Bird & Bird LLP offers its clients one of the largest IT and digitization teams in Europe: hereby, the German practice led by Fabian Niemann (Düsseldorf) frequently takes on a leading role in numerous client relationships and pioneers advice on pertinent issues such as internet of things, cloud solutions, AI and blockchain. Alexander Duisberg is particularly regarded in matters pertaining to agile software development and big data in the automotive sector, while Henriette Picot specializes in licensing, sales and e-commerce, among other things. In May 2021, Miriam Ballhausen made partner in Hamburg; notably, she led advice on a pioneering Smart Cities project in a major German city. The team also includes Lennart Schüßler, who assists national and international providers and customers across various industries with IT and copyright matters. And in addition to numerous DAX30 clients and global corporations, the client base also encompasses public sector clients such as Bundesdruckerei, Gematik and KfW, as well as broadcasting and municipal companies.
Information technology and digitalisation in Germany
‘Fast, good and on-the-spot.’
European Stability Mechanism
Platform Industrie 4.0 – Legal TestBed
- Advising Audi on various legal IT aspects, including data licensing agreements, connected car services and blockchain projects.
- Advising Platform Industry 4.0 – Legal TestBed on a project to test Industry 4.0 under real technical and legal conditions.
- Advised SAP on a wide range of strategic and innovative topics such as cloud requirements, data ownership, artificial intelligence, machine learning and FOSS.
CMS maintains its strong presence in the IT sector with a team in Munich around Markus Häuser and a Cologne-based group around Florian Dietrich, who took on the practice’s leadership in 2021. The team has particular expertise in digital transformation, especially with regards to the introduction of blockchain solutions in fintech, telecoms, energy and automotive sectors; here, Häuser often takes the lead. Dietrich, on the other hand, stands out for his deep knowledge of both national and international regulatory issues, which he frequently applies for leading online platforms such as eBay and Airbnb.
Hamburg Commercial Bank
Panasonic Automotive Systems
- Advising Accenture on IT and data protection law in connection with the use of blockchain technology, the development of a manual and guidelines for the legally compliant implementation of social media listening activities.
- Advice to eBay on platform regulation (Omnibus Directive, Digital Services Act, Electrical Act, Packaging Act) and the roll-out of new features and products, in particular advice on further introduction of new payment processing with eBay as the payment service provider.
- Advising Panasonic Automotive on e-mobility and infotainment.
Noerr's highly regarded digital business group around Thomas Thalhofer in Munich and Torsten Kraul in Berlin continues to be one of the top players in Germany's IT and digitization market. Deeply embedded into the firm's full-service structure, the practice offers interdisciplinary advice to clients from a wide range of industries, with automotive, finance and insurance sectors particularly standing out, and on a broad variety of issues such as IoT, data-driven business models, AI and blockchain applications. The practice also assists with innovative projects and studies such as an interdisciplinary study on success factors for Smart Cities. Digital transactions are another mainstay. David Bomhard is 'extremely adept' at IT contracts.
‘Quick responses to inquiries. Extensive technical and industry expertise. Very pleasant cooperation. Contracts are delivered to a very high standard in every respect.’
‘Full, competent, trustworthy and stringent all-round support from the beginning of the negotiation to the end with a great deal of persuasiveness and assertiveness towards the negotiating partner, i.e. planning, drafting of contract texts, conducting negotiations, coordination, advice and assessment from a single source. The lawyers are always available and work extremely quickly.’
‘Thomas Thalhofer is very competent and experienced in drafting IT contracts and impresses with his stringent and practice-oriented negotiation skills, which are always characterized by a very high degree of goal orientation and assertiveness.’
‘David Bomhard is extremely well-versed in drafting IT contracts and is distinguished by his particular knowledge of contract details, without ever losing the overview and the sense of overall success.’
‘Thomas Heitzer is very competent and experienced and convinces with his deep instructive expertise, through which he is able to convince his negotiating partner.’
Taylor Wessing impresses with its broadly skilled, European-oriented and very experienced IT team that is led by Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche. The practice has a clear focus on digital transformation, hereby advising on digitization projects relating to office and home environments (smart homes) as well as within the health and mobility sectors. In addition, the team is regularly instructed by international blue-chip technology players to advise on matters concerning artificial intelligence, machine learning and virtual reality, as well as on e-commerce issues pertaining to AI. Among other things, Detlef Klett is highly regarded for his assistance to the public sector with IT infrastructure matters. Tobias Schelinski 'is an extremely practical and solution-oriented specialist for all IT issues' and heads the firm's logistics and transport industry group. Maraike Gehrmann is recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very practice-oriented, good risk assessment, very good legal knowledge.’
‘Christian Frank: Very comprehensive knowledge of IT law, very well networked, clear idea of the practical relevance of individual regulations.’
‘Jonathan Kropp: Fast response time combined with extensive expertise.’
‘Fast response times. Internationality. Broad coverage of legal topics.’
‘Very good IT background knowledge. Very efficient communication. Fast response times. ‘
‘Extraordinary competence in the games sector, all relevant areas of law covered by specialists to deal with all questions for the industry.’
‘Tobias Schelinski is an extremely practical and solution-oriented specialist for all IT topics, from complex contractual regulations to consumer and data protection.’
Fujitsu Enabling Software Tech GmbH
- Advising Debeka Group on IT, data protection and insurance regulatory issues pertaining to a comprehensive IT outsourcing project.
- Comprehensive advice to ENX Association on civil, contract, IP, competition and IT law issues relating to the set-up of an industry-wide audit system including mechanisms for exchanging audit results on IT security in the automotive industry.
- IT advice to Berlin-based unicorn sennder on the takeover of Uber Freight’s European business.
In addition to its extensive expertise in IT matters, Baker McKenzie also stands out for the close cooperation with its US offices and broad full-service offering. The practice is jointly headed by Holger Lutz and Michel Schmidl in Munich and Frankfurt respectively, and comprehensively advises international clients particularly often on marketing activities (especially in the social media sphere), e-commerce and telecoms law as well as on IT litigation and IT-related M&A transactions. Florian Tannen frequently assists clients in the automotive industry.
Other key lawyers:
- Advice to a large Asian automobile manufacturer on a new type of (digital) sales concepts for new vehicles (regarding special equipment and additional functionalities) and online sales of vehicles.
- Support of a large Asian automobile manufacturer in the structuring and consolidation of its company-wide automotive software development.
- Advising a large Asian automobile manufacturer on the structuring and design of its telematics offering, including drafting of contracts and data protection.
CSW Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater Wirtschaftsprüfer's IT offering is coordinated by founding partners Isabell Conrad and Jochen Schneider and is characterized by profound competencies in IT and its intersection with media and IP law. The group's main areas of activity include e-commerce and IT-related competition and cartel law, while IT contracts represent another mainstay for the practice, especially with regard to SaaS, fintech issues and agile project methods. Conrad primarily specializes in advising media and telecommunications companies, while Carsten Siara contributes copyright expertise. Maria-Urania Dovas joined Langwieser Rechtsanwälte in January 2022.
Jointly led by Stefan Engels and Thilo von Bodungen, DLA Piper‘s IP and technology team is split between Hamburg, Munich and Cologne. The firm’s international network enables smooth cooperation and advice on cross-border projects, thereby also offering foreign clients ‘clear and concise’ assistance. Mainstays of the practice encompass data analytics, digital transformation, IoT and artificial intelligence, with Jan Geert Meents considered a proven expert in these areas. Jan Pohle specializes in international and national IT compliance, data protection and cyber security projects. The team is also adept at assisting with IT issues in relation to financial and tax law.
‘The team is easy to reach and always available to explain key nuances of German law and practice to a foreign client. They help him to understand best practices when working in the German market. They explain key legal principles in a clear and concise manner and know enough about US and UK commercial law to go through key differences when structuring transactions.’
‘Jan Pohle and Thorsten Ammann are very communicative. Their English is exemplary, as is their ability to explain complex legal issues in English. Their style is particularly helpful as they are always happy to take the time to discuss key differences in law, client and practice that one must consider when doing business in Germany.’
Embedded within a very strong European and international network, Hogan Lovells International LLP's multi-jurisdictional structure also reflects in numerous cross-border instructions for its IT practice, including advice on projects with regards to international data transfer, data breaches and ransomware attacks, as well as telemedicine and financial transactions. Recently, the team also frequently assisted with cloud services, cookies, e-privacy and digital transformation matters (especially in the real estate industry). Burkhart Goebel leads the global IP, media and technology practice, while Andreas Bothe oversees heads the German team. The Düsseldorf-based Miriam Gundt oversees the European business, while Marcus Schreibauer in Düsseldorf and Stefan Schuppert in Munich are also among the group's key contacts. Counsel Sarah-Lena Kreutzmann is another name to note.
ANIMUS GmbH & Co. KG
ExB Labs GmbH
IKB Deutsche Industriebank AG
Tafel Deutschland e.V.
- Advising Catena-X on the establishment of one of its flagship projects on digital infrastructure for European cloud structures.
- Advice to Bitfield AG on a large-volume cryptocurrency mining business and an associated investment in specialized computer systems, including advice on structuring data flows as well as IT and data security.
- Advice to a group of companies operating throughout Germany in the field of infrastructure and transport with growing foreign business in several strategically relevant projects concerning the negotiation of IT project contracts, software license contracts, IT service contracts, hardware procurement contracts, hosting contracts, SAP and CRM systems.
Osborne Clarke primarily applies its IT expertise in digitization projects such as blockchain projects in the mobility sector and data ownership projects in the field of renewable energy, while Flemming Moos' team is also particularly well versed in European e-commerce law. Ulrich Bäumer advises on complex international IT project contracts, counsel Adrian Schneider assists with the development and introduction of innovative IT products in the cloud infrastructure, smart data and machine learning spheres and Konstantin Ewald heads the technology, media and communication sector group.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very good coaching during contract negotiations and also a very good network from which clients can benefit. Also very clear structure in the negotiation process.’
‘Osborne Clarke is a reliable, professional and outstanding partner in all areas. One cannot imagine better and more competent legal advice, especially when it comes to supporting complex and multilateral license agreements. In particular, the strong presence and experience in advising on legal issues in SaaS and PaaS makes Osborne Clarke irreplaceable.’
‘Konstantin Ewald impresses with his inimitable competence in drafting and negotiating complex IT license agreements and in international software license contract law. This expertise is paired with a very affable and personable manner, which is why we look forward to every exchange. He is extremely responsive and easy to deal with across all processes.’
‘Arne Katharina Ruhwinkel, who provides operational and purposeful support and advice on many IT license agreements.’
‘Counsel Adrian Schneider deserves a positive mention. He advises on all data protection issues, especially in a national and international context, and like the entire Osborne Clarke team, he is always friendly, well prepared and equipped with a great deal of specialist knowledge.’
‘Ulrich Bäumer is characterized by a high level of expertise and very quickly develops a good understanding of client’s needs. He is very well connected within the industry and pleasant to deal with. ‘
‘Adrian Schneider: Experienced IT lawyer who develops practical solutions and can also assists with complex contracts at short notice.’
- Advice on contract law to Cancom Managed Services Gmb, including negotiation of IT contracts with customers and subcontractors for cloud services, in particular for EU institutions.
- Assistance to Clinomic GmbH with numerous IT projects, product development and product rollout as well as with joint ventures and funding agreements.
- Ongoing IT legal advice to Dassault Systemes on several proceedings and license agreements.
SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte successfully assists medium-sized companies as well as large international corporations such as Adidas, Apple and LinkedIn with digitization issues; notably, the group recently particularly often advised on digital business model development. In addition, the practice frequently acts in the mobility sector and advises, for instance, automotive companies on the procurement of vehicle software and on development cooperations, and in close cooperation with the firm's IP department also covers matters related to discontinued components of internet infrastructures. The group is also experienced in relevant regulatory matters. Matthias Orthwein heads the team, which also includes Elisabeth Noltenius, who made partner in January 2021, and Daniel Meßmer; the latter is particularly experienced in IT infrastructure and network protection.
‘Matthias Orthwein is a very experienced IT lawyer who is well received by the client and has a pleasant way of negotiating contracts.’
Robert Bosch GmbH
Luneau Technology Deutschland GmbH
Red Bull GmbH
1822direkt Gesellschaft der Frankfurter Sparkasse GmbH
- Advising Apple on regulatory issues and compliance requirements at the intersection of IT and media law.
- Support of Robert Bosch GmbH in contract negotiations for a cooperation with a Chinese provider of AI systems and data pools for autonomous driving.
- Advising a number of companies on the establishment of a world league in e-sports (CS:GO), including all marketing rights for corresponding digital products and data licensing.
Gleiss Lutz' interdisciplinary IT offering roots within the firm's diverse advisory intersections, with the group's digital economy expertise spanning IT, media and data protection as well as M&A and compliance. The practice's interdisciplinarity also becomes evident in experience and specializations of its lawyers: Moritz Holm-Hadulla, for example, is an antitrust lawyer who also focuses on the digitization, new technologies and media spheres. The team is also frequently instructed by clients from the healthcare sector; notably, practice head Stefan Weidert advises AOKs on contracts concerning digital patient files.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very knowledgeable and well-oriented in digitization matters as well as a business-oriented approach to analyzing and handling legal issues.’
‘Stefan Weidert is very helpful with issues concerning the digital sector and extremely knowledgeable, to the point and approachable in his advice.’
Northern Data Software GmbH
Satisfai Health Inc.
Zur Rose Group AG
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE
Carl Zeiss Meditec AG
- Comprehensive advice to Bundesdruckerei on contracts for the production and further development of ID documents, including passports, identity cards, residence cards, as well as various software projects.
- Advising AOK Federal Association on design and negotiations with providers for the further development of its central platform AOK Mein Leben, including, for example, the development of an electronic patient file.
- Advising Northern Data Software GmbH on contracts for the planning, production and operation of high-performance data centers, on whose computers crypto mining and other blockchain applications can be carried out.
GvW Graf von Westphalen
GvW Graf von Westphalen's TMC and IP practice group covers an extensive spectrum of IT issues with a special focus on matters related to the health sector, M&A and public law, while digital transformation issues often take centre stage. Stephan Menzemer, who heads the practice and the firm's international desk, frequently acts in public sector projects as well as private sector matters and also regularly assists with national and international transactions. Thomas Schuster, previously at PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft), joined the recently opened Stuttgart office in March 2021 and advises on public IT and data protection issues including matters pertaining to constitutional law. The team further notably broadened its IT, e-commerce, copyright and media expertise with the arrival of Axel von Walter and other lawyers from ADVANT Beiten.
‘Stephan Menzemer is an outstanding partner. Very obliging, pleasant to deal with, pragmatic, yet very competent.’
‘Very good cooperation, high client orientation, very good competence, flexibility, reliability and commitment.’
‘Stephan Menzemer: professional competence, experience, commitment, balancing mediator and calm head even in difficult negotiation situations.’
‘The practice is particularly recommended for striking the right balance between legal expertise and commercial thinking. They are enormously digital. The work is always characterized by profound legal and industry knowledge (on the part of clients and contractors), which is very helpful. The firm’s key contacts are always extremely competent and responsive. The team is sufficiently staggered (from equity partners to associates) and uses resources accordingly and – also from the client’s point of view – economically. They always close the contract and successfully manage projects.’
‘In the area of information technology and digitization, Stephan Menzemer should be mentioned. He has deep market insight and special expertise on the part of agencies, digitizers as well as on the part of clients and contractors. He leads negotiations to a successful conclusion. He has a 360-degree market view and uses his excellent legal knowledge and negotiation skills to secure deals on behalf of clients.’
‘Michael Herold is an expert in IT in particular, but also in digitization and has a lot of experience there. Particularly strong in healthcare and digitization.’
AEF Agricultural Industry Electronics Foundation e.V.
Asseco Solutions AG, Asseco Solutions GmbH, Asseco Solutions s.r.l.
Cognizant Technology Solutions GmbH
Infoniqa Holding GmbH
Mecklenburgische Versicherungs-Gesellschaft a.G.
STARK Deutschland GmbH
TCI Transformation Consulting International GmbH
Versorgungswerk der Landesärztekammer Hessen
- Provided global support to AEF Agricultural Industry Electronics Foundation on software, licensing, antitrust and privacy issues.
- Advising Biospring GmbH in connection with the licensing of a new inventory management and compliance IT system.
- Support to Infosys Limited as part of their partnership with Daimler AG to transform the IT operating model and IT infrastructure landscape in the areas of workplace services, service desk, data centers, networks and SAP basis.
Greenberg Traurig Germany has strong expertise in IT law and adjacent related issues concerning media, data protection and telecommunications law, while further impressing with its extensive international outreach. The German team around Viola Bensinger frequently assists with software projects, regulatory issues such as geo-blocking and digital health, M&A, contractual disputes as well as SAP implementations. Carsten Kociok has particular expertise in e-commerce, digital payment systems and payment transactions, thereby providing comprehensive advice to financial services sector clients. In January 2021, Laura Zentner made local partner.
‘The GT team is characterized in particular by its extraordinary technical competence, an extremely professional (structured, constructive and result-oriented) working style coupled with above-average efficiency, as well as an excellent understanding of tasks and problems in interdisciplinary fields (e.g. politics, economy and technology) .’
‘On one hand, Viola Bensinger is distinguished by her extraordinarily high professional competence in public sector contracts and in specialist topics such as data protection and data security. On the other hand, Dr. Bensinger is an extremely confident and competent negotiator. Her social and above all friendly nature complete the picture.’
‘The team is very responsive to inquiries. You have a real understanding and experience of digital business challenges and can offer great support in protecting interests in a digitizing world. ‘
‘Viola Bensinger always conveys the great feeling of getting involved on the client’s side, analyzing the situation, as if she were part of the team from the very first minute. She delivers on her promises, on time, quality, with background information and explanations of possible risks.’
ZTE Corp./ZTE Services Deutschland GmbH
Foxxum GmbH / Rlaxx TV GmbH
RBI – Restaurant Brands International
NDC / Garbe Industrial Real Estate GmbH
Laser- und Medizintechnologie GmbH
Hanova Wohnen GmbH
EDGE-Technologien (OVG Real Estate)
- Advising GlobalLogic on numerous software projects.
- Advised Foxxum/Rlaxx TV on all their PaaS developments and contracts with both device manufacturers and content providers as well as technology providers.
- Advising EDGE Technologies on the implementation and use of so-called smart services and intelligent technologies in the real estate industry.
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek's 'very good and established IT practice' is well versed in IT projects in the private and public sector as well as in IT disputes, in particular concerning issues such as licensing and fee levels, SAP management takeovers and failed IT projects. In a highlight for the Cologne team, Dominik Eickemeier advised on an international software project in the automotive sector; he co-heads the practice with Frankfurt-based Markus Lennartz, who is known for his expertise in cybersecurity structures.
‘Very good established IT practice. It has a very good price-performance ratio. Pragmatic and realistic approach. Very good industry knowledge.’
‘Michael Schmittmann is always easy to reach. Delegates to the right person or contributes himself. Has a good grip of the market, opportunities and best practice.’
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's good market reputation for IT matters is primarily due to its in-depth expertise in IT contract law and license negotiations, with practice head Wulff-Axel Schmidt being particularly adept and recognized in these areas. In addition to its advice on classic IT issues, the team also acts in judicial and extrajudicial disputes, particularly between IT service providers and licensors; here, Michael Rath is especially well known while also being well versed in compliance-related IT matters. Maximilian Dorndorf is another litigator who predominantly assists with software projects, research and development projects and with know-how protection and data protection issues.
‘The Luther team around Michael Rath is always available and can be reached quickly from Cologne for f2f meetings. Rath can also be reached by phone late in the evening and implements discussed matters very quickly himself or delegates this to his team. He is absolutely punctual and delivers “finished products” of consistently good quality, which can usually be implemented 1:1 without rework.’
Bernard Krone Holding SE & Co. KG
Deutsche Telekom AG
arvato Systems / Bertelsmann
Bundesministerium für Verkehr und digitale Infrastruktur (BMVI)
Deutsche Bank / Postbank
Procter & Gamble
Imperial Tobacco Limited
Fiege Logistik Stiftung & Co. KG
- Advice to Arvato Systems / Bertelsmann Group in connection with the review of EBA directive and BaFin requirements for the provision of IT services as well as on the legal design of Bertelsmann Collaboration Platform’s IT compliance and framework.
- Advising Bernard Krone Holding SE & Co. KG on license, research and development agreements in connection with investments as part of the company’s digitization strategy in the field of telematics.
- Comprehensive advice to Continental Group on the introduction of a SAP ERP system S/4 HANA, including negotiations with SAP, setting up a bidding process and contract negotiations with SAP partners.
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP
IT advice to automotive industry clients represents a strategic focus for Pinsent Masons Germany LLP whose team often assists with data protection and IT issues pertaining to the connected car. Headed by Stephan Appt, the practice also advises on contracts, data and BPO projects as well as robotics matters. Florian von Baum heads the global practice for technology, science and industry, while Nils Rauer leads the TMT team in Frankfurt.
Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek
Honda Motor Europe Limited
Oracle Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
The Telegraph Media Group
Wolters Kluwer I CCH Tagetik
Visteon Electronics Germany GmbH
- Advising Honda on data protection and connected car matters.
- Representing Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek in proceedings regarding technical measures for the protection of copyrighted content.
- Advising Bose on cooperations with vehicle manufacturers in relation to Bose hardware and software.
ADVANT Beiten's international presence, which had already extended towards the US, experienced further strengthening on European level through the formation of the ADVANT alliance with Italian law firm Nctm Studio Legale and French ADVANT Altana in September 2021; as a result, the firm's video game practice, already highly regarded in Germany, now aims to assume an even more influential position in the European market. Recently, it was Wojtek Ropel in particular who excelled in advising on video game matters; he often assists with the development, licensing and sale of software products and the legal implementation of new business models. Matthias Stecher and Andreas Lober jointly head the practice from Munich and Frankfurt respectively.
‘Holger Weimann: High availability, excellent competence, good negotiator and high ability to think of operationally feasible and timely solutions, very good client support, high reliability.’
Deutscher Hebammenverband e.V.
Die Autobahn GmbH des Bundes
Suzhou Tztek Technology Co Ltd
WEISSER RING Stiftung
- IT-legal support for Autobahn GmbH des Bundes concerning the transformation process of its Autobahn administration.
With a strong presence at the intersection of IT and life sciences, Covington & Burling LLP is particularly active in digital health projects; here the team does not only offer IT law expertise but also draws on in-house regulatory skills and experience in data protection, contractual matters, IP, corporate and M&A. Lars Lensdorf has in-depth knowledge of digitization and Industry 4.0 matters, especially in relation to banking and financial services, as well as of public procurement law, while Moritz Hüsch focuses on internet of things and complex license agreements and cooperations; the duo jointly heads the practice.
Broadridge Deutschland GmbH
Broadridge Financial Solutions Ltd.
GEA Group AG
- Advising GEA Group AG on a large number of national and international IT contracts.
- Advising Broadridge on various IT contracts.
- Advising SmartRecruiters on IT contracts related to a electronic recruiting platform and related services provision.
FPS' IT team focuses on advising software manufacturers and service providers on project contracts as well as the development and marketing of innovative products. Additionally, the group also acts on customer side and assists companies and authorities with IT procurement and digitization issues. One of the practice's distinguishing features is its close cooperation between IT and procurement law experts who jointly act for public clients and bidders in high-volume tendering processes. Notably, the firm has been expanding its activity in the areas of proptech, mobility and e-health since 2020. Hauke Hansen and Christoph Suessenberger in Frankfurt as well as Jörg Kornbrust in Berlin are the key contacts.
Bundesamt für die Sicherheit der nuklearen Entsorgung
Catalina Marketing Corp.
Dassault Systèmes SE
e-shelter security GmbH
Evangelische Schulstiftung in der EKBO
HEAG mobilo GmbH
Investa Holding GmbH
LB Immobilienbewertungsgesellschaft mbH
Maxon Computer GmbH
Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund Servicegesellschaft mbH
WEKANDO IT SOLUTIONS GmbH
- Advising the Federal Office for the Safety of Nuclear Waste Management on a platform for an online specialist conference including citizen participation and an online consultation platform.
- Advising Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund Servicegesellschaft mbH on IT law and data protection aspects of a tender for public transport product Shuttle on Demand.
- Representing Dassault Systèmes SE in a license agreement dispute with an automotive supplier.
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB's IP and IT commercial team primarily offers advice on topics such as e-commerce, SaaS, cloud and digitization solutions. Florian Schmitz, who is known as an IT outsourcing and BPO expert, leads the team and predominantly advises DAX companies, prestigious clients such as Samsung and Rheinmetall Electronics as well as several federal states. Axel Czarnetzki focuses on IT contract law and license agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good empathy for understanding the organization and its operations. Highly persuasive of internal critics. Clear goals and sticking to schedules.’
‘In addition to his legal expertise, Axel Czarnetzki has also actively contributed in a comprehensive advisory capacity based on his experiences with other customers for IT applications. He can be contacted at any time for any individual question and will ensure an immediate answer, even during vacation times.’
AGF Videoforschung GmbH
Deutsche Bank AG
Deutsche Telekom AG
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
IRT – Institut für Rundfunktechnik GmbH
Rheinmetall Electronics GmbH
Samsung Electronics GmbH
T-Systems International GmbH
WEAT Electronic Datenservice GmbH
- Advice to Samsung Electronics GmbH, often on IT matters touching on other legal areas (e.g. insurance solutions for the sale of smartphones, Samsung Pay and health apps).
- Advising Rheinmetall Cyber Solutions GmbH on contractual and legal structuring of the sale of their newly developed IT security solution.
- Advising HELLA Group on the partial realignment of their IT: support in a tender for outsourcing/SAP services, including contract drafting and negotiations with several bidders, as well as support in the negotiation of cloud service contracts with various providers, with particular consideration of data protection aspects.
Heussen Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's successful and broad IP, IT and media practice is headed by Hermann Waldhauser and based on three pillars: the production and marketing of intellectual and technical products; IT and data protection law, both on contentious level as well as with regards to contracts and transactions; and e-commerce. Waldhauser, Markus Junker and Mark Münch are the respective key contacts for these areas. Recently, the group has also been increasingly active in fintech matters as well in advising banks on SaaS contracts.
Alfred Kärcher GmbH & Co. KG und Tochterunternehmen
WE DO communication GmbH
Fidor Bank AG and affiliates
Brandenburger Gruppe, Brandenburger Liegenschaftsverwaltung GmbH & Co. KG
Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften München
MULTIVAC Sepp Haggenmüller SE & Co. KG
Goethe -Institut e.V.
Hartl GmbH & Co. KG
Schölly Fiberoptic GmbH
- Advising DigiTale on agency framework and individual contracts, among other things.
- IT and data protection advice to Kärcher Futuretech in relation to tenders.
- Advising Goethe Institute on the Europe-wide tender for an online proctering solution.
McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP advises German medium-sized companies as well as international corporations, often from the TMT industries, as well as financial institutions on a wide range of IT issues such as contracts and regulatory matters while acting both in advisory as well as forensic capacity. Wolfgang von Frentz is considered a TMT and data protection expert and specializes in the development of IT systems to optimize production and sales among other things; he jointly heads the practice with Ralf Weisser, who frequently assists with industry 4.0 matters, connectivity, cloud computing and online shopping.
Other key lawyers:
‘Wolfgang von Frentz and his team are extremely competent.’
ProSiebenSat1 Media SE
Intersnack Group GmbH & Co. KG
Deutsche Telekom AG
IP Deutschland/ RTL Interactive
SURFTOWN Hallbergmoos GmbH
ZWILLING J.A. Henckels AG
Telefónica Germany GmbH & Co. OHG
Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH
- Advising Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH on a software-as-a-service contract for an industry 4.0 software solution for the analysis of production data. Further contract drafting for the transition to AWS cloud solutions via a reseller and service provider, AllClouds, as well as an enterprise agreement with AWS.
- Representing Telefónica Germany GmbH & Co. OHG in a dispute with Atos Information Technology GmbH regarding cost recovery for third parties and smooth transformation to new service providers after the foreseeable termination of one of the largest first-generation IT outsourcing contracts at the time.
- Advising SURFTOWN Hallbergmoos GmbH on a contract for the design and purchase of technology for the first large artificial surf park in Germany.
Oppenhoff's IT and telecoms team focuses on IT-driven transactions stemming from its corporate practice; digitization issues that are being handled by the firm's separate digitization group; and on traditional IT matters such as SaaS, open source and T&Cs. Additionally, the group's expertise in the cyber security sphere particularly benefits clients from the healthcare, automotive and energy sectors. Marc Hilber and Jürgen Hartung jointly lead the practice.
‘Reliable, practical team with creative and resilient solution proposals. Oppenhoff & Partner is a strong and reliable partner who is always available and also offers desired success at reasonable costs at short notice.’
‘From associate to partner, excellent work is done throughout and 24/7 availability is realized. Even associates have amazingly in-depth specialist knowledge, so that the client does not have to pay for the “training periods” of job starters. Due to flat hierarchies and partner’s trust in associates, an unnecessary cost increase due to loss of coordination is also avoided.’
‘Marc Hilber, Jürgen Hartung and Mareike Heesing stand out in particular.’
‘Marc Hilber and his team are able to combine both a good technological and economic understanding of the matter with precise legal advice and support for the client. Despite the complexity of the issues, the quality of legal advice makes it easy to make a well-founded decision on how to proceed.’
RWE Renewables GmbH
Johnson & Johnson
Bergfreunde GmbH (Backcountry Gruppe)
Kramer & Crew
- Advising RWE Renewables GmbH on complex copyright issues.
- Comprehensive advice to Andagon/Aqua on a new collaboration platform.
- Advising IT service provider Nexus on various IT projects, including with BoschSiemens Hausgeräte, Siemens Switzerland, Cologne/Bonn Airport and Deutsche Post AG.
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP's combined IT and data protection practice can rely on the strong link between its German and international offices, whose cross-border cooperation enables advice to not only German but also international clients such as technology companies and start-ups with a global reach. The latter represent a large part of the group's client base which benefits from the firm's flexible consulting and pricing models. Thomas Fischl, who advises on media-related IT matters, jointly heads the practice with Andreas Splittgerber, who primarily focuses on IT contracts, internet law as well as disputes between internet platforms.
Other key lawyers:
‘Andreas Splittgerber and his team have exceptional qualifications in data protection issues and is particularly adept in legally securing innovative business models in exchange with data protection authorities.’
‘In addition to his excellent professional qualifications, Andreas Splittgerber is particularly distinguished by his ability to understand the (data protection) legal perspective as a component of business decisions to be made and to enable decision-makers to weigh them up against other components. In an innovative environment, Andreas Splittgerber is therefore instrumental to the development of a (data) legally compliant business model. In addition, he keeps a cool head even in extremely tense situations and makes things light.’
‘Andreas Splittgerber advises on legal disputes in connection with user-generated content, eg claims for defamation. He is a persistent litigator who understands the client well. He is also technically strong and very ‘user friendly’ for international customers.’
avocado Rechtsanwälte has a strong focus on intellectual property, media and information technology and advises clients on IT but also data protection matters such as digitization projects in connection with cloud services. The use of blockchain-based IT products also features heavily in practice head Jan Peter Voß' caseload.
‘Very close ongoing coordination with the client on equal footing.’
‘Jan Peter Voß is always available for clients.’
‘Avocado stands for a very practical approach that is geared towards client’s corporate interests. In particular, it is positive to note that contract negotiations are conducted in a very goal-oriented manner, while always keeping an eye on the client company’s requirements. Furthermore, matters are managed very independently and, in time-critical cases, also at very short notice.’
‘Thorsten Lieb, Jan Peter Voß and Jörg Michael Voß work in a goal-oriented manner and are geared towards the speedy conclusion of a contract, without losing sight of the client’s contractual criteria.’
‘Extremely pleasant, trusting cooperation, very good flow of information between colleagues in the firm, always mindful of an economically sensible approach.’
‘Jörg Michael Voß: Very good trusty relationship, factual and professional competence, time-oriented, absolutely reliable, always available, no matter when and on what topic.’
‘Fast, precise and practical information, also in a reasonable price range.’
‘Jörg Michael Voß is personable and always available and offers practical solutions.’
Best Gaming Technology AG
Brandt & Partner GmbH
Brandt Software-Produkte GmbH
dab: Daten-Analysen & Beratung GmbH
Deutsche Telekom AG und Tochtergesellschaften
DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH
DIC Asset AG, DIC Onsite GmbH
Faubel & Co. Nachf. GmbH
Heraeus Holding GmbH und deren IT-Tochtergesellschaft Heraeus infosystems GmbH
imc Test & Measurement GmbH
KMC Media Consult GmbH
Media Frankfurt GmbH
msg global solutions Deutschland GmbH
R+W Antriebselemente GmbH
SMC Deutschland GmbH
TK8 Sports Academy GmbH / Toni Kroos App
Wicklmayr Real Estate GmbH
WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA
ZMG – Zeitungs Marketing Gesellschaft mbH & Co. KG c
- Advice on data protection and IT law to anykey GmbH as well as contract drafting of, among other things, IT service framework agreements.
- Ongoing advice to Basler Versicherungen on IT and data protection law, IT litigation and IT outsourcing.
- Ongoing IT and data protection advice to Best Gaming Technology AG.
Deloitte Legal Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH offers a comprehensive range of advice in the digital sphere, which not only covers traditional IT issues, but also other prevailing topics such as digitization, cloud computing, internet of things and digital business models; here, the group can rely on its digitization consultants, AI experts, cyber and litigation specialists from Deloitte Digital Consulting as well as a risk advisory team and its international network. Tobias Fuchs leads the Munich team and assists, among other things, with digital transformation matters. His team welcomed IP expert Klaus Brisch from DWF in July 2020 as well as IP and data protection lawyer Adrian Merklinger in January 2021. Compliance expert Sophie Bings focuses on digital transformation and regulatory matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Katharina Scheja is very pragmatic and client-oriented. Very pleasant cooperation.’
‘Efficient and solution-oriented work and advice. Professional excellence.’
‘Söntje Julia Hilberg and her colleagues consistently enable a short-term response to inquiries and are characterized by pragmatic, solution-oriented and efficient work. The technical expertise is excellent. ‘
Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V.
Deutsche Bahn AG
EFRE-Forschungsprojekt Tech Rad
Einrichtungspartnerring GmbH & Co. KG (EPR)
G&L Geißendörfer & Leschinsky GmbH
GS1 Germany GmbH
International Data Spaces e.V.
KSB SE & Co. KGaA
Martin Bauer Group
Lufthansa AirPlus Servicekarten GmbH
Rohde & Schwarz Gruppe
- Advice to Einrichtungspartnerring GmbH & Co. KG on the introduction of its digital privacy manager.
- Advice to Medical Measurement Systems BV on the introduction of its digital privacy manager.
- Assisting Lufthansa AirPlus Servicekarten GmbH with its entire digital business transformation.
Latham & Watkins LLP's IT team assists clients with IT contracts, new business model analysis with regard to consumer protection law requirements as well as with IT and IP issues related to M&A transactions; here, Thies Deike is a key contact who focuses on the needs of the financial sector. Data protection is another mainstay for the practice.
Pricewaterhousecoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft
PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal AG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft) specializes in advising on large IT implementation and outsourcing projects. The team is jointly led by Tobias von Tucher in Munich and Jan-Peter Ohrtmann in Düsseldorf and particularly renowned for its advice on technology transfers and transactions, as well as on licensing issues and contracts. Associate Janina Thieme focuses on projects and contracts concerning cloud computing, international data management and compliance.
Other key lawyers:
Scandlines Deutschland GmbH
- Large IT procurement for the public sector, including a legal dispute over contractual fulfilment.
- Advising Scandlines Deutschland GmbH on IT law issues, in particular the drafting and negotiation of an IT contract for the procurement and implementation of a software solution.
- Advising and representing Cherry GmbH in connection with the disputed termination of an IT outsourcing contract with a large German IT system house. Subsequent contractual advice on the negotiation of IT outsourcing and various IT service contracts with the Germany’s largest IT system house.
TCI Rechtsanwälte recently focused its advice on cloud needs of public and corporate clients, where the team has particular expertise in negotiations with solution providers such as Microsoft. In addition, the group also saw an increase in instructions related to digitization projects, license agreements and IT procurement. Stephan Schmidt in Mainz, Thomas Stögmüller in Munich and Markus Schmidt in Berlin are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice has excellent specialists who are readily available.’
‘Thomas Stögmüller can simplify complex issues and his advice doesn’t overlook anything.’
BKA, Bundesministerium des Innern
Bundesministerium des Innern, für Bau und Heimat
CompuGroup MedicalSE& Co. KGaA
Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bund
Deutscher Genossenschafts-Verlag eG
Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.
Klopotek & Partner GmbH, Klopotek North America Inc., Klopotek SAS, Klopotek BV
Land Berlin, Polizeipräsident
palleos healthcare GmbH
Port Sol 19 GmbH
Technogroup Technogroup IT-Service GmbH (an evernex company)
- Advising arago GmbH on IT law and contract negotiations.
- Advising the Federal Ministry of the Interior on contract negotiations with Microsoft.
As part of international network Lawyers Associated Worldwide, von BOETTICHER Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB is globally well connected which also reflects in its IT team's instructions by global corporations and smaller international companies. The Berlin-based Anselm Brandi-Dohrn often advises on cross-border transactions, while the Munich-based Sven Schlotzhauer specializes in assisting online platforms; Angelika Hoche assists Verizon Media with all IT matters in Germany.
National Instruments Gruppe
Fuba Automotive Electronics GmbH
Ventiv Technology Group International Ltd
Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik
- Advising and representing a global corporation in a dispute against the public sector concerning a failed software development project.
- Advising and representing a global corporation in a dispute with the largest German bad bank concerning an outsourcing framework agreement.
- Advising a global corporation in a dispute with an aviation group concerning the interpretation of an outsourcing contract.
Waldeck Rechtsanwälte PartmbB's practice for digital and technology matters focuses on broadband expansion, blockchain and, due to its interdisciplinary competence in banking law, cashless payments. Key contacts Thomas Helmut Fischer and Jens-Holger Petri are well versed in IT, outsourcing and public procurement law. Among other things, the team is particularly known for its long-standing client relationship with Deutsche Telekom.
White & Case LLP‘s Jost Kotthoff is known for his work in outsourcing and IT transactions and leads the firm’s IT and digitalization practice. The practice is particularly active in advising on cloud matters, IT contracts as well as on financial technology, where Hamburg-based Martin Munz is the key contact. Additionally, Sylvia Lorenz assists with all aspects concerning digital platforms, especially with contract negotiations.
- Advised Deutsche Bank AG on a multi-year strategic partnership with Google Cloud.
- Advising a leasing company on the purchase of its central software for customer contract management along with corresponding maintenance services.
- Representing various clients in out-of-court and judicial matters relating to failed IT projects.