ADVANT Nctm has both trademark and copyright as fields of excellence, whereby enforcement, clearance advice, prosecution and licensing are the main services. The team’s patent and design skills are also well known. Copyright expert Lorenzo Attolico leads the team and also assists clients on trademarks, patents and IP regulations. Paolo Lazzarino stands out for his litigation skills in connection to trademarks, patents, designs, copyright and unfair competition issues. Roberto Cesaro and Luca Guidobaldi were promoted to partners in May 2021.
Intellectual property in Italy
‘Dynamic and competent team. Perfect answers delivered in a short time.’
‘Paolo Lazzarino is always attentive, up-to-date and aware of the key subject in which the clients operate.’
‘NCTM guarantees high professional standards in different sectors and in relation to the different legal issues that may arise during a single operation. Among other things, the collaboration and constant intercommunication between the different teams allows the client to benefit from the various skills present in the studio. Great professionalism and experience, with a concrete vision and excellent knowledge of their reference sector.’
‘The IP team is characterized by a very pragmatic approach, great competence and availability. Paolo Lazzarino and his team are always quick in giving answers and providing solutions.’
‘Paolo Lazzarino – professionalism, precision, speed, flexibility.’
Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A.
Sony Interactive Entertaiment Italia
Sky International AG
Canon Kabushiki Kaisha
Acer Italy S.r.l.
Perfect Moment Limited
Under Armour Inc.
Laps to Go Holding
Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A.
Sony Interactive Entertaiment Italia
Sky International AG
Canon Kabushiki Kaisha
Acer Italy S.r.l.
Perfect Moment Limited
Under Armour Inc.
Laps to Go Holding
- Assisting Sony Interactive Entertaiment Italia in relation to the negotiation and the drafting of the relevant agreements, needed for the preparation, development and the execution of the commercial launch of Sony’s brand new “PlayStation 5” videogame console in Italy and for all the related brand promotion, licensing and sponsorship activities.
- Assisting Brunello Cucinelli S.p.A. in relation to judicial proceedings started by Confezioni Peserico s.p.a., by which the latter aimed at ascertaining that its products did not infringe Cucinelli’s exclusive rights on certain unregistered designs covering items of clothing and accessories, nor the production, promotion and trade of the same amount to unfair competition.
- Assisting Canon Inc. in relation to a preliminary injunction action brought before the IP Court of Turin against a parallel importer of cameras which sold products not destined to the EEA market through an e-commerce website.
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie offers the full range of IP prosecution services in relation to trademarks, designs, patents in addition to assistance in media and copyright matters. IP transactional work and trade secrets are also part of the offering. Lorenzo De Martinis leads the practice. Patrizio de’ Ferri is now with Jacobacci and Carlo Demichelis also left the firm.
Lorenzo de Martinis
- Advised Christian Dior Couture and Parfums Christian Dior and successfully implemented a brand enforcement strategy specifically addressed to engage manufacturers of counterfeit goods, in Italy.
- Advised MHCS on the protection of the shape of the Ruinart champagne bottle, and successfully filed a 3D trademark application in Italy for the shape of the bottle plus ellipsoidal label, without any wordings; the trademark application was published for opposition purposes and shall shortly become an issued trademark registration.
Bird & Bird has a global focus on IP. In Italy, this translates into great capabilities in high-value, cross-border IP disputes and arbitrations. The substantial team covers all IP matters and is particularly well known for acting in trademark and patent cases. In the former area, managing partner and practice head Massimiliano Mostardini is recommended: he focuses on the food sector and infringement disputes in connection to geographical indications and appellations of origin; in the latter area, patent lawyer Antonella De Gregori stands out. Of counsel Arturo Leone and Giovanni Galimberti handle a mix of IP, TMT and IT matters. Counsel Rita Tardiolo is also noted.
Giovanni Galimberti; Massimiliano Mostardini; Arturo Leone
‘Great skills in various industry sectors.’
‘In addition to competence, the firm’s professionals are characterized by extreme availability towards the client’.
‘Immediate availability, seriousness and punctuality in the management of issues.’
‘Comprehensive reporting, availability for discussion, communicative clarity.’
‘Rahul Kakkar is extremely reliable and knowledgeable, has excellent negotiation skills and always manages to achieve the objectives set by the customer. Excellent.’
Actavis (Teva Group)
Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco
Ferrovie dello Stato
Tommy Hilfiger Licensing
- Advised Dieter Rams in connection with copyrights’ transfer on industrial design works.
- Assisting La Rinascente in the launch of its first online store.
- Assisting BMW Italy on advertising law.
BonelliErede‘s IP department covers the whole spectrum of IP matters, with a particular focus on those deriving from transactions. The team’s skills in the fashion, healthcare and food sectors are widely recognised and were lately made use of in numerous international litigation cases, especially patent disputes. Tommaso Faelli combines his IP practice with a focus on IT and data protection and also acts as leader of the firm’s innovation and digital transformation focus team. Giovanni Guglielmetti concentrates on advertising and privacy. The duo jointly lead the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Camera della Moda
Bresner Cammareri Intellectual Property – BCIP
Bresner Cammareri Intellectual Property – BCIP exclusively focuses on assisting clients during the creation, registration and protection of their intellectual property. Emanuele Cammareri concentrates on trademarks and design, while also advising on unfair competition and copyright. Davide Bresner assists Prada and other clients in the fashion industry with national and international IP protection and anti-counterfeiting activities.
Davide Bresner; Emanuele Cammareri
‘Davide Bresner and Emanuele Cammareri are exceptionally responsive and easy going, and they have a hard-working, experienced IP team. They particularly excel in trademark prosecution, litigation and enforcement issues.’
‘Always punctual and accurate. The team is well organized.’
‘Clarity of presentation, competitive fees and an innovative business approach. Emaunuele Cammareri and Davide Bresner, as well as the whole team, are always available.’
‘The team is very active and proactive. Open to practical solutions. Communication is very good. Very efficient team.’
Rocket Milano S.r.l.
Planet Farms Holding S.p.A.
Guarini Design S.r.l.
Prima Lab S.A.
Comand Tool S.r.l.
Booking.com B.V. and Booking.com (Italia) S.r.l.
Nero Hotels S.r.l.
Milano Dry Gin S.r.l.
Fossil Group Europe GmbH
Rocket Milano S.r.l.
Tommy Hilfiger Licensing B.V.
- Advisign Prada S.A. and handling all their anti-counterfeiting activities world-wide.
- Advised Planet Farms Holding S.p.A. in widening its IP portfolio through filing trademark applications and resisting to actions brought by direct and indirect competitors.
- Advised Guarini Design S.r.l. in building framework agreements with regard to the management of different IP rights in the context of the relationship among the various parties involved in the creation of entertainment products.
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato‘s Margherita Barié heads the firm’s IP department and focuses on designs, patents, trademarks, trade secrets and unfair competition. She is also a highly regarded litigator and domestic arbitrator. Associate Giulia Panigazzi assists her.
Other key lawyers:
Aliante / Morato Pane S.p.A.
Bormioli Luigi S.p.A. and Bormioli Rocco S.p.A.
Cherry 106 S.p.A. and Cherry S.r.l.
Conforama Italia S.p.A.
Dreamcos International S.r.l.
Faram 1957 S.p.A.
Honda Motor Europe Ltd. Italia
International Nutrition Research Center Inc
MIP – Milano Politecnico School of Management
Sipcam Italia S.p.A.
- Assisting the Italian company Faram 1957 S.p.A., a furniture production company, in managing the entire trademark portfolio of the group.
- Assisted Conbipel, an Italian fashion brand, in two different proceedings, started by competitors for asserted counterfeiting of models of clothing.
- Assisted Honda, a multinational corporation manufacturer of automobiles, motorcycles, and power equipment in various proceedings concerning the infringement, occurred in Italy, of Honda’s registered trademark and models of engines and succeeded in obtaining the cease of various illicit conducts.
CBA Studio Legale e Tributario provides assistance in connection to Italian and German trademark, design and patent law. Mattia Dalla Costa is a dually qualified professional with strong expertise in industrial M&A related to IP matters and co-leads the department together with Barbara Sartori. The duo, who have experience of international commercial transactions and litigations, is particularly appreciated for managing IP strategies worldwide and drafting IP contracts for different jurisdictions.
Mattia Dalla Costa; Barbara Sartori
‘Deep national and international knowledge of intellectual property (e.g. between Germany and Italy), development of IP management and protection strategies – also in the context of litigation.’
‘Mattia Dalla Costa has great knowledge of trademarks, patents and their protection at national and international level and experience in international transactions in particular in the IT, telecommunications, aerospace and defence sectors.’
‘Mattia Dalla Costa is an excellent professional, an excellent connoisseur of the subject and very attentive to the customer’s needs. He has always shown great availability and care also in interpersonal relationships. Mattia is of exquisite company.’
‘The team was multifunctional and was able to deal with various aspects, for example also the fiscal one, thus bringing a very high added value.’
‘Mattia Dalla Costa – a very smart negotiator. Barbara Sartori – very persistent and assertive.’
‘Barbara Sartori is an excellent practitioner in IP matters’.
‘Mattia Dalla Costa is a well-known IP litigator operating both in Germany and Italy, with great pan-European expertise. His ability to operate in 4 languages makes him a clear asset to clients.’
‘The firm operates both in Italy and in Germany, thanks to Dalla Costa who is licensed in both jurisdictions. Alessia Ferraro offers valid and continuous support in Italy, in close contact with the lawyer.’
Audi ag / audi sport gmbh
Glaxosmithkline spa and glaxosmithkline uk
Thyssen group ag
Hermes sellier s.a.s./ hermes international sa
Max mara srl
Festo se & co. Kg
Galileo network spa
Infineon technologies italia s.r.l. + infineon ag + infineon spa
Babolat va sas
Telespazio spa, leonardo helicopters spa and e-geos spa (italian companies of the leonardospa ’s group), telespazio ag and gaf ag
Iren mercato s.p.a.
Cib unigas spa
Cmc gmbh & co. Kg classic model cars
Novomatic ag mbh
Bang & clean technologies ag and bang&clean gmbh
Alperia bartucci s.p.a.
Knorr bremse systeme für nutzfahrzeuge gmbh
Inkwell data italia s.r.l. / inkwell data ltd
Jacob maul gmbh
Nephi technology gmbh
Konica minolta s.p.a.
- Assisted Glaxo Smith Kline in the complex sale of its industrial site to two different pharmaceutical companies (Dobfar Spa and Aptuit Srl) and in the negotiations for the realisation of a new manufacturing site.
- Assisting Iren Mercato S.p.A. in several electric-mobility projects having scored the sustainable mobility among the main objectives in the Iren Group Business Plan 2024.
- Assisted Telespazio Spa and E-Geos Spa in the litigation proceeding against Egeos GmbH, concerning the infringement of Telespazio Spa and e-Geos Spa’s rights in trademark, domain name and company name as well as due to unfair competition by the German competitor.
Chiomenti‘s IP lawyers act from within the IP, TMT and data protection departments of the firm. IP specialist and of counsel Paolo Bertoni is the key figure in this area. He acts as co-head and has a focus on cross-border patent disputes. Counsel Anna Gardini and senior associate Sara Molina complete the team.
‘Excellent professional preparation, with knowledge both of the theoretical legal and practical aspects involved.’
‘Highly specialized and competent lawyers. Approach to problems with alternative solutions both at a strategic and legal level. Availability, speed of responses.’
‘Paolo Bertoni is extremely competent, reliable, dominates the matter and also helps from a commercial point of view.’
‘The team is characterized by excellent knowledge of the subject and the ability to meet the deadlines communicated on the customer side.’
‘Paolo Bertoni has a great ability to understand the reference market and consequently adapt the consultancy required to the specificities of the sector in which the client operates.’
‘The specialization in luxury makes this studio unique in the sector.’
‘Sara Molina stands out as a particular excellence within the team.’
‘The continuous assistance and availability of the team and of partner Paolo Bertoni, accompanied by constant and precise updating (in the various jurisdictions), make Chiomenti unique. “
Azienda Agricola Villa Sparina
Casoni Fabbricazione Liquori S.p.A.
Compagnie de Phalsbourg
Eagle Pictures S.p.A.
Ed. Mus. Acqua Azzurra s.r.l. in liquidazione
Henkel Italia S.r.l.
Mediobanca Banca di Credito Finanziario S.p.A.
Nock Nock S.r.l.
Toyota Motor Italia
- Advising Henkel Italia S.r.l. in the legal proceedings commenced by Dhaze Materiaux Service S.r.l. before the Court of Milan, claiming copyright infringement, unfair competition and damages compensation.
- Advising Design Holding S.p.A. in the framework of a complex extraordinary operation aimed at establishing a joint venture company with Fendi S.r.l., the internationally renowned fashion house. The assistance is also involving a complex license agreement regarding Fendi’s IP rights in order to allow the JVCo to manufacture and market furniture to be branded “Fendi Casa”.
- Advising Ed. Mus. Acqua Azzurra s.r.l. in liquidazione in numerous proceedings originating as a result of a pending litigation between the company and Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani had a busy year with patent infringement cases, especially for clients in the pharma sector, while IP advice is often provided in connection to M&A and technology transactions, due diligence and compliance. Practice head Roberto A. Jacchia, together with Silvia Doria , has been assisting top players in different sectors, including entertainment, media, IT, construction, automotive and luxury goods for several years. Associate Giulia Beneduci also stands out.
Other key lawyers:
Silvia Doria; Giulia Beneduci
‘A knowledgeable team of lawyers who are creative in their approach and are up to the challenges of Italian litigation.’
‘Roberto Jacchia is an expert lawyer, careful, precise and able to generate positive results from complex cases. He is ably assisted by Silvia Doria.’
‘Roberto Jacchia is very clear in his advice and understands client’s needs.’
‘Extremely prepared and proactive, with a team approach to intellectual property and effective interaction even on a technical level.’
‘Roberto Jacchia and Giulia Beneduci are professionals with a global vision on IP and an extreme ability to understand customer needs and use legal tools to fine-tune the optimal protection or defence strategy.’
‘Professional and efficient approach. They are always available and continuously advise on developments. Their service is first class, and they are very competent and capable. They are very knowledgeable and very prompt in providing answers.’
Alma lasers Italia srl
Glaxosmithkline Group and Glaxo Smith Kline Italia
Merck Sharp & Dohme, Merck & co
Rivolta & Carmignani
Rizzani de Eccher
Rolex sa and Rolex Italia spa
Staedtler Mars GmbH & co kg
Werner & Mertz gmbh
Sts oberholz GmbH
- Enforcing Merck Sharp and Dohme’s patents and defending its active principles in Italy, in various contentious cases in the Rome and Milan IP Courts.
- Representing Rolex in enforcing its renowned trademark and watches against infringements, counterfeiting and unfair competition, as well as defending the integrity of its selective distribution network in Italy.
- Assisted Novo Nordisk SpA, in devising a strategy of protection of patented last generation insulin analogues against the future entry of biosimilars, and related regulatory, pricing and public reimbursement issues.
DLA Piper has a widely recognised IP group, which is particularly known for its focus on patent litigation and innovation protection. Practice head Gualtiero Dragotti provides senior expertise in these areas. Roberto Valenti manages soft-IP and commercial issues with an emphasis on clients in the life sciences sector, who also receive related regulatory advice. ‘Highly valued’ associate Elena Varese concentrates on consumer goods, food, and retail. Trademark management, filing and prosecution complete the offering. Laura Gastaldi is also highlighted.
‘The team has an excellent knowledge of the market and stands out from the crowd for its high-quality advice, flexibility and business-oriented approach. The firm provides a wide arrays of technological tools to clients (e.g. NFTs services, automated tools for migration of data and compiling of documents). DLA Piper acts as a trusted advisor by providing ad-hoc fee structures, secondment programs and trainings.’
‘Elena Varese has an unmatched knowledge and experience in IP and advertising matters. She always provides added value to her work and is able to anticipate the company’s needs. She is always available and capable of conveying trust and enthusiasm also in the most challenging situations. Tailored advice and capacity to think outside the box make Elena one of the youngest market leaders in the field.’
‘DLA Piper has great competence, accompanied by continuous updating and the ability to understand the customer’s needs, without ever forgetting the human dimension of the relationship.’
‘The firm covers various business areas, has enormous flexibility and ability to adapt to the different needs of the business.’
‘DLA professionals are distinguished by the preparation and ability to effectively manage complex cases by finding immediate solutions. There is a constant and timely alignment of the client with regard to judicial developments, accompanied by considerations and suggestions on subsequent actions. The rates applied are in line with the excellent professionalism guaranteed.’
‘Elena Varese distinguishes herself particularly from other professionals for her excellent preparation, for her empathy, for her ability to find immediate solutions and for her ability to succeed. Varese is a highly valued professional.’
Franklin & Marshall S.r.l.
- Assisted multiple clients in establishing and refining the appropriate remedies to prevent and cure the trade secret misappropriation often carried out by leaving employees.
- Assisted the pharmaceutical company Sifi Group in the agreement with the Chinese biopharmaceutical company AffaMed Therapeutics for a strategic joint venture in China aimed at developing, producing and marketing intraocular lenses and other surgical devices for the treatment of eye diseases in South East Asia, in the markets of China, Taiwan, Macao and Hong Kong.
EY TAX & LAW ITALY
EY TAX & LAW ITALY has been active in the IP market since the arrival in April 2019 of a team of lawyers from CREA Avvocati Associati, including key figures Daniele Caneva and Elena Carpani. In July 2021, they were joined at the headship of the practice by Giovanni Francesco Casucci, a recognised lawyer formerly at Dentons. Advertising law is among the specialisms in the team.
Daniele Caneva; Elena Carpani; Giovanni Casucci
‘Availability and promptness in giving answers.’
‘Elena Carpani provides very effective advice.’
‘Giovanni Casucci acts in a professional and cohesive team.’
‘Giovanni Casucci represents an excellence among IP lawyers in Italy. He has the ability to synthesize, has a strategic vision on matters and knows how to organize disputes in transnational contexts. Business-oriented approach aimed at finding and promoting agreements and transactions between the parties.’
‘Innovative, proactive and decisive approach.’
‘Elena Carpani is strong and someone who is relatable but efficient at the same time.’
- Assisting Danieli in preliminary cross-border search order proceedings before the Court of Trieste in relation to a supposed infringement of software.
- Assisting Numero 8 in preliminary procedure proceedings before the Court of Milan in relation to a supposed infringement of trademark
- Assisting Moscot in relation to copyright law and potential infringement of a trademark and vertical agreements on production distribution in Europe.
Franzosi Dal Negro Setti
Boutique IP firm Franzosi Dal Negro Setti houses greatly recognised founding partner Mario Franzosi, who is widely known for his practice and the contribution to the Italian jurisprudence in the field of patent defence. He, together with Vincenzo Jandoli and Federica Santonocito, leads a team which focuses on high-level patent disputes, including across different jurisdictions, as well as trademarks, domains, designs and copyright.
Mario Franzosi; Vincenzo Jandoli; Federica Santonocito
Gattai, Minoli, Partners‘ IP and IT law department was founded in 2015 and has been steadily growing since then. The IP offering integrates traditional industrial property rights, including advisory and contentious work on patents, designs and trademarks as well as expertise in connection to tech platforms and software. Trade secrets are also a key specialism. Licia Garotti is the key figure and is, among others, an appreciated fintech lawyer, who founded the firm’s fintech taskforce.
Global Thinking Foundation
Verisure Italy S.r.l.
Virgin Active S.p.A.
General Medical Merate S.p.A.
IO.T Solutions S.p.A.
Boschetti Alimentare S.p.A.
Sadepan Chimica S.r.l.
IQVIA Solutions Italy S.r.l.
LB Officine Meccaniche S.p.A.
Carton Pack s.r.l.
TMP Group IT S.r.l.
U-Earth Biotech LtdYes
Team System S.p.a.
Amissima Vita S.p.A.
- Assisted Bancomat S.p.A in the signing of a memorandum of understanding with SIA, a hi-tech subsidiary of CDP Equity and active at European level in the field of infrastructures and technological services in the field of card & merchant solutions, digital payment solutions and capital market & network solutions.
- Assisted Banca Generali S.p.A. in the acquisition of a minority stake interest in Conio, one of the largest national cryptocurrency exchanges.
- Assisted Chili S.p.A., an Italian over-the-top platform providing video on demand services, in the drafting and negotiating a set of agreements (including license agreements for audio-visual and cinematographic contents and technology outsourcing agreements) for the implementation and management of a new over-the-top platform.
Gianni & Origoni‘s IP department provides expert advice and representation to domestic and international clients in the full spectrum of IP matters, as well as those with aspects of TMT and cybersecurity law. The group’s engagement in the arts field is particularly recognised and appreciated, both in contentious and transactional contexts, while IT and media are also among the team’s areas of specialism. The department is jointly led by Nino Di Bella and Massimo Sterpi, and it includes Vanessa Franchini. IP, TMT and cybersecurity expert Stefano Mele joined in April 2021 from Carnelutti.
Nino Di Bella; Massimo Sterpi
‘Vanessa Franchini is a knowledgable lawyer who perfectly understands the client’s needs. She is flexible to adapt to the client’s strategy and looks for the most realistic and practical approach. She is firm and assertive in the courtroom, too.’
‘Competence, timing and ability to understand business dynamics and work with the various business components at all levels.’
‘Nino di Bella and Raffaello Stefano De Marco are highly experienced professionals and have the ability to interact with every level of the company.’
‘Massimo Sterpi is intelligent, innovative and responsive.’
‘Ability to make accurate strategic evaluations, weighing in an analytical way the pros and cons of each problem, and then suggesting the most suitable synthetic solution in the light of the analysis carried out.’
‘Nino Di Bella: accuracy of his evaluations and considerable experience in negotiation techniques and strategies. Carmine Di Benedetto: multi-practice approach to problems and constant professional updating.’
‘Gianni & Origoni focuses strongly on advocating for the client’s position, developing practical and effective strategies to advance the client’s interest, and obtaining satisfactory results.’
‘Massimo Sterpi is extremely competent as a lawyer, and a pleasure to deal with as a person.’
Lega Calcio Professionisti Serie A (Italian Football League)
TBS Crew S.r.l.
Ferretti Yachts Group
- Assistance to the Italian Football League (Serie A) with reference to the IP issues related to the sale of a 10% stake in a proposed TV rights newco to a consortium made up by CVC, Advent and FSI.
- Assisting Global Art Exhibition Inc in criminal proceedings concerning allegedly fake Modigliani artworks.
- Assisting TBS Crew S.r.l. in relation to licensing, brand protection, advertising and joint venture agreements.
Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria‘s IP team works in connection with the firm’s global practice but also maintains a strong position in the local Milanese market of the former boutique Santa Maria. The team’s core expertise lies in trademarks, patents and copyright, both on contractual and judicial matters. Practice head Luigi Fontanesi specialises in the fashion, food, life sciences, pharmaceutical, manufacturing and TMT sectors. Paola Furiosi is now with PwC TLS Avvocati e Commercialisti.
Other key lawyers:
Camilla di Fonzo
‘Luigi Fontanesi is an esteemed professional, able to respond quickly to all matters relating to intellectual property. His passion and attention to detail make him the perfect partner.’
Hotel Villa d’Este S.p.A.
Gruppo Cimbali S.p.A.
Dnd Martinelli Srl
Gabbanelli Accordions & Imports, LLC
Azienda Farmacie Comunali Lodi s.r.l.
- Advising Cimbali as strategic IP counsel, including in various IP agreements regarding supply, advertisement and distribution.
- Representing Villa d’Este S.p.A. against an attempt by Galileo S.p.A. to overcome a previous settlement agreement among the parties by pleading that “Villa d’Este” trademarks were lapsed for lack of use in some classes.
- Representing accordion company Gabbanelli in a number of proceedings.
Herbert Smith Freehills
Herbert Smith Freehills has outstanding IP expertise and is strongly recommended for cross-border disputes in the life sciences sector. Practice head Laura Orlando is praised for her ‘undisputed expertise’ in this field, and her ‘good’ team ‘benefits from her leadership’. Pietro Pouché, who was promoted to partner in May 2021, is described as ‘the best lawyer to entrust with cases in the telecommunications, mechanical and technological sectors.’
Laura Orlando; Pietro Pouché
‘The team is good and benefits from the leadership and undisputed expertise of Laura Orlando.’
‘Laura Orlando is an extremely helpful and punctual managing partner in defining legal solutions suitable for the business context.’
‘Very fast, user-friendly, and at the same time very prepared and creative. Real business partners. It’s a great team, well-structured, but at the same time the partners are really present and attentive to everything, even billing.’
‘Laura Orlando and Pietro Pouché: attention and understanding of clients’ needs, and transparency in billing. No surprise fees.’
‘Laura Orlando stands out for her depth of knowledge and business acumen.’
‘Laura Orlando is outstanding’
‘The team is always very responsive and accurate in every suggestion and action and this is highly appreciated by the end customer.’
‘Laura Orlando and Pietro Pouchè are excellent professionals with an excellent ability to manage even complex technical problems – a fundamental skill in the management of patent cases. Laura Orlando is the best attorney to turn to for cases in the life science industry. Pietro Pouchè is the best lawyer to entrust with cases in the telecommunications, mechanical and technological sectors.’
Gilead Sciences, Inc
Bormioli Rocco S.p.A..
Treasury Wine Estates
- Representing Gilead in relation to one of the pharmaceuticals sector’s largest ever patent cases, most recently also in the appeal proceedings started by Gilead against Mylan before the Supreme Court in Rome.
- Assisted Novaliq against an Italian competitor which had started an online denigration campaign against Novaliq.
- Assisted Treasury Wine Estates achieving a major victory in complex preliminary injunction proceedings brought before the Court of Florence by the local wine consortium Consorzio Colline del Monferrato Casalese.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's highly reputed IP department provides assistance and in-court representation in the full spectrum of IP law matters. The team provides an especially comprehensive trademark offering, which stands out for its ability to secure and maintain trademark registrations globally, thanks to the full integration in the firm’s world-wide IP network. Luigi Mansani is widely known for his publications in the fields of patent litigation and Giovanni Ghirardi handles patent disputes. The duo head the practice. Maria Luce Piattelli is noted.
Luigi Mansani; Giovanni Ghirardi
Other key lawyers:
Maria Luce Piattelli
‘The firm provides a good service, and they are very committed to their tasks.’
‘The team is very professional and is always available in case of queries. Giovanni Ghirardi is an excellent lawyer.’
Bally Schuhfabriken AG
Gebrüder Thonet Vienna
Molteni & C.
LCA Studio Legale‘s IP team houses a number of professionals licensed at the Patent and Trademark Offices of Italy and also the European Union. As a result, the department is able to assist clients during the filing of IP papplications, related prosecutions and internet anti-counterfeiting activities not only in Italy, but also at the international level. Gianluca De Cristofaro heads up the group. The department also distinguishes itself through its innovation, as it makes use of a blockchain platform for the management and protection of trademarks.
Gianluca De Cristofaro
‘Excellent client-oriented law firm with an extraordinary problem-solving approach. Extraordinary in identifying tailor made solutions with excellent response times.’
‘Gianluca De Cristoforo and Federica Furlan are excellent professionals in terms of preparation and technical skills. Availability, speed and effectiveness.’
‘The team provides high quality advice. Technical skills are combined with the ability to understand the customer they face and the specific needs they have. Very fast response times.’
‘Gianluca De Cristofaro and Francesco de Rugeriis are both excellent lawyers. In particular, they have the ability to make complex concepts easily understandable even for those who are not experts in law.’
Hugo Boss AG and Hugo Boss Italia S.r.l.
Save the Duck S.p.A.
Ermenegildo Zegna S.p.A.
E.Land Italy S.p.A. (Coccinelle and Mandarina Duck)
Andrea Bocelli Foundation
Vision Group S.p.A.
Golden Goose S.p.A.
Marni Group S.p.A. (Only the Brave – OTB Group)
Smemoranda Group S.p.A.
Microsoft Italia S.p.A.
We Are Social S.r.l.
Pirelli S.p.A. and Pirelli Hangar Bicocca (Art) Foundation
Mandarina Duck S.p.A.
Mondadori Libri S.p.A.
Bonduelle Italia S.r.l.
Janssen S.p.A. – Johnson & Johnson
Audemars Piguet Italia S.p.A.
Edizioni musicali Acqua azzurra S.r.l. in liquidazione
- Assisting Edizioni musicali Acqua azzurra S.r.l. in liquidazione to free itself from Ricordi musical editions, which up to that moment held the copyrights on Battisti’s and Mogol’s, the two founders’, music.
- Assisting Golden Goose S.p.A. in several Uniform Dispute Resolution Proceedings to obtain the transfer of 5 domain names registered, without authorization, by third parties.
- Assisting Coccinelle S.p.A. in drafting a cease and desist letter enforcing a registered EU Design (an iconic bag lock) and in the negotiation of the related settlement agreement, in order to block the online sale of the counterfeit goods.
Legance – Avvocati Associati provides advice in connection to both intellectual and industrial property rights, especially during M&A transactions. Trademark filings and prosecutions, brand and design protection and patent matters combine into a broad service portfolio, which also includes copyright licensing. The fashion and luxury industry, healthcare and pharmaceutical, software and the entertainment sector are key focuses for the team, which is led by Paolo Marzano. Monica Riva was promoted to partner in June 2021.
Paolo Marzano; Monica Riva
‘Great professionalism and availability. Paolo Marzano is able to understand and compose the different points of view and needs of the company departments concerned by synthesizing them, and to find intelligent solutions in line with the customer’s wishes. Maximum availability, efficiency and professionalism (the result of great experience in the sector) in providing support to the company structures in the preparation, in particular, of complex trademark licence agreements and in identifying and sharing the best strategy for the negotiation.’
‘Francesca Cordova is an extremely cordial and serious person. She is extremely dedicated.’
‘Ability to build and maintain the relationship with the customer and always know how to grasp the real needs.’
‘Competence, precision and ability to manage potential conflicts.’
Assicura Agenzia S.r.l.
Committee on Legal Affairs (JURI) of the European Parliament
Dai Optical S.r.l
italGB Pharma Spa
Gioelleria Luigi Verga
Hippocrates Holding Spa
Interactive Advertising Bureau Italia – Iab
OT Group S.r.l.
Quadrivio – Made in Italy Fund
Riva Del Garda Fierecongressi S.p.A.
Rock Jam Production
Uga Nutraceutical S.r.l.
LGV Avvocati Studio Legale has a well-reputed IP practice, with an offering ranging from patents to trademarks, and additional expertise in IP matters in the technology field. Founding partner Simona Lavagnini is a recognised copyright lawyer. Co-founder Luigi Goglia is a very active litigator and concentrates on licensing, distribution and contractual disputes. Dually qualified Tankred Thiem is admitted at the German and Italian bars and completes the team at partner level. Alessandro Bura is also noted.
Simona Lavagnini; Luigi Goglia; Tankred Thiem
Other key lawyers:
‘Luigi Goglia and Tankred Thiem are very competent and reliable partners in patent litigation matters. Tankred Thiem’s admittance to both the German and the Italian bar makes him invaluable in cross-border matters. Their input in working out complex strategies is always helpful and to the point.’
‘This firm has expertise in copyright law and the latest Italian/EU jurisprudence, particularly as it relates to the creative sectors. They provide seamless service throughout the pandemic via email and Zoom.’
‘The team members are all fluent in English, both written and spoken. Their technical knowledge is excellent, and they also deliver very thoughtful, practical advice. They are an absolute pleasure to work with.’
‘Simona Lavagnini, an exceptional professional. Always available and ready to support us for any eventuality. During the years of consultancy, an excellent relationship has been established both with the lawyer.’
‘The LGV team is unique in its ability to support us on a daily basis on the most varied issues of international law.’
‘The professionalism and precision with which Simona Lavagnini and Margherita Stucchi assist and support us are commendable. They have the ability to involve us and inform us through an appropriate language but understandable to the layman.’
‘It is a boutique that – precisely because of its characteristics and dimensions – is able to devote particular attention to the customer. Professionals are always prepared on the needs of the company that they follow step by step and of which they know the business and dynamics.’
SKY Italia Srl
SKY Italia Srl
- Assisting Sky Italia in relation to its exclusive rights for the broadcasting of the Italian football championship.
- Advised GPQ, holder of various patents in the field of cosmetics and medical device, in setting up enforcement campaign and IP value – building strategy.
- Assisting the Software Alliance since 2003 in enforcing exclusive rights on software.
Martini Manna Avvocati
Martini Manna Avvocati is a small IP boutique with a growing profile in the market. It distinguishes itself for its engagement in quality trademark and copyright protection cases, patent infringement cases in the pharmaceutical industry, and database and know-how infringement cases. Elena Martini is noted for ‘establishing herself as a true authority in the market’. She leads the department together with Luigi Manna.
Elena Martini; Luigi Manna
‘Very close-knit and competent team, taking great care in the preparation of cases and their development’.
‘Luigi Manna follows cases very professionally, anticipating the problems one could encounter and always proposing a course of action which proves to be successful.’
‘Truly unique team. Online documentation always available for viewing, great transparency on the count of hours billed and great support.’
‘Elena Martini: great professionalism, dedication. She puts love into her profession and fundamental attention to customer care. She has great experience and an extraordinary capacity for synthesis.’
‘Speed in identifying the problem and, above all, its solution, with a pragmatic and in any case sophisticated approach from a technical point of view.’
‘Elena Martini is a virtuous example of firmness, determination and credibility. Despite her young age, she was able to capitalise on her experience to the maximum, establishing herself as a true credible authority on the market.’
‘The compact, versatile team acts very agile. Responsiveness and solution-based approach.’
‘Elena Martini is a skilful and always well-prepared IP professional. Her assessments are to the point and insightful.’
Alma Biotech s.r.l.
Candice Cooper AG
Wahl GmbH and Wahl Italy s.r.l.
Pharmagest Italia Srl – Pharmagest Interactive SA
PHI Industrial Acquisitions
MIPU Predictive Hub s.r.l.
Aste Giudiziarie In Linea S.p.a.
Anna Virgili S.r.l.
Consorzio Kiwi Passion S.c.r.l.
Jessica Joelle Alexander
Linea Azzurra S.r.l.
- Assisted DAZN Ltd in drafting and negotiating, amongst others, the agreements for the production of the Serie A football matches and those for the licence of archive rights by several Serie A teams.
- Assisting Luxury Cosmetics d.o.o. in commencing trademark infringement proceedings against an Italian competitor.
- Assisting Aste Giudiziarie Inlinea S.p.a. in submitting a preliminary injunction application for trademark infringement and free-riding before the Brescia IP Court.
MONDINI BONORA GINEVRA Studio Legale was established after the former entities Mondini Rusconi, Bonora e Associati and Rapisardi e Ginevra Avvocati Associati joined forces in early 2021. Both firms were active in the IP field: the former with a focus on copyright, trademarks and competition, the latter on patents and related disputes. The newly formed team is jointly led by Giorgio Mondini and Carlo Ginevra and combines the two areas of specialisms in a single department. Giacomo Bonelli is a recognised team member with specialism in copyrighted industrial design, models and trademarks. Fabio Ghiretti stands out for assisting clients in the music, entertainment, and fashion industries.
Giorgio Mondini; Carlo Ginevra
‘The lawyers are very knowledgeable and responsive, practical and with a good attitude. Reasonable rates. They are capable to handle very complex matters.’
‘Giacomo Bonelli is the perfect contact person for any question concerning copyright and always leads to successful outcomes.’
‘Professionalism, dynamism, precision and punctuality.’
‘Great competence in patent litigation, and great attention to the customer.’
‘Carlo Ginevra: ability to manage legal issues related to complex technologies by effectively focusing on the relevant aspects.’
Warner Chappell Music Italiana S.r.l.
Wise Music Group
Telecom Italia (TIM) S.p.a.
Colgate – Palmolive Commerciale Srl
Olimpia Splendid S.p.a.
Laboratories Filorga Cosmetiques Italia
Istituto Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri
- Assisted Premiere Music, a Paris-based music publisher, with a plagiarism claim involving a very popular song written by the French musician Gilbert Montagné, called “On va’ saimer,” and published by Universal Group.
- Assisted Momo S.p.A. in obtaining a cross border provisional injunction before the Milan Court to stop using the trademark and domain name towards a Dutch non-official distributor.
Nunziante Magrone has ample local representation though its three offices in Milan, Rome and Bologna, which are led by Niccolò Ferretti, Pietro Ilardi and Luca Ferrari, respectively. Each team works independently in different sectors. Notably, the firm gained a significant Italian client in the fashion industry, but activity is also growing in the furniture, healthcare and automotive industries. Trademarks, patents, copyright and designs belong are its main areas of expertise.
Niccolò Ferretti; Pietro Ilardi; Luca Ferrari
‘The industrial property team at Nunziante Magrone is faster and more efficient in responding than the other top Milanese law firms that deal with the same subject. This leads to positive outcomes in many disputes.’
‘Niccolò Ferretti has entrepreneurial vision and supports the entrepreneur in an appropriate way on intellectual property and to industrial design issues.’
‘The practice is extremely well run.’
‘Niccolò Ferretti is exceptional. He understands difficult issues and identifies ways to settle matters very efficiently.’
‘Niccolo Ferretti is of incredible (and even vital) value to clients. He is extremely well-equipped to handle the most complex legal situations regarding IP law. Whether for national (Italian) issues or European matters, he has proven to be knowledgeable, communicative and very reliable.’
‘Ability, experience, professionalism, prompt response and a tailor made service make the IP team of Nunziante Magrone particularly appreciated’.
Croce Rossa Italiana ADV
Skylab Studios S.r.l.
Road to Green – Ass. No Profit
Axel Weinbrecht GmbH
International Brand Consulting IBC
- Advised Eufoton in a precendent-setting case which established that once a patent limitation has been exercised, it will no longer be allowed to return to the original extension of patent protection.
- Assisting the Italian Red Cross on five judicial procedures in order to prevent the use of counterfeiting trademarks used by competitors.
IP and TMT boutique Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati houses professionals with a high degree of specialisation in all IP areas, especially in connection to contractual advice, transactions and due diligence. Co-practice heads Matteo Orsingher and ‘pragmatic’ Fabrizio Sanna stand out in these areas. Litigation, mostly regarding patents, trademarks and copyright, as well as arbitration, is also a key element in the firm’s offering.
Matteo Orsingher; Fabrizio Sanna
‘Responsiveness and great value.’
‘Fabrizio Sanna is very pleasant to deal with and pragmatic.’
New Wave Group
The Walt Disney Company
Twentieth Century Fox
- Advised Pollini / Alberta Ferretti Fashion Group on the proceedings pending before the EU Court of Justice for the confirmation of the decision of the EUIPO board of appeal which rejected the application for registration of the EU trademark filed by a competitor.
- Advised ITV on the proceedings before the Italian supreme court against the decision of the court of appeal of Milan in a complex trademark case.
- Successfully represented New Wave Group, both in the first degree and appeal interlocutory proceedings, in a litigation against Puma and the Italian Football Federation for trademark infringement.
Osborne Clarke‘s IP practice stands out for its expertise in the music sector. Its client base in the industry includes independent music companies, individual musicians and top players such as Sony Music Entertainment. They all turn to the practice for advice in connection to copyright matters, advertising and marketing and cross-practice work with competition law elements. Practice head Federico Ferrara is ‘very effective in negotiations and especially in litigation.’
Other key lawyers:
Marialaura Boni; Alessandra Corigliano
‘Marialaura Boni and Gianluigi Marino are very well-prepared with maximum availability and flexibility.’
‘The team works with a super professional, flexible and productive approach.’
‘Federico Ferrara, Marialaura Boni and Alessandra Corigliano are very knowledgeable, quick and creative in the field also with regard to the production of ad hoc contracts.’
‘MariaLaura Boni: prepared and available, extremely punctual in scheduled commitments and with consulting skills that extend beyond the specific issues to be addressed.’
‘Osborne Clarke’s team is always very helpful. Humility, competence and professionalism are always the keywords. The IP team also has direct experience in many business sectors and is very knowledgeable on the subject.’
‘Federico Ferrara: proactive and very operational in the field. Always prepared and available. Very effective in negotiations and especially in litigation. Alessandra Corigliano: young professional, but already of a high level. Very capable in ordinary advice and diligent in every request.’
‘The team boasts the presence of extremely qualified professionals, with a rare and very high degree of specialization in the areas of expertise.’
APA – Associazione Produttori Audiovisivi
Sony Music Entertainment Italy S.p.A
SM Publishing (Italy) S.r.l.
ENGIE (Stellantis Group)
Opera Co-Pro Ltd.
Grifols Italia S.p.A
Havas Milan S.r.l
PDU Music & Productions S.A. and Il Volatore Edizioni Musicali S.r.l.
Binda Italia S.r.l
- Advising Sony Music in a copyright lawsuit against Edizioni Musicali Acqua Azzurra and three other defendants, connected with alleged unlawful actions relating to the valuable catalogue of leading Italian singer-songwriter and composer, Lucio Battisti, which, our client claims, have jeopardised its ability to exploit its IP rights in these original recordings – a complex and highly important dispute since the case relates to the use in digital channels of tracks covered by old contracts that never anticipated this form of use.
- Advising APA, an Italian association that brings together 47 of the country’s leading independent television production companies, on a range of matters, including discussions with the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage Activities and Tourism over updating private copying levies, as well as representing it in connection with a potential infringement by a Belgian third party of APA’s registered EC trademark.
- Representing Opera Co-Pro, a UK company that commissions new operas and manages co-production projects, on a range of initiatives that have arisen through its online platform, including cross-border IP advice on its relations with performing arts companies, artists, composers and publishers.
Pavia e Ansaldo has a longstanding track record in IP matters. Concentrating mainly on highly regulated sectors, the team also handles IP elements of M&A transactions and social media work. Practice head Gian Paolo Di Santo stands out for his activity in the life science and fashion sectors. Counsels Gabriele Girardello and Arianna Paternicò complete the team.
Gian Paolo Di Santo
Accord / Intas group
Polo Ralph Lauren
Techdow Pharma Italy s.r.l.
- Representing Proras before the Italian Supreme Court, which ruled in its favour in a long-running and highly complex counterfeiting case.
- Representing Genentech Inc in a cross-border action.
- Acting for Polo Ralph Lauren in infringement proceedings related to its iconic “polo player on horse” logo.
Portolano Cavallo has a strong specialisation in TMT and digital matters in addition to a focus on the life sciences and fashion sectors. The practice is also highly skilled in dealing with IP issues with an emphasis on litigation, licensing, patents, copyright, software and music, in connections to media and entertainment. Practice head Lydia Mendola is a member of ChIPs - Chiefs in Intellectual Property, an organisation that aims to advance women in IP law.
‘Always prompt, clear and pragmatic. They work within tough deadlines and never fail to provide us and our clients with pragmatic advice.’
‘Great ability to work in a team. Excellent timeliness in providing feedback.’
‘The team is solid and very prepared, while always remaining very close to the customers and their needs.’
‘Lydia Mendola is a very prepared professional.’
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons has widely recognised skills in patent litigation and especially in the chemical, pharma and life sciences sector. Practice heads Stefania Bergia and Giulio Sironi are widely recognised for their ‘assiduous and constant commitment’ in contentious and non-contentious matters of international relevance. Both lawyers handle patents, trademarks and trade secrets, among other matters. Anna Colmano is noted.
Stefania Bergia; Giulio Enrico Sironi
Other key lawyers:
‘Stefania Bergia, Giulio Sironi and Anna Colmano are serious, competent and friendly.’
‘The department has a highly specialized and multidisciplinary approach. Prompt support is also offered with regard to the interpretation of contracts and relationships governed by foreign laws. Full cooperation also in dealing with emergencies.’
‘Giulio Sironi and Stefania Bergia are very helpful, precise and competent.’
‘The partners Stefania Bergia and Giulio Sironi and their collaborators Anna Colmano and Stefano Vignati are competent, flexible and easy-going professionals, able to validly lend their assistance in the IP field in the most various sectors of technology. Their ability to work as a team is much appreciated.’
‘Stefania Bergia and Giulio Sironi have great ability to understand the problems of the clients.’
‘Stefania Bergia combines a deep knowledge and mastery of the subject with an excellent ability to relate both with the customer and with colleagues from other sectors.’
‘Giulio Sironi stands out for the availability and accuracy of the work.’
‘Great professionalism, excellent preparation, ability to work on complex problems based on the needs of the client. In particular, Giulio Sironi and Anna Colmano truly commit to the matters assigned to them.’
Tornato Prado Avvocati
Tornato Prado Avvocati has longstanding experience in IP, competition, contracts, copyright and advertising law. Out-of-court advice is paired with strong capacities in the disputes arena, including cases fought before the Italian Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice. Alberto Tornato is described as ‘an exceptional IP lawyer’ with ‘decades of legal expertise’ in all types of IP-related issues. Jakob Engl Bisignano is also highlighted.
Other key lawyers:
Roberta Comola; Jakob Engl Bisignano
‘They respond with energy and interest, work very well in partnership with the client, and act creatively and proactively.’
‘Highly responsive IP practice with experienced litigators supported by a close-knit team.’
‘Alberto Tornato is very experienced and knowledgeable with a key sense of strategy and how best to deliver results on a cost-effective basis.’
‘Roberta Comola is extremely good, fast and responsive. Jakob Engl Bisignano: outstanding IP litigator who thinks out of the box. Quick, effective team. Pragmatic approach.’
‘Tornato Prado combines the professionalism of large firms with the advantages of smaller companies in terms of costs and availability. In addition to professionalism, they are characterised by promptness and a constant availability, which is fundamental in the initial stages of disputes, even out of court.’
‘The firm has high-level professionals. Roberta Comola is a point of reference. Alberto Tornato: knowledge of languages, especially German, can be very useful.’
‘Alberto Tornato is an exceptional IP lawyer with broad expertise in any IP-related issues and decades of legal expertise. Alberto is not only a sound litigator, but also an exceptional negotiator.’
‘Jakob Engl Bisignano is a rising star with exceptional IP knowledge and outstanding performance.’
Trevisan & Cuonzo is considered to be ‘one of the most sophisticated Italian patent boutiques’. The ‘excellent’ team has noted expertise in multi-jurisdictional patent cases, with a ‘well-deserved reputation’ for dealing with complex IP cases and a great grasp of the life sciences market. Luca Trevisan and Gabriel Cuonzo jointly lead the team, which comprises a number of widely recognised professionals, including highly appreciated Daniela Ampollini, who is noted for her ‘tireless work and dedication’ and is particularly well known for her work in the pharma sector.
Luca Trevisan; Gabriel Cuonzo
‘Top-tier patent litigation and regulatory team in Italy. Decades of experience on leading cases, but with excellent younger partners also emerging in the team.’
‘Daniella Ampollini is a star. She is an absolute delight to work with and thoroughly knowledgeable. Not only does she have the full picture in Italy, but she is able to grasp how the strategy needs to fit with parallel litigation in multiple other jurisdictions. Gabriel Cuonzo has also been impressive for many years, often working in conjunction with Daniela.’
‘Gabriel Cuonzo is very well known. Donatella Capelli is discrete but provides very good work, comes up with her own understanding of the case to adapt the arguments the most to the Italian judges. Lorenzo Battarino is very active too.’
‘Trevisan & Cuonzo deserve their reputation as a go-to firm for IP in Italy. They provide good strategic direction and thinking and have seen and done it all before.’
‘Gabriel Cuonzo brings great gravitas and nuanced strategic thinking to the table, drawing from his vast experience. Daniela Ampollini is noted for her tireless work and dedication, and is particularly well known for her pharmaceutical work for innovator companies.’
‘Leading firm in the Italian IP scene. Has a very well-deserved reputation for dealing with the most complex and ground-breaking IP cases – and they deliver. Unparalleled breadth and depth from life sciences to tech fields, and also from partner and down the associate ranks.’
‘Gabriele Cuonzo – leading light in the field with unparalleled experience and expertise. He has very good instincts. He is one step ahead of adversaries and a charming advocate in court.
‘Daniela Ampollini is excellent. She can assess the situation correctly, make an appropriate strategy, has a network with other capable experts, makes a thorough research and is a reliable negotiator. Gabriel Cuonzo is also excellent. He has a precise insight, foresee an outcome accurately and is a tough negotiator.’
Heraeus Medical GMBH and Heraeus S.p.A.
OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co. Ltd
Tessilform (Patrizia Pepe)
California Table Grape Commission (CTGC)
- Assisting 3M on a broad and successful enforcement program to actively protect 3M’s trademark rights in Italy.
- Successfully represented Boehringer Ingelheim before the Court of Appeal of Milan for patent rights covering the active ingredient of a blockbuster product for respiratory diseases.
- Assisting Heraeus Medical GMBH and Heraeus S.p.a. in Italian proceedings against his main competitor in a case concerning a violation of valuable trade secrets and involving a number of complex international private law, unfair competition law and international res judicata issues.