TMT in Hungary
CMS fields the largest TMT team in Hungary led by Dóra Petrányi. The team regularly handles big-ticket regional TMT mandates, including regulatory, data protection, and cybersecurity matters. Notable practitioners include senior associate Eszter Csapó, who is recommended for regulatory matters and TMT projects; Katalin Horváth, who focuses on software and fintech matters; and Márton Domokos, who advises on data protection and commercial matters. Associate Gábor Bertók was a new arrival in 2020.
Magyar Telekom Nyrt. and T-Systems Hungary (Deutsche Telekom subsidiaries)
Siemens entities in Hungary, Germany and France
UPC DTH S.à r.l.
- A cross-border CEE team advised Liberty Global, the world’s largest international cable business, on the Czech, Hungarian and Romanian aspects of Vodafone’s €19bn acquisition of Liberty Global’s European assets.
- Advised Liberty Global on the sale of DTH satallite TV operations to M7 Group.
- Advising Magyar Telekom on competition and content acquisition matters.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners
Lakatos, Köves and Partners recently advised a number of technology companies on commercial, IP and data protection matters. The team has also been particularly active in the telecoms sector, advising on M&A and market entry transactions. Other highlights include handling marketing and advertisement issues. Péter Lakatos and Iván Sólyom jointly lead the team.
Péter Lakatos; Iván Sólyom
‘They perfectly understand the business impacts to the legal issues and always find a complex solution for us‘.
Szentkirályi és Kékkúti Ásványvíz Kft.
The Coca Cola Company
Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA)
- Advised Voafone on its acquisition of Liberty Global’s operation in Hungary.
- Advised Invitech Solutions on its acquisition of a telecoms network and telecoms towers.
- Acted for Invitel on its corporate restructuring.
Andrékó Kinstellar is praised for its 'deep understanding of the technology and telecoms sectors'. It handles a mix of M&A, financing, advertising, outsourcing and commercial matters. Data protection-focused Zsombor Orbán and Ákos Nagy, who has experience in advising telecoms clients on M&A transactions, are the main contacts.
Zsombor Orbán; Ákos Nagy
‘Deep understanding of technology and telecoms sectors’.
‘Zsombor Orbán is very knowledgeable, informative, and straight to the point‘.
Magyar Telekom Nyrt.
HiVentures Kockázati Tőkealap-kezelő
- Advised Magyar Telekom Nyrt. in relation to a number of separate acquisitions and investments in ownership interests of Hungarian technology, IT and telecoms companies.
- Advising HiVentures Kockázati Tőkealap-kezelő in relation to the acquisitions of Global Web Solutions Kft., Sybrillo Kft. and Power-to-Gas Kft.
- Advised MasterCard on regulatory matters relating to personal data.
Dentons handles a range of contentious and non-contentious matters for clients in the media, technology and telecoms sectors. Managing partner István Réczicza heads up the TMT practice and handles compliance, copyright and data protection matters. Recent highlights for counsel Tímea Bana include advising Facebook on IP and e-commerce issues regarding an app launch, and advising a technology company on its international wholesale service arrangement.
Airbus Defence and Space
- Advising the Hungarian affiliate of FremantleMedia, an international television content production and distribution subsidiary of Bertelsmann’s RTL Group, on a range of matters including programme production, commercial issues, copyright licensing and data privacy matters.
- Advising Sony Entertainment on the relocation of the media service licenses obtained under the jurisdiction of the UK to Hungary.
- Advising the Hungarian subsidiary of the Flex group on GDPR compliance matters.
In addition to substantial expertise in film and television projects, DLA Piper also advises on data protection matters for technology sector companies. Clients include Legendary Features Production, Alienist Films, Carnival Productions and Paradox Pictures. Mónika Horváth heads up the team, which also includes senior associate. Gábor Bertók left the firm in 2020.
Skydance Productions LLC/GM Films Kft
Pioneer Stillking companies
Carnival Productions Limited /JT Films Kft a Midatlantic Films company
Alienist Films Kft. / Paramount
Royalty Films Kft. / Legendary Features Production
Mid Atlantic Films /Legendary
Harry Haft Productions, Inc. / Pioneer Stillking Haft Kft.
Samsung Catalyst Fund
- Advised Skydance Productions LLC and GM Films Kft on the structuring, financing and day-to-day production for the production of Gemini Man.
- Advised Samsung Catalyst Fund on its $11m investment in a Hungarian start-up Commsignia.
- Assisting a multinational technology company with media regulatory matters relating to an app launch.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law is singled out for its quality of service and the depth of its TMT sector knowledge. TMT industry specialist Ines Radmilovic and Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi are highly recommended, as is Zsófia Lendvai, who specialises in IP matters. Google is a major client, which the team has assisted for over 15 years with a broad range of matters including new product introductions and compliance, data privacy, corporate, employment and transactional matters. Recent highlights also include telecoms licensing work, advertising mandates, regulatory issues and IT matters.
Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi; Ines Radmilovic; Zsófia Lendvai
Ford Motor Company Limited
Gremon Systems Zrt.
- Advised Nuance Communications on the $400m sale of its document imaging division to Kofax, a private equity backed process automation software provider.
- Acted for Ford Motor Company on the rollout of the FordPass mobile application in 11 EEA jurisdictions.
- Advised a Hungarian film production company on a production agreement with a US-based film studio.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda advises foreign investors, broadcasters and telecoms, IT and media companies on a broad range of matters, including regulatory issues, privatisations, acquisitions, financings and restructurings. Recent instructions also include data protection matters. Managing partner David Dederick and Bálint Halász are the key names to note, as are senior associates Zoltán Tarján, Péter Rippel-Szabó and Gábor Helembai; Helembai handles gaming sector mandates.
David Dederick; Bálint Halász
National Gaming and Esports Federation
- Advised the National Gaming and Esports Federation, a Hungarian esports federation, on the full set up of its business structure, its regulations and the organisation of tournaments.
- Acting for Providence Equity, a TMT-focused private equity house, on the acquisition of a music and festival business in Europe through a newly established platform.
- Advising Univision Communications on a range of commercial, corporate and employment matters.
VJT & Partners 'consistently displays its excellent knowledge of the IT and TMT sector'. Google is a major client, which the team advises on a broad range of copyright, competition, personal rights, consumer, advertising and gambling issues. The team also acts for venture capital clients on their investments into start-ups developing high-tech products, and recently advised an insurance client on the management of data breaches across various European jurisdictions. The team, led by János Tamás Varga, includes a number of 'business friendly advisers' including counsel Endre Várady, who is recommended for product review and data protection issues.
János Tamás Varga
‘The team consistently displays its excellent knowledge in the IT and TMT sector.‘
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy handles a mix of regulatory, competition and M&A matters for clients in the telecoms and online gambling sectors. Recent highlights include advising Magyar Telekom on its mobile network sharing arrangement with Telenor Hungary, and representing UPC Hungary in an abuse of dominance investigation. Tibor Szántó and senior associate Attila Kőmíves are names to note.
Tibor Szántó; Attila Kőmíves
Magyar Telekom Nyrt.
UPC Magyarország Kft.
BetClic Everest Group
Dante International SA
- Acting for BetClic Everest Group in litigation against the Hungarian tax authorities concerning IP blocking and fine decisions in relation to its online gambling websites.
- Representing Magyar Telekom in relation to a high-profile inquiry of the Hungarian Competition Authority concerning a mobile network sharing arrangement with Telenor Hungary.
- Advising Magyar Telekom Nyrt on the contemplated sale of its subsidiary T-Systems Magyarország Zrt to 4iG Nyrt.
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm focuses on transactional work in the TMT sector. The team advised ECI Telecom on its cross-border restructuring, and is assisting Worldpay with gambling related matters. Gábor Damjanovic, Zoltán Forgó and Viktor Vasi are noted.
Big Bus Tours
- Advised ECI Telecom on its cross-border restructuring.
- Advising Novell Hungary on its corporate restructuring.
- Advising Heartbit, a technology company developing wearable healthcare devices on its series of investments in Hungary, Australia and China.
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP's caseload features licensing, regulatory, corporate and commercial mandates. László Partos and Sándor Békési are the key names.
László Partos; Sándor Békési
DIGI Távközlési és Szolgáltató Kft.
AMC Networks CE
- Advising AMC on corporate and regulatory matters.
- Acting for TATA Communications on contentious regulatory matters.
Sándor Szegedi Szent-Ivány Komáromi Eversheds Sutherland is experienced in licensing and supply agreements, commercial contracts and data processing matters. It counts Universal Music Publishing as a key client, which it advises on online retailing matters. Key names are Ildikó Szegedi and Katalin Varga.
Ildikó Szegedi; Katalin Varga
‘They are flexible, and accessible‘.
Universal Music Publishing
- Advising Universal Music Publishing on online retailing matters.
Szecskay Attorneys at Law handles a steady flow of transactional work, including acting on PPF's acquisition of Telenor, advising on the merger between DIGI and Invitel, and assisting with the merger of M7 and UPC DTH. Gusztáv Bacher is recommended for IP and M&A transactions for technology companies, and Anikó Keller has notable expertise in advertising and marketing matters. Senior associate György Wellmann is a further name to note.
Kulinária Kiadó Kft.
TV2 Media Group Holdings
ZTE Hungary Kft
ID & Trust
NXP Semiconductors Magyarország Kft.
Magyar Éremkibocsátó Kft.
Thales Rail Signalling Solutions Kft.
- Representing Philips in cartel investigation proceedings initiated by the Hungarian Competition Authority concerning alleged anti-competitive conduct related to public tenders for medical imaging products.
- Advised PPF Group on its acquisition of Telenor.
- Advising M7 Group on the merger control aspects of its acquisition of UPC DTH.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda is regularly instructed on cross-border data protection matters and IP outsourcing projects. The team, led by János Tóth, also has expertise in fintech, e-commerce, contentious and regulatory matters. Senior associate Norbert Bálint is also recommended.
- Advised Visma on its acquisition of a majority stake in Hungarian provider of cloud-based billing and invoicing services, Számlázz.hu.