Transport is one of Cobalt‘s core areas of strength. The firm is frequently consulted on major current infrastructure projects and represents some of the biggest players in the region, including airBaltic, Kuehne+Nagel and Latvian Railways. The team acts on behalf of its clients in public procurement bidding, contractual negotiations and litigation. Practice head Gatis Flinters has 15 years of experience advising on transport projects in the Baltic and has extensive knowledge of local regulatory requirements. Alongside leading the transport and shipping practice, he also heads the firm’s corporate and commercial team. Transport dispute resolution expert and senior advisor, Ģirts Lejiņš, is also key to the practice.
Shipping and transport in Latvia
Other key lawyers:
Moller Baltic Import
Riga International Airport
Skultes Kokosta SIA
Baltijas Sporta Auto SIA
- Advised the Austrian company Swietelsky AG as a part of the winning consortium in the international tender for the construction of a Rail Baltica train station and related infrastructure at the Riga International Airport.
- Assisting airBaltic in contracting and negotiation matters related to development of the MRO hangar.
- Successfully represented international aviation carrier Vulkan Air OÜ in a legal action against iCotton Ltd for the recovery of liquidated damages.
Sorainen acts on some of the largest transport projects in Latvia and the Baltic region more broadly. The firm has been consulted on huge infrastructure projects such as the Kekava bypass construction and the Rail Baltica project and has also represented the Ministry of Transport in an application to the European Commission. The team, led by transport sector dispute resolution expert Valts Nerets, is also engaged by clients for shipping disputes and transport sector insolvency negotiations. Counsel and Public procurement specialist Raivo Raudzeps and senior associate Inese Heinacka, who works on the financing side, are further names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Raivo Raudzeps; Inese Heinacka; Elvis Grinbergs
‘Sorainen shipping and transport practice consists of professionals with unique experience in complex cross-border matters. They are trusted advisers in widest range of shipping and transport matters.’
‘Partner Valts Nerets excellently leads the team. Associate Elvis Grinbergs has shown himself as true professional.’
RB Rail N
A.C.B., Binders, and TIIC (Portugal), who formed the Kekava ABT consortium
Ministry of Transport of the Republic of Latvia
Pilna Servisa Līzings
- Advised on the DBFM contract with the Latvian state for the Kekava bypass on the Via Baltica route.
- Advising RB Rail AS and working with the Governments of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania on establishing a European-width fast double-track Rail Baltica railway project.
- Represents Pilna Servisa Līzings, a company offering car hire services, in numerous contractual disputes with the State Police regarding the buy-out of rented vehicles.
Ellex consistently advises large regional and Europe-wide transport companies on major M&A deals, cartel investigations matters and internal restructuring. Raimonds Slaidiņš also heads the corporate and M&A team at the firm and is highly experienced in strategic merger projects in Latvia. Daiga Zivtiņa handles dispute resolution work and has a great deal of specific experience in the shipping and transport industry, acting regularly on public procurement and insurance cases. Associate partners Maris Brizgo, a public procurement expert, and Valters Diure, an aviation specialist, are also very active in this practice area.
Other key lawyers:
Daiga Zivtiņa; Maris Brizgo; Valters Diure
Veho Oy AB
Heisterkamp Transportation Solutions
Erste Group Bank AG
Nordic Aviation Capital
Les Bergeries de Palombaggia
Volvo Trucks Corporation
- Advised on the Finnish company Veho’s acquisition of Domenikss, the general representative of Mercedes-Benz in Latvia.
- Representing Volvo Trucks corporation in follow on damages claims in Latvia in relation to European Commission decision regarding participation in trucks cartel.
- Advised Heisterkamp Transportation Solutions on appropriate application of the EU Mobility Package and its implementation in the company’s day-to-day activities and organisation of work.
Providing day-to-day support to major players in the regional transport market and engaging in complex litigation, Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns continues to be one of the frontrunners in this area. Banking and M&A lawyer, Māris Vainovskis, who has experience in ship and aircraft financing, heads up a multidisciplinary team able to draw on the resources of the international Eversheds network. Ginta Krukle has an extensive record in public law matters, and her recent work includes advising on the reform of the administration of Latvia’s ports.
Other key lawyers:
‘Competence and expertise.’
RB Rail, JSC
“Latvijas Kuģniecība” JSC, subsidiary of VITOL S.a.r.l
LSC (formerly Latvian Shipping Company)
Rīgas Satiksme, municipal JSC
- Providing day-to-day support and advice to AS RB Rail on the 3.6-billion-Euro project which involves construction of a high-speed rail line from Tallinn to the Lithuanian/Polish border by 2030.
- Successfully represented LLC LatRosTrans where the Belarusian company Druzba brought a claim against our client and requested to declare its ownership rights to oil located in a pipeline.
- Providing TNT (a delivery joint venture formed with international shipping company FedEx Express) with full-scope, daily advice on employment related matters across the Baltics.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Representing DHL, Latvian Railways and the Ministry of Transportation, among others, Kronbergs Cukste Levin has an impressive array of both private multinational and public sector clients. Practice head Vineta Cukste-Jurjeva is notable for her extensive transport law experience and long-term service to the Latvian Railways group of companies; she also acts on shipping disputes internationally, appearing at the London Commercial Court in charter agreement cases. Senior Associate Normunds Orols, a former head of investments at the Ministry of Transportation, is another key name.
Other key lawyers:
RB RIX Engineers PS
Ministry of Transportation of Latvia
Latvian Road Traffic Safety Directorate Bureau Ship Service
Latvian Passenger Rail Company
European Railway Lines (major participant in Rail Baltica project)
- Advised RB RIX Engineers PS on railway station construction for Riga Airport.
- Advised Latvian Railways on restructuring scenarios and specifically the continuation of participation in daughter companies.
- Acting for DHL on a wide array of matters, starting from contracts to disputes regarding cargo.
TGS Baltic advises many major regional companies and projects. The firm is strong in railway-related work and cargo damages and insurance claims; it also has a growing client base including major multinationals, and its sanctions work for Graanul Invest Group demonstrates its broad capabilities. Andra Rubene is a corporate partner with experience in distribution, transport, storage and logistics contractual work. Ivars Grunte works on dispute resolution, specialising in sanctions and customs work, while associate Arina Stivriņa, recommended for her ‘understandable and strategic advice‘, represents a number of large logistics and delivery companies.
Ivars Grunte; Andra Rubene; Arina Stivriņa
‘The TGS team is very professional, and their advice is highly valued.’
‘Arina Stivriņa is very professional, she gives straight-forward, understandable and strategic advice.’
AS Latvijas dzelzceļš
Imavere Shipping Company
Inchape Motors Finland
Inchape Motors Group
Latvian Hockey Federation
Graanul Invest Group
- Represented AS Latvijas Dzelzceļš (Latvian Railway) in court proceedings against the Latvian Competition Council.
- Advised Voestalpine Railway Systems GmbH and other group companies on negotiations regarding the Rail Baltica project.
- Advises Graanul Invest Group in connection with the sanctions currently imposed on shipments to Belarus and Ukraine due to of the war in Ukraine.
WALLESS handles a wide range of transport work and counts aviation, logistics and automotive companies, including the Skoda Group, among its key clients. Jointly leading the team are logistics and shipping specialist, Sintija Radionova, and Kristine Gaigule-Saveja, who is strong in public procurement matters. Senior Associate Andis Ozoliņš has been involved in a number of major projects handled by the transport practice.
Sintija Radionova; Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja
Other key lawyers:
Alpha Shipping Company SIA
Havas Latvia SIA
KOOL Latvija SIA
LSEZ Dan Store SIA
CM Biomass Partners
TAV Airport group companies, Havas group
EDGE AUTONOMY Riga, SIA (formerly UAV Factory)
Modus Group companies
- Advised Škoda Vagonka A.S on fulfilment of public procurement contract for supply of 32 electric trains according to EU law.
- Advice to TAV Airport Group companies with respect to operations in Riga International Airport.
- Day-to-day assistance for global commodity trading and logistics company CM Biomass Partners.