At Averus, the team is particularly noted for its strengths in shipping and aviation law. In addition to having an office in Vilnius, the firm has an additional office in Klaipeda, which sees it have close access to Lithuania’s shipping ports. Founding partner Regina Derkintytė-Kaupienė is an expert in maritime law and a noted arbitrator in both the Vilnius Court of Commercial Arbitration and the Riga District Arbitration Court. Managing partner Laura Čereškaitė-Kinčiuvienė is a key name in the market for aviation work, with expertise in aircraft acquisitions, financing and leasing, as well as experience handling liability cases over cargo loss or damage. Senior associate Greta Motiejuniene, whose core focus is on bankruptcy litigation, is also recommended.
Shipping and transport in Lithuania
Regina Derkintytė-Kaupienė; Laura Čereškaitė-Kinčiuvienė
Other key lawyers:
‘They are flexible, quick reacting and aiming for workable solutions’
‘The team at Averus are excellent. They always respond to my questions and any issues I raise promptly and make sure I fully understand their advice before proceeding to instruct my clients. ’
‘They are first and foremost direct and to the point in their advice. They really get to the key of the issue.’
‘The Averus team has a great understanding of our priorities and swiftly adapts to changes in our requirements without any fuss.’
‘Laura is a formidable aviation expert and trusted adviser to our business. She can be trusted to deal with the most nuanced and complex asset transactions with commercial clarity, even when the situation becomes extremely stressful.’
‘Knowledge of laws, local legal practice. Fast and complete response to customer requests’
‘Averus has a very strong team which supports us in all on situations, helps to solve all legal questions. For us as a company who does not have internal lawyer is very convenient because we get quick and very reliable service. ’
‘Regina Derkintyte – Kaupiene has extremely good shipping industry know-how, is client-oriented thus can provide extensive advice on various shipping related matters.’
UAB Danes perlas
UAB VLL Group
UAB Baltijos pervežimai
Magnetic Parts Trading
SIA Marine Underwriting Services
UAB Towmar Baltic
Scania Finans Aktiebolag Lietuvos filialas
UAB Stena Line
- Represented Topada in the claim during a maritime accident.
- Advised Magnetic Parts Trading in the public auction announced by an Asian flag-carrier airline for the sale of package of Airbus A321-231 aircrafts.
- Advised Heston Aviation on its purchase of one Airbus A320-200.
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius is ‘second to none for all aviation matters’, with its practice offering ‘in-depth knowledge of the market’ and ‘valuable experience of numerous aviation transactions’. The team acts on all aspects of aircraft leasing, financing and acquisitions. Clients include major international companies such as Castle Lake, Macquarie AirFinance, Boeing, Airbus and Bombardier aircraft. Practice head Gintautas Šulija and Eduard Plešak are names to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘The law firm is second to none for all aviation matters and possesses in-depth knowledge of the market and valuable experience of numerous aviation transactions. The firm develops a strong relationship with its client and the lawyers are professional and reliable. The firm advised us for many years and we are happy to continue our cooperation.’
‘Very strong team. Easy to work and communicate.’
‘Gintautas Sulija is outstanding with his understanding of the industry’
‘The law firm is experienced in advising travel agencies and knows the business very well, which clearly makes them stand out from other Lithuanian law firms. The lawyers are experienced, fast to react, very responsive, client-orientated and helpful in stressful situations. They provide valuable advice on daily corporate matters and are excellent for negotiating and drafting any commercial agreements.’
‘The law firm has always been renowned for its experience in aviation and has been known historically in the aviation market as the legal advisor of many major Lithuanian airlines, financiers and lessors. I would say their extensive experience in the aviation market makes them a unique law firm in Lithuania. They are particularly good in managing complex international high-value transactions. The lawyers are professional, very responsive, fast to react, client-orientated and always provide quality services for a reasonable price.’
‘The lawyers are quick to react, provide efficient services, valuable insights and result-orientated legal advice. They are particularly strong in aviation-related matters, very experienced in providing legal advice to the largest aviation holdings in the market. They advise us not only on legal, but also on insurance, tax and all other transaction-related issues.’
‘Gintautas Sulija is an experienced professional, very diligent, praised for his deep knowledge base, has a great background of advising many companies on the most complicated high-value transactions involving many jurisdictions and international financiers. I believe he is the best in Lithuania for all commercial matters related to aviation.’
AB “AviaAM Leasing”
UAB GetJet Airlines
Investec Bank Plc
UAB Grand Cru Airlines
Northern Aviation Management Limited
Aeroassets Management Limited
Airhub Airlines Limited
Dikkys Investments Limited
Lampe & Schwartze K.G.
Jet Maintenance Solutions
Arius Avia Limited
- Advised UAB GetJet Airlines on acquisition and receiving financing for three Airbus A320 aircraft.
- Advised Airhub Aviation Limited on receiving financing from Appel Bank for Savings regarding acquisition of the three Diamond Aircraft and one flight simulator.
- Advised GetJet airlines on leasing of six A320, two A319 and one A330 aircraft from the various international lessors based in Ireland and Cyprus.
Cobalt is the leading firm in the Lithuanian aviation sector, counting AirBaltic and Riga International Airport as clients. The team is also skilled in matters concerning road, rail and sea transport, primarily focusing on cargo-related disputes, vehicle acquisitions and transport infrastructure projects. Practice head Gatis Flinters is an expert in corporate, commercial, financing and restructuring issues. Ģirts Lejiņš handles the dispute resolution side of the practice and is also an expert in financing work. Senior associate Mārtiņš Aljēns is another key name for contentious work.
Other key lawyers:
Ģirts Lejiņš; Mārtiņš Aljēns
Kuehne + Nagel, UAB
Alpi Baltika, UAB
Lithuanian National Road Carriers Association LINAVA
TOKIO MARINE KILN INSURANCE LIMITED
UAB “BTL Group
Riga International Airport
AB Lietuvos geležinkeliai
Scania CV AB
- Advised KUEHNE + NAGEL on the import and sale of cargo from YANAGI ENTERPRISE CO., LTD.
- Advised TOKIO MARINE KILN INSURANCE LIMITED before the court in a civil case in which the claimant UAB “Balux“ submitted a claim against the client regarding cargo damage.
- Advised ERA Holdings on a sale-purchase agreement of a yacht “Oceandrive”.
Ellex has a standout strength in handling technology issues connected with the shipping and transport industry, with its client roster including ride-hailing app Bolt. The team has also been working on the implementation of smart public transport systems in Vilnius. Team head Dovilė Greblikienė is highly experienced in advising on transport regulations and commercial agreements. Other key members include Ramunas Petravicius, who is an expert in infrastructure projects and aviation finance specialist Giedrius Stasevicius. Vilija Vaitkute Pavan is experienced in contentious issues.
Other key lawyers:
Ramunas Petravicius; Giedrius Stasevicius; Vilija Vaitkute Pavan
‘The shipping and transport (particularly the aviation) team of Ellex is highly qualified, cooperative, business-minded and proactive. The whole team embraces clients to feel confident and taken care of.’
‘Very responsive and helpful.’
‘Quick in dealing with issues and good, clear advice. ’
‘Great knowledge and professionalism makes Ellex team the reliable choice for legal matters in shipping and transport industry.’
Girteka Logistics, UAB
Klaipedos nafta, AB
Abeking & Rasmussen Schiffs – und Yachtwerft SE
Arrival Line, UAB
SĮ „Susisiekimo paslaugos“
Engine Lease Finance Corporation
AerCap Ireland Limited
DSV Lithuania UAB
AB ORLEN Lietuva
Avion Express UAB
Klaipeda Seaport Authority
- Advised Susisiekimo paslaugos on the procurement and installation of a smart public transportation information system.
- Assisting companies operating in the aviation industry on various aircrafts and its parts (e.g. engine) leasing, security and aircraft damage.
- Advised Bolt on the launch of its food delivery service called Bolt Food in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
Primus Derling's team is notably adept at handling insurance issues, cargo claims, various disputes, procurement and commercial issues for transport and logistics companies. Managing Partner Robert Juodka heads up the shipping and transport practice in the Vilnius office with wide-ranging experience in other fields of law. In disputes he is supported by associate partner Artūras Gutauskas.
Other key lawyers:
‘Team is very motivated, committed to results and trying their best to make the customer successful. ’
‘They are always friendly and some of them are speaking my mother tongue – it makes it very easy to communicate.’
‘Primus Derling has customer-friendly approach; they react very quickly, in a comfortable way of communication, they present practical point of view; they advise not only about legal rules but what is important and unique about practical aspects, how to fulfil legal obligations in order to simplify business life in foreign countries.’
‘High responsibility, professionalism and excellent communication’
‘High level of attention and value-based approaches’
PKP Energetyka SA
Trelleborg Marine Systems/Trelleborg Offshore & Construction
TUiR WARTA S.A
- Advised Lux Express on regulatory matters of intra city long haulage passenger transportation by busses in Lithuania.
- Advising and representing Schenker regarding transport and shipping regulation in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus and Ukraine.
- Advised the Polish Railroads electrification company PKP Energetyka on a public procurement bid.
Ramanauskas and Partners
Ramanauskas and Partners is a specialist shipping boutique based in the port city of Klaipeda. Its team's expertise covers a full spectrum of both contentious and non-contentious matters, often concerning insurance claims, bankruptcies, civil and criminal proceedings, as well as arbitration. Managing partner Vytautas Ramanauskas, who is notably strong in arbitration, leads the practice.
Sorainen has advised on key instructions in the market, including the historic greenfield railway project Rail Baltica, as well as AirBaltica’s €200m issuance of bonds to JP Morgan. Valts Nerets is an expert in disputes, ship arrests, vessel transactions and registrations, and shipbuilding contracts. Another key name is Ieva Andersone, who has been assisting transport companies with competition and regulatory assistance, most notably assisting with the regulatory implications of driverless vehicles. Daivis Švirinas and senior associate Vaiva Mašidlauskienė are also recommended.
Daivis Švirinas; Vaiva Mašidlauskienė
Other key lawyers:
Valts Nerets; Ieva Andersone
Lietuvos geležinkeliai (Lithuanian railways)
Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania
Airbnb Ireland UC
Nissan Nordic Europe Oy
Willis Lease Finance Corporation
Thomas Cooper LLP
Wizz Air Hungary Ltd.
- Advised Lietuvos geležinkeliai on tender procedures and signing a purchase contract to electrify a major railway infrastructure corridor in Lithuania, with the benefits valued more than €1 billion.
- Represented Transinesta in a case against Lithuanian Transport and Safety Authority authority before Lithuanian Competition Council.
- Advised Google on the implementation of certain activities related to Google Street View project.
TGS Baltic has expertise in contentious and non-contentious matters, primarily involving road and rail shipping. The team’s current workload involves cargo recovery disputes, the financing of transport vehicles, commercial agreements and public procurement. Managing partner Ivars Grunte leads the team and is supported by Sandis Petrovičs, both of whom are particularly strong in cargo damage and compensation claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘TGS Baltics has in-depth knowledge of energy projects management. Its understanding of the field reaches far beyond just legal advice but much more.’
‘Real experts in the field, which provides different perspectives on the matter and helps to achieve the best business results.’
Klaipėda State Seaport Authority
The Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania
- Advised DHL Logistics Lietuva on a cargo compensation claim case.
- Advised the Ministry of Transport on a dispute with Lithuanian company UAB Vitras-S, which arose after UAB Vitras-S won a public tender organized by state-owned railways company Lithuanian Railways.
- Provided a wide range of legal advice to Lithuanian airports related to the Vilnius Airport overhaul.
WALLESS is notably strong at handling commercial, procurement and employment issues for transport and logistics companies. Its team also has ‘outstanding knowledge of complex issues regarding maritime law’. Sintija Radionova and Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja jointly head up the team, with Radionova working on commercial, employment and tax issues. Gaigule-Šāvēj focuses on procurement contracts concerning the rail industry. A recent highlight involved advising on the purchase of electric trains for Rail Baltica.
Sintija Radionova; Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja
‘Walless has a big and versatile team which can help our company on every matter, whether it would be shipping and transport, construction or PPP practice. ‘
‘The team is very involved in every matter, it seems that everyone in the firm adds some of their best qualities and it’s assured that the best outcome and solution is provided. ’
‘Laura Ziferman has outstanding knowledge of FIDIC contracts.’
Aviation Capital Group (ACG)
GE Capital Aviation Services (GECAS)
Erste Group Bank AG
Danish Air Transport
Vilnius City Municipality
Avation Denmark Leasing
- Advised Avolon from the perspective of the laws of Lithuania in connection with closing fixed rate notes.
- Advised the consortium of Spanish companies Elecnor and Abengoa on a contract with Lithuania’s state-owned railway company Lietuvos Gelezinkeliai for electrification of the Vilnius railway hub and the Kaisiadorys-Klaipeda railway
- Advised GE on the proposed sale of aircraft portfolio for Lithuania-based airline related company
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) focuses on commercial and regulatory issues across road, rail, sea and air transport. Rail transport has been a key area of focus due its current work on Rail Baltica. Practice head Sigitas Groblys has broad capbilities in corporate, real estate and construction.
Volvo Financial Services
- Advising in a greenfield rail transport infrastructure project Rail Baltica.
- Advising and drafting of the Notified Body Contract for assessment of compliance of certain systems of Rail Baltica high speed railway line.
- Advised Containerships on a new type of ground transportation agreement to be applicable with local road carriers and subcontractors.
Triniti Jurex Law Firm
Triniti Jurex Law Firm's team is well-versed in handling transport-related disputes arising from cargo loss or damage, and it recently handled a Supreme Court case involving the CRM convention. Elsewhere, the team also has strong capabilities in advisory work, mainly involving construction and development. The team is led by Jelena Cvirko, who focuses on issues pertaining to road transport, and Artūras Vaišvila, who is an expert in handling issues involving road construction.
Jelena Cvirko; Artūras Vaišvila
‘I am very pleased with the services provided by Triniti Jurex. They very quickly helped us with rearranging our long-distance drivers’
‘I am very happy to work with Jelena Cvirko, I trust her work 100%. She is professional, accurate and very responsible, I am always sure we will not miss any deadline and will be prepared for any legislation or requirement change on time and with precise accuracy. I value very much professional insights from Artūras Vaišvila.’
‘We work with JUREX team for several years already, I trust this law firm. They are always reachable and friendly.’
‘I work with Jelena Cvirko. She is very professional and knows her job very well. I fully rely on her advice and services’
- Representing P&C Insurance in a transport dispute against KRASTA Auto Vilnius and THERMO KING cargo damage.
- Representing Ipek Trade in a cross-border maritime law dispute against DHL Logistics Lietuva and Mearsk Line related to a shipping accident.
- Acted for Megatex LLC in a cross-border case over lost cargo.
Transport is a key area of strength at Verum Law, where the team is led by managing partner Mindaugas Šimkūnas. Šimkūnas is experienced in cargo damage claims, and he is knowledgeable about matters involving road, sea and air travel.
UAB DHL logistics
UAB Nunner Logistics
UAB Rhenus logistics
UAB Itella Logistics
UAB ACE logistics
UAB Baltic Shipping Centre
UAB SLP Logistic
Lineka, Lietuvos nacionalinė ekspeditorių ir logistų asociacija
- Advised Laika logistics on a cross-border cargo damage claim.
- Acted for Girteka Cargo in a cross-border cargo damage claim.
- Represented Autolink Rail in a compensation for damages claim involving two cars burned during road transportation.