CMS fields a pre-eminent team for data protection, cybersecurity, telecoms and technology matters. The group advises on regulatory matters and on cutting-edge technologies in the fields of AI, electronic signatures, robo advisory and fintech. Dóra Petrányi is a leading figure and also co-chairs the Regulatory Committee of the Hungarian AI Coalition. In media and telecoms, senior associate Eszter Csapó and Katalin Horváth handles fintech and software law. Counsel Márton Domokos is recommended for data protection and privacy law.
TMT in Hungary
Other key lawyers:
Eszter Csapó; Katalin Horváth; Márton Domokos
Magyar Telekom Nyrt. and T-Systems Hungary (Deutsche Telekom subsidiaries)
Siemens entities in Hungary, Germany and France
- Supporting both Microsoft Hungary and its European HQ on a full range of legal matters from strategic and high-risk projects to day-to-day technology matters.
DLA Piper undertakes a range of work related to data protection, licensing and TMT transactions. The team, which is headed by Mónika Horváth is praised as 'the pre-eminent media and entertainment practice in Hungary' and has a particularly strong standing in entertainment and film production in part due to its alliance with Los Angeles firm Liner LLP. Horváth acts for technology companies, online retailers, software developers and film production companies on a range of issues ranging from commercial matters through to the structuring and financing aspects of film productions. Counsel Zoltán Kozma advises on technology and data privacy; senior associate Mariann Rajnai is active in media financing, film production regulation and related commercial advice.
Mónika Horváth; Zoltán Kozma
Other key lawyers:
‘The film / TV team led by Monika Horvath, is without doubt the pre-eminent media and entertainment practice in Hungary. They have a strong commercial understanding of the industry, are user friendly, and pro-active.’
‘They are fully immersed in the film and TV sector in Hungary. They deliver clear commercial advice and guidance.’
Pioneer Stillking Claw Kft
Universal Television Emerald Productions LLC
Outside the Wire Ltd. / Pioneer Stillking Wire Kft.
Zed Films Kft
Shadow Films Kft
Rolls Royce Plc.
Cognizant Technology Solutions Hungary Kft.
Antenna Hungária Ltd.
Volunteer Pictures Limited UK (See-Saw company) / Pioneer Stillking North Kft.
- Advising Netflix / Hocus Pocus Productions Ltd / Pioneer Stillking Films company as Hungarian legal counsel on the production of the television series WW.
- Advised Rolls-Royce on the acquisition of Siemens’ electric and hybrid-electric aerospace propulsion activities, eAircraft.
- Advising Antenna Hungária on the acquisition of a 25% indirect interest in Telenor Magyarország (a leading mobile and broad band service provider in Hungary) and Telenor Real Estate from the PPF Group.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners fields an 'excellent team' of TMT-focused transactional lawyers with a broad experience handling corporate deals, regulatory compliance and licensing work in online and printed media, radio, TV and cable. The firm has been growing its client base in Asia and its offering in the the field of electric vehicle technology, e-commerce and digital media. Iván Sólyom, who is fluent in Hungarian, English and Italian, and is a key name for M&A transactions and mandates relating to new market entries. Péter Lakatos is an recognised expert in telecoms matters at a Hungarian and wider EU level.
Péter Lakatos; Iván Sólyom
‘We highly value the firm’
‘Excellent team with great practice in TMT.’
‘Top legal experts with excellent professional references.’
Magyar Telekom (Deutsche Telekom subsidiary)
Adaptavics Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA)
- Advised Vodafone on the Hungarian legal aspects of the acquisition of subsidiaries in Germany, Romania, Hungary and Czech Republic from Liberty Global.
- Advised Invitech Solutions on a deal involving the acquisition of a telecoms network in Budapest and telecoms towers assets in the countryside.
- Advising Voxbone, a Belgian telecoms company on its Hungarian market entry, the licensing of its activities and the conclusion of the relevant interconnection agreements, with recent work including drafting and finalising the interconnection agreement with Magyar Telekom.
At Andrékó Kinstellar, the key names in the TMT and data privacy team are Ákos Nagy and managing associate Zsombor Orbán who are 'very talented and experienced' in the areas of telecoms, crypto-currency and TMT-related M&A. The duo are acting alongside the firm's Prague office in assisting Vodafone in the creation of Europe’s largest tower portfolio (“TowerCo”), made up of over 61,000 towers across ten markets.
Zsombor Orbán; Ákos Nagy
‘Kinstellar has a dedicated TMT/Data Privacy team, which is unique on the market. The team is composed of four core member, but in case of large projects, they can be supplemented with additional team members. Due to this, they can undertake large projects. In is also rare on the Hungarian market, that high level expertise is combined with large capacity. ’
‘The team is very patient with me, provides answers that are objective and is very dependable when it comes to me and my company’s legal needs. ’
‘Akos Nagy (Partner) – superior managing skills. Understands client’s needs extremely well.’
‘Zsombor Orban (Associate) – understands the industry well. Highly accountable lawyer.’
‘Large and experienced team with a very broad offering in their TMT practice.’
‘The Kinstellar TMT/ team has experience in both telecommunication and data privacy, which is a very rare combination for external law firms.’
- Advised Vodafone in respect of a tailor-made internal personal data-retention policy.
- Advising Microsoft on the legal force of electronic signatures in Hungary and the possibility of conducting legally valid contracts between distant parties, in connection with the modification of a large number of employment agreements.
Dentons' Budapest office fields a team of 'top legal and regulatory experts' capable of acting on big-ticket TMT M&A and private equity deals, providing regulatory advice in the telecoms and media sectors, and assisting with licensing and broadcasting issues. István Réczicza is a leading expert in relation to data privacy, telecoms regulations and unfair competition matters. Counsel Tímea Bana is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘High-end team with great practice in intellectual property. ’
‘Top legal and regulatory experts with excellent professional relationships and valuable network.’
- Representing Invitel, a major player in the Hungarian telecoms and infocommunications market, as the claimant before the court in several procedures aimed at challenging the legality of the so-called telecoms tax.
- Advising Sony Entertainment on the relocation of the media service licenses obtained under the jurisdiction of the UK to Hungary, pursuant to Brexit.
- Advising the Hungarian affiliate of FremantleMedia on TMT matters including programme production, commercial issues, copyright licensing and data privacy matters.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law is particularly known for its advice on regulatory issues involving disruptive technologies, such as the internet of things and cloud services issues. It also expanded its data privacy offering with the addition of Csaba Vári from DLA Piper, who is an expert in the areas of connected cars, e-commerce, e-signatures and regulation of new technologies. Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi chairs the practice alongside corporate partner Ines Radmilovic. The firm has introduced a global TMT Hub app where clients can access the relevant GDPR regulations, competition law issues and privacy enforcement actions across the EU.
Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi; Ines Radmilovic
Other key lawyers:
Bálint Halász is the main contact at Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda, which has a broad TMT practice that spans intellectual property, IT and data protection. The team is sought after by domestic and international clients from various sectors including electronics, pharmaceuticals, retail and technology for regulatory advice relating to the IT and life sciences sectors, data privacy and licensing matters. Senior associate Péter Rippel-Szabó focuses on commercial matters with niche sports sector expertise.
Bálint Halász; David Dederick
Other key lawyers:
Univision Communications Inc. / General (GMG)
Providence Equity (Project Huxley)
National Gaming and Esports Federation
HAVASI Entertainment Zrt.
VJT & Partners' team stands out for its strong reputation working with leading tech companies on a range of TMT matters, including advice on advertising and ISP liability. Technology M&A is a growth area and the practice advises venture capitalists on investments in tech start-ups and established companies. Practice head János Tamás Varga and data protection expert Endre Várady are the key individuals; the duo focus on acting on corporate transactions, cloud computing-based deals and outsourcing deals for information technology outsourcing services providers.
János Tamás Varga; Endre Várady
‘In addition to the qualities of the individuals working in the practice, they are traditionally very strong in TMT and they have the right person for all deal segments of TMT related transactions too. Also, it is very good working with them in the human sense. They generally understand tech business and translate legal into business. I do not come across legal advisory services at such high level elsewhere. ’
‘Absolutely impressive and first-class team. Both quality of service and knowledge are outstanding.’
‘In a word, first-class team. VJT & Partners always delivers values to our tech business projects which is essential for our growth. I would single out four top traits which makes VJT & Partners stand above the rest: inspiring leadership, advisory mindset, commitment to high-quality work and client-driven approach. ’
‘The team members have a wide range of theoretical and practical knowledge. Not only do they know the rules, but they can also apply them. They are also familiar with European practice. They express their legal position in an understandable, concise manner, supported by examples.
‘In-depth knowledge about TMT sectors as well as telecommunication laws in Hungary. Their service has real value for money.’
‘Endre Varady has done outstanding performance in our clients’ telecommunication regulation matters in Hungary. He is responsive, provides value for money, and has in-depth knowledge about telecommunication laws in Hungary.’
‘VJT team always provides an outstanding client experience. They have an outstanding client focused approach, it is truly easy to work with them. They are masters in grasping the most complex technology related matters.’
‘Each VJT team member has strong expertise with a business savvy and client-focused approach. Yet, their diverse set of experience, perspective, and background makes their team extremely valuable.’
NN Insurance (formerly ING Insurance)
- Advised Google on its various digital products.
- Advised Simplexxy on implementing law-tech solutions.
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy focuses on regulatory, competition and corporate advice to domestic and international telecoms giants such as Magyar Telekom and Deutsche Telekom. Competition specialist Tibor Szántó is sought after for regulatory advice.
Magyar Telekom Nyrt.
WPP Group Plc
Deutsche Telekom AG
Thomson Reuters Corporation
- Represented Magyar Telekom, in relation to a procedure carried out by the Hungarian Competition Authority concerning likely abuse of dominant position.
- Advised SIA on the cross-border merger of its Hungarian group companies into SIA Central Europe.
- Advised Thomson Reuters on the implementation of its $17bn sale of the majority stake of its Financial & Risk business and related share buyback offer to a consortium led by the Blackstone Group.
At Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm, Viktor Vasi specialises in transactional work in the media, telecoms and software sectors, specifically M&A deals, contractual issues and advice to multinational companies on establishing their Hungarian subsidiaries. Online gaming and betting is another key area of strength. Gabor Damjanovic is the main contact.
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP focuses on the media and telecoms sectors, where it assists with the negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts, regulatory and licensing issues. Sándor Békési is the main contact.
DIGI Távközlési és Szolgáltató Kft.
AMC Networks CE
- Advised Capture Group on separating various business streams and adopting a three-level corporate structure.
- Advising AMC on various TMT corporate and regulatory matters both in Hungary and in CEE on a regular basis.
- Ongoing advice to Tata Communications on TMT regulatory matters in Hungary.
Szecskay Attorneys at Law's multidisciplinary practice comprises of a 'very experienced, dynamic team', which handles transactional, compliance, competition and contentious work related to the TMT sector; telecoms, digital platforms and advertising are the core areas. The practice has a niche offering acting for advertisers on cross-border campaigns, promotional games and sweepstakes. Anikó Keller and Gusztáv Bacher are the key partners.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very experienced, dynamic team, modest in communication.’
- Succeeded in obtaining a merger control approval for DIGI on its acquisition of competitor, Invitel.
- Currently challenging the Hungarian Media Authority’s decision to refuse to pre-qualify client DIGI Communications in the 5G frequency band auction
- Acting for L’Oréal and Reckitt Benckiser with respect to their business activities in Hungary, which includes advising on marketing and advertising activities including promotional games, sweepstakes, TV commercials and cross-border campaigns from the perspective of local media and advertising laws.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda is active in the areas of fintech, where it advises regulated and non-regulated businesses on digital transformation; e-commerce and data protection. János Tóth handles software, outsourcing and media laws. Senior associate Norbert Bálint provides additional regulatory support in telecoms and media.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising Tricentis, an Austrian software testing company backed by Insight Partners, on a software license agreement.
- Advising Türk Telekom Hungary on day-to-day general legal matters and on the implementation of the requirements set by the EU General Data Protection Regulation.