Al Markaz Law Firm has an excellent reputation for handling complex domestic and cross-border transactions for leading national corporates and multinationals. Noted for its ability to attract a steady stream of referral work from international law firms, it advises foreign clients operating in Kuwait on investments, restructurings and contractual matters. Practice head Ayman Nada works with senior associate Mohammad Ramadan, who has a specialism in shari'ah-compliant contracts, and Zafar Iqbal, who focuses on commercial law matters, M&A and joint ventures. The group is also noted for its niche advisory work in relation to matters concerning trade law, sanctions and customs regulations.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Kuwait
Al Markaz Law Firm
Other key lawyers:
Mohammad Ramadan; Zafar Iqbal
The corporate group at Meysan Partners handles capital markets transactions, including debt and equity transactions, for large multinationals and Kuwaiti companies. The team is singled out for its strength in the telecoms, financial services and insurance sectors. Key contacts in the department include senior partner Bader El-Jeaan, Abdul Aziz Al Yaqout and Tarek Yehya, who is the authority on IPOs and debt issuances. New-York qualified senior associate Abdulwahab Sadeq is recommended for investments.
Bader El Jeaan; Abdul Aziz Al Yaqout; Tarek Yehya
Other key lawyers:
‘They are the best.’
Ahli United Bank KSCP
Ali Alghanim & Sons Automotive Company – BMW
Boodai Enterprises Company
Dunkin Donuts – Kuwait
Gulf Catering Company (GCC)
Gulf Insurance Company (GIC)
InstaShop – Kuwait
Jazeera Airways Company KSCP
Johnson Controls – Kuwait
Kuwait Telecommunications Company – STC
The Sultan Center Company KSCP
United Projects for Aviation Services Company KSCP (UPAC)
- Advised Agility Public Warehousing Company KSCP (“Agility”) on the sale of its Global Integrated Logistics Business to DSV Panalpina for $4.1 bn.
- Advised Ahli United Bank on the issuance of new AT1 perpetual sukuk of a value of $600m and on the tenderoffer of the existing AT1 sukuk issued on 25 October 2016 for the value of $200m.
- Advised United Projects for Aviation Services Company (UPAC) on its initiation of a significant $100m capital increase for the end of year 2020.
Abdullah Kh. Al-Ayoub & Associates's varied workload covers advice on M&A, asset sales, market entry in Kuwait, agencies and distributorships, among other matters. Jointly led by managing partners Abdullah Al-Ayoub and Abdullah Kh. Al-Ayoub, the group is noted for its long-established presence in the Kuwait market and it acts for several foreign multinationals. Chetan Sharma is a name to note.
Abdullah Kh. Al-Ayoub; Waleed Al-Ayoub
Other key lawyers:
’I found them more responsive than the other law firms in their area. I did appreciate their willingness to accomodate our common client’s needs (to a reasonable extent).’
’I worked with Abdullah Kh. Al-Ayoub and Chetan Sharma. They are both professional at what they do.’
- Advising a European company on incorporating an entity in Kuwait for training airlines and helicopter pilots.
- Advising a US defence company on local corporate and commercial matters.
The ‘professional team’ at Al Oula Law Firm (Adel Abdulhadi & Partners) handles a range of mandates for Kuwaiti companies and major foreign clients, including joint ventures, corporate legal compliance matters and shareholders agreements. Fayez Al Dosari and Sanabil Jafar are the key contacts in the group.
‘The personal attention and the smartness of approaching a solution to the problem. Attention to the details and the needs of the customer.’
‘Al Oula have very cooperative staff assisting us in a thorough, to the point, and timely manner.’
‘They are always available to discuss issues related to clients, their opinion of nature of legal considering multiple aspects.’
‘Vast knowledge of laws in multiples countries. A highly professional team.’
‘They have a great ability to listen, analyze and advise.’
EY Law (Dubai)
Helios Dermatology Clinic
Black Boushiya Company
Aljawda AlKuwaitia for Food Stuff & Vegetables and Fruits
China State Construction Engineering Corporation (Middle East)
Consultation Medical Clinic (CMC)
Yiaco Medical Company
Green Carbon Company
Boyua & Aamal for General Trading and Contracting Company
Eastern National Oilfield Services (ENOS)
Gulf International General Trading and Contracting Company (GIGTC)
Satco Engineering for General Trading & Contracting
Satco Food Trading Company
Mrs. Mona Mousa Al Sarraf
Dr. Hani Al Ghawas
Mr. Mustafa E. A. Al Saleh
Kuwaiti Union of Farmers Market
- Advising Swiftpower for General Trading and Contracting on establishing business cooperation and entering a business partnership.
- Advised EY Law LLP (Dubai) on corporate legal compliance matters.
- Advised Aljawda AlKuwaitia for Food Stuff & Vegetables and Fruits on legal aspects related to online and offline marketing activities.
At NEN International, the corporate group advises clients on general corporate law issues, M&A, joint ventures and entry into the Kuwaiti market, among other areas. Founding partner Nader Al Awadhi works with Kashif Syed and Mohammed Al Awandhi. The team works across the GCC region.
Nader Al Awadhi; Kashif Syed
Other key lawyers:
Mohammed Al Awandhi
Mezzan Holding KSCP
Vectrus Systems Corporation
A’ayan Leasing and Investment Company, KSCP
ICBC Bank, Kuwait
Siemens Electrical & Electronic Services K.S.C.C.
Mondelēz Middle East & Africa FZE
Ottu Financial Technology
Hitachi High-Tech Corporation
- Assisting Mezzan Holding Company KSCP with a cross border acquisition.
- Assisting Borets International with major restructuring of operations in Kuwait.
- Advising PERI Kuwait on its day to day operations in Kuwait.
Waleed Al Daraawi leads the corporate team at Al-Yaqout & Al-Fouzan Legal Group (YFLG), which is active in the pharmaceutical, real estate and technology sectors. It advises various foreign companies, multinationals and local Kuwaiti start-ups on regulatory issues and commericial contracts. It also handles company formations and capital raising, restructurings, joint ventures, public procurements and corporate governance matters. Senior associate Nadyn Saleh is highlighted by clients as ‘exceptional’.
Waleed Al Daraawi
Other key lawyers:
‘I have been working with Nadyn Saleh for over three years now and she is an exceptional lawyer.’
MAYCO First Medical Co.
The Wish List
- Advising and acting on behalf of KIPCO (Kuwait Projects Company) – a multibillion investment holding company in Kuwait – in relation to the Hessa Al Mubarak Project.
- Advising Pharmalife on its corporate restructuring.
- Advised MAYCO First Medical Co. on the distributorship of CYBERDYNE, a Japanese medical equipment company that specializes in AI and robotics equipment.
ASAR - Al Ruwayeh & Partners is active in handling complex corporate restructurings and joint ventures for large Kuwaiti companies operating in the oil and gas (particularly petrochemicals) and life sciences sectors. Key names at the firm include Sam Habbas, commercial partner Paul Day and Ezekiel Tuma.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Day; Ezekiel Tuma
‘By far the best commercial practice in Kuwait with experience across all aspects of commercial law both locally and internationally (US, UK, Swiss all tried and tested). Good connections locally and internationally – able to source highly quality expert/foreign legal resource where required.’
‘Sam Habbas – experience, customer service, commercial instinct. Ezekiel Tuma – experience, speed of response; very solid performer.’
‘ASAR has a strong team that is capable of advising clients on different issues. They offer a one-stop shop for almost all legal needs. They have a real understanding of Kuwait market and its legal system coupled with the significant experience the team has in dealing with Kuwaiti courts. Their fees are reasonable considering the high quality of services they provide’
‘ASAR team goes the extra miles for their clients. They have worked with some of our clients and saved them millions of dollars.’
Abercrombie & Fitch
Gulf Investment Corporation
National Industries Group
Global Investment House
HSBC Bank Middle East
National Bank of Kuwait
KIPCO Asset Management Co. (KAMCO)
M. H. Alshaya Co. WLL
Kuwait Danish Dairy (KDD)
Bukhamseen Group Holding Company
Al Sayer Enterprises
Kuwait International Bank (KIB)
Taher Group Law Firm (TAG) covers a wide ambit of matters for clients, such as company formations, commercial contracts, joint ventures and general corporate law advice. Khalid Alkhateeb and Fawaz Alkhateeb are the main contacts at the firm, which acts for clients in the hospitality and health sectors, as well as those operating in the real estate and construction industries.
Khalid Alkhateeb; Fawaz Alkhateeb
M/S Stadium Al Oula for General Trade
Jarallah German Specialized Clinic
M/S Elite Company
World Group General Trading and Contracting Company
Marubeni-Itochu Steel Pte Ltd, Singapore
- Advised Stadium Al Oula for General Trade due to the intricacies of the matter and related to the execution of works for one of the most elitist employer in the state of Kuwait.
- Advising Abdulhadi Al Mailem on the restructuring of one of the oldest family owned which is diverse and engaged in various kinds of commercial activities.
- Advised a real estate company on a share subscription agreement.
Dr. Faisal Alfahad & Partners acts for a mix of domestic and foreign companies, and foreign investors with operations in Kuwait. Other clients include banks and high-net-worth individuals. It attracts a broad cross-section of mandates, which includes advice on corporate governance issues, capital markets transactions, M&A, restructurings, joint ventures and partnerships. Managing partner Faisal Alfahad and Karam Abdulzaher are recommended.
Faisal Alfahad; Karam Abdelzaher
Fiduciary Soft Co.
Kuwait Finance House (Bank)
Addleshaw Goddard LLP
Securities House Company (listed Co.)
KFH Capital Investment Company
Bareeq Holding (listed Co.)
Aref Investment Group
Biotisk Energier Sweden AB
Rexel Middle East
- Advised Fiduciary Soft Co. who owns 30% of Bareeq Holding (listed Co.) and intend to acquire the remaining shares of the Company through Mandatory Acquisition under the rules and regulations of the Capital Markets Authority.
- Advised Biotisk Energier Sweden AB, a leading oil exports company. The advice was related to due diligence and acquisition of a company as well as validity of license held by that company to export used oils from Kuwait.
HFW in association with Attorney Rula Dajani
At HFW in association with Attorney Rula Dajani, the corporate team advises foreign investors in Kuwait on joint ventures, commercial contracts and market entry. Under the leadership of local partner Rula Dajani, the team has extensive transactional expertise and is able to leverage its global footprint across the Middle East and beyond to handle large cross-border mandates. Senior associate Tarek Abu Mariam covers M&A and restructurings.
Other key lawyers:
Tarek Abu Mariam
‘Very well-selected team, rich experience with global footprint.’
Umm Al Hayman for Wastewater Treatment Company (KSPC)
- Appointed as the sole legal counsel to the project company which is a Kuwaiti Shareholding Public Company established under the PPP law to construct the Umm Al Hayman Waste Water Plant – one of the world’s largest waste water projects to process the water from the southern part of Kuwait.