Insurance and reinsurance litigation in London
The sizeable and well-respected team at Clyde & Co LLP stands out for its pedigree in handling high-profile cases, offering advice on a wide range of international and domestic matters involving directors and officers liability (D&O), warranty and indemnity, as well as political risk policies, among others. Strong areas of expertise include energy, construction and marine insurance. The practice, which is led out of London by global insurance head James Cooper, features the highly regarded Jane Andrewartha, reinsurance expert Nigel Brook, financial lines and management liability specialist Mandip Sagoo and head of the specialty practice Andrew Grant. Simon Jackson, who was recently promoted to senior equity partner, handles energy and marine insurance disputes, while Neil Beresford leads the global product liability practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Clyde & Co continues to be a market leader in energy, construction and marine classes of insurance litigation‘
‘Customer-focused and forward-thinking – the team not only has great partners but works hard to mentor the youngest members by delegating tasks and responsibilities‘
‘All the partners and associates are very knowledgeable and understanding. They don’t try to sell a product but they tailor it around the specific customers and situation. They all have clarity and transparency and are always willing to go the extra mile to deliver for their clients. Having them on your side makes a stressful situation a much better journey‘
‘The partners and associates are absolutely first rate. They are extremely able, very bright and hard working, and they have an excellent knowledge of the insurance market. In addition, they have a very broad range of expertise. As a result they are one of the leading insurance practices‘
‘Mark Wing is extremely bright, immensely hard-working, very good with clients and commercially highly astute‘
‘Toby Rogers is extremely clever, very commercial, great with clients, very practical and robust, gives very clear advice – a superb lawyer‘
‘Mandip Sagoo is a sensible, practical lawyer‘
‘Mandip Sagoo shows absolutely sound judgement‘
‘Nicholas Bathurst is a very able and immensely pragmatic lawyer. He has a great feel for a case, is down to earth, robust and excellent with clients‘
‘Legal director Monique Banin is very bright, extremely hardworking and fantastic with clients – a pleasure to work with‘
DAC Beachcroft LLP
DAC Beachcroft LLP continues to expand and strengthen its insurance bench, recently welcoming the highly regarded Liam O’Connell from Norton Rose Fulbright as the new head of its global practice. With 'a very broad experience base', the team handles a range of complex and high-value claims covering construction, property, energy, data protection and professional indemnity policies. Wendy Hopkins leads the team in London, which features 'fantastic' property expert Nick Young, energy, construction and engineering specialist Chris Wilkes as well as the professional and financial lines insurance head Patrick Hill and the 'dynamic and insightful' James Deacon, ably supported by associates such as Sarah Hennessy and Lucy Dyson.
‘DAC Beachcroft has a very broad experience base within its team, ensuring that lawyers can advise on most matters. They are on the top of the list for go-to firms to work with‘
‘The individuals within the team understand their clients’ needs. They proactively manage cases, ensuring regular updates are provided. Their ability to engage in plain English allows clear understanding of the issues, thus meaning better decisions are made‘
‘The team is able to deal with complex matters promptly and in a clear concise manner‘
‘The team is client friendly, commercial, intelligent and knowledgeable about current issues. Practitioners are very approachable, always keen to help and have great international connections‘
‘Nick Young is fantastic at managing a large team in complex claims and is a very experienced construction lawyer‘
‘Patrick Hill is very calm under pressure and has good rapport and connections with the market‘
‘Liam O’Connell is a fantastic addition to the team‘
‘James Deacon is dynamic and insightful, focused on providing comprehensive guidance and advice to his clients. He always delivers‘
‘James Deacon is determined, responsive and has a keen eye for detail. He’s always looking for solutions not problems and keeps the client’s best interest always to the fore‘
‘Legal director Stephen Turner is a brilliant legal mind‘
‘Fiona Gill provides very confident advice, is very experienced, and has a lot of compassion and understanding of how individuals may be affected‘
‘James Deacon, associate Eleanor Whittaker and senior associate Denise Eastlake can always be counted on to assist when needed‘
Berkshire Hathaway/Resolute Management Services Ltd
Tokio Marine Kiln
- Instructed by HDI Global and Rydon Maintenance following Grenfell Tower fire.
- Acted for Zurich Insurance and East West Insurance Company on a dispute concerning the design and construction of prime residential properties at Lancaster Gate.
- Advising property and public liability insurer Axa on a claim relating to industrial units destroyed by fire.
With a 'willingness to listen and the ability to provide concise and practical advice', the team at Kennedys handles the full spectrum of insurance matters, spanning a variety of sectors and classes of business, alongside its work for major insurers and reinsurers. As well as construction, the firm has dedicated teams focusing on aviation, marine, energy, property, professional indemnity and financial lines work. Praised for his 'great wisdom', Nick Williams leads the practice, which includes political risk expert and 'excellent communicator' David Chadwick, as well as Latin America, Middle East and energy specialist Nick Thomas, and property lawyer Michael Hogg. Trevor Davies undertakes high-value property, product liability and professional indemnity claims, while Alexandra Rodina focuses on aviation matters.T he team recently secured a major boost with the addition of 12 lawyers from Norton Rose Fulbright in June 2018, including highly regarded marine and energy partners Patrick Foss, Chris Zavos and Jo Ward.
‘What I like most about Kennedys is the willingness to listen and the ability to provide concise and practical advice even in situations which at first appear complex and difficult to grasp‘
‘The team really knows and understands their clients and their clients’ specific needs. A lot of attention is paid to proactive solutions and to client engagement‘
‘This team is capable of covering the full spectrum of insurance work – both marine and non-marine. There is real strength in depth and specialist expertise. They are widely respected in the market because they are a one-stop shop for all aspects of insurance and reinsurance work‘
‘The team knows our business and understands our approach to the market; the lawyers are specialists in insurance law and well-connected‘
‘Nick Williams has great wisdom and excellent client handling‘
‘David Chadwick is an excellent communicator and is technically very sound. His commercial acumen is a real plus‘
‘Michael Hogg is always available, understands how to communicate with us and is able to present complicated legal issues in a businesslike manner. He is not afraid of addressing difficult questions and of voicing concerns he might have‘
‘Trevor Davies is very well known and highly respected across the market both for domestic and international work. He is superb with clients and instills confidence immediately‘
‘Trevor Davies is excellent‘
‘John Bruce has exceptional knowledge and experience, and provides practical advice‘
‘Andrew Westlake is an outstanding lawyer with an impressive ability to retain facts and figures. He goes the extra mile to deliver exceptional service‘
‘Tom Stapleton blends robustness and common sense‘
‘Carole Vernon is experienced, diligent, careful and intelligent‘
‘Mike Wells shows exceptional experience, wisdom, and great legal knowledge‘
Solicitors Indemnity Fund
Aviation Logistics Network
- Instructed by Travelers Insurance and the following market, as project insurers of the Glasgow School of Art, in connection with the devastating fire in June 2018.
- Representing Metrojet and Allianz in relation to all issues emanating from the Metrojet Flight 9268 incident.
- Acted for AXA Insurance in a coverage dispute arising out of multiple incidents of theft of stock from the Ted Baker warehouse by an employee over a period of several years.
- Advising Norwegian insurer Protector Forsikring following the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
- Acting for Willmott Partnership Homes and their insurers following the discovery, close to practical completion, that a care facility in Basingstoke was structurally unsound.
CMS is widely recognised for its expertise in advising insurers, reinsurers and brokers on a wide range of matters including property, construction, energy, aviation, marine, professional negligence and trade finance insurance, as well as D&O coverage. Practice head Ed Foss has a busy caseload in underwriters' liability and coverage work, aided by cyber and construction specialist Stephen Tester and property and reinsurance expert Alex Denslow, while Simon Kilgour focuses on international coverage disputes. Simon Garrett focuses on claims against financial institutions and commercial D&O claims.
AXIS Specialty Europe SE and Navigators Underwriting Agency Ltd
Coöperatie Koninklijke Cosun U.A
MS Amlin Underwriting Limited
- Acting for Coöperatie Koninklijke Cosun, its subsidiary Duynie and insurers in litigation arising from an alleged contamination incident at the UK’s largest pig farm.
- Advising MS Amlin and co-reinsurers on exposures arising from reinsurance in respect of a major motor manufacturer, following damage and destruction of thousands of vehicles in an explosion in Tianjin, China, and in a major snow storm in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Fielding a London-led team for AXIS in an Illinois action by minority unitholders in an ethanol plant, against its former managers, and others, seeking damages in excess of $60m.
- Advising Spire Healthcare in a coverage dispute with insurer RSA relating to the alleged medical negligence and fraud of a consultant surgeon.
With far-reaching international capabilities complementing a strong track record on domestic insurance and reinsurance disputes, DLA Piper has expertise in professional indemnity, cyber insurance and warranty and indemnity claims, as well as in traditional areas such as property and energy insurance disputes. 'Brilliant reinsurance lawyer' Leon Taylor regularly acts for major insurers on property, energy and aviation matters, while Andrew Symons focuses on financial lines, marine and cyber claims. Rebecca Hopkirk undertakes cross-border claims for reinsurers in a wide range of areas.
Leon Taylor; Andrew Symons
Other key lawyers:
‘It was amazing to see the DLA Piper teamwork in action between partners and their associates, across countries/offices and across various specialist legal fields by which they are able to provide a superior legal service‘
‘The bespoke knowledge of certain areas of the international insurance arena and the very localised knowledge is excellent‘
‘Leon Taylor has proven himself to be a brilliant reinsurance lawyer with whom you can break new legal ground. I was impressed by his ability to dive into a highly complex matter and work out a powerful and compelling solution in a very congenial way‘
‘The experience and market presence makes instructing Rebecca Hopkirk a must‘
Placing Platform Limited
Berkshire Hathaway/Faraday syndicate/Resolute Management
Tokio Marine Kiln
Liberty Specialty Markets
Talbot Underwriting Limited
- Successfully represented a pool of reinsurance clients in Commercial Court proceedings against reinsurers in circumstances where all contract wordings had been lost, proving the defendant was liable as to 100%.
- Acted for London Market reinsurers in a property coverage coverage dispute arising out of losses caused by Hurricanes Maria and Irma.
- Acted for London market reinsurers in a dispute between a Venezuelan insured and local insurer.
- Acted for insurers in a Singapore based arbitration arising out of a complex warranty and indemnity insurance coverage dispute.
- Acting for a major global insurer in a high value professional indemnity coverage dispute with a global construction firm, involving complex coverage, fraud and non-disclosure issues.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Property damage and professional negligence are the mainstays of Herbert Smith Freehills LLP's insurance and reinsurance litigation practice. The firm's client roster includes insurers, reinsurers, captive insurers and prominent brokers. Paul Lewis heads the 'knowledgeable' team, which features the 'trustworthy' Alexander Oddy and property damage and business interruption expert Anthony Dempster. Other key members of the group are David Reston, who specialises in professional negligence disputes, and Greig Anderson, who has cyber insurance expertise.
‘The team is knowledgeable, capable of addressing most matters with minimal assistance and excellent judgement, and resources to tackle any problem‘
‘The team brings a forensic and technical eye to matters that few can match; it has significant expertise in bet-the-company litigation. The depth of associate talent is also a strong point‘
‘Paul Lewis knows how to extract the maximum for his client in any commercial settlement‘
‘Alexander Oddy is ferocious in his attention to detail, and reliably calm under pressure‘
‘Alexander Oddy and Fiona Treanor have complete mastery of the law and the facts, excellent client-handling and counsel-handling ability, and entirely trustworthy judgment‘
‘Fiona Treanor is a star. She has unrivaled technical expertise combined with a very approachable manner‘
With specific experience in reinsurance and professional negligence work, HFW covers a wide scope of matters relating to aviation, shipping, commodities and energy insurance. Christopher Cardona, who heads up the team, focuses on financial institutions and professional indemnity work, while Christopher Foster handles a broad range of matters, with the highly regarded Andrew Bandurka specialising in brokers and reinsurers liability claims. Jonathan Bruce and Nigel Wick frequently assist clients with marine and energy insurance and reinsurance matters.
‘The team quickly identifies the crux of the case – they don’t get bogged down in the detail, and are able to talk to their clients on the client’s own level of legal understanding‘
‘HFW is comfortably the strongest, most consistently good aviation insurance defence firm in the London market. The strength and consistency also extends to its overseas offices putting HFW well ahead of the competition‘
‘Christopher Cardona is always calm, receptive and available at a minute’s notice‘
‘Andrew Bandurka is a star lawyer who has an impressive experience of complex insurance coverage claims. He offered us an inventive and smart service and well understood from the start that litigation will be a lose-lose situation for both sides‘
- Representing a major insurer in pursuing long tail legacy claims against various international reinsurers.
- Acting for insurers on major coverage matters including abuse and in relation to the Salisbury poisoning incident.
- Advising an insurer on potential negligence by a broker for failing to increase the insurance period, leading to a shortfall of $15m in collected reinsurances.
- Instructed to provide coverage advice to the underwriters of a personal accident insurance policy for a major national sporting institution in connection with a threatened claim.
- Advising a reinsurance company in respect of an inwards reinsurance claim by a Middle Eastern insurance company relating to a facultative reinsurance of a Middle East construction bond.
Ince, which merged with Gordon Dadds in December 2018, has well-established credentials in cross-border energy, property, political risk and professional indemnity insurance work. The traditionally strong marine team has seen significant changes this year with the departure of Joe O’Keefe to Stephenson Harwood in late 2018, the return of Simon Todd - who had retired - as a consultant in March 2019, and the recent promotion of Carrie Radford and Elle Young to lead the practice. Other key members of the team include global insurance group head Kiran Soar and property and construction insurance specialist Adrian Bingham.
- Acting for Travelers and the BBC in respect of insurance claims connected to a fire at a Sony warehouse in Enfield, North London.
- Representing Hamilton Syndicate in proceedings against its own agent for failing to pay the appropriate amount of stamp duty in Australia.
- Acting for insurer GBE in an inquest relating to the death of a man in India during an attempt to repatriate him to the UK.
The 'exceptional' team at RPC has a great reputation in the financial lines sector, spanning financial indemnity, D&O and professional indemnity claims. Practice head Simon Laird specialises in this sector and divides his time between Bristol and London. 'Excellent technical lawyer' Simon Goldring and James Wickes regularly handle D&O disputes. The team is also increasingly instructed on trade credit and political risk matters, often handled by expert Naomi Vary, as well as on cross-border and domestic property claims under the leadership of Victoria Sherratt. Other areas of growth are power generation and energy, for which the 'outstanding' Leigh Williams and Gary Walkling are the key contacts.
‘The team at RPC is always available to talk about complex matters and give advice. They are happy to talk on a wide variety of issues and to a number of different audiences. They also provide expertise on wordings and relevant legal developments‘
‘Exceptional insurance and reinsurance litigation practice‘
‘RPC has an unparalleled reputation and expertise in insurance and reinsurance litigation. The firm is professional, market-aware and legally knowledgeable. Individuals approach each case with a strategic purpose‘
‘The individuals I have worked with all display the firm ethos of a legally-informed approach to dispute resolution with full knowledge of the workings of the insurance market. They are all team players and are effective and efficient in their approach to litigation‘
‘RPC has the right balance between great technical lawyers and understanding of the client’s need for a pragmatic commercial approach. Lawyers are solutions focused and also a pleasure to work with‘
‘Superior analytical skills and above average knowledge of the law‘
‘Leigh Williams is outstanding – he is not afraid to change tack and direction upon the evolution of evidence. His legal logic and reasoning inspires confidence‘
‘Simon Goldring and Toby Higginson are the very definition of going the extra mile’
‘Toby Higginson is always available and responsive, a brilliant commercial operator and exceptional in understanding his clients’ needs‘
‘Simon Goldring is an excellent technical lawyer whose strength lies in being able to make even the most complex of legal issues seem simple. Unflappable and has a lovely manner‘
‘Legal director Ben Gold is as bright as a button and provides extremely impressive advice and litigation strategy‘
Probitas syndicate 1492
- Representing AIG Europe in a reinsurance coverage dispute in the High Court against Jordan Insurance Company relating to a £7m bank robbery at the Damascus branch of International Bank of Trade and Finance.
- Successfully defending London market D&O insurers Arch, Hiscox, Liberty, and Barbican in international arbitration proceedings brought by the liquidators of collapsed Lithuanian bank Ukio Bankas.
- Acted for W.R. Berkley Insurance and Lancashire Insurance participating on a second excess layer of insurance in a coverage dispute against SBM Offshore relating to the improperly installed legs of a mobile offshore production unit.
- Representing QBE in D&O coverage proceedings against the directors of an Icelandic bank that collapsed in 2008.
- Advising Navigators on their position arising from a claim that has been brought against a insured contractor, which is now in administration.
BLM, which has well-established strength in handling property damage claims, also fields a growing range of work for insurers and brokers on professional negligence, reinsurance, commercial risk, personal injury and cyber insurance matters. John O’Shea heads the property damage and recovery team, supported by property damage expert Mark Aitken. Head of reinsurance Gavin Coull and Damian Cleary, who specialises in business interruption, property and onshore energy, both joined from Foran Glennon (UK) LLP in July 2018. Ross Baker works on professional indemnity claims arising from personal injury accidents, data breaches, medical incidents and frauds.
John O’Shea; Damian Cleary; Gavin Coull; Mark Aitken
Other key lawyers:
‘Painstaking, thorough, persistent, well-respected firm‘
‘This firm stands out from others in its approach – they understand our company’s values and philosophies and provide advice that incorporates this. They are approachable, knowledgeable and thorough. Their advice is always detailed and balanced and they always get good outcomes‘
‘Martin Jensen is an impressive lawyer, very effective in complex cases involving financial and property professionals‘
‘Philip Adamis and associate Hanna Platt are incredibly approachable and professional. Their advice is always well balanced, detailed and gets to the heart of the issues perfectly. They also have great people skills‘
‘Alexander Traill and solicitor Nick Benson give outstanding attention to detail‘
Direct Line Group
HDI Global Specialty
- Retained by Generali and Mapfre to advise on policy coverage and defend subsequent court proceedings in relation to an aluminium smelting loss where the insured, Lassan Holdings, sought €21m for property damage and business interruption.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Best known for its reinsurance work, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP also covers property claims arising out of natural disasters, as well as construction, cyber, marine and aviation insurance issues for bluechip insurers and reinsurers. Practice heads Jonathan Sacher and Anthony Lennox's experience spans a wide range of areas, with a particular focus on the reinsurance sector. Kelly Jones handles reinsurance and insurance coverage issues and debt recovery cases.
Jonathan Sacher; Anthony Lennox
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is responsive and easy to contact‘
‘Exceptional attention to detail and always looking out for the best interests of the client. Individuals are my go to lawyers for particularly difficult matters‘
‘Anthony Lennox is practical, commercial, well-connected and well-known‘
‘Jonathan Sacher is the rottweiler of all litigators‘
‘James Fairburn is very clever and has exceptional patience to fully understand issues‘
- Instructed by one the insurers/reinsurers of the Address Downtown Hotel in Dubai, which suffered a major fire in 2015.
The 'highly specialised' Carter Perry Bailey LLP stands out for its international expertise in a wide range of matters including personal injury, reinsurance, property as well as various coverage claims. The firm's client roster includes insurers, reinsurers and brokers from the US, Europe and the Middle East. Stephen Carter, who 'provides clear unambiguous advice', is a highly regarded lawyer with a focus on reinsurance, while Bernadette Bailey regularly undertakes direct insurance claims and industrial work. 'Superb' senior counsel Bill Perry specialises in fine art insurance, international litigation and arbitration.
‘Carter Perry Bailey is one of the best when it comes to reinsurance disputes’
‘Experienced lawyers who are very open minded and able to listen to others’ opinions and needs‘
‘The boutique style firm has specialised lawyers and is easy to retain‘
‘Specialist insurance and reinsurance knowledge from very experienced practitioners who have day to day control of each case they are responsible for‘
‘Nothing is too much trouble for this professional team‘
‘Stephen Carter provides clear unambiguous advice, is patient, prepared to listen and determined to get to the source of an issue‘
‘Stephen Carter is one of the few lawyers who still regularly do reinsurance disputes‘
‘Bill Perry is a superb lawyer as well as Stephen Carter. They are up to date, easily contactable, and one step ahead from competitors on strategy‘
HDI Gerling Insurance (Netherlands)
Nasco France (France)
Syrian Arab Insurance Co (Lebanon)
Partner Re (UK)
FedEx Trade Networks Inc (USA)
NDI Insurance Brokers (UK)
Maas Lloyd Schadeverzekerings/Hampden Insurance NV (Netherlands)
Reaseguradora Patria (Mexico)
Sentry Insurance, A Mutual Company (USA)
Allianz IARD (France) &
Allianz Global Corporate (France)
- Advising Sentry Insurance, which unexpectedly found itself the 100% reinsurer of AGF Insurance UK following a defective Part VII transfer, when that company was sued by Lexington Insurance for payment of claims resulting from Alcoa pollution.
- Representing Allianz IARD (France) and the insured, a manufacturer of a wind turbine, regarding a product failure.
- Representing the insurers of a Greek bus and coach co-operative in a claim regarding one of the drivers who allegedly injured two English tourists in an accident in Crete.
- Instructed by continental European insurers in the defence of a series of industrial injury and industrial disease claims brought against them through UK interests of their insured’s.
- Acting for insurers based outside the jurisdiction in implementing the ‘fundamental dishonesty’ provisions of the Criminal Justice and Courts Act in relation to employers’ and contractors’ liability claims for injuries arising out of on-site accidents.
Clausen Miller LLP
The 'highly knowledgeable' Clausen Miller LLP has strong capabilities in handling insurance and reinsurance matters relating to coverage, property damage and business interruptions claims. The group's client roster includes global insurers and reinsurers. Jonathan Hall has specific expertise in handling work involving South American countries, supported by associate Tatiana Markovitch, while senior partner John Startin - who 'combines super-friendliness and approachability with an absolute command of the law' - is instructed on a wide range of international disputes.
John Startin; Jonathan Hall
Other key lawyers:
‘Clausen Miller provided us with a thorough and expedient review of a huge amount of information and framed our legal position and arguments, giving us confidence in our case. The communication strategy was targeted in a precise and planned way to give us the best chance of success‘
‘The firm is a market-renowned expert in advising clients on major insurance/reinsurance losses. This focus on a particular area allows strong insight into the industry practices and participants and a deep understanding of the commercial sector in which they operate. The team acts as a strong protector of the client’s interests and examines projects in grinding detail to reveal arguments that larger law firms miss‘
‘Clausen Miller is knowledgeable on the technical aspects of construction involving wet works and related insurance litigation and have considerable familiarity with South American civil law jurisdictions. This is a unique combination of skills‘
‘The insurance and reinsurance team at Clausen Miller is both easy to deal with and highly knowledgeable about insurance and reinsurance disputes‘
‘This bespoke practice delivers precise and focused attention to complex and challenging issues‘
‘All the partners and associates have attended to my legal inquiries with accuracy and effectiveness‘
‘John Startin is excellent at protecting his clients and finding flaws in arguments that can be used to enhance or defeat positions‘
‘John Startin takes the lead on legal review and analysis, is extremely cautious and carefully thinks through the issues. He advises us judiciously‘
‘John Startin combines super-friendliness and approachability with an absolute command of insurance and reinsurance business and law‘
‘Jonathan Hall possesses a focused commercial approach on the issues that really matter and is an expert at interpreting data and performing detailed analysis‘
‘Jonathan Hall has strong analytical capabilities and has the ability to review complex engineering expert data and reports and challenge these. Given the very high degree of complexity of the issues we are dealing with, this has proven invaluable‘
Cooley (UK) LLP is particularly experienced in advising reinsurers and insurers in the run-off market on liability insurance, reinsurance and coverage matters. Practice head Mark Everiss has a strong track record acting for insurers in the run-off market, while David Kendall - 'one of the best solicitors in the business' - covers coverage run-off and insolvency, third party liability, political risk, D&O and property insurance as well as reinsurance. Associate Sam Tacey is another key member of the practice. Former partner James Crabtree left to join Keystone Law in November 2018.
‘The team provides very detailed analysis of legal arguments‘
‘David Kendall is a vastly experienced insurance and reinsurance litigator with a very calm and steady demeanour. He can grasp complex claims very quickly‘
‘The leadership of David Kendall is quite exceptional. He is one of the best tacticians and one of the best solicitors in the business‘
Lloyd’s Market Association
Municipal Mutual Insurance Limited
The Mediterranean Insurance & Reinsurance Company Limited
RiverStone Managing Agency
- Obtained a worldwide freezing order on behalf of Med Re against one of its former directors.
- Acting for XL (Bermuda) in relation to disputes in London arbitration concerning coverage under Bermuda Form liability insurance policies for claims against policyholders relating to a variety of matters, including medical devices, pharmaceuticals, terrorism and construction defect.
- Represented Equitas in an arbitration for payment of claims on reinsurance contracts brought against a non-paying reinsurer.
- Representing a run-off insurer in relation to a high value dispute with complex coverage issues arising out of claims in the US for contamination of drinking water by the gasoline additive MTBE.
- Acting for a German insurance company in a dispute with a major syndicate at Lloyd’s regarding a complex reinsurance contract providing $250m cover.
With growing capabilities in the marine and energy sectors, DWF handles reinsurance, coverage, liability, personal injury and property damage claims. David Abbott, who was promoted to co-head of the team after joining from Clyde & Co LLP in November 2018, specialises in trade and political risk, credit insurance and reinsurance, while John Groome covers product liability, casualty and property work and Jonathan Moss focuses on marine, trade and energy matters. Antony Woodhouse regularly handles disputes with a cross-border element.
Jonathan Moss; John Groome; David Abbott
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is flexible, fast, and watches out for any details‘
‘The firm is unarguably good‘
ACE New York
Generali and Generali IARD (France)
Zurich Corporate Global
Novae Syndicates Ltd
Markel International Insurance Corporation Limited and Markel Syndicate 3000
Canopius Group Limited
The American P&I Club
- Acting for Travelers Marine and its insured ship owners in a case involving the collision between a container vessel and a mobile harbour crane in Sierra Leone.
- Appointed by an insurer on a subrogated recovery action concerning an oil platform which suffered water ingress under tow off Shandong, China.
- Advised an insurer on the extent of cover in connection with the damage to a vessel’s cabling, hydrophone tanks and main engine fuel oil heater after a fire in the engine room.
- Instructed by Dual Australia to seek a contribution from the insured’s marine protection and indemnity insurers in a case of double insurance.
- Advising an insurer on reinsurance recoveries from the US, European and London reinsurance markets.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's offering covers all lines of business including tax, product liability, property damage and business interruption, trade credit and energy. As global head of the insurance group, Simon Brooks handles a wide range of matters including negligence claims against insurance brokers. He is supported by associate Naz Gauri, who has experience in financial, professional and property claims.
Other key lawyers:
Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc
Crawford & Company
Lockton Companies LLP
United Insurance Brokers
JLT Specialty Ltd
The practice at Hogan Lovells International LLP benefits from the firm's huge international reach, regularly handling insurance and reinsurance litigation involving Latin America. The team, led by Nick Atkins, undertakes work spanning professional indemnity, trade finance, political risk, construction, and reinsurance coverage disputes. Jamie Rogers, who was promoted to partner in January 2019, covers a wide range of lines of business and has expertise in sanctions work.
Other key lawyers:
Willis Towers Watson
- Acting for PA (GI) in relation to liability for misselling claims made by customers of mail order retailers such as Next and Grattan.
Mayer Brown International LLP advises insurers on disputes across a variety of insurance sectors, including multi-jurisdictional coverage, warranty and indemnity policies, D&O, transactional liability and cyber insurance. Practice head William Glassey has particular expertise in professional indemnity, while Jane Childs specialises on financial lines and transactional liability claims. After a number of departures in 2017 and 2018, the firm reaffirmed its commitment to the sector with the promotion of two partners - James Whitaker and James Morris.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm has genuine expertise of the insurance sector‘
‘The individuals I have worked with at the firm are very knowledgeable’
Chubb Insurance Company of Europe SE
Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) SE
Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe Limited
Liberty Specialty Markets
Resolute Management Services Limited (formerly Equitas)
Norton Rose Fulbright has strength in advising on reinsurance, trade finance, aviation, and professional negligence work, and increasingly handles D&O and W&I indemnity claims. The firm recently saw the departures of former practice head Liam O’Connell, who joined DAC Beachcroft LLP, as well as a group of 12 lawyers to Kennedys, including marine and energy partners Patrick Foss, Chris Zavos. The team is now led by Adrian Mecz, who has broad expertise acting for insurers and reinsurers. The 'excellent' Michelle George focuses on professional liability claims and global data protection, while 'very impressive' privacy and cybersecurity co-head Ffion Flockhart specialises in W&I litigation, as well as cyber risk issues.
‘The team knows the details of our business well and provide work product of a high quality to often tight deadlines‘
‘Michelle George brings a vast amount of knowledge and experience to the table as well as good commerciality. She is excellent at recommending the right counsel for the job as well‘
‘Jonathan Ogle is accurate, knowledgeable and very hard working. He has an excellent rapport with key sets of chambers and is a whizz at getting a good deal out of the clerks‘
Liberty Specialty Markets
- Acting for war risks insurers Talbot, Hiscox and other syndicates at Lloyd’s in defence of claims following an alleged piracy attack on the crude oil tanker Brillante Virtuoso off Aden in July 2011.
With a strong track record handling financial services and professional indemnity claims, Browne Jacobson LLP has recently seen an uptick in work relating to property damage, brokers' liability, D&O and reinsurance matters, among other areas. Practice head Jonathan Newbold, who splits his time between London and Nottingham, focuses on professional negligence. 'Fantastic lawyer' Colin Peck has particular expertise in property damage and business interruption disputes, while Francis Mackie advises on brokers' negligence.
‘The firm is very experienced, thorough and proactive when dealing with the issues faced‘
‘Browne Jacobson is remarkably client-focused. The responsiveness and attentiveness to the requirements of the matter on which we worked was remarkable‘
‘A go-getting firm with a high profile presence in the insurance and professional negligence sectors‘
‘Colin Peck is a highly experienced and effective litigator who really knows his way around the insurance industry. He gives his all for his clients. He is imaginative and innovative, thinks around a problem from every angle and gets great results consistently‘
‘Colin Peck is a talented lawyer, capable of dealing with bespoke requests for analysis of complex, unusual matters. He thinks widely and is always able to offer practical, potential ideas and solutions, whilst pointing out the pitfalls we must avoid. He is engaging and extremely capable, conscious of the time demands placed upon us and finds the time to discuss matters, often at short notice‘
‘Francis Mackie is thorough and gives sound advice whilst advocating strongly on behalf of the client‘
‘Ed Anderson is a very shrewd litigator who knows precisely the right buttons to press to achieve what he wants. His relaxed manner belies a really tough core‘
‘Associate Zoe Bowden is clearly a rapidly rising star in this field. I expect her to be a leading practitioner in this area in the future‘
At Pinsent Masons LLP, practice head Nick Bradley covers a wide range of insurance and reinsurance disputes including construction claims. Colin Read focuses on the financial services sector, while Ian Birdsey is an expert in cyber and data breach insurance.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons has 'excellent' capabilities in the product liability space, notably representing Munich Re in global claims relating to 'metal on metal' prostheses. The 'very capable' Jason Bright specialises in this area and advises primary and excess layer insurers on product liability and product recall losses. Another key member of the practice is the 'exceptionally intelligent' James Pollock, who focuses on professional liability, coverage, reinsurance and construction matters.
Jason Bright; James Pollock
‘The team is second to none for coverage advice regarding product liability matters‘
‘Excellent insurance division ahead of market trends and issues‘
‘James Pollock leads a very capable and strong team of lawyers who are market leaders in their field‘
‘Jason Bright is exceptionally intelligent, commercial and user-friendly, and reports in a succinct and understandable manner. He has the ability to make even the most complex matters digestible‘
‘Managing associate Sherry Goodman-Smith is switched on and exceptionally bright. She is destined for great things‘
- Advising Munich Re in connection with global claims affecting the medical devices industry relating to ‘metal on metal’ prostheses.
- Advising liability insurers QBE, Chubb and Brit as to their coverage positions and potential recovery actions after the collapse of the Cologne Archive building during the construction of underground tram tunnels.
- Advising Pembroke Managing Agents in connection with the reinsurance of CFE, Mexico’s state-owned electricity provider.
- Advising Talbot Insurance in connection with a mass product recall of glass bottles used by one of Australia’s largest wine manufacturers.
- Acting for Starstone Insurance Holdings in a coverage dispute with regard to an indemnity request under a professional indemnity policy in relation to defective wind turbines in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Stephenson Harwood boasts a highly specialised and 'vastly' experienced marine insurance team, which was further strengthened in October 2018 by the arrival of the highly regarded Joe O’Keeffe from Ince. 'Great commercial tactician' Alex Davis advises on cross-border hull, cargo, war risks, port risk, shipyard liability, general liability and mortgagee interest disputes. Simon Moore, who focuses on marine and energy matters, recently successfully argued in front of the Supreme Court in the B Atlantic case relating to war risks insurance.
‘The team is made up of people who complement each other in their skills, expertise and knowledge and who are as comfortable in combat as they are working collaboratively alongside others‘
‘Stephenson Harwood is the market leader for marine insurance litigation and coverage advice in the City. The firm have vast experience and is the go-to firm for the London marine market‘
‘Team of good communicators who have approachable user-friendly expertise and are sensitive to the commercial relationship‘
‘Joe O’Keeffe and senior associate Richard Hugg demonstrate a high level ability, combined with a common sense approach‘
‘Alex Davis and Joe O’Keeffe provide honest legal advice and a practical approach to addressing problems in a cost effective manner‘
‘Joe O’Keeffe probably knows more about the law of marine insurance than any other partner in the City‘
‘Alex Davis and Nick Barber are impressive‘
‘Alex Davis is a great commercial tactician‘
‘Senior associate Richard Hugg has it all and is really going places‘
‘Associates Edward Cole and Richard Hugg provide excellent support and are prepared to think outside the box when addressing an issue‘
Royal & Sun Alliance plc
Liberty Mutual Insurance
AXA Corporate Solutions Assurance
Navigators Insurance Company Limited
India International Insurance
Lancashire Insurance Group (UK) Ltd
Antares Managing Agency Limited
The Channel Syndicate
Atrium Underwriters Limited
- Defending war risks insurers Navigators Insurance Company and others in proceedings relating to the constructive total loss of the vessel B Atlantic, which was detained in Venezuela in 2007 as a result of the discovery of cocaine strapped to its hull
- Acted for H&M underwriters The Channel Syndicate in a dispute with the assured regarding whether the storm-damaged vessel qualified as a constructive total loss.
- Acting for hull insurers Royal & Sun Alliance in respect of the total loss of a vessel following impact in the Red Sea with coral reef and subsequent sinking in deep waters.
Cozen O'Connor has expertise handling marine, power and industrial property damage, construction and trade credit insurance and reinsurance claims. Practice head Paul Dowsey focuses on mining, power generation, construction and treaty reinsurance disputes, often with a Latin American element, while co-head Andrew Tobin undertakes marine insurance, political risk and trade credit insurance work.
Paul Dowsey; Andrew Tobin
Channel Syndicate at Lloyd’s
Beazley Syndicate at Lloyd’s
Tokio Marine HCC
Osprey Underwriting / Thomas Miller
- Represented marine insurers Thomas Miller Underwriting Agencies in a claim against an insured relating to a lost cargo.
Mills & Reeve LLP
Mills & Reeve LLP covers matters spanning professional indemnity, D&O, cyber liability, commercial property and construction insurance claims under the leadership of the experienced Neil Davis. Other key members of the team are Michael Mitchell, who heads the property risks team and has 'exceptional investigative skills', and Adrian Luto, who specialises in advising surety insurers on construction matters.
‘Handles a diverse range of cases with difficult and important coverage issues’
‘The team is very refreshingly honest and reliable, with prognosis updates and opinion on how the matter is likely to pan out to conclusion‘
‘Excellent skills at communication, decent to work with on a personal level‘
‘Michael Mitchell combines an exceptional understanding of insurance law with a down-to-earth and client friendly approach. He has exceptional investigative skills‘
AIG Europe Limited
Canopius Managing Agents Limited
- Defending a Lloyd’s syndicate from a claim for ownership of a valuable violin recovered from auction.
- Advising on a claim relating to the design and build of the new Royal Liverpool University Project and demolition of the old hospital following Carillion’s liquidation.
Slaughter and May
The 'highly skilled' team at Slaughter and May advises insurers and brokers on liability and coverage claims relating to D&O, professional indemnity and business interruptions policies, and is regularly involved in multi-jurisdictional disputes. Practice head Efstathios Michael stands out for his 'impressive tactical ability' in a wide range of matters, regularly handling work for key client Marsh.
‘Excellent client service with highly skilled but also personable lawyers who are actively aware of commercial issues‘
‘The insurance/reinsurance litigation practice is highly efficient and effective. A very well-run practice, with an unshakable determination to achieve the best commercial result for the client‘
‘Efstathios Michael has superb commercial instinct, impressive tactical ability and a sharp legal mind. He always brings refreshing good humour and perspective to even the most complex dispute. Always a pleasure to work with and a class act‘
- Advising Marsh in respect of a D&O coverage dispute with Meinl Bank
- Advising Marsh in relation to matters arising out of a specialist insurance policy following the explosion of a satellite.
Weightmans LLP covers a wide range of lines of business including construction, engineering and the renewable energy sector, and is increasingly involved in D&O, cyber, specie and aviation. This last area was recently strengthened by the arrival of Andrew Krausz, who joined from Clyde & Co LLP as head of the aviation practice. The 'technically outstanding' Ling Ong specialises in coverage issues, Edward Lewis has broad experience and Robert Crossingham focuses on professional and management lines work. Simon Durkin is a property and casualty expert.
Rob Williams (Liverpool)
‘Provides pragmatic and consistent advice‘
‘The firm has developed an enviable reputation in the insurance sector’
‘The team is a great combination of excellent technical legal knowledge and astute commercial awareness and practicality. Very strong and technically excellent but direct and readily understandable advice and communications‘
‘Ling Ong is willing to review difficult problems and present solutions‘
‘Ling Ong is technically outstanding on the law, very practical, capable and user friendly‘
‘Quentin Fox is a hugely experienced insurance litigator who has the ear, trust and confidence of insurers across the board. He is unshowy but highly effective and his extensive knowledge across every sector of the insurance industry is highly impressive‘
‘Robert Crossingham is a very clever man with great judgement. It’s a winning combination‘
‘Edward Lewis is a very smart operator. He’s tenacious and hugely effective’
‘Christy Devon is very able and very well organised‘
Tokio Marine HCC
International Insurance Company of Hannover Limited
Sirius International Insurance Corporation
- Representing reinsurers Sirius International Insurance Corporation and Allianz Insurance in a dispute regarding respiratory claims arising out of the 2011 World Trade Center attack.
- Acting for Starstone in relation to declinature and avoidance of financial adviser network’s excess layer insurance.
- Representing International Insurance Company of Hannover in Commercial Court proceedings in France issued by a major French group against insured and insurers concerning the sale and purchase of solar panels.
- Defending Riverstone in proceedings issued in the Queen’s Bench division of the High Court following a coverage dispute involving a fire.
- Advising the D&O insurers of a Swiss group of companies on a cover for directors held personally accountable by the Turkish authorities for tax liabilities on gold mining activities.
Keoghs LLP is particularly strong in handling property damage claims but also regularly represents clients in reinsurance, professional negligence, trade credit and marine insurance disputes. Richard Houseago heads the property risks and coverage group, while Daniel Crockford leads the marine team; Ruth Lawrence, who splits her time between London and Liverpool, leads on professional negligence matters.
Richard Houseago; Ruth Lawrence; Daniel Crockford
‘The team at Keoghs is efficient, professional and pragmatic. I cannot praise it highly enough‘
‘Technically able team with a wealth of experience and an ability to handle the most complex and high value claims‘
‘The team has excellent strength and depth in insurance and reinsurance matters‘
‘Richard Houseago is hugely experienced and technically brilliant, gives excellent attention to detail and demonstrates sound judgement‘
‘Richard Houseago is extremely experienced and very highly regarded in the insurance market‘
‘Richard Houseago’s depth of knowledge and ability to navigate through the most complex contentious cases is second to none‘
‘Andrew Pieri delivers a personal, professional and friendly service’
‘Andrew Schütte is technically excellent, very bright, and extremely hardworking‘
‘Marise Gellert is very hardworking, extremely dedicated and meticulous in her advice and case preparation. She also has a wealth of knowledge and experience in coverage and liability matters‘
Direct Line Group
Keystone Law's insurance disputes lawyers handle coverage disputes and claims in the aviation, construction, property, personal injury, cyber insurance and professional indemnity sectors. Jane Harte-Lovelace focuses on workplace safety and property damage disputes, while Jason Kallis covers product liability and personal injury claims. James Crabtree, who joined from Cooley (UK) LLP in November 2018, advises on a wide range of issues in the insurance and reinsurance space.
Known for its marine insurance capabilities, Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP also handles commercial property damage, cyber risks, construction and reinsurance claims. Practice head Celso de Azevedo specialises in cross-border disputes incorporating South American elements. Marine specialist Ceri Done left the practice in June 2018.
Celso de Azevedo
Other key lawyers:
‘Mid sized firm with a global reach through its network of offices. Excellent value for money compared to larger firms with similar international presence‘
‘John Strange is a no-nonsense litigator‘
Plexus Law is particularly strong in property risk and coverage disputes, handling property damage claims arising from fires, defective products and professional liability. Other areas of expertise include product liability and construction insurance. Practice head Victoria Jordan is experienced in these areas and is supported by professional negligence expert Philip Lawrence.
Other key lawyers:
‘Philip Tracey has in-depth knowledge; his proven record makes him the standout expert in his field.’
‘Always able to provide the necessary level of expertise.’
Direct Line Group/NIG
- Acted for NIG in a policy dispute relating to a restaurant fire in January 2010.
Disputes boutique Signature Litigation LLP advises insurers and reinsurers on public and professional liability, energy claims and property damage arising from natural disasters and other catastrophes . The firm stands out for its Latin American expertise, with the 'outstanding' Hermes Marangos handling a variety of high-profile matters involving Brazil or Mexico.
‘The team possesses extensive knowledge and experience and is quick and responsive‘
‘Very accurate, well-qualified and informed team, which gives prompt and accurate responses‘
‘Hermes Marangos is enthusiastic, has a unique knowledge of his subject and jurisdictions and an undoubted ability to think out of the box and to seek out a settlement which will benefit the insurer‘
‘Hermes Marangos is an outstanding lawyer who has a brilliant legal mind. His knowledge of many legal systems in Europe and South America as well as his ability to speak many languages gives him the edge over his competitors‘
Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP
Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP's practice has contentious insurance expertise across several areas including aviation, and demonstrates litigation, arbitration and mediation skills, including international arbitration. Practice head Angus Rodger focuses on complex disputes, including major coverage claims.
- Acting for Generali and other insurers in a dispute with Airbus over damage sustained by an A320 aircraft when the landing gear failed to deploy.