CMS fields a ‘dedicated, diverse team with outstanding legal experience’, which is led by CEE managing director Dóra Petrányi; she is ‘the go-to expert in the TMT market’. The five-strong group, which includes Eszter Csapó and Ágnes Sólyom, advises on high-profile regulatory matters and multijurisdictional large-scale projects across the CEE region, aided by its vast network of offices. Katalin Horváth specialises in technology, fintech, software law and data protection matters. She is noted for her expertise in cross-border e-signature and digitalisation projects and advises banks and fintech companies on banking technology matters. Another top data protection specialist, senior counsel Márton Domokos, is recommended for regulatory and technology work involving cybersecurity, autotech and fintech. Petrányi is ‘brilliant and provides great strategic overview on complex matters’, particularly in large M&A, licensing, regulatory issues and data protection issues.
TMT in Hungary
Other key lawyers:
Eszter Csapó; Ágnes Sólyom; Katalin Horváth; Márton Domokos
‘CMS has a dedicated, diverse team with outstanding legal experience. CMS provides advice on a full range of legal issues to our organization and they are able to respond quickly. It has a great network across the globe with dedicated experts for certain areas that makes the work even quicker and simpler.’
‘Our partner is Dora Petranyi, who has outstanding experience in many legal areas and is also a great strategist. Ágnes Sólyom is the senior associate, team leader with whom I work most. She has impressive experience in commercial law and provides excellent services, demonstrating professionalism and personal attention to all details. I would highly recommend both of them again and again.’
‘They are the top experts in the field covering all three letters of TMT. This is a unique feature of the Hungarian market. Besides the team is quite sizeable and capable of supporting us with complex and strategic legal advisory matters.’
‘Highlighting Dora Petranyi, who is the go-to expert on the market when it comes to TMT. She is brilliant and provides a great strategic overview of complex matters. Besides Agnes Solyom is one of the key contacts. She is a solutions-oriented adviser, who is very mindful of important issues but is also very proactive working with us finding solutions that truly work in practice. Marton Domokos I also regularly work together with. He provides great service, realistic assessments and is creative in developing the right legal advice for us.’
Magyar Telekom Plc.
IT Services Hungary
Siemens entities in Hungary, Germany and France
RTL Group (Bertelsmann Group subsidiary)
- Supporting both Microsoft Hungary and its European HQ on a full range of legal matters from strategic and high-risk projects to day-to-day technology matters, including among others financial services, privacy questions, especially with respect to the public and financial sectors, and cloud solutions.
- Advising the RTL Group on a number of strategic projects, including but not limited to the full range of TMT matters. The firm is advising the client on the legal questions regarding the permitted use and sharing of data related to television broadcasting, supported the client in the launch and operations of the SVOD service, RTL Most+ and during the negotiations with the client’s partner to resolve outstanding IP-related issues.
- Continuing to advise on formulating the Hungarian AI strategy. The team is involved in the preparation of Hungary’s answers to the public consultation process pertaining to the EU’s new draft AI Regulation.
DLA Piper is renowned for its expertise in all aspects of film and television production, with it often working with major film and TV studios in Hollywood on matters spanning the CEE region and the UK. Its work in this space includes financing, production structuring, contract drafting, broadcasting regulations, licensing and service agreements. The firm also has a notable portfolio of clients in the online commerce, IT services, telecoms, software and gaming and entertainment industries. Mónika Horváth is a leading expert in media law and is the preeminent lawyer for film production. As an expert in IT and IP related commercial transactions, she regularly acts for major technology companies, online retailers, software developers and production studios. Recently promoted partner Zoltán Kozma heads up the technology, privacy and data protection practice, advising on general commercial matters, e-commerce, licensing, distribution and franchise. Senior associate Mariann Rajnai is another key adviser.
Mónika Horváth; Zoltan Kozma
Other key lawyers:
‘Monika Horvath leads a very strong team, which is incredibly knowledgeable about the Hungarian film and TV sector.’
‘Monika Horvath leads the practice and is well known and highly regarded. She is very knowledgeable about the sector, and offers clear commercial advice.’
Knackered Productions Limited UK
Shadow Films Kft
Amazon Content Services LLC
Pioneer Stillking Birds Kft
Marlais Productions Limited
Pioneer Stillking B2 Kft
Harris Squared Kft
1440 Productions UK Ltd.
CP Film Productions Ltd.
VMD Kórházi Technológiai Zrt.
Borderlands Productions, LLC.
Maroon Films Kft
Massive Talent Productions, Inc.
Gold Films Kft
About You GmbH
- Advising Knackered Productions Limited UK producer (Netflix company) and Shadow Films Kft (Mid Atlantic Films company) as Hungarian legal counsel on the production of a Netflix original series currently entitled “Shadow and Bone”.
- Advising Amazon Content Services LLC US producer / Pioneer Stillking Birds Kft a Pioneer Stillking Films company as Hungarian legal counsel on the production of a feature film currently entitled “Birds of Paradise”.
- Advising a Hungarian state-owned company in connection with a complex IT-related procurement transaction.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners maintains a consistent presence in M&A involving the radio, printed and online media, TV and cable sectors. The firm also has a well-established regulatory, data protection and licensing practice, advising household names such as Vodafone and LG. Practice head Iván Sólyom is an all-round TMT expert, assisting with major commercial transactions, e-commerce, data protection, litigation and regulatory mandates relating to new market entries. Managing partner Péter Lakatos is sought after by major telecoms and automotive sector clients.
Péter Lakatos; Iván Sólyom
‘Lakatos, Köves & Partners displayed real expertise in the gaming and entertainment industry.’
Szentkirályi és Kékkúti Ásványvíz
- Advising Vodafone on day-to-day telecommunication law matters and corporate advice, including the 5G tender.
- Advised Norbit ASA on its acquisition of iData Kft. working together with leading Norwegian law firm Schjodt as lead counsel. iData is a technology company headquartered in Hungary, specialising in services related to vehicle tracking and fleet management.
Andrékó Kinstellar‘s TMT work covers general telecoms matters, high-value acquisitions and other corporate transactions, as well as mobile tower infrastructure projects and digital health mandates, among other matters. The team saw the departure of Zsombor Orbán , Dániel Attila Nagy and Flóra Szalai in September 2021.
‘The team has a very deep understanding of financial technologies and can provide commercially-focused privacy, intellectual property and other sector regulatory advice. The team has invested in developing technology/ data security advisory capacities, which is an extremely useful addition to their current services. The TMT group is very responsive, and manages the cases professionally.’
‘Other than being a strong data protection and technology practice, the team has an information security advisor, which is a very useful addition to their services.’
‘The team has a broad experience in TMT, ranging from classic telecommunication matters, to complex technology projects (mobile/ cell tower infrastructure projects, drone delivery, e-mobility, etc.), which is unique in the Hungarian market. The team is using an external IT security and risk advisor, to bring added value to its clients.’
‘The TMT practice has a very broad experience in cyber security, technology, data protection, intellectual property, and in technology-related sector legislation which is very rare in the Hungarian market.’
Vodafone Group Plc.
Delivery Hero Dmart Hungary Kft.
GTT Communications Inc.
Creandum V LP
MKB Bank Nyrt.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Continuing to assist Vodafone in the creation of Europe’s largest tower portfolio, Vantage Towers (“TowerCo”), comprising over 68,000 sites across 9 markets.
- Advised Delivery Hero Dmart Hungary Kft on legal compliance issues relating to the expansion of NetPincér, Hungary´s leading online and mobile food ordering marketplace.
- Advised Infosys, a global leader in next-generation digital services, on the Czech and Hungarian aspects of the acquisition of GuideVision, a leading ServiceNow Elite partner in Europe.
Dentons attracts mandates from international TV broadcasters, social media companies, film production companies, private equity clients and well-known Hungarian media and telecoms players. It is also a regular adviser to film and TV production studios. The team is sought after for advice on asset acquisitions, telecoms and media regulation, licensing, copyright, broadcasting and contentious matters. Managing partner and practice head István Réczicza is ‘instrumental in maintaining a top TMT practice group’. Counsel Tímea Bana‘s practice spans the full range of TMT, privacy and data protection and IP issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Dentons has a long history in the TMT market, which gives the team an exceptional perspective of how regulations and the market has changed over the years, enabling the team to be knowledgeable to the less obvious but often critical regulatory nuances and the behaviours of the regulators and tech companies.’
‘István Réczicza continues to be one of the really few senior TMT lawyers with decades-long history and experience but at the same time keeping a fresh knowledge of latest regulatory developments and market trends. He has been and is instrumental in always maintaining a top TMT practice group.’
‘Tímea Bana: her knowledge extends to content-related aspects of TMT and media, including complexities related to intellectual property and royalties. She is calm, knowledgeable and has the ability to express authority.’
‘I evaluate them as a highly professional legal firm with the necessary industry knowledge. They are one of the bests in the TMT sector in Hungary. Their response time is also great and they are flexible when it’s necessary.’
‘ Istvan Reczicza and Timea Bana both of them are highly professional legal experts of various legal areas, and they have the required business-related background knowledge and the legal connections in the industry.’
Hungarian Football Federation – MLSZ
- Advising Vodafone on various of legal topics, including assistance in the implementation of the European Electronic Communications Code, data protection advice, regulatory advice regarding mobile payment compliance and competition advice.
- Advising a leading online social media and social networking service company, across multiple European jurisdictions, on TMT and e-commerce issues regarding a new app that is under development and planned to be launched in the near future.
- Advising a global television and movie production company in relation to the relocation of the media service licenses obtained under the jurisdiction of the UK to Hungary, pursuant to Brexit.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law, which is noted for its cross-practice capabilities, covers a wide range of regulatory, data privacy, e-commerce and digital media matters. Zsófia Lendvai, who is a recently promoted counsel and IP specialist, co-heads the practice with Csaba Vári; they have a solid foundation in telecoms and media regulations, data protection, IP and the emerging areas of cloud computing, connected cars and e-signatures.
Zsófia Lendvai; Csaba Vari
‘Good understanding of the industry.’
‘Zsofia Lendvai’s advice is very reliable and practical to our needs; Zsofia understands our legal issues from the perspectives of various industry stakeholders, regulators.’
Saber Interactive Inc (US)
- Represented Booking.com in the first instance court review launched against a decision of the Hungarian Competition Authority, in which the HCA imposed at the time the largest ever fine in Hungary for unfair commercial practices.
- Advised Saber Interactive Inc (US) its acquisition of 100% of ZEN Stúdió Kft. Best known for its game franchises Pinball FX and Zen Pinball, ZEN Stúdió Kft. develops, publishes and distributes computer games such as pinball games.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda's Budapest office maintains a strong and historic presence in the region, supported by its vast network and cross-departmental expertise. It advises on a mix of transactional, regulatory and contentious TMT matters. M&A and private equity transactions in the media sector form a significant portion of instructions. The firm is notably active in the growing e-sports and online gaming spheres, where it advises on IP and brand commercialisation through sponsorships and endorsements. Practice head Bálint Halász , David Dederick and senior associate Péter Rippel-Szabó are key contacts.
Bálint Halász; David Dederick
Other key lawyers:
Univision Communications Inc. / General (GMG)
Providence Equity (Project Huxley)
National Gaming and Esports Federation
HAVASI Entertainment Zrt.
- Continuing to support Providence Equity, a TMT specialised private equity firm, with the acquisition of music and festival business in Europe through a newly established platform.
- Advised the National Gaming and Esports Federation, a Hungarian esports federation, on the full set up of its business structure, its regulations and the organisation of tournaments.
- Advising Havasi Entertainment Zrt., a Hungarian private company engaged in managing, producing and selling recordings by Hungarian classical pianist, Balázs Havasi, in negotiating and entering into a long-term cooperation agreement with the Universal Music Group.
VJT & Partners has a strong track record in the Hungarian TMT market. It is well-known for its longstanding relationship with Google CEE, for whom it advises on various IP, telecoms and media issues, such as the implementation of AVMS or DSM Directive in the context of YouTube, block-listing and geolocation issues. It also assists with issues concerning copyright law, advertising regulations and data protection. The firm is also a strong choice for TMT related asset acquisitions and investments. János Tamás Varga advises IT outsourcing services providers on their biggest Hungarian projects in the financial services, telecoms, energy and utility sectors. Endre Várady is noted for his expertise in digital media, advertisement, e-commerce and data protection. Andrea Belényi is active in regulatory mandates.
János Tamás Varga; Endre Várady
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice has traditionally been very strong in TMT and they have the right people to handle all segments of TMT related transactions too. They understand the complex tech business and translate legal aspects into workable and accurate solutions.’
‘Absolutely first-class team. Both quality of service and knowledge are outstanding. They understand the nuances of modern technologies making them capable to provide tailor-made advice. We fully trust them, not only as lawyers but as advisers to our businesses.’
‘The team at VJT & Partners consists of exceptionally skilled legal professionals. They work effectively as a team and contribute with their wide knowledge of local law complexities to support the whole CEE team.’
‘János Tamás Varga and Endre Várady. János is an excellent project manager, is exceptional in supporting business strategic decisions and also preserved his legal knowledge. His technology acumen is outstanding. Endre is a partner whose experience in and understand of the technology sector is a great add-on in technology-related transactions. He provides very considered and focused advice.’
‘Endre Varady knows the regulators’ perspective well and has deep expertise in data protection and IT law, online product-related legal issues. Andrea Belenyi is very reliable with delivering work products and is also responsive to client needs.’
‘Andrea Belényi (Partner) –She is extremely competent in various compliance issues with excellent problem-solving skills. She is reliable, accurate and super friendly. We feel very comfortable around her even in high-pressure situations.’
‘János Tamás Varga (Managing Partner): Extremely professional, very commercial, and always down-to-earth and fast-moving. Andrea Belényi (Partner): Very professional, extremely friendly, superb in communication with excellent problem-solving skills and the unique ability to get to the commercial point as well. Endre Várady (Partner): He is the team’s TMT star. He is very committed with excellent problem-solving skills and pragmatic approach.’
NN Insurance (formerly ING Insurance)
- Advised Google on digital products.
- Advised Simplexxy on implementing law-tech solutions.
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP works with major TMT market players, such as AMC, TATA Communications and Radio Free Europe on the negotiation of commercial contracts, sale agreements and regulatory and licensing issues. Name partner László Partos is the key contact.
‘Full-service law firm with high-quality experts, and capabilities in local and international support.’
‘Customer-focused team with dedicated management and international reach.’
Radio Free Europe (RFE/RL)
AMC Networks CE
- Continue to advise Capture Group on its international expansion, including setting up joint ventures and affiliates.
- Advising AMC on various TMT corporate and regulatory matters both in Hungary and in CEE on a regular basis.
- Advising TATA Communications on TMT regulatory matters in Hungary on a continuous basis.
Jointly led by Anikó Keller and Gusztáv Bacher, Szecskay Attorneys at Law‘s TMT practice demonstrates strong expertise in digital platforms and software, telecoms M&A, advertising and media law matters. It also represents telecoms clients in regulatory disputes with regulators and authorities.
Anikó Keller; Gusztáv Bacher
ID & Trust
XO Trademarks LLC
- Acting for DIGI in challenging the Hungarian Media Authority’s decision to refuse to pre-qualify DIGI Communications N.V. in the 5G frequency band auction.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda combines expertise in TMT, fintech, regulatory and corporate law with strengths in cross-border data protection matters and support in IT outsourcing projects. Lead partner János Tóth is supported by Norbert Bálint, who is experienced in advising IT, telecoms and software companies and start-ups.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising Tricentis, an Austrian software testing company backed by Insight Partners, in connection with a software licence agreement.
- Advising Türk Telekom Hungary on day-to-day general legal matters. The firm also provided legal advice in relation to the implementation of the requirements set by the EU General Data Protection Regulations.