Ellex advises on both conventional and renewable energy projects, as well as major developments of local infrastructure. The team particularly excels in contentious matters. Dovilė Greblikienė is well-versed in regulatory matters such as energy pricing, tariffs and EU compliance, and he also assists clients with administrative cases before local and European courts. Greblikiene co-heads the practice with Jaunius Gumbis, who has a similar focus on regulatory issues, most notably district heating and EU energy regulations. Senior associate Edvinas Beikauskas is also recommended.
Projects and energy in Lithuania
Dovilė Greblikienė; Jaunius Gumbis
Other key lawyers:
‘Ellex has a great team having in-depth knowledge of the field. It was very easy to navigate throughout the matters having these advisors. ’
‘We instruct Ellex’s team in really complex cases. Their ability to deconstruct them into simple stories never ceases to amaze. ’
‘Extraordinary expertise level, availability, fluency in communication, timeline keeping, the result, which often exceeds even the highest expectations.’
‘Ellex is highly professional in the area of projects and energy. I find them to be the most professional, following all the developments not only in Lithuania but also worldwide, being able to provide assistance of highest-level standards and ethics. It is the most professional company in Lithuania with in-depth specialization in energy.’
‘I mainly work with Dovile Greblikiene from Ellex, whom I find to be outstandingly professional. Her exceptionally professional approach and in-depth knowledge of legal, energy and project management areas have been a valuable asset for my organization and me. Dovile Greblikiene from Ellex always provides advise within the highest standards of form, content and timing. ’
‘Ellex Valiunas has a dedicated team of lawyers who strive to understand clients’ business needs. That what makes this practice unique. They are number one in large projects, business-minded, international competence, client understanding. They have the highest level of knowledge and perfect work ethics. ’
‘Dovile Greblikiene has extremely good know-how of the industry, is reliable and offers practical solutions. She is a highly-skilled adviser with broad experience, considerable awareness for clients, and solution-oriented approach.’
‘The main strengths of this group are great experience, very good planning, perfect process management and the true care of the customer’s issues, what all together helps to have less stress and clarity on ongoing process.’
Veolia Environnement S.A
Veolia Group (Vilniaus energija UAB)
Veolia Group (Litesko UAB)
Windfarm Akmene One, UAB
Windfarm Akmene Two, UAB
Pamario jegainiu energija, UAB
Total Marketing Service, SA
Minijos nafta, UAB
The Natural Power Consultants Limited
Idex Baltic, UAB
Orlen Lietuva, AB
Inter Rao Lietuva and Inter Rao Latvia, AB
- Assisting Veolia Environnement S.A and its Lithuanian subsidiaries with its overall disputes of heating and electricity tariffs regulation in Vilnius and other Lithuanian cities.
- Advised Windfarm Akmene on a 400 MW wind farm project.
- Advised Ørsted on its transformation from fossil fuels to renewable energy.
Sorainen is one of the largest firms in the Baltics and has the bandwidth to handle large-scale projects and corporate transactions in the energy, transport and telecoms sectors. Sergej Butov, who leads the energy team, undertakes mandates in areas such as oil and gas, LNG, solar and wind energy. Outside of energy, the team has been advising the leading local telecoms company Bite, as well as assisting with the landmark Rail Baltica project. Aušra Mudėnaitė, who heads up the real estate and construction team, is another key individual.
Sergej Butov; Aušra Mudėnaitė
Other key lawyers:
IKEA Industry Lietuva
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
The Hospital of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences
Lords LB Asset Management
Lietuvos oro uostai (Lithuanian airports)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
- Advised Lietuvos geležinkeliai on tender procedures and signing of a purchase contract to electrify a major railway infrastructure corridor in Lithuania.
- Advised Ignitis Group on the merger of its two subsidiaries VAC and IGPC.
- Advised RBRail on the Rail Baltica cross-border railway infrastructure.
According to a client, TGS Baltic is 'unique because of their competent legal experts and their deep practical knowledge of energy sector regulations - both national and international'. In a notable matter, Vilius Bernatonis and Paulius Zapolskis advised the Ministry of Energy on a dispute with Veolia over its investments into the heating sector. Elsewhere, Zapolskis is also experienced in handling energy-related commercial contracts and corporate transactions.
Vilius Bernatonis; Paulius Zapolskis
‘Their projects and energy practice is unique because of their competent legal experts and their deep practical knowledge of energy sector regulations – both national and international. This team not only sees the problems and how to fix them, but also gives the client a broader view of the possibilities that every troubled situation brings. Therefore, strategic thinking is one of the core strengths TGS Baltic is valued as a legal partner by our company .’
‘Our company values the individual and constant attention given by the partners of TGS Baltic. For instance, other law firms are sometimes waiting for your call in order to perform some task. In contrast, TGS Baltic is regularly checking on you, keeping you fully updated how your cases are going. ‘
‘In my view, TGS Baltic team represents and meets the highest legal professional standards. It is a pleasure to work with such talented, highly skilled and experienced lawyers. I hold the opinion that TGS Baltic lawyers are able to provide efficient, quick and comprehensive assistance in any legal matters at any time. This is one of the core values in our world today ’
‘During the project, the team was very responsive, provided additional explanations where the insights differed and was eager to perfect the result further.’
‘Quick accessibility, professional advice, deep knowledge of the relevant business. Their communication and strategic approaches are insightful and consistently of great assistance. Understand the client’s commercial needs.’
‘Very fast response times to our email enquiries.’
Vilniaus Šilumos Tinklai, AB
FTI France, SAS
Klaipėdos Nafta, AB
Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Lithuania
Miesto energija, UAB
- Represented AB Vilniaus šilumos tinklai and Vilnius City Municipality in arbitration proceedings before the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC).
- Advised FTI France, SAS and Litgrid, AB on developing a CRM model that fits Lithuania’s legal base.
- Main legal adviser to Klaipėdos nafta in resolving matters related to the long-term use of the LNG terminal in Lithuania.
Cobalt has expertise in transactions, joint ventures and public-private partnerships, and counts the Baltcap Infrastructure Fund as a key client. The team's workload includes rail projects and renewable energy mandates, as well as developments in healthcare and education. Simona Oliškevičiūtė-Cicėnienė, who leads the team, has expertise in real estate and construction.
RB Rail AS
Invest in Lithuania
Lords LB Asset Management
Vilniaus energija, AB
Vėjų spektras, UAB
Vėjo gūsis, UAB
Vėjo vatas, UAB
European Energy A/S
UAB “Energia futura”
- Advised Lithuanian Railways on a planned brown field project .
- Advised the BaltCap Infrastructure Fund on its investment in the real estate development to be leased to Queen Morta school and Childhood Garden pre-school.
- Advised the European Investment Bank (EIB) on a financing project consisting of the modernization of the street lighting infrastructure in Vilnius.
Primus Derling is active in key mandates across the Baltic region, including the landmark Rail Baltica project. Its has also been very active in the construction of new power plants and developments of sub sea power cables. Managing partner Robert Juodka advises on energy and infrastructure, with particular strengths in handling inbound investment transactions and working on cross-border mandates across the Baltics and wider Europe.
‘Very good knowledge of regulatory matters and teamwork.’
PKP Energetyka SA
Vestas Central Europe
Trelleborg Marine Systems/Trelleborg Offshore & Construction
Richstone Properties Ltd (UK)
PK Invest UAB
- Advice to Rafako SA on the construction of a combined heat and electricity generation power plant (CHP plant) in Vilnius.
- Advising Eesti Energia to modernise of street lighting infrastructure through energy saving company model by Tauragė regional municipality.
- Assistance in the project for electrification of the 350km long Vilnius – Klaipėda (Draugystės st.) railroad route for PKP Energetyka.
WALLESS has particular strengths in competition and regulatory work, making it well placed to handle projects involving public-private partnerships and procurement bids. Laura Ziferman undertakes a significant amount of work for energy companies and local municipalities in this space. She co-heads the group with Evaldas Klimas, who is active in construction and property-related matters. Vaidotas Puklevicius is a key name for work involving the energy sector and is currently very active in the renewables sector.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) acts for clients on mandates in both the conventional and renewable energy spheres, as well as on infrastructure projects. Managing partner Jonas Saladžius is a widely respected corporate and banking expert, with a strong background in the oil and gas sector. He jointly leads the team with Sigitas Groblys, whose strengths in M&A and construction often involve the energy sector. Both partners have been involved in the landmark Rail Baltica project.
Jonas Saladžius; Sigitas Groblys
Fortum Heat Lietuva
Fortum Joniškio energija
Fortum Švenčionių energija
- Advised Fortum Heat Lietuva on constructing and developing waste-to-energy power plant in Kaunas.
- Advising RB Rail on a greenfield rail transport infrastructure project Rail Baltica.
- Advised Euronet 360 Finance Limited on regulatory matters and branding of ATM network in Lithuania.
LEADELL Balciunas ir Grajauskas
At LEADELL Balciunas ir Grajauskas, energy disputes are a mainstay of the work, with the team's recent caseload primarily involving state aid issues. Managing partner and former minister of justice Gintaras Balčiūnas is well- versed in administrative law cases, and he has expertise in both litigation and arbitration.
‘Extensive knowledge of each industry sector and huge experience.’
Concern “ACHEMOS GRUPĖ”, Ltd.
AB “Klaipėdos jūrų krovinių kompanija” (KLASCO)
- Advised Achema on its compliance with the public service obligations regualtions.
- Advised Achema on LNG regulations.
- Advised Renerga on renewable energy regualtions.
Triniti Jurex Law Firm
Triniti Jurex Law Firm is a respected name for energy-related disputes, mostly advising on contentious issues involving compensation claims and environmental law. The team has also carved out a particular strength in advising on waste management projects. Kęstutis Žičku leads the team.
Elektrum Lietuva, UAB
NE International GmbH
- Advised Idex International during the acquisition of 90% of shares of the German and Lithuanian capital energy company Danpower Baltic.
- Advised Elektrum Lietuva on implementing new policies regarding electricity sale to households.
- Advised NE International on a wind and solar power plant project.