Shipping and transport in Latvia
Cobalt's shipping and transport practice represents airlines, railway companies, and national and international ship owners. The firm advises on disputes, transport infrastructure and customs procedures. Gatis Flinters heads the team and advises domestic and international clients. He represented A J Walter Aviation in a case against the insolvent Primera Air regarding the recovery of leased aircraft spare parts. 'Efficient' and 'goal-oriented' senior associate Martins Aljens acted as lead counsel for ferry company DFDS in a dispute with Contenedores regarding services provided and the recovery of debt.
‘Martins Aljens is extremely efficient, goal oriented and ready to come up with numerous solutions in order to protect his client’s interests.’
Vilnius Locomotive Repair Depot
Fast Shipping Ireland Ltd.
Mega Transport SIA
Moller Baltic Import
- Acting for Nutricia on the drafting of a logistics services agreement with the owner of a warehouse, which includes such items as storage and warehouse management, packaging, inventory and transportation services.
- Represented Vilnius Locomotive Repair Depot in a dispute with the owner of Baltic Locomotive Works regarding the client’s lien over the locomotives for the provided repair services.
- Advising TNT Latvia on transport law matters, handling claims for cargo loss or damage, and disputes with sub-carriers.
Sorainen's practice advises on shipbuilding disputes, the transportation of goods and infrastructure projects. Recent highlights include advising RB Rail on drafting the underlying international treaties, infrastructure management agreements and revisions to national laws that are needed for the management of the Rail Baltica cross-border railway infrastructure project. Valts Nerets, who was promoted to partner in January 2020, assists clients with shipbuilding contracts, vessel transactions and disputes. Former practice head Agris Repšs departed in January 2020.
‘The pace is what matters the most in our business, but at the same time the quality of work is of essence. I think Sorainen copes with these two challenges very well.’
‘Linda Reneslace has a professional approach.’
Nissan Nordic Europe Oy
Toyota Baltic AS
Folla Maritime Service
Ellex's shipping and transport practice assists clients with compliance, aviation finance, litigation and investment structuring. Raimonds Slaidins heads the team. In a recent highlight, he assisted Stadler Polska, Stadler Minsk and Solaris Tram in the negotiations for the supply of 12 low-floor trams for Riga. Daiga Zivtiņa is noted for handling shipping and transport disputes and is an expert in public procurement. The 'professional' Maris Brizgo is head of public procurement and experienced in the transport sector, and Peteris Dalderis is also recommended.
‘Maris Brizgo is professional and works hard. He explains the problem honestly and well.’
‘Not afraid of non-standard cases and are interested in expanding their experience.’
Nordic Aviation Capital
- Advising Avation PLC on negotiating an operating lease agreement for two Bombardier aircraft with Air Baltic Corporation.
- Representing Volvo Trucks in follow-on damages claims in Latvia in relation to the European Commission decision regarding its participation in the trucks cartel.
- Advised Siemens on a procurement and infrastructure project for Latvian railway electrification.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns' practice advises public and private sector clients on a wide variety of services in the shipping and transport sector, including public transportation, shipping and infrastructure projects. Māris Vainovskis leads the team and is noted for his experience in aviation finance and consultations on EU law in relation to transport matters. Māris Logins acts on transport projects which involve public funding.
Latvian Shipping Company
Baltijas Tranzīta Serviss
- Representing LatRosTrans in a claim brought by Druzba regarding the ownership rights to oil located in a pipeline.
- Continuing to advise Turkish Airlines’ branch in Latvia on a number of day-to-day legal matters.
- Representing Latvian shipping company Latvijas Kuģniecība and Vitol Netherlands as third parties in administrative court proceedings commenced by UBBV relating to a decision of the Latvian Financial and Capital Market Commission.
Primus Derling's practice has advised on major infrastructure projects such as the €430m Rail Baltica Riga railway bridge, railway embankment and Riga Central Station building works. Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja, who co-heads the team with Sintija Radionova, led the advice to the client, Rere Buve. Mārtiņš MežInskis and Konstantīns Teļakovs are also recommended.
Sintija Radionova; Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja
LSEZ Dan Store
Riga Airports Commercial Developments
Alpha Shipping Company
- Advised Škoda Vagonka on the public procurement procedure and supply contract with Pasažieru Vilciens (operator of suburban electrical passenger trains in Latvia) for the delivery of 32 suburban electrical passenger trains.
- Advised VGP Latvija on the acquisition of properties for the development of an industrial park and throughout the development process of the park. (AM CHECK – is it possible to clarify the shipping/transport aspects of this?)
- Advised and represented SIA “RERE BŪVE”, a member of consortium BESIX RERE GROUP in international procurement tender and contract negotiations for Rail Baltica Riga railway bridge, railway embankment and Riga Central Passenger Station complex building design development and construction works with contract value of EUR 430.5 million.
TGS Baltic's practice advises on a range of matters in the sector, including acquisitions, disputes and financing. Ivars Grunte and Andra Rubene lead the team; in a recent highlight, Rubene assisted ACE Logistics with the drafting of a template for freight forwarding and expedition services contracts. Linda Štrause is also a notable member of the team and represented the Road Traffic Safety Directorate as the contracting authority in litigation resulting from the procurement of speed camera equipment. Associate Arina Stivriņa, who joined from Triniti in July 2019, is also noted.
Ivars Grunte; Andra Rubene
Road Traffic Safety Directorate
Hafnia Member of BW Group
Uber Freight B.V.
Jyske Bank A/S
- Assisted Jyske Bank with the financing of shipping and transport operations by the establishment and deletion of a ship mortgage and change of country of registration of a ship.
- Assisted Graanul Invest group with its transportation and logistics matters in Latvia, including the acquisition and use of railway transport infrastructure.
- Assisted Volvo Lastvagnar with respect to participation in the public procurement of the State Centre for Defence Military Objects and Procurement.
VILGERTS' practice is known for its expertise in shipping and transport disputes. Gints Vilgerts and Jānis Kubilis lead the team, which represents construction companies, airlines and logistics companies. Kubilis, as head of the dispute resolution practice, is particularly strong in litigation in the sector. Both practitioners advise on the conditions for shipping, carriage and liability risks.
Gints Vilgerts; Jānis Kubilis
If P & C Insurance
Air Baltic Corporation
- Representing IF in a €1.3m shipping insurance dispute with Kuehne + Nagel Latvia.
- Represented airBaltic in a personal injury case brought by an individual who was injured during a plane landing.
- Assisting Air Baltic Corporation in a competition dispute in Lithuania with FlyLAL-Lithuanian Airlines.