EU, competition and distribution in France
With offices in Paris and Brussels, BDGS Associés frequently advises leading French multinationals in banking, transport, and the real estate sectors on all areas of competition law, especially in state aid and merger control cases involving complex, cross-border transactions. The team is also experienced in distribution and regulatory matters, as well as antitrust litigation. Antoine Gosset-Grainville is particularly experienced in state aid, while Maria Trabucchi focuses on anti-trust litigation and follow-on damages claims. Additionally, Mathilde Damon deals with merger control and Jérôme Fabre is also a key contact.
Antoine Gosset-Grainville; Maria Trabucchi
Other key lawyers:
Jérôme Fabre; Mathilde Damon
La Banque Postale
Agence des Participations de l’Etat
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
Région des Pays de la Loire
- Advised LOV Group and its French affiliate Banijay Group on the unconditional clearance by the European Commission of its $2.2bn acquisition of Endemol Shine Group, this transaction positioning Banijay Group as the largest audiovisual content producer and distributor worldwide.
- Advised the French State Shareholding Agency (Agence des Participations de l’Etat – APE) on the financial measures put in place by the French State in favour of Air France in the context of the Covid-19 crisis, for a total amount of €7bn.
- Advised Campofrío as the first leniency applicant before the French competition authority with respect to cartel practices that took place in the charcuterie area in France during the years 2010-2013, resulting in a fine of nearly €100m globally.
The sizable team at Bredin Prat is an outstanding practice, known for its work advising international clients and French blue-chip companies in the high-tech and luxury sectors on merger control, private damages claims, and antitrust litigation. Members of the team act on some of the most complex, high-profile matters for the French Competition Authority and the European Commission. Olivier Billard is known for his state aid practice, while Hugues Calvet is an expert in antitrust litigation. Marie-Cécile Rameau covers all areas of competition law, including investigations. Yelena Trifounovitch is an expert in regulated sectors; Pierre Honoré is head of the Brussels office and splits his time between Paris and Brussels; and counsel Guillaume Fabre is highly experienced in state aid and merger control cases. The team was further strengthened by the arrival of Igor Simic, who brings particular expertise in antitrust litigation and cross-border merger control, from Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier in January 2021.
Hugues Calvet; Olivier Billard; Marie-Cécile Rameau; Yelena Trifounovitch; Pierre Honoré
Other key lawyers:
Guillaume Fabre; Igor Simic; Anne Jussiaux
Johnson & Johnson
LVMH – Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy
PSA Peugeot Citroën
- Defended Apple before the French Competition Authority in connection with alleged anticompetitive practices regarding its distribution network in France.
- Defended Uber before the Paris Commercial court in a complaint brought by Viacab and the FFTP.
- Notified the French Competition Authority of the merger of D’Aucy and Triskalia.
Clifford Chance frequently acts for international companies in the digital economy, pharmaceuticals, and energy sectors regarding competition law. The team is strong in state aid matters, EU public policy practice, and high-profile FCA and EU antitrust investigations. Notably, it recently launched its own digital dawn raid application to assist clients in regulatory investigations. David Tayar is highly experienced in antitrust litigation and investigations. He works alongside Katrin Schallenberg, who is involved in key cross-border merger control matters. Of counsel Michel Petite is an expert in all areas of EU regulations.
David Tayar; Katrin Schallenberg
Other key lawyers:
Michael Petite; Emily Xueref-Poviac
‘Very good knowledge of our business and excellent responsiveness from David Tayar.’
‘Clifford Chance’s Paris EU, competition and distribution law team is knowledgeable, solution-oriented, responsive, and commercially aware. The team is very experienced, notably in terms of merger control which is a great advantage when dealing with complex filings.’
‘I am particularly appreciative of the team’s knowledge, responsiveness and ability to provide solutions.’
‘A team of very great specialists, led by the excellent David Tayar, they are always available and responsive, providing very detailed analyses and anticipating risks upstream of cases.’
‘Beyond his excellent legal skills and the exceptional quality of the service provided, David Tayar is brilliant in his analyses and always provides expert advice. He always comes up with an innovative strategy to get the best results. He has a very thorough knowledge of the world of competition law which allows him to navigate with confidence in the system.’
‘David Tayar, a partner at the Paris office, gives outstanding service with deep understanding of business needs and practicality. He is sharp, devoted and super responsive.’
Agence des Participations de l’Etat (APE)
Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries
- Acted for Starbucks in the procedure before the Commission and General Court regarding the Commission’s decision that a tax ruling granted by The Netherlands conferred illegal state aid on Starbucks.
- Advised Carrefour on its purchasing alliance with Tesco. This alliance covers both branded and own label products.
- Advised Oracle on a complaint of abuse of dominance against Google in the online advertising sector, lodged before the French Competition Authority.
Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier has developed its high-profile competition litigation and complex merger control proceedings into two equally strong areas of expertise for leading French multinationals, both at the EU and national level. The team is also experienced in handling follow-on damages cases and state aid matters. Practice head Didier Théophile is known for advising on large-scale merger control cases, and also has significant expertise in FCA investigations and competition matters in the regulated industries, including the telecoms, media and postal sectors. Other key members of the team include counsel Guillaume Aubron.
Other key lawyers:
Guillaume Aubron; Alexandre Rios
The broad practice at De Pardieu Brocas Maffei advises clients in the banking, energy, and healthcare sectors on areas such as state aid, follow-on damages claims, and high-profile antitrust litigation. The team is also experienced acting on significant cases before the FCA and EU Commission, as well as complex merger controls both within France and the EU. Practice leader and key contact Philippe Guibert is experienced in all areas of competition law. He is joined by counsel Laëtitia Gavoty Tolot, who is experienced in antitrust litigation, state aid, and merger control. Barbara Levy specialises in transactional and litigation matters. Emmanuel Durand joined DWF (France) AARPI in January 2021.
Philippe Guibert; Barbara Levy
Other key lawyers:
Laëtitia Gavoty Tolot
‘They are excellent professionals and very pleasant to be around, even in case of diverging interests.’
‘’Philippe Guibert is the star of the team and is one of the best practitioners on the market, and recognised as such.’
‘A firm of remarkable efficiency, exceptional competence and remarkable links with its clients and other law firms.’
‘The head of the competition practice Philippe Guibert is an exceptional lawyer by his talent, his exceptional competence, his implication in the files and his personality unanimously appreciated.’
‘Excellent competition law team led by one of the very best specialists in the market, Philippe Guibert.’
‘One of the best Parisian firms for merger control and anticompetitive practices, handling high profile and complex matters. High quality of services, very reactive and always very pleasant to work with. ’
‘Philippe Guibert, head of the practice, is always available and offers top notch advice. He is very good for complex mergers, and maintains very good relationship with authorities. He is also a fearsome litigator, a fantastic blend of civility and sharpness, impressive during the hearings. His large team is really great, with remarkable counsels fully dedicated to your case. ’
‘It is one of the rare high-level practice groups within a large independent French firm.’
‘Philippe Guibert is a talented lawyer who is a pleasure to work with – he is at the top of his game.’
Groupe Bernard Hayot (GBH)
Group BELL AG / Group COOP
Paris 2024 (Olympic Games organization Committee)
Federation Franchaise du Baitment
Siemens Health Care
Groupe RUBIS (Oil)
Les Cinemas Pathe Gaumont
Ligue de Football Professionel
Ligue Nationale de Basketball
The North Face
- Acted for MAN and Volkswagen in the private enforcement litigations initiated before the French courts by some of their French clients.
- Acted for Swiss groups Coop and Bell, second leniency applicants; the FCA has applied a “leniency plus” reduction of fines to both companies for the second time in its records taking into consideration the very high level of applicants’ cooperation.
- Advised Groupe Bernard Hayot on the acquisition of Casino-Vindemia from Casino with structural (fix-it-first) and behavioural remedies.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. acts for blue-chip French and international clients operating in the technology, media, and transport sectors in complex litigation and investigations involving follow-on damages claims, and on high-profile merger control cases, particularly those involving cross-border issues involving many African countries. The Paris team is supported by the firm's Brussels office. Antoine Choffel advises on distribution and is highly experienced in French and EU competition law. Emmanuel Reille is an expert in complex merger control cases, while Dimitri Dimitrov and Franck Audran both advise on multi-jurisdictional merger control cases and litigation. Additionally, Hélene Vey-Morit was promoted to counsel in January 2020.
Antoine Choffel; Dimitri Dimitrov; Emmanuel Reille; Franck Audran
Other key lawyers:
‘Gide’s EU Competition team in Paris is consists of excellent experts. The strengths of the team is based on their track record. The French team is very available for its clients. Emmanuel Reille is a very good expert.’
‘The team is highly qualified, responsive and has an extensive technical knowledge regarding distribution law. ’
‘Franck Audran is a very pleasant person to work with who shows great interest in his clients and the work that is needed. He has an extensive technical knowledge on distribution law with experience from many sectors which enable him to respond to clients.’
‘Gide’s team is exceptional because it is made up of a large number of very high-level lawyers. The Gide team can thus take charge of any type of antitrust case (merger, antitrust, state aid, litigation, investigations, etc.). Whatever its size. The Paris and Brussels offices are excellent and the teams numerous and talented. Foreign offices also have competition specialists in Poland, Turkey, China, Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, etc. The network on which Gide relies is also powerful.’
Caisse des dépôts et des consignations
Maus Frères SA
Apple EMEIA, Apple Inc
Discovery Group / Eurosport
Fedrus – VM Building Solutions (formerly Umicore)
- Successfully advised the Agence France-Presse (AFP) on the precautionary measures ordered by the French Competition Authority against Google News regarding the implementation of press agency and publisher neighbouring rights.
- Advised Transat AT on the filing before the European Commission of its merger with Air Canada.
- Acted for several players in the hotel industry, including a regional trade association, before the French Competition Authority following an investigation related to an exchange of information between competitors in La Réunion, French island, through the trade association for more than ten years.
Latham & Watkins principally advises domestic and international clients active in the technology, media, and transportation sectors on both French and EU competition matters, as well as private enforcement, merger control, and regulatory and state aid issues. Jacques-Philippe Gunther was promoted to vice-chair of the global antitrust and competition group and is experienced in investigations before the FCA and EU Commission; Frederic Pradelles and Adrien Giraud are both experts in merger control and antitrust litigation. Mathilde Saltiel, who made partner in March 2021, is experienced in multi-jurisdictional merger control filings, as well as cartel investigations and abuse of dominance litigation.
Jacques-Philippe Gunther; Frédéric Pradelles; Adrien Giraud
Other key lawyers:
Mathilde Saltiel; Frédéric Pradelles; Adrien Giraud
‘A team able to provide assistance on all aspects of antitrust, merger and state aid competition law. A team that adapts to the working methods of its clients. Adrien Giraud is a pragmatic and efficient lawyer able to quickly provide precise advice on complex matters.’
On a state aid law case, the L&W team in Paris did an excellent job which enabled our company to win a dispute before the EU General Court where the stakes were high. I especially recommend Adrien Giraud and Jacques-Philippe Gunther for their high level of expertise and the quality of their advice, always adapted to the situation and the strategy of our Group, beyond purely contentious issues.’
‘The partner Jacques-Philippe Gunther is particularly innovative and instils this state of mind in his team.’
‘Latham & Watkins has a dynamic, efficient, accessible and highly qualified team. They quickly integrate the challenges of their customers and manage to offer adapted solutions thanks to their experience and flexibility. They perfectly respect the constraints of the deadlines and are available when necessary.’
‘The Latham & Watkins antitrust team has a great capacity for work, understands quickly and well the issues raised. The team acts as a facilitator on transactions, especially when transactions become more complex.’
‘Mathilde Saltiel has a remarkable understanding of the market. Mathilde Saltiel inspires great confidence in her clients.’
Alliance de la Presse et d’Information Générale
Getlink (Formerly known as Eurotunnel)
- Advised EssilorLuxottica S.A. on the acquisition of an international retailer (GrandVision) in the eyewear sector.
- Advised the French payment group Worldline on the acquisition of its rival, Ingenico.
- Successfully represented Alliance de la Presse d’Information Générale (APIG) in a complaint before the French competition authority against Google regarding an abuse of dominance and of economic dependency in relation to its use of snippets and other editors’ protected content.
The sizable team at Linklaters acts on significant and complex merger control matters at both the French and EU levels. It has particularly strong expertise in high-profile litigation and cartel investigations. Furthermore, it has recently engaged in large-scale merger control cases in the automotive and retail sectors. The team has also advised on key state aid and private litigation matters. Anne Wachsmann is an expert in cartel and merger control matters in the automotive, pharmaceutical, and aviation sectors; Pierre Zelenko focuses on litigation and state aid; Thomas Elkins splits his time between Paris and Brussels, and is an expert in follow-on litigation.
Anne Wachsmann; Pierre Zelenko; Thomas Elkins
Other key lawyers:
Charlotte Colin-Dubuisson; Nicolas Zacharie
‘I’ve worked with Thomas Elkins on a significant transaction for which antitrust matters were crucial. In addition to his technical skills, we were impressed by his ability to share and convey complex information to the various teams, in an efficient way. Thomas perfectly understands the client’s needs and adjusts adequately to achieve the targeted objectives, at the best cost. ’
‘Linklaters team is very business-oriented and has a pragmatic approach. They know our industry and we can rely on their guidance. Thomas Elkins is a very serious and expert lawyer in competition law. Very available for his clients.’
‘The Linklaters competition team in Paris is fully committed to assist its clients and offer high reactivity, reliable and pragmatic advice as well as a business oriented point of view. Level of the team looks pretty homogeneous and allows access to a broader team when needed.’
‘What I think is important, especially on a long term case like the one I am currently working on with the team, is to be able to rely on someone like Pierre Zelenko who is able to adopt a very sensible and consistent approach and bring its technical expertise while having a business oriented approach. Thomas Elkins also assist us on long term basis and looks particularly qualified and experienced.’
‘The team of Anne Wachsmann and Thomas Elkins is preceded by its excellent reputation. Indispensable because of their experience, they are also essential because of the quality of the service provided. The work is precise, always neat, and of excellent quality.’
‘I am impressed by the remarkable professional qualities of Thomas Elkins: his precise knowledge of the subjects, his experience, his pragmatic approach to questions, his unwavering calm and his political acumen are invaluable assets in the management of complex files. Beyond that, his availability, his kindness and his human qualities make him a person with whom working is a pleasure.’
PSA Peugeot Citroën
Centre Scientifique et Technique du Bâtiment
Groupe Bruxelles Lambert
- Advised PSA Peugeot Citroën on its high-profile merger with FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles), unifying both their core automotive businesses and related banking activities.
- Advised GrandVision on EssilorLuxottica’s high-profile takeover creating a leading global eyecare and eyewear company.
Peltier Juvigny Marpeau & Associés is experienced in French and EU merger control cases, especially regarding multi-jurisdictional matters. The team is known for its work on high-profile antitrust litigation, such as contentious behavioural cases in many African countries, as well as state aid cases and private enforcement. Olivier de Juvigny frequently acts for numerous French and US companies in contentious issues. Thibault Reymond is particularly strong in antitrust litigation, distribution law, and merger control cases, while Ning-Ly Seng advises on merger control, state aid, and follow-on litigation.
Olivier de Juvigny; Thibault Reymond; Ning-Ly Seng
Other key lawyers:
Thibault Reymond; Thomas Bardusco; Agathe Sunderland
‘Ning-Ly Seng brings a lot of precision and depth to litigation.’
‘Very nice practice which works in full integration with the company. Great sense of business, commitment and unfailing responsiveness.’
‘Olivier de Juvigny is an exceptional lawyer, with in-depth expertise, a great knowledge of the business and very valuable negotiating skills.’
Searchlight Capital Partners
Caisse des dépôts
- Represented Servier and its subsidiary Biogaran in “a pay for delay” and abuse of dominant position case.
- Represented Nutrixo (and its subsidiary Grands Moulins de Paris) in its appeal against the French Competition Authority’s decision in the packaged flour cartel case.
- Acted for BNP Paribas in a case before the Supreme Court that annulled the Paris Court of Appeal decision.
The specialist competition law team at Vogel & Vogel has established itself as a key resource for clients seeking advice on distribution law, as well as merger control, state aid, and antitrust litigation. It is particularly strong in advising clients in the automotive, aviation, energy, and media sectors and has recently expanded its geographic reach to include French Polynesia. Joseph Vogel is highly experienced in competition and distribution law, as well as high-profile merger control matters. Juliette Blouet is an expert in telecoms, while Fernanda de Abreu advises clients in the media and energy sectors. Laurence Boudailliez and Cécile Assémat both specialise in distribution.
Joseph Vogel; Louis Vogel; Juliette Blouet; Fernanda de Abreu; Laurence Boudailliez; Cécile Assémat; Julia Coste; Charles Fahrner and Sylvain Corvol
‘Joseph Vogel is very competent, meticulous, precise and a good strategist on all subjects related to competition law. One of the best lawyers in France in this field.’
Beaumanoir / La Halle
Beaumanoir / NAF-NAF
Bouygues Telecom – Phoenix Tower International
Gigicel v Orange
Bouygues v Ile de France Region
SALTO (for TF1)
Caisse des Depots
Comite des Constructeurs Francais D’Automible
- Defended Wane group in an abuse of dominance complaint.
- Advised TF1 in a merger control case for the creation of Salto.
- Advised Bouygues Telecom in a merger control case to create a partnership with Phoenix Tower International.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP has built up a strong reputation for advising blue-chip French and international clients on high-profile behavioural cases, including cartel investigations and abuse of dominance litigation. The team also acts on merger control cases, including multi-jurisdictional filings, high-profile state aid matters, and follow-on litigation. It has particular experience advising clients in the consumer goods, banking and finance, and energy sectors. Practice leader Florence Ninane is experienced in all areas of competition law. Additionally, associate Roxane Hicheri is a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very good knowledge of all aspects of competition law: mergers, anti-competitive practices and state aid.’
‘Florence Ninane has a high degree expertise and pragmatism, very good customer contact.’
‘Florence Ninane is an excellent lawyer, she’s committed, good-humoured, and strategic.’
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
Agence des Participations de l’Etat
Procter & Gamble
Crédit Mutuel Arkea
Samsung Electronics France
Ashurst LLP is particularly strong in complex, high-profile antitrust litigation and state aid matters. Additionally, it has niche expertise in complex abuse of dominance cases. Other areas of strength are cartel cases and follow-on damages claims. Of note is that team members have a track record acting for major domestic and international clients in regulated industries such as energy, transport and media. Furthermore, it has developed its experience in domestic and cross-border merger control cases. Practice leader Christophe Lemaire is regarded for his work in antitrust law, state aid and regulatory matters, while Michaël Cousin focuses on antitrust law and merger control for clients in the energy, transport, and media sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is highly experienced in competition law and has a great understanding and knowledge of the client’s way of operating. Additionally, it did not hesitate to offer innovative solutions.‘
‘This team is very business oriented and helps us to respond in a very concrete way to situations that we encounter.’
‘This team has a specific and broad knowledge in the EU, competition and distribution practice. It is highly available and able to adapt to potential particularities of the case.‘
‘The specialised comprehension, legal and economic, of the Partner Christophe Lemaire and his impact with his team are to be underlined.‘
‘The competition team is very professional, proactive and reactive. In particular, Christophe Lemaire has experience with very complex antitrust matters and understand very well the economic environment of the cases. He always makes himself personally available and he is involved and close to the client. He seeks to make the law understandable.‘
‘The strengths of the Ashurst firm are their great expertise combined with a very precise understanding of business issues.‘
‘In addition to his immense expertise, Christophe Lemaire has a very strong ability to understand business issues, a great expertise in our activity and the creativity and hindsight necessary to find the solutions that allow us to carry out our projects while protecting our interests. In addition, he has a very high capacity for listening, intellectual vivacity and responsiveness. On a personal level, he is a person who applies the right measure that allows you to remain professional while promoting pleasant and enriching exchanges.‘
‘Excellent knowledge of our field of activity and ability to make links between our different files for a better overall treatment, reinforced by a history of several years.‘
‘Very concrete and pedagogical approach to legal issues, which goes very well with operational staff, sometimes a little disconcerted by lawyers.’
‘Michaël Cousin stands out for his responsiveness and efficiency as well as his pragmatism and interpersonal skills.’
‘This team has an excellent knowledge of our issues in European law. The quality of interactions with Christophe Lemaire who is always very involved in the missions carried out.’
Bosch and Coup France
Bacardi Martini France
- Advised Engie on the state aid notification of its offshore floating wind farm project.
- Advised Colgate Palmolive in relation to the merger filing of its acquisition of Laboratoires Filorga to the French Competition Authority.
- Acted for Coup France before the Paris Commercial Court in relation to the action of a competitor in order to obtain damages and an order against Coup to stop its activity of rental free-floating of scooters.
With a strong client base of French companies with a worldwide footprint and large domestic SMEs, Baker McKenzie has significant expertise in advising high-profile clients on dawn raids and investigations. It is experienced in global merger control matters, competition litigation and compliance, and follow-on actions. Recent notable work includes acting on a number of complex competition matters in the French overseas territory of Réunion. Additionally, the firm has a Global Dawn Raid App providing guidance on antitrust investigations to clients in 44 jurisdictions and an IT Forensics team which is able to conduct searches on huge volumes of data. Practice leader Léna Sersiron has expertise in investigations and subsequent litigation at both an EU and national level. Senior associate Romain Travade is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Léna Sersiron is very talented. The work provided is irreproachable and of high quality.‘
‘Romain Travade rigorous, imaginative in the solutions proposed, and exceptionally friendly.‘
‘We have used the services of Baker McKenzie’s European Law, Competition and Distribution team on several occasions over the past two years. In particular we have been impressed each time by the quality of the services provided.’
‘Composed of lawyers with great expertise, Baker McKenzie always demonstrates pragmatism, responsiveness, and proactivity in proposing solutions. They are excellent communicators and naturally understand the needs of their clients.’
‘A close-knit team, which is united, always available, and on the move. A lot of work on the files to consider all the options and make proposals.’
‘Léna Sersiron is very proactive and with a high-level strategic vision. Very pronounced knowledge of her area of expertise both on the merits and on the form, it gives a strong reassurance on the course of the procedure. As a client, it gives me complete confidence in the direction of the case.’
‘Romain Travade is an expert in his field of activity. He brings an extremely important level of tactical analysis. Calm and methodical, he has the qualities necessary to be in charge in the future.’
‘The team is strong, well balanced and extremely responsive. They have a good combination of legal expertise, practical business advice and technical competencies (such as IT-related issues that are critical in competition law matters).‘
‘Overall, the team is quite balanced and different talents are being brought together for the benefit of the client. Special mentions to Lena Sersiron, who has strong decision-making and clear advice skills, and Romain Travade, who provides excellent advice on processes and mapping scenarios.’
‘Baker McKenzie’s competition team operates very smoothly: you immediately perceive the quality of the collaboration. The team has overall an exceptional work capacity, a rigorous methodology, as well as a rich history.’
‘The permanent and fluid functioning in pairs between Léna Sersiron and Romain Travade is extremely valuable, especially given the excellent level of expertise of Romain, the most “junior” of the two.’
‘Léna Sersiron not only has first-rate expertise in competition law but also shows a great ability to anticipate the next steps in cases, to be extremely responsive, and efficient at key moments.’
‘Romain Travade has in-depth knowledge of competition law and shows great inventiveness.’
‘The team is very responsive, competent and pragmatic. I appreciate their availability and the relevance of their advice.’
‘Léna Sersiron is remarkable in her position of partner and reference contact with the client. She proves to be exceptional in moments of crisis, both in substance and in form.’
‘Romain Travade provides very good advice and excellent in legal analysis. He is particularly rigorous and conscientious.’
Mutualité de la Réunion
- Advised Lidl on its strategic acquisition of 33 Casino stores in France.
- Advised Daunat following an investigation conducted by the French Competition Authority.
- Acted for TDF in appealing against a fine issued by the French Competition Authority.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton acts for high-profile French and international clients regarding complex merger control matters, as well as cartel and abuse of dominance investigations. The team is also highly experienced representing clients in litigation both at the French and EU level, as well as state aid matters relating to the Covid-19 pandemic. Furthermore, it has developed its own AI technology to conduct data privacy reviews and draws on a support team located in Brussels. Frédéric de Bure is experienced in antitrust litigation and investigations; Séverine Schrameck is particularly strong in multi-jurisdictional matters related to merger control; François-Charles Laprévote and Antoine Winckler are both experienced partners in the Brussels office.
Frédéric de Bure; Séverine Schrameck; François-Charles Laprévote; Antoine Winckler
‘A very good team of competition law attorneys!’
Saint Louis Sucre
- Represented Alstom before the European Commission and multiple other antitrust agencies in its proposed acquisition of Bombardier Transportation.
- Represented Google in two major abuse of dominance investigations before the French Competition Authority in the Amadeus and Gibmedia matters.
- Advised Elsan in connection with the acquisition of the Groupe Hexagone Santé Méditerannée. The transaction was cleared following a Phase 2 investigation in France.
Dechert LLP is particularly experienced in advising clients in the pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors on dawn raids and antitrust litigation, including private enforcement actions. The team also frequently handles merger control cases involving multiple jurisdictions. Mélanie Thill-Tayara is an expert in merger control cases and abuse of dominance litigation in the life sciences space, while Laurence Bary is experienced in competition matters in the aerospace, defence, and technology sectors. Senior associate Marion Provost is also a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
Laurence Bary; Marion Provost
‘Truly innovative and creative. Excellent strategic advice and a deep bench of talent. ’
‘The Parisian team of Dechert LLP, European law, competition and distribution, is headed by Mélanie Thill Tayara. In my experience, Mélanie is a leading lawyer in this sector on the Parisian market. Extremely competent, she and her team provide exceptional quality legal services. The responsiveness is total. The implication too. Advice is sound and relevant. Mélanie has a strategic vision of cases and, in litigation cases, is able to integrate from the outset a vision for integrating the remedies, especially before the Court of Cassation.’
‘Melanie Thill-Tayara is an outstanding partner with great knowledge of EU competition law and very business oriented. They deliver exactly what is needed for the client.’
Deutsche Bahn AG
- Acting for Deutsche Bahn AG in a case currently pending before the Paris Court of Appeal.
- Represented Roche in a case before the French Competition Authority relating to an alleged abuse of collective dominance with Novartis concerning the “off label use” of Roche’s drug Avastin in the ophtalmic field where Novartis markets blockbuster Lucentis.
- Assisted ArianeGroup in the context of the appeal filed before the EU General Court by Italian space launcher manufacturer Avio, which sought to challenge the European Commission’s 2016 merger control decision granting conditional approval to the acquisition of Arianespace by Airbus Safran Launchers (now ArianeGroup).
Grall & Associés is a boutique team that specialises primarily in competition and distribution law, frequently acting on merger control matters, cartel and abuse of dominance cases, and cross-border compliance and investigations. The team is also experienced in follow-on litigation and state aid in the digital and retail sectors, as well as competition matters in French overseas territories. Practice head Charles-Henri Calla leads on prominent merger control and antitrust litigation cases; co-manager and co-founder Jean-Christophe Grall is a key contact, as is Thomas Lamy who advises on cartel and dawn raids. Senior associate Patrice Boulkeroua is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Jean-Christophe Grall; Thomas Lamy; Patrice Boulkeroua
‘Charles-Henri Calla is an excellent associate, with top level professional know how in the competition field. Good relationship with competition authorities. He understands the way of thinking of all the stake holders.’
‘I have worked mostly with Charles-Henri Calla. He is always curious and attentive looking for solutions to the matters we have worked on with no delays. He has a great sense of the French Competition law Environment.’
‘The team is constituted of accessible and humble individuals with whom you feel that you can have an open and constructive dialogue. They are sharp and flexible listeners who do not fear challenging your proper convictions or ways of attacking or dealing with a case, or vice-versa, meaning that they also show great understanding and capability to integrate the client.’
- Assisted various entities of the Lactalis group (in particular Délis) before the French Competition Authority.
- Assisted Materne (MOM group) before the French Competition Authority.
- Assisted Souchon d’Auvergne SAS (Savencia group) before the FCA.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP is known for its strong work in merger control, having recently acted on several significant, cross-border matters for clients in the transportation sector. The team is particularly strong advising both domestic and international clients in the IT, hospitality, and financial services sectors. Additionally, the group can draw on colleagues worldwide to help on multi-jurisdictional matters, and frequently represents clients in antitrust investigations and litigation before the FCA. Practice leader Eric Paroche is experienced in merger control and antitrust proceedings, while François Brunet is an expert in international cartel investigations. Senior associates Céline Verney and Victor Levy are also noted.
Other key lawyers:
François Brunet; Céline Verney; Victor Levy
With clients including leading French multinationals, Jones Day is particularly experienced in advising clients in regulated sectors such as energy, telecoms, banking, and pharmaceuticals. The team frequently acts on cross-border matters with the support of the firm’s international network in Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. It also acts on high-profile merger control and antitrust litigation at both the national and EU level. Practice head Eric Barbier de la Serre has significant experience representing clients in competition litigation before the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg. Charlotte Breuvart is based in Brussels. Counsel Eileen Lagathu is highly experienced in merger control, state aid, and distribution.
Eric Barbier de la Serre
Other key lawyers:
Eileen Lagathu; Charlotte Breuvart
‘Have had an excellent relationship with Eric de la Serre and his team. Always calm and tactful, even when faced with adversarial events.’
DHL / Deutsche Post
Ligue Nationale de Rugby
- Advising Suez on the sale of its continental Europe waste management businesses for €3bn.
- Acted as lead antitrust counsel for Pisto (specialised in the storage of petroleum products), in its proposed acquisition of Total’s stake in Trapil, the leading company for the pipeline transport of refined products (petrol, heating oil, jet fuel) in France.
- Advised the French State (through the APE) on the privatisation of the Paris airports (Aéroports de Paris).
A specialist firm in competition, regulatory and public law matters, Magenta has significant expertise in antitrust litigation, merger control for both domestic and international matters, private enforcement actions, and distribution issues. The team is renowned for its expertise in the telecoms industry and is strong in the energy and pharmaceuticals sectors. Practice head Sylvain Justier has extensive experience in antitrust litigation and follow-on claims, while Vincent Jaunet is active in the energy and telecoms sectors. Gaël Hichri is an expert on matters relating to restrictive and anticompetitive practices.
Other key lawyers:
Gaël Hichri; Vincent Jaunet
Candy Hoover Group
Deutsche Bahn Group
OPT / Vini
- Successfully acted for Inwi in a landmark abuse of dominance case against Maroc Telecom before the Moroccan regulation authority.
- Successfully assisted SFR in a procedure initiated by the FCA to assess a potential breach of SFR‘s merger commitments regarding the divestment of the complete DSL network to KOSC (wholesale operator).
- Represented Dammann Frères in the course of an ongoing antitrust procedure by the FCA related to the premium tea distribution sector (alleged vertical practices).
With experience advising leading French and international tech companies and other multinationals, Orrick Rambaud Martel has acted on several precedent-setting recent cases. The team has a broad practice spanning merger control, high-profile antitrust litigation, and investigations, as well as particular strength in follow-on damages claims, state aid, and EU regulatory matters. Practice leader Patrick Hubert is highly experienced across all areas of French and EU competition law. Marie-Laure Combet was promoted to partner in 2019 and has notable expertise in cartel investigations. Counsel Malik Idri specialises in abuse of dominant position cases with a focus on regulated sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Marie-Laure Combet; Malik Idri
‘Patrick Hubert has remarkable experience in competition law at a European and global level.’
‘Patrick Hubert has a remarkable experience in all the subjects which concern us, he is always available, very present on the files and his collaborators are always of high quality and rigour.’
‘The team’s strength is its in-depth expertise across mergers, antitrust and state aid – the team’s knowledge of French law, combined with their deep knowledge and contacts with the European Commission, means that the advice that they provide to clients is exceptionally high quality.’
‘I would definitely highlight Marie-Laure Combet as Orrick’s stand-out partner on competition matters. She has in-depth experience of all aspects of French and European competition law, and significant experience in litigation before the European courts. In particular, she excels on state aid matters, and is one of the top names in France in this area. Marie-Laure also stands out for understanding the clients’ perspective, whilst at the same time, she is able to communicate complex matters in terms that can be clearly understood by clients.’
‘Orrick’s practice in competition law is unique in that it is distinguished by the personality of Patrick Hubert, a recognized expert in competition law in Paris and Europe. Before becoming a lawyer, Patrick held the position of General Rapporteur of the Competition Authority and had a career in the public service, which gives him a unique knowledge of competition authorities that is not shared by the most of his counterparts in other firms. Through his deep and rich experience in the field and his varied professional experience, he brings innovative solutions to his clients and understands the challenges, including in terms of strategy, with which his clients are confronted.’
‘Marie-Laure Combet, a new partner in her team but who has worked with Patrick for many years, has extensive experience in competition law having worked on large-scale cases concerning cartels, abuse of a dominant position, mergers and financial aid.’
AXA REIM France
Royal Mail Group Ltd
Biogaran (Servier Group)
Chantiers de l’Atlantique
- Represented SFR in an approximately €2.8bn damage claim against Orange following the French Competition Authority fine on Orange for anti-competitive practices; the case in the Paris Commercial Court involves novel access to evidence.
- Advised Syma on obtaining interim measures during the Covid-19 crisis, via a remote hearing, and successfully defended the case in the appeal proceedings.
- Successfully represented Randstad before the French Competition Authority in relation to an investigation in the staffing sector in France – no charges were brought against the client.
Cabinet Renaudier is a boutique competition and distribution law firm, particularly well known for its expertise in distribution law and advising on distribution and franchise networks. The team is frequently active in merger control in multiple jurisdictions and often handles antitrust investigations and litigation initiated by the French and EU authorities. Strong domestic client base spanning various sectors, including retail, food and beverages, manufacturing, healthcare and pharmaceuticals, agriculture and finance. The sizeable team includes founding partner Richard Renaudier, an expert in advising retail clients on distribution matters. Karine Turbeaux, Muriel Perrier, and Marianne Le Moullec are also highly regarded.
Richard Renaudier; Karine Turbeaux; Muriel Perrier; Marianne Le Moullec
‘The Renaudier firm is a firm specialising in its field, very attentive to its clients. He has been following us for more than 15 years, so he knows our business, our needs and our issues well. In particular, this allows him to be responsive. He also demonstrates great pragmatism while maintaining unfailing legal rigor.’
‘A relationship with a Firm and above all a personal relationship with one or more of its partners and / or collaborators. This is the case with the team of the Renaudier firm I had the opportunity to work with each of the firm’s partners including Richard Renaudier, the contact is easy, each one demonstrates rigor and professionalism while being approachable both in human terms and in its legal discourse, thus facilitating exchanges and decisions which always follow sound and pragmatic advice.’
‘Proximity, availability, responsiveness, pugnacity, professionalism and pragmatism, these are the qualities of the teams at Cabinet Renaudier’
‘Perfect knowledge of the distribution sector. Excellent, both in counselling and in litigation. Richard Renaudier and Violaine Ayrole.’
‘A team concerned with knowing the needs of its client and responding to them as pragmatically and efficiently as possible’
‘Very good understanding of the company’s trades and effort to understand the specifics. Ability to interact with all layers of the company.’
‘Richard Renaudier and Marianne Le Moullec are responsive, available, and pragmatic in their advice. Their thinking is approached from an operational angle always in connection with the client’s economic activity.’
‘The firm draws its strength from its great expertise linked to its human size, which makes it possible to have very competent contacts.’
‘Our main contacts are Richard Renaudier for competition issues and also for his extensive experience in litigation and Karine Turbeaux for the contractual part, particularly in franchising.’
‘The firm takes care of a significant portion of the market research that many of the large competing firms outsource.’
‘Richard Renaudier is immediately and personally involved at all times in the progress of the files and for their presentation to the group’s leaders. He does not hesitate for a moment to travel for these meetings to his clients’ homes in the provinces. He has a perfect knowledge of the world of French cooperatives, but also of their trades of processing agricultural products and their customers.’
Oxyane (merger between Dauphinoise and Terre d’Alliances)
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC)
Coopérative U Enseigne
Kingfisher / Brico Dépôt / Castorama
- Advised the Posts and Telecommunications Office of New Caledonia (OPT-NC) in proceedings before the Competition Authority of New Caledonia and Paris Court of Appeal initiated by a new competitor which is challenging the legal monopoly of OPT-NC and alleging abuse of a dominant position (including the interim measures request from the complaining party).
- Advised Dauphinoise and Terre d’Alliances on the merger control at the French Competition Authority of the merger of these two agricultural cooperatives, including the negotiation of commitments to obtain the clearance of the Authority in phase I.
- Acted for Fleury Michon in a case concerning alleged participation in anticompetitive practices where the client has been investigated and fined by the French Competition Authority. An appeal before the Paris Court of Appeal is on-going.
The team at Viguié Schmidt & Associés has a notable strength in antitrust investigations and subsequent litigation. Additionally, it is frequently involved in high-profile domestic cartel cases and handles merger controls. In recent years it is increasingly active in follow-on damages claims for leading companies based in France in sectors including media, pharmaceuticals, and food and beverages. Practice heads Iñaki Saint-Esteben and Virginie Viallard are both experienced in cartel and abuse of dominance cases before the FCA and EU Commission, as well as multi-jurisdictional merger control cases.
Iñaki Saint-Esteben; Virginie Viallard
Faurecia / Parrot
Johnson & Johnson Santé Beauté France
Domino’s Pizza France
- Advised Valade in the context of the investigation led by the FCA regarding an alleged anticompetitive agreement between producers of processed fruits packaged in cups and pouches and of the appeal against the FCA’s decision.
- Assisted Caisse des dépôts et consignations in the context of the acquisition by Caisse des dépôts et consignations and Total of joint control of photovoltaic plants and wind farms in France.
- Assisted Epsys in the context of the acquisition of Groupe Cahors which specialised in the manufacture of low voltage equipment.
With a broad practice covering all aspects of EU and competition law, White & Case LLP is active in high-profile merger control matters, including a recent phase II case. In recent years the team has seen an increase in cross-border work, both in merger control matters involving filing in multiple jurisdictions and cartel and abuse of dominance cases with an international element. It is also highly active in state aid mandates stemming from the coronavirus crisis. Practice leader Yann Utzschneider is an expert in complex litigation and leniency proceedings. Counsel Mickaël Rivollier is experienced in investigations and proceedings relating to abusive commercial practices, while fellow counsel Estelle Jégou focuses on competition litigation, merger control, and distribution matters. The team was further strengthened by the arrival of new partner Jérémie Marthan, who has particular expertise in competition matters in the energy, finance and media sectors, from Linklaters in January 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Mickaël Rivollier; Estelle Jégou; Jérémie Marthan
‘We have worked with the White & Case competition law practice in Paris (partner Yann Utzschneider, counsel Estelle Jégou, and a team of associates and paralegals). We are impressed with the profound expertise of EU and French competition law, the responsiveness and approachability of all team members, their diligence and willingness to pursue new avenues, their good understanding of our industry and the market, their case management and their initiative.’
‘Yann Utzschneider has vast expertise in EU and competition law and has provided invaluable legal and strategic advice on our case. He is a powerful speaker before the authorities and in public and has excellent connections to public authorities and academia. Estelle Jégou is very proactive, responsive and thorough, with an impressive knowledge of relevant case-law. The entire team has consistently been fully committed to our case and agreeable to work with.’
Nestlé / Nespresso
Coopération Pharmaceutique Française (Cooper)
Federation Bancaire Française
- Successfully represented Air Austral following a formal investigation in the commercial airline industry, launched in 2018 by the French Competition Authority.
- Advising several major French companies on state aids issues in the context of the implementation of term loan facilities guaranteed by the French state and granted in the context of the coronavirus crisis.
- Successfully represented Intermarché in connection with a dispute initiated by the French Ministry of the Economy in 2009 against nine major retailers regarding alleged abusive clauses towards suppliers.
The varied practice at Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP advises across all areas of EU and competition law for domestic clients, and in recent years has gained prestigious new clients from the transport, finance and energy sectors. The team has developed its state aid practice significantly and recently acted on several high-profile state aid matters arising from the Covid-19 pandemic. With a strong track record in complex merger control at French and EU level, and in antitrust matters and investigations, the team is also experienced in follow-on litigation. Practice leader Faustine Viala is highly experienced in merger control, abuse of dominance and cartel cases, and state aid issues.
‘This team works in multifiling for merger control operations. It consolidates the data flows to be transmitted to other law firms in the various jurisdictions concerned by notifications.’
‘The partner in competition law is Faustine Viala. She knows the company and its activities perfectly. Very good knowledge of our problems. She always finds solutions. The employees are all of a good standard.’
‘Excellent interpersonal skills from Faustine Viala. Listening to the needs of its customers, responsive, direct and simple. Faustine takes the subjects head on and tries to find solutions relentlessly.’
‘We work regularly with Faustine Viala, whose irreproachable technical competence, creativity, availability, and vision on the subjects we appreciate. As a competition specialist, she has an excellent approach to subjects relating to the “small” competition law.’
‘Team of experts, capable of handling high-stakes competition law cases, both in merger control and anti-competitive practices, with the same quality and finesse of analysis, capable of offering pragmatic solutions and adapted to the specificities of the sector.’
‘Faustine Viala is an excellent lawyer, a true expert in her field, with a good and quick understanding of the issues, and able to simplify complex subjects. She is very involved in cases, shows anticipation and offers solutions adapted to the reality of the business.’
‘The Willkie Farr & Gallagher antitrust team has a great capacity to work, and is extremely responsive on all matters surrounding it. The team quickly and well solves the problems that come to it.’
‘Faustine Viala is always relevant in her remarks and observations. She has great technical qualities and a very good commercial sense. Highly responsive, Faustine is always available.’
‘The team has a good knowledge of the stakeholders of the French competition authority. The team analyses the client’s arguments well and knows how to transcribe them to the Competition Authority.’
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC)
Kuehne + Nagel
IK Investment Partners
CVC Capital Partners
Crédit Mutuel Arkéa
- Advised Air France-KLM Group and Air France on securing funding of €7bn to help overcome the Covid-19 crisis.
- Advised CMA CGM on its binding agreement with China Merchants Port (CMP) to sell a portfolio of ten port terminals to Terminal Link.
- Acted for Kuehne + Nagel before the Paris Court of Appeal and the French Supreme Court in the context of an appeal of a French Competition Authority decision which fined 20 delivery service companies for coordinating the annual price increases which they charged to their respective clients.
Well known for its strength in distribution matters, Altana has established itself as a key adviser on contracts and for litigation relating to selective distribution networks. Team members are particularly experienced in competition matters in the insurance and construction sectors, as well as acting on significant (often multi-jurisdictional) merger control matters and antitrust litigation. Jean-Philippe Thibault has extensive experience advising international clients and is currently head of the firm’s Japanese desk. Frédéric Manin is highly regarded, and Marie Hindré works primarily for clients in the energy sector.
Jean-Philippe Thibault; Frédéric Manin; Marie Hindré
AG2R LA MONDIALE
Macif – aesio
UGI Corporation/Antargaz Finagaz
- Advised the German food distributor Aldi on the €735m acquisition of 567 Leader Price stores in France from Casino, as well as three warehouses.
- Advised on the merger control aspects of a transaction on behalf of MACIF — AESIO which has led to the creation of one of the largest French insurance groups.
- Assisted Sopra Steria in various competition matters.
AYACHE has established itself as a strong merger control practice for a diverse client base, handling both domestic and multi-jurisdictional matters for French and international clients, including a number of private equity funds. The team is also highly experienced in competition litigation before the FCA, as well as follow-on actions. Practice head Frédéric Fuchs is highly experienced in merger control and competition matters at both the French and European level. Counsel Sébastien Dominguez is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Unbelievably responsive and engaged.’
‘Frédéric Fuchs is very pragmatic and synthetic. He has a real talent for simplifying and resolving the most complex situations. Frédéric Fuchs and his team are very available and responsive.’
‘Very efficient and very available team.’
Intermediate Capital Group (ICG)
Groupe La Dépêche du Midi (GLDM)
Syndicat National de l’Edition (SNE)
Laiterie Saint-Denis de l’Hôtel (LSDH)
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP acts for large French multinational companies, particularly in the media and telecoms sectors, but also luxury goods, food and infrastructure. It has extensive experience in both domestic and cross-border complex merger control matters, as well as high-profile cartel and abuse of dominance investigations and litigation. Additionally, it frequently advises on state aid and distribution matters. Practice head Julie Catala Marty joined from Franklin in April 2020, alongside counsel Rémi Beydon and senior associates Victor Barruol and Laura Doumoulakis.
Julie Catala Marty
Other key lawyers:
Rémi Beydon; Victor Barruol; Laura Doumoulakis
Based in offices in Paris and Lyon, CMS has a broad practice covering merger control, competition litigation, state aid, distribution law and EU regulatory matters. Its specialist areas of expertise include foreign investment control proceedings and merger control and competition litigation in Africa. Operating out of Paris, Nathalie Pétrignet advises on distribution matters; Claire Vannini is a specialist in EU law and state aid. Denis Redon is another key Paris contact. Olivier Leroy is a key contact in Lyon, as is counsel Virginie Coursière-Pluntz, who has specific expertise in competition matters in sub-Saharan Africa.
Other key lawyers:
Nathalie Péwtrignet; Claire Vannini; Denis Redon; Olivier Leroy; Virginie Coursière-Pluntze
‘The CMS European law and competition team has a very wide and original range of talents compared to a traditional competition law team, in particular a very great experience in state aid law and in litigation under European law. – which is quite rare at this level.’
‘Claire Vannini is a partner who knows her subjects perfectly; she is able to make very creative proposals thanks to her multidisciplinary approach. Brilliant, she knows her files inside out, does not allow details to escape her. She is able to adapt to the needs of her clients.’
‘Team that has served our company for a very long time who knows perfectly our needs, particularly in commercial law and the marketing of our products (regulated or not). Quick pragmatic responses for everyday subjects and also carrying out well-argued studies and analyses for discussion with customers Appropriate regulatory watch’
‘Nathalie Pétrignet quickly responds to questions relating to commercial relations (particularly large-scale distribution) providing solutions for entering into or concluding negotiations with clients or reacting to possible pre-litigation. Great knowledge in this area. Important external contacts with appropriate feedback and communication to us. Easy contact.’
Banque Fédérative du Crédit Mutuel (BFCM)
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC)
DLA Piper is well known for acting on behalf of major French and international clients on merger control, handling complex, cross-border matters as well as a high volume of domestic work. The team also has extensive experience in the growing area of foreign direct investment control procedures. Additionally, it is expanding its practice to handle competition investigations and litigation, particularly in the digital sector. Practice head Edouard Sarrazin is a key contact. Counsel Céline Espesson joined from the French Competition Authority in December 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
Groupe Louis Wane
The Carlyle Group
- Advised Criteo regarding its complaint against Facebook in front of the FCA.
- Advised Michelin and Faurecia on obtaining the required merger clearances for the creation of a joint venture which is tasked with developing, producing and marketing hydrogen fuel cell systems for light vehicles, commercial vehicles and trucks as well as for other areas of electromobility.
- Advised Cube Infrastructure Managers and Partners Group on the merger control aspects of the sale of Covage (owned 50/50) to Altice.
The boutique competition law firm Fréget & Associés is focused on litigation, covering cartel and abuse of dominance cases and private enforcement actions for clients in the energy, TMT and life sciences sectors. The team is experienced in appearing before the French and EU authorities. In recent years it has expanded the practice to advice on cross-border matters and handle merger control cases. Practice head Olivier Fréget has a strong reputation for competition litigation, particularly in the technology and life sciences sectors. Liliana Eskenazi focuses on EU law matters, with expertise in regulated sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Liliana Eskenazi; Antoine Labaeye
TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE
ILIAD (Free / Free Mobile / Iliad Italia)
JOHNSON & JOHNSON
GROUPE CANAL PLUS
LEEM (Pharma association)
JACOB DOUWE EGBERTS
- Advised Total Direct Energie on a dispute before the Paris commercial court concerning the activation of the hardship clause (force majeure) in EDF’s nuclear power access contracts due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Representing Iliad and Free in their challenge before the Conseil d’Etat against the French Competition Authority (FCA)’s merger control decision to conditionally authorise the creation of JV Salto between TF1, M6 and France Télévisions.
- Representing racehorse betting company Pari mutuel urbain before the Paris Court of appeal in its challenge against the €0.9m fine imposed by the French competition authority for breaching a 2014 commitment to separate online and offline bets.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP has significant experience in merger control matters, with particular expertise in Africa. The team has recently acted on significant domestic public M&A deals and has continued to develop its practice in competition investigations and advising on state aid issues. The group has recently developed a crisis prevention and management app to assist clients in case of an event such as a dawn raid. Practice head Sergio Sorinas is highly experienced in complex merger control matters at French and EU level. Counsel Marie Louvet is a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very competent, efficient, and professional.’
Groupe Up (ex “Chèque Déjeuner”)
- Advised Altran Technologies on the notification to the European Commission and other jurisdictions of the friendly takeover by Capgemini.
- Advised Cellnex Telecom on the merger control aspects of several new development projects.
- Advised Crédit Mutuel and a number of its subsidiaries in connection with (i) merger control aspects of acquisition projects as well as (ii) competition law issues and litigation proceedings before the French Competition Authority.
The sizeable and broad practice at Jeantet is strong in competition litigation before the FCA and the European Commission, and regularly handles cartel and abuse of dominance investigations, merger control cases, and distribution and consumer law. In recent years the team has been increasingly active in private enforcement actions and unfair competition cases for clients in regulated sectors such as telecoms, energy and transport. Loraine Donnedieu de Vabres-Tranié has extensive experience in high-profile litigation. Compliance specialist Thomas Picot advises clients in the transport, utilities and social housing sectors, while Florent Prunet focuses on energy and telecoms sectors.
Loraine Donnedieu de Vabres-Tranié
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Picot; Florent Prunet; Julia Bombardier
‘Great competence and availability.’
‘Florent Prunet, who knows the context well and assists us from the start. Florent’s work was highly effective!’
‘We work with Loraine Donnedieu de Vabres-Tranié and Florent Vever. On heavy litigation files in competition law. This team is distinguished by the excellence of the preparation of arguments and the practice of advocacy.’
‘Loraine Donnedieu de Vabres-Tranié and Florent Vever form a unique team. Florent very meticulous and sharp in the development of arguments, and Lorraine, with her mastery of public speaking and an unparalleled force of conviction.’
‘This team is particularly attentive and open to understanding the activity of the company it advises and its possibilities for development, in order to advise it in the most effective and creative way possible.’
‘This team, beyond its great competence, is at the same time very attentive, rigorous and creative, while keeping a simplicity of approach.’
With notable experience in antitrust litigation in French overseas territories, the team at Mayer Brown has particular expertise in cartel cases and assisting clients with dawn raids. It also regularly handles complex merger control matters in highly regulated sectors. Practice head Natalie Jalabert-Doury is experienced in complex mergers and dawn raids, as well as competition matters in New Caledonia and French Polynesia. Counsel Jean-Maxime Blutel also is a key contact.
Nathalie Jalabert Doury
Other key lawyers:
‘Good knowledge about national and EU-wide competition law and the different forms of dawn raids. Very pragmatic and straightforward approach.’
‘Nathalie Jalabert Doury is a very knowledgeable lawyer with a very pragmatic working approach. Very available and engaged. ’
‘Nathalie Jalabert Doury is efficient and competent. She responds with pragmatism and transparency. Jean-Maxime Blutel is always attentive and has an impressive availability and responsiveness.’
ITM Entreprises / Les Mousquetaires
La Française des Jeux
Eurovia / Vinci
European Federation of Retail Perfumers
France Cargo Handling
Union des Expéditeurs et Exportateurs en Fruits et Légumes
- Acted as lead counsel for ITM Entreprises / Les Mousquetaires with its longstanding French specialised distribution lawyers regarding the European Commission’s investigation into joint purchasing agreements in the retail sector.
- Assisted La Française des Jeux in the notification to the French Competition Authority (“FCA”) of its acquisition of Bimedia, a software publisher specialised in point-of-sale payment solutions.
- Assisted Société Générale in relation to the notification of the acquisition of Socalfi, a direct competitor and an important player in the New Caledonian consumer credit and leasing markets.
The varied practice at Racine frequently acts on complex state aid matters for well known domestic clients, as well as on cross-border merger control cases. The team is particularly well known for its expertise in distribution matters, including disputes in the agribusiness and mobility sectors. Practice co-head Valérie Ledoux is an expert in antitrust litigation and distribution, while practice co-head Bastien Thomas focuses on state aid and merger control matters.
Valérie Ledoux; Bastien Thomas
Other key lawyers:
‘Bastien Thomas was remarkable in this file: coordination of companies and the file, writing of dozens of versions of the notification, strategy towards the European Commission, and negotiating optimum results for clients.’
‘Valérie Ledoux is a brilliant lawyer with always relevant advice.’
‘Bastien Thomas, competition partner, is available, attentive and responsive.’
‘Unparalleled ability to intervene in commercial disputes. Expertise on all aspects of a commercial dispute. Great availability. Exceptional operational understanding’
‘The Racine team quickly grasped their client’s needs and identified how to achieve the set objective. The modus operandi has been explained to the client and once agreed, things move quickly, the client must be responsive as well. Easy contact and not very formal helps to gain fluidity. Team strength: a peripheral question is dealt with immediately by teams specialising in the subject with the same fluidity.’
‘When these firms learned that Valérie Ledoux represented us, all the interlocutors were confident because of her notoriety, her professionalism, and the interpersonal skills that she regularly maintains with colleagues. A lot of things could be done with efficiency and fluidity, with the satisfaction of the other parties (customers of other colleagues).’
‘A team of excellent lawyers in all fields which allows to have on the same subject an analysis responding to all legal issues quickly.’
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET DES CONSIGNATIONS
SAFT (Total group)
- Assisted PSA Group and Saft, a company of the TOTAL group, in the state aid proceedings and merger control review of their intended creation of a joint venture.
- Acting for Reed in its litigation against the French Nautical Industries Federation (FIN) about the unilateral and sudden decision to terminate the contract for the organisation of the Cannes Yachting Festival.
- Advised French tycoons Xaviel Niel (Iliad / Free, Le Monde, Eir Telecom, etc.), Mathieu Pigasse (Le Monde) and Pierre-Yves Capton on their acquisition of joint control over Mediawan to create a European leader in media.
The strong merger control practice at Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP is increasingly active advising on state aid issues, particularly assisting clients badly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic with gaining state aid approvals, as well as in antitrust litigation and investigations. In a significant recent matter, it obtained derogation to the suspensive effect of merger control from the EU Commission. Practice head Romain Ferla has particular strengths advising on high-profile merger control matters, including multi-jurisdictional matters. Counsel Flora Pitti-Ferrandi joined Vivien & Associés in January 2021.
Engie / CNR
Parquest / BPI
- Advised Novares Group in relation on the state aid notification procedure initiated before the EU Commission.
- Represented Hayfin Capital in the merger control procedure before the EU commission relating to the acquisition of control over Frans Bonhomme.
- Advised Laborizon and its owners (including BPI) on the merger control procedure relating to its acquisition by its competitor Biogroup.
Wilhelm & Associés has a strong history in competition matters in the media and retail sectors. The team frequently represents leading domestic players and acts in a number of high-profile ongoing cases. Practice head Pascal Wilhelm regularly acts for media, distribution, and online gaming clients in merger control and litigation. Counsel Emilie Dumur is another key contact. The team is also experienced in merger control and competition litigation at both the French and European levels.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has in-depth knowledge of distribution circles, is expert in restrictive practices, and has a good knowledge of competition law.’
GROUPE CANAL +
CANAL + INTERNATIONAL
Betclic Everest Group
Groupe FNAC Darty
Zadig & Voltaire
Douglas – Nocibe
- Advised BUT (Mobilux Group) on the acquisition of Conforama France.
- Advised Banijay Group before the European Commission on its acquisition of sole control of Endemic Shine Groupe.
- Represented Groupe Canal + in its action brought before the European Commission against the EU Commission’s cross-border access to pay-TV decision relating to absolute territorial protection granted by cinema studios to pay-TV operators.
The team at Aramis is experienced in abuse of dominance and cartel investigations, as well as subsequent litigation. It also frequently handles merger control. Practice leader Aurélien Condomines leads on matters related to competition law and heads the firm’s compliance practice. Associate Pierre Galmiche is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘An extremely competent team and very alert to the operational realities of their customers.’
- Assisted Peters & Peters representing the NHS before the UK Supreme Court in relation to an indemnification claim concerning abusive behaviour by French pharma group Servier.
- Acted for Carrefour in litigation against the French Ministry for the Economy concerning a fine imposed because of non compliance with French distribution rules.
- Represented Natixis in the context of the proceedings before the French competition authority that led to the highest fine of 2019; the decision is currently being appealed.
The boutique competition and distribution law team at Borrel Avocats is highly active in litigation relating to restrictive practices, abuse of dominance and anti-competitive agreements, as well as investigations conducted by the FCA and European Commission. It is also experienced in advising on distribution contracts and establishing distribution networks Practice leader Laurence Borrel-Prat is very experienced in litigation and highly regarded by her clients. Associate Quitterie d’Arche is also a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘A high-quality boutique law firm, with very strong momentum, particularly in commercial and distribution litigation.’
‘The Borrel firm is a niche firm, a team of very great specialists. It is haute couture. It is led by the exceptional Laurence Borrel who is recognised as much for her very fine knowledge of competition law and its ecosystem as for her passionate personality.’
‘Laurence Borrel-Prat has an excellent knowledge of the law and of the competition law ecosystem. She knows the inner workings and important personalities perfectly. She takes the files head on and manages to find the loophole. She also has an ability to think “outside the box” with innovative ideas.’
Coutrelis & Associés
FIDAL's practice was further bolstered by the arrival of Jean-Louis Fourgoux and Leyla Djavadi, well known for distribution and competition litigation expertise respectively, from boutique Fourgoux-Djavadi & Associés in February 2020. The sizeable team, which operates from offices in Paris, Lille, Orleans, Rennes and Lyon, as well as Brussels, is experienced in distribution law, as well as merger control, competition litigation (and increasingly active in follow-on damages claims) and state aid matters. Philippe Vanni heads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Alexandre Lacresse; Guillaume Pezzali; Jean-Louis Fourgoux; Leyla Djavadi; Marie Koehler de Montblanc; Frédéric Puel
Association France Lots Organisation (“FLO”)
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC)
Centrale Européenne de Distributioin (CEDIS)
CFPR (Roullier Group)
Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte
Fédération des Entreprises et Entrepreneurs de France (FEEF)
Gastronome (Terrana Group)
La Coopération Agricole (ex-Coop de France)
PERRIGO / OMEGA PHARMA
- Advised Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC) and Arpavie on a merger notification process before the French Competition Authority.
- Acted for Reckit Benckiser in a damages claim brought before the French courts following a decision of the French Competition Authority.
- Successfully advised CFPR (Roullier group) in a competition procedure before the French Competition Authority.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
HWH Avocats frequently acts for French and international clients on a range of competition and distribution matters, and is particularly experienced in acting for the French affiliates of German companies. The team is mainly focused on antitrust investigations and litigation, but also handles some significant merger control and distribution matters. Practice head Dominique Heintz is a key contact, as is associate Maria Bagate.
Other key lawyers:
- Represented a food distributor, which is the main cash and carry wholesaler in France, in its joint ventures with two major actors in the food retail market which is subject to a current general sector-related inquiry but also a specific investigation of these joint ventures from the French Competition Authority (FCA).
Joffe & Associés is a strong merger control practice, able to advise on cross-border matters, particularly for private equity firms. The team has handled abuse of dominance and cartel investigations and related litigation, as well as distribution matters. In recent years it has been increasingly involved in follow-on damages claims. Practice head Olivier Cavézian is experienced in acting for major domestic and international clients.
- Obtained antitrust damages for 10Médias before the Paris Commercial Court against a major sports newspaper further to the French Competition’s decision sanctioning the latter for abusing its dominant position.
Osborne Clarke acts in merger control cases for leading international clients. Members of the team are experienced in abuse of dominance and cartel investigations and litigation, as well as follow-on damages claims. In recent years, it has developed a following among clients from the tech sector. Practice head Alexandre Glatz is a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Osborne Clarke team are extremely available and responsive. It has a wide spectrum of intervention (State Aid, Merger, Antitrust, follow on). The team is also very well established geographically, particularly in France, Germany and the United Kingdom.’
‘Alexandre Glatz is very experienced in all areas of competition law. The Osborne Clarke network is very comprehensive in Europe. Alexandre Glatz is very experienced, very available and very constructive.’
Paul Hastings LLP
The team at Paul Hastings LLP is strong for merger control, but also covers abuse of dominance and cartel cases and follow-on actions, and is increasingly active in state aid work. Practice co-head Pierre Kirch divides his time between the firm's Paris and Brussels offices, while co-head Camille Paulhac joined from Allen & Overy LLP in March 2020 and brings additional expertise in multi-jurisdictional competition law matters.
Pierre Kirch; Camille Paulhac
‘Camille Paulhac is a a young promising partner, efficient, pragmatic, and easy-going.’
‘Very good communication with the client; organised and rigorous.’
‘Camille Paulhac is professional, calm, and pragmatic.’
‘Advanced skills in these areas are availability and responsiveness.’
‘We have a lasting relationship of trust with Camille Paulhac after the quality of advice given.’
Dole Food Company
Reed Smith is historically strong in litigation and has key clients in the industrial, agriculture, pharmaceuticals and digital technology sectors. The team is also experienced in cartel and abuse of dominance cases, private enforcement actions, and all relevant cross-border matters. Practice heads Marc Lévy focuses on antitrust litigation, while Natasha Tardif is also a key contact.
Marc Lévy; Natasha Tardif
Simmons & Simmons
The varied practice at Simmons & Simmons frequently covers merger control, competition litigation, and distribution matters and disputes. The team has a particular strength in competition matters in the life sciences sector and has significant experience acting for pharmaceutical and medical devices clients. Other sectors of expertise include FMCG, e-commerce, and energy. Practice head Ombline Ancelin leads on matters for major international clients. Supervising associate Florent Barbu provides additional support.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ombline Ancelin is one of our trusted advisers on competition (anticompetitive agreements and merger control in particular) and commercial matters as well as on foreign investment screening regimes and in particular French FDI filings to the French Treasury office. Ombline is truly an expert and she delivers pragmatic, business oriented advice and we also appreciate her team’s reactivity and constant availability.’
‘Ombline Ancelin is very close to the customer by anticipating needs and very proactive. Very good rate in terms of billing.’
‘Ombline Ancelin is our key adviser on pharma matters involving competition law and distribution. Ombline is very well connected to public and private stakeholders, has great legal knowledge and business understanding. Accordingly, her advice is most valuable and most appreciated. Ombline is always reachable and available on short notice. We can highly recommend Ombline.’
- Acted for UPSA in challenging decisions of the French Health authorities and drug pricing committee in connection with the market authorisation delivered to a competing product manufactured by a generic company.
- Represented a major food supplier in defending a complaint for unfair competition and misleading practices launched by the French association of meat producers in relation to vegetal products
Alexandra Berg-Moussa; Renaud Christol; Mahasti Razavi; Florence Chafiol
‘August Debouzy is made up of a high-performance team, full of experience and provides us with sound advice in cases that are unprecedented in the company.‘
‘They are close to their customers, very knowledgeable in their various areas, very reactive, their diversity makes their strength.’
‘I have worked with August and Debouzy’s teams for over 20 years. We have build strong relationship throughout the years making our partnership stronger and most effective.’
‘Alexandra Berg-Moussa and Florence Chafiol provide really good advice and are available when needed.’
‘Team is great with distribution related issues. Very pragmatic and reactive. Alexandra Berg-Moussa is an excellent lawyer, very pragmatic, and business-oriented.’
‘We have worked with August for over 8 years. They are exceptionally well-versed in the subject areas we work with them on, which covers all facets of retail supply and distribution.’
Riccobono Presse Investissement
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
- Advised the Caisse des Dépôts et des Consignations, EDF, Engie,and La Poste for the implementation of a joint venture in the context of a blockchain infrastructure.
- Obtained a phase 1 clearance on behalf of Colas before the French Competition Authority for the constitution, by Colas and a recycling operator, of a joint venture which will implement a revolutionary process of producing aggregates from polluted lands.
- Assisted the Fédération Nationale de la Presse Spécialisée in the context of a litigation before the French Competition Authority against Google for abuse of dominant position.
Emmanuelle van den Broucke
‘Very good communication; good understanding of our needs.’
‘Ms. Emmanuelle van den Broucke, Partner: very good support; good coordination of her team.’
Quilvest & Partners France
Emil Frey France
Bouchard Père & Fils
Gojo (Purell Group-USA)
- Assistance to Groupe Bernard with the merger control notification in France of the acquisition of companies Tenedor and Etoile 51.
- Assistance to Quilvest & Partners France with a foreign investment authorisation to be obtained in the framework of the contemplated acquisition of Bretagne Telecom.
- Assistance Groupe Maurin with its development in Belgium in filing three notifications to the Belgian Competition Authority regarding several acquisitions of retail automotive activities.
Pierre Deprez; Jean Christophe Andre; Philippe Bonnet
- Advising M6 on a strategic merger, “Salto”, which is the creation of a full-function SVOD joint venture company between the three major TV channels in France.
Other key lawyers:
Xavier Lacaze; Bertrand Potot; Romain Bourgade
INTERNATIONAL CHEMICAL INESTORS FRANCE
SAFRAN ELECTRONICS & DEFENSE
- Assisted ACTIS in the context of a misleading advertising action and violation of the rules on comparative advertising launched by the Mineral Wool Producers’ Union (FILMM).
- Acting for Ressourcethica, the leading promoter and distributer of pharmaceutical and para-pharmaceutical goods in French-speaking Africa, in various competition and distribution matters.
- Acting for Kep Technologies on matters relating to distribution law.
‘Lead by Dan Roskis, this team has developed a deep understanding of our business and the challenges and objectives we face. They apply their legal counsel in a practical way that helps support our goals. The team cares about our business and our people.‘
‘This team is very flexible and willing to assist with different projects in different ways, including billing structure as well as staffing, budgets and how they interact with my internal team at the company.‘
‘I have worked with Dan Roskis for over a decade and he is without a doubt one of the strongest, most trusted advisors I have worked with in my career. He is an expert in competition law and knows how to explain it to all levels of business people at my company. He has assisted me in providing training to my internal business clients, with outstanding results. I value how practical he is and how deeply he understands our business and industry.‘
‘The attorneys are not only highly skilled and specialised in their areas of expertise but this expertise is coupled with excellent client care, knowledge and attention to detail in respect of the business needs of their clients.‘
‘Dan Roskis is technically excellent and shows a deep understanding not only of his specialized area of the law but also really understands his clients’ needs and goals.‘
‘Dan Roskis and his team have a very practical vision of their material which is nevertheless very technical. They have a particular sensitivity to commercial aspects as a whole and innovative in their approaches.‘
‘Dan Roskis is an excellent technician with a very good practical sense and attentive to the constraints of his customers.’
France Télévisions & France Télévisions Publicité
Anne-Laure-Hélène des Ylouses; Franck Veisse
CNCPJ (Chambre Nationale des Commissaires-Priseurs Judicaires)
Ordres de Chirurgiens Dentistes
- Advising Computacenter ion the notification to the French Competition Authority of the acquisition of BT Services.
- Assisting CME (as seller) in the framework of the notification of the acquisition of Agta Record (Switzerland) by Assa Abloy (Sweden).
- Assisting Akka in the framework of dawn-raids which were carried out by the French Competition Authority (FCA) in November 2018 on several of its premises in France.
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
Guillaume Forbin; Marco Plankensteiner; Marie Davy
‘Closeness to the customer, availability even when short notice, clarity in the advise’
‘Friendly and take the time to listen (Marco Plankensteiner).’
‘Very competent team, both in advice and in litigation, with a real global and multidisciplinary vision on major files, both on pure law and on marketing, distribution, accounting and financial issues etc. Special mention to Marco Plankensteiner for his availability, his competence, his intelligence and his overall understanding of the issues associated with cases.’
Groupe Crédit Agricole
Luxottica Group SpA
Trodat / Trotec Group
Financière Immobilière Bordelaise
Saint Louis Sucre
- Representing Crédit Agricole and its subsidiary in the proceeding relating to the check multilateral interbank fees which resulted in a +€100m fine.
- Advised a major pharmaceutical distributor in the Middle East in a €30m litigation relating to the renewal of a distribution agreement with a major French pharma manufacturer and the negotiation of the relating settlement agreement
- Advising a French manufacturer of electric heating systems on the setting up of a selective distribution network to commercialise its high-end brand through different networks and ensure high-quality services consistent with technicity, design and price of the products
Sylvain Beaumont; Anne Bourdu; Gaëlle Leroy; Pierre-Lucas Thirion
‘Lext is a boutique law firm with a strong practice in EU, competition and distribution. The team is headed by Sylvain Beaumont who has over 20 years experience in the field. The team offers advise of international standard.’
‘Sylvain Beaumont is an outstanding lawyer. He is able to deal with any matter, however complex, in a creative way. He is a seasoned litigator with experience in high profile disputes, in particular related to distribution. I always warmly recommend Syvain for both French and foreign clients.’
‘t is a very versatile team, each one has their specific specialty and therefore the answers given are very clear and detailed.’
‘Lext Avocats, in particular Sylvain Beaumont, has a high level of expertise in economic law similar to those of the major local firms.’
‘Very responsive and professional team.’
‘Sylvain Beaumont is a very technical and responsive colleague.’
‘The competition law and distribution law team benefits from a great deal of expertise on all the key issues of distributor / producer relations.’
‘Sylvain Beaumont has been a recognized specialist for many years. He always listens to each particular case and always gets to the bottom of the problem to find the best solution.’
‘Very high responsiveness of the team always looking for pragmatic and innovative solutions in the interest of the client: efficient and constructive.’
Marie de Drouas
‘Very good value for money for Marie de Drouas’ work in merger control’
‘Marie de Drouas : effective and to the point’
‘Very competent, pragmatic, diligent team.’
‘Work mainly with Marie de Drouas: very attentive, adapting to our constraints to always be a driving force to advance transactions.’
Focus Home Interactive
AOTA (Association of Alternative Telecommunications Operators)
Caisse des dépôts et consignations (CDC)
- Assisting the Association of Alternative Telecommunications Operators in an antitrust proceeding against Orange before the French Competition Authority in the fibre optic sector.
- Representing Focus Home Interactive in an antitrust proceeding regarding video games before the European Commission.
- Representing Carrefour in a case before the Court of Appeal in a dispute with Vania relating to follow-on damages litigation.
‘Available and dynamic experts, at the forefront of their respective specificities’
‘Highly operational practice knows how to give pragmatic answers and in line with expectations always available and respond on time’
‘Mélanie Comert is an outstanding specialist in distribution law and restrictive competition practices, with an excellent understanding of business issues and a very pragmatic approach to cases.’
‘It is very pleasant to work with the Competition Law & Distribution team of Cabinet Osmose due to their responsiveness, availability and expertise.’
‘A team of professionals available, responsive, able to forge links with its clients over the long term and to support them on major issues.’
‘An incredibly efficient team, attentive to the needs of society, responsive, business oriented, always quick to assist you whatever the emergency.’
‘An agile firm that knows how to adapt easily to the demands of today’s legal and business world.’
‘A special mention for Mélanie Comert, an excellent lawyer, strong business partner for companies whose challenges she understood excellently.’
‘Very good knowledge of the practices of mass distribution, distribution and business sector. The law is really put in the sense of business.’
‘Great availability, pragmatism, technical knowledge in both law and business.’
‘A real ability to find balanced solutions with our customers. Excellent knowledge of the profession,’
‘Always on the lookout for innovative solutions allowing the company to go in the right direction.’
Danone Produits Frais France
Danone Eaux France
Nutricia Nutrition Clinique
Coca-Cola European Partners
Bel Group (La Vache Qui Rit, Babybel, etc.)
Evelyne Friedel; Grégoire Toulouse
WL Gore & Associates
- Assisting AXA with the drafting of master service agreements, and negotiation with its major clients and suppliers.
- Assisting Europcar International in the development of its international franchise network worldwide, which includes advice on franchise agreements.
- Advising Deutz Group on the notification of a joint venture with Sany Group.