Baker McKenzie's team around Michel Schmidl (in Munich) and Holger Lutz (in Frankfurt) is 'very experienced' in IT outsourcings and especially highly regarded for its expertise in the process management, outsourcing and consolidation of data centres. Furthermore, the advice on structuring, tendering and negotiations of large infrastructure outsourcings, also including international aspects, represent another central pillar for the group, which also has in-depth knowledge of open source matters and cloud services. Matthias Scholz is particularly strong in transactions and project implementations, especially in the financial sector and in the pharmaceutical industry, whereby the practice can also rely on extensive IT transaction experience at associate level.
IT transactions and outsourcing in Germany
Other key lawyers:
‘Very experienced in IT outsourcing.’
Chr. Hansen Holding A/S
The Livekindly Company, Inc.
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG
- Advising Metro AG on the structuring, tendering and negotiation of a large infrastructure outsourcing project, including the transfer of employees in two countries.
- Advising SAP SE on the sale of communication unit SAP Digital Interconnect to Sinch AB, a leading global provider of cloud communication for mobile customer engagement, as part of a share and asset purchase agreement.
- Advised Cognizant on the acquisition of ESG Mobility.
Bird & Bird LLP's outsourcing team has a very strong and well-connected practice that regularly advises prestigious clients and most recently assisted the Olympic Committee with an outsourcing project for the 2026 and 2032 Olympic Games that involved infrastructure, applications, IT and cyber security issues; Düsseldorf-based practice head Fabian Niemann leads the matter. Frankfurt-based Jörg-Alexander Paul, who is considered one of Germany's leading outsourcing lawyers, advises clients and providers on business process outsourcing, IT outsourcings and transactions with a focus on the finance, banking, database and e- commerce sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fast, good and on the spot.’
IOC – Internationales Olympisches Komitee
- Representation of Adidas in several IT projects as well as ongoing advice, in particular related to the conversion of its payment system and IoT app terms for various European jurisdictions.
- Advised the International Olympic Committee in negotiations with various leading global IT service providers to outsource comprehensive IT services for the Olympic Games 2026 – 2032 and for the IOC itself.
- Ongoing advice to SAP on all issues relating to regulatory requirements for outsourcing in the financial sector.
DLA Piper‘s international IT transaction practice features lawyers who are considered among the strongest in Germany as well as an extensive global network. Jan Geert Meents frequently advises on various outsourcing projects, including shared service centres transfers to external service providers, SAP systems implementations, WAN services transfers to new providers as well as on contractual issues. He leads the Munich-based practice whose offering is complemented by the expertise of Jan Pohle‘s team in Cologne which focuses on assistance with complex IT procurement projects and BPOs; both teams are part of the firm’s broader technology practice led by Stefan Engels and Thilo von Bodungen.
Noerr's interdisciplinary expertise comes together within the broad digital business group around Thomas Thalhofer and Torsten Kraul and covers fields such as trade and commerce, IT and outsourcing as well as media. The team, in particular Peter Brautigam, assists with projects related to innovative outsourcing models and multisourcing approaches, which often involve coordination agreements between providers and new types of IoT technologies. Additionally, assistance with digital M&A and transactions has become increasingly relevant for the practice, especially in relation to insolvency-related projects, while cross-practice cooperation with the firm's finance and insurance teams creates further synergies. Notably, the group offers the legal tech-driven product License Due Diligence which enables efficient risk assessments of license agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Full, competent, trustworthy and stringent all-round support from the beginning of negotiations to the end with a great deal of persuasiveness and assertiveness towards the negotiating partner, ie planning and drafting of contract texts, conducting negotiations, coordination, advice and assessment from a single source. The lawyers are always available and work extremely quickly.’
‘Thomas Thalhofer is very competent and experienced in drafting IT contracts and impresses with his stringent and practice-oriented negotiation skills, which are always characterized by a very high degree of goal orientation and assertiveness.’
‘Very high focus on feasibility and problem solving.’
‘Outstanding individual professional skills, which are always brought together to master the overall challenge.’
Alibaba.com (Europe) Ltd.
Bayerische Landesbrandversicherung AG
BayWa AG / FarmFacts GmbH
Debeka Krankenversicherungsverein a.G.
Deutsche Börse AG
Deutsche Kreditbank AG
HCL Technologies Germany GmbH
Klöckner Shared Services
MEWA Textil-Service AG & Co. Management OHG
Microsoft Deutschland GmbH
Tata Consultancy Services Deutsch-land GmbH
tooz technologie GmbH
- Comprehensive advice to Trustlog on setting up a digital guarantee platform (LegalTech platform).
- Comprehensive legal advice to DEBEKA Krankenversicherungsverein on the renewal of core insurance systems.
- Comprehensive advice to Klöckner Shared Services GmbH on the outsourcing of global IT functions.
White & Case LLP‘s highly regarded outsourcing team is at the forefront of many innovation issues and focuses on technology transactions of all types, including IT infrastructure outsourcings, sourcing, BPOs and cloud computing. Jost Kotthoff heads the practice and is renowned for his advice in the field of system integration and software licensing. In a recent highlight, Detlev Gabel assisted Deutsche Bank with a strategic partnership with Google Cloud. The firm also makes excellent use of its internal, international network (particularly with North America) and legal tech applications.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Deutsche Bank AG on a strategic partnership with Google Cloud.
- Advised Nordic Capital on the acquisition of BearingPoint RegTech, a leading international provider of innovative technology solutions for regulation, risk and supervision in the financial sector.
- Advising Deutsche Bank AG on expanding its strategic partnership with Zurich to include the Postbank brand.
CMS advises on traditional IT outsourcing as well as on technology and digital transformation transactions and further impresses with its strong focus on blockchain technologies, which is particularly valued by clients from the fintech, communications and automotive industries, while the energy sector also relies on the firm as a strong advisor for innovative and bespoke solutions. Sebastian Cording is particularly renowned for his expertise in ERP systems, IT contracts and litigation. Markus Häuser and Florian Dietrich jointly head the team.
‘Fast and reliable.’
Covington & Burling LLP
Based on many years of experience in IT outsourcings, Covington & Burling LLP's IT and data protection experts have made a very good name for themselves in this area, while also being able to rely on the strong cooperation with its international firm offices, which is particularly beneficial in the context of cross-border IT transactions. Supported by its network, the team primarily advises on matters relating to IT, life sciences and digital health. Moritz Hüsch and Lars Lensdorf both assist with international ITO and BPO contracts as well as transactions and jointly head the practice.
Broadridge Deutschland GmbH
Broadridge Financial Solutions Ltd.
GEA Group AG
- Advising the GEA Group AG on international outsourcing and IT projects.
- Advising Broadridge Deutschland GmbH on IT and BPO contracts.
- Advising SmartRecruiters on IT contracts to provide an electronic recruiting platform and the provision of related services.
Latham & Watkins LLP's Thies Deike is considered a legal powerhouse in the IT and outsourcing sphere, especially with regards to projects in the financial industry. Recently, the team around Deike as well as the firm's broader technology transactions team were particularly active in a large number of PE transactions in the tech sector, while its traditional outsourcing business also held up successfully. The highly regarded Tim Wybitul often assists with regulatory IT matters. In August 2020, Susan Kempe-Müller joined from Hengeler Mueller; she has transactional IP expertise and acts with a focus on the technology sector.
Other key lawyers:
Desktop Metal, Inc.
- Advising investment company DEDIQ GmbH on a strategic partnership with SAP.
The main strengths of Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's IT team include IT outsourcing, IT procurement, judicial and extrajudicial IT disputes as well as IT contracts. Cologne-based partners Michael Rath and Christian Kuß are often key contacts for these matters; in most recent highlights, the team prepared BASF SE for disputes with IT service providers and licensors and also advised the client on contracts for its global IT workplace supply. Wulff-Axel Schmidt heads the entire practice from Frankfurt.
Arvato Systems / Bertelsmann
Deutsche Bank / Postbank
Unsere Grüne Glasfaser GmbH & Co. KGaA
AURELIUS Equity Opportunities SE & Co. KGaA
Deutsche Telekom AG
- Advice on data protection and IT law to data center service provider of Germany’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Secondment and advice to Staffbase GmbH on optimization of individual sales processes, as well as advice on investments and company acquisitions as well as litigation on trade secret protection and competition law.
At Osborne Clarke's Cologne office, a division of Flemming Moos' highly regarded IT team advises on outsourcing, ERP, license, XaaS and cloud matters. The outsourcing group fields specialists such as Konstantin Ewald and Ulrich Bäumer who are often involved in IT-driven M&A transactions (including large transactions in connection to India). The practice also assists with IT contracts, software distribution rights and IT system implementations.
‘Osborne Clarke’s international and flexible team makes outsourcing processes simple and uncomplicated.’
‘Konstantin Ewald and Adrian Schneider not only provide competent advice on drafting the agreement, but also on difficult data protection issues, despite tight deadlines.’
‘Konstantin Ewald is technically excellent and always on the ball, very efficient and good at negotiating; pleasant to deal with.’
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP addresses its technology offering to companies that are on their path to digital transformation. M&A, IP and disputes in the digital sphere thereby represent the main focus of its global technology, science and industry practice which acts on European level under the leadership of Florian von Baum and includes the Munich-based TMT team around Stephan Appt. Appt particularly stands out due to his advice on large ITO and BPO projects, especially in the telecommunications industry; the group is further very well connected in the automotive, health and digital media sectors. In Frankfurt, Nils Rauer and Ruth Maria Bousonville lead the local TMT and IP team and focus on software license and development agreements, AI and fintech.
Honda Motor Europe Limited
Wacker Chemie AG
Wolters Kluwer I CCH Tagetik
- Advising Wacker Chemie AG on digitization project SAP2Cloud.
- Advising Honda Motor Europe Limited on the business process outsourcing project Roadside Assistance with Bosch.
- Advised Wolters Kluwer – CCH Tagetik on on-premise and SaaS contracts.
As part of the firm's full digital business offering, SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte's team led by Matthias Orthwein advises medium-sized companies and corporations on the development and expansion of digital business models and the execution of IT projects and outsourcing projects. Through close cooperation with other practice groups, the team offers a 360-degree service which also includes representation in outsourcing disputes and advice on the commercial and industrial use of AI and virtual reality. The client base encompasses numerous clients from regulated sectors such as banking and automotive. Elisabeth Noltenius made partner in January 2021.
Other key lawyers:
equensWorldline SE Germany
Robert Bosch GmbH
- Advising equensWorldline SE Germany on an outsourcing project.
- Transaction-related advice to various clients on the establishment of a world league in eSports.
- Transaction-related advice to Robert Bosch GmbH on strategically important technology-related company acquisitions and on the cooperation with a Chinese provider of AI technologies for autonomous driving.
The breadth of Taylor Wessing's TMT offering represents one of the practice's key success factors and generates synergies with several other practices including transactions and IT projects. The team around Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche is particularly active in outsourcing and infrastructure projects in connection with data centres and 5G communication as well as in cloud implementation matters and agile software projects. The group predominantly acts for clients from the e-commerce, insurance, healthcare and banking sectors including regulated financial service providers. Nicolai Wiegand is also a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB is renowned for its longstanding and extensive outsourcing experience and assists both outsourcing service providers as well as customers. Florian Schmitz specializes in BPO and digitization projects and Michael Heise has a focus on transactions, especially in the financial sector. Axel Czarnetzki focuses on software and license agreements.
Greenberg Traurig Germany's IT outsourcing and IT transaction practice is profoundly influenced by the firm's international outreach, a strong affinity for technological and regulatory issues and extensive knowledge of various industries, especially the real estate, telecommunications and media sectors. Thus, the group around Viola Bensinger advises on international 5G projects, IT infrastructure sourcing and the outsourcing of hotel booking and scheduling systems. Christoph Enaux heads the telecommunications industry group and has deep expertise in cable outsourcing and new business model development. In January 2021, Laura Zentner made local partner; she predominantly assists with matters related to digitization, outsourcing, cloud computing, software licensing and digital media.
‘Adaptability, comprehensible communication and a holistic view of legal issues.’
‘The strengths of the team are incorporated by individual partners without exception, which enables excellent cooperation.’
Bundesministerium für Verkehr und digitale Infrastruktur
Stadt und Land Wohnbauten-Gesellschaft mbH
ZTE Corp. (ZTE Services Deutschland GmbH)
TAG Immobilien AG
Hanova Wohnen GmbH
LEG Immobilien AG
RBI – Restaurant Brands International
- Advising BEOS AG on two IT outsourcing projects.
- Advising RBI – Restaurant Brands International on setting up a European internet platform for franchise restaurants.
- Advising municipal Berlin housing association WBM on several tendering processes for the outsourcing of cable supply.
IT outsourcing is one of McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP's mainstays. The team around Ralf Weisser and Wolfgang von Frentz advises large national and international companies on various transactions as well as IT and business process outsourcing; notably, Weisser assisted Telefónica Germany with complex IT outsourcing contract negotiations while von Frentz advises on new business model developments as well as the development and marketing of OTT platforms.
‘McDermott brings a great deal of expertise to assessing a situation and considering the course of action. Overall, the team covers all aspects very well by bringing special areas (process vs. legal assessment and business implications) together well. Also, the quality of work is very high, so no points are dropped and documents can quickly be reconciled with few iterations.’
‘In addition to his very high level of legal competence, Ralf Weisser also understands the implementation and the goals of the clients. In this way, the best possible solution is negotiated and achieved under given circumstances.’
Telefónica Germany GmbH & Co. OHG
HD.Hospitality GmbH (Digital-Tochterunternehmen der Metro-Gruppe)
ZWILLING JA Henckels AG
- Advising Telefónica on complex IT outsourcing contracts.
- Advising Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH on a software-as-a-service contract for an Industry 4.0 software solution for the analysis of production data.
- Advice to Zwilling JA Hanckels AG in connection with the takeover of a software development commissioned by Zwilling in 2018 to create an app for connecting various kitchen appliances.
Waldeck Rechtsanwälte PartmbB has extensive expertise in IT and outsourcing projects in the telecoms industry. Deutsche Telekom is a longstanding client which the team advises on review procedures, IT tenders and cloud and broadband expansion projects. Thomas Helmut Fischer and Jens-Holger Petri are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers: