Averus, which has a first-rate reputation in the transport arena, has been particularly active in matters arising from the crisis facing the aviation sector as a result of Covid-19. Also notable is that the team has handled insurance and compensation claims in the maritime sector, as well as advising on public procurement issues surrounding the rail and shipping sectors. The practice is jointly led by Regina Derkintytė-Kaupienė in Klaipėda and Vilnius-based managing partner Laura Čereškaitė-Kinčiuvienė, who is a leading name in the aviation sector. Clients also benefit from the expertise of senior associates Greta Motiejuniene, who primarily focuses on bankruptcy law, and Ignas Kerbelis, who specialises in shipping disputes.
Shipping and transport in Lithuania
‘Trustworthy, good sense of urgency and charge a fair price’
‘Boutique law firm offering legal services in niche practice areas, such as aircraft leases, aircraft deliveries and complex joint venture set-ups.’
‘Laura Cereskaite-Kinciuviene is transparent and collaborative in everything she does, from pricing to delivery. We felt heard in any ideas we were bringing on the table. Last but not least, we always had great client experience dealing with Laura and Averus.’
‘Averus team are true executers and trusty partners, which is very rare in this world. They are target-driven, well focused on the essential major items, very precise in risk assessment for any situation or when accepting compromises, taking the leadership to close the global deals, very rational and professional, providing high quality services even within very tight timeframes. They have never missed a single deadline or asked for an extension.’
‘Working with Averus created a feeling, that they are just standing beside You in every minute. Not a single moment, where we have felt, that processes are somehow stuck or Averus don’t have time for us because of other responsibilities. Very professional service!’
‘Every AVERUS attorney I have worked with focuses on a fast solution that best serves the interests of the client. It is a pleasure working with innovative young minds, are efficient, creative and bold. I find it practical, to have an easy way to communicate in any likeable platform or chat.’
‘Regina stands out from other lawyers in the market – she is very competent, reliable and ready to work 24/7 in case you have urgent issues.’
Danes perlas, UAB
VLL Group, UAB
Baltijos pervežimai, UAB
Magnetic Parts Trading Limited
SIA Marine Underwriting Services
Scania Finans Aktiebolag Lietuvos filialas
Lithuanian Pilot association
Gartruda, UAB, OJ Crew
MK shipping, UAB
Nurminen Maritime, UAB
Litana ir Ko, UAB
MAI Baltics, UADBB
SIA SOL S
Marine Legal Bureau OÜ
Association for vehicle importers from USA
Rhenus svoris, UAB
SIDC PASSER GROUP, UAB
Compensa Vienna Insurance Group
Belintertrans Baltic UAB
GeMi Boats Production UAB
NORDIC YACHT SUPPLY UAB
ERGO Insurance SE Lietuvos filialas
AV Logistics, OOO
First Logistics, UAB
Jupoja export UAB
JSC Europe stabilizers UAB
Diesel Service Group UAB
CF&S Lithuania UAB
Fargo Line, UAB
- Advised Heston Aviation on establishing a new start-up airline, forming alliance with one of the major aircraft lessors, signing first aircraft leases.
- Advised Aero Norway, an engines repair organisation, as a major creditor on Avion Express insolvency and restructuring case.
- Represented SCANIA Lietuva in a litigation process with local public transport provider regarding tender for purchase of electric city buses (value over €10m).
Ellex recently represented the Lithuanian government at the Court of Justice of the European Union in relation to the provisions of the Mobility Package potentially violating the EU law. The team has also been very active in the digitalisation of transport, advising on smart public transport systems, assisting the Baltic’s leading taxi app Bolt, and working with BMW on new automation products. The team is led by Dovile Greblikiene, who specialises in trade regulations. Other names to note include Ramunas Petravicius, who focuses on transport infrastructure, aviation finance specialist Giedrius Stasevicius and transport disputes expert Vilija Vaitkute Pavan.
‘Highly qualified and cooperative team (aviation practice).’
‘Ieva Dosinaite (Partner) is very observant, operative and qualified. Proactive and business oriented legal advice allowed us to feel confident and taken care of.’
‘Ellex provides good, clear, high-quality advice.’
‘Ellex in Lithuania has a diverse team working on shipping and transport matters that unites associates with a variety of backgrounds. For example, lawyers from the dispute resolution team deal with shipping and transport-related disputes, lawyers from the regulatory and industry team deal with shipping and transport related regulatory issues, and so on. Ellex in Lithuania is therefore able to form truly interdisciplinary teams that fit best for a specific situation or deal.’
‘The lawyers of Ellex in Lithuania are true leaders in the transport sector and other infrastructure practice areas having the highest industry knowledge compared to other law firms.’
Girteka Logistics, UAB
Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Lithuania
Klaipedos nafta, AB
Abeking & Rasmussen Schiffs – und Yachtwerft SE
Arrival Line, UAB
SĮ „Susisiekimo paslaugos“
Engine Lease Finance Corporation
AerCap Ireland Limited
DSV Lithuania UAB
AB ORLEN Lietuva
Avion Express UAB
Klaipeda Seaport Authority
Baltic Sea Properties
- Advised the Republic of Lithuania in the case brought before the Court of Justice of the European Union against the provisions of the Mobility Package potentially violating the EU law.
- Advised BMW during the reporting year of 2020/2021 re the legal issues related to BMW and MINI digitalization projects.
- Advised Baltic Sea Properties from the beginning of the projects on developing large-scale transport logistics facilities.
Sorainen has a well-established presence in the rail, aviation and automotive sectors. Its work covers matters concerning electric vehicles, state aid, aircraft leasing and infrastructure development contracts. Daivis Švirinas advises on competition and regulatory matters, with expertise in EU law and public procurement. He co-heads the practice with senior associate Vaiva Mašidlauskienė, who specialises in commercial contracts and trade law matters.
‘Sorainen are a fantastic legal outfit covering a highly specialised corporate sector in Lithuania. Their knowledge of the market is remarkable. They are very helpful and often taking the lead to find the best and most cost effective way of achieving the client’s goal.’
‘They have a good network of support within their teams who complement their legal capabilities very nicely and making it easier to partner with in legal bids brining that extra bit of local expertise with high professionalism. They are highly reliable and do not step back on, quite often, the verge of tight deadlines.’
‘Vaiva Masidlauskiene (of counsel) is easy to work with and responds swiftly to any enquiry.’
Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania
Nissan Nordic Europe Oy
Lithuanian autoentrepreneurs association
Wizz Air Hungary Ltd.
Willis Lease Finance Corporation
Nissan Nordic Europe Oy
Starmac Aircraft Opportunity II DAC
Kelių priežiūra AB
- Advised the Council of Europe Development Bank on providing funding to Kauno autobusaito purchase 100 new solo hybrid buses.
- Assisted the Lithuanian Autoentrepreneurs Association with matters related to the changed regulation of registration of transport vehicles in Lithuania.
- Advised Lietuvos geležinkeliai ‒ the largest state-owned railway company in the Baltics in the dispute with the Communications Regulatory Authority of the Republic of Lithuania(CRA).
Equally strong in both contentious and non-contentious matters, Cobalt primarily focuses on work connected with roads, as well as the maritime and aviation industries. Its workload covers advice on cargo compensation claims, customs procedures and commercial agreements. Team head Vaidas Mackonis counts Kuehne + Nagel as a key client. Mackonis specialises in transport law, with additional strengths in adjacent areas such as environmental and infrastructure law.
‘They have a great team.’
‘They know our business very well, especially Vaidas Mackonis.’
Kuehne + Nagel, UAB
Alpi Baltika, UAB
Lithuanian National Road Carriers Association LINAVA
TOKIO MARINE KILN INSURANCE LIMITED
UAB “BTL Group“/ UAB “Baltic transline” / UAB “Baltic transline transport”
Riga international airport
AB Lietuvos geležinkeliai
Scania CV AB
Air Baltic Corporation A/S
- Advised KUEHNE + NAGEL on a dispute concerning an improper customs clearance operation.
- Represented TOKIO MARINE KILN INSURANCE LIMITED in a civil case regarding the damage caused by a fire during the carriage of goods in Belgium.
- Advised ERA Holdings on the conclusion of a sale-purchase agreement of a yacht “Oceandrive”.
PRIMUS Law Firm
PRIMUS Law Firm's standing in the transport arena is reflected by its work for multinational car manufacturers, shipping companies and airlines, among various other clients. Clients turn to the firm for advice on matters such as cargo claims, competition compliance, the implementation of business models in Lithuania and customs warehousing. Robert Juodka and Tomas Venckus co-head the practice, which distinguishes itself in cross-border work. The team advises ELKE Grupp on road transport regulation, public procurement, financing, GDPR, employment law, among other areas.
Robert Juodka; Tomas Venckus
Other key lawyers:
Jonas Platelis; Paulius Docka; Greta Bagdanavičiūtė; Jaroslav Pavlovskij
CONTAINERSHIPS CMA CGM GmbH
Toyota, Lexus (ELKE Grupi AS)
PKP Energetyka SA
Dobeles Dzirnavnieks (Tartu Mill group)
- Advised DB Schenker on transport law, disputes, management issues and matters of customswarehousing in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Belarus and Ukraine.
- Advised CONTAINERSHIPS CMA CGM Gmbh on transport law, including transport relateddisputes and shipping law.
- Advised Michelin on transport law, transport and tyre safety regulation and related matters.
TGS Baltic's shipping and transport practice comprises an integrated team of specialists operating in areas such as corporate, commercial, projects, finance, competition, employment and tax. Dispute resolution is another cornerstone of the work undertaken by the firm, which generates mandates from clients such as international shipping companies, insurance companies and financial institutions. Gytis Kaminskas, who jointly leads the practice with Žydrūnė Stuglytė, is highly skilled in cross-border disputes and is active in international arbitration. Managing partner Vilius Bernatonis is another key individual.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gytis Kaminskas leads this practice. Dovile Armalyte is also a very good specialist and litigator.’
Klaipėda State Seaport Authority
The Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Lithuania
Avia Solutions Group
DHL Logistics Lithuania
Europiir Logistics OU
- Advised LTG Infra, a state-owned railway company of Lithuania, responsible for managing country’s railway infrastructure network, in several complex civil cases with contractors.
- Represented an Estonian logistics company Europiir Logistics OU as a respondent in a civil dispute initiated by the claimant Ukrainian company Importerra.
- Provided legal advice and consultancy services as well as represents in various disputes related to the Vilnius Airport overhaul.
Aviation is a particular area of strength at WALLESS, whose team is experienced in advising on the financing, leasing and purchase of aircraft. Elsewhere, it is also sought after in matters concerning rail and road transport, particularly in relation to the public procurement of infrastructure projects. The group is led by aviation expert Gediminas Reciunas and Laura Ziferman , who specialises in procurement.
Other key lawyers:
Marius Dobilas; Enrika Tamasauskaite
‘Walless legal advice is reliable and to the point. We use Walless services in the aviation sector and have found the law firm to understand the aviation business very well.’
‘Gediminas Reciunas has profound knowledge of aviation and thus is able to provide legal advice without us having to explain any of the business aspects, for which legal advice is needed.’
Aviation Capital Group
Civil Aviation Association (in Lithuania)
Instalaciones Inabensa S.A.
- Advising UAB Girteka Logistics on its debt financing by Credit Suisse AG, together with a selected group of international banks, of purchase of new trucks and trailers in the scope of the company’s fleet renewal and expansion project.
- Advised a consortium of Elecnor S.A. and Instalaciones Inabensa S.A. in the implementation of a contract for electrification works of railway section Vilnius-Klaipeda.
- Advised Leonhard Weiss OÜ on the implementation of a contract for reconstruction of railway section Palemonas-Kaunas of Rail Baltica.
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius
Šulija Partners Law Firm Vilnius is highlighted for its significant foothold in the aviation industry and counts Macquarie AirFinance as one of its clients. The team has experience of advising clients on the financing and purchase of aircraft, as well as assisting with infrastructure issues, such as those concerning airports and hangars. Managing partner Gintautas Šulija leads the team and is noted his expertise in aviation transactions. Senior associate Eduard Plesak provides ‘precise legal advice and is also recommended for fast and effective dispute resolution‘.
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the best law firms for aviation in Lithuania and possesses in-depth knowledge of the aviation market and valuable experience on numerous complex international transactions. The firm develops a strong relationship with its client and the lawyers are professional and reliable. The firm advised us for many years and we are happy to continue our cooperation.’
‘A team of experienced lawyers assisting in various disputes across the world, mostly specialising in aviation and other commercial matters. They establish a close connection with their client and provide top class legal services. The firm has recently expanded its list of foreign international law firms they work with’
‘Gintautas Šulija has strong international experience and is great for negotiating with foreign business partners and international finance corporations. He has in-depth knowledge of the aviation business.’
‘Senior associate Eduard Plešak provides precise legal advice and is also recommended for fast and effective dispute resolution.’
‘They have deep understanding of the business, provide efficient and results-oriented legal advice. The combination of their in-depth market knowledge and negotiation skills assists us greatly with any international aviation transactions. They also provide general daily corporate and tax advice.’
‘Dr Gintautas Sulija is the primary attorney we work with. He is very experienced, has a great background of advising many companies on the most complicated high-value transactions involving many jurisdictions and international financiers and is thus in my opinion the best lawyer in Lithuania for aviation transactions. Also, he is a great negotiator that would want to have on your side when it comes to dealing with business partners.’
‘We also occasionally work with attorney Eduard Plešak on various transactional and compliance matters. He shows deep understanding of our needs, addresses our concerns efficiently and is very helpful.’
AB “AviaAM Leasing”
UAB “GetJet Airlines”
Investec Bank Plc
UAB Grand Cru Airlines
Northern Aviation Management Limited
Aeroassets Management Limited
Airhub Airlines Limited
Dikkys Investments Limited
Lampe & Schwartze K.G.
Jet Maintenance Solutions
Arius Avia Limited
UAB “Plieniniai sparnai”
- Advised Macquaire AirFinance (servicer to UMB Bank National Association, not in its individual capacity, but solely as owner trustee) and a subsidiary of Castlelake, L.P. inrestructuring of Lithuanian airline UAB “Avion Express”.
- Advised Airhub Aviation Limited and a local airline UAB “GetJet Airlines” on the financing of 2 Diamond DA40NG and 1 Diamond DA42-VI aircraft and 1 Diamond Convertible Flight Simulator provided by Apple Bank for Savings.
- Assisted a Cypriot company Toncrest Ltd. and prepared transactional documents for the sale of one Boeing 737-400 registered in Greece to Frontera Flight Holdings, Inc., a company established in Dover, USA.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)'s team has broad expertise in commercial and regulatory matters in the aviation, road, rail and shipping sectors. The team is led by Sigitas Groblys and Justinas Usonis, with the latter practitioner assisting a number of logistics companies with issues over the EU mobility package.
MOFFATT & NICHOL
- Advised the Lithuanian National Road Carriers’ Association and provided guidelines for implementation of EU Mobility Package 1 in Lithuanian road transport sector.
- Advising RB Rail, a multi-national joint venture of the Republics of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, which has been established to implement Rail Baltica – the first pan-Baltic railroad infrastructure project of its kind.
- Advised Moffatt & Nichol, a US-based global infrastructure company specializing in the planning and design of facilities of coastlines, harbours and rivers, on corporate commercial matters through public procurement arrangements in Lithuania.
Triniti Jurex Law Firm's shipping and transport team advises clients on matters such as competition-related damages actions, claims arising from shipping accidents and the implementation of the EU Mobility Package. Artūras Vaišvila leads the team and is particularly skilled in handling cross-border disputes involving the CRM convention. Jurgita Judickienė is another respected litigator.
Other key lawyers:
Jurgita Judickienė; Olga Siomina; Laima Čekanauskaitė
‘High level of competence and experience, all-in-one legal solution to customer.’
‘Good knowledge of sector.’
‘Always focuses on the end result, offers the most optimal solution to the problem. Strengths: speed, efficiency, focus on dispute prevention.’
‘Professional lawyers and specialists in their field.’
If P&C Insurance
All Time group
- Acts as the main legal adviser to Asstra Group.
- Acted for Megatex LLC in a cross-border case over lost cargo. The case reached the Supreme Court of Lithuania. The case was heard by an extended panel of judges. As a result, common practice and interpretation of the “single treaty” of the CMR Convention has been developed.
Transport law is a core area of focus at Verum Law, which excels in advising clients on disputes concerning payment issues, as well as the theft, loss or damage to cargo. The team is skilled in both litigation and arbitration and counts DHL as a key client. Managing partner Mindaugas Šimkūnas, who leads the practice, recently acted for a Lithuanian transport company in a cassation case heard before the Supreme Court of Lithuania. Albertas Buta is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘The whole process from finding out the customer problem to invoicing for the services is very simple and straightforward. All processes are digitized, flexible and customer-oriented. We always get the best results by cooperating with this company.’
‘This company is exclusively focused on transport and logistics law. Often, other law firms has only one specialist or several specialists on these topics, but this company specializes specifically in this area and its focus is all on clients speciific needs. Therefore, there is no doubt that a specialized company will help and be able to find the best solutions in this area.’
‘I am very pleased with the quality of their work and the quick response to our questions or problems. I believe that it would be important for the potential clients to know that the team is not only strong in the transport law sector, but could also assist in other areas, for example contractual law or litigation.’
‘It is good to know that if any legal problem arises, we know whom to call. It is very important for me that the VERUM team is very approachable and since it is not a very big law firm, I know that the legal problems will be solved by professional attorneys or several assistants they have.’
‘Professional team, working in many areas of law. We like the personal service and deep analysis of each case. It doesn’t matter if it is a big or small case, big or small loss.’
‘I like the personal service, good attitude, detailed explanations and consulting in each case. I work with Mr. Albertas Buta mostly in transport and freight forwarding law. Had many cases and all of them ended in well because of Albertas’ good knowledge and help.’
UAB DHL logistics
UAB Nunner Logistics
UAB Rhenus logistics
UAB Itella Logistics
UAB ACE logistics
UAB Baltic shipping centre
Lineka, Lietuvos nacionalinė ekspeditorių ir logistų asociacija
Transfera Logistics, OU
- Represented MYLIOS in a cassation case before The Supreme Court of Lithuania.
- Represented Laika logistics in a complex case with international elements due to the theft of cosmetics cargo against two carriers one of which is from United Kingdom and another one is from Lithuania.
- Represented Breitto in a pre-trial dispute against the 2nd forwarder in due to the compensation of demurrage of three high cube containers left uncollected by the consignee due to the government actions in the port of Lagos, Nigeria.