Cobalt is the leading Latvian firm in the aviation sector, counting airBaltic and Riga International Airport as clients. The team is also skilled in road, rail and sea transport matters, primarily focusing on cargo-related disputes, vehicle acquisitions and transport infrastructure projects. Practice head Gatis Flinters is an expert in corporate, commercial, financing and restructuring issues in the transport sector. Ģirts Lejiņš handles the disputes side of the practice and is also an expert in financing matters.
Shipping and transport in Latvia
Other key lawyers:
Moller Baltic Import
Riga International Airport
Baltijas Sporta Auto SIA
- Advised airBaltic in relation to its bailout by the Latvian government during the Covid-19 crisis.
- Advised CMB Financial Leasing on the sale and leaseback of four Airbus A220-300 aircraft to Latvian airline airBaltic.
- Advised Nordea Bank Abp on amendments to a loan agreement with AS Tallink Grupp.
Sorainen has been instructed on key matters in the transport sector, including the historic Rail Baltica greenfield railway project, as well as airBaltica’s €200m issuance of bonds with JP Morgan as global coordinator. Valts Nerets leads the practice and is an expert in disputes, ship arrests, vessel transactions and registrations, and shipbuilding contracts. Another key name is Ieva Andersone, who has been assisting transport companies with competition and regulatory compliance, most notably advising on the regulatory implications of driverless vehicles.
Other key lawyers:
AirBaltic Corporation AS
Nissan Nordic Europe
National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR)
Wizz Air Hungary Ltd.
BnB Group UAB
- Advising RB Rail on establishing the high-speed double-track Rail Baltica railway project.
- Advised J.P. Morgan and SEB on the issuance by Air Baltic Corporation of €200m five-year bonds.
- Defended National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing in disputes over the registration of the NASCAR trade mark.
Aircraft financing and leasing are standout strengths of Ellex, which has a highly diverse offering across contentious and non-contentious matters. Senior partner Raimonds Slaidins leads the team and is an expert in commercial agreements. Daiga Zivtiņa is a key name for contentious work, particularly in relation to public procurement. Valters Diure handles aviation finance matters, while Maris Brizgo is an expert in public procurement contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Daiga Zivtiņa; Maris Brizgo; Valters Diure
‘Competence, timely responses, clearly expressed legal opinions and recommendations.’
‘Cooperation was easy and uncomplicated.’
‘Always available and easy to work with. The individuals are competent and could solve all legal and practical issues without delay.’
Erste Group Bank AG
Nordic Aviation Capital
Heisterkamp Transport Latvia
Les Bergeries de Palombaggia
- Advised Siemens on a procurement and infrastructure project for Latvian railway electrification.
- Acted as local counsel on the financing of the acquisition of new Airbus A220-300 aircraft for airBaltic.
- Advised on Rabobank’s participation in Batterfisa’s debt refinancing.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns' work on the Rail Baltica project has seen the firm grow its reputation within this space. This instruction on the landmark rail project across the Baltics, Finland and Poland illustrates the team’s broad expertise in corporate, commercial and procurement matters in the transport sector. The team also advises on tax and employment matters, and handles contentious issues. Key members of the team include practice head Māris Vainovskis, who stands out for his skills in aviation financing; Ilze Kramiņa, an expert in construction-related litigation; and Ginta Krukle, who focuses on public law and environmental assessments.
Other key lawyers:
Ilze Kramiņa; Ginta Krūkle; Māris Logins
RB Rail, JSC
Latvian Shipping Company (”Latvijas Kuģniecība” JSC, subsidiary of VITOL S.a.r.l)
Turkish Airlines, Inc, Riga affiliate
Liepāja Special Economic Zone Authority
- Providing day-to-day support and advice in complex matters to RB Rail AS, a €3.6bn project.
- Advised LatRosTrans on various issues.
- Advising Turkish Airlines’ Latvian branch on a number of day-to-day legal matters.
TGS Baltic has expertise in contentious and non-contentious matters, primarily involving road and rail transport. The team’s current workload involves cargo recovery disputes, the financing of transport vehicles, commercial agreements and public procurement. Managing partner Ivars Grunte leads the team and is supported by Sandis Petrovičs; both are particularly strong in cargo damage and compensation claims.
Ivars Grunte; Andra Rubene
Other key lawyers:
Sandis Petrovičs; Arina Stivriņa
‘TGS Baltic is one of the biggest law firms in Latvia. Their unique team is filled with so many well-known individuals in the legal field. Their strength is their worldwide experience and their colleagues and partners with international experience.’
Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
Loomis Czech Republic a.s
Inchcape Motors SIA
The European Investment Bank (EIB) and other senior lenders TBD
The National Health Service of the Republic of Latvia (via SIA Saules Aptieka)
UAB Girteka Logistics
SIA DPD Latvija
Samson Materials Handling Limited
Ceļu satiksmes drošības direkcija / Road Traffic Safety Directorate in Latvia
AS Latvijas balzams
TransBaltic Oil SIA
Europark Latvia SIA
- Advised the European Investment Bank and other senior lenders on the financing of AS Pasažieru Vilciens in relation to the purchase of multiple unit trains.
- Assisted the National Health Service of the Republic of Latvia’s shipment and transportation (by air) of surgical masks from China to Latvia.
- Providing all-inclusive legal assistance to Inchcape Motors Latvia SIA.
WALLESS (former Primus Derling)
WALLESS (former Primus Derling) is notably adept in advising transport and logistics companies on commercial, procurement and employment issues, and also has ‘outstanding knowledge in complex issues regarding maritime law’. Sintija Radionova and Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja head the team, with Radionova working on commercial, employment and tax issues, and Gaigule-Šāvēj focusing on procurement contracts concerning the rail industry. Advising on the purchase of electric trains for Rail Baltica was a key recent highlight.
Sintija Radionova; Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja
‘ WALLESS has outstanding knowledge in complex issues regarding maritime law. While taking into account the complexity of complying with all the legal requirements for our company, WALLESS has shown great attention to providing the best service.’
Arctic Trawlers Ltd
Dentons UK and Middle East LPP for the client Network Certification Body
Havas Latvia SIA
KOOL Latvija SIA
LSEZ Dan Store SIA
Orlen Latvija SIA
Rizzani de Eccher SpA
Škoda Vagonka A.S.
TAV Airport group companies, Havas group
UAVFAC TORY SIA
- Advised Škoda Vagonka on the conclusion of a public procurement contract for the purchase of 32 new suburban electric passenger trains.
- Advised Rere Būve SIA on the public procurement contract for the building design and construction of the Rail Baltica project.
- Advised Orlen Latvija SIA on general matters.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Čukste Levin has a strong foothold in the rail and road transport sectors, counting DHL, GEFCO and Latvian Railways as key clients. The team has a full-service offering and has been advising on regulatory compliance, commercial agreements, employment issues, restructurings and procurement in the transport sector. Vineta Čukste-Jurjeva leads the practice and is an expert in transport law in both a Latvian and EU context, focusing primarily on the railway sector.
Ministry of Transportation of Latvia
Nordic Tankers Marine
Bureau Ship Service
Latvian Passenger Rail Company
European Railway Lines
- Advised Latvian Railways on restructuring issues.
- Advised Latvian Passenger Rail Company on procurement contracts.
- Advised DHL on a broad array of matters concerning its transportation and logistics business.