Baker McKenzie ‘s practice is among the top players for IT transactions and outsourcing projects and supports well-known international companies in this regard. The team covers all sectors, with a particular focus on the growth area new technologies in the context of connected cars and autonomous driving. Matthias Scholz is particularly experienced in project implementations with a focus on the financial sector and the pharmaceutical industry; he also covers the international tax law interface. Simone Rieken focuses on IT contracts, software development and data protection. The practice is jointly led by Holger Lutz, who specialises in matters pertaining to outsourcing, hardware and software contracts, e-commerce and data protection, and Michael Schmidl, who is particularly well versed in the drafting and negotiating of outsourcing contracts. In August 2022, Patrick Wilkening joined from Hengeler Mueller; he covers the interface between IT and IP law and is experienced in drafting related contracts, also pertaining to M&A.
IT transactions and outsourcing in Germany
‘Large team with versatile backgrounds, deep expertise and broad industry knowledge.’
‘Baker McKenzie and in particular Holger Lutz bring excellent know-how, commitment and creativity to the solution of complex data protection advice.’
‘Excellent availability and short response times. Proactive and independent work; Coordination and consultation whenever necessary. Very high professional level with very good implementation in practice.’
Bird & Bird LLP impresses with its international network, versatile advice offering and in-depth experience. Technology transactions and the outsourcing of digital business processes are supported with combined expertise in outsourcing and IT matters. A particular strength of the practice is supporting outsourcing projects driven by new technology and business developments, such as cloud infrastructure, big data and the Internet of Things. The client roster, of which many are long-term clients, includes large companies from the technology, communication, retail and consumer goods sectors as well as the service and finance sectors. Clients from the latter segment frequently call upon Jörg-Alexander Paul‘s expertise in the context of business process outsourcing and IT outsourcing transactions. Fabian Niemann heads the practice, which has expanded at partner level with the appointment of Simon Assion (information, communications and technology law)in May 2022.
- Comprehensive advice to SAP on sector-specific regulatory requirements, especially in the financial sector and on the transformation to the cloud.
- Advising a global sports federation on the outsourcing of the IT infrastructure as well as on applications and IT security for events.
- Advising a leading global IT outsourcing/IT services provider on several IT projects and outsourcings in the hundreds of millions.
CMS ' advisory offer covers traditional IT and outsourcing projects, where IT law expert Sebastian Cording is a key contact, as well as transactions in the technology sector and the area digital transformation with a particular focus on blockchain-related issues. The latter is regularly advised on in cooperation with the banking regulatory experts. Among the client portfolio are German and international automotive manufacturers, energy supply companies, and banking and financial service providers. Markus Häuser is regularly instructed by clients from the finance, insurance and healthcare sectors, and Florian Dietrich, who specialises in e-commerce and online marketing, jointly head the practice. The group has experienced significant growth at partner level with the appointments of Markus Kaulartz (blockchain, crypto, IT law), Martin Gerecke (new media and e-commerce) and Philippe Heinzke (implementation of digital business models) in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘The IT team at CMS has been supporting us as a partner in many complex IT projects in drafting and negotiating contracts for more than 25 years.’
‘Above average committed and competent.’
‘Fast communication, flexibility, professional, industry knowledge, innovation.’
DLA Piper is one of the leading German practices in IT law and thus covers all relevant matters and interface topics nationally and internationally. Outsourcing projects, such as IT and business process outsourcing, development and implementation projects as well as strategic IT procurement are supported, including design, structuring and management as well as disputes. Cross-border issues are handled thanks to the international network, as was recently demonstrated in connection with a leading automotive manufacturer. The key contacts include IT expert Jan Geert Meents and Jan Pohle, who focuses on strategic digitisation and outsourcing projects, such as ITOs and BPOs. Stefan Engels (IP, media law) and Thilo von Bodungen (commercial and distribution law) head the Intellectual Property & Technology practice.
‘Lots of experience in very large IT projects!’
‘Jan Pohle is extremely experienced and adept, knows almost every situation.’
- Representation of Atos Information Technology GmbH in various projects and IT litigation proceedings.
- Advising Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG on various outsourcing projects, including the transfer of the shared service center for purchasing and financial management to an external service provider, the implementation of the new SAP system, transfer of WAN services, IT outsourcing agreement and outsourcing from LAN/VOICE Services.
- Advice to LANXESS Germany on negotiating an IT outsourcing contract with Accenture.
Noerr 's Digital Business Group has expertise in the areas of commerce, trade, IT and outsourcing as well as media. The practice is jointly led by Thomas Thalhofer and Torsten Kraul; the latter made partner in January 2022. The team, particularly Peter Bräutigam, frequently assists with pioneering digital projects, large outsourcing transactions and multisourcing projects in connection with Internet of Things technologies and artificial intelligence. The team regularly advises in cross-practice cooperation, where the interfaces to finance and insurance law are particularly noteworthy. Joachim Schrey covers the outsourcing of IT infrastructures and other IT services as well as the outsourcing of mainly IT-supported business processes.
The renowned team at White & Case LLP acts for numerous well-known clients and DAX companies. The expertise encompasses various technology transactions, the outsourcing of IT infrastructure, application management, business process outsourcing and cloud computing. Clients benefit from the firm's global network and international cooperation on cross-border mandates. The practice, which also includes data protection and cybersecurity expert Detlev Gabel, is led by Jost Kotthoff (sourcing, outsourcing and various technology transactions).
Other key lawyers:
- Advising a leading private and commercial bank on the reorganization and spin-off of a key IT service provider and the related adjustment and renegotiation of key IT and outsourcing contracts.
- Advising the leasing company of a large German automotive manufacturer on the purchase of the central software for customer contract management together with the corresponding maintenance services for a two-digit million amount.
- Advising a German neobank on the identification and implementation of changed regulatory and data protection requirements for outsourcing relationships in contractual and procedural terms.
Covington & Burling LLP
Covington & Burling LLP 's IT advice extends to various industries and relevant topics, such as regulatory issues, data protection, contract law, IP as well as corporate law and M&A. The cooperation with international locations and other practices in particular covers the interface to life sciences, where the team recently advised on digital health matters. The practice is led by Moritz Hüsch, who specialises in technology-based transactions, the Internet of Things and license agreements and cooperations, and Lars Lensdorf, who is particularly well versed in the management of outsourcing agreements.
Centric Software GmbH
DSK Hyp AG
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
- Advice to Broadridge on the conclusion of numerous additional agreements with clients from the banking and financial services sector.
- Advising a tech company on some of their high-tech R&D collaborations.
- Advice to Centric Software on various international licensing (cloud/on-prem licensing).
In addition to strategic IT advice and privacy litigation, Latham & Watkins LLP is experienced in international transactions, which is in part thanks to the team's data protection expertise. Due to its in-depth experience in IT law, all transactional matters are covered as well as the advice on related issues, such as financing and IPOs. Tim Wybitul heads the practice, which also fields Wolf-Tassilo Böhm and Joachim Grittmann; both are well versed in transactions.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH demonstrates in-depth expertise in IT contracts in the public sector and in software licensing rights, such as open source. The latter is a particular focus of the team, which is headed by Wulff-Axel Schmidt and also includes Maximilian Dorndorf (outsourcing and innovation projects, software and development projects). In addition, clients benefit from Michael Rath‘s expertise in data protection. Christian Kuß, who recently led in the EDEKA Group’s introduction of a digital shopping trolley, is also experienced in these areas. In January 2022, procurement lawyer Tobias Osseforth joined from LUTZ | ABEL RECHTSANWALTS PARTG MBB; he offers particular expertise in procurement procedures in the IT and healthcare sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Rath; Christian Kuß; Maximilian Dorndorf; Adrian Freidank; Tobias Osseforth
‘The Luther practice is very experienced in the field of outsourcing.’
‘Dr. Michael Rath is always available, even in complex transactions.’
Arvato Systems / Bertelsmann
Deutsche Bank / Postbank
Unsere Grüne Glasfaser GmbH & Co. KGaA
AURELIUS Equity Opportunities SE & Co. KGaA
Deutsche Telekom AG
- Advising the Verwaltungs-Berufsgenossenschaft (VBG) in the course of a cooperation agreement with the Berufsgenossenschaft Holz und Metall (BGHM).
- Advising Ernsting’s family GmbH & Co. KG on the externalization of their e-commerce platform.
- Advice on IT law to E.ON SE on the majority takeover of the start-up GridX, a provider of energy management software.
Osborne Clarke's IT practice, headed by Flemming Moos, advises on all outsourcing matters, with frequent cross-practice collaboration with the corporate, antitrust, employment, tax and public procurement law teams. The group accompanies transactions in Europe, the US and Asia and in some instances has longstanding relationships with its clients. In addition to outsourcing, matters pertaining to ERP, licensing, XaaS and cloud are also covered, not least thanks to Ulrich Bäumer's expertise. With the addition of new partners Julia Kaufmann (formerly at Baker McKenzie ) and Lina Böcker (formerly at JBB Rechtsanwälte ) in July 2021 and September 2022 respectively, capacities in data protection, e-commerce and software licensing were added.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very experienced and diversified team with good capacity.’
‘Fast-acting, nationally strong team that acts calmly and with concentration even in pressure situations.’
‘Top; high level of expertise, good negotiation skills, available at all times.’
Tech Mahindra GmbH
KMS Klinik Management Systeme
Addtech Nordic AB
HTGF, eCapital und Demeter
- Advising Tech Mahindra GmbH on the purchase of Beris consulting GmbH and its subsidiary LINEAS Informationstechnik GmbH.
- Advising the FUNKE media group on the takeover of 75.1% of the shares in Musterhaus.net.
- Advising the low-code automation platform Appian on the acquisition of the process mining company Lana Labs.
Pinsent Masons Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater Solicitors Partnerschaft mbB
Pinsent Masons Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater Solicitors Partnerschaft mbB covers a wide range of IT topics, including digital transformation, digitisation, data protection and litigation. Sourcing and outsourcing matters are increasingly advised on at the Munich location; practice head Stephan Appt, who is renowned for his experience in transactions and outsourcing projects, is also based here. The team also regularly cooperates across locations with colleagues from Frankfurt and Düsseldorf. This lineup covers numerous sectors, such as telecoms, technology, science and industry, life sciences, healthcare and automotive. Kirsten Wolgast (IT law and data protection) has been on sabbatical since April 2022.
- Advising DXC Technology on a large outsourcing project with Google, in which DXC is used as a subcontractor for Google to transform Deutsche Bank’s IT landscape.
- Ongoing advice to CCH Tagetik on on-premise and SaaS contracts with customers.
- Together with a management consultancy, support of the Road and Transportation Authority Dubai (RTA) in the world’s first outsourcing of a fleet of autonomous taxis.
SKW Schwarz's IT & digital business practice stands out due to the interdisciplinary cooperation with the IP and media experts, thus offering comprehensive advice on IT and outsourcing projects. The team assists companies in particular with SaaS solutions and other cloud-based business models and the support covers planning, structuring and implementation and, if necessary, litigation regarding outsourcing and technology solutions. Daniel Meßmer and Andreas Peschel-Mehner jointly head the team since 2022 and both made partners in January of the same year; their focus includes platform-related matters and cloud developments.
‘Cooperation designed for the long term. Trusting cooperation and concrete support through good knowledge of our business.’
‘Dynamic and dedicated group of individuals. We get the right partner for every problem.’
‘SKW Schwarz is a very good law firm for areas such as information technology, digitization and data. The advising lawyers not only have outstanding legal qualifications, but also in-depth technical and industry knowledge and good relationships with the relevant authorities.’
Finanz Informatik Technologie Service GmbH & Co. KG
- Comprehensive advice to Finanz Informatik Technologie Service GmbH & Co. KG on the negotiation of the FI-TS in a tender in the sale & leaseback area for hardware with the service provider Econocom; continued advising FI-TS on a second generation outsourcing for the potential customer FMS Wertmanagement AöR.
- Advising equensWorldine SE Germany on contractual crisis management for EWL in an outsourcing project that was set up over many years and was intended to convert a bank to new legal requirements for payment processing.
- Advice on IT contract law and data protection law to Robert Bosch GmbH in several strategic M&A transactions in the field of e-mobility and battery management.
Taylor Wessing‘s interdisciplinary TMT team focuses on transactions and acts from five locations. Interfacing matters in the insurance and healthcare sectors as well as the finance industry are also covered, whereas IT law expert Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche advises on data protection matters. The team, led by Paul Voigt, supports outsourcing and infrastructure projects, cloud launches and agile software projects.
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB advises a client portfolio consisting of financial institutions, DAX companies and start-ups, which benefit from the team's in-depth experience in national and cross-border IT and business process outsourcing projects as well as cross-practice cooperation with the firm's contract, employment and data protection law experts. The team is led by Florian Schmitz, who offers longstanding experience in outsourcing, while Katharina Landes has particular expertise in IT and data protection law; she made partner in January 2022.
‘Florian Schmitz: Very pleasant cooperation. Very good industry know-how, very good response times.’
Deutsche Bank AG
Deutsche Telekom AG/T-Systems International GmbH
Greencom Networks GmbH
Ufenau Capital Partners
- Advising T-Systems on the long-term partnership with Google Cloud to introduce cloud solutions.
- Advice to the HELLA Group on the partial realignment of their IT: support in a tender for outsourcing/SAP services, including contract design and negotiations with several bidders, as well as support in the negotiation of cloud service contracts with various providers, paying particular attention to data protection aspects.
- Advising the MYTY Group AG, an investment company of Ufenau Capital Partners, on two investments: The Munich e-commerce agency norisk Group and the design agency Strichpunkt become part of the agency network MYTY.
The outsourcing team at Greenberg Traurig Germany offers interdisciplinary as well as international support at the interface with technology, media, data protection and telecommunications law. Christoph Enaux is particularly well versed in the latter area. He also heads the telecoms industry group and has additional expertise in the real estate sector. Led by Viola Bensinger, the group advises a client roster, which includes start-ups as well as well-known global companies on outsourcing projects, technology transactions as well as e-commerce, e-payments and other digitisation projects.
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek‘s team comprehensively advises on IT law, including IT security, data protection and the protection of trade secrets as well as IT governance. The team is particularly experienced in telecommunications law in connection with the expansion and operation of telecoms infrastructures. The practice is jointly led by Dominik Eickemeier and Markus Lennartz and also covers data protection issues in the context of transactions and outsourcing projects. Britta Hinzpeter left the practice and has taken on an in-house position in March 2022. Lutz Martin Keppeler (IT outsourcing, transactions, IT security law and open source projects) made partner in January 2023.
Other key lawyers:
The German team at Hogan Lovells International LLP acts from four locations and cooperates with international offices in Europe, Asia and the US, thus offering its clients support on traditional IT law as well as in transactions and outsourcing projects, with a focus on risk examination at the interface between IT and IP law. Investments, takeovers, out-licensing, the establishment of joint ventures and the development of new technologies are all part of the comprehensive range of advisory services. Burkhart Goebel leads the global IP, media and technology group, while Miriam Gundt holds the European chair and Andreas Bothe is responsible for the German team.
Erste Abwicklungsanstalt (EAA)
IKB Deutsche Industriebank GmbH
Norddeutsche Landesbank (NORD/LB) und Deutsche Hypothekenbank (Aktiengesellschaft) (Deutsche Hypo)
- Advising Amira Growth on a stake in the call center and customer service platform Yoummday.
- Advising the US technology company PTC, Inc. on the negotiations regarding the acquisition of the IP and brand of the augmented reality (AR) start-up RE’FLEKT.
- Advice to the Erste Abwicklungsanstalt (EAA) on the structuring and implementation of a total of four major procurement procedures for the outsourcing of several business processes (business process outsourcing) in the areas of portfolio management, financial data management, compliance and IT.
McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP offers expertise in media law, data protection and the telecoms industry and focuses on outsourcing. Led by Wolfgang Von Frentz, the team advises national and international corporations as well as medium-sized companies on various transactions, licensing matters, the Internet of Things, Industry 4.0 and the development of new business processes. The practice also represents clients in court proceedings, where Christian Masch has long-standing experience. Co-head Ralf Weisser left the firm in early 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Diebold Nixdorf Technology GmbH
Hospitality Digital (HD) (Metro AG)
Intersnack Group GmbH & Co. KG
Main Capital Partners GmbH
Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH
SURFTOWN Hallbergmoos GmbH
Telefónica Germany GmbH & Co. OHG
VR Equitypartner GmbH
- Advising Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH on the transition to the AWS cloud with the help of a reseller and service provider.
Waldeck Rechtsanwälte PartmbB is particularly experienced in the telecoms sector with additional recent capacities in the areas of digital assets and fintech, as was demonstrated in numerous related mandates. Companies and banks are advised on outsourcing projects, of which many are large-volume, and on banking regulatory issues. Practice head Jens-Holger Petri as well as Hendrik Pielka and Jan Liepe are are among the key contacts here.
aurelis Real Estate
Bitkom (Bundesverband Informationswirtschaft, Telekommunikation und neue Medien)
Deutsche Telekom AG
IVU Traffic Technologies AG
T-Systems International GmbH
- Comprehensive advice to Tradias (fintech in the field of crypto/digital assets) on the conclusion of various IT and outsourcing contracts in connection with the establishment of the secondary trading platform for crypto assets.
- Advising ING on the implementation of the EBA Guidelines on Outsourcing by negotiating and concluding supplementary agreements for the various outsourcing contracts as part of a large-scale overall ING project.
- Advice to the UmweltBank on the negotiation of the outsourcing contract for the operation of the core banking system and support of the migration project to the new provider.