Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie demonstrates strong capabilities in relation to trade marks, designs, patent litigation and enforcement. Lorenzo de Martinis and Carlo Demichelis focus on trade secrets and anti-counterfeiting respectively. Patrizio de’ Ferri is another key figure.
Intellectual property in Italy
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Lorenzo de Martinis; Carlo Demichelis
Other key lawyers:
Silvia Asioli; Carolina Cordero di Vonzo; Patrizio de’ Ferri
‘Fully dedicated and always very proactive team, with excellent understanding of business dynamics’
‘Carlo Alberto Demichelis, Silvia Asioli and Carolina Cordero di Vonzo are always available and ready to cover any need in the IP sector.’
Christian Dior Couture SA and Parfumes Christina Dior
- Advised Cassina on a copyright infringement and unfair competition case.
- Providing ongoing assistance on the relevant IP related aspects and issues of Sky Italia.
- Handling all the anti-counterfeiting activities in Italy for the LVMH’s “Fashion Group” (Céline, Givenchy, Kenzo, Loewe, Pucci), from strategy to litigation, and training of customs and police forces.
Bird & Bird's IP practice is particularly strong in tech-driven sectors, notably communications, life sciences and energy. Massimiliano Mostardini and Giovanni Galimberti handle a variety of trade mark portfolios, regulatory issues and other matters relating to TMT and IT. Arturo Leone is an expert in telecoms, industrial property and advertising. The firm makes use of twobirds Pattern, which is a proprietary, in-house patent valuation and analysis tool. Antonella De Gregori is another key individual.
Massimiliano Mostardini; Giovanni Galimberti; Arturo Leone
Other key lawyers:
Antonella De Gregori
Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco
La Termoplastic FBM
Ospedale San Raffaele S.r.l. – Fondazione Telethon
Widex A/S-Widex Italia S.r.l.
- Assisting Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco with contesting the violation of the PDO Prosecco by companies from all over the world.
- Advised Telecom Italia on several IP issues including advertising and trademark.
- Advising Snaidero on trade mark assistance.
Tommaso Faelli and Giovanni Guglielmetti are the two key partners in BonelliErede's IP practice. The department is split into two groups, with one handling digital and soft IP matters, while the other team covers traditional IP litigation and is especially praised for its expertise in patent disputes, which belong to Guglielmetti's sector specialisms. Faelli focuses on trade marks, copyright, design and unfair competition.
Other key lawyers:
Giulia Pasqualetto; GIovanni Guglielmetti
‘Personalized service in widely diversified sectors. It has a global, clear and complete vision of all relevant issues, which allows it to tackle the most complex operations and respond to the most sophisticated needs.’
‘Tommaso Faelli and Giulia Pasqualetto are distinguished by a deep knowledge of the market, the regulatory changes and the predisposition to work in multidisciplinary teams, they are one of the keys to the added value offered to meet all the needs of business. We particularly appreciate the pragmatic approach aimed at the real solving of problems and always on time.’
- Assisting Camera Nazionale della Moda – the Association which disciplines, co-ordinates and promotes the development of Italian Fashion – in relation to the legal aspects connected to the launch of its first Digital Fashion Week, including the development of a digital platform dedicated to the event and the negotiation and signing of agreements with magazines worldwide (including the New York Times) for the streaming of contents.
Bresner Cammareri Intellectual Property – BCIP
Bresner Cammareri Intellectual Property – BCIP is a specialist IP boutique providing assistance to clients with IP portfolios worldwide, as well as brand protection in Italy and further afield internationally. Davide Bresner is an expert in global anti-counterfeiting and litigation proceedings, and mainly acts for clients in the fashion industry. Bresner co-heads the practice with Emanuele Cammareri, who focuses on trade mark and design matters.
Davide Bresner; Emanuele Cammareri
Booking.com International B.V.
Milano Dry Gin S.r.l.
La Tecnogalvano S.r.l.
Nero Hotels S.r.l.
WEGA Macchine per caffè S.r.l.
Rocket Milano S.r.l.
Hummel Holding A/S
Boytes Tekstil Sanayi ve Ticaret Anonim Sirketi
Leidseplein Presse B.V. (AC/DC)
Mini Hotel Apartments S.r.l.
CMA Macchine per Caffè S.r.l.
Di Mauro Officine Grafiche S.p.A.
Economy Group S.r.l.
- Assisting Nero Hotels with several issues: representing the client in a dispute against a former licensee to protect misuse of its mark “NERO CHAMPAGNE”; successfully handling our client’s IP portfolio worldwide, by establishing a brand-new trademark portfolio and managing 13 opposition procedures and a cancellation proceeding before the European Trademark Office.
- Assisting Isagro S.p.A. with a number of trade mark applications/registrations worldwide and established a brand-new trademark portfolio of the company.
- Assisting Brofind S.p.A. with the drafting and filing of an Italian patent application necessary for thoroughly safeguarding a new invention of the client
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato acts for clients in contentious and non-contentious matters in the telecoms, pharmaceutical, fashion, design and food sectors. Its workload includes advice to Italian and international companies on patent infringements and revocations. Margherita Barié, who is the key figure in the team, is an experienced litigator and arbitrator.
Faram 1957 SpA
Luigi Fedeli & Figlio
International Nutrition Research Center Inc
MIP – Milano Politecnico
Sipcam Italia Spa
Cherry 106 and Cherry Srl
- Assisting Dreamcos International Srl with domestic and international management of the patent/trade mark portfolio.
- Advising Luigi Fedeli e Figlio S.r.l., on protecting its trade mark in Italy and abroad from unlawful use, and on the global development of the trade mark and for the commercialization of its clothes through its e-commerce website.
- Advising the Italian company Faram 1957 S.p.A., a furniture production company, on managing the entire trade mark portfolio of the group.
CBA Studio Legale e Tributario
CBA Studio Legale e Tributario covers trade marks, designs and patent cases, with a particular focus on transactional matters with international elements (with special expertise in the German market). IP infringement cases and EU regulatory advice are other core areas of activity. The main partners are Mattia Dalla Costa and Barbara Sartori.
Mattia Dalla Costa; Barbara Sartori
‘A close-knit team with a very collaborative and formative approach and solid and reliable solutions.’
‘Continuous training and search for solutions to innovative issues. Empathy in customer relations’
‘Fast and good. Always a creative solution and the right connection to the courts and colleagues.’
‘Mattia Dalla Costa and Barbara Sartori are simply great lawyers, so incredibly reliable and friendly.’
GLAXO SMITH KLINE SPA AND GLAXO SMITH KLINE UK
Iren Mercato S.p.A.
CMC GmbH & Co. KG Classic Model Cars
BANG & CLEAN TECHNOLOGIES AG and BANG&CLEAN GMBH
Unismart Padova Enterprise S.r.l.
KNORR BREMSE Systeme für Nutzfahrzeuge GmbH
GALILEO NETWORK S.p.A. (Corvallis Group)
- Advised Iren Mercato Spa on implementing its e-mobility business, through contract of development of backend and front-end software, interoperability contracts both among CPOs and among ESPs, and through the legal structuring of the APP for management of E-mobility service to consumers.
- Advised Patch AI on developing its app and chatbot applied to the health care field also entering strategic partnership with major pharmaceutical companies such as Novartis and Roches
- Advising AUDI AG and AUDI SPORT GmbH on a merit proceeding pending before the Court of Torino, started by Basic Net SpA, and concerning the license of the AUDI trade mark for the production of sportswear.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani's IP team advises domestic and multinational companies on industrial designs, trade marks, patents, copyright, anti-counterfeiting, piracy and domain names, among other matters. Roberto A. Jacchia leads the group, which includes associate Giulia Beneduci.
Roberto A. Jacchia
Other key lawyers:
Giovanna Bagnardi; Maria Cristina Franchini; Giulia Beneduci
‘Giovanna Bagnardi is punctual, proactive and always paying great attention to customer needs’
‘The overall level of service is very good. The firm has an excellent IP team, which includes Roberto A. Jacchia and Maria Cristina Franchini. Their service is first-class and they are very competent. They are very knowledgeable and very prompt in providing answers.’
‘‘High competence of professionals in the areas of expertise of the firm, high specialization in patents. ‘
‘An experienced team of IP practitioners in this boutique firm provide excellent advice and litigation support. Roberto Jacchia is a very experienced and clever IP lawyer. He is a pleasure to work with and is creative in his approach to challenging problems.’
Alma lasers italia Srl
Campagnola e fedeli
Cisalfa sport S.p.A.
Comenda ali S.p.A.
Culligan italiana S.p.A.
Franco Martegnani Srl
Glaxosmithkline group and Glaxo Smith Kline Italia
Merck Sharp & Dohme, Merck & co
Rivolta & Carmignani
Rizzani de Eccher
Rolex sa and Rolex Italia
Samsung electronics Italia
Staedtler mars Gmbh & co kg
Tat tessitura automatica Tavernerio S.p.A.
Werner & Mertz professional Srl
Werner & Mertz gmbh
Windtex Vagotex S.p.A.
- Representing Merck Sharp & Dohme in a patent infringement case in the Rome Court of Appeal between MSD and Teva Italia Srl, and its Israeli parent company Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Represented Rolex and achieved an important victory in a counterfeiting case against another Italian provider of web access services, Interferenza Srl, responsible for hosting on its servers two online shopping platforms having as their object famous models of watches brand ROLEX declaredly not authentic.
- Assisted Novo Nordisk SpA, the Italian subsidiary of Novo Nordisk A/S, in devising a strategy of protection of patented last generation insulin analogues against the future entry of biosimilars, and related regulatory, pricing and public reimbursement issues.
Dentons' IP team stands out for its contentious and non-contentious work in relation to trade marks, as well as its expertise in representing clients in disputes over patents. Its client roster includes entities operating in the furniture, fashion, food, game and entertainment industries. Giovanni Francesco Casucci is the head of intellectual property and technology in Italy and he also co-heads the European patent litigation practice.
Giovanni Francesco Casucci
Other key lawyers:
‘Giovanni Casucci: competence, business knowledge, practical and concrete approach. Absolutely excellent in the sector.’
‘Strong IP skills and experience and also great willingness to deal with internal legal teams.’
‘Giovanni Casucci, in addition to being an exquisite person, is an energetic professional, very prepared and always ready to explain the strategies and latest trends in the courts, allowing the client to be truly participates in the choice of the strategy to be conducted in court and in transactions.’
Enel S.p.A. and Enel X
- Assisting Danieli with preliminary cross-border search order proceedings before the Court of Trieste in relation to a supposed infringement of software.
- Advising Moscot on copyright law and potential infringement of a trade mark and vertical agreements on production distribution in Europe.
DLA Piper has recognised standing in the IP market. Led by Gualtiero Dragotti, it assists clients with the management of Italian and cross-border patent litigation, and is particularly active in the fashion and sports equipment industries. Another area of strength is life sciences work, which is covered by Roberto Valenti; he often represents medical device manufacturers in patent litigation. Elsewhere, the team is also recognised for its involvement in copyright matters and proceedings. Associate Laura Gastaldi stands out for her expertise in advertising and IP due diligence.
Other key lawyers:
Roberto Valenti; Laura Gastaldi; Annamaria Algieri
‘Roberto Valenti is a key professional thanks to his knowledge of both the sector and the client’s company. His team is good as well, pragmatic and supportive.’
‘Availability and competence’
‘Great knowledge and experience in the IT and IP field with a highly integrated team that addresses the issues posed under various aspects and provides solutions suited to the corporate reality and complexity of the case.’
‘Roberto Valenti: consolidated experience and availability together with colleagues Laura Gastaldi and Annamaria Algieri. Ability to quickly understand the heart of the matter for solutions that are appropriate to the client’s needs’
‘They are able to provide thoughtful strategic advices on prosecution, transactional and litigation issues. They are very responsive and competent.’
‘Roberto Valenti is a highly experienced partner in intellectual property, business oriented and a skilled litigator.’
‘Annamaria Algieri is also a great professional in trademark management, providing thoughtful and clear advice.’
‘They form a great team and provide a smooth assistance in any intellectual property matters.’
Franklin & Marshall S.r.l.
Me contro Te
- Assisting Nikon Corporation with the enforcement of its anti-counterfeiting policy, extended to disputes against unlawful parallel importers.
- Acted for Franklin & Marshall S.r.l., an Italian undertaking which is a leader in the manufacture, marketing and sale of fashion apparel for young people, in a dispute against the Franklin & Marshall College in relation to the use of the trade mark.
- Providing strategic advice to Alpinestars, a manufacturer of technical, high performance protective gear for motorcycle and auto racing, as well as action sports such as Mountain Biking and Surfing.
Gianni & Origoni
Gianni & Origoni's IP team advises domestic and international clients on the whole range of IP matters, including those with elements of IT and media law. Its work spans a wide range of industries, such as sport, fashion, design, media and entertainment. In addition, the team is knowledgeable about the interface between IP and disruptive technologies, such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, robotics and autonomous cars. Clients range in size from Italian and overseas-based start-ups to large corporates and well-known tech and media companies. The group is led by Nino Di Bella, who is an expert in trade marks, copyright and advertising. Trade secrets expert Massimo Sterpi is another name to note, as is Vanessa Franchini.
Nino Di Bella; Massimo Sterpi
Other key lawyers:
‘GOP has a very experienced and knowledgeable team. They understand the client’s strategy and adapt to it.’
‘Vanessa Franchini is a sharp lawyer who is a great support to the client. She can be argumentative in court, if the situation requires. She is knowledgeable, quick in responding and has a practical approach.’
‘Vanessa Franchini is a very effective and sincere person, who knows how to argue and who listens more than the competition lawyers, who are firm in their ideas’
Fondazione Modena Arti Visive
TBS Crew S.r.l. (Chiara Ferragni)
- Continuous assistance to adidas regarding brand protection, sponsorships, endorsement contracts, franchising and retail activities, preliminary proceedings for infringement of the famous 3-stripes trademark.
- Assisting Biagiotti Group S.p.A. as its new logo became the subject of copycat call outs, as it closely resembled one that the late Italian designer Laura Biagiotti had long used for her eponymous label, and which the brand still uses under the watch of Biagiotti’s daughter, Lavinia
- Assistance to Banksy, the famous street artist who never acted in court ever before, in a pivotal case against exhibition organisers for trade mark infringement.
Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria's practice is particularly active in the delivery of cross-border contractual and legal advice, as well as handling disputes. Trade marks and patents are at the core of the practice. Also notable is that Paola Furiosi and practice head Luigi Fontanesi are particularly strong in privacy matters and copyright matters respectively.
Other key lawyers:
‘Luigi Fontanesi is outstanding’
Hotel Villa d’Este S.p.A.
Room Seven B.V.
Gruppo Cimbali S.p.A.
Dnd Martinelli Srl
Gabbanelli Accordions & Imports, LLC
Azienda Farmacie Comunali Lodi s.r.l.
- Represented Hotel Villa d’Este S.p.A. in a dispute concerning the use of “Villa d’Este” trade marks.
- Representation of Bracco Group in an extremely complex cross-border litigation pending before the Court of Geneva.
- Successful assistance to Room Seven, a Netherland handbags, apparel and furniture company for kids, in IP lawsuit.
Herbert Smith Freehills
Herbert Smith Freehills is particularly strong in cross-border litigation, including disputes that involve proceedings in several jurisdictions. The firm is recognised for its international reach, with the contribution of UK, Australia and India-qualified solicitors in the team. Managing partner Laura Orlando is recognised as a prominent life sciences expert. Her team has expertise in patent enforcement, trade marks and brand protection, as well as preservation of design, copyright, trade secrets and geographical indications.
Other key lawyers:
Sebastian Moore; Sara Balice; Pietro Pouché
‘Laura Orlando is a lawyer with a strong focus on IP life sciences (litigation and otherwise). Sara Balice stands out in the team’
‘The firm has a consolidated experience in the field of intellectual property. It has a little bureaucratic and very customer-oriented approach. Working with the HSF team makes the company and the law firm feel like one integrated team.’
‘Laura Orlando is one of the leading intellectual property experts and has directly handled the most important patent litigation in recent years.’
‘The firm’s professionals are highly qualified in the legal field and are able to offer an excellent level of assistance to clients trying to satisfy their respective needs and expectations as much as possible. professionals also react to individual requests with extreme punctuality.’
‘It is a team of experts with a true international background who know how to combine a solid knowledge of Italian law and civil procedure with a multi-jurisdictional vision, thus offering a strategic vision of great value for the client.’
‘Pietro Pouché, in addition to the solid experience, has dynamism and the capacity of litigator and negotiator that allows clients to obtain negotiation solutions even in very complex legal situations’
‘Laura Orlando knows the subject like few others and has a fantastic customer approach.’
‘They are really unique. A large team, highly sophisticated in terms of strategic approach, incredibly responsive, with an international and business-like mindset.’
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
JC Bamford Excavators Ltd
Treasury Wine Estates
Millennium Pharmaceuticals (Takeda)
Bormioli Rocco S.p.A.
British American Tobacco (BAT)
Sierra Blanca Epic
Rubinetterie Bresciane Bonomi S.p.A.
- Assisted Treasury Wine Estates, one of the largest wine producers and distributors in the world, with achieving a major victory in complex preliminary injunction proceedings brought before the Court of Florence by the local wine consortium Consorzio Colline del Monferrato Casalese.
- Representing Gilead in relation to one of the pharmaceuticals sector’s largest ever patent cases, most recently also in the appeal proceedings started by Gilead against Mylan before the Supreme Court in Rome.
- Advising JC Bamford Excavators Ltd on a patent validity and infringement and unfair competition case. This is a multi-jurisdictional litigation involving Italy, France and UK.
Hogan Lovells International LLP 's multifaceted IP practice advises clients on patents, domain names, copyrights, false advertising and trade secrets, among other areas. The firm is particularly renowned for assisting clients with all legal aspects of trade marks, including clearance searches, applications and enforcement. It is highly active in matters with a cross-border dimension. Recognised litigator and arbitrator Luigi Mansani heads up the practice, which includes patent, pharma and licences expert Giovanni Ghirardi. Senior associate Maria Luce Piattelli focuses on strategic brand counselling, anti-counterfeiting actions and IP transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Luce Piattelli; Maria Luigia Franceschelli; Federico Fusco; Giovanni Ghirardi
‘The team consists of very skilled IP professionals and I value both their availability and solution-oriented approach.’
‘Maria Luce Piattelli is highly skilled as well as very pragmatic and business oriented. Furthermore, she is always engaged and available. ’
‘The quality of the legal support provided and the constant presence of professionals.’
‘Maria Luigia Franceschelli has extensive and effective training in the field of IP and communication issues. It is able to support the business with speed and focused responses.’
‘Federico Fusco (counsel) plays a crucial role in assisting clients in complex litigations. He is incredibly prepared and deeply understands the clients’ businesses.’
Gebrüder Thonet Vienna
Bally Schuhfabriken AG
- Assisting Starbucks with various trade mark matters, in negotiating settlement agreements and in devising new branding strategies.
- Assisted Eli Lilly with urgent declaration of non-infringement proceedings. The Court of Milan eventually decided in favour of Eli Lilly. Such decision is particularly important from a legal standpoint, as it clarifies and, in many respects, reverses the case law of the Court of Milan on the hot topic of the relevance of the file history in the interpretation of the claims and in the assessment of the infringement by equivalence.
- Providing continuous assistance to Gebrüder Thonet Vienna in the worldwide management of its IP portfolio and in elaborating an effective strategy to protect the company key assets.
IP Law Galli's group is praised for its 'great expertise' in design issues and the defence of the intellectual property of design products. The team is also noted for its advice on strategic issues, contracts and M&A matters concerning patents (including pharmaceutical and software patents), trade marks, design and copyright law. Cesare Galli and Mariangela Bogni, who co-head the practice, work with associate litigators Alberto Contini and Alecsia Pagani.
Cesare Galli; Mariangela Bogni
Other key lawyers:
Alberto Contini; Alecsia Pagani
‘Great expertise, professionalism and competence’
‘Cesare Galli and Alberto Contini: extreme availability, preparation and professionalism’
‘Professionalism and excellent preparation in industrial property and maximum support in dealing with the fight against counterfeiting’
‘Cesare Galli: maximum availability, preparation and excellent professionalism on IPR contents with valid support from Alecsia Pagani.’
TEVA Pharmaceutical LTD
LG Eletronics Inc.
EG s.p.a. (Stada Group)
Ambrosetti Partecipazioni s.r.l.
Cama 1 s.p.a.
Coop Italia Società Cooperativa
Atlas Copco B.L.M.
Dover Europe s.a.r.l.
- Representing Miroglio Group in proceedings before the Court of Turin started by a well-known fashion group, claiming infringement in the field of know-how and copyright protection. Proceedings are still pending.
- Representing Mouser Italy in proceedings started by Seoul Semiconductors on the alleged infringement of a patent regarding led-composition for improving the lightness.
- Assisting Atlas Copco B.L.M with filing proceedings against certain former employees that had allegedly embezzled Atlas Copco trade secrets, infringed Atlas Copco patented software and then created new companies that marketed copy products and second generation products likewise exploiting Atlas Copco trade secrets.
LCA Studio Legale's IP team is led by Gianluca De Cristofaro, who advises on the management and protection of trade marks, designs and models, patents, know-how, copyrights and software. The group uses a platform supporting trade mark owners in archiving documentation proving the use of trade marks, the creation of copyright’s works and the disclosure of design through the issuing of a blockchain certificate.
Gianluca De Cristofaro
Other key lawyers:
Francesco De Rugeriis
‘Knowledge of the communication and digital media sector, not only in the legal logic, but also in the internal dynamics of the client-agency relationship and in the creative and production processes of the agencies. Technology enthusiasts, curious about everything that the digital communication market offers again. Excellent communication skills.’
‘Trust and reliability. Ability to adapt to the different levels of interlocutors with whom they relate, both in the agency and with the contacts at the agency’s clients. Accuracy, punctuality. Gianluca De Cristofaro and Francesco De Rugeriis are recommended.’
Hugo Boss AG and Hugo Boss Italia S.r.l.
Save the Duck S.p.A.
Ermenegildo Zegna S.p.A.
E.Land Italy S.p.A. (Coccinelle and Mandarina Duck)
Andrea Bocelli Foundation
Froneri Italy S.p.A.
Vision Group S.p.A.
Golden Goose S.p.A.
Marni Group S.p.A. (Only the Brave – OTB Group)
Microsoft Italia S.p.A.
- Assisted Hugo Boss AG with an urgent proceeding started by the fashion company Fendi for alleged registered design violation and copyright infringement and unregistered 3d trade mark counterfeiting activity.
- Assisting Ermenegildo Zegna Holditalia S.p.A. with drafting the company’s standard model of influencer marketing agreement and the “Guidelines for social media influencers’ activities and services”.
- Assisting Microsoft Italy with a claim against a former employee and a competitor for unlawful acquisition and use of Microsoft’s trade secrets regarding commercial information about a strategic cloud solution.
Legance - Avvocati Associati's IP department, which is led by Paolo Marzano and includes senior counsel Monica Riva, focuses on intellectual and industrial property rights protection for Italian and foreign clients. The team's key areas of expertise include trade mark prosecution processes, brand and design protection, as well as copyright collection.
Other key lawyers:
De’ Longhi S.p.A
Allitude S.p.A. former Phoenix Informatica Bancaria S.p.A.
E-On Reality Italia Srl
Hearst Magazines S.p.A
UGA Nutraceuticals S.r.l.
- Assistance to Nexi and to the private equity funds Advent International, Bain Capital and Clessidra (and to their controlled entity Mercury UK Holdco Ltd.) in the agreements with Intesa Sanpaolo (i) for the acquisition by Nexi of a business branch merchant acquiring of Intesa Sanpaolo and for the marketing and distribution of Nexi products by Intesa Sanpaolo and (ii) in the agreement between Mercury UK Holdco Ltd. and Intesa Sanpaolo for the sale of shares representing approximately 9.9% of Nexi. The assistance involved all the IP aspects of the deal.
- Assistance to Guardian News & Media Ltd with the management of advertisement requests and campaigns by national territorial authorities.
- Assistance to Bytedance Ltd with the protection of intellectual property rights of the well-known social media TikTok, including related copyrights (including audiovisual and sound recording), against acts of counterfeiting by third companies.
LGV Avvocati Studio Legale has an excellent reputation for all types of non-contentious IP work in relation to copyrights, patents, designs and trademarks, as well as related disputes. The firm stands out for advising on innovative matters, including mechanical ventilators (in connection with COVID-19), open source licensing and esports regulations. Simona Lavagnini, who has 'long been extremely successful' in the field of copyright and new technologies, co-heads the practice with trade secrets and design expert Luigi Goglia. Alessandro Bura is well regarded for his expertise in industrial property law.
Simona Lavagnini; Luigi Goglia
Other key lawyers:
Alessandro Bura; Tankred Thiem; Margherita Stucchi
‘The entire team is highly responsive and offers sound, customer-focused advice. ’
‘The firm has excellent credentials in IP and they are agile and able to deliver personalised, high quality service. ’
‘Simona Lavagnini is a pleasure to deal with and is accommodating in making herself available. She has particular expertise in copyright and is across all the most recent legal developments. Her advice is always very practical. She is supported by Alessandro Bura, who is very competent and responsive.’
‘Margherita Stucchi and Simona Lavagnini have great knowledge of IP and IT. They do tailored strategies and they are really reachable.’
‘In addition to competence, which is certainly the main feature of this firm, what makes the LGV team unique is the availability and promptness in processing requests, always taking into account the client’s needs.’
‘Simona Lavagnini has long been an extremely successful professional. She continues to approach the client, and with the issues that are submitted to her, with the utmost availability and with the desire to get involved even on new issues. The same goes for Margherita Stucchi, whose attitude is equally distinguished by the extreme availability and the practical approach to the issues submitted, making herself available even outside the hours that characterize the normal operations of a law firm’
BSA – Business Software Alliance
IIDEA (formerly AESVI)
IBF (International brand firm)
Ofy Milano S.r.l.
H&H Sports Protection Group
FIPE (Federazione Italiana Pubblici Esercizi)
- Assisting Federazione Italiana Pubblici Esercizi with litigation and out-of-court activities relating to licensing contract with collecting societies in Italy.
- Providing software consultancy and litigation assistance to Business Software Alliance, the worldwide known anti-piracy association protecting IP rights of software producers.
- Providing legal assistance to IIDEA (formerly AESVI) for the activities of the Association in relation to videogames and their regulations (including lobbies activities).
Martini Manna Avvocati
Martini Manna Avvocati is known for its strengths in Italian cases involving issues such as the protection of trade marks, pharmaceutical patent infringement cases and copyright protection of design and architectural works. The team also advises on the protection of rights on databases and know-how infringement. Elena Martini and Luigi Manna, who co-head the practice, focus on entertainment and design, and automotive and medical devices respectively.
Elena Martini; Luigi Manna
Other key lawyers:
‘Accuracy and punctuality combined with an uncommon and not affected grace. Great attention to every little detail and ability to analyse every possible scenario to prevent future difficulties. Great willingness to accept subsequent additions and changes requested by us and very fast response.’
‘Elena Martini is known for her great professionalism and competence in the field of intellectual property. Laura Spagnoli has an uncommon ability to listen and provides clear, competent answers and effective solutions with punctuality and utmost kindness.’
‘Great law firm that delivers on time’
Candice Cooper AG
Pharmagest Italia Srl – Pharmagest Interactive SA
Invicta Watch Company of America Inc – Glycine Watch S.A.
PHI Industrial Acquisitions
Aste Giudiziarie In Linea S.p.a.
Anna Virgili S.r.l.
Consorzio Kiwi Passion S.c.r.l.
Jessica Joelle Alexander
- Asisted Invicta Watch Company of America Inc – Glycine Watch S.A. with trade mark infringement proceedings commenced against them before the Milan IP Court by the Italian fashion company Giorgio Armani S.p.A., which was part of a broader dispute between the parties.
- Assisted Candice Cooper AG with the submission of a motion for preliminary injunction before the Rome IP Court
- Assisted Jeunesse, leading player in the field of cosmetics and successfully applied for urgent preliminary injunction, barring the respondent from using the client’s trademarks as domain names.
milalegal - Mina Lanfranconi & Associati
Elisabetta Mina and Marina Lanfranconi are the founding partners of boutique milalegal - Mina Lanfranconi & Associati. They focus on cinema, TV, internet and new media, as well as industrial property, trade marks and IP issues arising from M&A.
Elisabetta Mina; Marina Lanfranconi
MONDINI BONORA GINEVRA Studio Legale has a well-established IP practice, which generates mandates from longstanding clients based in Italy and further afield overseas, particularly the US. The firm is well known for representing clients in trademark protection cases in the music industry, as well as undertaking design cases for fashion houses. Giacomo Bonelli has a wealth of expertise in matters concerning the media and entertainment industries. Also notable is that the team is sought after for advice on piracy and digital matters, including those relating to the gaming sector. Practice head Giorgio Mondini is a recognised copyright lawyer who acts at European level. He works with Fabio Ghiretti, who is knowledgeable about matters involving innovative technologies, entertainment law and fashion.
Other key lawyers:
Francesca Milani; Giacomo Bonelli
RAI Radio Televisione Italiana Spa
Heirs of Gio Ponti
Rubinetterie Treemme Srl
Banco BPM Spa
Stazione dell’Arte Museum and Municipality of Ulassai
- Obtained a historical judgment in favour of Kiko, where the Italian Supreme Court definitively confirmed the eligibility for protection under copyright law of concept store layouts.
- Assisted the heirs of the world-famous architect and designer Gio Ponti in a case against the department store Coin, remarkably obtaining the protection of Gio Ponti’s design “Eclissi” under copyright law as a work of figurative art.
- Recently obtained a judgment in favour of Stefano Boeri, the author of the famous architectural work “Bosco Verticale”, by which the Court of Appeal of Milan declared the invalidity of the trade mark “Casa Bosco”, filed by a third party in violation of Stefano Boeri’s rights.
Nctm Studio Legale is highly regarded for its advice on copyright levy duties, trade marks and advertising issues. Lorenzo Attolico focuses on trade marks, patent agreements and IP regulation. He co-heads the department with Paolo Lazzarino, who handles matters concerning industrial property, advertising and e-commerce.
Lorenzo Attolico; Paolo Lazzarino
Sony Interactive Entertainment Italy S.p.A.
Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A.
Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A.
Sky International AG
Belmond UK Ltd
Liu Jo S.p.A.
TBL Licensing LLC
Anheuser-Busch InBev Italia S.p.A.
Universal Music Publishing Italy
Seiko Holdings Kabushiki Kaisha
Manolo Blahnik International Limited
Under Armour Inc.
Canon Kabushiki Kaisha
Acer Italy S.r.l.
Sony Pictures Entertainment Italy
Grason Stadler International
Universal Pictures Italy
Amer Sports Oyj
Abercrombie&Fitch Europe SA
Queen Productions Limited
Tre Cuori S.r.l.
Unidis Jolly Film S.r.l.
- Advised Gucci on complex and time-sensitive trade mark, designs, copyright, image and publicity rights clearance matters ahead of its most important fashion shows and marketing initiatives of 2019/2020
- Advising Acer Italy in relation to the copyright levy duties to be paid in Italy on recording devices and the applicable exemptions under the new legal and regulatory background that came into force in 2020.
- Assisting AESVI, the Italian association of videogame publishers and developers, including console producers such as Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony Interactive Entertainment, in the context of a negotiation with Ministero dei Beni Culturali (Ministry of Cultural Heritage) and SIAE pertaining to the criteria for the exemptions from the payment of the copyright levy duties due for videogame consoles.
Nunziante Magrone is predominantly involved in patent litigation, design enforcement and trade mark matters, particularly in the food sector. The team has grown to include three partners, who also serve as practice heads for the firm's different offices: Niccolò Ferretti in Milan, Rome-based partner Pietro Ilardi and Luca Ferrari in Bologna. In 2020, the department won work from clients in the medical devices and mechanics industry.
Niccolò Ferretti; Pietro Ilardi; Luca Ferrari
‘Ability to discuss with the customer and the ability to develop solutions to their needs’
‘Responsive. Knowledgeable. Attention to detail. Straight talking.’
Herbolea bio-tech s.r.l.
Agroils Technologies s.r.l.
- Successfully defended FB Mondial – an Italian motorcycle manufacturer – winning a Trademark litigation before the Court of Genoa.
- Providing counsel to EUFORON on patent infringement and invalidity litigation.
At Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati, IP and TMT mandates form the bedrocks of the firm's work. Its team acts for a mix of clients, including Italian and international companies, as well as investors. On the contentious side, it is active in patent, trade mark and copyright litigation and arbitration. Matteo Orsingher often assists clients with the IP aspects of corporate and finance transactions. Another key individual is Fabrizio Sanna, who has expertise in advertising and e-commerce. As part of an independent firm, the team is able to act on cross-border matters through access to a network of partner firms.
Matteo Orsingher; Fabrizio Sanna
‘Expertise in IP, knowledge of customer needs’
‘Fabrizio Sanna is a top IP litigator, he provides very practical advice on the subject of consumer protection. Matteo Orsingher stands out for being very convincing before the authorities’
The Walt Disney Company
Twentieth Century Fox
- Advised Ferrari S.p.A. on the litigation against Philipp Plein obtaining two landmark decisions on the protection of well-known trade marks (against the use of them on social networks in order to promote other products).
- Advised Design Research Ltd., owner of the luxury design brand “TOM DIXON”, on its expansion to the Italian market.
- Assisted New Wave AG with the enforcement of the “NEW WAVE” trade mark against Puma and FIGC (Italian Football League) in connection with the merchandising and advertisement of Italian football team’s uniforms.
Osborne Clarke has a strong track record advising clients in the music and entertainment industries on trade mark and copyright disputes, licensing agreements and marketing. Practice head Federico Ferrara is known for his longstanding expertise in the music sector.
Other key lawyers:
Alessandra Corigliano; Marialaura Boni
‘The firm has collaborators specialized in different fields and with different experience, and they are able to carry out joint projects with a great team work.’
‘Ability to relate productively with the customer from the first meeting, making complex concepts easily understandable in a relationship of total trust without stress and constructive without tension’
‘Federico Ferrara and Alessandra Corigliano show care in client relationships, precision and detail.’
‘Punctuality and precision in dealing with complex issues, in compliance with current regulations’
‘Reliability, fairness and professionalism’
‘Marialaura Boni, Federico Ferrara and Alessandra Corigliano certainly represent a very reliable team for a customer. Every request is immediately satisfied as well as being very trained people on the subject.’
‘Promptness in responding to requests; the competence of the professionals; willingness to listen to clients and the ability to understand the real needs of those who ask questions; ability to find solutions and provide clear opinions.’
‘Professionals are punctual, competent, and clear in presenting their opinions. Compared to other high-level law firms, I found greater willingness to dialogue and greater ability to express opinions with precise but not too technical language. Great flexibility in meeting the needs of clients (in terms of billing, organization of appointments, timing in preparing opinions and documents).
APA – Associazione Produttori Audiovisivi
Binda Italia S.r.l
Fede Cheti S.r.l
Mr Stefano Fontana / P House S.r.l.
Grifols Italia S.p.A
Havas Milan S.r.l
Opera Co-Pro Ltd
PDU Music & Productions S.A.and Il Volatore Edizioni Musicali s.r.l.
Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A
SM Publishing (Italy) S.r.l.
- Continuing to advise Sony Music on its claim for damages against Edizioni Musicali Acqua Azzurra and three other defendants, connected with alleged unlawful actions relating to the valuable catalogue of leading Italian singer-songwriter and composer, Lucio Battisti, which the client claims has jeopardised its ability to exploit its IP rights in these original recordings.
- Advising APA, an Italian association that brings together 47 of the country’s leading independent television production companies, on a range of matters, including discussions with the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage Activities and Tourism (MIBAC) over updating private copying levies, as well as representing it in connection with a potential infringement by a Belgian third party of APA’s registered EC trademark.
- Representing Opera Co-Pro, a UK company that commissions new operas and manages coproduction projects, on a range of new initiatives that have arisen through its online platform, including cross-border IP advice on its relations with performing arts companies, artists, composers and publishers.
Pavia e Ansaldo's IP team is centred around practice head Gian Paolo Di Santo, a well known litigator specialised in pharmaceutical and patent matters, who often acts for generics pharmaceutical companies. His team handles a workload involving copyright, advertising law and trade secrets.
Gian Paolo Di Santo
‘Professionalism, knowledge, kindness’
‘Gian Paolo Di Santo is a serious and passionate professional. Attentive and scrupulous person, very prepared.’
Accord / Intas group
Polo Ralph Lauren
Aristo Pharma Group
Techdow Pharma Italy s.r.l.
- Representing Proras before the Italian Supreme Court who ruled in its favour in a long-running and highly complex counterfeiting case.
- Continuing to represent the life sciences giant Genentech Inc in one of the first IP cases where a company has brought a cross-border action in one jurisdiction only with the aim of it being enforceable in many other European countries
- Acting for Polo Ralph Lauren in infringement proceedings related to its iconic “polo player on horse” logo.
Lydia Mendola heads up the intellectual property practice at Portolano Cavallo. She represents clients in court proceedings, with a particular focus on infringements of trade marks, patents, designs and copyrights. In addition, Mendola is experienced in handling corporate transactions and commercial agreements. Her team is particularly recognised for its knowledge of the digital, technology, life sciences and fashion industries. It handles consumer protection matters and advertising issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely knowledgeable about the applicable law, as well as very strategically-minded.’
‘Very responsive to its clients. They particularly excel at mapping out winning strategies early on, and successfully executing on those strategies.’
‘High performances, tailor-made support, business-oriented, fast advice’
‘The team has a strong understanding of business priorities, is extremely dedicated and ready to solve the issues in a pragmatic way. ’
‘A very international approach and strong in navigating in both traditional IP areas and the surrounding areas ’
‘Professionalism, acumen, mental flexibility, great negotiating skills’
‘Excellent advice, very commercial and practical. Always prompt and clear advice on complex issues. They are very quick to adapt to any innovation or change in process. Excellent knowledge of the sector and the needs of clients.’
‘Ernesto Apa is always available to give pragmatic and well-considered advice.’
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons provides all-round IP advice, in particular for clients in the life sciences, high-tech, fashion and food and beverage sectors. Stefania Bergia and Giulio Sironi jointly lead the team, whose expertise includes unfair competition, trade secrets, and design and trade mark infringements. Anna Colmano is an up-and-coming senior associate.
Stefania Bergia; Giulio Sironi
Other key lawyers:
Samsung Bioepis Co. Ltd
Alibaba Group Holding
Hytera Communications Corporation Ltd
ILLVA Saronno Holding
Sulbana (ALPMA Group)
Arrow Film Distributor Ltd
Tornato Prado Avvocati
Tornato Prado Avvocati's IP practice is well recognised for its involvement in matters concerning the manufacturing, distribution and chemical industries. Practice head Alberto Tornato and his team cover litigation, contracts, copyrights and unfair competition matters.
Trevisan & Cuonzo has a primary focus on complex litigation, particularly in the life sciences sector. Described as 'a very strong litigation team for pharmaceutical innovators', the group assists clients with pharmaceutical patents, including those with cross border aspects. The practice also includes lawyers with expertise in technology law. Founding partners Luca Trevisan and Gabriel Cuonzo are 'tremendously experienced' and co-head the department with UK-qualified practitioner Julia Holden. Donatella Capelli is a patent litigator with experience of Italian and EU courts. Daniela Ampollini is another key individual.
Luca Trevisan; Gabriel Cuonzo; Julia Holden
Other key lawyers:
Donatella Capelli; Lorenzo Battarino; Federica Bocedi; Daniela Ampollini; Vittorio Cerulli Irelli
‘This is a very strong litigation team for pharmaceutical innovators. They don’t do generic work and they are extremely knowledgeable about the Italian pharmaceutical regulatory system and the interface with intellectual property law. They are easy to work with and work well as part of a global team of litigators with teams from other firms.’
‘Gabriel Cuonzo is tremendously experienced, knows everyone in the field and has great instincts. He is also extremely easy to work with and kind. Donatella Capelli is a partner and a real powerhouse in the team. She is a superb advocate, works really hard, and her grasp of complex scientific and medical issues is impressive. She drafts excellent briefs. Lorenzo Battarino and Federica Bocedi have both impressed me as excellent associates.’
‘They lead the way in Italy. They have a commercial and collaborative approach’
‘Daniela Ampollini and Gabriel Cuonzo are the best in Italy’
‘The best patent litigation firm in Italy. Decades of experience in this very specialist area make this the go-to firm for serious companies, giving the team an enviable client list and experience to match.’
‘Gabriel Cuonzo: the maestro of the courtroom. Seasoned, confident and smart. Few can match him. Daniella Ampollini: charming, considered and great with difficult cases. Achieves spectacular results.’
‘Gabriele Cuonzo is the head of the team in all patent litigation matters in the pharma arena. He is very experienced and knowledgeable. He is very calm and provides sensible advice.’
‘Vittorio Cerulli Irelli is a sharp litigator. He is pleasant to work with and also understands the business implications of litigating patent cases. Gabriele Cuonzo is one of the most experienced patent litigators in Italy, which is a very big plus when deciding on the best litigation strategy. It’s a pleasure to work with him.’
Heraeus Medical GMBH and Heraeus S.p.A.
OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co. Ltd
Sicasov – Societé Coopérative d’Intérêt Collectif Agricole par actions, simplifiée à Capital Variable
Tessilform (Patrizia Pepe)
- Representing Heraeus Medical GmbH and Heraeus S.p.A. in Italian proceedings concerning a violation of valuable trade secrets belonging to Heraeus and involving a number of complex international private law, unfair competition law and international res judicata issues.
- Representing OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co. Ltd in a complex patent infringement action brought by one of the most active patent assertion entities (PAEs) in Europe.
- Assisting 3M with a broad and successful enforcement program to actively protect 3M’s trade mark rights in Italy.
Withers Studio Legale undertakes work for a client base including private individuals, entrepreneurs and family-owned businesses. Its team's experience spans sectors such as luxury, fashion, food, insurance, manufacturing, sport and media. Jacopo Liguori leads the group, which assists clients with protecting their commercial and personal brands, as well as licensing, distribution, sponsorship and franchising.
Other key lawyers:
‘Flexibility and ability to understand and meet customer needs.’
‘Availability and spirit of collaboration of Jacopo Liguori.’
‘Professionalism, experience, knowledge of the subject and an international approach.’
‘The team that works on each case is a specialized in that area of the sector and interacts with the other lawyers of the firm for any other need that the case requires. Excellent connection between the various departments.’
‘Professionalism and availability.’
‘Veronica Muratori: excellent skills and availability. Jacopo Liguori: professionalism and availability.’
Haeres Equita Srl ( Borsalino)
London Trade Art
- Providing ongoing assistance to Haeres Equita Srl (Borsalino) with safeguarding the world famous “Borsalino” brand through due diligence, trademark agreements, staff education and preparation of IP manuals and general vigilance over the brand.
- Assisting Astanor Ventures with due diligence on IP and privacy issues in the context of a new investment round for Hyris, a biotech start-up based in the UK and active in the field of advanced diagnostics.
- Assisted the innovative start-up London Trade Art Ltd which sells art online with setting up joint ownership by-laws and relevant agreements to ensure the protection of the artwork.