AZB & Partners represents clients in multi-jurisdictional arbitration proceedings before various bodies, including the ICC, SIAC and the London Court of International Arbitration. Rajendra Barot has a strong track record in cross-border arbitration proceedings, in which he tends to act for well-known Indian and foreign corporates. Vijayendra Pratap Singh also has an enviable track record in international arbitration proceedings, displaying particular expertise in SIAC cases. Aditya Vikram Bhat has acted for clients in arbitration proceedings in various jurisdictions, including Singapore, the United States and the UK. Sonali Mathur specialises in complex arbitrations and securities litigation. Priyanka Shetty has notable expertise in investment treaty arbitrations and enforcement proceedings.
Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution: arbitration
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors
Brus Chambers is highly recommended law firm for commercial litigation and international commercial arbitration and is considered as a beacon of excellence in this practice area. The firm is very active and maintains far-reaching global arbitration capabilities and a broad-ranging remit of expertise across various sectors.View Profile...
Dispute resolution: arbitration in India
ASF Keystone Inc
General Electric Baker Hughes
IHH Healthcare Berhad / Parkway Pantai Ltd.
KPMG / BSR & Associates LLP
KKR India Asset Finance Private Limited
National Stock Exchange of India Limited
Nestle India Ltd.
PWC India Pvt. Ltd. + PWC & Co.
Reserve Bank of India
Swiss Timing Ltd.
The Film & Television Producers Guild of India
Yatra Online Pvt. Ltd.
91Street Media Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
- Represented IHH Healthcare Berhad in two international arbitrations administered under the SIAC Rules and seated in Singapore, against its promoters and minority shareholders in disputes arising out of a shareholders agreement.
- Acted for Alpha Tiger Cyprus Investment company in its defence of challenges to an ICC award by an Indian real estate developer.
- Represented Yatra Online Pvt in a shareholder dispute.
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas' team handles domestic and international arbitration proceedings spanning various major industries, including construction, financial services, oil and gas and steel. Indranil D Deshmukh remains very active in the field of litigation. Among his ongoing highlights, Deshmukh is acting for Ajay Mehra in his opposition in an arbitral award proceedings before the Bombay High Court and the Supreme Court. Shaneen Parikh specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration, including cross-border disputes. Aditya Mehta is presently active in multiple ad-hoc commercial arbitrations taking place in India. Principal associate Shalaka Patil is also a key member of the practice.
‘This team always provides the best outcome for its clients, which in arbitration is to win! From the get-go of our arbitration in India, Shaneen and the team seemed to know exactly how the series of hearings would unfold and the risks/challenges that we had to face as the foreign-country-based company-plaintiff. It was fun watching the team help us overcome each and every one of the risks/challenges and bring home the successful outcome.’
‘Shaneen Parikh possesses the particular strength of keeping her clients comfortable and confident throughout the entire arbitration proceeding, which can last for months/years and be emotionally draining. She regularly checks in with her clients to make sure the clients feel they are given the best legal service they can get.’
‘I completely trust Shaneen Parikh with her legal opinion and overall strategic approach to resolving matters.’
- Represented Ajay Mehra in his challenge of an arbitral award granted against him in favour of Enercon GmbH.
- Represented Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in arbitration proceedings initiated by Kochi Cricket Private Limited regarding alleged wrongful termination of the Kochi Tuskers IPL franchise, and subsequently in proceedings currently taking place in Bombay High Court in which BCCI is challenging the enforcement of an arbitral award granted against them.
- Advising NSE Indices, a wholly owned subsidiary of National Stock Exchange, in a dispute against Singapore Exchange Derivatives Trading and Singapore Stock Exchange relating to the IP in derivatives indices.
Khaitan & Co LLP's team often represents major international and domestic clients in ad-hoc arbitrations across India and major cases before international forums, including SIAC, the LCIA and the ICC. Sanjeev Kapoor, who sits as the Vice President of ICC India Arbitration Group, has a wealth of experience in ad-hoc and institutional arbitration, including bilateral investment treaty disputes. Ajay Bhargava handles civil, criminal and corporate litigation and arbitration proceedings in India and various other jurisdictions. Chakrapani Misra has a strong niche in maritime arbitration, alongside broader experience in commercial and IP disputes.
Larsen & Toubro Limited
Dalmia Cement (Bharat) Limited
Unic Memory Technology (Hong Kong) Limited
Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA)
Siemens AG & Siemens Limited
Emami Agrotech Limited
Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited
- Representing Dalmia Cement in an appeal under section 37 of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 before the Delhi High Court against an interim order passed by the arbitral tribunal on an application under section 17 of the Act in a high value arbitration against Jaiprakash Associates Limited.
- Representing Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority in a Singapore seated arbitration, as well as related litigation under Section 9 of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 before the Delhi High Court.
- Successfully represented Siemens AG & Siemens Limited in a domestically seated international commercial arbitration against Delhi Airport Metro Express Private Limited.
Boutique firm PSL Advocates and Solicitors focuses on corporate and commercial arbitration and litigation proceedings, spanning areas such as tax, insolvency, IP, competition law and international trade. Sameer Jain specialises in domestic and international arbitration proceedings, in which he has acted for multinationals, foreign governments, HNW individuals and royal families. Also of note is Jain's recent appointment as the YAF Representative of International Chambers of Commerce for India. Sandeep Bajaj's vast expertise includes insolvency and bankruptcy, corporate investments and arbitration proceedings. Senior associate Anu Sura has notable expertise in international commercial arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is composed of experienced professionals of high reactivity. Their dedication to understanding the clients, the cases under consideration is appreciated. Also the importance given to availability and adaptativity is appreciated.’
‘Individuals namely Sameer Jain and Anu Sura are friendly and accessible.‘
‘My main experience is with Sameer Jain. I have appreciated the analytic mindset, the broad experience in international commercial arbitration. This is very valuable in the preparation of an arbitration case . Sameer is well connected, and at the same time is intensely working on the cases he is entrusted with.’
‘Also I noticed and appreciated the objective way Sameer is handling a case: thanks to objectivity his recommendations are not biased and he is focused on looking for the best interest of his client, with the required flexibility, which a pragmatic dispute resolution mindset requires.’
‘The practice is unique because the partners’ experience spans across vast areas of practice.‘
‘The team at PSL is a group of dynamic counsels with rich experience who come across as a close knit group that really value their relationships with clients. Sameer, is a visionary leader and comes with a rich experience, especially in disputes.’
SBS Transpole Logistics Private Limited
Affordable Infrastructure & Housing Projects Ltd.
Innovative Facilities Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Federation of Russia
Om Metals Ltd.
Reflomax Co Pvt.
Newgen Software Technologies Limited
Living Consumer Products Private Limited
Indus Towers Limited
Royal Family of Bastar State
Steer Engineering Private Limited
Zirkel Infraca Pvt Ltd
IDOM India Pvt Ltd
Sunshine Teahouse Pvt Ltd (Chaayos)
Rich Valley DryFruits Pvt Ltd
Prime Interglobe Private Limited
Indian Potash Pvt Ltd
Metro Cash & Carry India Ltd
Inter Ads Exhibitions Pvt. Ltd.
- Represented NewGen Software in an arbitration against Abu Dhabi Finance PJSJ under DIFC-LCIA rules.
- Represented SBS Transpole Logistics Pvt Ltd in a multi-jurisdictional shareholder dispute against SBS Holdings Inc, Japan and its erstwhile Singapore Subsidiary.
- Represented Siemens Ltd and Siemens AG, Germany in arbitration proceedings against the respondent PSU in relation to a dispute arising due to unlawful levy of liquidated damages and non-clearance of final dues.
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co' acts for major corporates in international and domestic arbitration proceedings in various forums, including SIAC, the ICC and LCIA. Pallavi Shroff specialises in arbitration and litigation in the energy, infrastructure and natural resources sectors. Tejas Karia, who is an appointed member of SIAC, has a strong track record in arbitrations regarding shareholders' agreements, joint ventures, construction projects and private equity investments. Rishab Gupta has extensive experience in investment treaty arbitration and international arbitration, during which he conducts his own written and oral advocacy.
Other key lawyers:
Shokat Mohammed Dalal (UK citizen)
Korea Western Power Company Limited (KOWEPO)
- Representing the claimant in the ICSID arbitration against the Government of the United Arab Emirates under the UK-UAE BIT.
- Representing the claimant in an investment treaty arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules against the Government of India under the India-Korea Bilateral Investment Treaty 1996.
- Representing a prominent Indian oil and gas company, its promoter and its Singaporean subsidiary in a Singapore-seated international commercial arbitration conducted in accordance with the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC Rules), against the Singaporean subsidiaries of a Mumbai-based international conglomerate having diversified business interests in coal, oil & gas, commodity transportation and dredging.
Singh & Associates Founder – Manoj K Singh Advocates and Solicitors is instructed by private and public clients, including the Government of India, in significant arbitration proceedings arising from issues during infrastructure projects. Practice head Manoj Kumar Singh is in demand for his expertise in both domestic and international arbitrations in forums such as the International Chamber of Commerce and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre. Gunita Pahwa is also noted for her strong track record in commercial arbitral proceedings. Vijay Kumar Singh is best known for his expertise in arbitration disputes concerning real estate projects.
‘Singh & Associates is unique in terms of its expertise in handling any issue relating to construction and EPC contracts. They have complete domain knowledge, including all of the technical and commercial aspects. I have not seen any other law firm with this kind of expertise.’
‘Singh & Associates’ team have a very unique way of solving problems in an abrupt manner. They have a fantastic grasp of the commercial and financial aspects of matters, which helps them provide clients with the appropriate advice in all situations.’
Adani Enterprises Limited
Vikram Solar Limited
Adani Global Pte Ltd.
Uppal Housing Private Limited
JITF Water Infrastructure Limited
PNC Infratech Limited
Dilip Buildcon Ltd.
JMC Projects India Limited
Sterlite Technologies Limited
Mera Baba Reality Associates Pvt Ltd.
Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited
Adani Vizhinjan Sea Port Pvt. Ltd
Palm view Overseas Limited
JITF Urban Waste Management
JWIL Water Infra
Emaar MGF Construction Private Limited.
Economic Laws Practice
Economic Laws Practice's 'smart, hardworking and responsive' team is known for directly representing major clients in international and domestic arbitration cases across various sectors, including construction, engineering, commodities and financial services. Naresh Thacker, who is qualified in India and the UK, is particularly well-versed in international arbitration proceedings arising from large infrastructure projects and M&A deals. Ashish Prasad regularly acts for clients in arbitration cases and subsequent enforcement proceedings, showing particular expertise in IP and commercial law. Alok Jain has a wealth of experience in ad-hoc and institutional arbitration, including cases before the ICC and SIAC.
‘What sets ELP apart is the ability to deploy a team of lawyers who really understand projects, how they work and the claims/disputes they can generate.’
‘Alok Jain and Naresh Thacker are a pleasure to work with – they are clever, and excellent advocates, both in their written and oral submissions. They leverage their expertise, skills and understanding of Indian legal procedures, as well as their professional relationships, to achieve the best outcome for clients.’
‘Naresh Thacker possesses sound knowledge, rich experience and vision about his firm, touching greater heights in almost all the legal spheres including arbitration and litigation.’
HSA Advocates shows particular strength in commercial and regulatory arbitrations in the oil and gas, energy and construction industries. Hemant Sahai frequently represents private and public sector clients involved in international commercial arbitrations governed by SIAC, UNCITRAL and various other bodies. Faranaaz Karbhari often acts for large Indian and foreign companies in corporate and commercial arbitration proceedings. Pragya Ohri primarily acts for oil and gas companies in arbitrations under the UNCITRAL rules.
‘The main feature which makes this firm unique is that they always appoint sincere and intelligent advocates to handle cases.’
Mytrah Energy (India) Private Limited
Finolex Cables Pvt. Ltd.
K T Steel Industries LLP
Centre for Digestive and Kidney Diseases (India) Pvt. Ltd.
South East UP Power Transmission Limited
Mumbai Port Trust
GAIL India Ltd
ONGC Videsh Limited
Hero Future Energy
Sterlite Power Transmission Limited
Tata Power Company Ltd.
- Represented ONGC Nile Ganga B.V. in three major international commercial arbitrations seated in the UK and Dubai.
- Represented Mytrah Energy in an arbitration against Siemens Gamesa Renewable Power Private Limited in relation to a dispute that arose regarding the precise nature of the scope of the parties’ obligations with respect to multiple contracts for supply, erection, commissioning, operation and maintenance of wind turbine generators.
- Assisting Centre for Digestive and Kidney Diseases in filing an application under section 17 of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996, seeking information from MHS in order to quantify the exact amount due by CDKD in relation to the alleged non-compliances of the BCA and alleged improper billing by CDKD.
Keystone Partners specialises in domestic and international construction disputes, in addition to arbitration proceedings concerning companies in the energy, technology and trade sectors. Vikas Mahendra is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and regularly handles high value investment treaty and commercial arbitrations across various jurisdictions. Principal associate Vasudha Sharma has notable expertise in construction arbitration, including cases involving large multinationals.
Mu Sigma Inc.
GE Group of Companies
Afcons Sener LNG Construction Projects Pvt. Ltd.
Dongfang Electric Corp.
OMRON Automation Pvt. Ltd.
Shapoorji Pallonji Company Pvt. Ltd.
Vestas Wind Technology Pvt. Ltd.
Shankaranarayana Constructions Pvt. Ltd.
Campos Engineering Inc.
JCB India Ltd.
Snapdeal Pvt. Ltd.
Associate Decor Ltd.
Xiaomi Technology India Pvt. Ltd.
Alpine Housing Development Corp. Ltd.
Thaicom Public Co. Ltd.
Pioneer Urban Land & Infrastructure Ltd.
Shah Brothers Ispat Pvt. Ltd.
Texport Industries Ltd.
SM Kannappa Automobiles Pvt. Ltd.
Walchandnagar Industries Ltd.
Wendt (India) Ltd.
Anchor Group of Companies
Kappa Building Machines Pvt. Ltd.
Starlog Enterprises Ltd.
emBee Software Pvt. Ltd.
Spunklane Media Pvt. Ltd.
Hughes Communications India Ltd.
Anwesha Engineering & Projects Ltd.
Kirby Building Systems India Pvt. Ltd.
Spirent Communications plc
- Representing a leading EPC contractor in two arbitration proceedings against a large state entity in relation to the construction of two thermal power plants.
- Representing Powerica in its challenge of an arbitral award rendered against it in an ICC arbitration seated in London and governed by Sudanese law.
- Obtained a successful settlement for our client, a leading construction company, during the course of the arbitration proceedings against a government undertaking.
Singhania & Partners LLP acts for corporations and government bodies in domestic and international arbitration, including disputes governed by SIAC and the ICC. The firm is particularly well-known for its role in proceedings arising from construction projects, consulting agreements and public-private contracts. Ravi Singhania has over thirty years of experience in major arbitration proceedings in India and overseas. Shilpa Shah specialises in commercial arbitration and litigation, with notable expertise in the transport sector. Vikas Goel has an excellent track record in infrastructure and breach of contract disputes.
‘Attention to detail. Cost effective and timely intervention and execution. Pragmatic focus on results.’
Abhyudaya Housing & Construction Pvt Ltd.
Bawana Infra Development Private Limited.
Shapoorji Pallonji & Company Ltd.
Ramky Infrastructures Limited
PNC Delhi Industrial Infra Private Limited
National Highways Authority of India
Isgec Heavy Engineering Ltd.
- Representing Simplot India Foods Private Limited before Delhi High Court in a Petition filed by its JV partner Himalaya Food International Limited challenging the award passed by Delhi International Arbitration Centre in a JV dispute.
- Successfully recovered losses on behalf of PNC Delhi Industrial Infrastructure in a dispute regarding the development of an industrial area in New Delhi.
- Represented ISGEC Engineering Company in an international contractual dispute arising out of invocation of bank guarantees, and advised the client on an International Commercial Arbitration held under the aegis of SIAC.
Led by Prateek Bagaria, Singularity Legal's team specialises in cross-border arbitration proceedings in various sectors, including energy, construction, media and entertainment and financial services. The group also demonstrates expertise in third party funding, complex investigations and litigation across numerous jurisdictions, including Singapore, Egypt and the UAE.
Lex Sportel Vision Pvt. Ltd.
Lex Entertainment & Media Pvt. Ltd.
Aircon Biebers FZE
Lahoti Overseas Limited
National Agricultural Cooperation Federation Bank, South Korea
Daelim Industrial Co. Limited
FTI Consulting Inc.
Anwesha Engineering and Projects Ltd.
ISGEC Heavy Engineering Limited
Oorja Holding Pte Limited
Mercator Oil and Gas Limited
Mercator Offshore (P) Pte Ltd
Mercator Energy Pte Limited
Mercator International Limited
PT Karya Putra Borneo
- Representing Jinbhuvish Group in an arbitration under a joint-venture agreement for construction of a thermal power plant against a Korean sovereign company (SIAC Rules, Singapore seated, Indian law).
- Representing a Mercator Oil & Gas and Mercator Offshore in an ad-hoc arbitration concerning termination of a contract for conversion of a mobile offshore drilling unit to a mobile offshore production unit, against an Indian state-owned enterprise.
- Representing ISGEC Heavy Engineering in an ad-hoc arbitration concerning termination of a contract for conversion of a mobile offshore drilling unit to a mobile offshore production unit, against an Indian state-owned enterprise.
Advaita Legal predominantly represents clients in arbitration proceedings involving commercial and contractual disputes, including EPC contracts. Monali Dutta specialises in disputes involving clients in the infrastructure, construction, energy and transport sectors. Kanupriya Bhargava often represents clients in the infrastructure, oil and gas and hospitality sectors in cases before various judicial fora.
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors
BRUS CHAMBERS, Advocates & Solicitors focuses on domestic and international arbitration proceedings in the metal, shipping, infrastructure and oil and gas sectors. Binita Hathi has expertise in international, ad-hoc and institutional arbitration and litigation relating to the enforcement of arbitral awards, with an emphasis on shipping disputes.
Clasis Law advises and represents clients in arbitration involving construction contracts, however the firm also has experience in various matters before SIAC, DIAC and the ICC. Mustafa Motiwala handles domestic and international arbitration proceedings. Shwetabh Sinha has notable expertise in commercial arbitration and litigation in the shipping industry.
Dhir & Dhir Associates's team focuses primarily on domestic arbitration proceedings involving regulatory matters in the aviation sector, debt recovery claims or construction projects. Alok Dhir specialises in corporate law, financial restructuring and real estate projects. Sachin Gupta concentrates on complex civil and commercial arbitration, including disputes regarding equity and debt transactions, shareholders' agreements and securitisation matters. Varsha Banerjee has notable expertise in insolvency law, debt restructuring and asset sale transactions.
Airports Economic Regulatory Authority (AERA)
- Represented Airport Economic Authority in various appeals against its Tarriff Order No.32 2012/13, securing complete dismissal by common judgment.
- Representing Amtek Group in claims brought by various banks and financial institutions against the company and its promoter Arvind Dham.
- Representing Simbholi Sugars in its defence of various claims filed by lenders/banks.
Manilal Kher Ambalal & Co Advocates, Solicitors and Notary
Manilal Kher Ambalal & Co Advocates, Solicitors and Notary's practice represents clients in domestic and international proceedings, including banking, construction and commercial disputes. Sanaya Dadachanji has a strong track record in ad-hoc and institutional arbitration proceedings and litigation in the Bombay High Court relating to the enforcement of or challenge to arbitral awards. Sachin Chandarana has significant expertise in commercial, civil and constitutional litigation and arbitration.
Larsen & Toubro Limited
Tata Capital Financial Services Limited
ICICI Bank Ltd.
Ultratech Cement Ltd.
Della Developers Private Limited
Capri Global Capital Limited
IIFL Wealth Finance Limited
L&T Geostructure LLP
Incred Financial Services Limited. (Incred)
- Represented L&T Geostructure in multiple ad-hoc arbitrations in India arising out of the Work Orders assigned to L&T for the construction of infrastructure projects.
- Representing Ultratech Cement in the Bombay High Court in a dispute (prior to arbitration proceedings) regarding a stevedoring contract.
- Represented claimant Larsen and Toubro in a construction dispute involving various delays and overdue payments.
MZM Legal, Advocates & Legal Consultants advises clients in international, investor state and ad-hoc arbitrations across numerous sectors, including construction, energy and technology. Waseem Pangarkar often represents clients in arbitration proceedings involving EPC contracts and corporate maters. Zulfiquar Memon is also active in multi-jurisdictional arbitration and litigation, spanning such regions as the UAE, the EU and Asia.
The Liberty House Group
Karamtara Engineering Private Limited
SHAARC Projects Limited
Technimont Private Limited
Naaptol Online Shopping
TV18 Network Shop CJ
Skardin Industrial Corporation Limited
The MW Group
Punj Lloyd Group
- Representing Karamtara Engineering in an international commercial arbitration under the aegis of ICC Paris.
- Representing a large EPC company in an international arbitration under the aegis of ICC Paris.
- Representing a large EPC joint venture client in arbitration proceedings arising out of an offshore oil and gas infrastructure project of national importance.