Large and medium-sized technology providers as well as companies in the media, luxury, automotive and telecoms sectors turn to Bird & Bird LLP for its high-quality advice offering in the digitalisation space. The team's particular strengths in fields such as e-commerce, cloud solutions, the connected car and complex IT structures attract DAX30-listed clients as well as international players. For instance, practice head Fabian Niemann is leading the advice to a Chinese sales and information platform in the automotive sector on its German market entry and also frequently assists with matters in the healthcare industry such as international coordination of IT and issues pertaining to IT security and contracts. Henriette Picot masters advice on licensing, software developments and open source matters and Alexander Duisberg is very active in matters touching on employment law among other issues. With regards to IoT, cloud, AI and blockchain, the team's integration in the firm's Europe-wide Tech&Coms sector group is of particular benefit.
Information technology and digitalisation in Germany
ESM (European Stability Mechanism)
IMPULS-Stiftung des VDMA
Platform Industrie 4.0 – Legal TestBed
- Platform Industry 4.0 - Legal TestBed: Innovative testing of Industry 4.0 under real technical and legal conditions.
- Dexcom: Several large projects, including advice on IT security for a health app, day-to-day advice on IT and contractual matters, worldwide coordination of IT (and other) legal advice and advice on innovative Dexcom products and solutions in the field diabetes treatment.
- Western Digital: Comprehensive advice on IT law, especially advice on social media marketing and hardware product compliance in numerous countries around the world.
In the IT space, CMS fields a sizeable team spread across six German offices. Even across borders, the firm is strongly represented via its international Technology, Media, Communications network; in contrast to this network, which is organised in legal practice areas, the German lawyer team specialises in different industry sectors. Of particular note are the real estate and life sciences industries where the group is assisting with several highlight matters. The Munich team around Markus Häuser, for instance, was instructed by a joint venture between a digitalisation company and real estate corporation to advise on blockchain and tokenization issues. Beyond digitalisation and blockchain matters, the team is also considered a market leader in assisting digital platforms with issues such as data handling, data sovereignty and competition. Sebastian Cording heads the Hamburg office that also includes key figure and software copyright lawyer Malte Grützmacher.
Other key lawyers:
Noerr's IT and digitalisation practice continues to be a market leader in Germany. A reason for this is the group's orientation towards the future which was already tangible in 2018 when the firm's digital business group was established; in the group's context, various fields such as IT, trade and media are pooled and expanded and enable a highly renowned, interdisciplinary service offering on highest level. Peter Bräutigam, whose advice spectrum encompasses all issues pertaining to IT law, digitalisation and industry 4.0, is a highly regarded member of the Munich team which is headed by Thomas Thalhofer. Both also advise on outsourcing and IT transactions. Torsten Kraul in Berlin focuses on the implementation of digital business models and application of new technologies.
Other key lawyers:
Deutsche Börse AG
BayWa AG / FarmFacts GmbH
Alibaba.com (Europe) Ltd
Microsoft Deutschland GmbH
NÜRNBERGER Lebensversicherung AG
MEWA Textil-Service AG & Co. Management OHG
Hapag Lloyd AG
Klöckner & Co. SE
- Bayer AG: Comprehensive advice on realigning IT.
- ADAC e. V.: Comprehensive legal support for the client in the outsourcing of the “ADAC Motorwelt” magazine to Burda Community Network GmbH.
- Deutsche Börse AG: Review of the EBA guidelines.
Taylor Wessing combines expertise in matters such as digitalisation, licence management and IoT with a practice that has a particular focus on advising medium-sized companies. Headed by Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche, the team equally advises national and international market leaders as well as an increasing number of large and international players on digital transformation. Additionally, the federal government is one of the group's main clients. Von dem Bussche, who also coordinates the international US practice for Germany, focuses on contracts, regulatory issues and global business models. In Düsseldorf, Detlef Klett stands out for his advice on high-volume IT and infrastructure projects. IT licence management, SaaS and IT sourcing represent Mareike Gehrmann's core competencies.
Other key lawyers:
'' Outstanding quality of the written pleadings in litigation. Very good understanding of the challenges typical of the industry. '
'Christian Frank and Jonathan Alexander Kropp: the open discussions on sensitive topics and the pragmatic approaches that Taylor Wessing offers are particularly appreciated.'
'' Solution and result-oriented way of working. High commitment and availability. In-depth practical knowledge and legal expertise; Cooperation based on trust and partnership. '
'Detlef Klett, Fritz-Ulli Pieper, Mareike Gehrmann have above- average expertise in the specialist topics and are very solution-oriented. The highest degree of commitment and reliability, even in time-critical situations you could rely on the support. It is particularly appreciated that the colleagues at the law firm brought calm into the often time-critical process, made the relevant priorities visible and worked through them in a very focused manner. Collaboration on an equal footing – the customer is very valued and the collaboration is very trusting. '
'Highest level of competence and expertise, good networking in the industries, very entrepreneurial thinking. Christian Frank: very pleasant and top expertise. Jonathan Kropp: pragmatic, highly competent and very entrepreneurial. '
'In the day-to-day collaboration, the team impresses with its understanding of economic and operational solutions, quick reactions and high quality of the services provided.
Allianz Deutschland AG
DOMUS Software AG
METRO GastroFinanz GmbH
Pfeiffer & Langen
- METRO GastroFinanz GmbH: Advice on an outsourcing contract for IT services and advice on setting up a cooperation with a fintech company to broker financing solutions to self-employed and corporate customers.
- Agfa HealthCare: Comprehensive IT legal advice (the company offers software solutions for hospitals, in particular a so-called hospital information system (HIS) as well as corresponding care and maintenance services).
Baker McKenzie's IT practice focuses on assistance with IT contracts, e-commerce, digital signatures as well as IT disputes alongside its increasingly developing focus on new technologies, especially in the digital media and automotive sectors. Particularly in the latter segment and in relation to connected and self-driving cars, the team comprehensively advises German and international clients both from its Frankfurt office, which is led by practice co-head Holger Lutz, as well as from its Munich branch where his counterpart Michel Schmidl is located. Schmidl possesses complementary experience at the interface to employment law and is frequently instructed by software and pharmaceutical companies. Florian Tannen made partner in June 2019; he is an expert in contract design and negotiation for IP projects and SAP implementation.
Other key lawyers:
'Holger Lutz: Good availability, extensive experience in IT outsourcing, even with unusual deal structures.'
- Big Asian automobile manufacturer: Comprehensive advice on structuring and designing the telematics offer, including drafting contracts.
- Large German automobile manufacturer: Support as part of the review of the group-wide framework for IT security.
- Large German automobile manufacturer: Consulting in the area of a digital sales concept for new vehicles and online sales of vehicles
DLA Piper's very broad IT practice takes on a leading role in digitalisation projects of various clients. The banking and insurances sectors are particularly invited to increase their digital offering, thereby representing the core of the group's client base. Additionally, the team also advises companies from the automotive, healthcare, financial services and real estate sectors for whom the team's networking with other practice groups is particularly valuable. Hence, projects in the fintech, medicine as a service and data monetising spheres are addressed in a cooperative manner and are innovatively promoted. In the context of a specialised mobility group, the Munich team and especially Jan Geert Meents are very active in the automotive sector. Meents frequently assists with international IT compliance and represents clients in various IT proceedings. Jan Pohle is another leading team member and predominantly advises on cyber security and its IT components, as well as on matters touching on insurance law. Stefan Engels and Thilo Von Bodungen jointly head the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Thorsten Ammann; Jan Geert Meents; Jan Pole
'The strength of the team varies as required. The law firm is extremely flexible and has a very strong staff. '
'The main contact person is the partner Jan Pohle. You always want him to sit on his side of the table. One can only recommend him. Really a great lawyer who makes everything possible. His team supports him in an exemplary manner, especially Counsel Thorsten Ammann. '
Allianz Real Estate
ATOS Information Technology GmbH
- Dachser SE: Advising Dachser SE on an international IT compliance and data protection mandate, including numerous countries.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's firm-wide IP, media and technology practice is strongly sustained by the German teams in Hamburg and Düsseldorf. In the technology arena, the German group focuses on cloud solutions, the design of digital applications, AI as well as digital transformation. This broad advice offering attracts well-known, international corporations, particularly from the automotive, life sciences and financial services sectors. Among other ways, clients are also supported via Engage, a digital knowledge platform, as well as with various legal tech tools. Marcus Schreibauer takes on litigious matters and advice on technology project contracts; Sarah-Lena Kreutzmann made counsel in January 2020.
IKB Deutsche Industriebank
- FANCY: Advice on projects in connection with an app for neighborhood networks.
- Brainloop: Advice on the legal classification and conceptual implementation of data ownership and the protection of customer data in cloud services; Revision of terms and conditions and data protection agreements; Advice on the technical design.
- Nagravision: Advice on anti-piracy matters.
Alongside the very good reputation of its data protection practice, IT law advice takes centre stage for Osborne Clarke. The team is led by Flemming Moos and has a specific focus on digital transformation projects. The client portfolio includes both startups as well as companies from the regulated industries, while the insurance and banking sectors play a particularly important role. Ulrich Bäumer has extensive experience in preparing and negotiating IT contracts and IT-related terms and conditions. Kostantin Ewald is another important top performer of the practice and heads the sector group digital business. Felix Hilgert made partner in January 2020.
'Osborne Clarke's pragmatic, competent and very well tailored approach, which does not try to squeeze the client into a standard scheme, distinguishes Osborne Clarke from other law firms.'
'Ulrich Bäumer is an excellent partner who gets to grips with the matter extremely quickly and thoroughly and provides very successful support at short notice, both in writing and in personal contract negotiations on site.'
'Konstantin Ewald and Arne Katharina Ruhwinkel – legal and IT expertise. Very high ability to find compromises in situations in which there are conflicting goals between buyer and supplier. Pragmatism.'
'Good interaction with clients, tailor-made solutions and advice beyond the legal perspective.'
'' Very fast and practical creation of contracts and documents even under considerable time pressure. A high level of industry knowledge, which means that no time-consuming on-boarding is necessary. '
'Konstantin Ewald is well connected in the industry and knows what is important. He not only has legal, but also project-related, entrepreneurial issues in mind. '
'Well-positioned team with in-depth experience. Very thorough and creative in creating new contract types: Agile fixed price contracts. '
'Very good negotiating skills. Broad practical experience. Good compromise proposals and very good negotiation preparations. '
Axel Springer SE
Christoph Kroschke GmbH / CarTrust
Oddset Sportwetten GmbH
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE
Tech Mahindra und Mahindra Gruppe
CANCOM on line GmbH
- Medwing GmbH: Advice in the field of IT and data protection law and compliance.
- Christoph Kroschke GmbH / CarTrust: IT and data protection issues as well as advice with regard to the legally compliant digitization of the official processes and procedures associated with the project.
With the help of strong synergies between the renowned media practice and its IP and IT departments, SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte has accomplished an exceedingly successful combination; hence, leading digital content platforms represent the group's main clients. However, the reach of its stand-alone advice on IT security and traditional IT contract law is not to be underestimated, where established German and international, medium-sized as well as large companies instruct the firm. Particularly notable is also its focus on e-sports which has been strategically expanded. Matthias Orthwein heads the IT and digital business practice and focuses of the digitalisation of processes and products as well as on internet of things.
'Very pragmatic and precise, excellent legal analysis.'
'The mix is very good, i.e. very competent colleagues are called in for individual legal questions. Despite the high workload, necessary agreements and inquiries are processed at short notice and further elaboration is accepted. '
'' Always available and focused on the client. Very transparent billing.
Julian Westpfahl is always there for the customer and can be reached even on vacation. Always think of the client first. '
'Matthias Orthwein: Experienced partner in IT law. Well received by the department. '
'Martin Schweinoch – well-known in the market, extremely well prepared, battle-tested, technically up-to-date, excellent analytical understanding.'
Giesecke & Devrient
Motorola Solutions Inc.
LoveScout24 (FriendScout24 GmbH)
Telekom Deutschland GmbH
- adidas AG: Important core mandate: comprehensive IT legal advice; last year with particular success through a secondment; considerable focus on the subject of “digitization” or “digital business models”.
- Motorola Solutions Inc.: IT security and data protection law main advisor in Germany including the coordination of other European law firms.
- Expedia: Complete advice on all digital advertising campaigns and promotions.
Gleiss Lutz' IT team is especially regarded for its interdisciplinarity. Moritz Holm-Hadulla, who primarily advises on antitrust law in Stuttgart, also leads the sector group digital economy and assists clients with matters pertaining to online marketing, single-sign-on solutions and data collection. Stefan Weidert heads the IP practice and also advises on issues related to e-commerce, licensing and IT audits. The team, which saw the promotion of Alexander Molle and Christian Hamann to equity partners in 2019, further frequently advises the healthcare sector on smart contracts, blockchain and internet of things.
'' Close cooperation based on trust, open and goal-oriented exchange. Good and quick preparation of the contract documents and negotiation dates. '
'Very broad and deeply positioned with good response times.'
'Alexander Molle – outstanding specialist knowledge, has a very good understanding of business requirements and demands and accordingly provides practical solutions'.
'An ideal team when it comes to advancing digitization and automation and the complex legal issues related to this. The team draws on a wealth of experience and works together excellently. '
'Alexander Molle has extremely broad and in-depth specialist knowledge with which he can quickly provide an initial, competent assessment of inquiries if necessary. In some cases, he agrees this assessment with appropriate colleagues, passes on the results reliably and conscientiously and his assessment is almost always correct. He is very friendly and reliable in cooperation and always moves on a collegial level with the client. '
'Stefan Weidert is a great help with all IT topics, the questions of which he can solve through his many experiences. He is a very good negotiating partner who, despite being friendly, always has the goal in mind and pursues this in coordination with the client. '
Apollo Global Management
- AOK community: IT contract and data protection law advice in connection with the establishment of a digital health network (including electronic patient files) and other IT / telematics networking projects.
- Robert Bosch: Data protection and IT contract law support for the global carve-out of the Packaging Technology division.
- RMS: Antitrust law advice and merger control for the establishment of an online booking platform in the field of radio advertising time marketing.
Based on a strong position in the real estate and media spheres as well as its international, firm-wide network, Greenberg Traurig Germany has managed to establish a successful and independent IP and technology practice which is now core of its service offering. Therefore, Viola Bensinger and her team frequently receive instructions for large technology projects, including the development of new technologies related to the connected car as well as matters in the software, e-commerce and digital payment services areas. In 2020, the practice remained on a personnel growth trajectory and promoted five partners as well as employing two additional associates.
'High reaction speed, also open to technical discussions over the phone, also beyond legal questions.'
'Viola Bensinger: detailed knowledge of the subject (digital economy and real estate industry), holistic approach. Good accessibility and reliability. '
'On the one hand, the team is very committed to the problem that needs to be solved. It is particularly appreciated that the legal team can look at the topics from a technical angle and thereby create a better picture of the problem than other law firms. '
'Viola Bensinger has always shown herself to be excellent. Late in the evening or urgently during the week, she always kept her promise and completed projects successfully and with perfection. '
Hanova Wohnen GmbH
Bundesministerium für Verkehr und digitale Infrastruktur
NDC / Garbe Industrial Real Estate GmbH
Taiyo Nippon Sanso Corporation (und ihre Tochtergesellschaft Matheson Tri-Gas)
ZTE Corp./ZTE Services Deutschland GmbH
John Lewis Partnership
Best Western Hotels
- GlobalLogic: Advising the global service provider for software development on a large number of software projects, including with Vodafone plc (equipping mobile home servers with the necessary operating software for using mobile services, internet, entertainment offers, etc.).
- Hanova Wohnen GmbH: Advice on an IT outsourcing project as well as in the dispute about a telecommunications infrastructure outsourcing project. Advice on negotiating contracts for software products, e.g. ERP software.
- Acrolynx: Advising the German-American developer for Artificial Intelligence and other software products on license and cooperation agreements, including with universities.
Other key lawyers:
'On the market for a long time. Growing team. Good access. '
'Very good customer orientation, very pragmatic, quick response time and perfect communication, building long-term and stable client relationships.'
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's 'multifaceted' offering encompasses traditional IT law but also large IT projects, fintech, e-commerce and IT compliance. The 'very broad' practice is therefore able to accommodate the needs and issues of clients, particularly of many DAX30-listed companies. Practice head Wulff-Axel Schmidt advises on licensing and cooperation agreements as well as on IT project agreements. Data protection specialist Michael Rath is sought-after for his expertise regarding the implementation of IT security and IT compliance requirements among other matters. Stephan Rippert, formerly partner at Reed Smith, joined the firm in August 2020 and applies his regulatory expertise especially in national as well as international transactions and joint ventures and also has experience in the media, IT, energy and life sciences sectors.
arvato Systems / Bertelsmann
Bundesministerium für Verkehr und digitale Infrastruktur (BMVI)
Deutsche Bank / Postbank
Procter & Gamble
- Autobahn Tank & Rast Gruppe GmbH & Co. KG: Creation of a framework agreement for cooperation with a quality management company as well as advice in connection with the conclusion of a marketing agreement for outdoor areas via AdServer.
- BASF Digital Farming GmbH: Consulting and creation of a purchasing and sales concept for digital products (“healthy fields”) in agriculture.
- Fiege group: Advice in connection with the takeover of the complete logistics of DHL for Karstadt or Karstadt / Kaufhof with complete restructuring of the IT system
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP
Over the past years, Pinsent Masons Germany LLP's TMT and sourcing team has managed to position itself as a specialised advisor for the automotive sector. Topics such as the connected car, automated driving, mobility and transport are central pillars of the group's IT offering. Stephan Appt, who heads the German TMT practice, advises automobile manufacturers and suppliers on issues regarding the end-customer sale of digital functions, e-commerce platforms and artificial intelligence. Florian von Baum heads the global technology, science and industry group and and assists clients from the life sciences, healthcare and manufacturing industries. Nils Rauer is responsible for the German technology and digital market practice. He focuses on digitalisation projects, IP rights as well as data protection.
'Fast, professional, friendly.'
Audi Planung GmbH
Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A. (in Zusammenarbeit mit SBD Automotive)
Brose Fahrzeugteile GmbH & Co. Kommanditgesellschaft
Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek
Honda Motor Europe Limited
Knorr-Bremse Gesellschaft für Nutzfahrzeuge
Knorr-Bremse Gesellschaft für Schienenfahrzeuge
Mitsubishi Corporation (in Zusammenarbeit mit SBD Automotive)
Oracle Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
SAIC Motor (in Zusammenarbeit mit SBD Automotive)
SBD Automotive Ltd.
- Knorr brake: Comprehensive and ongoing advice on IT legal issues and digitization issues in the field of technology for automotive and rail transport.
- SBD Automotive (Mitsubishi, Lamborghini, SAIC Motors etc.): In cooperation with the automotive strategy consultancy SBD Automotive, ongoing advice to a large number of automobile manufacturers on the subject of networked and automated driving. The projects usually include an examination of the most important countries in the EU, but often also AsiaPac and North and South America.
- Netflix: Advice on the European market, in particular on copyright issues and the provisions of the digital single market.
At BEITEN BURKHARDT, the IT practice cooperates closely with the firm's IP and media departments. While the team advises on traditional IT issues and contracts from both its Frankfurt as well as its Munich offices, the group is also instructed with innovative matters in the mobility, fintech and healthcare spheres. For instance, Holger Weimann and the Munich-based team assist the federal government's Autobahn GmbH with the transformation project of its motorway administration, and Frankfurt-based practice co-head Andreas Lober advises on innovative manufacturing procedures (such as pill manufacturing via a three-dimensional printing process in the pharmaceuticals industry). Matthias Stecher in Munich also has expertise in matters touching upon IP law.
Die Autobahn GmbH des Bundes
Avanade Deutschland GmbH
E.M.P. Merchandising Handelsgesellschaft mbH
Tencent/Oriental Power Holding Limited
Ing Bank N.V.
Loyalty Partner GmbH
1&1 Drillisch AG
- The Autobahn GmbH of the federal government: IT legal support in the transformation process of the motorway administration, in particular with regard to the tender relating to the future ERP system (total value of the procurement EUR 65 million). In the context of the tender, mainly the design of the contractual framework for the ERP project.
- Merck KGaA: Support in the implementation of a major cooperation project with the 3D printing specialist AMCM, a sister company of the world market leader in 3D printing EOS. The cooperation concerned the development of innovative manufacturing processes for tablets using 3D printing processes that meet the high requirements of the pharmaceutical industry. Also included was the negotiation of framework conditions for future commercialization and distribution of the technologies under development, as further services for production on an industrial scale are to follow later.
- Avanade Germany GmbH: Providing advice to the Accenture and Microsoft joint venture on dozens of IT project contracts and framework agreements with numerous German and international medium-sized and large companies as well as the public sector, including leading DAX companies. One of the most important long-term mandates with now well over a hundred IT processes, in which a close relationship could also be established through secondments.
Covington & Burling LLP
Covington & Burling LLP covers all aspects of IT law in various sectors and at several interfaces, such as advising life sciences sector clients on issues related to digital health, as well as on regulatory matters, the design of new IT products and data protection. One of the practice's strength is its international reach deriving from its global network, which particularly connects the practice with the UK and the US. In the finance space, Lars Lensdorf assists with high-profile matters concerning artificial intelligence and related requirements as well as with IT and cloud infrastructures. Moritz Hüsch advises on contract negotiation, product launch and licensing. Both jointly head the practice.
- Senvion: Advice on IT infrastructure services, outsourcing and data protection.
- GEA Group AG: Advice on IT and questions related to data protection law.
- Broadridge Germany GmbH: Advice on IT and questions related to data protection law.
With an IT offering that originated in the firm's procurement practice, GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB positions itself as an important contact particularly for the public authorities and the financial and banking sectors. Florian Schmitz heads the team which focuses on issues at the interface of IT, IP and trade. The most prominent clients include DAX30-listed telecoms companies, banks as well as technology providers.
'Florian Schmitz: very good quality work, very good and flexible availability and fast delivery of results as well as pleasant, practice-oriented and effective communication.'
AGF Videoforschung GmbH
Bw Bekleidungsmanagement GmbH
Deutsche Bank AG
Deutsche Telekom AG
Frankfurter Volksbank eG
Geno Broker GmbH
Helmholtz Zentrum Geesthacht
Klinikum zum heiligen Geist Fritzlar
Ministerium für Umwelt Rheinland-Pfalz
MK Mühlenkreiskliniken (AöR)
Samsung Electronics GmbH
Stadtwerke Bad Homburg
Swiss IT Security
Toll Collect GmbH
- AGF Videoforschung GmbH: Consulting, concept development and contract drafting for a comprehensive project for the cooperation of different market research companies in the consolidation of data from different channels (TV, streaming, apps).
- ARDIAN: Advice on IT legal due diligence and mapping of IT issues in the SPA, as part of the purchase of 26 percent of the shares in EWE AG.
- European XFEL, Helmholtz Center Geesthacht, Stadtwerke Bad Homburg, Ministry for the Environment Rhineland-Palatinate, City of Hamburg, DESY, etc.: Advising public sector clients on the award of IT and digitization services and projects, including tenders for the award of an integrated electronic school platform and the procurement of IT within the scope of the digital pact.
GvW Graf von Westphalen
Based on a combined advisory approach that encompasses procurement law, IP, media, telecoms and data protection, GvW Graf von Westphalen is also able to attract significant instructions in the IT arena. Practice head Stephan Menzemer leads the firm's international desk and is therefore responsible for its international business, a role that is also beneficial for the IT practice. Hence, the group is instructed with several IT security matters stemming from China among other matters. Menzemer is also regarded for his litigation capabilities and advice on contractual matters.
CHRIST Juweliere & Uhrmacher seit 1863 GmbH
TCI Transformation Consulting International GmbH
team79 Beratungsgesellschaft mbH
AEF Agricultural Industry Electronics Foundation e.V.
Celanese Europe B.V. /Celanese Services Germany GmbH
Mecklenburgische Versicherungs-Gesellschaft a.G.
ÖRAG Rechtsschutz Versicherungs-Aktiengesellschaft
Asseco Solutions AG
Publicis Communications (Publicis Pixelpark, CNC – Communications & Network, Starcom Mediavest Group Germany, Metadesign, Leo Burnett etc.)
ThoughtWorks Deutschland GmbH/ThoughtWorks, Inc.
STARK Deutschland GmbH
Bundesanstalt für Post und Telekommunikation
Versorgungswerk der Landesärztekammer Hessen
Blue Mesa Health, Inc.
Content Software GmbH
Dr. Pascal Sieber & Partners AG
HEALTHY PROGRAMMATIC GmbH
Kurita Europe GmbH
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V.
- AEF Agricultural Industry Electronics Foundation e.V.: Out-licensing, commissioning of service providers, product creation, coverage of product liability issues (international), operation and coordination of certificate issuance.
- Celanese Europe B.V. /Celanese Services Germany GmbH: Comprehensive support in IT (and data protection) law including all related areas (IP / IT / antitrust issues in connection with dismissal protection processes, company reorganizations, software implementation projects, etc.).
- STARK Germany GmbH: Advice on the conclusion of a number of new IT contracts as well as on negotiating the adjustment or termination of non-performing IT contracts.
Heussen Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's combined IT, IP and media advice covers various areas, including the distribution and marketing of IT products, IT procurement, contracts as well as open source projects. Hermann Waldhauser heads the practice group which counts publishing companies, telecoms corporations and software and cloud solution providers among its clients.
Other key lawyers:
'The law firm offers a full service from a single source, various legal and subject areas can be comprehensively clarified by consulting other colleagues. Complex issues relating to IT law, data protection law, supervisory law, competition law and distribution law are also dealt with taking commercial decisions into account. Experienced lawyers always acted as contacts. '
'Markus Junker is characterized in particular by his technical competence. His recommendations are always pragmatic and efficient. The analyzes convinced with their carefully prepared statements. In addition, he can give targeted recommendations through his professional and industry knowledge. His negotiating skills lead to optimal results. '
'Great commitment and commitment. Fast and reliable processing of the case. '
'' Holistic support for all relevant business issues. Central coordination by the attending lawyer. Telephone availability of the individual lawyers, even if the issues are only minor. Fair billing. '
'Hermann Waldhauser is reliable, competent, enthusiastic and available to his customers.'
'Each individual has a very high level of professional competence paired with practical and entrepreneurial knowledge. You will familiarize yourself with the situation, with the company's purpose and develop understandable and implementable solutions from it. '
'' Calm and level-headed manner even in critical situations, entrepreneurial perspective and strategic thinking. The cooperation of the aforementioned lawyers in the team also works smoothly. '
Alfred Kärcher GmbH & Co. KG und Tochterunternehmen
Schölly Fiberoptic GmbH
WE DO communication GmbH
Fidor Bank AG and affiliates
Bayerische Hausbau GmbH & Co. KG
Brandenburger Gruppe, Brandenburger Liegenschaftsverwaltung GmbH & Co. KG
Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften München
MULTIVAC Sepp Haggenmüller SE & Co. KG
Goethe -Institut e.V.
Hartl GmbH & Co. KG
- Hartl GmbH & Co.KG: Advice on IT outsourcing agreement with a customer from the financial services industry.
- MAN Truck & Bus SE: Advice on open source projects.
- Infolytics AG: Advice on agile software projects.
Thies Deike heads Latham & Watkins LLP's IT and digitalisation practice with a focus on IT contracts, licensing and distribution systems as well as joint ventures and accompanying IT projects related to M&A and other transactions.
Oppenhoff's offering in the IT and communication area focuses on traditional IT law to clients predominantly stemming from the energy and insurance sectors. The team advises companies, which, for example, manufacture solar plants or steelworks machines, on matters related to e-commerce, terms and conditions, predictive maintenance as well as data among other issues. Insurance companies turn to practice head Marc Hilber and his colleagues seeking advice on new business models and digital transformation.
'Dynamic and motivated team.'
'Marc Hilber, as the contact person, has in-depth specialist knowledge so that even complex questions can be answered in full in a first telephone call and without extensive research. Even with extensive projects, Marc Hilber and his team impress with fast and client-oriented solutions. '
Backcountry / Bergfreunde
Energiedienstleister (datengetriebene Geschäftsmodelle)
- Nexus: Advice on various IT projects, drafting of standard contracts, contract negotiations.
- Zurich Insurance: Advice on the Columbus R2 project (introduction of the 2nd release of the Guidewire insurance software).
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP has an established IP, tech and data department whose members confidently master not only IT law, but also technical aspects. This has led to an appropriately strong client base which is full of innovative startups, yet not limited to them. Thomas Fischl has a focus on the media and entertainment sphere and specialises in digital media, internet of things and data economy; Andreas Splittgerber is recommended for its advice on contracts, internet and social media rights as well as on the legal assessment of new technologies.
Alongside its clear mainstay in data protection, outsourcing and transactions, White & Case LLP's team around Jost Kotthoff also continues to focus on IT and digitalisation. In this segment, the group prepares and negotiates contracts, assists with the implementation of technology solutions as well as with the development of new online platforms. Kotthoff's expertise also includes advice on facility management, system integration and software licensing.
- Leading provider of mobility and financial services: Ongoing advice in connection with cloud and digitization projects.
- Car bank: Advice on setting up a new IT platform to manage leasing contracts.
Based in Cologne and Frankfurt, avocado rechtsanwälte's IP, media and IT practice focuses on advising clients on traditional IT law and IT contracts, the implementation of IT systems as well as on licences. Alongside data protection, the group also assists with transactional matters. Practice head Jan Peter Voß is well versed in IT security and hereby advises large German IT and telecoms providers as well as on cloud solutions, outsourcing and agreements negotiations. Jörg Michael Voß is also recommended.
'Excellent expertise from all lawyers, very flexible and customer-oriented, looking for pragmatic solutions. Jan Voß has excellent specialist knowledge in the field of IT law, which he has been bringing to our group of companies profitably for years. A very strong team. '
'' Very fast response times despite and especially in the case of short-term and urgent questions and orders Inquiries are quick and short, so that it is guaranteed that the necessary information is always exchanged between the law firm and the client. A very practice-oriented procedure that on the one hand illuminates the legal situation in detail, but on the other hand also takes into account the effects of the procedure on practice. '
'Jan-Peter Voss is characterized by a fast response time, excellent availability and constant information about his activities. When accepting the mandate, he gives a date at which the client will receive an initial assessment, which is always adhered to. If there are unexpected delays or if there is a need for further checks, he will inform the client immediately. The close, uncomplicated and trusting cooperation with the in-house lawyers at eye level is also very positive, which leads to a very targeted exchange of information without giving the impression that the in-house lawyers are doing the work themselves. '
'Fast, competent and always hands-on. Custom-fit solutions are provided – and partners in the law firm's network are available for questions that the law firm cannot cover itself (e.g. Irish law). '
'Jörg Michael Voss and Thorsten Lieb are able to advise extremely proactively and independently. No hours are produced, but very fast and hands-on results. '
'AVOCADO's legal support can always be requested at very short notice. Due to their relevant experience in IT law, the lawyers usually take on and promote the mandates very independently without great effort for the in-house lawyer. The results of the negotiations are also very good. A legal release can be issued on this basis without any problems. '
'Your approach in the negotiations is pragmatic in a positive sense, ie it is about achieving a result that is acceptable for the business, not about insisting on legal positions without any compromise. The mandates are also managed very independently, ie the consultation effort for the in-house lawyer is limited. '
'Very good team, fast processing times, extremely pleasant to work with, skillful in negotiations.'
Brandt & Partner GmbH
Brandt Software-Produkte GmbH
Deutsche Telekom AG und Tochtergesellschaften
DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH
Heraeus Konzern, Heraeus Holding GmbH
imc Test & Measurement GmbH
Media Frankfurt GmbH (FRAPORT-Konzern, inter-national tätiger Werbedienstleister für Flughäfen, Bahnhöfe etc.)
Merck Group, (globaler Pharmakonzern)
Remondis Maintenance & Services GmbH & Co. KG
Schönmackers Umweltdienste GmbH & Co. KG
SMC Deutschland GmbH
Telia Carrier Germany GmbH u. Telia Company AB (börsennotierter führenden skandinavischen Tele-kommunikationskonzern)
Walstead (weltweit füh-rendes Dienstleistungsunter-nehmen im Bereich Druck und Verlagswesen, börsennotiert N.Y. stock exchange)
WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA
ZMG – Zeitungs Marketing Gesellschaft mbH & Co. KG (Tochtergesellschaft des Bundesverbandes Deutscher Zeitungsverlage – BDZV)
- Deutsche Telekom AG and subsidiaries: Advice and representation in and out of court for Deutsche Telekom AG (purchasing department and group companies), ICT purchasing agreements, in particular when purchasing hardware and software, reselling, cloud, outsourcing, partnering, platform and application agreements.
- DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH and subsidiaries: Comprehensive ongoing IT and data protection advice (advice, drafting contracts and representation).
- BRAK, Federal Bar Association: Advice and project support for the award procedure "Takeover, further development and operation of the special electronic lawyers mailbox (beA)" of the Federal Bar Association (advisory period 2019)
Deloitte Legal Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's digital economy, IT and IP practice experienced a noticeable upturn. In 2019, the firm significantly expanded its team by two arrivals on partner and nine arrivals on associate level as well as a partner promotion. In Munich, the team around digital transformation expert Tobias Fuchs thereby further strengthened its offering with regards to insure tech, the implementation of digital business models and contracts. Fuchs predominantly assists with cloud computing, industry 4.0, big data and data protection. Söntje Julia Hilberg in Berlin is also recommended.
'The Deloitte Legal team approaches mandates very pragmatically, but nevertheless with excellent technical expertise. As in-house legal you can always rely on projects being driven forward and comprehensively supported. The team has solid and broad experience in IT law. '
'Katharina Scheja and Till Contzen consistently enable a short-term response to inquiries, are available at short notice, unlike many competitors, and have a very pragmatic and technically sound way of working. As a client, you feel taken seriously. '
Getsafe Digital GmbH
Mewa Textil Service
- Establishment partner ring VME: Advice on digital transformation.
- Establishment partner ring VME: Advice regarding the termination of the cooperation with UNION Purchasing GmbH.
- Rhode black: Advice on IT and data protection law in the design and implementation of cloud-based software solutions.
Focused on traditional IT but also on the challenges of the digitalisation, McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP represents large German and international companies. These benefit from the firm's interdisciplinary approach which offers bespoke and integrated competencies in IT, media and telecoms law. Ralf Weisser's expertise includes contractural and regulatory issues related to internet of things and industry 4.0 among other matters. And Wolfgang von Frentz represents clients in disputes and advises on transactions in the TMT sphere.
'Small, very responsive and readily available team.'
'' Very good knowledge of the market, dissemination topics, television broadcasting. '
' Wolfgang v. Frentz, Christian Masch: strategically very well versed (procedurally and economically in the interests of the client). '
Deutsche Telekom AG
HD.Hosipitality GmbH (Digital-Tochterunternehmen der Metro-Gruppe)
Intersnack Group GmbH & Co. KG
IP Deutschland/ RTL Interactive
ProSiebenSat1 Media SE
VAUNET | Verband Privater Medien e.V.
ZWILLING JA Henckels AG (Mandat vertraulich)
Telefónica Germany GmbH & Co. OHG (Mandat vertraulich
- Deutsche Telekom AG: Ongoing advice in conjunction with the European Aviation Network (EAN), which is breaking new ground in many respects: There are no role models for the combination of satellite and ground network, nor for the development of a pan-European mobile network with different regulatory requirements.
- Intersnack Group GmbH & Co. KG: Negotiation of contracts for the outsourcing of Intersnack's entire European IT infrastructure, including renegotiations.
- HD.Hospitality GmbH (digital subsidiary of the Metro Group): Establishment and marketing of an OTT platform as an offer to all catering operators in Germany.
TCI Rechtsanwälte is represented with Stephan Schmidt in Mainz, with Thomas Stögmüller in Munich und with Markus Schmidt in Berlin. Its IT practice mainly stands out for its strong relationship with the public authorities which predominantly instructs the Berlin-based team with the preparation and negotiation of contracts as well as with matters pertaining to cloud solutions and digitalisation. Furthermore, the Munich and Mainz offices also advise on new business models, company procedures, licensing and IT procurement law.
'The services of this law firm are characterized by a high quality, which are available quickly without losing any of their legal depth. The speed of processing means that the consulting services appear to have a very positive price-performance ratio. '
'Norman Müller is characterized by his strategically always clever and legally sound advice, on the basis of which he asks the right questions and draws conclusions faster than the others in negotiations with and for the client. It is also extremely fast in the background work, in the creation of drafts or in the commenting on supplies, and is therefore cheap in comparison. He conveys his views in a pleasant way, both to the client and to the negotiating opponents, without losing assertiveness towards the latter. He can also be reached outside of normal office hours for urgent matters. '
'Among other things, Carsten Gerlach is an expert in the field of data protection, who precisely works out the legal sticking points and communicates them in an extremely factual manner. With his convincingly calm-analytical manner, he stands up for the client in negotiations and prevails over the opponents and shows realistic and pragmatic solutions. '
'Exceptionally pragmatic and efficient. TCI almost always uses an existing solution or template, which is always free of charge. '
'Carsten Gerlach: comprehensive, detailed know-how. Binding, efficient. Pleasant to work with, open, honest. '
Aareon AG und Aareon Deutschland GmbH
Bundesministerium des Innern (BMI)
Deutscher Genossenschaftsverlag eG
Palleos healthcare GmbH
Port Sol 19 GmbH
Technogroup IT-Service GmbH
- Aareon AG: Constant advice on IT legal issues and in negotiations with suppliers, partners and customers.
- Technogroup IT-Service GmbH: Constant advice on IT legal issues and in negotiations with suppliers, partners and customers.
In the IT law space, von BOETTICHER Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB does not only act in advisory capacity, but also scientifically. The group's activity before courts complements the service portfolio. The team is particularly known for its representation of clients in disputes related to failed IT or outsourcing projects. On consultancy level, the group mainly advises on matters pertaining to data protection, IT contracts and e-commerce. Anselm Brandi-Dohrn, who is partner at the Berlin office and an expert in negotiating large software projects and international licences, is recommended as 'as one of the best IT lawyers in Germany'. Munich-based Sven Schlotzhauer is sought-after for his platform advice. Matthias Bergt left the practice for a position as head of division at the Data Protection and Freedom of Information Commissioner of the State of Berlin.
National Instruments Gruppe
ComTrade d.o.o. (Slowenien)
Claris International (vormals Filemaker International)
Ventiv Technology Group International Ltd.: führender Anbieter von Risk Management Software (SaaS-Modell)
Acino Pharma AG, Schweiz
Führender Anbieter von Luxus-Kreuzfahrten
führender Anbieter von Softwarelösungen für Kreuzfahrtschiffe
Weltweit führender Anbieter von nativer Videowerbung/Monetarisierungsplattform im Internet
Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP): größter Politik-Think-Tank Europas
Global Healthcare Exchange, LLC (Handelssystem für Medizinprodukte)
NextGuest (vormals Serenata Intraware GmbH – Hotellerie-Software)
- Global company - IT services: Advice and legal representation in a dispute with an automotive supplier group about the termination of a business-critical IT service contract.
- Global company - IT services: Advising the client in a dispute against an automotive group over an IT services contract.
- Global company - IT services: Advice and representation of the client in relation to an automobile group in the handling of a failed large-scale IT project (connected cars worldwide). Opponent is the client's key customer; strategic coordination and coordination based on deployment points in different continents.
With the 2019 rebranding of the former outsourcing and IT practice to digital and technology, Waldeck Rechtsanwälte PartmbB is signifying the firm's future orientation. The group's focus has shifted to topics such as blockchain, industry 4.0 and digital transformation, thereby being able to better accommodate the needs of its client base that encompasses IT specialists, internal IT consultants and financial services providers. Thomas Helmut Fischer and Jens-Holger Petri are interdisciplinary experts and the practice's main contacts.
aurelis Real Estate
Bitkom (Bundesverband Informationswirtschaft, Telekommunikation und neue Medien)
Deutsche Telekom AG
DFS – Deutsche Flugsicherung
ING / ING-DiBa
IVU Traffic Technologies AG
T-Systems International GmbH