Bernitsas Law’s ‘very experienced and highly professional’ dispute resolution practice has a formidable reputation in administrative, compliance, banking, insolvency, commercial and corporate crime-related disputes, with a track record of appearing before both the Greek and European courts in addition to arbitral tribunals. 'Successful administrative law litigator' Dimitris Roussis leads the practice with Christos Paraskevopoulos, who is a leading name for commercial proceedings, particularly in the automobile, pharmaceuticals, clothing manufacturing, insurance and cosmetics sectors. At the junior end, ‘excellent’ senior associate Evangelos Mamalakis specialises in commercial and financial contract litigation and Pelina Leontiadou focuses on employment, insurance and commercial disputes.
Dispute resolution in Greece
Dimitris Roussis; Christos Paraskevopoulos
Other key lawyers:
Evangelos Mamalakis; Pelina Leontiadou; Panayotis Bernitsas; Stella Papakosta
‘Bernitsas Law has a team of litigation lawyers who are dedicated to their clients, highly professional and experts in their specialist areas. They are very prompt with their responses and their legal opinions are always very clear and informed.’
‘We are very happy with the way Christos Paraskevopoulos and Pelina Leontiadou have handled our cases over the last seven-plus years and the results achieved in a string of very complicated and difficult cases.’
‘Professionalism, expertise, responsiveness, flexibilty.’
‘Professionals with 360-degree expertise and a high level of responsiveness.’
‘A very experienced and highly professional team that is constantly available, providing speedy and reliable services. They assess cases not only from a legal perspective but also from a strategic business point of view, which is extremely important for clients. They are very competent, highly committed and effective even under very pressing deadlines.’
‘Very assertive lawyers who deliver results.’
‘The whole team is very efficient, high qualified and professional.’
‘Panayotis Bernitsas is without doubt a leading litigator – he is excellent and highly appreciated. Dimitris Roussis is a highly qualified and successful administrative law litigator. Stella Papakosta is an efficient lawyer in administrative law litigation. Evangelos Mamalakis is an excellent litigator – he pays attention to the details, organises cases perfectly, provides excellent arguments, and never gives up!’
BMW Hellas SA
Cana Pharmaceuticals SA
CNP Zois SA
Japan Tobacco International
Orion Pharma SA
Wind Telecommunications SA
- Represented CNP Zois SA, a member of the CNP Cyprus Insurance Holdings Ltd Group, in disputes relating to insurance products sold in the Greek market on an ongoing basis.
- Representing Neos Kotinos SA in a petition for annulment before the Council of State in a dispute arising from environmental and town planning matters in relation to a land development project.
- Representing Kosmocar, a leading importer and distributor of Volkswagen, Skoda and Audi vehicles, in civil actions filed by consumers allegedly affected by software intended to optimise NOx emissions in certain vehicle models.
Dryllerakis & Associates brings a ‘deep knowledge of Greek and international law’ to a range of disputes. Its areas of expertise encompass business disputes before the civil courts, and private and public enforcement matters in the administrative courts, as well as tax, antitrust, agency, public procurement and distribution-related proceedings. Department head John Damilakis acts as both an advocate and an arbitrator, with specialist knowledge of M&A, employment and corporate litigation, while managing senior partner John Dryllerakis is vastly experienced in litigation before the Supreme Court and in domestic and international arbitration. Civil, business and unfair competition litigation expert Gerassimos Apergis and Panagiotis Kakaletris are also key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
John Dryllerakis; Gerassimos Apergis; Panagiotis Kakaletris; Vassilis Constantinidis; Maria Stoumpidi
‘Their response time when issues are raised by the client is great.’
‘They all possess great and in-depth knowledge of their areas of expertise. They are fast in the delivery of their work. They are reachable at all times, something that is fundamental to the building of long-lasting business relationships with their customers.’
‘What makes Dryllerakis & Associates one of the leading firms and their practice unique is the partners’ and associates’ combination of experience and efficiency.’
‘They are highly professional with a deep knowledge of Greek and international law, very committed to their purpose, hard workers, great communicators and also good listeners.’
‘Quick to grasp and understand in depth the business intricacies of the industry. Clear and precise drafting of legal arguments. Efficient time management. Responsive at short notice.’
‘Great commercial focus and acute business understanding.’
‘Outside-the-box thinking. Great litigation skills. Excellent analysis and understanding of the client’s business and commercial needs. Specific experience in the FMCG sector.’
‘Very good experience and successes in litigation and consultancy activities. Experienced staff in many fields of law.’
ELAIS-UNILEVER HELLAS S.A.
HELLENIC FINANCIAL STABILITY FUND
LEROY MERLIN (SGB SA)
MONDELEZ EUROPE SERVICES GmbH – Greek Branch
OLYMPIC BREWERY (CARLSBERG GROUP)
SYSTEMS SUNLIGHT S.A.
- Defended Sfakianakis Holding SA in a high-profile dispute with a major shareholder.
- Defended Elais Unilever Hellas SA against claims brought by terminated distributors.
- Represented Axioma SA in exercising and enforcing its claims against multinational reinsurance companies.
KLC Law Firm is a leading name for an array of litigation at all court levels, international arbitrations, out-of-court settlements, risk assessment and pre-trial advice. Panagiotis Tzioumas specialises in international commercial and financial disputes, while Alexandros Tsirigos has expertise in proceedings relating to M&A and corporate transactions, with a strong track record in major cross-border arbitrations. Aristides Chiotellis is also a renowned name, as evidenced by the fact that he frequently serves as an ICC arbitrator. Additional key pillars of the practice include civil, administrative and public law litigation, along with contentious IP matters.
Aristides Chiotellis; Panagiotis Tzioumas; Vassilis Voutsakis; Alexandros Tsirigos; Theodoros Loukopoulos
HELLENIC SHIPYARDS S.A.
ADIDAS HELLAS S.A.
GENERAL NATIONAL MARITIME AND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY
HELLENIC GAMING COMMISSION
UST-KAMENOGORSK POULTRY FARM JSC
NATIONAL BANK “TRUST”
GI ANSO SA 4X4
- Acting for entities of the ThyssenKrupp Group in a circa €6bn international arbitration relating to the largest procurement programme of the Hellenic Navy.
- Acting for Halyvourgiki SA in a series of large-scale disputes, including public law disputes before the local administrative courts and a multimillion-euro ICC arbitration.
- Representing Hellenic Shipyards S.A. in a dispute with Hellenic Railways S.A. involving numerous claims and counter-claims for damages in connection with a series of agreements for the construction and procurement of rolling stock.
‘Strong, in-depth knowledge and vast experience’ characterises the highly regarded dispute resolution practice at Koutalidis Law Firm. Gregory Logothetis, who specialises in civil, commercial, energy, construction and public law litigation and serves as an ICC arbitrator, leads the department. He is closely supported by Ioannis Kaptanis, who counts concession agreement and construction project-related arbitrations among his key areas of focus, as well as IP and industrial property disputes. The team has also carved out a strong reputation for procurement, real estate and contract-related proceedings. Associate Manolis Kasotakis 'is a great litigator with a very innovative mind’.
Other key lawyers:
Ioannis Kaptanis; Evangelos Courakis; Manolis Kasotakis
‘The team is very responsive.’
‘Evangelos Courakis is a top-notch practitioner. ’
‘The whole team is very efficient, highly qualified and professional. Strong, in-depth knowledge and vast experience are only some of their capabilities. Their advice is always accurate and to the point.’
‘Gregory Logothetis is without doubt a leading litigator. He is excellent and highly appreciated – always available and eager to solve our problems, even at night and at the weekend!’
‘Manolis Kasotakis is a great litigator – very efficient with a very innovative mind.’
‘They identify with us as clients and treat our cases as if they were their own personal affairs, working tirelessly to support us in the best possible way. I believe they are one of the most organised law firms in Greece. They have the depth to support us in various different disciplines (litigation, real estate and tax, to name but a few) and the capacity to handle significant workload on very short notice.’
‘Gregory Logothetis is the most passionate lawyer I have ever worked with. I feel we have developed a respectful, sincere and in all respects impeccable and very professional relationship. He and Ioannis Kaptanis are always there for us.’
Aegean Motorway S.A. [Motorway Concessionaire] an affiliate of Hochtief and Vinci
Hellenic Financial Stability Fund (HFSF)
Crete Golf S.A.
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund S.A. (HRADF)
Intrasoft International S.A.
“UNIPER TECHNOLOGIES GmbH” and (b) the Greek company “ASPROFOS ENGINEERING S.A.”
Deutsche Bank AG, HSBC, National Bank of Greece, Alpha Bank
China Three Gorges
ELTA S.A. (Hellenic Post)
- Acting for Fraport Greece in a multimillion-euro ICC arbitration with the Greek state relating to the lack of proper maintenance by the Greek state of the 14 Greek regional airports for which the client holds the concession.
- Defending Aegean Motorway SA before the Supreme Court in claims exceeding €20m brought by bus companies, restaurants and other claimants affected by a major rockfall in the Tempi Valley, and representing the same client in arbitration proceedings against the Greek state relating to the issuance of an operation permit for the biggest motorway tunnels in the Balkan region.
- Representing the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF) in litigation brought by the Hellenic Olympic Committee over the tenure of real estate in Athens.
Lambadarios Law Firm
‘One of the market’s strongest dispute resolution teams', Lambadarios Law Firm is particularly well regarded for contentious matters in the banking, infrastructure, IT, energy and gaming arenas. John Filiotis has multiple cases in the highest domestic and European courts under his belt, and has a particularly noteworthy reputation for internet law disputes, particularly in relation to the ownership and liability of IP content uploaded by users. In addition, Chara Daouti leads on defamation and IP disputes, Prokopis Dimitriadis is experienced in ICC arbitrations, and managing partner Constantinos Lambadarios, an accredited mediator, has expertise in construction, telecoms, pharmaceutical and defence-related proceedings.
Constantinos Lambadarios; Ioannis Filiotis; Prokopis Dimitriadis; Harry Karampelis; George Panopoulos; Chara Daouti
‘Strong tradition in international arbitration.’
‘Constantinos Lambadarios and George Panopoulos are standouts.’
‘Lambadarios Law Firm has one of the market’s strongest dispute resolution teams. The team is distinguished for its ability to engage in the most difficult cases across the spectrum and to help clients organise a strategy outside the strict limits of litigation. Contantinos Lambadarios is an inspiring person not just for his team, but also for the clients’ side.’
‘With Lambadarios’ litigation team you will never fail. The mix of deep knowledge of procedural rules, understanding of the client’s business and capacity to identify and present the right arguments makes the team an incredible support for in-house counsels dealing with litigation in Greece.’
‘Chara Daouti is experienced in a wide range of topics, which makes her an excellent litigator. She is very business oriented and quickly understands the client’s needs.’
‘John Filiotis is an experienced litigator and it very much shows in the perfect balance of confidence and wit with which he appears in courts. He is great at identifying the best strategy for written and oral defence, focusing on the core issues and winning arguments.’
‘An extremely reliable firm with the team providing a high level of expertise in dispute resolution matters.’
‘I consider Ioannis Filiotis to be one of the most experienced, knowledgeable and highly reputed litigation lawyers in Greece. Prokopis Dimitriadis retested the proposed solutions and arguments in our case and improved the design and the quality of the final deliverable. George Panopoulos fully analysed the case and came back very quickly with the first draft of the deliverable set of proposals/solutions.’
Public Power Corporation (PPC)
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
- Retained by Piraeus Bank to act on a €90m ICC arbitration claim.
- Acting for the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF) in an ICC arbitration stemming from the €1bn concession agreement signed by the Greek state regarding the concession of 14 regional airports.
- Acting for Heron S.A. in two civil procedures relating to interest owed on delayed payments, and additional payments owed.
Home to a ‘great team of partners and associates’, A. & K. Metaxopoulos & Partners Law Firm is engaged for TMT, IP, family, product and contractual disputes. It operates across a range of industries including the medical, pharmaceutical, energy, travel and leisure sectors, often on matters which span multiple jurisdictions. Kriton Metaxopoulos, hailed as a ‘go-to' dispute resolution lawyer with a ‘good sense of commercial perspectives' has a strong track record in cases spanning Italy, Lebanon, France and Eastern Europe in addition to Greece; he jointly leads the department with Irini Daroussou.
Kriton Metaxopoulos; Irini Daroussou
‘Specialists in IP. Great team of partners and associates, all of whom are available. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Kriton Metaxopoulos is our go-to partner. He provides sensible commercial advice. He has a good sense of the commercial perspective.’
DIGITAL PRESS HELLAS
- Representing a major international conglomerate in all matters related to copyright and trade mark protection, including all antipiracy civil and penal litigation.
- Representing a multinational cigarette and tobacco company in a patent dispute against another major multinational cigarette and tobacco company.
- Representing one of the most famous luxury hotels in Greece in various judicial and extrajudicial disputes with an international logistics company, regarding logistics, storage and transport contracts.
AKL Law Firm's workload of late has spanned jurisdictions as varied as the UK, Finland, the Netherlands, Cyprus and Israel, and encompasses a wealth of civil, administrative and commercial disputes before the Council of State, Court of Audit and Supreme Court, among others. The 'excellent' Sotiris Foteas is 'outstanding in court', while Constantine Alexiou enjoys an ‘iconic reputation in the Greek legal market'. The pair jointly head the department, which counts a number of household names in the food, real estate, retail and construction spaces among its clients, in addition to high-net-worth individuals.
Constantine Alexiou; Sotiris Foteas
‘Professional and immediate responses to the legal issues that arise. Exemplary legal services whilst maintaining personal direct contact.’
‘Constantine Alexiou is an industrious, brilliant, reactive and caring individual who has an iconic reputation in the Greek legal market yet maintains a personal, empathetic approach to all the issues that arise.’
‘Sotiris Foteas is outstanding in court. He is backed by a very strong team which ensures in-depth legal research and the coherent substantiation of submissions.’
‘Not only is Sotiris Foteas an excellent legal practitioner who understands the essence of all issues, but he also has strong managerial skills which permit him to advise the client in a way that provides legal certainty and day-to-day effectiveness in business.’
LAMDA DEVELOPMENT S.A.
LAMDA OLYMPIA VILLAGE (LOV) S.A.
LAMDA DOMI S.A.
JOINT VENTURE ATTENE S.A. – LATOMIKI S.A.
HELLENIC SHIPYARDS S.A.
SPECIAL FINANCIAL SOLUTIONS S.A. (the Greek Representative of AMOEBA DESIGNATED ACTIVITY COMPANY, a Bain Capital vehicle)
PIRAEUS BANK S.A.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch International Designated Activity Company
EIDIKOU SKOPOU DEKATESSERA (14SPV)-a Member of the Dolphin Capital Group
BURBERRY LIMITED UK
ABN AMRO BANK S.A.
METLIFE MUTUAL FUND COMPANY
SHOP & TRADE S.A.
GI & KATASKEVI S.A.
ACADEMY OF ATHENS
THE NATIONAL THEATRE OF GREECE
- Represented a consortium of Greek banks (Eurobank, Pireaus Bank and Alpha Bank) in the context of the judicial protection sought in the framework of a syndicated bond loan granted to one of the most prestigious groups in the hospitality sector.
- Representing LAMDA Domi SA in proceedings regarding the use and exploitation rights over the International Broadcasting Centre (part of the Athens 2004 Olympic Complex) and lease amounts of a period of approximately ten years.
- Representing Burberry Ltd UK in two different proceedings filed by Aromca S.A., a Greek distributor in the fragrance sector.
At Ballas, Pelecanos & Associates LPC, work primarily revolves around product liability, sale of goods, distribution and agency disputes, in addition to IP litigation, namely patent and trade mark-related claims. In addition, the team has handled a number of employment, real estate and construction proceedings of late and is active at all levels of the domestic courts, as well as handling acting on ICC and LCIA arbitrations. George Ballas is a leading name for IP disputes and heads the team together with Gregory Pelecanos, who has expertise in competition, energy, environmental and corporate finance litigation.
Gregory Pelecanos; George Ballas
Other key lawyers:
Dimitrios Giannimaras; Alexander Rammos; George Moukas; Anthony Mavrides
Mercedes Benz Hellas S.A/ DAIMLER AG
Ford Motor Hellas SA
AGET HERACLES LAFARGE HOLCIM
SLHRE NEWCO 2 SRL -CONSTRUCTION
Europ Assistance SA. Greek Branch
Hitatchi Europe SA.
PRENECON PRIME ENERGY SA
TOBACCO LEAF -A.MICHAELIDES SA.
MEGA DISPOSABLES SA
LANDIS & GYR AG
SYSTEMS SUNLIGHT SA
La Prairie Group AG
TEVA Europe pharmaceuticals SA
FKG DENTAIRE SA
AMER SPORTS EXPORT GmbH
- Defended Pharmathen and Teva Pharmaceuticals Europe in a patent infringement dispute with Novartis.
- Defended Mercedes-Benz Hellas before the Council of State in proceedings brought by the Greek state, which had imposed fines on the client amounting to €84.5m for alleged transfer pricing and customs violations.
- Defended Aget Heracles S.A. (part of LafargeHolcim) against multiple claims filed with the Court of First Instance of Volos by environmental groups and the municipality of Volos, alleging violations of environmental licences and claiming compensation.
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners
The caseload of the team at Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners is extremely varied, spanning oil and gas, insurance, corporate and M&A, sale of goods and infrastructure disputes, among others. The team represents both Greek and multinational clients and is also home to distinguished expertise in investment arbitration. Managing partner and ‘creative thinker' Ioannis Vassardanis leads the department with Eleni Tsakri, whose specialist areas include energy, construction and public procurement litigation. Their team enjoys a strong reputation before a number of international arbitration venues, including the ICC, LCIA and SCC.
Ioannis Vassardanis; Eleni Tsakri
Other key lawyers:
‘Ioannis Vassardanis is a very creative thinker and has a wide knowledge and understanding of English law as well as Greek law.’
ASEA BROWN BOVERI S.A. (ABB)
AVAX S.A. (former J&P-AVAX)
- Representing Avax S.A. in a dispute arising from the performance of agreements for the execution of a portion of the construction works, services and supplies for a polypropylene plant in Thessaloniki, Greece, between the client and Tecnimont S.p.A.
- Acting for Avax S.A in an ICSID arbitration after the implementation of a significant energy project in Lebanon, for which the client was awarded a tender, was prevented due to several acts and omissions of the Lebanese state.
Hailed for its 'international perspective', Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm is particularly active in cross-border litigation and arbitration. Recently promoted partner Vicky Kriketou focuses on product liability disputes, particularly relating to defective pharmaceutical products, along with tort, distribution, antitrust and commercial agency litigation. She heads the department alongside managing partner John Kyriakides, whose caseload spans agency agreement, trade mark and patent, gaming and betting, debt collection and law of obligation-related disputes. In addition, Panos Alexandris specialises in public law and liquidation of asset matters, and Anthony Hadjioannou is ‘extremely thorough without losing the big picture’.
John Kyriakides; Vicky Kriketou
Other key lawyers:
Panos Alexandris; Anthony Hadjioannou; Apostolos Kourtis; Niki Orfanidou
‘The firm offers a very large and complete team to cater to individuals and firms working in Greece. Their international perspective and fluency in many languages make them unique in Greece. Also, they are totally up to date with current technologies and communication processes. The team are excellent and are at the top of their game in each department.’
‘John Kyriakides provides a superior and all-encompassing vision, very good connections with all the services that may assist with the case, and is thorough and dedicated with exceptional ethics.’
‘Anthony Hadjioannou is extremely thorough about the details of the case without losing the big picture. A relentless warrior.’
‘Covers a wide range of legal practice with great time management.’
‘Very responsive, good legal knowledge and commercial acumen.’
‘Hands-on, prompt responses, good availability.’
‘Extensive knowledge of the topic and good cooperation among the team members.’
Home to ‘litigators experienced in various practice areas’, Moussas & Partners Attorneys at Law focuses on disputes arising from banking and securities, shareholder, facility and M&A agreements. Managing partner Nicholas Moussas, hailed as a ‘recognised and respected litigator', enjoys a formidable reputation for energy disputes, while fellow practice head Vassilios Moussas is skilled in real estate, insurance and contractual litigation, in addition to the enforcement of overseas judgments. Additional areas of strength include consumer law, product liability and corporate obligation-related disputes.
Nicholas Moussas; Vassilios Moussas
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is highly motivated, competent and pragmatic. They are commercially minded and provide excellent and on-point advice on Greek law and are always there for us, often under very tight time frames. They also provide solid guidance and options regarding going to court or not going to court. They stand their ground and are very robust.’
‘Nicholas Moussas has skills and expertise of the highest level; his wide-ranging contentious and non-contentious experience enables him to grasp the core of every matter swiftly and provide effective solutions. Vassilios Moussas is extremely diligent, responsible and proactive, and is on top of every issue and case no matter the complexity. Maria Malikouti continually offers excellent advice based on a real ability to read clients.’
‘The firm has vast experience in litigation and dispute resolution matters, both before the ordinary courts and before arbitral tribunals. The fact that they have also a robust commercial and corporate practice adds value to their work as litigators. Their advantage is that their litigation team has experience in a wide spectrum of matters, and is thus able to see and understand the full picture.’
‘Nicholas and Vassilios Moussas are experienced lawyers and litigators, who are knowledgeable, easily accessible, smart and able analyse matters with a commercial approach, thereby assisting the client in decision making.’
‘Litigators experienced in various practice areas, with a holistic and practical approach. A personal touch combined with practical solutions and advice.’
‘Nicholas Moussas is a recognised and respected litigator, who takes personal care of his cases, supported by experienced and qualified lawyers.’
VOLKSWAGEN AG, AUDI AG, SEAT SA
HELLENIC HALYVOURGIA SA
MYTILINEOS HOLDINGS SA
HUGO BOSS AG
KRAFT HEINZ COMPANY (former H.J. HEINZ Company)
ALUMINIUM OF GREECE
MYTILINEOS SA – ELECNOR SA consortium
Municipality of Spetses Island
PROTERGIA SA, KORINTHOS POWER SA
- Advising and successfully representing Volkswagen AG, Audi AG and Seat SA before the Greek courts in numerous cases brought by Greek vehicle owners, claiming damages on the basis of violation of consumer protection legislation and European regulations and standards.
- Successfully represented a consortium comprised of the Greek company Mytilineos and the Spanish company Elecnor SA before the Council of State in a challenge to the results of a tendering procedure for the installation of an electrification system for a new double-track railway line in the Peloponnese.
- Successfully represented the municipality of the Greek island of Speyses before the Council of State in high-value litigation relating to a public tender for a project involving the commission and the installation of remote-control equipment for the supervision and operation of the water supply system on the island.
Hailed as ‘leaders in technology-related and competition litigation' and ‘at the very top of agency dispute practices', Nikolinakos & Partners Law Firm fields a ‘committed and creative team of litigators’. The department is jointly headed by managing partner Nikos Nikolinakos, who focuses on TMT and competition litigation; Dina Kouvelou, who is an expert in competition, TMT and agency disputes; and Alexis Spyropoulos, who is 'vastly experienced’ in litigation before the administrative courts. Among other standout developments over the past 12 months, the team notably added Airbnb and Facebook to its already formidable client roster.
Nikos Nikolinakos; Dina Kouvelou; Alexis Spyropoulos
‘This is a formidable dispute resolution practice and a go-to firm for antitrust and technology-related litigation. It is detail-oriented and provides excellent strategic advice. It is outstanding in terms of knowledge, response times and expertise. I appreciate the team’s expert advice and creative solutions, involvement and commitment. The whole team is extremely professional and hardworking.’
‘They are considered as the absolute specialists in litigation related to technology, telecoms, data protection and cybersecurity matters, and their partners’ sectoral expertise is unique and impressive.’
‘Alexis Spyropoulos stands out for his strategically aware advice and excellent technical legal skills. He is efficient, pragmatic and solutions-driven. He is vastly experienced in representing clients before the administrative courts and regulatory authorities. He is always exceptionally well prepared and has a calm demeanour.’
‘Dina Kouvelou is sharp and analytical and stands out for her strategic vision and experience. She is technically strong and shows excellent attention to detail. Her work quality and efficiency is exceptional. She inspires confidence and achieves positive outcomes.’
‘We immediately felt that Dina Kouvelou was a stellar professional, and her assistance throughout complex legal matters and conversations with local authorities proved us right. She is a fantastic lawyer, capable of summarising complex legal matters into brief explanations that make any regulatory dilemma easy to solve. She has a great ability to cope with pressure and difficult counterparties with professionalism and grace.’
‘The team is characterised by its deep legal knowledge, professionalism and quality of service. They possess excellent skills in handling complicated and demanding cases.’
‘Dina Kouvelou has tremendous experience, excellent judgement and strong strategic vision. She is also a clever strategist and an experienced litigator. I strongly recommend her for her deep knowledge, expertise, client focus and responsiveness.’
‘Nikos Nikolinakos is supremely knowledgeable, creative and responsive. He is very attentive to detail and easy to work with.’
Innovis Pharma S.A.
Lamda Hellix S.A.
Profile Software S.A.
Volton Hellenic Energy S.A.
- Representing Vodafone in hearings before the Greek telecoms regulatory authority (EETT) regarding the installation and operation of antenna sites.
- Defending Airbnb in a lawsuit brought before the civil courts of Athens.
- Representing Facebook Inc. in a lawsuit brought before the civil courts of Athens.
At Papapolitis & Papapolitis, the team’s strengths lie in disputes arising from employment, credit facility, commercial and construction agreements, in addition to insolvency, product liability, regulatory compliance and public tender-related litigation. It handles proceedings across the full array of civil, administrative and commercial courts, as well as mediation and arbitration. Senior partner John Papapolitis has extensive experience in contentious M&A, privatisation and inward investment matters, while fellow department co-head George Gravias is particularly adept in employment, infrastructure and IP litigation. Key sectors include energy, telecoms, real estate, insurance and financial services.
John Papapolitis; George Gravias
Lamda Development S.A.
Intracom Holdings S.A.
Philips Hellas S.A.
Invel Real Estate Partners
- Acting for Hellenic Telecommunications Organisation S.A. in a dispute regarding Teledome S.A.’s bankruptcy procedure.
- Acted as counsel to the Intralot Group in a €150m dispute with Glory Technology, a local gaming provider.
- Acting for Philips Hellas S.A. and Philips Lighting Hellas S.A. in a €14m dispute against the state and numerous state-owned hospitals.
Politis & Partners' 'very efficient, experienced and professional' team is experienced in handling complex commercial disputes, in addition to excelling in banking, tort, insurance, IP, antitrust and securities-related litigation. The team provides representation at all court levels, from the first-instance courts all the way through to the Supreme Court, and is also active before the EU General Court. Managing partner Vangelis Politis stands out for his ‘significant experience’ in contentious corporate and commercial matters, including several high-value international arbitrations. Sector strengths include IT, energy, pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Vangelis Politis; Angeliki Saratsi; Olga Lytra; Emmanouil Savoidakis; Nikos Anastopoulos
‘Politis & Partners has a skilled team of lawyers who are readily available and we have no problem reaching them when their services are needed. The team is very efficient, experienced and professional. Vangelis Politis has significant experience.’
‘Angeliki Saratsi is very experienced in commercial law matters and has the ability to offer pragmatic solutions and adapt them to the actual needs of her clients. In addition, she is very responsive and always very well prepared.’
‘Emmanouil Savoidakis is also well regarded for his valuable support on the full range of corporate, civil and commercial law, as well as in regulatory matters. He routinely drafts reasoned legal opinions and provides guidance.’
‘Managing partner Vangelis Politis is a formidable, determined and astute litigator with a wealth of experience in international arbitration and litigation.’
Bausch Health Hellas S.A. member of the Bausch Health Group
Abbott Laboratories Hellas S.A.
Sun Chemical Publications Hellas S.A.
Eurobank S.A. (Aspis Bank litigation)
SPI Energy Co. Ltd (SPI)
Mood Media Hellas LLC
V+O Communication & Consulting S.A.
- Representing the European Commission in litigation against beneficiaries of EU framework subsidy programmes.
- Handling a cross-border claim in an amount exceeding €54m on behalf of SPI Energy against a Chinese state-owned enterprise.
- Acting for Bausch Health Hellas S.A. in a number of arbitration and litigation proceedings with former distributors, suppliers and employees.
PotamitisVekris Law Firm fields a ‘very strong litigation team’. Xenophon Paparrigopoulos is a leading name for trade mark protection, unfair competition, parallel import and other IP disputes, with a proven track record before the Hellenic Competition Commission (HCC) and Greece’s Supreme Courts. Department head Konstantinos Papadiamantis handles breach of regulation proceedings in a number of industries, including banking, pharmaceuticals, transport and medicinal products. Maria Ferfeli is an up-and-coming name for banking, civil and commercial disputes, while fellow associate Theodora Souma is a 'go-to lawyer in complex situations'.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Ferfeli; Xenophon Paparrigopoulos; Alexandros Kortesis; Theodora Souma
‘They have a very strong litigation team who are well aware of how the system works in Greece.’
‘Konstantinos Papadiamantis and Maria Ferfeli stand out for their depth of knowledge and their commercial awareness.’
‘An excellent team, presenting in-depth analysis and providing smart solutions.’
‘Accurate, prompt, and easy to access. I would single out Alexandros Kortesis.’
‘The dispute resolution team works with great diligence and efficiency, with very good knowledge of the matters involved.’
‘Konstantinos Papadiamantis has very extensive technical knowledge and expertise in handling difficult cases. Furthermore, he has been recognised for his excellent communication skills and ability to find solutions in complex situations.’
‘Alexandros Kortesis has an eye for detail and accuracy and problem-solving skills. A resilient and commercial lawyer who puts an emphasis on legal risk assessment.’
‘Konstantinos Papadiamantis and Theodora Souma are extremely client-oriented and responsive. They are go-to lawyers in complex situations.’
Intrum Hellas SA
MOTOR OIL HELLAS SA
PAK GROUP B.V.
ISS FACILITY SERVICES SA
BANK OF CYPRUS LTD
EUROBULK LTD (member of the Euroseas corporate group)
NOTOS COM HOLDING
PROCTER & GAMBLE
Gregory’s Micromeals S.A.
CSL BEHRING HELLAS
PRAKTIKER HELLAS SA
IREON INVESTMENTS LTD, belongs to the Motor Oil Group of companies
- Representing Ireon Investments Ltd (a shareholder of a Greek bank) in pending ICC arbitration proceedings against a foreign financial institution for the recovery of claims leakage arising from an SPA (for a disputed amount exceeding €6m).
- Acting for SFS AEDADP, a servicer of non-performing loans, acting on behalf of a well-known investment fund, in actions for the recovery of secured debts of a significant value against several borrowers.
- Representing Bank of Cyprus Public Company in claims brought in Greece by creditors of Cyprus Popular Bank, a Cyprus legal entity acquired by the Bank of Cyprus special administration, regarding real estate property of CPB in Greece.
Rokas Law Firm is highly regarded for its ‘deep subject matter knowledge and understanding of the client’s needs and priorities’. Though the team has traditionally enjoyed an excellent reputation for contentious insurance matters, it has recently made strides in the energy and pharmaceutical sectors and is also well equipped to handle disputes relating to construction, M&A, professional liability, travel, pollution and international trade. Antonios Tsavaridis has an impressive track record in international arbitrations, both as counsel and as an arbitrator; he heads the department with Christos Theodorou, who has noteworthy expertise in administrative disputes.
Christos Theodorou; Antonios Tsavdaridis
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep subject matter knowledge, understanding of the client’s needs and priorities, and precise advice.’
‘Antonios Tsavdaridis provided outstanding support during complex multi-jurisdictional negotiations.’
‘Thorough understanding of the issues.’
Generali Hellas SA
Private Life Insurance Guarantee Fund
Astir Palace Vouliagmenis S.A.
Motor Insurers’ Fund (MIF) Cyprus
AXA Insurance S.A.
Public Power Gas Corporation (DEPA)
Lloyd’s of London
Hellenic Petroleum SA
Roche Hellas SA / Hoffmann La Roche AG
Sunlight Systems S.A.
AGET Heracles – LafargeHolcim
- Successfully represented AGET Heracles, the Greek subsidiary of LafargeHolcim, before the Council of State in an EU state aid dispute over the imposition of compound interest of €44m.
- Represented the Motor Insurers’ Fund Cyprus in an arbitration against the Bulgarian Guarantee Fund arising out of the insolvency of Olympic Insurance Co.
- Represented two major pharmaceutical companies and succeeded in securing a judgment from the Council of State granting a clawback exemption for orphan pharma products.
A team with ‘extensive knowledge and experience’, Saplegal - A.S. Papadimitriou & Partners Law Firm is jointly headed by Alexander Dovles and Elena Kossena. Dovles is a specialist in a wide range of commercial litigation, including disputes over supply, distribution and commercial services agreements, as well as joint venture and shareholder-related disputes. As for Kossena, her strengths lie in contentious financial, inheritance, shipping, asset recovery and family law matters. The team is particularly active on the cross-border front and routinely explores alternative methods of dispute resolution.
Alexander Dovles; Elena Kossena
Other key lawyers:
‘Their strength is their detailed research on each subject.’
‘The team is really strong, experienced and very cooperative.’
‘They are fast and well-prepared for meetings and court hearings.’
‘The team has extensive knowledge and experience and is always eager to assist us.’
‘They have the ability to understand common law issues and integrate them within Greek law.’
‘Elena Kossena is very smart with great strategic skills.’
Alexander S. Onassis Foundation
V. Theoharakis Group of Companies
Rivulis- Eurodrip S.A.
- Representing Teoren Motors S.A. in a variety of contentious matters, including disputes relating to car dealerships, labour law cases and trade mark disputes.
- Successfully represented Athens Euroclinic, one of the most prominent Greek private clinics, in numerous disputes including malpractice cases and commercial claims.
- Acted for an individual in proceedings relating to $113m of assets in Greece which allegedly belong to the client’s former partner.
The keystones of Sarantitis’ practice are real estate, banking, employment and commercial litigation, which it handles before courts at all levels. Headed by Theodora Monochartzis, the group represents a number of pre-eminent multinationals in addition to domestic entities, and regularly collaborates with international law firms on disputes spanning multiple jurisdictions. In a recent highlight, the team acted for Hellenic Shipyards in a claim against the Hellenic Republic regarding the latter’s attempt to annul an arbitral award issued in the client’s favour.
Other key lawyers:
Alexandros Metaxas; Gregory Vlachos; Terina Raptis; Maria Papamichalopoulou
ENAE (Hellenic Shipyards)
HSBC BANK plc – Greek Branch / HSBC Private Bank Suisse S.A.
Allianz Global Corporate & Speciality Ag
Rembrandt Insurance Company Limited
Sun Alliance Insurance Plc
Alpiq Energy Hellas
- Represented the special administrator of Hellenic Shipyards in a significant claim against the Hellenic Republic relating to the enforcement of an arbitral award issued in the client’s favour in the ICC.
- Representing HSBC Private Bank (Suisse) SA in claims brought by two prominent Greek entrepreneurs, alleging that proceedings were issued against them by the Greek tax authorities based on data illegally provided by a former employee of the bank.
- Representing Allianz Marine & Aviation in proceedings before the Greek courts in a long-running marine insurance case over the loss of the vessel Alexandros T in 2006.
Zepos & Yannopoulos fields a team with ‘deep knowledge of the relevant laws', which focuses on handling litigation on behalf of multinationals and their Greek subsidiaries. It is particularly experienced in employment, IP, real estate, tort, unfair competition, product liability and antitrust litigation, but also acts in claims over breach of contract, the termination of agency and distribution agreements, and the enforcement of overseas judgments. Practice head Nikos Christoforidis stands out for construction and energy-related arbitrations, while Eleni Skoufari is well versed in aviation disputes and restructuring and distressed debt proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Eleni Skoufari; Constantine Sarantis
‘The team has a deep knowledge of the relevant laws and explains the alternatives and their consequences to the client with a simple and clear approach.’
‘The professionalism of the team members is the key element that differentiates them from other firms. Nikos Christoforidis is a partner that I really appreciate and trust.’
SKANDINAVISKA ENSKILDA BANKEN AB (SEB)
ATOS MEDICAL AB
ENTERPRISES SHIPPING AND TRADING S.A.
BIC VIOLEX HELLAS S.A.
Hikoki Power Tools Österreich GmbH
- Successfully represented Repsol in a significant case before the Council of State upholding the client’s rights to seismic surveys in the context of hydrocarbon exploration in Northern Greece.
- Represented five major airlines in a claim against Airtickets relating to unpaid tickets following the collapse of Airtickets in 2018.
- Successfully obtained the recognition by the Greek courts of the enforceability of a foreign arbitral award on behalf of Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken.
Alexander Vassardanis & Partners
Alexander Vassardanis & Partners ‘has built a deservedly sound reputation in the field of dispute resolution’. The team is headed by ‘leading disputes lawyer’ Aphrodite Vassardani, a distinguished name for commercial and investment-related international arbitrations. Its recent caseload spans a variety of sectors, including energy, industrial products, chemicals, construction and electric power equipment, and aviation.
‘Alexander Vassardanis & Partners is a top law firm. We are extremely satisfied with the very high level of their legal services and their professionalism. The firm has built a deservedly sound reputation in the field of dispute resolution.’
‘Aphrodite Vassardani is a brilliant and very experienced lawyer. She has impressed us with the depth of her legal knowledge, her professionalism and her dedication to achieving excellent results. We always have an excellent collaboration. She has our highest recommendation.’
‘Alexander Vassardanis & Partners is always committed to the effective outcome of our cases. We have valued their very high-quality work.’
‘Aphrodite Vassardani is leading lawyer in dispute resolution. We trust her ability to handle complex cases successfully.’
Apostolos Georgiades & Associates has a solid track record in cross-border commercial and civil litigation and arbitration proceedings, as well as enjoying a particularly strong reputation when it comes to representing high-net-worth individuals. George Georgiades is frequently engaged on international arbitrations as both an arbitrator and as counsel; he is the key contact alongside Stavros Georgiades.
Drakopoulos 'responds efficiently to complex legal problems'. The team headed by Sophia Ampoulidou, Michalis Kosmopoulos and Panagiotis Drakopoulos handles a broad spectrum of litigation, including IP, product liability, commercial, competition, real estate, banking and construction disputes. Cross-border work is particularly pivotal to the offering, with the firm routinely appearing before the EU courts and in international arbitrations, providing an integrated service across its offices in the Balkans.
Sophia Ampoulidou; Michalis Kosmopoulos; Panagiotis Drakopoulos
‘People you can trust. They show great empathy.’
‘We have been using Drakopoulos for over ten years. They respond efficiently to complex legal problems with flexible commercial solutions, helping us to achieve our business objectives.’
‘Drakopoulos’ lawyers know the law and advise us on what we cannot do, but they also have the legal skills to understand our business vision and assist us with materialising our objectives in a secure and effective way. I would recommend Panagiotis Drakopoulos for his deep market knowledge and business-oriented approach. When things seem to have reached an impasse, Panagiotis provides innovative, market-savvy and win-win solutions.’
RAJO (member of MEGGLE GROUP)
DIMITRA EDUCATION & CONSULTING APOPSI CENTER OF EMPLOYMENT TRAINING
VICTINI LOGISTICS PARK
MELITA POWER DIESEL
- Representing Hellenic Shipyards, the largest shipyard in the eastern Mediterranean region, in ICC arbitration proceedings against the Hellenic Republic.
- Successfully defended TUI France before the Court of First Instance of Athens in a €3.1m claim.
- Representing Slovakian company Rajo, a member of MEGGLE Group, in a €2m unfair competition case.
Fortsakis, Diakopoulos, Mylonogiannis & Associates Law Firm provides ‘a client-friendly approach, even in difficult matters’. The dispute resolution offering is fronted by George Mylonogiannis and is well versed in international arbitration and administrative litigation. It also frequently acts on behalf of international suppliers and organisations in commercial and public procurement disputes with the Greek government.
Other key lawyers:
Petros Pantazopoulos; Theodore Fortsakis; Nikolas Avgouleas
‘They are very responsive and quick, and they have a simplified and client-friendly approach, even in difficult matters.’
‘Nikos Avgouleas is a top-notch, highly respected young professional.’
Novartis Hellas S.A.C.I. & other companies of the Novartis Group
Merck Hellas & other companies of the Merck Group
Union of Companies “Acciona Concesiones, S.L. – Mytilineos S.A”
Wind Hellas SA
Joint Venture of “INTRAKAT SA – MESOGEIOS SA”
Union of Acciona Concesiones S.L, Mytilineos SA and Intertoll Infrastructure Developments B.V.
- Representing Novartis Hellas and the companies of Novartis Group in a challenge to the imposition of clawback and rebate fees.
Karatzas & Partners is instructed on an array of high-value commercial and civil claims, with distinguished expertise in private banking disputes and enforcement proceedings. Georgios Minoudis enjoys a strong reputation for international arbitration, while Alexandros Metallinos is a go-to name for contentious banking, finance and capital markets matters. Vassiliki Salaka is the key contact for a broad range of commercial disputes.
Georgios Minoudis; Vassiliki Salaka; Alexandros Metallinos
Other key lawyers:
Michael Kyprianou & Co. LLC
Michael Kyprianou & Co. LLC handles both domestic and cross-border disputes, leveraging its extensive geographical footprint which spans offices in Greece, Cyprus, Malta, London, Dubai and Kiev. It handles a wide range of civil, commercial, public and administrative litigation, providing representation before courts of all levels. The vastly experienced Panayiotis Yiannopoulos heads the practice alongside Ilias Tsintavis, whose client roster includes CIS businesses, multinational pharmaceutical entities and European telecoms companies.
Panayiotis Yiannopoulos; Ilias Tsintavis
Other key lawyers:
Eleni Kozi; Dimitris Kotsionis
Akzo Nobel SpA
Ellaktor Group S.A.
Hellenic Steel S.A.
- Successfully defended a major construction company listed on the Athens Stock Exchange against a claim filed by a subcontractor relating to a publicly financed technology project.
- Successfully overturned an appellate award reducing the liability of the defendant relating to a failed build-to-suit lease agreement on behalf of a Greek real estate development company.
- Representing a major mining company in parallel proceedings before the state courts and arbitral tribunal in a claim filed by a contractor.
Moratis Passas Law Firm enjoys a particularly strong reputation for shareholder, commercial, competition, banking and civil litigation, with the capacity to act on cross-border disputes and out-of-court settlements. Dimitris Passas and Nikos Syrmas jointly head the team, which has a solid track record of appearing before the national and European courts and competition authorities, and also specialises in sports, tax, real estate, IP, consumer protection and administrative disputes.
Dimitris Passas; Nikos Syrmas
Other key lawyers:
‘They are highly professional, have excellent and in-depth knowledge of our background, peculiarities and needs, and are highly efficient and respond quickly to queries. They have provided their legal support and services on tough and complicated issues. Their office is well structured, so whatever we request is provided promptly, most of the time within the same day.’
‘Nikos Syrmas is always available to provide his assistance, advice or guidance on any of the issues.’
‘Nikos Syrmas and Dimitris Passas are impressive in the quality of their work and immediate in their response to inquiries.’
Citibank Europe Plc, Greek branch (formerly Citibank International)
Hellas Capital Leasing
Olympiacos Basketball Club
Antenna T.V. SA
CPB Leasing SA
- Handling a claim filed against CPB Leasing SA concerning the recall of bankruptcy with respect to the transfer of two properties.
- Handling all pending litigation before the Greek civil courts against Cyprus Popular Bank, which is under special administration, including claims filed by employees and relatives thereof who were victims of a fire in the former Stadiou street branch, which was attacked during demonstrations in Athens in 2010.
- Representing Citibank Europe Plc, Greece Branch in various consumer claims before the Greek civil courts.
P.V. Kanellopoulos & Partners Law Firm
P.V. Kanellopoulos & Partners Law Firm handles an array of commercial, banking and administrative disputes and is active across a varied range of sectors, including food and beverage, paper, cement, gas and finance. Vassilis Kanellopoulos heads the department, which has a proven track record before all the relevant domestic and EU courts.
At Sagias and Partners Law Firm, the team 'strives to provide legal solutions which are fully compatible with the client’s business needs’. Sotiris Perivolarakis is a specialist in commercial, civil, employment, privatisation and public procurement-related litigation; he fronts the department together with Spyros Sagias, whose wide-reaching expertise covers disputes over direct foreign investment, the recovery of late payments and environmental issues.
Spyros Sagias; Sotiris Perivolarakis
Other key lawyers:
‘High level of experience and knowledge of litigation.’
‘A spirit of collaboration accompanied by correct and workable solutions, especially from senior partner Spyros Sagias.’
‘The point that distinguishes Sagias and Partners Law Firm from other firms is that they really strive to provide legal solutions which are fully compatible with the client’s business needs and purposes.’
‘Spyros Sagias has a deep knowledge of the Greek legal system and can easily grasp the essence of the issues for which his advice is sought, so as to offer the optimum solution, business wise, to his clients.’
PIRAEUS PORT AUTHORITY SA (PPA SA)
SHRE/SHRI LLC (HARD ROCK INTERNATIONAL)
TRITON INTERNATIONAL POWER SA
WRE HELLAS SA
SWISSPORT HELLAS SUD
BENAKI MUSEUM / Nasioutzik Foundation
DELTA SCRAP Limited Partnership
HELLAS GOLD SA
WINGS OF LEBANON SAL
FERRIERE NORD S.P.A. (MEMBER OF PITTINI GROUP)
- Acting for Piraeus Port Authority S.A. in its dispute with the Ministry of Economy, Development and Tourism and others regarding the issuance of a licence for the establishment and function of the client’s shipyard in the ship-repair zone of Perama.
- Acting for Pimana S.A. in its civil case against the Greek state, the municipality of Zakynthos, the Region of Ionian Islands and multiple individuals regarding the cancellation of a purchase contract related to a major investment plan in Zakynthos.
- Acting for SHRE/SHRI, LLC (Hard Rock International) in pursuing the annulment of its elimination from a casino tender as part of the Hellinikon Project.
At Sioufas & Associates Law Firm, the caseload is spread across banking and finance, insolvency, unfair competition, employment and commercial disputes, with Marios Sioufas also offering substantial expertise in contentious IP matters. He heads the department alongside Olga Eftychidou, who represents a number of standout names in the banking space, and Nikolaos Katiforis. Senior associate Konstantinos Konstantellos earns praise for his 'creative and efficient approach'.
Marios Sioufas; Olga Eftychidou; Nikolaos Katiforis
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has extensive knowledge and experience and is always eager to assist us.’
‘The individuals that we have worked with are highly experienced, very professional and eager to assist their clients. We have found that Konstantinos Konstantellos has assisted us eagerly and effectively when his services were required.’
‘Sioufas & Associates Law Firm provides the market with a team of professionals all levels with deep knowledge of the legal and corporate market. The team is able to address litigation not only from the strictly legal perspective, but also by adapting the litigation strategy to the corporate needs of its clients.’
‘Sioufas & Associates Law Firm has in its top management team the best professionals with the highest academic credentials, which, combined with skills such as integrity, passion for achievement and accountability, makes them our most trusted advisers.’
‘Great knowledge and expertise. They provided unique solutions for all tough issues that came up and handled rough situations smoothly.’
‘They are calm under stress, they are positive and provide value in all their interactions with us.’
‘Strong commitment and clear communication.’
‘Konstantinos Konstantellos acts as far more than just a legal adviser and is a valuable partner, providing a constantly creative and efficient approach on every case.’
ALPHA BANK SA
HELLAS CAPITAL SA
PETROS PETROPOULOS SA
PERFETTI VAN MELLE HELLAS SA
DOUKAS SCHOOL SA
ELSA SILGAN SA
WATT & VOLT SA
PAPPAS ELEVATORS SA
AVIN OIL SA (member of MOTOR OIL group)
A & G PAPER SA
VOUCHERS SERVICES SA
A.G.E.T. HERAKLIS SA (member of LAFARGE group)
ELMIN VOXITES S.A (member of IMERYS Group)
KREATA PELOPONISSOU P.C.
At Tsibanoulis & Partners, capital markets, banking and finance, IP, corporate, unfair competition, real estate and personal injury litigation are all integral to the workload. Practice head Dimitris Tsibanoulis is particularly focused on the representation of banking and finance businesses, leveraging his expertise in transnational regulatory frameworks, securities disputes, enforcement matters and internal corporate investigations. His team, which is a member of Meritas, a global network of law firms, also places an emphasis on cross-border disputes and arbitrations.
Other key lawyers:
Marina Perraki; Anna Apostolaki; Emmanouil Komis; Aristeidis Goulandris
Malibu Health Products Ltd
Pegasus Securities S.A.
Pressbox Editions SA/Bet media Editions SA
Bayer Hellas SA
- Defended Pegasus Securities S.A. in multiple cases before the Court of First Instance, Athens Court of Appeal and the Greek Supreme Court in high-value claims brought by the client’s customers.
- Representing Mark Durliat (CEO of Grace Bay Resort, Turks and Caicos) in a dispute over the cancellation of a chartered yacht booking in Greece due to Covid-19.
- Representing high-quality Greek wine producer and exporter Domaine Paterianakis SA in a claim against an infringer of the client’s trade mark for wines, in one of the first successful cases of its kind before the Greek civil courts.
Tsoukala and Partners Law Firm
At Tsoukala and Partners Law Firm, staples of the caseload include banking and finance, TMT, real estate, tax, and corporate and commercial litigation. The practice is extremely active in cross-border arbitration and disputes, with a number of its lawyers qualified in both Greece and England and Wales. Managing partner Eleni Tsoukala regularly handles disputes pertaining to the enforcement and restructuring of NPLs, securities’ enforcement, commercial property and M&A projects.
Eleni Tsoukala; Constantinos Kapitsinos
The disputes practice at Avramopoulos & Partners is jointly fronted by Athanassios Avgeros and Athanassios Safaris. It represents Greek and multinational clients alike in a broad variety of commercial and civil litigation and holds distinguished expertise in relation to enforcement procedures. Additional areas of prowess include breach of contract, competition, real estate, tax and insurance-related litigation.
Athanassios Avgeros; Athanassios Safaris
Calavros and Partners Law Firm
Gaganas & Partners
Gaganas & Partners has ‘in-depth knowledge of Greek procedural law and specialisation in cross-border dispute resolution’. The department’s foremost strength is commercial disputes in the hotel and construction sectors, though it also handles corporate, company director liability, tax, employment and securities-related litigation. George Gaganas has a strong track record in the Greek, Cypriot and UK courts; he leads the practice with Eleftheria Gagana.
George Gaganas; Eleftheria Gagana
‘Wide experience in handling commercial and civil cases before the Greek courts.’
‘George Gaganas and Eleftheria Gagana are great lawyers with a positive and practical approach to any matter.’
‘In-depth knowledge of Greek procedural law and specialisation in cross-border dispute resolution.’
‘Exceptional communication with the partners. Very flexible, responsive and extremely efficient.’
‘George Gaganas has wide experience in cross-border dispute resolution. Eleftheria Gagana is an exceptional litigator specialised in the hotel and construction sectors.’
‘Great professionals, dedicated to protecting your interests in the best possible way.’
‘They make you feel that they are part of your company.’
‘George Gaganas has a positive personality with a straightforward way of thinking. Eleftheria Gagana is a very experienced litigator.’
Alexandria Group A.S.
Deepsea Trading Ltd
Chun Hong Trading Co. Ltd
- Representing Alexandria Group, one of the largest travel agencies in the Czech Republic, before the Supreme Court of Greece in its dispute with a hotel company in Rhodes.
- Representing UK company Deepsea Trading Limited before the Court of First Instance of Athens in its €1m dispute with a Greek construction company.
- Representing a consortium of real estate developers in a €12m dispute with a project employer.
Insurance boutique PD Law Offices is active in the disputes space, where it primarily represents insurers and reinsurers in a wealth of litigation and arbitration. Ioannis Pantelidis, Anastasia Daradani and Aikaterini GIiannakakou jointly front the offering, acting on public liability, construction, transport and marine cargo, professional liability, property damage, product liability and travel claims. The team is also equipped to handle commercial disputes.
Ioannis Pantelidis; Anastasia Daradani; Aikaterini GIiannakakou
Other key lawyers:
Anastasia Tsimplaki; Apostolis Balis
ALLIANZ Hellas Insurance Company S.A.
GROUPAMA Phoenix Hellenic Insurance Company S.A.
AIG Hellas S.A.
Bulstrad Vienna Insurance Group Plc.
ERGO Insurance Company Single Member S.A.
Eurolife FFH Life Insurance S.A.
Eurolife FFH General Insurance S.A.
Willis Towers Watson Greece Insurance Brokers S.A.
Willis Towers Watson Greece Insurance Agents S.A.
Bank Austria Leasing Argo Immobilien Leasing Gmbh
Sigma Leasing Gmbh
CORIS Assistance SA
BNP Paribas Cardif SA
Greek Auxiliary Fund (Epikouriko Kefalaio)
EUROPEAN RELIANCE General Insurance Company SA
YDROGIOS Insurance and Reinsurance SA
ATLANTIC UNION S.A.
GENKA COMMERCIAL S.A.
International Motor Insurers Bureau
PASCAL & STRATIS S.A.
ETHNIKI Hellenic General Insurance Company S.A.
GEK TERNA Societe Anonyme Holdings Real Estate Constructions
- Represented Bank Austria Leasing Argo Immobilien Leasing Gmbh and its affiliate Sigma Leasing Gmbh in two separate actions launched by a high-end Greek hotel company, claiming that lease agreements formed with the client are void.
- Brought several actions against the Greek government on behalf of Groupama Phoenix Hellenic Insurance Company S.A. on the grounds of lack of intervention by law enforcement agencies during political riots that caused extensive property damage.
- Acted in an action launched by the family of a victim of a road traffic accident, which occurred in the area of a construction site, on behalf of Atlantic Union SA, the insurer of the company in charge of security at the construction site.
PPT Legal is ‘able to provide impressive advice on Greek court procedures at short notice’. Headed by Eliana Paschalides and Rosemary Rontiri, the group frequently represents multinationals at all levels of the Greek court system and is active in international arbitration, frequently acting on proceedings against the Hellenic Republic. Other key fields of expertise include administrative disputes, financial claims, shareholder litigation, defamation and the enforcement of arbitral awards.
Eliana Paschalides; Rosemary Rontiri
Other key lawyers:
Alexandra Mitsokali; Spyros Foulias
‘I have extensive experience with the disputes practice of PPT, and specifically with Eliana Paschalides, Alexandra Mitsokali and Spyros Foulias. They are very responsive and are able to provide impressive advice on Greek commercial law and court procedures at short notice. They also put great emphasis on ensuring that their advice is commercially useful for the client. I can wholeheartedly recommend them for complex disputes.’
‘Eliana Paschalides is tenacious and fights for her client with great passion. She has huge experience in the Greek courts as well as in arbitration. Alexandra Mitsokali is highly skilled in Greek law and provides excellent analysis.’
‘I have been very impressed with how the PPT team has quickly gotten up to speed on our dispute and provided savvy analysis and insights that have advanced our client’s position.’
‘Eliana Paschalides and Alexandra Mitsokali bring a very sophisticated, international approach to disputes, and both have a strong grounding in Greek law but also an excellent litigator’s sensibility.’
Privinvest Holding Group
Marfin Investment Group
- Represented clients including Privinvest Holding Group, Skyserv Handling Services and Athenian Engineering in claims in the administrative courts against the Notary Association of Athens with regard to fees imposed during the privatisation of the flag carrier airline of Greece, dating back to 2009.
The ‘high-calibre’ team at Stavropoulos & Partners is experienced in breach of contract, termination of agency and distribution agreements, administrative, civil, corporate, employment and competition disputes. The group is also well regarded for construction-related litigation, particularly in respect of luxury hotel businesses. Evanthia Tsiri is also highly experienced in international arbitration; she fronts the practice alongside managing partner Ioannis Stavropoulos.
Ioannis Stavropoulos; Evanthia Tsiri
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is under the leadership of high-calibre professionals and they provide excellent service.’
‘They are knowlegdeable, experienced and good listeners.’
‘Excellence, efficiency, business integrity and reliability.’
‘Evanthia Tsiri is capable of dealing with complex legal issues and has an impressive track record of successful litigation in civil and commercial cases.’
‘Terpsihori Magdalinou has a positive personality and is very efficient and reliable, with extensive and diverse expertise in her professional area, both in terms of knowledge and practice.’
AKTOR (member of Ellaktor Group)
Hellenic Recycling Company
Du Pont Group
AGET Heracles (LafargeHolcim subsidiary)
Papastratos (member of Philip Morris Group)
- Represented a major international client in the construction and materials sector in high-value civil and administrative proceedings against the Greek state.
- Defended a highly reputed international classification society in criminal and administrative cases relating to official ship surveys.
- Defended a prominent French asset management company in a high-value IP claim related to a famous artwork.
The team at Timagenis Law Firm is 'adept at understanding the needs of the client’ and has 'a significant determination to win'. Gregory Timagenis heads the department, which in addition to domestic disputes also handles a wealth of international arbitration. The firm is highly regarded for disputes in the shipping space, though the team has also handled a number of banking, construction, energy and insurance cases of late.
Other key lawyers:
Yiannis Timagenis; Karolos-Filippos Gavriiloglou
‘Whilst many Greek firms have deep knowledge of Greek law, Timagenis is adept at understanding the needs of the client. This is combined with a significant determination to win, which gives the client comfort that they are really on your side. That is of significant benefit and is a trait which is unique.’
‘Karolos-Filippos Gavriilogou has a very detail-orientated and analytical approach which is combined with an immensely strong work ethic.’
EUROBANK ERGASIAS S.A.
- Acting on behalf of a major bank in more than 30 litigation cases (mostly at Court of Appeal level throughout Greece) concerning loans in Swiss francs.
- Acted on behalf of a Greek investment firm in its claim against its insurers for the compensation of a substantial loss as a result of loss due to fraud by employees.
- Providing (supervising) legal advice on the practice of Greek litigation in the context of a contingency insurance policy concerning high-value complex proceedings before the Greek courts.
V.D. Ikonomidis & Associates Law Firm handles a range of contentious civil, commercial, unfair competition and banking matters. Jointly headed by firm founder Vassilios Ikonomidis and Georgia Patili, the disputes practice is also highly experienced in corporate shareholder and partner disputes, as well as a number of tort-related claims such as defamation and privacy infringements.