Averus has one of the most comprehensive shipping and transport practices in the Lithuanian market, representing clients in shipbuilding, cargo forwarding, salvage and aviation investment, among other areas. The practice is jointly led by highly regarded maritime lawyer Regina Derkintytė-Kaupienė and Laura Čereškaitė-Kinčiuvienė, who acts as permanent legal advisor to a number of aviation-sector businesses and companies operating in the vehicles trade. Senior associates Ignas Kerbelis and Greta Motiejuniene support on contentious matters. Sigita Klimkiene joined the firm from the Klaipeda State Seaport Authority, bringing specific expertise in shipping-related construction contract law.
Shipping and transport in Lithuania
Regina Derkintyte-Kaupiene; Laura Cereskaite-Kinciuviene
Other key lawyers:
Greta Motiejuniene; Ignas Kerbelis; Sigita Klimkiene
‘You can trust services will be delivered on time. Perfect knowledge of aviation industry.’
‘AVERUS maritime law team led by partner Regina Derkintytre-Kaupiene is the best choice for maritime disputes in Lithuania. AVERUS has a solid maritime law practice and excellent maritime law specialists.’
‘Knowledge of the industry, quality of services and response time.’
Danes perlas, UAB
Baltijos pervežimai, UAB
Magnetic Parts Trading Limited
Aero Norway, AS
Jump Air, UAB
Carlyle Aviation Partners
Setna iO, LLC
SIA Marine Underwriting Services
Towmar Baltic, UAB
Scania Finans Aktiebolag Lietuvos filialas
Lithuanian Pilot association
Nurminen Maritime, UAB
Litana ir Ko, UAB
MAI Baltics, UADBB
Marine Legal Bureau OÜ
Rhenus svoris, UAB
SIDC PASSER GROUP, UAB
Compensa Vienna Insurance Group, ADB
ERGO Insurance SE Lietuvos filialas
First Logistics, UAB
JSC Europe stabilizers UAB
Diesel Service Group UAB
CF&S Lithuania UAB
Belgruz Kargo Master
Klaipeda State Seaport Authority
- Advised Heston Airlines in accepting a lease for three narrow-body aircraft and three wide-body aircraft.
- Advised a major insurance company in respect of a business jet lost due to the war in Ukraine in the claim management process related to aircraft repair in Russia under the aviation parts ban regime.
- Advising Klaipeda State Seaport Authority on the construction of the Klaipeda Seaport northern and the southern breakwaters (piers).
Advising the Lithuanian government and Klaipeda Seaport Authority as well as household multinational names, Ellex covers a broad scope of transport and shipping matters. The team has a strong track record in advising on the application and implications of EU law in this field, and has also been engaged for wet leasing disputes in the aviation sector. Practice head Dovile Greblikiene is a recognised shipping expert with a particular specialism in issues relating to oil and LNG terminals. Further key names include transport infrastructure expert Ramunas Petravičius and aviation specialist Giedrius Stasevicius. Vilija Vaitkute Pavan frequently acts on behalf of clients in the transport sector involved in legal disputes and is recommended for providing ‘comfort and trust‘ during the litigation process.
Other key lawyers:
Vilija Vaitkute Pavan; Giedrius Stasevičius; Ramūnas Petravičius; Edvardas Racius
‘Ellex is our long-standing trusted legal advisor for all sorts of legal questions. They have the best experts in every field of law. We value Ellex due to their deep knowledge of the industry we operate in and their experience.’
‘Dovile Greblikiene is a great expert in legislation regarding shipping matters, is able to manage questions at hand in short terms and with full attention, very cooperative in all matters.’
‘Vilija Vaitkute Pavan has an impressive level of experience and professionalism that provides great comfort and trust.’
Sunwing Airlines Inc.
Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania
Klaipedos nafta, AB
Abeking & Rasmussen Schiffs – und Yachtwerft SE
Arrival Line, UAB
SĮ „Susisiekimo paslaugos“
Engine Lease Finance Corporation
AerCap Ireland Limited
DSV Lithuania UAB
AB ORLEN Lietuva
Avion Express UAB
Klaipeda Seaport Authority
Baltic Sea Properties
Girteka Logistics, UAB
- Advising LTG Cargo, AB on EU and US restrictive measures (sanctions) regarding potential disputes and claims from third parties with a multimillion risk exposure.
- Advising the Republic of Lithuania in a case brought before the Court of Justice of the European Union against the provisions of the Mobility Package potentially violating the EU law.
- Represented Sunwing Airlines in a dispute against Lithuanian company UAB Get Jet Airlines arising out of wet lease agreements of four aircraft and Covid-related restrictions.
Sorainen has a reputation for assisting major multinationals operating in the transport sector in Lithuania. This includes contentious work as well as advising on state aid, leasing and infrastructure construction-related matters. Daivis Švirinas heads this practice in addition to the firm’s competition and regulatory team, making him well placed to advise on entrance into the Lithuanian market for international transport and logistics companies. Vaiva Mašidlauskienė co-heads the transport practice, focusing on a range of work, covering aviation, rail, infrastructure and both maritime and inland waterway shipping. Senior associate Svetlana Rudaja has nearly a decade of experience in transport law, focusing primarily on rail infrastructure work.
Daivis Švirinas; Vaiva Mašidlauskienė
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong knowledge of the automotive business in all Baltic countries. High level of expertise.’
‘They have the capability to understand and evaluate the issue/matter very soon; they are easy to reach, co-operative and quick to assist in a very comprehensive manner. High quality assistance.’
‘Very professional and timely support. Clear and perfect problems solving or required documents preparation.’
‘Fast and easy communication.’
‘Mrs. Vaiva Mašidlauskienė has been providing strong support regarding Lithuania market specifics in the automotive business.’
‘Vaiva Mašidlauskienė – easy and prompt communication, attention to task details and explanations on the implementation options.’
‘Fast responses and professional advice.’
‘Up-to-date and detailed insurance and aviation industry knowledge.’
Lietuvos geležinkeliai (Lithuanian railways)
Nissan Nordic Europe Oy
Wizz Air Hungary Ltd.
Kelių priežiūra AB
Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria
ICF Consulting Services Ltd.
- Represented Lietuvos geležinkeliai and its subsidiary LTG Infra in the dispute with the Communications Regulatory Authority of the Republic of Lithuania.
- Represented Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria in a case against Lufthansa involving the potential application of the Cape Town Convention in the country.
- Advised Certares on acquiring a stake in Avia Solutions Group (ASG), where Certares will provide a €300m structured equity investment to ASG.
TGS Baltic has a broad transport practice covering, but not limited to, innovative aviation-sector work, large-scale transport industry employment disputes, and the interplay of sanctions and cross-border freight. The firm is also regularly engaged for public-sector work in the transport field. PPP and infrastructure expert and former diplomat Gytis Kaminskas jointly leads the practice with international arbitration specialist Žydrūnė Stuglytė. Managing partner Vilius Bernatonis and associate partner Tadas Varapnickas are also key names.
Gytis Kaminskas; Žydrūnė Stuglytė
Other key lawyers:
Tadas Varapnickas; Vilius Bernatonis
‘The team studies and analyses the subject matter in depth and provides accurate and thorough conclusions, legal documentation is precise and provided in due time. The billing for the completed tasks is clear and reasonable. The information provided on cases and legal procedures are precise and in due time.’
‘Tadas Varapnickas is a professional lawyer, providing the legal assistance in the subject matter in due time and in full engagement.’
‘Lawyers are able to quickly mobilise specialists from different fields to fully analyse the presented factual circumstances.’
‘Its lawyers are proactive, and are able to quickly delve into specific legislation and offer fully assessed solutions.’
Compagnie D’affretement et de Transport C.A.T.
The Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania
Avia Solutions Group
Europiir Logistics OU
DHL Logistics Lithuania
- Advised Avia Solutions Group (ASG) on entering into a strategic partnership with Certares Management LLC through a €300m structured equity investment in the group.
- Represented a group of 10 employees against Ryanair and its Polish subsidiary (Buzz) over failure to comply with business transfer requirements, illegal transfer to UK, illegal dismissal of the employees and other matters.
- Assisting Belaruskalij in a sanctions-related freight contract dispute.
Cobalt has a strong practice handling large damages claims in shipping and road transport. Vaidas Mackonis, who has more than 14 years’ experience in shipping and transport law and counts Kuehne + Nagel as a key client, leads the team. Associate Nerijus Jurkus, who specialises in customs law, is also an important member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great team that has wide knowledge of different fields of law.’
‘Nerijus Jurkus is always willing to help and has a deep understanding of both common and rare issues.’
Kuehne + Nagel, UAB
Alpi Baltika, UAB
Lithuanian National Road Carriers Association LINAVA
TOKIO MARINE KILN INSURANCE LIMITED
UAB “BTL Group“
UAB “Baltic transline”
UAB “Baltic transline transport”
Helvetia Assurances SA
Riga international airport
AB Lietuvos geležinkeliai
Scania CV AB
Air Baltic Corporation A/S
- Represented KUEHNE + NAGEL, UAB in respect of the import and sale of cargo which was delivered by YANAGI ENTERPRISE to the consignee YASAYA LTD to Lithuania by sea and road transport.
- Represented TOKIO MARINE KILN INSURANCE in a civil case in which the claimant UAB “Balux“ submitted a claim against the client and the insurer regarding damage caused by a fire during the carriage of goods in Belgium.
- Representing ALPI Baltika, UAB in a dispute regarding the theft of computer hardware during the carriage of goods by road.
Shipping and transport matters are core strengths of internationally focused firm Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland), which represents major cargo companies such as Maersk and is involved in the development of Lithuanian port infrastructure through its assistance provided to Moffatt & Nichol. The firm also has a strong association with trucking in Lithuania. Sigitas Groblys and Justinas Usonis, who is praised for his ‘industry and technical knowledge‘, lead the team.
Sigitas Groblys; Justinas Usonis
‘Excellent team. Highly diverse and collaborative. We like their capability, technical knowledge and business understanding of the transport sector.’
‘Justinas Usonis has extremely good industry and technical knowledge. He also connects well to his partners in other countries, like Germany, Italy and Poland.’
Moffatt & Nichol
- Advising Europa Road, one of the biggest international transport companies in Europe, on a commercial agreement for the purchase of fuel.
- Advising global US-based water and port infrastructure company Moffatt & Nichol on participation in public tenders related to the design, construction and development of port infrastructure in Lithuania.
- Provided the National Association of Road Carriers with legal advice and consultations related to new legislation on the posting of drivers.
Primus counts regional energy and shipping companies among its clients, as well as multinationals in the transport sector. The team, led by managing partner Robert Juodka and PPP specialist Tomas Venckus, advises on cross-border deals, public procurement, financing, data protection and employment law. Further key names include Paulius Docka and Jaroslav Pavlovskij.
Robert Juodka; Tomas Venckus
Other key lawyers:
Jonas Platelis; Paulius Docka; Greta Bagdanavičiūtė; Jaroslav Pavlovskij
CONTAINERSHIPS CMA CGM GmbH
Ziya Nehir Lojistik Ticaret AS
PKP Energetyka SA
LUX EXPRESS OÜ
TILTS SIA /MO-24
World Baltic Trade, UAB
- Advising DB Schenker on transport law, disputes, management issues and matters of customs warehousing in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus and Ukraine.
- Advising CONTAINERSHIPS CMA on transport law, including transport-related disputes and shipping law.
- Assisted Goswift OÜ in the preparation of tender proposal documentation for the international public procurement conducted by the Directorate of Border Crossing Infrastructure under the Ministry of Transport and Communications.
WALLESS has a solid reputation in the field of aviation financing and M&A, and the firm also advises on major transport infrastructure projects. The transport practice complements the firm’s strengths in public procurement. The PPP-focused Laura Ziferman leads the practice jointly with Gediminas Reciunas, an expert in the Lithuanian aviation sector.
Gediminas Reciunas; Laura Ziferman
Civil Aviation Association (in Lithuania)
- Advising a consortium of Elecnor and Instalaciones Inabensa on the implementation of a €360m contract for electrification works of railway section Vilnius-Klaipeda.
- Assisted DAT Group in the financing and acquisition of an aircraft hangar located in Kaunas, Lithuania.
- Assisted Global Airways in the beginning of commercial flight operations in Lithuania.
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius
The specialised aviation team at Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius, led by highly experienced founding partner Gintautas Šulija, advises chiefly on the leasing of aircraft. Many of the department’s matters have an international scope, with the team handling numerous cross-border leasing deals and being engaged by clients from as far afield as Malta. Senior associate Eduard Plesak, ‘of great assistance in any commercial matter, especially when dealing with clients from Russian-speaking countries‘, is also key.
Other key lawyers:
‘Our experience is very positive with Sulija Partners. They are able to handle sophisticated and complex aviation transactions. They are practical, commercially – oriented and willing to make efforts protecting clients’ interests. We use their services because of availability, friendly and professional approach and, most importantly, a quality legal advice. This permits us to mitigate legal risks of our company.’
‘Gintautas Šulija is very business-oriented, a good negotiator and very accessible. Eduard Plešak is also highly recommended for the regulatory knowledge and professional drafting skills.’
‘They are highly experienced in handling the most sophisticated transactional matters and know our business very well, which clearly makes them stand out from other Lithuanian law firms. The lawyers take each commercial matter very seriously, provide efficient legal advice, protect their clients’ interests and are not afraid to take a position. As for innovations, I would point out the use of various technology in communication and providing legal services mostly remotely, as well as availability 24/7.’
UAB “GetJet Airlines”
Investec Bank Plc
Northern Aviation Management Limited
Aeroassets Management Limited
Airhub Airlines Limited
Arius Avia Limited
UAB “Plieniniai sparnai”
Airhub Aviation Ltd.
Union Aviation AS
- Advised UAB GetJet Airlines on the lease of one Airbus A330 from Irish leasing company Athena4 Aviation Leasing.
- Advised Malta-based airline Airhub Airlines on the lease of one Airbus A340 aircraft from a UAE-based company.
- Advised Airhub Airlines on the lease of three Boeing 737 aircraft from Irish lessor Oakstar Cargo Opportunities No. 1 DAC and the further sublease of these three aircraft to GetJet Airlines.
LEADELL Balciunas ir Grajauskas
LEADELL Balciunas ir Grajauskas is actively involved in the Lithuanian shipping sector through its longstanding representation of stevedoring company KLASCO of Klaipeda seaport – which is currently very busy with wind turbine building contracts – as well as ship-repairing businesses and terminal operators. Multinational investor Indeco is also a key transport-sector client. Accomplished disputes lawyer Vaidas Radvila leads the practice.
“Klaipėdos laivų remontas” UAB
“Centrinis Klaipėdos Terminalas“ UAB
“Indeco Investment and Development” UAB
“Krovinių terminalas” UAB
- Providing advice to Klaipėdos laivų remontas on its international and local operations, including national and international shipping matters, which often entails representing the client in negotiations and disputes.
- Advises KLASCO and negotiates contracts for the loading and transportation of wind power plant components, which will be manufactured in the Klaipėda seaport area leased by KLASCO.
- Advises Indeco as a shareholder and its representatives in the Board of FIMA regarding complex matters of FIMA’s governance and other consultations regarding transport systems.
Verum Law has carved out a niche as a go-to firm for disputes in the logistics sector. As such, it is to date one of the only local firms which is a member of LINEKA, the Lithuanian National Association of Forwarders and Logistics. Experienced transport lawyer Mindaugas Šimkūnas heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘The client-oriented high quality legal services. VERUM provides efficient and comprehensive solutions to complex legal issues. The lawyers are able to analyse a large amount of complex information, including legal, and explain it to us in simple manner. They use flexible models of the legal payments for the legal service and always offers the best model to the particular situation.’
‘Mindaugas Šimkūnas stands out as an extremely knowledgeable and dedicated legal professional, setting the highest standards of work in his practice. All our legal inquiries were handled with extreme attention to the details, and all our decisions and actions, were secured by thorough and reliable preliminary research and due diligence of the legal implications from all angles. He always does his job with the “extra mile“ and is able to work under pressure.’
‘It’s very easy to be in contact and get advice in various issues. Urgent advice is easily received verbally. We rely on the qualification of partners and also assistance. My main contacts are attorneys Albertas Buta and Mindaugas Simkunas.’
Nunner Logistics, UAB
DHL logistics, UAB
Rhenus logistics, UAB
ACE logistics, UAB
Transfera Logistics, OU
- Representing Lithuanian forwarding company UAB Breitto in the court process against First Logistics UAB concerning compensation of demurrage of three high cube containers left uncollected by the consignee due to the government actions in the port of Lagos, Nigeria.
- Represented UAB RIVI Logistics in a claim for compensation for provided transportation services.
- Represented UAB TRANS SOLUTIONS against a Latvian transport company due to the compensation for 20 destroyed marble slabs and additional costs for cargo transportation from Italy to Russia.