Privatisation and projects in Kenya
Anjarwalla & Khanna has an enviable record in energy and infrastructure, covering project development, project finance and M&A. It has extensive experience in renewable energy projects, PPPs and infrastructure projects. Amyn Mussa heads the projects and infrastructure team, which includes senior associate Karim Lalji. Aleem Tharani joined Bowmans.
‘Excellent knowledge and detailed technical know-how. Essential when looking at project risk in Africa.‘
‘Amyn Mussa is super technical and detailed.‘
Quantum Power East Africa
- Advising Bechtel on the proposed construction and development of the Nairobi–Mombasa Expressway.
- Assisted Kenya Airways with the proposed concession of the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
- Acted for Berkeley Energy on its proposed acquisition of seven power generation and development assets from Tozzi Renewable Energy in Madagascar.
Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews
Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews is a key name for PPP and infrastructure projects. The practice frequently handles projects on the side of government and state-entities. It remains heavily involved in Kenya's Roads annuity programme, an initiative to upgrade 10,000km of roads. Andrew Mugambi is highly rated and recognised for his government connections. Daniel Muriu Wanjau is another key name.
Government of Kenya
Kenya National Highways Authority
Kenya Urban Roads Authority (KURA)
Africa Geothermal International (Kenya)
- Advised PricewaterhouseCoopers (Japan) and the World Bank Group on a study on the resilience of PPP infrastructure in Kenya.
- Assisted PricewaterhouseCoopers and the Kenya National Highways Authority with the construction and rehabilitation of a series of roads across 15 counties in Kenya.
Iseme, Kamau & Maema Advocates is a dominant force in power projects and is increasingly sought after for infrastructure and PPP projects. It has close connections to lenders, sponsors and government entities. James Kamau is a leader in the field, while Beatrice Nyabira is also highly rated.
Standard Bank of South Africa
Rareh Icon Solar
Witu Power Plant
- Advised CDC Group and Proparco on a 50MW wind power project in Kajiado, Kenya.
- Assisted Standard Bank of South Africa and Stanbic Bank of Kenya with a 40MW solar photovoltaic power project in Kesses, Kenya.
- Acted for CDC Group on a 40MW solar project in Malindi, Kilifi County, Kenya.
Walker Kontos Advocates is increasingly handling infrastructure and renewable energy projects and the group remains highly rated for project finance in the energy and infrastructure space, often representing the lenders. Michael Kontos is a key name in the market, while Peter Mwangi, Diana Situma and Rahma Karanja are also noted.
International Finance Corporation
Overseas Private Investment Corporation
Consolidated Bank of Kenya
SBM Bank (Mauritius)
Standard Bank Group
Trade Development Bank
Bowmans' practice was strengthened by the arrival Aleem Tharani from Anjarwalla & Khanna. The firm handles upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas projects, and has also seen an uptick in road infrastructure engagements. Paras Shah leads the team, which also includes Njau Mukuha.
Renewable Energy Performance Platform
- Advised Tullow Kenya on the upstream and midstream aspects of the oil extraction from the Lokichar Basin in Northern Kenya.
- Assisted Tatu City Limited with the restructuring of its urban planning framework for the 5,000 acre private city being developed 15km from Nairobi CBD.
- Acted for Intex Construction on the project agreement, construction and operational phase sub-contracts relating to Kenya’s road annuity programme.
Kaplan & Stratton Advocates has a strong track record in renewable energy and road infrastructure projects. The firm acts for sponsors, lenders and investors, including foreign clients, on road infrastructure and renewable energy project developments, project financings and acquisitions. Kenneth Kamaitha and Sam Wainaina are hugely experienced. Nigel Shaw left to launch NBMA Advocates LLP.
‘The firm is an ever present on the largest project financings in the Kenyan market, with very responsive and highly polished partners.‘
‘Kenneth Kamaitha is very responsive and attuned to clients’ needs. His advice is always thorough and well written.’
‘Sam Wainaina is very experienced and user-friendly.‘
- Advised Overseas Private Investment Corporation on the 100MW Kipeto wind power project in Kenya.
- Acted for Sinohydro Corporation as the sponsor on the development of various roads in Kenya.
- Advised the Ministry of Petroleum and Mining on the development of midstream and downstream petroleum regulations.
- Advised Strabag on the Nairobi-Nakuru-Mau Summit Highway PPP project.
- Assisted the lenders with the financing of a 33MW solar power plant in Makindu.
ENSafrica's newly launched Nairobi projects practice is led by Nigel Shaw, who has considerable experience of the energy and renewables sector. Shaw is especially adept in contract documents and real estate matters, while Binti Shah has extensive project finance experience; the two are former partners of Kaplan & Stratton Advocates.
Mboya Wangong'u & Waiyaki Advocates
Shandong Hi-Speed Nile Investments & Development Co
Snow Cap Enterprise
- Advised Kenya Electricity Generating Company on the construction of a mixed-use development in Olkaria, Naivasha.
- Acted for Safaricom Staff Pension Scheme on the construction of a mixed-use development in Mavoko, Machakos.
- Assisted Snow Cap Enterprise and Positivo BGH with the development and operation of a surface mount technology electronic devices assembly plant.
MMC Africa Law is noted for PPP engagements, most recently advising the Public Private Partnerships Unit of the Kenyan National Treasury on a series of university and hospital PPP developments. Juliet Mazera is the key partner.
Project Implementation Unit of the National Treasury
Public Private Partnerships Unit of the National Treasury
Kenya Railways Corporation
The Government of Kenya through the Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing & Urban Development
Privatisation Commission of Kenya
- Advised the Project Implementation Unit of the Kenyan National Treasury as part of the Ernst & Young-led consortium on a feasibility study for the development, operation and maintenance of a 300-bed private hospital to be undertaken under a PPP model by Kenyatta National Hospital.
- Advised the Project Implementation Unit of the Kenyan National Treasury as part of the Genesis Analytics-led consortium, on the development, operation and maintenance of 15,000 bed-capacity students’ hostels to be undertaken by Moi University under a PPP model.
- Assisted Kenya Airports Authority with a privately-initiated investment proposal from Kenya Airways relating to the concession of certain operations and management of the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.