacon Multi Academy Trust
Compass Learning Partnership
Batley Multi Academy Trust
The Education Alliance
The Delta Education Trust
The Bentley Wood Trust
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
Harrison Clark Rickerbys represents a range of schools in high-value matters pertaining to development projects and construction, as well as non-compliance and regulatory issues. Practice head Kristine Scott is known for her expertise in sensitive matters such as dismissals, pupil exclusions and parental complaints. Other team members include Emilie Darwin, who provides employment expertise, and head of academies Emma Swann, who is recommended for restructuring and conversations.
‘The team has a vast knowledge of the sector, experience and pragmatism. There are very experienced partners and very able junior staff.’
The Pointer School
The Independent Schools Bursars’ Association
The Independent Schools Council
Association of Governing Bodies for Independent Schools
Boarding Schools Association
Cheltenham Ladies College
Dean Close Foundation
- Providing specialist procurement and construction advice to Gloucestershire College for a new £18m further education campus in the Forest of Dean.
- Advising the University of Gloucestershire on a wide range of issues associated with its £35m multi-phase university campus redevelopment project.
- Representing the Independent Schools Bursars’ Assocation, the organisation which supports and advises the bursars and senior management staff of 1,000-plus independent schools across the UK and overseas.
- Represented The Pointer School, a leading mixed independent school for children aged up to 11.
Penny Chapman oversees the education and charities team at BDB Pitmans, which provides 'consistently good advice' to its national clients on all areas of education law, combined with its charity law expertise. The team has handled mergers and restructurings, regulatory work and real estate matters over the past 12 months and has seen a strengthening of its client base, with several independent schools joining the roster. The practice takes a cross-departmental, with real estate group head Jonathan Fewster advising schools on property matters. Senior associates Alice Unwin and Harriet Ainsworth are also key members of the team.
Association of Governing Bodies of Independent Schools (AGBIS)
Grange Park School
Plymouth College (formally known as Plymouth College and Dunstan’s Abbey Schools Charity)
The Mount School (York)
Cripplegate Schools Foundation –Lady Eleanor Holles
Queen’s College London
Connaught House School (prep)
Merchant Taylors School
- Providing ongoing, comprehensive advice on charity governance, commercial, corporate, employment and property matters to Grange Park School over the past year.
- Acting for Plymouth College, and its two subsidiary charitable trusts, in relation to a loan facility being obtained by the client and the related security that each of the three charities are being asked to provide.
- Undertaking a detailed constitutional review for longstanding client Eltham School, as well as advising on the composition of the board and the requirements of the Companies Act 2006.
- Advising the Association of Governing Bodies of Independent Schools (AGBIS) on a detailed model school governance manual that is now available on the client’s website for its member schools to download for free usage and adapt for their particular schools.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP's education team is led by Lynn Povey and is known for its advice to private schools on matters such as mergers, restructurings, data protection and sensitive staff issues. The practice also draws on the expertise of the firm's private wealth team to advise education clients on establishing charitable trusts. Mike Scott has specialist expertise in the area of educational institutions and charities, while newly made-up partner and deputy head of charities Sarah Rowley has advised on a variety of projects for educational institutions.
City & Guilds
Michelmores LLP is adept at handling a variety of education matters and is known for its advice to state-funded schools, colleges and local authorities. The team led by Antony Power handles complex and often high-value matters relating to re-brokerage and establishing new institutions. Charlotte Antoniou is particularly experienced in advising on governance structures, while Russell Holland, who splits his time between Bristol and London, is recommended for his employment law expertise.
Antony Power; Charlotte Antoniou
Other key lawyers:
Russell Holland; Carol McCormack; James Baker; Tom Briant-Evans; Sally Rice
‘Michelmores offer a personalised and prompt service and all of their lawyers are extremely knowledgeable about their field of expertise. The speed of action is the best facet of this firm.’
‘Michelmores is a firm which takes time to listen to client needs, prefers face-to-face meeting and is responsive to requests. The advice is clear and well communicated.’
‘The education team at Michelmores always go above and beyond and have a rapid response time. They instill so much confidence and one feels well supported. They really do know their stuff.’
‘Antony Power, Russell Holland, Charlotte Antoniou and Tom Briant are the standout colleagues.’
‘Michelmores always have the client at the heart of their service.’
‘The administrative efficiency of all the team is fantastic.’
Aspirations Academies Trust
Astrum Multi Academy Trust
One Day Trust
Wandle Learning Trust
Bellevue Place Education Trust
The Sigma Trust
South Devon College
Link Academy Trust
- Advised Bourton Meadow Academy Trust on the re-brokerage of two private finance initiative-funded schools into the trust.
- Advising Astrum Multi-Academy Trust on the opening of a brand new Early Years and Key Stage 1 Special School.
- Advising One Day Trust on converting into a multi-academy trust to enable it to take on the unique London Screen Academy.
- Advising Aspirations Academy Trust on a complex school transfer in Poole, Dorset.
- Advising Discovery Schools Academies Trust on the transfer of a nursery provision previously run by a private provider.
Sharpe Pritchard LLP is known for its breadth of work for public sector clients on infrastructure and project-related education matters. Jointly overseen by Annie Moy, who specialises in the public sector construction market, and contracts lawyer Paul O’Sullivan, the group is skilled in advising on construction, capital projects, commercial property and governance matters. Other core members of the team include Catherine Newman, who works extensively for local government, and senior associate Rachel Murray-Smith, who advises on procurement law.
Annie Moy; Paul O’Sullivan
London Borough of Newham
Milton Keynes Council
Education and Skills Funding Agency
London Borough of Southwark
- Advising a council on several education-related schemes, including the development of new school premises and facilities and academy conversions.
- Advising the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) on the closure of a multimillion-pound procurement for adult education budget training providers and on the procurement of apprenticeship training providers for employers who do not pay the government’s apprenticeship levy.
- Advised the London Borough of Southwark on the construction of two new schools in circumstances where the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is the freehold proprietor of the land on which the schools are to be built using funding from the ESFA.
- Advised on the PFI academy conversion of the Cumberland School.
Winckworth Sherwood LLP has experience advising the full spectrum of education clients, including schools, colleges, multi-academy trusts and universities. Andrea Squires leads the team and has a specialty in strategic projects. The wider group includes employment lawyer James Lynas; Anna Shadbolt, who is recommended for corporate structures and commercial transfer agreement matters; and Owen Carew-Jones, who acts for trusts and schools. Theresa Kerr heads up the school support service team.
London Borough of Haringey
Newham Community Schools Trust
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's national education team is overseen by Newcastle-based Kevin Robertson and has vast expertise in conversions, transfers, complex mergers and governance matters. Head of charity law Emma Moody is 'excellent' in handling restructuring matters and undertaking advisory work for public sector clients, and Iain Greenshields has significant experience in procurement projects. The group is noted for advising high-profile national clients on major mergers. Other members of the team include charity law specialist Samantha Pritchard and Esther Masisi, who advises public sector clients.
Iain Greenshields; Kevin Robertson; Emma Moody
Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA)
Department for Education (DfE)
St Margaret Clitherow Catholic Academy Trust
St Oswald’s Catholic Academy Trust
Trent Academies Group
Zaytouna Education Trust
North View Academy
Whitworth Park School
Tees Valley Education Multi Academy Trust
St Lawrence Education Trust
Carmel Education Trust, Darlington
Waterton Academy Trust, Wakefield
Newcastle City Council
Castle Trust, Medway
Tauheedal Schools and Academies Trust
Newcastle upon Tyne Royal Grammar School
Illuminare Multi Academy Trust
Vision Academy Learning Trust
Liverpool City Council
The Constellation Trust
Northumberland County Council
St Helen’s Council
Nicholas Postgate Academy Trust
St Hilda’s Catholic Academy Trust
Our Lady of Light Catholic Academy Trust
Skills for Life Trust, Kent
FocusEducation (Lincolnshire) Limited
Sewell Education York Limited
Romero Catholic Academy Trust
Trinity Multi Academy Trust
Horizons Specialist Academy Trust
Extol Academy Trust
- Continuing to advise the ESFA and Department for Education on the flagship Free Schools programme, which includes university technical colleges and studio schools.
- Advising 21 Catholic schools across York, North Yorkshire and East Riding on the incorporation of a new multi-academy trust, targeting the simultaneous conversion of all 21 schools.
- Advising multiple governing bodies on their conversion to academy status.
- Advised three Catholic multi-academy trusts on the transfer of their 20 academies to the Nicholas Postgate Catholic Academy Trust. The merger brought together 25 academies in total, bringing 9,100 pupils into one of the largest multi-academy trusts in the country, which was a significant milestone for the Middlesbrough Diocese.
- Advised Liverpool City Council on the commercial and property aspects of the conversion of a number of its maintained schools to academy status. This included drafting and negotiating the agreements for transferring all assets required to operate the school from the council to the incoming trust, as well as the 125-year lease of the school site from the council to the trust.
Blake Morgan LLP has a wide education law offering and is skilled at handling high-value transactional work and litigation for schools and academies. Led by Cardiff-based Matthew Smith, the practice group, which spans across six offices, is known for its academy conversions and special education needs (SEN) expertise. The team includes employment specialist Tim Forer; Sarah Peacock, who provides advice on contentious and non-contentious employment-related matters; and managing partner Mike Wilson, who acts for schools, colleges and other higher education institutions. Penny Rinta-Suksi is also a key name to note for her considerable commercial experience.
Magdalen College School
King Edward VI School
St Swithun’s School, Winchester
Capital City Academy Trust
University of Chichester Multi-Academy Trust
The Portsmouth Grammar School
St Marylebone Church of England Academy
Portsmouth Catholic Diocesan Trust
The Cherwell Academy
Winchester Diocesan Board of Finance
Solent Academies Trust
The Gregg School
- Advising an academy trust company, having been instructed following a successful proposal in mid-2017.
- Providing governance, employment and education advice to a charitable organisation which operates independent schools in Hampshire.
- Acted as legal adviser to professional conduct panels of the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) in relation to disciplinary proceedings against teachers that have been referred to the TRA in furtherance of its statutory functions.
- Acted as legal adviser to fitness to practise committees, investigation committees and suitability committees of the Education Workforce Council (EWC) in relation to proceedings against registered educational practitioners in Wales referred to the EWC in furtherance of its statutory functions.
- Provided schools within a diocese with advice on all aspects of employment law.
Doyle Clayton's education team 'combines pragmatism and a commercially focused approach' and is led by the 'excellent' Simon Henthorn. The team handles high-value and often high-profile education matters pertaining to contentious employment issues, dismissal cases, child protection and safeguarding. Senior associate Elizabeth Timmins specialises in both employment and immigration advice for education clients. Anna Blackden is also a key contact.
‘Simon Henthorn is extremely friendly, capable and supportive. He always gives of his time, even at unsociable hours, and responds extremely quickly (often within minutes) to requests for advice. He is entirely unpatronising and very good at seeing things from a different perspective.’
‘Simon gives clear and concise advice; communicates effectively and regularly; and fully understands the complexities of the education sector.’
Eton End School
Christ The King 6th Form College
Creative Education Trust
Ealing Fields Academy Trust
Kings School Ely
Kennington Primary School
Portsmouth Grammar School
- Providing safeguarding and regulation advice to a large independent school concerning allegations against the interim head.
- Providing pension advice to an independent school – an issue faced by many independent schools this year.
- Defending a school against criminal allegations.
- Providing safeguarding advice to a well-known independent school.
- Providing post-merger advice to the largest education union in the country.
Mills & Reeve LLP's national education practice is led by sector specialist Gary Attle and handles a substantial range of matters. The core team - which also includes head of academies Stuart Pemble, Christian Bull, Jonathan Greenwood and employment lawyer Nick Abbott - has advised on high-value and cross-border issues such as development projects, complex discrimination cases and establishing overseas institutions.
Stuart Pemble; Gary Attle
‘Mills and Reeves is a very good firm in this sector and Gary Attle is the key name to note in the team.’
North Eastern Universities Purchasing Consortium
University of Brighton Academies Trust
Academies Enterprise Trust
Birmingham City University Multi Academies Trust
University of Wolverhampton Multi Academy Trust
The Diocese of Ely Multi Academy Trust
- Advising a school on a term loan facility for a leading bank. The loan was to support the school in its acquisition of another independent education provider and to refinance existing debt.
- Advising a significant schools group on the English law aspects of the opening of a new school in the UAE in collaboration with a leading independent school. The advice focuses on the corporate and commercial aspects of the transaction, including putting in place the wider umbrella framework for potential future expansion.
- Advised a trust on all aspects (including corporate, commercial, employment and regulatory) relating to the transfer (rebrokerage) of one of its schools.
- Advising a trust on a series of conversions of maintained schools into the academy group, including assisting with funding structuring, governance and employment law issues, and the commercial transfer itself.
- Advised a trust on all aspects (including corporate, commercial, employment and regulatory) relating to the transfer (rebrokerage) of an academy.
Bevan Brittan LLP is experienced in handling large construction and development projects for its education sector clients. Led by head of commercial and infrastructure Andrew Tobin, the team undertakes advisory work for schools, academies, colleges and universities. Bristol-based David Hutton has experience in academy conversions and development projects.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Abell leads the international education team at Bird & Bird LLP, which has vast experience of advising British schools and universities on their expansion into foreign markets such as the Middle East. The group provides a comprehensive service to education sector clients, covering corporate, commercial, real estate and employment matters.
Other key lawyers:
Nick Green; James Fowler; Nikesh Mistry
Reigate Grammar School
North London Collegiate
The Perse School
Royal Grammar School, Guildford
St John’s College School, Cambridge
- Advising Westminster School on a deal which will lead to six schools being established in China.
- Advising Sedbergh School on its deal to build and operate a school in Guangdong.
- Advising Haileybury on its agreement to bid for funding from the EU to open and operate a school in Malta.
- Advising London-based early years education company Maggie & Rose on a deal which will establish a family lifestyle business under the Maggie & Rose brand in China, Macau and Taiwan.
- Advising Vinehall School on its agreement to set up and operate specialist overseas immersion courses in the UK for Chinese pupils.
Elliot Pound is a key name to note in BLM's education team, along with Richard Wilkins. The team has experience handling issues relating to school admissions and exclusions and has sector strengths in insurance and the public sector. Other lawyers in the team include Martin Jensen; Manchester-based Jim Lister, who advises schools on governance issues; Geneviève Rich; and Michael Pether.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP's education team combines cross-departmental expertise in immigration, employment, commercial property and governance to advise clients on a wide spectrum of matters, including safeguarding and child protection as well as discrimination issues. Jointly led by Gemma Woodhouse, Hilary Aldred and Daff Richardson, the team has experience in assisting high-profile clients with historic abuse issues and defending against claims arising from this. Other key team members include immigration specialists Pat Saini and Hazar El-Chamaa.
Gemma Woodhouse; Hilary Aldred; Daff Richardson
Other key lawyers:
Katie Glendinning; Pat Saini; Hazar El-Chamma
Crosfields School Trust
Godstowe Preparatory School
Beaconsfield Educational Trust (Davenies School)
Shrewsbury House School
The Licensed Trade Charity
Haberdashers’ Aske’s Elstree Schools Ltd
Wellington College Academy Trust
Association for the Education and Guardianship of International Students
- Representing a multi-site school client in respect of safeguarding issues and closure of boarding.
- Advising a leading senior boys’ school on changes to staff pay scales.
- Advising a multi-academy trust in respect of inappropriate comments made by a teacher to students, including liaising with external authorities.
- Advising on the constitution of a leading member association.
- Advising an education sector client on potential criminal allegations and safeguarding issues.
Withers LLP has a vast international education practice, with work concentrated strongly in the Asian and American markets, and advises clients on the full spectrum of matters, including establishing international schools, mergers and complex restructurings. Overseen by Chris Priestley, the practice group also draws on the firm's non-profit and employment expertise. Alana Petraske, who focuses on UK-US education issues, has moved to the New York office to expand the team there. Alison Paines remains a key contact and is recommended for her experience in advising charities and other non-profit bodies.
All Saints’ Church, Binfield