Commercial, corporate and M&A in Kuwait
Al Markaz Law Firm
Al Markaz Law Firm advises on a number of high-value and cross-border transactions, and has established a strong reputation in the market for advising blue-chip companies and working alongside international law firms. Other areas of specialism include corporate governance, restructurings, turnarounds and investment fund transactions. Practice head Ayman Nada covers all aspects of corporate law and has recently advised on major property and aircraft transactions. Senior associate Mohammad Ramadan, who focuses on incorporations and M&A, is a promising name at the junior level, as is associate Zafar Iqbal, who assists Nada on most matters and is highly regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Mohammad Ramadan, Zafar Iqbal
‘The team I’ve had the pleasure of working with at this firm were responsive and offered solutions to issues as well as deep expertise. They were also diligent about meeting deadlines or provided alternatives (and sound instructions) where such deadlines may conflict with other commitments.’
‘They are very good at understanding a complex corporate situation in the Kuwaiti context.’
‘We worked with Ayman Nada and Zafar Iqbal who are highly competent and conscientious.’
‘Zafar Iqbal is very good.’
‘We were generally pleased with their judgement and care in taking into consideration a full range of relevant considerations.’
Al Tamimi & Company occupies a unique position as the only regional law firm in the market; the team is highly skilled in advising clients across the Gulf region on their investments in Kuwait. In a recent highlight, the team advised on the Kuwait aspects of the merger between Middle Eastern banks Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank and Union National Bank. The merger also illustrates the team’s strong focus on the financial services sector, where it acts for clients from the Gulf, Asia and Europe. Practice head Alex Saleh is highly skilled in M&A and private equity. He leads the team alongside Philip Kotsis, who is also highly experienced in cross-border corporate transactions and is well known for advising on major infrastructure projects.
Alex Saleh; Philip Kotsis; Yaqoub Al Munayae; Omar Handoush
National Bank of Kuwait
Commercial Bank of Kuwait
Kuwait Resources House
Vectrus Systems Corporation
- Advising Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank on the Kuwaiti aspects of its merger of the Kuwait assets of Union National Bank.
- Advised Al Aman Investment Company on its purchase of four K-12 schools in the State of Kuwait from Ajyal Holding Company.
- Advised Kuwait Life Sciences Company (KLSC) and Kuwait Investment Authority (KIA) on its joint venture with US partners to become Newbridge Pharmaceuticals.
Advising local and international clients, Meysan Partners is highly skilled in M&A, joint ventures and capital markets, and is particularly active in deals in the telecoms, hospitality and education sectors. Senior partner Bader El-Jeaan is a respected name in the market, having worked on high-value transactions. Of counsel Michel George Ghanem, who focuses on cross-border M&A, private equity and joint ventures, is also noted.
Abdullah Kh. Al-Ayoub & Associates has expertise in commercial, corporate, M&A, capital markets and commercial agreements. Managing partner Abdullah Al-Ayoub leads the practice and has been particularly active in the oil and gas, technology and hospitality sectors. Assistant managing partner Waleed Al-Ayoub, who has a strong track record in corporate transactions, is another key name.
Abdullah Al-Ayoub; Waleed Al-Ayoub
- Advised a global shipping company regarding claims arising out of a charter party agreement.
- Advised a US company regarding an asset sale transaction in Kuwait.
- Advised a US-based client on a defence contracting matter in Kuwait.
A respected name in the market, Al Oula Law Firm (Adel Abdulhadi & Partners) is particularly active in industries such as technology, financial services, agriculture and construction. Sanabil Jafar leads the practice and is an expert in M&A and restructuring.
Sanabil Jafar; Fayez Al Dosari
‘Professional law firm, extremely reliable with strong expertise in the commercial and financial sectors. I am a client with the firm for years now and I have always been satisfied. The team understands the business needs of the client and it tailors solutions to the best interest of the client.’
‘Proactive and provide practical advice as opposed to theoretical approach; helps in getting the deal done. ’
‘Al Oula Team stands out in their complete commitment to delivery of the preferred and fair outcome needed by the client through their very unique dedicated, prompt and professional approach to building a personal relationship of partnership with the objective of protecting and servicing their client’s interest 24/7.’
Helios Dermatology Clinic
Aljawda AlKuwaitia for Food Stuff & Vegetables and Fruits
China State Construction Engineering Corporation (Middle East) (L.L.C)
Yiaco Medical Company
Ador Welding Limited Company
Green Carbon Company
Hasibat Communications Company
Boyua & Aamal for General Trading and Contracting Company
Eastern National Oilfield Services (ENOS)
Gulf International General Trading and Contracting Company (GIGTC)
Satco Engineering for General Trading & Contracting
Satco Food Trading Company
Kuwaiti Union of Farmers Market
- Advised an international law firm on insurance law and the regulatory framework in Kuwait.
- Advised China State Construction Engineering Corporation on the process of capital increase.
- Advised Aljawda AlKuwaitia for Food Stuff & Vegetables and Fruits on the acquisition of an industrial plant.
Al-Wagayan, Al Awadhi and Al-Saif is highly skilled in M&A, restructuring, private equity and equity capital markets, with broad experience in advising local and international clients. Name partner Nader Al Awadhi is a key contact and is best known for restructuring and insolvency work. The firm no longer works in partnership with DLA Piper.
ASAR - Al Ruwayeh & Partners
ASAR - Al Ruwayeh & Partners is experienced in M&A, privatisations, IPOs and general corporate work. Senior partner Sam Habbas has extensive experience in the oil and gas sector; he leads the team alongside managing partner Ahmed Barakat, who advises on corporate, government procurement and employment matters.
Sam Habbas; Ahmed Barakat
Kuwait International Bank
Abercrombie & Fitch
Gulf Investment Corporation
National Industries Group
Global Investment House
HSBC Bank Middle East
National Bank of Kuwait
KIPCO Asset Management Co. (KAMCO)
M. H. Alshaya Co. WLL
Kuwait Danish Dairy (KDD)
Bukhamseen Group Holding Company
Al Sayer Enterprises
- Advised The Kuwait Capital Markets Authority on the privatisation of the country’s stock exchange.
- Advised Global Investment House as the sellers in a 60% stake in Jassim Transport and Stevedoring Co KSCC to Qurain Petrochemical Industries Company KSCP.
- Advised Kuwait Life Sciences Company on the sale of a 51% stake to TouGas Oilfiled Solutions GmbH.
Taher Group Law Firm (TAG)
Taher Group Law Firm (TAG) is a key name in the construction sector and has advised on hospitality, healthcare and recreational development projects. Founding partner Khalid Alkhateeb has strong experience in commercial and corporate governance work; fellow practice head Fawaz Alkhateeb specialises in assisting international clients with corporate and commercial matters.
Fawaz Alkhateeb; Khalid Alkhateeb
‘The founders themselves are what makes the practice unique especially due to the vast exposure and experience in the field of law from the pre-oil era till date. ‘
‘The advice what we get from them is exceptional in comparison to other firms Online web consultations and sms alerts on case updates. The team’s approach to the issue is more pragmatic with a view to all the pros and cons.’
‘They are well versed with risk management which eliminates disputes to a large extent. Their strengths are that they are prepared and cannot be cornered. Glad to have them on our side. ‘
Al-Khonaini General Trading & Contracting Company W.L.L.
M/S Stadium Al Oula for General Trade
Hilton Kuwait Resorts
Ci-net (Credit Information Networks)
Hadi Hospital Company
Hilton Garden Inn
Seeds Economic Financial Marketing Consultancy (Seedskw)
- Advised Stadium Al Oula on employment issues.
- Advised Commercial Real Estate Company on a share subscription agreement.
- Advised Al-Khonaini General Trading & Contracting Company on various issues relating to the sub-contract for employer Ministry of Public Works.
AL-YAQOUT LEGAL GROUP (AYLG)'s workload has a particular emphasis on growing sectors in Kuwait, such as TMT, leisure and hospitality, and pharmaceuticals. The department's client roster includes corporates, SMEs and start-ups and the team is particularly active in handling commercial and franchising agreements. Managing partner Khalifah AlYaqout leads the practice.
Al Arfaj Group
Rawahel Al Kuwait Transport Co.
Gulf Projects Company
National Contracting Company – Rezayat Group
Al Muthanna Insurance Company
Athman Investment Company
Al Tanmiya International Investment Company
Al Soor Investment Company
Maharat General Trading and Construction
Shore International (Mashkor)
- Advised Robusta Company (owners of the Toby’s Estate franchise) with regards to setting up a joint venture company with a major Saudi conglomerate.
- Advised Basic Box Trading Co with regards to opening an Indoor Sky Diving Facility in Kuwait.
- Advised Robusta Company on the license agreement with Toby’s Estate (Australian franchisor) with regards to setting up cafes in New York City as well as engaging in B2B sales.
Dr. Faisal Alfahad & Partners is active in the local market, often advising on M&A, IPOs and privatisations. Faisal Alfahad leads the practice and is highly skilled in the aforementioned areas, and with a strong background in public law in his former roles as board member at the Kuwait Capital Market Authority and legal counsel at the Central Bank of Kuwait.
Kamco Investment Company K.S.C.P
Wataniya Telecom Co. (Ooredoo)
Gulf Investment House Co
Arkan Al Kuwait Real Estate Co
- Advised Kamco Invest on the Boursa Kuwait IPO deal for $33m.
- Advised Ooredoo on electronic payment regulations.
- Advised Gulf Investment Co on a mandatory acquisition offered by a third party.