A high-profile client base, made of top French and international companies or their executives, turns to Bredin Prat for its most sensitive cases in relation to various matters: corruption, bribery, embezzlement, market abuse allegations, criminal employment law and environmental law issues. The practice is in charge of many of France’s most outstanding current white-collar crime cases. It notably defends banks and leading corporations in high-stakes tax money laundering cases. Practice head Eric Dezeuze is one of the country's top white-collar crime lawyers. Also recommended is Guillaume Pellegrin.
Dispute resolution: White-collar crime in France
Other key lawyers:
‘Eric Dezeuze is a great professional who is respected by the entire profession and whose competence is recognised by magistrates. His loyal lieutenant Guillaume Pellegrin is astute, available and is also enjoying real renown in the small French world of business criminal law. The junior lawyers are also of an excellent level.’
- Assisting different entities of the Uber group operating in France with several white-collar criminal cases.
- Advised Google on a €500m public interest judicial agreement.
- Advising Altran’s former deputy CEO on the question of the French State initiating a criminal proceeding before a criminal court in parallel with another action before the administrative authority in charge of financial regulation.
Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier receives instructions from many of France’s largest companies to assist with their most sensitive matters, leading to one of the market’s most prominent caseloads. The practice is involved in several of the country's most most high-profile tax money laundering cases. While its caseload is extremely diverse, the practice handles a large amount of work in connection with the public sector, notably in relation to public procurements. It also acts for several former elected politicians as well as former CEOs of public sector companies. High-profile investigations dealing with serious human rights violations and several highly sensitive international corruption files dealing with investigations led by foreign authorities are also visible in the caseload. Practice head Christophe Ingrain is highly regarded and ably supported by counsel Rémi Lorrain. Firm founding partner and one France’s most regarded advisers Jean-Michel Darrois also contributes.
‘Christophe Ingrain and Rémi Lorrain are extremely skilled lawyers, both technically and strategically speaking. Their approach is undoubtedly one of the most best on the market in business criminal law.’
‘A great team of business criminal law within a historic Parisian firm.’
‘Christophe Ingrain is a very great lawyer and Remi Lorrain is an accomplished lawyer who identifies the right solution in law to resolve complex cases.’
‘A young, motivated and competent team led by a former magistrate.’
‘Maître Christophe Ingrain provides his valuable experience as a former magistrate.’
‘Christophe Ingrain is attentive, excellent in every way; he remains humble and human. In addition to his undeniable ethical qualities, he also has a rather rare mastery of the law. It’s a pleasure to work with him. Remi Lorrain is well known; he is an inventive technician. The rest of the team (Paul Mallet, Xavier Phillips and Tristan Gauthier) is also made up of excellent lawyers, as accessible and pleasant in the relationship as they are rigorous and professional.’
‘The Darrois Villey team demonstrates exceptional listening skills which lead to a relevant, aggressive and perfectly structured defense strategy.’
‘In-depth expertise in business criminal law and criminal procedure.’
‘ Technical skill. Strong capacity for work and analysis.’
LafargeHolcim & Lafarge SA
International Olympic Committee
La Banque Postale
Michèle Alliot Marie
- Assisting UBS’ board of directors in appealing the decision of the Paris Court that found UBS guilty of illegally soliciting clients and laundering the proceeds of tax evasion.
- Representing LafargeHolcim and Lafarge SA in a criminal investigation launched for complicity of crimes against humanity, financing of terrorist enterprises and the endangering of lives regarding the Syrian activities of the construction group.
- Representing the International Olympic Committee in two judicial investigations related to corruption and money laundering regarding the award of the Olympic Games in Rio and Tokyo, and the doping in the Russian Athletic Federation.
TEMIME is one of the most France's most renowned criminal law boutiques. The firm offers a deep bench of dedicated criminal lawyers who also have international experience. The practice is retained by high-profile individuals and companies to handle complex and high-stakes cases of various types, including appeal proceedings in tax evasion matters, and fraud cases. Hervé Temime needs no introduction and ranks among the most recognised pénalistes in the country. Also recommended are Corinne Dreyfus-Schmidt, Julia Minkowski, Martin Reynaud and Léon del Forno. Olinka Malaterre, who is in charge of the firm’s Marseille antenna, made partner in January 2020.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP team consists of a deep bench of specialists who are able to cover high-level criminal, financial, regulatory and commercial expertise which makes the practice particularly suited to complex hybrid cases. The group notably excels at defending leading banks and financial institutions in dealing with their most challenging cases, for example defending UBS AG against a tax evasion condemnation before the Court of Appeal, one of France's most high-profile cases ever. The team’s caseload is very diverse and goes beyond the financial world: spanning insider dealing case, fraud, market abuses, corruption, money laundering, industrial, employment law and art-related criminal files. Several high-profile French companies have chosen the firm for high-stakes tax fraud cases. The co-heads of the practice are Denis Chemla, Hippolyte Marquetty and Dan Benguigui, who made partner in May 2020 and whose expertise in handling combined complex white-collar crime and regulatory enforcement cases stands out.
‘Denis Chemla is an outstanding professional. He is always present, proactive and on top of matters. He is a pleasure to work with.’
Deutsche Bank AG
A Thai airline company
- Assisting UBS AG with an investigation led by the French criminal authorities in relation to allegations of laundering of proceeds of tax evasion.
- Representing Danske Bank in a multijurisdictional case, linked to potential offenses of money laundering of organised fraud and tax evasion proceeds.
- Assisting the former owner and director of a Thai airline company with proceedings before the Paris criminal court in relation to the crash of an aircraft in 2007.
Antonin Lévy & Associés A.A.R.P.I.
White-collar crime boutique Antonin Lévy & Associés A.A.R.P.I. is retained by leading international, US and French companies, their CEOs and executives and high-profile individuals to assist in the context of sensitive cases. The practice manages a very strong caseload, including high-profile corruption, tax fraud, industrial accidents and other fraud-related matters. The highly regarded Antonin Lévy and Ophélia Claude also assist companies with setting up compliance programmes and with compliance audits. They are also solicited to help with the conduct of internal enquiries and have experience handling investigations led by international regulatory authorities and the World Bank.
Chemarin & Limbour
Chemarin & Limbour manages a vast array of cases, dealing notably with sensitive corruption allegations and transport accidents, often acting for high-profile companies or their current or former high-ranking executives. The practice was particularly in the spotlight in 2020 when it defended Orange in a first instance trial that made headlines in a case concerning a wave of employees' suicides which occurred in the late 2000s. The firm is also experienced in assisting with high-profile investigations regarding public procurement work. Practice head Claudia Chemarin is highly regarded and supported by Matthias Guillou.
Other key lawyers:
- Representing Orange in a dispute relating to workplace harassment.
Clifford Chance defends leading French, Chinese, Swiss and other international banks in major tax fraud and money laundering cases. The practice recently assisted Bank of China with the signing of a settlement (CJIP) with the Paris Prosecutor office., and defended Airbus in landmark cross-border investigations involving the French, UK and US authorities on whose behalf it negotiated a €3.6bn settlement. The firm, which mainly handles financial and securities criminal cases, also acts in a high-profile drug product liability case for a leading pharmaceutical company. Thomas Baudesson and Charles-Henri Boeringer are in charge.
‘Small team, but extremely hardworking and able. Unflappable under fire, and always deliver to high standards with charm and efficiency.’
‘Sophie Levy, Charles-Henri Boeringer, Charles Merveilleux du Vignaux are three excellent and hardworking practitioners who bring a fine team to any investigation. Charles-Henri in particular handles all situations with his usual understated charm and efficiency.’
‘They deliver impeccable quality, regardless of the complexity of a matter. They are very well connected and have access to the right people.’
‘Charles-Henri Boeringer has extensive experience and is very quick to identify the important issues; brilliant. Thomas Baudesson is a pleasure to work with, delivers great quality and excellent project management. Associate Alice Dunoyer de Segonzac is talented, will go far.’
Bank of China
- Advising Airbus on a corruption case brought by the French enforcement authority (PNF).
- Assisting Bank of China with a criminal investigation for tax fraud money laundering.
White-collar and litigation boutique Courrégé-Foreman represents a prominent client base that includes leading companies and former high-ranking officers of major corporations. The team excels in a wide range of cases, with a strong track record of managing files relating to industrial and aviation accidents, including proceedings pertaining to a major industrial disaster in France. The practice also handles prominent international corruption, fraud and tax money laundering cases, and assists with criminal employment law accusations, such as harassment allegations. The practice is co-headed by the highly recommended Mauricia Courrégé and Simon Foreman. The promotion of Aurélie Girault to partner in 2020 and the recruitment of counsel Aloïs Blin, formerly an associate at Antès Avocats, strengthened the practice.
AEROPORTS DE PARIS
ALLIANZ GLOBAL AND CORPORATE SPECIALTY SE
GLOBAL AEROSPACE INC
LA REUNION AERIENNE
- Advising Safran Helicopter Engines on criminal and civil proceedings initiated following an engine stoppage which caused a helicopter crash in which five lives were lost.
- Representing Uber following the launch of its UberPop and UberX services in order to defend Uber drivers prosecuted for infringements of transportation law.
Delecroix Gublin Associés
White-collar crime boutique Delecroix Gublin Associés is in charge of an impressive caseload acting for prominent companies or individuals. Headed by the discreet and highly efficient Alexis Gublin, the practice receives instructions for the most sensitive French cases as well as for high-profile international corruption and money laundering cases. The highly agile team has a strong international activity, with matters involving countries in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America. The firm is involved in the Carlos Ghosn case and acted in the Orange suicides first-instance trial. The defense, aerospace and automotive industries are key sectors. Fabienne Delecroix brings her expertise in press law to the table.
‘Good and strong knowledge in dispute resolution coupled with very good interpersonal reactivity. The practice has very competent people who are articulate and have good communication skills.’
‘Alexis Gublin has very strong empathy and communication skills. He is very skillful in strategic innovation.’
‘A tailor-made service. Me Gublin is a very high-quality professional with a real culture of efficiency and results. He always shows a remarkable responsiveness and availability. He has a perfect mastery and knowledge of cases and has the ability to manage international proceedings and lead teams made up of several law firms in several countries. He is a very talented strategist and litigator.’
‘It’s a firm that offers tailor-made work. Availability is 24 hours a day. Alexis Gublin is a solution-maker: he analyses the situation, he assembles a team, and ensures the implementation of the strategy. He is for me today the only one in the world able to do this, all without stress, but with simplicity and a smile. His cabinet uses the latest technologies and encrypted means of communication.’
FTMS Avocats is a leading name for high-profile cases in the French and African political scenes. The firm defends several current and former French ministers and high-level civil servants as well as current and former Presidents and ministers of various African countries. The group has been involved in most of France's headlines cases, dealing with a wide range of accusations such as corruption, involuntary manslaughter and sexual abuse. Headline cases from the healthcare sectors account for another significant portion of the caseload, including investigations looking into the governmental response to the Covid-19 pandemic. The team also defends companies and acts as special advisor to the CEOs of several of France's leading companies. It is involved in several international corruption and bribery cases and frequently handles sensitive cases in the media, sport and entertainment sectors. Pierre-Olivier Sur and Mathias Chichportich are in charge.
‘Mathias Chichportich offers great technical skills, responsiveness, availability, efficiency and adaptability; also great writing and oral skills.’
Former President Blaise Compaoré (Burkina Faso)
President Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta (Mali)
Ligue de Football Professionnelle
François de Rugy
MAGLOIRE NGAMBIA (GABON)
- Representing the French National Agency for Medicines in proceedings relating to Mediator, an amphetamine derivative marketed to overweight diabetics and often prescribed as an appetite suppressant.
- Representing recently nominated French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin following allegations of rape and abuse.
- Defending Vital Kamerhe (Chef de Cabinet of DRC President Félix Tshisekedi) against charges of corruption and misuse of public funds.
SCP French Cornut-Gentille manages a diverse range of cases of the highest importance, including headline tax fraud and international corruption cases. The boutique firm was also on the frontline in the prominent Orange suicides first instance trial. Pierre Cornut-Gentille is highly regarded. Pauline Lambouroud is the other key name.
Other key lawyers:
Haïk & Associés
Haïk & Associés regularly deals with major political and financial cases. The firm represents French and international companies, CAC 40 executives and high-profile individuals as some well as some African states. The practice was notably in the spotlight in the Autumn 2020 when it defended former French President Nicolas Sarkozy in a first instance trial regarding corruption accusations. The firm also handles media law and international criminal matters. Jacqueline Laffont has extensive experience. François Artuphel is also highly recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Huc-Morel Labrousse Avocats
Boutique firm Huc-Morel Labrousse Avocats' team is retained by leading French and international companies as well as by high-ranking corporate officers, CEOs and other high-profile individuals. The firm acts in several landmark cases pertaining to tax fraud, international corruption and bribery investigations. The highly recognised Nicolas Huc-Morel and the solid Cédric Labrousse co-head the practice. Julie Freal-Saison is another key member.
Other key lawyers:
Former CEO of ALTRAN
Senior partner of Baupost
SOCIETE PROTECTRICE DES ANIMAUX
- Filed charges on behalf of Françoise Bettencourt-Meyers, heiress of the L’Oréal company, against several individuals convicted for taking advantage over the claimant’s mental vulnerability in order to receive expensive gifts and large amounts of money.
- Assisting Volkswagen with the Dieselgate case.
- Defending Altran’s former CEO against charges for forgery and use of forged documents, dissemination of misleading information and presentation of misleading annual financial statements.
Kiejman & Marembert acts on behalf of companies and high-ranking executives facing international corruption investigations and trials. The firm also represents several major banks and tax lawyers in sensitive tax fraud cases in addition to handling high-profile money laundering cases. Thierry Marembert is highly regarded.
Boutique firm Cabinet Maisonneuve defends companies, corporate officers, employees and elected officials in a wide range of cases. The group manages a high volume of work dealing with high-profile corruption, abuse of company assets and financial fraud accusations. It also defended Orange’s former HR manager in a landmark first instance trial concerning a wave of employees' suicides at the company. The practice is also highly involved in matters concerning the political sphere, with a number of defence cases for high-level public agents, elected officials and other individuals facing investigations in a number of highly publicised cases under its belt. Patrick Maisonneuve ranks among France’s most regarded criminal lawyers. Also recommended are Antoine Maisonneuve and Bérénice de Warren. The three partners co-head the practice.
‘The firm has leading expertise in business criminal matters, particularly in matters of international corruption. The partners and associates are dynamic, rigorous and precise. They enjoy a strong reputation and are very appreciated on the market.’
‘Patrick and Antoine Maisonneuve get along very well and the transmission is done in excellent conditions and in the interests of the clients.’
‘High-level oratory talent, great mastery of criminal cases including large, sensitive or political cases.’
‘Antoine Maisonneuve is a remarkable, very available and talented lawyer. I especially like his keen intelligence, but also his sense of humour.’
‘Small, but extremely experienced team. Excellent analytical and synthesis skills. Very strong listening skills, high competence.’
‘The files are perfectly handled, with rigour and seriousness. Excellent assessment of strategies to put in place.’
Guy Alves (Bygmalion)
Sébastien de Montessus (Areva)
Laurent Simonin (Benalla)
Jacques Moulin (Orange)
Paris-Saint Germain Football Club
- Representing Guy Alves, executive of Bygmalion, in a dispute relating to false invoices’ during the 2007 presidential campaign of Nicolas Sarkozy.
- Defended Jacques Moulin, former HR executive at Orange, in a trial before the Court of Paris related to several suicides of employees during the restructuration of the company.
- Representing the European Parliament in its claims against three French political parties which are accused of having used European funds to finance their parties’ employees and fees.
White-collar and criminal law boutique Marsigny Gosset Avocats regularly handles sensitive cases, dealing with a wide range of issues including corporate, politics, finance and healthcare-related criminal issues. The firm was notably involved in the landmark Mediator drug scandal case. It also regularly defends French and African politicians and high-ranking governmental figures, notably defending former justice minister Jean-Jacques Urvoas in proceedings before the Cour de justice de la République, the specialised court responsible for prosecuting ministers. The firm also manages several international corruption and money laundering cases. Emmanuel Marsigny, Louis Guesdon and Cyril Gosset co-head the practice.
‘Emmanuel Marsigny and associate Arnaud Delmas have in-depth knowledge of the files entrusted to them. An excellent firm.’
Mr Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue – VICE-PRESIDENT OF EQUATORIAL GUINEA
Mr Hongwei Meng and Mrs Grace Meng – FORMER PRESIDENT OF INTERPOL AND HIS FAMILY
- Advising Jean-Jacques Urvoas on claims of violation of professional secrecy for having provided a piece of information to a member of parliament about an ongoing inquiry targeting him.
- Assisting the Vice President of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea with charges for the offence of money laundering.
- Representing Jean-Pierre Aubry in proceedings regarding the money laundering of tax fraud proceeds and taking an unlawful interest in an judicial investigation.
Taylor Wessing handles a series of highly publicised cases involving the political sphere, with several going to trial in 2020 or expected for 2021. Practice head Paul-Albert Iweins is regularly appointed by peers as well as political and public servant figures to defend them, with instructions including the defence of the prominent colleague Thierry Herzog in a landmark bribery case also involving former president of France Nicolas Sarkozy. Iweins also acts in the Bygmalion political scandal. Outside of the political field, the practice manages a caseload encompassing embezzlement, breach of trust and corruption allegations, and defends notaries and bailiffs in criminal liability cases. Other key member Benoît Goulesque-Monaux regularly acts in cases involving the cinema and media sector. Assisting clients who have suffered a cyber attack is another area of strength.
Richard FERRAND (President of the French National Assembly)
Mathieu Valbuena, French professional football player
Banque des Etats d’Afrique Centrale
SAINT GOBAIN GLASS SOLUTION
Me Maurice Lantourne, (lawyer of Bernard Tapie)
Mandarin Production- Mars Films – François OZON / PREYNAT
- Representing the lawyer of the former president of France, Thierry Herzog, in several criminal investigations regarding potential breach of professional secrecy, concealment of a violation of professional confidentiality, active bribery and active traffic of influence.
- Defending the producers of the film ‘Grace à Dieu’ from accusations that it violated the presumption of innocence of one of the accused presented in the film.
- Assisting Richard Ferrand (current president of the French national assembly) with criminal proceedings regarding taking illegal advantage concerning the rent of a building belonging to his wife to a company of which he was the managing director.
Veil Jourde has more than 30 years of experience in handling top criminal law cases in France. The firm is involved in many of the country's landmark cases, dealing with various matters ranging from international corruption and tax fraud to industrial accidents and criminal employment law issues. It also deals with several highly publicised cases involving the political sphere. Among the group's impressive caseload are its assistance of Société Générale with the signing of France’s first judicial settlement (CJIP) on grounds of international corruption allegations, its work defending UBS AG in France’s largest ever prosecuted tax fraud laundering trial, and the landmark Orange suicides trial. The team features the highly regarded Jean Veil, Georges Jourde, Emmanuel Rosenfeld, Pierre-François Veil and François Esclatine.
ABPA - Apelbaum Bendavid Poincloux Associés is a new white-collar crime boutique. Founded in January 2020 by three promising young partners, namely David Apelbaum and Michaël Bendavid, who were previously practicing at their own respective firms, and Margaux Durand-Poincloux, who was counsel at TNDA: Tuffal-Nerson Douarre & Associés, the boutique is often retained by individuals; namely entrepreneurs, high-level executives, elected members, audiovisual producers and high-net-worth individuals. The group also represents several leading industrial companies involved in major transport accidents. The busy caseload includes matters from the financial, political and industrial sectors, with a number of tax fraud evasion cases where high financial amounts are at stake. It also acts in a major bankruptcy-related case and handles noteworthy matters in the art sector. Finally, the team also takes on matters involving press law proceedings and criminal employment law.
‘The firm shows excellent and fast understanding of issues, swiftly responds and offers a strategic vision that goes beyond procedure matters but takes into account reputation risks.’
‘The firm demonstrates exceptional professionalism; it understands clients’ strategic issues, and provides particularly relevant and audacious recommendations. The firm has the ability to understand the impact of geopolitical issues surrounding a case and adapt its recommendations accordingly.’
‘A very good, dynamic and efficient team willing to do the job. They are efficient and highly experienced. They are able to handle strategic matters.’
‘A young and dynamic firm. Lawyers have great expertise and technique.’
‘The firm is particularly responsive and responds very quickly to requests. The firm is at the forefront of IT and modern means of communication.’
‘David Apelbaum has remarkable expertise. He is dynamic, responsive and highly professional. He is able to manage high-stakes international cases for high-profile clients. He is highly available and very invested in matters. He provides excellent advice.’
‘Michael Bendavid is brilliant. He is very present and available at any given moment. He is practical, quiet and accurate. He is determined to serve his clients’ interests in the best possible way. He has great strategic skills; he understands very well the way judges work and can anticipate how they will approach a case. He has remarkable pleading skills and tactical sense.’
‘Margaux Durand-Poincloux demonstrates fine analysis skills, is highly knowledgeable and provides excellent advice. She demonstrates great tactical sense and masters facts and legal issues of her files in an outstanding way.’
Olivier Carvin (Maranatha Group President)
Church of Scientology
M’jid El Guerrab
Otis Elevator Company
Pratt & Whitney
- Represented SNCF Réseau in the criminal case following a train accident in Brétigny-sur-Orge in 2013.
- Represented a former Captain in the French army prosecuted for corruption and breach to public procurement rules related to the public procurement for the construction of the new Ministry of Defence.
- Represented a Russian national, former billionaire and political opponent, in various criminal procedures in France for fraud, extortion and illegal spying, related to attempts at depriving him of his international assets.
At ADVANT Altana, the dedicated team regularly assists leading companies with various fraud and corruption cases. Recently, the firm further diversified its caseload with new mandates dealing with criminal tax, environmental proceedings and cyber attacks. It also has a strong practice defending construction and engineering companies in employment criminal cases. The team recently provided strategic advice to clients on criminal liability during France’s Covid-19 pandemic first lockdown. Philippe Goossens heads the practice which also includes counsels Laetitia Daage and Gildas Robert.
August Debouzy handles a consistently growing corruption and money laundering-related caseload. The firm is regularly involved in cross-border corruption cases involving French and foreign judicial authorities or regulators and offers first-hand experience in handling US OFAC requests and in assisting clients with French and US settlement agreements with various authorities. The firm also defends major companies or their top executives in a range of other criminal corporate and fraud investigations and trials. Lately, the firm has also been appointed to act on matters directly linked to the Covid-19 pandemic; such as assisting retirement homes and nursing homes with investigations on involuntary manslaughter grounds. Astrid Mignon Colombet, who arrived in December 2019 from Soulez Larivière Avocats, is particularly recommended, as is Benjamin van Gaver. They both co-head the practice alongside Basile Ader. Marie Danis and counsel Olivier Attias also contribute.
MR. OLIVIER BARBEROT
MR. GEERT GEKIERE
MR. HUGH BAILEY
Philip Morris Group
- Assisting Airbus with the first coordinated resolution of a foreign bribery case by US, UK and French authorities resulting from the first international investigation jointly conducted by the three prosecuting authorities.
- Assisting Société Générale with the first coordinated resolution of foreign bribery case by US and French authorities.
- Advising Mr. Olivier Barberot, former head of Human resources of France Telecom, on the judicial investigation opened on the charges of moral harassment after some employees of the company committed suicide .
BG2V ’s team defends companies and executives in several fraud, corruption, bribery and abuse of company assets investigations and trials, often featuring international components. The practice also acts for leading international internet companies and a major French media corporation as victims of various offences, such as libels and cyber attacks. Finally, the team manages several proceedings in relation to past industrial accidents and several cases in the sports sector, including major doping and match fixing cases. Karim Beylouni and Julien Vernet co-head the practice.
‘A responsive team,; particularly efficient and always relevant.’
‘Maitre Beylouni and his associate Claire de Panafieu are always quick and efficient. They know how to make themselves available and provide strategic advice.’
Litigation boutique Boken has a strong track record of acting for banks. The firm notably assists BNP Paribas and other banks as victims of large-scale frauds. Prominent corporations from diverse industry sectors also turn to the practice, including Airbus which the team is defending in criminal investigations concerning the Rio-Paris crash. Antoine Beauquier and Silvia Lepel co-head the practice. Félix de Belloy joined Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP in March 2020.
‘The partners have a long-established practice in business criminal law and an excellent knowledge of criminal procedures and jurisdictions. The client benefits from the most appropriate advice in full confidence.’
‘Maître Silvia Lepel always demonstrates great availability, responsiveness, efficiency and rigour in the follow-up of files. I appreciate the excellent interpersonal skills of the whole team.’
‘Cabinet BOKEN has many strengths: availability in handling urgent cases, quality of discussions and immediate understanding of the issues. The very practical approach makes it possible to deliver advice which can be implemented immediately with supporting results.’
‘Excellent empathy and understanding of files.’
Papa Massata Diack
Caisse d’Epargne du Languedoc Roussillon
Caisse Nationale des Huissiers de Justice (CNHJ)
- Assisting Airbus with the defence in the context of the criminal investigations regarding the crash of the Airbus AF447 during travel between Rio and Paris.
- Defending Papa Massata Diack as one of the defendants in a major corruption case affecting the international athletics league.
- Defending CGFI before the AMF.
Litigation firm Bougartchev Moyne Associés acts for French and international companies and banks as well as for individuals, such as company executives and Russian oligarchs. The firm notably defends major industrial, defence and aerospace companies, and has good experience of handling cross-border matters in relation to international corruption, tax fraud, money laundering, criminal banking law and bribery accusations. It is involved in several sensitive cases. Kiril Bougartchev and Emmanuel Moyne are the heads of the practice. Senior associates Sébastien Muratyan, Geoffroy Goubin and Edward Huylebrouck are also key members of the team.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton is sought after for corporate criminal cases, notably dealing with corruption, fraud and other corporate offences. The firm assisting a major company facing corruption investigations from the French National Prosecutor office (PNF) in connection with overseas corporate activities. Several high-profile tax fraud cases, including defending investment funds facing investigations in relation to past transactions, are also included in the caseload. Finally, the firm regularly assists banks with money laundering issues and has good expertise in criminal securities disputes. Among the practice heads, Jean-Yves Garaud and counsel Delphine Michot are the key contacts, with Guillaume de Rancourt and Caroline Hailey completing the lead quartet.
‘Great level of service. Unmatched ability to deal in a seamless manner with multi-jurisdictions litigation.’
‘Guillaume de Rancourt is a rising star. In particular, he is excellent at leading debates and taking depositions.’
Royal Bank of Canada
Managers of Baupost Group
Bondholders of Agripole (William Saurin)
- Acted as counsel to Royal Bank of Canada Trust Company in its successful defence before the Criminal Section of the Paris Court regarding allegations of aiding and abetting inheritance tax fraud.
- Advising Idemia on an investigation by the World Bank’s Integrity Vice Presidency into allegations of corruption in relation to a Bangladeshi contract,as well as with related internal investigations.
- Representing a manager of The Baupost Group before the Criminal Section of the Paris Court in connection with a tax fraud case.
Coat Haut de Sigy de Roux
White-collar crime firm Coat Haut de Sigy de Roux, founded by Julian Christen Coat and Claire de Haut de Sigy, is retained by many of France’s largest banks to defend them in white-collar crime proceedings and for civil and commercial claims. The practice also assists banks with compliance and international sanction issues. The founding duo manages a large caseload, including several sensitive money laundering cases and mass claims involving high financial amounts or reputational risks. Third partner Louis-Marie de Roux deals with a wide range of matters, spanning fraud and corruption. His track record notably includes defending several elected officials as well as a former advisers to the International Association of Athletics Federations facing bribery accusations in relation to the Russian doping scandal.
‘High-level advice, always efficient and adapted to the matter at stake.’
‘Responsive, swift and efficient.’
‘Claire de Haut de Sigy offers quality and reliable advice.’
Mr. Habib Cissé
GIE Cartes Bancaires
- Advising GIE CB and its French and/or overseas bank members on investigations before the criminal courts with regard to issues which could potentially damage the credibility of the company’s credit card purchase system.
- Defending and representing the preisdent and the executive officer of Locam in a matter regarding misleading commercial practices involving over 200 plaintiffs.
- Defending CACIB as a civil party concerning charges brought against a number of former executives for a €100m fraud committed on the derivatives market and in relation to convertible bonds.
De Castro & Stasse was established in 2015 by François De Castro and Julia Stasse, both formerly at TEMIME. The boutique has steadily grown since, with Laureen Kraftchik making partner in 2017. The firm defends leading companies and individuals in economic and financial cases, such as tax evasion and fraud cases, including the defence of one of UBG AG’s former executives in the appeal proceedings pertaining to the landmark UBS AG tax fraud case. The team also defended Les Laboratoires Servier, alongside several other firms, in a groundbreaking first instance trial pertaining to the Mediator healthcare scandal.
Les Laboratoires Servier
Dieter Kiefer (former executive of UBS AG)
Philippe Moryoussef (Ex-Barclays Euribor trader)
- Defending Servier group in the Mediator case, one of the biggest French pharmaceutical scandals.
- Defending Dieter Kiefer, former executive of UBG AG, against accusations that the company orchestrated a tax fraud scheme.
- Defending Philippe Moryoussef, ex-Barclays Eurobor trader, in the context of extradition proceedings.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. manages a diverse caseload. The practice regularly assists banks, companies and individuals as victims or plaintiffs with major fraud cases, and defends companies, CEOs and executives as well as banks in tax fraud, breach of trust and bankruptcy-related criminal investigations and trials. Bruno Quentin assists SNCF Mobilités with criminal proceedings initiated following the Eckwersheim train accident in November 2015. The practice also acts in cross-border investigations, handles matters before African courts, and conducts internal investigations. Sophie Scemla is also recommended. Quentin and Scemla direct the practice together with Jean-Philippe Pons-Henry.
- Assisting Natixis with its trial before Paris Criminal Court for the 2008 publication of false or misleading information regarding the situation of the bank within the framework of the subprime crisis.
- Assisting SNCF Mobilités with criminal proceedings initiated following a major train accident.
- Advised a former top manager of Business France, a public agency in charge of promoting French foreign investments, on criminal investigations conducted for favouritism in the framework of the organisation of a ‘French Tech’ event during the CES in Las Vegas in 2016.
Headed by Olivier Gutkès, Gutkès Avocats defends companies and executives. The practice is involved in several files dealing with past industrial accidents, notably defending TÜV Rheinland, who had certified the PIP implants as compliant, in the landmark fraud PIP breast implant case. The firm also acts for executives in major international corruption cases and notably acted in the landmark Airbus bribery case. Finally, it also handles criminal securities cases such as insider trading and assists major companies with criminal employment law infringements.
Executives (individuals, managers)
French CAC 40 companies
French subsidiaries of foreign companies
- Advising Tüv Rheinland on a criminal public health law case relating to breast prostheses PIP.
- Representing an Airbus executive in an international corruption case.
- Defending a London banker in a case of insider misconduct that clarified the definition of the offence of passing on insider information.
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP hired Félix de Belloy from Boken in March 2020 to lead its litigation and white-collar practice boutique. The team handles a broad range of matters, dealing with complex money laundering, corruption, fraud and bribery issues, often in an international context or involving foreign authorities. It acts for major companies and their high-ranking executives as well as for several leading French banks. The practice is involved in several landmark cases, including the Karachi Affair. Working hand-in-hand with the US practice, the Paris group also handles the French aspects of high-profile cases and advises clients on US and French investigations. Counsel Marie-Agnès Nicolas also contributes.
Other key lawyers:
‘ Félix de Belloy and his team are great professionals.’
Former Prime Minister Edouard Balladur
- Representing Société Générale in both civil and criminal investigations relating to bribery allegations.
- Representing former Prime Minister Edouard Balladur in an investigation into alleged kickbacks paid by the French government to Pakistani officials, linked to arms contracts which are alleged to have financed the defendant’s presidential campaign.
- Representing the former president of Landsbanki in criminal proceedings in France, alleging that customers had been defrauded by the bank.
King & Spalding LLP launched its Parisian white-collar crime practice in August 2020 after hiring a team from Bird & Bird led by Jean Tamalet, one of France’s most promising criminal lawyers. The team also includes US lawyer and counsel Amy Madigan, who was already at the firm, and senior associate Aurélie Chazottes. The firm, a well-established heavyweight in the field in the US, has quickly became a major player in France, too. The practice benefits from the firm's strong international platform which makes it particularly suited to handle complex cross-border cases. The team is notably one of Carlos Ghosn’s defense representatives in the eponymous case. The team acts for many leading French and international corporations as well as high-profile individuals. It is involved in several high-profile fraud and corruption cases and several highly significant domestic cases, notably in relation to bankruptcy proceedings.
McDermott Will & Emery AARPI handles a diverse range of cases, including fraud, criminal employment law and international corruption accusations. The firm is regularly involved in matters connected to the public sector or involving high-level public servants. Experience includes acting for leading companies in sensitive international corruption matters, representing major international sports institutions, and financial and stock market-related cases. Alexis Werl is in charge.
‘Alexis Werl is a very good lawyer who is very involved in his cases and a remarkable speaker.’
Crédit Immobilier de France (CIF-D)
- Assisting Crédit Immobilier de France with the so-called Apollonia matter, a highly-publicised criminal investigation relating to the largest real estate fraud in French history.
Navacelle has particular expertise in defending employees in high-profile corruption investigations involving French and international authorities. The firm is also involved in a major French tax fraud case concerning a well-known bank. Other work includes defending French and international companies facing French investigations on grounds of corruption, tax fraud and money laundering. Stéphane De Navacelle is recommended and co-heads the practice with Clémentine Duverne and Julie Zorrilla, who both joined the partnership in 2020.
Pech de Laclause Bathmanabane & Associés is able to deal with a wide range of criminal disputes. The firm primarily manages several sensitive criminal employment law files, such as employees’ concealment and poaching accusations, on behalf of leading French and international companies. It is defends companies, their management or their insurers in relation to industrial accidents, especially in the food sector. The practice is finally also involved in national and international corruption, fraud and embezzlement investigations. Philippe Pech de Laclause and Emmanuel Gouesse are recommended.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP acts in a series of highly complex and high-stakes corruption, bribery and money laundering cases on behalf of leading French companies, often involving parallel internal investigations and audits. The practice notably represents Renault in the Carlos Ghosn case and is involved in several matters in the aerospace and defence industries. It also acts in sensitive human right cases. Practice head Kami Haeri and counsel Valérie Munoz-Pons are recommended. The arrival of Eric Russo in January 2021 made headlines and should further strengthen the practice – he is the first prosecutor from the French financial prosecution office (PNF) to join a law firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘Kami Haeri is an exceptional lawyer, who perfectly masters his cases and expresses problems and solutions extremely clearly.’
Frank Attal (Bygmalion case)
- Assisting Mr. Franck Attal, chief executive of the company Event & Cie, with the criminal charges he faces as part of the ‘Bygmalion case’.
- Assisting Renault with the Carlos Ghosn case on internal and international compliance issues as well as with the criminal aspects of the investigation.
Reinhart Marville Torre defends several leading French companies and banks in several highly sensitive national and international corruption, fraud and embezzlement investigations led by the French prosecutor's office. The firm handles a broad range of cases, including several mattersfrom the retirement home sector. Jean Reinhart is particularly recommended. Agathe Moreau, who specialises in liability, professional and products risks management, regularly defends companies in matters regarding industrial accidents, often involving their employees. Olivier Bluche acts for executives in labour criminal law issues. They above partners all co-head the practice alongside Louis-Marie Absil and Marc Susini. Counsel Marion Lambert-Barret also intervenes.
the occupational physician of Air France
the family of French Gendarmerie Nationale forces dead in the line of duty
- Advising Areva (Uramin) in the context of an investigation pending to the chief of fraud, insider trading and corruption of foreign public officials.
White-collar criminal law boutique Schapira Associés acts for international and French SMEs and several leading corporations as well as for individuals, such as corporate officers, high-ranking public servants and political figures. The firm recently grew its portfolio further by adding new clients from the banking, insurance and engineering sectors. Among the recent caseload, the defence of a former mayor in a high-profile political case and several highly sensitive international corruption, money laundering and embezzlement cases stand out. Criminal securities cases are also visible in the team's varied caseload. Sebastien Schapira is well known in his field. The firm recently restructured its team, with former partner Marion Grégoire leaving the boutique, while Lorraine Delva joined from Cabinet Bourdon & Associés AARPI, adding her expertise in press and criminal family law.
Soulez Larivière Avocats
In January 2020, highly regarded founding partner Daniel Soulez-Larivière became of counsel and entrusted the management of Soulez Larivière Avocats to Aurélia Grignon and Capucine Lanta de Bérard, who both did most of their careers at the firm. The criminal law boutique is highly recognised for its impressive track record and enjoys the trust of the largest French and international companies as well as that of individuals. While the firm handles a broad range of cases, it has extensive experience in large-scale industrial and healthcare criminal cases. It is currently involved in two high-profile cases concerning factory explosion events, including the landmark AZF case. Complex cross-border issues, including international discovery and seizure procedures, and advising companies or individuals on settlement agreement negotiations with national and foreign regulators, notably in relation to bribery and corruption accusations, are other key pillars of the practice. Increasingly, the firm is solicited to assist with sensitive criminal employment law issues, including harassment allegations, and also provides strategic compliance guidance. Several high-profile corruption and fraud cases are visible in the caseload. Astrid Mignon Colombet joined August Debouzy in December 2019.
Other key lawyers:
- Defending a factory and its manager following an explosion in 2001.
VIGO Cabinet d'Avocats
VIGO Cabinet d'Avocats particularly stands out for its ability to deal with challenging cases concerning healthcare, product safety and industrial issues. The firm's substantial caseload includes a major food scandal and possible criminal proceedings in relation to the sanitary management of retirement homes during the Covid-19 pandemic. Additionally, the team also defends companies and individuals facing major international corruption, fraud and money laundering cases, including a high-profile doping scandal matter and assisting a human rights organisation with new types of proceedings initiated against a bank in relation to human rights violations committed outside France. The firm also provides compliance assistance. Practice head Emmanuel Daoud is recommended. Also involved are Emmanuel Mercinier, César Ghrénassia and counsel Clarisse Le Corre.
‘High level of responsiveness and holistic approach.’
‘Inventive, responsive, tailored advice.’
Visconti & Grundler
Visconti & Grundler is a very solid white-collar criminal and financial litigation boutique. The team is regularly appointed by high-ranking executives of leading French companies to assist with high-profile international corruption cases. The practice is involved in several very significant cases, including international matters, for example involving Brazil, Syria and Kazakhstan. The firm also acts for leading French energy producers. Practice heads Benjamin Grundler and Julien Visconti are recommended.
Sonia Artinian, former top executive of Lafarge
Rifaat Al Assad
Former top Executive of Technip
Former VP of Alstom Transport
G Limat (Dassault Case)
- Representing a former senior executive of Lafarge in on-going criminal investigations opened in France regarding Lafarge’s activity in Syria during the Civil War.
- Assist Reefat Al Assad, former Vice President of Syria, with ongoing proceedings in France relating to ill-gotten gains.
- Representing a former executive of Technip in proceedings related to the Petrobras scandal.
White & Case LLP has particular expertise in assisting banks and companies facing domestic and cross-border investigations from French, US or UK regulators and judicial authorities. The dedicated practice also defends several banks facing criminal proceedings and class actions in relation to fraud accusations, and acts for banks that have fallen victim to cyber fraud. Another key area of work is the defence of top executives in sensitive cases. Key members include practice head Ludovic Malgrain, Jean-Pierre Picca and Jean-Lou Salha, who made partner in January 2021.
BNP Paribas Personal Finance
- Advising BNP Paribas Personal Finance in relation to criminal and civil complaints filed by hundreds of plaintiffs concerning a portfolio of real estate loans granted in Swiss Francs (the Helvet Immo case).
- Providing day-to-day advice to Facebook Inc. through the review of the content posted online and its compliance with French laws and regulations.
- Represented BNP Paribas Securities Services in the context of criminal proceedings before the criminal court of Paris as a victim of aggravated money laundering and fraud committed by one of its employee.
- Acted for a Brazilian businessman accused of participating in a corrupting organisation and abuse of assets of a French company.
- Advising a Russian political refugee on a criminal complaint.
‘Very strong team with a real team spirit. Members of the team are brilliant and reactive. The billing is fair. The team is extraordinarily responsive.’
Betto Perben Pradel Filhol
‘Martin Pradel has remarkable and rare expertise in dealing with international law cases.’
French Bar Council
David Thomson, reporter
Middle Eastern diplomat
Conseil National des Barreaux
- Representing a French industrial accused of being involved in the killing of thousands of Kurdish civilians by a chemical attack during the Saddam Hussein era.
- Defending a businessman involved in the alleged Libyan financing of the former French president Nicolas Sarkozy.
- Representing the family of Floribert Chebeya, executive director of the NGO Voix des sans Voix, following his death in 2010.
‘Outstanding combination of profound business acumen and in-depth legal experience, enabling a balanced perspective.’
‘Very fast response times, reachable at any time.’
‘Good solid team – easy to work with and approachable. Well versed and respected.’
‘Antoine Kirry, Robin Loof and Alexandre Bisch are all excellent.’
‘Highly professional and reliable, always available and perfect to work with.’
‘Antoine Kirry as a partner and Alexandre Bisch as international counsel are both outstanding attorneys and of great value for the client.’
- Representing the Group CFO of a major industrial company in a multi-jurisdictional criminal investigation regarding allegations of improper sales practices and corruption.
- Representing a US company in a French Financial Market Authority (AMF) investigation regarding allegations of various market abuses.
- Assisting a US company with conducting an internal investigation about potential illegal practices of France-based employees in connection with a business in Africa.
- Advising France Télévisions on a defamation case brought by incent Bolloré, Bolloré SA and Bolloré Africa Logistics following the broadcast of the program ‘Complement d’enquête Vincent Bolloré, un ami qui vous veut du bien?’
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
‘Well-integrated international practice, responsiveness, pragmatism and consideration of strategic issues.’
‘Arthur Dethomas is an excellent lawyer, a staunch and skillful advocate for his clients. Very good strategist and expert in both business law and US law, he is particularly able to set defence strategies in criminal litigation, especially cross-border.’
‘Samuel Sauphanor is very dynamic and rigorous. The firm inspires confidence.’
‘ Great availability of Samuel Sauphanor who responds with strong investment. He has good rigour and methodology.’
‘LPA-CGR is very competent in criminal law.’
‘Alexandre de Konn is an excellent professional, who knows the procedure perfectly. He is very serious and competent in his analyses.’
‘Alexandre de Konn is an expert in real estate and construction criminal law. He is a strategist, teacher, hyper efficient with exceptional results. He is particularly accessible, communicates easily with management and workers on the site, and provides very reassuring support to teams who are completely foreign to these matters. He knows how to gain the confidence of stakeholders and effectively prepares them for situations that are stressful for them. His non-aggressive attitude and his very technical approach to the matters make him a lawyer who is listened to by magistrates.’
‘Exceptional involvement and availability of the teams, which is very reassuring. Good preparation of files. Very good sense of service.’
BIBLIOTHEQUE NATIONALE DE FRANCE (BnF)
SOCIÉTÉ FONCIÈRE LYONNAISE (SFL)
CONSEIL REGIONAL DES NOTAIRES DE LA COUR D’APPEL DE PARIS
LINDT & SPRÜNGLI
- Assisting the Bibliotheque Nationale de France as civil party to proceedings following a complaint filed against a private person who intentionally started a fire in the national library during the ‘Nuit Blanche’ in Paris.
- Assisting a major property listed company as a complainant in a case involving improper claims filed by private persons for the purpose of blackmail or extortion related to the biggest real estate projects in Paris.
- Assisting the Paris Regional Chamber of Notaries with criminal proceedings involving a Parisian notary accused of selling the unique manuscript of Chateaubriand’s ‘Mémoires d’outre-tombe’.
ELECTRICITE DE FRANCE (EDF SA)
Center for Development and Enterprise (CDE)
62 investors in ARISTOPHIL case
UNADEV (Union national des aveugles et déficients visuels)
ELECTRICITE DE FRANCE (EDF)
ELECTRICITE DE FRANCE (EDF)
OFFICE FRANCAISE POUR LA BIODIVERSITE
150 CLIENTS OF THE WEBSITE PEMIBLANC
ROUEN / LUBRIZOL
- Advised and represented the interests of EDF as a civil claimant in the ‘Mallay’ corruption case.
- Advised and represented the interests of the CDE, a former European Institution in charge of financing development projects abroad, in proceedings against its former director for corruption charges.
- Advising and representing many groups in mass fraud cases.
Seban & Associés
- Advising Voies navigables de France on criminal proceedings regarding the pollution of canal de l’Escaut’s waters.
- Advising a ‘civil party’ on proceedings relating to the Corbeil Essonnes municipal elections fraud.
- Advising Port Autonome de Paris on criminal proceedings opened following the accidental drowning of a child in the Seine in 2018.
SCAEL (Société Coopérative d’Eure et Loir)
Air France / Air France KLM
- Represented a multinational telecommunications, information technology and consumer electronics company which was being prosecuted for corruption of foreign public officials in South America, with the matter involving contradictory decisions in France and in the US.
- Represented SCAEL (a major agricultural group of companies) in proceedings against its former lawyer being prosecuted for fraud by the French public prosecutor.