At Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm, practice head Konstantinos Issaias is primarily focused on acquisition transactions in the insurance and reinsurance sectors, though he also routinely handles insurance contract interpretation matters, both contentious and advisory. In addition, he is well versed in new insurance product launches and the drafting of general and special terms for clients or insurers. As for associate Zaphirenia Theodoraki, her core strengths lie in insurance contract law and regulatory frameworks, in addition to restructuring and insolvency matters. Clients include insurance companies, financial institutions and insurance intermediaries.
Insurance in Greece
Other key lawyers:
- Regularly advising AIG (both the local branch and the UK or other entities of the AIG Group) in respect of the launching or the localisation of insurance products, the review and drafting of policy terms and pre-contractual information, and regulatory, transactional and litigation matters.
‘Well-connected and up-to-date on market developments’, Rokas Law Firm is a one-stop shop for the full suite of insurance matters. The team demonstrates prowess in everything from day-to-day support, product development and policy wording to cross-border litigation, arbitration and portfolio transactions. Firm founder Ioannis Rokas is an esteemed name in the SEE market who has served as a consultant on insurance legislation in Greece, Romania and Serbia, among other jurisdictions. Also integral to the offering is the ‘solutions-driven’ Alkistis Christofilou, who is active on the transactional, advisory and regulatory fronts, as well as ‘excellent’ senior associate Viktoria Chatzara, who specialises in policy localisation. Clients include insurance companies, general insurers, mutual and composite insurers, government entities, regulators and reinsurance brokers. The firm has a considerable geographic footprint across the Balkans region, making it an ideal choice for multinationals.
Ioannis Rokas; Alkistis Christofilou; Christos Theodorou
Other key lawyers:
Viktoria Chatzara; Antonios Tsavdaridis; Nikolaos Boutsikos
‘Rokas provide top-quality legal advice. Moreover, the team do not just provide advice but make the effort to understand their clients’ needs, and the lawyers are hands on and come up with workable solutions. They are business partners who are proficient in working both on national matters and on complex cross-border deals with different stakeholders from various countries. Well-connected and up-to-date on market developments.’
‘Alkistis Christofilou is a true professional – a hands-on, experienced, smart lawyer. She is very pleasant to work with, knows the insurance sector and understands the client’s needs, and is solutions-driven. Moreover, she has a broad network and is a joy to work with on international and more complex matters.’
‘Viktoria Chatzara is an efficient and excellent lawyer.’
- Representing Generali in a pension fund management contract case in which the employer defaulted in paying contributions, against claims for payments by beneficiaries.
- Providing legal advice and support to Greek-established insurance intermediaries wishing to launch their activities on a cross-border basis in other EU member states.
- Providing strategic planning advice for the litigation of a passporting insurer’s Greek third-party motor liability claims portfolio, and deciding on the handling of the more serious litigation.
Bernitsas Law fields a 'dedicated', 'highly professional' and 'expert' team with expertise that covers insurance contracts and commercial agreements, bancassurance undertakings, portfolio transactions, and compliance with regulations and legislation, as well as support on the full array of day-to-day issues such as social security and employment issues. The team led by Lambros Belessis is also notably active on the contentious front, acting on claim distribution, contractual documentation, regulatory enforcement and insolvency-related disputes, among others. Of late, the team has noted an uptick in insurance-related M&A mandates, especially those involving foreign investors.
Other key lawyers:
Christos Paraskevopoulos; Evi Kitsou
‘Bernitsas Law Firm has a team of lawyers who are dedicated to their clients, highly professional and experts in their fields of specialisation. They are very prompt with their responses and their legal opinions are always very clear and informed. It is important for us to receive a reliable legal opinion very quickly and to be able to talk to the right lawyer when we need to. In other firms that do not have the organisational structure of Bernitsas, it can take ages to receive the requested legal opinion or to be able to talk with a specific lawyer.’
‘We work closely with Lambros Belessis and Evi Kitsou. We have an excellent working relationship with them and their team and they are always available to offer their expert legal opinions and advice.’
AXA Insurance SA
CNP Zois SA
CNP Asfalistiki Ltd (Greek Branch)
- Advised the majority shareholders of a family-owned insurance company on the potential sale of their majority stake in the company to a leading European insurance company.
- Advised AIG on the Greek leg of the global restructuring of its insurance business as a result of Brexit.
- Advising subsidiaries of CNP Group on a day-to-day basis, including on corporate bookkeeping, regulatory issues, contracts, litigation matters and capital control issues.
Insurance boutique PD Law Offices is hailed as an ‘outstanding internationally orientated law firm with a deep knowledge of the local market’. It is home to an expansive insurance disputes offering which covers property damage, product liability, transport and marine cargo, and workplace accident claims, among many other types of litigation. The firm's non-contentious offering spans regulatory matters, M&A, and corporate and commercial affairs, as well as the implementation of corporate governance and compliance procedures. Clients of Ioannis Pantelidis ‘benefit from his international experience and assertiveness in court’; he jointly heads the practice with Anastasia Daradani and Aikaterini GIiannakakou.
Ioannis Pantelidis; Anastasia Daradani; Aikaterini GIiannakakou
Other key lawyers:
Anastasia Tsimplaki; Apostolis Balis
‘Proactive approach, especially in the area of court proceedings for cross-border claims.’
‘A high-profile professional presence in the Greek and EU insurance markets.’
‘This law office has possibly the greatest experience in insurance matters in Greece. We have been using them for almost 30 years for our international clients in the Green Card claims field and our clients are extremely satisfied with their work and advice.’
‘Great support from all indiviuals.’
‘An outstanding internationally orientated law firm with a deep knowledge of the local market and a tradition of getting the best results for their clients. They are excellent in the fields of dispute resolution and insurance law. One of their key capabilities is their understanding of the client.’
‘Senior partner Yannis Pantelidis has a deep understanding of complex legal issues, and his clients particularly benefit from his international experience and assertiveness in court and in pre-trial negotiations. Anastasia Tsimplaki has excellent experience in several jurisdictions; she is multi-lingual with an outstanding ability to solve complex legal matters.’
‘Highly respected by the market and highly knowledgeable in the insurance sector. A good partner which you can count on for solid legal advice.’
‘The team is easy to access, willing to help whenever needed, and provides clear legal advice and good knowledge of the insurance industry. They are very co-operative.’
ALLIANZ Hellas Insurance Company S.A. (member of Allianz Group)
GROUPAMA Phoenix Hellenic Insurance Company S.A. (affiliate of GROUPAMA GROUP)
AIG Hellas S.A. (affiliate of AIG Europe S.A.)
Bulstrad Vienna Insurance Group Plc. (member of Vienna Insurance Group)
ERGO Insurance Company Single Member S.A. (member of Ergo Group)
Eurolife FFH Life Insurance S.A. (affiliate of Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited)
Eurolife FFH General Insurance S.A. (affiliate of Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited)
Willis Towers Watson Greece Insurance Brokers S.A. (affiliate of Willis Towers Watson, former Gras Savoye Willis Hellas SA)
Willis Towers Watson Greece Insurance Agents S.A. (affiliate of Willis Towers Watson, former Gras Savoye Willis Hellas SA)
Bank Austria Leasing Argo Immobilien Leasing Gmbh (affiliate of Bank Austria)
Sigma Leasing Gmbh (affiliate of Bank Austria)
CORIS Assistance SA (former member of April Group)
BNP Paribas Cardif SA (affiliate of BNP Paribas)
Greek Auxiliary Fund (Epikouri
- Represented Bulstrad Vienna Insurance Group in two actions launched by a German pension fund, claiming that the client is liable under German law to remunerate the fund for the pensions granted to the relatives of the victim of a fatal road traffic accident.
- Brought several actions against the Greek government on behalf of Groupama Phoenix Hellenic Insurance Co SA on the grounds of lack of intervention by law enforcement agencies during political riots that caused extensive property damage.
- Represented ERGO Insurance Company Single Member S.A. in motor vehicle liability claims brought by a car rental companies, claiming payment of the amount of VAT for the reparation costs of the vehicle.
Zepos & Yannopoulos is well equipped to handle regulatory, contractual and transactional insurance mandates, including insurance-related M&A. The practice is fronted by Anastasia Makri, who has a strong track record of representing international and domestic insurers, intermediaries and reinsurers.
Andriaki Shipping Co. Ltd
Euler Hermes Group
Swiss Life Holding
Swiss Reinsurance Company Ltd. (“SWISS RE”)
Fortegra Financial Corporation
Fontis International Inc.
- Acted for Fosun in the second round of bidding for the acquisition from National Bank of Greece of the largest Greek insurance company in life and non-life national insurance.
- Advising a leading EU insurer on the process of sale of its Greek subsidiary, providing regulatory and structuring advice as well as assisting with the preparation of transactional documents.
- Advised a multinational insurance firm on the potential acquisition of a Greek non-life insurer which is currently on hold.
KREMALIS - Law Firm, member of Ius Laboris
The insurance practice at KREMALIS - Law Firm, member of Ius Laboris is headed by Konstantinos Kremalis, whose extensive experience includes drafting the laws for the introduction of occupational pension funds in Greece; his team is active on a number of insurance fronts, but is particularly well regarded for its representation of pension associations in high-value disputes.
Other key lawyers: