Employment in Latvia
Cobalt is a prominent name for advising international companies on local employment issues, attracting major names such as Hugo Boss, Johnson & Johnson and Radisson. This workload has entailed advising on immigration, major restructurings, remote working issues, share option plans, terminations and whistleblowing. Toms Šulmanis heads the employment and immigration team, with notable strengths in handling restructurings, redundancies and trade union issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have primarily been in contact with Toms Sulmanis and my experiences are as follows: always very fast in responding, highly competent, flexible, professional and friendly.’
‘The team has experience in working with international clients and provides high-quality work product.’
Johnson & Johnson
- Advised SEB Life Insurance on the employment law aspects of its cross-border merger.
- Provided employment law advice to Solvay Business Services on collective agreements, non-solicitation matters, updates to the employment template documents, and fixed term employment contracts.
- Advised Kone Lifti Latvija SIA on such issues as the restructuring of operations, employment contracts with the management, the implementation of global policies, the restructuring of the payment system, and non-discrimination issues.
Ellex’s position as one of the largest law firms in the Baltics has enabled it to provide a full-service offering to its client base, which contains major employers such as Accenture, Booking.com and Merck Sharp & Dohme. Practice head Irina Kostina is an expert in employment disputes, particularly internal investigations and whistleblowing cases. Daiga Zivtiņa also focuses on contentious issues, most recently advising on employer’s liability matters. Both partners also handle day-to-day issues such as employee contracts and regulatory compliance. Disputes are also handled by Andris Lazdiņš, whose forte is in employee investigations, particularly in relation to white-collar crime cases. At a more junior level, senior counsel Iveta Ceple is 'a star' and focuses on the employment elements of major reorganisations.
Other key lawyers:
Daiga Zivtina; Iveta Ceple; Andris Lazdiņš
‘Ellex’s approach to our problems was very professional.’
‘They stand out for their professionalism and good understanding of the client’s problem. Everything is done on time and very carefully.’
‘Iveta Ceple is a star: her calm and well-organised way of working saved the client a lot. Iveta explained the legal landscape and risks in a simple and understandable way but also gave the client firm and clear directions on how to move forward – with great success.’
SIA Orkla Care
Coca-Cola HBC Latvia
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Developer of IKEA brand in Latvia
Heisterkamp Transport Latvia
- Advised Booking.com on various HR management issues in connection to the development of its business in Latvia.
- Advised Printful Latvia AS on cross-border employment issues.
- Providing regular legal assistance on different employment law issues to Takeda Pharmaceuticals.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns is uniquely positioned as the most prominent international law firm in Latvia, with ‘extensive and vast knowledge of Latvian law’. Litigation is a key pillar of the practice, with its leader Māris Logins experienced at Supreme Court level. Logins has acted on cases involving contested dismissals and redundancies, as well as issues of workplace bullying and discrimination. He is supported by Elīna Muciņa, who brings a unique perspective to the practice having formerly worked at the Labour Department of the Ministry of Welfare. Also recommended is senior associate Jānis Siliņš, who focuses on employment disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Elīna Muciņa; Jānis Siliņš
‘Extensive and vast knowledge of Latvian law and common practice, and creative thinking, in addition to a great, service-oriented team.’
‘Māris Logins stands out as a true professional with a high level of interpersonal skills and understanding of deadlines, and great experience and knowledge.’
‘The firm employs high-class and very knowledgeable professionals. They provide individual attention and are available at any time of the day. They are always ready to help with professional advice.’
“Ventspils nafta“ termināls”
LSC (formerly Latvian Shipping Company)
Latvian branch of Manpower Lit SAS
Volvo Truck Latvia
The British Council
Rīgas namu pārvaldnieks
- Represented Berlin Chemie/Menarini Baltic in two employment-related proceedings brought by employees.
- Advised Ventspils oil terminal on the implementation of structural and organisation changes in a couple of departments leading to an employee redundancy.
- Representing Rīgas satiksme in a dispute against a trade union concerning a collective bargaining agreement.
Sorainen has been the port of call for employment work for big names such as Adidas, L'Oreal and Nike, among many others. This work has involved drafting documents and dealing with dismissals, as well as advising on major reorganisations and restructurings. The team handles both advisory and contentious issues, with a strong track record in employment litigation. Managing partner Eva Berlaus leads the team and is assisted by of counsel Andis Burkevics.
Other key lawyers:
Andis Burkevics; Zane Paeglīte
Concord Service Group
Sandoz d.d. branch in Latvia
Nokia Solutions and Networks
Riga Graduate School of Law
- Assisted adidas with employment law issues related to changing its operational model in Latvia.
- Advising Nokia on employment law issues related to transferring certain functions to other group companies outside Latvia.
- Advised Sandoz on developing a new employment contract template as well as providing other employment law-related advice.
TGS Baltic advises major corporations on the full range of employment issues, including restructurings, terminations, grievance procedures, immigration and data protection. Andra Rubene has a significant client base of international companies, which she advises on contracts, terminations and TUPE issues. Linda Štrause is also a key figure and has been primarily advising clients on employment issues surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic. Associate Toms Tīdemanis assists Rubene on most matters.
Andra Rubene; Linda Štrause; Toms Tīdemanis
Other key lawyers:
‘We greatly appreciate the firm’s high level of professionalism, as well as its ability to deal with a wide range of legal issues.’
Netflix Worldwide Entertainment, LLC
AS Latvenergo / AS Sadales tīkls
Aldaris AS / Carlsberg Group
SIA Intrum Global Technologies / Intrum Global Technologies
- Advised Netflix on filming in Latvia and Lithuania, including employment issues.
- Advised Marsh on various employment-related issues, including on template employment contracts with insurance and reinsurance intermediaries.
- Advised Mars and Royal Canin on engaging, amending and terminating employment.
WALLESS (former Primus Derling)
The employment team at WALLESS (former Primus Derling) operates under the leadership of Sintija Radionova, who has broad capabilities across contentious and non-contentious matters. This workload has often consisted of terminations, restructurings and general compliance. The team's client base comes from a range of sectors, including financial services, transport, food processing and TMT.
‘WALLESS provided exemplary service. Their attention to detail and precision came in handy when drafting employment contracts.’
‘Sintija Radionova provided her assistance with great precision and punctuality. She has a firm but caring approach.’
Arctic Trawlers Ltd
CM Biomass Partners
Dan Store LSEZ SIA
Graanul Invest AS
Havas Latvia SIA
Sapiens International Corporation
Schenker SIA (a group company of DB Schenker)
Svenska Handelsbanken AB Latvijas filiāle
Tele 2 Shared Service Center
Uctam Baltics SIA
VG KVADRA PAK AS
Vilomix Latvija SIA
- Advised SIA L-Ekspresis on the development of its whistleblowing system, as well as providing regular assistance on various employment and management matters.
- Represented Dan Store LSEZ SIA in various complex employment and management matters.
- Advising Uctam Baltics SIA on various employment matters on regular basis.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Čukste Levin has a strong international client base, including DHL, Microsoft and Avon. The team's employment work has involved advising on issues such as immigration, employment contracts and dismissals, as well as non-competition and collective bargaining agreements. Practice head Valters Kronbergs has a strong background in employment matters, largely concerned with the aforementioned areas.
Luther Law Firm
DHL Latvia SIA
Microsoft Latvia SIA and Microsoft Corporation
Aspect SIA Y
Essity Latvia SIA
Radisson Blu Hotel Latvia and Radisson Blu Daugava
Zalaris HR Services Latvia
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP
Nordic Tankers Marine
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
DHL Logistics SIA
- Advised Mihail Čekhov Riga Russian Theatre on trade union matters, terminations and the implementation of a code of ethics.
- Advised a client on an employment matter concerning the breach of duty of faithful service and breach of non-competition clauses.
- Advised Bridgestone on Covid-19 related employment issues and solutions.
LEADELL Vītols has advised on issues such as employee documents and agreements and NDAs, as well as contentious matters involving terminations. Disputes specialist IIze Jankevica leads the team and has acted on employment cases at Supreme Court level. She is supported by managing partner Karlis Vitols, an expert in both contentious and non-contentious employment matters. The team has particular expertise in the agriculture and pharmaceutical sectors.
Other key lawyers:
KRKA, d.d., Novo mesto
The Payment House
- Advised Agrochema on employee transfers due to a reorganisation.
- Advising Gedeon Richter on the procedure for employing a non-resident in Latvia.
- Developing and implementing various internal employee procedures for Agrochema.
Rödl & Partner
The ‘proactive’ and ‘solution-oriented’ Rödl & Partner recently strengthened its employment team with the arrival of former sole practitioner Sanda Lāce, who is an expert in restructurings, business transfers and general compliance, as co-head of the practice. Fellow practice head Inese Lazdupe shares a similar skillset and also focuses on data protection issues. Kristīne Zvejniece and Dace Driče, who joined the team from WALLESS (former Primus Derling) in March 2020, are also key names. Technology and retail are two key sectors for the team.
Inese Lazdupe; Sanda Lāce
Other key lawyers:
Kristīne Zvejniece; Dace Driče; Arsēnijs Korabeļskis
‘In-depth expertise, fast solutions and response times, good communication.’
‘Proactive and solution oriented. Workable, efficient solutions in a short time period.’
Arvato Systems GmbH
Dinair Filton SIA
HSH Chemie GmbH
VAN GRAAF GmbH (Peek & Cloppenburg)
VAN GRAAF Latvia SIA
HÖGL shoe fashion GmbH
Stockholm School of Economics in Riga
cip marketing GmbH
AAF International BV
Festool LV SIA
TTS Tooltechnik Systems Beteiligungen GmbH
Quintessence consulting GmbH
RHL Hamburger Lloyd
Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG
- Acted for Schaeffler Baltic in a lawsuit regarding the termination of employment of a former manager.
- Represented Dinair Filton in complex employment disputes with trade union involvement.
- Advised the Latvian subsidiary of VAN GRAAF on compliance with employment laws and regulations.
VILGERTS' multi-disciplinary employment team has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters. Practice head Jūlija Jerņeva handles general advisory work and is also capable of assisting with highly sensitive issues such as harassment, discrimination and unfair dismissals. Jānis Kubilis is another key figure, with expertise in both litigation and arbitration.