Ellex's 'business-minded' projects and energy practice is active in public and private energy infrastructure projects across the Baltic region. The firm is particularly active in oil, nuclear energy and electricity projects. Jaunius Gumbis and 'the highly skilled' Dovile Greblikiene both lead the team. In a notable mandate, Greblikiene and others are advising LITGRID on the synchronisation of electricity networks across continental Europe. Gumbis advises on non-contentious energy regulatory issues, and is also active in regulatory disputes. He has a focus on district heating, EU energy regulation and energy-related competition matters. Senior associate Edvinas Beikauskas is knowledgeable about domestic and EU regulatory issues associated with renewable energy and natural gas.
Projects and energy in Lithuania
‘The projects and energy team of Ellex is really experienced, and combines legal knowledge with an understanding of the specifics of the energy sector. Also, this team has very good project and time-management skills, this really helps for in-house peers’
‘Ellex attorneys possess exceptional knowledge and expertise in energy markets, operational developments and day-to-day business of energy undertakings. This enables them to provide tailor-made legal and regulatory solutions for our activities.’
‘I have been working with Ellex for more than 15 years. I would like to highlight the outstanding performance of the team: they are business minded, have deep understanding of client needs and have international competence.’
‘I would like to highlight Dovilė Grėblikienė. She does not just have deep legal knowledge and experience in this field but also she takes great care of the customer, takes a deep look at customer’s needs and is good at time- management’
‘Arnoldas Puodzius at Ellex is an outstanding lawyer who is always ready to solve complex matters with unconventional solutions. He is practically irreplaceable in complicated energy regulatory disputes and high-profile transactions.
‘Edvinas Beikauskas at Ellex is a rising star with perfect knowledge of renewable energy matters.’
‘Dovile Greblikiene has extremely good knowledge of the industry, is reliable and offers practical solutions. She is a highly-skilled adviser with broad experience, considerable awareness of clients and a solution-oriented approach. You can hardly find another lawyer so devoted to the client.’
Newsec Property Management LT, UAB
Eesti Gaas AS
Coral energy PTE LTD
- Advised Imlitex regarding LNG re-gasification in Klaipeda LNG terminal and transportation of natural gas to Latvian customers.
- Providing assistance to Veolia group on overall issues of client’s Alytus heating sector agreement and activity based on it.
- Advised Klaipedos nafta AB on structuring the transaction for acquisition of FSRU and coordination of massive state aid with the European Commission.
Sorainen acts on infrastructure and energy projects throughout Belarus and the wider Baltic region, with the team jointly led by Daivis Švirinas and Aušra Mudėnaitė. Mudėnaitė is representing petrol station chain Alauša in a high-profile planning dispute with the Ministry of Transport and Communications and Lithuanian Road Administration in connection with the Via Baltica highway. Counsel Asta Augutytė-Rapkevičienė has experience of working on various projects, including the development of railways in Lithuania.
‘The Sorainen team includes experienced experts and stands out as excellent project managers. I think the team should be valued by their extensive expertise, which includes not only legal but also business advice. Sorainen could be a one stop shop for us, they provide us services not only Energy law services, but also Competition and Dispute resolution. It is a pleasure to work with Sorainen.’
‘Partner Daivis Svirinas heads the team, he is really professional and has a deep knowledge of the industry. I always value his business sector approach and deep tailored consultations.’
British American Tobacco
- Advising EBRD on a second loan to Modus Group for the construction of biogas power plants in Belarus.
- Advised Transinesta on a complaint to the Competition Council over market closure in the long-distance passenger transportation market.
- Advised RB Rail, the central coordinator for the Rail Baltica project, on legal procedures related to changes in concept design of the railway within the Republic of Lithuania and in other cross-border areas.
Fielding 'strong experts in energy law', TGS Baltic advises clients on matters such as the development of nuclear power plants, LNG terminals and the energy efficient modernisation of apartment buildings. Team head Vilius Bernatonis is advising Klaipėdos nafta on matters related to the long-term use of the LNG terminal in Lithuania. 'Timely and efficient advice' is also provided by Paulius Zapolskis, particularly in relation to both energy disputes and transactions. Darius Miniotas left the firm.
‘The team has strong experts in energy law, who are involved in the biggest energy projects in Lithuania.’
‘Timely and efficient advice by Paulius Zapolskis and Vilius Bernatonis.’
European Investment Bank
Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Lithuania
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant
AB ORLEN Lietuva
- Advising Lietuvos energija on the modernisation of the district heating sector in Vilnius and Kaunas.
- Assisted Lithuanian Airports with several complex public procurement matters relating to the development of infrastructure projects.
- Assisting the Alytus City Municipality and UAB Alytaus šilumos tinklai with the takeover after lease of the heat/electricity infrastructure and ensuring of the continuous supply of heat and hot water.
Cobalt's team assists Lithuanian and international companies with infrastructure and energy projects. The team is led by Simona Oliškevičiūtė-Cicėnienė, who advised Lithuanian Railways on a planned brownfield project to convert over 33 hectares of territory near Vilnius train station into an integrated, mixed-use transport (train and bus), services and office hub. Artūras Kojala is also recommended.
RB Rail AS
- Advised UniCredit Leasing Lithuania Branch on the financing of the development and takeover of a biofuel power plant in Visaginas.
- Acting for Amberwind UAB on the development and post-development activities of a 73.5 MW wind power park, which is the largest in Lithuania.
- Advised BaltCap Infrastructure Fund (a fund managed by private equity and venture capital funds manager BaltCap) on its investment in a real estate development to be leased to Queen Morta school and Childhood Garden pre-school.
Robert Juodka heads up the team at Primus Derling, which handles transactions and regulatory matters for domestic and regional clients in the energy and natural resources arena. In 2019, Juodka advised Honeywell on a product safety issue concerning an industrial gas valve. Tomas Venckus is active in infrastructure and energy projects. Senior associate Jaroslav Pavlovskij is also recommended.
SBA Group / Mebelain
- Successfully represented Yokogawa in court litigation, which was centred on a public procurement dispute with Amber Grid, the national Lithuanian gas transmission system operator.
- Acting for Rafako on the construction of a CHP power plant in Vilnius.
- Assisted Enefit with the preparation of a template Energy Savings Agreement (B2B) and advised on related regulatory matters.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)'s practice is highly reputed in oil, LNG, electricity and renewables projects. The team is led by Jonas Saladžius, who advised Fortum Heat on the development and construction of waste to energy facilities in Lithuania. In addition to being active in energy-related projects, Sigitas Groblys has experience of advising on rail infrastructure matters.
Fortum Heat Lietuva
- Providing legal advice to Fortum Heat on energy sector regulation and legislative amendments.
- Advising Fortum Klaipeda on energy sector and waste management regulation matters.
- Advising RB Rail (as coordinator) on the implementation of the strategic Rail Baltica infrastructure project in the Baltic region.
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas' practice stands out for its work in energy disputes. Illustrative of its strengths in this area, team head Gintaras Balčiūnas is representing Achema in legal disputes against the State of Lithuania and European Commission in national and EU courts. Vaidas Radvila is also recommended for his expertise in energy matters.
Concern “Achemos grupė
- Representing Achema in court proceedings concerning whether or not state aid granted to power plants producing electricity from renewable energy sources is compatible with the internal market.
- Represented Renerga in court over compensation paid to companies designated to provide public service obligations.
- Advised KLASCO on legal issues related to the development and construction of new terminals in the Port of Klaipėda.